Speaker 1: The allure of the limelight can at times be irresistible. Some people strive their whole lives to achieve a moment in the spotlight, and very few ever managed to make it happen. For those who can't make the cut, it's inevitable that a new life will take over, whether we want it to or not. Sometimes it can still involve what you're passionate about. Maybe you'll find yourself teaching the new future stars or finding another way to pay your bills. Our subject today was forced to find a new path away from her dreams of being a pop star. But somehow that path took her to black magic and witchcraft, and it all made her dreams of being famous and known by all a complete and tragic reality. Warning the following podcast material intended more mature audience listeners. There turned you on?
Speaker 2: Thank you?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 2: My name is Ben and I'm Nicole and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a.
Speaker 1: True crime podcast. Why did you? Why did you kickle at me?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I thought we would redo that, but apparently we're not.
Speaker 1: You don't want to do you want to redo that? Or do you want to just let people know that I just turned your microphone on. Let's do it, because that's what it was, your microphone.
Speaker 2: You were about to mute me this whole whole episode.
Speaker 1: Well, the whole new intro is throwing me for a loop a little bit with the audio systems. I gotta I gotta get used to that.
Speaker 2: But people are liking that. I think it's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: It's a fun way to actually like introduce the whole the whole episode in a little bit of a drawing type way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I really like it. I it's fun.
Speaker 1: It's actually fun to write them too.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: Sure one. What is really fun though? What our patrons?
Speaker 2: Ooh yes they are.
Speaker 1: So we got one patron to thank this week. So today it's all about Tracy Hanks.
Speaker 2: Tracy, You're freaking awesome.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Tracy for signing up over on Patreon. We appreciate the absolute shit out of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah we do. You're wicked as fuck, wickedly awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So we had a big celebration on the weekend. We did tell us it, tell them all about it. We had our twelve year wedding anniversary whoop, whoop, holy heck. And then we've also been together like seventeen years, so it was a big Yeah, that's a big.
Speaker 1: We've well you said you for sure, you've had people jokingly ask but still ask, have you were you a child bride? Because like we're not super old, we're pretty old, we're starting to get there. But to be married for twelve years and be thirty four, yeah I'm.
Speaker 2: Thirty three, give it a little bit. But well, yeah I was twenty one when we got married and you were twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just turned twenty two. So babies, basically little baby, you were a child bride, but by volunteering, not an arranged marriage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah that's what that's what we say.
Speaker 1: So we went out and we did photo shoots. We had breakfast, we had lunch, and we had dinner, didn't we or No, The breakfast was coffee and then we went for brunch and then we were dinner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what we did. And we also we also had Starbucks to at one point like we just like lived our best lives.
Speaker 1: We did. It was pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: Had a photo shoot one for a walk. Oh and I also forgot about this. So Ben's neck has just been like fucked, Like yes, fucked is like an understate.
Speaker 1: Which is actually why the episode is delayed one day because I was having serious issues, like researching on a computer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was it was hurting you.
Speaker 1: But I went to physio today, so that's good. I feel a little bit better.
Speaker 2: So anyway, for his anniversary present, I took him to Sleep Country and we got you a really good pillow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then the pillow was by one get one fifty percent, So I got you a pillow for your anniversary gift too.
Speaker 2: So we basically are oldest in because we got each other ergonomical ergonomical ergonomical pillows for our anniversary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we old as fuck. Happy anniversary. Here's a pillow.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I god thought it was like pretty much the most comical shit I've ever It's like.
Speaker 1: Those scenes out of a comedy movie where it's like here, I got you this. Oh my god, I got you the same thing. That's basically what happened. So yeah, except we are both there when we bought the pillows and yeah, but it's still it applies.
Speaker 2: I don't know, like this is so sounding old, but it's like in all reality, like you're sleeping, you sleep a lot, and like your mattress and your pillows and stuff should be the shit. Yeah, I really should.
Speaker 1: My pillow has been for the last like thirty years. Shit not the shit.
Speaker 2: It hasn't. You haven't had one pillow for thirty years.
Speaker 1: But it's like no, but I've just had shit pill Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've tried to buy you new ones and then, like buying someone a pillow without them there is hard. It's hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so got a good pillow now though. Yeah. Also, I got to roll right back to Patreon here for a minute. I just realized because today's episode is actually selected by the lovely members over on Patreon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like it really won I think, right, Yeah it was.
Speaker 1: I believe it was like forty percent above the rest or something like that.
Speaker 2: So nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah that case. You about to find out what it is. I mean I told you about it a little bit already, but you're about to find out a lot more. You ready for this?
Speaker 2: I think we're totally ready here.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I don't know if you're ready. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: I'm ready?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, let's dive into this. I'm not even going to say the name right of the get go. I'm going to burst the title of the whole thing. You can see it in the title of the actual like listening. Anyways, you're gonna have to wait a little bit, okay, okay, because we're going to start off with an individual by the name of Masna Ismail who was born on January first, nineteen fifty six in Kangar, Malaysia.
Speaker 2: New Year's baby, yes.
Speaker 1: New Year's baby indeed. Now. She was a young girl who, like many others today, dreamed of making it big. You know, the lights, the stage, you name it. She was into dancing, singing, performing all the time. The whole while. While she was doing these things, and you know, doing her little I don't know, child star shows and stuff, she had a big smile on her face the entire time, plastered across her face, you know, through and through. She wanted to become a pop star, and she presented herself as such.
Speaker 2: Aw Like, I hope it was there because she was enjoying what she was doing.
Speaker 1: I'm sure she did. She loved it so, but I mean that's still the persona right like smiles, stand up straight, that sort of thing. Yeah, no kidding, is that my chair squeaking or yours?
Speaker 2: It's definitely not me.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm moving too much. I don't know if you guys can hear it, but calm down, calm down into it, Okay. Anyways, She would later adopt a stage name as she continued to strive for stardom in her adult life. Her name would become Mona Fandy. It was a name she adopted out of the inspiration from her biggest fan, her husband, whose name was Mohammed nor A Fandy, So she kind of took that and took Mona out of it. I'm assuming like Mohammad became Mona and then of course a Fandy became fan.
Speaker 2: That's really cool.
Speaker 1: It is. It's almost like a Harry Potter thing with Lord Voldemort. You know, you don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you mean, but I've watched Harry Potter, so no one get mad at me. For the love of god, I do like Harry Potter.
Speaker 1: Mom, Marvolo, riddle you rearrange ith. Yeah, I am Lord Boldimore.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah see, I'm like, and now you're going to defend myself. I am into Harry Potter, but I'm not like as Avid as a fan of Like, that's that's totally fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, regardless though her name is now Mona Fandy. Okay, Now, together the two did all they could to push her into the limelight. They even went as far as to open their own recording studio to get her in front of a microphone.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So it was their own money getting the recording studio with all the equipment, and they're in that studio. They produced herself sponsored album because they you know, paid for it and everything and titled Diana, and she after the album and everything, even made a few television appearances. Okay, now I'm going to give you guys a quick little moment to listen to a little bit of her singing.
Speaker 3: I want to know what you guys think, Nada.
Speaker 1: So for context, that's like nineteen eighty seven Malaysian pop music. So I'm not too sure if you're all brushed up on your nineteen eighty seven pop, you know, culture music stuff. But for me, I don't think that's half bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, I thought it was good and honestly too, like, so good for them for like taking the bowl by the horns, because people aren't always going to be knocking on your doors, so you gotta go knock on theirs, right, exactly, Well done.
Speaker 1: You gotta pave your own path.
Speaker 2: I love that. Yeah, so like that's awesome. Yeah, they did this.
Speaker 1: They took that initiative. They went out there and they produced these and like I said, because of this album, she even made a couple of TV appearances with her music.
Speaker 2: Awesome, absolutely awesome.
Speaker 1: Now, despite those TV and public appearances, the self published album didn't exactly push your career like she was hoping to, didn't put her in the limelight, and she didn't become well a pop star. It was obvious to Mona and her husband that she wasn't exactly going to make it big, especially anytime soon, and the idea of becoming a star didn't leave Mona's mind. However, was very much still a dream of hers now in the meantime, just because she had these aspirations and this dream and something that she wanted to pursue, it didn't exactly fit well for her to keep pursuing and that she had to go and find some other means of income. So the two of them did, and they did what any reasonable person would do in this whole situation. Black magic as a witch doctor. That was their backup plan.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, you just like went there, I was like building up and the building up that was not what I expected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I that was completely left field for me too while I was researching.
Speaker 2: Wow, all right, then it's kind of wild.
Speaker 1: I mean most people would be like, Okay, I'm gonna go see if I can find like a labor position or you know, maybe just like an office job where it can you know, type in data for a little bit, or who knows.
Speaker 2: What at a coffee shop something, yeah, something.
Speaker 1: Just in the meantime, it means some of those jobs pay well, So I mean hell yeah, yeah, so that's not what they did. They're like, you know what, fucking witch doctor. Okay, all right, let let's sure.
Speaker 2: I'm very aged to know how this goes down.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it seems odd. Obviously you can't make a living as like a singer pop star, So how do you think you can make a living as a black magic ritualistic can witch doctor? For people?
Speaker 2: They must have been into that kind of ad as well, right.
Speaker 1: They must have had something to initiate it. Yeah, get them in there.
Speaker 2: Like it's you don't just randomly decide that's what you're going to do.
Speaker 1: That's completely left field. Yeah, you're not like, oh, I love pop music, it's not working, satan. I guess that's not what happens, you know. No, so they must have had some sort of interest, like you say, to push them this way. So it's I mean, making a living doing these rituals. It's it's far fetched at best to think that you're going to just start pulling an income. But it actually worked, hm. They their new role doing spiritual rituals, healing provisions of talismans for money. One mona much more fame than she ever dreamed of.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: It brought her wealth, it brought status, fame, and of course materialistic things such as mansions and houses like they were living the good life of course really yeah, of course though, mind you like, she's not like in the limelight as she would as a pop star, not cover of magazines by any means.
Speaker 2: And doing autographs and all that jazz.
Speaker 1: Probably yeah, but she is definitely living the money life.
Speaker 2: So okay, well, I hope you're gonna elaborate on what exactly they're doing. May any of us want to? I'm just kidding. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: I do a little bit here, and I'll try and explain it as best as I can because it's pretty vague on the exact type of stuff that they were doing. Okay, but I do go over some of it, so we'll touch on it here in a moment. Uh what actually by touch on it right here? Perfect? Okay. So basically it was the elite country or the country's elitists were like knocking on her door to get in. They were the most wealthy businessmen and politicians who are looking for good fortune. Essentially, the more money they forked over to Mona, the more powerful spells and ceremonies she would say she would be performing, and the better fortune and spiritual healing they would receive. So essentially what they're saying is, Okay, we're going to perform ceremonies on you, rituals on you, whatever it is, and get you good fortune, good healing, and push you farther in your career, gets you wealth, and get you status. And that's what these guys are after. They're after that power and that status, so they're forking out whatever cash they need to she could pretty much name her price.
Speaker 2: Wow, if only it was that easy, Ah, if only if.
Speaker 1: It was that easy, we might be offering that sort of stuff over on a Patreon for the smooth, smooth figure of ten thousand dollars per ten second phone call where we will give you. No, I'm just kidding my word. If like you say, if only.
Speaker 2: If only, I mean, if only, then I feel like a lot of people would be doing a lot better.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this whole time though, Mona is of course, just just laughing all the way to the bank. She's making She's making cash like crazy. Now, I do want to mention this here before I move on. There is nothing wrong with spiritualistic beliefs or performing such rituals. I don't want to throw shade at that. We're joking a little bit here, because the one thing that is wrong with it is taking advantage of people, which is exactly what Mona's doing. Yeah, she's just like, I want to make money. I want to become famous, and this is my path to do it. You know, I'm going to charge a shit ton of money. So that's where I have a problem with it. I mean, charge your crystals, look up at the stars. I don't give a shit. Do your thing, do you? Yeah, that's totally cool.
Speaker 2: Well, because honestly, something just even like the power of believing in something. Oh, yeah, really does make it work, right, But and in my in my opinion, it's just it's mostly the power of you believing. But if you're doing it like kind of unfaithfully to gain yourself, that's maybe not the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And like a lot of like witchcraft or Wickan stuff or all this sort of black magic or whatever is not necessarily like I joked earlier, with like Satan, right, it's not necessarily lining up with that, Like even Satanism isn't lined up with Satan. So it's it's a lot more like like you say, when you're taking advantage of it, or when you're going about it the wrong way, that's when it's it's not cool. And that's when it is really about like yourself, and it is about selfishness.
Speaker 2: And when you're doing it taking advantage and doing it to some of someone else exactly kind of thing, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And one man she did take advantage of was a politician by the name of Maslin. There we go, Maslin Idris. It's not certain who exactly approached who about their arrangement. I'm going to assume it's Maslan who did approach Mona about it. But regardless the result is the same Mona was selling some very specific talismans to them. There was two of them, to be particular. One was a cane and another was a traditional hat that was apparently previously warned by the President of Indonesia, a man whose name was Sukano. Now apparently there's a bunch of stuff in the history of this guy as well, but I'm not gonna be diving into that today. But the two items were sold to him for the very small price of two point five million Malaysian ringots, which was worth about six hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh ely shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is the kind of stuff she is charging.
Speaker 2: And that's a lot of money.
Speaker 1: And you know, she's just like going down to the local flea market and some shit.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I mean, but she put herself in that position to have people believing that she could help them too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Maslin believed her because without a second thought he agreed.
Speaker 2: So she's doing something.
Speaker 1: She's doing something right, well not right, but she's doing something to make money. I don't know how to do.
Speaker 2: That's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So she's swindling, is what she's doing.
Speaker 2: Because I'm just like, if you spent that money, I don't know, like educating yourself or like I have a campaign or something like, you would just get to where you want to be too, maybe better, easier, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, over a top hat and a cane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I feel like I'm spiraling here, but I'm like, ah.
Speaker 1: No, I know what you mean. Anyways, he paid one fifth of the cost up front, and the rest he had gave up some land as collateral as the remainder. Now what I think here is I don't think he could afford the full sum, and he's banking on here's what I can afford. Now here's my collateral. Once these talismans pay off and I am going far in my career and I'm getting money, then I'll pay the rest. I believe that's what his his math was going on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he clearly wanted to go far in his political career, and with these he was sure he was going to make it to the top. But of course he didn't. Mona clearly scammed him, and soon he would be wise to her false promises. Once you know, absolutely nothing changed, everything was the same. He's just shy of a shit ton of money. This is probably why he didn't follow through to pay her the rest of what he owned, because the land was up for collateral, right, so well, he'll probably end up being some land. But he still didn't even give her the land. It was just what he put up front and that was it. Okay, Now he wasn't getting he wanted, and Mona wasn't getting what she wanted. Of course the money. Mona told him there were some issues preventing the talismans from working properly, and she made up some complete mumbo jumbo about needing to perform a cleansing type ritual with him so the magic could actually take effect with the talismans. Now reluctantly, Maslin agreed to take part. I'm pretty sure you can get your I'm sorry, I'm pretty sure you can't get your money back from black magic rituals. And he probably realized that there's no exact return policy on that sort of thing, so he probably thought to himself, will have gone this far, so why not just go through it and maybe it'll work and hope for the best. You know what if I got to lose Now, I'm not paying her any more money up front. She's saying she'll fix it, and then I'll be rich again, or famous again, or politically amazing again, and then I'll pay her. So what does he have to lose? Really? Right?
Speaker 2: I know, I was just gonna say that he doesn't have much to lose unless something crazy happens here. I'm worried.
Speaker 1: I'm something crazy happens here. I dun, dun. So they met up for another ritual on July one of nineteen ninety three. In the middle of the night, Maslin took off, not telling his wife, so he could meet Mona in the remote area of Kumpoun Prak at one of Mona's many houses.
Speaker 2: I already don't like this.
Speaker 1: He followed the road and turned off onto a dirt road and kept going through the forest up a hillside until he arrived at his destination, the small bungalow nestled within the woods. There. Inside the house, Mona and her husband Mohammed met him, and there was also their assistant, and they had set up an area for the ritual to be performed. Now, as he walked through the house, there's items. There's nick knacks all around, and things in jars and ingredients, lining shells. Very much witchcrafty type. Stuff much from what you'd expect of someone who would be living in a house and performs these sort of rituals. Okay, Now, inside the home was also there was a construction of a slab that he was apparently told he needed to lay down on in the kitchen. Now that slab was dressed with flower petals as part of the ritual for quote, a flower bath. His instructions were to lay down on his back and close his eyes and wait for I quote money to fall from the sky. Now what's going to happen is as he lays there, they're kind of like dropping rose petals and flower petals upon him. Right, So he did his mona and and her husband told him to do, and they were dropping those petals on top of him in this flower bath, and he felt the petals hitting his body and his face as if it were the riches falling from the heavens. But then all of a sudden, there was a different feeling, the feeling of an axe chopping clean through his exposed neck.
Speaker 2: Oh no, yep, okay, yeah, I knew it was going to go somewhere, but I didn't know where it went.
Speaker 1: To axe in the.
Speaker 2: Neck, Oh my goodness, okay, you good, bruh. I could hardly listen to that. It's like the anticipation building from my body.
Speaker 1: I was just like losing it the moment I said the feeling of an axe. You moved away from your mighty and started cringing before I even said what happened?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, okay, oh this poor person, Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: So Maslin was quickly reported missing the next day, on July second, as this took place in July first in nineteen ninety three, after there was a withdrawal of thirty thousand ringots, which was then about twelve thousand dollars in US dollars from a Kula Lumpar bank. Oh geez, which Kula Lamparp? Sorry, is the area, not the bank specifically, it's the area, okay. An important clue for the police as they knew where to start looking.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: As it turns out, the day after Maslin's slaying in cold Blood, Mona decided that a shopping spree was an order.
Speaker 2: Oh you know, I started this podcast feeling and bringing bad for her. Yep, now I just h is it get worse? Well, no, it's it's just this one situation, okay, geez.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she decided, Yeah, a shopping spree, unbelievable. She probably felt that the money was owed to her.
Speaker 2: Honestly, probably, Yeah, I wouldn't. I wouldn't put it past her.
Speaker 1: So she went shopping and even bought herself a Mercedes Benz and splurged a little extra on herself because you know, she deserves it, and got a facelift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she deserves it, my ass, she deserves it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the day after slaying a dude, she goes withdraws a shit ton of money from his bank and goes in a shopping spree.
Speaker 2: And gets a facelift and a car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a Mercedes.
Speaker 2: Wow, real winner right here we got.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, Mona clearly had the fucking, the fucking hootspa. There we go.
Speaker 2: That's the hootspa.
Speaker 1: To believe she was gonna get away with it, honestly.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm sure she thought that she was totally getting away with this. And like you said, she thinks that that money was completely out to her. She probably doesn't think she did anything wrong. She didn't get all the money, so she took his life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm going to go back a little bit here because you said that there's something for like believing in yourself.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: I honestly think that she actually believed in her own abilities and chalked this whole like him dying up to bad karma like kind of thing for not listening to her in the place, like he pretty much did it to himself because he didn't pay her. So it's like, well, it's bad ju ju on you then that that's my assumption.
Speaker 2: It makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think she was literally caught up in her own sharade and she began to believe her own falsibilities. That's what I think.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean a lot of people in those kind of positions and stuff do, Yeah, they totally do. It's like I was just came to mind as like cult leaders and stuff, right, yeah, I mean how.
Speaker 1: Else do you explain like using the card the very next fucking day. She believed she can just get away with it. She believed that she was fucking magic. That's what I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, it didn't take long for a break to come in this case, and it doesn't come from anywhere you would actually guess or expect. On July twenty second, police ended up arresting a young man who was higher than a fucking kite wandering public streets. So a couple of foot patrol officers arrested him and brought him in. Very lucky that these foot patrol officers just happened to run into this individual, and this individual in question just so happened to be a twenty three year old man named Jarima who's sin Mona's assistant.
Speaker 2: Really yes, oh my goodness. Okay, So at.
Speaker 1: This point drama or dry me sorry, Jerimi is how he say his name. Was only facing a bit of jail time maybe at worst, you know, maybe a fine and slap on the wrist, and back in his way. Right, he's basically just high in public, so okay.
Speaker 2: I was just like, that's really all he's done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it, h okay. However, something had happened when he was arrested and they began questioning him regarding his inebriation before he was fully sober. He actually ended up implementing implication I can't talk today, implicating himself in the murder of Maslin.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: His statements were complete, jumbled for the record, they're rambling, incoherent at first, but the police were able to pick up some crucial pieces of information and most importantly a name Maslin Idris hm hm.
Speaker 2: So if you got a big juicy secret, don't get drunk or high or whatever and spill all your means.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or just don't get high. You know that I'm drunk in public and you know, Yeah, substance abuse is bad kids, let's put it that way. It is, yep, but yeah, it was basically he just started going off and confessing to the police about this shit.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was confessing to being involved in the disappearance, which is ridiculous. And because of that, the police pressed forward and questioned him on the information, and he began telling them the wild tale of black magic and rituals.
Speaker 2: Whoa, Okay, I'm not gonna lie. I do actually really, I'm enjoying this. You're enjoying this, Like this is good?
Speaker 1: What specifically? What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Well, it's just hilarious because the next morning or whatever, when this person is sober, like they're gonna just be like fuck yeah, like holy shit, and.
Speaker 1: This, like this whole case is just a shit show of just like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh, and he also mentioned a name Mona Fandy.
Speaker 2: Really okay, went all out. Yeah, I just went to town here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he mentioned Mona Fandy. Oh you know that famous witch doctor. Yeah her, wow, the one that police already know who she is, because she's that famous witch doctor. Oh, the ones who just happens to own the bungalow down the dirt road that just so happens to be in the area where Maslin's credit card was used to make a large withdrawal holy day of his reported appearance. Yeah, that Mona wow.
Speaker 2: Because like, honestly, they might they probably would not have figured it out otherwise.
Speaker 1: Honestly, probably not.
Speaker 2: Because I just feel like she probably would have been very good at bring up her church steps.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, oh, we're going to talk about covering up the steps here in a minute. But that wasn't everything that Jarami said, though. He said even more. He claimed that the most crucial piece of evidence that the police needed lay waiting to be found at that bungalow. So him and the officers officer officers to hear that. Yeah, officers went for a little drive. Mona and her husband were quickly, of course, arrested, and police went searching the house for a rickety little shed out back and sure enough, in this rickety little brick shed there was this evidence that Jerami was talking about. Detectives opened the building and inside they found a patch of newly poured concrete in the center of the floor.
Speaker 2: What yep, wow, Okay, my brain had gone somewhere. I thought they were going to like be dissecting this body or something using it for their their rafts stuff.
Speaker 1: No, no, not quite. There was there was a fresh tomb, if you will. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 2: Interesting though, because I don't know if that would be like a great way to hide a body. It seems kind of suspicious.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, only if you're looking for a body a nice cement floor in a shed, I guess why not? Sure, Either that's not a suspicious thing for me, or I know a lot of sheds that hold a lot of bodies.
Speaker 2: Oh god, Because a lot.
Speaker 1: Of people will pour a concrete pad and then build something on it. Right, it's a foundation, I guess.
Speaker 2: So I mean, wow, okay, yeah, okay, make.
Speaker 1: A floor in your shed, and then people aren't going to be the wiser, especially the older it.
Speaker 2: Gets, right, Holy heck huh Okay.
Speaker 1: So obviously a team was brought in to break open and search through the concrete. Through digging, they would eventually find remains six feet down into the dirt. Sorry, approximately six feet down to the dirt. It was, of course Maslin. His remains were decomposed and he was chopped up into eighteen different pieces.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: The whole of course reeked of decay.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: But it also contained more than his remains. It also included things like an axe, knives, other tools and items that were used and found from the murder scene.
Speaker 2: Why the heck did they chop him up into so many pieces?
Speaker 1: Probably for easy disposable you know, carrying out to the backyard or something like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, interesting, or.
Speaker 1: As you say, it could be some other ceremonial things that they were after.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I was like they might be using his body for things.
Speaker 1: I should also say, actually that in the Corner's notes it was mentioned that the body appeared to have been partially skinned, which also plays into the whole witchcraft ceremonial things.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, like, okay, if there is a bunch of jars and stuff in there, don't you picture one of the jars to be like pieces of skin?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Probably one in a mason jar seal that shit.
Speaker 1: Up eyeballs and shit, oh yeah, Newts, I have Newt puppy dog's tails.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Which that honestly just shows me that the whole her believing her own bullshit thing is extremely true because behind the scenes, guess what they're doing. They're not putting on a show to anyone. They have a dead body and they are dissecting it, skinning it. So they're doing this for their own amusement or their own rituals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna I'm I think rituals. I'm going with that.
Speaker 1: Well, rituals are not though. It's the one thing that really gets me is they tried to cover their tracks, and honestly, like I mean, they kind of did a good job of it, Like I think they could have like well, you even said they probably would have gotten away with it.
Speaker 2: So I mean, if you're covering your tracks of something, then you know you did something wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, other than like you know, the the credit card thing and having a fucking witness at the scene, you know, fucking a for effort, I guess.
Speaker 2: But they really trusted this assistant.
Speaker 1: Oh did they ever? Especially if they know that he's getting high and wandering the fucking streets. Yeah, everything, they didn't know. He's getting caught by the comps and spilling the beans.
Speaker 2: No kidding, spilling the beans. Yeah, that's what he did. Yeah, and he like he is going to be in trouble too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well he was actually the one who struck the blow. He was the one who had the axe.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, seriously. Yes, so they even made someone else do this the dirty work completely.
Speaker 1: Yes, now I should clarify though I don't have that written in my notes. I remember reading, but I can't remember the resource for that, so I could be wrong on that particular piece.
Speaker 2: But it makes sense. I bet you they would totally do that.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure he was the one with the acts.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, moving on to their trial, Mona Mohammed and Jeremiah Drymy were tried before the judge his name was Dat took Macartar sid In. I believe, I really hope I said that right. In nineteen ninety five, they were all charged with murder under section three zero two of the Malaysian Penalty Code, a crime which carries a mandatory death sentence. Wow, okay, mandatory good. So if found guilty, mandatory death.
Speaker 2: Sentence well, yeah, they took someone else's life quite easily here.
Speaker 1: Now, the trial was a absolute media sensation. A famous witch doctor and her beloved husband in their late thirties accused of a gruesome voodoo related murder. The entire time while going to court, Mona wore expensive outfits each day, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Oh my gosh, she was using this.
Speaker 1: Yep, she was looking her absolute best, thrived in the media attention, and she continued her own ritual that she had since she was a kid, of always keeping that beautiful show stopping smile on her face.
Speaker 2: Disgusting.
Speaker 1: She loved every bit of attention that she was getting, which, like you just said, disgusting.
Speaker 2: So like she just literally wanted to be in the limelight and she didn't give a shit how or how she was there really exactly. That is so gross. Like I am so disgusted right now. Oh tell me, I was going to eat an English muffin after this. Now I'm not sure I want to.
Speaker 1: That is so oddly specific. I was gonna eat an English muffin, But now this bitch can fuck off.
Speaker 2: Yeah now I'm just like not hungry anymore, all right, Okay, I don't know how I can top that.
Speaker 1: Well. The case lasted sixty five English muffinless days and heard evidence from seventy six different witnesses. The prosecution told the court that money was a clear motivation for the murder and pointed to the shopping spree, you know, having a big old facelift and a brand new Mercedes Bins. Jerimi also testified against Mona and Fandi, who's sorry, I have his last name there, Mohammed so Mona and Mohammed and revealed the gruesome details of the murder as he was there himself.
Speaker 2: And sorry just to clarify something too, so like witnesses and stuff, I imagine it's other people that were, like, I don't know what you call them, clients of hers.
Speaker 1: So I couldn't find exactly who these witnesses were, but.
Speaker 2: For that many, I feel like some of them are probably that hey, because there wasn't like any many witnesses of the crime or anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to assume it's a lot of people business related, you know, who can attest to specifically, since the motivation is money, motivate like for spending how much she charged people living the lavish life with her, and witnessing that sort of stuff, witnessing her business, what she would do and perform at rituals, So I would assume that, Yeah, a lot of them are probably going to be clients.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So now, the only defense from Mona and Mohammad was that he owed them money for the rituals and the talismans they provided. That's basically the some of their defense.
Speaker 2: Well he owed us money, Wow, because that justifies it completely apparently in their mind, I guess. And they didn't buy the sounds of it too. They didn't even need the money, right, No, they didn't, So that just doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: No, So, yeah, they pieces of shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it only took seven jury members just seventy minutes to reach a unanimous verdict of guilty against all three defendants. Yes, Mohammed and Mona smiled when the foreman of the jury delivered the verdict on the ninth of February nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 2: Why ugh, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, because they fucked up. The judge then passed the death sentence on each of them. He said that they would be taken from the court to a recognized facility aka at prison and later be hanged until they were dead. After hearing her sentence, Mona said this, I am happy and thank you to all Malaysians.
Speaker 2: Really hey, like by getting this guilty, they would have known that they were basically going to die. But it doesn't seem to have bothered them at all.
Speaker 1: No. Right here, it says like after her sentence, not after the verdict, after sentence, after you will be hanged.
Speaker 2: We'll be here. He says that now she literally is going to be famous, like she's famous forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly what she wanted. She was photographed smiling as she was led from the courtroom to prison. There's an infamous photo. You look it up, and she is a big shit eating grim.
Speaker 2: I see this.
Speaker 1: You don't want to.
Speaker 2: I need I'm going to. I'm going to look at it while I'm eating my English mother.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, that'll be one hell of an English moff. And I guess now. Of course, all attempts for appeal were dismissed, all three attempts from each individual, and on Friday the second on November of November sorry in two thousand and one, in a Kanjang a Kajang prison. Before dawn, the trio were each handcuffed and hooded in their holding cells adjacent to the execution chamber, and then led to the gallows with their three British style nooses dangling from a big old metal beam.
Speaker 2: Oh yikes, yikes.
Speaker 1: There they were hanged, and they were left to hang for an hour before being pronounced dead. A prison official said the trio expressed no remorse at the pre dawn execution.
Speaker 2: M So it's almost like they just accepted it and they were fine with that.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, it's like that that's what they fucking wanted. They wanted the limelight, they wanted the stardom, they wanted the infamy, which it kind of sucks to talk about this case in that sense now, Yeah, but also in that it's like, fuck, you guys. You know, we're gonna talk about it, and we're going to talk about how much you guys fucking suck and your big pieces of shit.
Speaker 2: And no kidding. Yeah, I'm just like, it's because I imagine like a lot of people in that moment though, were just like terrified and oh my gosh, like trying to figure out how they could like possibly a last minute get out of this, but they just didn't just mind blowing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, the one nice thing to sum this all up. After the executions, Maslin's widow, Dateene Farida uh told reporters that she could finally bury the past, which is.
Speaker 2: Like, which is awesome good. I mean because she's like the main victim here in a sense, because she has to continue her life and know what happened to her husband and why he was doing this, and because he wanted to be successful, and I probably imagine he probably wanted to be successful like for her and everything. Right, So that's like a tough pill to swallow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be something that I'm sure she'll be thinking about for a long long time to come. So that is the story about this fucking bitch mona fandy and her fucking husband and assistant pieces of shit.
Speaker 2: No kidding. I did not expect this story to go that way. No, I mean when you first started, I was just like, oh, this is interesting, But now I like, literally do not like this woman whatsoever.
Speaker 1: It's very relatable at the beginning, you know, a young girl who dreams of stardom and be on the stage and doing what she can to get there and working hard. But then it just.
Speaker 2: It becomes very unrelatable.
Speaker 1: And very dark and very twisted. But it also makes me think, like how long did she have this in her? Was that smiling at a young age, really innocent wanting to be a pop star or was that just something sinister right out of the gate.
Speaker 2: Could be Actually I never thought about it like that. Eh, Like this she was just like a murderer in the works.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe the whole pop star thing was just like a mask, like a facade, and then you know she couldn't that facade wasn't getting her anywhere. And then when she went to the witch doctor black magic thing, she peeled away the mask and it was just who she really was, this creepy, fucking, vile human being.
Speaker 2: Like what a disturbing story because, like we said too, like she would have had interest in that, right, Yeah, you just don't all of a sudden. I think one day like fail at one thing and like go to something else and not have had an interest in it.
Speaker 1: Well kind of, I mean to be fair. I mean myself, like I'm undiagnosed, but we pretty much are certain I have ADHD, right, And the thing for me that I really get going is hyperfixation. I find something that piques me interest, I dive into it headlong, headlong, So it might not be something if I guess anything like that. She could just have one day heard it from a friend and then started reading about it and then it just really piqued her interest and she should do this.
Speaker 2: I really think that you make all this money from it though. Wow, huh that's a wild story. Yeah, interesting, well done, It's.
Speaker 1: A crazy one. Patrons are good at selecting those good ones.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, they are well. I think a lot of them too had never heard heard this story covered by anyone, so that's why it was a big interest in right.
Speaker 1: And it's a roller coaster. So I hope that you guys enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my head's spinning.
Speaker 1: If you want to join us over on Patreon so you can have a vote in these episodes once in a while, you can go ahead and take a look in the show notes or the description, whatever you want to call it. We got a link there. We also have a link to our Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, our website. You can go support us, and you can even just support us by listening like you are right now. So thank you so so much for being here. We absolutely appreciate it, and of course, as always stay wicked,