Speaker 1: Dad taught me how to swear and listen to your mom.
Speaker 2: Somebody asked him Happy Father's Day, just like thank you Pop, Love you Daddy. Fifty five KRS the talk station. Heyo by the fifty five kr CED talk station. Happy Friday Eve, of course, a sad and tragic day.
Speaker 3: We will be talking with.
Speaker 4: iHeartMedia Aviation next for Jay Ratliffe, that horrific plane crash in India. He'll join the program at the bottom of the hour, as he does every Thursday. I am pleased to welcome back to the fifty five KRC Morning Show from the Cincinnati Enquirer. Somebody's at least reporting on local things. Scott Whartman, welcome back to the morning show. It's always great having you on.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Brian.
Speaker 4: Something I think everybody was talking about, at least of late, one of many murders in the city of Cincinnati, but rather horrific and under really really tragic circumstances, the death of I guess you did have to have pro Bowl met with Sarah Handinger regarding her husband's slaying in their home by a guy who was supposed to be on an ankle monitor who cut it off. In February was widely reported by from others an announcement from police Chief Teresa Thiji they did not even know that that guy was at large. Talk about a breakdown in the system. What's your what's your analysis? And after talking with the folks involved with the AFTABS, meeting with Sarah Henninger.
Speaker 1: Well, a lot of the city had been quiet in the days following the incident, and then on Wednesday, the mayor met with Sarah Henninger, the wife of the man that was stabbed in their home and over the rhine, and he basically listened to her concerns because she's been very vocal on social media that she wants changed so this doesn't happen again. She feels the system broke down after the suspect cut his ankle, monitor off, he fell off the map, and basically with the mayor and the police chief, they were both in the meeting on Wednesday morning, they said that they were not notified. The police chief issued pretty strongly worded eight minute video statement that evening after the meeting saying that, you know, blaming the state for not notifying her and that's kind of like the big question here, who was responsible? We haven't really gotten an answer on that yet. The state hasn't really responded on exactly you know how that was supposed to work. But from sources I talked to, they said that he was notified, like it was flagged in the system, and they were looking for him actively. So you know how that should have worked. We're still trying to answer that.
Speaker 4: Well, the question then is they were looking for them if if the since I Police Department didn't get alerted that he was out and about and had cut off his ankle monitor and fled the halfway home, and so he was at large. Obviously a demonstrably violent man given the reason he was locked up previously. He went on to commit another robbery then and then ultimately we have the murder of Patrick.
Speaker 3: Henger.
Speaker 4: Yes, it wasn't the Ohio Parole Board that was responsible for monitoring him.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it was the state. He was under the state supervision. And again the details on exactly, you know, we're still sorting out how that was supposed to work. But he was, he served a nine year prison sentence, was put on supervised release, and then when he cut off his ankle monitor, they didn't really know where he was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, see that to me sounds like, you know, it's one of those things you see in movies. Issue in all points bullet and we got a dangerous guy who's cut off his ankle monitor. He's probably up to no good given his criminal conduct in the past. Here's a picture of him. Here's crime stopper bad guy. The week we do that every week on the morning show. Was there a crime stopper alert out there on him? Were the police department provided with photos and information? And you know where he typically hangs out is wherever? That's it seems to me just should be the normal order of business. But if the police department's not notified about it, then they're not going to be out looking for him.
Speaker 3: Duh, right, yeah, and that.
Speaker 1: Is These are some of the answers that Sarah Henninger and the city want to get coming out of this. And these are answers of right now we just don't.
Speaker 4: Have, Okay, And I know some of the reforms that Sarah Harringer was asking for, it's signed to me based on the reporting I read the AFTAB provol was in a cord and had no objection to what she was asking for, and also was desirous of bringing about some change to the system. So at least it doesn't sound like he's being an obstructionist.
Speaker 1: No. I mean, when he met with her, it sounded like he listened to her concerns and he agreed that it was unacceptable that those were his words in the statement that he released and vowed the work with her. And she said that she's going to be very public as she works with the city to keep everyone notified of what's happening and kind of keep the heat on to see that something happened and that there is some meaningful change.
Speaker 4: Well, it was a business owner and over the Ryan, I think there were residents of over the Ryan. Patrick Herringer had a gym there active in the community. By all accounts, are really terrific guy, and I can certainly understand her being devastated by this, but I think her online social media posts have been quite reasonable, and in spite of her current circumstances and her grief, I think everything that she said out loud are legitimate, you know, rather than just being vile and angry and screaming and yelling. I mean, she's asking for some very legitimate reforms. So one can only pray that this tragedy does result in a more efficient system because obviously there was some sort of breakdown here that doesn't look like it should have happened. Now, whether they would have found him or not, no one can answer that question. But if you don't know the guys out there, you're not going to be looking for him. Which that's the elephant in the room on this one. Scott pivoting over.
Speaker 1: And the crime really has devastated the over the Rhine community. And this is one of those things. I mean, it was someone killed in their own home, you know, it's really I mean, it's rightly you know, hit a nerve and caused you know, a lot of a lot of stress on the over the Ryan community.
Speaker 3: Which I think is already stressed out.
Speaker 4: One of the things that came out during this in the aftermath of this tragedy bad optics for the city. Who tries to paint this you know beautiful, you know, rainbows, Puppy Dog's kind of picture of the environment in downtown CINCINNTI. Crime apparently has soared forty eight percent year over and over the Rhine alone, with regard to property crimes and break ins and car thefts and car breakings and all that. It doesn't sound good, but I.
Speaker 1: Do believe looking at some of the crime statistics, I think overall, like violent crime is down. It doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it's sometimes hard to read the year the year data because there can be ambivalent, you know, conclusions that are drawn from it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I know, but see one of the interesting points that was made and I can't remember where I read it, but violent crime maybe down, and that would be like murders.
Speaker 3: In the city overall.
Speaker 4: But if you look at different areas, different communities or different neighborhoods, like over the Rhine, that's when you find out that, in fact, no, a lot of crime is up in any given area. So the statistics tend to mask sometimes the reality of what anybody's actually dealing with on a day to day basis in the communities. So we'll I'm looking for follow up reporting from Scott Wortman on the whole situation with the parole Board and what they actually do and how things are monitored and how they keep track of these folks that are out on bail with ankle monitors. There is a piece on aft have purval getting fined fifty dollars. Doesn't sound like a big slap on the wrist there with fifty bucks. What was the reason he had to pay fifty bucks for this campaign issue?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Ohio Elections Commission, which is the one that levied the fine. I mean generally, I mean that's actually kind of a hefty fine for them, because it's generally seen as I don't know, necessarily want to say toothless, but they usually aren't like severe consequences that are handed down for violations. But it was an issue. Kurt Hartman, he's a Republican attorney, often files a lot of complaints and actions against politicis.
Speaker 3: You've views a lot of.
Speaker 1: Election commission or election campaign finance filings. Noticed that there was debt on have to have pyrival's last campaign finance report that wasn't it was like six four to eight years old, and his contention was that it was eighty three thousand dollars worth of debt to three firms, a law firm and some consulting firms. His contention was, well, if it's that old, it's basically a campaign contribution and should be reported as such.
Speaker 4: So that free le basically free legal services were rendered on his part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was mister Hartman's argument. And then the Elections Commission they just ruled. They didn't really much about it other than that it was an incomplete report. They said that the mayor amended the report and then just levied a fifty dollars fine basically, and that's that's what came.
Speaker 3: Of that, all right. Did he have to pay the law firms back.
Speaker 1: Well, he's according to aftab Zone attorney, he's currently repaying the loans since Hartman's complaint. And so Kurt Hartman pointed that out. As you know, nothing was being done on this until I raised the issue, and so yeah, that was definitely part of it.
Speaker 4: Fair enough, there'd be some lawyers with a happy smiley face getting paid for the work that they did, all right.
Speaker 1: I know he got more attention for the fifty dollars just for it being a fifty dollars fine than anything.
Speaker 3: It is a slap on the wrist. I mean, I don't know what people expect by way of.
Speaker 4: Fines from the Oversight Committee high Elections Commission, but as you illustrate, they rarely do this. So even a fifty dollars fine is a higher level than most. So clearly there was a violation here, and that's what they concluded.
Speaker 3: Are pivoting over.
Speaker 4: You teamed up with Dan Horne to write an article about the Cincinnti firefighters and the fire fire department survey didn't paint a really pretty picture, did it, Scott.
Speaker 1: Now, I mean only a quarter of the firefighters responded, which I guess if you look at a lot of companies when they do those surveys, that's not necessarily unusual. But the ones that responded, no, we're not happy with their jobs. They felt like they're not being listed into by management. They felt that the hiring practices were not fair, that the promotions were not fair. This is something the work environment at the fire department. It's been a long standing issue. The previous fire chief was fired for allegedly creating a hostile work environment according to the or not addressing a hostile work environment, and so this has been an issue that's that's been ruminating in the fire department for a while.
Speaker 4: That was fire chief Frank McKinley. According to reporting that he's fighting that allegation in his discharge is he.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no. Frank McKinley is the current one Oh, I'm sorry. Yeah, Chief Washington, Yes, and yeah, he is currently fighting that.
Speaker 4: Correct, Who prompted this survey, whose idea or who is behind the survey of the firefighters, because I would really like to see one of the inst Police department because from all I've heard about that, and I have quite a few inside sources there, things aren't that good by way of morality the inst Police department.
Speaker 1: Well, according to the city manager, this is part of an overall assessment of the department and they're going to have a report in a month or two with recommendations on how to make improvements and improve the morality the fire department. So, I mean that's something that in the next month or two we shall hopefully we'll get more clear answers.
Speaker 4: To Yeah, but it was it's your report of this. This survey was conducted by last fall by a private firm. I'm just wondering, was that at Sherry Long's initiation or was it the uh the fire department union's behest I'm just wondering who was behind the survey itself.
Speaker 1: Well, at that point, at this point, we we aren't clear because the city manager hasn't said anything beyond what we had in the story, and the report has not been released wasn't released publicly yet, we had obtained a copy of it, and uh so at this point it's not quite clear.
Speaker 3: All right, have you just before we part company?
Speaker 4: They Scott Warton from the Cincinnion Choir you can find on line at cincinny dot com. Connie Pillich released the statement yesterday that I found rather troubling personally, but it seemed to be rather unprofessional for a Hamilton County prosecutor to issue this. It's regarded that no King's nationwide dad defiance which has taken place on Saturday, attacking without meaning Donald Trump, but clearly directed toward Donald Trump and his administration.
Speaker 3: Did you see that by any chance?
Speaker 1: I saw some online chatter about it, but I'll be honesity, I have not really delved into that too much.
Speaker 4: Well, I was just curious if you might consider reaching out to her for an explanation, because she points out her job as to prosecute crime.
Speaker 3: She goes.
Speaker 4: But all this is against the backdrop of such unconstitutional lawless at the federal level by an incompetent, childish, selfish, uneducated jackal who threatens our very democracy every day. Even worse, he is backed up by vile humans whose acts and advice indicate that they want to destroy our democracy and then ask people to join her on Saturday with the not Kings nationwide Native Defiance image there So it just seemed to be rather unprofessional for MI and my listeners. Standpoint, I thought might be worthy story to follow up with Connie pillach On Scott.
Speaker 1: I'll put it on the list.
Speaker 3: There you go. Hey, You're always welcome here.
Speaker 4: Appreciate you right about local stories so we can all understand what's going on in the city of Cincinnati. Scott, and I'll look forward to having you on again, and I hope you have a wonderful balance of the week you too. Thank you very much, Thanks Scott. It's a twenty right now. Fifty five care see the talk station Foreign exchange outstanding mechanics. They are imported cars, traditionally imported cars, whether from Asia or Europe or Tesla's take it. Excuse me, foreign exchange. I have it fixed for less money than the dealership, and it's been quite often substantially less, which has been my case with my oil changes.
Speaker 3: I won't regale you with that again, but trust me.
Speaker 4: Over the years, I've saved a heapload and I've been going to Foreign Exchange for all the imported cars that we have owned over the years, probably more than a decade, and I know if I had it all up, it would be a heapload of money. They take terrific care of you. As the certified Master Technician, I'll be working on your car. You'll pay less and you'll get a full warranty on both parts and service. So head on up to the Westchester location or down as the case. Maybe that's the one I recommend Austin and his team of amazing professionals there Tylersville exit off of I seventy five East two streets right on Kinglin and you are there. Online it's foreign X four in the letter x dot com to schedule a deployment five one three six four four twenty six twenty six. That's five one three six four four twenty six twenty six fifty five KRC dot
Speaker 3: Com Capital one card holders can score their I