Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm telling you easy Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back a little bit after ten o'clock. Thanks very much, Al Griffith. As we had as a guest a couple of weeks ago during the eight o'clock hour, my guest was going to join us tonight, doctor Patrick Porter. He's a brain health and neuroplasticity expert. So doctor Porter, welcome back to Night's Side. And I know we're going to talk about sleep and sleep solutions, and then maybe some people who want to get some information from you, and they're welcome to call us at six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty or six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. First of all, welcome back to Night's Side.
Speaker 3: How are you tonight, sir.
Speaker 4: I'm doing great. Thanks hearing me, Dan, great to be better.
Speaker 3: Welcome and explain to me.
Speaker 2: What is a brain health and neuroplasticity expert. I think I know what is meant by that, but I'd love to make sure that I really do know what is meant by that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, I've spent my career here, especially in the last fifteen years, of showing that you can your brain at any age, and you can increase its function by using different technologies and different lifestyle practices. And so they've kind of coined that neuroplasticity. So I guess I'm an expert at that. That's okay.
Speaker 2: So you dropped out of me there for a second and you said you could do something with your brain at any age, and we missed what it was you could do with your brain at any age?
Speaker 4: Yeah, what what we find? Maybe I have to turn up my WiFi and my phone or something.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 2: If you're having trouble hearing us, Rob, why don't you jump on with him and make sure that he's he's okay. We're talking with doctor Patrick Porter, and what we're doing is we're talking essentially about your sleep and how you can get a good night's rest and how you can maximum as your sleep and how much sleep you need depending upon what stage of life you find yourself. Uh, doctor Porter, I think I got you back. I think Rob has cleaned things up for.
Speaker 3: You a little bit.
Speaker 4: Go right ahead, Yeah, I'm here.
Speaker 3: Go sure.
Speaker 2: So what you started off with a comment about something about how you could fix your brain at any age, and I missed what the verb was.
Speaker 3: So if you could just repeat that for us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can. You can with lifestyle changes and also technology, you can increase your brain function. You don't have to let your brain just kind of wither away as we age. A lot of people think that as we age, we're supposed to lose our lose our memories, and have dysfunction as we age and lose our balance and distibutor system. But the truth is that there are things you can do in your life that are very simple changes that if you start doing them early enough, you can have a great memory, great great function to the day you pass away.
Speaker 2: Okay, so there's no reason let's talk about those because I'm sure you've got the attention of a lot of people on that. What can people do at what age do they need to start to do some of these things to make sure that age does not adversely impact their memory or their balance, which I think most people as they get older assume that's just part of the aging process.
Speaker 4: Yeah, first of all, let me just address the balance thing, because we've proven that it's not about muscles in your balance, it's about your brain function. There's a brain wave called SMR between our awaking brain and like our creative brain is called the alpha brain. There's a brain wave called SMR sensory motorithm, and that's the one that atrophies as we age, and so it's when we lose that we lose our ability to balance. So we've proven that by training that brain wave by using tools like light, sound, and vibration like we do at brain Tap, and those are three different technologies you can use. But the main thing that I think people are missing, there's two factors that you can start doing at any age that you need to start doing it, because there's never an age too early to start working on your brain. So number one is drink half your body's weight and ounces of water and get what they call like Celtic salts. That it's not table salt. It's actually when you see this, this salt has twelve minerals in it. Most people are demineralized and the brain needs these minerals to process. So if you just put a little pinch of the salt in your water, and you should do it with every glass of water you have, and so it's almost like drinking it's not quite like drinking salt water, but your brain needs those minerals.
Speaker 2: So where do they get Celtic salt. Celtic is spelled like Celtic, like celtic.
Speaker 3: Okay, where do they get it?
Speaker 4: You can get it. Any grocery store will have it, and usually you have to grind it. You know, it'll come with a grinder. And it's important that you get that salt or what if you might find something that says full full full mineralized salt. But that's the easiest one you can find out there. And as you can get it at any grocery store. And you put a little bit of that in your water and drink. So let's say you weigh one hundred and twenty pounds. You're going to drink sixty ounces of water a day, and you want to drink it throughout the day, and you want to stop drinking that water at least two hours before bedtime. Just water, right, Yeah, if you drink anything else. For instance, I give you an idea. If you drink a cup of coffee that's eight ounces, you actually need to drink three more glasses of water to offset the dehydration that happened from that cup of coffee. Really, the same thing is true if you drink a soda pop. So Let's say you drink sixty ounces of soda, you need three times that amount of water to regain the water you lost. Most people are dehydrated. There's actually a really good book out called Your Money. Your Body's mini cries for water, and most people don't realize how dehydrated they are. And this is one of the things they're looking at now in the medical field because a lot of people there cells are not absorbing the water because they don't have the minerals. You need to think of it like a magnet in order to attract the iron fibers. We need the magnetic attraction we need. We need the minerals in our cells to attract the water into the cell. So it actually works. A lot of people drink water, but then they just eliminate it out. They're not really getting the benefit of the water. That's why you want to put the mineralize. You want to mineralize that water so your body has the magnetic charge to absorb that water and give you the nutrients that that water is supposed to provide you.
Speaker 2: And again you're suggesting celtic salt, which you can buy at a grocery store, or if you confind that what was the second suggestion.
Speaker 4: There's a salt called pull Spectrum salt. But I mean they can always go online and find it, you know, but I think every grocery store. You'll find it anywhere in the Boston area grocery store that's worth its salt, right.
Speaker 3: I like that. I like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let me come back to the water intake. A lot of people will will be intimidated by that because let's say that you are a normal sized male and you weigh somewhere around one hundred and eighty pounds. Okay, a woman could weigh, you know, one hundred and fifty pounds pretty easily. But if you're a mail and your weigh one hundred eighty pounds, you got to drink ninety ounces of water a day.
Speaker 4: That's well, that's what I recommend. Yeah, there's an easy way to do that though. What you do is every time you eliminate, before you go back to work, before you go back to whatever you're doing, drink ten ounces of water.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, no, I go.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Then what you'll find is, and some people will actually put posted notes at the door just whenever, if you can just get in the habit when you eliminate. Yeah, you need to replenish, So think of it. You know, you're you're dumping the waste, you bring in more to process and you know, and maybe you can't drink that much at first, but a little bit of something's better than hold out of nothing. And if you're drinking, no.
Speaker 3: That's fair, that's that's fair.
Speaker 2: Now again we're talking here primarily about about you know, brain health and all of that. Let's assume someone is in their sixties or seventies and they have noticed that maybe their memory is slipping.
Speaker 3: But they say, well, you know, that's what's what happens.
Speaker 2: Every once in a while you lose your keys or you can't find your glasses or something like that.
Speaker 3: Is it still.
Speaker 2: Advised that that someone who is you know, that far along or is this something that that you have to start when you're in your thirties and and stay ahead.
Speaker 3: Of the curve.
Speaker 4: Well, it's always better to start early. But any age you want to start doing this, because you're the body you're existing in right now, yep is no more than two years old. So we sell and your body has been replaced, the bones, the cells, I mean, some sub parts of your body might take seven years. But most of your I'd say ninety eight percent of your body has changed over the last two years. Now, what's the problem is just like making a copy back if you remember the old cassettes, or you'd make a copy of cassette from a cassette, it doesn't make it doesn't replicate so well. So if you don't have if your body isn't highly charged with energy, and like when we're young, what I think we talked about it on the show. When we're young, our brain is really high voltage. We have about eighteen point one volts. As we age, that voltage goes down. If that when we're twenty seven, it becomes about ten point one and remains there until we start to diminish and decline. And we find that when that brain voltage goes below six, people will start to experience dementia. When it goes below four, they start to have Alzheimer's. So we need to increase that energy. So think of your body like a battery.
Speaker 2: Every time you good analogy. So let me ask you, how do you how do do you find out what the voltage of your brain is. I go to my doctor every year and they do blood work and they do tests and all of that, But how do you find out and does the voltage in people's brains? Does that differ between men and women, between people who weigh two hundred and fifty pounds and people weigh hundred and fifty pounds or is it all just how do you determine how much vaulted is in the brain? Is the test that can be done?
Speaker 4: Well? Yeah, there is what they call EEG electrosophograph. Now they have technology we use at our research lab. We use a product called the Lobby and basically it's a skull cap that you put on and it measures not only brain voltage, but it measures different brain waves and things of that. They call it brain mapping. So there's probably a hundred places in Boston that do it. You know, if you call them up and say, hey, I want to get a brain map and I want to find out what my brain voltage is. I think I think within ten years it will be as common as doing a blood test because they're finding out so many things about the brain that early detection is better, right, just like everything else.
Speaker 2: Sure, Okay, so let's just someone has a brain voltage test and the doctor says, hey, guess what your brain voltage at your age?
Speaker 3: You know it, you know it should be.
Speaker 2: Somewhere in the range of ten and it's seven ken. What can be done to reverse that decline?
Speaker 4: Well, there's quite a few things you can do. Number one is you can change your diet. You can put get a little bit more fats and get that water and take up you need essential fats. So one of the things you can do, even starting today, even if you don't know your voltage is down, is the simplest thing is to start adding in omega threes, like having like olive oil. You can have at least if you just state one tablespoon of olive oil a day, they say you're tan of Alzheimer's just went down forty percent. Wow, So you and you can put that on your salads or you can just eat it with a spoon. You know, but there's and you can have avocados. You know, there's also instead of in real butter, not margarine, real butter. And you can and you when you think about coconut oil, get rid of the seed oils. Feat oils they now say are as bad as sugar for the brain. Though you want to get you want to minimize the sugar and take as much as you can for the brain. And then those are things you can do just when you're shopping. Then you can also do we we, of course, what we do at brain Tap. We did a study in Florida. In the book is called Saving Your Brain. It was by doctor Kelly Miller. He has a chapter in this says brain Tap to the rescue because what we do is we bring light energy into the brain. And doctor Cousins about twenty years ago said the most underprescribed nutrient on Earth is light. So you know, when you're living up north and I heard the I'm down here in the south out so we have a lot more sunlight. You know, there's something called seasonal effective disorder. Of course, because the seasonal effective disorder is like from the north. I grew up in Michigan, so people would get depressed in the winter.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we're very, very familiar with that. As a matter of fact, there's some well known people who have been impacted about that. Doctor parter Port, I got to just take a break here. It's amazing the amount of information that you have shared with us in the first fifteen minutes here. I want to cycle back to sleep questions. I know that I have audience members who tell me they aren't able to establish a good sleep pattern. I have. I guess I'm the exception. I can sleep at the drop of a hat. But I also want to talk to you about naps. Are naps good for you or bad for you? Is there such a thing as too much napping? We'll get to all of this, I promise, And I also want to get people an opportunity. When we talked a couple of weeks ago, we were in that short segment for about ten minutes or so that we did. We do not take phone calls during the eight o'clock hours, So people tonight, if you want to talk with doctor Porter and ask a question about your sleep pattern, you got to dial now six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty six months seven nine, three one ten thirty. I know we talked a lot of politics, a lot of national politics during the last week or so. Uh, And this is a Friday night. We're trying to get you information that can help you.
Speaker 3: UH.
Speaker 2: And if you've listened to what he said in the first fifteen minutes, has been a tremendous amount of information that should be able to help you. We'll take a quick break. Coming back on night Side, you have the number six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty or six months seven nine three one ten thirty.
Speaker 1: Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm telling you Bzy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 3: My guess is doctor Patrick Porter. Uh.
Speaker 2: He obviously has a lot of great information here.
Speaker 3: Let's let's keep rolling with this.
Speaker 2: We started that whole conversation just talking about brain health and neuroplasticity, but I also want to talk about sleep patterns. And I have, you know, listeners who will tell me that they can't sleep, or when they sleep, they sleep different hours. What is the key to getting a regular and a predictable good night's sleep or is there a specific key, And maybe it differs from people to people.
Speaker 4: If it does differ from people to people, but I think that what you do the hours leading up to sleep are very important, Like especially two to three hours before sleep, go around the house turning off lights, because we're not Our brain needs to know it's time for sleep. And if the house is bright in your Let's say you're watching television and you're watching some show that's that's an adjutant, you know, maybe it's a mystery show that's getting brain to think too much. You want to do things that are pretty much mindless, you know, and they do things that are or read you know, things like that. If you're having problems sleeping, there's a few rules. One is don't eat any solid food three to four hours before bad because your body can't sleep and digest at the same time. So some people can do it fine, it just doesn't matter they eat. Now if you can't help it. Sometimes you just have to eat and then you go to sleep. But if you can plant it that way and then also eliminate all liquids, And what I should have said earlier in the show was you could also drink herbal teas. Herbal teas can count as water. So if you can't drink like what I tell people is to get like peppermint tea or something like that, you can also do that to get the water intake I was talking about earlier. So if people are saying I don't think they need a little flavor to it, you know, you can drink the herbal teas and that will not doesn't have a diuretic effect. I'm not talking about black teas now, I'm talking about like the herbal kind of like peppermint tea or kind of meal tea, or there's also a tea called sleepy time tea. You know, you might want to have that tea a couple hours before bed and you'll start to calm down and then when you're in when you're in bed, your bedroom should just be for sleep and for whatever other recreation you want to have in there. But it's not. It's not a place where you should be doing your work. Like you shouldn't bring your laptop in there. You know, don't confuse your brain with the bedroom being anything other than a sanctuary for sleep. And if you can. A lot of people will need to have like knockout curtains where they block out all the light because sometimes just even a little bit of light, if you're light sensitive, it can it can stop you from getting into that deep circadian rhythm.
Speaker 2: I am a huge fan of dark curtains, and I gotta tell you, I think that for.
Speaker 3: Me is the key.
Speaker 2: I'm in a situation where I do a talk show from eight to.
Speaker 3: Midnight East Coast time. I take about an hour just to unwind.
Speaker 2: And one of the things that I do is we do a little postgame show on the Internet to tell people how the show went, which probably is not the smartest thing for me to do personally, but I do it because I'd like to just talk to my listeners who want to find me on Facebook and I give them a little recap of the show and I'll say I'm happy with it, or we could have done better, and I'm pretty candid with it. But what I will do, what I try to do is I'll try to put the Boston Globe crossword puzzle aside and start that at twelve thirty and it doesn't take me long. I never complete the crossword puzzle because halfway through I can feel my eyes are drooping and at that point I'm ready to go to bed.
Speaker 3: So that's my.
Speaker 2: System, and it works for me. I think you got to find a system that works for you, is really my point.
Speaker 3: And I assume you would agree.
Speaker 4: With that, Oh yes, And then what they can do if they don't have a system right now. You can do a breeding technique that's worked magical for my clients over the years. And you actually just do a breeding technique. You breath into the count of four and you breathe out to the kind of eight and you just don't worry about what you're thinking about. You know your day is going to roll through your mind. But like you're doing the crossword puzzle is good because you're kind of stressing your brain a little bit, but it's probably fun for you to do it. So it's some people, if you gave him a crossword puzzle, they would probably fall asleep minute they took out the pen and the paper, you know. But if you're the type of person that does that, Like some people will do puzzles before they go to sleep because it's something that their brain has to think. It has to you know, sue something creative, but it's also logical. So the brain gets a little bit of stress, but that's enough to eliminate the sympathetic drive that happened every day or the stress that build up during the day.
Speaker 2: So this breeding technique, the stress is dress is the killer. Uh, Doctor Patrick Porter, Doctor Porter, we got to take about a three minute newscast. We go back on and go to phone calls. I've got a bunch of calls in the line, Foy, You have no idea what they want to talk about. But that's the best part about Nightside and I can tell from talking to you for just a few minutes that you know your stuff and you are a font of valuable information. And I really thank you for taking the time tonight to talk to my audience. So any question, As I've often said, there are no questions that are dumb questions. The only dumb questions are the questions you don't have the courage to ask. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. One line there and one line and six one seven, nine three, one, ten thirty. We'll get it going with questions right after the break. Here on night Side, my name is Dan Ray. Listening WBZ Boston ten thirty and your AM dial. And if you're listening in some different part of the country, which is often, let us know, give us a call. We love to hear from listeners not only in Boston, New England, but also outside New England. Anywhere east of the Mississippi River works for us. Can we even get listeners on the internet as far away as California and other places around the world. Coming back on Nightside, It's Night Side with Dan Ray's Boston's News Radio. My guest doctor Patrick Porter. Let's get to the phone calls. Doctor, Let's go to Helen in Canton, Massachusetts. Helen, you were first.
Speaker 3: This hour with doctor Porter.
Speaker 4: Go right ahead, Helen, Hi got the point. Thank you, Dan, You're very welcome. Hello.
Speaker 5: I work overnights for twenty three years now, and I'm heading into work right now, and I don't sleep well. I haven't slept well for twenty three years, so I just don't know what this point. Can I do anything to help me sleep?
Speaker 2: What time you get off work? I'm seven in the morning. What time you get off well?
Speaker 5: What did I get out of work at nine thirty in the morning.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're a nurse.
Speaker 5: I know I'm in vebiology, babeology.
Speaker 3: Text in the medical field. Doctor Portego, right.
Speaker 4: Ahead, Yeah, yeah, I think that. Yeah, you're You're definitely out of sync with the circadian rhythms, so you're gonna have a problem. But what you can do is you want to maybe get some kind of music. What we do is, of course, we use an algorithm that teaches you to get into the state of delta, but you can get like white noise. Have you tried that before using that?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 5: I use that every single time I go to bed, so it doesn't affect my brain. I wanted to make sure on that right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh no, it's gonna it's what it does. It's gonna block out the day. But the main thing that I think you need to do is practice that breathing technique that I was talking about before you go to bed. Yeah, we need to get you into a deep state. Your brain's going against the natural rhythm of our body. Right. There's there's very few people that in our history and their ancestry, they would stay up all night. And I know because my my family was all in the medical field. Grandmother was a nurse, and my nurses and they would get jacked around. You know, one week they'd be working days and next week they'd be working nights. And this is that good for your circadian rhythms. So the other is that even though you're going to bed, do you go right to bed or do you do something else before you go to bed In the.
Speaker 5: Morning, sometimes I do other stuff and then I go to bed around two or three o'clock and then I can't sleep well.
Speaker 4: At all them. But if I go to.
Speaker 5: Bed, usually right after work, I take a quick shot. When I go to bed, usually I take trasiton. They doctor recommend trasiton, So I take trasiton to go to sleep and it actually does help.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean those kind of things will help, But I think the main thing is is, just like I was saying earlier in the show, you want to not eat anything within four hours of going to sleep. That's what I really suggest.
Speaker 5: Sure I do that. I'm really bad at that, So I have to stop doing that.
Speaker 4: Yes, and then also with the water, and then practice that breeding technique, and then make your room as dark as possible. You're we're going to have to trick your body into thinking it's midnight instead of you know, nine thirty ten Oclos morning. In many the reality, The reality is it's not about time in bed. Remember that it's about getting If you get a sleep watch or way to measure your sleep, if you can start getting an hour of deep sleep, which we we treat people to do. You can get some tips at brain tap dot com that can teach you how to do that, because we have an app that actually will put you to sleep at any time in the day. We work at coal miners and we showed that that's possible. But you'll need you'll need to get as quickly as possible into the first level of sleep, and then if we can get you an hour of deep sleep, you're going to find that you're going to wake up, recharge, even if you only sleep four and a half five hours.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, because I do. Look at I said that, and if I say I usually sleep up, a deep sleep is like an hour and a few minutes. So that's not bad that I thought it was bad.
Speaker 4: Okay, No, no, that's good. I mean if you get two hours of rim sleep. So if it's telling you an hour of deep sleep, two hours of rim sleep, you're getting the sleep that you need. Now, what you might need to do is do something to activate the system when because your body's going to actually want to go to sleep when you're working, so you've got to kind of trick the brain at that point.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, thank.
Speaker 2: You, Thank you, Helen, and thank you for what you do.
Speaker 3: Thank you for what you do.
Speaker 5: Thank you for what you do.
Speaker 4: Thank you doctor you.
Speaker 3: Let's keep rolling here.
Speaker 2: Six one seven, A couple of lines there at six one seven, ed you were next one nights. I appreciate you calling it.
Speaker 3: Go right ahead, bye.
Speaker 4: I had two questions relating to liquids. The first is this the temperature of the water matter, is ice water or hot water better or worse? And the second thing is I'm assuming you're against coffee completely, but if you have to drink at what's the best kind to drink and what time of day? Okay, I'll answer the first question. First. The water is a preference, but they find that most people cannot tolerate ice water. It actually kills some of the digestive that you need in the system. But if you tolerate ice water, it's fine. Hot water with lemon is probably the best because it's alkalizing the water, just like the salt would do. So a lot of people will add like limon to their water, you know, squeeze a slice a limon or something into it. But no water in any form is going to be better than no water. So I have a saying, a little bit of something's better than a whole lot of nothing, you know, So however you get it in and with coffee. I'm not totally against coffee. I love coffee myself, but I don't drink coffee first thing in the morning. When first thing in the morning you have something called the Cortisolt trough. And if you need coffee first thing in the morning. That's a sign that you have a neurological disorder because your body is now your brain is inherently lazy. If it can get something else to do the work for it, it will. And what coffee does. It's spikes near perneffrin, cortisol, and dopamine. Now, these are three things you need in the morning to get you up out of bed, but your brain needs to create those. So think in terms. You have the world's greatest pharmacy between your ears, but you're not using that pharmacy. You're dumping coffee into it. So what I always recommend people do is drink their coffee. You can have You can have a cup of cups of coffee. Just have one at ten o'clock and you can have another one after you do your whatever you're gonna do in the afternoon. You know you don't need to. If you drink more than one cup of coffee too, you're gonna be at a deficit. I said that earlier, because you're gonna have you're gonna be in a dehydrated state. So I always recommend that before you drink your coffee, you have six or eight ounces of water and then if it's possible, after you're done drinking your coffee, you have another six or ten glasses, you know, ounces of water. That way, at least you're not at a deficit. And then what will happen is pretty soon you'll find out you don't need as much coffee. You'll just drink coffee because you enjoy it, not because it's still emulating you to stay awake. Your body can stay awake as long as it's mineralized water. You're gonna you're gonna have more energy than you thought possible. Because the coffee is a synthetic stimulant, it's not really doing anything for you. Your brain has to work twice as hard to give you that energy. And that's why you have to chase the coffee with another coffee maybe, or you have those downtimes during the day after you drink coffee. Okay, great, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Well did you have a second question there or was that cover of both of them?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was the quest. No, that's about Ed.
Speaker 2: Good, Thank you, Ed, appreciate your call. Thank you much. Let me get one more in here before the break.
Speaker 3: Gonna go to.
Speaker 2: Lee in Quincy, Massachusetts. Lee, how are you tonight, Jo, I'm with doctor Patrick Porter. Go ahead, Lee, okay, Ted.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to say the doctor was talking about olive oil and avocados. I was a tour guide for better years. I once had a doctor in my car from China. He was eighty years old, and he wanted me to take him to a health food store and I did. If he bought a bottle of this EBCT oil, and I would do it. They're pretty good and it sounds pretty good. I wanted his opinion on EBCT oil. Yeah, that's very good. That's the coconut oil. So what I was talking about. You can buy cocone oil at the grocery store too, but MCT oil is refined. And then a lot of people, I mean, even like Dave Affley is really big in something called biohacking. He actually has a whole coffee. He puts the mct coil oil in the coffee, so that person who's nice about coffee earlier. A good thing you could do for your coffee to help it work even better is put you know, real butter, or you can put mcte oil in. It's a good way to drink the coffee and it's there well they're dark. To all these guys who do vocto, the Keto guy whatever. They have something called the bulletproof Coffee. At the Boy. They put butter in the coffee. They put emctea oil, you know, maybe a fake sugar. They call that a bulletproof coffee. Yeah. Yeah, because it's gonna it's gonna activate that fat in the coffee is going to activate the it's gonna actually liberate fat and the cells will give you energy. So it's a it's a really good way to do it. I think, yeah. Good. Can you take it in a in a powdered form. I've always had a liquid and I it tastes white butter. Sometimes I'll take a table's food, but I see the sewing it now in a powdered form. Yeah, I think the liquid is better. But even bulletproof, the company you're talking about, they actually sell mct oil and bulletproof. You can find it in the and the like the help food section of your grocery store. It'll say bulletproof, but it will be mct oiled. It's powder, and I I actually take that with me when I travel, So it's okay because it's it's easier to travel with than the liquid, but at home, I'll use the liquid. Okay, it's good for the braid. Yeah, those kind of fat because there's short team that acids. Those are omega threes, so the brain loves those, and your brain is made up of fat in water. So you can't really overdo those. I mean you probably could, but I don't think anybody could eat that much to do that.
Speaker 2: And did these things that both you and Lee are talking about do they impact weight loss? Either either add pound you're throwing some butter in your coffee, or does it.
Speaker 4: They'll actually have you lose weight because fat. The old story that fat makes you fat is not true at all. Sugar makes you fat. So the most of the don't realize that. When you're eating seed oils, that's different. We're talking about short chain amino acids omega threes. MCT oil is one, olive oil is one, real butter is one, gee is one. There's there's there's a whole series you know that they go online and they just say short chain fatty acids omega threes. Those are what you eat. Now if you're eating the complex like the seed oils that are out there, or like vegetable oil or things like that. Those are bad for you. They're gonna make you fat because they're toxic to the body, and they're already ramcid. You know, mostly you don't realize that most oils on the shelf are already ramcid. They're not any good. They might taste good, but there's no value in them. And most of the research done on things like even canola oil. Most canola oil is garbage. They did the studies on real con oil, but they didn't do it on the refined As soon as you get seated up over one hundred and sixty degrees, that oil is no good anymore.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: How long did it take you to develop this compendium of knowledge? Obviously this is something that you have studied, I assume for a long time.
Speaker 4: Doctor. Yeah. Well, my mother actually, when I was twelve years old, went to a nutritionalist and found out that we are family we shouldn't have We were brought up Catholics, so our family we were Spazes and you found out that we shouldn't be eating sugar and dies and we were actually if you remember ul Gibbons, I was told in high school that I was going to replace jul Gibbons and grape nuts commercials. So I've been doing it a long time. Wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, Hey Lee, great, great questions. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Okay, Dad, have a great night, good night, have a good weekend.
Speaker 2: Take very quick break here you get to take a final commercial break, and then we'll be back with a couple of more calls for doctor Patrick Porter. If you'd like to jump on board six one seven, two thirty six, one seven, nine, three, ten thirty back on night Side right after this, and we're going to the twentieth hour after the eleven o'clock news. Not sure what we're gonna do it in the twenty hour to night, but it will be fun, I promise coming back on night side.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna get more questions and comments for doctor Patrick Porter.
Speaker 3: Let me go to Christian in Peabody. Christian, how are you tonight? Welcome?
Speaker 4: Doing well? Welcome?
Speaker 6: I say you're from all that's going on.
Speaker 2: I'll have a question, fead, doctor Porter.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, yep.
Speaker 6: I take a Omega three six nine triple Omega. Is it necessary to buy all three? Or is the Omega three the one you need to focus on.
Speaker 4: But if you're getting, if you're feeling energized and it's working for you, then you know, I'd say it's a personal preference. You know, the the the others, the three will make the sixes and nine that your body needs. And sometimes yeah, yes, that makes sense.
Speaker 6: Okay, no, because sometimes it's about product being sold instead of what you really need. Yeah, but anyway, this is not a fish oil. It's some flat seeds and staff flower and.
Speaker 4: Olive oil, and so used to that part.
Speaker 6: The other thing is, well, go.
Speaker 4: Ahead, I was gonna say Blackfeet oil is now they're touting it is like the best out there right now. And I've been I've been trying a couple of different brands, and I've been doing getting some really good results with our with my clients and things. So I really that is a good ball. Okay.
Speaker 6: The other question I had was, I am now sixty five years old, and because of stress, up work and other things, I find my sleeping goally. I actually still go to sleep at the drop of a hat. I can set my arm in five minutes and I'll.
Speaker 4: Pay you a dream state when when it goes off. So that's not an issue.
Speaker 6: My problem is is that.
Speaker 7: I'm witching up every couple of hours and it's just like what happened to my eight hours sleep solid?
Speaker 4: Right? Well, that that diffregulated brain, you're actually going to sleep too quickly. Think in terms of like your That's why I say that that breathing technique, that four aid breath, you need to unwind your body. If you go to sleep too quickly, too, you don't go through the sleep cycle you need, so you're dropping the want too quickly. So so take okay, actually act like you know how you're getting pulled like a a maggot pulling metal or something like that. You want to you want to feel your body relaxed into it and release the tension in your body. And when you release that tension in the body, you can go through the sleep cycle and you're gonna find you're gonna sleep longer and deeper.
Speaker 7: Okay, Well, the reason why I say this is because Frontilvey friendly, your mouths professional driving all over the country.
Speaker 6: You that's why I tried back. My body's been trained when you need to sleep, you have a moment.
Speaker 4: It's of course right into it. Because just that was.
Speaker 7: A pattern that built over the decades.
Speaker 6: I no longer try to, but because of my situation.
Speaker 7: It's very successful that I find I can release distress by going to the gym. But I really.
Speaker 6: Needed some guidance on getting.
Speaker 7: Something you saying you're breathing technique is anything, yeah, you things like this.
Speaker 4: Tom Brady is one of our he's one of our guys with brain tap. We work with him all the time. He already says that for every one minute of exertion, you need two minutes of recovery. True. So even though you're going to the gym and you're working out hard, you're you're actually creating something called B D and S. But if you don't take the time to relax after that, it's almost useless. So maybe after you're done doing your workout and you're releasing the stress, take a moment just to sit down and do some even just sitting in the locker room, do do three or four minutes of breeding just to get the body to learn how to regulate that relaxation. Because when you're driving on the road, your body is trained to have a high stress. That's most people don't realize the stress that those truckers are under are driving down the road and you get used to it when you're driving. But if we were to measure your stress levels, they're crazy, They're off the chart.
Speaker 2: Okay, gentlemen, we're getting tied on time. Christian, I gotta let you go. Thank you much.
Speaker 4: We're going to try to get in here. Joy, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: Christian Lil.
Speaker 2: You called late. I can give you about a minute. What can you do with it?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 8: Thank you so much. What type of doctor are you? Number one? I need that. Number two. If someone is an anti coagulant and have to watch their fat content, can they take coconuts? Because when you read they said it's okay and it's not okay. And also what type of butter is real butters? What is your brand name?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Real?
Speaker 3: Quickly?
Speaker 2: Doctor Lil obviously has not heard the entire rob give her a quick What type of doctor?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 3: If you can answer those questions quickly, I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm a I'm a psychologist by name, by by training, but I've been doing a lot with brain work. But I would say is any water is good, but felt salt water is best, and I would check with your doctor on the essential fats. Usually they're not going to be a problem. But if you're working with a doctor right now, I don't want to do counter to his advice or her advice. So that's one of those things that it should not hurt you because it's a natural thing that our body needs.
Speaker 2: Well, I wish it called early, but I'm flat out of time. Thank you so much, doctor Porter. Thank you very much. How can folks either follow you, get in touch with you, read something I've written?
Speaker 3: What could you leave with us?
Speaker 4: Yeah? They can get some free advice over at braintap dot com or go to doctor Drpatrickporter dot com and they can see on my social media. I have a lot of free videos there is.
Speaker 3: It brain tap? Is that what it is? Brain tap dot com?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, that's great, doctor, Thank you so much for your time tonight. Maybe we'll do something again a little bit later on during the year. I thought it was a fascinating hour.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you, I'm here for you.
Speaker 2: Let me thank you very much. Great tonight, that's for sure. We're coming back for the twentieth and final hour of the week. I'm not sure we're gonna do we'll do something.
Speaker 3: It's fun. I promise coming back on night's side