Speaker 1: Ah, Yes, Ben and Skin Show ninety some point one The Eagle, thank you for hanging out with us today.
Speaker 2: Don't forget tomorrow. Christina's back.
Speaker 1: Ben won't be back till Tuesday, but me and Kat and Christina are going to play the best clips of our show from the year twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Kat has selected these I don't know what they are, and then he went and had listeners vote. I don't even know the ones you picked. So you have the results. It's all tallied, right, yes, and it's all ranked the top twenty four of the year.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be fun. Okay, It's always fun. I trust enough, I trust you, dude.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: On Friday, I was in my cards. We did the best off and it was the old twenty twenty one countdown. Uh huh, just kind of a blash in the past. Yep. Pretty crazy, yep, So it'll be fun. Twenty twenty one. That was so okay with that?
Speaker 1: Okay, hold on, I gotta do the math so that we would have been at the Eagle for a year and a half by the yeah, okay, gotcha.
Speaker 2: I think is I want to say, when did you get cancer?
Speaker 1: I got cancer? Oh, at the end of twenty twenty one. Yeah, because well I knew I had it. I had the surgery in December of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, man, that was a fun year, wasn't it? When I had cancer? So anyways, tomorrow is going to be a blast.
Speaker 1: We're going to throw down the clips of the year as determined by you, the Eagle listener. What's coming up in the Weekday Update here in like thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: Well, we've had some break ins locally, thefts involving some of our most famous athletic superstars in town. Okay, we'll get to all that.
Speaker 1: I saw a movie yesterday and I do want to talk about it, but before we do that, the Weekday Update is so jam packed. This is the kind of thing normally we would put in the Weekday Update, but it kind of deserves its own space because President Carter, Jimmy Carter, who was the first president that I remember like that, I have memories of Wow, Okay, yeah, you know, I have a distinct memories of Jimmy Carter being on the news. And this is back when there was only three channels and PBS, Fox wasn't even a thing yet.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about Fox news.
Speaker 1: I'm about Fox that shows The Simpsons didn't even exist yet. You had CBS, NBC, ABC and PBS, and then a couple like Local, you know, that would show what hapening reruns. So if you turned on the news in the late seventies, all you saw was people freaking out over inflation. Then you saw people freaking out over gas prices. I vividly remember news footage of lines wrapped around the block of people waiting to get gas there was a gas shortage. And then you had the hostages in Iran, and that was the three things that it's all they talked about. And it just felt like even as a you know, seven year old or eight year old, you know, just standing in the living room and the television is on, and you can feel you don't understand the complexity of the situation, but you feel emotion, You feel the way adults are acting, You feel what is coming through your television. Even as a seven or eight year old, I sat there and thought, so, it's all that guy's fault, huh, Because that's the.
Speaker 2: Way it was presented. I'm telling you sure everything was presented as Jimmy Carter is the worst president ever, and it's the end of the world. Well, and he was, you know, taking over for Gerald Ford, who took over for Nixon, right right, So, and then it was him versus Gerald Ford. Yes, in seventy six. I say, I've always had a high opinion of presidents because my first president that I remember is Bill Clinton. So I remember maybe some Dana Carvey doing George H. W. Bush, but remembering him in action. No, remembering Clinton in action. Yes, when you're ten and you're saying impeachment headlines and you're right for what? Oh for that. Carter's presidency was such a disaster. We got twelve years of Republican government, you had eight years of Reagan, and then his vice president was Bush. And you know, Bush was just I think Bush went up against Ducaucus. I think so too, and I don't even think it was I mean it was they mopped the floor. He mopped the floor with Ducaucus. So this is all. Did you mention the Cold War two? Did you say that it was?
Speaker 1: To me, I associate more of that with the escalation of the nuclear crisis, and to me, that's an eighties thing. I didn't think Now, the Cold War started in the sixties, Uh, but I thought more about the Cold War when it was the eighties and Reagan was the president and Gorbachev was the was the Russian.
Speaker 2: And whatever minis or whatever he's prime minister. So I didn't think about that that much back then.
Speaker 1: But when I was in school in the eighties, we had you know, uh, nuclear bomb drills and there was even a remove there was a made for TV movie called The Day After, Yeah, you know, and so that was all the hype of the eighties.
Speaker 2: Why did they show that trying to freak us out? Man good? Really? Well. The the thing about Jimmy Carter is I remember, you know, when he was put in hospice. Yes, he's been hospital for two years, and then obviously his wife Roslynd passed in twenty twenty three. I think most famously the picture of Joe and Jill Biden kneeling down next to them as they're tiny in that chair. It's so weird.
Speaker 1: If you haven't seen the picture, google Joe Jill Biden, Jimmy Carter, Roslyn Carter small chair picture or something.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy.
Speaker 1: It's the weirdest camera angle. It looks like like a fun house or something. And they both don't they have blankets on him.
Speaker 2: You know, it makes you ask the question, are Jimmy and Roslyn Carter small or the bidens giants? And we had seen so much of the bidens we were pretty sure they weren't giants. We didn't think so. But man, what a weird camera trick. But yeah, so wild. And then did you see the governor Abbott news No, he he originally issued his condolences for Rosalind Carter, who had passed away a year ago. Really, that's tough, man, when when you have to pretend like you care about these things and issue out these statements and then you just really following it too closely. But ah, you know, blame it on an injury. I would like to declare, I would like to make a statement. Okay, we live in a world of too many statements.
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 2: We don't have to that's a good statement. We don't have to have some official declaration on everything that happens. I agree, And I get it. You know, it's like, dude, you're just a governor. Man, It's okay, like let let let w and let Bill and let Trump and let you know, Obama, let them weigh in on this. There are the living presidents. There are the four living oh and Biden. Of course Biden. Let those five men weigh on it. We don't need abbot weigh in. Okay. So did you remember the last time you saw Jimmy Carter? Yeah, you talk about when they his birthday and his birthday or was at the eclipse. I thought it was just one my best birthday. When they mailed him outside to look at the moon or something, look at the stars. They did a salute and fired off some firecrackers. It was like, really terrifying. It was like a mummy. I can't believe. You know.
Speaker 1: People go, uh, you know, we're mourning Jimmy Carter and are you sad? And I'm like, man, once you get to that age, to me, it's not sad. It's like, it's just an amazing that guy did that for a hundred years. And think about the stress of being considered one of the worst presidents of all time and nothing's gonna, you know, take years off your life like stress. If that guy hadn't been president, he would have lived to one hundred and fifty. It's insane.
Speaker 2: What a success story his life is. So I did some reading yesterday. What do you know or remember about. Do you remember anything about a Playboy interview that he did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the one, if I remember correctly, where he said something to the effect of he's had some impure thoughts.
Speaker 2: So is it impure thoughts? It's the campaign for the election. It was in nineteen seventy six. Here it's Hammers Gerald Ford. The difference in the two guys in terms of how open they were about their faith was pretty vast. Joe Ford kept it pretty He didn't talk about it much. Yeah, he was a part of the illuminati that worshiped the devil. Yeah. And Jimmy Carter was a very pious Southern Christian lord. So he's on the campaign trail. And in the late seventies, a good, powerful pr tool to get your message out is Playboy. Yeah. And and by the way.
Speaker 1: Jimmy Carter was looked at as a very square guy, and so him doing this interview was a big deal.
Speaker 2: And he goes into he was asked some questions about and I'm imagining I'm guessing this was only topical because JFK had been assassinated, you know, within the last ten to fifteen years. But he was asked about being scared of dying by assassination if you were elected, and he said no, because he believed in God. And then he started going into details about the concept of Christianity and sin and redemption, and then he got a little too carried away with it, and in the interview he said that he had committed lust in his heart and that he had committed adultery in his heart many times. And because that interview happened in Playboy, that's all anybody could talk about it. In fact, ferrel Ford brought it up in the debate. Yeah, okay, the little playing a little dirty there. But in the seventies it was so that was such an insane thing to imagine that a guy might go spank the monkey while thinking of another woman with lust in his heart. He committed adultery in his heart. But it's a very strange juxtaposition because also in the seventies it's like everyone's doing cocaine and having orgies, like dude Disco is the seventies. And yeah, have you ever seen the documentary I think it's called Jimmy Carter Rock and Roll President. I haven't. I've seen the trailer for it. It's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I shouldn't say it's great, it's really good because I didn't know any of that about Jimmy.
Speaker 2: Carter, but he's a huge music fan. Yeah, and his uh you know when they have these I have the trailer if you want to hear. Oh, yeah, absolutely. I think I rolled this trailer in when he was put on hospice two years ago. Okay, I've been saving this on my computer. Got it. So this was a CNN documentary all the time ago.
Speaker 3: One of the things that have held America to get has been the music that we share and love.
Speaker 2: Jimmy Carter used music in a way that helped him in his politics that had never been done quite that way.
Speaker 3: Bob Dylan has been one of my best friends, along with William Nelson. When Willi Nelson wrote his part of Bierophay, he confessed that he smoked pot in the White House, and he says that his companion was one of the servants at the White House actually was one of my sons. With all the all was against him, he still did what he thought was right.
Speaker 2: That's not a bad pattern for all of us to follow. We now had a president that started to see the world the way we saw it. His love for music makes sense to me because music is the voice of the heart. One of the reasons that musicians were drawn to President Carter. He was a man of the earth, for God's sake. He was a painut farmer. That was the music of change and dissidence.
Speaker 3: There was a risk politically for that, and it didn't matter to him. I think music is the best proof that people have one thing in common, no matter no matter what language his speak.
Speaker 1: All right, it's great, dude, it's a wonderful watch. And it's a lot of stuff that I didn't know. But that's the thing I think. I think history smiles kindly on Jimmy Carter in a way that the people that were adults and lived through that era do not. But he was a honest to a fault. He was what we would hopefully get out of a leader, an honest, good person that genuinely cares about the people and wants to be in that position to help people, not for self gain, not for self interest, not to make the presidency all about their individual success and what can create an empire for themselves. That's kind of like what these principles of the men and women that left Europe and came here in the first place.
Speaker 2: Those were some of the ideals that they valued. That's what a lot of the language of the Declaration of Independence is about. Stuff in the constitution. Those are those ideals, Those are the ideals he stayed so true to it backfired on him. He was honest to a fault, and he made decisions that he thought were the right decisions that sometimes caused economic problems.
Speaker 1: I mean, one of the things he had to deal with. He was the guy that had to tell all these athletes they weren't going to get to go to Moscow and compete in the Olympics because of the tension with Russia. And he knew that was the right thing to do, but that was going to be a very unpopular decision.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: His history as a president, I mean, people always talk about he's.
Speaker 2: Responsible for the inflation.
Speaker 1: Look, that's the way economic things happen, right, there's tides, they go and they come. The conservative movement that came after Carter, the front part of the eighties was an explosion that was fueled by conservative economic principles, and then by the end of the eighties it was an absolute disaster. And I know my dad was a small business owner in Texas that was impacted by the nineteen eighty six tax bill and the savings and loan crisis. And if you have all this deregulation, you can have things like savings and loan crisis. The country went through it again in two thousand and eight. These things happen. It's not like, you know, conservative economic principles are always right, and it's not like liberal conservative principles are always right. There's a lot of factors that go in here, and there's a lot of push and pull. Jimmy Carter was the president at a time period where inflation was going to happen, and his presidency did a very horrible job of managing it. And then you had the gas crisis going on because of what was happening in the Middle East.
Speaker 2: One two things I read that stuck out to me is like he hired a bunch of his Georgia buddies who didn't have the experience needed to give his tenureous president, you know, a good legacy, I guess, especially on the foreign policy. I forgot who said this. I saw someone basically had put out. He will be remembered as maybe one of the worst presidents, although I think that's a long list of people who are worst presidents because anything you do that's bad. He's on you right, right right as one of the worst presidents, but maybe the best ex president. Yeah, that's great, cool, Yeah, dude, we talked about this habitat for humanity. Yeah, and it's not just I support this, it's picking up a hammer even in his nineties and going in building houses like he is a good, genuine person that loves people, all people. But man, he's so small and so old. So there you go, dude. It sucks that we didn't get to Greg Gumbel rip to you. Why don't we do that at uh the Big Finish?
Speaker 3: Nah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Left time you'll see coming up at five point forty in the Big Finish, you'll see. But before we get to that, there's been burglaries for famous people in town and KT is on the case. We'll give you the details next right here on the Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one.
Speaker 2: The Eagle