Speaker 1: Vy she capital, my dear Watson, let us return to our humble a two.
Speaker 2: To one b Baker eight carin.
Speaker 3: From London. We present The Reigate Squires, A day for Radio by Michael Hardwick, based on a short story by Sir Arthur Kernan Doyle, The Reigate Squires.
Speaker 4: I see from my notes that it was on the fourteenth of April eighteen eighty seven that I received a telegram from Lyons telling me that Sherlock Holmes was lying ill there.
Speaker 1: Within twenty four hours I was in his sickroom. His iron constitution had broken down under the strain of a two month's investigation.
Speaker 2: And when I got him back to two to one Bee.
Speaker 1: Baker Sweet three days later, it became obvious to me that for all his love of London, you will be better off for a change in the country.
Speaker 2: Well, how are we.
Speaker 1: Feeling today, eh, I don't mind admitting it's left me feeling a bit knocked up.
Speaker 2: A bit knocked up.
Speaker 1: You'll be working on fifteen hours day average through Watson through.
Speaker 2: And now you're paying a penalty.
Speaker 1: Exhausted Still, I speard, all this is some compensation work there, all these telegrams. Congratulations still coming in by the bucket for those now really homes.
Speaker 2: You succeed where the police of three continents have failed.
Speaker 1: You outl over the most, the country's swindler in Europe at every point, and all you can say is oh though, let the politicians and the financiers do the rejoicing. The Netherlands Sumatra Company and its affairs are things of the past for me now. All I want, Watson, is a good rest.
Speaker 5: Well, I uh, a matter of homes. That's just what I wanted to have a word with you about Colonel Hayn old friend Deana mccre in Afghanistan. Well, he's taking my house down there, right it. He keeps asking us to go down for a bit of a break anytime we like. He's just reinge the invitation.
Speaker 2: And I thought a week or self springtime in the country might be just the thing on about it. Eh.
Speaker 1: I'm sure your friend means very well, Watson, springtime and sorry delightful. But can you see me lounging about on sofas being fussed to death by will meaning.
Speaker 2: It's a bachelor establishment home. Well, then hit of the final soda in the world.
Speaker 1: Talk whole night if you want to go Oh my, but loads when to keep out of the way and leave a man in.
Speaker 2: Pieces, that's what he prefers.
Speaker 1: How are you say, homes, you suppose his breakfasts come up to my standards? Oh, homes, Well, you'll come with Pavier Watson, just as soon as you can arrange to transport these weary old burdens of mind between baker streets.
Speaker 2: And ragged ah. What about this Dellinger Watson?
Speaker 1: A beauty here, one with a magnificent thing.
Speaker 2: He isn't it? I don't, I say? Hither you gather quite an armory bushel heavy hum. Yes, the most impressive collection I think, so, eh, well, never know when it might come in handy in these parts. I mean. Well, we've been having quite a scare lately.
Speaker 1: Watson, oct, one of our local squires, had his house burned into last Monday. No great damage, you know, but the fellers are still at.
Speaker 2: Clark, no clues. Colonel her not so.
Speaker 1: Far renton sect his library, turn the whole place upside down.
Speaker 2: Didn't get much of their pains though. What then? Well, if I can remember, and it'll.
Speaker 1: Make your love is two? Play did candlesticks and I will let her wait? Small operometer.
Speaker 2: A board of twine. Who is a volume of Pope's Homer?
Speaker 1: Well, the county police ought to be able to make something of that.
Speaker 2: What surely it's of no, No, you're here for a risk, remember dear me, Watson. Well, I suppose I've got to do what you tell me for a change. Yes, that's right. Holmes had this treatment for.
Speaker 1: Him in the front eary. You know regular Martinez is Watson. Well, thanks Bickness. Things were shifted.
Speaker 2: Then I'll see your left in peace. It's going to be a lovely yes, Charles, A big parton, sir, I was just going to ring for you. Well, what's a mether man?
Speaker 1: Have you heard the US at the cunninghams Not another burglary murderer?
Speaker 2: Jo? Who the JP is so on? Neither sir? It was William the coachman shot through the art. Who shot him? Oh? It was a burglars got clean away. It just fought the country window, they say, when William disturbed him, shot him dead and made of it was his Charles. Well, last night, sir, somewhere about twelve.
Speaker 1: Dead business all right, Charles, these things were now I ring for you later, very good, sir. Poor Cunningham leading squire about here. Decent fellow can be cut up about this. You know the men have been in hisself a year might be one of the same times that broke into the other place.
Speaker 2: Yes, I defended some local chapmans off.
Speaker 1: Ecton's and Cunninghams are just the places he would go for largest in these parts, you know.
Speaker 2: And the riches, well they ought to be. They've had a lot of the blood suck out of him in recent years. Oh, how's that.
Speaker 1: Well, they've had a law suo gragging on for no end of time. Old Exton has some claim on half of Cunningham's. His take, the lawyers have been heated with both heads. Well, if it's a local man, there shouldn't be much difficulty in running into her. Inspector follister, Oh, come in, inspector the morning knd of hate morning. I hope I don't intrude her. But we hear mister Holmes of Vegas streets here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there he is inspector, and this is doctor Watson. I know he's the major.
Speaker 1: Gentlemen, we we wondered if we could ask you to step across, mister Holmes.
Speaker 2: You've heard the news, I expect. Now look here inspector. As a medical man, I must tell you that my friend is far from haha.
Speaker 1: The fates are against Gill Watson. We were chatting about the matter and you came in, inspector. Perhaps you'd care to let us have a huge.
Speaker 2: Detail, ye won't you take a sitar, inspector.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you sir. Well, mister Holmes, we had no clue in the acton affair, but we've plenty to go on this time.
Speaker 2: Uh. The man was seen ah.
Speaker 1: When the alarm broke out, mister Cunningham had just got into bed, and mister Alick Conningham, that's his son, was smoking.
Speaker 2: A pipe in his dressing room. They both heard.
Speaker 1: William the coachman called to help, and mister Alick ran down in.
Speaker 2: His dressing gown.
Speaker 1: The that door was open, and as he got the foot of the stairs he saw the two men wrestling together outside. One of them private shot, the other dropped to the ground, and the murderer was off across the garden over the hitch. Mister Cunningham saw him too from his bedroom window as he reached the road. Couldn't young Erick catch him?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: It stopped to.
Speaker 1: Do what he could for William, so the followed got clean away a middle sized man dressed in some dark stuff. That's the description we've got. E did William sailing before he died?
Speaker 3: No, not a word.
Speaker 1: I suppose he walked up from the lodge to make sure everything was all secure.
Speaker 2: Frightful fellow, you know, sir, Yes, yes, this acton business certainly had us all.
Speaker 1: On our guard, and he called the chepard handed.
Speaker 2: It seems like it dot there. But one thing we did get was this inspector. I see that for these certainly, mister Holmes. It seems to be.
Speaker 1: A fragment of paper torn from a larger sheet. It was between the dead man's finger and thumb. So either the other chef tore the wrist of the paper out of William's head, or William tore this bit from a sheet he was holding.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 1: Can't see what Eiram was doing waving sheets of paper about.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: If you look at the words, though, it reads as if it's been some sort of appointment. Looks her at quarter to twelve. Then down here it says, learn what.
Speaker 2: This writing is of extraordinary interest?
Speaker 1: These are much deeper waters than I've thought. How's that, mister Holmes?
Speaker 2: Do you reckon.
Speaker 1: There was some sort of understanding between William and the burglar. William was to let him in, but they had a quarrel instead. It's not entirely impossible, but this writing, no, there's something about it that fascinates me. Hey, colonel, if you will permit me, I'll leave Watson and you will step dound to the inspector to put one or two little senses of mind of the test.
Speaker 2: You'll do nothing of the sort. I shall let you never fear Watson.
Speaker 1: Now deliver myself up to you in half an hour precisely, not a minute longer.
Speaker 2: Come along, Inspector. Let's be getting along.
Speaker 1: Well. And about time, Inspector half an hour mister Holmes said, that was exactly an hour and a half ago.
Speaker 2: Where is it?
Speaker 1: I have a few words to say to him, Well, doctor Watson as an actress.
Speaker 2: Fact, he's not come back when you was anything, sir, And mister Holmes.
Speaker 1: Sent me back here to ask you gentlemen to join him in the field outside. He was walking up and down there when I left him. He wants us all to go up to mister Cunningham's house together.
Speaker 2: What on earth for?
Speaker 1: Well, I have no idea Colonel between ourselves, Dr Watson, I think you're right to be concerned about mister Holmes.
Speaker 2: He seems to be well all excited. I don't like him with it all.
Speaker 1: I've seen him behaving some pretty odd ways at times when there's generally been some method behind his madness. Come on, hayd let's go to you mout this lunatic of ours. What my dear, Hello, I've had a charming morning this conflict. That idea of yours was a capital suggestion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've been up with to see the crime. I understand. Yes.
Speaker 1: Indeed, Colonel the inspector here and I made quite a little reconnaissance together as we did any luck way over. Well, we saw some very interesting things. I'll tell you what we did as we walked.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't walk too far us.
Speaker 1: First of all, we saw the body of the unfortunate William. There's no doubt that he died from a revolver. I didn't know there was any question about that.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's as well sub test everything, Colonel.
Speaker 1: Our inspection wasn't wasted. Well, then we had an interview with this Cunningham and his son. They were able to point out the exact spot that the murderer broke through the garden here.
Speaker 2: In his flight. That was of great interest. So what your investigation dared up to them?
Speaker 1: The conviction of the crime is a very peculiar one. Perhaps our visit now may do something to make it less obscure. Well, let's hope so inspect that. I think they both agreed that the fragment of paper in the dead man's hand is of extreme importance. Well, mister Holmes, it has got the very hour of death written.
Speaker 2: On it precisely? Whoever wrote that note of the man who brought William out of his bed at dead Are? But where's the rest of that sheet of paper? I examine every ench of the ground nearby for it. It was pawn out of the dead man's hands. Why was someone so anxious to get possession of it? Because it incriminated him just so? And what would he do with it?
Speaker 1: Thrust it into his pocket, most likely never noticing that the corner had been left in the rip.
Speaker 2: Of the corpse. Then again, the man who wrote it wouldn't have written it if he could have delivered the message by word of mouth. So who brought it or did it come through the post?
Speaker 1: Now that I can tell you, sir, we found out that William did get a letter by the afternoon post. It seems to have thrown the envelope away, though, Capital inspect that it's a pleasure to work with you.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, mister Holmes.
Speaker 1: Ah and here's the house here a Cunningham and other Cunningham nasty business, nasty.
Speaker 2: Business, good day hate ah Dr? What's my presumer? This is my son Eric? How do you do sir? How do you know they're still? Edit?
Speaker 1: Mister Holmes, it's me for you London as I could have a player. Oh, you must give us a little.
Speaker 2: Time, you know. Well, mister Cunningham, we have found one thing there was he think it right away? You feeling all right now? Jack? I can't apologize enough mister Cunningham. I'm afraid it's another of these confounded nervous attacks. Yes, Dr, what has been telling us? How ill you'll be? Wanted to call my tat for you? Well, perhaps in a little while you'd better be getting back homes. Since I am here, there's one little point i'd like to be sure about. We can easily verify. Oh very well, I.
Speaker 1: Should like to ask mister Ellick Cullingham where he was sitting when he heard William.
Speaker 2: Call for help. I was smoking in my disting room.
Speaker 1: The lamps were lit, the yes, And doesn't it strike you as extraordin that the burglar should break into a house at a time and he could see from the lights that the family was still at foot. A bit of a cool customer, perhaps, possibly, Well, we'll leave their speculation for the moment.
Speaker 2: There's something I'd like you to do, mister Cunningham, anything at all. Mister Holmes, I should like you to offer a reward.
Speaker 1: I've jutted down the bording here if you wouldn't mind reading it and sinning, fifty pounds would be quite enough.
Speaker 2: I think, certainly. I'll let me see it.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you, I tell you, mister Holmes, I'd willingly make it five hundred for that bumpinesss No, this is fine.
Speaker 2: But there's one little mistake.
Speaker 1: Oh, I scribbled into the hurry you begin, whereas at about quarter to one on Tuesday morning, and a tempt was made, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Will as a matter of fact, it was a quarter of the twill. Yeah me, of course, you're right.
Speaker 1: I don't allow myself to make elementary mistakes like that, mister Cunningham, do forgive me.
Speaker 2: Oh, quite all right, I'll correct it. No, no, no, no, I have a pencil here, Thank you Holmes. I must instid know, my dear Watson, I still have a few reserves. Letter. Now I suggest we all go over the house together. No, I feel much better, oh, mister Cunningham. I'll just have that.
Speaker 1: Note from my pocket book. This is, of course, of course, thank you. And now let us take a good look right well now, mister Holmes, this is my big here. I see my son the next all with the dressing room in between. Ah, yes, I should like to glance into the dressing room if you please. Of course, if you like, I should just like to see where the windows fast. Now with your permission, very well, m yes, I see, thank you.
Speaker 2: Now I think that is all. Yes, we can go down up. Oh, no, after you, my dear sir, thank you, Oh, my Colmes, it thank here.
Speaker 1: I'm afraid but you must have swept that the can't hold for the quick man before the carpet.
Speaker 2: Stay here, I use my hand, No no, no, I use mine. I can't think how it happened. I'll help you never mind, never mind, I'll ring for one of the servants to mop it up. What up? I think? Went home to the pair room? What's going down? The General's gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Restrect hollow murder of that coachman, I say, home, don't you get too far? No, colonel, Hater, if they who've gone to par this piece of paper will assure you that it's.
Speaker 2: A missing piece where you find it? It was where I was certain it must be. Look how he's gonna do? Drop that ad better? Ho, Miss Holmes says that something in what you say. I'll be able to make the home appelear you in a little while. Colonel, I suggest you and Watson go home now.
Speaker 1: Suddenly inspect them and I need a few words with our prisoners, and then i'll rejoin you.
Speaker 2: If it's quite convenient. You may expect me that for luncheon. There's glass a shady waiting boy. Oh stay too right anyway? Can I knows you? Good day, Hater? I hope you don't mind. Holmes asked me to come.
Speaker 1: I wanted mister Ax and a bit present while I demonstrated this small method to you.
Speaker 2: He has some call to be interested in the detail.
Speaker 1: I must say with all eager for this demonstration, homes Watson, and I was just agreeing with Haven't some destin different clue between us?
Speaker 2: To begin with?
Speaker 1: I must remind you that it is the highest importance in the arts of detection to be able to recognize which facts are incidental and which I'll vite quite close. Now I haven't the slightest dust, but the key of this whole mathe must be looked for in that scrap of paper from the dead man's hands.
Speaker 2: I have it here. Now I have another look at it, gentlemen, don't you observe something very were dealing about it?
Speaker 1: I can't say that I can. It's a pretty regular sort of hand exactly. Of course he's better at in my method.
Speaker 2: No, No, there cannot be the.
Speaker 1: Least start in the world that the note was written by two persons doing alternate words.
Speaker 2: Eh.
Speaker 1: Now, look at the torn portion of the note bearing the words at quarter of the twelve. Observe the strong teas of act and two. Compare them with those in quarter and twelve.
Speaker 2: By jove, I see what you mean.
Speaker 1: But why should two men write a letter like this? Obviously one of them distrusted the other. The idea was that each of them should have an equal hand in the business.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: Of the two, i'd say the one who wrote Act and two with the ringleader. However, can you say that we might did you.
Speaker 2: Sit familiar character the one hand as compared to the other, if we had more assured reasons than that.
Speaker 1: Now, if you examine the scrap with attention, he will come to the conclusion that the man.
Speaker 2: With a stronger hand wrote all his word first and left blanks for the other. That they're love. I see the blank spent always big enough. No, look here, the second.
Speaker 1: Man had squeezed, you see, to get the word quarter in between the act and the two. So we conclude that the man who wrote his words first planned the whole affair.
Speaker 2: Ahvo home. Magnificent bit of deduction, but very superficial. We come down to a point which is of real importance. You may be aware that the deduction.
Speaker 1: Of a man's age from his writing is one which has been brought to considerable accuracy by expert No indeed, oh yes, mister Acton. In normal cases one can place a man in his true decade with tolerable confidence. Remarkable, I say normal cases because ill health and physical weakness reproduced the signs.
Speaker 2: Of old age, even when the invalid is young.
Speaker 1: In this case, looking at the bold, strong hand of the one and the rather broken backs appearance of.
Speaker 2: The other, we can say that the one was a young man and the other was advanced in years without being positively decretic. Well, I never heard anything to touch this. Did you read anything else in the hand writing? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes, we were at least twenty three other dedas, but they'd be a voyant as to experts from the you colonels, except perhaps that some of them revealed quite clearly that the two writers were blood relative early. Oh, I've no doubt at all that the family mannerism can be traced in these two specimens of writing.
Speaker 2: It may be obvious to you in the Greek ease, but to me there are many small points which indicate the same thing.
Speaker 1: Did you connected with the cunninghams inn? They naturally came pretty quickly too my mind, Watson. Well, then I went up to the house for the inspector and saw all that was to be seen.
Speaker 2: The start brill, there was.
Speaker 1: The bullet wound, and the dead man. What about that it had been caused by a shot from at least four yards away. There was no powder blackening on the clothes. Alec Cunningham had lied when he said the two men had been.
Speaker 2: Struggling when the shots was side. Ah.
Speaker 1: Then both father and some agreed about the place where the man had escaped into the road. There's a broadish ditch at that point, moist at the bottom, but there were no signs of marks anywhere. I was not na sure that both the cummingoms had lied, but there'd be no unknown man on the scene at door.
Speaker 2: Did you mean to say that one of these shot Williams find Hymn's name what they want to do there? That was what I asked myself.
Speaker 1: I began to think about the original burglary at your house, mister egg, and I.
Speaker 2: Remembered the colonel here telling us about a long standing lawsuit between you and the Cunninghams. Yeah, yeah, that's right enough. I have the clearest possible claim upon half their present a sixth and by breaking into your library