Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by La Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talk like that, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Truest Park in Atlanta. After the Braves route the Dodgers by a final score of ten to one. Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse with you until eight thirty tonight at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. We'll get into Tyler Glass Now season likely over in a moment. That will be a big part of the show tonight because big picture wise, the Dodgers have to figure out who's going to pitch for them in the postseason. They will be there, but now the only question is what seed will they have in the postseason because they will wrap up this division. I have no doubts about that. But they have to start playing better. As jose Motis said, you want to see more competitive at bats, and they've also got to find a way to overcome some poor starting pitching. They have Walker Bueller tomorrow. I'm not sure what you can expect from him. You had Nalanda Nak yesterday he only went two innings. Tonight Jack Flaherty only went three innings. So all of this is putting into a lot of questions whether or not the Dodgers are going to have a bye in the first round of the National League playoffs. You do not want to have to play in the best of three wildcard series with your pitching staff as thin as it is right now, the Brewers won or are on their way to winning. In Arizona. The Padres are beating the Giants right now five to nothing in the sixth innings, so they're going to win tonight. The Dodgers' lead is I want to get shrunk by the Brewers and the Padres. They will remain five games head ahead of the Diamondbacks, but the Brewers are only one game back of the Dodgers for the second seed in the National League playoff picture. And the Phillies won today they beat the Mets, and they are two games ahead of the Dodgers for the top spot in the National League, and essentially it's three games because the Phillies hold the tiebreaker. So with the news that Tyler Glass now has likely done for the season, a spring ride elbow, I just don't see how he's pitching again this year. So I will say likely, but it is a very strong possibility that he's not pitching again this year. And the Dodgers knew what they were getting into. Tyler glass Now has had a track record of arm issues. He's had some inies that have kind of trailed him during his career, and the Dodgers thought after his Tommy John surgery that things were behind him as far as the injury bug goes. And certainly, if you spoke to people around Major League Baseball last offseason, the Dodgers were not the only ones that were interested in Glass Now. There were other teams that wanted to trade for him and were willing to give him a five year, one hundred and thirty six million dollar extension to be able to pull off that trade. But for the Dodgers, they're in a tough spot because they traded for glass Now. They signed Yamamoto to have those two guys anchor their rotation down the stretch and into October, and right now all they have is Yoshi Yamamoto, who pitched for the first time since June fifteenth, and all has gone well since then for Yamamoto, so as Dave Roberts said he must have known something a couple of weeks ago when he was asked who had a better chance of pitching in October, and he said flat out it was Yamamoto. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. As far as tonight's game goes, I thought the first inning was pivotal. Chris Sale, who has been outstanding all year long, is on his way to winning the National League Cy Young Award. They kind of had him on the ropes. Sale was a erratic in the strike zone. He only threw four strikes, including the leadoff walk to Otani, but the double play killed what could have been a bigger inning. And also ta Oscar Hernandez trying to stretch a double to a triple, trying to do too much in that situation. And then Mooki Bets in right field. We have not seen Mooki misjudge two or three fly balls the way we signed misjudge those tonight, starting with the double by Matt Olsen, which was in the first inning, and then the other double by Jorge Solaire in the third inning. Bets did not have to jump for that double by Solaire, but he did and he couldn't catch it. So off night for Mookie Bets and it happens to the best of them, and tonight it was one of those nights for Mookie in right field. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from Mookie Bets.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's kind of first in the league for the sat young so you know it's gonna be a tough battle. But I mean he's just I just saw him being Chris Ale making it tough and just didn't couldn't really apply much pressure on him. He was just continuously just getting out of innings and making pitches.
Speaker 4: You see a Sale at his best, Like how close is this to sort of what you saw from Gloster?
Speaker 3: I mean it's the same. You know, that's a kind of what you expect out of Chris Sale, especially.
Speaker 5: When he's healthy.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't think this is something new to anybody, And if it is, you probably didn't know who Chris l.
Speaker 5: Was enough playing redfield, Like what kind of happened.
Speaker 6: There where they?
Speaker 3: No, I just missed it, man, I just went after it and I missed it. Now I misjudged. It didn't matter.
Speaker 2: I missed it all right, there's Mookie bets short and sweet on sports net LA after misjudging a couple of doubles out there in right field. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers have only gotten a combined five innings from their starters in the first two games of this series. Last night a disappointing one for Landon Nack, and tonight equally as disappointing for Jack Flaherty, who threw eighty three pitches in three innings and the fastball velocity was a mile mile and a half lower than what we have seen from him all season long. And you have to wonder if there are certain nights, or this night in particular, where the back wasn't feeling that great, because, as you heard Jose Mota observe, he was not finishing his pitches and he was struggling with his breaking ball. When you talk about a pitcher not feeling great physically well, the breaking ball is usually the first sign that things are not going great with your mechanics because it takes more effort to get over your front leg to execute a curveball, and we did not see a great curveball from Flerity. We saw a ninety two fastball from Flarity, and then all of a sudden midway through the third inning, it felt like he was overthrowing to try to get more velocity, and that really did not help him. So bad defense behind him. There's a bad play by Rojas, a couple of bad plays by Mookie Betts, but nonetheless, something seemed off about Jack Flaherty. Tonight, let's head downstairs again to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from young Jack trying to compete.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you know, I just I just you know around the zone, wasn't really attacking guys, wasn't wasn't doing little things right when you look at it, and I'll walk for guys. Didn't really get ahead and I got any good accounts. Was they don't put guys away quickly. The accounts ran long. You know, they put some good of ads together.
Speaker 7: So you just.
Speaker 4: Move on from this one. We want to the next one, you know, as quickly as you can. And you know, you you just make the adjustments. You come in tomorrow and you you start working on things getting ready for the next one.
Speaker 7: A lot like that is it, because like mechanical things aren't saying does is.
Speaker 4: Like, I we'll we'll figure it out as as we go. I don't have the answer sitting here right now, but come in tomorrow, look at some things tonight, and look at some things tomorrow, and figure it out.
Speaker 5: Over the week.
Speaker 4: It's not like if I had the answers right now. I you know, I you you like to make those adjustments in game. You know, you know what it is, you know what it takes, and you know what you need to do. And you know, I just wasn't even making as quickly as I would would have liked to. I had a couple instances there where things started to go in right direction, and then uh, you know, I just put myself in that spots.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that side.
Speaker 5: I mean, look at at the starting rotation. You know the injuries that have kind of hit it pretty hard, and how much they're gonna be relying on you get a potential October run. Do you feel that pressure? Do you think about those expectations at all?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: I mean our jobs go out and give the team a chance to win. If you look at tonight, I didn't really didn't do a good job of that. And even there when we get a one to one they put up. You know, we tie the ball game against Sale, who's been really really good all year, and you wanna go out and put up a shut down inning, and I didn't do that and give up three runs there on. Uh, you know, RCA put a good swing on the ball, So you know that that's frustrating. When when they when they put up another run and you got a chance to go out put a shut down and get those guys back into the dugout, that's frustrating. And then you know, looking forward, you just keep keep making starts to keep h you make pitches, and that's all about the game of adjustments.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: You just chalk this one up and move on to the next one.
Speaker 2: All right. There's Jack Flaherty on sports net LA after a disappointing night for him and the Dodgers as the Braves beat Flaherty ten to one, and in that sixth inning, more concern over Evan Phillips, who has looked very ordinary recently. It's been an up and down season for Evan Phillips and he's in the valley again loading the bases with two outs and Ryan Brasier was not able to limit the damage. Matt Olsen with a basis clearing double to blow this game open. Eight six six, seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Queens, New York. Joe. We're on the same time zone. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: How you doing, David, good to speak to you.
Speaker 9: A long time Dodger fans love.
Speaker 2: Talking to somebody in Queens, lets you are.
Speaker 9: Look, I got a few points.
Speaker 10: First of well, why does Dave Roberts put Freeman in the fourth position when he's he's in a sump?
Speaker 2: Well, tonight he was going up against the toughest left hander in the National League and ta Oscar Hernandez is hitting three h four coming into tonight's game against lefty, so he wanted to have ta Oscar hitting third, and it looked like he was paying off in the first inning before ta Oscar tried to stretch a double into a triple.
Speaker 10: Yes, that's another I mean, why would you even think of going to third Dase in that situation.
Speaker 2: That's a guy that's trying to do too much with an offense that is struggling in its last nine games. That's all I could come up with. I haven't seen that type of base running mistake from taoscar all season long.
Speaker 8: He took us out of the inning.
Speaker 9: You know, it could have changed I don't think it would have changed the game because the way the pitching went, but you know, to make up a base running one like that is just unforgivable.
Speaker 8: And then Mookie bitch, he he misplayed two five walls in thewfield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mookie did not look like himself either out there in right field, and the arm looked kind of weak as well as he was trying to hit the cutoff man. So it was one of those nights. As I said, Joe, it was one of those nights. But the Dodgers have got to wake themselves up. They've got to get back on track.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for the phone call. Call back anytime. Eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Ken in Newport Beach. Let's just get Ken out of the way right now after a bad loss. How you doing, Ken? Just kidding? Ken? You can call anytime.
Speaker 7: I tell I know you're kidding.
Speaker 10: I think I've got a couple of statistics, A couple of statistics for you. Dodgers are one four in their last five. In those five games, they've made six errors. Tonight, they have four hits. They have four of the five starters with e ers over ten in those four games, and actually the best Eks pitch today it was Kik.
Speaker 6: In addition, they are okay seven games Ross, I'm sorry, last seven games Dodgers have four guys hitting under two hundred Freeman, Lux, DK, Muncie.
Speaker 10: And you're not getting much from Oh.
Speaker 2: We lost Ken. What happened the negativity line cut out on him? Well, I understand what he was getting at, and that was my point. The Dodgers have got to shake themselves and get back on track here to finish out the stretch run on a high note. It's not so much about winning the division. They are going to do that, I have no doubts about that. But they have got to start playing better baseball. Yes, the starting pitching has not been great. Yes, they are very thin with starting pitching, especially now that we know Glass now is not coming back. But what you can do is try to minimize damage and help your starters by playing good defense behind them. Tonight, again we did not see that. You go back to the last homestand against the Cubs, sloppy, sloppy play, and as far as the starters go, it has not been pretty for the Dodgers, as they have lost for their last five and during that five game stretch, the bullpen has thrown more innings than the starters. The bullpen has thrown twenty four and two thirds innings while starters have only thrown eighteen and a third innings. And I appreciate Bill Plunkett's help with the math on that, but that is not a winning recipe to have your relievers throwing more innings than your starters. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I wouldn't be so to see a fresh arm tomorrow behind Walker Buehler, because Honeywell threw a lot of pitches yesterday. Again today, the Dodgers had to go to the bullpen. They had to use two position players to mop up the last two innings. They just sent down Justin Robleski. But if there's a reliever that has to go on the il, then Robleski can be called up and be available tomorrow. So we'll see how guys are feeling moving forward. But there's a good chance you'll see a fresh arm tomorrow because they have used so many reliever innings in the first two games of this series. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back more of your phone calls. We have two lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. We'll let you know what I saw from Otani's bullpen session today and also Clayton Kershaw continues to strive to come back. We'll fill you in on all of that. As the Dodgers fall to the Braves ten to one on AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 8: Five.
Speaker 11: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Truis Park in Atlanta. After the Braves put one on the Dodgers tonight in a big way, ten to one the final score. Welcome the Dodger Talk with you until eight thirty tonight on AM five to seventy LA Sports Live from Atlanta. We have two lines open at eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. The Dodgers have got to find a way to get back on track. But tonight it was all Chris Sale, who improved his record over the course of the last thirteen games to seven and oh with an ERA of one eighty two, whose sales record this season is seventeen and three. He's on his way to a National League Cy Young Award. He beat Jack Flaherty, who only lasted three innings tonight. It was the shortest outing by Jack Flaherty since last August, where he only went three innings. Flarity with the Dodgers is five and two. His record overall this season is twelve and seven. The Dodgers in the first two games of this series have been outscored sixteen to three, and their three MVPs of Otani, Betts, and Freeman are combined two for twenty. Let's go back out to the phones. Lou in Huntington Beach. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 8: Lou Hi, Dave Pour are you?
Speaker 12: I love your show and I'm gonna try to keep it short. I just wanted to mention why is no one mentioning the fact I know that Mokis made those I consider the errors, but maybe he just missed the balls. But you know this. This extends the innings. This, this puts more pressure on the pitchers and they have to throw more balls. That puts their pitch count higher. He would have been out of it had Mooki made those plays. I think Claerty's pitch count.
Speaker 8: Would have been low.
Speaker 12: Then Rojas made an.
Speaker 13: Error which caused it to go, which.
Speaker 12: Caused the inning to go keep going because it would have been a double play, ending inning ending play which would have ended the inning.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, I'm just a little nervous.
Speaker 2: No, No, you're on point, You're on point.
Speaker 12: Yes, I just think the pitchers are absolute stress and pressure put on them because they don't know what the what the defense is going to be like, and it.
Speaker 2: Just well has heard of you know, we hear about offensive slumps. I've heard about defensive slumps. And it feels like the Dodgers right now are in a defensive slump and they've got to find a way to try to not do too much. That's the tricky thing about baseball. Right in life, we're always told to try harder, try harder to fix our mistakes. But in baseball, if you try harder and try to do too much, it's snowballs and more mistakes occur. So the Dodgers have got to find a way to just relax and find a way to have that engagement, that focus and be in the moment to not make mistakes that they usually don't make.
Speaker 12: Yes, And don't you think that puts more pressure on the pictures here? They would be out of the inning but for the fact that their defense is just struggling and making and then the pitchers have got to make more pitches and their pitchcount goes up, and then they're out of the game because they've got their pitchcount too high.
Speaker 2: And Okay, okay, that's part of it. How about on the flip side, these Dodger pitchers that you're talking about being victimized by bad plays behind them, don't you think the Dodger pitchers need to throw strikes and get their infield fielders out of that game, out of that inning, any particular inning quicker because it feels like these guys are standing out there for a long time because Dodger pitchers are not throwing strike one, and they're not throwing strikes a lot these days loose, So I feel like it's not just one sided, it's they all play together. It's an ecosystem, right. If a pitcher's throwing strikes, guys are more engaged, there's more of a chance to stay on your feet and not lose focused. To me, Dodger pitchers recently have not been very good relievers starters at throwing strike one right.
Speaker 12: Right on the offense, like you said, is not helping. They're just all of it, all the way, all of it.
Speaker 2: It's not going great the last ten games or so. They've got to figure it out. Lou you are great. Call back any.
Speaker 12: Time, Thanks, Dave, Take care, Bye bye bye.
Speaker 2: Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look outfielders, infielders, they don't want to stand behind pitchers that are not throwing strikes. These guys are human too, right. You want to keep your infielders and outfielders engaged by throwing strikes and keeping the inning moving. And I'm not seeing a lot of strikes being thrown. Not by Jack Flaherty tonight, not by Evan Phillips in the sixth inning. And that's problematic. It's not an excuse for lack of focus or misplays or errors. But that's also another layer to why the Dodgers have lost six of their last nine. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniel's Jewelers Own the Dream. Before we get back out to the phone calls, I just want to relay to you again about Sho Haotani and the possibility of him pitching in October. Today he threw a twenty five pitch bullpen session before the game. It was his sixth bullpen session since his second elbow surgery. He is starting to get closer to do what the Dodgers already had planned for him, and that's to face hitters. That's not because they're planning on using him in October. And in fact, today I was told by somebody with the Dodgers that they believe that it's a one percent chance of Otani pitching in October. And Dave Roberts even walked it back a little bit yesterday where he said he is not going to completely rule it out, but it is a long shot, and I feel like we're all It feels like some people are taking that and running with it as if you're going to see Otani pitch in the first round of the playoffs. I do not see that happening. The only scenario I could see Otani pitching is if the Dodgers did make the World Series and they needed an inning or two and we're desperate for that. Otani definitely would rise to the occasion, and probably talking to the Japanese media, they believe that he would want that type of stage to make his first pitching appearance. They don't believe that Otani wants to. They don't believe that the stage is big enough for Otani to pitch in an NLDS or an NLCS. That's the Japanese media's opinion that I'm speaking to, and like I said, it's a long shot for Otani to pitch this year. The Dodgers are more than likely, from my understanding, going to have another meeting about this when they return back to Los Angeles. But as of now, the plan is, and the plan has been since the beginning of the season, to shut down the throwing program once the regular season ends, so Otani can focus on the playoffs. So that's where things stand with Otani and pitching. It's a long shot, but the Dodgers are not going to rule it out. Eight six six nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go back out to New York, home of the Brooklyn Dodgers. Al, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, al great?
Speaker 13: How you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. He's talking baseball. What do we got.
Speaker 13: My brother Joe from Queens called earlier and I had it get on the because my brother, he's a negative Nancy on the on the Dodgers all the time, even though he's a big Dodger fan life, while he's one who got me into the Dodgers in the first place. But I've got to say what I've been telling my brother and everyone else. I don't know. I don't think you can really prepare for October baseball. That's that, that's the feeling I'm getting. I mean, we're talking about Otani. I mean some people are talking about Otani.
Speaker 7: I just heard what you said.
Speaker 13: It reminds me of last year when they were talking about Beulah. We've we've got to stop, you know, Look, have pipe dreams and get this team together and just you know, like, I don't know what the answer is, but I know that none of this is gonna have anything to do with what happens in October when we're playing in the playoffs. Do you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You're right, nobody's going to be talking about this game tonight. If the Dodgers run the table, that's for sure. Al But the reality is, I'm not talking so much about tonight. I'm talking big picture with their pitching. Right now, they have two starters that they can count on, Jack Flaherty and Yoshi Yamamoto, and that's a fragile thing. So if the Dodgers are going to run the table and get to the World Series, they're going to need a whole pitching staff to get there because they only have two starters.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: Kershaw may be able to get things going by the time the NLDS rolls around, but he's not going to pitch any more regular season games, according to Dave Roberts. So that's my thing. You could say all you want that this game means nothing, and I'm with you. It does mean something to a certain extent. Because the Dodgers need to play for advantageous playoffs seating right now, with how thin their starting pitching is, that's my only concern they're going to make the playoffs. But if you're in a wildcard series and you need to go not only three rounds to win the World Series, now you're adding another round with the thinnest pitching they have had in the last twelve years, that's going to be a tall order. And that's why they need that first round by more than ever.
Speaker 13: Oh, I agree one hundred percent on that level.
Speaker 2: But all right, now I gotta run. I got a full border calls. Thank you for the phone call. Handle it with your brother out there in Queens. Let's go out to uh Rex into Mechula. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Rex?
Speaker 8: Hey, Gabe, how are you tough loss tonight? You enjoying that weather there in Atlanta?
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm just happy it wasn't rained outer there were no rain delays, so I think we got past the worst of it.
Speaker 8: Yes, I lived there for seventeen years and was there when the Braves won the World Series in ninety five, and I told your screener, I see a little similarity. I feel like that the Braves of that era I should have won at least three or four World Series. Of course they only won one. I'm starting to see that with the Dodgers. Of course, Ballinger made us pay the other day. Corey Seeger ends up being like an MVP, and I just feel like this Dodgers era, I feel like we should have three or four World Series and to get it done this year. I just starting to feel a little bit desperate, and like, I heard what you said about Otani. What other options do we have for pitching besides besides what you've already mentioned. What other options do.
Speaker 7: You want to know?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 2: Do you want to know the sleeper? Do you want to know the sleeper name?
Speaker 8: Lay it on me.
Speaker 2: Tony Gonsolin. Tony Gonsolin will come, and I believe will at least make one start before the end of the regular season. He made one starter ready for Oklahoma City. He went two scoreless innings. He's pitching again tomorrow, and I assume he's going to up it to at least three innings. If he's throwing three innings in a triple A game and the Dodgers needs starting pitching, it feels like if all goes well tomorrow with Gonsolin. It feels like Tony Gonsolin now is in the fold. Nobody's talking about him. But that's more of a reality than Otani pitching in the postseason.
Speaker 8: When would be the soonest he could show up to pitch well.
Speaker 2: If he's pitching tomorrow, then probably six days after that. All right, gosh, thank you for the phone call. You go, there's the sleeper name. Eight six six nine seven two is the phone number. Look desperate times, call for desperate measures. Tony Gonsolin is feeling good in his recovery from Tommy John surgery. He's twelve months removed, and look, he's pitching Triple A games. So if he's pitching Triple A games, he can pitch major league games. And the Dodgers do need his help. Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Jonas in La. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: Hi, Jonas, Hey, Dave, A big fan of your work. Really enjoy it the way you cover the Dodgers. I really wanted to get your take on this that I've been concerned about the podres, specifically creeping up on the Dodgers as we head into the final stretch of the season. We've got two games with Atlanta, then I think we have a Colorado Miami, then the Podreys come into town. Do you see any scenario that the Dodgers could slip out of first place and the Podres or the Diamondbacks take to the should the Dodgers go to a wild card?
Speaker 2: I don't see. The Diamondbacks. They lost today and the calendar is working against them. The Dodgers also hold the tiebreaker. Now, as far as the Padres go, they're playing good baseball right now. They're going to win tonight if they already haven't won against the Giants, and they're making it interesting, no doubt about it, because the Dodgers are not winning games. They've lost six of their last nine, and the Padres are winning eight to nothing in the bottom of the eighth inning. So they're going to cut the Dodger lead by another game before it's all said and done. And yeah, that three game series against the Padres at Dodgers Stadium is trying to look like a bigger series. You know, the Dodgers pitching is not in a good place right now. I don't believe the Dodgers are going to lose this division to the Padres or the Diamondbacks. My only concern is if they don't start winning enough games, the Brewers are going to overtake them for the second spot in the National League playoff picture. That's my greater concern.
Speaker 9: Okay, now, I don't know. There's been some talk. I listened to you. I listened to you on Petras, some money, and obviously a lot of your your comments. Bigger picture. The recent article by Jack Harrison the LA Times regarding the Dodger pitching injuries.
Speaker 6: Do you think it.
Speaker 9: Looks like the Dodgers have more pitching injuries than any other team by far? What do you have a take on that? I mean, is there a larger problem with how the Dodgers manage their talent versus other teams.
Speaker 2: I don't believe it's just a Dodger problem, But I'll say this, talking to some veteran pitchers that have a great grasp on what it takes to go deep into games and to last a full season, they believe and even talking to the Hall of Famer Jim Palmer at Dodger Stadium, they believe this. This data, they call it track Man, which tracks spin, rate, velocity, all that stuff. That's what it's called track Man. These guys believe you've got to take that out of the bullpen sessions because these younger pitchers feel the pressure of competing for their spot and in the process, in these bullpen sessions are not just a light touch and feel bullpen for thirty pitches. Instead, they're trying to compete with the pitch they just threw and looking at the iPad. It's great if the evaluators want to see that, but these pitchers are telling me they've got to take that out of the bullpen for the pitchers to see and just let them know, hey, you don't have to approve your stuff right here in the bullpen. We will judge you in games the bullpen. As you know, bullpen sessions are meant to kind of get a feel for the pitches or if you're working on something, it's not to throw ninety eight and try to compete with the pitch that you just threw. So that seems to be something that a lot of people agree upon that these young guys in these bullpen sessions are trying to compete against the numbers of what they just threw because they feel like they have to or they're not going to keep their job in the rotation.
Speaker 9: All right, well, thanks very much, have a good night. It's getting late there for you, so we'll get some sleep and we'll be listening down the road.
Speaker 2: Take care, all right, thanks for the phone call, Jonas. Yeah, that seems to be the consensus from pitchers that are very good at going deep into games and lasting for twenty five to thirty starts. Number One, have these young pitchers throw more in the minor leagues. Sandy Kofax is famous for saying you don't train for a marathon by running sprints, meaning he's a big believer in throwing more will help pitchers be more durable in their careers and during a particular season. I know in every walk of life that we always say to try to protect, whether it's your eyes or your knee, rest it more, don't try to do too much with it. Stop looking at the screen if your eyes are hurting. But in pitching, it sounds like to stay healthier. Throwing more helps, you know, you go back twenty years or so, young pitchers were being time fifteen minutes at a time and saying to throw, throw for fifteen minutes, play catch for fifteen minutes, and that helped build endurance. So hopefully things start to go back in that direction where pitchers are throwing more and being allowed to go deeper into games in the minor league. So that's a whole different show for the offseason. But yeah, that's my take on it. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Braves beat the Dodgers tonight ten to one. Let's go out to Lewis in the Bay Air. Hi, Lewis, you're a Dodger talk.
Speaker 7: Hey, Dave, good program. You're getting a lot in tonight. And I got to say to just compliment you. I heard that interview with Jim Palmer and it was great. He's spot on. And if you listen to a buster on the interview earlier this week when he had Smolts on, he adds to it. But we can talk about that in the off season. My question to you, it's hard to gauge, but I just do wonder about the morale with the Dodgers top pitchers going down and all the questions if that doesn't at some point hit the team as a whole and that's why you're seeing such a bad stretch from both the bullpen and the defense, which if you look at the defense throughout the year, has actually been quite good, even with some of the position shifts that say Mookie had to go through. And I guess the final point, I'm really encouraged what you said about Gonsolin, and my only caveat to add, and I'd love to hear your take, is whether you have to bring in somebody like Casparius who's not a pro for the playoffs yet. I don't think he's ready, but to just give the bullpen some help because another arm for one inning isn't going to do the trick. And you still are dealing with starting pitchers who, as you say, are fragile.
Speaker 2: I'm aldo Sperius has a Yeah, Caspirius has been here to give coverage to starters. The Dodgers are concerned about how deep they might get into a game. It's been him, it's been Robleski, it's been Brent honeywell, so definitely he's in the mix. And thanks for the phone call, lewis appreciated. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, Hey, yesterday, speaking of pregame interviews, we ran into a former Dodger, Carl Crawford, who was part of that Adrian Gonzalez nick punto Josh Beckett trade. As you know, the Dodgers took Crawford's dollars to be able to pull off the trade for Adrian Gonzalez. And here's what Carl Crawford had to say about the memories he had playing for the Dodgers. We with one of the.
Speaker 14: Cool little ones, you know, him and Jack Peterson used to be side by side, you know what I'm saying. So yeah, man, well those guys, yeah, man, Like I said, it's nice to see him and see him actually doing well. You know what I'm saying. Those were some good clips and I always thought they was gonna be really good clip and to see how they how they turn out, is great.
Speaker 2: Carl, you brought back some great memories. I do remember in the clubhouse, Jack Peterson looking up to you just wanna leave your side. The player that he's become. Did you see that when he was a rookie? Yes, I saw it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 14: With rookie and then you know, like I said, I to go down for a couple of things in the minor league. So I saw him when he was going thirty to thirty in the minors, so I already knew he had to tell it to do what he's doing.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, he's I'm.
Speaker 14: Glad his personality is still the same. He still has fun to go about the game in a great way. So you know, it's good to see that he's doing well. One of my low Yeah.
Speaker 2: What they say, photos as and whatnot little bros.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, man, you little bro for real though, So now I'm glad to see he's doing well.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Carl Crawford. And to hear the full conversation, you could see it on or listen to it on the iHeartRadio app. It was great to see Carl yesterday. It was unexpected, but he splits time between Atlanta and Houston, and he certainly was a character. I'll say that, never a dull moment when Carl Crawford was around, and when he was on the team, guys would be asked, who's the funniest guy on the team, and they would all say Carl Crawford unintentionally the funniest guy out there. So it was great to see carl for sure. Right, that'll do it for us. On Dodger Talk tonight Tomorrow, Sunday Night Baseball, Walker Buehler will be on the mound going up against former Ray and veteran Charlie Morton, who's eight and eight this year for the Braves with an era of four to eleven. Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck begins at three o'clock, with first pitch at four to ten. You know, one year I talked to Charlie Morton when he was going to be a free agent, and I said, Hey, any interest to pitching for the Dodgers. He said, Hey, I would love to pitch for the Dodgers, but my family's on the East coast. I'm not crossing the Mississippi. So that's the reason why Charlie Morton never entertained coming to the West coast. Thanks to Colinie back at our Burbanks Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Truest Truest Park out here in Atlanta, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio apps. Once again, the final score from Truest Park in Atlanta. The Braives defeat the Dodgers. Tend to one, have a great rest of your night. See you on sticking. Stop just don't