Speaker 1: Check podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 1: Two nothing, It's Alva not so fast coho breath with John Taylor. I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 4: And Rick dolly Wall I had a cherry tree, Little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and munch on news cherry.
Speaker 2: Years Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 1: Ten o'clock in downtown Vancouver where the Paul Carsons studio. Thanks for tuning in, the folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick dolling Wall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man of the controls or director. The voice of God is Derek Wong. How are you?
Speaker 4: How are you doing?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 4: Could be better? Oh it's going crazy, Donny.
Speaker 1: Happy Canada Day to everybody, and nice to see Rick decked out in red. My computer's freezing like hell. What's going on? Donnie? Well, it's Canada Day and again Happy Canada Day to everybody. NHL free agent period has opened. So far, nothing from the Canucks we talked to yesterday about the possibility of them acquiring a veteran defenseman, Connor Clifton from the Pittsburgh Penguins, Zach Bogosian from the Minnesota Wild. Looks like Zach Bogosian is going to extend with the Minnesota Wild. Ian Cole we talked about, not just yesterday but over the past couple of weeks about the possibility of him returning. It's not going to happen. Ian Cole has signed a one year deal, thirty seven year old defenseman, former Canuck, one year deal four point seventy five average annual value with the Chicago black Hawks. We got the free agent board here, Derek, if you don't mind, Okay, So this is what we know so far, and again this is a moving target. There'll be some other information coming down during the body of the show. Matt zukerrella from the Minnesota Wild. He goes to the Kings one year, one million dollars. A veteran winger was speaking. You know, whenever I watched the Wild play, I noticed him and this goes back to his days with the New York Rangers as well, So the Kings get him. King's also going to jump ahead to the third name on this list, Corey Perry back with the LA Kings. Remember he spent the end of last year going to the Kings to the Tampa Bayle Level goes back to LA one year, one million dollars. He's forty one years old. Good for him, Yeah, all right, hanging in there like Matt's zucarella. Mason Marchmant meanwhile, goes from San Jose five years, seven million dollar average annual value. And the first thing I thought of, and look, Mason Marchmant does agree. You can say what you want about him. And you know a lot of comments on Twitter about night and overpayment by the San Jose Sharks. That's what happens during free agency. But you got Mason Marchman and Keifer Srwood on the same team in terms of getting under the opponent's skin, they're going to do that. That's not a not a bad idea. So there you go. Ian Cole fourth name on this list has signed with the Chicago Blackhawks one year from Utah one year, four point seventy five million dollars, so so much for him returning to the Vancouver Canucks. And then you talk about former Cannucks Iliam mckayev signs with Tampa Bay four years coming over from Chicago three point eighty five million dollars average annual value. And I don't think anybody who watched Iliam mckayv in Vancouver and he had the knee issues here would would think that he would last this much or this much longer in the national hockey did well in Chicago, Chicago.
Speaker 4: Did you know what he did in Chicago outpriced himself. They tried to resign Ilia mchabb but they didn't. They couldn't give that term and that money. Donny, if you don't mind, I want to say this about Ian Cole. It came down to Chicago and Vancouver. Don he picked the Blackhawks over Vancouver. Cole would have been that culture leadership signing. Cannocks made a very strong offer. When I say a strong offer, like I'm telling you they were in it. It came down to Chicago and Vancouver for Ian Cole. This is the guy they identified to help the Ze Williams, to help the Tom Millanders, the young Peterson defenseman culture like Brendan Gallagher. They identified this guy as a culture guy, Ian Cole. It came down to Vancouver Chicago. He picked the Blackhawks. From what I was told, it was not an easy decision. He thought about it a long time and then got the done deal done with the Blackhawks. He really really thought about Vancouver, but Donny Canocks made an incredible offer to Ian Cole.
Speaker 1: He just picked chicag Meanwhile, with their attention now turned to Connor Clifton. Of the players that we've brought up over the last week or so in terms of a veteran defenseman helping out the young defenseman thirty one years old, it has been he's kicked around the NHL since twenty eighteen, American defenseman from New Jersey right hand ed. Does their attention turn to him now?
Speaker 4: I would think, yeah, So, Connor Clifton's a guy. They did look into don but he the Canucks are out on Clifton. But I want to say this to you, I wonder if the Canucks turned their attention to Luke Schen. I know you've been a fan of Shen's.
Speaker 6: Who is it?
Speaker 1: Who is so?
Speaker 4: If you missed out on Cole who is the culture leadership guy? Do you turn your attention to Luke Chen? I'm going to be monitoring whether the Canucks are looking into Luke Schen. I was told this morning there was interest. I don't know how much. But now that they've lost Cole do they turn their attention to Luke Shan for that vetter and guy in the blaue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Luke Shen moving from Winnipeg to Buffalo at the end, didn't get a lot of ice time, but no disas during there. He didn't play much during their playoffs during their post season. Okay. Meanwhile, there's also been some extensions. Now I don't think this is going to show up on our board, but arguably I don't think it's arguable, but Rasmus Anderson the number one target in free agency going into the start of the free agency period for the National Hockey League. Where it is he is going to extend with the Vegas Golden Knights, But there have been other and there have been other contract extensions around the National Hockey League. And there you go. Bow and byrom former Vancouver Giant the trade a few days ago, moving on from Buffalo to Chicago six years look at his average annual value Eric twelve and a half million dollars. Just seems like yesterday we were watching him at the LEC.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know who's going to blow past that number. A couple of guys named Quinn Hughes and Cale mccarr. Can't wait for those deals.
Speaker 1: Thanks for that.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, I think he's the highest paid defenseman in the NHL right now. Boom biroum, Yeah he is. Yeah, that's just the highest cap hit for defenseman.
Speaker 1: Michael Dick is the new general manager and head coach of the Vancouver Giants. He's going to join us around eleven fifteen or so. He was one of Bowenbyro's coaches with the Vancouver Giants. Get his thoughts on that. I've been demied off with Montreal extens eight years, nine point one two five million dollars average annual value. That could turn out to be an outstanding deal for the Montreal Canadians. Look the kids getting nine point one two five and you know, Lord knows down the road he might talk about him being undervalued, but this could end up being a very good deal at the very least for the Montreal Canadians.
Speaker 4: He's a young superstar don and this is what you got to do is pay these kids this kind of money come coming out of entry level deals. You know, there was a time when kids would come out of entry level deals and get maybe two three million. Now they're coming out of their rookie contracts and look at this going from one million to nine.
Speaker 1: It's the way the NHL, well, the salary cap going up to one hundred and four million dollars, and a lot of teams I'm not sure if this is the case with Montreal it is with Vancouver. They got to reach the floor. They got to reach The Canucks right now are seven million dollars around seven million dollars over the floor right now, But that's pending a deal of what's gonna happen with with Jake Debrusk, what's gonna happen with Brock Besser or maybe Philip Paronic If those players leave, what does that mean in terms of the floor and the Vancouver Canucks. Okay, Nico, he's sure captain of New Jersey. No surprise surprise there.
Speaker 4: He didn't want to go anywhere, and they they started gaining traction on a deal a couple of weeks ago. So that's a big piece. His name pops up in trade momors all the time, but he's not going anywhere. He's got a new five year.
Speaker 1: Deal eleven point seven million dollars a b aa V for he's here for a podcast listeners.
Speaker 4: That's a that's a pretty good number if you're if you're the Devil's and then Dan Vladar, the goaltender. He played a big role in the Flyers making the playoffs and getting the Round two. So he gets five point five uh.
Speaker 1: Seemingly out of nowhere. With Flaidar coming over from Calgary and ends up being a franchise goaltender. I think it could be a great deal for the for the Flyers. And then rad Co Goodis we you know a few days ago he gets acquired from Anaheim Mad They're going to be a tough team with the Kachuks and and gooddess you know Brad More Shawn six year extension with is that right? Six years Ryan for rad Cool Goodis one or lookod I knew my glass this year at one point five million for a rad Co Goodis, They're going to be a piece of work Florida. There's so many expectations on Florida of course earlier this week acquiring Jacob Marx from Most like Nebrowski's on his way out of Florida. Uh, they're going to be a piece of work of Florida. A lot of expectations, so you wonder if you'll be they'll be able to live up to them. All Right, what else? Got anything else happening?
Speaker 4: So we're gonna keep an eye on. The Canucks are looking for obviously Donnie a defenseman, some veteran d they lost for Berth, they lost Joseph Pierre Olivier, and so they're also looking for a tough guy out they're done. So tough guys are getting paid. They like the guy in Anaheim named Jeffrey Veel. But I'm hearing through the grapevine he might get as much as three million done on a new deal. I don't think the Canucks can afford that.
Speaker 1: And yet, but you still have to take consideration that floor with the Connucks, like one hundred and four million, I expected to go up in the next couple of years as well. Each year they have to be concerned about the floor as much as exceeding that. You hope they don't come close. Give them. The situation they're in, the rebuilding situation. You hope they don't come close to exceeding the cap. They got to be worried about the floor, like we were talking about earlier. Absolutely, and so maybe maybe a contract like that is a possibility, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 4: Are looking for de veteran if they can get a couple. They're looking for tough guy. They're also looking for centers. Eric Hall as a guy that went to LA and they checked in on him. Kevin Stunlin is a guy I want you to keep an eye on Utah six three big centermen. Keep an eye on him. The Canucks are showing interest there. Canucks had no interest in North Vancouver native Colton Scissons. Who's going to Toronto.
Speaker 1: He helped Vegas during their postseason three times.
Speaker 4: And Donnie, let me get this in what did the Canucks do two years going July first? They signed Keith for sure? Sure what to a two year, three good deal? Yeah, so this is what they need to do in a rebuild.
Speaker 1: And they signed and they traded him for a couple of draft picks, second round picks.
Speaker 4: So if you're the Canucks, you're looking for Keifer, Sure, what type deals?
Speaker 1: Two years?
Speaker 4: The guy comes here, takes off and then you can trade him at the deadline for two second round picks. That's the type of value deals Vancouver should be looking for.
Speaker 1: Is Key for sure?
Speaker 4: What type guys two years and then you sell them in a year, year and a half.
Speaker 1: Out a king's ransom? Yeah? No more Messi or Louis Erickson's right. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And by the way, Viell just got five years in Tampa Bay at two point five. There's no way the Canucks could have done that deal.
Speaker 1: No way. Okay, Canucks Development Camp Day two on the ice today in Abbotsford. We'll talk about that a little bit more later. You mentioned Pierre Olivier Joseph for whatever you called him, Pierre Olivier Joseph moving on from the Canucks wearing number seven, And we speculated about this yesterday. Brendan Gallagher coming over from the Montreal Canadians, former Vancouver Giant, is going to wear number seven for the Vancouver Canucks.
Speaker 4: Number seven, and look at him. He had the class to understand what was happening with Wayne Mackey and to make the switch. How about that don somebody else that came here, you know, didn't have that same class.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A long line, a long line of players from BC who have worn the number seven for the Vancouver Canucks. A Brandon Gallagher, Cliff Ronning, Gary Loopool, Brendan Morrison. I believe Nick Patan wore the number seven as well. I remember well a couple of things with the number seven for the Vancouver Canucks. One of my first favorite players with the Canucks Andrey Budreah. Remember Andrea bud Always remember when he's scoring a goal. When the Kaducks were two mans short against Chicago, the coliseum went went one of their early great players, Andrea Boudrea, the first player to wear number seven. The other thing I remember about number seven. Remember Chris Zimmerman, who's in the Canucks' front office, and I came up with this campaign that he stole from the Seattle Seahawks, and they were going to retire number seven for the fans. They put up a banner, had a big ceremony, the whole bit. It never took never, it never happened.
Speaker 4: Hey, seven, Pitt Martin was seven?
Speaker 1: Was he? Yes? Yes? Who doesn't remember? I believe the first player to play is one thousandth game in Vancouver as one thousandth NHL game as a remember the Vancouver Canucks Lyndon Vay were Carson SUSSI, but we don't want to go through every.
Speaker 4: Every seven Pitt Martin, I remember Pitt Martin.
Speaker 1: David Booth as well. How are we doing? Ryan? How are you? How are you busy? Morning? He saw anything new because Rick and I have been doing the show. Any signings or extensions in the last couple of minutes.
Speaker 6: The one interesting one is the Winnipeg Jets have signed Stuart Skinner two years, three point seventy.
Speaker 1: Five Connor Hellibuck And why would they be.
Speaker 6: Doing that outside of a Connor Hellibuck trade?
Speaker 1: Well, you know what with Stuart Skinner and what was the deal for two years three seven five relatively? And look, is he the perfect goaltender by but by no means, but he was making two and a half million dollars a year. Do you think the olders wouldn't want to have that deal back? That was like, honestly, but it was time for him to go and it wasn't you know, in the opinion of a lot of people who live at Evanson or Fall the oilers, because there was just so much noise about him. They have to improve their goaltending, so they make this I would say desperate move, but look looking back for what he for what he did two and a half million dollars in the finals twice. I'm okay with that. Yeah, they like to have he goes to Winnipeg, which means are we going to see a Connor Heill but move in the future by the Winnipeg jests as has been rumored. Yeah, nothing else. Maverick Bork, we didn't talk about.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 6: The trade this morning. The r f A. He's going to Nashville has been really good. Bray Maverick Bork out of Dallas, that that was the trade to Nashville.
Speaker 1: Chris McFarlane, man, Dallas was able to make a move. Yeah.
Speaker 6: If you have been following along last night and.
Speaker 4: They were offer sheet, they were petrified of an offer sheet. This is why they did that is they knew offer sheet was coming for this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay. But to Rowansky saying no to the Dallas Stars.
Speaker 6: I tell you man that that Milan Olympics is has altered the National Hockey League all those America. I mean, it's crazy, but.
Speaker 1: No, we're talking about it American player not wanting to go to American city.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the interesting thing.
Speaker 1: Was a little bit different than the Chucks.
Speaker 6: Well, the interesting thing with Warensky is that apparently, and it's mainly family reasons, I know, but he'd be open to going to Toronto.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 6: So this now it's like, what the hell was that?
Speaker 1: Trent, him and his wife are from the Detroit area. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Well the you know, would you want to go back to Detroit? Well, no, they're not a contender. Neither are the Leaves. No, I'm sure I'll tell you differently in Toronto. But yeah, yeah, but when you.
Speaker 6: Have Austin Matthews and Gavin McKenna as chips to dangle in front of you, guys, you know, I mean, are you ever really out of it?
Speaker 1: I don't know. All right, Meanwhile, let's check out what's coming up on the rest of the show. DTMC is it just me? In the eleven o'clock hour, we talked to about Michael Dick, part of the coaching staff for the AHL champion Toronto Marley She's going to join us at eleven fifteen now back with the Vancouver Giants there coach he was the head coach before a few years back. Now he's their head coach and their general manager. And of course the Giants on their way to a new facility in twenty thirty the new arena, the ten thousand Seed Arena in Surrey. Look who's joining us Just after eleven o'clock, Stanley Cup champion from Kamloops, the former Blazer, Logan stan Covin. We'll find out if he's visited with the Cup or as the Cup visited him yet. We'll talk to Logan about that big ride. The Twitter guy later this hour, and up up next from the one hundred Percent Hockey podcast. He's all over Free agency Day. John Shannon, our friend, one hundred percent Hockey, one hundred percent Canucks. John's next. Thanks so much for tuning in, folks, and again, Happy Canada today. Donnie and Dolly the team I check. Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 7: The Team is supported by Abelauctions dot ca A Closing your Business We Can.
Speaker 1: Help Able Auction specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 4: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories, or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help for a.
Speaker 1: Free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email Sales at able Auctions dot Ca dot Sales nab l E Auctions dot Ca. It is Wednesday. By the way, We're going to tell you able to connuct move in a matter of moments and folks willst take care of some business here. It is Wednesday, and all today's guests, including John Shannon, standing by and brought to you by the BC Construction Safety Alliance, making safety simpler for more than fifty seven thousand employers across BC. Want to bring the BCCSA to your job site. Safety on Tour deliveries dynamic mobile safety demos directly to your workplace at no cost to you. Visit fifty on Tour dot CA today to book your free Safety on Tour demonstration. Canucks have signed left winger American left winger Paul Cotter to a one year deal two point one five million dollars spent last year. Last couple of seasons with the New Jersey Devils. Played seventy nine games both seasons last season. This past season, nine goals, six assists fifteen points. He was a minus twenty four, so they should fit right in Vegas Gold to Knights for three seasons.
Speaker 4: Okay, So for that, what's the thing the Canucks would like about Paul Carter? I checked in with his agent Dan Milstein last night and the Canucks weren't showing interest, so they obviously made a shift this morning. He was not qualified by the New Jersey Devils a couple of days ago. So what you like about him? Down six to two hundred and thirteen pounds, Canucks get heptier. This is a pretty thick player. You want to get bigger, harder to play against. You do it with guys like this.
Speaker 1: But there you go. Paul Carter not qualified.
Speaker 4: And I knew when there was a bunch of guys not qualified the other day, Canucks went to that non qualified area to get a player like Paul Carter. We're not showing interest yesterday, but somehow got up this morning and said, you know what, let's go get Paul Carter.
Speaker 1: Well, twenty four to twenty five, sixteen goal season, so not bad. Two years with the with the Devils. Two years ago, Paul Carter with the All Science Carter like welcome back, Welcome back Carter.
Speaker 4: Hey stop, Paul, welcome back.
Speaker 1: This is with a C, not a K. Though, great show, Gabe Kaplan, you should play this song by John Sebastia. Why what's right? Why not say that John Shannon knows what we're talking about.
Speaker 4: John Travolta, Vinnie.
Speaker 1: Reno forget John Travolta, John Shannon, John Vinnie Marno Hockey Podcast on Canucks said, John, you gotta tell you know all about to welcome back Carter. Of course, a great show.
Speaker 8: Rick said, it was pretty good good. Yeah, you know, it was a pretty good show. But let's but let's you know, let's face it, Paul caught her, not Carter, like our friend Dhaliwall wants to say, caught her. You know, we're going to see a lot of this for the Canucks over the.
Speaker 1: Next couple of years.
Speaker 8: We're gonna see guys come in for one year and and try to mull through what the what the season is and hopefully they bring some veteran leadership, they bring some of his Rick point out some size. But you know, Paul cotter Is is going to be unfortunately fodder in Vancouver for at least one season.
Speaker 1: We look forward to them acquiring one Epstein in the in the near future. You didn't get that, of course, you know, I know one Epstein. What do you make of the Jets grabbing Stu Skinner John.
Speaker 8: Well, The obvious answer is that they need some insurance for the imminent trade of Connor Hellibuck. At the same time, they really needed to upgrade their backup goaltending. So if in fact Hellibuck stays there for because remember it's not as if he's under contract for one more year, he's under contract I think for four more, they needed to improve beyond what Hellibuck offers. The Winnipeg Jets lost Connor Hellibuck to surgery before Christmas, and Eric Comery couldn't do the job, and that was the reason the Jets missed the playoffs, because they when Hellibuck came back from the Olympics, they went on a bit of a terror and had a chance. They needed to have a second goaltender that could actually stop the puck every once in a while. And that's not a knock at Eric Comery other than the fact that Eric's one of the great personalities of the game. But in the end, he's not a starting goaltender. So this one there's a double edged sword. If Hellabuck stays, then they've got a great one to tandem, and if Hellabuck leaves, there's at least a little bit of insurance that they do have a starting goaltender that can work. I still expect the Jets would try to go out and find another one, too, though.
Speaker 1: Zach Vrensky says no to the Dallas Star is the latest player to say no to Dallas. What I thought Dallas was a desirable location for NHL players, John.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Well, what is happening with all these American Olympians is the strangest thing I think we've seen in a long period of time. It has nothing to do with taxes, that has nothing to do with Canadian versus American. It has everything to do with happiness and winning. That's not to say that Dallas isn't a winning team, but you know, as you guys talked about, Zach's from Detroit, is from the Midwest. Dallas is hardly the Midwest. It's the travel. They might have the worst travel in the National Hockey League right now. So unless you're going to a place like Tampa, then you want to stick in the Midwest, and what Waretzki has because of the no move situation, has the right to veto anything that he doesn't want. All I can tell you now is is the Jim Nail now feels what Jason Botteroll felt like three days ago when they turned down they or four days ago when when Jason Robertson turned down the fifteen million dollars from Seattle.
Speaker 4: These no moves, John, Do you see in the next CBA they do something about this, because like, if you're Columbus, you're sitting there going really, you know, one of your best forwards, your best defenseman, they all want out before the contract's even over.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think it probably will be discussed. But if I'm an owner and I'm going to my manager and I'm saying, well, why are we giving these things? You know, you know the agents are doing a great job of twisting arms. The agents are putting equity and a price tag on the no moves, and so can you can you find a way not to do them? And the answer is it will be harder negotiating, But you know that's going to have to be That might be a mandate from ownership as opposed to something that is collectively bargained. It's I said on our show. You may laugh at this. I said on our show, Well, okay, the contract says for no move. Well, where's the reciprocity for the team. If I sign a player with an eight year contract with no move in it, well, then he's not moving for eight years, and I know I'm protected and I can actually market around him, and I can build around him because I've got him for eight years. So how can the player ask for movement and the team can't and vice versa? How can the team not be able to be detected like the player is? And I don't know the answer, and I'm not trying to be flippant about it, but can't. Can't the terms of no move work just as much in favor for the team as it does the player. I don't have that answer.
Speaker 1: John.
Speaker 4: The NHL draft, I don't like the new setup, the couches and all this stuff. There's no managers there, there's all the teams, aren't there. What's the future of that setup?
Speaker 8: I'm hearing there's a bit of pressure to go back to the old system. Okay, where it's basically I think one of the great conventions of all time, every member of hockey operations of thirty two teams under one roof. But I still think that there is enough managers that like the setup the way they are because they're in their home environment, with all their files, with all of their data a fingertip available to them, and and a lot more people available to them. So I think they in the end, you know, we watched it wasn't as magnificent as previous drafts, but it's only two days and it's over and now we're onto something else. And I think in terms of where the draft is, what the draft is, I'm not sure how important that is. TV ratings were the same for this type of draft.
Speaker 1: As the old draft.
Speaker 8: The information that is, you know, that is disseminated, The information is number one. Gavin McKenna gets drafted. Well, how is that different in this system than the old system, And the answer is it's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, let's let's go on to another topic, you know, come on, sorry seriously, yeah, yeah, if it was Boublay, I would wouldn't have had a problem there you go. No, I mean I like Boublay, you know, yeah, But you know, in the end, though, you know, we we we and our world in the inner and the draft is more important for the teams than it is the audience. The draft is more important for the players than it is the audience. So you have to get it right for the teams first and the players second, and then we come third. That's my opinion.
Speaker 6: At least you.
Speaker 1: Never see a person hang up a phone quicker or and a phone call quicker. If the Leafs asked Michael Bublay to announce their first overall draft pick, that would would would not happen. John, I got to tell you our Bay side inbox. If you can go in the wide shot here for a second, Derek, if you don't mind white shot at John, you don't mind a single shot. There so many people commenting on your television set up and your man cave. Very impressive.
Speaker 8: Okay, Okay, So so the top one is sports Net, the one closest to me is t s N, and the one is the the England versus the Democratic Republic of Congo game.
Speaker 1: Yes, which has a surprising score so far at this point.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So if anybody's recording it, I'm not going to give you the one nothing score.
Speaker 1: Now, and it's not for England and that's great. You gave us that information about your man cave, John, But I'm I'm kind of unhappy that I asked, no, no, no.
Speaker 8: No, you don't have check TV on check TV's on the iPad right here?
Speaker 1: Perfect, guys, Oh all right, perfect, perfect, And.
Speaker 8: By the way, check TV when I you know, when I spend time in Mexico, I can get check dot c A, I can watch. I watched the show there too. Oh, I get I get everything.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: It's one of the great, one of the great of that interweb that we think is gonna hang around for a while.
Speaker 1: But can you get Welcome back Carter? That's the big question.
Speaker 4: Welcome back Carter.
Speaker 1: Great show, John.
Speaker 8: That's got to be on Pluto.
Speaker 1: That's gotta be, Yeah, gotta be yeah, yeah, not the network that the planet. And one more, John, did you ever think you'd see a day when Canada's national soccer team would draw close to twelve million dollars twelve million dollars, twelve million viewers for a game, even if it was in the World Cup.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 8: It's a magical time. It is a magical time at a at a point in our country's development that we probably need something to galvanize the country together anyway. But it's fantastic. And the answer is no, I didn't imagine we'd get twelve million viewers. I also didn't imagine we'd be going through to the sixteenes without without Phonsie playing. You know, that's that's part of what this team has done, which is amazing. And you know, I thought the forty eighteen World Cup was going to be a disaster. I thought, you know, all too many teams. Yes it has been spectacular. Yes it has been spectacular, and it's fun. And I can hardly wait if the team that we drew at one on the first day of the tournament ends up beating the Americans and we can get past that, we can get into the sixties and they can't.
Speaker 1: Just the thought that Germany isn't in the Netherlands haven't advanced. Maybe England, now in Canada has again. Who would guess that. Hey, John, this is our last hit for this season. You know how much we love having you on the show. We can't thank you enough.
Speaker 8: Well, I have a great time doing it. And by the way, I'm going home next week. I'm going to be in the Okanagan for the week because it's the BC Hockey Hall of Fame on on the eleventh, and I would be remiss in not telling people in the Okanaga. And there are good tickets still available for the event, and I can promise you that the event is going to be spectacular. We have I've got a little bit of involvement in it, and we've produced, I think a really good show that will salute guys like Malcolm Ashford, Andrew Ladd, Travis Green, Josh Georgies and the Vernon Vipers of nine and ten who are going into the Hall of Fame on July the eleventh in Penticton. It's going to be a fabulous night and if you want to meet some people, meet some Canuck alumni and some Hall of Fame members, it's a great place to go and have some fun.
Speaker 1: Get back to you four hundred TVs. Thanks for this, John, Thanks for everything. We really appreciate Happy Canada today, you bet, thank you, John Channon. One percent Hockey Podcast, Canucks Podcast. Anything further, Ryan free agent wise, contracting, extensional wise. Nothing. The one piece of news regarding the Cannucks other than the fact he and Cole has said no to the Canucks that has signed a one year deal with the Chicago Blackhawks. Caducks have signed Paul Cotter from the New Jersey Devils, formerly of the New Jersey Devils one year two point one five. He is a American left winger and you pointed out Rick six two thirteen. Ryan Johnson says he likes size. There you go, Paul Cotter joining the Vancouver Canucks. A break will introduce the poll question on the Wadling Dog poll question. Next, Donny Dilly the team Why Jack. Looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway. Head to beautiful Parksville and experience the Bayside ocean Front Resort, where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction. Splashing the indoor and outdoor, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the och Front Restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five zero, two four eight eight triple three your Island adventure starts here. We're going to introduce the wandling dog pull question. In a matter of moments, we've had to eliminate our previous question, the question we put out earlier in the day on Twitter, because it's become outdated because the Canucks have made a free agent signing of note other than Paul Carter. The news is the Canucks have, on this day that free agency opens in the National Hockey League, They've acquired Luke Sheen for a third time rick during his career. He's coming back to Vancouver for a third time one year for Luke Shen, veteran defenseman, two point two five million dollars. Luke Shan once again a Vancouver Canuck.
Speaker 4: He is, indeed. So what happened here, Don, I'm pretty convinced is as soon as the Canucks found out they lost out on Ian Cole, they turned their attention to this guy, Luke Shan. Why because just like Cole and Brendan Gallagher, he's a culture guy, leadership guy. He's gonna teach those young kids on the blue line. Boo Yam Wi Lander, all those guys. Don, It's good to have a veteran guy back there for those young kids. And I like the signing. I know he didn't play a ton last year, don uh, But you put a Luke Shan and you put a Brendan Gallagher in that dressing room, that dressing room is one hundred percent better than last year and the year before.
Speaker 1: That's not saying much, but right, but it's.
Speaker 4: A better dressing room. The one thing I was convinced about this new regime, They're gonna fix that dressing room. And boy are they going in the right direction of fixing that dressing room.
Speaker 1: The other situation with Luke Shan that I like, and this is somewhat the case with Brendan Gallagher. Brendan Gallagher facing adversity certainly early in his career as someboney who's what a fifth fifth round draft pick, undersized, you know, disregarded all the negativity and has spent fourteen years in the National Hockey League and certainly faced some adversity. Last year, Montreal had a good year, had a great postseason run. They made it to the Eastern Conference Final, but Brendan Gallagher was scratched. He just played three postseason games, so from the majority of the Habs postseason drive, he was scratched. There's some adversity there, and the lesson is that you persevere through all of that. And the same thing with Luke Shan. The thing is with Luke Shan is that he is. Would you category categorize him as a journeyman defenseman, stay at home defenseman, I think you would. But he was a fifth overall draft pick coming out of the Corona Rockets program from Saskatoon. Brother made the NHL as well, but he was a disappointment in Toronto to start. I know he had two runs with the Maple Leafs as well, but I'm talking about the first go round. He was a disappointment in Toronto as a fifth overall draft pick. And there was a time midway through his career when he was a National Hockey League veteran acquired by Anaheim and they sent him down to the miners, to the San Diego Gulls, and he ended up resurrecting his career down there. I think Dallas Eakins was his coach down there, and everything worked out for him. Again, did it work out to the point where he lived up the expectations of being a fifth overall draft pick? No, but he hung around and hung around and got himself a couple of standing couple rings with the tamp tag light and perseverance, right, And that's something he can talk about with the young players on the Canucks. It's not just about what he does on the ice. It's also off the ice as well. I mean, ultimately it's what he does on the ice, but the stories he can tell about hanging in there, about not giving up, about working your ass off, that's a big deal. I think it's Ryan Johnson is doing a lot of good things. I think this, like the Brandon Gallagher acquisition, is just really really smart.
Speaker 4: Better people, eagles, better dressing room. These guys are good pros on and off the ice. They're good people off the ice. Donnie, I'm gonna tell you quick story. He was going to be sent to the miners by the Canucks. Who was trade deadline day. The Canucks traded a veteran defenseman and they turned around and told him you're staying. You're staying for the rest of the year. He was that close to going to Utica. This guy has persevered through a lot. He was a high draft pick, like you said, never lived up to that billing. But look He's thirty six teamed and this Vancouver was not the only team after Luke Shan today don he had interest from other teams as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's another signing with the Vancouver connection. Your favorite player, Danilla Klimovitch is headed elsewhere.
Speaker 4: Danilla club last but four years in Vancouver, never played a game. The Canucks did not qualify him. So basically he signed with Philadelphia. Rick Talcket would have got a glimpse or two of Klemovic when he was in Vancouver, so TALKT. Look, he's going to go to their farm team. Try to work his way.
Speaker 1: One year deal, right, do I know the terms? It's a one year deal.
Speaker 4: It's a one year. I think it's two ways. It's a two way deal. It wouldn't be a one way deal. He's never played an NHL game. Even when the in four years in absper down, they never gave him a game. Even when they're in thirty second place, he never got a game. It was time to get the hell out of Dodge. You got the hell out of Dodge. He's in Philadelphia with talk it. I got a text TALKT later see what he thinks of Klemovich.
Speaker 1: But okay, sure, but Craig Button made the point, and I know you want to defend him because he's a client of one your agent buddies. But Craig Button made the point on yesterday's show that he shouldn't have been made a pro so or a big mistake by a chance he played junior. Did he know?
Speaker 4: Yes, he did. The Canucks drafted him because he was staying, because he was physically mature at the age of seventeen. He had a good body six, he was all well, has his way to be in six, four to twenty. Anyways, they put him in absper dumb move. Jim Benning should have gone back to junior, would have scored forty fifty goals then come in a year later. But anyways, it is what it is.
Speaker 1: So Danilla Klimovich with the Philadelphia Flyers, we got the Watling Dog poll question up. Yeah, no, right, okay, Wadling Dog poll question. The Watling Dog is opening early and is your spot for Canada's match against Rocco Saturday morning round of sixteen. By the way, England is tied things catch the match live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound. Come sit and stay at the wadling dog today, wreck.
Speaker 4: Don Ryan, get her up the waddling dog by. It's it's a crazy day. It's a crazy day. What's your opinion of the Canucks acquiring Luke Shan for a third time? Ninety six percent say thumbs up and only four percent say thumbs down. You can't have enough good leaders in the dressing room. And the Canucks just added to in the last week. And we know they went hard after ian Cole. They lost out to Chicago and Ian Cole. So guess what, guys, they've addressed some of those leadership issues in the dressing room and help. If you're going to rebuild with a lot of young kids, you better have some damn good leaders in that dressing room. Gallagher and Shan are that.
Speaker 1: One year, two point twenty five to recap. Also, the Canucks have signed left winger Paul Carter, who was with the New Jersey Devil, started his NHL career with the Vegas Golden Knights one year two point one five and then the news that Danila Klimovich, late of the Canucks, just now onto the Philadelphia Flyers for a year.
Speaker 4: So Paul, welcome back. Carter is here. Don I just love that it works.
Speaker 1: It works.
Speaker 4: Welcome Back Carter? Anyways, don this guy?
Speaker 1: Is that like a sequel? Because Welcome Back Carter.
Speaker 4: Was the Shotter Barbarino, John Travolta, Washington, Boom Boom Washington.
Speaker 1: What was his name? Boom Boom Washington.
Speaker 4: K Rogerston Horshack, who didn't like Horshack? Welcome back Carder, Welcome back Carter, A great show.
Speaker 1: Just welcome in this case. Okay, we're good, Ryan, We've got business to do. Able, Let's do that our title sponsor, how can I forget? July seventh, Next week, Able Auctions will sell a sheet metal fabrication shop including two aquer twelve foot shares, an auto fold duct forming line, truck welders, and a lot more in this large shop. July eighth, next day, Able Auctions will sell the contents of the Coast Wholesale Distribution Center, including ten Toyota forkliffs in all warehouse, racking and equipment. For information on these two auctions, go to Able Auctions dot CA. To get your business assets sold at auction. Email sales at able Auctions dot CA. A that sales at a b l E Auctions dot C. A Logan Stan COVID Stanley Cup champion from the Carolina Hurricanes. He's going to join us at the top of the hour. After that Michael Dick of the Vancouver Giants. But up next it's Big Ride Donnie Dolly the team on check. Remember that electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come back to life.
Speaker 4: OPEIC is BC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 1: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life.
Speaker 4: All the electric yard tools don't have to end up in the landfill. If you're an electric outdoor power equipment, cappy fixed, it could be recycled.
Speaker 1: Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer, or lawnmower. Many can be recycled for free in BC. Visit opeic dot Ca to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly. That's opeic dot Ca. Okay, Big Ryan the Twitter guy is next, and we have a news of another NHL free agent signing and it has to do with a veteran defenseman with the Rangers. Probably you should never have given up back in the day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the latest one on our board. Derek working hard on this, so I appreciate Derek's work today. Jacob Truebay heading to San Jose four years, eight point two five million dollars for Jacob Trueba. A lot of rumors about Morgan Riley going to San Jose. You would assume that's the end of that talk now that they brought in Jacob Truba. But I mean, look at all it takes. You know, sometimes there's sticker shock with these guys. It takes one other team, that's all that's and and and during the Jim Benning.
Speaker 1: Era, well that's the case with the Cole Well exactly.
Speaker 6: And during the Benning era, the Canucks were the other team that made the dumb signings. Like you know, Beagle played the Canucks and he got his money here Riselle, he got his like like that happened, and the Canucks were on the other end of it. And so that's not happening now with with San Jose and Jacob Truba.
Speaker 1: But Sharks just a signed Marchman and Truba, Yeah are they is the time now for them? Yep? Well okay, but but you know the thing that's scary is that they may be thinking that right now, and there's a lot of people who would agree with them. But given what happened at the draft, their future looks outstanding as well. Obviously they've already got great young players, and then they you know, all the draft picks that they made maneuvering and they did, getting the two right handed defensemen. I mean, wow, along with Stanberg, their present looks pretty good. Yeah, it was their future, and especially for the Canucks they're in the same division.
Speaker 4: Look at their first round on Oh my god, they killed it in.
Speaker 1: The vier hoof Lynn to right handed. That's the future. And then you look look at this. Are they going for it right now? You wouldn't blame.
Speaker 6: Them the other one. Derek just put that board up real quickly.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Have we even talked about Noah Jilson. I don't know, but he's gone to Colorado two years, one point one million dollars for him for Noah Joseon, you're right down here. Good for him. You know, he leaves here. He had more than just he goes to Philly. He had teams happening, and and yeah, I mean look at he's he was. He was a good Canuck here and then he goes to Philly follows talkt had a really solid year in Philly. Now he's in Colorado.
Speaker 1: And yet another player like Luke shen first round draft pick for the Montreal Canadians, didn't work out there, has bounced around, but has hung in there. Yeah, and that's not that Colorado has all sorts of young players that he can talk to about his experience, but just somebody that again hats off to him, you have to admire, you know, didn't let the disappointment of what happened in Montreal get to him and stuck around. And he's got himself a two year deal.
Speaker 4: Rick Talky really liked him a lot, but they they've got their set with their d next year. But he's a guy that never bitches or complains. As a six to seven guy, if you got to sit him or send him to abbey, he never complains. Really good leader, really good dressing room guy.
Speaker 1: And you know what, you can take that into any workplace, get along with people don't match you and complain. Ryan a good lesson for.
Speaker 6: You, the opposite of Derek uh The. By the way, Luke schen I retweeted our interview with him about a month ago. He had some glowing things to say about Ryan Johnson, because of course Ryan was his GM and uticat right right, and well, I don't know if we're gonna have time to run clips of it today because we got a loaded second hour, but it's on our YouTube account. And he talks about Manny because he's played under Manny in Toronto.
Speaker 1: And here as well.
Speaker 6: So a lot there from Luke about a month ago. By the way, Elliot tweeting moments ago, I do believe the Serge Lebrovsky to Toronto arrival is upon us.
Speaker 1: Some talk about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I did the Edmonton phones working? Are they doing anything?
Speaker 1: I don't capped out, I know, but they got Mike Babcock and yeah, the.
Speaker 4: Other problem they got they can't get rid of nurse.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I know, teams want, they want retention on nurse and Edmonton won't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's an obvious solution. Yeah, nurse to Vancouver. Okay, sure for somebody else who for eleven six you said it, I did.
Speaker 6: Okay, stop very quickly because we do have to break for stan Coba. But Darren Drager had this tweet. Everybody's watching him with the zach Owensky situation drags with this tweet this morning Werewnsky's agent jud Maldover and GM Donodell spoke today in an effort to clear the air and calm things down. R wentz he comfortable going back to Columbus Woodell could present him with the trade in the meantime, but that isn't on the radar at this point. I think things got a little out of hand in the last twenty four hours, the Dallas situation, and you know Harry squashing that.
Speaker 1: To Dallas, but they well, one of the sticking points was there was an article in the Columbus Dispatch whatever their newspaper is, whatever website that is. He had a conversation, zach Arnsky with Rick Bonus where everything at the end of the season, where everything seemed just fine. Yeah, so this this kind of came out of nowhere. Yeah, is discontent with the Blue Jas.
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, So it's an interesting situation to monitor, but we'll see, we'll see where it goes. You gotta be careful like these guys that go public or this situation becomes public. It's a very real possibility you're not traded in the next couple of months. And you got to be back at training camp. Like, same thing goes for Larkin, Like good luck playing hardball with Steve eisman Man. There's a very real chance he's at training camp. So you gotta smooth it over the best you can.
Speaker 1: Everybody will be okay, Oh yeah, of course, of course. Hey somebody who's will be just fine? Somebody's doing more than just fine. Logan stan covin the Kambom's State of the Stanley Cup champion. He's on the program, next Michael Dick, head coach and GM of the Giants. Around eleven fifteen, it's Donny and Dolly the team on Check. Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 4: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast and on social media.
Speaker 1: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two to five oh eight, eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at Checkmedia dot CA. Wednesday, Canada Day, Happy Canada Day. Everybody Today's guest, including Logan stan Colan of the Hurricanes, standing by. Brought to you by the BC Construction Safety Alliance, Making safety simpler for more than fifty seven thousand employers across the province. Visit Safety on Tour dot CA today to book your free Safety on Tour demonstration courtesy the BC Construction Safety Alliance. Where do we begin with Logan stan Coven twenty three years old, Carolina Hurricane Center, Stanley Cup champions. He led the Hurricanes with eleven playoff goals, traded from Dallas to Carolina last March on the infamous Miko Rantin deal and Logan joins us now. He made time for us and we appreciate that. Logan, Happy Canada day. How are you good?
Speaker 3: Thanks, appreciate you guys having me on.
Speaker 1: No problem, Logan, your team wrapped up at Stanley Cup titled June fourteenth? Can you put into words with the last two and a half weeks have been like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been incredible.
Speaker 9: It's everything I've dreamed of and just yeah, I can't wait to have the Cup back in Camloops, being able to see my name on it.
Speaker 3: And it still hasn't really hit me yet.
Speaker 9: It doesn't doesn't feel exactly real, but yeah, just a lot of hard work and obviously support from family and friends, and very excited to have it back in cam Loops and share it with the city.
Speaker 1: Well, you stole my next question. I was going to ask you where have you had your day with the cup yet? Obviously that's that's to come. But you say you're going to take it to Kamloops. Where will the party be and who will be there?
Speaker 9: I don't have exactly everything planned yet. I know it's gonna come. I think it's the middle of August, so yeah, obviously, just have lots of my family and friends and Whatnot'll probably take it to a few from places that supported me growing up, my old school here, and might take it to the hospital and maybe to the gym as well. So that'll be kind of the plan for the cup. But everything's not really set in stone just yet.
Speaker 1: How special is that logan? One moment stuck out for me amongst what you did on the ice during the games, We saw you interviewed on the ice with your parents after a game six. What did that mean to you that moment and what did your parents do in order to get you where you are today?
Speaker 9: Yeah, they've been huge, just everything they've sacrificed for me to reach my goals and just traveling all over the place, and supporting me with my goals and dreams and being able to have them on the ice and share that moment of kind of being at the mountaintop and all the hard work and long hours that not only that I've put in, but they've sacrificed so much and know all their trips of being hockey trips taking me all across the world to play the game that I love.
Speaker 3: So it was awesome having them out there.
Speaker 9: And and obviously, you know, very very happy for for everyone.
Speaker 4: Logan. I can't even start to tell you how great your playoffs were. Sixteen points, nineteen games that line with Jackson Blake and Taylor Hall. Oh my god, you guys were great. Talk about your playoffs. You you were one of the better playoff performers this year.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I was great playing with those two guys.
Speaker 9: Just Halsey was It was almost a blast from the past for him, Like he he was unreal his speed and he was a play driver out there and just finds finds open lanes and and finds a way to get the puck to you.
Speaker 3: So he's creative.
Speaker 9: And then I think with Blaker, he's he's going to be a heck of a player, and he's only going to get you know, keep getting better as the years go on. I think he's you know, so nifty and slippery. He's got you know, great hands and sees the ice very well. So I thought our line meshed well and our chemistry just kind of got better and better as the season went on and into playoffs.
Speaker 4: Logan, you know, I'm sure you heard somewhere along the line, no, he's too small, he's too small. Well, guess what, you're one of one of the best players on your hockey club. What would you say to some kids out there who you know what people are saying, No, that guy will never make it. He's too small.
Speaker 3: It's something that you can't control.
Speaker 9: Like size is something that I've dealt with my whole life, and I've never been the biggest guy out in the ice. But I think if you you love the game, you're passionate, you have a willingness to keep getting better and and to never be satisfied with where your game is at.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know, good things will happen.
Speaker 9: And I think for me, I've never been afraid to go to the dirty areas and and muck it up with some of the bigger guys, So, uh yeah, I think for for smaller people or smaller guys coming up in the game, being able to kind of have some of those attributes is key. So that's just kind of what I've tried to rely upon and what's helped me have success at the highest level.
Speaker 4: A little good things happened for a reason of life. You get traded from Dallas, You're probably going, oh, man, I like it here, I don't want to go anywhere. Then you go to Carolina win a Stanley Cup. You know, what were your thoughts on the trade? And now look how it all ended up for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I was very upset to leave Dallas. I was kind of blindsided by the trade and didn't see it coming. But everything worked out for the better, like for me being able to come into Carolina and how welcoming that group was. And I feel like I've been able to progress as a player and I was able to go back to my natural position at center. It's everything that I you know, there's nothing I could have asked for more. So really happy with landing in Carolina. It's a great city, great fan base, obviously a great team. Hopefully, can you know, keep up the success that we've had lately, and yeah, being able to sign a contract long term there as well, so you can't ask for anything else.
Speaker 1: Talking with the Logan stankovin, let's talk about another BC boy. What's it like playing for Rod Brindamore Logan.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Rod's awesome, just not only a good coach, but just a genuine good person. You really cares for your players, and he just wanted us to experience that feeling of winning the Cup so badly. He wanted it for us so badly. And he's such a great coach and understands what the players need. I think for me being able to work at center and work on face offs, he's really knowledgeable in that area.
Speaker 3: And yeah, he's.
Speaker 9: Always willing to telp players get better and improve, and that's what I love about him.
Speaker 1: Is it easier to work hard for a head coach who works so hard at keeping himself in shape? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he sets the bar.
Speaker 9: You walk in there in the mornings or after practice, you see him in the him and I think that's kind of what our organization is all about.
Speaker 3: It's blue collar.
Speaker 9: We show up to the rink with a smile on our face and and we work hard and we enjoy doing it, so he sets the bar and you know, we try and follow that and and make sure that we're doing our part, and if everyone's pulling on the rope, good things can happen.
Speaker 1: Gosh, just three playoff losses. Logan, what does it say about your team that you weren't You didn't miss a beat after making the switch from Freddy Anderson to Brandon Bussy.
Speaker 3: I think it just shows how much depth our team has.
Speaker 9: And Freddy carried the load for you know, almost the whole playoffs, and he was incredible for us. But I think, you know, having Busy in our back pocket was great. He played spectacular and made some huge saves and a few of those games and that's what you need from a goaltender going down the stretch and in those big games, all it is is a save here, a bounce here, and it could be a different game, and bus was able to.
Speaker 3: In and shut the door.
Speaker 9: And yeah, just an incredible performance from him and him and it shows how much deep our team has.
Speaker 4: Logan, what's Carolina like to play with? I was watching you guys in the parade and so many people there. I think you had trouble opening a bottle of wine or something I saw on video. But anyways, how is how is it played in the market like Carolina.
Speaker 3: It's awesome.
Speaker 9: I'm shocked at you know, the fan base we have and the support we get, and the Canes are kind of the the only, you know, pro sports team in the Ralegh area, and so they really rally around us and support us, and I couldn't believe. I think there was two hundred thousand people downtown at the parade and that was probably one of the other than being able to lift the Stanley Cup and share that with my teammates, I think being in the parade was probably one of the coolest things I've ever experienced.
Speaker 3: So Raley's a special place.
Speaker 9: They really love their hockey, and yeah, I'm excited to, you know, hopefully keep bringing success to that city.
Speaker 1: Other than getting the Cup to kam Loops. Logan, What's what are your off season plans consist of?
Speaker 3: It'll be training.
Speaker 9: I just started back in the gym this week and hopefully by the end of this week or early next week I'll be back on the ice again.
Speaker 3: So not really any trips planned.
Speaker 9: It's a shorter summer obviously, so try and get my training in and I think for me being able to experience winning the Cup, it makes me hungrier and I want to do it again. So I'll just yeah, continued to develop as a player and keep working on my game and obviously enjoy some rest as well when when I have it and have fun when the cups here.
Speaker 1: So many people, Logan impressed and proud of what you did with the with the Stanley Cup champion Carolina Hurricanes, and thanks so much for making time to join us today. Logan, all the best.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys, have a good day.
Speaker 1: You bet, Logan stan quov and again lead the Carolina Hurricanes and playoff goals with eleven. There's been another This is the opening of the day the free agent period opens for the National Hockey League. There's been another deal, Ryan, if you can join us here for a second, another deal involving a goaltender and who else the Ebonton Oilers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Devon Levi, Yeah, sorry, sorry, I'm doing something else.
Speaker 6: Devin Levi traded from the Sabers to the Oilers for a third round pick. Right after I writ them for not doing it, for not doing anything. Boom, they did something. The Canucks have also made another move they've announced.
Speaker 1: Can I just say something with Devin Levi for a second, Yeah, you're supposed to be Canada's next great goaltender. Originally drafted by the Florida Panthers, went on, went on to Buffalo, spent the last couple of seasons, or at least on the coast couple of seasons with Rochester in the Buffalo organization. But off Evan off to Ebonton he goes, and you know, I might say a thing or two about their current goaltenders. What he got for the Canucks.
Speaker 6: Dave also asked a contract, one year, two way contract with a Kiel Thomas forward to Keel Thomas. Believe he was in the King's organization if I have that correctly. So he has been. He's the third signing of the day of this regime.
Speaker 1: Yeah he was.
Speaker 6: He was in Springfield last year at the AHL. He's played thirty.
Speaker 4: Two second HL pick in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, no, No second round, second round pick in twenty eighteen, fifty first overall to the Okay.
Speaker 1: So Richard Seely of the Canucks, well exactly, general manager of the Atmosfrad Canucks has been involved in the King's organization, so you would be familiar. Yeah with this player, makes makes sense.
Speaker 4: Donny Big six feet, one hundred and ninety five pounds. Again, Canucks draft his size in the draft. Now they're going after good size in free agency. Hey, guess what, maybe they're not going to be the easiest team in the league to play against anymore. They're making moves to make sure that doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, a break and we'll deal with the apartment. We'll deal with the pull question. We'll also talk to Michael Dick back with the Vancouver Giants. He was their head coach in his previous tenure with the Vancouver Hockey Club. He's now their coach and general manager. Michael's next Donny Dolly the team One check Donnie and Dollie.
Speaker 7: The team is supported by able Auctions dot CA. Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 4: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories, or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help for a.
Speaker 1: Free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot Ca. That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot Ca. Has been earlier. It is Wednesday. It's Canada Day, and Happy Canada Day to everybody. All today's guests, including Michael Dick of the Giants standing by, brought to you by the BC Construction Safety Alliance, making safety simpler for more than fifty seven thousand employers across the province. Want to bring the BCCSA to your job site. Safety on Tour delivers dynamic mobile safety demonstrations directly to your workplace at no cost to you. Visit Safety on Tour dot Ca today to book your free Safety on Tour demonstration. Michael Dick, Vancouver Giants General Manager and head coach, was the Giants head coach from twenty eighteen to twenty twenty three. I spent the last three seasons in the American Hockey League with the Toronto Marleys, who just won the Calder Cup back in June. He was one of the Marleys assistant coaches and Michael joins us now. Michael, thanks for doing this and congrats on the Calder Cup title.
Speaker 10: Thanks very much great, too great to be back looking forward to.
Speaker 1: It three years with the Marleys after the experience with the Giants, what was that experience in Toronto?
Speaker 10: Like Michael, it was a great experience.
Speaker 11: I mean obviously, Uh, you know, an opportunity to work at the next level, opportunity to work and in my opinion, the second best league in the world, and and with a with a good organization.
Speaker 10: So UH learned a lot, worked with a lot of great people.
Speaker 11: Obviously, the the run to the calder Cup was was amazing and it was it was it was an exceptional crew of people to work with.
Speaker 1: So why make the move back to the Giants?
Speaker 11: Well, I think you know, look at look at different opportunities, and number one, you know, the opportunity to come home and and uh, this is this is where home is for me. I always talk about getting out of your comfort zone and in order to grow and and I've coached at this level for a long time, but but never had the opportunity to be be general manager and build something. And that's that's certainly what I'm looking forward to doing here with a with a really good group of people. Is uh is not only rebuilding a culture. But uh, but building a champion.
Speaker 4: Michael, when you look at where you go with the giants, the roster, the all the kids, everything else. So what are you thinking in terms of how you go how long to turn the ship around?
Speaker 10: Well, I think there's a there's a solid foundation here, you know.
Speaker 11: Obviously, Uh, you know last year there was there was some moves at the deadline to get younger and and rebuild, and I think I think we can look at that foundation. I mean, obviously going to give everybody an opportunity here who has been here to be.
Speaker 10: A part of it.
Speaker 11: And and my job is is to to get the right people on the bus and and the wrong people off the bus. And if we've got to switch and seep along the way, we'll do that. But uh, in terms of a timeline, I mean, you know, we we think that uh you know, with the with the acquisition of a couple of very good defenseman yesterday, we can we can build from the back end out and uh, you know, I think I think everything's changed in terms of the landscape of the Western Hockey League and it's no longer a four year plan. You know, our plan is to get competitive quickly here.
Speaker 4: Okay, you talked about the landscape while you were in the American League. The Western League is losing all these top kids to the n C Double A. What are your thoughts on that.
Speaker 11: Well, I think right now, the mindset is going to be this that we want to we want to build something here, and a lot of the culture here is going to be based on growth and development. I think for you know, for me, that's that's one of the big things I learned in the American League.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 11: You know, obviously our our our focus down the stretch through the Calder Cup was winning. But but the focal point in that league is development and getting guys ready to in the case of the Marley's, getting guys ready to play for the lead. So I think for us here that's going to be the focal point is development and growth, and I think if we can do a good job with that, you know, we're going to attract a lot of good people.
Speaker 1: Okay, first time around with the Giants, you coach the likes of Bowen, Byron and by the way, Michael he signs a deal worth over twelve million dollars a year with Chicago today, six six year deal. Zach Austin Chuck justin sort of how satisfies satisfying is it to see those players having success in the National Hockey League knowing you coach them at one point?
Speaker 11: Well, obviously really really happy for those guys. They put a lot of work in. They were a big, big part of what we built here and great to see those guys do well. I think it's it's so important for us to have that connection with our alumni because in looking at the kind of culture that we want to create, those guys were a big, big piece of that. And not only those guys, uh, you know it was was obviously pre scouting the Western Conference prior to the final and and watching Tristan Nielsen and and he wanted winning a Colder Cup here with Abbotsford and Trent Minor and and uh Alex kannick Leaper was playing in Grand Rapids. Seeing a lot of our guys move on to the next level and do well. And and that's just a feather and feather in the the organization here.
Speaker 1: And we understand that Ron toy Toygo has you in charge of the construction of the new arena. Is that right, Michael?
Speaker 10: Yeah? Isn't that something right, Yeah, be careful what you wish were there.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 11: I mean, obviously that's really exciting, you know, and that was that was obviously something that was that was talked about, you know, prior to me coming here and the fact that it's uh, it's coming to fruition and and uh and coming in the next in the next little while.
Speaker 10: It's it's obviously really exciting for the organization.
Speaker 1: All the best, Michael, and a gay congratulations on caled Her Cup title. Nice, nice to have you back home.
Speaker 10: Great to be back. Thanks for having me, guys, No problem.
Speaker 1: Michael Dick, head coach and general manager of the Vancouver Giants.
Speaker 4: Good hands with that guy. Good The Giants are in good hands with that guy.
Speaker 1: Okay. Waddling Dog poll question. Let's say recap what's happened, Luke Shan signing with the He's back with the Canucks.
Speaker 4: Back with the Canucks. Ryan get her up the Wattling Dog.
Speaker 1: A one year deal two point twenty five A million dollars for people who who don't know, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Ryan, get her up the Watling Dog. Pop pople question, what's your opinion of the Canucks acquiring Luke shen.
Speaker 1: For a third time?
Speaker 4: Ninety six percent say thumbs up, four percent he thumbs down. He is who's saying thumbs down. By the way, you're one of the fourth stop. I've been pumping the hell out of this for a long time, you know, bet Brendan Gallagher, Luke Shen. This regime is going to fix that dressing room. It's been the worst dressing room in the NHL the last two years. Bit by bit, they're gonna fix it.
Speaker 1: Ian Cole, who the Canucks were interested in one year four point seventy five aav with the Chicago Blackhawks. Canucks also grabbing a Kiel Thomas and Paul Carter will recap all this in the DTMZ segment. Meanwhile, you've got some business. Absolutely look at this.
Speaker 4: The world has arrived in Vancouver in pastime sports and games, as you covered when it comes to Jerseys scars another collectible celebrating the beautiful game. There's never been a bigger time to show off your team colors led by Canada as a host country. For more information and store locations, visit Pasttime.
Speaker 1: Sports dot Ca and laptop.
Speaker 6: Right yeah, in front of the laptop, we've got the Maple pop figurine Canada's and World Cup mascot. That yes, the Canadian scarf in the middle exclusively for item.
Speaker 1: Saturday ten am against Morocco and Houston.
Speaker 6: Yep, and then card over the day. What were year removed from Brockbester's contract extension? So I decided to brock Besser card up.
Speaker 1: Oh brock Besser.
Speaker 6: Remember last summer Besser Denco Garland bess Demco still here.
Speaker 1: Cannocks spent a whack of money on that day. Now that work out in terms of trying to keep going the wall and now they got Besser out there, they're trying to move him to England. Has defeated the Democratic Republic of Congo two to one. What a scare though.
Speaker 6: Harry Kane scored a goal You want to see tonight on your.
Speaker 1: Highlight pack after you finish with check. Yeah yeah, yeah, Okay, we're good, Yeah all right. Luke Shan was recently on our show and he had some terrific things to say about Ryan Johnson. Well the clip include what he has to say about Manny Malolter.
Speaker 6: The one I pulled it was just about Manny Okay, he had He's got really good thoughts on Ryan as well, So check that out on YouTube. But the one I got is all about manning.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Luke Shan on manny Malhoultra we call him the newest conduct third time around for Luke Shan in Vancouver on Manny Malhultra Next as part of dtmc Riclub Birth These Too, Donnie Dolge Tamli Jack.
Speaker 5: The BC Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the BCCSA safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer Safety on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations, from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection. At Now to book a memorable Safety on Tour experience at Safetyontour dot Ca.
Speaker 1: How you do it?
Speaker 4: Rick?
Speaker 1: Oh? Absolutely great? Oh sorry, now you know what you know what? Hold on?
Speaker 6: Hold on to be fair?
Speaker 1: Wrong music?
Speaker 4: I threw Dolly well for a loop to be fair right there? But Rob take I'll take that. I'll talk and I was. But in this business you gotta be ready to talk texting with an Asian? Okay, where are we right? What are we doing now?
Speaker 1: Now? I can't do anything? What is it today? Wednesday, Canada Day.
Speaker 4: It's a Wednesday morning on Donnie and Dolly. It's time for DTMZ brought to you by the Whistler Golf Club. Go see big all out their great track, great track?
Speaker 1: Are you teaching the kids that A B C at Oh? I got that right?
Speaker 4: This is Ryan threw me for a loop.
Speaker 1: DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design was their golf club where Phase three of the golf course reno underway. The golf course will reopen for play summer twenty twenty seven. For the latest updates on the renovation, follow them on Instagram at Whister Golf and don't forget their pro shop and driving range are open during the summer. Let's let's recap. Actually, you know what? Before the recap. A new piece of news, Teddy.
Speaker 4: Blueger late of the Canucks, has signed with Toronto May beliefs. So he got two years at two point five million, which tells me and I do wonder this, don if the Canucks were not offering term for Teddy Bluegrid, because they offered a bunch of guys one year deals today. I wonder if they said to Teddy and that's why he elected to hit the free agent market.
Speaker 1: Look at the top of his board.
Speaker 4: Rick, Yeah, exactly, Sergei Barbarovski three years, seven million.
Speaker 1: They're all Toronto signing Toronto.
Speaker 6: By the way, this is just how they came down. I'm not doing a.
Speaker 1: I'm not You are so focused on the Toronto Mayple Leafs and people in Toronto are absolutely in love with you because as you know, but he should be focused on the Toronto Maypleafe. Unbelievable how you've changed. Colton, says, is also signing with the Leafs.
Speaker 4: North Vancouver native two years four point two mili per year. Great job by his agent. Canucks did not check in on Colton scisions. That's not a player that they had any interest in.
Speaker 1: There you go. Meanwhile, as for what the Canucks are up to, just to recap Paul Carter, Carter, now you got me saying welcome back Kata one year two point one five. Big winger from the Devil's Danila Klimovich has let well we knew he had left the Canucks. He has signed a one year deal with the Philadelphia Flyers. Cannucks have also signed a Kill Thomas who is with the Kings and that's a one year deal as well, Ran, We got that right, Kill Thomas, Yes, yeah, it's one KEO two way deal, two way deal. And Luke shen Louke has rejoined the Vancouver Canucks. He joins the Canucks for a third time one year, two point seven five. I talked about this moments ago on the show. We had Luke on the show back on May twenty seventh, and Luke again joining the Canucks for a third time, had some real complimentary things to say about head coach Manny Malhultra.
Speaker 12: I think Maddie's unbelievable, kind of similar to our Jane of sense, where you know, obviously he's he's got the authority in the power, but you know, obviously it's you feel like you're kind of a partnership with him, you're not working against him like you might feel like that. And maybe some other you know, other style of coaching or management where you know they got the power, but it feels like you're not working towards the same goal. I feel like with a guy like Manny, you know he's always working with guys before and after practice, real real good talker in the room. When he's doing video, the message is clear, not screaming and yelling. But you know, still stern A gets his message across. So yeah, I had him and then like you said, I had him in Toronto too when I got traded there, and he was he was awesome to me.
Speaker 1: Luke Shan back in late May, Luke Shan eleven two NHL game sixty playoff games in the National Hockey League. He's been around since eight when he was drafted fifty overall by the Toronto Maple's sad a couple of couple of runs with the Leafs as well. He rejoins the vank of a Canucks development camp going on today. By the way, day two, we saw Alex Hitdler on the ice, in Jen Gardner on the ice, absolutely getting out there.
Speaker 6: We should just save quickly. They've also Conducks just signed Trey fixed Lansky.
Speaker 4: Well you got to post that. I we can't dream of the name in our head.
Speaker 6: I'm telling you what he is, h depth.
Speaker 4: Side, this is, this is the assistant Jim and Ryan and kil Thompson was all seems I had Thomas. It was all Sealy because he had him in Ontario the h L.
Speaker 6: So can you post it on?
Speaker 1: You're really rattled.
Speaker 4: I've got five hundred agents texting me. Are you young starting now?
Speaker 1: Are you I got one thing to do? You young broadcast?
Speaker 4: Can you post.
Speaker 1: It's good? Got no?
Speaker 6: He was a seventh round pick of Columbus.
Speaker 4: I think I know the guy. I think I know the guy anything.
Speaker 1: What's his name? What's his name?
Speaker 6: Fix you go? Just tell us me Trey fix Wolanski Bingo.
Speaker 4: I know him, I know I think I know the agent. I think I know the agent.
Speaker 1: You get on that. I've dealt with him in the past. Birthday, Okay, here we go, Canada Day July. First. I know one because you screwed up last June. First June.
Speaker 4: First look at this first, remember Donny and Dolly's back Scratchers and dental Flossymporium and ball Zach l burn up. This guy an eighth round pick of the Rangers in nineteen ninety one. That same year Rangers Rangers eighty one or ninety one. Same year, he was named the COCHL Goalie of the Year, tied Texan Sexmoth. Remember Texan, he was from Mission Tyson Tyson Sexmth.
Speaker 6: You called him Texan sex Men.
Speaker 4: Okay, just look, I'm I'm rattled. I got five hundred things going on in my head. He was tied with Tyson sex Myth for most wins in the Western Hockey League history, with one hundred.
Speaker 1: And twenty team I'm not telling you that.
Speaker 4: He started his first NHL game for the Rangers in nineteen ninety three. In nineteen ninety two, in the American League, he won the Al Ditch Bass Basti Memorial Award as the league's top goalie.
Speaker 1: He just got traded to the Canucks. I think, yeah, I think he did well. He did later, I'll tell you I'm talking about Bass.
Speaker 4: He remained with Binghamton for three years before being traded to the Canucks. Chray hirshts See. That's why if I would have said Kamloops, you would have got it right away.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna play drop here like Farhandos all the time. But I was in New York for the Stanley Cup Final Game seven and get I get on the plane and who's on the plane with me? Corey Hirsh of the New York Rangers. Yeah. Story, then eventually makes his way to Vancouver.
Speaker 4: He was in New York and then he got traded with Canucks. Okay, this guy was the first round pick of the Stars in nineteen ninety fives one gold with Canada, which is slowed down. I got one gold with Canada at the nineteen ninety six World Juniors.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: He was also a catcher on the Canadian national junior baseball team. He played baseball until he was seventeen, and then he said he had hoped to become a two sport professional athlete like Bo Jackson. Nineteen ninety seven, he made the All Rookie Team in the NHL, runner up to Brian Barrard for Rookie of the Year in the NHL. In two thousand Stars draft pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know who it is? Is it Againler? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Just said Jerome Aginler. Yeah, it's Jerome Aginler who won all those mem Cups and Kamloops.
Speaker 6: With Did we talk about his kid, by the way, getting drafted by Calvi. Yeah, Joe Againlin, the Vancouvagina, the Giants.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, this guy, I'll tell you, one of my favorite hockey players of all time. Fourth overall pick of the Canadians in nineteen seventy two, one hundred and twenty three points one year with Toronto the marl Boroughs. Marlborough, I was gonna say it just that's a tough one. That's tough Marvel anyways, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Let's stop right there.
Speaker 4: During his career with the Habs, he was named the first NHL All Star Team in seventy Evan nineteen seventy seventy scored seventy sixty goals. Sixty goals. He still co holds the Canadians franchise record for most goals in a single season, alongside Gela Flur. He said this about Scottie Bowman. You hated him, Steve shut Steve Shaft.
Speaker 1: Who didn't love ja? You loved it to day you got your ring.
Speaker 4: You hated Scottie Bowman three hundred and sixty four days of the year, and on Day's three, I've got a.
Speaker 1: Good Steve sht sorry that I can you.
Speaker 4: Collect your Stanley Cup Guila Flur, Jacques Lamire and Steve shut so fun to watch.
Speaker 1: I don't forget Pete mahablish Stop.
Speaker 4: It was always Lamaire, Lafleur and Shot. Danny Gallavan, They're going.
Speaker 1: Up Hobless took turns at center.
Speaker 4: It was always Lamaire and Laflur and shot. Shot was great number twenty two. Yes, yes, yeah, all right. This actress was the nineteen ninety Playboy Playmate of the Month. She you know who it is, Okay, I'm not gonna do it.
Speaker 1: Then you'll be good. I'm not the reason that I know this well, I knew. I think I would have got it with that clue.
Speaker 4: She was in Scary Movie three in borat Pam Anderson. It's Pam Anderson.
Speaker 1: But you you thought June first was July first? And then you you went on and on about Pam Anderson a month ago today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and who could forget? And where was she found at a BC Lions game?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Was it the Mats shirt? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think we did this exact thing on June first.
Speaker 4: Just stop, I made a mistake. Pam Anderson. Uh.
Speaker 1: Grace the Canadian born on Canadian Canada.
Speaker 4: From Grace the cover of Playboy fourteen times really yep, the most ever pride of.
Speaker 1: Not seashelled. Ladysmith there it is there you go seashell. Okay, you got to go through seashell to get the Powell River. I know that area. And and Ladysmith's on the island.
Speaker 4: Who's from a seashell? The baseball player we've had him on the show, Ryan Dempster, Yeah, Yeah, Dempster.
Speaker 1: Gibson's yeah, Gibson's well, that's very close together.
Speaker 4: They're just lon a.
Speaker 1: And as you know, when you bring up Pam Matterson, the first day that comes to mind is Ryan Dempster. Ryan will tell you also London, come stop with lund because we're gonna get texts. Okay, Debbie Harry, it's way too early, Debbie Harry eighty one and she and Blondie are gonna play so February nineteen eighty and the American Jigglo soundtrack Blondie call Me on Check. Where if it's good enough for Richard Gear, it's good enough for Derek Long on a BC Wednesday Morning? Is it just mes Nerds? Three foot hot Dogs? Postgame fireworks Friday Noonters and the Future Toronto Blue Jays right in your backyard. Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seven five years at Nat Bailey Stadium. For tickets, promotions and more information, visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight seven two five two three two today. Is it just Me? Brought to you by OPEIC Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada. Did you know you could recycle electric lawn and garden equipment for free? Ope i C operates a province wide network of recycling depots to ensure old electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly. Visit O p e i C dot ca to get more info. That's oh p e I C dot ca.
Speaker 6: A Is it just me?
Speaker 1: Rick? All right? Hopefully? Uh?
Speaker 4: Shen can grab Ep forty by the shirt collar tell him to stop pouting.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: That's Ben and Burnaby. Uh, But Luke Shen's that type of guy that if he sees something he doesn't like, he's gonna stand up and tell you. That's the type of leader he is.
Speaker 1: Keith and Colem walks, Is it just me? Julsen to the abs? Now? Is Rick gonna tell us where Trampkin and his buddy Haleac will end up well.
Speaker 4: I think is retired. Triumpkins in Russia.
Speaker 1: I don't think he wanted an update. He was just having some fun.
Speaker 4: To be honest, Triumpkin is in Russia and he's got three years left on his deal.
Speaker 1: Boy, we're getting a lot of this. Greg from Sanwich? Is it just me? Happy Canada Day? Dolly is all worked up over Canada not wearing a red kit well cup. Where is his red today? Okay, Ryan's got the red hat, I got the red shirt.
Speaker 4: I'm up till one in the morning last night texting agents working on stories.
Speaker 1: They haven't. We haven't.
Speaker 4: Elliot, Wait, I know what I'd have to do with you wearing a red shirt, because when I get up, I'm flustered. And then I checked my cell, I text agents. I just went in these grabbed the first thing. I didn't even know where. So you get dressed in the dark. I don't I don't really look at you know, I just grab grab, get the hell out. Today was a bad day. Today was about who is that? Greg and Savage? Come on, Greg, you've had days like that?
Speaker 1: Okay? Uh is it just me?
Speaker 4: But not only did bringing in Shannon gallagher're bringing much more I needed character, but also just as important, raised our Canadian player a count by two. Hey, Jay, the dark guy, you are bang on. What are we now for Canadians on the Canucks?
Speaker 1: Three or four the exact number, but the numbers are increasing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but as Jay says, it's up three. No, Shannon Gallon, Joseph Piers gone, and Douglas has gone and debrask and well, but just how it sits right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Right?
Speaker 6: And Keio Thomas by the way, they signed today. He's a Canadian as well. He's infamous twenty ten gold medal goal for Canada. Right, Yeah at the juniors. At the Juniors there was some dis was it in or was it not?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 1: I think that's the one. I think that's the one op from Fleetwood? Is it just me sixty minutes in? I guess more than that. Now, this was from earlier in the day, and the Canucks haven't handled a terrible contract on July and one huge win. Ope. I'd imagine goes back a bit with the Vancouver Canucks.
Speaker 4: I think don there they understand where they're at as a hockey club and going into a.
Speaker 1: Rebuild, which is which is a good step to understand where you're at it as a hockey team. That hasn't always been the case.
Speaker 4: There's no reason for them to spend stupid today. They need Keith for sure with like deals on July first, and then trade these guys in a year, year and a half for two second round picks. I'd rather have Shen than Cole anyways, as says a Bill, but I will tell everybody that Ian Cole, not Luke Shen, was target number one for the canucktion to costs more. I know that, but he's thirty eight years old, Lucas thirty six. They went after Cole Hard and when I say Hard, I mean Hard, Donnie Hard Capitol letters Hard.
Speaker 1: We have found that out when you were fumbling around trying to find a shirt in your closet. Is it just me? But don What is your take on season five of The Bear? I gotta say this that and the Bear's on Disney right? A bear about It's about a restaurant, the startup of, not an actual bear. No, okay, uh, there's no hunting involved. Sorry, Ryan.
Speaker 4: I think a show called The Bear might be about a bear.
Speaker 1: Season one season two amongst the best shows I thought I've seen recently, like like honestly, and then season three came along and it was so bad and so disappointing. Did I know I haven't watched season four? Season five? Should I?
Speaker 6: Season three sucks, Season four rebounded. I'm two episodes through season five. It's okay, so far. Okay, quickly you got a break, but just very quickly. Andre Kuzmenko latest deal one year Pittsburgh, five million dollars.
Speaker 1: I called it. I called it. I said you called it.
Speaker 4: No, I told you guys, he's gonna sign one year, four, five to five.
Speaker 1: I nailed it. Win this morning. I told you first thing, you weren't paying attention.
Speaker 4: No, I think you mumbled it to yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Stop, honestly, you'll get it shirt. Okay, we'll wrap up the show of the poll. Question. Next, Donnie to had the team on.
Speaker 4: Check looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Wattling Dog, has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport and the ferry, their room blend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your Island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps wall to wall, TVs every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go, stock up at their cold beer wine store. Hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come, sit and stay, don Pole, Rick Ryan, get her up the Waddling Dog Up Pop Pop. Question, what's your opinion of the Canuck acquiring Luke Shan for a third time, not one two, but third time? Ninety six percent say yes thumbs up, but four percent say no thumbs down.
Speaker 1: Okay, so recapping, we didn't mention maybe the most important deal that the Canucks have made over the last twenty four to forty hours, Gian breezeblaughs extending one year, nine hundred thousand dollars is a two way deal with the Canucks. I thought you guys would rip into me for that because you know on the.
Speaker 6: Has he been with the organization twenty five years?
Speaker 1: He was part of the Eddie Lack deal. Oh my god, he was he represented the third round pick they got for Eddie Lack from Carolina. Paul Carter signs a one year deal two point one point five. Luke Shan back with the Canucks for a third time one year, two point two five. Akil Thomas a one year, nine hundred thousand dollars deal with the Canucks. Would that be a two way deal? It is?
Speaker 4: So he's going to get nine hundred thousand at the NHL level and three hundred and seventy five thousand American League.
Speaker 1: So similar deal with Trey fixed Wolanski. Yeah, he signs from the Canucks. Most most of his career spent in the minor leagues as he joins the Canucks. All name team. Played a total of seventy or twenty six NHL games with the Columbus Blue Jackets, seventh round pick back at twenty eighteen out of Ebonson from Oil Cake. Yeah. Absolutely. Have we got pictures at all today? Ryan pictures?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: Okay? Anywhere? Is it just me?
Speaker 4: It's go?
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 4: The Canucks make offers the depth forwards like Reeves and Mallet. Jeff Mallett is a guy that's six' five over two hundred. Pounds doney he's out over fifty points in The American. League i'm checking in with His asian right now to. See But Ryan reeves is he's out. There we'll see if he signs or. Not is it just me From jeeves And?
Speaker 1: Surrey have we read this? One is it just? Me but can you SEE ep forty being a healthy scratch for a few games by this new? Regime if his play doesn't, improve did you see? THAT i can see anybody being healthy scratch if their play isn't up to maybe not, improving but if their play is an up to.
Speaker 4: Standard Manny, malholtra he sat a lot of guys In. Absburg he gave a lot of tough love to a guy a lot of guys In. Abbey he can do the same In.
Speaker 1: Vancouver it might be a different, situation but food for thought at the releast busy Day Canada, DAY nhl free agency. Period thanks so much for tuning, in folks on behalf Of Ryan Derek. Rick everybody here At oh boy In. Chack I'm donnie you up to date the world of.
Speaker 2: Sports thanks for listening to The donnie And Dolly. Podcast be sure to follow us On twitter At donnie And dolly for all the latest show.
Speaker 7: Content