Speaker 1: Already if you have on CARCD talk station, and a very happy Wednesday to you. Always extra special talking with Donovan and Neil from Americans for Prosperity doing great work here in the state of Ohio to try to bring about some fiscal sanity and responsibility in government. Donovan, welcome back to the morning show, my friend Brian.
Speaker 2: Always good to be with you. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: All right, So we got the budget here in the state of Ohio, and I've been on a tear constantly, of course because of the six hundred million dollars going to the Browns, and I know you have no control over that, and it's not something that Dwined vetoed, which really kind of irked me considering what he did veto But because vetos line out in veto's which our governor has the authority to do, they can be overridden. And that's what you're working on now to override some of the veto's Dwine did, and some of them making me scratch my head. It seems like everything related to providing the Ohioans with property tax relief were the subject of the veto pen and the line eye of veto. I guess sort of as a broader perspective, why did Dwine vote what I think a lot of people really would have really appreciated, which is some relief toward property taxes.
Speaker 2: Well, that's been a bit of a head scratcher.
Speaker 3: Each of these vetos, the governor does put out a veto message, you know, it's sort of a well curated, you know, statement on each one of the items in general, would I would summarize these as I understand them as the governor felt like more review was necessary before making any changes to the property.
Speaker 2: Tax system here in the state of Ohio.
Speaker 3: Which to me, Brian is ludicrous because last year there was a select committee created in last year's budget that met and vetted hundreds of hours of testimony, hundreds of organizations delivered testimony, and they developed a report that was released late last year, I think twenty one with items of recommendations.
Speaker 1: Which some of which items were the ones that were included in the bill which he vetoed then correct and.
Speaker 3: Also were items that over the last last six months had received House and Senate versions of legislation, which also Bryan received hundreds of hours of public vetting by organizations across the political spectrum local government entities and otherwise that Ultimately, the items that were included in the state budget regarding property taxes, I think were generally very well vetted, generally popular ideas that would actually solve some of the transparency and accountability issues as well as bring direct relief to property tax owners.
Speaker 1: Right, maybe not as much as we all want. I mean, they weren't going to solve the problem of our property taxes going up thirty percent or whatever in any given year when they do the review, but at least they would help in some way, so, you know, every little bit counts. I mean, I'll take a little bit. I'm not going to get one hundred percent of what I want, like how about no property tax? But at least that they provided some foundation for us to get some you know, transparency as you point out, or at least some measure of leaf. Then why not what's wrong with it? Mike Dwine, Well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that's why you're seeing such a rapid response from lawmakers to come back and start with this tranch of vetos. There are sixty seven in total, a number of them. I think they still need to do more overrights on, but at least for now, we've got a commitment you know that the legislature made yesterday calling numbers back January twenty first, eleven am to vote on overriding three the three property tax items that the governor vetoed.
Speaker 1: Okay, and before we get to the specific ones we're going to talk about, I'll probably have to take a break before we dive into those specifically. But by way of process, as I understand it, I had one of the state senators on the show, they don't have to override all the vetos at one time that they want. I mean, they can do them maybe three when they return, and then further in the year they might want to override some other vetos, So they can do little bytes at the apple or just a step by step process up to a certain deadline.
Speaker 3: Correct, they can do all that, and they can even just take these ideas as bills, right, Yeah, run these bills through the process and send the bills straight up to the governor.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of different paths the legislature has.
Speaker 1: Okay, And maybe the latter one and maybe it will be even more effective.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But if they can override the vetos, we get what we want without having to go through another legislative session and you know, through the committees, and they have that introduced and been back and forth with the House and Senate. Fair enough, let's bring Donovan O'Neil back to talk about the three ones that they're targeting and hopefully we'll get some relief from our elected officials on that and then property tax relief to follow. Seven thirty five. Right now, if you have CARECD talk station, get in touch with Foreign Exchange, get your imported car fixed traditionally manufactured in Asia or Europe, or your Tesla they are certified to fixed teslas. Now Foreign Exchange. I choose the Westchester location, where awesome. This team of ASC certified Master technicians work on our cars and they have for years and years. And the reason we go to a foreign exchange and not the dealer is because of the price. Well, I say customer service is better as well, and that goes with that saying for me, but your bottom line is the bottom line, and cars car repairs are getting really expensive, not that they always haven't been expensive, but they're going through the roof. So why not save take the sting out of a car repair by going to Foreign Exchange? You will leave with a repaired car and a full warranty on parts and service. So you got that going for you. You got more money in your pocket. There's just no reason. There's no downside with foreign exchange. I assure you of that. So the Tylersville exit off of seventy five. Go east on Tylersville only two streets. It's a real short jog from the exchange, right there, right on Kingland Drive. And you are there online foreign xform the letter X dot com five one three six four four twenty six twenty six. Please tell them, Brian said, high five one three six four four twenty six, twenty.
Speaker 3: Six fifty five krc.
Speaker 1: Jededi first one to the work. Ask got some afternoon showers, maybe a thunderstorm. High have eighty six, a few clouds over night. It will be patchy, fogg possible sixty nine for the low. Eighty six are high tomorrow with partly cloudy skies in a slim chanceer rang a few clouds overnight, muggy conditions with a low of sixty nine and a hot and human Friday with a high of eighty eight seventy three. Right now, time for traffic.
Speaker 4: From the UCE Health traffic Center. You See Health has expert traumacare focusing on prevention, treating injuries, and supporting long term recovery and rehabilitation. Learn more at you seehealth dot com. There is an accident on that I seventy one northbound ramp from Ronald Reagan Highway launch for traffic slow connecting. There also on I seventy five southbound traffic slows Paddick Road to Town Streets. I'm Heather Pasco in fifty five krc the talk station.
Speaker 1: It's seven thirty nine I fifty five KRCD Talk Station, Happy Wednesday. Brian here with Donovan and Neil for Americans for Prosperity. All right, over riding, Mike Dwines Vetos. There are three of them that you've ided that apparently they have already elected officials, have already identified to vote on overriding. Let's start with the property tax, the county budget Commission, authority and procedure. What's this one all about? What would the override do and if implemented, what would this do by way of relief for us?
Speaker 3: Well, So, one of the things that we've that's sort of been identified and vetted through last year's joint Committee and through testimony this year, is that there needs to be another layer of accountability on on behalf of the taxpayers to make sure that all of the taxing entities within a county are taxing just what they need, not what they want is how I describe it right, and so on local levels, we have county budget Commissions.
Speaker 2: These are made up of.
Speaker 3: The prosecutor, the treasurer, and the county auditor. All of our counties have these and what their job is to do is to review every year.
Speaker 2: They review the.
Speaker 3: Budget for all the political subdivisions within the county and make sure that's leving the right property taxes and collecting the necessary moneies.
Speaker 2: Owed.
Speaker 3: What the legislature started to kind of pinpoint here is that we should empower the County Budget Commission to have stronger overset on behalf of the taxpayers. So if you have a school district that's sitting on one hundred thousand dollars as for example, although in this case be forty thousand dollars, so any to go to over forty thousand, I'm sorry, forty percent cash carryover, the County Budget Commission could challenge that school board to put that money back to the taxpayers and say, hey, look, you're not using the money. You continue to go to the taxpayers and raise their property taxes. What we're going to ask you is we can say we're gonna say you can continue to collect the money you need, you can even hold forty percent of your carryover, but anything beyond that you got to give back to the taxpayers if you don't have a valid, necessary purpose to use that money. Well, that it would create a new check in balance to strengthen taxpayer protections on a local level.
Speaker 1: I get it all day long, and I understand the point of it. But would that not potentially encourage the school board to spend needlessly in order to get below that forty percent carryover?
Speaker 3: Well, I think that's one of the loopholes that can definitely occur there. But I think what part of the way the reformers like David Thomas and others who are working on this issue see this is this is a multi year effort to begin to reform structurally the way that we do this so ten twenty fifty years from now we don't find ourselves in a similar property tax crisis. So it can provide some immediate relief but then long term, the idea here is it's going to provide some structural checks and balances to make sure that we don't get into a situation like we find ourselves in today.
Speaker 1: Okay, And the other component of this just looking at the details. The devil's always in the details. The three individuals you identified in the prosecutor whoever, the three of the represents the committee. Do they have the resources, the wherewithal, the knowledge, the ability to look into each every taxing authority within the county. I mean you think about the various townships and how it's all broken down. This is a whole lot of say, school districts that they'd have to look at case by case. That's a lot a lot of work that they would have to do, and would they even do it effectively?
Speaker 3: Well, the nice thing is is that actually already exists, so they already meet They already exist within the Ohire Revice Code. What this would have done with this, the proposals would do is strengthen.
Speaker 1: That body right oversight. But they'd have to do basically an accounting of the carryover. That seems to me the really the fundamental point here is how much do they have left in their budget from the prior year of expenditures or prior budget, and are they at an over that forty percent mark given the number school districts, even in Hamilton County. I just I find it hard to believe that they'll be able to get that work done. Be honest with you, Donovan, that actually all.
Speaker 3: But see you're Brian, that information already already exists. Oh okay, so the state already has that, so you can can go and you can view that information now you can, and so it's really just giving them the authority to be able to point to this and say, look, you're sitting on a lot of cash. You're now coming to us asking and in this case in some cases coming to us asking for another levee to go on the ballot. Right, either spend the money you already have return to the taxpayers, or don't even go, you know, don't go to the ballot for more money because you're flushless cast.
Speaker 1: I was not aware of those figures existed, because you might have seems like I would have heard about that in arguments over whether or not any given school levee is justified or not. So all right, uh, item too. The twenty mili flour calculation vetoed by governor to one. What's what's this one going to do if overridden?
Speaker 3: So the twenty mili flour is a very flunky calculation. But basically, in the state of Ohio, every school district is entitled to twenty mils or two percent of the property tax evaluation within that school district. So it's guaranteed they would they that money they get. But what we've found over the years, what has occurred over the last several decades, is there are a number of levees, like fixed some emergency levees ye that are not counted within that twenty mil floor. And so what you have is you're just gonna use funny numbers for illustrative purposes. Right, ten mills of you know, existing levees are counted. You know, you got on the ballot, you've gone to the voters, and that's on within that twenty mil floor. The state automatically ups you another ten mills, so you got your twenty mil floor. Ten of that was never voted for, but it's just guaranteed. And then you have these other levees counted outside of that. What we're saying is you need to push those as many of those levees into that twenty mil floor and they all be counted, not use these creative what do you call creative loophole to pull levees outside of that floor, giving school districts the ability to sort of just automatically increase property taxes on folks without it actually going to the voter. And so what this would have done is push all of those levees that are currently carried, you know, put on the people of the state of Ohio within that twenty mili floor. Say you've got to actually, you know, count everything within that space. You can't pull things out of that floor or exclude things from that floor, and by default sort of create these unvoted tax increases on the people of Ohio.
Speaker 1: All right, and onto then Item number three, the school district property tax levy restrictions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is something we've worked on for a while. And what this would get to is it would limit the types of property taxes that school districts could levee.
Speaker 2: And so right now they can levy have a leave nine.
Speaker 3: There are nine types of property taxes that can be levied in the state of Ohio. The one I would point to just makes the most sense to me. Here is the differ replacement and a renewal levee, And so to me, Brian, that sounds about the same, right, Replacing and renewing something almost similar.
Speaker 2: It's what we find from voters.
Speaker 1: But a renewal would be a renewal of a previously set amount. A replacement might suggest that they're asking for it, you know, getting rid of the prior one, but asking for more.
Speaker 3: That's it thing, go, that's the idea, and so we just want to clarify that language. You can go ask for more money, but do it by saying you're going to ask for more money if you want to renew existing millage, renew existing millage and still collect the same amount of tax dollars from your tax base that you were looking for. It's simple stuff that brings transparency and confidence. Doesn't provide immediate relief, right, but is part of the push to structurally reform the system, which we need to do in addition to delivering some of that immediate relief, which is still you know, a work in progress.
Speaker 2: As they move through the session.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are baby steps, but at least important baby steps and going in the right direction. For the purpose of tax relief as opposed to the potential of our taxes going up more than they already have. Fair enough, absolutely well call to action from Americans for prosperity from a listening audience, I'm guessing it involves getting touch with your representatives and your senators.
Speaker 3: It always does. I think they're hearing it loud and clear. But it's important to have your message heard, share your voice, contact your state rep your state center. It's going to start in the House of Representatives. They got to do the first vote, sixty votes. It'll go to the Senate they can override, and then we've got some of this relief and some of these reforms put back into place after the governor vetoed them.
Speaker 1: Considering all the legwork that's been done up to getting these items incorporated into the budget, only to be vetoed by the wine you feel pretty confident they'll they'll they have the votes to override the vetos.
Speaker 3: I think so, And it's not unprecedented. The legislature overwrites the governor somewhat frequently. I don't have the exact numbers, but this this isn't unprecedented. These are very popular ideas again, highly vetted ideas. I think we're going to see c plus those might even see some crossover from our friends in the Democrat caucus. We're going to spend the next week or so, you know, doing events and connecting with folks and trying to understand where members are. And if there's anyone who's squishy or squeamish, you know what we'll do, broom back in the line and rushers prusure supplied.
Speaker 1: Well. I suspect to the extent there's any opposition to this, because property taxes are paid by people of all political stripes, probably the teachers unions, trying to protect their turf and get as much money as they possibly can from the tax payer.
Speaker 3: It is the only corners of Capitol Square where there is opposition to any reform, which is baffling to me, knowing that that property tax ballot initiative is a sort of damocles hanging over their head. Yeah, that's the nuclear option here. It is these types of reforms, you know, to our friends who want to see big government grow. These types of reforms can provide at least some release valve for folks who are feeling pain in their property taxes. Vetoing these just puts more fuel on the fire. And look, we got to make some big changes in the state.
Speaker 1: I'm all for it. It is that property tax bill is looming large in the background on this, of course, lighting a fire under the folks and Columbus to actually do something which they tried in the bill, but along came Governor to whine. Donovan and Neil Americans for prosperity. Thanks for all that you do on behalf of the Ohio taxpayer. I'll look forward to talking with you again next week. Have a fantastic balance of the week, my friend.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, Brian, thanks seven to fifty.
Speaker 1: Right now, if you have KR see the talk station USA Premium foam. It's the ultimate product you gotta. You're a homeowner, you got a big electric bill gas and electric electric. However, you're heating and air conditioning your home right now. I'm sure it's really bad because that bill's coming and you've been trying to keep the house temperature comfortable and it's almost impossible because you don't have enough or maybe no installation in the exterior walls. USA Foam and the Rescue highest our value foam on the