Speaker 1: Oh hey, it's the bouncer who pretends to check your idea. But who are we kidding? Ali Ward, I'm her. This is ologies you're here unless you are my parents, in which case please leave. Okay, bye bye? Now okay, all right, they're gone. Cool, Okay, So let's get into Dick's with an ologist who wrote the actual book on them. She has a PhD in Biological sciences from the University of Texas at Austin and authored the book Fallacy Life Lessons from the Animal Penis. And you have read her words, perhaps enjoyed her RYE. Candor in Scientific American American Scientist, Forbes, Slate, and more. She's taught biology and genetics. I became aware of her book and I begged her to talk boners with me. And then life got busy and she gently popped up in my inbox And what followed was a business email that included the word dong several times in all caps. And here we are, so before though we get to the nuts and the bolts of inflatable crotches, let us say quick thanks to patrons who make the show doable. It costs a dollar months to join that club, and some bit questions. Also thanks to everyone who's rated and hit subscribe on this podcast that matters so much. And the reviews, Oh, the reviews. They keep ologies right now the number two science show on Apple and I read them all. And this week let's read aloud Marma the candy bar who called ologies, science, comedy, life, hacks, therapy all in one. So get ready for all of that and more, including if you stick around, some sex tips this week sourced from ologites anonymously, also norm Saxy, I'm sorry about your pops and as You're weird Internet dat I sent hux. Okay, let's get into it. Philology it's a word. It is derived from the proto Indo European root to swell, which is swell indeed, So buckle up. Get ready to hear about pronged dongs, myths about toxic masculinity, why an erectile might dysfunct and what to do if size really matters? And to whom turtle romance, Sea slug sparring, the biggest members of the animal Kingdom, Life beyond a Binary, the gift shop that keeps on giving, And reasons you might affix a metal dick to your baby Now as deep as we went. This whole episode could have just been miles long, and we touched on as many penis questions as possible. And even as I record this, more info is just gushing in. I'll be adding into the very very end, So stay tuned for trivia tricks and of course just the tips with scientists author and philologist doctor Emily Willingham.
Speaker 2: First name is Emily, last name is Willingham, unless you're British, in which case apparently it's Willingham and my pronouns or she her.
Speaker 1: Wow, philology? Did you know it existed?
Speaker 3: Did I personally know it existed?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did.
Speaker 2: At some point in my life I did learn of its existence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you call yourself a philologist? No?
Speaker 3: Can you start?
Speaker 1: Because it's great?
Speaker 3: Can you imagine that? I mean, people be like, what what do you mean by that?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, tell me a little bit about how long your life has involved the dick.
Speaker 2: Let's see so that there's so many ways to answer that question. I mean, you know, with sex life or research life, or let's start, let's say the research. I'm becaus I don't want to get too private for people who aren't here to consent to that, I would say, you know, I actually started out with gonads because I feel like you need to start at the beginning of any story. And yeah, so I did my PhD was a focus on gonads, but I when I did my post doc, what we focused on was penises. So it was like two thousand and two when I started getting into that.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me about why your research pointed in that direction? What was it about gonads and dogs?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 2: I don't know, it's so weird, but I'm just really into reproductive biology. I don't know why. I have an English degree and when I went to biological sciences. I remember I was looking through this like man like pamphlet or something from the school I attended was University of Texas at Austin, and looking through like what the researchers did, you know, like whether they what they focused on?
Speaker 3: I put actually drew little hearts.
Speaker 2: I was way too old to be doing this next to these two labs, the pictures of the pis and two labs that did this kind of work, and I just, I mean, it just that's just what I wanted to do. I can't explain it.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: She just loved it. A light bulb went off of fire ignited in her soul, and doctor Willingham was like, go nats have my whole heart. Is the work? Is it very hands on or is it a lot of lab work? How does that work?
Speaker 3: It is hands on?
Speaker 2: And actually what that means in a more serious note, is that a lot of times it's hands on, you know, with animals, and they don't survive the hands on goodness, So you know, there's not a lot of selaciousness to it. But it is basic research, so you do kind of learn about what makes these things tick.
Speaker 1: Did you find that because of what you were studying you got a lot of questions from people in your social circles? I mean, did you find yourself being introduced to dinner parties? Is like this is Emily She said sticks.
Speaker 2: Well, you know no, but I used to write about what I did and say, you know, if you start, If I started to talk about it parties, feed was sort of back away slowly, like what do you do? Well? I study gonads and it was just like okay, And so I decided maybe that's not a party word, Like you shouldn't say gonads at a party. Maybe, And but yeah. Now I do actually get a ton of questions from people about penises all the time.
Speaker 1: Was it just easier to write a book?
Speaker 3: It's funny.
Speaker 2: It was not easy to write a book, but it was incredibly fun to write a book that was this stuff is interesting. Can't get away from how interesting it is, oh for sure.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure if people do start asking questions, you can just say, please.
Speaker 3: Here's a book. I write a book. Can you buy the book I wrote?
Speaker 1: So let's I guess start at the base if we shall, and can you explain what is a penis or a phallis in atomical terms?
Speaker 3: Holy cow?
Speaker 2: So that's a big question because I mean, across the animal kingdom, what they're made out of varies enormously. And if you're in the world of penis research or the Genitalia researchers of the world, you discovered that they actually also like to ark you a lot about what actually makes a penis, or at least some of them do. Maybe we're just bored.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And so not everything is a penis that we call a penis depending on whom you talk to. So if you take a human or a mammalian version of this. You know, they humans don't have a bone, but a lot of mammals do. So there's a bone in the bone and that's called the os penis actually, and there's let's see, smooth muscle which we can't contract, you know, voluntarily, so you know, our body's going to have to do that for us. And they have blood vessels, and they have spongy tissue that you know, you can get get filled with blood as we all might might know, i know, be familiar with that. And yeah, and then of course there's skin and running through it has skin on it, which is good. And then running through running down the center of it is a urethra and most commonly that exits at the tip of it, and the tip of it, you know, there's a little helmet on it. There's a foreskin and that's the glands, and then the longer part of it's called the shaft.
Speaker 1: So there you have it, like a realator giving you a tour of a quaint homichelong. So that's form. Let's talk function and then we'll talk fine and does something have to be a sperm delivery device to be considered a penis?
Speaker 2: So it not really because there no there are things that delivers firm that are that don't dot are not penises, and it gets very complex.
Speaker 3: So I used to describe penis as a.
Speaker 2: Sperm delivery systems if that was back when I was young, beautiful and innocent and didn't know what I was talking about. Somehow, still teaching biology to freshmen and the universities. But the reality is that lots of different things are used to transmit sperm. Sometimes feet in your billipede, for example, And sometimes the penis doesn't really do that at all. You just sort of load up the penis, you transfer its contents to some other body part, and then you insert the sperm. So there are lots of ways to get that into a partner without using a penis.
Speaker 1: So sometimes the penis is just the cocking gun. Let's talk about some quick flim flam. I think obviously culturally there's a big binary in terms of like, you have a penis, you are a man, it transmits sperm. You do not have a penis, you're a woman. But obviously in your studies there's a lot of gray areas, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, our problem is a species is. We really like to categorize things, and we don't like a lot of categories, which is not fans of it. So we'd like to make two, and we like to just squeeze everything we can into those two categories. You know, nature has other ideas. The subtitle of my focused life Lessons from the Animal Penis, And one of the lessons is is that you know, penises don't make an animal male, and not all male animals have them, and in some cases animals that make eggs actually have the structure that transmits sperm to a partner, inserts into and transmits sperm into a partner. And I mean, I think we know from being human beings that a penis doesn't make a man, and a man doesn't always have a penis. So you know, it's way more, way more complicated than the two buckets we like so much.
Speaker 1: Hold up, let's back up here. Who does what with a what? And what kind of animals were you just talking about who have sperm but or who have eggs? And what types of animals do that?
Speaker 2: So there are a couple, one is to be pretty well known, which is the seahorse, and they don't what they use isn't really technically a penis. There I made a term in the boat because across different kinds of groups of species, people have so many different names for these organs. They call them so many different things, and so I just needed one term that captured it, and so I decided on intro mim because intromission is inserting an organ into something and transmitting gammis.
Speaker 1: Once again, that was an intromittent.
Speaker 2: Organ, and so the sea horse doesn't really have this technically. What the seahorse does is that the female, the one that makes the eggs, takes those eggs and puts them into the male pouch and then the male broods them. And when that happens, there's just this tiny little moment where some uman sperm comes out of a little poor in the male, and you know, it fuses with the eggs and the male broods them.
Speaker 1: So the lady seahorse uses an ovipositor to jiz eggs into the boy seahorse, and he is like doins with a little bit of sperm, such as a salt ba might just gently sprinkle and then he incubates them. And some cave insects, Emily told me, have an ovipositor that goes into a boy cave insect and sucks up sperm. And that clutch info was published in a twenty fourteen study titled female penis, Male vagina and their correlated evolution in a cave ins which just introduced me to a new ology, cave ecology. It's dark and damp and musty and mystery. Let's do it. But back to seahorses. You know, I heard from some listeners a few years ago that trans men who carry babies are known as seahorses colloquially.
Speaker 3: Were you aware of that?
Speaker 2: You know, actually that does ring a bell performance. That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I had no idea. Can we talk a little bit about in humans, where does a glitterist and where does the penis come from? In development? Because I feel like I've seen like drawings where they kind of start in the same structural way and then they divide or sometimes with intersex humans divisions will be less binary. Can you kind of can you talk about the bulb of it all? Yes?
Speaker 2: Sure, I'm actually a developmental biologist, and so this is right in my so called sweet spot and things going into talking about the early structure is called a genital tubercle, and it's just a little nub that develops, and then what happens next really depends on what hormones are available, kind of regardless of which animal with the backbone you are. If you start out with this little genital tubercle nub and in us, if there's a hormone these are steroid hormones, a hormone called dihydro testosterone, which is a version of testosterone, then the urethra and that genital tubercle will start to elongate and you get what we call a penis. If there's a different kind of hormone present, and dihydrot tyestosterone isn't present, then that elongation doesn't occur and the urethra stays short. And what I used to tell my sons when they ask me why some people at penises some people don't, I would just say, well, some people just have a shorter urethra because I didn't when we don't want them to get all caught up and you know some of the other binary stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So how come even in an enlarged glitterist we don't pee out of.
Speaker 2: It in the case of development, and without the dihydrotyestosterone present, Yeah, the urethra goes in one direction, and that is just underneath where the glitterus is.
Speaker 1: Did you find, especially in writing this book, when you were deep in the creation process of it, did you just see dicks everywhere you went?
Speaker 2: Absolutely outside the window where I sit in my house where I work, there's a hillside and it just has this like sort of bear area.
Speaker 3: I swear to.
Speaker 2: God, I've been looking at it now for the longest time, and it just looks like a penis and testes out there.
Speaker 3: It just does.
Speaker 2: I look at it every day, so yes, yes, that's exactly what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Thoughts on Darth Vader.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny you mentioned that because I was watching that the other day, as one does, and I was looking at him, and I, you know, there was that part of it, and it really does look like that. But also it's oddly just the head.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really large for the rest of it.
Speaker 2: And I don't really know why they did that.
Speaker 1: Why does Darth look dickish? I had to know, so I sniffed down a few happy trails, one of which asserted that they were a nod to Nazi helmets ill but then a few other sources said that George Lucas wanted to kind of tip his hat toward Samurai culture, so designers based it on a helmet of a sixteenth century Japanese warrior, Data Masamune, And if you google it, you're like, oh, yeah, Darth Vader is just Data Masamune cosplay. So now we know why he is shaped like one of those, but on the flip side. And when it comes to the head of the penis, can you explain why does it look like a Darth Vader helmet?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know it can only infer.
Speaker 2: But you know, there are lots of people, not lots, but some people have tried to explain it as, oh, it's my favorite thing. It's a plunger or something like it plunges semen out of a woman out of you know, the partner's reagina, because you're trying to get rid of that because you're.
Speaker 3: The next guy in a line.
Speaker 2: And I'm just thinking, you know, I know people are really various and how they do things, but you know most people don't just have I mean, why a run into bed and have partners lined about the door so that they can come in one up to the other and just plunge the vagina, you know, and get their semen in line. So that's kind of a funny way to look at it. And I mean, people have hypothesized all kinds of reasons, but nobody has a direct explanation for that.
Speaker 1: But that is that sort of the leading hypothesis for now.
Speaker 2: No, because I think that the people who are proposing that were leading with something else when they thought that that when they decided that or proposed it.
Speaker 3: I don't buy it.
Speaker 1: I had heard that it was to clean things out, but and I just accepted, like, Okay, that must be what it's for. But it's interesting that it might maybe could have served aerodynamic purposes as well.
Speaker 2: So I would say clean things out, really, I mean, I understand why you like that seems plausible. I think a lot of people have found it plausible, But there's not. In the way that humans made and the made structure that we have, it doesn't make a ton of sense that there would be a need to clean things out. And also just the way sperm travels so quickly and how all of that works, that wouldn't work anyway.
Speaker 3: It's be a little too late.
Speaker 2: For that to really have an effect, and it's not really that impressive. Mean, one of the things that I write about in the book is that our penis is not particularly impressive. It doesn't have a lot of adormans. It doesn't suggest that there's a lot of competition with like the males having sex with a female or something like that, which you see in a lot of other species, because when that happens, those penises have all kinds of things on them, like spikes and hooks, and you know, just really fancy looking, and ours.
Speaker 3: Isn't like that at all.
Speaker 2: They're very fancy, fancy folly is.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry. Humans with penises not a lot of bells and whistles, but there are a lot of balls and whiskers. Anyway, Doctor Willingham says that our partner structure is pretty chick well compared to some other organisms. I did want to ask about that if you could walk us through maybe a gallery of highlights of some dogs in the animal Kingdom, some really some notable ones.
Speaker 2: The most notable dongs in the animal Kingdom. Well, I sort of mentioned the millipedese because they just kind of kill me because they have this pair of legs that they use, and there's another pair that serves up the semen. But before they do that, they first test the partner with like an uncharged pair of legs. They're like, poke, and if it seems like it works okay, which I mean the one possible explanation for that, they're just like, is this the right species? Is this a millipede? You know you're going to make sure. But then then they get their the legs and they draw up the semen from another pair of legs and then use them for real, just kind of I don't know, that just sort of amazes me. Another one that amazes me or this these swallow tail butterflies, and what do I understand other butterfly species may have this is but they have light receptors on their genitalia fancy, which means they can detect light with their genitalia.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: I imagine if you could detect light with your genitalia.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Absolutely changes the rave scene seriously, like.
Speaker 3: Changes a lot, like what would you do?
Speaker 2: So that one's also I really sort of enjoy that people talk about dut penises all the time because they're cork screw shave holistic and I'm honestly kind of over them. Just some like okay, fine, whatever.
Speaker 1: And if you're not yet over that fact, great news. I have more dick duck gossip. Okay, so most birds do not have release. Ninety seven percent of them happily dickless. They just perform a little chloacal kiss is what it's called. They gingerly smash buttholes and boom, you've got baby birds. But ducks not only have wings, they have ones that can be longer than their entire bodies and are spiraled like a tightly wound curly fry. And likewise, duck vaginas are just a spiral staircase of resistance, replete with hidden pockets and dead ends. And according to doctor Patricia Brennan, a scientist who researches duck dicks, this likely evolved to thwart male ducks forced copulation. As doctor Brennan explored in a paper titled quote Explosive eversion and functional morphology of the duck penis supports sexual conflict in waterfowl Genitalia. Also, my good buddy, doctor Jason Coleman reported Vietnam GEO a few years ago that apparently a duck penis will shrink during the off season and then get big and weird. Again during a breeding frenzy. But if you're not the dominant male in your duck posse, your dangle dangle may just stay modest. But on the topic of small but mighty.
Speaker 3: The flea is a bit daunting.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: It has a penis that is sort of like you know, I know, people is weird how many people have like written poetically imp about fleas, like you know, John d and that kind of thing. But it has a penis that like curls up inside of its body and basically takes up the whole rear half of it and is a couple of times the length of the animal, And even when it's inserted into a partner, there's still a whole bunch of its still inside. Yeah, I know, fleas are just wacky.
Speaker 1: John Dunn who okay, so he is a dead English poet and a cleric who secretly married a lady and had twelve kids with her and also wrote some sad emo sonnets and some erotic ditties about books, such as the Flea, which includes the lines it sucked me first and now sucks thee and in this flea are two bloods mingledly. So this was like straight up horny shit in the fifteenth century and people were hot and sweaty under their woolen vestments about it.
Speaker 2: And then there's one in the book. One of my favorite pictures in the book is of this penis of fairly common snail in Australia. It's called felll Medusa selita or Solida, and it's kind of it's like if a mop were put on top of Medusa's head and then she kind of wrapped a fancy late eighteenth century cravat around her neck. That's what this thing would look like. It's really quite striking.
Speaker 1: Is it true that barnacles have the biggest body to member ratio?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I have this whole chapter on like, you know, who's like the big winner when it comes to you know, the biggest penis. And so I don't know if you how much you know about Charles Darwin's other interest besides natural selection situation.
Speaker 3: But he wrote this like.
Speaker 2: Four part gigantic set of monographs on barnacles, to the point that he actually got kind of sick of them. He just got you got to the point where he hated them, which is understandable.
Speaker 3: But there was this.
Speaker 2: One teeny teeny little barnacle. He found that at first they thought was like a parasite or something. It turned out to be the male version on the field, which is not uncommon. There are, you know, quite a few species where the male is teeny weeny. And then when you got a close enough look at this thing, it's penises like many times the size of its body. So it really does have the largest penis to body proportion of any animal. And if you wanted to go just like, well, what is just actually like the biggest penis on earth? You know, guess what that is?
Speaker 1: Oh, gosh, a whale.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the blue whale. Blue whale teps it. Oh god, a sorry.
Speaker 2: Feet yeah, eight feet feet So if you know somebody who's like six feet tall, add two feet to that and that's a blue average blue whale penis. I went to the icelandic Pellological Museum because you know, if you're writing a book about penises, you kind of almost have to do that. Yeah, and there are a ton you know, it's Iceland, so there are a ton of whale penises in that museum.
Speaker 1: I can't even imagine the gift shop.
Speaker 3: Oh, the gearshop was hilarious.
Speaker 2: Actually, the museum itself was a little sad to me because of a bunch of penises, like you know, dis bodied from the animals, which uh huh, I don't know kind of. It was not uplifting to me, but the gift shop is hysterical. Really enjoyed the gift shop.
Speaker 1: Not uplifting.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, there it is again.
Speaker 1: If you've just added the Phallological Museum to your travel bucket list, prepare for a whole gallery full of glass columns stuffed with wings of all shapes and sizes, floating in cepia toned liquids. Just stroll through the gift shop and browse an array of designer condoms, creatively handled mugs, some penis pasta. They got ice cube trays, lots of plush toys. They have human sized willie warmers and more, including of course, some carved wooden bottle openers that just straight up look like a severed pecker who's thirsty. Not me. That brings me to in terms of disembodied penises, what animals in the natural world do have a gift shop structure where the dong is broken off in a kind of courtship offering. Like I understand that seminole plugs and dicks just break off. In animals, octopuses will just break off a sperm paddle. Who's just like, I'm good, take it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's this is an interesting question because there are two kind of different sort of things driving the loss of the penis here, and so in one case there might be a sperm plug or a penis bit left behind. And there's some some people hypothesize that is too. That's basically like you've just blocked the door to the tomb there nobody else can get in, and so it keeps other suitors from showing up and doing anything. On the flip side of that, like, for example, there's an octopus that is called the paper nautilus, and it is neither paper nor a nautilus. Why we name things like we do, but we do, And it's an argonaut octopus. And the malest weenie compared to the female, and they're octopies. They're not above just sort of eating each other. If they get a chance to. She would make a snack out of him. Maybe, you know, she got the opportunity. And one of those is a heccatalyst, which takes little sperm packets and deposits them into the female, and this little guy he's like, you just keep this thing because I need to get out of here. He's just kind of like, you know, sneaks up and like pokes it in there and swims way as fast a scam before the much larger female decides.
Speaker 3: He also was lunch.
Speaker 2: And people used to find these females and find all these little like squirmy tentacle things inside of him. They thought that they might be parasites or something that had gotten in there.
Speaker 1: Literally just a bag of dicks. You are a bag of dicks. So perhaps it's not so much a ritual courtshiped gift as it's more akin to just tossing it all on red and then getting the hell out of dodge. It's really much more about preservation than it is about generosity though.
Speaker 2: Right, well, so in that case it is of courtship gifts. There are a species, probably one of the most famous ones is the bush cricket, and you just do with that what you will, which is known for the size of its nuptial gifts, which is semen and just like gallon, seem will bay if you were if the crickets were ir sized, just because an enormous amount of semen. But the thing is that semen has corrept and a nutrition in it, because you know, it's supporting the fur and the cells in there and all that. And so the idea going idea about that is that it can support the female and the great deal of work that goes on with you know, the development of new little members of a species. So that's a nuptial gift. There's a scale of those. It could be here's a gigantic bolus of semen all the way to here's my entire body and joy.
Speaker 1: You know, this makes me wonder in terms of the way that a sperm organ or just in general genitalia are used. Is there any evidence that there's a ton of nerve endings for all animals and that is incentive to mate or is it just maybe humans or or mammals that have a lot of nerves in the area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's an interesting question that I do not know the answer to. I don't know if they've looked at I haven't seen anything that's comparative of like, well, the nerves are the nerves there. I will say that, for example, some animals make these out of like plates on their thorax like some insects do that, and so I don't know how much nerve ending like physiologically you would have anything to do with that part of it. These are like the animals that go and kind of stab their you know, intrimittum into the partner and sort of leave some semen and run away.
Speaker 1: Penis fencing. How often does it happen?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Okay, I mean a lot. I mean it's right, they do it. I have some of these invertebrates do it, the slugs, but you know, I've never actually asked them.
Speaker 3: I don't know as they.
Speaker 1: Do it any sea slugs. Listening to this because I just wanted to congratulate you for the inviewable biology of having two differing sets of jennies. Although yes, my condolence is that you have to use them as weaponry. See okay, So they fight until one gets stabbed with a dick inseminates the other and it is like boo, yeah, I'm out have fun raising my babies. I'll see and help brother. Well, I guess now, wife, So if you and your human hinge date didn't have chemistry, but you didn't stand around nude trying to impale each other with your crotch, and then one of you fled without child support. I guess you're doing Okay, I don't know. When it comes to mammals. Let's get into the bone zone. Baculum, bacula, baculi. So many mammals have bones in their boners.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how about that? What do you think of that?
Speaker 2: And we don't and nobody, nobody's quite clear about why. And nobody is even quite clear about why other species that have bones have them. But can I tell you? The acronym for the taxa that do have them is primates like chimps and that kind of stuff, except us, we do not. Rodentia, so mice, rats, I kind of stuff, Insectivora, which are those little furry things to eat bugs, Carnivora like bears, dogs and so on, and Corroptera with the bats. And so you have primate, Redentia, Insectivora, Carnivora, and Corroptera. What is that spell prick? It spells prick. And then if you add in they have found now belatedly like this tiny You know what a pika is?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I love piica so much. So they occur high altitudes are so cute, and if you can get near them, you know, they throw their little hands in and go week. But they have these teeny teeny little penis bones they've discovered and they're the lagomorphs, and so if you add an L you have prickle.
Speaker 1: So oh, oh, my god, too adorable. Why do you think humans evolved not to have a penis bone? And what does the penis bone do for animals that have them?
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing is that nobody's quite sure what they're doing, Like they have all of these hypotheses about you know, what does the penis bone do? Does it keep things in place for a while, for long enough for the copulation to complete, But nobody quite knows exactly why. It is the boniest mystery around. It's such a mysterious thing, and nobody is quite sure why we lost ours. Evidently we didn't need it, because otherwise it would have been selection for it. Because God knows there's enough selection right there where the genitalia rubber hits the road as it work and it's gone so well.
Speaker 1: Speaking of God knows any history to substantiate that the rib that is given to eve of atoms is actually a baculum.
Speaker 2: You know, I had a little bit about that in the book and they had to take it occation out of word space. But yeah, it's nonsense. They apparently the heap rew ward really doesn't mean rib and it was never anything about yeh, so he took away Adam's bone from his rib, except it was the rib way down there bias testies somehow, and somebody got confused, you know, now.
Speaker 1: Ribbed for her pleasure.
Speaker 3: I suppose, I suppose.
Speaker 1: And what about culturally like or what part of the US are you from?
Speaker 3: I'm I was born in Waco, Texas.
Speaker 1: Actually I thought I detected a toy.
Speaker 3: Yes, people mention it on occasion.
Speaker 1: Allan, I love accents. I'm not sorry. I would like to do a dialectology one day, please. Regional idiosyncrasies are just very fascinating. Do you find in writing this book that you you came across a lot of different cultural relationships with the phallis domestically I mean, obviously yes, globally, But how how do people think differently of don depending on where you're raised.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good question, And I'm not an anthropologist, and so I can't speak to that with like a bunch of expertise, but I did write about a little bit in the last chapter, and is it varies so much across cultures and time you probably read they wrote some stories about this, and even some recent ones that the Greeks apparently thought it was just kind of ghost to have a giant penis, you know, and that you know, it was much more desirable to have one that was kind of small and pencil ish. And then if you ask people with the giinas who have sex with people with penises, you find out that, like, the size thing is just kind of like whoopedie doom, not the top consideration at all.
Speaker 1: Listen. Was there a twenty thirteen study called penis size interacts with body shape and height to influence male attractiveness based on photos? Do they find that one hundred and five female identifying people chose penises that were in the ninety eighth percentile for size? Sure, but also, are we usually picking partners when we have only looked at pictures and they are nude Back when clothes were hair maybe, but now usually know. Some studies have found that only twenty percent of be vagina people can achieve orgasm through penetration alone. Eighty percent can't so the clit kids is lit. Also, the vagine is a mere four to six inches long. So if you're out there and you have do anxiety, maybe you just really need a deep, deep breath. Maybe look into some positions like from behind, which are more physiologically advantageous. And some sources say you may just be a makeover away from some confidence. Yep, you just got to trim up down there. Even experts agree. Don't hide your lightsaber under a bush. Well cut banks, trim pubes. You have so much dick under that muff metaphorically and technically speaking, so let that be a lesson to all of us. Also, I really hope that you are not listening to this at work or driving carpool, But you know what, maybe I hope you are. Do you think that it's gotten more conservative and it's gotten more taboo to discuss penises openly?
Speaker 2: That is an interesting question. I think that people talk about them a lot more openly now than they did when I was young. I feel like, but again, I'm from Waco. Now I'm not there anymore, so maybe that's party why that is. I don't know, it seems like there's a lot more you know what, I kind of can almost trace this back to let's see when viagra became a thing. And I remember, you're way too young, probably not even live when this happened, but I remember when Bob Dole is a senator from Kansas and erstwhile presidential candidate, started taking it and they actually asked him about it, and Lyddy Dole's wife and she's like, thumbs up, the stuff works great.
Speaker 4: What I want to make it through.
Speaker 1: Many treatments available for ED.
Speaker 3: So my advice is get a medically check up.
Speaker 1: It's the best way to get educated about ED and what can be done to treat it.
Speaker 4: What they take of the courage. But I've always found that everything worthwhile does.
Speaker 2: It was all It was kind of a strange turning point. I feel like culturally that that was being openly discussed like that on the GOP side of the aisle.
Speaker 1: Actually viagra, that was an incidental finding from what I understand.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, they were they were looking at starting to find anything, because what it does is relaxes the blood vessels, right, and the reason openions can get engorged is if they relaxed and filled with blood. Well, they were trying out this drug. I think to see if it would relax blood vessels to reduce blood pressure, like as an anti high pretensive. But the men who were taking it were like, you know, kind of getting this direction. That's happened lasting kind of a long time. It's pretty cool. And you know dollar signs chit ching if you hear the commercial that's are like, you know, we can cure ninety nine percent of all this function. What they really mean is that it doesn't have a physiological basis, physiological in the sense that there's something you know, wrong in that area or something related to that area. And so what it kind of comes down to is, you know, you're just not you and your brain. You're not connecting anymore about like being working towards a mutual purpose here. And so there's a story which is why that viagra worse because it just is like, screw your brain, I'm just going to go cut straight through the blood vessels here and fill the sucker up. And so that's what it does.
Speaker 1: One twenty nineteen survey said that globally, up to seventy six percent of folks who have erections have had erectile dysfunction. So it happens a little bit more as you scoop past fifty. But if you had ever had an uncooperative pain fretknot, you're totally normal. According to the Mayo Clinic. Some causes of it, though, could be anger because it messes with blood flow and sends more blood to the surface of the skin. Stress can also mess with you down there. Being above a medically healthy weight can lower your testosterone and mess up your blood flow. Smoking and just straight up low self image can contribute to floppy donks. So medications can also interfere. And if so, totally talk to your doctor about it. They are literally paid to help. They have maybe had the same problem with themselves or a loved one. And if you're like I have the depress but I don't want to take the medicines for it because of weighing issues. I read a study on Harvard Health. They published an article noting that about thirty five to fifty percent of people with untreated major depression experienced some type of sexual dysfunction prior to treatment. So maybe don't blame the player the antidepressants, blame the game the clinical depress Also, I've mentioned it before on this podcast. They're not sponsors of the show, But there is a test called gene site that shows promise in terms of pairing you to an antidepressant that might work better for you, and I used it after trying three different antidepressants, and I landed on one that works much better for me. Based on those results. Your mileage may vary, but that was called gene Site. Ward to the wise, do you find that in any of your recent search that there was a myth about prolonged sex and what was desired from partners or is there like a correlation between pleasure and the longer you go, the better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a related myth. I didn't examine that myth exactly, but what I did examine was this kind of emphasis that that people seem to place on the size of a penis and that being like really crucial and super important and also being able to last a really long time, which I think is kind of you know, reaches into what reaches gets to what you're just asking. And what I found is that what women, what people who are having size with people at penises want is in these surveys, the people who are identifying as women.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 2: Is a partner who knows what they're doing, not a partner with a giant dog. Not a partner who can go forever, but a partner who knows what they're doing and also knows that the penis is not the only instrument of sexual pleasure available on the human body, and knows how to use all the other ones as well.
Speaker 1: Suggestion, get yourself a book about it. Watch some educational materials that perhaps were not filmed in a van nice motel. Now, culturally, we all have a lot to learn about the EQUATORI and if the geneasms are just too much to expect from a weness a lot of terms in this episode, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: It's not super common, and I think from what at least from the studies I saw and the results of those studies, it's also not something that people really give that much of a rip about. I think it's part of impossible masculinity that somewhere along the line, people with penises learn that, oh, you've got to make this happen with this like thrusting massive Oregon, and if you don't, you're a failure. And that's just not evidently what a lot of people who are having sex really want.
Speaker 1: Why have we tied a dick around our own brains, like what's going on.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting I trace a little bit of that in the last chapter of the Boat, because there were it looks like, at least in a want of cultures and association when we started settling down and trying to grow stuff in one place, this kind of connection between the penis and especially an erect one and I get you know, obviously the fluid that comes out of it. I think we probably made the connection that that's associated with reproduction. And so like even an early Egyptian god which called men Am i n is depicted as having he's holding a flail in one hand, which is a harvesting instrument, and he also has an instrument that is parallel to the ground, and erect penis sits parallel to the ground, and so those are that's just a clear association between those two things. The god Priapus, who's probably yeah, you know, known today for associations with priapism, which is just this like you know, endless erection, which is not comfortable by the way, it's not something that is enjoyable at first. Does a scarecrow, and so those associations I think were made in a lot of cultures and because of also the greater muscle relative Muslims and physical strength that people whose gonads make to sosterone disoscruone confers on them, then you've got well, this is fertility, it's protection, it's strength, and it's associated with this organ. Even the Romans had little amulets that the children were were that were phallus with wings was called a signum a fas ci n u m, which is where we get fascinating from, because it was supposed to distract the evil eye to the amulet and fascinate them away from the children.
Speaker 1: Of course, I look this up and yeah, it looks like a mythological griffin. But if God ran out of lion and eagle parts and had to use leftover dicks instead. And one photo I looked at for a little too long appears to be made of bronze. I think it was dug up at POMPEII. But this winged wang amulet could fit right in. Right now, I'm just saying, never goes out of style. I can see it hanging off the rear view mirror of a car belonging to a shift manager at the Tallahassee Hooters. Maybe someone who had a red bull tost at his wedding, just ready to get loose and party. Let's do it. I mean, on the topic of an homage, why do we love to draw dicks on everything?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so funny because I was just I was staying somewhere to finish my next book, which is about the brain, and it was every day I was walking out to this platform on.
Speaker 3: A lake and it was really beautiful.
Speaker 2: And one day there were a bunch of teenagers there and you're just having a great time. I love teenagers, by the way, so it's like, yeah, DearS. And the next thing went out there there was a dick that they had drawn, I think with the wide out. You know, it's ejaculating, you know, it's a little tiny, but it was there. And then the next day a goose had shat on it, and I was just like, okay, world, this is great. And then one of my sons came home yesterday with this yearbook, you know, and of course a couple of his friends. You know, inevitably there's you know, somebody's drawn a penis in ther book. You know, it's like, this is for life and joy, and in some cultures it's way more obvious than just you know, teenagers doodling something on a buy. I mean there are parts of the world where they're on houses, you know, and they're considered protective and just kind of the same associations with a physical strength and protection.
Speaker 1: I was going to put an aside here listing some examples, but they are too numerous, from Japanese shrines to Mongolian monasteries, even the Empire state building a lot of boners on buildings. Luckily for all of us, though, there is a Wikipedia page just titled phallic architecture. It's waiting for you.
Speaker 2: And so we're in our culture, I mean, say, in the Western culture, in the US culture, we hide them away and we act like they're kind of you know, salacious and oh my gosh. And the word penis is scary to say, and you know, you can trouble and things like that, and so it gives it this kind of aura of something kind of secret and funny that you can do that the adults can't see you being up to.
Speaker 3: At the time.
Speaker 1: Penis, penis, penis penis. There's kids up, kids a.
Speaker 2: Penis, and so I think it's not maybe super helpful to kind of shroud it in that kind of air of you know, this is something not to talk about or consider or to take seriously accept as to kind of excuse me, put on a pedestal and set up as kind of a replacement representation for you a young man in our culture.
Speaker 1: You mentioned a shrouded dick, and I'm wondering, how did you even approach the culture in the history behind circumcision, and when did we start to do that, and are are there any medical benefits.
Speaker 2: I did not discuss circumcision in the book, although I did talk about it, or my co author and I wrote about it a little bit in a parenting book that we wrote a few years ago. And you know, it's present in a couple of sort of very globally distributed religious practices and that started thousands of years ago in one of them. And as far as benefit goes, if you look at the eurological literature, it comes down to almost sort of happenstance benefit in a way, because, for example, children who have infantile onset urinary tract infections right, which means they've got something going on in their urinary system, they're where they're probably having your own backup into their kidneys. But what they find is that if the children are circumcised, they don't have repeat tend to have repeat urinary tract infections as much, and this kind of outcomes tend to be better. There's some research pointing to an adult men who undergo circumcision there's a reduced transmission to sex partners of certain viruses that are transmitted through them having sex with people. But again that's it almost comes from as a sort of like serendipitous, you know, benefit after the fact. It's not something you can just look at, you know, it's pretty at birth and go, well, this will protect them from this. It just a reduced risk for some of these outcomes in those cases.
Speaker 1: And doctor Willingham notes that while some sexually transmitted viruses could possibly be curbed by vaccines, like for HPV HIV, vaccines have proven much trickier and hopefully one day humans will conquer that challenge. But on the topic of non humans, there's plenty still to boggle the brain. Yeah, including like four headed pronged that's.
Speaker 3: The Acida.
Speaker 1: Dicks. What's even happening there?
Speaker 2: Well, so there's a there's a sort of a subset of phoenis is that instead of like you know, waiting for like the blow to fill it. Like they're not going to have to have viagaros, but that way because they're kind of just folded up at the ready and when the time comes, they just, you know, the muscle just goes quip punk and it plops it out like an airbag. So it's just turtles and alligant the crocodilians. I have that going on, and turtles are I think in the in the book I write about a turtle video is really something to be all. This poor turtle is extremely aroused and it has this little ball that has pawprints on it, like dog palms on It is very pissed off or either very aroused by this ball and it's like trying to I guess, mount the ball. But it's penis is flipped out and it's also the the end of the penis of a turtle. Penis is like a cup sort of or open and it opens and closes like a flower. So it's just angry, angry of the animal with its little flower opening and closing penis just attacking this little ball.
Speaker 3: It's quite a video. Human what an o face they have to like the last expression, you know, just a turbin comfortable.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you some lightning round questions from listeners? I mean, wow, the speed with which these questions came in, Wow, just very fast in coming in hot. Well, let's just say I'm just going to run through as many as we can.
Speaker 3: Is that cool? Okay? Sure?
Speaker 1: Absolutely? Bananas that we took so long to get to Patreon questions, which you could submit for future episodes, just a buck a month to join. But before we ask them, we take the chance to donate to a cause, and this week, Emily chose Doctors Without Borders, which is a non governmental organization that provides assistance to populations and distress, so they are global first responders to emergencies and epidemics. They do amazing work. So that hot cash injection was made possible by sponsors of the show. What you can hear about now? Okay, let's get back to your hardball questions. Hollis wants to know, as a penis haver, why is morning wood a thing? And is this happening with all penis havers human.
Speaker 2: And otherwise don't know about other animals? Morning when is the thing? Because it has to do with I think this hormonal changes you're sleep. I don't know about other animals, like I'm pretty sure bed bugs don't wake up that way.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Arib first time question asker it wants to know is there any scientific research around BD big dick energy. I feel like your book deals with us a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this question I like because I think that we shouldn't use that phrase. I think that people who consider themselves progressives will say, for example, small dick energy or big dick energy when a person is acting a certain way. I think that's the kind of part of the problem with how we talk about penises and what we make people with them think they need, how they need to be. I think it reduces them to this body part when you know, actually our most important body part is are brain, and the manifestations of that are so variegated and interesting and not reducible to just this kind of one phrase that way, So most men, I think tend to think that they they they under overestimate like what averages and how they relate to that, and they're often wrong about it. And so that's the whole side problem. But you know, the idea that this person's his giant try because their penis is teeny, and I kind of think that that's not the way to talk about it or approach it. The same thing if a guy's in a Starbucks with an AR fifteen and people like small duke energy this guy. You know, there are so many complicated social messages that go in to shaping somebody who does something ridiculous like that. The size of the penis has got to be way way down on that list in terms of what driving performative behaviors that they think are masculine but that are actually desperate in that way.
Speaker 1: Do you love how compassionate she is? I love how compassionate she is raising people who are comfortable with their masculine traits. Does not start out with shame, is what I'm getting. And it's good that she's getting that message out into the open like a ball sack. And on that note, first time question askers Devon Lawrence wrote in quote as a cis female, external genitalia seems like such a hassle. The amount of times men sit on themselves is crazy, And Jordan Engelkey asked, why do some creatures have their junk on the inside like birds, and some creatures keep their junk on the outside like humans. Rachel had the same question out with it.
Speaker 3: Emily.
Speaker 1: You know, we had some questions about internal and external gonads essentially, and is there anything about having external gonads that influences feelings of insecurity or feelings of protection in terms of maybe like compensatory aggression.
Speaker 2: Would I would, just its face say no, because testosterone itself is associated with aggression. So if the gonuts are external, they're very likely testes, which means they're making testosterone. So there's a confounding thing there because the actual hormone those those external go nets are producing is a hormone it's very very well known to drive aggression.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. Celia Bell and Madeline both asked questions I hadn't heard of this first time. Question Asker Madeleine said, I've recently heard that data is starting to come out about COVID patients who have a penis experiencing a reptile dysfunction significantly more. Celia Bell said, what's the deal with COVID dick? Have you heard of anything about this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually tweeted about this the other day. This is really it's not surprising. So one of the things that this virus does is that it has an effect on what's called the endothelium, which is the lining of the blood vessels. And we've already talked about the role of blood vessels and how they need to relax for a penis to become you know, erect, right, and so if you have a virus, it's like messing with those and making them dysfunctional. Well, that dysfunction is going to be body wide, it's not just going to be like one part of the body. A couple of reports about it of having had COVID and then having experiencing a rectile dysfunction. There's another study a couple of men who'd had COVID the virus was still persisting in their penis tissue a few months later. Yeah, and then there was another study that suggested that the penises were a little bit smaller, which you know, I'm thinking, well, you know what mechanism underlies that, And it could relate again to having the blood vessels being contracted. It's like that Seinfeld episode where you know, you get in the water, everything shrinks up. George stands and wants to hide it's tinted tail ear or something because it's cold.
Speaker 3: I'm really sorry.
Speaker 2: Everything just kind of goes whoop. You you're you're you're cold, and so your body if I understand it's correctly, because I'm not this is not my my sighte of physiology, but I understand its correctly. Your body shunts to the cork because you're like cold and you need to keep especially your core horm So it's like, well, you don't need blood here right now, you know, and so it sends it away because you're cold. You're not going to be having sex right now.
Speaker 3: You're too cooled.
Speaker 1: You're just like teeth chatter. Let's get these bodies.
Speaker 3: Drup seriously, but you're white. Get this man a heating pad.
Speaker 1: Uh Logan Levau had a great question. Wants to know what do they put in those bizarre tiger love type enhancement powders so you can get a gas stations and is there anything remotely legit about them? How do you feel about your hymnbe and horny goat weed and all of that.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. So first of all, don't buy that stuff. That's what's in it.
Speaker 2: I mean, so supplements in this country are completely unregulated and their contents can be not at all what it says on there. It can be too much of what it says on there, and a lot of other things, so just don't buy stuff like that. The other problem is is that a lot of things in the aphrodisia market are acquired by abuse of animals, abuse and torture of animals, and we you know, nobody needs to be doing that.
Speaker 1: So yes, as a species, let's leave the rhinos alone, let the tigers keep their decks. Donald Hayward wants to know what's the hand foot size to penis fallacy? What's with that?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Where did this idea start? Alexa don you want to know that?
Speaker 2: I looked at that, and apparently, for reasons that are unclear to me, the UK National Hill Surface also looked at this. I don't know why, and there's not an association. It probably got started because it would be a very easy shorthand or short footed way to tell what if somebody's sizes, since we're all wearing pants and you know this culture. But yeah, there's no an association.
Speaker 1: Ah, just one. And Andrew Levinson want to know. I've heard you can sprain a penis like you would an ankle or a muscle. True if so how.
Speaker 2: You can I mean, yeah, I mean there's got if you have any anything that has muscle or you know, there's a smooth muscle, but anything it has sort of like a connective tissue component and stuff like that, you can overstretch it or overdo it and experience very uncomfortable outcomes from them.
Speaker 1: Rachel Moore wants to know is the average size listed on Google? Actually the average? They feel like nearly every person they've been with has a larger than average penis. If it is, Uh, what is what is the average?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: What is the average size listed on Google? This is what I would want to know.
Speaker 1: Good question. First, Google say to five and also there's a length and a girth difference. I'm sure, yeah, six inches the in fact, the average is much more. I think they started five one to five point five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's around it's around five and a half inches and in our measurements somewhere around there. And I think a lot of people think that the average is bigger than that and it's not. And then the girth thing is another thing entirely.
Speaker 1: Have there been any studies on folks valuing girth over length?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, first of all, neither's necessarily that important compared to some other factors that are valued. But girth is is at least in a tie with length for just sort of like importance.
Speaker 1: Is there a medical term for a shode?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know either, You've gotta think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I spent two years working with urologists with a U and I honestly don't think that anybody ever like mentioned that before.
Speaker 1: There are different size receptacles for penises. Just is there a different sized penises?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Sure, I hate to say this, but when I don't really hate to see it, maybe I both hate and love to say it. When I see a certain somebody's penis being made fun of because of its shape, you know, publicly or whatever. I think, you know, we're doing this kind of as a way to target what we perceive as some kind of sensitivity in the masculinity we demand from people with penises, And it makes me feel bad.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 1: I think that's a really great point. And I also think it's really interesting how we would never make fun of or deride vulva's the way that we say that dix are ugly or balls are disgusting, you know, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that that's true, although I remember there was some one of those women who was a Hollywood madam or something, and one of the people who worked for her was described repeatedly in news stories as having a beautiful vagina, and I think what they meant was vulvas.
Speaker 1: Vulva, the outside business, vagina, the tunnel. So a beautiful vagina is really quite an exploratory observation, so they probably meant volva just for the record.
Speaker 2: And I remember thinking, well, I wonder what makes one beautiful? So I you know, you're right, we don't have like a cultural construct for you know, what's the perfect iteration of the volva?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I mean interesting. I think all dicks beautiful dicks, All volva's beautiful vulvas. There you go, got them, you got them, love them. Nikki DeMarco had a question kind of on that note. She said, the language around penis health versus women's health is very different. For example, erectile dysfunction versus ovarian supply being exhausted or failure to produce hormones. No one would say ed is penis failure. So is there an expectation of masculinity or toxic masculinity? That we're just not understanding that's looking at those things differently.
Speaker 2: I think that the expectation is is that anything that's associated with the masculine is set as the norm, and that anything that deviates from that is set as abnormal, and all like arts from the position of being less then, and then anything else that doesn't even meet that threshold of less then is a failure. And so that's why all these things associated with the health of people with ovaries and vaginas is characterized that way. I saw that in the literature about Jenny Tale as well. Anything's associated with vaginas, with women and things like that, the language around it is so very very different, or it's passive or like a receptacle for things. And the physiology and the reality both belie.
Speaker 1: That Elizabeth Rich had a question, use it or lose it? Is that fact or flim flam. Does lack of use cause penal atrophy?
Speaker 3: Not to my knowledge.
Speaker 1: So if you've got to keep your pen under a white sheet like furniture and an abandoned mansion, it's cool, just like a chaise lounge, it'll be just fine to sit on Later. Bear Hodge and Alison my Sing both had questions about penal surgery fouloplasty and are transplants a viable option? And is followplasty? Why is that hard to get right?
Speaker 2: I'm not a eurological surgeon, so I can't answer the latter part of that. I would hope that people, the clinicians who are with patients who are asking for these things, really dig into what underlies it and that there's a physical indication for it.
Speaker 3: This is so terrible.
Speaker 2: Al if you go to message boards, which I did because I was going to write about it, I just didn't have space, and look at what people with penises are doing to try to make them bigger, longer, lasts longer, and all these other things. We have a lot of work to do to sort of excuse me, but pull out away from this kind of like this this feeling of urgency that they have, that this thing just has to be so huge, because the data show that the people that're presumably interested in having sex with just they're not. That's not what they put at the top of the list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, any advice for penis havers on how to have a better relationship with theirs?
Speaker 2: I could have this conversation about any body part just about about which we're not happy, right, is that you have it and it's there, and it's doing what it can for you, and you're doing what you can with it. And that's the most either one of you can ask from each other, right, Yeah, Yeah, and understand that you have a lot of other body parts that contribute as well as the penis does to having a great time with one or more other people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great way to look at it too, Jackie Fleming. First ye question asker wants to know if you have a funny dog joke.
Speaker 3: My book is full of don jokes.
Speaker 2: There's so many, and you know, they just kind of they come to you, as it were, and you know, it's it's hard to just kick one.
Speaker 1: Got to hand it to her. So many dick ponds it's nuts now. Also, a few folks had a question my dear friend Greg Walloch, Whom's I love? And first time question asker and dong owner Cap and Glover inquired as to the rumor that they have heard gay identifying men have larger penises on average? Is this true? If so, why? And Greg notes, based on some of his own research, it seems like this might be true. Few people have asked that they have heard that gay identifying men have statistically bigger penises than straight identifying men.
Speaker 3: Is that flim flam?
Speaker 2: I sort of kind of poked around, kind of looking at that, and not in any kind of significant way that I could find. And so it's a complicated question. I know why people are asking it, but no, not on average that I could find.
Speaker 3: And I did.
Speaker 1: Look, what about the hardest part about your job.
Speaker 3: The book writing.
Speaker 1: Are in general, and as a reproductive someone who looks at reproductive biology or evolutionary reology, or or an author or a communicator or.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would say that I think the most difficult thing is kind of the pain and the empathy I feel for people who are struggling with these issues that society imposes on them, that there's just no reason for society to do that.
Speaker 3: That's actually really difficult for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so empathetic, especially since your book does deal with a lot of what we might consider notions of toxic masculinity or toxic expectations. That you have delved so deep into that and you've come out with such empathy and understanding and compassion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel really strongly. I love men and boys, and I feel really strongly that we could be doing better by them, and if that happens, then in general they can be doing better by everybody as well.
Speaker 1: Is there something about your work that's changed the way that you're resed your sons?
Speaker 2: No, because when I started this particular work, they were like kind of raised. I mean, they're adolescence one of me, it's twenty. But it certainly informs some of my conversations with them, and I think I'm being even more careful than before with language that I use around them about men and boys and expectations and that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: M hm. Any advice for parents or I think perhaps yeaheah.
Speaker 2: I think the most important thing we can do is to take care with our language and our assumptions. I know that when I see people speak to teenagers today, they will often make an assumption that teenager is assists heterosexual person, and it'll say, you know, do you have a girlfriend, do you have a boyfriend?
Speaker 3: That kind of thing.
Speaker 2: I think that we need to be careful about what we gender and what we don't and what we show is kind of a default expectation, and examine that a little more closely and try to be a little more neutral and you know, opening statements to people and that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's really great advice. That's awesome. What about something that you really cherish about your work? What do you love the most?
Speaker 2: My favorite thing about what I get to do for a living is the research, the discovery, the going down rabbit holes, the finding new things about different people, different into cultures, back and forth in history.
Speaker 3: I just love all of that so much.
Speaker 1: Any advice for anyone who loves researching and rabbit holes and maybe wants to write a book about this stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, I would say, you have to figure out when you can when you need to stop digging at some point. And I don't have good advice about that, just yeah, you've got to find a way to stop yourself from digging at some point.
Speaker 1: As someone who researches this podcast every week, it can It's like expanding foam, Like the work will take as much time as I give.
Speaker 3: It, exactly right.
Speaker 2: It's almost kind of addictive and you're like, Okay, I just spent like fifty hours chasing down this one lizard.
Speaker 3: I need to go in the literature.
Speaker 1: Someone's gotta do it. What a joy, though, oh my gosh, So ask smart people to explain the long and the short of it, because we're just a bag of gam meets. We're on this rock for the ride before we die. So follow Emily. There are links in the show notes. She's on Twitter at EJ. Willingham. Her website is Emily Willingham PhD dot com. She is the author of Fallacy, Life Lessons from the Animal Penis and the upcoming book The Tailored Brain. All of that will be listed in the show notes, and there are links up at aliward dot com, slash Ology slash Philology. We are at Ologies on Twitter and Instagram. I'm at Aliward on both. Come be Friends Patreon dot com. Slash Ologies is where you can join us a bit questions. Aaron Talbert admins Theologies podcast Facebook group Great Group of People. Shannon Felt is in Body Dutch Managed Merch and hosts the comedy podcast To You Are That. Emily White of the Wordery makes our transcripts. Caleb Patten bleeps them, and those are both up and free at the link in the show notes. Kelly Dwyer makes the website and is available for website design. Her link is at the bottom of my alley war dot com website. Noel Dilworth handles the booking of guests.
Speaker 3: And is amazing.
Speaker 1: Susan Hale has been making you quizzes on Instagram. Happy birthday to her. Jarrett Sleeper edited this week and thankfully our romantic relationship doesn't count as harassment most of the time. And of course thanks to Stephen Ray Morris who is on standby this week and is chief sweety pet. Nick Thorburn wrote the theme music and he is in a band called Islands. And if you stick around to the end of the episode, I tell you a secret. As promised, I'm gonna give you blowjob tips. I source these from Penis has from ologites anonymously. Here they are of charge. Are you ready? Okay, here we go. I'm gonna list off the advice Number one, Please no teeth. Also, don't forget the berries. Grab the sack with a spare hand where they connect to the peen, gently roll them. Only do it if you want to and enjoy it. Make an okay sign with your fingers. Gently grasp under the head. Fingers go down loose but uptight. Good to know. Stick your tongue out on the way down. Wiggle it good suction on the way up. Practice controlling your gag reflex, focus on breath and rhythm. Don't focus too much on the head. It gets no good to know. Don't neglect the bulls.
Speaker 3: And enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Mostly it sounds like you should just enjoy it. The other bonus secret is I'm very good at drawing dicks all over stuff all the time. I've drawn so many dicks on so many things, right, Sharrett, It's definitely true.
Speaker 4: I have this beautiful thing this online.
Speaker 1: I drew a picture of a dick for Jared years ago, and it's the only thing that he has on his wall behind his desk. It says good morning, chair and Jess okay, bye bye bye.
Speaker 4: Pacodermatology, hombiology or no zoology, lithology, zechonology, meteorology, pedatology, ethology, zeriologyology.
Speaker 2: And I had to have a penis reduction surgery.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, penis reduction, which there aren't many.
Speaker 3: You're gonna say, I've never heard of that because there haven't been many cases.
Speaker 2: Do something, And he said, why do you get one of those vagina in large?
Speaker 3: It's Zarah can have some coffee over here,