Speaker 1: All right, welcome back everyone. Today we're going to be looking at something super important in electronics design, minimizing and exploiting leakage in VLSI design. Oh yeah, you know, like, uh deal, have you ever noticed your phone battery like draining, even when it's just sitting.
Speaker 2: There, happens all the time.
Speaker 1: Turns out that's leakage power in action, and it's something that engineers designing chips have to deal with constantly.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely, we're going to.
Speaker 1: Be taking a deep dive into all that today using this book by doctor Sunil Pikatre. Okay, he and a whole team of researchers really dove deep into the world of low power chip design. Yeah, they really know their stuff, So get ready to explore how those tiny chips use power, the clever tricks engineers use to you know, minimize energy waste, and even some ways that they've learned to actually use leakage to their advantage. It's pretty amazing, kind of counterintuitive, yeah for sure. So when we talk about power consumption in chips, you usually think of dynamic power, right, Yeah, that's the energy it chip uses when it's actively computing. Yeah, exactly, it's doing stuff uh huh. But there's this other thing, this leakage power that we don't always think about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a silent drain on the battery.
Speaker 1: Right, even when a transistor is supposed to be off, that's right, it's still leaking a bit of energy.
Speaker 2: Like a leaky faucet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And you know what, this problem actually gets worse as transistors get smaller.
Speaker 1: Oh really, why is that?
Speaker 2: Well? Think of it like this. As we shrink those transistors down to pack more and more into our.
Speaker 1: Devices, right, trying to get more powerful chips.
Speaker 2: Exactly, the gaps between them get tinier and tinier. Okay, it's like trying to prevent water from seeping through cracks in a dam.
Speaker 1: Right, smaller the gaps, the harder it is.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's like the electrons are finding more ways to sneak through.
Speaker 2: You can think of it that way. Yeah, it's a quantum phenomenon.
Speaker 1: Actually quantum wow called tunneling.
Speaker 2: Electrons can actually tunnel through barriers that, according to classical physics, they shouldn't be able to cross, So they're like teleporting. It's kind of like that. The equation that describes all this can get pretty complex.
Speaker 1: Ill bet.
Speaker 2: But the important thing to remember is that the amount of leakage depends on something called the threshold voltage.
Speaker 1: Okay, the threshold voltage.
Speaker 2: And it's an exponential relationship.
Speaker 1: Exponential, So even a small change in that voltage, yeah, could mean a big difference in leakage, huge difference.
Speaker 2: That's why controlling that threshold voltage is so crucial for designing low power chips.
Speaker 1: Makes sense.
Speaker 2: Historically though, we've been focused on making chips faster and more powerful, right, which often meant lowering that threshold.
Speaker 1: Voltage, which then increases leakage unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Yes, so there's this constant tug of war between performance and power efficiency.
Speaker 1: So how do engineers tackle this leakage problem?
Speaker 2: It's a real challenge.
Speaker 1: Do they like build tiny walls to keep the electrons in?
Speaker 2: Uh huh? Not quite. But they do have some clever strategies, okay, like what Well, one common technique is called mtcms mtcmos.
Speaker 1: What's that stand for?
Speaker 2: Multi threshold cmos. It's basically like putting parts of the chip to sleep when they're not being used.
Speaker 1: Oh, like a power nap for the chip exactly.
Speaker 2: They use high threshold voltage transistors as gatekeepers to shut off power to inactive sections.
Speaker 1: So that drastically reduces leakage in those areas. It does, but I guess there's a trade off there, there is. Waking those sections back up takes little.
Speaker 2: Time, right, so it can slightly impact performance.
Speaker 1: Ah, so you lose a bit of responsiveness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you gain in power savings, gotcha.
Speaker 1: So it's always a.
Speaker 2: Balance, always a balance. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Makes you wonder if there are other ways to reduce leakage without sacrificing performance. Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Engineers have come up with all sorts of techniques like what well, things like designing special low leakage cells, okay, carefully controlling the input signals to the.
Speaker 1: Chip right to minimize the leakage.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and even adjusting the physical length of those tiny transistors.
Speaker 1: Wow, so they're really getting down to the nitty.
Speaker 2: Gritty they are. Each approach has its pros and cons. Of course, it really depends on the specific application and the design constraints.
Speaker 1: I can imagine. It's amazing how much effort goes into managing something as tiny as electron leakage.
Speaker 2: It's really quite impressive.
Speaker 1: I mean, it really shows how crucial power efficiency is in chip design.
Speaker 2: It really is, and you know, it makes you wonder, what's that? What if instead of just trying to minimize this leakage, we could actually use it to our advantage.
Speaker 1: Use it really Yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: The idea behind something called sub threshold circuit design.
Speaker 1: Sub threshold design, what's that all about?
Speaker 2: What's a pretty radical concept. Instead of trying to eliminate leakage by keeping those transistors firmly off right, sub threshold design actually operates the transistors below their threshold voltage.
Speaker 1: Below the threshold, so they're intentionally leaky exactly.
Speaker 2: It might sound crazy, but hear me out. It's a clever way to achieve all for low power consumption, especially when speed isn't the main concern.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm intrigued, but why would you want to do that? I mean, isn't leakage a bad thing traditionally?
Speaker 2: Yes, But in the sub threshold region transistors have some unique characteristics. By operating them at these lower voltages, you can achieve dramatically lower power consumption.
Speaker 1: Interesting, so it's like whispering instead of shouting. You might not be as fast, but you save a lot of energy.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy, and for things like low power sensors or medical implants where battery life is crucial. That energy saving can be a game changer.
Speaker 1: So are there real world examples of this sub threshold design in action.
Speaker 2: Absolutely? In fact, the book we're looking at today features a fascinating case study.
Speaker 1: Oh what is it?
Speaker 2: It's a sub threshold b FSK transmitter chip DFSK.
Speaker 1: What's that?
Speaker 2: It stands for a binary frequency shift keying. It's a method for a wireless communication And they designed this entire transmitter using sub threshold circuits. Wow, they were able to achieve significantly lower power consumption compared to traditional designs.
Speaker 1: That's impressive a wireless transmitter running on leaky transistors. But I'm guessing designing in the sub threshold region comes with its own set of challenges.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right. Transistors in this leaky state are much more sensitive to variations variations like what things like temperature, voltage, even tiny manufacturing differences. Oh wow, it's like trying to build a house of cards on a shaky table. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can see that you need some serious engineering magic to make that work reliably.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And that's what makes these designs so ingenious. They have to come up with clever tricks to keep everything stable.
Speaker 1: So what kind of tricks are we talking about.
Speaker 2: Well, one of their secret weapons is something called plaslas programmable logic arrays. They're like reconfigurable building blocks in the digital part of the circuit. Okay, they could be programmed to perform specific.
Speaker 1: Functions, so they're like logic legos. You can rearrange them to create different circuits.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to think about it. And what makes plas particularly useful in sub threshold design is their predictable structure.
Speaker 1: Right, so even though the transistors are leaky, the overall behavior is still controlled precisely.
Speaker 2: Now. On top of that, they use something called adaptive body biasing to deal with those pesky variations.
Speaker 1: We talked about adaptive body biasing. That sounds pretty high tech.
Speaker 2: What does it do exactly, Well, it's basically a feedback mechanism.
Speaker 1: Feedback.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It constantly adjusts the voltage applied to the transistor's substrate. The substrate it's also called the body of the transistor.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, And.
Speaker 2: By adjusting that voltage, they can compensate for variations in temperature, voltage, and manufacturing.
Speaker 1: So it's like a self tuning system that keeps everything running smoothly.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's pretty ingenious, right it is.
Speaker 1: This is all fascinating stuff. I'm really starting to see how this sub threshold design could be a game changer in electronics.
Speaker 2: It really is a new frontier.
Speaker 1: It makes you wonder, though, what other applications could benefit from these techechniques for minimizing and even exploiting leakage.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a great question. We've talked about the BFSK transmitter, but there's so many other possibilities. For example, have you considered medical implants.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like pacemakers or insulin pumps. Extending the battery life of those could be huge.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it could be life changing. People wouldn't need risky surgeries just to replace batteries, that's right.
Speaker 1: And what about wearable sensors. Those are getting more and more popular these days.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, imagine a smart watch or fitness tracker that never needs charging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be amazing. No more worrying about my watch dying in the middle.
Speaker 2: Level workout, right, And it's not just consumer devices either. Remember we talked about data centers.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, those are massive energy hogs they are.
Speaker 2: And as our reliance on cloud computing grows, their energy consumption is only going to.
Speaker 1: Increase, so sub threshold design could be a key part of making them more efficient.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we could reduce their environmental impact and their operating costs significantly.
Speaker 1: It's incredible to think that something as tiny as a leaky transistor could have such a big impact on a global scale.
Speaker 2: It really highlights the importance of innovation in this field.
Speaker 1: This whole deep dive has been a real eye opener for me. We've gone from this seemingly annoying problem of leakage power to exploring cutting edge techniques that are pushing the boundaries of energy efficiency.
Speaker 2: It's a great example of how challenging conventional thinking can lead to some truly groundbreaking solutions.
Speaker 1: It makes you wonder what other hidden opportunities might be lurking out there in the world of electronics, just waiting to be discovered.
Speaker 2: There are definitely more secrets to uncover.
Speaker 1: Well. If this episode has sparked your curiosity about chips and circuits, I encourage you to dive deeper.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Doctor Cottrey's book is a fantastic resource if you want to explore the technical details in.
Speaker 1: More depth, definitely check it out and Remember, the pursuit of energy efficiency is about more than just extending battery life.
Speaker 2: It's about building a more sustainable future for electronics and reducing our impact on the planet.
Speaker 1: That's a great point. So until our next deep dive, keep those minds curious and those questions flowing. There's always more to learn, always.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So plas they're like, Okay, you can think of them like a grid, and you connect input signals to output signals through through a network of transistors, okay, and by choosing which connections you make, you basically program the PLA.
Speaker 1: Oh so it's programmable, yeah, okay, and.
Speaker 2: It can do all sorts of different logic functions.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like a like a logic lego set, right, you just rearrange the pieces exactly.
Speaker 2: That's a really good way to put it. And what makes plas really well suited for it for the sub threshold design is because they're so structured. Okay, they're predictable, right.
Speaker 1: So even though the transistors are kind of doing their own thing, they're leaky leaky, Yeah, but the PLA as a whole is still like behaving the way it's supposed to.
Speaker 2: Exactly. You need that predictability in sub threscial design makes sense.
Speaker 1: So what about that adaptive body biasing?
Speaker 2: Oh right, yeah, you said it.
Speaker 1: Was like a feedback mechanism.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Does it like have tiny sensors that measure the temperature and voltage?
Speaker 2: Well, not exactly sensors in the traditional sense, okay, but it's it's really quite clever. How it works.
Speaker 1: How does it work? Then?
Speaker 2: So basically, there's a special reference.
Speaker 1: PLA reference PLA, Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like a representative for all the other plas in the circuit, okay, And its delay is constantly being.
Speaker 1: Measured measured against what a reference clock signal, A clock signal, okay.
Speaker 2: And if the delay starts to drift, uh huh, it means something's off.
Speaker 1: So it's like a canary in a coal miner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And there's this thing called a phase detector phase detector which compares the delay of that reference PLA to the clock signal.
Speaker 1: Hm.
Speaker 2: And if there's a mismatch, yeah, it triggers another circuit called.
Speaker 1: A charge pump a charge pump, yeah.
Speaker 2: And the charge pump either adds or removes charge from from the substrate. Of the transition from the substrate, which is also called the body of the transistort. Oh okay, and that adjustment to the charge actually tweaks the threshold voltage, so.
Speaker 1: They're fine tuning that voltage exactly.
Speaker 2: So even with all those variations in temperature and voltage and manufacturing, right, they can keep the circuit running smoothly.
Speaker 1: That's wild. So it's like a self tuning system, it is. Yeah, that's incredible, it really is. It makes you appreciate the ingenuity of these engineers. You know, they're working at such a tiny scale, it's amazing, but they're able to create these really complex systems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they work.
Speaker 1: They work, that's the amazing part. So we've talked about the BFSK transmitter, but what other applications could benefit from these techniques.
Speaker 2: Well, let's think about it. What about something like medical implants. Oh yeah, medical implants, those are a great example.
Speaker 1: Yeah, things like pacemakers and insulin pumps.
Speaker 2: Right exactly. Yeah, imagine if you could extend the battery life of those it would be huge huj Yeah, people wouldn't have to go through those risky surgery so often just to replace batteries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a really good point. And then there's all those wearable sensors that are becoming so.
Speaker 2: Popular, right, fitness trackers, smart watches.
Speaker 1: Imagine if those never needed charging.
Speaker 2: Oh that would be amazing.
Speaker 1: I would never have to take mine on. It would be so convenient, and wouldn't it be great for you know, like medical applications too.
Speaker 2: Absolutely constant monitoring without worrying about the battery dying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great point. And it's not just limited to those small devices either.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Remember we talked about data centers.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, those things use a ton of energy and.
Speaker 1: It's only going to get worse as we rely more and more on cloud computing.
Speaker 2: Definitely, sub threshold design could be a key part of making them more energy efficient.
Speaker 1: Yeah, imagine the impact on the environment and they're operating costs. It's incredible to think about. It is all because of these tiny, leaky transistors.
Speaker 2: It just goes to show that sometimes the biggest solutions come from thinking outside the box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, leakage was always seen as a problem to be solved, right, but now we're learning to harness.
Speaker 2: It and use it to our advantage.
Speaker 1: This whole deep dive has been amazing me too. We've gone from understanding this annoying problem to exploring these incredible techniques that are changing how we think about energy.
Speaker 2: Efficiency is really exciting stuff.
Speaker 1: It makes you wonder what other possibilities are out there just waiting to be discovered.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot more to come.
Speaker 1: Can't wait to see what the future holds. While that about wraps up our deep dive into minimizing and exploiting leakage in VLSI design, thanks for having me. It was great having you on. If you want to learn more about this fascinating topic, I definitely recommend checking out doctor Kotree's book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great resource.
Speaker 1: It's full of insights and technical details. And remember, this pursuit of energy efficiency is about more than just making our batteries last longer. It's about creating a more sustainable future for electronics alutely and minimizing our impact on the planet.
Speaker 2: Couldn't have said it better myself.
Speaker 1: So until our next deep dive, keep those minds curious, keep asking questions, and keep learning. See next time.