Speaker 1: What is up, guys.
Speaker 2: Welcome back for another Thursday of Raising Serotonin. Oh it's been a minute, it's been a minute, but we're back.
Speaker 1: We're back. We're feeling good. The sun is shining. I have my window open. It's gonna be over eighty degrees.
Speaker 2: I'm going to the Phillies. You know, everything feels good. I feel very nice right now. I hope you are feeling good yourself, or you might be listening to this episode because you saw the title and you were intrigued. Whatever you are in right now, whatever you're feeling, just know that I see you, I feel you, and I hope you know that you are loved here and I appreciate you taking the time to listen to this episode or just this podcast in general. Quick little side note if you have not done this yet, and I know this is a big ask, but you don't even have to stop the episode. If you can just go rate and review the podcast on whatever you're listening on, that really helps me move forward. I had a big goal for the end of the year, but I didn't hit that goal, so I'm still trying for it. If you can just go on, if it's Spotify, all you have to do is just click the stars under the little picture up in the left hand corner and just hit five stars. And for Apple, if you're listening on that, you scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and there'll be a section where it says rating and review. If you don't want to do a typed review, that is fine, but as long as you were just rating at five stars.
Speaker 1: I would appreciate that so so much.
Speaker 2: It really does help me and it helps us reach other people that are looking to raise their serotonin as well, and that's what we're here for.
Speaker 1: So I appreciate you. I love you. But let's get back to the episode.
Speaker 2: I want to catch you up for what feels like forever ago, but it's really just been a month. But I took a break and it wasn't intentional or anything like that. I was just backed up with work and school and practicum and I needed, honestly, my full energy and focus on that.
Speaker 1: And that's okay.
Speaker 2: So for the time being, I had to just really focus on those things and put the podcast on the back burner. And this week I have a lighter load. So here we are, and it's not like I want to put the podcast on the back burner. But I've explained before that I'm just in a really heavy season with school and I only have about a year left of year and a half, I guess, and I can do it, and then I'll be back full time, I promise. But I want to catch you up on life because it's really what brings this topic to the forefront. I've actually have an episode that's similar to this topic itself, but they're definitely totally different eras like that was in twenty arrows. Jeez, that was in twenty twenty three when I recorded the first one percent better keep Growing type of episode. And though this one is titled the one percent Better Mentality, something that I don't think that I'll ever stop talking about. I have it tattooed on my arm. I think I'll probably always have episodes that are dedicated to this topic because it's just something that I am constantly going to be reminded about and really shout out to my boyfriend and my friends for constantly reminding me of the one percent better mentality that I preach so often, and like I said, literally tattooed on my body because I can even forget what that looks like for a second, and I did, and I want to be vulnerable and talk to you, talk to you guys about it and how I navigated through that. So before I even dive into the story, something that I think is a good reminder for all of us to constantly be reminding ourselves of is that we're human and nothing that we're doing well, I mean, at least I hope is purposely supposed to be bringing us down. And of course we can get into our heads and experience things that we do not deserve or want, But at the end of the day, I think we are always going to be stronger than we give ourselves credit for. Though we fall down, we stand up ten more times. We see something that we don't like, Okay, we have a moment and then we grow from it. And those things are human and we have emotions, we have reactions, and anytime that something happens, just know that it's a growth moment. And I know that's like, Okay, I don't have to be growing all the time. And I totally get that, and you can have a different mindset, but and I'm not going to take that away from you ever, but this is where this is coming from, and We're just human beings, and I want us to know that none of us have to have it figured out. So anyway, this past month, I have been working on what I thought, and don't get me wrong, it was a wonderful it was a smart it was a well put together presentation of what I truly wanted to get across. But I was working on a group for this student athletes at the school that I'm at for practicum, because long story short, the school will be closing in a few years. So this upcoming school year, the athletics are stopping, and they're stopping at this at the end of the school year and will not be returning full athletics like division whatever they are.
Speaker 1: I truly don't even know.
Speaker 2: Whatever division that they are. It's only going to be the club sports. And so for those who do play a sport right now or did in the fall, because there was some fall sports too, they have to make a really difficult decision whether to figure out if they can go play at a different school and what that would look like, or if they are staying where I'm at and they're going to finish what their degree is and without playing a sport, or maybe they're still going to transfer and not.
Speaker 1: Play a sport in general, whatever that looks like for them.
Speaker 2: I wanted them to know, and I wanted to show my support for them and know that they're supported in the counseling center if they needed to talk about anything for because there's only a few weeks left to school, and I said to them, I know that this.
Speaker 1: Is the pressure time.
Speaker 2: And though there was two different groups, I talked to the freshmen and sophomore about sophomores about something else, and the juniors and seniors about more like career and transitioning into the real world, that type of stuff. But I regardless, I wanted them to know that they had a place to come if they needed support. And it was also giving them tips and tricks based.
Speaker 1: Around mental health and just athletics in general.
Speaker 2: So like I said, I didn't get negative feedback, that's the last thing I got, and I didn't get negative feedback from the LPC I work under as well, But I didn't make it necessarily the most clinical connection in this specific presentation. It was more motivational, kind of like the shell, like a podcast, a reminder, a teaching moment, And though that is not wrong at all, sometimes there's a time place for that, but there just needed to be an additional component of the clinical piece to make it a true group quote unquote therapy session. And in my mind, that's not necessarily what I thought was beneficial. And though I've never met I've met a handful of them, but I don't know them personally. And though the LPC has said they've done groups and stuff like this before, I wanted to take a different approach. I wanted to put myself out there. I wanted to not be like him basically, and there's nothing wrong with that, even in the slightest bit. I wanted to have my own thing. And the students seem to have received it well and understood everything that I was saying. I was clear and to my point, and that was feedback that I got from the LPC as well, but which yay, like we are going to take that as a huge win. Like I said, nothing wrong with that, But if I'm being real, after getting that feedback, and even because it happened at five o'clock at night and I was hungry at that point, I didn't want to debrief everything. I wanted to take the night to process everything. So I'm like I said, if I'm being real, I had this weight on my chest for that night, and then like Friday and Friday night, I really had to just let the tears come out. It wasn't a full breakdown, but I was definitely feeling a pressure of some sort and was talking it out with Caine and processing it on my own and saying things that made me not have the best self confidence, and realistically I was in my head, I was putting that pressure on myself to do better, to be better, to have it all figured out by myself with no other help, and that's not realistic for me to do in this situation. And I needed more support than I thought, and I needed more guidance than I thought, and that's all part of the learning process in itself.
Speaker 1: So I also want to just preface this, I haven't taken.
Speaker 2: A group therapy class yet, and I don't even take that till this upcoming summer, the end of the and at the end of May.
Speaker 1: And I was.
Speaker 2: Going fully blind into this, and though yes I had an idea and outline of like what this could look like, but like I said, I wanted to be different than what he was doing or has done in the past, and he let me run with it and I learned from it, and oh yeah, I really just I sure as heck did learn from it. And that's the best part, you know. But don't get me wrong, it felt like a lot and like I was telling the students and I, like I have said before, we are not supposed to have this all figured out. And okay, if you do amazing ten out of ten, I'm rooting for you. But I'm still trying and I'm still learning, and that's personally where I want to be. Like that's how I personally grow, from doing the work, from figuring it out, from doing something over and over again, just taking that one percent each day to move myself forward. My point even telling you this is to show you that being human looks like doubting yourself but also picking yourself up at the same time, and even not like, okay, it has to be the same thing. Like you're doubting yourself and also picking yourself up at the same time, and those can be two different things. But I want you to know that you can. You can hold both at the same time if you need to, and even if it is with support, you are still standing back up to do the work again, and that's something to be proud of, and that's something that I am proud of, because I totally could have ran away from it. I could have said this isn't for me, and though I said, maybe group setting isn't my favorite thing, maybe it's not for me.
Speaker 1: And though I've only done it once.
Speaker 2: I feel like I could thrive in other areas, and so I'm making connections.
Speaker 1: I'm doing the work.
Speaker 2: But it's not for to say that I'm never gonna do it again, because that's just stopping myself and limiting myself and putting myself in a box. Of course, I don't have to love every single aspect of every single thing that I do, but it's a part of it. And I think that's even a lesson in itself, because before I've probably been like f that I'm never doing that again, Oh my god, worse experience.
Speaker 1: No, it wasn't even like that.
Speaker 2: And even if I didn't get the exact feedback that I wanted or the results that I expected or the conversations.
Speaker 1: That I had hoped for, it was something to be proud of.
Speaker 2: And I can check that off the box that I did that in my first five months of being in the field, and yes, there's a time and a place for group settings, but this was something that, like I said, was something that they've never gotten before, and I wanted to be different.
Speaker 1: So okay, let's be proud of that.
Speaker 2: And that's how I'm taking it. It's that's the lesson, that's the growth, that's the teaching moment in itself, and that's the one percent better mentality to keep going, to keep growing, to see it in a different lens that you might not have seen it before. And something that I have to say is that in that exact moment, that's not how I saw it. It wasn't until two days later, until I had that little, my little mouth down Friday night, until I realized what actually was in front of me, because I wasn't one hundred percent sure how it went in my mind, like I thought, Okay, this did go I didn't think it went bad. In the moment, I didn't. I had said, I think that went good. I think this went better than that. I probably could have done this, and then we just said okay, debrief and then we'll talk about it tomorrow. And there were things that there were way more positives and negative. And though I still held on to that pressure until the nighttime and had to get that physical release from the crying, that's where it all is. That one percent that's me moving forward, because like we said, we could go back to the no, I'm not doing this, I'm never doing this again. This isn't for me. And with all of that being said, this is mindset work. This is truly something that you have to be so hard on yourself about because you did the work, you got to this point. Why are you stopping? And this is what I'm telling myself in my head. Why am I talking to myself this way? Why am I thinking this way? And I have to talk myself through this. And this is mindset work that I'm personally doing, and if I talk about it on here, it holds me more accountable. And being accountable is what I told myself I was going to do in twenty twenty six. Not that I wasn't accountable before, but that's my word, that's my passion this year. Every time I'm at my workouts, they say pick an intention for yourself before class starts, And every single time I say to myself accountability, I'm showing up to do the really hard work. In all of the areas that I'm in right now, I'm moving myself forward when it's really hard, when it's uncomfortable, when it's things that I don't see myself doing and then I have to do them, or vice versa that I really want to do and don't get to do. But there's a time and place for all of this. It's moving the needle forward that matters, not the actual specific work that you're doing, and that's not taking away from the work that you're doing. It's just let's think about it in a sense of like, Okay, you did do something. Yes, it doesn't matter that at exact result. Maybe that's better way of phrasing it. The result isn't the answer. It's you doing the work, and the result comes from you doing the work. In the long run, it's seeing yourself grow each and every day. Honestly, even in the smallest ways, I feel like it's more incredible sometimes because then sometimes you don't notice those things, and then down the road you do see them. And even in that moment when you don't see it, that's okay, because you will. And I just want to take the last part of this episode and talk you through the two mindset things that I kind of came up with after going through this experience last week, and things that I'm going to work on and remind myself through. Like I said, this is the stuff that I am actually personally doing in the moment, because I yes, it was good to feel that way, Like I woke up Saturday morning, was like, Okay, I feel better, Like I'm glad I talked to that out and it wasn't gonna weigh on me for the rest of the semester the rest of the time, like whatever it's going to look like I had to talk about in that moment, And like before I was mentioning, it could have looked so different. I could have just totally said fis no, no no. But I've been doing the work and I don't want to give up on myself and you don't deserve to give up on yourself either. So the first mindset area that I'm working on, and this is coming from the story that I had I started with about my group and something to help with your mindset and reminding yourself of the one percent better every day mentality is really to name whatever you're feeling, but don't become it, And that's kind of what I was saying. If I I'm glad that I woke up Saturday morning and didn't feel that anymore because I didn't want to hold onto that because I didn't want it to be true. I knew that it wasn't true. I knew that I meant. I know that I meant for this, I know that I'm supposed to be doing this. But when self doubt starts to creep in, instead of solely thinking the worst of the worst, or maybe letting that wait stay on your chest longer than you need to talk about it with someone you love and or trust, I don't believe that holding on to something that you know is true isn't true is gonna do anything for you. But having that support system behind you, the reminders that you are figuring this out, you're working through the hard things, that's powerful. That's a good check. That's reminding you that what you are working towards is in the future. Having that person or people or group or mentor or friends, whatever it looks like. Having that person say, Okay, you can do this, like I'm glad that you have feelings and emotions, let's talk through it. What's coming up for you, what else is happening, Because you don't deserve to solely sit with that self doubt. That doesn't that does not serve you. And I want you to know that you do have a support system, even if that is me. I'm here to listen to these things. The second mindset reminder that I'm working on right now is the bar doesn't ever need to be higher than what you have in front of you, meaning you aren't expected to know and be everything at one time, even if it feels like that, because I know what that pressure feels like, and that's not a fun pressure. The pressure that is the self de out, the anxiety, whatever it is coming up for you and looking like you are worth more than that. You are allowed to slow down. And that's even a great other reminder in itself, like slowing down to see what you have in front of you, to maybe double check your work, to figure it out, to take another deep breath, to collect your thoughts, to not have such a reactive response. Check what's in front of you so you can raise the bar to your ability. Not with someone else expects or what you think someone else expects, it's what you have in front of you. It's your capabilities. And of course you can always raise the bar, you can step out for the bar. You can do more than what you thought in a moment. But that's leveling up, that's moving one percent better. All of that is included in your little steps. So everything that you're doing, the pre work, the mindset work, emotional work, the physical work as well, if that's counting in the situation that you're doing, all of that is your one percent. And I know you want to be like, oh what if I want more than one percent, because I've also thought that too. Your one percent can be a lot, like it doesn't need to just be like super tiny like one hundred percent versus one. No, your one percent is your day of you moving forward, you moving the needle. It's just supposed to be a mindset of I can do hard things and I'm doing them because they're in front of me and I.
Speaker 1: Am choosing to do them.
Speaker 2: Before we close this episode out something that I want to ask, something that I want you to ask yourself, Actually, have you been holding the bar too high? Or maybe are you holding onto something and you haven't named it yet. Now you don't need to fix quote unquote fix either of these things right now today, maybe just start to note to sit and that's enough.
Speaker 1: That's one percent in itself. Everything that you're.
Speaker 2: Doing is worth the work and it's going to pay off because you're going to be a better person from it. You are worth that work and you are so loved here. And I will chat with you guys soon.
Speaker 1: Bye.