Speaker 1: If humanity created a breathing centered culture where we understood the importance of the first breath and the last breath and every breath that comes in between, and people were encouraged to feel and to listen to the sensations of their breathing, the sound of their breathing, the effects of their breathing. If they could be quieter together sometimes to be with each other's breathing. There's only one group, and that in group out group would dissolve. And I have seen it happen so many times where enemies, people that didn't trust each other, couples that were on the verge of breaking up, would breathe together and something fundamentally different than the way they'd been orienting themselves happened.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody, and welcome back to yyd where you are learning to level up your Yoga ti dying, one masterful class at a time. What if the one thing that has the power to unite humanity is something you're already doing twenty thousand times a day. Today's guest, Jessica Dibb is a breathwork pioneer, author and educator who believes breathing isn't just a biological function. It's the universal language that connects every living being. We explore the science, psychology, spirituality, and ethics of breath work and why conscious breathing may be one of the most profound practices available to us as yoga teachers and human beings. We chat about why Jessica calls the breath the great equalizer, not death, the surprising connection between breathing and love, what's actually happening in your brain and nervous system every time you inhale and exhale, the powerful reason she believes breath can dissolve the us versus them mindset, the five categories of breath work, and why they're often confused with one another. I think this was my favorite part of the episode. Why conscious breathing may have been Yoga's a rich practice long before the poses, why one breathing technique isn't right for every student, the ethical questions every yoga teacher should ask before facilitating powerful breathwork experiences, the overlooked muscle that has an enormous impact on your longevity, emotional regulation, and quality of breath, And finally, why the perfect breathing ratio doesn't actually exist and what to look for instead. Whether you're simply queuing ujai in class or fascinated by the deeper science and philosophy of breath, this conversation will change the way you think about the most fundamental thing that we all share. Now, take a deep breath and turn it up and let's dive in. Hey Yogi's Mackenzie fly Here Mom, yoga printer, teacher, trainer, retreat leader, and your guide to master your yoga teaching. This podcast is your weekly dose of actionable wisdom and candid chats with industry experts. Learn to connect deeper, weave yoga mats, and lead by example. Full disclosure, I'm still mastering it too, but together will skyrocket your impact and income. Hit subscribe and let's grow one episode at a time. Jessica div is the author of Breathwork and Psychotherapy Clinical Applications for Healing and Transformation. Her work centers conscious breathing, synthesizing, deep psychology, consciousness studies, science, somatic, emotional, and cognitive energy, and wholeness. She advocates for powerful, safe, multi dimensional breathwork to access our deepest potential. Jessica is the founder and director of Inspiration Consciousness School and is the global professional Breathwork Alliance founding co director and ethics chair, Jessica develops innovative processes for embodying wholeness using breathwork alongside established and emergent wisdom teachings to cultivate presence, wisdom, and love throughout our lifespan in relationship with all life and this breathing planet. What an amazing bio, Jessica, thank you so much for being here. I'm so excited to chat with you today.
Speaker 1: It's really lovely to be with you, McKenzie. I feel like your energy is just such a gift to our planet. You're so supportive of everyone you talk to and what you're doing on this podcast I know is supporting so many really beautiful souls who are yoga teachers.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a blessing already. Thank you, Thank you for saying that, and how kind I receive it. It's been a minute since we first connected, and when we first connected you were even kind then. I was sharing with you of just being in knee deep in the early phases of motherhood and being so tired, and You're like, listen, I get it, I get it, And maybe let's postpone to another time when we're not so tired. So it's been weeks, if not, I think maybe even months since that. Yeah, and so it's just been I've been eagerly awaiting this chance to reconnect with you here, and you are also so kind and your energy each time I've hopped on with you, and you being sensitive to that and being open to moving it to a better time. I just appreciate you as well, So thank you for saying that. But I want to pass it right back to you. And it makes me think of that phrase that's if you spot it, you got it. If you can sense it, you are it.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: You have had such an incredible career and many many accomplishments. I feel like I would love to talk about your latest book that you had sent to me, and thank you for that. This has been an incredible read breath work and psychotherapy. I'm going to show it for the people who are watching the video. Beautiful, beautiful cover with these lungs and flowers, and I have just tore through the pages and then my toddler found my flags and also put some parts. You put flags in the books of other pages that I should pay attention to, which I thought was really cute. But it is just it's one of those that is incredible the first time you read it, but you're also like, I'm going to have to go back and read it a couple of times just because of how dense and articulate and specific you got. So congratulations on this book, and tell us a little bit about in general, the process of writing it before we peel it apart and really dig into the details and come through it.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you McKenzie. Yeah, it was really like, so I would not have thought that if I was going to write a book, I would not have thought that I was going to write a book that would talk about bringing together the gifts of psychological process and breath work or psychotherapy and breath work, because you know, breath work it's so much about awakening consciousness and healing at a psychological level and connection with you know, the fundamental frequency of creation and some people would call that God and you know, the spiritual and I just for me breathing and love, which we will talk conscious breathing and love or synonymous. One is the physiological piece of it and the other is the emotional and we can talk about that in a little bit. So I was just stunned when Norton Publishers came to me and asked me if I would write this book about how breathwork is psychotherapy could be integrated. And I remember feeling like it was a calling card from the universe, that there was something that was incredibly important here, and I had to really be with that topic inside of myself for a good two to three years before I actually started writing. Believe it or not, it wasn't that I didn't have ideas, but I knew that there was somehow going to be a convergence of what they were wanting, which was to have a handbook, a guide, a textbook for therapists, you know, not just psychotherapists, psychiatrists and psychologists, spiritual directors, and also other kinds of therapists, somatic therapists and breath workers. And I also knew that somehow the book had to be about elevating consciousness and love. So I just I really sat with it for two or three years and just kept taking notes, and what emerged was a book that calls breath workers to a higher level of practice and calls psychotherapy to re envision itself from within the understanding of breathing which is a primal and foundational language for all of us, and it is therefore it becomes a book about love. It becomes a book about becoming present to the love and wisdom that is inside of us, and doing the psychological work that yields wholeness that is accelerated by using breathwork tremendously, and the book, to me is a wonder At this point, I feel like I just had to surrender to listening to something that neither the publisher nor I would have conceived of, and something out of it that was better than either of us could have imagined.
Speaker 2: Well said, and I can see that so much now coming through, And what an experience, What an experience to premeditate that long and to give yourself the spaciousness and have the patience to let it unfold in that way. I think sometimes when we are tasked with an assignment, it's even similar to being asked a question of not really taking a second to even think that were already you know, responding or jumping into the writing of it. So I think that that's a testament to you and that it for it to ultimately boil down to love, I think is also what makes it very unique and different and universal. So I found it highly fascinating. I mean, right, even in the beginning. I loved just the concept of the unifying how how we are all breathers, and that being the universal language. So can we start there and walk us through how you would describe that and what you mean by what you mean by that? Thank you so much. I love that question probably more than any other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really think we you know, when we have experiences like of a baby being born, of somebody passing out of the world and we realize, you know, how precious they've been. When we awaken to beauty in art or you know, some kind of something that's something that somebody has contributed. When we have experience as spiritual experiences, people who have near death experiences. You know, just there are so many altered states, expanded states of consciousness that people have. Everybody has a similar way of describing that they realize in those moments that everything is one and that it's all. Yes, there are infinite amounts of differentiated expressions of the one, but the fabric of it is just one. And I my father was a great peace activist. His whole work was about the abolition of war, he worked at the UN. He was an international lawyer, and he worked other places all around the globe too, And I was very inspired as a child to try to feel I could feel like every person had love in them. I could feel it, and that this love really wanted to be given fully to the world, but that there was fear that was inhibiting them. And so my work kind of inspired by my dad and inspired by the love that I was seeing in everybody. I wanted to find a universal medicine, a universal key, a universal nectar or elixir that would unlock the love in people and dissolve the fear. And I went through many different things that I was, you know, thinking could be it, you know, dance and psychology and yoga and living in an astron for years, and all of these things were beautiful medicine. I was going to go to medical school. I loved science. I loved biology, and then I just remember having an epiphany when I did a really deep breath work session. Finally, in my early twenties, I had this epiphany, this is it. This is the universal key. This doesn't have to have a particular culture, a particular language, a particular everybody's breathing and were all breathing all the time, and that was what set me on a search to really understand every possible aspect of conscious breathing and breathwork that I could. And so I do say that you know, breathing, conscious breathing is the unifying medicine nutrient of the human species, and that it's our greatest medicine and teacher and friend and even lover. And when you think about it, the brain stem, which is where we usually breathe from when we're not thinking about it, when it's automatic, that same brainstem has a mechanism in it that is meant to recognize who is safe and who is not, who is my group, who's the end group, and who's the outgroup, And it gets stimulated by cortisol like so when you have fear, you're kind of looking around for what's safe, what's not, and who's in my group and who's not in my group. Well, you can create an in and an outgroup about anybody you know. As much as you and I are so thrilled to be here together, if we were in a state of fear, or if we just weren't very conscious, I could say to myself well, you're wearing a plaid, you know, a shirt, and I'm wearing this shirt. I've got this color here, and you've got that color here. I could start, well, you're in this state and I'm in that state. So there's skin color, there's you know, sexual orientation, there's religion, there's educational status, there's social you know, sociological says. We can create an in group and an outgroup about anything, except for one thing. This is what hit me one day, the group of breathers. You can't create an in group and an outgroup about that. There's only one group of breathers, and everybody's in it, and in fact, animals are in it, and the trees and grass are participating in all of that. So the implications, the profound possibilities here. If humanity created a breathing centric culture where we understood the importance of the first breath and the last breath and every breath that comes in between, and.
Speaker 2: People were.
Speaker 1: Encouraged to feel and to listen to the sensations of their breathing, the sound of their breathing, the effects of their breathing. If they could be quieter together sometimes to be with each other's breathing. I know there's only one group, and that in group out group would dissolve. And I have seen it happen so many times where enemies, people that didn't trust each other, couples that were on the verge of breaking up, would breathe together, and something fundamentally different than the way they've been orienting themselves happen, and a kind of wisdom arises that comes from love, and we get creative from that, and so new things start to happen, and I, you know, I just can't say enough about this profound medicine that each of us has in our own chest, and that you know, even people on respirators can bring awareness to their breathing. It's it's literally the universal key.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, Oh, what a beautiful answer, What a beautiful answer. I had a yoga teacher who said something to the effect of the only real requirements you need for a yoga practice is you need to be breathing. You need to be a breather, basically in your words, and then also like a willingness to I'm butchering his exact words, but like a willingness to shift your awareness. That that's like the two key ingredients that you need for a yoga practice is an ability to be aware, like in control of where you're placing your attention and breathing. Which I love that because it made it so inclusive and most mostly inclusive, and it automatically eliminates and dissolves all this hierarchy or ability, and it's like, listen, these are these are the things that are the most important. And it's actually making me think of another book. It's at the front of my mind because I'm also reading it currently. It's the Twelve Laws of the Universe. Have you read this? I have not. Yeah, it's fascinating and it's perhaps a same way or a different way of saying similar things, but when you're like, it's this universal law, it's this universal key. The very first law is the law of oneness, and it's speaking about how we're all created from the same source. We're the same thing, just different expressions of the same thing. And a metaphor, yeah, a metaphor that it was using was like, the ocean is the ocean, and then there's waves that come out of the ocean that are the individual expression of the ocean. But the wave returns to the sea, it's still made up of the same stuff that I love this law and what you're saying too, because the human experience is that of disconnection. What we often experience is disconnection, but it's reminding us of connection and taking us out of isolation and back to integration, out of our things that make us seemingly feel different from one another, and remind us of the things that brings us into union with one another, which of course is such a beautiful yoga concept. So wow, wow, and way to articulate that. And that is what I'm hearing when you speak about breathers and that it just it almost like levels the playing fields and it welcomes in all people.
Speaker 1: I love that you've understood that part about leveling the playing field. It really is a model of co empowerment and real equality and equity. If we can bring about a planet in which everybody can breathe safely and fully and well, you know there's that saying that death is the great equalizer. I think breath is the great equalizer. We all want to be able to breathe. And in fact, you know a couple of things I'll say about that is in twenty twenty, I feel like humanity experienced the shadow. I think that we are trying to birth the culture of love. We are trying to come out of kind of cultures that have fear and personality that are very endemic in them and move to a level of love and creativity. And so the shadow since breathing, Since when we're born, we're wired to do two things. Physiologically, the first thing we have to do is breathe, that's the imperative. Emotionally, the first thing we have to do is connect or love. Babies will love their parents no matter what. So the twinned immediacy of that that we're born wired to love and wired to breathe as our primary directive at that moment is so profound for neurological impacts the way we think about ourselves and life and others, that if that could be supported from the very beginning, it would be profound. And what I noticed in twenty twenty is that the shadow of that, which would be breathlessness, swept across our planet in three waves. First the fires started, so there was the huge fire in Australia. A billion animals died, that's what they estimate. People died, trees died. Then the fires broke out in Europe, and then there was the huge one in the western part of the United States. COVID came and suddenly everyone was aware. So the fires, I just would have to say, they suffocated, you know, animals and people and plants, and so many died COVID. We became so aware of the importance of breathing. And I think sometimes about how people were with their family members or healthcare workers were tending to patients. It still makes me cry to think about how they would be sitting there just thinking to themselves, just one more breath, just hang in there. If you can breathe, just one more breath, maybe you can make it through. Like, we just became so aware of the preciousness of each breath because COVID in particular, was an attack on the respiratory system. And then there were the famous words spoken by George Floyd, I can't breathe, and that you know, all of this was happening during the same time period in twenty twenty, and I think when George said those words, he was saying them obviously for himself. But what happened in the world is that you know, from time and memorial there have been people that have spoken those same words when they were not free to breathe, when they had to hold their breath because feeling like if they brought too much attention to themselves, when when things happened to them, like happened to George Floyd, anybody who feels suppressed, marginalized. So we had these three waves of breathless, you know, breathlessness sort of come in to our awareness. And I think that when the shadow arises like that, it means that the golden Shadow is nearby. I think that humanity wants to start to value breathing. It wants to start to understand the implications of it, the complexities of it, the richnesses of it that we have just taken for granted, and that when we consciously breathe, we're no longer breathing just from our brain stem. We are engaging the pre you know, the prefrontal cortex, because we're deciding to breathe in a conscious way, and we're engaging in the limbic brain because the emotion around that is that there's some kind of value of breathing with awareness, or breathing deeper, or doing some kind of breathwork. So the brain now instead of just having the sorry automatic breathing from the brain stem is lit up in a kind of global neural coherence where the prefrontal cortex, the limbic brain, and the brainstem are all participating in the same action, and we know that the respiratory circuits are embedded throughout the brain, and it opens up a state of capacity and regulation and having access to your resources and memories that you didn't know you had, and all kinds of riches open up. So I really feel that we're in the time period now where the shadow was visited so strongly at breathlessness, and now consciously or unconsciously for many people still, we're trying to birth a species that really values breathing and love.
Speaker 2: It's always darkest before the dawn kind of kind of feeling, yes, And I love how you've done that in so many different ways, and what you just said, and then even in the book of here's how it literally transpires in the body, and then more of the either emotional or metaphorical repercussion of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that when you were asking about the process of the book, one other thing that I could say is, since I felt so such an experiential understanding of the universality of breathing and that it's the great equalizer and all the things that.
Speaker 2: It could do.
Speaker 1: I also felt really committed to having the book have the science, the philosophy, the spirituality, the psychology, the poet the poetry of it all, you know, the music of it all, the psychological processes, psychodynamic understanding, I even the mathematic of it all. I tried to really pull so much of that all in together because I was really trying to show, yeah, the universality of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yes, And I think you just articulated it so well because I was like, what is the word to describe, and I guess it's very just multi dimensional or multifaceted and viewing the same thing through different lenses and from different perspectives. So you really achieved it. You did a great job, and especially for someone like me who I wouldn't necessarily call myself the science part, I find it interesting, but that language doesn't stick in my brain as easily. I have a harder time. I wouldn't use those words, you know. So I learned a lot when you were really getting into the science part, which I do want to have you, you know, unpack on some of the listeners and maybe help educate. But there was the specific part that I wanted to ask you about is when you group them into five categories, would you maybe for listeners talk the five categories before then maybe going into some of the breath anatomy and the brain anatomy part was really fascinating too of what is literally going on in the body while you're breathing as well. Thank you so much, McKenzie. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, I've said for a long time that breath work is a spectrum of breathing practices that are meant to enhance physical, emotional, cognitive, and spiritual wellbeing. And it just, you know, just like some people like classical music and other people prefer, you know, country music, and other people prefer jazz and rock, but it's still music. You know, that universality piece there. You know, everybody is different, every psyche is different, every soul is different. And so what is going to support someone in breathing, in in regulating and feeling whole, in becoming present to their full capacity. What kind of breathing is going to support that? It is going to be very different for every person, and I thought it was very important therefore to differentiate that it's not just conscious breathing. That's the maintenance thing that we all can learn to do throughout throughout the day, and that is incredibly powerful to be aware of your breathing all day long and even into the night and while you're sleeping. But if you're going to use breathwork practices, what practices are you using for what purpose for that particular person at that time? And so I thought it would be useful to understand these five categories that there are these simple breathing practices, most of which have to do with a slightly deeper inhale and a long or exhale of some kind that is a relaxing exhale. I call these just you know, restoration and regulation practices Group one, and they're very simple. Three breasts will make a huge difference, you know. Sometimes they include an audible sigh. Sometimes they include a little movement. Sometimes it could be a little faster or slower, but it's meant to essentially re establish a homeostasis of where the autonomic nervous system is regulated and the person is relaxed and they're restored. The second group is awareness practices. Now many people would call that mindfulness. I chose particularly not to call it mindfulness because again just really trying to stay out of any particular culture of how these how breathing is described. So awareness is just more universal and it's really just about the power of becoming aware of your breathing. Already creates that global neural coherence, and then if you can become aware of your breathing with the actions that you're taking, that becomes very powerful for bringing all kinds of insights to you about yourself and your life. The third group is therapeutic. These are very specific breathwork practices that have you know, what is the rate that I'm breathing?
Speaker 2: Is it fast? Is it slow?
Speaker 1: Is it this many breats per minute? Is it you know something? Does it change each minute? Am I breathing through my nose or my mouth? Why would I be doing that? How might each benefit me?
Speaker 2: Or not?
Speaker 1: Am I having a long, slow, deep breath? Or am I breathing very quickly?
Speaker 2: You know? How?
Speaker 1: What is my body position? It's the ratio, like am I breathing in at the same amount that I'm breathing out? Or am I breathing in and then breathing out a lot longer, you know all just am I breathing through one nostril? Am I breathing through both nostrils? All of these different kinds of things. There are practices that we know and some of them have science behind them. Now, some of them we have experiential knowledge. Some of them we have the science that we know they produce certain results, you know, for instance, heating up the body, relaxing, going to sleep, energizing, focus, you know, attention. There's also like breathing practices to help if we have any kind of respiratory challenge asthma, emphysema, different COPD, or just we have a cold or a flu. There are actually practices that can help clean out the lungs and heal, help you heal faster. If you're overbreathing, like blowing off too much carbon dioxide, there are practices that can help to help teach you how not to do that. I mean, yeah, there's so many. So there's these therapeutic set of practices. The fourth I call development, and it's about developing the qualities that we all want to develop as human beings. For instance, awareness, compassion, humility, strength, empowerment, faith, trust, joy, beauty. I mean all of these inner peace, love, loving kindness, all of these things that all of us would like to be able to experience. There are breathing techniques. There are breathing practices that will give you a somatic experience of those qualities. And one of my favorite parts of the book is in chapter nine. Since you've read it, you might remember this. There's about fifteen pages of practices that are about all these different qualities that I was just naming, you know, power and peace and alignment and faith and love and radiance. And it's so wonderful to do these practices. Many of them are with movement, but they don't have to be. That help us have a somatic and cognitive experience of those qualities so that we can embody them and not just think about them. And the fifth group is I call potential. As you know, and these are your breathing practices. Some of if your listeners may be very familiar with some of these names like conscious connected breathing, therapeutic breathing, integrative breathing, holotropic breathing, transformational breathing. There are many schools around the world that have developed a method for using breathing to enter heightened if not expanded states of consciousness. Essentially, what's happening is that people are moving into a state of flow. We know from the science of flow that we get a little bit of down regulation of the prefrontal cortex, which allows us a little more access to the limbic brain, that allows us access to our implicit memory, like unknowing that we would some kind sometimes call it in guidance. And so when people go through those kinds of breathwork sessions, which I just want to say to your listeners, I highly encourage you to make sure that it's a practitioner that has a lot of training, hopefully has been certified by the Global Professional Breathwork Alliance, and is committed to ethical practice, because they're very exalted and vulnerable and tender and beautiful states that people can get into, and very open. You're open to your deepest self, you're open to your potential, you're open to the oneness.
Speaker 2: That we all are.
Speaker 1: And you want to have a guide who has done their own inner work. They're very committed to their own inner wholeness and they understand these kinds of states that you can get into, and they are very they've studied ethics, so they know how to work with you, and they have psychological understanding of the psychodynamic process of the younger parts of us that would come up during those times. So but anyway, all of those schools, they may do different methods, they may have a different emphasis about what they're paying attention to, but essentially they're all about opening up to that.
Speaker 2: You just said so many good things. I'm so excited to listen back and honestly read it all again. Okay, so just for my brain and then also the listeners, Restoration, awareness, therapeutic development, and potential were your five groups. So grateful and thankful that you mentioned under the potential category because I feel like especially holotropic is so it's very buzz not buzzword, but I guess the type of breath work experience that most people think of currently, especially in the yogic scene, of getting in a big room everybody's breathing in a certain way and then having these crazy like almost what's the word just all U states, yeah, altered states, And it's very it's filmed. Often you see this on social media of people having these huge cathartic releases and things, and I often think too of I have friends who are now guiding some stuff and I'm like, are you really number one qualified to be doing that? And also is the still within our scope of the service that we should be providing. And in that vein for yoga teachers too, have even question yourself if you're offering some of these if you really are you know, qualified to be doing that. McKenzie.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad that you picked up on that because it gives me an opportunity to say, I think that, like many discoveries, there was a time when the group five Potential Breath were We're kind of like the wild Wild West.
Speaker 2: It was just so exciting. It's kind of like when the Beatles, you know, hit the scene in the Sigam Internet or the Internet came out or something.
Speaker 1: It's just like, you know, and so everything can be used for good or it can be used unconsciously, and we know the kinds of things that can happen when things are used unconsciously, like the Internet, right, so you know what's happened is I mean, I think holotropic Breathwork is. You know, Stan Groff, the founder of it, is a beautiful man. I've had the honor and privilege of teaching with him. There's a few stories about him in the book Where Friends, and that work has been amazing, and so to all of these other schools, I in particular have decided that what I really want is for people to be able to have a deep intimacy, like a deep personal intimacy with their breathing without music, without craziness going on. Because look, if we're ever in a natural disaster and medicines are cut off and there's no machines to play music or whatever, the medicine that we're going to have is our own breathing. And I know it's the most sensual, powerful medicine that any of us have. So I want everyone to be able to be fluent in their own breathing. And I think that requires that people have individual breathwork sessions with a well trained practitioner as well as group sessions, because both have their advantages and both have their shadows. So in our school, at Inspiration Consciousness School, we ask all of our students to have an individual breath worker and to participate in consciousness classes, in breathwork classes.
Speaker 2: And like that.
Speaker 1: And I just really feel strongly like you were talking about scope of practice, the breathwork ethics that we have through the Global Professional Breathwork Alliance, are very clear, explicitly over and over and over again that we have to stay within the scope of our training. So for yoga teachers, I was almost thinking of you guys when I created this. This like happened in me several years ago. I had this thought, you know, yoga teachers. I mean, first of all, the heart of yoga is really it is breathing. And when you look at the ancient texts, like Shirley tell Us is probably the foremost yoga researcher in the world. She's got over two hundred researches published, and she's connected with the potentially institute in India, and she's Oxford trained, and she's brilliant, and she's a really sweet friend of mine, and she's been having her teams study all of the ancient yoga texts and it's just clearer than clearer can be that the origin of yoga was about conscious breathing, and these other things that developed out of it were almost like manifestations, like the body would start to move into these positions that would open up certain energies. But it was all coming from being connected to the breathing. So I was thinking about, you know, the impact that yoga teachers have on the world, and I said to myself, Okay, there's going to be yoga teachers that don't want to do the four hundred hour or more you know, to over two years learn how to do expanded states of consciousness, but they are using breathing and people they might start to feel like they're having people in their classes that are having different experiences, So what can they do to have ethical practice as a breathworker. So we now have this category of certification called an Ethically Compliant Breathworker and it's a fifty hour training with eight hours in addition of that to that of ethics over like a six to nine month period. And I specifically created it for yoga teachers, although I know that other people are going to utilize it. And so if you're a yoga teacher, you could look on the Global Professional Breathwork Alliance website and you could find some schools that are offering these fifty hour facilitation trainings for breathwork that include ethics, and then you can be certified and on the website that you're practicing within your scope ethically, but you do have training and breathwork.
Speaker 2: Thank you for thinking of us and making that because it is a slippery slope, and I don't think anybody is intentionally you know, well maybe some are, but I don't think you're intentionally trying. You're trying to help, you're trying to be in service of But sometimes I think, yeah, it can definitely get outside of our bounds. So I'm really grateful for that, and I myself will be looking into it as well.
Speaker 1: One other thing I just want to say about that, Mackenzie, is that you know, it was the publisher who I had not had this thought. I certainly had written about the Global Professional Breathwork Alliance in the book a little bit, but they actually felt after reading and studying and looking around that it says right at the front of the book they.
Speaker 2: Put it that.
Speaker 1: People should have a trained breathworker, preferably one that has been trained by the Global Professional Breath bath Work Alliance or has been certified excuse me, by the Professional Breath Work Alliance. And like, I'm working with one yoga school right now that created a fifty hour training for people to do, and I'm one of their principal teachers in this program that specifically so that yoga teachers can be ethically certified.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is amazing. And I just got this new laptop and I don't know how to mute any sounds, so excuse me if you heard a little ding. I feel like the science part would be really advantageous for me to hear directly from you about the anatomy of what's really going on when we're breathing, breaking it down in a way that yoga teachers can somewhat simply share with their students in real time. Would you be able to walk us through what it looks like underneath the skin and the everything that's happening inside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so well to say to people too that if you're interested in that part. Chapter four in the book was like a labor of love. I for probably fifteen years, I had wanted to write a chapter or wanted to write about breathing that wasn't just like, Okay, what's the heart rate variability or what's the pH or what about the autonomic nervous system and sympathetic comparasympathetic because most breathwork books or breathing books would focus on one or two of those aspects. And I was like, wait a minute. There's brain waves, there's pH there's heart rate variability, there's the anatomy, there's you know, there's the auto nervous system, there's the microbiome, there's and I came up with, you know twelve, there's the polyvagel in the vegus nerve. And so I came up with like twelve of these different aspect and I was very fortunate to have a professor from Johns Hopkins, who was a brain specialist who's also trained with me to be a breath worker, to co write that chapter so that I could make sure that it was absolutely scientifically accurate. And that end of it culminates where you can actually breathe and you've now understood all of these different things in terms that it's written at a kind of a college level, college level, not graduate, but you know, undergraduate, and you can now breathe and be aware of all of those things happening in you, like every inhale and every exhale, and it's actually a kind of a psychedelic experience.
Speaker 2: I don't know, you took yourself through it achdelic It really is. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: So I think what I'll do right now is just because it would you know, that could be a two hour podcast right there is just to talk about a couple of the most essential basic parts for the for the yoga teachers. So we have I'm sure everybody knows this, but we have this amazing muscle, the diaphragm. It's the most important and the most powerful muscle in our body, and it is smooth, flat muscle tissue that is lying when it's at rest, it's in a dome shape. That where the dome is up right underneath the ribbed cage. So if you if you know how your ribs go sort of are almost like in a v they come up in a vortex at the bottom. There the diaphragm rests. When it's at rest, it's in a dome shape underneath that ribbed cage. It's attached to the ribs and your spine, and it's this amazing flexible muscle. The most important thing we can do for our longevity, for our states of consciousness, for our emotional regulation people is to have a diaphragm that is both flexible and strong. And there are there exercises that you can do to help your diaphragm become more flexible, and there are exercises you can do to strengthen it, though it will stand you in good stead. When we inhale, the diaphragm moves down, so the dome now inverts and it moves down and it becomes like a vacuum. It creates a suction and a vacuum that expands the lungs. It pulls the lungs down so the lungs are now stretched out to and when that happens, it creates a differential in the pressure in your body so that air can flowing easily through your lungs. When you exhale, that diaphragm moves back up into the resting position where the dome is lying against or up against the ribs. That is the most essential thing to know that having a flexible diaphragm, and which you can work a lot on by actually doing gentle massage on your own abdomen and feeling underneath, putting your fingers underneath the ribs and kind of feeling if there's you know how you'll sometimes feel like a little muscle not or something's not flexible about your tissue, and you can just kind of work on that all along your rib cage and then massage your stomach and then also do like what we would call pandiculation, which is kind of like what a cat does when it wakes up, you know, kind of stretches and yawns and the body just moves. That's really powerful as a human being. So that if you're taking huge deep breasts and you're stretching like that, that will also help give your diaphragm more flexibility. Strengthening your diaphragm can be things like actually lying on your back and placing a small weight, very small at first, tiny amount of weight on your belly and making yourself have your which is supposed to happen your belly's supposed to expanduring inhale, but really almost exaggerating it, so your diaphragm has to work a little bit harder, and then you can work your way up with the weights on that. These are just a few examples, but just to understand the beauty of this amazing work of art of this diaphragm and how it's going to flow and invert it self and create and pull down your lungs. So your lungs are now like this almost like a vacuum. That's pulling in the air, so that really if you focus there, that's where you're going to get the most progress about your breathing. And then to understand that when the air comes in through your trachea through the it comes through the mouth into a tube called the trachea, which breaks into two branches that go to each of the lungs, the bronchi, and then in the bronchi. Rather in the lungs, the bronchi becomes smaller until they a smaller and smaller until they end up in these little tiny sacts called the aveoli. And when you can get the air all the way into the aveole ee, you create such a lovely capacity to move oxygenated blood when you exhale into the blood stream, into the vein, into the arteries, into the blood stream, so that you have really highly oxygenated blood and you're efficiently releasing carbon dioxide and not either blowing out too much carbon dioxide or retaining too much carbon dioxide. And yeah, so now what's happening in the brain is that you know, I think I already explained this. We're breathing from a little mechanism in the brain discovered by Jackfeld. Doctor Jack Feldman at UCLA. The instigator of breathing is called the prebot cinder complex. It's in the brain stem. It's a rhythm generator. And I love to say that because rather than thinking of an on off switch, to really understand that our breathing is not an on off thing. It's a rhythm. It's like it's a pulse, it's music. I tried to bring in as much poetry feeling of poetry in the book, because this is a work of art. This is like great beauty. The science it's self is art, you know, And so at any rate, so if you're breathing automatically without thinking, the prebots in your complex is going to stimulate and inhale, and you're going to inhale, and you're going to be pulling in oxygen and some nitrogen because the air is made of nitrogen and a little bit of carbon dioxide. And there's going to be a point right when you are needing to exhale where there's a little phase that's called the post inspiration phase. And so some people will experience that as a small pause, and it's a perfectly natural thing. And then what happens is we begin to exhale and the brain goes into more of a passive state. It's not pushing, it's not wanting to push the air, push your lungs out. It's wanting to just release the air that's in your lungs and the air that has been coming in has been filtered. If you've breathed through your nose with those little sillia hairs in your nose that are you know, kind of removing viruses, toxins, things in the air that are not particles that would not be good for you. But on the way out, the brain is in more of a rest state in the exhale. Now, there's so many other things we could talk about. We could talk about the vagus nerve, we could talk about the brain waves, we could talk about the heart rate variability. I think the one thing that I will suggest to yoga teachers is it is absolutely optimal if you have your students do any kind of breathing exercises and you'll yoga poses and asinas in any of that is to have them end the session by breathing in a manner where the amount of time that they're breathing in becomes equivalent to the amount of time they're breathing out and vice versa. That is the most regulating kind of breathing. There is the body loves inhale and exhale to be at the exact same amount of time. And many people know about coherent breathing, sometimes called resonance breathing, which is generally five to sixpress a minute, and it is very powerful and it works for most people. But there are some people who need to breathe less than that for optimal regulation, and some that need to breathe more. So I would want to encourage yoga teachers. There's a beautiful technique called Matrica promium Sha means mother of mothers. It's the mother of all mothers, and there's a beautiful description of it in chapter seven in the book, and it teaches you how to teach people how to find their own rate of inhale at next shale that is optimal for them, rather than to do it by it, even though it's very powerful to do it with the bells and the five point two breasts permitted or six breast per minute. I think what's more optimal is to have them find the rate of breathing that works for them on that day and you can teach them that, and so you can find that in the book.
Speaker 2: That is so lovely, and this whole conversation has been so lovely, And as with all anytime I continue to endeavor down learning more about yoga, it always seems that the answer is, well, it depends, you know, it depends on where you're starting from and where you'd like to go and exactly how you go about getting to that. And I think that that is a testament to a true master, like somebody who really understands this is like, there really isn't you know, one general or one size fits all. I'd love that you you made it roomy enough.
Speaker 1: And I think that when we do make one size fits all for anything, Mackenzie, I think we can actually do harm to people because people can either be doing something that actually isn't good for them, It isn't optimizing, and they feel like they're comparing themselves to something that says this is what they should be doing. So it can be very disorienting, dysregulating, can even be shaming it just you know, I think we really need to understand that each person is a bioindividual and yoga and breathing and nutrition and all of it, optimally would be bio individualized.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree more. Well, thank you so much, Jessica for hopping on the podcast, for being so generous and everything that you shared in the book and here in this chat. If listeners are loving what you're saying and they're wanting to jump into the book the trainings, where can they plug into you and your world, share a little bit about how they can get connected.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much so. If you would like to connect with me personally or the training programs that I do, you could go to our website which is www dot Inspirationcommunity dot org, inspiration Community all one word, or you can write to me at essence at Inspirationcommunity dot org. The website for the Global Professional Breathwork Alliance is Breathworkalliance dot com. There's another website that I'll briefly tell you about, which is Universal Breathingdeclaration dot earth. And that declaration was written in twenty twenty when those three waves of breathlessness happened, and I just woke up in the middle of the night and I was like, every person deserves to be able to breathe fully and well and safely. How can we bring about that world. And so there's a website Universal Breathingdeclaration dot earth where you'll see a little video and you'll see the declaration. It's been signed by Jack Cornfield, it's been signed by doctor Dan Siegel, been signed by people from about twenty different countries already from around the world, and you would have the chance to commit to being a person that would live those principles and practice conscious breathing every day. And also McKenzie has a link if any of you want to get the book that it's twenty percent off and free shipping for her listeners. And yeah, so those are some different ways you can be in touch.
Speaker 2: Excellent, yes, and we'll include everything in the show notes. Thank you so much for sharing that with my community, the twenty percent off and the free shipping, and just thank you. Thank you again, Jessica, thank.
Speaker 1: You Mackenzie, Thank you for caring so much about the world that you devote yourself to this podcast. Thank you, Thank you to you as well for what you've written. And thank you, dear listener for also investing the time and coming back each and every Wednesday for your daily dose of master your yoga teaching. So until next week, no mistay.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. If this is your first time, peruse our feed to see if there's something else that will serve you. We're so grateful that you're here and invite you to join our inner circle by subscribing to our newsletter. If this episode resonated with you, help us spread the word by sending it to a friend who needs to hear this message. Likes, follows, sends, shares, and reviews. Help us to continue delivering high quality content to you for free each and every week. Don't forget to tag at master your yoga teaching so we can reshare. I am a certified yogi. However, this podcast is intended for information and entertainment only. If you are interested in mentorship or coaching with me, check out the website linked in the show notes to get more information. This content and other content produced by CLW Studios and affiliated partners is not therapy, and nothing in this content indicates a therapeutic relationship. Any opinions of guests on the podcast are their own and do not represent the opinions of Mackenzie or see LW Studios. Learn more about Mackenzie, her guests, and CLW Studios by following the links in the show notes keep shining, and we will see you next Wednesday for another dose of master your yoga teaching, no mistay. Bless