Speaker 1: Welcome back to this Nightcap seven hundred WLW and joining us after quite a lengthy period of time, because frankly, he's got a lot of things that are more pressing than talking to me. Is our old friend Kevin Wade. And if you missed the interviews before, you can always check the podcast file at seven hundred WLW dot com under the nightcap heading. But when I first had the opportunity to interview this guy the first time around, I was so jazzed because he was pitching a new book and I knew nothing of the book until we talked. And I was even more jazzed after the fact. But jazz because this guy was a showrunner, executive producer at some points, and writer of my favor Bridge Network television show Blue Bloods. His name is Kevin Wade, and he was on of course, pitching the fact that he had a brand new book that he had noveled, that he'd written, called Johnny Careless. And I've just had such a wonderful conversation that I that I bothered him again a few months later, and now I'm bothering him again. In the summer of twenty twenty five, Kevin Wade welcome back to the show.
Speaker 2: How are you, sir, I'm good.
Speaker 3: Thanks, it's nice to be back with he carried Jeff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had such a great time.
Speaker 1: The first couple of times, I thought, you know, this is fantastic content. And even if nobody else cares, I care because of your connection with this marvelous ensemble TV show that had now sadly no longer producing new episodes after fourteen years. So you are I understand, as you told me when I when I called Kevin, he said, well, thanks, I'm just I'm just sitting here pretending to work anyway. I got nothing better to do today to talk to you. You're working on a sequel the second chapter what you hope and plan to be a series of Johnny Careless books. And let's set the stage for people who don't remember or did not get a copy of Johnny Careless. And by the way, shame on them for that. Johnny Carreless, go ahead, you.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, You're doing great man.
Speaker 4: Okay, great.
Speaker 1: Johnny Careless is a character who is in fact that Careless. In fact, Johnny Careless dies at the beginning of the book entitled Johnny Careless. The titular character is is not around for the rest of the night, but he sets the stage for this local police chief to solve not only his murder, but ensuing murders. And how am I doing so far?
Speaker 3: Very good?
Speaker 5: Very good.
Speaker 3: So the story, the one I'm writing, as well as the first one Johnny Careless, are told in the present and in the past in kind of relative sort of alternating chapters, so that hopefully if somebody dies on page two, which he does in Johnny Careless, you get to know him and his relationship with Jeep Mulane, the local cop who is the hero of these stories, and so that you, hopefully the reader's experiences by the end they care that this guy passed away. They couldn't have known on page two what they know on page two hundred and forty, and so hopefully it becomes what they call in the movie business and television business, a character driven mystery, were you're less about the thrills and chills in edge of your seat as to whether or not they'll get out of the building before it blows up, but more about, Oh, I understand the relationship with those two and why it ended up where it did, and I care about it. It's kind of designed along those lines.
Speaker 1: Another fine example of what you're talking about that kind of storytelling is one of my favorite movies, It's a Wonderful Life, where George Bailey all of a sudden is taking his life or trying to commit suicide because he's eight thousand dollars short at the building and loan, and then the Angels are called in Clarence. The angel second Classes call in to save George Bailey's life by showing him what it would be like Heddy'd never been born, and it goes through the boyhood and everything that led up to that crucial point in the movie. It's it's like that, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and it's hopefully well used in a good way. Sunset Boulevard, Billy Wilder. You know, it starts with William Holden face down dead in the swimming pool. We don't know who his character is, we don't know anything, and then we you know, it unravels. So you're trying to solve a mystery. It involves the audience or the reader, and that you're trying to solve the mystery of what you were introduced to the character.
Speaker 2: With and how did he get there? Excellent, So that's really the essential mystery of.
Speaker 4: It, looking forward to it.
Speaker 1: And this police chief who becomes a police chief, right Kevin.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's the local chief of police. He grew up in the area.
Speaker 3: The novels are set on the north shore of Long Island, which most people don't know what that means. They know what Long Island is, and they know what the Hamptons are, But the north shore of Long Island, which is about thirty miles northeast New York City, is familiar to some people as the Gold Coast and to some readers as East Egg and West Egg where f Scott Fitzgerald set The Great Gatsby all those years ago. So there's a kind of upstairs downstairs quality too. There's haves and have nots and upstairs downstairs. And Jeep Mulane is a kid who grew up in one of the villages and was the son of a cop, went into the NYPD in his father's footsteps and bounced out after a traumatic case and became the police chief. And the villages where he grew up.
Speaker 1: Before you got involved in television i e. Blue Bloods and movie business, you were, among other things, a bartender and we talked to but that was another point of commonality for you and I because I also still bartend on the side, because, as we all know, w l W stands for World's Lowest Wages. Unless you're Bill cunning Hammer or somebody like that, you know, I'm not making Howard Stern money. I don't think I don't think we'll see Howard Stern tending bar at the local pub anytime soon, since he's become such an idea in a rec lea event.
Speaker 2: Yeah, only for charity, right maybe?
Speaker 1: But anyway, what what was? Uh, let's let's talk about some bartending things that we'll have in common that you will know about from your time as a bar keep before you started in television. What was the what was the worst person you ever had to cut off or throw out of the bar or had a bouncer do it or whatever? What was there? There was one thing that you run.
Speaker 3: I worked at the other end, and which was the Bitter End, a famous music bar, saloon and live music venue on Bleeker Street in the village in the late nineteen seven. Okay, the mixed crowd of music fans, local cops and detectives, chorists and kind of bad guys you know, guys who had nothing better to do but go in order a drink and try to flee before they paid for it.
Speaker 2: And once I chased the.
Speaker 3: Guy out of the bar and I got him along with my along with my bartending partner, we got him against the rail outside on the sidewalk, and that rail had a plexiglass piece on it. I don't remember exactly why, but we had him. We were waiting for the cops and I heard this clicking, and what is the clicking? It got louder and I looked down and the guy had a switchblade out and he was trying to stab me in the leg. And it was too drunk to realize that the railing looked transparent, but it was in fact protected by plexiglass. I remember him well, I.
Speaker 1: Don't remember no, and names are not necessary. And there are probably one or two incidences similar to that. In one particular occasion, a guy actually had a loaded gun firearm, and his friends made him think better of, you know, using that. Thank God, you know, I can only thank the Almighty for protecting me in that particular situation. You know, since you're not supposed to bring weapons or firearms into a place that serves alcohol like people.
Speaker 2: Really, No, you're not.
Speaker 3: You're allowed to have a version of a night stick or a sowd Off baseball bat behind the bar. Yes, it was the late seventies in New York. It was blackout, it was the Bronx is Burning and Son of Sam and that kind of that informed a lot of the vibe in the night life in the city, no.
Speaker 1: Doubt, exciting but somewhat dangerous. Thank god, Thank god you weren't Kevin Careless.
Speaker 3: Thank you for that nice plug.
Speaker 2: Gary.
Speaker 4: We squeaze them in when we can.
Speaker 2: Kevin.
Speaker 1: Uh So, how far along are you in this process of writing book number two?
Speaker 3: Uh? I finished the draft. I showed it to the agent and publisher. They had lots of notes. So I'm doing a second draft, which is if you're a if you're a professional writer. There was a great piece of advice from Ernest Hemingway that he said, paraphrasing, the first draft of anything is blank, deep, and it's only when you start to write it for the reader or the audience and you're not getting the kick out of it anymore. They're getting all the kick. That's when you know, hopefully you're doing it right. So it's an interesting process.
Speaker 2: It's homework, Yeah, have a lot of homework.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 1: So, speaking of being a professional writer, which you are, when you were writing for Blue Bloods for example, yep, did you purposely and did the writers on that show purposely?
Speaker 4: And it seems like an obvious answer.
Speaker 1: But include stuff that was going on in the culture in America at the particular time that a certain show would be shot, like stuff in the headlines, and you kind of adapt that to make it more real, more gritty, and more up with what was going on in that particular time, and you know, like the resistance against the police, for example, and a lash back.
Speaker 4: You know, I love that.
Speaker 1: That's one of the bazillion things that I love about Blue Bloods is that it reflects the culture and news at the time. Was it always purposeful or did it just blend in with the story that you already had to tell.
Speaker 3: I'm going to compliment you on that question.
Speaker 2: It's very well put.
Speaker 3: And it's really germane to how we tried to do Blue Bloods for all those years. It was fourteen years of it. There were things going on. We started in twenty ten and ended in December of twenty twenty four, so there was a lot of changes. There were administrations, there were movements me too, George Floyd defund the police, all of that stuff, and I think we found early on it wasn't codified, but we thought we had a sense of the audience that they did not want to be preached to. This was a show that was on network television at ten o'clock on Friday night, and you were coming home and you were hoping for maybe some action, some mystery, and some really involving characters involved in dangerous or mysterious situations. The last thing I think, I think the audience wanted was to be told what way to think that these guys are bad and these guys are good, that.
Speaker 2: This thing, you know.
Speaker 3: So we didn't rip things from the headlines, but we would take issues that were in front of the audience and we're going to be in front of them again when the show ended, in the eleven o'clock news came on, and we would try to The way I put it is, if we had a soapbox for one side to stand up and tell why their side was the right and virtuous one, you had to construct a soapbox of equal size for the other side. And I think that became part of a sort of secret sauce of the show was that people could watch it not feel like it was ignoring what was going around them on around them every day, but kind of watch these main characters try to synthesize, digest and make their own decisions about an issue. So that's a long way of answering your very good.
Speaker 4: Question and an excellent answer.
Speaker 1: Tom Selleck the lead character Frank Reagan, he has been known throughout his career and very vocal about Second Amendment rights and stuff like that. Very conservative. With a large cast like that, people had to probably be of all political stripes and leanings. Did that ever, were they able to just drop those feelings at the doorstep at the studio and leave them aside, Because this is a big problem in this country right now, Kevin, as you know, is the fact that people are on one side or the other judge the other person because they have a different view of things as evil or ridiculously stupid. So I'm sure there were people who were not as conservative as Tom on the set, but yet they left those behind the second it was time to go to work.
Speaker 2: Right, That's exactly right.
Speaker 3: They were playing characters they weren't playing themselves.
Speaker 2: The opinions, the.
Speaker 3: Emotions, the values that were being portrayed were fictional characters, and their values and their opinions were written by the writers. So there's a pretty clear line. And now that being said, we were writing for individual actors. We knew them, We were writing for them for fourteen years, so there were things that we would not soft pedal, but we would make sure that whatever was going to come out of that character's mouth was something that that actor could get behind as that character. So it becomes a real blend of eh fact and fiction.
Speaker 4: You know, that's the and it comes across.
Speaker 1: It comes across is so believable and so real, and you can hear when lines are delivered, you can hear and believe that that character and that actor would say those things that way. And I think that's one of the great talents of the writing of a great show. You are also a show runner. And by the way, every time we watch a Blue Blood's rerun and the credits come up at the beginning or the end and we see executive producer Kevin Wade, my wife will go, there's your buddy. As a show runner, though, and I've known people who worked as production assistants or you know, in an associate producer role, and it could be something as benign or small as getting donuts. But I mean, you probably wore a lot of hats when you were a quote showrunner for Blue Bloods, didn't you?
Speaker 3: I did. Showrunner is actually a made up term. It started coming around in the nineties, I think from people writing in newspapers and magazines about television. There is no writer's guild title or pay scale.
Speaker 2: That's called showrunner. And you will never.
Speaker 3: See a credit rolling on your favorite TV show that says showrunner. It's always executive producer occasionally in conjunction with created by.
Speaker 2: But the showrunner in a.
Speaker 3: Modern television whether it's broadcast or streaming, is first and foremost the head writer. He is or she are also the ambassador from the writer's room to the cast to make sure that all those things that we just talked about.
Speaker 2: About how we're writing.
Speaker 3: Your character are in some line up with that actor's idea of what his character was like, would say, would do in a given situation. You're involved in casting, editing a little bit of budget just because you have a pretty fixed number for each episode, so you have to do give and take there. So there's your chief cook and bottle washer, your backseat driver. First and foremost, you're the head writer and hopefully the person that shapes the show to week to make sure that there's a consistency of voice and character and style.
Speaker 1: Well, you certainly accomplished that in spades. The entire staff at Blue Bloods and again are time's too short and we're out of it, which really kind of kind of hacks me off.
Speaker 3: But well, you know, I'm literally just trying to write another draft of a book and doing a lot of staring out the window. So anytime you feel like distracting.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, yeah, this deserves probably about another five hours of conversation. Kevin Wade working on this sequel to Johnny Careless and taking time out to talk to me, And I am so grateful.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Kevin, Thanks man, you got take care.
Speaker 4: There is more nightcap ahead. It is Monday Nightcap.
Speaker 1: I am pleased to welcome in for the first time in gosh a couple of years. I think Janice Heisel, who was a reporter for the Epoch Times. If you're not familiar with that, it is a straight down the middle news feed and Janice does extensive researched, behind the scenes reporting on political and cultural events all across the country.
Speaker 4: So it's such.
Speaker 1: I know Mike Allen features here on a more or less semi regular basis on Saturday mornings, but I'm proud and anxious to have no being anxious for nothing. But I am very, very happy to have her on this Monday nightcap. Janis Heisel, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm doing great. Wow, what a nice introduction. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I think the first time we ever talked, you had a book out, and what was that book titled? Just remind me because of my fault, it was called Submerged.
Speaker 7: Bryan Widmer has drowned bride and the justice system. And believe it or not, Gosh, that case happened back in two thousand and eight, so it's been quite.
Speaker 6: A while now, and Ryan Widmer.
Speaker 7: Is actually getting ready to have his first chance at parole coming up next month.
Speaker 4: How about that.
Speaker 1: It was fascinating reporting and in depth look at that particular case, which of course there was a mistrial and then they tried him again and finally convicted him of those charges. But Janis, let's fast forward to today.
Speaker 4: This past weekend.
Speaker 1: That saw Saturday Flag Day, the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of our US Army. And by the way, I don't know if you saw the parade in Washington, d C amidst all the noise of the anti ice protest across the country, but it was phenomenal. And to be honest with you, as someone who believes that this country should celebrate an entity that has protected us for two hundred and fifty years and defends us on a daily basis, and to celebrate the American Flag, which was commissioned two years after the Army was created by the Continental Congress, and President Trump's birthday, I just focused on that on Saturday. I didn't I try, I purposely try to ignore the rest of the noise about the anti Trump, anti ice protests.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 7: I actually did catch that on television d parade, and it made me wish that I had been there because those everything just I was very fascinated to see.
Speaker 6: For example, did you check.
Speaker 7: Out those robot dogs with the USR flag on it.
Speaker 6: I mean, it was just.
Speaker 7: Kind of like they were showing all of the you know, throughout history, you start with the you know, revolutionary war uniforms up to the present. In the eye, you've got this high tech stuff like these robot dogs, which kind of blew my mind. Actually laughed out loud and I saw the robot dog. But yeah, it was really it was very good to see. Also from the standpoint that you had the commander in chief repeatedly standing and saluting. I believe they didn't show them all the time when the broadcast I was watching, but it appeared he was saluting. Like every new unit that showed up, he stood and saluted, and a lot of other people up there on the dais with him, you know, remained seated that he stood and saluted.
Speaker 1: You know, the the alphabet networks what we call the mainstream media, and you know, the usual suspects CBSCNN, certainly not the Epoch Times mentioned over two hundred times the phrase peaceful protests as cars are being burned, as rocks and cinder blocks and pieces of curb concrete are being thrown at ice officers and the police in Los Angeles, for example, and that they're calling them peaceful, like two hundred times, as if they were trying to push that narrative. And this happens so often with a lot of news outlets that are supposed to be journalists. You're a journalist. You don't take sides, you just report what actually is going on. Did you see a lot of peaceful protests, especially at the inception of the Los Angeles riots.
Speaker 7: Well, we do have staff out there in LA on the ground. I haven't been there since I'm here in Ohio, but I have been assisting with that coverage from a distance, and you know, I was afraid for their safety based on some of the things they were telling me. And you know, just additional reports that we've all seen. If you've paid any attention at all, you know that media people with a lot more wearing helmets and being you know, pushed back. The police are telling them, hey, for your safety, you got to come over here. So that whole situation, you know, it's very interesting to see what is happening behind the scenes that is fueling these protests. Very interestingly. Originally it was stated as oh, it's just against ice, but the raids that happened on June the sixth, Friday, a little more than a week ago, it feels like a month ago. There's been so much happening, but that June sixth raid didn't involve just ice. In fact, involved like I believe four or maybe five different federal agencies. And they weren't just in you know, going after illegal immigants. They were going to ask to people who had criminal records and or may have been involved in a money laundering operation that also allegedly involved like tax evasion and things like that. So, you know, I don't know if it was a purposeful mischaracterization of it just in the heat of initial reports, or if there was like an agenda, or maybe the the people funding these protests are trying to push the anti immigration, anti immigration law enforcement agenda.
Speaker 6: I mean, I really don't know at this point, but I can.
Speaker 7: Tell you that, you know, there has been a lot of concern rays about who has been bankrolling these people. Don't just show up, you know, with these expensive masks. These are high tech, quote bionic masks that they were wearing.
Speaker 6: And if you are intending.
Speaker 7: To do a peaceful protest, is that a piece of equipment you would really want to bring or need to bring.
Speaker 1: Or the shields or yeah, any thing else that these protesters were provided that There was video I saw of a pickup truck delivering signs and masks, and of course there were piles of bricks that were just wow, how did those show up there on the streets of LA in front of federal buildings, in front of federal troops. And as I always say, protest is permitted in this country as long as there's not criminal activity going on in association with those protests, like say, for example, attacking police officers and ice assaulting them, setting vehicles on fire, threatening federal buildings and the like. That's not First Amendment protected as far as my reading of the Constitution goes. I don't know about you or anyone else, what well.
Speaker 7: The amount of fireworks that have been lobbed at the police there alone, it just makes you worry for their safety.
Speaker 6: I'm surprised we haven't had.
Speaker 7: You know, more reports of you know, god forbid, you know, any a police officers being really really badly hurt or killed, especially there.
Speaker 6: I remember there was some footage.
Speaker 7: Again I didn't cover this, some of this, but there was a tall building that where people were standing up there and the officers were training there uh quote unquote less lethal or less stand lethal force like rubber bullets or whatever up there, because if you throw a concrete block from way way up high and you hit an officer in the head, even if it's h or maybe even.
Speaker 6: You know, a spectator.
Speaker 7: You know, that's obviously a very, very dangerous situation. And the whole thing has been very The word I would like to use is volatile.
Speaker 1: Yes, And Jennie, you remember the case locally perhaps where eight Cincinnati police officers had surrounded a subject to a threatening people with a brick and he was mentally disturbed. But the ultimate determination in the validity of them taking that suspect down and eventually sadly killing him was that it was determined that, yes, a brick can be a lethal weapon.
Speaker 4: You remember that story, don't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah? I do.
Speaker 6: Oh, actually that was quite a few years ago, but yes, I do remember that.
Speaker 7: And we had a lot of protests and riots and things happening in Cincinnati too.
Speaker 4: It's a dangerous sign absolutely.
Speaker 1: The story that took all the oxygen out of that, I think was the dreadful story out of Minnesota where some lawmakers were murdered and others attempted to be murdered by a deranged guy who was now in custody. This is a story you're working on for the Epoch Times do out tomorrow. Tell me what you know and what you think you know about this story so far.
Speaker 7: So, this guy named Vance Luther Bolter apparently surrendered by crawling.
Speaker 6: I don't know the details on that yet, but.
Speaker 7: Crawling to the police to surrender after a manhunt of like a couple of days, and this was actually on his own property. So very there's a lot of information that we're still trying to pull together and verify. We're seeing a lot of reports out there that, you know, we believe in independently verifying using official sources such as court records, speaking to the police, getting court records, not just rely on what other media say. The only exception would be say that President Trump gives an interview on TV, then you know, if he's actually directly speaking or something like that, is speaking or they give news conference, will use the video comments. But we do our own independent research. So I'm very very proud of that because I think a lot of media outlets just borrow what ends up being incorrect information from other media.
Speaker 6: We tried very hard.
Speaker 7: So with that said, there's some very interesting background things about this guy. He actually had a security company in recent years. But there's a lot of question about, you know, whether this security company was really really operational or what.
Speaker 6: Was going on. And I'm sure many.
Speaker 7: If people have already heard that this person is accused of showing up at these Democrat lawmakers homes, opening fire, and having on a mask and a police uniform, like impersonating police officer, but with a mask on. So it's a really strange situation. I have seen reports that. Again I'm trying to verify all of this. This is all developing just this morning. I know that there were things such as the people who were targeted, at least one of them, voted to deny healthcare benefits to illegal immigrants, and there was some suspicion that maybe this was motivated by resistance to that. But I've also seen other suspicions that perhaps there was a a an anti abortion or pro life component to this.
Speaker 6: So a lot is still being.
Speaker 7: Really i guess verified at this point about this.
Speaker 6: This gentleman.
Speaker 7: He was appointed by the Governor of Minnesota, Tim Waltz to serve on a commission. He actually was originally appointed in twenty sixteen by the former governor Mark Dathan to serve on the Governor's Workforce Development Board, and so again he has some important political connections there as well. So we'll have to see, you know, what all comes out. You know, obviously the investigation is still underway. The arrest just happened. You know, he was supposed to be in court for you know, murder charge just because of Unfortunately, the one lawmaker and her husband did die from the gun shot wounds that they suffered, God bless and you know, the other two lawmaker lawmaker and spouse also were injured at a different address, I think in the.
Speaker 6: Same general area. So just a lot going on there, and that was you know, this.
Speaker 7: All came out the morning of the quote unquote no King's protests and also of the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the army as you pointed out, So all of this, this shooting and everything happened there in Minnesota that same day. So a lot going on on Saturday, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and real quickly, I've got about three minutes left sadly for our conversation tonight.
Speaker 4: Janis Heisel.
Speaker 1: There was a report, extensive report you did for the Epoch Times about the safety of the airline industry in general. And you discovered some pretty frightening things, frightening details about what's going on that a lot of travelers may not know about.
Speaker 7: Well, yes, yes, actually I originally reported on some of this back in twenty twenty two, and in a rare instance where we actually digits anonymous sources, that we had some people on the record, including a federal whistleblower, a pilot.
Speaker 6: Who went on the record.
Speaker 7: She would not say which airline she works for, and we respected that, but used her name and everything describing her concerns about.
Speaker 6: The qualifications of people. It's not to say.
Speaker 7: They're completely unqualified necessarily, but people were describing to us situations in which someone who happens to be in a minority group, or perhaps a female or another group that they're trying to quote unquote promote with diversity, are being given for chances that other people would not now. I opened my story with an anecdote from a female airline captain who told me that a routine flight to Denver changed her view of aviation safety. But it wasn't because of in slight crisis. What happened was, for the first time in her decades long career, she heard a conversation. She had a conversation with a flight instructor who told her about all these steps that management took to salvage the career of a young female trainee.
Speaker 6: And this particular trainee.
Speaker 7: Failed the most basic pilot training test, repeatedly crashing a computer simulation flight. And this, from what I understand, it proved that this particular trainee did not know how to operate an airplane's three most basic control mechanisms. And that's just basic, basic stuff. And this was a direct quote. This pilot told me that the trainee was quote rehabilitated and allowed to continue even though she should have been washed out.
Speaker 6: Wow, And the.
Speaker 7: Pilot said, I don't care if you're a man or a woman. That is concerning to me. And this particular pilot was hired years ago before all this DEI initiative diversity equity inclusion initiatives took hold trying to promote people, and she and many other people I talked to.
Speaker 6: I talked to more than a dozen sources for this story, and no.
Speaker 7: One is sitting there going, oh, we don't want women to be policed, we don't want minorities.
Speaker 6: To be policed. But what they don't.
Speaker 7: They definitely don't want is to see any standards reduced or people given extra chances just because they happened to be fitting one of those checks of boxes categories. The same female pilot that I talked to also told me that they after the trainees finished that initial training in the simulator, they go on the actual airplane under the guidance of an experienced pilot, and some of these training pilots have reported that the students are now taking four times as long to finish a mandatory training.
Speaker 4: Janis Heizel, Janis Sizel.
Speaker 1: That's simply terrifying for anybody's going to be thirty thousand feet in the air going five hundred miles an hour anytime soon, something to consider at least. Thank you for all of your great reporting. The Epoch Times is the place where you can find Janis Heizel, and she'll have new information as much as she can glean tomorrow morning on the Epoch Times on the terrible murders in Minnesota with the suspect under arrest now and facing court. And when you get more information, we'll get more information from you. Thank God. The Epoch Times is there in a world of a lot of biased news sources and just one real quick thing before we go.
Speaker 4: Janis.
Speaker 1: My other favorite news feed besides the Epoch Times is the Babbel on b which of course is a political satire site.
Speaker 4: And here's today's headline.
Speaker 1: Trump is a king, say people freely protesting in a free country probably wouldn't wouldn't happen in a kingdom?
Speaker 4: Probably?
Speaker 1: Janis thank you, have a good night, and we'll look for your latest piece tomorrow morning.
Speaker 6: Thanks so much, I joy, thank.
Speaker 4: You, you got it.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's much more ahead, including fur Ball and the wild Man coming up next hour Sports for the out of Sorts on the Nightcap on seven hundred WL our height.
Speaker 4: As we roll.
Speaker 1: In to another hour of the Nightcap, Sports and more for the out of Sorts.
Speaker 4: And when I think of out.
Speaker 1: Of sorts, I think of this next guest, my friend Andy Furman, because he gets a little worked up sometimes and not always about sports. And I mean he's he has got a multi colored palette. He is all over the place, and sometimes he gets a little bit worked up about things. And that's why I love to talk to the fur Ball. And we're gonna do it right now without any further delay. The one, the only Andy Furman. Good evening, sir.
Speaker 5: Good evening. You know, I appreciate that. And sometimes when I get worked up, I'm somewhat correct.
Speaker 2: You have to admit that. Put a little addendum on it. Yes, And other times someplace else.
Speaker 1: And other times when you get worked up, people go, my god, he's got the weirdest takes in the world.
Speaker 4: I said, I know.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you a question before we get involved, before I get the steamroller rolling here.
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: Is it a tendency that when you get a little older, you get a little more worked up, maybe because you don't care what you say. Just let it all out.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely, believe me. Believe me, I got I got very few filters left. In fact, that it's a danger to put me on the air anymore, because you never know when I'm going to go off, and you know, start firing cannons at people.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Well, let me get started right now, because I want to put an APV out there all points please. Has anybody seen a Tad Puravle? Hello, mayor Paravle?
Speaker 2: Where are you?
Speaker 5: You could come out of hiding right now? Really, you really can, I get it. You're afraid to go downtown. You're afraid of going to fill me mark.
Speaker 8: You know why, You're.
Speaker 5: Afraid to get shot. That's why. Will you please clean up this downtown city?
Speaker 2: Please?
Speaker 5: You know what, they shouldn't have a march on King's Ear. They should have a march on city Hall. That's what they should get in there, do your job, roll up your sleeves and clean up the city. I got a couple of ideas how you could do it, but I want your take on it. Downtown, you got business people suffering because people are fearful are going downtown over the rhine, wherever it may be, to have dinner, or to go to a show, wherever it may be, maybe even a ballgame, maybe even a ballgame.
Speaker 1: Really, but it's too pronged in my opinion. Number one is there is a great, great just concertment in many neighborhoods with police. And it's not because of the police. It's because it's been bred a lot by the media telling people, you know, here we have this guy, this this nut job in Minnesota who's dressed as a police officer who knocks on somebody's door and then just sprays him with bullets, killing two lawmakers there. He's in custody now and and severely critically injuring two more who were still hanging onto life as we speak, Andy, And he was dressed as a police officer, So I mean.
Speaker 5: I don't want to keep it right here. Well, he thought that Lunatico had the ankle bracelet on his leg and cut it off, and he was arrested once and he went back to stiff. Someone stiffed the weightlifter at the chimp and over the rhine in his home.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable. Well, okay, here's the second prong of it. Besides the disenchantment of the police in some neighborhoods, and people won't even talk to the police when a shooting or a crime happens. When you have these these prosecutors and these judges who are letting this guy, the one you just mentioned, back out of jail when he's an obvious animal and should be locked in a cage for the rest of his life because he is beyond rehabilitation, and this revolving door of the justice system. Did you know, Andy, that eighty seven percent the last statistics I saw, eighty seven percent of violent crimes are recidibus crimes in other words, it's the same people over and over and over break in because you soft on.
Speaker 5: Crimes, doing their job, but they get no supportive backup to do their job.
Speaker 2: You've got to do it correct.
Speaker 1: You've got soft on crime, limp risted prosecutors and judges who are letting the animals out of their cages.
Speaker 4: And they just returned to their.
Speaker 5: Say the liberal judges, and they say, give me the chance, you know, they need to go out.
Speaker 4: That's a component. That's a component.
Speaker 1: And part of it too, is this left think that has invaded our criminal justice system that says, you know, it's not their fault, it's society's fault. Because they check a box, they belong in this category, or they're this person or that person simply because of race or skin color or whatever, or the way they you know, the neighborhood they come from.
Speaker 4: It's not really their fault, it's our fault.
Speaker 1: So we have to live with these animals on our streets, these criminals who commit crimes over and over and over and over again and are still out amongst us in society.
Speaker 5: Okay, So what I heard today and I was listening this morning to discuss Sloan and his guest was saying that they want to have a thirty additional cops on the street. All right, sounds good. Ain't gonna work. And let me tell you why it's not going to work. If the cops don't get support from judges or anybody else, or from the city or from the mayor, ain't gonna work. But I got the plan. I got that. As ridiculous as it may sound. You and you you hit it on the head when you introduce me the fact that I do say things that may be off the cuff, But I think this works.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: I need to get the mayor, his whole crew and everybody else who's involved in the city here, which is going down the cropper to sit in the room and watch this movie with al Pacino and the name.
Speaker 8: Of the movie with Curproco.
Speaker 5: Why don't I say that?
Speaker 2: Remember the story New York City?
Speaker 5: Oh right, Curproco was a New York City cop who went undercover. And the point of the matter is this, if I go to u DF, there's a good chance I'm not gonna steal a bag of chips if there's a competent door. And if I go to u DF and I see no one in the store. So maybe one guy in the back wearing a dirty T shirt, I may put that bag of chips in my pocket. However, he might be an undercover cop. There's a better chance of catching the no good Nicks with undercover cops. That's what you need. When the cops here in uniform. The bad guys don't show up, they go somewhere else, you idiot, That's what they do. So sit in the room. What's what he did to New York City? And he cleaned it up, That's what he did.
Speaker 4: The no good Knicks.
Speaker 1: I thought I thought they were just I just thought they were the Knicks who fired their coach after getting to the NBA Conference first.
Speaker 5: Seven years, take them to the Eastern Finals after twenty five years.
Speaker 9: That's a joke. That's a story for another day. Yeah, the no good Knicks. I love that term. Uh so, Yeah, I mean Surperco is a fine example. You know, the Cincinnati Police Department does have undercover police officers. I know, well, I mean yeah, but what it also tells me, what's your illustration? Your example of you going into UDF to steal a bag of potato chips and you wouldn't do if there was a cop.
Speaker 4: There is that living inside.
Speaker 1: Andy Furman is a petty thief who's looking for the next opportunity to steal a bag of potato chips from NBA.
Speaker 5: If I'm going to rob something, I'm going bigger than ships, all right, I mean come on.
Speaker 4: What okay?
Speaker 2: Where do you give me some credit? There?
Speaker 1: Where do you where are you getting? Where do you draw the line at? What's too small of something to be stolen?
Speaker 5: Where if you want to go for something big? Maybe a tank of gas at u DF. You know what I'm saying, you know, and I got the way to do it too. You drive in, you do the self service, and you put a towel over your license plate and drive away.
Speaker 1: Well, most pumps won't operate unless you put a credit card in Andy.
Speaker 5: Not really, not really now really, you go inside and you tell them how many gallons you want, and that's you know, when.
Speaker 4: They're paying them.
Speaker 2: Done that. I've never done it.
Speaker 4: That was it, that was possible?
Speaker 1: And uh you know maybe twenty years ago before people got hiped to your tricks.
Speaker 2: Mister.
Speaker 4: Uh so what about would you?
Speaker 9: I just thought about would you, for example, you have security?
Speaker 5: You got straight I'm an honest. Per First, let me tell you this. Anybody in this day and age wants to rob somebody, pull them up, stick them up, go to a house. And you gotta be out of your freaking mind or drugged up, or you probably are because this cameras everywhere everywhere, parking lots everywhere. I mean, come on, really, how stupid could you be? But you know, obviously they're drugged up, and I think that's what They're desperate and drugged up, that's why they do it.
Speaker 1: Or maybe they're looking for maybe they're looking for three hots and a cot in the County Detention Center.
Speaker 2: Listen, and I gotta move on.
Speaker 10: I know, I be down.
Speaker 5: I't I want to be soft people, because there was some good news at the point right.
Speaker 1: Right, and we're gonna we're gonna get to that after this break. Okay, can you be very much Andy Furman with us this half hour of the Nightcap with information that you need to know, especially if you're aft tab pure vall watch surper watch, surpercoat.
Speaker 4: All right, Hold on, Andy last left, Andy Furrman.
Speaker 1: He was stealing bags and potato chips from the UDF and encouraging mayor to watch Cuproco along with the rest of city council.
Speaker 5: And so now we can watch Cyproco and with the biggest tips in the sandel give them that.
Speaker 4: You stole from a UDF. All right, let's get wish you and go down that road.
Speaker 1: Andy Furman also works public relations for a fantastic organization in northern Kentucky called the Point Arc And there was big news that you wanted to.
Speaker 2: Remind last Thursday.
Speaker 5: They turned over the ground.
Speaker 8: They turned over the dirty.
Speaker 5: Sixty one to twenty five first financial drive in Burlington last week last Thursday to be Execututy Girding was there, the president and founder of the Point doc fifty three years ago. It's an advanced care home, the first such in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. And why an advanced care home, I'll tell you because individuals a living longer right now. The medical leeds are more involved. And obviously Judy even said that they didn't want to surrender to nursing homes. We want to keep the family unit intact. So what is this going to be. It's going to be done in the spring of twenty twenty six, hopefully six bedroom in one additional bedroom for someone who wants to spend a night there, maybe a caregiver or a parent, And it's going to be their twenty four to seven operation about six thousand square feet and it's going to be available and obviously built to service those people with individual physical handicaps and needs. Okay, and that's what they're going to have. The accessories will be a higher roof, why the doorways, why the hallways, over head lifts. It's going to be wonderful and obviously, as I said before, it's going to be the first ever in the Commonwealth of Kentucky advance care.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's fantastic. These people with Down syndrome sometimes or other as you said, autism, physical, yeah, mental disabilities or challenges. And to the point, ARC works twenty four to seven, three sixty five a year to not only provide homes, but provide all kinds of care, to give people jobs so they can feel like they're lives are fulfilled because these people have a lot to offer.
Speaker 4: All of that does and so that's wonderful news.
Speaker 5: And you don't what this football. There's a sports story attached to this as well. If you want to hear it, look to share with you this concept for This advanced care Home started between the years of two thousand and three and two thousand and five. When did they started group of Boom County High School alums co hosted by Shawn Alexander who played in the National Football League. They raised on hundred forty nine thousand dollars to support the construction at the time of the advanced care home, but they are inspired by the late great football coach at Boom County High School, Owen how Why because he wanted to bring his son Glenn home from a state institution, Oakwood State Institution that was in Somerset, Kentucky. However, the bud news was Glenn his son passed away in two thousand and five and Owen, his dad to former coach, passed away in twenty sixteen. But Judy Girding promised that they would have this place, this advanced care Home built his honor with the Goal Line Slam Committee. And certainly what happened was there was an anonymous donor that gave the point off this property two point three seven acre property in Burlington and basically that's where it is today. It's an amazing, amazing story, really is that's fantastic.
Speaker 1: Can we talk sports for just a minute or two before you're done, and we got about four minutes. So the Reds off today obviously, that's why we're here sharing these fifty thousand watch together, Andy, and they're back above five hundred again. They keep playing this game back and forth, you know where it's like they'll go on a run. And you know, that was pretty incredible, taking the series from the team with the best record in baseball at this point, the Detroit Tigers for.
Speaker 8: The last six, for their last six.
Speaker 2: Somebody's beginning to gel. Yeah, I really do.
Speaker 5: But you know, again, the beauty, I guess, or maybe the horror sort of speak. You take your pick, take a choice of baseball. Following baseball's like a roller coaster, you go up and down. I mean, they need to go on a run. They need to run off like seven of the next eight.
Speaker 2: Things like that.
Speaker 5: And I'm concerned about this, you know, hunt of Green injury, because he's going to be gone. They say now for a while, and honestly, I mean, I want to check on the medical stands, Well, what is happening with this guy? I mean, why is he getting hurt? Because that's a tremendous loss you know, and the hitting seems to be coming around. I like to see a little more power in the lineup. But Ellie is hitting some home runs now lists four games consecutive home run So you know, I don't get too high, I don't get too low. However, I am rooting for them.
Speaker 2: Why what I root for them?
Speaker 5: A I like Tito very much. I like Nicrawl a lot. I like the Reds. But more than that, I think it's a great boon for the city. I think the city finds bunds together when the Reds win. It's great economically. Hotels get filled, restaurants get filled, bars get filled. So you know, it's a win win for the city, and everybody's happy when the Reds win. That's what it's all about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and when the Bengals win too.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're right, there are benefits that go way beyond sports fans when ray these two major league teams are winning in Cincinnati, the Reds and the Bengals, and the other thing that's going on while we talk. It's in progress right now, Game five of the NBA Finals between the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Indiana Pacers. It's been a great series so far. I mean, you don't get better than two to two after four games.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Well, here's the thing that I'm concerned about it.
Speaker 2: As soon as the series started.
Speaker 5: Every media person you know with a microphone or pencil, whatever it may be, is laptop. They were concerned with the market size and star power, you know, get away from that, and then then they go into the TV race.
Speaker 2: I have no idea why.
Speaker 5: For years and I went part of the problem too. I used to go on the radio, and you know, locally and sometimes even nationally with Box would say, well the rdnings of that, who cares?
Speaker 2: Who cares?
Speaker 5: I mean, really and truly, who really cares? When O Guy writes for USA Today in his column that the tea readings are down for the NBA funds, does he care? He's still watching the finals? And really with different platforms right now, I think it's very difficult to even tell if ratings are down or not. Really, I don't get it. It's not that important. You know, it's a great competitive series.
Speaker 8: Right now?
Speaker 5: Are there superstars out there to watch? I think there's somebuddy budding stuperstars. Terry's Halliburt and I'm thinking right now is on the verge of becoming the superstar GA GSA is unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Oklahoma City.
Speaker 5: So it's great competitive basketball. Who cares what the market size is? You know, when the Kansas City Royals and Minnesota Twins were playing in the World Series years ago, no one cared about market size. When the Reds were in the World Series, no one cared about market size. Why do they care about market size in the NBA? Because I'll tell you why. Because the nature of the beast and coverage of sports, and I'm just say a little secret. I'm going to exposed and open up the curtain right now. The secret has always been you have to write about superlatives, the best, the worst, the biggest, the smallest, the highest, the lowest, and obviously you talk about market sizes one of the smallest superlatives. Cell That's what they do when they cover sports. Find out, start reading stories and listening to what they do on sports coverage. It's all about superlatives. Bingo, that's it.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that this conversation was superlative, you know, in a way that I couldn't even imagined. Andy Furman, thank you very much. Congratulations to the point arc and the groundbreaking of this advanced care home over on Burlington Pike, and uh it's it's projected opening next summer.
Speaker 4: And uh, you know what the what the heck man?
Speaker 1: Get ata have purvall some chips from UDF and make him sit and run a curcaco and give him some more advice on how to run the city and keep us safe.
Speaker 5: Oh, all right, and Hamilton County, I'd run from there.
Speaker 4: That would be entertaining, do you think, well, I.
Speaker 5: Clean up the die. I would be going Washington, DC all the time, that's for sure. I'd be in cincinnatiwhere I belong.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you very much. Andy Furman. You can't spell Furman without fu. On the nightcap on seven hundred WF six, as we continue this hour of sports for the out of sorts, here is a guy, a local radio legend and also a legend in his own mind, who is on the verge of celebrating a big milestone birthday. Tomorrow. It'll be Wildman Walker's birthday. I'm not going to mention the digits the age. He can if he'd like to. They're having a party for him at what MVP. I don't guess that I should have disclosed that because wild Man. The last thing he needs is more outside public attention and gift cards. That I've promised that sometime before he is a year older, he will get a gift card for me. But I'm a poor, lowly part time talk show hosts, so you know, I can afford what I can afford. We'll see what we can get together for wild Man in this special day that occurs tomorrow, the anniversary of his birth. Wild Man Walker, Welcome to the Nightcap once again, sir. It's good to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Good talking to you.
Speaker 10: Gary Yay, I will turn the big seven five. My mother, my mother, she it's her birthday today, and of course on Wednesday it is sir, Paul McCartney's birthday.
Speaker 1: So three important birthdays in a row. And McCartney and your mom have a few years on you. Yes, yeah, so my mom has gone that Paul is alive and picking God love him, no doubt about it. I believe it was nineteen forty two, so that makes him eighty three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul McCartney.
Speaker 2: And he's got good jeans, that's for sure. He's definitely got some good jeans.
Speaker 10: And by the way, you mentioned that the party, the party will be at a celebrating a party at a MVP sports bar, Silverton, eight to twelve on Friday.
Speaker 8: My boy, my boy Shaggy who works at.
Speaker 10: WEBN, his band jet Pack Academy. Well rock the house and they have you never seen Jetpack Academy.
Speaker 1: I've come on and join the party. It's free, no cover, all right, wild Man, that out of the way. You want to talk a little bit about the Reds. Obviously, it's it's an off game, off day for the Reds. That's why we're here. Uh, and they're back above five hundred. La de la Cruz just had a blistering road trip. Man, four games in a row. He's gone yard and the Reds seem to be kind of clicking right now. But as we've seen throughout this season, it's an up and down kind of thing with this team. Where do you see him going? And you've got some advice for him.
Speaker 10: This month of June, of course, we were all looking at the schedule, how tough it.
Speaker 3: Was going to be.
Speaker 10: I mean, they're playing that, they're playing the Tigers, they're playing the Twins, you know, starting tomorrow, who are over five hundred. They play, they play the Cardinals, who you know who are really the Reds, Daddy. Then they play the Yankees here in town, then they play the Red Sox. So they got a really tough schedule. But so far they've been able to hold their own. I mean, they went four and two on the road trip. Y'all take that any old day. There's they're still they're still in the hunt for the NL Central.
Speaker 2: I don't want to.
Speaker 10: Talk about the wild Card. I always think it's way too early to start talking about the wildcard. But you got these talking heads on TV that's got to, you know, dot have something to say. But four and two road trip Li de la Cruz right now, if if I'm picking the All Star team, I don't know if I'm voting him to play the start at short stuff. But Li de la Cruz is on the NL All Star Team, and so is so is the Abbott, and so is uh free J Friedel. They're all three on there on the All Star team.
Speaker 2: They really are.
Speaker 1: And it has been absolutely amazing watching the uh the progression of TJ.
Speaker 4: Friedel.
Speaker 1: He has become a hit machine like the Reds haven't seen in a while. And you know, and it doesn't matter whether it's a home run or whether it's a sprayed single, that you know, or a double, or a walk or or a walk.
Speaker 2: TJ.
Speaker 1: Friedel has become a breakout star for the Reds. Not like he wasn't already one of the main line players obviously for this this ball club. But man, lately, TJ Friedel has been on a rule And you mentioned Andrew.
Speaker 10: If you were talking about untradable players right now, TJ. Friedel would be in the mix. Him and him and Dala de la Cruz, they would be definitely in the mix. That you cannot train those guys. I mean TJ plays center field, one of the toughest positions. Of course, Li plays shortstop, and TJ has always been a good outfielder. I've never requested his club, but he really took the heart that little chat that Terry Francona had with him just before the season started. You got to get on get on base twice, man, and we'll be in good shape.
Speaker 2: And he's done that.
Speaker 10: Here's a great stat for you, as up and down this season has been carried yeah for the Reds, losing streaks, winning streaks, you know, just injuries.
Speaker 2: How about this.
Speaker 10: The Reds are the only team in Major League Baseball not to have been experienced a sweep. They have not been swept by anybody. Every team of them Major League Baseball has been swept with the Cincinnati Reds.
Speaker 2: In the series.
Speaker 4: Wow, I didn't realize that.
Speaker 1: That crazy, you know, and as down in the mouth as people get when they go through that you know, five or six game Wayne, where you know, they dip back below five hundred. They haven't been swept at all this year. Have not been swept at all this year. That is simply amazing. It's a good stat you know, in a world that relies on stats all the time, the mundane and the day to day and figuring out how many games behind the Reds are in the wild Card, as you mentioned, that is an important stat because you know that you mentioned the part of the schedule for the Reds and we're right beginning it in the heart of it actually with the road trip to Detroit. For example, Detroit was twenty games above five hundred when this series started.
Speaker 2: And twenty and nine at home.
Speaker 1: Yes, so you know, jeez, this this could be a precursor for good things, especially with the Yankees coming to town. You wanted to talk about the Savannah Bananas announcer at the games this past weekend. I'm introducing Sean Casey, Bronson Arroyo, Todd Frazier, and Danny Graves as Red's Legends. Your thoughts wild Man on their choice of Red's Legends.
Speaker 10: Well, let me back, let me back up here first, because this.
Speaker 2: Is this ties it in with the other thing.
Speaker 10: I was in Kanton, Ohio on Friday to watch the Indian Hill Boys baseball team play in the state semi finals. Unfortunately, we came a one run short and then still bothers me how we had many chances to beat Musky Perkins, who by the way, did not win the state title, so that was a good thing, and we lost four to three.
Speaker 2: But after the game.
Speaker 10: And then I went to the Pro Football Hall of Fame with my buddy Tim Griffin. And after the Pro Football Hall of Fame, we went to a bar called Jersey's, a sports bar, and it wasn't bad except that music.
Speaker 2: Guy playing the music was a was a goofball.
Speaker 10: And while we're sitting there eating, I saw these three guys come in and I'm looking over and.
Speaker 2: I thought, Hey, Tim, is that Warren sappened?
Speaker 10: Because I was told that Warren sapp had been at the Pro Football Hall of Fame the day before sign an autographs. They bring a player in like once a week and they signed autographs and he goes, I don't know, he kind.
Speaker 2: Of looks like it.
Speaker 10: So he walks up to the DJ and the DJ said, no, that's Marcus dupri So my buddy sits down. I said, that's Marcus Dprix. I said yeah, I said he had he had. You know, he was a great high school player. He was doing a good college player.
Speaker 2: But he got hurt. This guy proceeded within.
Speaker 10: Five minutes to say, ladies and gentlemen in the house, please welcome the greatest running back ever in the history of football, Marcus Duprie. And I almost got out of the chair and walked over and punched him in the face.
Speaker 2: I said to myself, are you going to come on? Man?
Speaker 10: The greatest running back in the history of football? Marcus dupri get. So many touchdowns he had in the National Football League.
Speaker 4: Take a guess, I have no idea one one. He had one touchdown in the NFL down.
Speaker 10: He played a year and a half of college football and joined the USFL and got hurt, and then made it to the Saints had one touchdown, and this guy kept running over there and hugging him like he was like the greatest things in sliced bread. So here we have this announcer making this idiotic statement of the of the year that Mark's Dupree is the greatest running back in the history of football. Now fast forward to the Savanna Bananas. My buddy Greg sends me video of the some of the Bananas game and he says, here's your buddy, And the announcer says, please welcome the Cincinnati Reds legends. And of course he mentioned Sean Casey, Yeah, he's a Red legend. Bronson Arroyo, he's a Red legend. Yeah, Todd Fraser, he's not a Red's legend. And then Danny Graves a Red legend. I mean, is there anything not sacred anymore? Danny Graves, a Red legend who the last time on the mound a great American ballpark, served up a home run, walked off the mound, gave the one finger salute and an F bomb on a fan, and was fired the next day by Carl Lender. I wonder what was going on in that punt's mine when he was on the mound throwing, and I was told Gary Jeff that he gave up a home run in that game.
Speaker 4: He's got other issues besides his misjudgment on Danny Graves.
Speaker 2: Reds legend. Oh my god.
Speaker 10: And of course I went off on the I went off on the post and I had one guy say, well, he's the old time saves leader. I mean, that's the only comeback they can come on. And I have to come back and say his saves were crap, Nammy, Can you ever tell me one time he had a one two three inning? And I'm throwing that set up to know how many people tell me one time that Gary, that Danny Graves had a one two three inning. They go, I can never recall that he always walked, somebody gave up a double or whatnot. I said he had a pimple on the ass of John Franco, who should be in the Reds Hall of Fame and had a roll of Chapman. Stayed around another year, he'd be holding he'd be the Reds all time Saves leader. What a joke, Red legend. I got two words for Danny Graves as Red's legend, My ass of pimple on the butt of franco Yeah, who should be in the Red Soll of Fame. He won the Ros Relief Award twice. He is an e ra A has a red of two point eight nine.
Speaker 4: What was Danny Graves era wild man?
Speaker 2: Almost four?
Speaker 10: All almost four?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the great Red's Legend Danny Graves And.
Speaker 10: The last pitch he ever threw ended up in the left field seats and it was yanked out of the game by Dave Miley and fired, then fired by Carl Linder.
Speaker 2: Fired.
Speaker 4: Is Terry Francona doing exactly what they hired him to do with this?
Speaker 2: This I think he's doing.
Speaker 10: I think Terry, Terry knows how to handle guys. Terry's smart. He's great to listen to after the game. I mean, I mean, I get a little upset, but nothing nothing bad. But he's always got something to say and tries to say on the positive.
Speaker 2: I think the players like him. I got no complasion Terry Francona.
Speaker 10: The look at the guy's resume and then even though he's been out of baseball for a year, I mean he and he's learning this team because he didn't really know these guys.
Speaker 2: It takes a while. And when this is only Jude Now he knows, he pretty much knows what he's got and what he doesn't have. And I hear it.
Speaker 10: Hunter Green now might be out until All Star break, which is okay.
Speaker 2: I mean, Wade Miley, I'm.
Speaker 10: Shocked that he's been able to pitch as good as he has in those two outings. I can't believe teams haven't lit that guy up. But hey, right now, everything was clicking for the Reds, you know, not at first place, they're not in second place, but they're over five hundred.
Speaker 1: So he were like it be complained too much, well compared with, like you said, what he had to work with and getting to know the guys too.
Speaker 4: What is it about older managers?
Speaker 1: Is it just the experience that they bring to the table, you know, Because while a lot of people made hay about the fact that Terry Francona was getting up there in his seventies, just like you a questions about his health. The last time I saw an old skipper for the Reds that exceeded people's expectations was Jack McKeon.
Speaker 10: Absolutely trader Jack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yeah, you have fond thoughts of Jack McKeon's tenure here as a Reds manager. He was, you know, he was a guy who understood the game and could work with those those young guys and get him to work as a cohesive unit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Look what he did down with the Florida Marlins. He got my World Series. N you know, he's got a World Series. I only had one issue with Jack mccanna. I was about not playing Pete Rose Junior enough when the season was over, and they should have played Pete Rose Junior and to get more fans down there. But Jack did a phenomenal job with the Reds.
Speaker 2: He really did.
Speaker 10: And you're right, the experience factor with the guy like Terry Francona makes all the difference. I mean, look at Bruce Bochie, he set out of baseball for three years, comes back Texas Rangers were in a World Series.
Speaker 2: Experience, man, experience, it matters.
Speaker 4: So while you were in Tenton, did you tour the Football Hall of Fame?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 10: Absolutely, And I had been there Gary Jeffs since nineteen seventy when it was just the dome outside.
Speaker 2: So it's changed so much.
Speaker 10: And I was concerned about going into the gallery where all the the bus were. I didn't know they were behind glass.
Speaker 2: But no, you can still touch the bus.
Speaker 10: So of course I go to my favorite bus, Joe name my guy, Joe Nama had a picture taken next to the bus. Then I've found the bus to Paul Brown founded the Bengals. I had to get a picture take him back next to the bust of Paul Brown. Jim Brown bus, the greatest running back ever was too high up. I did my buddy did take a picture of it. And then I went over to the bust of Joe Montana and I slapped that bus twice in the faith.
Speaker 1: Now you just mentioned arguably, and I don't think there's any argument about Jim Brown. So you've mentioned Marcus Dupree and Jim Brown, and this guy was putting Marcus dupri in the same Yeah, in the.
Speaker 10: Greatest running run history of football.
Speaker 4: Jim Brown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said, take it, Jim Brown. Oh God, oh man.
Speaker 10: And PROSA Hall of Fame is worth every bit of the admssion.
Speaker 2: It is really cool. It is really cool. I'm glad. I went. That's because, like I said, Benson's nineteen seventy. So I'm glad.
Speaker 10: Of course, if you're in Canton and you're doing something, if you got an extra day, you gotta go.
Speaker 4: You gotta go to it. Highly recommended by the wild Man. Let's get the detail you recommend it, sir.
Speaker 1: Let's get to details again of the Big wild Man seventy fifth birthday celebration. Again, Tomorrow is the actual day, but yeah, Friday, You'll be celebrating.
Speaker 4: In Silverton at the MVP Sports Lounge.
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 10: Sports Sportsport, MVP Sports Bar and Grill MVP and Silverton right there on Plainfield Road eight to twelve. No Cover Jet Pack Academy will rock the house. I will be kissing babies and shaking hands. And also tomorrow, Gary Jeff, it is the birthday of one Dave Concepts, the own.
Speaker 4: Big Red Machine.
Speaker 2: You could be.
Speaker 4: You should be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 10: I mean, if pe Ree Reach is in the Hall of Fame, and Phil Rizzuto is in the Hall of Fame, and Harold Baines is in the Hall of Fame, davidceptcy Own should be in the Hall of Fame. Matt, you talk about an injustice. That's just an outrage that davidceptcy Ow is not in Cooperstown.
Speaker 4: A lot of people feel the same way, brother, I'm all over it.
Speaker 1: Listen, happy birthday tomorrow, wild Man, and again the gift card will be in the mail sometime within the next calendar year.
Speaker 10: I will lert my I will alert my mailman to keep an eye out for so don't get stolen when it's delivered.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of that's happening.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: My wife and I some a friend and his wife sent us one hundred dollars at Montgomery Inn in an anniversary card back on May thirty first. We should have received it. We never received it, and I wonder who's eating my ribs.
Speaker 2: Oh no, well a good thing too.
Speaker 10: Before I let you go, Donald Trump is still my president, and the rest of you hate lives.
Speaker 4: Thank you, wild Man. It's a perfect place to end it.
Speaker 1: Wildman Walker on the verge of his seventy fifth birthday tomorrow. The celebration, of course, for wild Man goes all week, and if you're gonna come out to Silverton to see him on Friday night, make sure you bring a gift.
Speaker 4: He's a stickler for that. The night I cants in.
Speaker 1: Just a few moments with my buddy old radio Rick Washburn talking about the Great Radio Bonfire of nineteen twenty nine.
Speaker 4: It's coming up in minutes.
Speaker 1: Walker, just as Shade passed eleven o'clock on a Monday evening talking to the old night Owl. Actually he usually isn't up at this point in the day or evening, but he is doing it for me because he's my friend. He's also heard regularly on Saturday mornings on my Saturday Morning Edition show around six fifteen, so he's early and late. No matter what I need, he is there for me with usually radio reception reports. We do some DX talk because this guy has made a life out of repairing beautiful antique radios. I call him Old Radio Rick. He calls himself that. And tonight we're gonna to be talking about some of these beautiful relics of the past that are no longer with us for one particular reason. And we're talking about radios that were manufactured in the nineteen twenties. And there were a lot of radios that were lost that weren't supposed to be destroyed in what is called the Great Radio Bonfire of nineteen twenty nine. You thought that only the depression was going on in nineteen twenty nine. Nay, I say nay. There was widespread destruction. Oh the humanity of destroyed radios and the like to talk about that and more. Rick Washburn joins us again tonight. How you doing, Ricky? I'm doing great. Hey, good evening, sir. And you know what a great lead in.
Speaker 11: And by the way, as you said, it's the great run Bond Black the Great Radio Bonfire of nineteen twenty nine weren't great? Is not always the best word to use, now, is it.
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No, the Big and Big Beautiful Bill may not have been more descriptive, more descriptive than the others, because it's it's a pretty large piece of legislation. But as far as the Great Radio Bonfire, I had no knowledge that this ever occurred, you know, I was a you know, a history buff as far as the book burnings of the nineteen thirties and Nazi Germany, and another fame the burning of Beatles records back in the nineteen sixties, oh which only which only served to double album sales of the Beatles. Really Paul, Paul and John today, Paul still thanking people that they burned those Beatles records because he was, you know, receiving royal ties for the copies the kids bought after their parents convinced them or chorus them to burn their Beatles records. But I had never heard about the Great Radio Bonfire until you broach the subject with me. What exactly was it and why did it happen?
Speaker 11: Well, so if I may take a step back into history a little bit, and I'll try to keep it brief, but heavens, if you've ever heard me, you know brief is not in my vocabulary. First of all, for background, there's basically four types of radios that existed.
Speaker 8: Then this is a very general overview.
Speaker 11: But number one, there were crystal sets and Gary, Jeff, you and I talked about these not that long ago. You've got the catch whisker where you've got this little rock that has some element in it with a little tiny wire that was a nightmare to get to work. And also germanium diode radios and one two radios, and these were all very very simple radios, typically used to train people or get people interested in radio. Very few parts, and yeah, they were affordable. The interesting thing about them is that even though all of them, with the exception of the tube model, required no batter your power source whatsoever, they actually had the very best audio quality of any radio. And they still do but it's a huge trade off for the fact that there's no selectivity, no sensitivity. If you're sitting near a radio station, that's all you're going to pick up, right And if you're sitting between two powerful radio stations, you're going to listen to both of them at the same time. So not ideal, but nonetheless it was. It was a great introduction. Number two, there was the tr effort or tuned radio frequency design, and there was a wide variety of these designs. Some were gorgeous, some were utilitarian in appearance, some were homemade, and they could actually be hilarious, depending upon your definition of how they looked. The design was very flexible in terms of the electronics. Most of two or three tuning amplification stages, but you could add as many stages as you wanted. For each stage, the signal was amplified to make the radio more sensitive, but each stage also reduced the audio quality. So if you're in the middle of nowhere and your intent is just picking up a little blip from some bazillion mile away radio station, if you added enough amplification stages, you could still pick it up. It may not sound great, but you'd probably be thrilled to hear it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 11: The complexity was greater, the cost was greater, but these radios could power speaker if you picked it up that way, and even pick up short wave if that's how you designed it. It was all about the configuration. You're right, number three, yeah, number three?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, number three. You're on a roll.
Speaker 11: Is the superhead dying? And I guess names such as Neutra Dyne and trudin I still love that one. We're just not complicated enough so or hard enough to spell, so they came up with super Heterodyne. These usually referred to as the super Heat, thankfully to be more private. It's actually the same design of basically every virtual virtually every AM and shortwave radio manufactured today. Yes, there's been a lot of modifications and so forth, but nonetheless, back in the late twenties orly thirties, most of these sets were gorgeous in some way, either a piece of furniture or a room accent, rather than something Mom wished she could throw away and relegate to the cellar. These sets were designed for great selectivity, with the options for great sensitivity as well. They were the easiest to use by the consumer, which is a good selling point, especially to the stereotypical housewife. But they were complex radio, so they were expensive, all right. So there's three down, one to go, and that brings us to our topic. We got to nineteen twenty nine and the fourth type of radio receiver available was known as the regenerative detector. This type of radio was way less complex than the superheterodyne, only slightly.
Speaker 8: More so than the TRF for tuned radio frequency.
Speaker 11: So basically, for less parts you would experience far better sensitivity and it was close to being the best of all worlds. Because it was sensitive, it was a little less complex, the cost was reasonable, it had comparable audio quality to set up an operation was a bit intimidating or even problematic, especially for anybody who didn't really dive into the inside baseball world of radio. Now, with apologies, i'll jump back to the superheterodyne for just a moment. One key feature of that type of radio it was not included in any crystal or TRF set, was the oscillator. And skipping over why it exists so forth. Hey, if you're nodding off, grab a cup of coffee.
Speaker 8: It'll be over soon. If you're playing at home.
Speaker 11: You can take two AM radios and put each each of them together within about a foot or two, and if you tune one to seven hundred WLW while you enjoy the show, you can tune the other one to seven hundred and start tuning the tuner up towards sixteen hundred at some point, typically around eleven fifty, but it varies depending upon the radios. You're gonna start hearing interference, and it may be a squeal, it may be a tone, what have you. But that is you picking up the transmission from the other radio, because that oscilator is actually a transmitter. Now, if you then take one of those radios and move it away from the other, you may get as far as twenty feet before you don't hear that interference anymore. So, yeah, it's basically a problem if you're in the same room in the same home. Okay, go ahead, Oh, I was gonna say so. In nineteen forty five, the US Navy commissioned radios that got to be known as morale boosters, and they were intended for sailors while not engaged by the way to be entertained.
Speaker 8: That's the morale boosting process.
Speaker 11: The Crosley version of this radio, known as the RIP, had a bright red warning label affixed to the front of the radio, declaring warning unsafe radiation levels. Do not use a board ship. And I've had more than one person asked me, are we getting radiated? Does this have a nuclear device in it? It's like, no, it's poor warning. The fact is that just like when you have the two radios together and one can interfere with the other, you're in During World War Two, the enemy, if you were using an AM radio, was an oscillator on board ship. They if they had the sensitive enough receiver, they could figure out where you were.
Speaker 4: You could give away your low.
Speaker 1: You could give away your location, and that was not a good thing if you're on a submarine and mode right exactly exactly so. I had a cat's whisker. I built one when I was a boy scout. I didn't build my first transmitter until I was in a special UH special class in summer school out of sixth grade, and I built my own little FM transmitter. But these regenerative radios with the oscillator could receive and then transmit radio signals at the same time. That's what you're getting at right, well, and see with the superheterodynes. But the point was, unfortunately that you you weren't actually talking on.
Speaker 2: The radio.
Speaker 11: Wasn't a train transmitter in the sense that you were intending to send a signal. Right, the radio was doing it for you, and not because you were sending intelligent information or music or anything else. It just happened to be sending a signal out because of its internal workings.
Speaker 1: Well, you're supposing that we're sending out intelligent information tonight, So tell me about the tell me about the great radio bonfire of nineteen twenty nine.
Speaker 3: What was it?
Speaker 8: Okay, So.
Speaker 11: Here we are in nineteen twenty nine, and where ten years after Katie Ka went commercial radio was becoming less of an experimental, amateur richman's toy, and like you said, it's the Roaring twenties. It was more of a real source of news and entertainment and ignoring what was about to happen to the economy. Right at this moment, more and more radios were finding their way into homes, and that meant more of more radios overall, and more of these regenerative receivers. The problem with the regenerative detectors is that unlike that little twenty foot concept of the oscillator transmitting. Yeah, these things could go a thousand feet or more. Sometimes if the radio wasn't tuned properly, you're not being used properly, it could interfere with radios up to a half mile away. So the powers that be decided that it was time to put an end to the problem of the fact that you know, if you're at a farm, rural area, or you're somewhere where nobody anywhere near you another radio, it's not a problem. Yeah, But if you if you're in town and now here you are in the south Kate, Kentucky, and your two of your neighbors happened to also have radios at the same time that your firing up your regenerative detector, they may not be able to hear their show or their station because they're just picking up this squeal that's coming from your radio. Hey thanks alone, right, Yeah, So they decided to put an end of the problem. The solution was the Great Radio Bonfire of nineteen twenty nine. And the plane, of course, was just to grab up all the violating sets and destroy them. But there is and like you said, you hadn't heard of this before. It was a real dig to try to find any information on this, and it's still limited. But I've had a few things, and I thought one of them was a particularly interesting which was a postcard that apparently also was included in various magazines in nineteen twenty nine, where it's a little card at the top. I think it's hilarious.
Speaker 6: Fire fire, fire, okay, okay.
Speaker 11: An unusual offer to all radio owners of old battery type radio sets. Here is our offer. Battery sets are now obsolete. They have no resale value whatsoever. Their worth is only as much tinder for a bonfire, and that is what we're going to do with them.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of problems with what was just said.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, one very specific at all.
Speaker 11: Number one, no, yeah, exactly, and every rate. Of course, some crystal sets like the Cat's Whisker doesn't need any power source, but every other type of radio could run on batteries. The battery wasn't the problem for heaven's sake. And number two a completely worthless. Wow, that's a stretch. Again, this is nineteen twenty nine, folks. If they bought a radio that's probably not even five years old yet, and you're being told, oh, that's a big pilot. Pooh, it's useless. Let let me just take that from you. Oh but here's a coupon for ten dollars off a brand new rue. I'm not sure that's a great selling tactic because oh, yeah, we screwed you last time.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 8: Now this time it's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: So a lot of I guess the point of this is that there were a lot of beautiful radios that did not need to be destroyed, that were as a as a result of this advertising campaign to get rid of the oscillator based radios, right.
Speaker 11: And that is why collectors like myself who there's a couple of videos out there that are they're hard to find, but I did actually capture a copy of one between the fact that there's a you know, like a late twenties truck that they're loading all these radios into and they're just throwing them up into the truck willy nilly, and half of them were falling back out again.
Speaker 8: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 11: There were some beauties, like some early at Water Kent TRF sets that were called breadboards and all the tubes still in them that the tubes could still be used in the superheterodyne sets. That the tubes weren't causing the problem, it was the circuit. Yeah, and I suppose that means that a lot of people traded in and bought new and that was ultimately good for the economy.
Speaker 8: I'm sure.
Speaker 11: But yeah, he gadds, it's heartbreaking to see some of the stuff of like I wished I had one of those.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now we're pretty much running out of time here, Rick.
Speaker 8: No worry.
Speaker 11: I found three snippets from a newspaper, but I'll just read a couple. One is from Saint Louis, where it says the old Blooper sets to burn in bonfire affair at Saint Louis. Thousands of old bloopers are to perish in a giant bonfire to rid Saint Louis of interference caused by regenitive radio receivers. And then the other was from Long Island, where Long Island radio dealers have accumulated twenty five thousand worn out and dilapidated radio sets form which will be burned in a large bonfire on election night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, just so heartbreaking for somebody like you who collects and repairs, these great, great pieces of American history, and people who just love radio like I do. I mean today you don't have to worry about a regenitor of radio. Most people just pull out their phone. I'm gonna listen to the radio.
Speaker 2: What do it mean?
Speaker 4: What are you talking about? All right, listen.
Speaker 1: I will speak to you on Saturday morning, bright and early, about six fifteen like usual, And thank you so much for your time tonight. The great radio Bonfire of nineteen twenty nine. Oh the humanity.
Speaker 10: Don't let the pop, sickles and muddy puddles of summer take over your home.
Speaker 1: It is always my pleasure to have this next guest on the Nightcap or anytime I have a chance to talk to him.
Speaker 4: He is the man behind the CO two co in Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: With the real information, the real facts about energy and about fossil fuels, about sustainable energy, and our path forward as we get here into the twenty first century, in the age of AI and all of the energy that's going to be needed to create the power to fuel that new technology. And he's on the cutting edge of informing the public too, with their fantastic information that's available almost almost on a daily basis with new reports from the CO two coalition, and he's here tonight to talk with us. Greg Wrightstone, Doctor wright Stone, it's a pleasure to have you on the show again.
Speaker 2: How are you.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's good.
Speaker 2: Good to be on with you.
Speaker 12: There's thankfully we now have leadership in Washington, d C. That's speaking truth about the climate change agenda in this fake climate crisis and embracing some realistic energy expectations. That is that our energy here in the United States. Donald Trump, President g Prime Minister Modive of India, the three of them all understand if you want a strong, vibrant, growing economy, you need energy in particularly electricity that's reliable, abundant and affordable, and that ain't renewables. It's not solar, and it's not wind. It's nuclear, natural gas, oil and coal.
Speaker 1: I did see something that kind of disturbed me last week. President Trump apparently did give the ok for some wind farms I guess on the East coast, well limiting that but saying okay, we can, we can, you can build those, you can go ahead.
Speaker 4: Did you see that?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I'm spinning from Virginia right now. The dominion product very disappointing, very disappointing. Chris Wright, the Farm of Energy Secretary, he looked like he was biting on a lemon when he was talking about it, because I could tell he didn't want to say the words. But he acknowledged that this Dominion Energy project is He said it was too far along to be canceled.
Speaker 2: But that's it's just not true.
Speaker 12: And in fact, we thought there's another win project off of Long Island. We thought he had an agreement with Kathy Hoakle, the governor of New York, to allow pipeline. We built her pipelines to be built through New York if he allowed that to go to the offshore program to go through. And she's not about to do any pipelining because as you know, we've talked many times about this vast quantity of natural gas in Pennsylvania and West Virginia and eastern Ohio that just it's sitting there waiting for New England to come get it. But there's no way to get it there. But that deal apparently was never reached her or Kathy hoak renigged on it because she said absolute, absolutely no to new pipelines. And just bear in mind to New England's paying four to five times too higher natural gas prices than what they could if they could buy it from Texas and Louisiana.
Speaker 2: So these these.
Speaker 12: Countries, China and Endi are both mining more coal, building more coal fired electricity, emitting more of my miracle molecule, the beneficial molecule, carbon dioxide, and Trump's embraced carbon coal as well. We can, we can, We can use coal using super critical techniques the colt the China is using to produce uh electricity without harmful pollutants coming out. And the only thing to come out of that smokestack with the right technology is water vapor and carbon dioxide.
Speaker 1: Which water vapor makes up a majority of our atmosphere anyway, correct, naturally, is that right.
Speaker 12: Of all the greenhouse it's not, well, technically no, because a lot of it's are gone and nitrogen and there's just a lot of other things. But of all the greenhouse gases, it's thought that the water vapor comprises oh, probably seventy five or eighty percent of the greenhouse warming effect can be attributed to water vapor and clouds, and the rest maybe twenty percent to carbon dioxide and just tiny amounts to the others, but they particularly methane is so small.
Speaker 2: But yet they're.
Speaker 12: Continuing to demonize animal husbandry and farming and cattle ranching because of the supposed methane that's coming out. And I just think about that they're complaining about methane from cattle. There were some twenty times as many buffalo and buffalo's are rum and it's just like cattle that also and they're not farting methane, they're burping it the rest of the process of digesting the grass as the cellular material, they're actually belching out methane gases. And so there were twenty times as many buffalo than there are cattle in the continental of the United States, so there would have been twenty times as much methane being belched, you know, back in the eighteen hundreds when they were vast and seventeen hundreds when they're vast herds of buffalo roaming the Midwest and the American West.
Speaker 1: The G seven seven is going on in Canada right now, and you mentioned President Trump and g and Modi of India all being on board with what needs to happen energy wise for their countries and the world but.
Speaker 4: The rest of the G seven aren't. You're not getting the message yet, are.
Speaker 12: They No, And their economies are showing it. Look at particularly Germany in particular, they've really really doubled and tripled down on their energy policies because they believe, apparently there's a climate crisis and they can solve it by not burning coal, not burning oil and gas, but rather going entirely with renewables. And they don't want to do any nuclear just their neighbors. In France, seventy five percent of their electricity is provided by nuclear. They've embraced it some forty to fifty years ago. They embraced the nuclears being the backbone of their electricity, and so their prices electricity in France is a significant discount to that in Germany. And we can see it with the industrial sector, the auto sector fleeing Germany, and a lot of these countries are coming to the United States because of our relatively low energy prices. So if you've got a gidget factory and you're located in Bond, Germany or someplace in Germany, even France, for the high electricity prices, you can move that gidget factory to wherever the low energy costs are, and that would be here in the United States.
Speaker 1: Well, the last time I manufactured gidgets, I was looking for the best price for my power too.
Speaker 2: You mentioned absolutely.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to let's get back to the liquid natural gas subject. It is one of the cleanest sources of energy on the planet, is it not, And why is it being vilified if so?
Speaker 12: Well, because they continue to demonize carbon dioxide. Just to make it simple, So, methane is the simplest of the hydrocarbon molecules. It's the formula is c H four. That's pure methane one carbon four hydrogens and when you burn it, it combines with two oxygen models molecules of BO two and so what it produces it it produces heat, two water volume water molecules, and one molecule of carbon dioxide and that's all that's produced. And so it's very clean burning. And the added benefit is that by using it, we're increasing atmospheric carbon dioxide that benefits of vegetation, that benefits crop growth. We're seeing it really really exploded crop growth over the last fifty years, and it continues every year to expand there are more increase in crop production is outpacing population growth. We should celebrate that, but instead we're being told lies from government officials. Now hopefully it's stopped. Under President Trump, the has fired a.
Speaker 2: Lot of these.
Speaker 12: Scientists that have been public peddling basically disinformation, climate misinformation and lying about what your listeners are being lied to on a daily basis about climate change that you never hear of the benefits of what's happening in the combination of warming and more co two related to huge benefits.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of speaking of polar.
Speaker 1: Speaking of of farm related energy news, are they still waging war against these fertilizers that are absolutely essential to UH to produce a kind of production that the world and these farmers need. Why are they doing that?
Speaker 12: Yeah, they are, And it's it's really it's a one to two punch in the agriculture and it's a punch to the gut because most of the increases we've seen a crop productivity that come from the combination well really three things. Warming means more longer growing, suss sure carbon dioxide is fueling carbon dioxide fertilization effect.
Speaker 2: And then we've got this use of.
Speaker 12: Fertilizer which really began in the in the mid fifties and wise use of fertilizers. Just I've got some great images of wheed that was grown one field on one side, had no fertilizer, nitrogen fertilizer that when used adequate amounts, and it's just just amazing what that nitrogen fertilizer. We saw in Sri Lanka off the coast of India here this has now been three years ago, I believe four years ago, where President Roger Posey there insisted that he banned fertilizer use it. It's an overwhelmingly agricultural nation, depends on agriculture, and it's their entire economy collapsed. He was he barely escaped with his life because of his ban on nitrogen fertilizer, and they're back using nitrogen fertilizer again. Now we have to do it with You don't want to over do your nitrogen fertilizer because you can't have runoff effects. And we see it here where I'm calling you from Florida. We see where the some of the nitrogen can run off of fields and calls the algal blooms. So you have to make sure you work with your county agricultural agent to make sure you're using the right quantity of the fertilizer for those farmers listening in, but they already know that because of course they don't want to spend more money than they have to on fertilizer.
Speaker 1: No, and too much of anything could be bad for your crops. I mean, just put it in suscinct terms.
Speaker 4: And the planet. But with the runoff you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Saw something somebody pointed out an article that your organization, the CO two Coalition, put out about we're actually showing signs of gaining Arctic ice.
Speaker 12: Yes, and since Arctic really since twenty twelve. Twenty twelve was the minimum extent measured by satellites and since twenty twelve, that's thirteen years now, there's been some growth. It's stopped retreating and some growth the Arctic ice. And we know the Antarctic ice is also not recreating. There's one area of Antarctica work where there is some melting going on, but that's the West Antarctica. It's right above what's called the West Antarctic rift zone. It's an active zone. It's one of the hottest areas for volcanic activity. So the ice there's melting from underneath rather than above. So if it's climate change, we're melting for the top down. Here, it's melting for the bottom up because of this the high flow coming out of this rift zone beneath the ice.
Speaker 2: And so you're not.
Speaker 12: Getting the whole story. And I'm just on a call too with doctor Peter rid of Australia talking about the Great Barrier Reef and it's really fascinating. The stories they tell and the lies they tell of the Great Barrier Reef are incredible. And there's we've seen in twenty twenty four we had the largest amount.
Speaker 2: Of coral covered the Great Barrier.
Speaker 12: Reef since they began doing these aerial surveys, uh some thirty years ago.
Speaker 1: Well, Greg, I thought I thought the Great Barrier Reef was dying because of man made pollution.
Speaker 2: Not not so.
Speaker 12: So they call these bleaching events. They're called bleaching events. And they go through these bleaching events. A lot of things caused them, Uh, environmental thing changes, the coral polyps spit out, the coloring agents, the zoom intel that are in that are lived with the in symbiosis with the coral. Yeah, and when they lose that they be they turn white. There have been I believe six major bleaching events over the last decade and a half. We talked about that last night with Peter riv But even so, these things come right back there. They're aggressive, strong coral growth, and we see the corals. Actually, he provided a chart to me showing so almost a linear trend of increased coral growth from the coldest areas in the southern part of the Great Barrier Reef up to the north where it is warmer, and the warmer it is, the faster the corals grow, completely contrary to what you've heard, so corals like it hot and hotter the better.
Speaker 1: It was very revealing and humorous to find out that Greta Tunberg doesn't really care about the climate crisis anymore. Apparently the existential threat to the planet has disappeared for a chance to get a selfie on a relief ship to Gaza and see and a bunch of other very very attention seeking people were interdicted by the IDF on their way for a relief mission. I don't know exactly what they were bringing to Gaza besides their cameras and their attention seeking selves, but you know, I thought her cause to celeb was, you know, the planet and man made climate change, and apparently that that's gone by the wayside, because I guess she's not getting as much traction that way anymore.
Speaker 4: What are your thoughts on that anything?
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think she's twenty two an now, So she's not a child. We used to say, he can't beat her up, she's a child. Well, I'm not going to beat her up anyhow, but we're gonna, you know, we can take her to task for what she says and the insane thing she's done. So, yes, we haven't heard anything coming out of her about climate change. She's adopted this anti Israel campaign, embracing in the Palestinians and the Hamas and the rest. And this boat you talked about. They arrived and they actually had virtually nothing that.
Speaker 2: They was supposed to be on a releaf boat. Yes, they actually had to feed the people.
Speaker 3: On the boat because they had run about run out of food.
Speaker 12: And then they forced her to get on. They put her on an airplane. She swore six or seven years ago she would never ever fly in an airplane, and so she wasn't really happy be about that. So we've got a great picture of her sitting sitting in the airplane where she swore she never do it.
Speaker 2: Amazing stuff.
Speaker 1: If you want to learn more about the CO two Coalition and the fine work they do providing facts not lies, where would people go, Greg?
Speaker 4: I know it's very simple, but you tell.
Speaker 12: Them yeah, Co two Coalition dot org. Or if you've got children or grands children that are being homeschooled, we have a wonderful learning website. It's called CO two Learningcenter dot com. Co two Learning Center dot com. We have lesson plans that are prepared by our senior education advisor, doctor Sharon Camp. So it's your place to go to get homeschooling materials. If you've got a charter school, we try to provide all of this at no charge to educate your educators and parents and grandparents.
Speaker 4: Greg Rystone, thank you so much for the time tonight. I appreciate it. Thank you you bet We will close out this night cap next our height Harder