Speaker 1: Imagine the place where you can escape for a day, get immerged in a world of rooms, inspiration and expertise, where you can lay in luxury, accommodation and kids cam fees from ninety five sets. Tickets are free to everyone and include all the attractions you've just imagined a day out at Ikia Ikia the Wonderful.
Speaker 2: Every day your flat out and your to do list is grown by the minute, but unfortunately, so is your headache, and now you've gone from flat out to flattened. Luckily, Panodal extra film coated tablets are boosted by caffeine and they get to work in as little as ten minutes for powerful relief. That's more than just paracetamol. That's one for panadal speed based on absorption data contains paracetamol. Always read the label or leaflet.
Speaker 3: Oh hey, it's your uncle's corduroy jacket that smells like pipe smoke and breakfast sausage. Ali Ward back with another episode of ologies. Okay, so this one's special because your ears are about to get a real mouthful about your eyes. So it's a very multisensory affair, like, hey, ears, will you pass this highly informative binder paper note to Eyes and Ears is like ooh, hell yeah, but I'm gonna read it first and it better not talk shit on me. And I'm like, okay, Ears, thanks, you're great. One day we're going to do an episode about you. I promise, just not this week. Eyes all eyes are on you. I mean all ears are on you, Okay. I stuff makes your old pod dad a little squeamish. So my goal in doing this episode. I did it intentionally because I was like, ooh, I wanted to get over my eye squeamishness and stop shoving eyes into a corner. No one puts eyes in a corner. Eyes, here's looking at you. Okay. But first a little business, So thank you to all the Instagram powers. This week little milestone, we crossed ten thousand. I did a very small private dance in an airport alone about it and was like, oh, thank you to all the patrons who support the show and submit questions for the ologies. At patreon dot com slash ologies. You can support for as little as a quarter a week twenty five cents a week. So this is totally independently published and produced show. It is like I'm literally recording this in my closet and I recorded on the road when I'm working. I just love making it. So thank you for making it possible literally by your Patreon support. So if you want to find other ologites in the wild, you can pick up ologies shirts and dad hats and pins and totes and backpacks and such at ologiesmerch dot com. Also thank you to anyone who rates and reviews and subscribes. That costs no money, takes a couple of minutes, and it helps keep ologies up here in the charts for other people to discover. It takes like seconds. Also, I'm a known lurk. I lurk and when I'm feeling like so jet lagged that i want to go live in a hollowed out tree and talk only to squirrels. Your iTunes reviews roways remind me that there are folks out there who are listening and cheering me on to keep making more. And it helps so much. And to prove it, I read one out loud each week so you know that I actually look and this week I'm actually going to shout out. I think I'm going to shout out to because they're quick, okay, easy, Anielo says literally life changing. Ten out of ten, this podcast inspired me to pursue my interest in bugs, and now I'm working in an utopology lab. Huh, that's so exciting. Thanks Ali. Every episode is super fun regardless of the topic. Listen to them all. Congratulations, this is amazing. Also, Trista Edwards wrote, this podcast is like the manifestation of all of my obsessions. Every episode is like experiencing an auditory cabinet of curiosities. As poet, this podcast generates so much creativity and inspires a poem with every episode. Thanks Ali. Soon I may have a whole book of poems inspired by ologies. Trista Edwards hell, yes to that. Please keep doing that. We'll buy your book.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Back to optthalmology, which is a word that is like a letter party where someone invited too many h's, Like, oh damn, why can I not spell this word? Just keep adding hus. That's the secret and the etymology. If you guessed Russian, you are not correct because it's Greek. It's just Greek guys. Ophthalmolos means I. Okay, but what does it mean to be an ophthalmologist? Okay? Well, I called upon a longtime pal of mine, a friend who is not only super dedicated to his work, but he is one of the few truly sane people I know in LA. Like he stands out at barbecues because it's like, what's that guy's deal? He seems nice and like he has his life together. It's so weird. He hasn't taken a picture of himself smoking or mentioned an impropt troupe. He's all so the type of friend that you can text a medical problem too, and if it's related to eyes, he'll weather your questions. He'll hook you up solid dude. And I just wrote the Yelp reviews for his medical practice. People love him. He's like everyone's favorite super smart cousin. The reviews are like five stars. Would get treated for pink eye again. So I sent him a message. I was like, Hey, can I podcast your brain or what? And he was like, sure, dude. So I drove the half a mile to his house. Have I mentioned I'm based in Los Angeles? Also, it was so hot out, I'm sorry, And we sat at his kitchen table and had a merry old talk about eyeballs and he helped me face my squeamosity head on, and we talked about why evolution hasn't weeded out bad vision, and what to do if you screw up on your eye tests, and what to eat to have healthier peepers, and if phones are making us maybe a little cross eyed, and maybe very briefly some very bad ocular accidents, and what mascara is really made of and Mari Juanna, and do I have eyeball tumors? And we dress diabetes and so called color blindness in air quotes and why we cry and dogs who wear glasses. So there's so much happening. Please get ready to have a ball with ophthalmologist doctor reed Wayous.
Speaker 4: Let's do this. I haven't I listened, Like I said, I listen to podcasts every day. I probably listened to an how I have the podcasts almost every day?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I listening to.
Speaker 4: A podcast when you walk out to the door.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Okay, I just have to get read in here like friend, like ptend like I'm on the radio now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great, look at this, we're rolling all right? Yeah? Okay, doctor Reid Wayness, you are an ophthalmologist. Yes, I know you get this question. I feel like everywhere like rental car counters, cocktail parties, whatever. What's the difference between and ophthalmologists and optometrists. I'm sorry, I have to ask you that.
Speaker 4: It's the question everybody asks, so it's a good one to start with. So optometrists and optthalmologists do a lot of there's a lot of overlaps, so they do a lot of the same things, which is examinize and treat eye conditions.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Optometry school focuses on diagnostic pathways, so learning to diagnose certain eye diseases, learning to do refractions, which you check patients for glasses and get them seeing well, do vision therapy like contact lenses and low vision specialties where they really focus on your vision.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Ophthalmology is more of a disease focused specialty. Yeah, and you go through medical school, so you're focusing on the diseases and treating the diseases, whether that's medically or surgically. So it is definitely overlap. But optthalmology is more of the medical side of things, but that's blurred a little bit more in recent years. So optometrists are doing nice pun right intended aphalmology pun.
Speaker 3: So refractions is what you call it. When they're just checking to see if you can read the idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the torturous number one or number two, which is more clear that everybody hates.
Speaker 3: I just did that. I just had an eye appointment on.
Speaker 4: Tuesday, which I and you didn't see me.
Speaker 3: I did not see you, can you? But do you do refractions? To you?
Speaker 4: Do I do?
Speaker 3: Okay? I didn't know that you only cut eyeballs open.
Speaker 4: No, I mean I can. I don't do it as my mainstay of my work, but usually for friends and family and people I know, I do that.
Speaker 3: I had no idea, okay, I thought that I thought you were the big guns. Like you go to you and you're like, I think I have cancer in my eye.
Speaker 4: Well sure, I mean for that, you'd probably go to an oncologist specialist, which you know, you could see me first, and if I see cancer in your eye, we'd refer you out to one of those, thankfully. But you know that's pretty rare. You don't have cancer.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize until I said that that I have been told I do have an eye tumor.
Speaker 4: You have a trigium. I know, yeah, I remember.
Speaker 3: So a side note, I forgot that i'd made read look at my gross eyeball like seven years ago. Also, a trigium takes its name from the word putter, meaning wing, and it's this webby wing shaped film that grows in your eyeballs if you move somewhere with bleached bright light and you don't wear sunglasses for a few years. The condition varies in severity. Mine's not that bad. But it's also called surfer's eye, which is appropriate because it is clinically speaking Helen Narnar anyway, Yeah, do I still have them?
Speaker 4: Well, they don't just go away? Yeah, God, I have So.
Speaker 3: I have a benign tumor in my eye.
Speaker 4: Right, a tumor. It's more of a degeneration of the membrane covering your eye. Terygium is the medical term for it. But it's just a uv damage to the white part of your eye that causes it to get a little It loses the elastic portion, so it kind of swells up a little bit and grows a little differently than it normally would.
Speaker 3: And so can I use I have eye tumors as an excuse to not go to things.
Speaker 4: You can do whatever you want, whether you know, if there's an ophthalmologist or an optometrist at the party. They'll know you're full of something, but you know you can pull it off.
Speaker 3: I'm full of it. Tumors can't go to your birthday. So how did old doctor Waynis who I'm let's be honest, I'm just gonna keep calling Reid because we're like bros in real life. How did he decide to go to medical school for ophthalmology?
Speaker 4: I went to medical school not knowing that I wanted to be an ophthalmologist, but just knowing that I wanted to be a physician.
Speaker 3: Really, so what convinced you? At what point during medical school were you cutting into a cadaver and you're like, you know what, eyeballs?
Speaker 4: So definitely not when cutting into the cadavers, although that was some fun times as a first year medical student. A few people lost their lunch that first day. I'll never forget that really pretty kine. Oh yeah, actually reserved.
Speaker 3: So in his third year of medical school, Read came to a fork in the road, will he take medical path or the surgical path? That was me being like a witchy oracle deciding his future. If you're like medical surgical, Like, what's the difference? Okay? One involves the phrase.
Speaker 4: So for me, early on, I knew I wanted to do something on the surgical side. I always loved doing model cars and building stuff, so I knew I wanted to do something like that with my medical.
Speaker 3: Training, but with live bodies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but with live people exactly.
Speaker 3: There's something to me. I'm like the leap between, Like I like working on like model ships, and like I'll cut into an eyeball. There's a very large, canyon size leap that one makes. How did you do that?
Speaker 4: So I don't think it feels that distinct when you're doing it, Like it just feels kind of like a natural progression of life, or like I want to be a physician, and I always liked working with my hands, so it's like a natural next step for me, and for me, all the surgical specialties just were much more fun. I just enjoyed those things more. I enjoyed doing things physically to help people be better. Oh thank god, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Thank god there are people like you that exist.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I can't cut a raw chicken, and so thank god that there's someone that's like, yeah, I'll hop in there and do that, who would fix people's eyeballs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I'm here for.
Speaker 3: Like no one, so you were, was it kind of the altruism of it, like knowing that they're going to come out of this surgery it provided you're not drunk, that you're they're going to come out of it better sort of.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't think I've ever thought about it from that perspective. It's an interesting way to think about it. I mean, I think I just it felt normal to want to do something to make a difference in people's lives. But I never thought about, like, oh, the reason I'm doing this is altruism. It's more about just seem normal. I want to do something where I can help people, and it just fit. So for me, it was kind of like there was never a light bulb moment. It was just kind of it just always seemed like this is what I should be doing with my life. Medicine that is, Oh, this is what I like. I really like treating eye conditions and helping people see better, and it just is enjoyable.
Speaker 3: You know what, I just realized, you have glasses.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 3: How long have you had your glasses?
Speaker 4: So I've worn glasses pretty much since high school?
Speaker 3: Why is it so common? This is my biggest question. So many people have bad vision. If you put me in the wild or like on Survivor, and you took out my contacts, I would die in the first like twenty four hours, Like I have no chance. I can't see anything without them. So why have we evolved to have such shitty vision?
Speaker 4: Sure, so that's a good question. I think a lot of it comes back to what you just said, which is it's evolved. So we didn't necessarily evolve to have that bad of vision. You know, if you go back hundreds of years ago, we probably didn't have people who had minus ten prescriptions and these super strong glasses and contacts. That wasn't as common. We've seen a big boom in myopia, which is nearsightedness of having strong, strong need for glasses. In really the modern world, there's debate about what causes that one hundred percent. You know, we think that being indoors more, a lot of close work like reading computer's phones, all those things raise the risk of having a stronger prescription when we're at a young age doing that thing. Those things that we all do definitely affects that. So some of it is not about historical evolution of humanity, but kind of our behavioral changes over the last hundred years.
Speaker 3: So wait, what you're saying is wearing glasses really does mean you're a nerd because that means you were staying indoors, like not getting any sunlight, probably reading. Then you're wearing glasses. Thus you're a nerd.
Speaker 4: So a chicken or the egg, right, I don't know, but yeah, probably works that way a little bit. If you're spending more time indoors, you know, playing games and doing things up close, you're probably more likely to wear glasses.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: One of the treatments they recommend for kids to reduce myopia is to spend more time outside. Really yeah, absolutely, Oh damn.
Speaker 3: That's the one thing I feel like we're getting worse and worse probably.
Speaker 4: Probably yeah, And we're just going the exact opposite direction of that.
Speaker 3: I guess like your kid reading an iPad outside doesn't cut in, right.
Speaker 4: Probably not? Probably not.
Speaker 3: So do you think that like dogs and apes and giraffes and stuff have shitty vision and they're just like, man, I would I can't read that sign?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: Some do? I mean yeah? I mean you've can tell though, if an animal can't function because of their vision, then they're gonna be walking into stuff. So you know, again, evolution, I think hits those kind of animals a lot harder than they do us at this point, since we're pretty domesticated. But you know, a dog that can't see. We all see dogs with cataracts as they get older, and you can see the cloudiness in their eye and they're bumping into the walls. But most young animals don't have problems like that because just their behavior and evolution over the years hasn't created a situation where they're reading things up close. You know, even if your dogs inside all day, they're not reading the newspaper.
Speaker 3: Do that dog would rule?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean Garfield probably would mean glasses eventually, but other than that, most pets are good to go.
Speaker 3: Quick aside, I needed to see photos of animals and glasses, so I googled animals and glasses and it did not disappoint. I soon found myself on a website called doggles dot com, which, as you may have guessed, sells goggles for dogs, just dope as hell, prescription lenses, sunglasses for pups. And for a second, I forgot all about the world's troubles. Also, one study found that gorillas, are you ready for this need reading glasses when they get older? So what is happening when you get older and you have to hold shit further away from your face?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: The muscles in our eyes, they make it harder to squish our lenses to change focal length. So it's kind of like your hand getting too tired to work a zoom lens. But I feel like instead of reading glasses for gorillas, they would technically be like lice picking glasses. Okay, how much do you notice eye problems and other people? Like, for example, my eyes are garbage. My eyes are tiny balls of garbage, Like I have turigium, which are I'm sorry, there are tumors in the eye. I'm telling everyone. I my eyes get red when I'm hungry. I don't know why they get read all the time. Like how much are you diagnosing people when you're talking to them?
Speaker 4: Not that much? Surprisingly, I'm not just talking to people out in the street and really like looking, Oh do they have a red eye? Do they have a contact in their eye? Do they have trigium? Do they have a cataract?
Speaker 3: Now with the influx or rather now with a change in policy toward wacky tobacci. Do you notice a lot of stony eyeballs in Los Angeles and California and also Denver?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 4: I think it's hard to tell, because you know, you don't. I think I just assume at this point everyone in Los Angeles is stone. So I can't tell who's just got red eyes from dryness out there and who's actually stone.
Speaker 3: Why do people's eyes get bread when they're stone? I can't believe that. I didn't realize that. I meant to ask.
Speaker 4: Sure, So we have blood vessels on our eyes, and when they're dilated the blood vessels, they look more red, and when they're shrunken they look less red.
Speaker 3: So heads up. It's the THHC levels in the wacky tobacci that lower the blood pressure and then cause blood vessels to just bloom and dilate into something beautifully bloodshot. But that very decrease in the intraocular pressure is what helps the glaucoma patients. So if you're somewhere it's legal and you want the other medicinal benefits of cannabinoids but do not wish to look like mugshot, you can go for lower TAC products instead of just like buying vizine by the leader jug.
Speaker 4: You know, if you take vizine, it just a vasoconstrictor. It shrinks the blood vessels on your eye so they don't look as red. That's what vizin is doing to people's eyes are clear eyes. Any of that stuff I.
Speaker 3: Hear that stuff is garbage. It's so bad, terrible is it?
Speaker 4: So it hides the redness, but it doesn't actually treat the problem, and then what ends up happening is your eye gets addicted to it. So once you stop taking it, the blood vessels aren't trunking down anymore. They kind of dilate up really really big, and then your eyes look super red, and then you put more in because you're stuck using it, and then you're just in a cycle where anytime you don't use it, your eyes get super super red and you feel like you have to use it every day. So it's very addictive.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 4: Don't use it every day because it's you know, your guy's gonna get hooked on it, and you don't use it for dry eyes. Use it for occasional redness relief.
Speaker 3: That's totally cool, okay, But in general, treat it like a special occasion type of vasoconstrictor exactly. I hear you can use it on zis though, and it makes them less red.
Speaker 4: I haven't heard that. I mean, I will try it. I've got some samples.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're also talking to someone who's put hemorrhid cream on their face, So don't listen to anything I say. So let's back up and say, let's just back up and look at how does vision work? Like in a nutshell, because it's kind of crazy that we have these eyeballs in our faces. What are they mostly made of? Are they mostly empty? Okay? So this in a nutshell in one paragraph explains like the miracle a vision and it'll change the way you think about your own eyeballs forever. It's crazy, okay, so stay with us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the inside of it, it's mostly just an empty gel. It's kind of like a watery, guey fingelly almost okay. But yeah, your eye's like a camera. I mean, we know how cameras work, and well people don't even worcaus are all digital. But we used to know how cameras work with you know, film and all that fun stuff. But your eye has a lens that has a retina which acts like the film in the camera, so light hits your eyeball, and the cornea the front surface of your eye, and the lens inside both kind of refract or bend the light coming into your eye and help focus it so the light passes into your eye, it gets focused down to your retina, okay. And then the retina has the rods and cones and it senses the light and the colors and puts it all together. And then the nerves on the retina colate together and send it back through the optic nerve up to your brain where the brain interprets the image.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm just gonna repeat that just in case you spaced or like someone in the park was walking a cat on a leash and you got distracted, Because this is real life, that shit happens. Okay. So the cornea is the clear dome covering the iris, which is the colored part which lets light into the lens below, and the lens is a biconvex aka that just means eminem shaped jelly blob that works like a camera lens, so light enters, gets bent and then goes through your eyeball. Jelly to the back of the eye where it hits the retina film, which has all the rods and cones to pick up light and color, and then your brain, if you're sighted, takes that information and forms a picture you perceive as a reality. Now, just as cameras can have different like mechanical hiccups, soaken eyes. So the top few causes of losing sight are cataracts, which is a clouding of the lens. There's glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetic retinal damage, and in some parts of the world there's also things like river blindness, which is caused by a filarial worm that hangs out in a black fly. Now, those are just some of the top causes here in the US, A whopping Are you ready for this? Seventy five percent of adults need vision correction, which means read can change people's lives and also has wicked job security.
Speaker 4: So you know, you've got a lot of cool stuff going on. But it's basically just a poor man's camera or cameras, a poor man's eyeball, I guess are the way around?
Speaker 3: I guess you don't. You don't need much money to have eyeballs. Which is kind of good. Does the light go through the cornea, through the lens, through the jelly, and then hit the retina type of film in the back and now it rods cones. What's happened?
Speaker 4: So, rods and cones are the sensors inside the eye. The rods are sensing the amount of light that are hitting the retin or flying into the eye there, and the cones measure the amount of the wavelength of the color essentially coming into the eye. So you know, you think of ROIDGBIV like you know, the rainbow, red, orange, yellow, and whatnot. That each of those colors has a different wavelength, and so the cones in your eye are sensing what wavelength that light ray is coming into your eye at, and that's how it knows what color it is. Ah, You've got tons of those little rods and cones in the eye, and so every little detail in the center of your vision can pick out how much light, how much color, and then the brain does all the interpreting once it gets up there.
Speaker 3: Do you ever just space out and think like it's so weird that we can see anything at all, and what if I'm seeing everything in a totally different color? Spectrum than other people, and like what's reality?
Speaker 4: I think half the second half, yes, I think that what's reality? Like consciousness throws me for a total loop. But just the fact that we all have consciousness and thoughts and all those things. Yeah, I you know, in my head, I assume we all see things mostly the same. But you know, obviously we all have different color palettes because there's people with color blindness. I don't know if what I see as red as what you see as red. Who knows?
Speaker 3: Right now? Are you colorblind? One and twelve?
Speaker 4: Dude's right, Yeah, it's a pretty big number. I don't know if it's exactly one and twelve, but it's something like that.
Speaker 3: I think it's one in twelve for men and one in two hundred for women.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty common. But again, most people don't know that they have a problem. The just that's how they experience the world.
Speaker 3: So real quick. Those rods in the retina are for low light vision, and the cones detect color. So we have three cones. They each pick up different ranges of light and color. Vision deficiency tends to happen when one of those cones isn't working right. So the story goes about a decade or so ago. While making protective eyewear for surgeons who worked with lasers, there was a California scientist named Don McPherson, and he accidentally stumbled upon some greatness. So he invented glasses that separate certain wavelengths so that the eye can detect differences between like red and green or blue, and so for people who have an issue with their cone holmes, this makes flowers and sunsets and leaves go from muddy because those wavelengths are overlapping to just like acid trip vibrant. Now, if you feel like bawling your face off, look up and chroma glasses on YouTube or Instagram. Just google color blind glasses videos And side note, the more accurate terminology in recent years is color vision deficiency, but people still use the hashtag color blindness all over the place, so it's a good bread crumb trail to follow now. Either way, These videos ough of sometimes these like stoic dad types trying on their special sunglasses. It just destroys your composure and like the best way, there's this one video, one of the first ones I ever saw, posted to YouTube by Aaron William's Melee has two million hits and features him. Oh, he's like he nervously puts on this pair of these like three hundred and fifty dollars and chroma glasses, and with this quiet dignity, just very calmly loses his shit.
Speaker 4: I feel him, dude. It's weird.
Speaker 3: He seems to almost struggle to keep his balance. He's just like washed over in this orange glow of a Virginia sunset, like the first sunset he's ever seen in full color?
Speaker 4: Can do? Is it very noticeable difference?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: I'm shaking.
Speaker 3: Ten out of ten would weep to anytime. I honestly just watched no fewer than twenty of these videos. My eyes are so swollen. I just kept watching it, just kept crying. I knew what I was doing. I loved it. You just see all the it's so yeah crying, It's like, oh God, it's wrenching.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, what kinds of things do you have to treat? Like, what's a typical day for you? How often are you like scrubbed in Gray's Anatomy style and in the O R.
Speaker 4: So I'm in surgery one to two days a week, depending on the week. Okay, I was in surgery today, but mostly I'm doing cataract surgery, so, you know, helping people see who can't see anymore because their cataracts have developed from aging. I'd see a lot of cataract patients, glocoma patients, people with dry eyes, macular degeneration, diabetes, all sorts of stuff that you affects their eyes. But I spend three or four days in the office seeing patients and.
Speaker 3: How many of your patients are stone cold awake when you're operating on them, and how many are just knocked the fuck out?
Speaker 4: So probably fifty to fifty honestly. Yeah. So we give people anesthetic to you know, relax them and ivy you know that fun stuff, and everybody just responds differently to it. And I always tell people like, we're gonna give you just enough sedation that you're comfortable, because you know, the more you give the risk. Here it is, and there's no need to do that with eye surgery because it's pretty quick, Like cataract surgeries take like eight minutes. What, Yeah, it's crazy so fast?
Speaker 3: How is that possible? I've waited for smoothies longer than that. How is it? How can you do cataract surgery both eyes or one.
Speaker 4: I just want eye. Oh yeah, yeah, per ee. So most people do one at a time. The surgery is eight minutes, but the whole process is like an hour and a half. So, but the surgery is quick. You just go in and you make a little incision that's like two and a half millimeters. You go in and kind of vacuum out the cataract and you put a new lens implant to replace it, and you're done quick.
Speaker 3: I don't get that though, because the cataract, So do you take out the lens that's there or do you put another lens on top of the lens?
Speaker 4: We take out the lens, so yeah, the cataract is the lens itself getting cloudy. Oh so I always tell people, like, think of your camera. If you get an old camera with a cloudy lens, you need to replace it with a new lens. That's what cataract surgery is. It's just a lens replacement. So we take out the old one and put in a new plastic artificial one that's clear so people can see better. Again.
Speaker 3: My dad had that surgery done one at a time, not by me, not by you. I'm so sorry, we had no idea. I should have been like, dad, come down here. But in low light, he has the most like shimmery cartoon unicorn eyes. They just like they're like, why is that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So the lenses plastic, so you're catching a reflection off of it when you see it. So what happens in the low light is as pupil gets big, so it's pupil dilates, so you can see more of the artificial lens, so you get more reflections off of it.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. So next time you know someone with cataract surgery, just like like take a gander, you'll.
Speaker 4: See a twinkle, Like you'll see like it'll be a light off in the distance and you'll catch that twinkle off someone's eye, and yep, you know they have implants from cataract surgery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're like, what are you Santa Claus? Like, where did that covered? Just like exactly, so different color eyes now the iris is the colored part, correct, Okay, so what's the function of that? And also I heard that everyone who has blue eyes is related to each other somewhere down the line by one person who just had crazy eyes.
Speaker 4: Well, technically we're all related. If you go by far enough, so probably true, yes, But the different color eyes. So if you evolutionarily wise, if you grew up somewhere your ancestry that was Nordic and there wasn't as much sun, you're more likely to have light colored eyes because it doesn't matter if too much light's coming in the eyes because there's not a lot of light. If it's just like having darker skin or lighter skin, it's melanin deposits in the eye. It's the same thing as why we have dark skin versus light skin. If you grew up you know your ancestry along the equator, you're gonna have much darker skin because there's much more light and your body needs to adapt to that.
Speaker 3: And melanin can be the blue.
Speaker 4: So it's not that the melanin is blue, it's the amount of melanin in your eye changes what it looks like. So if you have a really light colored eye, you don't have as much melanin in your eye.
Speaker 3: So then why are eyes blue or green? Like? What's causing those colors all again?
Speaker 4: It goes back to the wavelengths coming out of your eye. It's like why is the sky blue? It's that same age old question. It's not because the sky is blue. It's because the light that bounces off the sky is coming at the wavelength that is blue.
Speaker 3: I'm glad someone explained that to me, because I still sometimes struggle with that concept. So side note. The physics of the blue sky is called Rayleigh scattering, and that has to do with the size of the particulates. But in the eye, in the iris, it's called the Tindal effect. So it's not that like Frank Sinatra or your neighbor's cool husky has blue pigment up in their all peepers, but really a lack of pigment that lets the shorter wavelengths in blues scatter and reflect back. So it's called a structural color. And it's why if the light changes in the room, or if one were to wear a different shirt, eye color can appear to shift a little, because they're just like freaky translucent bounce boards. Now, speaking of colors, I did not know that different colored lasers can do different things, and read mentioned that a red laser can penetrate through different types of tissues than say a yellow laser, which then maybe be like, oh shit, man, lasers, Okay, have eyelasers been a real game changer?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, thankfully for me, I had to experience that too much because they were around long before my time. But eye lasers in some capacity have been around for decades. People use lasers for laser and treating diabetes in the eyes and all sorts of other things, which is that's been around for you know, many US thirty years. But you know, there's newer technologies and newer types of lasers all the time, and people always trying to figure out new uses for that stuff.
Speaker 3: When you did your first surgery and you're like, I'm about to work on a live, a living person's eyeball, were you nervous as hell?
Speaker 4: So probably I don't remember it too well. Now it's been a few years. You have somebody sitting with you. It's not like you're just out in the wilderness operating on somebody, and you know, if you're doing something wrong, they're going to say, okay, step aside, let me take over, and they'll get things back on course for you. It's not like all of a sudden you're just out on your own trying to operate on somebody and you just hope for the best.
Speaker 3: Sounds that I picture I picture someone. It's just like there's like maybe a nurse and an antesthesiologist in the room, and everyone's like, all right, doctor, go for it, and you're just like shit out of luck. You can't look anything up, like if you screw up or you sweat on someone, like it's your own I just picture you being totally on your own.
Speaker 4: No, so thankfully, unless you went to some terrible training program. By the time you graduate and you go out to the real world where you do have to be on your own, you feel pretty confident. But it is still a weird feeling that first time you operate out in private without you know, a teacher with you. It's definitely a weird experience anytime you're doing something you don't know how to do well yet you feel out of your element and you feel like you're pretending a little bit, and you learn and you get better and better until you're really good at it.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm about to spill like a thimbles worth of tea about my personal life here, but so Reed and I are like bro buddies now. But before he met his amazing, smart, super badass hot wife Aaron, years and years ago friends tried to set up me and read I remember because full disclosure, we've been on a couple of dates. True, sorry, And I remember like eight years ago. I remember me being like, how how was your day at work? And you said the words ruptured globe and I was like, say no more. And I remember being like I would be the worst girlfriend because I would be like, I can't even I couldn't process, like what your job entailed, Like it seemed like a war zone where it was like ruptured globe, Like how does that happen? Was there like a paintball accident? Was there like a car? Oh? Like does this ever affect you? How does it? And like how much of the details of your job do you tell your wife?
Speaker 4: So you know, when I was in training, I trained at a county hospital, so you saw a lot of crazy stuff, Like I have some crazy stories. Tell me crazy I will, I'll get to that. But my wife, you know I'm in I'm boring private practice now, so I don't come home with crazy ruptured globe stories too often. But you know I come home my wife's like how is your day? Normal husband and wife kind of stuff, and if something crazy happened I'll tell her, but usually it's not that not that gut wrenching these days and my day to day work so ruptured. Globe stories, I mean, I got those coming out of the kind of coming out of the ears.
Speaker 3: So what's a story? Then you can tell me that I won't throw up in a garbage can right now?
Speaker 4: So should I get a garbage can ready? Like? Do I need to be prepared?
Speaker 3: I'll throw down my shirt.
Speaker 4: It's okay.
Speaker 6: So the craziest story I've had is I'll tell the story the way I like to tell it because I think you save what it actually is till the end and it makes the you know, had some drama.
Speaker 4: But so I'm on call. I'm at the hospital and I get a call from the emergency room downstairs, and it's getting kind of late in the day. So they call me and they say, we got a guy down in the emergency room. He fell off his bike four days ago and his eyes swollen and red and he can't see very well. He saw an eye doctor in the community and they told him he needed a cat scan, so they send him here and I said, cool, we'll get the cat scan and call me back. So this was at like, you know, six seven pm at night, I'm like checking the radiology program on my computer, like looking to see when this cat scan pops up. And I'm just sitting in the on call room like hoping I can get to go to catch some sleep soon. I pull up the scan and I see.
Speaker 3: All right, just please prepare for this. Also, I was editing this while I was making tea, and I didn't know that the kettle was done because in my headphones, my screams sounded the same as the high pitched tea whistle, screaming. Okay.
Speaker 4: I pull up the scan and I see a picture of a nail that's probably five inches long, I swear to God, going through his entire eye and up into his brain and with the front of aelbe of the brain. My God, and I was like, uh, I think I need to run downstairs to the emergency room to see what's going on here.
Speaker 3: Oh my God.
Speaker 4: So patient had no idea it was in there, and I swear to so it was the real He lied and said he fell off his bike when he came to the emergency room, But the real story was he was working construction and the nail gun he was using backfired. And it hit him in the face so hard that he passed out, So he didn't know what happened, and the nail went I wish the listeners could see your face right now. But the nail went through the side of his nasal fold and up through the eye, and he it went through so fast that you couldn't even see the incision where it went in because it was right on the fold of the nose. So it was like the perfect angle that he didn't even know what happened. He just knew his eye hurt.
Speaker 3: My fucking gun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So obviously we took him to surgery, took the nail out. He kept his eyeball amazingly, but he's not seeing very much out of that eyecause he had a retten on the attachment and all sorts of other problems. But he stayed at home for four days with that thing in his eye before he came to the hospital.
Speaker 3: I'm on the verge of throwing up, but I'm not going to. I'm swallowing a very a lot. Oh my god. Okay, two questions. Sure, did it touch his brain? Did he get to keep the nail? So?
Speaker 4: Yes? And no, it did touch his brain, but he didn't get to keep it.
Speaker 3: Why didn't he get to keep the nail.
Speaker 4: That's a good question. I think that's a question for the neurosurgeon who took it out.
Speaker 3: Oh, he should have given him the thing.
Speaker 4: I don't remember him getting to keep the nail.
Speaker 3: Did he Did it hurt his brain?
Speaker 4: No? I mean the front of lobe is kind of a you know, it's hard to quantify, but that hurts the brain or not? You know, if you remember back to the story of Phineas Gage, he had like the nail.
Speaker 3: Yes, see the eighteen forty eight accident in Vermont, when a twenty five year old railroad foreman had a three foot metal spike blast through and out of his skull and lived for twelve years after, albeit a little less inhibited. Side note Google image search Phineas Gage, and you will pull up like a dagera type with sultry lighting of a bizarrely honky dude. And he's just holding this railroad spike like a staff. After the fact, he traveled with it. He held onto it for the rest of his life. Also, I realize it's disrespectful because this involves massive head trauma, but the dude could still get it one hundred percent would still hit that.
Speaker 4: In the trained spike or whatever. It was, a railroad spike went through his frontal lobe, and it just changed his personality, like you can live a normal life, but it just like disinhibited him. But this was just barely in his brain. I don't think he probably did much.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. What if he's just like so good at dancing and Carrie.
Speaker 4: Could be yeah, and it's all thanks to that nail gun.
Speaker 3: He's just like, yeah, found out I'm an opera.
Speaker 4: Say there, he could be painting Picasso's like he could be the best artist in the world.
Speaker 3: Now, oh my god, was he Were you there to deliver the news?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I was there. We were more at this point, just so because he didn't tell us what actually happened that I was. We were like, come on, tell us, what really happened. We know you didn't fall off your bike. There's a nail in your eyeball.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. When you told him, was he in shock? Did he laugh? Did he cry?
Speaker 4: He was amazed? He was amazed, O my god. Oh, but obviously not surprised because he knew what actually happened.
Speaker 3: He's like, yeah, I didn't the face of the nail gun. Oh my god, full face moments from now on with nail guns definitely Okay. So picture an otherwise normal looking X ray film with just a giant nail floating in the middle of the brain. Just astonishing survival. And I googled to see if maybe this particular story like made the news, and you guys, I didn't find it, but I found several other stories of men who had nail gun accidents and didn't know until the X rays came back. The wounds were so clean, but nails lodged in their brains somehow. The stories I read everyone survived and was fine. I have no explanation for this, but I did ask and read another doctors will always do cat scans instead of MRIs in the case of any kind of trauma, just on the off chance that there's some metal up in your dome, which, if you remember from the radiology episode, would be very bad scene. Okay, but all those people that I read about happened to survive. Who Okay. One more story, but it's very intense and was inspired by just that chill Bible verse about any I that causes you to sin should be like eighty six. I'm just gonna give you literally the briefest of details, but.
Speaker 4: Took two pencils and you can imagine the rest. The pencils did not touch your eyes.
Speaker 3: Amazing, right, the good news in this story everyone lived bad news. Not with great vision. Have you ever had any close calls with your own bowles?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: No, I have not, think.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, have you ever worn mascara?
Speaker 4: I haven't.
Speaker 3: Or do you ever see eye makeup or beauty treatments and you're like, that is not good for your eye? Don't do it? Oh?
Speaker 4: All the time, really all the time. So there's people, you know, we see a lot of patients for dry eyes. People come in with their eyes are irritated, they burn, they scratch, they are tired, all that kind of normal stuff that we all complain about. Their eyes are teary. And then people come in the office to get examined and I look at their eyes and their tear film has just little black specks of mascara floating all in it because they put so much mascara on that is just floating in their tears. Like, of course, your eyes are irritated, your eyes are just sitting in mascara. Goop all day long.
Speaker 3: Oh no, that makes me want to cry because I think mascara is made of like wood pulp. Alarily, Yeah, like part of what we adhere to our eyelashes to lengthen them is like wood pulp. True story, I mean sort of. So mascara can contain rayon fibers which are processed cellulose derived from wood pulp on your eyeballs? Are we bat shit? I mean, baby? But is mascara is mescara? Well? According to the twenty ten episode of the Kid Rock Look and Rat Trapper show Billy the Exterminator.
Speaker 5: Guano's beneficial demand, the number one thing we use backguano for is mass scarra. Yes, ladies, when you use your mass scarra, you're painting back guano on your eyes. It's okay, they killed the diseases. It goes through a process, but that's all it is.
Speaker 3: Back Crab checked into this, and mascara does not contain guano, but rather it has this shimmery substance guanine, which, don't worry, this is simply derived from putting dead fish scales in an industrial blender like a fishy milkshake. Who's hungry? Speaking of is sugar rush. How does diabetes affect eyes.
Speaker 4: So that's a really important question because diabetes is like one of the leading causes of blindness in the world. Really yeah, absolutely, So what ends up happening in the eye is the retina, which is, you know, where the rods and cones are, like the film in the camera. There's a lot of blood vessels through there, and so the blood's not working properly. The tissues get what we call a schemic when there's not enough blood tissue perfusion.
Speaker 3: Blood tissue perfusion just means that blood is getting where it needs to go, like no traffic on the floural five, all is right with the world.
Speaker 4: The retina gets damaged from lack of perfusion, of lack of proper blood flow. And then the response is it signal to say, I need more blood vessels. So this isn't working for me. I need better blood. So all that vegaff or vascular endotheld growth factor floods into the eye and it kind of floats in the eye, and the eye starts making all these new little wispy, crappy blood vessels. Those blood vessels aren't good healthy blood vessels, and they break, they bleed, they scar, They cause all sorts of problems.
Speaker 3: So if left unchecked, these issues can lead to blindness. So go to the doctor if you can. Now. One thing they can do to help is use anti cancer drugs for it. Like, really, what in the sam hell how does that work?
Speaker 4: We actually inject it into the eye and it turns down that signal, so the blood vessels start to shrink down. So those new little, whispy, crummy blood vessels shrink, disappear, and you can reverse some of that. Some of the damage is permanent, but you can reverse some of it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't realize that diabetes and eyesight were so linked. Oh yeah, I had no idea. So I'm sure you're seeing more and more in that.
Speaker 4: We see tons of it. Yeah. So you know, one of the really important things if you have family or friends or yourself are diabetic. Yearly eye exams are so crucial because if you catch it early, we can treat it with lasers or injections, different things that stop it from happening. So you know, we can really save people from going blind when we treat it early.
Speaker 3: Speaking again of eye lasers, okay, let's talk lasik. Sure, so many people have gotten it. I'm going to let you know so many people I know who have gotten it and had crappy experiences, and I'm scared.
Speaker 4: Of it bad.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure there are so many people I know that have gotten it and just said nothing. And it's only the vocal people who are like putting on Facebook that their eyes are bleeding or whatever. But what happens with lasik? How safe is it?
Speaker 4: So let's start with the number one thing is it's very safe.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: So you know, like anything, you hear the bad stories. You don't hear the good stories. So everybody who has a bad result is good to talk about it, right. The ninety nine percent of people who have a perfect result just going with their lives and are happy. Right, So you know, the loud people are the people who are unhappy and of anything medical procedures included.
Speaker 3: How can you haven't gotten it?
Speaker 4: So I don't mind wearing glasses. I have a small prescription, Okay, So I'm happy wearing glasses. I think I look dapper with glasses. I'm happy with them.
Speaker 3: It's a good look. And also it's on brand for you exactly there you go exactly, so you might say that for doctor Waynus, the glass is half full.
Speaker 4: So lasic is basically reshaping the eye to build your prescription into your eye. Okay, So your glasses work by bending light. So the way your eye works right now is we've talked about this earlier. The cornea and the lens bend the light coming into your eye, and it focuses on the retina. So if you don't need glasses at all, it means that's focusing in the right place. It's focusing right on your Oh okay, if you're near sighted, it means your eyeball is too long, so that focus is actually happening. The image is actually focusing on the middle inside of your eyeball and not making it all the way to the back of the eye to where it's supposed to be.
Speaker 3: No way, So I got long eyeballs.
Speaker 4: You've got long eyeballs.
Speaker 3: No way. I never realized that's my vision. How did I not ask that earlier?
Speaker 4: So that's the more near sighteds you are, probably the more elongated or the longer your eye is. Oh my god, the average eye is like twenty three twenty four milimeters long. I did I have a patient schedule for surgery that has an actual length or a length of their eyeball of thirty one milimeters, so they're really really near sighted.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know, the longer your eye is, the higher your prescription. So anyways, so the way your glasses work or contacts is they bend the light into a different way. So the light coming into your eye is bent, it's hitting a focal point in the wrong spot. So the lenses that you put in front of your eye just change the way that light is bending so that it focuses in the correct place.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: So lasik is doing the same thing. We're reshaping the cornea to chain the way the light comes into your eyes so it bends and focuses in the right place.
Speaker 3: But you're not changing the length of the eyeball, correct, Okay, you can't change that. So with laser they flatten or they steep in the angle of that cornea, that dome that covers your iris, and that changes the way that the light bends before it hits your little jelly lens inside. And so why does it not work for some people? Or can your body grow it back to whatever bad shape it was to begin with?
Speaker 4: No, So your eye is not going to change. Your eye does change. So you know, if you laser your cornea to a different shape, it's not going to regress back to the old shape it was in because they actually remove layers of the cornea and they're gone. So that's what the laser does. The lasers ablating are destroying layers of your cornea to flatten it out. Okay, so it's pretty crazy stuff when you actually think about what's actually happening. But it's really amazing that it works. And then people figured it.
Speaker 3: Out and it doesn't hurt.
Speaker 4: It doesn't hurt. No, you numb the eye. You put a lit eye drop on there and it numbs it so it'll burn for like five seconds. When you put the numbing drop on, it doesn't hurt at all.
Speaker 3: And then when our eyes get worse and worse every year, is it because our eyeballs getting longer or what's happening?
Speaker 4: Most of it is the change in the lens inside of your eye, the corny inside the eye.
Speaker 3: All right, let's talk about eyes and phones. Okay, I feel like I worry that my phone is making micross eyed or giving me like one wonky eye. Do I have a wonky eye.
Speaker 4: You don't have wonky eye?
Speaker 3: Are you lying to me?
Speaker 4: I'm not lying, okay, And if I was, I wouldn't know which I to look at.
Speaker 3: Oh No, I feel like in pictures sometimes I'll look and I'll be like, where are my eyes looking right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah? You might have just not been looking at the camera. Okay, that's possible.
Speaker 3: Ps. So we took a quick selfie on his porch for Instagram after we recorded, and sure enough, I was just looking at the screen on my phone instead of the actual camera lens, and my eyes looked weird. And he was like, my god, what a dipshit. But our phone's doing terrible things to our eyes.
Speaker 4: So yes, and no, I mean they're not doing anything that bad. Our eyes more dry because when ends up happening anytime you stare at something really intently, like your phone, a computer, even a newspaper, you don't blink as much, and so your eyes get drier and drier, and the tears have different layers in them. We have oil that comes from our eyelids, and we know that doing a lot of close up work and using screens makes that oil production not work. Oh Properlately it don't work properly. It works, but it just doesn't work as it's supposed to. So we get blockages of the oil glands in our eyes. So it's very common we see people in our office. I look at their eyelids and I can see their oil glands are all plugged up. Really yeah, and you literally just put heat on it and that helps. So you put hot compresses on the eyes, or nutritional supplements like fatty omega three fatty acids. That kind of stuff helps.
Speaker 3: How can you tell are their little bumps?
Speaker 4: There are those little glands. So if you google my bomian gland, sure you'll see tons of Google images of people's my booming glands, and you'll see those little white dots right at the base of every eyelash pretty much, uh huh. And in somebody with blockages of those, they kind of look big and bulgy. So it's like a pimple. I mean, it looks like, you know, tiny little pimple. It's like a little ball of white goop that's kind of stuck there where the oil is not flowing out properly.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I didn't look this up, and oh god, So if you've completely desensitized yourself to doctor pimple popper and are looking for like a stronger barfier fix. Feel free to saunter into the dark underworld. That is a YouTube search for my bomium gland expression, wherein a doctor just gently wedges a metal paddle into your eye and then presses your lid into it, erupting what appears to be butter in a linear fashion like the Bellagio fountain in Vegas, only tiny, oily and out of your eyeballs.
Speaker 4: So that's what you're doing your eye when you're staying at your phone and you're making it dry. You're disrupting the oil mechanism of the eye. You're not like causing yourself to go blind. You're not going to cause any permanent problems. But you are just irritating your eye.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I had no idea. But it's but it's not going to be something permanent.
Speaker 4: No, I mean some of it. You know it's permanent, and that you're not going to give up your phone. So and I don't think we're gonna have a purge and I'll get rid of technology, and I don't know, maybe we will.
Speaker 3: I feel like the apocalypse is an I and possible. I mean that in a good way. Just start over. So side note read it also told me that the puff test at the doctor is measuring your intraocular pressure. Like if the air flattens, it not enough pressure, but if it barely budgees you might have a bulge issue, like possibly from glaucoma. So contrary to common beliefs, it's not merely a tool to scare this shit out of you and deliver perverse joy to eye doctors. Also, are tears different depending on if they are tears of joy tears of sadness. Have you seen that thing going around there? Are?
Speaker 4: Their tears are different. So I don't know about the emotional component of the tears, but there are definitely different proteins in your tears for different things. So we all have tears that are on our eyes one hundred percent of the time, and when we cry, we make a totally different type of tear. So if you've looked at it under micro's hope, they would look totally different. Really yeah, I think it holds true for different emotional states as well.
Speaker 3: So side note. A few years back, photographer Rose Lynn Fisher released a series of dozens of microscopic images of dried tears and tears. Apparently there are three types. There are basal tears, those are the everyday ones that our eyes used just to stain moists. There are psychic tears caused by grief or laughing or frustration. And then there are reflex tiers, which could be caused by like onion, vapors or dust. So Roselind Fisher collected over one hundred samples from herself and from volunteers, and they all dried in these really beautiful and wildly varying patterns, and they look like land from an aerial view, kind of like a stark, black and white satellite map. And so she called the project Topography of Tears. Now, some of the variation can depend on the drying conditions and the salinity. But psychic tears, the emotional ones, do contain more of a protein based hormone that acts as a pain killer. So when you're out there, like having a good face rain, watching a dude having a face rain, wearing color vision deficiency glasses, your body is like this much beauty, this much beauty. It hurts me, make it stop. Humans are so cute. Also, we get befuddled a lot, for example.
Speaker 4: But people always get really confused because they come to the doctor and they say, my eyes are watering, and I'm like, you have dry eyes and they're like, no, I don't have wet eyes. And it's like, well, no, your eye is crying because the tears that are supposed to be just sitting on the eye all the time, which are different type of tears, aren't there.
Speaker 3: That's so that's so funny because if I were at your page, I'd be like, I don't look at how wet my whole face is wet.
Speaker 4: Oh, so you're tearing to fix the fact that your eyes are dry with a different type of tear. That's not doing what you really need.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Okay, okay, so quick aside, Reeds started telling me another story about his days in the trenches as an emergency eye doctor and a sixteen year old patient he saw and I'm gonna redact most of it and I'm just gonna let you visualize the rest.
Speaker 4: But firework wasn't working. Homemade firework. Of course, it's always a homemade firework. Yep.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's all you need. Let's just say he has one glass eye now, or does he there.
Speaker 4: He was like an inspirational kid, you know, just like got him an artificial you know, fake eye and he was happy and look good and how do you live a normal life?
Speaker 3: How do those glass eyes work?
Speaker 4: And so they're not glass sized? Okay, so glass eyes is like maybe one hundred years ago he wile these glass eyes or I don't know when, but nobody uses glass eyes now. So basically you take out the eye and you put a ball in there. It can be like a silicone implant ball or like a little porous implant, and basically you cover it with the membranes that normally cover the eye. So you actually remove the eyeball itself, but you leave all like the membranes around it. It would the whole eye would just be white like your eye is now, so it would just like white across the whole thing. And then they get a little prosthetic shell that's like a giant contact and it sits on top of that and they paint it to match your other eye. So you probably have interacted with people that you don't even know have a fake eye because it's painted to look exactly like they're their eye.
Speaker 3: What's that job like?
Speaker 2: Is it like.
Speaker 4: It's an ocularist.
Speaker 3: Reed told me that this job is called an ocularist and case you needs someone, doctor Stephen hadad in La one of the best in the world. And wouldn't you know it, it was Friday night and I just found myself like seventeen photos deep on this ocularist's website. They have a patient gallery, and I'm just I am genuinely thrilled to report that it is extremely unsatisfying. Just a bunch of photos of totally garden variety, nice looking people, nothing out of the ordinary. Everyone just looks healthy and happy. So good job.
Speaker 4: There's just amazing artistic people that do phenomenal work.
Speaker 3: So under over the implant is actual your tissue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so if you think about most people don't really understand the anatomy of the eye. But the eye, the weight of your eye is the sclera. But then there's the conjunctiva, which is the membrane that covers it. So you've actually got different layers there. So you can remove the eye but leave the kngent taiva. Oh, so the sclera would be gone because the eyeball itself is removed, but the membranes that kind of sit on top of that, those can be closed back up, so you put a fake eye behind it, and then you close those membranes on top of it.
Speaker 3: And then how often do you have to put in that kind of covering?
Speaker 4: So most people wear it all the time. You can, depending I think on the person's comfort level. It's like a giant, huge contact lens. But they give you like a little plunger so you can pull it out like a contact lens and everything.
Speaker 3: And then so some fun celeb trivia, So Sammy Davis Junior and Peter Falk, who played the detective Colombo, both had eye implants. And even cooler than that is that you've probably met a ton of people in real life who have them, but ocularis are such skilled wizards you just never know. It's like no biggie, Okay, onto one more thing that you don't know. Okay, are you ready for rapid fire around?
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Okay, now you've looked at these questions.
Speaker 4: I cheated.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw you became a patron, and I was like, number one, it's fine if you want to become a patron to look at your questions, but you don't have to give me five bucks a month. You could go it for a.
Speaker 4: Dollar a month, Okay, I support you.
Speaker 3: I was like, you could have gotten in for a lot less.
Speaker 4: You asked me to do this podcast, and I started listening, and now I enjoy the ologies, So I'm a patron now.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, but I was like, you didn't have to come in falling so hard.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I can handle five dollars.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, if you need to drop it down to one for reason you don't like.
Speaker 4: It, yeah, we need to start a college fund or something for the baby.
Speaker 3: Drop it down to one.
Speaker 4: We'll drop it to one.
Speaker 3: Colleen Thompson. I love also that if anyone hears any munching or bowl scraping, that's your well, your pop who has cataracts definitely does.
Speaker 4: He's sixteen years old. He's an old little guy.
Speaker 3: Do you ever want to do cataracts org you're on your dog?
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't know much about operating on dogs. And also people are much easier to anesthetize and keep still than a dog. I can't even brush my dog's teeth because he uses spath, so the thought of the thought of operating on his eyeball does not excite me.
Speaker 3: I just love that he's like, he's a good, a living demonstration of what cataracts are. Okay, so rapid fire questions, here we go. We're gonna try and get through as many as we can.
Speaker 4: We'll see do it.
Speaker 3: But before we take questions from you, our beloved listeners, we're going to take a quick break for sponsors of the show. Sponsors. Why sponsors, You know what they do? They help us give money to different charities every week. So if you want to know where Ologies gives our money, you can go to Aliward dot com and look for the tab Ologies gives back. There's like one hundred and fifty different charities that we've given to already, with more every single week. So if you need a place to go, donate a little bit of money but you're not sure where to go. Those are all picked biologists who work in those fields, and this ad break allows us to give a ton of money to them. So thanks for listening, and thank sponsors.
Speaker 1: Imagine the place where you can escape for a day, gets immersed in a world of rooms, creation and expertise, where you can lay in luxury, accommodation and kids cam Fees from ninety five sets. Tickets are free to everyone and include all the attractions you've just imagined. A day out at the Kia Pikia the wonderful.
Speaker 4: Every day you're.
Speaker 2: On the bus an hour from home and bumper to bumper traffic creeping forward a few inches at a time, someone's kids are screaming, and suddenly your back is too. Luckily, Panadal extra film coated tablets are boosted by caffeine and they get to work in as little as ten minutes for powerful relief. That's more than just paracetamol. That's one for Panadal speed based on absorption data. Contains paracetamol. Always read the label or leaflet.
Speaker 3: Okay, your questions. Colleen Thompson asks, can you really get a weed card for glaucoma? Asking for a friend?
Speaker 4: It me, Well, thankfully, you can pretty much get a weak card for anything, So you just have to tell them I have anxiety and they'll give you a weak card. So marijuana, it's actually a common question about marijuana and glaucoma. So marijuana does help glaucoma. Glaucoma is a disease where the nerve in your eye gets damage, and the way we treat that is by lowering the eye pressure. And smoking marijuana or ingesting marijuana lowers your eye pressure. However, it does it for a very short period of time, so we have medications that work much much better. You put an eye drop in your eye once a day and it's going to lower your eye pressure for twenty four hours. You smoke a joint, it's going to lower your eye pressure for maybe an hour. So we don't prescribe it for that because it's not as good of a treatment as the other treatments we do have.
Speaker 3: Got it, but also it gives you feathery, feathery eyelashes, right, the glacoma medical.
Speaker 4: Drops you, Yeah, yeah, absolutely do. That's what latis is too, So it's it's the same thing. So if you ever go and buy Latise, you're just buying a glaucoma medication. So the reason they came up with lateise is the glaucoma patients, we're getting thick eyelashes. So people were taking these medications, they noticed their eyelashes were growing and getting thick, and so they were.
Speaker 3: Like, well, hot, nagty dog, we can make some real cheddar off this, That's what I'm guessing they said. Also, April far asked, how does latisse work. I thought you just painted it on your eyelid skin to make the hair grow thicker. But a listed side effect is possible darkening of your eye color. Should people be fooling around with this for the sake of spidery lashes?
Speaker 4: It can be true. Yeah, So the medication it doesn't done most people, but it can. So the lighter your eye is to be in with, the more likely it is to happen. So the medication has been shown in people with glacoma, same things, So it's a risk if you're taking it as latis because it's the same medication that it does get into the eye. That's how it treats your eye disease. And it can change the melanin in your eyeball, in your iris, and it can darken the color of your eye. So if you have brown eyes to begin with, it's not going to lighten your eyes. It's not going to change them patients, so it is rare, but you can have people with blue eyes kind of get darker eyes while they're taking that medication, So from glacoma can happen if you're using it with LATESE. It can happen as well with latise you're applying it more on the eye lashes, so it's probably less likely to happen if you actually think about it, because you're not soaking your eye in it, right, But it absolutely is a risk.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've looked into it. It's so expensive. It's like one hundred dollars a month.
Speaker 4: And then that's why it's nice. I get samples of the glacoma medication, so if my wife wants it, I can just bring her home some samples. Literally. We have lots of people who do that, Like you'll have technicians who in our office who take a bottle home and just put it on a mass kara dropper and then rub it on their eyelashes. Yeah, a lot of the reps do it. All the reps for the glacoma medications do that really absolutely.
Speaker 3: And I hear that it's way more expensive when it's latis versus when it's at glaucoma medication.
Speaker 4: Well of course it is. But yeah, they obviously when they're selling anything for cosmetic purposes, they're going to jack up the price.
Speaker 3: On the topic of this, Susan Kiro wants to know, how about are lash extensions for your eyes professionally done?
Speaker 4: So probably fine most of the time. Again, what anything can do that's a foreign body or foreign substance or out the eye is it can cause irritation. So it's not going to cause you to go blind, but you can have an allergic reaction. I've had people come in with laxis lash extensions, with super swollen eyelids and itchy Bernie. Kind of just a leisure reaction. If you've had the multiple times and you've never had a problem, it's not gonna cause any problems.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's so weird to be like, oh, we're just gonna glue some human hair on our eyeballs.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 4: Most people will do fine, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Speaker 3: Jessica bomb Gardener and someone named Liz both said, my eyes are green, but sometimes I think they change to blue or gray depending on what I'm wearing. Is that bogus or is it color really bringing out my eyes?
Speaker 4: As far as bringing out the eye color, your eye is not changing. So your eyes is the same. So if you wear a different colored shirt, it's gonna bring it out because of the contrast between the different colors, or it might be reflecting off something so you catch it in a different light. Things like that, Your eyes can look different and it comes it's not you sense the color based on the light bouncing back to you, not what the color actually is. So you could see the same item into different lights and it looks a little different because different colors come out differently when they're reflected by different amount of light.
Speaker 3: So it's like when I turn the lights off in this room, this table gets darker. Yes, is the table getting darker? No? It's no, Okay, got it. One day we're going to have chromatophores like octopuses and we'll just we're going to be able to change them at will. It'd be pretty cool one day. I'm sure that lilachice people are going to get on that. Anna Thompson wants to note. Do contacts make your eyesight worse over time? Or was that just something my parents told me so I would get glasses and some contacts In high.
Speaker 4: School, people do what's called ortho caratology, where they wear hard contact lenses overnight while they sleep, and it actually flattens your cornea out so when you wake up, you don't need glasses the next day. What Yeah, I swear to God. So it's actually a big thing in the Asian population, especially like in Los Angeles, and we have some offices out in like Roland Heights in St. Gabriel, which are big Chinese and Korean populations, and it's really big out there. So a lot of these patients, their kids are fifteen, they are near sighted and they don't want to be so instead of having to wear glasses or contact during the day, they sleep with these orthocatology contacts and then they wake up the next day and they can see. And then if you don't wear them for three days, you're gonna lose your You're gonna go back to being nearsighted again. But as long as you wear them every night, your eye kind of stays up and you know, it stays flattened out with the cornea so you can see.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like a retainer for your eyebones.
Speaker 4: I know, yeah, I like that analogy.
Speaker 3: It's like a waist trainer. It's like a Kardashian corset. PS. Before you go google these old school corsets that are racking up all kinds of new money, please note that a year or two ago, the ones that Kimmi Kay and the crew endorsed got sued for false claims and for misleading consumers, and they lost the lawsuit. So don't squeeze your organs into an elastic vice because you'll find the way you are. And social media is a lie. Okay, bye, I can't imagine it's comfortable. But whatever Julie wants to know, or no, actually, Laura Egert Crowe wants to know. How can you keep the whites of your eyes super white? Like what causes them to be yellow and ginger and bloodshot?
Speaker 4: Sure, so your eyes are white on the sclare, but then, as we talked about, there's atle membranes that cover it, like the kanjin taiva. There's blood vessels that flow through all that. The blood vessels are red. So when the eyes are red, it's those blood vessels getting dilated. And that could be because they're irritated. It can be because you ingested a drug that makes your blood vessels dilate, you know, whatever it may be. If your blood vessels are big, you're gonna have redder eyes. The yellow is usually little fat and cholesterol deposits in there as well, and that stuff just kind of comes out when your eyes are tired or dehydrated because you know, there's less fluid around there and things kind of stand out a little bit more. Really, the best thing you can do to control that stuff is to make sure your eyes aren't dry. So try putting in artificial tears, not the red nest removers, lubricating the eyes, you know, refresh sustain, any of those artificial tears that you see when you go to the drug store and there's like a wall of eight billion different products that you have to decide which one's going to work for you. But anyone that say artificial tears to lubricate the eyes will help.
Speaker 3: I can't believe that the yellowness is like fatty deposits. That's gross.
Speaker 4: It's not that gross.
Speaker 3: It's a little gross. I mean thinking of like just having like chicken fat under there.
Speaker 4: Well it's not chicken fat, it's.
Speaker 3: Like eye small Yeah, I mean a little bit, a little bit, who knews. Okay, So hydrate, yeah.
Speaker 4: Highrate is good. But again, it's not just about Diet plays a big role too, So it's not just about how much water you drink. It's about like what vitamins you're eating. So the American eyes westernized diet is very low in Omega three fatty acids, for example, and we know that having a high dosage of those things can help dry eyes.
Speaker 3: Oh, the next question on my list from Julie is what habits or foods can the average human do to extend their eye health.
Speaker 4: Thank you Julie for that wonderful segue. But you know, eating healthy, obviously is important for the health of everything in our body. But the eyes work just like everything else does. So you know, vitamin A, for example, is good for the health of the retina. And that's why they say eat your carrots because carrots have vitamin A. Eating things that have green, leafy vegetables which are have high antioxidant levels in them are very important for the health of the eye. So diseases like macular degeneration.
Speaker 3: Macular degeneration by the byet tends to affect more folks over sixty and it's when the central portion of the retina. Remember the film in the camera at the back of the eye deteriorates. It kind of looks like the center of your vision blurs. And I started looking up images of simulations, and then I started thinking of grandmas and grandpas not being able to see their own perth daycakes or trees or their grandkids. And then I started having these painkiller salt water things come out of my lachrymal glands. So how can we prevent this?
Speaker 4: We know that anti accidents are really important, So whenever somebody comes in and is diagnosed with macaula degeneration, we put them on an anti accident supplement.
Speaker 3: Ooh, like, eat more blueberries for God's sake.
Speaker 4: Oh, we give them a pill. But that's important too, Okay, So yeah, eat blueberries, eat raspberries, eat green leafy vegetables. All that stuff is really important for the aging health of your eye. Studies have come out that have showed that you're more likely to get a cataract if you have a diet that's low envitamin C. Really all the stuff. Just eat healthy. That's really what it comes down to. There's no magic bullet. Just eat healthy and your eyes will be given the best chance you can. And you know, sometimes you have genetic diseases that you can't control, but you know, the healther you eat, the better you're going to do.
Speaker 3: You know, I did have I had a makeup artist I worked with who had really lovely skin, and she was telling me that she she just takes a lot of vitamin C and it helped her skin a lot. And I was like, I never thought about vitamin C being helpful for anything other than colds. Oh yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean think about it. You didn't have vitamin C, people will get scurvy. That's like where scurvy came from. It's so important for the health of your body.
Speaker 3: I only think about it when it comes to being like, oh, I got a cold. I'm sorry vitamin C for just booty calling you when I'm sick. Here is Carl asks semi serious question. When will I doctors get equipment that can automatically detect what your vision is so you don't have to go through those nerve wracking questions about which is better.
Speaker 4: So number one, good news, Carl, we already have it.
Speaker 3: What Yeah, I had to go through this two days ago.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the problem. It's not as accurate. So we use that as a starting point and then we fine tune it. Okay, so go on a machine that will spit out your what it thinks is your exact prescription for your glasses. It's going to be pretty close to perfect.
Speaker 2: Whoa.
Speaker 4: So sometimes you'll do that and you put that in the little machine which call four opter where we do the one and two and you don't have to make any changes and it's right on the money. Wow. But sometimes you do yes.
Speaker 3: Okay, So Brianna Fauss wants to know what is happening when you're saying better one, better two? And also for me, and I thought I was the only person bout this way, but every single time, I'm like, what if I'm saying the wrong thing?
Speaker 4: And I can tell Yeah, so one or two. What we're doing is we're comparing two lenses, so we're flipping little dials inside that machine. So basically we're just playing hot and cold. That's what we're doing. Yeah, we're going higher and lower with the numbers till we kind of get to where we know you are. And if you think you're wrong, we double check. Oh, you don't have to worry. So yeah, so you're not gonna I mean, if you're like really really bad at it, you could screw it up. But ninety nine percent of people like you say one and then we test it again and then you say two. We're like, okay, this person needs like some triple checks or rouble checks.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So if you know, sometimes we'll see what's called going around in circles on the dial, So we'll be spinning the dial and you'll go right past where you started and you'll just keep going, and we know, Okay, this person needs a little more help to figure out where their trupbscription is because they're struggling to tell the difference between these numbers.
Speaker 3: So essentially, if you're like a train wreck about it, they'll discreetly keep asking without you knowing.
Speaker 4: So you know, we do things to figure all that out so you don't need to stress about it because we know that it's not as easy as as it should be.
Speaker 3: Do you ever see a certain temperament that's worse at making that call?
Speaker 4: No, not the temperament. I think the older you are, the harder it is. Sometimes.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's so scary. Every time I'm like, what if I just was spacing and gave them the wrong answer.
Speaker 4: It's the worst case scenario. Your glasses an't right, And there we make them like Okay, I know, I know, it's not the end of the world.
Speaker 3: And then sometimes I'm like, am I there's this little part of me. That's like it did I say it wrong? And I'm going to offend them and they're gonna know.
Speaker 4: What's worse is when I go one or two and the patient goes yes, which happens all the time, all the time, all the time.
Speaker 3: No, you're like, it is a binary question, but it's not a true of all. Yeah, Zach Marta Lucci asks, is it true that your eyeballs are the same size throughout your whole life?
Speaker 4: It is not?
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Okay, so your eyes do grow over the first few years of your life. They're pretty much fully grown at some point in your childhood. Okay, but yeah, they definitely grow after your born.
Speaker 3: But apparently we are more likely to take care of a baby if it looks like it has big eyes because it's cutter.
Speaker 4: That's probable.
Speaker 3: I believe that, you know, why are babies with glasses the best?
Speaker 4: I think anytime you see something that's out of the norm of like what you're expecting, it's just adorable, Like a dog with glasses would be adorable.
Speaker 3: I mean, once again, doggles dot com killing game. Aki wants to know why is looking at the sun a bad idea? Is it worse to look at the sun during a solar eclipse? Are we just looking at the sun more during a solar eclipse?
Speaker 4: So it's easier to look at a sun during a solar eclipse because it's not as strong feeling, but the light rays hits you just as hard. So that's the problem with the solar eclipse. Normally, if you try to look at the Sun, it's going to really hurt and you're gonna turn away. So it's really really bad for the eyes. Like looking at the Sun for a few seconds can blind you. Oh and it literally just torches the center of your your phobia. They're center of your retina where you have like this really dense layer of rotten cones where you can see everything, So you lose like just the center of your vision. You wouldn't go blind completely, but the center of your vision would be torched. Yeah, So what ends up happening obviously during a eclipse is everyone's like, oh, let's look at the sun, and then people try to look at it, and because it's not as bright feeling, you look at it even harder and that can cause problems. And then people buy glasses on Amazon. They don't realize our counterfeit and then look at the sun and damage their eyes that way too. Oh and then you had like, you know, videos of the president staring up at it without glass at all, which was hilarious.
Speaker 7: Oh god, even the president saw it. But in a move that is not a complete surprise. He looked directly at the sun without any glasses. Perhaps the most impressive thing any president's ever done.
Speaker 3: So that was a real clip from Shoot what network was it? Where are my notes?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was Fox News. Right, he's that strong, strong.
Speaker 4: It's impressive. Impressive.
Speaker 3: Sterristrated into the sun when told not.
Speaker 4: To true, that's true, he showed us. Oh god.
Speaker 3: Hillary Maser wants to know why do some newborn's eyes change color in the first few months. Is it always blue to brown or can other things happen?
Speaker 4: So it's usually blue to something darker, Okay, But essentially it comes back to the mount of melanin in the in iris. So they just still growing melanin and producing melanin when they're a baby. My son came out with blue eyes and they're they're kind of like a brown and hazel, but still little blue. They've definitely changed eight months old and they've changed oh, crazy.
Speaker 3: So they're just you're just read you're populating it with melanin.
Speaker 4: As you grow exactly.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't know that, Ariel Bell wants to know. I always get these painful styes in my eyes. What's about, she.
Speaker 4: Asks, Sure, So that's a good question, very common. So we have these little glands in our eyelids called the Mybomian glands, which we talked about earlier a little bit when we talked about dry eyes. But basically oil comes out of those glands and sits on top of your tiers. So your tears have layers, and the oil is the outer layer that kind of protects them from the world, so your tears don't evaporate. So you know, we all remember from cooking, oil and water don't mix. So the oil is there is like the final barrier for your tears to protect them. Oh, so that oil comes from your eyelids because it's kind of on the outer part of your eye. Those oil glands can get plugged and when that happens, they back up with oil and the form of stye. So it's basically just a ball of that oil that's just kind of formed and gotten stuck in there and can't drain out. So the number one way to treat that is heat. So if you feel that starting, put hot conferences on your eyes like crazy, the more the better and give it a chance to kind of melt that stuff out so we can drain out a little bit.
Speaker 3: Oh, that'll help it. Cut it a little hole. Correct, Why do they get plugged in the first place.
Speaker 4: So again, we think it comes back a lot to some dietary issues as well. But some people are just it just the enzymes that live kind of on your eyelid aren't doing what they're supposed to do. All the proteins on the eyelid aren't doing what they're supposed to. And again we know that it's staring at a screen all day where it makes this more likely. Some people have bacteria that lives on their eyelashes that grow way more than they're supposed to, or then get little mites on their eyelashes that grow all sorts of gross stuff. But that stuff all causes inflammation, which causes that to happen.
Speaker 3: Do you ever see mites on people's eyelashes or are they so you see them?
Speaker 4: Well, you don't see like the literal bug crawling around okay, but you know what they look like. They look like little giant clumps of dandruff, like in a little cylinder on the base of the eyelash. Really yeah, if you took them and put them under a microscope, you see the little bugs. But we know what it is when we see it, and it's pretty common. It's very common.
Speaker 3: I love that we're never alone. Like you have mites just hanging tough out.
Speaker 4: Your entire gut is just filled with bacteria that are with you all the time.
Speaker 3: I know you're never alone. We've gotten a lot of these, which is awesome. Hillary Blake wants to know. Was there anything in your tree training that stood out for you, like gave you that Yep, this is what I'm here for a moment.
Speaker 4: Definitely. I think the best thing about ophthalmology is when you take someone who can't see and you make them see again. The happy feely story here. So I was a second or third year in my training as a resident, and I did cataract surgery on this woman and we have her in the office the day after her surgery to take her patch off. So we sent her home with a patch over her eye, and she had really bad vision. I think she was legally blind from her cataracts, if I remember correctly, and sitting in the exam room with her, you take off her patch and she starts crying and I'm like, well, what's this is something wrong? Like what's going on? And I'm like, are you okay? And she's like, I've never seen my grandson's face before.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, yeah right.
Speaker 4: And like seriously, I was like, this is the best. This is why I'm doing this, Like nothing felt better than that. And I still have those experiences today. I have people that just like come in so happy because they can see again. And that's the best part about being an eye doctor is you can literally, with a ten minute surgery, take someone from blind to having normal vision.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's just like I can just already picture the montage of moments that you could put together to just make people ball their faces.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: Definitely one more question, because I know I'm peppering you with a million, but this is a question that we got from Collette Ayers, Melissa Cowan, Dan Engler, Bob Carlson, Tom Tarmo, twicken On, Kira Lichfield. So many people are like, what are floaters? Why do we get them, should we be concerned about them? Give us the scoop on floaters.
Speaker 4: So sometimes you should be concerned about them, but most of the time, no, thankfully. So a floater is just a little piece of the gel inside of your eye causing a shadow. So our eyeball is big, and it has to be filled with something to stay you know, big, but otherwise it would just deflate if it didn't have anything inside of it. Weird, So yeah, like if an I has really really low pressure, it can actually kind of get a little mushy. And if it's a really really got high pressure, like from glaucoma for example, it'll feel really firm. So again we need something to fill that space to hold it from deflating. So there's a thick gel inside there. As we get older, it kind of breaks apart. It becomes more watery, so you can think of it like a kind of a thick jelly. And then as we get older, it becomes more and more watery, and so little clumps of it break apart, and those clumps cast shadows onto your retina where you see light. So it light comes into your eye and there's a little stringy, floaty thing inside of that gel where a little piece of the gel broke apart and it casts a shadow, which is what you're seeing. And then as we get older, you can get the big floater or a big series of floaters. And that's because that jelly when we're younger is like really thick and attached to the wall of your eye, and it detaches from the wall of your eye at some point as we get older.
Speaker 3: So it's pretty normal unless it's not. So if you start to see like Rando disco lights and you are not in a disco called the doctor.
Speaker 4: And so if you see like flashbulbs go off in the corner of your eye and as a giant new sea of floaters, you need to get checked because you may have a tear in your retina which could lead to a full detachment.
Speaker 3: Mary m and also Anna M McDavid asked, what's the deal with detached retinas? Why do they happen? Can they be prevented?
Speaker 4: Sure? So, a detached retina is think of the retina like wallpaper and wallpaper. If you get water behind it, it's going to detach, right, It's gonna kind of pull off the wall. So inside the eye, the retina's attached to the wall of the eye and it's held in place by that gel, the vitreous gel, And as the vitreous pulls on it, it can cause a tear. And if that tear forms, fluid gets behind it, and just like your wallpaper, with water going behind the wallpaper can pull it off the wall. If water goes behind the retina, it separates it off from the wall of the eye and it detaches. So if we see a hole or a small tear, we laser it closed. So we put like a tack it down with a little ring of laser to hold it in place.
Speaker 3: Whoa, God, that's crazy. You can just shoot a laser and be like, all right, I glued it back.
Speaker 4: Yep, you're literally just tacking down the retina with lasers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like lasers in your eyeballs. Is like, it's it's crazy that this is the world that we live in.
Speaker 4: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: So I mean, what now, okay, what about your jobs sucks? Like, what is the worst thing about your job?
Speaker 4: The overhead dealing with doom, with insurance companies, pharmacies, all of those things that are just not why anybody went into medicine. So it's just such a pain no matter what your political beliefs are affiliations. Even if you think we have the best system in the world, the worst system in the world, it sucks.
Speaker 3: So we talked about how shitty the business side of medicine and insurance was for like seventeen more minutes. But you know, episodes can only be so long, and I don't want to make any of you shed any psychic tears. Okay, what is the best thing about being ophthalmologist?
Speaker 4: The best thing is just helping people see you again. Honestly, it's amazing when somebody comes into your office and they come back to see you and they're better. I mean, it's like any feel of medicine. When you can make someone better in a tangible way, it's awesome. But the instant gratification of having people come to me every day happy because I made an immediate impact in their lives is awesome.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for fixing so man new people's.
Speaker 4: VISI oh, I love to do it. You need to thank me. I thank them.
Speaker 3: I hope I am never under your knife, but if I have to be under a knife in my eyeballs, I will let you know.
Speaker 4: If you want those trigiums. Remove. You know where to find me?
Speaker 3: Can I should I get them cut off?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: You don't need to get them cut off?
Speaker 3: At what point?
Speaker 4: Just because they're there, you don't need them remove. You get them removed when they're like causing severe irritation or blurring your vision.
Speaker 3: They look bad?
Speaker 4: No, they're barely noticeable.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: I only know they're there because I'm an eye doctor.
Speaker 3: Oh God, thank you for being on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm a pleasure. It's been It's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: My favorite ophthalmologist.
Speaker 4: Oh I am I the only one you know?
Speaker 3: Yes, but you're my favorite. Okay, So to gently stalk your new favorite ophthalmologist. If you're in the LA area, you have an eye ish, you can find him at acuityigroup dot com. I'll put the link in the show notes. You can call if you are you ready for this? Dad, pun? Get this their phone number one eight hundred eight nine eight twenty twenty. I'm literally proud of him for that pun of a phone number, like way to go. You can also google doctor Reid Waynus. His YELP comes right up. I'll link in the show notes too, So take care of your eyes. Don't be afraid of them. And if yours don't work so great or at all, I'm really sorry. And if they work even a little bit, well, ding dang boy howdie, that's something to appreciate. So if you're having any kind of bad day, just I don't know, take a sec like, pick a sense, whether it's vision or hearing or smell, and just go, whoa dude? That works? And I'm just a big lump of bones and water and carbon molecules who experiences stuff and has secret thoughts and eats bananas and gets to dream. So that's cool. Senses are cool, whichever one's you have. Let's appreciate them, and remember ask smart people suba questions because they have incredible crazy stories and no question is actually stupid. And our time here is short, so whatever now. Thank you to Aaron Talbert and Hannah and River Lippo for moderating the very great group of folks in the Facebook group. And special things go to Gauge Martin this week, who posted something in the Facebook group asking we didn't cover the HIV AIDS epidemic and last week's epidemiology episode. And I read that and like literally hit my own forehead being like, oh my god, I'm so sorry. So I just want to say I'm so so sorry that we didn't. That was a huge oversight on my part. I had a Patreon question selected about it, but we went too long in the interview and I rushed the rapid fire. So I'm so sorry I didn't address it in an aside because HIV awareness and research is a cause I've been committed to personally, my omitting it really disappointed me. I really fucked that up there. Thank you Gage for being so cool and asking and we had a really nice chat about it on Facebook Messenger. Anyone can check out this podcast will Kill Youse episodes on HIV and AIDS. They're well researched and great. Also on Instagram, I posted a photo of the CDC's tick laden muffin and y'all lost your shit just barfing in the comments And for that, I am not really sorry. I'm just not did it because I loved you. Be careful of Dick's. Also, thank you Bonnie Dutch Happy birthday, and Shannon Feltis for helping run the merchsite ologiesmerch dot com. Thank you as always to the Man the Mustache, Stephen Ray Morris for editing these episodes together. I would be screaming into the void were it not for him. Nick Thorburn of the band Islands wrote and performed the theme music, And if you listen to the very very end of the show, you know I tell a secret at the end of each episode and this is both relevant and timely and kind of gross. But literally, I'm writing and recording this episode. I wake up with a stye in my eye. I haven't had one, and I swear to God like a decade, and I was like, are you fucking kidding me with this? I episode? So I looked in my super upclose mirror, the one that is like horrifyingly informative, and then I had to take a cue tip and kind of like swab at it. Very gratifying, but also really bizarre timing, like, is this how manifesting? Were works? Did I use the secret to get an eye pimple? What is life? Okay?
Speaker 4: Bye?
Speaker 3: Bye? Pacodermatology, hobbiology or doo zoology, lithology and technology, meteorology and paradology, anthology, zeriology, selenology.
Speaker 1: Not the first, not the first?
Speaker 4: Ah, I love my eyes eyes? Oh no,