Speaker 1: All right, welcome back to Babylon. We are the podcast that is watching and reacting and breaking down episodes of Babylon five. We just watched season two, episode nineteen. I believe divided loyalties.
Speaker 2: I'm deeply conflicted. This was a monkey's paw kind of thing. Man. Yes, yes, I would love to say Lida again. Oh well, how would you feel about it? Us psychically dying?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we paid a price. We didn't know we had to pay exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: The Babylon Podcast was our last best hope for a deep dive, a self contained discussion for hosts, strong located in the neutral territory of the Zokolow, a place of commentary and analysis for two veterans and two newcomers, a shining beacon of fandom, all alone in the streaming void. It was the dawn of the streaming age, the year the great theories came upon us. All this is the story of Babylon. The year is twenty twenty six. The place wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 5: I'm Jenny.
Speaker 1: I'm a huge fan of the show and I've watched it through multiple times.
Speaker 6: I'm Jen I'm a showrunner and screenwriter, and I watched the show back in the day, and I am pretty sure this was the episode I started with. Wow, really finally cut up, I went, I caught reruns and I caught some licens past, But like I'm this is I'm pretty sure this was my entry into the show.
Speaker 2: That's the hell of a start site. Yep, I'm gus. I am an actor. I like Leda Alexander a lot. I liked Alia Winters a lot. I'm very confused, and this is my first time watching the show.
Speaker 3: Ali, I'm the first time watch of the show and it is unnoticed.
Speaker 5: Well, can you tell me why the show is on notice?
Speaker 3: Is it not obvious.
Speaker 1: For the podcast listeners because of the character assassination of my girl.
Speaker 2: Character character the character.
Speaker 7: It will not stand JMS, this shall not stand. You shall be hearing from my lawyers.
Speaker 6: This was not like, this was not the character assassination and the like writers really like fucked up and didn't tell the character. This was literally like, I'm killing her character but keeping her on the show.
Speaker 2: There's a guy and the guy and they got to kill the guy. They're not going to kill the guy, but they're going to kind of kill the guy.
Speaker 7: I am I am bereading kill the guy. I am befuddled.
Speaker 4: M M.
Speaker 3: Why was isn't it Warren keV.
Speaker 2: Warren Keffer has great things in store for him, Ali, I'm sure he does.
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 2: Season one, Signs and Poor Tense, Season two, The Coming of Shadows, Season three, Keffer's uh Ship, Warren Keffer's day off the Kening.
Speaker 6: Yes, he goes, and he goes electric.
Speaker 2: I'm tokyo Keff.
Speaker 3: Listen. It was a great reveal. It's a great reveal, crazy reveal, not want to believe it?
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 6: You guys were so cute dancing away from it the whole time. You're like, but it can't be okay.
Speaker 2: Because she was exposed to psychor but I don't want it to be. I didn't want I would rather it not be. I was like, well it's not probably. I was like, could we get no? But what I mean? Once it wasn't the main three, I was like, Okay, it's got to be Talia now because it's not going to be evolved. It's kind of got it because all I had so much screen time in this episode.
Speaker 5: Flabbergasted.
Speaker 1: Yes, she had lots of screen time in this episode. I'm gonna I don't normally steer things as hard as I'm about to steer them. But I'm just I'm I'm utterly they were having a silky pajama sleep over.
Speaker 6: Yes, they were Jenny steer.
Speaker 2: Very close to each other's faces in a few different points in that thing there, and I was kind of watching it. I was like, I'm, yeah, I'm cool with this. I'm totally fine with this happening. I just don't think it's going to because it's the it's the nineties, and I'm not going to be the one who advocates.
Speaker 3: For it, but I will be writing the fan fic.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, what do you think actually, like canonically, because I'm I'm I'm okay, what do you think canonically happened?
Speaker 6: There?
Speaker 3: Girls girl having a sleepover?
Speaker 5: No, they were canonically doing it?
Speaker 6: What was Yeah? Yes, reached out in the bed and tell and one she was like she reached out stretched out for Evanava and there was empty bed.
Speaker 5: I can't believe I have to see it so far? How did you not? We're both shocked.
Speaker 6: We're both like, because.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to be the pervy man on the podcast, who went I met the two girls who are having to sleep over fucking That's why I didn't because.
Speaker 6: They were fucking. That's probably something about it.
Speaker 3: I said something about it.
Speaker 2: We had been just look.
Speaker 1: I saw Ali's face go oh, and then I saw you tamp down your feelings.
Speaker 5: There was a point in the up in your where you're because.
Speaker 3: I didn't believe in the nineties.
Speaker 7: That's the same that's the same thing is because I was like, well, they can't let me be one.
Speaker 2: When they first had their moment together, They're like, yeah, we could spend more time together. I kind of went, are we too, And then I went no, because I would have heard about.
Speaker 6: That hang Outkalow. They were like, they were like, you're kinda You're kind of never you know, because I thought that shows.
Speaker 1: Up at her door with a bottle of wine and two glasses and the camera goes soft focus and bulls away.
Speaker 2: Look. I thought that, but I was never going to bring it up because if I was wrong, the optics are apocalyptically bad. There's a podcast with three women and Gus. Gus thinks they're lesbians.
Speaker 5: Bisexual had canceled.
Speaker 2: Now I've gone to.
Speaker 7: It always all right, Okay, my god, this is.
Speaker 6: Like Gus is like, just like he's Homer since sitting it out of here, because he's like, there's no way I will win.
Speaker 2: There's I've committed to that.
Speaker 7: I'm pretty sure the only person on this podcast now who has not been canceled me because.
Speaker 2: You canceled me during the podcast once.
Speaker 3: That wasn't cancelable and we told her to.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly, that's why I was like, I feel like they're implying heavily that there's a romantic involvement here, but I'm just not going to say it.
Speaker 7: I mean, I thought so. I said something about it. I was they're getting very close to each other's faces. You did, but I was like, nineties, they can't let me be happy you are?
Speaker 6: That is that is one hundred percent fair. That's one hundred percent fair and and and truly like you didn't see it because it was the nineties.
Speaker 2: Nineties. Yeah, when she reached out for her I was like, are they sleeping in the simp?
Speaker 6: I was waiting for you to scream in that moment, waiting you can't go back and watch it because.
Speaker 3: In the same bat as girlfriends all the time, and.
Speaker 6: She one reached out to the silk sat in sheets and be like, is someone.
Speaker 2: That we're wearing silk pajamas? I was a little bit like, that's why because in the episode I said, oh, silk pajamas. Huh you did? We were watching? I was like, am I picking up on something? And neither of you gave me a fucking inch. It was a bad Eyelashuly, yeah, gos, it's pajamas. That's what people do when they have sleeperms that wear pajamas.
Speaker 6: I was like, Okay, I guess I didn't say they were gonna do each other's nails, and they didn't say that.
Speaker 5: I didn't say that at all. I kept laughing because I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 1: I was like, why aren't they they're girls in pajamas in a bed well boom.
Speaker 6: I love so much about this, though, I have to jump in because Jenny and I are, like, with that question, a tiny bit older than the two of you. So we were in the nineties and we so for Jenny and I experiencing this firsthand, like okay, and also, as I just said, full disclosure, I'm pretty sure this was the first episode I saw. So I came into this show thinking that Evanna Va and Talia had had a relationship prior to this, and when I when when we started watching this again, I kept being like, what are they going to wait? And then finally Jenny and I talked about it and She's like, no, no, they never showed anything on screencaus as the nineties, and I was like, I just thought I'd missed it.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's but like they show, they show like they have meals together.
Speaker 5: They definitely flirt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure when they got really close in the room and I thought we both thought they were going to kiss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but like in previous episodes, there's definitely flirting. There's also a moment where where Wayoun says to her Tylie Winters was very loud in your mind.
Speaker 2: I remember that too, and I remember going really.
Speaker 6: Yeah, which is why all the Garibali stuff confused me because I was like, huh. But but I also want to say, so Jenny and I watched this in the nineties, where I mean, truthfully, like there was a very progressive movement at the time, and I think probably both you and I were pretty conscious of progressive media and that it wasn't like there still wasn't much, but there was like we were starting to lean that way a little bit more so for me, it was like the fact that they didn't anything, it was just like they showed it. Like I feel like they showed a very obvious relationship, because that's as obvious it was good. I mean, this is what ninety five, So this is this is like two years before, which is I looked at the date because I was like, I'm trying to confirm that this is probably the first one I watched.
Speaker 5: Two years before Puppy and it's two years before.
Speaker 6: It's like two years before even like the movie In and Out, like which was one of the first the.
Speaker 1: Puppy episode, The Puppy episode of Ellen Jenness is the episode she came.
Speaker 6: Right right with Lord darn and so yeah, so I'm like, you know, I mean to me and at that point too, like Ellen hadn't come out in her show, but her show was actually on the air and everybody knew she was gay, so like, you know, even though they didn't talk about it. So for me, in a sense, like this was really forward and very obvious. But I see that someone who grew up knowing that we weren't talking about it in the nineties and weren't showing it in the nineties and probably weren't even discussing it much in the nineties. Would look at this today and be like, there's nothing there there. Let me know what.
Speaker 5: I know what you're about to bring up?
Speaker 2: I bet you probably do. There's two different things that would bring up. One of them you definitely thinking of. One of them is are you thinking of Deep Space nine? Are you thinking we have time?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 5: Deep Space nine two weeks.
Speaker 2: Later, two weeks later on Space nine. The reason why I was like, okay, if they were doing this, they would do it explicitly is because on Deep Space nine jed Zia Dax, who the character's gender is complicated because of but there's a what is functionally for the purposes Trump, Jesus, thank you. Functionally for the purposes of what is media consumption? Is there's two girls kiss on that show. And I was like, okay, well, because I was going in the nineties and Buffy did this too, didn't it where I was.
Speaker 5: Like okay, It was like five.
Speaker 2: Years later, okay, but I was like, okay, Deep Space nine did this and they showed it. And also the other reason why I didn't, I'm not by the way. To be very clear, I love the way this was done is really nice when I allow myself to I was looking at it through that lens the whole time, but I was like, surely I'm projecting twen twenty six onto this show right now. But when I also think of the other franchise that we all have in common, that we all talk about all the time, and it is directed right now, which is The Wheel of Time. The Wheel of Time, which is also a media franchise that came out in the nineties, has two characters who are the gayest characters in the world. They are so fucking gay for each other, and the author is just like, they're such good friends. This is what women friendship is like, this is what female friendship is. Like you get ked and like do all this. I'm like, they're very gay. They're extremely gay. So the reason why I was kind of like, I don't want to. I don't want to just the reason why I was I I want to commit to bringing this up of the podcast because I was just like, oh, there's a lot of precedent for this not being the way that men in particular right media in the nineties, and so that yeah, I'm thrilled. I'm very happy to be wrong.
Speaker 1: This is specifically canonical. GM is very much confirmed it at the time. Yeah, I want to uh. I have heard people say that they prefer the way it happened on because India sign they actually kiss like there's a full I will tell you myself, I prefer.
Speaker 5: The Babylon five.
Speaker 2: This is yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The d S nine one involves so much narrative gymnastics to get the girls to kiss, like it's not no, no, no, it's not jad Za and this woman in love. It's when they were a man, so she's in love with the Yeah, it's not it's not two women kissing.
Speaker 6: It's like it's the man inside the women's soul. Yeah, the man is doing the kissing.
Speaker 5: And it's very Rick Bermany because Rick Berman was a homophobic.
Speaker 1: And so it's like he's put all this stuff around it like I'm gonna put all this stuff around to get the hot ladies to kiss so you can be turned on by it. But it's not kay whereas this we don't actually see them kiss, but it literally was just two women falling in And this is also much more.
Speaker 6: This is also one month after Zena Warrior Princess started airing.
Speaker 1: Yes, started airing, so there was it was not like even lesbian subtext at that point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I mean it was obviously written before that started airing, and probably JMS wasn't aware of it, but it was definitely like it was deep in the guys at the time. I mean people were like, yeah, we just need to fucking get past it and see it. And you know, like we said, like we're a couple of years out from Ellen and and yet of course that destroyed her career in that moment as well. So there's all of that that like people weren't ready for it, I guess because that's stupid. Yeah, I mean like everybody was mostly footing around it and it was fucking ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Yes, And the JMS speaks, you see him getting a little angry because he prior to this had been getting a lot of letters and emails and stuff from concern, like from Christians being like, thank you so much for being tolerant of our faith. We know like you're an atheist, thank you so much for being tolerant of us. Thank you, thank you, thank you. And then the second he did this, they were like stop it, stop it, and he was like exactly, He's like, I'm an atheist and I wrote positively about religious people and you were grateful. I'm straight and I write a show about gay and now you're ang like Picolane like.
Speaker 5: He was so mad about it.
Speaker 1: He wrote like long, long, expansive angry responses to that, like you want me to be tolerant about you but not.
Speaker 5: About other peo and fuck off. But he didn't say it. He said it much more at length than that good friend.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but he was clear about it. And and and the characters also felt that way. I mean like they were they were playing it that truth, they were playing that truth. They weren't they weren't playing the fake truth of this is actually a man in my soul and were not really attracted to each other like they were playing.
Speaker 1: It was great, It was great, It's entire According to Claudia Christian and I don't know this is from her autobiography, but according to her, this was her idea where like we talked about this in the Gray Council, where like they she went to uh, I guess JMS, but she said she approached them and saying when they brought in an X for me.
Speaker 5: I became afraid that was going to be.
Speaker 1: My entire storyline, that every time they wanted an Evanava story they would bring in an X. And she was like, I don't want that to be my story. She's a professional, and if if you're gonna have her in a relationship, I'd rather have her in a relationship with And she said it.
Speaker 5: Like this, I don't know an alien or a woman.
Speaker 1: And she saw like the lights in their eyes go okay, we'll do that then, And so yeah.
Speaker 6: He was, you know, to say too. The JMS like in the Future, really confirmed that that was thing. But I don't think he was concurrent. He kind of doesn't. He kind of dance around it a little bit at the time.
Speaker 1: In the JMS speaks, I don't know when these these emails would have come to him, but people at the time were not they We're sure he and so he was responding to them in the like, fuck off, you liked it when I had good Christian people. Now you're angry when I have a character that you like you slept with a woman.
Speaker 6: Right right. So, But even like in JMS speaks here he does say he's like when Talia wakes up in Evanava's bed, finding her missing. It's tempting to jump to the obvious conclusion. However, we know that Avanav's quarters only has one caught, and of course Ivanava probably had a sofa couch that might have been used. So he's kind of.
Speaker 5: Dancing around of the all that except he does.
Speaker 1: There's another one who says, and I'm going to disagree with him on this one, but I can't because it's his story. But I'd still disagree with him. He said, Susan and Talia have been dancing around one another for months. That night, though, would have been the first time they got physically.
Speaker 6: Wait is that in this is that here too? That I missed this? I was reading that was not M speaks. I was reading the wrong section that talks about the obvious conclusion.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this person was like, well, we can't be sure.
Speaker 6: Gay, thank you. I was in the wrong section. I was like, wait, why is he saying this? Okay?
Speaker 7: Good?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, ok.
Speaker 3: Relationship is I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: I'm kidding because you guys, Joy, that's good. Never talk?
Speaker 3: Are you correcting the bill?
Speaker 2: I've never got for the rest of my life. I live in the shirt now. I live in the shirt.
Speaker 6: Now, no, don't live in the jar.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what we should have been.
Speaker 7: We should have known because Talia has one of the most bisexual voices voice.
Speaker 3: It was actually really.
Speaker 7: Funny because I was like, I was talking to my friend Tay, who is also bisexual last night. We're talking about the by energy so one has, and I was like, what is it about by people that they're just.
Speaker 3: So hot? I was like, it's it's it's this energy.
Speaker 7: It's this extra energy where you're like, oh, there's like there's like an extra thing going on and you just know it. And you're like, oh, there's like there's like it's like you've got like a fun little secret all the time. You're just like walking around. You're just like you don't know anything about me. I could kiss anybody at any time, Like you know, there's just like a vibe. And I was like, what is it? I was like bye, I was like, hey, or by people just like cooler than everyone. So that's what bisexuals talk about when no one else is bisexuals are really cool.
Speaker 1: That was one time when you commented on how you identified with the husky blonde woman with empathy and Jen and I in the breakouts were like the husky by woman with and empathy.
Speaker 5: By God, we were like, yeah.
Speaker 3: So I really identify with her that.
Speaker 7: And you know what, much like Talia, I too have one of the most bisexual voices you've ever heard in your life.
Speaker 5: Speaking of coming out.
Speaker 1: I again, I feel like an idiot. I don't know that I've noticed this before. It's just like the blessing I guess of going through the episode episodes likes and breaking them down and thinking about this like this. But in the episode where it is officially confirmed that Ivanova is sleeping with the woman and is bisexual, she has an extended coming out scene. It feels incredibly familiar as somebody who has had to come out.
Speaker 3: Who aimes extensive coming out scene.
Speaker 6: I mean about her coming out scene, about about her being a late and telepath, but it's it is written like a coming out scene.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's very much like a coming out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah. And Jenny, oh my god, I just realized in the Lurkers guide, like, you know, there's a little diagram in the middle of it. I thought I thought that was the end. That's how I missed him talking about it, there's entirely I was like, it's pretty long. Oh no, oh no, it keeps.
Speaker 5: Going, goes on and on. Yeah, one goes on for a while.
Speaker 1: So okay, now that we've done that, and I'm sorry, Like I said, I normally don't want to steer you into Facebook, steer.
Speaker 2: Whatever you want whatever.
Speaker 3: That was appropriate.
Speaker 2: That was very important, and that was something that apparently both of us were like surely not like.
Speaker 7: I was just like the nineties, like you know, women were roommates.
Speaker 6: Honestly, your your experience is similar to what mine was often in the nineties, which is I would get really excited because I felt like maybe something was actually going to represent that, and then it didn't, and then someone and like wrote the cannon away from it so that it was like oh no, no no, like like the like the dad stuff. And so in a sense, I get like, you're you're just your choice of being self preserving, like because you're like it's the nineties, they're not gonna they're not actually gonna like let that be real, it's fair. But what I think, you know, like, yeah.
Speaker 3: Queer representation is so rough.
Speaker 7: I think that I have a history of just like looking for queerness where there isn't any a lot of the time, or like like inserting queerness.
Speaker 5: That was the experience in the nineties right general.
Speaker 7: And so I was just like, oh, I'm doing that thing again where I'm inserting queerness where there is none, because I just like like that, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like queerness. What can I say? So I was just like, I think it's neat.
Speaker 2: Have you read the Haunting of Hill House? Any of you?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 5: No, I don't do well with horror.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely zero relation to the Mike Flannagan show, which is great, but like absolutely fucking nothing could comment at all. But it as the most obvious fucking gay women relationship in it that ever. I think it was written in like the what like the fifties or something, and there's these two this one of the women who was there is like, yeah, you know this my good friend inherited a house and I had been kind of working for her with her, and she had me move in and then I just kind of stayed around. They thought she was going to get married, but she didn't, and so then you know, I just stayed living with her for a while and then we had a big fight. You know, twenty years in and so I figured i'd take a little time away. And now I'm here and I'm like, oh, so you were functionally just yeay, yeah you didn't say it. The book is so gay and that was great. Also scary, but not scary, not scary in like a like a like a like a homophobia way, just scary.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I get canceled if by blink the wrong way. Right now, so nobody's canceled.
Speaker 3: Everyone's canceled except for Jen. That's what you decided.
Speaker 6: Thanks, Yes, it will happen.
Speaker 3: Watch yourself.
Speaker 1: Now that we've i think plumbed the depths of that, do you wanted to actually talk.
Speaker 3: About a turn of phrase?
Speaker 2: Dude, Talia is dead man. That sucks bisexual.
Speaker 3: We're going to fix it. We're going to fix it.
Speaker 7: We're going to fix it. I don't know how, but we're going to fix it. Susan will be on that like buys on hot women. Never get in the way of a bisexual and her emotional support.
Speaker 3: Hot woman never.
Speaker 7: That's gonna be the biggest mistake they've ever made. She's going to figure out a way. She's a late and telepath. She's got the technology we're gonna make it up.
Speaker 2: This was bananas. Well, by the way, lead us back everybody for a minute. Anyways, Yeah, you.
Speaker 5: Got really excited.
Speaker 6: Who wrote the spot?
Speaker 3: How did you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Sorry, I was just it was jam okay, yes.
Speaker 2: Directed, it was it was it a later Jim Johnson bit is Trevino.
Speaker 6: I think he directed again?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. The the thing I screamed about the beginning, it said guest star Patricia Tolman. Is that her name? Patricia Tollman is lead Alexander and the one what? And then you were.
Speaker 7: Looking away At the time, I wasn't paying attention at all, but that was that was a fun reveal.
Speaker 2: I hope you go back again.
Speaker 5: I will say.
Speaker 1: Also, yes, that's another thing, because I told you this before, I didn't see the pilot.
Speaker 5: So this was another one of those episodes where're like, oh, they made up a flashback because.
Speaker 2: They just really funny.
Speaker 1: I had no idea it was. No, that's actually a thing that happen, And in the show it's just like, all right, that's amazing making up flashbacks.
Speaker 5: Cool.
Speaker 2: A lot going on, man, When Leita's showing up hanging out being on the run from Mars more Mars Mars continuing to be very very important. Tali is dead for now at least we're bringing her back, No way, BLib blue blah blah blue blue blab Caush is just getting his suit out, getting his lights out, just whipping it out, man and everybody.
Speaker 1: There were two cash scenes in this episode. There was one that was a flashback and then one that was like a current one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what are they gonna what? Are they a serial flasher Italian? They remembering how cash did they gotcha? Trauma on her? So like, what are they gonna do now? I don't like the ramifications. Are they just going to put her in some kind of like trauma loop lockdown? That would be deeply uncomfortable? Okay, but we also just exterminated the markab last episode, so whatever.
Speaker 6: Not steering away from comfort, No, he's very much not.
Speaker 5: And yeah, yeah, flashed out of his suit and was a ring light.
Speaker 2: Apparently it was a ring light because it was standard definition television.
Speaker 6: He's like, girlfriend, you just need me naked, here go, here go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's pretty much. She's like, please, dudes, please.
Speaker 2: If I bring you, if I fill your water bottle, you show me your boots.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly right, exactly what it was.
Speaker 10: Oh my god. I tried to think if there's anything else to talk about in this.
Speaker 6: One, He's like, is canceled now it's the boobs whatever.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, out of pocket ship, what either could you leave? So, okay, here's something. Here's something. Vanda Do Man episode Zanda Do Man episode Alpha did was Talia's thing? Alpha sixty sixth data whatever did? Was there a way to determine that?
Speaker 5: Literally?
Speaker 1: I don't know, because Gus I have never paid attention to it is granular detail.
Speaker 2: As I have this time, I gotta go back and I got to watch through and see if Talia ever said Alpha six sixth day to three. Okay, here's the I.
Speaker 5: Don't know, but she was control at that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes it. Here's a funny thing. Control advised that they kill Talia Winters that.
Speaker 5: Okay, that is another thing. He goes over a lot in the thing.
Speaker 1: Apparently it wasn't control, it was whatever Bureau thirteen okay, and yeah, so and the personality control and whatever it is is self preservation is it's ultimate goal. So it could have adapted the command to preserve herself because it's unlikely that whoever was giving the command knew who they were giving the command.
Speaker 2: Right, okay, okay, okay, okay, right, okay.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so it's people, because people definitely ask that.
Speaker 6: Oh you do you want to read that one? Or does it not matter? Sure, there's nothing in it. There's nothing in that if Talia was in. The question was if Talia was control inspider in the web, why would she order herself eliminated? My sense, and this is a response, My sense was that I think this is the gymis speaks. It's so damn long, I can't even tell what section I meant.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 6: My sense was that the control part, which sometimes moved at night, reported that the mission could be jeopardized. Then B thirteen gave the order to eliminate. No where does it say that control said the second half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see, all right, that makes sense.
Speaker 6: It's this also says control was referred to as he and he as His response is you always refer to agents in the single heat form to avoid giving away identities. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Speaker 5: Yes, he was quite I read about that.
Speaker 7: He was like, it was affer until I realized they didn't want to give him a plot.
Speaker 1: Yes, one other thing, just because I think some people got in the weeds in this, and he gave a really cool metaphor for what he's doing.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to find here.
Speaker 1: One of his friends is Harlan Ellison, who was like a very famous author that he is a consultant on the show. And apparently I'm trying to find it but I can't. But apparently Harlan used to like to do this performance art thing where he would go to cafes or bookstores and write a book, like write several chapters while people watched, and he would like, as he finished a page, he would tape it up to the wall and keep writing.
Speaker 5: And the point was that he could never go back.
Speaker 2: Oh, he had to only write forward.
Speaker 1: Right, And so in the stuff back he might have changed. He changed his mind on like page twelve about something that he'd written on page stupid. He can't go back, he can't go back and fix it. And Jamie says, that's pretty much what I'm doing. It's with the show, Like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he says, wait, is this the place where it is? He's said absolutely nothing from prior seasons or episodes has been discarded and then he says, well, no, that's not where he says the thing about going back, Damn, I read the brown part again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's just like the idea is that, you know, even if I want to alter things, I have to find a way to do it.
Speaker 2: I can't go back, Yeah, commit to what I already wrote.
Speaker 1: I have to commit to what I wrote, because that's like when you're writing shows. This is not the same as sitting down and writing an entire season at once. He's writing them as they're airing, right.
Speaker 2: So because it is also go ahead, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: Oh well, I just I did find it. So you're talking about Harlan and Allison and then talking about high taped to the wall. He says, that's pretty much what I'm doing here. It's an ongoing story. I can't go back. I can only go forward. As each page or episode is finished, it's put up on the wall and I have to go on to the next one. So far, I've written twenty four hundred pages on that wall. Again, I can't go back and change anything. If there's a bump caused by a real world incident, it simply has to be accommodated as best I can will still going forward where I have to go. I think he's referring to Sheridan's clearing. He says, from time to time, there's going to be a misstroke on the keyboard, or there's going to be a typo that I'll miss. That's inevitable when you're out performing in front of a massive crowd on the high wire without a net. As long as the totality of it all hangs together, as long as the story is told, the trick finally done, then that's what fundamentally matters. Yeah, it's cool, it's really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. Yeah, it's just a few things that I'm mulling over ramifications from earlier. But a lot of them are probably I'm thinking too hard about it, so I won't.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I'm curious always as to what you're thinking too hard about, but okay.
Speaker 2: Well, one of them is Jason Ironheart was like a P seven million, right, something like that. Yeah, it's odd that he was not cognizant of this.
Speaker 1: That is also addressed in the larger yes you are you understand that this is a show watched and loved by nerds.
Speaker 5: Hold on, not Jason going to be Ironheart, I.
Speaker 2: Told me to just make you guys popcorn through the Lurkers guide. I'm just thinking, saw the ass.
Speaker 1: Couldn't iron Heart have removed control? Was Talia the original personality? Since control was the construct the alternate personality was dormant at the time that Ironheart was there, so sure it wasn't primarily there. And then this is the part. Remember that iron Heart was not seeing Talia under the best of conditions. He was fighting hard not to use his abilities for any reason because it created mind quicks He was pulling everything in and later he was shot. So not exactly in a good position to be like, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah he was. He was highly stressed and evolving into a new type of.
Speaker 2: Turning into his starchild. Yeah, it's a shame that he gave her telekinesis because now she fuckings socks. For now, Yeah, for.
Speaker 3: Now, we're going to fix it. I'm in denial, vehement, vehement denial. Okay, I am in say I'm in Egypt because I'm in denial.
Speaker 5: So do you have any questions? You're thinking too hard about that?
Speaker 1: Perhaps jam has answered, because you were not the only nerd he was thinking about.
Speaker 5: The check.
Speaker 2: There was the one that I mentioned between recordings, but that was based on something that you told us at the end of season one that it was not explicitly we talked about.
Speaker 7: Can we talk about that, I now have hope Takashima returns, or no, can we not talk about I think returns.
Speaker 2: You told us that Takashima was originally supposed to shoot Garibaldi, and I don't think Takashima was an ass. Was Takashima supposed to be this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, literally quoting quoting jas Yes, Laurel would have been control.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's literally, it's like literally seventeen paragraphs. Now, there's like seven pair wraps about that in this, in this wanted to be controlled.
Speaker 3: I have hope now that she's returned.
Speaker 2: She was supposed to be because she punched in the code and the things coming.
Speaker 6: And Evanava was supposed to be sort of Takashima's second in command, like like the guy who came to and he said you're doing a great job and then he sent him away, Like yeah, yeah, so that would have been Evanah and Takashima would have been controlled and pulled away.
Speaker 3: I'm very excited.
Speaker 6: He also says this, but he also says this thing about like Talia, and he says, like from the first, from the second, from the first episode, after the pilot, he knew it was already like he was like, I'm putting Talia in that position. And he was like, if you go back, I can't find this one, Jenny. But he says, if you go back and look at a lot of the shots of Talia, she's looking in a mirror or they're in a mirror.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I will point out that was a big thing with with the cash trauma syne. He said, she asked what was on that crystal? He said, reflections, right, So.
Speaker 3: We're going to fix it.
Speaker 2: Wesh. Some maybe they got like a backup of her personality. Somehow, I doubt it. You can't put a whole personality to data, cres.
Speaker 3: How do you know, have we tried.
Speaker 2: I just don't think Gilbert Godfried is capable of that. I think Cosh could do that, but I'm not sure that Gilbert Godfried and his hat or capable of that.
Speaker 3: I think he can fix her. Maybe he just needs to flash her one.
Speaker 5: Time, show her his boobs.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 3: So the healing power of boobs.
Speaker 1: The healing power we make one of our general make one of ours two cash heads right at the boob placed on it.
Speaker 6: With inter nipples right in the middle.
Speaker 5: You are in charge of the T shirt making.
Speaker 6: That one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're gonna have soon.
Speaker 3: The best the fast shirts.
Speaker 2: There's something that we could talk about, goes, I don't know who I am? And then we flash into the dreamland with do you know who I am?
Speaker 1: Which is actually when yeah, incidentally Italian, I'm sorry, no, I was, yes, but when that dream happened, you actually made the theory that maybe she's a latent telepath, and that was what that's that's what that was.
Speaker 5: That's literally what that scene in the dream was.
Speaker 3: You are laughed at me.
Speaker 6: You ever that you say that every week, You're.
Speaker 7: Laughing right down you just because.
Speaker 5: It's the romantic face touching you learned in marriage.
Speaker 6: Is I'm romantically face touching myself here?
Speaker 5: Hey, no, no, no, no, we don't do that in public.
Speaker 6: Okay, Actually I was romantically I was romantically kissing my cat. I apologize for the kizzie sounds if you watched the last I was.
Speaker 5: Just about to make a very very dirty and I'm just so happy to.
Speaker 7: Receiving that love that cat was the happiest cat in the world, so delightful.
Speaker 5: I want to make a lesbian joke, and I'm gonna let.
Speaker 6: That one, but we're not talking about my cat.
Speaker 1: Stop saying okay anyway, okay, so let's see. But yeah, that's what that was the crow as yet, not necessarily I.
Speaker 3: Decided what that was that was, didn't I?
Speaker 2: You did? What was it for the shadows shadow stuff, which would make sense because she's suppressing her. So that was what the dream was meant to be, was that she was latent telepathic.
Speaker 5: That's what that.
Speaker 2: Now I got to think about the rest of the ship, the man in the between, I.
Speaker 7: Already have, I've already created an entire you all laughed at me that whole time.
Speaker 5: We're never.
Speaker 7: I wanted to move on, and now look at you, you all eating crow right now.
Speaker 5: It wasn't a crow. It was a raven. It was a raven.
Speaker 1: But yes, eating crow, that's what that was, eating ravens. So okay, but yeah, that's what that was, very nice.
Speaker 6: Right here.
Speaker 3: But yeah, because then there was also wait, who else was in the dream?
Speaker 7: Garibaldi and Cash and he had the doll on his shoulder.
Speaker 2: A dove and he said the man was man.
Speaker 5: In between between is looking for you.
Speaker 3: The man in between, well, could be job.
Speaker 2: I can't do this again right now? What am I telling?
Speaker 7: The man in between could be the shadow people, could be Jeff could be Jeff could be, could be.
Speaker 2: A man in between because he's got a he's got a Minbari soul.
Speaker 5: Mhm okay.
Speaker 6: Ostensibly episode with Nolando and Jakar and I didn't miss them until.
Speaker 2: Didn't mind it all? Man, listen, you get this much Talia Winters. Oh, I'm sorry. Can we take a second talk about Talia Winter's villain edition. Uh, I'm surprised that all of everybody else got through that unscathed because I thought that was that was that was pretty great. Yeah, yeah, that was pretty great. You had a white You don't want to talk about hot villains, Talia Winter.
Speaker 3: Of course I do. I just am. Also, there's there's puzzles for me.
Speaker 2: I was talking about bisexual villains.
Speaker 3: But if I started a rumination, I will not stop.
Speaker 2: Ever going to happen. So I'm never going to come back to sexual villain.
Speaker 3: No, I do love her. Bisexual villain.
Speaker 2: Queer do crime that is j M. For this episode, is that.
Speaker 6: Actually that is definitely a crime.
Speaker 5: Crimes. I think it's just like random vandalism that it came up.
Speaker 2: Talia Winters do bisexuality and also crimes. It is really quite unsettling to think that the control was like, I'm going to seduce Evanova or help to seduce Evanava. That's quite upsetting.
Speaker 7: Bisexual path with a with a deep voice. I was like, I think I should sue.
Speaker 6: I think I think idly, I think villain. I think that this is my canon that I have written, is that is that that villain Talia is just so bad that she would say that just a hurt Evanova because she doesn't. It was very much to know that, like real Talia actually had feelings, actually had feelings, and so she's just making she did.
Speaker 2: I know she did, but I'm I'm. The thing that I think is yucky about it is the villain Talia control. Talia could then be like and I'm going to push that even harder.
Speaker 5: Exactly, Yeah, she's just cruel.
Speaker 2: Exactly mean, she's just an evil, shitty, fucking god fuck py corps man. Why did I ever say that.
Speaker 3: I support women's rights and women's wrong suck Pye Corp.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, yes, Charlie, sorry, that was a Charlie quote. Yes, Okay, so we've gotten over that. We've gone over uh basically Talia's character assassination, her betrayal Lyda Uh.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: We've talked about Lida returning and going to see Cash. She's been trying to get into Vorlan space this whole time.
Speaker 2: A lot of people have been that's come up before. At least one other person has talked about trying to get into morel On space.
Speaker 6: It does feel a little bit like she's kind of got a little bit of an addiction going on. She's like, I need more.
Speaker 2: Away.
Speaker 3: Did you feel a little addiction coded?
Speaker 7: And I was like, I mean bisexuals do love booths as she gives neurotic bisexual like, let's be honest.
Speaker 2: Glad she's here.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, I hope she comes back.
Speaker 7: There is a specific brand of bisexual that are neurotic bisexuals.
Speaker 3: Tell me I'm wrong.
Speaker 5: I mean, no, I'm not.
Speaker 6: We haven't brought there is one other sort of thing that we haven't brought up though.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 6: Delenn All the and my my niece Saviana says, but but tea about people's butts. That makes me giggle.
Speaker 1: I just I also ump that you have a niece named Fantastic. I have a poster of Abenda somewhere on my wall.
Speaker 2: But everything, everything that is happening with the the the very very very slow kindling of whatever that is. I'm never going to assume anybody is romantically involved over again, because I'm gonna get it wrong someday. The very slow kindling of romance between Delenn and Sheridan makes me.
Speaker 3: They're definitely into each other, definitely.
Speaker 2: I will have gone nowhere. We'll see more cherry tomatoes any day now.
Speaker 3: But that one makes ver semon.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: I'm okay, you guys just talk amongst yourself. I'm sending jennadon.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, hey, Ali, how do you feel about bisexual villain era.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: I love bisexual villain area. Sad about Talia being potentially dead. They're having sneaky tip type conversation. I don't like anything that's happening right now, except that we might get information out of them and we might not.
Speaker 1: Okay, not yet, God damn it.
Speaker 6: That was deliciously fun to like do that in real time, and then.
Speaker 1: I know, have fun for whom me bullshit?
Speaker 2: Now you understand, Uh yeah, I love that, love that that's happening.
Speaker 5: I know it's so I just it was so cute.
Speaker 2: I'm going to guess you go you were done.
Speaker 1: I was just gonna say, if if if mirror Furlong was looking at me saying but but but.
Speaker 5: I might be a puddle. I think I would just on the floor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to guess what you two were typing to each other. You're going to guess Jenny said, can we tell them that the Jeff fruit thing goes nowhere yet? Or should we hold off? And Jen said, let's hold off a little while.
Speaker 6: I love how how how fifty of that is right? I'm going to tell you straight up, fifty percent of what you just said is right. The part where you said, Jen, can we tell them about and I said, no, let's wait that Literally.
Speaker 5: The first the sentence was word for word. It was a little weird.
Speaker 6: Ye, the second half of it may or may not have been right.
Speaker 2: Just just do me favorite pin that message in your discord chat so that when we eventually can learn, we can come back. If you don't, Jen can we tell them about Can we tell them about the.
Speaker 3: Fact that Delenn and Jeff are married.
Speaker 2: No, they're never going to give us anything ever. Again, they're typing again a keyboard.
Speaker 3: I hear it.
Speaker 6: I get here, I can type to I was right.
Speaker 7: I was right, has an issue because that issue is an issue.
Speaker 6: And also my discord said, Jenny is typing, and then it said and then it went away.
Speaker 5: That's what he.
Speaker 3: Called it out.
Speaker 2: How about least do we want to talk about least? We could do that. We are going to talk with each other.
Speaker 3: We have a new lease on life. Can we tell them?
Speaker 7: Can we there are just no you know what it is, guys, they're just mocking me for they're all laugh think of me.
Speaker 5: I was gonna edit this out of the podcast.
Speaker 6: You want. This is incredible for anybody listening. I wish you could see my face right now. Well, I'm left packeting, she's pagetting. I'm thinking she's taking I'm pincketting out of water. I'm dying here.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't have done that live, but I just I realized I had I had to ask you.
Speaker 2: Now, I willed to tell them Lida comes back.
Speaker 6: I mean, what can we tell them? Leda comes back. I'm sorry, I'm still reading back what Jenny wrote. Oh yeah, can.
Speaker 7: We tell them also comes.
Speaker 6: Correct for what we've done.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you getting the first part of this seconds down, it's amazing you.
Speaker 2: Got the first part is the worst day of my life. This was the best day earlier. That's good again.
Speaker 1: You know what this is. I am on behalf of Ali. This is revenge, yeah, yes.
Speaker 7: But I am also being affected ship I've read or watched some day. One of these days, I'm gonna have watched something you all haven't watched, and then we'll see. We'll see indeed, who's laughing at whom the table because you're all laughing.
Speaker 3: At me this whole time.
Speaker 6: We're just laughing around you.
Speaker 7: No, and I stay winning. I slay my enemies and my friends.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, that's fair.
Speaker 2: Uh, well, you know, a good episode. I'm very sad, but I'm also very happy.
Speaker 3: I'm very sad.
Speaker 2: I'm also very sad.
Speaker 7: And I'm angry with you all for making me sad on this lovely Monday evening.
Speaker 5: Well, there was girl kissing implied, girl kissing.
Speaker 3: Girl applied, Yeah, kissing, I suppose.
Speaker 6: And just so you know, They never actually did shoot the scene with them kissing and cut it. They just didn't shoot it because he decided that, like, we didn't need to actually shoot it.
Speaker 3: Cowards.
Speaker 5: Yeah, release tell you.
Speaker 2: That, release the makeup, bring back shall On. This is and for that do not. Can we tell them that shall Mayan was also canonically gay? That's what it was.
Speaker 5: That's totally entirely.
Speaker 3: Who is the.
Speaker 2: One's gay friend?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, the gay friend. I forgot about the gay friend.
Speaker 2: Grab what's happening?
Speaker 3: I'm tired.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's happening anymore.
Speaker 6: Did we just hold up my camera?
Speaker 2: What is going on? Holding things up the key? What is going on here?
Speaker 6: Do you want me? I think I know, I think I know what? What? What?
Speaker 5: Yea yea yea yeah yeah yeah, just to wait? Why would you show you what you're doing? This is from my convention.
Speaker 2: I just thought, Charlie, sorry for.
Speaker 5: The podcast listeners.
Speaker 1: This is Claudia Christian and Andrea Thompson at a convention kissing.
Speaker 11: Because that's so sweet. Yes, thank god, thank you for showing me that. We don't even need a I.
Speaker 5: No, I's gonna say, no need for that.
Speaker 1: Actually have ladies kiss each other that's perfectly fine.
Speaker 3: That's better, even much.
Speaker 5: Better, much better, much better. Okay, do I don't know that I have anything else to bring up. Apologies for the torture.
Speaker 2: We deserve that, we deserve that and more for the least thing.
Speaker 5: Yes, you're right, never mind, I take it all back.
Speaker 3: But we do.
Speaker 2: We tortured her for twenty minutes about least notably that same episode I mentioned, Yeah, the one that same time, I said, and you remembered Lida because you said you had to look up Takashima in the pilot, but you didn't have to.
Speaker 3: You're wrong because she's coming back.
Speaker 2: But also, Takashima's actress said, fuck this ship, I'm out, and Lda's actress said, I'm going to go to Jurassic Park.
Speaker 3: She would, so fuck the ship. I'm out.
Speaker 2: She said, I don't want to do uh. I don't want to be in a show about the military. You told us that I look anything up. You told us that I don't think I blocked Google.
Speaker 5: You are right, you are right. I'm trying to think. I'm going to tell you another sentence.
Speaker 1: Another thought from the Looker's guide here, because, as he said, Laura was supposed to be control, he said. Part of the reason he thought this would be good for h is it Tamra Timita, what's her name? I think Hamlin, thank you. She had a burgeoning film career, and he didn't think they would be able to keep her for the entire show anyway. So it's like this will be a way to you knows, because.
Speaker 5: You you rework things.
Speaker 6: He even says. He he says, when I took la off the board, he says, when I took Laura off the board, elements of this were transferred to other characters he's talking about with and then she was going to be a trader. Initially she was going to be the one to shoot Garibaldi. But then when she when she left the show, like things were, things were changed, but she wouldn't have been control.
Speaker 5: Just yeah, yeah, but that was the thought.
Speaker 2: It's just like, okay, this is well, this was great.
Speaker 5: I hated it, terrible. I'm having great.
Speaker 2: It's terrible, it's horrible. I'm having a wonderful time.
Speaker 5: Perfect, excellent, perfect, exactly where we watch.
Speaker 2: I can control the screen. Yes, everything is fine. This is the cannon ending. Yeah, yes, all right, Well with that, by.
Speaker 8: My friends, you have reached the most dangerous part of our journey, the Gray Council. Here we speak of things that must not be spoken, secrets, betrayals, spoilers. If you are not ready turned back now that if.
Speaker 2: You dare to proceed, I promise you it will be.
Speaker 4: Manificent, mister Garibaldi.
Speaker 1: So I know because people who are listening to this and it's listen to the Gray Council now.
Speaker 6: To some of her great Council stuff, go away exactly.
Speaker 1: I want to hear and know the question that I asked Jen, which was and I want to know your justification.
Speaker 6: For your answer, because I uh asked and then you asked me the second thing you explained why you asked me. But okay, so start with what you asked, and then.
Speaker 1: Why, yes, could we tell should we tell them about the original plan for Delenne now, which was to have her transition from male to female? And then I said, the reason I didn't want to tell them is because of the reason that immediately happened when Delenne came out and was hot, was that she would predict that Delenne and Sheridan were supposed to be together if she knew that they transitioned. She almost predicted it, but she was so into the Jeff thing, but I think if we told her the transition plan, it would have made her more on high alert for yes, Jeff shared or Sheridan.
Speaker 6: De Lenne yes. And here's I had two reasons for saying no, let's not tell them yet. I love it like he literally read word for what we said, because I said no, let's wait. Two reasons for waiting. The first is a shallow reason. The second is a deep reason. The first reason for waiting was just that, in part because there was so much in this and I wanted to be able to like really stay focused on on both both the like Talia getting you know, being finding out she's a sleeper agent, but also the Talia Evanava of it all. And I was like, let's just stay on that and keep that focus in their relationship. I mean, I'm the one who brought up like, let's not forget to talk about Sheridan delen But the second reason is that when the Sheridan de Lenz stuff was happening, they still kept saying, but what about Saint Claire? What about are is she married? And I'm not ready to say no, that doesn't actually, nothing ever ever comes to that and then and so I was like, I'm not going ready to say that because they keep bringing it up. And they even brought it up when they asked what we were talking about, did.
Speaker 5: Right? They're so right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm wonder, like we want to bring it up then until Jeff is like said back in time.
Speaker 6: Well, I wonder. And then there's because there's also like when when his wife shows up, and so I yeah, but that's yeah, that's true, I know, which is not for a while. But so I'm kind of like, when do we because I really do I want to go back. But Gus just popped us off. He put a picture of Delenn in our group chat, didn't he? Or maybe it was in the maybe it was on the like a picture of de Len from the pilot when she looks like a man.
Speaker 5: Oh he put yeah a while ago there in the group.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it wasn't, but it was long ago. And so I was like, you know, I do I really want to tell them about that because I just it's so interesting to me and I think it's really fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like I know people like that was another thing that I had to be on high alerts in the comments for because so many people mentioned it. I was leading it, and like I said, the reason I was deleting it was for the same reason that like it's yeah, when the second de Lene came out looking hot, that was, Oh, they made her hot so she can get together, and like, yeah, that the same reason. I'm just keeping that away from Ali. Yeah, well I've got just Ali. Although she's not been on her game for shipping this season, she's interesting.
Speaker 6: Okay, so I should I do want to say, And this isn't something we don't we've talked about, not in front of them, but in a way it's relevant because yeah, like me in the nineties as a progressive feminist, like was seeing it where it was I mean it was gear. Yeah, And like I said, I have been waiting like the whole scene when you and I talked to and I was like, what, they never actually kissed because I remembered them kissing because I saw this scene as as a kiss. And also I was like they must have had stuff before this that I didn't see because this is where I came in the show. So so like I just remembered that. I in my head, I saw them kiss like I remember a kiss. And so when we talked about it, and I was like, they didn't actually ever kiss. That's hilarious. But again, like as a progressive woman in the nineties, a progressive feminist in the nineties, like I heard it and saw it where it was implied and I heard it and saw it like knowing it was real in a way that they have every reason to be like I don't want to project that on the nineties or assume like you know, and also protect like I do. Think there's a protection, yeah, like they don't want to be disappointed that that's not actually what it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I have that protection more now. I didn't have it in the nineties, where in the nineties was like everything I'm looking looking for gay everywhere and putting it in, inserting it, whereas now I'm like, if you don't tell me their relationship, I don't want it. I don't want to have to read between the lines for it, like just just fucking make them gay or like that. Yeah, Yeah, That's where I'm at at this point in my life. It was so obvious to me at the time. Like he does say in the Lookers Guide that they didn't film a kiss. Yeah, it looks like they did. And I know, obviously because he had to answer that question, I'm not the only one who was like, that's a weird cut, Like it really looks like you filmed the kiss.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And he says it was just a weird bumpy at it, and I'm like, well, yeah, I mean that's not that's not uncommon, especially on a shot like that, when you're going to be going, like so this show was probably shot. It's called single camera, but you always run a B camera on a show like this, So you have two cameras running simultaneously. The second one is just to maybe pick up second angles, but in general you pick up the other angles on a new take. So you have your main camera set like watching from behind Talia, and then you know, you come over here for this shot. Over here, you might have a B camera going that's going to just get something in case you need another angle. But you're really counting on those A cameras to be your shots, and it is very hard, especially in an intimate scene like that, to get it exactly right, to match it perfectly. And when somebody is actually in for a case, it's a lot easier to fake it because you're just their faces are together and they're obscured and it's easier to fake it. Yeah, but so I can see that they didn't actually shoot it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see that they didn't, but it's it's like, I know why I thought they did, and obviously I am not the only person because it does like it's a jumpy cut that looks like they cut.
Speaker 6: And we all would have expected the network to say no fucking way.
Speaker 5: Yes exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The other thing though, that we have to talk about, and it's sad.
Speaker 5: Is that no, she doesn't come back, like I know, and I said it.
Speaker 6: I said it in a way that sounds like I like did a straight up out lie to them, which I wasn't trying to do because I was trying to say I don't know. I heard myself say it, and then I was like, well, I can't fucking backtrack that because now then there'll be a dead giveaway that she's not coming back, right right, because I said whatever it was that I said, I was like, yeah, she'll be able to come back or something, or like she's like, you know, because she's still gonna be yeah, but she doesn't.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 1: Reading the Looker's Guide was very interesting because I like just the depth of it. At a certain point, something happens in the Lurkers Guide, because prior to that he was talking about it like she could come back, and bringing up, like they put it explicitly in this episode that scene from the previous one where Gosh that because I put it in here, I forgot that that was a flashback in this episode. I always saw that head canon that, but no, it's very plain, like this is meant to be here to show you that Kosh can bring her back, Like that's what that was, because otherwise, why show us that scene, Like it doesn't make any sense to show it otherwise. And he talks about that a lot in the Lurkers Guide, and then at some point and I do I guess, I just yeah, I don't know. I want to address it, but I could not find the original interview where Andrea Thompson said something.
Speaker 5: I tried.
Speaker 1: I could find like people referencing it, but I can't actually find the real interview. But she said something about choosing to leave the show because she was.
Speaker 5: Not getting enough enough screen time. She wanted enough screen time.
Speaker 1: I then he felt the need to address that in The Lurkers Guy, and it became much clearer after that point in The Lurkers Guy that she wasn't coming back. But yeah, yeah, I don't know. I want to address it in a certain way just because I know people have talked about that as if like she betrayed us or she was I don't know. I've heard people refer to it in very dismissive ways, and I just we don't know why.
Speaker 5: Like actors, I think that's the thing that people.
Speaker 1: Forget, and I've become more aware of it, especially paying attention to the whale of time as I did, but through the casting and whatnot. It's their job. It's literally their job, and if you choose to be an actor actors, most people for we have this thing in our mind that all actors are like Julia Roberts. They're all rich and they're not like most actors are working class and they're doing this. We see this, but like Gus and Ali and you, like, you do extra work in order to support this job that you really want to do.
Speaker 5: If you have a job that you really want to do.
Speaker 1: And you get there and they're not letting you do the job, You're going to find a job that lets you do the job. That you are literally sacrificing your life in order.
Speaker 6: To Tamlin Tomita. And if she had a burgeoning film career, if she had other stuff where she was going to get to be front center, of course you're going to take that because that's going to lead to something else, even bigger. Exactly, it's the same as Denise Crosby, Like she was this really cool, badass, short haired character kicking ass being head of security on TG, and then she stopped getting used. She just stopt getting used. They kept giving Riker opportunities to be super smarmy, and she just stood in the background and said yes, Captain, and like didn't have anything to do. And it was like, that's super unfulfilling as an actor. And you can be like, well, I fucking take your page. I can go home. It's like, but no, because I'm not even going to be able to use this show as a stepping stone exactly because I don't have I mean so few episodes.
Speaker 5: That's what it's like.
Speaker 1: I feel bad for the actor playing Warren Keffer, Like he's top a show credit, probably getting paid well, but he can't use this on his resume and he's locked into a show for a year and like he can't be like, oh, people will recognize me from this show and it's going to help me get other work.
Speaker 5: No, they're not. No, and they're not going to recognize you.
Speaker 6: I actually went back. I did this placeis and things we're talking about last week. I went back in reference because SICH has some like the contracts changed dramatically since the nineties. So here's the thing, Like when you say they're not making enough money to make a living, this is true. But they were and JMS does says this something. She had a fifteen She got paid for thirteen episodes. So like you can bring in a series regular, they have to be in at that time, they had to be in at least half the season. So you had to guarantee them thirteen episodes. If they weren't physically in them, you had to pay them. So they were getting paid. And at this time, this was not a network show, so a network show in the in the mid nineties, And I don't have the exact numbers for the mid nineties, but I am guessing that for if you were doing a primetime show on either ABC, NBC, or CBS, you were getting paid in ninety four I'm going to guess eighteen thousand dollars an episode as a series regular if you were doing a cable show, which this was considered network but it was broadcasts, but it wasn't it wasn't primetime broadcast, it was a secondary channel. They might have been making five thousand dollars an episode. I'm not even sure. It might have been a little bit more then. It is less now because of streaming and everything else, like, and there's so few things on. I mean, primetime is still big, but like there's just a few primetime shows, and so like I think, I think the oh well no, no, no, let's go back to ninety four The Friends. No, it would have been closer to twenty five because The Friends, right, I got twenty five thousand first season per episode, so you know, but that's because it was prime time NBC. So that's not what she was making on this, yeah, yeah, and not what Warren Keffer is making on the show. Same thing with him, Like, you know, he could have very easily just been like, I need to be moving my career forward, and we keep saying, where's Talia, Where's Tallia? War's Talia? You know, she just hasn't been, and it's interesting because it's not the JMS didn't like her, and he obviously wrote her to be this really cool character. I think he was writing it in a way to say, I want to make sure nobody sees it yet so.
Speaker 5: Well that I can't have.
Speaker 6: Right and I can't have her in every episode or people will know that she's going to be the sleeper.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: And also I think like he had plans for her later on where she would step forward and be prominent.
Speaker 5: Sorry, somebody's drilling above me. I don't know if you can hear it.
Speaker 1: I can yehning go away recording a podcast. But yeah, that, like is that thing that Ali says all the time. Two things can be true. I think that he is writing a story and he knows where it goes, and he has a fully the right tell the story that he wants to tell and to tell it the way he wants to tell it, and it's that is his that is well within his purview. But she as an actor who has a job, and this is her job that she's using to make a living, and she wants and like I said, the thing that people forget people who are choosing to be an actors, they're they're not getting most of them are getting rich off of it. So they are choosing to do a job that is actually going to get make them less money usually, and if it's not fulfilling, it's perfectly within her right to be like, I'm sorry, I'm going to go find a job that actually feels like like it's giving me what I want to do from this job. And I don't begrudge either of them for what happened. And I I just I've heard people talk about it in a really disrespectful and dismissive way, and I I would these are people.
Speaker 5: And this is their job, and I want them both to be.
Speaker 6: Respected and and and JMS is making it up and so therefore he can adjust as needed. But also, you know, this is coming out of his head. This isn't real life. This is what actually happened, you know, I mean, like, it's not a real world thing that happened that we're.
Speaker 5: Exactly exactly, yeah, exactly, yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think one of the things that's hard for him, like, you know, because he is the au tour of this show, but I think it's kind of hard for him to be like to understand that it might not be fulfilling for an actor because he's like, no, no, no, in season four, you're.
Speaker 5: Going to have an amazing arc.
Speaker 2: A.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And because he's not, he's also not telling them that, like he's not telling them what.
Speaker 6: Also, like this was this was also a time when it's strangely, I mean, we didn't have as much replacing. I mean you well, I was gonna say there was a big gap in that. Okay, didn't they replace Darren in Bewitched or was it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't remember what I think it was.
Speaker 6: Or was it or was it the guy and I dream of Jeanie? No, because that was JR. That was Larry Hagman. I think consistently it was Larry Hagman. But yeah, I think they replaced Darren and Bewitched. Anyway, there was definitely a time when they were like new actor, same human, same role, especially because it was a couple and they were married and like whatever you had to. But this was a time when you didn't have the Game of Thrones Dario of like you know, now new new Dario this week, and I'm like, he didn't even look like him. I'm so confused.
Speaker 1: They did it on soap operas all the time.
Speaker 6: Though that's true soaps, I mean constant soap, but you know, sometimes they'd have a horrible car accident and a reconstruct with surgery, and sometimes there's this new person. Yeah, soaps, you had to. But he was not. But JMS did not do that. He wasn't like, we'll just recast somebody as as Talia. He was like.
Speaker 1: The only person he did that with was Nata and that was because of you make up. And then he was just but then he was also like, I guess it doesn't work because everybody noticed.
Speaker 5: And then he just didn't ever in the show. I think he thought that nobody would notice, and everybody was like, uh huh, I know that you're talking about.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, yeah, I just wanted to address that just because anyway, but she does not come back, and I this is one of the things if we talk about, like people you know, constantly talk about a possible reboot and whatever. And I don't know I've ever said this to you. I know I've said it in my discord server, but my my dream reboot would not involve these characters. It would be the same story, but different characters. I don't know how to say that properly, but because I'm a character person and he's like me referlon is Dylan, and I don't want to see anybody else play the lite and I don't want to see anybody else like so man make other characters. But you can tell the same story with the single exception of Talio tears, because I feel like her story isn't finished. Yes, like her coming back. It doesn't have to be Talian Winters, I suppose, But the idea, it's the it's the Battlestar Galactica of it, of somebody being a trader and not knowing and then having to deal with that. That is such a rich and deep story that doesn't get told. And I yeah, and I mean obviously the girl kissing. I lesbian nerdy. Obviously I want more girl kissing in the show in a reboot, and then my dream reboot that happens one day possibly whatever.
Speaker 5: I want the girl kissing.
Speaker 1: But weirdly enough, people always think that's gonna be my priority, and it usually is, like on the list, but it's usually that the top of the list.
Speaker 5: The top of the list is I want to see Talia explore that story.
Speaker 6: Well, it's interesting because I have. I'm a little worried because Sally and Gus. Gus has seen all of BSG and Ali has seen some of it. But I'm a little bit worried because I know Ali doesn't know who all the Cylons are, right right, I'm a little worried that Gus, that they're going to expect. I mean, this is what's funny. When you were asking me, should we tell them? I wondered if you were going to say, she would tell them she doesn't come back, and it's too early to do that, but there is a little bit of that. I think it's done so well in BSG because when those sleeper agents wake up and they know that they're a Sleeper agent, they're devastated because they have not lost their real personality who hated Cylons and so now they're like, I hate who I am. And it's a really beautiful character story to watch. But Talia, it's interesting, and I wonder if his decision, knowing she was leaving the show to have it switch off completely, he came out of that, because if he had, it seems like JMS would be like, once she knows that she's a sleeper, how does she wrestle with that and his decision to have it be like a complete switch. I don't know, it might have been his decision from the very beginning. I just think that there's a lot of interesting story to tell if they if they retain both, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I because that would be It's deep to me.
Speaker 1: And I think the idea of bringing whatever it is that Cash gone on that Crystal would bring enough of a person out in my in my dream this is just me making shit up, but in my dream scenario, that would bring that in of her being like, oh I got used by cycles and right after like I'm starting to deconstruct that, right opinions.
Speaker 6: Aren't a waste of her, like her awakening last month, you know. And I'm like, but but she just came to see that they're being like give her a chance to live in that space, I know, and the double personality thing. Interestingly enough, so you know, I've I have been up and down a little hot and cold and conflicted as Starfleet Academy. I don't think I've said that on the podcast I've talked I told you about it person, because I didn't. I think I'm always I'm always I did say that about I get that how I hated I get at the beginning. Obviously, I think it's like the most perfect show ever made. Now, so I realized that often I'm like, it takes me some time to warm up, and I'm always like wanting to give a show the benefit of the doubt and stick with it, like through something. And so I had some a little couple of rough starts with Start Starfleet Academy. Watched the second to last episode last night. Was really hoping I was going to get into the lottery to go see the entire cast there this week. I think it's supposed to be tomorrow night, but I did not make it in the lottery might have been tonight. I'm really sad I didn't get to go. But but uh, last night's episode, which was directed by Jonathan Fraakes, who came in and like directed a really fucking awesome episode, deals with some like double personality and a character who like has has a personality basically has a restart of her personality and but has both now and has memories from both. And I thought they handled it really really beautifully in that particular episode. And then we'll see there's one more, so we'll see if tickets stress.
Speaker 5: I have not watched that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and that's not as I'm not spoiling anything because I'm not telling you who or why or how.
Speaker 5: Okay, Okay, I have no idea.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's It's the one storyline in this show that feels well, there might be more, but that's the one that I think of when I think of it's the it's the itch. It's the one itch that isn't scratched. It's just like, yeah, this could have been, could have been.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I want to. I want to. I'm down. We'll we'll create the the reboot, whether it's a future reboot, and it's Talia come back to like wrestle with those demons because they've been able to like undo it. I don't know, I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, Bester could be bullshitting, but Bester does say that they killed her later, he could be bull shitting. But yeah, there's a People get all up in arms when you talk about a reboot. But I just I think you can do it without these characters because I don't want to see them.
Speaker 5: I will.
Speaker 6: I agree. I mean, although I mean to say that that's I agree with you and I was not a huge huge I'm looking for him. I don't know where it is. I was not a huge Like I didn't watch the nineteen seventy the seventy eight Battlestar because I watched it. I knew it. I knew it well, I mean, I knew it, but it was like not Star Wars. To me. I was like so obsessed with stars, not Star Wars. And I think I may have told you, my my, my Millennium Falcon's right here, my my NAC gave me Millennium Falcon, but they gave me Battlestar Galactica figures to go with it. They pissed off. They didn't know any they didn't know any better, and I love them so much, and it.
Speaker 5: Is I would have been the same as a child. I would have been like, fucking right, what.
Speaker 6: It was like. My most one of my most treasured things that I own is my original Empire strikes Back Battlestar Millennium Falcon. And I love telling the story that I got Battlestar Galactica figures with it. I got yeah, anyway, Adama a Dama and the Little Red Guy. Anyway. That said, I loved the choice of rebooting it with Boomer as a girl, Starbuck as a woman, like you know, I mean like it's just like the really some really amazing choices that they did with the reboot that made.
Speaker 5: It like the original.
Speaker 6: But yeah, yeah, I mean you know, and I'm like, yeah, so anyway, and I'm a huge Haatch fan, so like bringing him back in the show but as a different character that was also really wonderful. So maybe they bring Andrea back as a different character.
Speaker 5: That could work. I still want that story told. I want the story.
Speaker 6: Oh, they they bring back both her and Claudia Christian and they actually kissed. But they're not those characters that.
Speaker 5: Could be other people too. Yes that's true.
Speaker 6: Who they are?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Okay.
Speaker 1: I don't uh let's see. I had notes, but I think they were just all about other lesbians. Yeah no, no, like I had the d S nine Eric, Yes I didn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't put Buffy but Buffy is much later. Yeah. Oh I had one other note. Just that's some tiniest little note.
Speaker 1: But when Lida called this is we could have said this in front of them because it's not that important. But when Lida calls the len the len Is recording like or sending a message about meetings with the Loumati. The Lumati were the species that did the weird sex thing with a vamp.
Speaker 6: Anyway, I love it, love it, Yes, love it.
Speaker 5: I don't think she was setting.
Speaker 1: I think she was like, we will maybe revisit something about negotiating or something like that.
Speaker 5: It was we know that species, so love it. I think that's I think that's it. This has been a long one.
Speaker 6: Sorry, Yeah, we all had a lot of well.
Speaker 5: Did I felt bad steering them into us.
Speaker 1: It's like we just finished if I did loyalties and they still didn't cotton on to the fact that.
Speaker 6: They I think we've been I've been like since the very first episode. I've just been like, I mean the first episode with Talia and of and there is Clow and I was like, yeah, obvious, obvious.
Speaker 1: Well I'm going to put you all to anybody listening to this, to my friend body his YouTube channel, just some body's opinion or some bod I is how he spelled his name. He after he watched the after he watched that episode, sent me a DM that said, so Evanova and Blonde later are going to lesbian it up?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: I was like, what.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to spoil him, so I just said something to the effective, you know better than to ask me for spoilers, and he.
Speaker 5: Was like, oh my god, they are.
Speaker 9: But hilarious YouTube channel because he's doing reactions of the show, and yeah, check that out, but don't tell him, don't spoil him because he's he's still.
Speaker 5: On season right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but yeah, I think we can end this chaotic I'm there and uh, yeah, So if you like this reaction, you can always or this podcast, I should say, you can check out the reaction. It's up on YouTube, and if you want to see the full unedited version of the reaction, you can always check out our patreon.
Speaker 5: And on Patreon you get early access.
Speaker 1: You get occasionally like a little behind the scene stuff because we sometimes record before we record.
Speaker 5: Does that make sense? I don't know if that makes sense sense to me. See what I mean?
Speaker 1: You join our Patreon and there's also a secret, super secret channel in discord that you can join, and we have super secret conversations and so don't tell anybody about it. And then also what else I can't remember early access on at free versions of this podcast do it all?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: And uh, yeah, like and subscribe, rate and review and babble on