Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's time again. Truth time. Without the Colonel West and Nina Turner.
Speaker 2: Per you your wealth, we counted all joy to beat together with you today. Despite what is happening in our.
Speaker 1: Country and in the world, we must, we must, we must.
Speaker 2: Find some joy to continue to push forward and to continue to fight.
Speaker 1: Doc.
Speaker 2: You know, California is about to suit the Trump administration over the troops. We are not surprised by that. Basically, the governor and mayor baths have made it very clear that there was nothing going on in California that the local police could not handle. But of course President Donald J. Trump tried to blow this up. Not just tried, he is blowing it up, not only sending in the National Guard, which National Guard is controlled by governors, and we put that out yesterday that we gotta continue to talk about this, but now wants.
Speaker 1: To send in the Marines.
Speaker 2: They're talking about this may costs upwards up maybe it's not upwards, but about one hundred and thirty four million dollars. Now, there are many unhoused veterans that I think could use that money to help those veterans. But yet and still want to blow one hundred and thirty four million dollars on something that is not even necessary. The authoritarian and nature of what is happening should be mind blowing for every single American, no matter how they identify politically. And Doc, you and I are very good at universalizing and humanizing what has happened here, so people understand, in the words of the Great Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Jr. That what happens to one directly happens to us all indirectly. The doctors in the house, we'll talk about these issues and so many others, but Doc, we want to know when it's on your heart, your soul and your mind.
Speaker 3: Just I must say, you know I've got two focuses right now on my heart, mind and soul. I'm thinking of the courageous folk in the street, the precious immigrants being demonized and vilified, with the precious children being targeted, not just taken from their families, but taken out of school. People are targeted at the workplace, And the same president will talk about genocide in South Africa when it comes to white farmers who are being Some of them, of course, may have been attacked and assaulted, but no massacres in the way in which we see the genocide in Gaza. The Charlettesville was not a emergency when you had vicious neo fascists and Nazis marching. But no, no, you could see Trump saying that he's not concerned, learned about any National guard here. We were there needing protection. He didn't really give a damn at all. You see. So that the racism is so thick and it's so undeniable on the one hand, and yet on the other hand, people are still fighting, people are willing to stand up. And when I think a stand I think a Sly I think a sly Stone. He's made his transition. But that great record of nineteen sixty nine seventy I remember dancing to that, I remember him performing that Memorial Auditorium and Sacramento, and I think back of Sly himself was one of the great figures of the greatest tradition of the modern world, which is black music with unprecedented levels of artistic genius and spiritual fortitude and moral courage. At every corner of the globe, people want to hear black music because these black folks, somehow are still able to generate such levels of love and freedom and unbelievable healing and courage in the face of all of this hatred and terror and trauma and sorrow and so On the one hand, we got struggle in the street. And I can hear Fly saying dance to the music that came out the same week that brother Martin was murdered. I can hear Sly talking about every day people said, I'm not gonna write a song. I'm gonna write a standard. I want to write a song that people will be playing for the next one hundred years. Will Sly, you may be gone physically, but your music is here forever. Different stroke for different folks will be invoked forever. And we ain't even got to hot fun in the summer time. We ain't even got to sing a simple song. We ain't even got there. You can make it if you try. I mean Sly's genius, and Rose and Freddie and Greg and Jerry, I mean all of them together, the first major band that had women together and black and white folk together. And of course he was criticized for that. He said, look, this is a human thing. These no white allies they in my motherhucking band, say't my allies? They human beings who are in the same band, and we're gonna funk y'all up. We're gonna turn things upside down. And that's what Brother Slide was able to do. I just got a wonderful note brother South and work with Slide and the last number of many many years of his life. And he was blessed to have me on one of his records with Slide called Destiny, and he was saying exactly the same thing. The Slide Stone's legacy will live forever. And there's no accident that the day he dies, people are in the street taking it higher in the street, dancing to the music. They in the street recognizing that you have to take a stand. The Slide took stands musically, artistically, lyrically. That will forever be in the hearts and minds and souls of millions of us until we make our transition like he did yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something very spiritual about that. You are listening to Truth Time with Doctor Cornellust and Nina Turner. When we come forward, we'll talk about the struggle in the streets and how music continues to inform our movement.
Speaker 1: That would be true.
Speaker 2: You can't be true to nobody else. And lets you are clue to use the truth time without the point of us doc. You know, I was talking to text talking with Ben Cohen, a dear friend of ours, one of the co founders of Ben and Jerry's. He wanted me to tell you a hearty hello when you were talking about the struggle in the streets.
Speaker 1: You know, Ben is very much a part of that.
Speaker 2: Many of our audience may have seen footage of him being dragged out of a congressional hearing because he was standing up for the lives of precious Palestinians, him being of Jewish dissent himself, but just standing up for righteousness and being pulled out and been coin. Many people may not knowing, Yes, that is the being coing one of the founders of Ben and Jerry's. One of the things that he's been working on so hard throughout most of his life has been the military industrial complex. How he feels about that. And so he's launching on Thursday a new organization that he started, or movement, i would say, and the name of it is Up in Arms. And so he's going to be in DC on Thursday ahead of the No Kings Day that is coming up on Saturday to really talk about the absurdity of how much money this country puts into the Pentagon budget. Minds you of Pentagon that has failed seven audits, but the Congress, both Democrats and Republicans, continue to increase that Pentagon budget despite and when we think about Doge, and I hate to legitimize Doge, Docs, I'm just using the language that people understands because it was illegitimate.
Speaker 1: It is illegitimate.
Speaker 2: But they were talking about cutting spending, but they never once went into the Pentagon budget. But back to Ben Cohen, so Ben told me to tell you hello, Doc, and he is holding a press conference with some ex military personnel, some colonels, some generals, some military veterans who are against war to really really try to imprint on the hearts of Americans how ridiculous it is to spend this type of money to make war instead of spending that money to not only make peace, but also from a practical level, there are thousands of unhoused veterans, thousands of them, and that kind of money could be used to help them find housing. I mean, even what President Trump is doing right now, that one hundred and thirty four million that I mentioned earlier, I could dream of a time of a world where one hundred and thirty four million was put to use directly to help unhoused veterans.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely, But no, I send my deep love and respect the brother being. You know we've been through many struggles together, not just with Bernie, but he's been on the front lines of a number of different ways. He is one of the Jewish brothers and sisters like Medea. Benjamin just rested again yesterday, but the Jewish brothers and sisters who understands that anti Palestinian racism is as evil as anti Jewish racism, O Black racism is just as evil as anti white racism. Any form of racism is wrong from a moral and for me a Christian point of view. Now we know that certain kind of racisms have been dominant in the modern world. See that anti black racism has been much more dominant in the modern world. Anti Jewish racism has been dominant for two thousand years. But anti Palestinian racism is intense, not just in Gods and in the West Bank, but in the world. But all of them are equally wrong, im moral, and unjust, and we must be morally consistent about that. But brother Ben understands that, and so he makes that connection between anti racism on the one handed, critiques of militarism, whether military is used disproportionately against certain people, people of color. It's being to look at the reflection on the uses of the National Guard. And you know, in the last old sixty seventy years, most of the uses of the National Guard had to do with race. It had to do with black people, it had to do with brown people. That's not a coincident. The whole country went to a civil war, killed seven hundred thousand people over us, over black people. What you're gonna do with us, yes, sir, for me and enslavement bol Barrick, white supremacist slavery system, you see what I mean? So that we're gonna come to terms with that in a political, moral, and spiritually mature anner that is humanistic to the core. But it also it reminds me of sly Stone's first record he wrote with his family. He's played with his family, the Stewart four called on the Battlefield Walking in the Name of Jesus. Now he come out of the Church of God in Christ for Lao even though they're born in Texas, but he's on the battlefield.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Amen.
Speaker 3: Good for the kingdom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for the Kingdom. We rapping this together, struggle on the streets.
Speaker 2: How music impacts that, like the spirit is just moving us. Doc, So to Brother Ben again, if people should follow Ben Coin and the work that he's doing, the name of it is up in arms, and he's gonna spotlight in his words, the observe the absorb abserd and moral and wasteful pentagon spending that comes at the expense of housing, healthcare, and education for Americans.
Speaker 1: Brother Ben b I call them BC, Doc.
Speaker 2: I will Brother b Seed to know we with him all the way, all the way, all the way up unveiling at this Thursday at Union Station in or the Union Station area in District of Columbia. So if you've got friends or front of mees there, tell them to go and join him, and he will be again with some colonels, Doc, He's gonna be with some generals, you know, just veterans, war veterans in particular, because it's not just something veterans should be talking about, but it takes on a specific kind of meaning when you have war veterans standing up and saying, don't do this, don't don't, don't.
Speaker 1: Don't play these kind of games.
Speaker 3: That's exactly. And he's gonna have some war veterans who never joined the army of the United States. Some of us been at war for a long time. We are veterans on the battlefield in a war, but we didn't necessarily join the US army. Some did join the US army and still have a morality in terms of critique of US militarism and imperialism. But when you're we understand war in that broad sense, Oh, you got a whole lot of veterans. I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: That's a great, great point, Doc. You expanding that to people who are just believing in peace. Yeah, No, I love, I love I love the way you're expanding that. And I think brother Ben would feel the same way. So please please support and Cohen and others the organization or the movement. I would call it up in arms. He's launching it. I think he's gonna try to do a four year campaign, doc. Hopefully maybe even longer. Hopefully we might not need it in four years. I think that's what he's thinking. But this is not just a flash in the pan kind of thing. This is something that Ben Cohen has been working on for a very long time. And it just so happens that the No King's Day that's happening on Saturday of the fourteenth, which is Flag Day, I believe, and also the birthday of President Donald J.
Speaker 1: Trump.
Speaker 2: So there'll be people all over the country standing up and all of the confluence of everything that is happening from La to other parts of this country.
Speaker 1: It's a confluence.
Speaker 2: You know, none of these things were playing, but the spirit is working in many, many ways, Doctor West.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right. And the good news is we're gonna go down swinging. We're gonna go down fighting, We're gonna go down laughing and loving. We're gonna go down. Organizing, we're gonna go down, mobilizing. We're gonna go down demonstrate that nothing in the world can crush our spirit.
Speaker 1: Nothing at all.
Speaker 2: You know, Doc, yesterday we didn't get a chance to because the of the depth of a great slide stone. We pivoted right to that to lift him. And you share so many stories. So if any of you are listening today and you didn't get a chance to listen yesterday, please download the KBLA app. If you will or wherever you get your podcast, you can pick us up and make sure that you check out all the other wonderful shows on the network. Tavis Smiley and the crew celebrating that four year anniversary. Doc, you gonna be You're gonna have your face in the place. Make sure you sign up. It is free to attend, but you have to sign up and bring a gift card if you can, of any amount, because they want to be able to give those gift cards to the families impacted by the fire, by the Altadena families impacted by the fire. But Doc, you're going to be there in celebration, so yeah, let's pause and talk about that for a moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going to be a beautiful thing. Brother Tabas, of course, had a grand vision five years ago saying, look, we are going to create an institution, a black institution that's led with a moral vision on the one hand, but unbelievable efficiency in terms of management on the other. That's precisely what he's been able to do. So now four years later, the celebration sets in that KBLA fifteen eighty, Tabis Smiley is now soaring like an ego Frisgien We're glad to be a small part of it as well, no doubt about that. But at the same time, the important thing is that he keeps the ground. He keeps the focus on the ground every day people.
Speaker 1: Yeah he does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the keys brother Tabs. Tabs got a whole lot of slice Stone in it.
Speaker 1: Yes, he does. I mean he's the one that broke the breaking news. He called me during the break.
Speaker 2: He's like Nina, Doctor West, gonna go. He listened, y'all got to talk about a brother slid Stone, and I'm glad that we had the opportunity to do so. He deserves that and so much more. And I'm sure there's gonna be many many tributes to him, to his family, to his body of work. By how blessed are our audience and our network, Doctor West, to have people like you and brother Tavis Moley, who brings so much texture and depth to what we talk about today. Doctor, You know, as we were so, I want to go back a little bit to some of the stuff we were talking about yesterday.
Speaker 1: We had a lot of people in our tube, as my.
Speaker 2: Grandson calls it, a channel, who they've built a real community there, and one brother who I think is either new or doesn't speak up as much was talking about just law.
Speaker 1: We were getting on that was a just law.
Speaker 2: And an unjust law, and I think it is very important for us to continue to tease that out.
Speaker 1: You and I both went immediately.
Speaker 2: To the letter from the Birmingham Jail that Doctor King wrote on April sixteenth, nineteen sixty three, to the Clergy, and so, Doc, I want you to go into that a bit. He covered a lot. He did cover the notion of just laws and unjust laws, and so I just want to share a portion of that and then your thoughts about how that is applicable to today. He said, the answer lies in the fact that there are two types of laws, and I'm skipping all the way down. I encourage people to revisit I revisited multiple times a year Doctor King's letter from the Birmingham Jail. He said that there are The answer lies in the fact that there are two types of laws.
Speaker 1: Just and unjust.
Speaker 2: I would be the first to advocate obeying just laws has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. I would agree with Saint Augustine that quote, an unjust.
Speaker 1: Law is no law at all end quote.
Speaker 2: So doctor King gets credit for that, and unjust laws no law at all.
Speaker 1: But he is pulling.
Speaker 2: From the body of work of Saint august Stine. Doc I can go further. I'm gonna go further on the other.
Speaker 1: Side, but you just just take it take it from here.
Speaker 3: Well, he's speaking out of a great tradition of both the natural law system and always ensuring that laws have to have a moral foundation. I mean, people stop at the red light, that's a just law. If only black folk had to stop at the red life, that's not a just law. Laws can contribute to people flowering and flourishing. But he goes on to say in that same section, an unjust law is a law that what violates the sanctity of human personality. It truncates the capacity of people to grow and mature and flower and flourish. And in a society in which certain groups of people have, by institutional design, are not able to have their sacred human personality flower and flourish, it is unjust. An unjust law is if Jamal gets caught with a crackbag and goes to jail for ten years, and little Johnny McGillicuddy gets caught with another version of crack and he only gets padded on the back end probation. That's an unjust law. Slavery Black folk enslave, that's un just. White folks ain't in slave slavery in general.
Speaker 1: In wrong.
Speaker 3: So Martin is saying, don't invoke the law to me. You talking about law and order is law and order for you and your people and your neighborhood in your side of town. That's what law and order really means. The law ain't got nothing to do with morality. Order ain't got nothing to do with justice. Don't talk about law and order to me when I know it's just for you and your friends. That's Martin in jail. He's in jail dealing with an unjust legal system in jim Crow, Alabama. That's what slid Stone's tradition flows from. And he ain't loan. Sam Cook and Nina Simone and the others are with him as well. That's what Sli's talking about. You see.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's it, And just so people pick up on the premise in the chat, one of our viewers was basically saying what is happening in a with the National Guard and all the folks coming in, Hey, these people broke the law. So that is why we're picking up on what is just laws and unjust laws. You're listening to doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner on Truth Time. When we come forward, we will continue this riveting conversation. Yes you are, Yes we are, but that we're doing sort of a recap, if you will, adding on some of the new dynamics that are happening right now today, the lawsuit that is happening rightfully, So I believe that Governor Gavin Newsom is right to sue. We talked a little bit Doc about we continue to talk about the courts, and how I love when you said if the courts are involved, if courts are seen as a last resort, we're already kind of in trouble.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right. I mean, it's nice for the courts to kick in. Yeah, but you can't rely on the do gullible. They're too unreliable and they take too long. Ye, this particular suit that California is putting forward against Trump of federalizing the National Guard and even thinking about bringing in the marines that the court may not even hear that thing for weeks and months. This is happening right now and company know that. They know that that they seize the moment and then the courts come out down the road and the damage has already been done.
Speaker 1: In other words, even if we get it a good outcome.
Speaker 3: Yeah so, but so I'm not against the courts. I want the courts to do all they can. I want them to be fair and just, no doubt about about that. We got a long history of black folk not being treated fairly and being unjustly arrested and convicted, the double standard that we know operation for the last two hundred and fifty years in this country. But at the same time, we just we've never been able to just rely on the court. No, no, We've got to be strong with ourselves, our institutions, our movements, our communities, our traditions.
Speaker 2: True that doctor struggle in the streets, that's what we're talking about, going back to the whole notion of just laws and unjust laws. And I promise the people who are on the tube, Dr West and I are gonna get to you. Doctor King goes on and say, now, what is the difference between the two. How does one determine whether a law is just or unjust? And doctor West, you put some twenty first century on that a just law is a man made cold that squares with the moral law or the law God.
Speaker 1: So the two go together.
Speaker 2: They're not diametrically opposed, is what he's saying. An unjust law is a cold that is out of harmony with moral law.
Speaker 3: Moral, well, you've got if you don't have moral grounds for your law, it's not law. It's gangsterized power and raw might. And law has been used to rationalize raw might and gangsterize power. That slavery. That's Jim Crowley's whole host of laws now just hear but around the world. And so when people invoke law, you got to say yourself, just like Jesus might say, you against the law to be healing somebody on the Sabbath, that law don't mean nothing to me. I'm concerned about the quality of life of this man or woman that I'm healing. The law is subordinate to something greater than itself, a morality or some kind of sense of divinity that's tied to justice. You see, that's the kind of issue that we're dealing with right now in the streets in la historically in the history of this country, with Jim and Jane Crow and slavery and the whole host of other laws.
Speaker 2: Heymen, Doc, and I'm gonna jump straight to one of our viewers, Doctor Octavia Morris. Immigration fight isn't my problem as a Black American. Immigration fight is not my problem as a Black American. So as we're talking about laws, unjust laws, how they square up, I want doctor Octavia Morris to picture and God forbid, her neighbor's house on fire.
Speaker 1: At some point.
Speaker 2: She has to care about her neighbor's house being on fire. Doc, you know where I'm going with this, because if the fire is not put out, it could eventually come to her house. Now directly, she may not. And I'm just putting her in a category with anybody else because we hear this often, that we wrestle with this, because we understand where black people are coming from. We are not oblivious to the pain that black people face in this country and how others, not all, but far too many of the others of other groups in this nation don't attend to our pain. But we are the first ones to attend to other people's pain.
Speaker 1: I got it. But if your neighbor house is on fire.
Speaker 2: Eventually, if you don't see that morally as your problem just because it's your neighbor's house, eventually, for self interested reasons, Doc, it becomes your problem if that fire jumps from your neighbor's house to your house. So let me frame this immigration fight. Isn't my problem as a black American, DOC, take it away. I hope my analogy makes sense.
Speaker 3: It makes a whole lot of sense. And I understand what my dear sisters saying. She might be saying that, well, it's not my major problem. I've got a whole host of trials and tribulations I'm trying to deal with that doesn't have anything to do with immigration. We understand that. But the question becomes in, well, what about morality or do you you have an interest in being a moral human being? You're concerned about other people suffering even though it may not directly affect you at the moment. And so when we say my problem with who is the mind? Who is the me? What kind of person are you choosing to be? Now? We have to also keep in mind and when we talk about immigrants, immigrants come in a lot of different colors. You see, you might have close friends who are from Haiti. Well, they not necessarily focusing right now on the Haitians the way they're focusing on the Mexicans, but it's still affecting the Haitians. You might have friends from Jamaica. You might have cousins who's married from folks from Ethiopia. So it is connected to you in a broader sense. But the most important thing is and I tell my dear sister, you are a moral and spiritual being, not just a rational calculator of your interests. And that's the tradition that produced you. My dear sister as so she's a black sister. Now that your mom and your daddy and your church mos synagogue, your music has always been concerned about your morality and spirituality, not just your rationality in terms of you calculating your personal interests. That we're deeper than just rational calculators, as moral and spiritual human beings. Were concerned about other people suffering. People say, guys, is not my problem. I can't say a word. Twenty thousand babies have been murdered. You're not concerned about twenty thousand babies now because that ain't affecting me. You need to check yourself morally and spiritually because if it was your baby, would you want somebody to be concerned about you and your baby? Of course you would. That's the golden.
Speaker 1: Rule, that part Doc all day long.
Speaker 2: And I'm happy that doctor Morris puts that in here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, acknowledging, and we respect our sister wrestling with this, but all of us have to come to terms with our moral and spiritual status.
Speaker 1: We do, and it's hard. You know.
Speaker 2: I talk to black people all the time, and it's not that they begrudge helping other people I'm talking about as collectively as much as they begrudge the fact that many of the people in these groups are never there or rarely there when the suffering is about Black Americans who are sending something slave people.
Speaker 1: And that's true too, that marutiple things can be true at once.
Speaker 3: You don't have to be like.
Speaker 1: True that. We don't have to be so I we got it, we get it, we get it, we get it, we get it.
Speaker 2: Daniel Brother, Daniel's in the house, Samir Kirn, Peace and Grace, Senator Turner, and doctor West.
Speaker 1: Today is a good day to stay blessed. Yes, it is.
Speaker 2: Every day is a good day to stay blessed. Thank you for that, Brother Daniel. Blessed Peacemaker in the house. Much love from your Truth Time family in East Africa standing in prayer with all our la loved ones.
Speaker 1: Peace is ours to make. I love that peace is ours.
Speaker 3: To make beautiful.
Speaker 2: Wow, blessed peace Maker. That's it, Peace is ours to make. Got Timothy Jamison. The change of guard is currently taking place. Enjoy your day and Timothy to put a green heart up in there.
Speaker 1: I'm with you. I'm bobbing with you. Jay Lily, Happy anniversary, brother Tavis.
Speaker 2: Exclamation point. We're proud of what you've done with black media and political organization. We rocking with you on that, sister, jay Lily or Jay Lily, I don't know if it's sister brother, but jay Lily, we're walking with that. You're listening to Truth Time without the Cornell West and Nina Turner. When we come forward, we'll continue the conversation from the chat here. You are so glad that you are not going back to tune. We got Blessed Peacemaker again. Hey, let's remember that we just passed pentecost Doctor West and Senator Turner. Can we talk about the spirit driving racial unity and love from Azusa Street.
Speaker 3: Oh? He talking about those visionary Baptists from Tennessee that made their way to Los Angeles and initiated a whole new spiritual awakening and movement of Pentecostalism that would become the fastest growing denomination in the twentieth and twenty first century. Very very black centered love sentered black and white, and red and yellow and indigenous folk, all of them getting the spirit at the same time. So it was thoroughly multi racial, morticultural, integrated across the board. And yet in so many ways it was a stress on the third person of the Trinity. It was on Holy Spirit. Its focused on God and Jesus, but it was spirit feel spirits centered. And it does go back to the Book of Acts when the spirit hit and what did they do? They loved each other, they held all things in common. They called them kind of crypto proto communism, but it wasn't it is It was a way of life. It was deeper than a religion. It was a motive being in the world with love overflowed, joy overflowed. You wanted to share everything you had inside of you and outside of you with others. That was pentic costs and penticost to Liza Producer down Church of God in Christ, go Jaed and come find me, darg Blake. We can go on and on. Ejeene Rivers. We talked about some Reverend Herbert Daltrey. We got some deep Pennycostan. I'm a I'm a Baptist, so you know I'm with my Costa brothers and sister Baptists. But we own the same love train.
Speaker 1: Hey man, I'm a Bapti Costal doc.
Speaker 2: Thank you, bless the peacemaker. The peacemaker be on it for sure, Free World Press. Can Clarence Thomas ever wake up?
Speaker 3: God? Good question?
Speaker 1: That is a good question.
Speaker 3: That is Dick, You'll raise the same question. Can't buy bones?
Speaker 1: I live live again?
Speaker 3: Well, we brother Tavers, come out of the rich Pentacot traditions. It's hard to find somebody deeper coming out of that tradition. Lord, have mercy. You almost got to go to Jodson. No, I'm just kidding. Amen, Amen, Amen, Amen, Tavis and all of them.
Speaker 2: We have ea since the Turner black folks living next door to our Hispanic neighbors in a tent.
Speaker 1: My house burned down thirty years ago. I get it.
Speaker 2: I think, Ea, you missing the point that doctor West and I were were making here. I'm trying to were trying our best to help people see the point that we have a moral obligation to care. And definitely my heart goes out to you know, a physical house burned down. You know, our heart goes out to that kind of suffering, and we know the fires and out the Dina which Brother Tavis has dedicated this entire network dealing with that kind of pain and seeing that the response or lack of response from government itself was inadequate, and it was inadequate.
Speaker 1: Per usual in the black community. So definitely we get it.
Speaker 2: And people have lost so much over generations, not just right now, but over generations.
Speaker 1: So we got it. And then b bail of bad dog bullies is not just about what they say, It's about what we stop paying attention to.
Speaker 2: And that is true too. We have an obligation to pay attention. What's that song a doctor might be part of scripture? Whatsoever things are good? Whatsoever things are just, you know, think on those things. And so we got to do all of those things.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Doctor Cornell wests and need to turn her own truth time.
Speaker 2: When we come forward in our final moments, we'll continue talking about the struggle.
Speaker 1: In the streets.
Speaker 2: You are, yes, we are doc struggle in the streets. This has been really good. I mean, our chat is still going strong.
Speaker 1: So many thoughtful folks and so many people.
Speaker 2: Raising questions and issues that we have to continue wrestling with.
Speaker 1: And we don't run from wrestling with those things.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And you see, I think it's very important for people to keep in mind. And when people hit the streets, they're not just focusing on laws, They're focusing on the spirit and tone and moral character of certain words and actions. You see, this is not a legalistic thing. You see, when people are being mistreated, when people's humanity is being violated, it's not just a matter of law. It's a matter of your moral stands. You see. So some of the people in the in the streets. Of course, they might disagree about how you treat undocumented, how you treat documented that those are all issues of policy and so forth. You can debate about that. But when you start mistreating people at the deepest level of their humanity. It ain't a question in law. That's the reason why I would be there. I ain't there because I agree with the policies stance of everybody in the street, No, not at all. But I'm there because I know that immigrant brothers, sisters of human beings made in the image and likeness of a loving God, and they have a sanctity and a dignity that the world didn't give them in the world can't take away. And you got to take a stand in that regard. And you can have the other debates later on, but it's clear of what's coming out of this White House is this notion of cruelty and strategy and empathy as enemy that spiritually.
Speaker 2: Sacrilegious, and no doubt about that, Doc, and people are picking up on those vibes. And so for every action we learned in our science class, for every action, there's an opposite and equal reaction, and that is what is happening right now in our country. The President, his administration and manipulating a whole lot. That doesn't mean doctor right. Look, I don't agree with everybody that may be out there on the immigration policies of this country.
Speaker 1: What I do know is should be done in a humane way.
Speaker 2: That I do know. I have no fear of being contradicted on that. What is fair.
Speaker 1: Matching people up like that is not fair.
Speaker 2: Causing people to have fight or fight you know, in their bodies, their heart, their soul, their minds.
Speaker 1: None of that stuff is right. There's a way to do things.
Speaker 2: My grandmothers always say proper There's a way to properly do things. And this administration is stoken fear of the other. They have the American people right where they want them, and when we buy into this, even in our subconscious, people are starting to buy into President Trump's and his administration's rhetoric that every single immigrant, or at least the majority of them, are somehow more criminal than anybody else, which is not the truth. We do have a right to protect our borders. We do have a right to have rules about how people come in here. And it has been a failure of administrations and Congresses to get this straight on.
Speaker 1: How are we doing this? Have not gotten this straight.
Speaker 2: And the Democratic certainly the Trump administration, doctors responsible for what they're doing right now in real time, in this moment, and the Democratic Party bears responsibility for us having a President Donald J.
Speaker 1: Trump two point zero.
Speaker 2: Although they didn't do much better, they just wasn't out here doing it the way the President Trump is doing it. But make no mistake, under President Biden, under President Obama, some similar things were happening, just was not happening in our face. You have been listening to Truth Time with doctor Cordon Was and Nina Turner. We want you to live on purpose, live your purpose, and above all, know that titles are good and purpose is better.
Speaker 1: Until next time,