Speaker 1: She came to America chasing a fresh start, but everywhere she ventured, men seemed to die, their wills were changed, their bank accounts were emptied, and their symptoms were always the same. But no one questioned the charming German caregiver who appeared to help everyone that she met. Eventually, though, she had one victim too many, and the truth finally began to surface. This is the story of a woman who killed silently, poisoning her victims. This is the story of arsenic Annie.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: The following podcast maid more mature audience listener discretion. Do you see a difference?
Speaker 2: Oh, does it look bigger?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it looks bigger. It's huge, right, it's massive. Get your mind out of the gutter. Awkward, don't go there. I'm talking about my muscles. I've been going to the gym.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm flexing. We have decided to go on a tropical vacation. We haven't done a tropical vacation for years in the spring, and so we're like, holy shit, we got to get our our urses to the gym.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get our beach bods on the go. But it's also not just like, hey, get a beach bod. It's like I've been eating shitty. I need to get healthy again. I have a history in my family, have some high blood pressure stuff. I should probably do the adult thing here, you know, take care of myself.
Speaker 2: You're getting up there in age, you know, so you got to start taking care of yourself.
Speaker 1: Yet, calm down, it's not that bad.
Speaker 2: I know you're still a spring chicken. I guess we could say I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm just as spry as I was yesterday, but not the day before. I don't know if that's the saying. It just made it up, but it seemed to work well.
Speaker 2: I do also have to say, I don't know. Going to the gym too, it's so nice for your mental health and just clearing your mind right. It's a good time a year to be doing that. I think you're right.
Speaker 1: And then there's also the like it almost puts you in a mindset of eating better too. You're going to the gym, You're like, well, I just went and worked out. I feel good, I'm happy. I'm not going to just go and eat a sleeve of oreos, which is probably what I generally do on a Sunday afternoon or something like that. What I would do is go home be like, oh, well, I'm not going to just consume a bunch of calories because I waste my gym time. I'm going to eat healthy to balance it out, so it like perpetuates some better living.
Speaker 2: It's like the snowball effect in a good way.
Speaker 1: There you go, the good snowball effect. Another good snowball effect too is when multiple people join up on Patreon and support the show, we can really grow. So thank you and shout out to Mariah Carellis, Claire Jones, Shariah Kegle, Blackie Alexander, and David Walter who all signed up and are supporting us and joining that amazing snowball that we have of a community over there that.
Speaker 2: Was not planned. That sounded like it was almost rehearsed. But that's just Ben.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm enjoying trying to like fit it in in a in a.
Speaker 2: Natural stuff like that. Yeah, he's that good.
Speaker 1: Can you tell? I did improv in high school? We had an interesting story today. I mean I could talk about my muscles and vacations and snowballs all day long. But I think we should get over to the story of Arsenic Annie.
Speaker 2: H I agree, Holy moly, this is going to be a gooder. I think it is a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of an older case, so I will say that. But we are staying in the nineteen h We're not going back to the eighteen hundred, so it's not like, well, I guess it is a whole other century. I was going to say, we're not going back a century, but we are. We are, all right, I just dated myself. We're going back one century, not too how about that.
Speaker 2: I feel like the ones that we've done recently have been a little bit newer, so well, that's.
Speaker 1: Kind of why I picked this one, is it's been a while since we've doed back in time a little bit around that clock. So we're going to talk about Arsenic Annie.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Annie Marie Filsner entered the world on July seventh, nineteen oh six, in the quiet Bavarian town of FEUs in Germany. It was the kind of place where people knew each other for generations, and gossip traveled faster than the church bells that rang through the town air. Her parents, George and Kathrina, well, they were doing pretty well for themselves. George made furniture, and the Filser name actually carried a very kind of respect that comes with steady work and a big family. Anna was the twelfth child to be born into this family, so it's a large family to say the least, no kidding, And she was the baby of the house. And by the time she came along, her parents had actually already buried five of those children.
Speaker 2: What, Yes, that's freaking heartbreaking.
Speaker 1: Yes, And then not to mention, two more of the older boys would eventually be lost in the First World War, So death loss, it was definitely an unfortunate thing that was woven into the family long before Anna will even really learn to speak. Now, as the youngest daughter, Anna grew up pushing from the harsher edges of life. We all look at the youngest of the family. The baby tends to get coddled a little bit more, right, and that's certainly this case in this story. Her mother adored her, and in a household that had known so much tragedy, it was easy to see why the surviving children, especially the youngest one, was held a little closer. But Anna wasn't a child who stayed close for long. Her early years were filled with sickness, and she had a long, frightening battle with blood poisoning that kept her in the hospital for months, followed by a go to your operation that left her frail and anxious. In fact, she genuinely thought she might die at one point, and maybe that brush with mortality did something to her, because when she recovered, she began pushing boundaries, in fact, every boundary that she could really find. By her teenage years, Anna was slipping out of bedroom windows long after curfew, sneaking out to parties, and testing the limits of her parents' patience. Now Feusen was a small place, too small for secrets, but she still found ways to lie her way out of trouble. Even then, people remembered her charm, the soft spoken girl with blonde hair who always had a reason, always had an explanation, and somehow always got away with having another chance. School was something that never really interested her. She drifted far away from studies, and later in her life even insisted that she completed coursework for teaching, even though there was no way of verifying that. But I digress. What she was good at, though, was people. She learned early on that a well timed smile or a carefully spun story could get her what she wanted. But like many young women, life shifted sharply when she found herself pregnant. She was seventeen years old in a conservative Catholic town and now pregnant, and that wasn't something that the family, like the Philsners, could easily hide. Now, Anna insisted that the father of her child was a Viennese doctor, a brilliant cancer researcher by the name of doctor Max maskushek. It sounded impressive, almost heroic even, but the problem was simple. There was no record of him that existed anywhere. No one saw him, no one knew of him. He was just something that she said. The truth, whatever it was, didn't matter as much as the scandal, and the scandal certainly came fast. It seemed like for the first time in her life, Anna's charm wasn't enough to smooth things over. So to contain the damage, parents sent her to live with her sister Caddie in Holland. She gave birth to her son, there Oscar on May thirty first of nineteen twenty five. She's still unmarried with this doctor knowher in sight and still the source of the family shame. And then she came back home. But the relationship between Anna and the rest of the Filsner household, while it was never quite the same. Oscar stayed behind with Anna's mother while Anna tried to reclaim her place in Fusen. But words spread fast, people whispered, and Anna, who always had the gift of gab, found herself boxed in by her own choices. By the time she was in her early twenties, Anna had outgrown her small Bavarian life, or maybe she had simply burned too many bridges to stay. Either way, she was looking outwards past the mountains and towards the United States of America. It held the prospect of a chance to start fresh, and by the winter of nineteen twenty nine, Anna had convinced herself that America would fix everything, because the US was far enough away that her past couldn't follow. So when she stepped onto the SS Muchin with a second class ticket and a suitcase, she was excited to leave the small Bavarian town's opinion behind her.
Speaker 2: That makes sense. Fresh starts are definitely appealing. I am curious, though, did she take her baby with her? Did she leave the babe with her parents.
Speaker 1: Her son stayed behind for now, for now, for now. Yes, so the plan would be to you know, head over to the States, get her root set, and then bring her son over.
Speaker 2: That was the s point. Okay, okay, yeah, that makes sense. It is too bad that everyone just I don't know. I mean, I was going to say things have changed, but I think people actually are still a little bit gossipy. It's just maybe about different things nowadays.
Speaker 1: I think it's different things and in different ways for sure, Like if someone's getting pregnant and they don't know who the father is, that might spread a little bit of gossip, but it's not going to be anything out of the ordinary these days.
Speaker 2: It's not necessarily going to put shame on your family.
Speaker 1: Right exactly. It's not like, oh she's pregnant, Hey, excited to meet the kid. That's going to be the more reaction. Yeah, that's gonna be the stuff that spreads, Oh she doesn't know who the father is, or she says it's this doctor. Might be a little bit of whispers, but no one's really going to care in this case. Hey, being religious where you know, premarital sex is a thing that sort of stuff. That's where the scandal really starts, when you get back into the olden days, olden days. And so yeah, it's just a whole different life, a whole different set of standards, I guess. But there's definitely still scandals that happen. It's just different.
Speaker 2: Topics, h you say it is. Yeah, it's definitely different.
Speaker 1: And now with social media too, it adds a whole new layer.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, isn't that the truth?
Speaker 1: When she arrived in New York in February after days at sea, she then traveled to Cincinnati, Ohio, a city that felt way familiar with its German roots. Much of the neighborhood spoke the same language that she grew up with, and it had its beer hauls, its bakeries and butcher shops, and church bells and German newspaper. It probably felt honestly more like Germany than America at first. Even she moved in with her relatives, Max and Anna Doschel. They were kind and patient from the very beginning. They even covered her ship fare when she arrived, but within weeks she got sick with scarlet fever and spent almost a month bedridden in their home. Now the docials. They took care of her while she recovered, expecting she would pay them back when she found work sort of thing. So they covered the fair, but it was you know, hey, we gotcha, just whenever you can pay us back. But as soon as Anna was healthy again, she simply left. There was no repayment or apology or explanation, just nothing.
Speaker 2: Okay, So she didn't really believe or think she owed them anything.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and this is the first hint of a pattern that would later control her entire life. If she could slip away from like an IOU or a responsibility like that, then she would I don't like that, No, it's greasy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So she soon found work, landing a job as a chambermaid at the massive five hundred room hotel Elms. It was an eye opening place for a young immigrant. Wealthy travelers came and went, leaving behind tips, stories, and opportunities as well. Anna watched carefully how people trusted hotel staff with personal belongings, and how easy it could be to get close to these strangers, and how charm something she had could smooth over almost anything. But the most life changing moment in Cincinnati happened somewhere far less glamorous at a community dance hall. That's where she met Philip Hahn, a telegraph operator for Western Union. Now Philip was polite, practical, and honestly the exact opposite of Anna in almost every way. He believed what she told him, and that she had trained as a nurse in Germany, which was clearly not true. That she wanted a stable life again, not so much, and that she was ready to put down roots again not so much. She was moving all over the place, her son was a country away, and you know, all these things were far off from the reality of her actual situation. Now, whether they were true, that she was actually striving for them or not, well, it didn't really matter. What mattered was Philip believed them through and through, and on May fifth, nineteen thirty, after a short courtship, they married in Buffalo, New York.
Speaker 2: I was just going to say, well, why wouldn't he really? Right? I feel like someone that you're interested in is necessarily be spelling lies to you, right, so I think you would just believe them?
Speaker 1: Why not? Yeah, you're totally right. Now. That same summer, Anna returned to Germany briefly to bring Oscar with her. Now five years old, he's coming to America. The three of them settled into a modest home in Cincinnati, trying to build a normal family life. But normal while that never lasted long. Around Anna, she started dipping into the finances of some older men that she'd known before the wedding, though there's no evidence that there was any sort of romantic or physical intimacy or anything. She just simply used her charm. One of those men was Charles Oswald, a retired baker she rented a room from for a short period. Now he'd grown attached to her back then, imagining a future between them, and now he denied signing over apparently twenty seven shares of Union Gas and Electric to her. Yet somehow those stocks landed in her possession. Bank records also show seven hundred dollars shifting into Anna's account around that same time. Now, she didn't really talk about it, Philip didn't really seem to ask in Oswald. Well, he didn't pursue anything, he couldn't prove anything, and probably because well he gave them to her and didn't want to admit it. But by nineteen thirty one, she sold all those stocks that she had acquired and used the money to help the couple invest in a small family business, a bakery and delicatesian kind of like a deli with baked breads and such as. Well, you know, so the idea of running their own shop, well it looked good on paper, especially during a time when steady work was hard to come by. But Anna wasn't built for slow, careful progress. She well, she wanted money fast instead, and she found a place where she could chase that feeling the race track. A harmless, little two dollar bet would win her two hundred and sixty dollars early on, and that small victory hooked her into betting at the racetrack, and very quickly she moved from the occasional wager to betting twenty dollars to thirty dollars and even fifty dollars a day. And remember this is the late nineteen twenties.
Speaker 2: Well, I was just thinking, that's a slippery slope right.
Speaker 1: There, exactly. And this was money that the couple absolutely could not afford to lose. And so as a result, the bakery began to struggle. Bills piled up, and Philip worked long shifts to keep them afloat. By nineteen thirty two, their little shop was hanging on by a threat. The Great Depression didn't spare small businesses either, and with Anna's growing gambling habit draining their pockets, the shop never really had a fair chance. When it finally folded, the couple found themselves renting rooms inside the home of a man by the name of Koch, a sixty to two year old widower who had owned the house and rented out rooms to lodgers, including Anna and a local physician named doctor Arthur Voss. Now. Koche was quiet, frail, and grateful for the company. To Anna, though he wasn't just company. He was a man with money, a man with feeling health, and no close relatives really to keep an eye on him. So she made a move and became a part of his life with almost no effort. Really. She began helping around the house, you know, preparing meals, running errands, and betraying herself as a caring, dependable presence. Philip meanwhile, worked long hours and wasn't home much. But soon Anna started stealing from Koch small things at first, you know, loose change, pantry items, and other things from other people in the house too, including prescription pads from doctor Arthur Voss who but these prescription pads, well, they turned into a dangerous territory. Using a doctor's forged signature, she began writing orders for morphine, which she filled and kept for herself. Now whether she used it, recreationally sold it, or whatever isn't exactly clear. But what is clear is that Coach suddenly got very sick around the same time, and it is possible that she began experimenting with this as her first means of poison.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's interesting because she seems like she could be good, but then she is. Also she's actually just this terrible human.
Speaker 1: She's a monster. I will see. Yeah, yes she is, But.
Speaker 2: I don't know. There's little glimpses I guessed it in there where it's like, okay, like she could have gone a good way.
Speaker 1: But anyone can, anyone can go a good way. But what is what is she showing that's good about her?
Speaker 2: I'm yeah, I guess everything she does does have an ulterior motive.
Speaker 1: So yeah, she's manipulating every single person around her. She's creating relationships and everything for means to an end. Now I don't know for certain, but even her husband. Potentially there's a means to an end there. She's not necessarily after him for hey, a relationship, a husband, a partner, someone to go through life and enjoy things with and maybe raise her son, that sort of stuff. I don't think so. I think she's more after someone to financial support her. And there is a little bit of evidence to go along with that that I'll mention here a little bit later.
Speaker 2: I don't know. For some I don't maybe it's because it's like a female or for some reason. I'm just struggling because, you know, I like the idea of someone wanting a fresh start and stuff. But I know, yeah, she's a terrible person. It's going to just get worse. So I need to change my mindset.
Speaker 1: Think of it this way.
Speaker 2: Why did she want a fresh start because she burnt shit back home? I guess exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's looking for a fresh start, not because she's looking for herself, but she's looking for fresh people to.
Speaker 2: Manipulate who don't know of her ways exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, Throughout April and early May of nineteen thirty three, well Co suffered waves of excruciating abdominal pain, vomiting weakness, and even trouble swallowing. Doctors believed that he was getting throat cancer and that was causing this. And Anna, well, she never questioned that diagnosis. In fact, she supported it and almost even encouraged it. Oddly enough, and on May sixth, nineteen thirty three, Koch passed away. No one suspected anything criminal, no one ordered an autopsy, and Anna the attentive caretaker position that she jumped into while she walked away with everything he had. Koach's will named her his soul air shit. He gave her his home, personal belongings, and whatever savings he had left. She even kept his ashes in an urn on her mantle for a while.
Speaker 2: Huh, okay, that I mean but she okay, I don't know. I'm just going to keep listening. She did care for him, but also she was probably the reason of his just demise.
Speaker 1: So oh she was for sure?
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh, okay, okay, she shed He would have lived a longer life without her having ever moving.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't say technically that she was for sure. I don't believe she was conveyed did on him. Let's say that, but it's almost certain. How's that?
Speaker 2: Okay? Okay, that's sad?
Speaker 1: So years later, when her crimes did finally come to light, investigators would revisit Coach's death and classify it as her likely first poisoning.
Speaker 2: Okay, so.
Speaker 1: They know that she is the cause of his death, but there's technically not a conviction attached to his name. So that's kind of why I'm being iffy on the clarification there. They've attached that death to her, but there's no conviction, is what I'm trying to say now. At the time of his death, though, too, there was no red flags raised, No one questioned it. It was just, oh, you know what, stuff happens to older people, and that was really that.
Speaker 2: And he was literally just this little old man that lost his wife and wanted company.
Speaker 1: Pretty much now, before Coach, Anna gambled, lied and stole, and she hadn't crossed a line that directly ended someone's life before. But after Koch While she learned something, she learned that she could get away with murder, and once Anna realized that, everything started to accelerate. In nineteen thirty four and nineteen thirty five, more financial chaos followed. Their home on Coleraine Avenue suffered multiple suspicious fires, three in total. None were large enough to destroy the home entirely, but each resulted in an insurance payout. By the third fire in May of nineteen thirty six, the Hans in fact collected roughly two thousand dollars in combined insurance money, not a fortune, but definitely enough to keep them afloat for a while. Investigators years later would note that the pattern was certainly odd, but at the time nothing stuck to her. Just like with Koch, Anna walked away clean. Now around this same time, she tried taking out a policy for life insurance on her husband. And this is where I was saying, I'm not certain that the relationship with her husband was something of a partnership, and she's searching for hey actual husband, because at first she tried to take out a ten thousand dollars life insurance policy, which the company refused, but then she applied for a five thousand dollars one, which was approved, and right on cue, Philip became mysteriously ill. His legs stiffened and he developed something called drop foot, making it very hard to walk. Doctors couldn't explain it, and Philip eventually thankfully recovered, but the timing wasn't lost on anyone once Anna's full story finally came out.
Speaker 2: So his life was worth five thousand dollars to.
Speaker 1: Her potentially, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: I mean I don't know what that equates to now, but yeah, that's not much really.
Speaker 1: No, not in the grand scheme of things now. Meanwhile, in June nineteen thirty six, she met George Heath, a coal dealer. He was friendly, trusting, and far too generous with Anna. He invited her into his life. He let her cook for him and started referring to her even as his girl and just like Koch and even Philip, while he soon became violently sick. Now, George eventually connected the dots himself, though after a few too many meals prepared by Anna, he realized something wasn't right. When he finally kicked her out of the home, he was partially paralyzed. Now he survived, but he knew exactly what had happened, that she was poisoning him. In July nineteen thirty six, she was now crossing paths with Stina Cable in a public restroom. Now Stina was there and the two met, and they began chatting, and Anna convinced her to go grab a beer together. At some point during their brief friendship, money went missing, about eight hundred dollars in total, in fact, and Steena became extremely ill, suffering symptoms that matched Anna's known methods of poisoning. Now, thankfully, she too survived, but only barely, spending nearly a year recovering from the encounter. Now, these incidents, while they marked a very important change in Anna's behavior, she wasn't just taking advantage of older men anymore. She wasn't targeting people only for their inheritance. She was in fact expanding, testing to see how far she could push things, how many different ways she could make cash appear, and how quickly she could remove someone who got in her way. Because remember, she just met this person in a public bathroom and went for a few beers and started a friendship with this woman. And now suddenly they too are falling ill, and her.
Speaker 2: Pockets are filled with you know, a few hundred bucks exactly.
Speaker 1: So things are definitely expanding beyond you know, just the charming these old men who are looking for a friend, She's looking for anyone who wants a friend. She was learning that if people collapsed, that if people you know, had issues, They just assumed illnesses. If someone died, people assumed age, bad luck, or you know what, natural decline. No one suspected the smiling, blonde Bavarian immigrant who offered home cooked meals warm company to her friends and you know what, a little bit of care along the way. By the end of nineteen thirty six, Anna's first verified killing would be that of seventy two year old Albert Parker. He was a lonely widower who welcomed Anna's attention and trusted her more than he should have. She eased into his life, visiting often, sharing meals, and accepting loans that she never intended to repay. As with so many of her relationships, things started with warmth and ended in illness. Now Parker began suffering intense stomach cramps, waves of nausea, and spells of weakness. The symptoms grew worse over time, and by March of nineteen thirty seven he was bed ridden. There was no reason for doctors to suspect foul play. In fact, when he died on March twenty sixth, he was an elderly man living alone and had found him quietly. At least that's what everyone thought. The IOU he had given Anna conveniently vanished, and she slipped away from the situation with one less creditor and one more secret, and not long after would be seventy eight year old Jacob Wagner. He was another elderly gentleman, a German immigrant living in Cincinnati, and Anna built trust with him by showing up regularly with food. There were small comforts and friendly conversations as always too, and she even introduced herself to his neighbors as his niece, which no one questioned. Within weeks, she was managing his meals, spending long stretches of time inside his home, and it's no surprise that he began suffering the same pattern of symptoms, vomiting, abdominal pain, and sudden weakness. Anna was poisoning him through one of his favorite drinks, orange juice, something he enjoyed and never suspected that.
Speaker 2: Bitch, don't fuck with someone's orange juice, right.
Speaker 1: Like, come on now now. On June third, nineteen thirty seven, died in agony. Doctors saw nothing suspicious about a frailman dying, but you know what, his relatives immediately noticed something unusual. There was a new will that appeared one that left seventeen thousand dollars nearly all of his savings too. Anna. It was a shocking amount of money, especially given how recent she had you know, just appeared into his life.
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: His family contested it, pushing for clarity, but without any reason to believe that a crime had taken place, their concerns went nowhere. The deaths certificate, well, it listed natural causes, and Anna collected the inheritance, and nobody, not even her closest acquaintances, noticed that she just walked away from her second poisoning in a matter of months.
Speaker 2: That is a lot of money. But I just also have to say too, like these men living in their seventies back then, that's like a pretty good age, right, yeah, exactly so, I it also makes sense that no one would question that at all.
Speaker 1: Now. Just over four weeks later, another man crossed her path. This time it was sixty seven year old George Jiselman, a widowed rail worker who lived a quiet, modest life. He needed help around the house and was glad to pay Anna for her time. She told people she was acting as a nurse, a role that she never actually studied for, but she played convincingly well, at least enough to gain trust. All this while, Anna had been using arsenic as her weapon of choice, But by the summer of nineteen thirty seven, Anna had also started experimenting with another substance called croton oil, a toxin that caused violent vomiting and dehydration. She had purchased it the year before and now began using it to speed up the effects of illnesses. Joselman fell sick almost immediately after eating the meals that she prepared for him, and his condition deteriorated fast. There was wretching, collapsing. He was unable to hold food down or water. It became a constant. He died on July SI, just days after Anna entered his life, and before his final week was over. He had paid her a total of fifteen thousand dollars for her quote unquote quote care that she was providing him.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, gracious, So she made that amount of money in just a couple of days.
Speaker 1: Really, basically yeah. He had no close relatives to follow the money, no one who questioned why his health had taken a nose dive so suddenly, and in a pattern that was becoming increasingly clear in hindsight. Anna wasted no time collecting what she believed she was owed, but behind the scenes, her problems were only getting worse. The inheritance money that she kept bringing in it was being burnt away almost as fast as it arrived. Her gambling lost her more than it ever won her home life with Philip had grown cold and distant, and she was running out of elderly men in Cincinnati who had already you know what, began hearing whispers about a woman with borrowing habits. She needed another victim, someone with money, someone she could isolate, someone who trusted her enough to travel with her to get away from those growing whispers. And that's when she met George Odin Beaufort, a quiet, sixty seven year old cobbler who kept to himself and lived a simple life. She wasted no time making herself indispensable to him. She visited, often, helped with errands, played the part of a warm companion, just as she had with so many others. Now, George was kind, soft spoken, and lonely, the exact type of man that Anna gravitated towards, and it didn't take long before she convinced him to take a trip with her. The story she told him was that she had property in Colorado, a ranch in fact, that she wanted to show him. It sounded extravagant, and George trusted her. Her young son, Oscar, was even going to come along in the trip, which gave this trip some more con text, more safe feeling, even innocent appearance. So the three boarded a train together in late July of nineteen thirty seven, heading westward towards what George believed was a pleasant getaway now. Oscar later told an interviews that his mother served George several drinks during that train ride. There were just simple refreshments, nothing suspicious on the surface, but soon after drinking them, George began to feel sick, and by the time they reached Colorado Springs, Well, he was invisible agony. He could barely stand without support, his legs shook underneath him, and his stomach twisted in cramps so severe that he had trouble even speaking. Anna didn't let this ruin the plans, though, She checked them into the Park hotel as if nothing were wrong. While George lay curled up on the bed, sweating and dry heaving, she went sightseeing with her son. She told the hotel staff simply not to worry about George. She was just tired from the trip. She smiled her friendly mile as she explained this, and no one questioned her. By July thirty first, George couldn't walk in his zone. His symptoms kept getting worse, with vomiting, diarrhea, unbearable abdominable pain, and it was obvious he needed some medical help. Things were getting so bad, but Anna did finally take him to Memorial Hospital, but once he was admitted, she just left him there. The staff thought her behavior was strange. She didn't ask exactly many questions, she didn't seem worried, she didn't exactly stay very long. She was just distant and George Odin Beaufort, unfortunately, died on August first, nineteen thirty seven, in a hospital bed hundreds of miles from home. There was no explanation that doctors had. His decline had been so sudden, so violent, and so unlike anything they routinely saw with older patients. In fact, so much so that they reported the death to police. Not because they were they suspected a murder, but it was just so unusual they needed the information documented so as per request of the police, the hotel staff entered the room after George's death. They began cataloging his belongings, which was standard procedure, but as they worked through the list of items he was known to carry, they realized several pieces were missing. A diamond ring that he had worn early while it was gone, as was his gold watch and a few other small valuables he'd always kept on him. Hotel staff filed a report mentioning the missing items from the room, and officers learned that a woman matching Anna's description had tried to pawn similar items at a local pawn shop. The pawn dealer described her perfectly, and by the time police arrived at the hotel to question her, while she was already gone, she had fled Colorado and headed back to Cincinnati. Now words spread quickly, Colorado investigators contacted Ohio authorities, and while they relayed everything Georgia's sudden illness, the missing jewelry, the attempted pawn and the fact that Anna A's story she gave investigators about hardly knowing the men when they did question her, didn't line up with the hotel logbook, which listed them as traveling together. George's family told police that George had been in good health before the trip. They also said he had spoken about Anna Fondley so much so that he, you know what, traveled with her and trusted her. So they definitely knew each other. And when they heard she had already attempted to withdraw eleven thousand dollars from his bank account, claiming to be his wife, yeah, the suspicion turned into outrage. His relatives knew George had never been seriously ill, He was active, steady on his feet, He lived a simple, predictable life. None of it made any sense, so they reached out to the Cincinnati police, and here's where everything began to unravel. For Anna. Investigators started by checking into her background, and they learned that she wasn't just a passing acquaintance of George. She had purchased you know, the train ticket herself. Even she'd also checked into the hotel with him, as we knew, and she'd tried to withdraw those thousands of dollars in the bank account. All of this was painting quite the picture, and it didn't take long for rumors to drift through Cincinnati as well. People talked neighbors remember details suddenly worth repeating. A banker mentioned that Anna had once tried to access another elderly man's funds. A grocer recalled how she always seemed to be caring for someone who was on their last legs, even though those men never looked sick until she arrived. Someone else pointed out that there was other deaths that just happened in the past year that seemed to surround her. And then came the breakthrough. The Wagner family, still bitter about Jacob Wagner's strange will that gave her all of his possessions and everything he owned, well, they reached out to the police after hearing about George Odenbaufer. They said Jacob had been perfectly fine before Anna moved into his life, and they even mentioned the orange juice she always brought him. They complained about how quickly she took char Ardud of his house, and they told investigators outright quote, we always believed that will was fake. Not long after that, relatives of George Joselman appeared with concerns too, and then acquaintances of Albert Park and then people who knew Eric Kosch, and it was a loose thread basically at this point, a loose thread that, like on a sweater, you pull this and it just stitches, keep coming undone.
Speaker 2: Well, it was really only a matter of time that did she think she was going to just be able to keep getting away with this shit?
Speaker 1: She seemed to like, it's just bonkers.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 1: But for the first time now though, like police were realizing they might not be dealing with a single suspicious death. This was more like a pattern that looked a lot like a serial killer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's a serial kill.
Speaker 1: She is. Yeah, and she, like you said, thought that she could just keep doing it. Meanwhile, Colorado authorities were still trying to determine how George oden Beaufer had died so quickly. They arranged for a full autopsy, and when the results came in, they found his cause of death was arsenic, not a trace amount, not an accidental contamination, but a massive, unmistakable dose. The moment this finding was shared with Cincinnati, everything changed. Investigators now had a confirmed poisoning tied to a woman whose past was suddenly filled with convenient deaths. They reached out to Hamilton County officials with growing concerns suggesting that more autopsies might actually be necessary. It was an unusual request. I mean, Ohio had already buried several of these men. Exhimation was invasive, it was costly and emotionally difficult for families, but curiosity was quickly turning into alarm, and the families agreed that it had to be done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would too if I were them.
Speaker 1: Yep. So within days, the bodies of Jacob Wagner and George Gisselman were lifted from their graves and sent for examination, and the results were shot. Wagner's organs contained four times the lethal dose of arsenic, so much poison that the medical examiner said he couldn't believe the man survived for as long as he did. Just Slman's body showed something different, but equally disturbing signs of severe poisoning by croton oil, a toxic substance that causes uncontrollable vomiting and dehydration. As I mentioned earlier, she was playing with new new substances. Let's say that his illness had matched all these things perfectly, and with this information, investigators could no longer pretend that there were simply coincidences. So by the time police went to search Anna's house. They weren't just looking for clues. They were expecting to find something incriminating, and what they discovered exceeded anything they predicted. Inside covers, drawers, and tucked behind bottles, they found poisons galore, arsenic rat poisoning, mysterious powders and liquids, and unmarked containers. They found documents linked to multiple victims, bank books, IOU's altered papers, and questionable wills that were clearly forged. Upon examination, the financial trails showed sudden cash deposits, pawn slips, and withdrawals that lined up neatly with each victim's death. They also found evidence of her gambling debts and her attempts to ensure her husband's life. People who had once been close to the victims also began to speak up. Neighbors remembered bringing meals things like that that she do to these ill individuals survivors. In fact, they recalled becoming violently sick after food that she prepared. Others described being pressured to sign documents that were too they were too weak to read them or really understand what was going on. Taken together, these accounts painted a picture that matched the forensic findings and everything that was in her home all too well. There was no question of whether Anna Marie Han was poisoning men. Point the only question left was how many men had she actually killed. She was swiftly arrested on August twenty fourth, nineteen thirty seven. In fact, she almost seemed calm when officers informed her she was being taken into custody. She didn't protest or expressed shock, just a brief flicker of irritation, as though police had interrupted her day rather than you know, accusing her of murder. At the headquarters, investigators began asking the questions They pressed her on, the sudden inheritance from Jacob Wagner, the trip to Colorado with George Odenbaufer, and the found forged documents tying her to estates that should never have passed into her hands. And of course she denied everything, claiming she was being targeted because she was a foreigner, a mother, and a woman trying to make a living. But when detectives confronted her with the toxicology reports and evidence found in her house, well that's when things started to crumble. During one interview, she admits that she had given quote medicine to several of the men, though she insisted she was only trying to help their ailments. Later, she shifted again, suggesting that perhaps they'd accidentally taken the wrong doses. Eventually, she offered more direct admissions, acknowledging she had given arsenic to four of the men, only to take it back during the next round of questioning. Though meanwhile, the public's interest in the unfolding story grew rapidly. Newspapers described her as attractive, charming, and deceptively gentle, leaning heavily into the contrast between her appearance and the accusation against her. More witnesses began stepping forward as well, strengthening the case. But somehow, even as the mounting evidence made her situation look increasingly dire, Anna maintained a sense of confidence. She hired attorneys and insisted she was going to clear her name, but it was too late for that. The forensic reports had been conclusive, the financial motive was clear, and the number of suspicious deaths connected her continued to rise. The trial of Anna Marie Han began on October eleventh, nineteen thirty seven. Reporters filled the hallways before sunrise, hoping to secure seats in a courtroom already buzzing with anticipation, and curious locals waited outside just to catch a glimpse of the woman accused of poisoning elderly men for money. Remember this is in an era where female killers were almost unheard of. The idea of a young mother sitting at a defense table made the case irresistible to the public. Anna walked into the courtroom, dressed neatly, her hair tidy, her expression again almost confident. She looked more like a school teacher than someone accused of murdering multiple men, and that contrast became the constant point of fascination for the press, who studied every glance, every tilt of her head, and just searching for signs of the monster that they expected to see. When things began, the prosecution didn't waste time establishing their narrative. She was only tried for one of the murders. That was the murder of Jacob Wagner, because his case carried the strongest forensic evidence, the clearest financial motive, and the highest chance of securing a conviction that would still result in the maximum penalty. Still, prosecutors were prepared with much more evidence and stories to discuss beyond just his death. In this case, they called doctors, toxicologists, and coroners who examined the exumed bodies of Jacob Wagner and others. The courtroom listened as experts described lethal concentrations of arsenic found in their organs, amounts far beyond anything accidental or even environmental. Charts and diagrams were brought in to explain how arsenic ravages the human body, and then the prosecution brought forward the people who had known these men, relatives, neighbors, acquaintances. They all took the stand and described how Anna had appeared in their lives, offering to help with meals, errands, and all this companionship. They described sudden illnesses that began shortly after her involvement, and financial decisions that made no sense. Wills changed, loans were given, savings withdrawn, all of it. One by one, they traced her presence through each victim's final days. The most impactful testimony came from a survivor, George Heiss. He had once trusted Anna enough to let her care for him, only to become violently ill after eating food she prepared and he grew seriously concerned and realized what was happening before he confronted her and told her to leave. Financial experts would follow, laying out the rapid rise in Anna's bank accounts and deposits and everything after each death. Records show life insurance policies, forge wills, and sudden access to accounts that had once belonged to the deceased, And after weeks of testimony, the defense well they finally had their turn. Their strategy centered on reframing Anna as a devoted mother driven by desperation and aunt malice. They argued that the confession that she had given to police, while it was a result of pressure and exhaustion. They questioned the validity of the exhumed remains and suggested that the men had died from natural causes, causes that merely mimicked poisoning. Anna herself took the stand as well, Looking calm and composed, She denied every single accusation, insisting she had cared for these men, not harm them, and that she was a victim of lies, misunderstanding, and the circumstances around her twisting the story. Her son, Oscar just twelve years old, now testified that he'd never seen his mother give poison to anyone. He described her as loving and a tentative, and the sight of the young boy defending his mother stirred a law a lot of sympathy in that courtroom. But sympathy only goes so far.
Speaker 2: Well, that was a pretty good strategy though, to put him in there. Hey, death defense, it's kind of dirty.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, I think there. I don't know if they would allow that today. I'm not sure if there's like a certain age or anything. I really have no clue, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't hear about it, really, you certainly don't. Now.
Speaker 1: By the end of the defense's presentation, the evidence presented by the prosecution still dominated the courtroom. The jury had heard over a hundred witnesses, each adding another piece to the puzzle that no longer resembled any sort of coincidence. The closing arguments summed up the case with a sharp clarity. Wherever Anna went, illness followed, and death wasn't far behind. When the jury finally retreated to deliberate, the courtroom held its breath, and it took them only a very short time to reach a decision. As they filed back in the courtroom and sat stiffly at the defense table. She stared straight ahead, almost refusing to look at the jurors as they returned to their seats. The foreman stood up and the room went still. The jury found Anna guilty of first degree murder for the seventy eight year old Jacob Wagner.
Speaker 2: Good there would have been if it was any other outcome, that would not be okay. I agree, It's very obvious. Really, they had so much evidence, so.
Speaker 1: Much, a ridiculous amount. Now Anna didn't collapse or cry. Instead, she stared blankly ahead, just frozen in disbelief. It was as if she finally realized that charm, that confidence, that the calm explanations she had relied on her entire life, they were no longer enough to protect her.
Speaker 2: It had expired yeap.
Speaker 1: Now, her husband, Philip Hann, who had remained loyal through the trial despite everything swirling around his wife, he broke down upon hearing that decision. He leaned forward in his seat and buried his face in his hands, shaking as though the ground had been pulled from beneath him. Now, their son Oscar wasn't present for the verdict On November tenth, nineteen thirty seven. The judge pronounced the sentencing. When asked if she had anything to say, Anna stood, trembling but defiant. She insisted she was innocent. Her voice cracked as she addressed the court, but it wasn't enough to change the outcome. Anna was sentenced to death in the electric chair.
Speaker 2: Oh my, okay, I was wondering if that was going to be the sentencing.
Speaker 1: Newspapers across the country ran dramatic headlines, calling her the blonde Borgia, the poised angel, and even arsenic Annie.
Speaker 2: M there we go.
Speaker 1: The idea of a woman, not just any woman, but a young, attractive mother being sentenced to death electrified the public. Pun intended. Some felt she deserved nothing less, but others felt unsettled by the thought of a woman in the electric chair. But regardless of opinion, the name Anna Marie Hahn was now cemented in American true crime history. Anna was soon transported to Ohio State Penitentiary and Columbus, arriving on December one, nineteen thirty seven. The prison's women's section was small, and her new home was a narrow cell in the death House, the same building that held the electric chair. She was now destined to meet. While the few other women in the penitentiary worked in quiet, repetitive routines, Anna spent most of her time alone, cut off from the rhythms of normal prison life. Guards described her as polite but withdrawn, pacing in her cell, sitting for hours with her hands folded in her lap. Her appeals moved slowly through the court system as her attorney's fouled motion, arguing the evidence was circumstantial, that publicity had influenced the jury, and that her confession had been made under duress. But in early nineteen thirty eight, the Ohio courts of appeal well, they rejected the claim. While the rejections stacked up an as emotional state shifted, she leaned heavily into religion, meeting with priests, reading scriptures, and writing letters filled with expressions of faith and remorse. Now whether this transformation was genuine or a grasp for comfort in her final final days, it's impossible to know, but by all accounts she became deeply devout. Her son, Oscar, visited her when he could, escorted into the penitentiary by relatives who cared for him. As her execution date approached, Anna spent her time writing letters, praying, and speaking with the prison's chaplain, Father John Sullivan. December seventh, nineteen thirty eight began quietly inside the alcohol Io State Penitentiary. Anna had barely slept. She knew it was coming, and in the hours leading up, she paced her cell, gripped her bars, and whispered prayers and pausing every few minutes to sit down, as though her legs couldn't hold her upright for long. Evening approached and Father John Sullivan arrived to sit with her. The two spoke softly, their voices barely audible outside the cell. He read scriptures with her, offered comfort in the only form she still believed in, and at eight pm the guards came for her. The walk to the execution chamber was short, but halfway there, her knees began to buckle. She began to shake so violently that the guards had to support her by her arms, and they paused to give her a moment to breathe, but she seemed unable to find her footing. Her terror was overwhelming her. With the help of smelling salts, they marched her forward. Her eyes were wet and unfocused as the heavy wooden door at the end of the corridor grew nearer. Reporters, attorneys, officials, and the Warden himself watched as Anna was helped into the chair and leather straps were pulled tight around her wrists and ankles. Her head drooped, and when she finally lifted it, her face was streaking with tears. Father Sullivan stood close repeated the Lord's Prayer with her, and she recited it softly, breath by breath, and the final words barely escaped her lips. When the warden gave the signal at eight thirteen pm, the switch was thrown. The current surged through her body, snapping her head back against the chair as the electricity did its work, and within seconds her body fell still. The doctor stepped forward, checking for a pulse, and pronounced her dead at thirty two years old. Warden Woodward looked shaken, unable to hide the weight of overseeing the first execution of a woman in Ohio's history.
Speaker 2: They don't mess around back then. I feel like all of this shit happened so quickly, Like her trial was the year previous and now it's the next year and she's gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she sat on death row for one year.
Speaker 2: Wow, yep, okay.
Speaker 1: Not only that, but even the morning after her death well in the cemetery grounds in Columbus. Her burial happened on December eighth, so just one day later, there's there. It is done now. It was overseen by a few officials and a priest who read a brief prayer before she was lowered into the ground. It was definitely a stark contrast from the spectacle that her trial was like. Like you mentioned a year ago, it was so many people, so many headlines, so much interest. But now there was barely anyone standing around her. Now she was placed in a Catholic cemetery, though not in consecrated ground. Her crimes made sure that was not going to be the case. Oscar, her twelve year old son, did not attend the burial. In the days following her execution, he was moved into the care of another family, with his name changed to protect him from the attention that still did surround the case. His mother had been one of the most talked about killers of the decade, and her story had spread far beyond just Ohio. The best hope for his future was definitely anonymity. In the years that followed. People kept returning to Anna's case, not because of the scale of the murders per se, but because of who she was, a female serial killer. That alone was enough to return to her story. That alone was rare at the time, trying to understand how someone who appeared warm, polite, and eager to help could someone like that could carry out so many poisonings without detection. It all made for public fascination and honestly something historical. Her crimes also had an unexpected impact on how investigators approached suspicious deaths, especially those involving elderly victims. Before her arrest, many of the men she poisoned were simply believed to have died of age related illness or natural causes. Autopsies weren't always performed, especially when there was no obvious trauma. Anna's case helped shift that thinking. Forensic toxicology while it began to play more of a central role in death investigations, especially where poisoning was obviously a possibility. Because of it all, her case became an example used in training and textbooks, a reminder that a quiet death could still be a violent one. For the families of the victims, answers came too late to bring any real comfort. They received confirmation, yes, but not really closure. Some of them learned only through newspaper headlines that their loved ones in fact had been exhumed and tested, and the realization that Anna had deliberately targeted these men long before authority suspected anything. While left lingering bitterness. By the time her trial concluded, many felt that justice had been served, but none walked away feeling whole. Over time, the edges of the story while it began to soften like many do, but the core of it remains very unsettling. It's not a tale of rage or impulse, but of patience and calculation. Poison requires closeness, it requires time, and in every case, Anna stayed long enough to watch her victims deteriorate, always positioning herself as the helpful caregiver. That contradiction, the smiling face and the deadly intent. That's what kept her case alive long after she was gone. In the end, Anna Marie Han left behind no legacy of her own, with even her son starting a new life with a new name, She left only the stories of those who died under her care. Her burial plot in Columbus remains quiet, with no crowds, without flowers, and without the family she had once tried to build a life with. History remembers her, but certainly not for the smiling, polite, beautiful woman she portrayed herself as, but simply as arsenic Annie. And that's the story of arsenic Anny.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, for the record, I'm definitely not on her side at all anymore. She is like peer evil, peer chaos really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the irony too in the fact that she wanted money fast, but she has the patience to kill someone slowly like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like she did so many though in a fairly short period of time though, And she did gather a lot.
Speaker 1: Of money that just pissed away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like she just I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, lost it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is crazy because that money should have, you know, lasted with her for a long ass time.
Speaker 1: So technically, she wasn't even killing for money. She was killing for a gambling addiction. That's what she was killing for, not for wealth, for gam for entertainment. She was killing for entertaining herself in a different way, not because she per se enjoyed the killings, and not saying she didn't. She may have, but she was looking for pursuing her gambling.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, so she really did have two problems. A gambling problem and then she also was like a cold blooded murderer.
Speaker 1: I think she's just one big old problem. Yeah, she herself you know.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't remember the one guy's name. Well, and the female too. They both just dodged a bullet. Like that is so awesome that that one guy you know, kept her out, was able to step back and realize, like, this lady is doing this to me, because yeah, his fate was like pretty well sealed.
Speaker 1: Basically he managed to escape because he had that realization. Yeah, so props to him for actually coming to that realization because that would probably be hard to do, especially when you have someone who's convincing you and talking you into these things and is charming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when she's really good at what she's doing exactly, Yeah, because she I think she comes off as just like pure innocent really to.
Speaker 1: Them, right, Oh definitely, and that's what she does. She plays this up. Yeah, she's hiding behind a mask of innocence, beauty even but when really behind it is a full on monster.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, and she did something to her husband as well, right, she at least.
Speaker 1: Was testing poisons on him. Whether she was intending to kill him or not, I don't know, but yeah, he definitely got sick. He had that the foot thing, Yeah, the what was it a drop leg they called it, And yeah, he got better, thankfully, and she just went on to other people. Maybe she realized it might be too close. Maybe he's not old enough and she targeted older people. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, he had to know that something was going on, though. I think she was doing something and he was just turning away from it.
Speaker 1: Well, he was working all the time though too. He may not have been aware of all these people that she's seen.
Speaker 2: Well, if I just suddenly brought in, say twenty grand, would you not be like what you doing?
Speaker 1: Did he know she was bringing in that money? Or does she just bring it in and just instantly go gamble it and he knew none the wiser I guess.
Speaker 2: But I mean like the police were able to find it very easily throughout their home. So I mean like if he opened his eyeballs and was observant, there would be signs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, clearly he wasn't. Maybe he knew, you're right, Maybe he knew but maybe he was just ignorant to the situation. Maybe he didn't want to know, and he forced himself to turn a blind eye that way, and that's how he didn't know.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, what a wild story though, that is. You know, it's pretty shitty to think that you could get up to that age and then someone just like takes that much advantage of you. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's bonkers. People suck, they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's literally how we could end every one of these cases.
Speaker 1: Ye welcome, wicked and grim. People suck, thank you, goodbye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not all people, but there definitely are some, like really really evil ones out there.
Speaker 1: There's good souls and bad souls. There's light, there's dark. It's yin and yang, right, but yeah, yeah, it's just hard to see the light sometimes when you look at people like this because god dang, she sucks. But anyways, I digress. You guys are amazing. The fact that you're here supporting us says you guys are some of the cool people out there. You don't suck, You're awesome. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm going to leave it at that and until next time, stay wicked.