Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are.
Speaker 1: Getting off our show, idiot. The kids are crying or turning off crying. The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 3: Gold Plea inter murals, Brother, Goldpleay intermurals.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be with your adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 4: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 5: I'm not over it yet, but I've moved on. That's my stance as far as what happened at Notre Dame on Saturday. But can you move on if you're not over it? I think getting over it is kind of part of being able to move on.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Maybe I'm lying to myself.
Speaker 5: How about this? Because I can't get over it, I have to move on? Does that work? Hopefully? So welcome in Happy Tuesday. It's coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety, Nick Coffee, that is me. I hope you knew that. If not, now you do. The company man, Mister John Alden is back in the saddle after a nice, nice long weekend, some louder than life action and his Hoosiers are making some noise, even more so than they have been prior to this past week. Although it felt like it took, did it take it a little bit of a step further to where like, Okay, who the hell is Kurt Signetti got this Indiana team?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 5: So, John, welcome back. I'm happy to be happy to have you. You couldn't have been a better weekend. Good so you enjoyed the shows, enjoyed the shows.
Speaker 3: Enjoyed Indiana being you know, moving on to five and zero, enjoyed hitting a parlay in college football play.
Speaker 4: Things really couldn't have been better.
Speaker 2: Good for you.
Speaker 5: Thanks for coming back and telling me how great things are. While I'm still depressed about Louisville Notre Name, and you know, I hope my tone is a little different today than it was yesterday. I think it already is, but man, it's still just I don't even want to talk about it, and we don't really need to. I'm sure we've done enough of that with the postgame show with yesterday. But you got to bounce back, and I'm eager to see what we get on Saturday with Louisville hosting a hot SMU team in Louisville coming off of a loss where they I mean, they don't even need to watch the film. I know they did, but if they watch the film, I'm sure they're even more you know, mad at themselves. But you know, you got to respond. It happens, and a win here actually doesn't change the perception of you, I don't think as far as nationally, but these guys need it. You know, they only have one loss. It's a loss at Notre Dame, losing by touchdown to a top sixteen team. Like it's not like, oh my goodness, you got to go out there and prove to yourselves that you're a good team. But I feel like they do need to prove to themselves that they can play a clean game of football, not mistake free, because hey, mistakes happen. Nobody's perfect, but just not what we saw in the last couple of weeks at times, with just the disorganization and the self inflicted wounds, right the shooting yourself in the foot. So anyways, we'll talk more Loisll football coming up here really throughout the show, along with a lot of other things. We got our back to back Monday night doubleheaders with Monday night football in the NFL, and if they're going to give us two Monday night games, let's make sure they do whatever they can to prevent a product on the field looking anything like what Miami and Tennessee looked like last night. I mean, that was disastrous. I mean it was Will Levis versus I've already forgot the name of the guy who started for the Dolphins, who was picked up off practice squad from the Ravens.
Speaker 4: Tyler.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's him.
Speaker 5: Thank you, very forgettable name and a very forgettable, forgettable performance from him last night. He looked decent at times in Baltimore, but man, you know, not so good last night. Tyreek Hill's upset on the sideline understand annily, So they've got some real weapons in Miami, But how about Tuwatugavalowa looking more valuable anytime the Dolphins take the field without him, everybody, I think everybody realizes he's a good player. I mean the game where he went down and we started talking about will he ever played football again. He wasn't having a good game then, But I mean the results without Tua make it quite clear how valuable he actually is. And then with Will Levis, I mean, it really is unbelievable how each week he's made some of the dumbest decisions you'll see a quarterback make. You know, I think each you know, not to say other guys don't make mistakes, because they do. There's been bad interceptions, bad plays. But I don't know, like maybe maybe each week of the NFL season, if you go and look at each quarterback and you try to evaluate which one made the biggest boneheaded decision, like Will Levis might be the guy. He might be four and zero. I mean, first drive of the game last night, throws an interception to a defensive lineman and goes to the sideline. You can visibly see him. Word say it, I didn't even see him. I mean that he's seeing ghosts. It's not good. And that's what happens when you have the type of start that he has had as the quarterback for the Titans this year. And you know, I don't want to pile on and make this a Kentucky Louisville thing, like this is nothing to do with the rivalry, but people who don't give a damn about the rivalry and football between Kentucky and Louisville. Are saying what nobody would say for a long time. He's never really been good anywhere. He's got a big arm. He's made some plays, he's he's got a you know, he's got a big arm. He carries himself like a quarterback. He's got a big arm. Like he's never done anything to look like a good quarterback. He hasn't ever won, didn't get the job done at Penn State, you know, couldn't win the gig there. Moved to Kentucky, and you know, they had some success. But like, his numbers were never crazy. He was just a guy leading the Kentucky offense. And in one season they put together one of the best seasons they've ever had, and that gets attention, and then you see the guy, Yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Look at it.
Speaker 5: He's got a big arm, but like he's never really done anything statistically or you know, wins losses that like, really again, when they won ten games, that was a good season for Kentucky. All you can do is control who is on your schedule. I'm sorry. All you can is all you can lose beat he's on your schedule. You can't control it. So it's not like, you know, it proves he's bad. But when you look at the ten wins that they that they got in his first year at Kentucky when he was the starter, I mean, they weren't really beating anybody that was good at least not you know, a monument like the win that Kentucky just got against Old miss that's a monumental win for Kentucky. Will Levis never had anything close to that as a quarterback. That didn't mean he's bad, But like you know, when you take a chance on him in the first round, you know you have to realize if he has success here, it'll be the first time he's really had sustainable success. Because let's not forget his second season at Kentucky, they were very underwhelming. He lost to Vandy at home, and his numbers weren't as good. He beat Louisville both times and threw L's down both games NonStop, and that got Kentucky fans all horned up. But like as a quarterback, like he's I'm not saying he's the worst guy ever, but like with him being now the franchise quarterback for the Titans and him being this bad, Like, can it really be that big of a surprise, So last night they go to Mason Rudolph. We have Tyler Huntley and Mason Rudolph on Monday Night football. Hell yeah, just an awful, awful game, although the Titans are sticking with Will Evis is the starting quarterback, which you know makes sense. The ceiling I guess maybe higher for Will Levis than Mason Rudolph because if Rudolph was going to be the franchise quarterback for somebody, it would have probably already happened, right, But what a disgusting game. The other game was pretty good Lions Seahawks, So I guess it's beneficial that that was the protection. That was the safety net. You know, if the first game stinks, at least we have this one. And it was it was good. I mean, the Lions bounce back and Jared Goff, what a performance from that guy. Eighteen for eighteen set a new record, becoming the first quarterback an NFL history to throw for two hundred plus passing yards without throwing an incompletion. Let me think about that one hundred percent completion. Also caught a touchdown pass two. There are some numbers out there guys, and this is one of them, Jared Goff of all people, being the guy that throws for two hundred passing yards, completes all eighteen of his passes, and oh, by the way, he caught a touchdown pass two. The NFL is drunk as hell in the first month, Bizarro, NFL league, I mean just NFL can't speak National Football League is what I meant to say. Excuse me, I'm drunk too. It sounds like I can't I can't talk. But how about this Jared Goff? What a performance, what a game? And yet Dan Campbell still chose not to give him the game ball. God, that's such a hard oh football coach. And that's what Dan Campbell is. You look up hard o football coach in the dictionary. People always say that if you look something up in the dictionary, you'll see that the dictionaries I looked at never had pictures, although I probably haven't looked at a dictionary in thirty years. But here's what Dan Campbell had to say about his about his quarterback last night.
Speaker 6: Yeah well, I just gave the game ball to somebody else, so I feel awful, right, Yeah? No, I well I knew he played a heck of a game. I did not realize he was perfect. I did not know he was literally eighteen for eighteen I mean that, but but I knew he played really well. You could feel it, and.
Speaker 5: I believe him, but also find it very, very surprising that a head coach can get all the way to the postgame press conference. You know, he's got in the locker room, he's probably doing his radio interview first and then doing the press conference. Like for him to not know that his quarterback, I mean, that's instant. Like I kind of feel like it's not getting enough attention, Like that's insane. Eighteen for eighteen, and it wasn't because you know, he was throwing nothing but slants. I mean, this guy, through eighteen passes, had over two hundred yards and didn't miss one and oh, by the way, caught a touchdown pass. But I'm still not quite sure who's good and who's not in the NFL or four weeks in, we have an idea of which teams are better than others, but like those teams, like let's just say you pick a team that you would put in that bottom tier, a small tier, but you know, hey, this is one of the worst fourteen teams in the league, and then you go to the top. This is one of the best four teams in the league. We got a month's worth of data, four games for everybody. Nobody's had a buy yet, right, everybody's got four games under their belt. You take a team from that top tier, take a team from that bottom tier, and any result cannot surprise you given what we.
Speaker 2: Have right now. And I kind of hate it.
Speaker 5: There's a part of me that said, if you'd have told me that ahead of time, I'd have been like, oh yeah, give me the parody.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: And it's not even about wagering, because I didn't bet on the NFL this week, because why would I waste my money. I mean, I went out to lunch with my family, the two kiddos and my wife, had a nice lunch. NFL is just getting started. I get out the phone. I'm looking at which you know, I'm thinking about which app I'm going to go for as far as what I'm going to bet, and then I'm looking at my kids and I'm like, no, this money needs to go to them. This could be money that you know gets some donuts in the morning. Maybe you know my daughter, she needed money for a school field trip she's going on this week. That's that's better money. That money's better spent for that than me just throwing it down the drain betting on the NFL. And I'm sure there are some that have had success, but with these results, I'm just gonna assume you're all liars to make myself feel better, to make myself feel like. It's not you, Nick, it's everybody. The NFL is drunk, all right. If you want to take us with you wherever you go, you can listen live on the iHeartRadio. Listen Live It's seven ninety Louisville dot com. And if you want to be a part of the show today you can. We'd love to hear it from you. Phone lines are open five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred and you can give us a call or you can text in. Excuse me, text in on the L and N Federal Credit Union text line five oh two six five three zero seven ninety.
Speaker 2: We do have one guest set to join us. That'll be at four h five.
Speaker 5: We'll bring in mister Zach Barnett of FootballScoop dot com. Get his thoughts on you know everything going on in college football. A lot of realignment going on, but I think because it's the Mountain West in like the Mountain West, plus nobody really seems to care. But there's a lot of movement and shaking going on, which I know. I'm a nerd for realignment, always have been. But also Georgia and Bama. If you have no dog in the fight, and I'm gonna get Zach's thoughts on this. If you do not have a college football team that you care about, or if you do have one, bit like you know you're not going to play for a national championship, how could you not say, give me Georgia and Bama. Now Texas is still up there, and maybe they're as good as those two, but the results, you know, the theater if you will, in the second half between those two teams, like I want to see it again. We might get three versions of it, right because those two teams can meet in the SEC Championship and they could also meet in the National Championship, and that wouldn't shock anybody if that's what ends up happening. All Right, some other things we'll get into today. John Rostein's in Louisville. John is he now he is. I could smell him. I knew he was here. Smells like Italian restaurant mixed with.
Speaker 2: New York City subway. That fits right, It fits right.
Speaker 5: I'm kidding. He probably smells great. In fact, I'm convinced he's a robot. Like what convinced he's like not a real person. But he watched Louisville's practice today, and this is what he does. He goes around to not every I mean, although if he did, would it shock you if John Rostein went to let me see, let me Virginia Military, like because it's Rostine and because he's like he wants his brand, like his brand building has been I'm the college basketball psychopath, and he's gonna, let you know what, every opportunity he gets. That's he's a nut for the sport of college hoops. But like, there's three hundred and sixty two teams, if he went to all of them, I can't say I'd be that shocked because it's rostin. I meanistically, I don't think that's possible. But he makes trips, He observes practice, and he posts, you know, his thoughts. He tweets out you know. In fact, he's already left Louisville and he's in election and to see what Mark Pope's got. So he shared some thoughts about Louisville from his time here and then posted a quick video and we'll let you hear it. And I you know, I'm out on Rostein. I think I said it for a while now, right, what did he pick Louisville? I got eleventh in the ACC and his rankings and then he he does a video. You know, again, this is just me being you know, I guess a homer. I suppose, because we have no clue just how good any team is that is so dependent upon I mean, like Louisville and Kentucky are in a rare spot where you get the personnel to feel pretty good. But it's all brand new. And that's why at times I got to back up and say, look, this is the absolute unknown, more so than we've ever had as college basketball fans around here with our teams, because it's iraly brand new, every coach, every player, all brand new. That's exciting, but it also the excitement I think can kind of make you forget that, oh yeah, we have no clue what we're gonna get. So this isn't even like a hot take. This isn't I mean, this is not egregious. But like to hear him say, he thinks Louisville it's got a chance to be a bubble team this year. I wanted to figure out his location here in Louisville and go give him a talking to. It's not And here's the thing, like, that's not a crazy thing to say. Louisville was a brand new team. They're coming off of two years where they were god awful three years really if you consider it. So we'll let you hear what he had to say and his takeaways. Louis Alive coming up in a few days, folks. I'm gonna try to h to give away some tickets to Louisville Live later this week, but I hope to see a great crowd there. Get the weekend started. I think it's homecoming at U of L.
Speaker 2: I don't. I may be wrong on that.
Speaker 5: In fact, I need to go look that up because it's one of those things as soon as I say it, I start to question myself. It was very confident that it was that it was homecoming, and then I said it, I'm like, wait a second, you're probably you probably are making that up. It does not look like it's homecoming. Sorry, homecoming is the Miami game. Sorry, this is the Rumble in the Jungle fiftieth yea. The theme for this game against SMU is Rumble in the Jungle fiftieth anniversary. It marks the fiftieth anniversary of Muhammad Ali and George George Foreman's Rumble in the Jungle fight. So we're gonna do our hometown legend Ali, which there's some times people have mentioned me, is the Ali tribute played out?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: Never to me, I think it's awesome. So not homecoming, but we're gonna honor Muhammad Ali, and that's that's always a great thing. So you get the weekend started on Friday night Louisville Live, a nooner on Saturday with an SMU team that's coming in here with a lot of momentum, and I kind of feel like this is like I'm more anxious for this game then I have been any of them. I mean the first two.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean.
Speaker 5: I didn't do a good job of of, you know, disguising how I really felt about how the season started with those two opponents. I mean, again, it's Indiana's fault, and you know, Louisville took care of business, beat those teams brains in essentially. But now that that's in the rear view, like I'll tell you how I really feel like that was awful, Like that was was torture. Sounds terrible to say when you're watching your team play and they're scoring a bunch of points looking good. But I'm somebody that wants to kind of see, you know, where we stand, and there was no opportunity to do that. So you go from Georgia Tech to Notre Dame Georgia Tech. I was just you know, I was I was ready to see what they look like against a real team that we heard of.
Speaker 2: With Notre Dame, I knew they could get beat.
Speaker 5: And of course the way it played out was was a disaster as far as all the mistakes. But this is I think, okay, this is truly a no. We're going to see where you stand because with Georgia Tech, you know you won and you covered. Wasn't a clean game. Georgia Tech's kind of a pesky team that can find a way to compete when they're big underdogs.
Speaker 2: They did that with Louisville.
Speaker 5: And then I don't even know how to feel about me. And again we don't need to get back into the noted I already have PTSD from something that just happened three days ago with this Notre Dame game, with all the turnovers and just just the mess that it was. But how this team comes out will be very telling in my opinion. And I don't mean you know, coming out and getting up by three scorers in the first quarter. I mean you know, coming out looking sharp, not making avoidable mistakes. And you know SMU when we talked about him after week one, really after week two, I mean, it was it was a bad look for him. They should have lost in Nevada. They got housed by boll. Actually they played BYU pretty competitively. Actually, now that I think about it, let me see, I.
Speaker 4: Think it was like fifteen to eight or very low score.
Speaker 5: Yeah, eighteen fifteen. Good memory on your part, John, So that looked like they may be in trouble because you know they'd already you know, they should have lost in Nevada. BYU wasn't ranked at the time. Well now BYU is one of the hottest teams in the country, and SMU's lost to them. Actually looks pretty impressive because it was a competitive game and BYU's blowing everybody else out. They made a quarterback change at SMU, and this would be a big win for them, And that's kind of where we are right now Louisville, because they've been a top twenty five team for the last few weeks and in the ACC. Let's be real, if you're in the league, you don't have a lot of chances to get ranked wins because there's not that many teams that are ranked right. So a big opportunity for SMU and a big opportunity for Louisville not to prove anything to you know, the college football world, but to prove to themselves that they can play a clean game and they can't take care of business, not just against teams that you know, don't have a pulse, but against a team that has momentum and has shown that they're they're at least solid.
Speaker 2: I think they're better than that.
Speaker 5: I'm not going to tell you that they're you know, they're uh, you know, going to in contention to win this league. I mean, maybe they will be, but I don't believe that just yet. All right, let's do this let's get to our first break. We'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. We'll let you hear what John Rostein thinks about what he saw at Louisville practice. Louisville's practice today. I think he was there yesterday too. I could be wrong on that, but we'll get to that and a lot more. And if you want to be a part of the show, you can five O two five seven to one seventy nine hundred again, five oh two, five seven seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call, phone lines, or open it's coffee and company. I don't know why my voice is going out. It's not good. It's concerning. We got a long we got a long way to go. Give it a lock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. We've got ourselves some college football reporting beef, and I'm here for it. So I think a lot of people who work in media, rather it be they are writers, they are blogger I mean journalists, bloggers, radio people, TV people, streamers. Like some people probably like to engage in like a feud with somebody that does the same thing as them. But I know a lot of people it just I would never want to do that because I feel like if I did truly let my emotions get involved, I would not look good. Like I don't think anybody looks good when they're fighting, like and sometimes getting nasty and letting their emotions get the best of them, like through tweets to other people that do what they do, Like it's just not a good look. However, I do know that like people love to see it. It's entertainment for them, but it's entertainment, in my opinion, at the at your expense. Because I think like if I got into a radio feud with somebody, I think whoever, that would be like we would just look childish, you know what I mean, Like it wouldn't it Just it's you know, so right now it's Brett McMurphy.
Speaker 2: Versus Nicole Arbach. Do you know who? You know? Both those people are John both of them. Yes, yeah.
Speaker 5: So it's all about Gonzaga's move to the Mountain West, and I'm gonna side with Brett McMurphy for a variety of reasons. I think Brett McMurphy is really he's been really good at what he's done for a long long time. He's been at ESPN, he's been at Fox, he's been at CBS, he's been with what do he call it? I think it used to be called Campus Insiders, then it became Stadium. Do they still exist they do?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Good question? I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let they let Sham's contract run out, and I'm sure they're still around. But he was there and now he's with the Action Network, and he still breaks the biggest stories in conference realignment and in college football like he's I mean, I honestly don't know if i'd put anybody ahead of him.
Speaker 2: I think you can.
Speaker 5: Certainly put currently Pete Dammel in the conversation for breaking the most acurate stories first. But Brett's been doing it specifically with college football for longer. Pete's been all over the place, and he's, you know, he's good at what he does. So Nicole Arbach, I've never really been much of a fan. I think she's just at times just seems I don't know, I don't know her personally, but she comes off pretty unlikable and she's picking a fight like it's just it. To me, it seems like it's kind of silly, and she's the one tweeting through it as they say, you know what I mean, like because she's the one who's shown the emotion and like wanting to make a deal out of it. She's the one who's like responding to everybody and tweeting about it way more than McMurphy. McMurphy's just making jokes about her previously inaccurate reports. So and this is again, this is kind of funny to me, And I don't know how much you guys think it's funny, So I promise you won't spend a lot of time on it.
Speaker 2: However, Like.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's it's nerdy. But like last week, McMurphy's the one who put out there that Gonzaga would be leaving their conference. In fact, he tweeted out last week Gonzaga leaving West Coast Conference to join PAC twelve. Source told Action Network. PAC twelve still needs minimum of two football members by twenty twenty six, but Gonzaga, even without a football team, will receive a full conference share, so let's see. He later responded by saying, because she's pulling that first report, and then he's He later corrected himself by stating that they're leaving the Mountain West, but where like he responded, he updated his own update by stating it could be the PAC twelve or it could be the Mountain West. Right, So she then claimed that Gonzaga wasn't leaving. And then now she's claiming that, you know, she's reporting that like she had it first, that they are in fact joining you know, the PAC twelve, which they are, but she's claiming that what he put out last week was basically just not real, like, you know, wasn't accurate. His report was just he was guessing that it would he was guessing that would happen and end up being right whenever. She really has no basis to you know, to to mean, you know, it's such a silly, stupid thing. But what her her argument is that here's what she said, it's important to both be accurate and precise in reporting news. Uh and her other her other tweet today and he responded to, by the way, what else did she say? And again, I'm sure a lot of people don't care about this, but it is funny to me, and you know, yeah, rely, here's what she said. Reliable journalism means what you report is accurate when you report it. That's her stance is that he just guessed it and it came true, which who out there was thinking, Yeah, with football being the only thing that matters in realignment, I mean, that's the truth.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's all that matters when it comes to alignment. And who out there was guessing that Gonzaga would join the PAC twelve when it actually wouldn't help them in any way for what they're trying to do. They have to get to eight members as a football league to be even recognized by the College Football Playoffs as a as as a G five, like you know, a league that could they could potentially get a spot. So I don't know why she chose to. She got she got some stuff wrong about Meltucker when that was going on at Michigan State. Remember when he was at what he was fired and uh, you know he brought that up later and I think I think it all started with Meltucker. He reported that Meltucker was going to be fired, but it's essentially going to just take some time, which most things do, right, And that was last year. Well, she kept fighting and saying that like he wasn't going to be fired and that and like that wasn't going to be the case. Well, she not being wrong, but she claims that she wasn't wrong, but at the time he claimed that he was going to be fired, he was just guessing and he ended up being right. Like to me, she looks like she looks silly, but you know, because she's now claiming once again, she's doing the same thing again. She's claiming that the Gonzaga to the Pac twelve or the Mountain West. You know, it wasn't actually legitimately in the process last week. It was just he was guessing, which again he got it right. He knew this was in the works, and that's what's happened. And she's, you know, to me, she looks kind of silly, but I don't know. I'm sure others will take her side. But anyways, as we speak, she's tweeting through it and responding to like all the trolls and defending herself, which to me is a real tell here as far as far as what's going on, is she known for more so basketball, football or both just college because.
Speaker 3: I think it's mainly football. A lot of people at least that I'm friends with that are fans of Big ten football teams, they're not really a big fan of Nicole Auerback, and I believe a lot of that stem from back in twenty twenty, she pushed for no football COVID season.
Speaker 5: And kind of wanted to be the face of we shouldn't do this. Yeah, and you know, there were a few of them.
Speaker 2: Who's the guy who? Gosh, I haven't heard much about him since then.
Speaker 5: He's still out there, but he was like the most adamant and like every day I feel like he would pin a column for USA Today just talking about how we were all gonna die essentially. I mean he didn't say that, but like, if we play football, everybody's dead. That was the tone of his articles. Dan something, what is his name? It's gonna drive me crazy.
Speaker 4: No, I'm thinking of somebody that comes on your show.
Speaker 5: It's not it's not Dan Wetzel, Dan Wolkin. And they made a lot of jokes about Wolcan being woke and all that.
Speaker 2: Even know who that is? Okay, you look at me like he didn't recognize who that was.
Speaker 5: I just didn't know that to who Yeah, to be So anyways, we'll move on. It's Coffee and Company. I feel bout Thornton's here on sports Talk seven ninety. If you guys want to join in on the show, you can Five two five to seven one seventy nine hundred is the number phone lines are open. And uh text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety is the ln N Federal Credit Union text line. We'll get at the text line in just a second, but I will, like, well, let's just do this. We'll get at the text line on the other side. I want to quickly read for you what John Rosstein had to say about Louisville basketball as he was in attendance for one of their practices earlier today.
Speaker 2: Let me see, he's got a thread going here.
Speaker 4: Let's see.
Speaker 5: And by the way, he's not going to go to a practice and like talk about how the team stinks, you know what I mean, Like, that's just not that's not realistic. But he had no problem saying that they're potentially a bubble team. But here's here's what he said, word for word. A brand new Louisville team with an entirely new roster is hard to figure out. Luckily, we'll know how ready they are six days into the twenty twenty four to twenty twenty five season. Tennessee visits the five H two on Saturday, November the ninth. He goes on to mention that Louisville backcourt of Chucky Hepburn and Corn Johnson is deceptively good, cool, calm and experienced shifty can both shoot it really good duo. He says traditional big men are going to have issue matching up with Casein Pryor at center. Did Wonders as a pick and pop guy last season at South Florida, Louisville looks comfortable with five out. He also mentioned Long Beach State transfer Abubakar tray Ora doesn't believe in fifty to fifty balls place every single possession like it's his last underrated pickup for Louisville. So let me just give you this no offense to Rostein because I agree with literally everything he said, but that you can google Pat Kelsey's transfer portal and get what you just got. You know, that's not like like, that's not really I mean again, it's accurate, and you know, if that's what he observed, then that's what he should share. But like, I mean, we've heard everybody say that about each of those guys, So I was kind of hoping he'd give us something with some substance, and I guess that is substance. It's just, you know, it's it's kind of what was it was what was said about these guys before they got here. He also says that early predictions for him as far as Louisville starting five as CHUCKI Hepburn, Core and Johnson, Terrence Edwards, Javon Hadley and Cason Pryor would not be shocked at all if that is your lineup. Not saying I think it will be, but like, yeah, that's a pretty good five. Gives you a lot of versatility. I still think you.
Speaker 2: Need a little more in the paint.
Speaker 5: But you got guys like Hadley and Edwards who play pretty big for you know, non traditional bigs, and Edwards is not a big Hadley is kind of a as about as highbrid as you'll get. He's a Dwayne Sutton to me as far as a guy that will get a lot of rebounds. He'll physically, you know, use his size to to take advantage of guys that aren't his size that are guarding him on the wing. In case in Prior's he I mean, he's he's got the height you know, not a lot of you know, he's he's a little wiry, can stretch the floor and shoot the three. And that's as far as personnel like that would be my one potential concern as far as just like matchups, like if you get a big dude, like when you play Indiana and the Bahamas, I mean they got a big dude that is big around, not just big in height, and he's pretty damn good transfer from Arizona.
Speaker 2: What's his name, Umar Ballo.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that's a guy that not to say you can't beat him because of that, but like he's gonna be a matchup problem for you because you don't have necessarily the girth, and not many teams will. But you know, that would be my potential concern. There's ways to play around that. But anyways, I still have a hard time seeing Trey Ora not starting because to me, he does so much.
Speaker 2: He was the first guy to get that.
Speaker 5: Gold jersey that they give out meaning that you were the best player in practice, and he does that. I mean, he's not like a natural score. He doesn't shoot the three ball well, but he can make such an impact for your team without ever taking a shot.
Speaker 2: I mean he can.
Speaker 5: He can dunk on your face if he wants, if the opportunity presents itself, you know, he can get out in transition and score. He's you know, he can get to the rim if need be, in the matchup is in his favor. But I happen to think that you've got so many guys that are coming to your program where they were the man. I mean, even Corn Johnson, who didn't start, he was a sixth Man of the Year in the Pac twelve, gets a lot of shots when he plays Chuckie, Hepburn. A guy that can run the show, a guy that you know also is a score if need be. Edwards is the Sun Belt Player of the Year last year. Hadley a vital guy for Colorado prior one of the better players for South Florida. I mean, you know, you've got a lot of guys who have been sort of not the best player maybe on their team, but certainly in the mix for it. But I think with Trey Ora, he's a guy that like will do so much for you and you don't have to worry about him taking a bunch of shots.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: He's going to do a lot of things to get certain players in the rights. You know, he's I mean, he's a rare player when it comes to everything he brings to the table because he's a good passer, really good rebounder, great defender. I mean he's six ' five and yet he's he's got length that you'd see from somebody who's six ' ten. So as we get closer, I'm still as excited as I you know, ever since watching this team play, I realized, Okay, this team's gonna be fun to watch, and I actually think they got a chance to be really good. I could be wrong, you know, because of the competition they played, it's tough to really know. But as we get closer, I'm I mean as far as lineups and whatnot, like Pat Kelsey's gonna have I mean, he's gonna have a he's gonna have to figure I mean, figuring this team out as far as what makes the most sense with lineups. I'm sure in practice you're able to get a feel for it, but there's certain things you just don't know until you get out there in a real game and you're playing a real team. And sure enough, whenever you know they played Tennessee, that's a real team. That's the top twenty, top fifteen team, depending on where you look. All let's get to our next break. We'll come back on the other side. Get to the text line, do'll forget it?
Speaker 2: Four h five.
Speaker 5: We'll bring in Zach Barnett, a FootballScoop dot Com to talk some college football. It's Coffee and Company Field by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Good selection, John good, good stuff here.
Speaker 4: Like mac Miller.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, well, before early early Macmiller, I was a really big fan of and I didn't never dislike him, but as he you know, like like a lot of artists with me, and once he got more famous, it just wasn't you know, wasn't necessarily my cuppe's. He but a really talented guy, no doubt, who passed away way too young. All right, Uh, let's talk about Jefferson Animal Hospital, shall we?
Speaker 2: On outer Loop. I'm sure you've seen him.
Speaker 5: They've been there for a long time, forty four years to be exact, and they're open every day of the year at all times in case of an emergency with your pet, even on Christmas. They've got a doctor there in case someone has to bring in their pet because something unexpected happened and you're worried again. It's an emergency, but it doesn't have to just be an emergency for you to show up or just to reach out to the Jefferson Animal Hospital. Maybe you realize you haven't had your pet checked out in quite some time.
Speaker 2: Maybe they need a check up.
Speaker 5: Well, there's no better place to turn than the Jefferson Animal Hospital on atterloop. You can give him a call at five h two nine hundred. Pets is at Jefferson Vets dot com. All right, So, in the last couple of days, we've had some some legendary sports figures pass away. Yesterday it was Pete Rose actually twice in.
Speaker 4: The same day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hopefully I didn't just speak somebody into dying today by saying that fingers crossed. But to Kimmy with Tumbo and Pete Rose, I'll started to give me with Tumbo because he is somebody that was a part of an era that is that I cherish in the NBA, you know, and he was he was a rare guy as far I mean, you know, the big man at that time. You've got a Loajuan mourning ewing. I'm sure I'm blinking on some others that were all time greats that played you know in the nineties, early nineties and whatnot, late eighties. But to Kimby was a guy that just was I mean, he could take over a game, be somebody that you absolutely recognized nearly on every possession because he was so dominant defensively. And you know, there are probably kids right now, I don't know, maybe teenagers, maybe guys. Heck, you could be in college right now. I mean, I forget that I'm thirty six years old, and when to Kimi Mtumbo was dominating the league defensively and doing that finger swat like I'm sure there are kids that have done that in high school in recent years that don't even know who started it. Well, that's who started it. To Kimmy Mtumbo also quite a He was quite the character as well, which I found to be pretty funny. You know, stories about him have come up on podcasts in recent years, how funny he was. Some things he would say. He also did a lot of great stuff for many people in his home country, and you know, just stories that you know, warm your heart so rip to to Kimi Mtumbo. In fact, there's some other things about to Kimi Mtumbo, I want to get you a little later on that are in fact quite funny. He wasn't just you know, a dominant NBA player defensively, he was also apparently a really funny guy that you know. We didn't get a chance to see that a whole lot, at least I don't remember. Maybe we did, but I was pretty young when when he was playing. And then Pete Rose, you know Pete Rose, when he's come up in you know, my time in sports media, broadcasting whatever. It's really just been about. It's been about the Hall of Fame, like is he ever gonna be forgiven and led into the Baseball Hall of Fame? Because obviously you know, and it is. It is wild steven A. Smith, who rarely what I cite as someone who makes a really good point. Usually steven A's just yelling and it's for shock value. I mean, I don't take steven A. Smith that serious. A lot of people do. To me, He's just there to be an entertainer and get a reaction. Not to say he's just a big dummy to know anything, but like he'd probably even tell you he's there to you know, yell and take hard stances and whatnot. But there are people who've been, you know, forgiven for murder before baseball, forgave Pete Rose. And I know we don't need to get into, like, you know, specifically what it is that he did. It makes it to wear because honestly, he clearly did things that like is shameful when it comes to baseball. But does that mean he's not one of the all time greats? Like I don't think anybody who wants him out of the Hall of Fame would tell you he isn't one of the best players of all time. And I'm not a you know, I'm not a Bengals fan or a Reds fan. And I've talked about this before, but a lot of my friends are because you know, it's the closest pro teams to us when it comes to baseball and football. And I've always kind of lived through those fans because I'd be a phony to say I'm a fan because I don't have sadness when they lose. I don't really get that excited.
Speaker 2: When they win. I like to see him win.
Speaker 5: But like saying I'm a fan always feels like I'm I'm you know, I'm a poser. So Cincinnati fans, Like, I think it's a really, really good sports town, but when it comes to like a professional sports town in my lifetime, they've been pretty bad for the majority of it, to where like they've just been sad. But like when they're good man, they're they're they're into it and in their passion. Well, Pete Rose was such a big deal to the city of Cincinnati for so long that like, there are people that are old enough to be my dad that worship Pete Rose because of their dad. Like, you know, he was a legend. And obviously didn't watch him play. I wasn't alive, but you can tell just by watching highlights, and obviously this is one of the things that people say about him when they talk about his career. Like again, I've never played competitive baseball, don't watch a whole lot of baseball, So despite being somebody who talks sports for a living, I'm not qualified to talk baseball in any way. But I at least feel like I can say, yeah, that checks out. You can tell when you watch him play he played harder than anybody. Like in baseball, sometimes you can be playing really hard and just because of what the sport is, it's not something that really stands out Pete Rose. I mean that guy's running through people. You can see how much emotion he had when he played, and he's a legend in Cincinnati, and I would I mean again, it wouldn't shock me at all if And I don't want to get into the whole Hall of Fame thing because it's honestly one of the most played out topics in all sports, like Shapete Rose be in the Hall of Fame, Barry Barry Bonds be in the Hall of Fame. But how how awful would it be for them to now after he's dead let him in? And I say that knowing how awful it sounds what I just said, right, because you would want him to get honored to show appreciation, But why not do way he's alive, Like one would have been a difference in doing it now than doing it a year ago, you know what I mean, Like it would still be worth doing for his family and for people to really honor him.
Speaker 2: But like, how about we do that stuff before he's dead?
Speaker 5: I mean it would almost be kind of and this is this sounds terrible because it would be it would be a nice gesture, but I think it would also look kind of shameful to have him die knowing you never forgave him.
Speaker 4: As far as patronizing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so RP, Pete Rose, RP to Kim and Bittumbo and hopefully you know there's not a third today because you know that would be bad and not that there would be. But I have, you know, I think I might have. I don't want to jinx it. We got another two hours, so don't go anywhere. We've got coming up next joining us, we'll be Zac Barnett FootballScoop dot com to talk some college football stick around right here on Sports Talk seven ninety