Speaker 1: Hello, It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games that you can play for free, anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuckcasino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonus, that's Chumbu Casino dot com and live the Chumba Lane.
Speaker 2: Novers necessary, DVOD wherever If I lost in terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 1: Okay, round two, name something that's not boring.
Speaker 3: Laundry, a book club, computer solitaire.
Speaker 1: Huh oh, sorry, we were looking for Chumbu Casino.
Speaker 3: Chum.
Speaker 1: That's right, chumbacasino dot com as over one hundred casino style games joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prizes. Chum chumbucasino dot com.
Speaker 4: Novercessary working back eighteen plus terars. The conditions of plus.
Speaker 5: Loo you are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week, another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupansky.
Speaker 2: Good evening. This episode of True Murder is brought to you by Audible, the world's leading name in digital audiobooks. Descended from a notorious Carneifan family, Grady Styles Junior traded on the deformity that gave his hands and feet the look of lobster clause to achieve fame as the Lobster Boy. In November nineteen ninety two, neighbor Christopher Wyant, in a conspiracy with Style's wife and stepson, shot Styles in the head, leading to one of the most bizarre trials in criminal history. The book that we're featuring this evening is Lobster Boy, The bizarre life and brutal death of Grady Styles Junior, with my special guest, investigative journalist and author Fred Rosen. Welcome back to the program, and thank you very much for agreeing to this interview Fred Rosen.
Speaker 6: Always pleasure to be with you. Hi, Dan, how are you great?
Speaker 2: How are you doing? Fred?
Speaker 6: Well, it's it's always a pleasure to be with Danan.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much. It's always a pleasure to interview Fred Rosen. Always busy and always with a great story and a great book. And we're going to go backwards in time a little bit later on, we're going to talk about the latest developments in the Kendrick Johnson case. For those people that are dedicated fans of the show, they'll know what we're talking about. There has been some really interesting and very well, it's beyond interesting, cutting edge programs about current injustice in America, and so with Fred rose and spearheading the investigation. So but first, let's go back in time to Lobster Boy. And before we get into this incredible story that not everyone knows, when did you write this? When was this book published? And when did you write this book? Fred Lobster Boy?
Speaker 6: Well, Dan, Dan, I'll tell you what happened. What happened was, as you pointed out, the murder occurage of nineteen ninety two and oh much an about a year later, I was in Florida with the person would eventually become my ex wife, thank god. And uh, I was going to I was going to Disney World, and I picked up the local newspaper, you know, in in in Orlando, and I found out about this trial that was taking place down in Tampa in Hillsborough County. Uh and and this the the person on trial was a woman named married Teresa Stiles, who had allegedly arranged for the murder of her husband, Gray Styles Junior also know this lobster Boy. And I got on the phone with my with my editor at that time at the publishing house I was working for, and I said, you're not going to believe this. And I said, uh, there's this woman and she supposedly killed her husband and he was lobster boy. I said, isn't that a joke? And he said to me, that's your next book. I said, you're kidding. He said, no, that's your next book. And that's how I found out about it, and and that's how I got the assignment to write the book, and and and and so what happened was I got the contract. It was unusual, especially compared to today, where I got the contract pretty quickly and the next thing, you know, you know, within a couple of months. It was Halloween night of ninety three. I was on a I went down to Florida to start investigating Wow, and I landed again on Halloween night. And I and I'll never forget this. It's not in the book. I should have put it in there, Dan, Uh. And I'm I'm driving out of the airport in Tampa and I, you know, I'm at a light and I look over and the next car I see Dracula. I said to some dude who was dressed as Dracula, and I went, Oh my god, what's going on? And then because I realized it was Halloween, but that was sort of like the harbinger of things to come, you know. And that's how I working on it.
Speaker 2: Now, that's a good segue because Halloween is appropriate because you're going to a place that's what they call Carnival Heaven. You describe, uh, this Gibson Town, Gibson, Gibsonton, Yeah, Gibsonton, Yes, So tell us a little bit about tell us about this little Gibsonton little town.
Speaker 6: Well, I'll tell you, Dan, it's probably the most unique town in in certainly in the United States. Uh, you know, I don't know if you have anything that you know, comparable in Canada, but it's not in in the US. It's weird. You go down, you know, the main you go down the this main highway and you go over bridge. Next thing, you know, you come to big sign It says the Giants Camp. I swear it says the Giants camp. And what the heck is this about? Well, it turns out this was a camp where the Giant camped. What it was was that in the nineteen forties, people who were in the Carny gravitated south during the winter. They settled in Gibsons in south of Tampa because of the weather, the Bomby weather in the summer. And the Giant was a giant. The guy who was about I don't know, seven eight feet fall something like that. You know, I made Shaquilonia looked short. And he married the world's only within half girl. Her name was Jennie Tilmany. And I, you know, I'm going, what the heck is this about? You know, I'm there to investigate a murder case. And it got weird. Dan, it got weirder. You'd be riding around this town and you'd see things like wirewalkers, three legged you know, goats, you know, all kinds of animal oddities. You'd see little people in those days they would call midgets. You'd see all kinds of carnie freaks. It was the weirdest thing. And when you went to the post office, the counter that they had you had two counters. One was for normal sized people and one was for little people. It was the weirdest thing. And then you'd see all of the carney trucks and things like that in the backyards. And eventually I wound up going from I had lunch at the Giants camp. I met Jeanie Tomini, the world's only living half girls. She was born with missing the lower half of her body. She married the Giant, they had kids, wonderful human being, wonderful person. And then eventually I found my way to to the trailer where Lobster Boy had lived with his wife. Married Teresa Stiles, who in the carnival was known as the Electrified Girl because it was an illusion that was perpe that they did where she would seem to be she would sit in a chair like an electric chair, and you know, lightning bolts would come out of her fingers, that sort of thing. And at that point she was in jail because she had already been charged with killing Grady, her husband. And I met Grady Styles the third aka Little Grady. I met his sister, Kathy Styles, who also had ecodactyle, which is the genetic condition that causes diffusing the hands and fingers. Kathy would later go on to be on the TV series Carnival as a lobster girl. And I met Mary's third husband, Midgetman. Hectter have a nice guy named Harry Glenn Newman. And when she married Harry Glenn Newman midget Man, they had a son, Harry Glenn Newman Jr. And he became the human blockhead. You can't make this stuff up, which is a person who talents things up his nose, h to you know, only in the United States. Canada's to civilized for this stuff. But anyway, that's that's what happened. And I met these people and I and I and I basically interviewed them and I got their confidence.
Speaker 2: Now, how did you pronounce the the disorder itself?
Speaker 6: Again? Sorry, It's called ectodactyle, and what it is is a disorder. It's a genetic disorder that that goes from generation to generation where it causes the fusing of the fingers uh and the stunting of growth of the feet, and it comes out slightly differently in every generation. And what makes this interesting is that in order to stop it, you'd have to adopt. Yet the Style family decided not to do that, and so they had this this genetic condition prevailed in the Style family from one President Polk we're going back to the eighteen forties, was president up until the present, and so they continued to procreate for whatever reason. I never got into it with the family, but they decided to procreate, and the odds were in favor of the condition coming out in whatever child was born from this family. Except there was one child in the Styles family, Donna, who did not have that condition, and that created other problems later on down the line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's not jump ahead there. Yes, created, we'll discuss that because that would be very important as well. Yeah, it's interesting too. He talks about I guess one of the Styles saying the grandfather, I guess saying, you know that he knew that there was a fifty fifty chance and he had said that to the family, almost with pride that you know he got about a fifty to fifty chance of getting it. So yep, for whatever reason. Now, for those didn't see the photo or don't get to see the photo that a little I posted on for the show description, it's interesting that the hands are then have a claw actual like a lobster claw, but just for people to know that it's right past the knee so it doesn't step into.
Speaker 7: The world of power, loyalty and luck.
Speaker 8: I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.
Speaker 3: With family, canoli's and spins mean everything.
Speaker 8: Now you want to get mixed up in the family.
Speaker 3: Business, Introducing the Godfather at Champa Casino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather slot.
Speaker 8: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 3: Play the Godfather now at Champacasino dot com.
Speaker 8: Welcome to the.
Speaker 9: Family vdW group. No perch's necessary. I believe we're privited by loss. He terms and conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 2: The Lobster boy didn't really have legs, so maybe you can describe that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 6: He just pretty muchset it in terms of the what happens is the condition comes up differently in every generation. So in Grady's case, Grady styles junior, he had regular arms that ended with the best way of describing it would be if you think of mister Spock had, you know, putting the vulcan symbol up, which actually is is based on actually that's actually based on on on a Jewish symbol that Leonard Meimoy brought to the table. But if you think about the you know, the the the four fingers, you know, separating I'm doing it right now, that's pretty much the way that the clause looked. And in terms of in in in Grady's case and in most instances, the condition in terms of the legs would come out where right below the knee, there's nothing else. You just have again a fusion of the bonees and and and the flesh, et cetera, et cetera. And so as a result, people who suffer from this condition wind up living rather yes, living with with the wheelchairs so to get them around. However, and this is very important. However, because of the fact they have this condition, they are they become so powerful in their upper body that they can they can uh. I was gonna say locomotes, but there's no such word. They could move around just on the basis walking around, you know, like like like a chimpanzee does, on their hands, and they become extremely powerful in their upper body, extremely powerful, and they are capable of doing every single thing that all of us can do, including shooting a gun, which of course will become relevant later on.
Speaker 2: Now this guy knows the carnival life, and he to to explain that he grew up in this as well, and then he had Grady Styles, or he had a son named Grady as well, and he had a son. So name the siblings there or the family that he has that is afflicted with this disorder, and then tell us what their life was like in terms of we already said that there are carnival people. But did Grady Styles grow up in this as well and then figured this was the thing to continue with his family?
Speaker 6: Yes, yes he did. What happened was his father, who was known as the lobster Man, same condition, same situation. When Brady was born in Pittsburgh. By the age of six or seven, he was put on the carny stage by his dad, and he grew up in the car and he figured, hey, man, I got to go through it. My kids have got to go through it. So when he married Mary Teresa Stiles, he had he had a couple of kids. Uh, he had Donna. Donna was normal, I had no you know, she doesn't have the genetic conditions. Then came Kathy, who has the same condition. He put Kathy on the stage with him at a very early age. And then after Kathy, what occurred was that he divorced to Mary Teresa Styles and he married a woman named Barbara, and he had another child with her who became who was known as Little Grady, though he would be called his former name is Grady Styles the Third. He had the condition, and so eventually you had at one point you had three three members of the Lobster family, Grady Stiles Junior, Grady Styles the Third, and Kathy on on the platform or stage at the same time. But the kids didn't take to it the way that their dad did. But he nevertheless, he felt that that was the way to go and this was how he made his living and he did quite well with it for many, many, many many years.
Speaker 2: Now, what was it like growing up for Grady Styles Junior? What was it like growing up for him? Like you talk about that you know there was certain there was fame, and he made this adjustment, and his father had made the adjustment. It was a family tradition and it came with certain perks. But really describe what that life was really like being this freak and as a result, what was his character soon developing in say his teen years, what was his character really like?
Speaker 6: His character is I like to say, was the op was the flip side of the La Man. Where the elephant Man in real life and in the film that mel Brooks produced was an individual who had this freakish appearance, but inside was this incredibly sensitive, wonderful human being. Gravy Styles was the direct opposite. He was as freakish on the outside in his behavior in many ways as he was in the inside. So he was put on the platform by his dad when he was seven. He wound up growing up with people gawking at him throughout the nineteen thirties, forties and into the early fifties, and he got very smart about using what we would now turn a disability to his advantage. And so he would appear in the carny and whenever he was off stage, however, he would try to make sure that he wore gloves because he didn't give it away for nothing, and he wound up growing up incredibly bitter about his condition. Yet he made a lot of money at it, and he also became a life mostly for most of his life, a lifelong alcoholic, and whenever he drank, he was an incredibly brutal human being to those around him. However, when he didn't drink, he was extremely charming. He was extremely likable. And there is still people as we speak, some of whom may be listening in Gibsonton, Florida, really liked Grady a heck of a lot except but to his family, this guy was he was a piece of crap, and he was abusive physically and emotionally to his wife. He was abusive emotionally to his children. But as far as I know, and the evidence that I was able to come up with, he wasn't physically abusive to them, but he was extremely abusive in all ways to his life.
Speaker 2: Now, they were married for quite a few years and then, as as her will, she left him and divorced him. And this will be important later when we talk about this as well. So she had enough and she left him was and so then he remarried. Tell Us about this interim period where she leaves, Teresa leaves and then Barbara comes into the picture. Tell Us he must have had the charm on the fair amount in that period of time, didn't he?
Speaker 6: Yes. What occurs is that is that he abused it. He already has. He's living in Pittsburgh and eventually they moved to They were still watering Gibsonson, but for the most part they're living in Pittsburgh. And what occurs is that his his daughter Donna, uh, because it gets to be sixteen years old. Kathy is younger. He's still living with with with Mary Teresa styles his first wife. But Donna can't stand what's going on, and she's the normal one. She wants to get out, so she winds up getting engaged with a young man. And Grady takes exception to this. He feels like she's going to be deserting him. And what happens is on her it's really very tragic. On her wedding night or wedding day, rather, she comes home after they've gone shopping for some you know, for her dress and so forth, and she's with her future husband who's seventeen.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 6: She goes, he approaches the house by him, and Grady is waiting for him in the parlor of the house with a rifle. And Grady was a death shot despite the affliction that he grew up with, and he kills the guy cold blood, and this is like incredible, And Donna winds up cradling the head of her future and never to be husband in her arms, and he dies in her arms, bleeding out on the street. And the state of Pennsylvania charges Grady with murder, and there's a trial and eventually he's found guilty, and because the judge takes pity on his condition, he gives him probation and he doesn't go to jail, and soon after Theresa well, at that point, Theresa has already divorced him, okay, or rather Grady has divorced her. Excuse me, I'm getting ahead of myself. He's living with Barbara. But Grady gets sort of a second chance after this trial, and he turns around and starts courting his first wife Mary Teresa again, and she decides to go back with him. So, in other words, after a cold blooded murder, she decides to go back with him, allegedly because he's so charming and he's starting to pay bills and she told me all this. By the way, we did a tremendous amount of the discussion together, and so he goes back with me, and which is sort of weird because in between can make this stuff up. Then, while Grady's married to Barbara Mary, Teresa winds up marrying midgeard Man. That was his name, Harry Glenn Newman, Sr. Wonderful human being, great guy. I loved him and he treated her wonderfully. But Teresa had problems with midget Man. She had to do a lot of thames for him because of his lack of height. And of course this was a different period of time.
Speaker 7: Step into the world of power, loyalty and luck.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna make him an offer you can't refuse.
Speaker 3: We're family, canoli's and spins mean everything.
Speaker 8: Now you want to get mixed up in the family business.
Speaker 3: Introducing the Godfather at Champa Casino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather slot.
Speaker 8: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 3: Play the Godfather now at Champacasino dot com.
Speaker 9: Welcome to the Family vdW Group. No purchase necessary. I believe we're bribited by loss he terms and conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 1: Hello, it is a Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on Chumpa Casino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumpa Casino coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumpa Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonus. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the chumber line.
Speaker 2: No, we're necessary Where everybody lost in terms of conditions eighteen plus, people were.
Speaker 6: Not as accepted as they are today, and as a result, she divorced him and she goes back with great.
Speaker 2: Now, how long are we talking about he's she's back married with him. And you said you had the conversation with her her motivation were you? Did it sound genuine? Did it made sink? Did it make sense to you? Why her motivation for going back was she sincere.
Speaker 6: You know what I love about you. You always ask great questions and to make me think, hmmm, I'll get it. I'll give you the answer that I think. You know, I didn't play it in the book, but i'll you know. I'll tell you what I think, which is, I think she went back with him because he was willing to pay the bills. And there's no and also there's no Grady. Grady was one of the most charming human beings. He He's a carnate guy. Everybody that I met in Gibsonton would tell me how charming Grady was and he I think she went back with him because of the fact he was paying the bills. I think there's no question there was love between them, and he had a very magnetic personality. I mean, to this day, I have met people who saw Grady on the carnival circuit as Lobster Boy, and it's idelibly etched in their memories. And I don't think it's just because of the condition. I think it's because of Grady's ability as a performer, which and something he passed on to his son. And I think that. So, to answer your question, I think she went back with him for a variety of reasons, but I think the dollars and cents of it had a lot to do with it, Plus the fact, I might add that he was sober at this point, he stopped drinking, He was not not violent, he was at that point he was a good person, right, And so she figured he turned over a leaf and she went back with him. At least that's what she told me.
Speaker 2: Right now in this this is nineteen eighty eight, I guess they get remarried from correct, and then how long before he's back to his old ways of watching TV in his underwear and drinking and smoking and cursing and being abusive.
Speaker 6: Pretty quickly, it happened, very very quickly. She winds up getting back with him just about that period of time, and the family is still Kathy's are living with at that point. It's the family is Grady, Theesa, Kathy, Little Grady, and Harry Glenn Newman Jr. Who again the human blockhead, who was her son from the marriage her marriage to midget him. Donna had already gotten out of the house as an adult and married a fella named Joe. But they all worked together in the carneye. So from that period of time, or rather during that period of time eighty eight to ninety two, they were touring throughout the United States and Canada as a unit, and Grady ran something which I found very fascinating because I didn't know anything about. You know, what do I know about the Carnival. I'm from Brooklyn, for God's sakes, you know, the Carnival with the Brooklyn Rodgers, you know, but now was before my time. Excuse me, and and and I'll probably I'm gonna I'm gonna get a lot of flak for that one. But anyway, in any case, what happens is they tour and Grady has a thing called that ken and one it's and I deal with it in the book a lot, which is very interesting. It's like ten shows, ten shows or illusions in one. So for the for the price, for whatever price you're paying when you go to the Carney, you get these illusions. And some of these illusions are pretty damn interesting. Like you've probably seen some of this stuff on TV and other places. Like one of them is like with a girl. There's a girl, she turns into a gorilla. Yes, exactly, the girl turns into the gorilla. They had that they had Grady himself on the platform. They had the Animal Oddity Show, which was run by Kathy and her husband Terrell, wonderful guy, and a couple of other things. And these are the things, you know, and this is what attracts people. And it's a heck of a show. I mean, you know, we you know we're gonna get you know, this is all before of course YouTube and all that. Are you going to get anything like that for you know? And I might add they also had so this was the last season they went out in nineteen ninety two. Grady had a man named Merl mccobin whose nickname was Merman the Magician. He did magic and he did fire eating, and they got really really tight together and he would later become very crucial in terms of giving me information about Grady's background. So he had all these things going down, and you know, I'm discussing with you right now, I'm saying to myself, you know what I wish i'd seen it. You know, it would be cool stuff.
Speaker 2: Absolutely now there is We didn't talk about the living arrangements. This is a trailer in this Gibsonton and the whole family doesn't live in the one trailer. So describe the sort of a living arrangements that become important or aren't important to the story too.
Speaker 6: Sure, there's three trailers, there's one trailer, and this is on a trailer park. It gives the thing as a community where where it's it's the trailers are on regular streets. And what they would do is they build a trailer and then they build extensions as they made more money, et cetera, et cetera. So he had one trailer where Mary Teresa Stiles lived with Grady and Grady Jr. In the back was another trailer where Kathy lived with her husband Terrell and her at that point, her three year old porter. I guess flipped this up, by the way, because I knew we'd be talking at that point. Her three year old daughter. Her name is Misty. She's not twenty three years old, so and I can't believe that, but and Missy's when the condition came out, and Misty, it was so bad. I did when I did this interview, the condition was so bad and I felt so awful. He was literally like when you looked at her, she had like a lobstercor attached to her shoulder. So she didn't actually have a full arm. Okay, again pointing out how it turns out differently. They lived out in one trailer, and then there was a third trailer, which was like a travel trailer, and that's where they stored the illusions. And there was aroused about named Marco Eno who lived in that trailer. And uh so you had essentially three trailers on the same property.
Speaker 2: What what's a roaster boat?
Speaker 6: By the way, besides the fact that it's a movie with Elvis Presley, uh, it's after that. Is the dude or dudes that sent the carney, they're they're they're they're a muscle, you know, they set up they set up the tents, the you know, they they you know, they're the dudes that you might find uh in the in the the wagon, the wagon where you know, they're selling the food, that sort of thing. You know, they're the guys that move things around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so tell us what Theresa her state of mind is here is and and sorry, what is what is their state of mind that? And what what is the some of the relationships that she is developing here? Uh as she sees this new marriage of this latest marriage going sour.
Speaker 6: Well, what happens is Grady continues every time he's drinking to be abusive, and his clause are as such, and I detail it in the book where they were weapons. Really they were very, very hard. And the important thing to realize is he's not disabled, not in the way that we use that term today. He could walk as well as you or I could on his feet, I'm sorry, as well as urai can on our feet. He could walk on his clause. And if you've got slapped with his claw, you go him back against the wall. That's the sort of situation. So he's slapping her around and he's being very abusive to Teresa, and she decides that she can't take it anymore. That's what she said at trial. She claimed that she could and leave him. She had left him before, but she claimed she could not leave him because it was she would later claim battered wife syndrome. And so what she does is she takes money that she has gotten through various means, and she takes fifteen hundred dollars gives it to her son, Harry Glen Newman Junior, the Uman blockhead. She says, listen, you know I need some help here to get rid of Grady and he takes the money and he gives it to a kid who lives in the same trail parks. Seventeen year old kid named Chris Wyant tells him what he wants, wants Grady killed, and that's it. You know, he says, Okay, I want Grady killed. I want my stepfather killed. And it makes a deal and gives the kid the money. Kid goes out and purchases a gun, and then other things happen right after that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he gets the gun from another kid, and yes he's a professional, real professional hit going on here.
Speaker 6: But yeah, well, actually he buys the gun. He doesn't buy the gun from a kid. It's actually an adult, and he buys it further south and Apollo Beach, where again we're on the west coast of Florida. But he and the gun he buys. You know, we're not talking to Cornees with forty four magnum, you know, the most powerful handgun in the world. You know, we're talking a piece of crap. I think it was a thirty eight. I can't I can't even remember. It's not important. But he buys a piece of craft gun. You know, it pays a couple of hundred dollars for it. That's as stupid Chris is at this point. And he gets the gun and he makes the plan to come to the house and he's going to kill Grady. And at one point there's some talk between him and UH and Harry Bilin Newman Jr. About calling to hit off, but it doesn't happen. He decides they they decide to go ahead with it. And so there's going to be a murder unless something intervenes, and of course, you know, unless it's the movies, that's not going to happen.
Speaker 2: So what is tell us about the Faithful Evening itself? What set the set the stage for you know, Rady Styles he's in the trailer, Teresa's there. Tell us how they hatch this plan and what goes down and what what their plan is to happen, and what does actually happen.
Speaker 6: The plan, what happens is this they Teresa decided, Teresa decides to leave the trailer. I'm just going to report this, and she's in the trailer. She will later tell the police that she decides to visit Misty, the granddaughter, and the other trailer with Kathy because Misty is not feeling well, and so she decides to leave with Harry Glenn Newman junior, her son. However, she leaves Grady the third in the trailer, allegedly asleep in a different room. Okay, so now you've got and and what So what occurs is this They've watched a video of the film Ruby not to be a film by the way, with with Danny Iello playing what's his name? Help me out here Dan the dude that shoots Lee Harvey.
Speaker 2: Oswald Oswald, Jack Rubin.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, Jack Ruby, thank you. So Danny Iello is playing Jack Ruby, and they're watching this film and they leave and the and Teresa says, I'm going to go out and visit Misty. She leaves with Harry. They go out. They go into the other trailer with Kathy. Kathy, I might add is an is what they call in an unundicted co conspirator, which means the state decided not to charge her, though allegedly she had knowledge of what would occur. And so Chris Wyant comes up to the house. This is old planned. He steals in through the back door of the trailer. He comes into the main room. Grady's sitting there watching TV. He's a he's in his underwear, as you point out, he's watching Ruby. Grady goes through that and he looks around. He says, Chris Wyant, and he tells him to leave and out back. Marcoweno, who's in that other trailer that I described. Suddenly, here, pop, pop pop, three gunshots. Marcolino runs out, runs into the trailer where Kathy is with Teresa and says, I you know what's going on here? And they think it's gunshots, and so Marco and.
Speaker 2: He go.
Speaker 6: He approaches the trailer and he goes into the trailer and he discovers Grady Stiles junior lobster Poy, slumped over in his chair with three neat bullet holes in the top of his head. Dead and allegedly still sleeping in the back room is Grady Styles the third, his son. I'm just reporting right jumping huh Now, armink I said, that's something, isn't it, Dan?
Speaker 2: Yes it is, Yes, it is. And now the story gets a little more complicated. Now police are called to the crime scene, and obviously they are doing some questioning. How do they proceed and what developments happened?
Speaker 6: Kind of quickly, Well, it's funny you're asking this question right now because this is a case. The last time I spoke to the investigating officer, Detective Michael Willette. Actually he was a detective then he eventually retired from the department as a captain of detectives. I had spoken to him in about eighteen years. But I'm doing this segment. I'm taping a segment of the TV show called Evil Kin about Lobster Boy at the end of next month. So I actually called Wilette and we got to chat about this, and you know, it was like, you know, old homely because we were very friendly. And is what happened. The police are called. Michael Lett comes into the trailer and and he looks at what's going on, and he sees the body slumped forward. By that time, the techies are there, and he immediately does what cops are supposed to do, which is says, okay, who would do this? And he begins to wonder, does some preliminary questioning of the family. They claim that he has no enemies, that Grady has no enemies, and it takes them about he and his partner fig Figuretto. Takes them about twenty four hours before they double back and they start questioning the family again and that's when they begin to discover Grady's abusive behavior when he's to and it doesn't take them very long to get Harry Glen Newman Jr. To tumble and say what really occurred. And once he does that, then they go to Teresa. And it isn't a situation where people are saying I didn't do it. They rarely admit to it. But Teresa says she was pushed to it because he was so abusive, and at that point she is then charged with murder. Harry Glen Newman Junior Is charged with murder. The trigger man, Chris Wyant, is charged with murder. And then it's up to the court system in Hillsborough County, Florida to figure out how to try these individuals. And they make a decision to try them all separately, and well, they won't tried. And what happens is they're able to try them. They can try it for well, they get tried for second degree murder. It's well some of them. It's like one of them gets tried for first, one of them gets tried for second. You know, it's it's so weirder, you know, the way the court system works at least here, and that's what occurs, and it doesn't. As I said, it doesn't take very long, so Mike will let to figure out what's going on. But I might say that I think it's an excellent piece of police work because he gets one to inform on the other, and then it becomes a cause celebra because Teresa engages an attorney, Arnie Levine, who's very big in that area in Tampa, and he decides he's going to use a very very unique defense, at least for that period of time, got in wife syndrome in the case of a cond got killing only the fourth time at that point in nineteen ninety three, I'm sorry nineteen ninety four that it has been used in the United States. It's pretty interesting when you think about it. You know, batted wife in German the case of contract killing and what follows is a four star trial. I mean, it's a real Carnival trial. I might get a real Carnie.
Speaker 2: Well. You know what's interesting too, is that we skipped over is that there was so much controversy in this that she did get out on bail temporarily and then the division. You know, so there was enough, I guess you know. Again, it wasn't. It wasn't a foregone conclusion. They were putting a lot of weight on this manslaughter rather than so she fared better than the other, the other two and so and again thanks to the lawyer for sure. So tell us about the carnival nature of the trial.
Speaker 6: Oh boy, I was cutting my teeth in those days. It was only my I think it was only my second murder case. And uh, it was, it was, it was. It was a big carnival. What occurs is that you have in the court in the visitors gallery. Well, actually no, you didn't. They were not in the visitors gallery. What happens is, well, at least in Florida, I don't know any other state, but if you're going to testify in a trial, you're not allowed to go into the courtroom. So but you have either in or outside the courtroom, depending upon what they're going to get courtless witnesses. You've got You've got Harry Glenn Newman, senior midget man. He's in a wheelchair. You've got Kathy the daughter, she's in a wheelchair. Uh, You've got Grady Styles the third, who is little Grady he's in a wheelchair. And let's see. Then you've got Terrell Berry, who is the husband who ran the animal oddity show. Torell is normal. And of course you had Donna, who is the saddest person in the bunch, because I got to talk to her about how Grady. When I say Grady, I mean I mean lobster boy, how he had killed her fiance back in Pittsburgh, you know, many years before. And so you have all of these individuals, either inside or outside the courtroom. And Mary Teresa Styles is sitting at.
Speaker 7: The step into the world of power, loyalty and luck.
Speaker 8: I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.
Speaker 3: With family, canoli's and spins mean everything.
Speaker 8: Now you want to get mixed up in the family business.
Speaker 3: Introducing the Godfather at Champa Casino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world or the Godfather Slade.
Speaker 8: Some day I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 3: Play the Godfather now at Chumpa Casino dot Com.
Speaker 8: Welcome to the.
Speaker 9: Family vdW group. No perches necessary. If we were premitted by loss hee terms and conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 4: You're dedicated to building a bright financial future, Grow your investments with Millibank's high Yield Savings account. Earn a highly competitive annual percentage yield with no fees or minimums. Getting started is simple to download the app, link your account and start growing your money. Welcome to a new way to save more for the things that matter most. Welcome to Millibank, visit Milli dot bank or download the Milli app today.
Speaker 6: Defense Table with Annie Levine and what happens is well, a couple of things happen. First. First major thing that happens during it, Well, you've got Nidgetman testifying. He testifies to Grady's cruelty. Then you have Grady the third he gets on the stand, Little Grady at that point he's seventeen, and to show the ability of Robster Boy to be abusive physically, he has Little Grady to a handwalk in front of the jury. And so the TV cameras are capturing all this and that sort of thing. And it's just about at that point that I get involved directly in the case as a participant. Am I getting out of myself? No?
Speaker 2: No, go ahead, he's muzzled.
Speaker 6: You go ahead, want me to go ahead?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 6: Okay? Yeah, absolutely, all right, Okay. Here's what happens. At the very beginning of the trial, Arnie Levine sends it out a videotape those days it was videotaped today. You know, I guess c D whatever we excuse me, I'm sorry with YouTube, Dan fout me old Dan, okay, and he sends out a videotape. And on the videotape, it's quite interesting. It's Grady wrestling with little Grady, you know, like like a father and a son wrestling, you know. And you can hear kidd saying Yiddish word meaning kidden around in the background. You can hear Mary Teresa Stiles. You can hear Kathy Mary Teresa Stiles says, hey, Grady, break the whole meaning can She's look when she says Grady, she means a little Rady. Okay, no big deal, right, I mean, you know you've got a kid. You know you might wrestle with the kid, right, It's no big deal.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And I get this video tape just like everybody else in the press, and I just, you know, I pass it into the you know, into into the box. Go to Florida. I live. I live in Upstate New York. I go with to Florida. I go to the trial. Next thing, you know, at the trial, they showed the videotape. Arnie Levine shows it to the jury, but he shows it without sound. And when you looked at it without sound, it look without sound. It looks like Grady is being brutal to his son. And at the end of the proceedings that day, I woke up to Ron Haynes, who's the who's the state's attorney, And I'm not, you know, I just you know, I said, And I talked to everybody. It's my personality. And I said, Ron, I said, my video tip's got sound. He says it can't sound. I said it does. He said, well, then send for it. Let's take a look at it. And I and I walk in that day. I walk out and I'm going to walk into the to the parking structure. I got my car park I'll never forget it. Because I get to the elevator and I put it the butt and I go, oh man, I use a different word. I'm not going to use it on radio, even though we're on you know, internet, And I said, oh man, I said, I don't know what just happened. See, I went to film school University of Southern California Film School. So I'm very aware that when you have video or film with sound, it's completely different than when it's without sound. And I went, wait a second, If you have the sound, it's not brutal. If you don't have the sound, it is brutal. They took the sound off, they doctored it so that people would think it's brutal and they would feel sorry for Mary, and they would come back without convict there. And at that point, Dan, I had one of the hardest moments of my life. I sent her the tape. Ronnie Ain't said to me, you get that tape, you call me. And I had people telling me not to give it, not to become part of the case. As you know, journalists are not supposed to be part of the case, right, And the tape came, and I didn't know what to do. And at the day that it came, and I've never spoken about this publicly, this is the first time I had been up for tenure at a place called Hosta University in New York, where I taught journalism. The day that it came, I was denied tenure because my degree was in film not journalism. I was told I wasn't qualified to teach journalism because I didn't have a degree in it. I looked at the tape and I said, wait a second, if I'm not qualified to teach journalism, how come I just came up with a piece of evidence that can lead to the conviction of the killer if I turn it over to the prosecution.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, And so Dan, I had to figure out what I was going to do because, you know, thank god, the death penalty wasn't on the table. So I have to figure out what am I going to do because if I turn this tape over, I know it's going to lead to the conviction and I'm going to become part of it, and the media is going to dalify me. You know, I know the way the media works. Yeah, so, I mean, you know, some people would consider me part of the media. So I have to decide what to do.
Speaker 2: And what was your decision?
Speaker 6: Well, then I sat there in that hotel room in Tampa.
Speaker 10: And I didn't know what the hell to do, and I didn't know who to call. I didn't know who to talk to, I didn't know what to.
Speaker 6: Do, and came to me at that point, I went back to my childhood. One of my heroes growing up was Clayton Moore as the Lone Ranger for real, and all I could think was what would the lone Ranger do? And the answer came quickly, The long Ranger would serve justice regardless of personal consequences. And I felt then, as I do now, that the one thing that sacrisanct in our system is the jury system. That the jury had the right to hear all the evidence untainted. And so I copied the tape. The next day, I went in and I gave the tape before trial to Ron Haynes, the prosecutor, and he said to me, this is now evidence in a murder trial. He went into court he said to the judge, I'd just gotten a hold of a copy of the tape with sound. I want to show it. The judge said, how did you find this tape? And he said, Fred Roseen is writing a book on the case. And I stood up in the courtroom and you could have heard a pin drop. The family looked over at me like they wanted to kill me. They let him threats against me, but you said, okay, let's get the tape cued up and As he was doing it, Arnie Levine, the defense attorney, came over to me, leaned over the slatted rail divider and said, you mother, you know what you're effing up. You're effing up my murder case. And I had my tape recorder going and I looked at the guy and he was ready to punch me out. And I looked at him and I said, you're messing around with the jury system, you're messing around with evidence, and you're talking to me this way. And Ron Haynes came over to him and said, Arnie, he's recording this, and he pulled him away. He was ready to hit me, which I was sort of hoping because I was going to take the punch because I figured if he punched me out, then I'd owe him. And then they bought the jury in. They showed the tape and eventually Grady was convicted. I'm sorry, Mary was convicted. And when the jury was pulled afterwards, they said the thing that decided them to convict her was the videotape that I had produced.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a double whammy for them because they see the defense lawyer lying, yes, you know, I mean, it's a travesty to do something of that order. It would have been better for him to not acted underhandedly like he had and let the chips fall as they were. He would have a much better chance. But you did do the right thing, and that is the right thing, that's the right to say, that's well.
Speaker 6: You know, in journalists can.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I can't. You have to have you have to have that higher ethic because as we know from court cases, we've seen injustice and we will be talking about another extraordinary spectacular case of injustice very soon. But you have to do the right thing, your honorable thing, because the courts lots of times, by their own definition, that's not their job. So someone has to have that that task, and especially when that opportunity is there for you. It may you know, maybe journalists aren't supposed to be part of the story, but then again it's probably a once in a lifetime opportunity because you're normally not in that kind of situation. So I applaud you for doing the right thing. And of course it makes for an even more interesting story too, doesn't it.
Speaker 6: It does? But I and I thank you for saying that, because it was a very it was the most difficult decision of my life.
Speaker 2: It's confused now now with with Teresa. She really did benefit though in terms of she did get this bail and then she she she get her She began her sentence in ninety seven. So and so she was what is the prospect of her parole date or is that any kind of possibility for getting that kind of release someday?
Speaker 6: You're not gonna believe it. She's been out for over ten years. There you go. She she served. She only served a couple of years. You see. The thing is Ron Haynes was just an incredibly compassionate prosecutor. He had offered her five years if she played guilty. She said no, So she went to trial, she was convicted. They gave her, you know, for time served, for the time that she was incascerated before she got bailed. She said maybe three years. She was out. By the time I Take the Knee documentary on this case in two thousand and one, she was already out. However, Chris Wyant, the hit man, he served about eighteen years. He's out. The only person that's still in jail is Harry Glen Newman Jr. Who is least culpable because he gave the money to Chris. He was also offered five years, but Mary Teresa's Stiles spoke to him for her son. She was so angry at the system she wouldn't make the deal, and as a result, he got convicted and sentenced for life. And he's in jail in Florida for life, which is a shame. It's an absolute shame. And he didn't deserve it. He really didn't deserve it. So two out of the three year out and in fact, if you know this show Evil Ken for the Investigation Discovery Channel, they're going to be contacting some of the family and seeing if they want to be on the show. And you know, I've I've told him, I said, that's great. I said, to make sure we're not in the same studio at the same time. Otherwise I'm calling Tony Stark and I want his armor, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's very interesting too. You were talking about them being on the HBO series Carnival. But also Kathy has appeared in Tim Burton's Big Fish and another Firecracker. Yeah, another movie called Firecracker, and and and apparently too that there is some still some performing going on in that family.
Speaker 6: Excellent well, boy, Dan, that's why you're you're much journalist that I am. I didn't bother looking that up keeping on IMDb.
Speaker 2: Huh, there's lots of stuff, you know, there's lots of stuff. So it's an amazing story.
Speaker 6: He compelled me to. Yeah. I mean, you know, the family, the performers, the performers, and look, you know, you got to make a living, right Yeah, and and uh, you know it's it's uh, you know, it's it's it's some time ago. But I think this case seared itself into anybody who was involved in it. It seared itself into everybody's heart. If you were involved in this case, you're involved emotionally. I mean, I interest my dad.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I was going to say that it was a sad sort of ending too, is that there was no pallbearers at the funeral. This guy was maybe not so loved.
Speaker 6: Well, see that that's more something that's perpetrated by the family. The fact is there were people in the community that did like them, and I spoke to them, you know, I mean, if you're going to do a few as you will, you know, as anybody knows, if you're going to do a funeral, you let people out people that like them. Okay, it wasn't a question of that people didn't like him, it was you know, I'm sure it was more a question of they just didn't let people know about it, you know. And uh, I mean, look think about it. I mean it's like, Okay, these people perpetrate his murder, and now they're going to be his pollbearers. Got I got a little problem there, guys. You know, you know, but I did go to I did go to his Uh. I did go to his grave as part of pull it research. Whatever or I can tell you is this, I don't care what he did in his life. Okay, he didn't deserve to be murdered. Nobody deserves to be murdered, period, and and and and it's wrong and uh, you know, and and there's one other thing that you know, and you know, I'll leave this. You know, if people are listening and they're interested in buying the book, which is on Amazon Kindle, you'll find some interesting stuff that we haven't discussed at the very end, and which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the night that he was killed, Grady Stiles was not a menace to anybody, no matter what he did in his life that night. He was not a menace to anybody. And that's on the book and you.
Speaker 2: Can see it.
Speaker 6: I mean you can see it, you can smell it it, you know. And I always felt like, you know, our job is Dan when we're doing this work and your true crime author as well as I am, we speak for the dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well that's that's true, absolutely, because a lot you know, it is customary for people. And again sometimes the big bad media to depict people as you know, somehow have it coming to him and wrong place at the wrong time, or or they because they'll use the they'll they'll note some people as well, the innocent victim. Well, they're all innocent victims. I mean, for the amount of people that we can say, okay, absolutely, but I don't know. I I'd like to just think of all people, no matter what their foibles, whatever they're they're past, they're a murder victim. And certainly that's part of our task, is to find out the truth because we do speak for those people. Sometimes the last cline that shall not kill. Now speaking of speaking for the dead, and we are going to get to this case of Kendrick Johnson and we've had a couple programs already on True Murder about this specifically, and we've had a little bit of well, we've had developments. Let's let's get right to that. Give us a sort of a recap for those people that don't know anything about Kendrick Johnson, and they'll be motivated to go back in the archives and listen to some of the programs and do some of the research, and go online and look at Abony Magazine some of the articles that you've written already. So tell us give us a little synopsis of this case, and then we can get up to speed on what the latest developments are in this incredible case.
Speaker 6: On January the tenth, two benty thirteen, Kadri Johnson, seventeen year old African American teenager, walked into the gym at Lowndes County High School in Valdosta, Georgia, and he disappeared. He disappeared like he was taking off the face of the earth. The next day, coach Philip Pioblow's class discovered him in a rose up wrestling mac in the old gym at the school, and he was dead. His face was very distorted at that point. Pictures of his distorted face became viral on the internet. The family was devastated, as anybody would be. There were no suspects. The local sheriff, a guy named Chris Prime, claimed that he died by falling into the wrestling matt while reaching for a sneaker that he'd stored there, and died from something called positional asphyxiation, which simply means that he couldn't get out, there was a lot of pressure on his chest, he couldn't breathe, he died and that's that. And so what occurred after that was that the family, Kenneth and Jackie Johnson, very courageously protested on the streets of Aldosta that their son had been murdered and that the sheriff was not doing his job and that this was wrong. Subsequently, Kendrick Johnson was found to have died from positional association by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which is notoriously corrupt. And we have discussed this on this show before in the Gary Hilton case, and it is known in Georgia by many individuals how corrupt this organization is. And if they have any problems with what I'm saying, come and get me make my day. And so what occurs is that they claim that they do an investigation and they send out they do a pretensive investigation like it's a murder investigation. And during this investigation, during this investigation, they send a a detective to interview two boys who excuse me, one of seventeen. One is eighteen. Their dad is an FBI agent. And this dad, who's an FBI agent, was in charge of the Southwest Georgia Gang task Force and the individual the cops send out to through the investigation was part of this gang task force. Never declares conflict of interest, interviews the father, interviews the two boys, and it turns out that one of these boys has had two fights with Kendrick Johnson, the only individual we have come up with who has motive? Am I doing so far? Again? Pretty good?
Speaker 2: Tell us about the texts that were It's very compelling information.
Speaker 6: Okay, we'll be okay. There's a few things I want to say something publicly before I get to the text, which is in previous broadcast on the show, I was on with a private investigator in Ain't Baul Webster. Mister Wester had been had been employed at one point by Shavin King Junior, who was the first attorney representing the family. Subsequently, I discovered that what occurs is this in Webster had given me certain information regarding who the he claimed certain individuals were the perpetrators of this crime. However, what occurred was this, In November of twenty thirteen, Webster called me up and told me that my life was being threatened, and I was I couldn't tell. You know, I don't know. I don't know how anybody else would feel. But you know, when you hear somebody's telling you that there's been texts and emails and phone calls your life is being threatened, took me aback. Well, it took me about ten minutes during that phone conversation to find out that Webster was perpetrating a hoax. He thought this was funny. Subsequently, I said, wait a second, if he's pulling this crap, there's something wrong here. And I then investigated further, and I discovered that some of the individuals that he claimed were involved in this case as bad guys, were not. He was disingenuous to the nth degree. And further, I discovered that he'd already been by the time I started writing about the case, contrary to what he told me, he'd already been fired by Shadine King Junior as the private investigator in the case. So what I did was this, I kept going, got some new contacts in Valdosta, Georgia, and luckily these were wonderful contacts, and I got a tremendous amount of cooperation from people on Twitter, people in Valdosta, my researcher who helped me out as a New Jersey. There's one investigative reporter who I'm working with in Valdosta who's a woman who's incredibly brilliant. And the whine up. We found texts and guess what. There was a student in the gym who texted when the body was discovered, and he went to chapter and verse about what occurred that day. And then on Kendrick Johnson's birthday, October tenth, he texted that the body was taken out of the gym before the car and showed up hours before and the car and I himself and his report had said the body was moved, which means that when the Karna came on the scene over four hours after the body was discovered, they had taken the body out and guess what guys they put the body back in. And when I say they, I am talking about the Lownes County Sheriff's Department, specifically Chris Prime. This information was brought to the attention of Michael J. Moore, who is the United States Attorney for the Middle District of Georgia, who's opened an investigation into the case. And now it's up to mister Moore to decide whether he is going to charge Chris Prime and his investigators with corruption in this case, which he absolutely can do. So that's one of the things that's happening here. The second thing is this, and I'm hoping to write this piece for ebony dot com, which is this. I have discovered the motive, the means, and the opportunity for one of those two boys that I mentioned earlier, whose daddy is an FBI agent, to have killed Kendrick Johnson. And so that is something that I would like that I would like to write and what I would like to pursue further. I have information that has come to me about why Kendrick Johnson walked into that gym on January the tenth, how he was lured in there by somebody and there's one other point that I'd like to make publicly which I've written about, which is this. His school district was very quick to send out a press release saying, oh, and this is before the autopsies completed. Oh, he died from positional assixiation. You know what. The Lounge County superintendent is a man named Wes Taylor. It was his daughters who decid covered the body in the mat. Now I understand being a father trying to diminish your children's participation in a case to protect them. However, there is a greater interest here and a greater good, which is justice for a boy that was murdered. And that's where mister Michael Moore comes in. He needs to and he is dispatched rather five FBI agents to Lowndes County. They're blanketed Georgia. They're interviewing individuals who knows something about this case, and the hope is that they are going to come back with information that will lead to the indictment of the individual or individuals who have committed this murder. And if anybody who's reading this thinks this isn't murder, then I suggest you go see a Steven Spielberg film A guy named e t Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, this is a fascinating story of cover up, but it's also a very tragic story, but also an encouraging story of parents taking again justice into their own hands and demanding justice on the streets of Aldosta, but also at the courthouse of Aldosta, locking arms and and and daring them to arrest them. So these people have you know, your heart goes out to these people. A young, really good looking kid with a lot of promise in his life. And when you see the photos, it's a visceral reaction that his face was look, his teeth were knocked out. It was incredible. And like you say, the coroner, very powerful with the coroner says this is they didn't they didn't follow any kind of procedure. I'm supposed to be called immediately. So you've got one heck of a story going on here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let me just let me just correct something. His teeth were knocked out. What occurred was this when doctor William Anderson, who is an absolutely brilliant pathologist, was pulled in by the family, they breathed. What they did was in June of last year, they disanted the body they sent it to doctor Anderson in Orlando and he did the second autopsy. That's when he found that the organs were missing. Now that is what became the news. Okay, and doctor Anderson said to me, Fred, he said, everybody's going to pick up on this business of the organs missing. It's a red herring, he said. The fact is I read the first off, I read the report of the original autopsy by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. They claimed with lungs weighed the normal amount. He said, if it was positional asphyxiation, the lungs would filled with order, which means he didn't die from it. And doctor Anderson then did a dissection of Kate Kj's neck. He discovered that kJ died from one blow to his neck or it could have been pressure performed by a wrestling hold. Remember the two kids that I mentioned earlier, whose daddy's an FBI agent.
Speaker 5: Yes, just what.
Speaker 6: They're both wrestless. Okay, they're both wrestlers, and one of them is a is a brilliant football player. Okay, these are very strong, capable kids. So what we have and and the parents, Jackie and Kenneth Johnson, have been pushing by for justice by and tomorrow morning. If anybody is listening to what I'm saying, and you're out on the street of streets of Albosta, you're seeing from Corneus they're protesting, looking for justice. And the hope is this that Michael Moore no relation to the documentary film producer. That's why I always call Michael Jaymore to differentiate him from the dude from Michigan. Michael is going to he has said to me, and I believe him. I believe he's one of the few federal officials we have that's earning his salary. Mister Morning has said to me that he will go any place to get justice. He is investigating until I'll see otherwise. I as an American, I support what he's doing. As a journalist. I will always hold his feet to the fire. Which is what we have to do, isn't it, Dan. I don't care if it's you know, I don't care if it's right. It makes some difference if if it's you know, if it's a federal official, a member of you know, of Parliament, the Prime Minister, of the president. That's what we do, okay. And so what more is? What more is doing is gathering information. At the end of the day, whenever that is, he makes a decision, do I have enough evidence to indict? Personally, I think he's got enough evidence right now to go after the Lowndes County Sheriff's Department for turning up what occurred that day. And I might add, ladies and gentlemen that the corner said and the evidence is there, the cops compromise the crime scene, Dan, the kids found in the wrestling that you're ready for this? Do you know what they did with the wrestling that they coined it? Sure, they coined it in. And guess what besides the fact that his audience disappeared after the first of the popsy, he's clothing disappeared. We called that forensics' clothing disappeared. And guess what the video of him playing in that gym and facing his fate that disappeared. Excuse me and these quates in in v Algaska. The cops, the white power establishment think they're gonna get away with this crap. And the only way they don't get away with it is when people like us talk about it publicly the way that we are now. And we called them out and say Okay, you think you're gonna get it's not gonna happen. We're not. And the and the Johnson family has been out there in the street protesting, and I think that they that eventually we will get justice for Kate Day, because that's what this is about. We can't let something like this go on because quite frankly, if we let that happen, it can happen to any of our kids any place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that is it. You know, you pay a huge price for justice, and in fact, there is wrongful convictions constantly, but there's also these non convictions where if not for the family and then subsequently for people like yourself and private investigators and activists tweeting and commenting on a case like this keeping it alive because like you had mentioned in another interview that Valdosta is kind of out of the way, kind of isolated, and things can happen in small places with people with special interests, and so an incredible crime like this was just going to be covered up really easily without the efforts of the family first and then all the other people that were affected by seeing this travesty of justice. So we pay a high price for this, and we should demand that the system works the way it's supposed to work, and this certainly has you know, well, you've got the attention of Attorney General or the Attorney State Attorney Michael J. Moore. So that is testament that there's some validity to cover up, and that's why the heavy charges are being considered. So yeah, I wish the family luck there, and I think the added pressure that these lots of times, it's never underestimate people looking at this kind of case and demanding justice.
Speaker 6: So well, never never underestimate a journalist who hosts a radio show, you who is given this attention, and there are people out there who listen to your podcast all the time, and I've seen them quote it on Twitter. So I just want to say personally, thank you very much for your commitment to this case.
Speaker 2: Well, it's my pleasure because this is really if there is any kind of purpose to a show other than telling stories of justice and good police work and dedicated prosecutors and dedicated defense attorneys as well, and the psychopathic and twisted killers that are a part of these stories. But when you have this kind of again, travesty of justice, these are stories that obviously the audience is interested in as well, because we're all we'd all love to see justice actually happen the way we believe in this system. We know that this is a system that we have, and when we are participants in writing that wrong and understanding the difference between justice and injustice, that again, I think the true crime reader is that kind of passionate person and the person that listens to these programs, who authors tell their stories, that's the kind of person that they are. It's not a it's not a thrill seeking person. It's a person that's interested in the most serious type of history, and that is true crime.
Speaker 6: You know what that There's nothing I can say except that you're you know, you're very eloquent, and I couldn't you know, there's no way to say that any better than than what you've said. And uh and I couldn't agree with you more about the reader. I've discovered that too, on especially on Facebook, that there you know, there's a there's a group that I am part of talking true crime with Maria and these people are these people are incredibly dedicated to the truth and and and it's it's it's astonishing, it's really astonishing, and I'm just hoping that there'll be enough interest in this and I know you have an international audience that people will continue to pay attention to this particular case because there's many cases in the world. There's many cases all over the world. But if we start here and we're successful, it just keeps going. And because of the fact that you have an international audience, you make a difference. You make a difference in people's lives. So again, thank you very much for continuing to bring this case to the attention of your listening audience.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, Fred for those kind words. And I want to thank this the audience that tunes in and all the people that email me constantly and tell me just letters of support, comments on how much they they value the program and value the authors that come on and talk about their books and the stories, and the entertainment value of it all and the benefit of it, the educational aspects of it. Oftentime. You're picking the brains. I'm picking the brains of the people that are the experts in this area. And there's so many people fascinated by that. I wanted to say before we go to that. I'm very happy also to have Audible, the world's leading name in digital audiobooks as the sponsor of this program as well, and I wanted to tell people that listen to the program today that there's a thirty day free trial. If you haven't experienced audiobooks as of yet, Audible is the place to start, with over about one hundred and fifty thousand titles and growing. And they're also I didn't know this, but they're the leading producer provider of radio and television and audio versions of newspapers and magazines. So they really are the biggest name and information, education and entertainment in audiobooks. And for those people that again, an ebook is an experience. A paperback, of course, is what everyone grew up with.
Speaker 6: I grew up with, you grew up with.
Speaker 2: It's not going to go away. But an audiobook is really a completely different experience. And so with the very best narrators, Audible really does provide an experience that you just don't get. And there's a lot of people that are on the road or very very interested for various reasons. Some people are handicapped visually, people are on the road and basically got two hands on the wheel, and so they want to listen to audiobooks. There's all kinds of people, but if you haven't heard them, it's an amazing experience. It's really totally something that you haven't experienced. Sort of use that word again. And if you do visit audible please audible dot com slash true Murder tell them Dan sent you so again thirty day free trial and experience a free audio book right now and go see Audible an Amazon company. So thank you very much for that. And I wanted to thank you Fred for coming on and again sharing this story of the Kendrick Johnson because this is close to my heart. I know it's close to your heart, and I think the fans are and they've responded this way that they're very interested in being part of this story and seeing this to come to fruition because it's we've got this information in bits and pieces and very much a very unique experience, and I'm very very positive people will be very very interested in the book. And then getting down to the entire background and your involvement in this case. Again, you've stuck your neck out and you're making some claims and you're digging deep, and you're the leading purveyor of this in this case, I applaud you on that, and I want to thank you very much for coming on talking about Lobster Boy and talking about this case as well well.
Speaker 6: Dan, thank you very very much. As always, I love being on with you. I am going to check out Audible. I recommend that everybody else to who's listening to support Audible because that means it supports you. And all I can wish you is good health and happiness in this new year for all of us.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, and really, Audible is really just providing another way for people to enjoy the author's books. You know now that with the advent of published on demand and now with the books as we've just demonstrated with Lobster Boy, a book that might have been hard to find now is accessible everywhere and it's very reasonable prices. So it gives the true crime fan even even more to go back because nothing can match a story like Lobster Boy.
Speaker 8: It's just.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, this is just such a wild tale. I mean, with all these developments and in in No there was, you will never find this kind of freak show going on again. It's a slice of Americana and it's amazing, and.
Speaker 6: It's just I don't know what the Canadian Canadiana, I don't know. It's also part of Canada because he played Canada too.
Speaker 2: There's a famous movie actually I saw and it was the closest thing to this story here Lobster But I was so excited to read this book is that there was a movie that was only really collectors and it was I guess it was illegal to actually own, and of course I knew somebody that owned a copy of it. It was called Freaks, and I think it was shot in Toronto, and it was amazing. They said, you know, this would never ever happen again because of all the developments in medical techniques and people didn't stay as freaks, and people again you know a bore that kind of word, and the whole freak show kind of carnival thing that you described in Lobster Boy was kind of outlawed in Canada. But they did make this film and they actually used you know, the man with no arms and legs lighting a cigarette, and they and they employed all of these actors loosely in this and in this story, and so what an incredible tale. But this is about the close freak and Lobster Boy, so great.
Speaker 4: The freaks.
Speaker 6: Was was the film was from the nineteen thirties if we're talking about the same.
Speaker 2: Film, that's right, Yeah, absolutely, yeah Toronto. Well, I that's what I remember. I remember was nineteen thirty two. As you say, that's that's from my memory, but maybe not cost But what I don't know if that's for sure. I don't know if that's for sure. But I saw a copy, well like thirty years ago. So I saw a copy of The.
Speaker 6: Mid Here you go, huh wow, thank you. I gotta watch it. I've never seen it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much, Fred, and I hope to hear from you again soon. And I'm sure we'll be talking again soon because I know that that this Michael Moore will be we'll be doing something that will be encouraging to the family and all those people that are looking at this case very very seriously.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you again for your interest in and I'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Fred. Have a good night, you you sir, good night, good night.