Speaker 1: So I'm reading my AARP magazine while in the bathroom. Yes, AARP, I get the magazine. I'm a member. I get the magazine. I Shirley do. And because I'm fifty plus, like this show is fifty plus, so I'm mine. They have some way articles in there sometimes too, But I'm reading it and they're talking about there's an article on the latest issue with Samuel L. Jackson on the cover of Samuel Ella is my Favorites talking about punk music, and I was just more shocked so much. I was like, wait a minute, they howdy ever taught music in ARP. I mean us, people who over fifty, we like music still. We like going to music shows and stuff, you know from a lot of black folks, the Death of Frankie, Beverly and Maids and the Big Deal.
Speaker 2: People are going to.
Speaker 1: There are many people in there fifty plus going to the Usher show.
Speaker 2: Many went to Beyonce.
Speaker 1: Like, we like music, we go to concert you always have money, we go to concerts. But they only talk about that so much, and so I'm just like, that's really interesting. And then I was like, oh, how in Tarasante's they're talking about punk music and how there's no official start dates. They're staying around seventy three is where they started to have some happening and see me GM's in New York and I was just reading about that. I was like, yeah, I remember punk music. But that's the kind of thing. It's like my generation, the fifty plus became mine, or one after one before me. It's so funny because we were the last generation.
Speaker 2: To really see see new.
Speaker 1: Forms of music happen, like really new forms of music. I think, you know, there's you know, there was jazz and then maybe later you saw Latin jazz and this jazz and that jazz. That's that's just alliterations of you know, are you a form?
Speaker 2: But we saw the birth of punk and new wave and rap. I go.
Speaker 1: Rap is arguably the last completely new art form of the last fifty years.
Speaker 2: When you think about it, just think about it.
Speaker 1: The spoken word said to music and has evolved in a thousand.
Speaker 2: Different ways, right, and it was very different.
Speaker 1: Yes, all music comes from, so all the type obviously it's all derivative of something. But we you know, well the last you know, one hundred years, jazz was invented, R and B was invented, and rock and roll was invented, Like, these are all things that were Really these are all new art forms.
Speaker 2: How are you gonna say pop music?
Speaker 1: You know, popps is like popular music, but the form of that dance music that was invented. These are all things disco. These are all things that were. There was no previous anything, it was they came out, It came out, and for me, I'm lucky. I got I got to know some of these are FROs from the very beginning, and just what do you think about that? And that's all I just just kind of breezed my head. You know, what kind of music do I like? What music stimulates me? What music I like? Growing up? My taste has changed here and there. I remember in the late eighties when New Age came out and that's new agent was like a cross between instrumental, jazz, pop inspirational, but it wasn't format and artists like acoustic. Galcami was my favorite. Katara. I loved them. They're They're great. They're part of my repertoire on my on the radio and CDs, ant tapes. Stop eating something right now. I'm sorry, I just said eat something real quick. That was really something that you know, you that I put on that was there was a big hit. People were trying to in word, they're trying to try to it was a lifestyle thing too.
Speaker 2: I remember that I was. I was in that for a while. You know.
Speaker 1: Rap music of course from its earliest beginnings in late seventies that I remember of that's when I came into it.
Speaker 2: The eighties was run DMC and all them.
Speaker 1: You into the gangster of the gangster rapp of the nineties, rock wrapper the two thousands. Get to watch it all just kind of to where I'm doing kind of rap music. I put out my news, I'm putting out my new song delete, and it's kind of a rap. It's it's I'm talking to a beat. I always say, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not a rapper. You've spoken word artists. But it's a fine line. Right.
Speaker 1: But I wonder why we don't in magazines and prints and stuff talk more about music still our age. I mean, music is viewed as a young man's game, young person's game, right, But there are many of us who are still We like music. We like to go out, let's go to concerts. A lot of times we have more disposal income. You can spend the money these concerts are expensive kids. Now I do pick and choose what concerts I go to. I'm a big fan of musicals. I've been doing those two a lot recently. The music is a part of our lives and and and just as we get older doesn't mean that we just stopped listening to Prince all of a sudden, or I stopped listening to Look Kim, that was our girl back in the day. Or maybe it's in a situation, but you maybe when a song comes on you get down to it, still, tromp the radio, get down to it, or turn up the Spotify or whatever you're listening to, and it comes on you still like Mariah carey'sy, like Madonna, like you still just you still do Jody Waally people you still like.
Speaker 2: I noticed that for me.
Speaker 1: Though as I've gotten older, I don't I don't know the charts anymore. I'm that I know that, I know that music has we made today is not made for me. It is not for me. But because of TikTok and stuff, I hear certain songs like oh, who's that already?
Speaker 2: All like that song?
Speaker 1: Or who's that Ice Spice? I like this song like I would never know who they are I would never even buy your stuff, but I'll hear a song and my kids and grandkids.
Speaker 2: I like that song Let's do a lipa? Well? Do I know her? Like you? I kind of know certain people, right.
Speaker 1: I just say, it's just it's just it's sad sometimes, Like there was a there was a point a couple of years ago, I was like, I used to the Billboard charge and I knew nobody, and I said, Okay, I'm done.
Speaker 2: I'm like James is done.
Speaker 1: I don't know nobody at top them, no one, but he said, know who Tenner Swift is. I'm chanting to juniors is fifty plus and we'll talk to you next time. What are your favorite songs