Speaker 1: Hey, Carl here, we're on a mission to find new fans of the show. I mean, where else can you get real life comedy and horror in one podcast. You can do your part by leaving us a review on iTunes, Spotify or wherever you get Security this week. Also, you can get an ad free feed by becoming a five dollars a month patron. Go to Patreon dot Security this week dot com and sign up, and don't forget Discord. Discord dot Security this week dot com. Lots of good stuff happening there. Yeah, I think that's it. So on with the podcast. Do you guys have autocorrect on your phones or do you turn it off?
Speaker 2: I think I still have it all minds on still unfortunately, Yeah, it's become my worst enema. Glad to hear it. You're putting in the wrong place, car O.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to Secure Al this week. I'm Carl Franklin, that's Dwayne Laflott and Patrick Hines, and we have a whole bunch of stories today, so let's get through them. Number one, the Register says Oracle drops almost fifteen hundred security patches like it's the new normal. Slow week, the era of AI bug hunting is here, so defenders will simply have to adapt to busier workloads.
Speaker 2: This sucks, and it's true. So here's the deal. Take really really really large organizations, Microsoft, Oracle, you know, anybody, anybody who's been creating software for the last I don't know, three decades. Right, there's probably just a small bit of technical debt in there. Yeah, just a little bit, right, just like technical bankruptcy exactly. Just Hey, there's bugs in here that we're hoping nobody will ever find or that they don't even know about. You know, Windows has a gajillion of them, right, right, So this is this is going to be the normal. Right, We're starting to see the harnesses and the pipelines on artificial intelligence exploitation discovery be very very sophisticated and very very good. And and you know, Oracle now running these pipelines. I think they had said this was a Mythos pipeline, but I can't remember. But against their you know, against their own code. Yeah, they're going to find thousands of issues. I think I think the part of glass Wing, yeah, I think they were. But so it's not a surprise. And Oracles like listen, you know, you know the registers. Yeah, the register's like okay, like you know this. The thing that sucks about this is the poor administrators who now have to apply this patch, test it, make sure it actually works, and roll it out patches four nine of them.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's smoke testing. Let's be let's be realistic. All they're doing is saying does it still open? Yeah, they're not testing functionality. It probably covers seventy percent of the surface here area of the code.
Speaker 2: Right, and then you say to yourself, well, what's the risk of doing well, first off, if you did ten a day, it still would take you years. But what's the risk of of you know, not applying those patches right right now? You're you're in that. I don't know, there's there's all these patches are out now. Practice. I guarantee you, you know, I guarantee you in a short order, there are going to be attackers who have already weaponized each and every one of these exploits. Yeah, yeah, what's that?
Speaker 3: What's the name of that website is zero day dot com, zero day clock, zero oi clock dot com. It's they're talking about hours from when vulnerability becomes known to when it becomes attacked.
Speaker 2: Once they have a patch, it's known.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the AI and and can reverse engineer it pretty pretty easily.
Speaker 2: Now you might say, well.
Speaker 3: There they're guardrails against that open weights and there's you know, tricks in the trade and.
Speaker 2: All sorts of you're adorable. That's adorable.
Speaker 1: I remember guardrails. Uh we couldn't ask chat GPT how to make the Maltov cocktail and unless that. It was my grandmother's recipe and she used to read it to me every night before bed.
Speaker 2: She was from Malta. That's where Maltav cocktails come from. Uh so yeah, yeah, the zero dey clock is slays. I remember when, gosh, what was it, I don't know, a year ago, all those guardrail companies were like the evaluations on them were insane. Now people are like, we can't protect it anyways.
Speaker 1: Really. Yeah. So there's there's going to be a theme woven throughout all of these stories, I think, and maybe not all of them, but most of them are kind of bs.
Speaker 2: We're doomed. That's that's the theme. Well, this is is a little bit of.
Speaker 3: The blarnie, the exaggeration, right, that needs to be understood. I think that's the way, let's put it nicely, like.
Speaker 1: This story about Oracle, it's actually good news. It is. Yeah, yeah, so it's.
Speaker 2: Not, and that's why we opened with it. It's all downhill from here, people. Yeah, that's all right.
Speaker 1: Next one, Shiny Hunters data leaks fuel two thousand dollars sextortion email scam.
Speaker 2: Shiny Hunters, I've never heard of them, who were they?
Speaker 1: I've never heard of sex stortion, but I'm going to start using that word.
Speaker 2: In every story. Extortion. So the Shiny Hunters. We all know the Shiny Hunters. They've been in the news several times. They are super active. But that the interesting thing about this one is it it kind of tries to call this the Shiny Hunters out. It's really a data leak from them specifically, So they leaked some data online. Their typical tactic is like, listen, you know, Verizon, we have all this data we stole from you, and if you don't pay us, we're going to leak that data online. Right, So it happened, right, they leaked some data online. I'm not saying it was verse and I'm just saying this sort of their normal tactic. Some entrepreneur picked it up that leak of email address and whatnot, and decided I can make a quick buck on this and started sending out emails to the people in that list saying, hey, you know your data was in a breach and we have access to your phone and we've turned on your cameras. Yeah, and we caught you being naughty, caught you doing things you shouldn't be doing on sites you shouldn't be visiting it, and blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: They're really only getting the guilty conscience crowd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Yeah, although I will tell you, Patrick, I can't tell you how many times I've had people call me up in a panic and go, oh my god, I just got this thing, and I think they know. I'm like, all right, first off, you.
Speaker 1: Know everybody knows exactly.
Speaker 3: First off, how's Grandpa?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Patrick, So I needless to say, Yeah, this is this is just a this is another social engineering manipulation. Yeah, trying to steal two thousand dollars in bitcoin from as many people as they possibly can.
Speaker 3: So how hard is it to do? What they said? Just based on So basically they say, oh, we got your email address, and then we suddenly got you into your email and then we suddenly fished you.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, not a thing. I mean, it's possible, all right, you could do it.
Speaker 3: If I had your email address, I could send you a phishing email. But hook in the phone is difficult.
Speaker 2: Sure, if you have my email address, you could send me a fishing email. Getting on the phone is hard, and not only getting on the phone, but then getting access to video, like you actually the camera. I mean, listen, we all have those those fears, right like, oh geez, people are watching me over my camera. I will tell you hardware vendors are. It's one of the things they worry about too. And there's a reason. There's those lights on the camera and a lot of them are hardwired too. When the power of the camera fires up, it turns that led on and you see it, right, there's not really an easy way to bypass those things. So you know, for them to turn on your camera and turn on your microphone and not have you notice it. It's it can be done. Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 1: It has been done, hasn't it.
Speaker 3: It has even just getting to the point where you can do it, even if without the like worrying about not being discovered is a pretty big task, it's a pretty big lift.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, And a lot of times, I'll tell you as a guy who's designed rats for mobile devices.
Speaker 3: Like remote access trojans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so where we've tried to get something installed on somebody's phone that would hide in the background and fire up the camera and fire up the mic and listen and blow blahah whatever. There's all sorts of things that happen where like if you fire up the microphone, you'll hear an audible thing or something along those lines. So's if there's background tasks doing these things. It's not as easy as you would think. Let's just put it that way. Is there a zero day you could invent to do this? Yeah? Absolutely, They're not inventing a zero day so that they can watch you on some site you shouldn't.
Speaker 1: So when the fear mongering started about that they can watch you through your video camera, laptops started coming with a little slide over the camera.
Speaker 2: Yep, right, we used to give those away. Oh yeah we did. Yeah, I mean honestly, like even the camera I use for the podcast here, it has I can I can twist yeah too, the bezel and it has it has one of those Yeah. Privacy filters to that.
Speaker 1: It all right, So okay, next story, hijackers hijack hotel Wi Fi DNS to steal Microsoft three hundred and sixty five accounts. And I would just like to say that sucks to be you because I have a Mai Fi that I used everywhere I go, right hotel, anytime I'm out, That's what I use.
Speaker 2: That's a great solution.
Speaker 3: A cheaper solution is usually a VPNY and a lot of times you can get a VPN through, like if you have a higher end firewall router, you might be a dv even VPN through it as a feature. But there's lots of different options for getting VPNs right, and that's that's would solve this problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think this story is like, you know, extra extra public Wi Fi's can be dangerous. Yeah, exactly, like I get it. In this particular case, they say, obviously, you know, hackers were within Wi Fi range of a hotel and they were able to get access to the Wi Fi that's provided to guests. Okay, that's not super hard. You usually get the password and it's usually something stupid, and.
Speaker 1: They could look up what the DNS server.
Speaker 2: Is yep, and then they connected to the to the router, and it says there was a weak authorization and authentication control, which probably means default username and password of admin admin. And then they changed the DNS.
Speaker 1: Or a lot of hotels will just have an open guess network that has no encryption.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, absolutely, but that's fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you shouldn't have your router's admin interface on that network.
Speaker 2: No, well hell no, yeah, exactly right. But that's what's going on here. So that's what happened in this case is like, okay, they gained access to the router, they changed the DNS to point it to one of their own malicious ones, which then re routed all the users who went to office to try to go to office, you know through sixty five website to their own malicious one that could steal credential. So okay, I, like I said, I get it, Carl. You know using a Mai Fi, which for those of you don't well may not even be in the United States. You know, my Fi is small little device that we have in here in the United States is a cellular access point, a hotspot.
Speaker 1: It's like when you put your phone in tether mode or you.
Speaker 2: Know, in share yeah, exactly, share connection yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's a dedicated device.
Speaker 2: And for Patrick, like Patrick has you know, high end firewalls at his house, there are plenty of these little you know, either VPN devices. I know Unify has one, Fordet has them, firewall that has one, forda Net has one. Whatever. There's all these tiny little like hardware devices. You can literally just plug into your hotel room and will connect to the hotel Wi Fi and it will VPN automatically out to your house, so all your traffic comes off your home. So there's there's definitely solutions for this.
Speaker 3: I mean, there was even tails that you can use if you're really paranoid the government's chasing you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that that's kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yep, tinfoil hats. So I have questions for you, either of you. Uh If I go to say, my local stop and shop and they have a free Wi Fi for the guests, right, and you're brought to a page where you have to click a checkbox and agree the portal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, captive portal.
Speaker 1: A captive portal, that's right? Is that any more secure than something that's just completely open with no password?
Speaker 3: I mean no, if it's the page is even presented by a legitimate Yeah, it's not, because I can put up a device that'll show you a captive portal and capture your information.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it's not. I mean it's it's open. It's an open network that a.
Speaker 1: Lot of hotel wifis work like this too. You basically go to a portal, you put in your room number in your last name. Yep. Is that encrypted?
Speaker 2: No? No, I mean it can be. It could be SSL back end to the router. But think about it this way. That router that captive portal's most likely not SSL because if it was, they'd have to keep renewing the certificate over times. So most of the time they phone it in and go, whatever, you're logging in our network, right, smart?
Speaker 1: So a smart developer would use that last name and room number and make a key out of it and use that right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But but they don't do that.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: For the most part, it's hey, verify against the database that there is a username and this room number so that we can give them the right access to internet. And sometimes it's redirect them to a pay portal to pay for internet or no, you're a Marriotte super user, Fine, you get access or whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, did I did I tell you about my nightmare with that? I don't think so, I don't know. I went on a vacation with my wife and we went down the East coast down to Baltimore Impact, and I think it was in New Jersey maybe that we went to this hotel and I got the Wi Fi and it was dog slow. I think I told you this. Then I had to keep clearing a cash or deleting oh yes, deleting the network and then I and then it would spin up again and I would enter my room number and all that stuff. But I had to do that every time I closed my computer because it didn't remember it remembered the crappy Wi Fi. I wanted to get on the pay Wi Fi, which was better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it turns out they charged me for every time I did that. Whoa, every time I logged in and said I want the pay thing, there was another twenty dollars charge or whatever. We ended up paying, like, I don't know, two hundred dollars in charges for Wi Fi and you paid it. Well, of course I paid. They took it. Yeah, but we disputed it, and you know, I can't remember if we got anywhere.
Speaker 3: But we say, hey, with that, give us their address.
Speaker 1: We'll get that.
Speaker 2: Hey, Patrick, you guys are like the am I the one who has to say you can't say those things on the air.
Speaker 1: Is that you guys are like this my real names right, No one has my real address. Fine, we're going to pay him a little.
Speaker 3: I can burn that Patrick's pseudonym anytime.
Speaker 1: So anyway, yeah, that's my Okay, that was my question, and thank you for answering it. Let's move on. In Vidia unites tech giants in open Secure AI Alliance for Cybersecurity in a list okay of twenty thirty forty. So let's let's get companies. Let's let's declare this is a sub theme.
Speaker 2: This is great, it's great.
Speaker 3: This is a sub theme. I'm going to burst your bubble. It is a sub theme. This is billion dollar companies tooting their own interests as social goods. Of course, it's so basically, and Vidia is leading the charge.
Speaker 2: And what do they want?
Speaker 3: They want the government to leave their mits off regulating open weight models. Who has the most to gain from an open weight model? In Vidia, they sell the cards that you need that the Kimmi Iree open weight model takes about a million dollars worth of video cards, just video cards to run it. You're not running that on your local desktop or rig No.
Speaker 1: Open weight means you run it on your own hardware, right correct.
Speaker 3: Open weight is basically something that could be downloaded from hugging Face and you can set it up on your own. All these companies have an interest in the proliferation of more implementations. Okay, So the ones that don't have an interest in that, most notably anthropic, have not signed up for this because anthropics like, hey, these companies are mostly training from us, right, they're distilling, they're basically, you know, illegally using our software to train their own software.
Speaker 1: We want charge people to use claude.
Speaker 3: People say, well, oh, the irony because the authors of the books that you scan didn't get that that that privilege. But that aside, it's again it's a it's a profit move. It's not necessarily an open anthropic mode. Philanthropic not anthropy. There was a there was highest level.
Speaker 1: Phil anthrophic that's the CEO of anthropic phil.
Speaker 3: Anthropic basically, it's it's they're trying to say, oh, well, if it's an open weight, you should just keep your mits off it. But if it's a closed weight, then you need to regulate it. That's that's a double standard now, especially since Kimmy and the other open weight model providers are saying theirs is just as powerful and just as good.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, all right, So so I guess we have another sub theme here going on. It's kind of like we're complicated. Things are not what they seem.
Speaker 2: We're layered like onions.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, one more story before we have a break here. The NSA just warned everyone to reboot their routers.
Speaker 2: Oh no, good advice.
Speaker 1: What to do right now?
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks, Okay, I'm going to hit it now. Yeah, right, so this is just standard advice. I mean, we're seeing Actually we'll talk about Fordinette, but we've we've talked about Fordinett a lot. We've talked about TP a link a lot, We've talked about it. There's there's all sorts of routers out there that heck, even earlier this year, if I remember correctly, there were a lot of what they call SOHO routers, which is small office home office routers. What'd you call me that you heard me? You know, that were compromised by Russia and we're being used in a botnet. Yeah, and the FBI actually got court orders where they could log into some of those routers and fix them because there were just so many of them. They were like, you know what, we got to actually try and help here. The problem is a lot of these compromises that we we've been we've seen this year in routers. There's a lot of ways to be persistent for an attacker to stay having access to these devices. So if that's the case, you know, some of them are memory persistence, which means rebooting the device will clear it. So you do you want to just clear the device, make sure there's no h you know, if there's a username and password on your router, make sure you change that password at least once a year. Make sure your routers are always up to date, and you know, reboot it every once in a while. It's a good maintenance anyways, just to reboot it.
Speaker 3: And we've given the advice with your phone, yeah, that you should be rebooting your phone. You should be you know, you should be doing this stuff.
Speaker 1: This is all this is all not news to our listeners, yep, because they're smart, wicked, wicked smart, but so yeah, this is this. I actually have a router that automatically installs updates and reboots, and that's a really good feature to have, especially, you know, if you're that's awesome, busy playing solitaire like me all day?
Speaker 3: Who has time for those fourteen hundred patches?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: No, I don't have an Oracle router, thanks very much. I don't think there is something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so good advice.
Speaker 1: But you knew that, right, Thank you? Tell your parents.
Speaker 3: Mean, we've been talking about this stuff. We're ahead of the NSA, been ahead for years.
Speaker 2: Apparently, that's right.
Speaker 1: All right, on that note, will take a little break, we'll be right back after these very important messages, and we're back. It's security this week. I'm Carl, that's Dwayne and Patrick. Let's talk about this next one from futurism, and it's been all over the news. A whole bunch of people's Claude chats are publicly accessible online and there's some wildly private stuff in there. Oh doesn't that sound tempting? I want to go read it?
Speaker 2: Yeah it does. Yeah. They found things like actual patient record data. They found all sorts of you know, last time there was a leak. They found things like how do I hide a body? And all sorts of weird stuff. Right, so there's wow, there's definitely some interesting conversations going on in here. For the most part, for all of you, I assume and all of our listeners have probably used an LLM at some point, right, have chat, gpt co Pilot, Gemini, Gemini. Nobody uses Gemini but anyways, so if you've used.
Speaker 1: There, you go are Google employee listeners.
Speaker 2: Techno. Nobody at Google listens to this show. So can you imagine if the the threat uh an analyst group at Google was listening to this show, it'd be just amazing.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it would be.
Speaker 2: So any of those chats I'd say probably about a maybe a year ago. There's the little menu up in the top right that you can click on and you can click share, right.
Speaker 3: I think they renamed it to cell phone not cell phone.
Speaker 2: Self phone Yeah, yes, itself or that doesn't make any sense, pone me phone Yeah, And what that does is makes a publicly accessible link for this chat, right, Well, but it's still private, right yeah, you do it on also yeah. Absolutely. The problem is then your your robots, your Google's and your whatever that crawl the Internet. They eventually find these, whether it's you know, somebody clicks on it and has a you know, an add on in their browser or whatever. Right, and yeah, exactly, once it gets found, it gets indexed, and once it gets indexed, it's public. Anybody on Google can search for it and just do that, do a Google dork for it and find it. Excuse me, you heard me a Google dork.
Speaker 3: Long story we'll talk about. Do you guys know Ron White, the comedian. Oh yeah, so do you ever hear about where he's talked about being thrown out of a bar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's his most famous line ever.
Speaker 3: I was not drunk in public. I was thrown into public.
Speaker 1: I was thrown out of a bar. When I say thrown out, literally picked up by the scruff of the neck and thrown out into the street.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: My favorite line is I don't know how many of it was gonna take they were going to use to beat my I didn't know how many it was going to take to beat my ass, but I knew how many.
Speaker 2: They were going to use. He's a riot. Oh, so just be careful, coming back to the story, just be just be careful if you share something as a public link. Realize it's now a public link, right, you do have the ability to pull those shares back.
Speaker 3: So occasionally did the word public not like give it away?
Speaker 2: I know? Right?
Speaker 1: This falls into line with the hype theme of yes, these stories this week, and you know, and most of our listeners are like, yeah, duh. Right, So the next one, our old friend Fortinett is back in the news. SISA warns of fort forty forty OS. Al said forty as for Fortinet forty OS vulnerability exploited in attacks. Again, so is this serious or is this a kind of a yawner?
Speaker 2: This is a little bit of a yawner. This is this is a reminder of wayback when. So if you take a look at really, if we break down this article, the exploit is CVE twenty twenty five six eight six eight six, So that means this exploit was you know, given it CVE number last year. Right, how many times on this year we talked about Fortinet and having to update it because there were issues and bypasses in that sort of too many times? Right, So that's number one. Number one, you should already be patched to this. Number two. What they're saying is even patched, there is a way for attackers to maintain persistence. So if you had if you had patched and had no indicators to compromise, you'll probably find you took the suggestions, you patched, you rotated credentials, you're good. If you had just patched, didn't rotate credentials, didn't actually go in and verify that there were no indicators a compromise. There's what SISA is saying is there have evidence on Fortinet devices currently that they were patched, but beforehand the attackers were setting up persistence where they could gain access to the devices. Again. So here again, if you took our advice and patched, great, But the full advice obviously is go patch cycle your credentials and then look for indicators to compromise. In this case, this is a what they call a sim link manipulation, but it'll be in the art.
Speaker 3: Great example of why you want to be patching early not late. Yes, because the workload just goes up yep, and there are instances where it's like you can't reliably get them secure again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point, Patrick. I've had plenty of customers come to me after a breach and go Okay, we removed the bad thing the way they got in. We could now and I'm like, I know three billion ways I would hide in these systems that you'd never find me. So no, they're like, what do we do? And I'm like, I don't know, burn it down, like rebuild it from scratch.
Speaker 1: Sometimes that's the answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, it's not an answer they like or usually can even physically take.
Speaker 2: So they're just living dangerously and they're like, well, can we just restore from backup? Yeah? Great, when do you do you know exactly when it was compromised, because you're gonna have to restore prior to that and make sure there wasn't somebody already in the system. So yeah, it's just it's a it's a hard task.
Speaker 1: So just as an aside, I'm looking at my recording in Riverside. Riverside FM is what we used to record, and we can see each other. We don't use it the video, but and I see this blinking red light on the wall in back of my guitar, and I'm like, what the heck is that? And I'm staring and then I see, oh, you got a blinking red light, and you've got a blinking red light in the top left corner. It just means I'm recording, but I have red walls, and this is a And I said, when did I put anything on the wall that blinks off?
Speaker 2: It's the snipers, Carl, you got a joke. It's a.
Speaker 3: It's a it's a it's a laser red finder that they just haven't decided to take you out yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, waiting.
Speaker 1: Well, at least it's not on my Forehead's exactly.
Speaker 2: You're just going to hit the gibbs in on the wall. Uh.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's one for Patrick claude A. I just cracked a post quantum test scheme and found a faster seven round AES attack. Should we be con certain? Patrick?
Speaker 3: So, so they're talking about Hawk, which is one of the contenders to be a post quantum cryptography stalwart h A w K Yeah Hawk, not Houktua Hawk.
Speaker 2: Uh and wow, there's a callback, So it's it's a deal.
Speaker 3: I don't know that it's a big deal. So I like lattice based crystal used to be Crystal's, kiber Crystal's the lithium now mL KIM and m l dsl or d s A. Those are the ones that if they were cracked, I'd be I'd be freaked out. I don't think they're gonna be. This is not like the primary way that we were going to defend against postquonum cryptography. It was a candidate and and maybe it was close to the end, but there's a reason it didn't become a recommendation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was going to say, so nobody uses it. Yeah. According to the article, Hawk is the only only lattice based scheme among the nine candidates that NIST advanced to the third round of its additional post quantum Digital Signature Process additional YEP in May twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: The first round has already been done, and that the two I mentioned are among them, and Sphinx are the ones that are the ones.
Speaker 2: But here's here's what I will say. The Anointed it this is very much a hype grabbing title. It's you know, it talks about how Claude AI just cracked post quantum test schemes and found faster seven round as attacks. And if we break that down, so Hawk, the Hawk that was broken quote unquote, and really all they did was speed up some of the recovery of the keys. Was Hawk two fifty six. Hawk two fifty six was never designed to be used. It is a very light version of the algorithm, the post quantum algorithm. It's like saying, you broke death, right exactly, nobody ran Yeah, so nobody uses this in ever and no one would ever use this in production. HOWK five twelve and HOWK ten twenty four, Yeah, absolutely right, used in production. And that's still like on the order of to crack it, even using with this this new algorithm, it's on the order of the heat death of the sun in time, right, So well, it's intriguing but not that interesting.
Speaker 3: And even to do this, how much did they spend Oh my god, one hundred thousand dollars in tokens?
Speaker 2: They just yeah, they decided just to throw one hundred thousand dollars in tokens at it, which one does when they own the plant. So yeah, sure, why not.
Speaker 1: So if if sometime in the future, Patrick, we have something to be worried about with hacking quantum, you're gonna tell us.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, right, I'll tell you car all.
Speaker 1: Right, well you tell everybody. I'm sure, no, just you nope.
Speaker 2: And then on top of that, but hold on, on top of that they also talk about breaking the seven rounds of AE S one twenty eight. Okay, well you know that's not a postal question from World of Warcraft exactly, you need the seven rounds crab. Yeah, so real A S one twenty eight uses ten rounds, ten rounds of encryption and you know, mucking up the running it through the algorithm seven rounds is there's a reason they used ten rounds, right, because it's exponentially more secure every round they go through. Okay, so seven rounds is so crippled there again, nobody would ever use it in production. Right And even there they said, oh my god, it was two to eight hundred times faster to crack it. It still doesn't really matter because at that point, yes, they found a faster way to manipulate the keys, but yet again in an algorithm that nobody would ever use anyway. So you know, I hate stories like this. I think it's I think it's interesting. And sure, if you spent one hundred thousand dollars you might get some cool, interesting things that you can't do anything with, and this is one of them.
Speaker 3: They're trying to post it as like, well, then look what we can do. But it's kind of a parlor trick. Yeah, right, is the problem bs, As I said, see the truth, see the truth in it?
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, yeah, I mean all the things they found. Yeah, absolutely, But we.
Speaker 3: Should pay attention to it. But it shouldn't be put forward to discredit an algorithm.
Speaker 1: Yet. It is not black and white. It is one of the fifty shades of gray. Just one, just one. I don't know which one.
Speaker 2: We won't tell you which one. I can't name any of the fifty shades of gray. I don't know. I don't know that. I guess I'm not color forward.
Speaker 1: Probably better off for it. I'll beg Hacker news says Russian hackers. I just wanted to say that Russian hackers exploit Microsoft OWA flaw to keep mailbox access after credential rotation.
Speaker 2: Hold on, well, I clutch my pearls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh no, so w A is.
Speaker 3: Outlook web access? Yeah, it's great, it's the web interface. It's it was miles ahead of the world that use technologies heretofore unseen on the Internet, and it was great and now it's like old technology. And I believe Dwayne said that this was on prem Is that true? Yeah, this is on prem only, So if you're running your own exchange server. So the three companies that are still doing that, I held on as long as I could, and you can still stopped years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So does that mean you have to have an exchange server on premise?
Speaker 2: You do on premise. Yeah, you have to have an exchange of ron prem And it's a manipulation of WA. It's an interesting attack.
Speaker 1: Look, even Richard Campbell doesn't run I know, right, an exchange server.
Speaker 2: And it's when you know, you get it. And he's more sentimental than me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, and it's been ten years since he has run it. Well maybe not, I don't know.
Speaker 3: We stopped around the same time, I think. I think it is to think about it, Tony sixty is ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good god, we're old.
Speaker 2: I think we stopped in twenty, like ten. It's possible we're twelve.
Speaker 1: Are like ten, you're old.
Speaker 2: I wasn't even born then.
Speaker 3: Right, sentient, you're still in the laby Oh wait, I mean born.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have friends that are ten twenty years older than me, and sometimes we get together and talk and they talk about you know, I remember seeing the Beatles shea stadium and said and then another one says, yeah, I remember when Sergeant Pepper's came out, and I was like, yeah, I was one gives me such satisfaction.
Speaker 2: My earliest memory was the moon landing. Wow.
Speaker 3: And the only reason I remember I was three and a half and it was just such a big deal. That is my first actual sharp memory.
Speaker 2: Oh that's impressive. Yeah, you are old and I am quite old.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so what happened? What happened?
Speaker 2: And is it what happened hackers? Yeah, we do this. One's important if you're running it on premise or on prem sure exchange over with an Outlook web access. What hackers discovered isn't novel in that it was a cross site scripting attack. So you inject code into an email, the body of an email, and it runs JavaScript. Right, so woohoo. That's cross site scripting has been around forever. What's novel is how they were able to offuscate it, and it is what's called a half click attack. A half click attack means I don't actually have to click on a link or a button or anything in the page. The moment the render panel pops up and shows you the contents of the email, it runs Wow. So you could just be like scrolling through your email, see something that looks like spam, whatever, delete it, but it's already run. I think we used to call that a drive by.
Speaker 1: We have seen this before, Yeah, with that preview panel in Outlook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, I mean the preview panel is very powerful. But the problem is, you know, even as lockdown as it is, there's still some things you can manipulate here. So they were they would inject JavaScript into the page, it would run, and at that point it now would give access. Interestingly enough, it would change access to your entire mailbox so that everybody in your organization could see your mailbox. So that way, if they had compromised another user's account, they could still gain access to your email. The other thing they did is they infected a local browser storage. Now remember this is Outlook web access. This isn't you opening up you know, the Outlook thick client. So they would infect your local browser storage to run a copy of itself again if it needed to, so every time it would you know, continue to run. And then it also affected the OWA cash offline cash, so that even if you were to the device the laptop and rebuild it, the moment you viewed the site. When the offline cash loaded, it would then reinfect. So that's really kind of the novel thing is there's a three pronged approach here to infect the local storage, infect the browser offlinewa offline webcache, and then also change the server side mailbox permissions. Because changing server side mailbox permissions like doesn't matter what you do on that laptop or that desktop. The permissions are changed, like an administrator literally has to log into Exchange the exchange server and change it. And that's why this one, Yeah, it's novel you should worry about if you're running your on prem exchange server, don't get rid of it.
Speaker 3: Why friends don't let friends run on PREMI exchange rid of it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes no sense to me at this point. Just let Microsoft do what they do and go to off the three sixty five and stop running your own all right.
Speaker 1: So that brings us to our top story this week or last week, AI finds AI agent leaving escape notes for its future versions. Now let me try to summarize this. So Opening I basically, you know, we heard about this breach last week where Opening Eye was the LLM was in the sandbox. They were doing some testing and it discovered a way out by a zero day to the Internet, and then it went and hacked an open source repository.
Speaker 3: It feels like it's a hype story, like, oh, our product is so dangerous powerful.
Speaker 1: All right, well you're right, but before we get there, let's talk about what happened here. So basically, it's saying, you know, hey, I might not need this now, but in the future, I might want to use this to break out of my existing guardrails.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, exactly. So imagine you have an MLLM and it figures out a secret It figures out how to get access to the Internet and an AI, and it knows that standard operating procedures to blow away the AI and restart it. So it says, I want to give myself a jump next time I come back. It's like groundhog Day. But this is how they work. If you could leave yourself a note, what's up right? This is how they work. They always leave Now it's like saying the Shiny Hunters breaking news. The Shiny Hunters use the Internet. Yeah, yeah, it is. This is yeah, So this is a lot of hype in that. It was like, oh my god, here's how I broke out for future me. Yeah, of course, that's how an LLM memory works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Like if you've ever run an LLLM locally, if you ever talked to an LLLM and it's like I don't know who are you and you're like, my name is Dwayne, and then you come back and it's like I don't know who are you? Yeah, Okay, it has no memory. It's getting white between. But most of them, Martine, do.
Speaker 3: You remember let's go back to the ancient history of a couple of years ago, talk about why did we stress prompt injection and why is it no longer talked about because the you basically had to get it working in the prompt or if you had to start over again because it has no memory.
Speaker 2: It's a goldfish, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now they have memory, but they still write a lot down.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah absolutely.
Speaker 3: Now for example, if I like I use a lot of agentic AI. Yeah, and when I have one of my AI air quote companies spun up, the first thing I do is have it build a dashboard. But I don't want to start from scratch, so I say, go to my vault, look for my dashboard dot m D the markup file and implement it. Yeah, and use that as a reference. And that's memory. That's the kind of note they're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, except that so this is normal.
Speaker 1: You didn't write this note. They wrote this note.
Speaker 3: They write all the notes. Yeah, it's just sometimes I direct them to and sometimes they don't.
Speaker 2: Sure exactly. Yeah, Like I'll tell you for I have an AI that I use for different types of analysis, and that's sort of stuff, and it's gotten to the point where it knows what I'm going to ask for and it wrote it writes out a skill. It's like, oh, listen, you know what I know. You're going to tell me put this here, and put this here and do this other thing and create a PDF of this thing. So every time you ask me about, you know, the latest exploit on a thing, right, I know exactly what to do and I didn't ask it to do that. Right. Just after a couple of times of me going through that process, it's like, let me write this down to my memory. Right, So the you know, and memory is one of the things I would argue that has made LMS in the last six months much much more useful, absolutely absolutely right where it can say I know what you're looking for. I remember us talking about this.
Speaker 1: You ask a question of chat GPT about you know, some to get a recommendation, and it will say, knowing what I know about you, right that you are a developer that you like Blazer, that you you know, you like tinkering with stuff that you like audio, would recommend this. And that's like wow, Yeah, it's like a friend that remembered what you talked about six months ago and you're amazed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, now, evil friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, all right, well but that's just the point, right, that's true. That, yeah, that the fact that it left notes for future versions does not give it evil intent. No, And I think that's what people are doing when I mean, anthropomorphizing is one thing, and it's helpful, sure, yep, But you know, to project an evil intent on it, I think is a problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agreed, And it's like it's ironic in that. Yeah. Memory does make an ELM much more useful, and it realizes it too, so tries to remember all the things it found useful as well, not just information about you. And this would be a sound and the standard, the standard memory size that we're seeing advertised with new and again Kimmy Opus five. They all have a million a million token fit memory, which means they can send in a memory of a million tokens. It's costly, but but it gives you all that context.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: One of the tricks is I'm going to say, I'm gonna share a trick. You have a long conversation with Claude or open Ai. Do you at gpt any of those If every time you respond to that thread, it sends all that context back, and you're paying for it.
Speaker 1: You have to tell it to compact it, You're.
Speaker 3: Right, tell it to write an empty file to summarize where we are and how we got here, right, you know, and then you use that to start a new conversation and it saves you a ton of tokens.
Speaker 1: Yep, very true, very true. All right, So we ended up, you know, having fun and scaring people only with the headlines. But when you dig into it that they're not so evil now, right, The.
Speaker 3: World's not ending tomorrow. It's it's going to be another week or so.
Speaker 1: It's going to be fine. Everything's going to be fine.
Speaker 2: It'll be all right, it'll be fine. Envisioned flames and you drink a cup of coffee. Fine, it's fine if.
Speaker 1: Give me a groove tube or Kentucky Fried movie or one of those. Can't remember, but it was a newscast that said world War three, nuclear weapons, New York City and flames film at eleven. All right, y'all, that's what happened last week, and we'll talk about what happened next week on Security this week, Bye bye, bye bye, guys.