Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to the final episode of Listener Request Month here on Second Take Cinema. It has been a journey, and today we wrap things up with a request not too far from home, coming from Luke in Chelmsford. He said, I'd like you guys to review Back to the Future. It's my all time favorite film. I saw it when I was nine or ten and I rewatch it all the time. I love everything about this film, and I think you will enjoy discussing it. Well, Luke, today's your lucky day, because we're gonna fulfill your request. That's right, Ladies and gentlemen, strap in, start your ignition and prepare to reach eighty eight miles an hour as we give a second ach to Back to the Future. Back to the Future of a nineteen eighty five American science fiction film directed by Robert Zamechis and written by Zamechis and Bob Gail. It stars Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd Lear, Thompson Crispinglover, and Thomas F. Wilson. It was made for a budget of nineteen million dollars, where it grossed three hundred and ninety eight point two million dollars at the box office. Back to the Future received generally positive reviews from critics, with most reviewers agreeing Back to the Future was amongst the year's most entertaining films, partly because of its focus on storytelling instead of pure spectacle. Paul Attanasio and Gene Siskel argued that while Back to the Future appeared to be everything wrong with youth targeted films, it successfully subverted expectations by focusing on a relatable narrative and an emotional core an unemployed, irreverent, good natured humor. They, alongside Richard Carlis, agreed that it would endure because it offered something for children and adults. Some reviewers, such as Carlis and Leonard Moulton, agreed that the exposition heavy opening was Back to the Future's weakest part, but led into a stronger half filled with wit, wonder, comic epiphany, and original ideas. Dave Kerr remarked that Galen Zamechis were among the first generation of filmmakers openly influenced by growing upon televised entertainment, and their inspirations are evident throughout The Hollywood Reporter said that despite Spielberg's producer role, it was Zemeckis's vision, being more subtle, gentler, and less noisy. Some reviewers compared it favorably to the nineteen forty six fantasy drama It's a Wonderful Life, which offered a similar premise of a central character changing his future. Yeah. Roger Ebert said the film offered humanity, charm, humor, and many surprises that were among its greatest pleasures. Sheila Benson was more critical. She found Back to the Future to be overproduced and underdeveloped, featuring a hollow ending focused on materialistic rewards, and lacking tension because Marty's success never seemed in doubt. Siskell counted that the tension came from defying the expectations of a typical time travel film by making the past mutable and the future uncertain. Atanasio criticized some aspects that seemed to be mechanically designed to create the broadcast audience appeal. The cast performances were generally well received, particularly those of Fox, Lloyd, Thompson, and Glover. Reviewers consistently praised Fox's appealing performance, although some believed Lloyd's performance outshone the rest. Care and Atanasio considered his uncontrolled performance and unique intensity, a tribute to mad scientist characters portrayed by the likes of Sid Caesar and John Belushi, while creating the definitive scientist archetype for modern audiences. In contrast, Vincent Cambian Variety's review said that Thompson's deceptively passionate performance and Glover's bumbling to confident character provided Back to the Future's standout performances. Some reviewers considered the use of Libyan terrorists and actual fear at the time to be in poor taste. At the nineteen eighty six Academy Awards, Back to the Future received one award for Best Sound Effects Editing, and had a further three nominations for Best Original Screenplay, Best Sound and Best Original Song for That's the Power of Love by Huey Lewis and the News. Okay, so back to the Future, Rawsham, When did you first see Back to the Future.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest, I've seen the second one before I saw the first, so I can't remember.
Speaker 1: I saw him in the wrong order.
Speaker 2: I know I did the same with Terminate. I'm kind of crazy, child, but I'll be honest, I don't remember when I first saw it likes it. I couldn't pinpoint a date or even a rough time.
Speaker 1: Do you remember if you I was definitely a kid.
Speaker 2: I just can't remember if it was sort of late, like before I was ten or after I was ten. Essentially it's it's but either way it probably was close to ten one side or the other. I watched this film as a kid. I love this film as a kid. I did again I am. I'm going to say it outright, I do prefer the sequel, and there'll be some notes that I give during this discussion to maybe why and what I think some of the thoughtfuls were on this film. But yeah, I enjoyed this film and it was nice to go back to it. It's one of those films though that I find And again we'll get to this as we discussed, but it really doesn't hold up under scrutiny. So it's a really fun film to watch. It's not a great film to review because it doesn't like. Some of the layers they've put in don't hold up when you start to break them down, right, But yeah, I'll leave that for you. What about yourself?
Speaker 1: So I saw this very late, so I'm gonna hold my hands up right now. I do not have the same nostalgia for this movie that most people do. I didn't see this till I was thirty three. I only saw it for the first time a couple of years ago. Yeah, and this is my second time watching it. I don't know why. It wasn't planned. It's just one of those things where I've always known Back to the Future was this really important, you know, pop culture milestone, and for some reason, I just never got around to watching it. But no, I did like Back to Future. I'm not gonna sit here and be like, oh, it was garbage. I just don't have that nostalgia for it that a lot of people do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I definitely have more nostalgia for the second one, but also the second one, And again that's that's a conversation. We'll probably save it. It's for an as and when we do the second film. But the second most people who know me know that I kind of have a love for cyberpunk, and there's some cyber punky elements, not fully cyberpunk, but there's some cyberpunky aesthetic elements to the second one, So it automatically wins my heart.
Speaker 1: More than the other two. Yeah. No, worries, but we were happy to do a review of Back to Back to the Future. So let me tell you the first thing that struck me other than I really like the opening shot of this film. I love that it's the slow pan over Doc Brown's clocks and like the papers, and then we come down to the door, the door, and we do a hero shot. It's all one take as well, let's all one take following Martin McFly around. And then the first thing he does is that plug is a plug is a guitar into that giant amp, yes, and literally blow himself up and it's like, oh cool.
Speaker 2: And then you get set a phone called by the way, don't use the ab but I think it'll blow and he's like.
Speaker 1: No perps And just like that, you've set up for me what tone I'm going to be expecting for this movie. It's a little bit goofball. Yeah, it's some really good opening. Martin McFly obviously has gone on to become a very iconic character, like that look has gone on to become iconic with the red body warmer.
Speaker 2: Yes, the life Preserver, The life Preserver.
Speaker 1: One thing that struck me when I first watched this film they never explain how Doc Brown and Martin know each other. This is just like a sixteen seventeen year old kid hanging around with a crazy old inventor man.
Speaker 2: Yes and that. Yeah, it's like yeah, okay, yeah, of course of course they're friends us their best is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did they even cross paths with each other?
Speaker 2: The closest you get is a lie, which is in the nineteen fifty five bit when Lorraine, his mum, comes to see them and Doc Brown suggests that I can't remember which one suggests it, but basically that Doc Brown's his uncle. But obviously that's a lie. It's not even true. But it's like, that's the closest we get to a backstory for these two and it's not even real.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's kind of one of those things where the film very much is like doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there is. It's awkward because if they were about the same age, you wouldn't question it. No, no, And I think that's the thing is like if it's like, well, you shouldn't have to explain these two people are friends, you know, why do you have to explain why they're friends? But it kind of feels like you have to when it's essentially an underage kid and an old man.
Speaker 1: I think maybe in nineteen eighty five that wasn't It probably wasn't as big of a an issue to people.
Speaker 2: There has always been this idea of certainly in America. Maybe it's different in America as well, because they had I know, we kind of had this here, but it wasn't as big. They had the like the boy Scouts and stuff like that, which was always older men going off into the woods with young, younger boys. And it wasn't anything weird or strange like that. It was. The idea was just that you'd have someone who was older who would be like a good example.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be their knowledge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'd be like friends of the kids. But they obviously it was at this distance. But that feels different because that's an agreed upon group thing, like I'm going to put my child into the Scouts, and I understand that this older man is going to be taking care of him, whereas in this scenario, it's just two isolated people that are in some way found each other. Yeah, but we again, we get no context.
Speaker 1: You kind of get the impression the weird thing is is and it doesn't I'm not saying this is a criticism of the film, by the way, I'm just sort of saying it as a oh, this is funny. On the one hand, you get the impression that maybe what's made Marty go to Doc Brown is it kind of feels like he doesn't really fit in in his family. Yes, and maybe it's sort of a farther figure uncle figure type thing, you know, like you said, an older, wiser person to pass on knowledge because his dad is the wettest of letterces.
Speaker 2: Yes, but he does. Also, the other thing is Doc Brown has a massive amp that he could explode, so.
Speaker 1: That the other thing, though that's an odd choice, is Ordinarily, if you have a young person who befriends an older person and like just go, you know, befriends an old inventor and just goes and hangs out the ham h you would expect that person to be a raging nerd. Yes, But Martin McFly is repeatedly shown as being cool as fuck. Yeah, he's a skateboarder, he's got a girlfriend. You'd expect it to be the person who has no friends, no girlfriend in his basement dweller. Yeah, and they're they're connecting with this person over a shared interest.
Speaker 2: I mean, the other thing is well is whether we like it or not. You when you're a young man, you take several cues from your father, sometimes good, sometimes negative, and sometimes you learn not to be them rather than learn to be them. But Marty kind of is in a weird zone where he's so out of sync with George, like that this version of George that we first meet, because as you say, George is such a simpering wet lettuce and Marty doesn't seem to have that in him. But it's not like he's you'd imagine, certainly with a sixteen to seventeen year old boy, if you're at a point where it's like, right, I'm actually as a sixteen seventy year old boy, I've got this kind of mickisma about me. I've worked myself out to a devil, and my dad is this simpering twat. There'd be a lot more basically f.
Speaker 1: You dad going on.
Speaker 2: But he has like enough respect to talk to his father like a human being, whilst also being like, oh this this fucking dude. When the way that he reacts to Biff, Yeah, and you like that, you know, yeah, And it's like I'm I'm not sure that's something that a sixteen year old would ask his dad. No, it would either be like you're such a web dad, I hate you, or it would be essentially like, oh, well, you know, brown nosing is the way that you go up in the world learning from the negative of your dad's example. So yes, okay, So let's let's start on some of the notes that I pulled when I watched Fume. So yes, Christmas Glove's version of the nerdy character. The thing I he's much better when he plays the nineteen fifty five George, but in this opening thing, he's so nerdy. He's playing it like basically like a comedy character you'd get in like a National Lampoon movie.
Speaker 1: It's very over the top. It's not even close to how even even the most bumbling of dads would act.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the thing is I've put here the performance is lacking depth in regards to an inner agony and shame. Like he's I know, he's meant to be like a weak, simpering man. And Biff's come around and he's basically throwing his dick around.
Speaker 1: Hello McFly, where's my things? Did he keep calling him a butt head?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who but it.
Speaker 2: He says that the second one, that's my favorite one. But yeah, no he yeah. So he's bullying the dad in his own home and there's a bit where he just goes he just takes sweets out of the sweet jar without asking and shit like that. Biff is doing a great job. Tom Wilson is smashing it. The problem is is Biff. Tom Wilson's Biff doesn't have much to push against because Christian Glovery is too accommodating. And here's the thing. You don't have to rewrite the scene. The scene is fine, but there has to be a point where you can see in the performance somewhere that that George is allowing it to happen because he's too scared, but that he hates it. But he doesn't seem to hate it. It's just like, oh, well, you know, that's just the answer of oh well, you know, that's just how it is. That's meant to cover his ego and his shame. But you don't feel any ego damage or shame. It's just like, yeah, it's played too cool. So it feels like an SNL sketch more than it feels like an actual movie scene. Maybe I'm being a bit unfair there, but I think there could have been a bit more depth to this intro of modern day George. I don't know if you'd agree with that or yeah.
Speaker 1: I just all that struck me was how completely unrealistic of a portrayal it was. I will say one thing that I don't think works in the film, and I think anyone who takes off the nostalgia goggles would admit, yes, I think the young actors playing the aged up versions, so Crispin Glover and Leah Thompson, it just doesn't work. And the makeup doesn't work because even the performance on Christopher Lloyd is fine because Doc Brown is kind of played in a timeless way where.
Speaker 2: He could because it's a ball direct man, ball inventor. Yeah, he plays it the exact same way in both time periods. But it works at any age. But the maker is either at centric or an old ball for the.
Speaker 1: Makeup doesn't I should I should mention that I watched the four K restoration version.
Speaker 2: See I watched the Blu ray version which is full HD, but you could still tell that the makeup was fake. What a fine interesting in retrospect is so the very opening of back to the future too. When they arrive in the future, right at the beginning, he immediately starts peeling his face off, and when Marty goes, what are you doing, is, oh, it's a facial scrub latex cover. So now, and they basically they use it as an excuse for Old Doc to remove the old man makeup, and they pretend it's a latex mask thing from the future that rejuvenates his youth, and it did not remember, it's played away in like one or two lines, and just they knew them. They knew a makeuple shit. So they apply it right at the start because he's still got it at the end of the first film, and they immediately carry on from each other, so they apply it. They arrive in the in our well at the time was our future, and then he just peels his face off and goes, yeah, no, it was just a mask anyway.
Speaker 1: And we all just move on. We all just move on. Yeah, okay, yeah, that was a thing with me. Like Leah Thompson's kind of doing the if you ask any young actor to play an old person, they kind of default to like her, Oh, I'm Marty, how you doing type thing. Yeah, he's kind of doing that. Chrispin Glover is not aging his physical performance at all. It is still as over the top and flappy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's kind of got that I'd say nineties Jim Carey energy, the way that he carries his arms and stuff. Yeah, he's got that kind of overly manic youth energy even as an older man. It's a bit weird one. The other thing with Leah Thompson's character, and it's not her fault. This is a script thing because I think she performs it just fine. I don't really see any reason that's told why she hasn't left, because by this point she clearly hates him because she thought he was a hard man and now he's just this simpering loser and she's still with him with three kids, drinking vodka, she at breakfast time. Yeah, there's a really weird dynamic.
Speaker 1: I did I do, Like Marty skateboarding to score though, hanging on the back of the pickup truck while The Power of Love plays.
Speaker 2: That was cool. Like again, this film knows how to This film, if nothing else, knows exactly how to play Marty and the doc because Marty is immediately cool in an effortless way. The other thing I just want to mention before we move on from the family last minute thing, he's got a brother and sister in this film, which are kind of important because the photo of them disappearing shows him that he's wiping out his own timeline. But they never returned in the sequels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, because they're kind of nothing characters, aren't they only.
Speaker 2: Because the films it's a trilogy and they choose to do nothing with them. Yeah, it's kind of weird, like because in this version, before he goes back into the past, his brother, for example, is a pizza delivery guy, and then when he returns, he's like a businessman in a suit, and you're just like, Okay, we'll get to that at the end, because I actually have some commits on that, but like, it's it's very weird that they've changed the characters so much, rather than just changing Crispin Glover, because that was the thing is I think Crispin Glover.
Speaker 1: I think the implication's supposed to be that because they've this could possibly be considered a little bit sexist. Yeah, but I think the implication is supposed to be that because the kids have been raised by a stronger, more confident father. Yes, they've actually gotten their lives together, whereas a weak man like George war Raised, it's just like, yeah, careers don't really matter. Like if you don't want to go to school, don't go to school, so you end up the best you can do is deliver it pizza delivery man? Or what does the sister do she's got I.
Speaker 2: Think she's still in college, right, yeah, because I know Marty is, but I think she's younger than him.
Speaker 1: I can't recall.
Speaker 2: I don't know why Marty is the last one to disappear in the photo either.
Speaker 1: I thought he was the youngest. I thought that was why. Oh is he the youngest? I think that's why he's the last one to go. Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because she's got a thing that says in the photo she's got a jumper on, doesn't she. That says class of eighty four, which is the year before, So yeah, she must be older. Then he'd be the first one to go, though she in college, he's in high school. Yeah, but surely then he'd be the first one to go.
Speaker 1: No, because time's going that way, times are raising that way, so.
Speaker 2: No, but if some raises that way, then no, because if times are raising that way, he'd be the first one to go, because surely the idea is that they're getting wiped out because essentially George and Leanne Lorraine sorry, don't have a long lasting relationship, so as that relationship time span short, and surely the youngest kid would be the first one cut because you wouldn't get to sleep together to get to the third kid if you hadn't the first and second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think they're just doing it in that sort of way where it's going along. Time just happens to be linear backwards. Right again? Why not what they ever? Yeah, you were right. I really don't have any other notes until we get to him showing him the DeLorean exactly.
Speaker 2: My next thing is about the Dolorean.
Speaker 1: So well, my next was just it's real. It's real weird the way they crowbar in or I ripped off the Libyan nationalists, and it's a little bit like it's the eighties and you didn't just go Soviet Russia, Like do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, why choose Libya?
Speaker 1: The whole point is to get you. It's getting plutonium, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's news reports we see, right, from the opening shot of the fact that plutonium has been stolen. Yeah, and you know that's being referenced because he's got the platonium. Yeah. It's kind of weird though, because it'd be like if you were to reference I don't know, like the Cold War was huge, it'd be like talking now where you've got IM not going to go into politics, but like there's tensions of Palestine, Israel, Russia and China, et cetera, and going, Yeah, the Turkish nationalists, You're like, why the Turks?
Speaker 1: Yeah, why aren't we doing the big thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, why are we avoiding the bigger I do just wonder if maybe they just wanted to be different, because because you know, in the eighties everyone did the Russians as villains, didn't.
Speaker 2: They Yeah, maybe they wanted to sell it in Russia. Yeah, they thought that Libya wasn't going to be a big enough the store base to worry about Lucia.
Speaker 1: Maybe.
Speaker 2: I mean, this seems something that's also very weird because bear in mind they even mentioned in the film that in nineteen eighty five, while they this film, Ronald Reagan is the president, and he was a famously right wing president for the Republican Party. It seems very odd and like a very purposeful choice that the Libya Nationalists arrive and kill Doc Brown driving a Volkswagen camper van, which is famously an image of the hippie movement. Yeah, I thought that had to be a deliberate Yeah, and it's that whole idea that hippies are pro fucking death and destruction, which is a stupid, weird thing. Like, I'm not saying that hippies are the best culture. My dad was one, so I've got a bit of an opinion, I guess. But like, they don't go around shooting people. Yeah, that's not what hippies do. It's a very odd choice. The Dolory. Can I talk a bit about that? Yeah, please do the DMC Doloran, because I do like vehicles a little bit. I'm not I'm not fucking Jeremy Clarkson, but I do know a little bit about them. I love the Dolorean. It's beautiful, it's gorgeous, legendary vehicle. By the time they made the movie, the vehicle was already dead. Like the it had a very short shelf life from nineteen eighty one and then they ceased production in December nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 1: Whilst it's a year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it had a year of production and then died on its ass. It was basically destined for the dustbin of history and was revived because of Back to the Future.
Speaker 1: Did it die because I'm not saying it doesn't look cool, because it does. It does, but is it because if you park in a car parking spot in a parking lot, you can't open the fucking doors without hitting the car next seat.
Speaker 2: So weirdly, the golding doors weren't the end of it. That wasn't the problem. The issues so looking when I looked up the DeLorean, it was basically built on a nineteen seventies engine used in Renos and Volvos of the time, so I'm guessing that was considered reliable. But it was renowned for poor build quality and a poor driving experience. So yeah, the only thing that it had going for it was John Delaurian, which is the name of the man who invented the Dolorean Company and built the DMC DeLorean. He wanted to create the perfect driver's car, and the first part of that was creating the most beautiful vehicle he could do, and to be fair, to the car, it's gorgeous, but obviously when it came to production side, it was like, yes, it's gorgeous, how do we cut costs? That was essentially what ended up killing the car, was that you ended up with this premium looking vehicle that looked as good as any Ferrari or anything like that, but at a build cost of a Mondeo. So it ended up Yeah, it ended up just dying. And the problem is in the car industry, and this has always been the case. You don't really get indie developers of cars, No, No, because.
Speaker 1: It's a massively expensive thing to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it but there was a lot of tryers during the seventies and eighties. A lot of the muscle cars came out of stuff like that because they were smaller developers. But again, like even the big ones, they were big in America. Dolaurians didn't really get shipped anywhere else.
Speaker 1: No, you never ever seen one. I've never seen one in Britain. I've seen that one except at like comic conventions where it's someone deliberately doing a back to the future.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing is even the revival of the car, and that the so there's over five thousand still in service, which is on bad for a vehicle that lasted one year and died on its ass. But again, like, let's be honest, if it weren't for Back to the Future, how many do you think would still be running? Yeah, you'd you'd maybe have twenty.
Speaker 1: How many in the world, how many of that five thousand have flux capacitors?
Speaker 2: And the question, the honest answer is I reckon probably about fifty percent, because I reckon most of the ones that have been recovered, restored and kept on the road are made.
Speaker 1: To look like the Back to I think I read that they chose the dolore In for the film specifically because it had that space shippy look.
Speaker 2: Yes, and this isn't unusual for films. What I think this did a lot better than something like Seven Days in May, where they just imported a bunch of old cars. This one took a car that was recently dead but still new enough for its era that it's still fit the modern you know supercar wedge shape that you know the testa Rotta was doing and all the modern Ferraris of the era, and they basically went, well, this has the similar shape. It's already gone, but it's super shiny because it's all silver and just built on that. Because it's not a standard DeLorean. Let's be honest, they've stuck like that. The big boxes at the back for which are like massive exhausts. Those aren't on a standard Delaorean. No. The rocket thrusters, yeah, but those are, I'll be honest. Those are some of the bits that help accentuate the look of the vehicle.
Speaker 1: So something that surprised me when I first watched Back the Future, having not seen it until I was thirty three and just having gathered it from cultural A's moss. Yes, the first time I watched it, I was legit shocked when Doc Brown gets shot. Yes, because I had always just been like, yeah, Doc Brown and Marty go back in time. I thought that was what the film was. And then it's like, oh no, Doc Brown dies and Marty goes back in time.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: One little detail I do like here, which I bet you I could see you've probably thought of it. Just a little thing that I did like is it's twin pines mall yep. And when he goes back in time, he knocks down one of the two pines. And then in the when he comes back to the future. It's lone Pine more or one. Yeah, lone Pine More, isn't it. Yeah? I liked I thought that was a little, a cool, little it's.
Speaker 2: A blink and you'll miss it sort of thing as well. Something I noticed and it's irrelevant. I don't know why they put it in. This is a line you could have cut and it would have made no difference. Just before the Libyans turn up, Doc Brown is trying to fill the car with the plutonium and et cetera, et cetera, and during his waffle, he talks to Marty about going into the future in the car and he mentions that he's allergic towards synthetic while wearing Latex gloves.
Speaker 1: I missed that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a bit of just goes. I can't buy clothes in the future. I've I'm allergic to all synthetics, and I'm like, you're wearing Latex marms, like you can't get much more synthetic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would agree with that.
Speaker 2: It's a really weird choice because again, it doesn't come up. It's not a bit later where it's like, oh my god, I'm wearing the synthetics.
Speaker 1: It's I I liked the little touch that when the dolorium comes back it's iced over. Yes, whenever it travels in time. I don't know if that would actually happen if you traveled in time, but I thought it was a cool fucking something I do.
Speaker 2: With how cold it is trans like going through.
Speaker 1: I think it's meant to be that if you're going faster than the speed of light, which you technically have to do to travel, then the heat from the sun isn't getting you. Ah, that's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: But I'm pulling that out my ass. Roberts and Mechis may have just had a bunch of dry ice laying around and been like, we've gotta find some use for this dry ice. One effect that's cool, but it has aged is when the Dolorean first travels, obviously it leaves the flaming skid marks. Like, yeah, it's very cool. A fact when the when the skid marks, could they go through their legs, don't they?
Speaker 2: Yes? That bit aged.
Speaker 1: That's that is such a clear, super superimposing.
Speaker 2: They're blue screened over like over the car park lot with the flames going between their legs. It's only for one very brief shot, and obviously at the time people would be like, wow, but you.
Speaker 1: Can see the edging that. Yeah, which you know, fear enough films due age.
Speaker 2: And you know what, I'd rather they didn't try and fix it too much nowadays, because A you probably can't and B it's the age of the film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't touch it. There's nothing worse, no reason to do a Star Wars digital, And there is nothing worse than people like George Lucas who won't stop going back and tweaking things and tinkering. No, let the film be a product of its time. If that means that at a certain point it's going to reach age where certain people turn around and go, well, I'm not gonna watch because it's too old. Fine their loss. Yeah, well, I actually had this conversation works today randomly at work today. Someone asked me if I watched black and white films, and I said, yeah, I watched black and white films. I named a few. He's went, oh, yeah, she went she she can't.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I spoke to her and she was like, you don't watch black and white steal. I was like, yes, I can't. I don't know how you can. How could you possibly watch Black and White. I was like, because they're so old, and when there are some modern black and white films, like you don't have yeah, yeah, and she went, well, I know Sin City. I was like, technically, yes, like there's there's there's different elements. But also like even if you are talking about old films, like if you haven't seen them, you don't really know what you're on about. Like I think the problem is when most people have been introduced to black and white films, they've been introduced to them when they're off sick at school or work, watching Channel four late in the afternoon while you know, if they're not on some sort of pain medication, and all that's on is those stupid old blacks. Don't worry in Ala all come from get a bad far out and it's literally just some kitchen sync drama bullshit because they're not gonna play the kren de la creme of black and white films at two pm on a Tuesday, So they think that's all black and white films? Is that sort of plodding the mush of black and white? But you get some like Black and White also exemplifies films that some films you quite colorize them, you ruin them because the black and white really show like noir films. Don't colorize the noir film for Christ's sake.
Speaker 1: No, but you know it's perfect. If people can't handle them, that's fine. Yeah, it's a different You have to have a switch in your brain. I think that lets you dial back because even take it's not just about the black and white. We focus on act. It's the mos obvious visual element. But filmmaking was just different then that it's slower, the camera doesn't move as much, it's a lot more static, there's less cuts.
Speaker 2: Well, it was evolving from how you just record a stage play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, literally, because that's literally how it starts, isn't it. And you know, and I completely undersigned someone who's raised on films today where an average shot is one and a half seconds, and.
Speaker 2: It's one after two seconds before you have to cut your shirt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's always something brand new for your eyes to look at. I completely understand why if they went back and looked at say Psycho, which is only nineteen sixty, it's not that long ago. It's a while, but it's not that long sixty.
Speaker 2: To seventy years ago.
Speaker 1: Jah, shut up, but Psycho, which you know, I can understand they would struggle with that because Psycho is a film that asks you to sit and steep in a slow building tension. Now I would I would urge people if you can, if you can make the effort to find it in yourself to give that a go, I highly recommend you do. It's totally worth it because Psycho is a fucking incredible moan and these other black and white movies like you say that are incredible as well. But at the same time, I also understand if you can't or if you aren't willing to. But yes, it's uh, it's one of those things. Why do be go on to that old George Lucas. Yeah, you have to let your film just be a time you know, part of its time period. Yep. I do want to put out a little fun factor that I noticed a little funny fun thing. Yeah. So the when he first gets When Marty first arrives in nineteen fifty five, it plays the song mister sam Man, bring Me a Dream.
Speaker 2: Right right.
Speaker 1: The dop for this movie is Dean Coundy. Right. Dean Coundy was also the dop on another film that famously uses that song, which is John Carpenter's Halloween. He was the dop on Halloween one, two and three. Nice but yes, no I saw it was a funny little coincidence. Dean Coundy famously dop Halloween one, two and three, which famously uses mister sam Man. In fact, if I remember, mister sam Man was the music that played on the DVD menu of Halloween two, and then he dop's this film and it's also got it in.
Speaker 2: I wonder if he had anything to do with that, or if it's just coincidence.
Speaker 1: It's probably just coincidence, but it could have been a funny little thing. Whereas the mechis was like, oh, let's do a little reference to John Carpenter.
Speaker 2: So I made a weird note here. I don't know why, but this film is two hours long. It takes thirty one minutes for Marty to travel into the past. So I mean, that's that's pretty good timing because that's a quarter of the film length. We've had what half an hour set up, so that's too bad. I don't know why, but I just thought a check note that, Oh yeah, I'll just put we never go into the future. The film should be called back to the present. Ah, oh, yes, yes, that's that's all I had on that. I don't I must have been very tad.
Speaker 1: To be fair, I don't actually have that many notes, which you could say is a good thing because it meant I was absorbed by the film.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, but I also lost interested in the film a couple of times. Okay, what did you think of the alien reveal of Marty? So he crashes in the bar, he crashed into the barn. The kid has a comic book which has like a man in what looks like a modern day has matt suit, and then he comes out and a has matt suit because of the plutonium thing, and they're just like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's an alien. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't mind that. I thought that was pretty good.
Speaker 1: No, I thought it was funny enough. And there is the bit where Marty texts quite a fall if I remember when he stumbles backwards, he trips over part of the bar.
Speaker 2: I did put here. He's really good at pratfalling. He does that very well. Also, it must have been really hard for him because I don't know if we're aware of this, but Marke J. Fox moonlit to do this film.
Speaker 1: Yes, because he was also doing family Family tipin cities later in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but he was the leading Family Ties and so basically he was he'd made an agreement that for two straight months he would work all day on Family Ties and then only film in evenings and maybe some weekends, which meant that he was basically working twenty four seven.
Speaker 1: I've seen a video about it where he'd get like ten minutes of sleep in the car ride from one sound studio to there.
Speaker 2: And I think you can. You don't really notice unless you're looking for it. But I'm fairly certain that the entire even though it's huge, the clock tower set is a set inside of a sound studio.
Speaker 1: I'm ninety percent sure, yes, because.
Speaker 2: I don't know how you'd get that much control of a real area if it was an actual town square. But number two like it kind of makes sense because of his shooting schedule. You have to set bits of it during the day, And I was like, how did they do these if he was only ever available at night? But you don't really see him during the day anywhere else.
Speaker 1: Well, for those who don't know, and I imagine everyone knows now. So I'll keep this brief because it's one of those things, like it's one of those things in the way that everyone also knows. Oh god, what's the film fact? Everyone else? Everyone knows that it took Jack Nicholson. They did one hundred and twenty seven takes of him going through the door in the shining and before he did the hears job.
Speaker 2: That was one of many takes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone already knows this, so I'm just going to say it very quickly in case anyone doesn't. Originally, because of the family ties thing, they didn't give Michael J. Fox the role, even though he was the first choice. They went with Eric Staltz. So Eric Staltz was originally then cast as Michael J. Fox and Malaura Hardin, the daughter of Jerry Hardin, was cast as Jennifer. They did. They actually shot several scenes with Eric Staltz before Robert Zemeckis kind of watched the Rushers back and was just like, it just isn't working. And it's not that k Staltz is a bad actor. It's just that he went comedy. You know, ex Stots went on Tivy his own separate career, didn't he Off the top of my head, he's in Anaconda with Jennifer not Jennifer love Hewett, Jennifer Lopez, but it wasn't right. He just wasn't right for the role, so they swapped him out for Michael J. Fox. They agreed to this arrangement as you've just said, where they were going to work sort of split. Unfortunately, Malaura Hardin also ended up being a casualty of this because she was taller than Michael J. Fox and Roberts and Mekis was like, I'm not sure this works, and he actually pulled the female cast and crew and said, would what do you think about this? And they unanimously voted that Jennifer couldn't be taller than Marty, which is ridiculous because he's in the film for like five minutes, I know. So unfortunately, Malaura Hardin was let go as well and replaced with Claudia Wells.
Speaker 2: So I did put the cocktown Square set does a really great job of establishing the fifties for Marty, and it's I do like the continuity, though this is not for this film when we come back here in the future and then back in the alternate present of the yeah in the second film, because those they do are such a good job utilized in this set for as much as they can get out.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I love when he gets back to the future or back to the present in this one. I love the country tst of you. You really realize that, oh yeah, this is the exact same set, but everything's just dirtier and dilapidated and more warn dad. But Marty likes it like.
Speaker 2: He looks because he's grown up, because it's what he expects.
Speaker 1: He's like a sweet home.
Speaker 2: I did notice that. So Mike goes into the diner, which will come back to several times in this film.
Speaker 1: Where people eat cereal. Yes, George Wick flies eating a bowl of cereal. Do you remember like I was about saying, you remember when diners did that? They never did it in Britain.
Speaker 2: But you know you'd never go into a diner in Britain and go conflicts.
Speaker 1: Conflicts oat milk. But I mean they semi skimmed. So you'll give me on that full fat golden top. Motherfucker, no fucking hell who has golden top? So he gets there, doesn't he? And I'm going to use this opportunity to talk about something that might be a little bit sketchy, maybe I'm reading too much into it. In the present, there's a guy called Goldie something who's the men Yes when he goes back to nineteen fifty five, and we should point out gold he's a black gentleman. When he goes back to nineteen fifty five. Goldie is basically the assistant at this Cereal milkshake bar that he's gone to, right, and he gives him the idea for running for mayor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because what he's cleaning the floor, he's basically a dog's body for the guy runs it. And when he goes, hey, I could be mayor. They were like black mirror, as if that'll ever happen.
Speaker 1: They kind of sanitize what nineteen fifty five was like as well, an't they Later on in the film, and I'm skipping a bit now, he is the famous bit where Martin ends up playing in the prom band Yes, and he plays a Chuck Berry song Johnny be Good, Yes, And they do a gimmick where the bad isn't it Martin Martin Berry, Yeah, the cousin the cousin of Chuck Berry, And he gives it's a bootstrap paradox where you know where did it come from? And there's a little bit and I'm sure it's not this. I'm sure it's just an accident, but there was a little bit of me that was watching it going, so all the things these black characters achieve in the future.
Speaker 2: This white guy did to be fair, I will give this film one potential out on it, and it doesn't really deserve it for this, but I'll try and I'll try and be fair. He kind of does that with everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't think it's an intentional thing at all.
Speaker 2: It just so happens because it's so obvious, because there's only two black characters with dialogue and both of them get saved by Marty.
Speaker 1: I think it's more ignorance than malice. Yes, it's just no one in nineteen eighty five thought could this be read in a bad way? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think I think that's probably about right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But yeah, so he's in this serial bar, he meets George McFly and Michael J. Fox. Oh, this is where we first get the first of many times we get the life present of a joke as well.
Speaker 2: I think, yes, because he goes to you, have you just come off the boat, like what you're wearing your life preserver?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah. One thing I think Michael J. Fox is very good at is playing this fucking just weirded out, like, oh my god, what's going on type guy? Yeah, goes lost in tire the look he gets. I love the shot where George Rett flies eat in his cereal and Michael J. Fox is at the side of him and the camera doesn't move. No, Michael J. Fox moves because ordinarily you'd move the camera to reveal him, but instead Michael J. Fox is just leaning further and further forward.
Speaker 2: Which looks good for the shot, but the reality of that it's weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then George mc fly Crispin Global without looking at him, just kind of freaks out and he's like what what And then of course Biff turns up and you get a fulllly bit where Biff. I do like the bit where Biff comes and he goes mc fly and they both turn Yes.
Speaker 2: God, Honestly, Tom Wilson deserves so much more than he got, I think following this film, because his Biff is great, Like, we needed a guy who was this scenery chewing twat and he just plays it to an absolute perfection. He is the Rau Julia of the film, Like raw Julia from Street Fighter is what I'm referring to, where he just owns the screen anytime he is on it, and you're like yes, and you keep going.
Speaker 1: Tom Shenanigan's happening here, George ment Fly flees yes. And this is a weird choice in the film when Marty catches up to him. So we know in the film before this part, we know that the wayler Rain meets George is her dad hits him with his car and he kind of asked the question what was he doing in the middle of the road anyway, and George ment Fly kind of just in the present just kind of goes another time. It's a story for another time type thing. We're seeing this. He's a fucking pervert. He's climbed up a tree and he's spying in a woman's window.
Speaker 2: Isn't it Lorraine herself?
Speaker 1: No, it's a different woman.
Speaker 2: I thought it was Lorraine. That's why he's because it's right outside of her house, isn't it. Because after he hits the kid, he goes I've heard another one right the kids on the street. I'm fairly certain it's meant to be Lorraine is getting changed with her window open. And he's on the tree outside spang with why do you need binoculars.
Speaker 1: Five feet away? Like, how bad is your eyesight? George wild Fly? But yet it's really weird, Like, and I know people it was a different time.
Speaker 2: I still don't think it was okay to like and fairly sudden voyeurism was still considered a shameful thing. Not saying that people didn't do it, and you know, I'm not gonna comment on the morality of it at this point, but because it's very long ago, and I wasn't alive in nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 1: They'd already done a horror film in nineteen sixty corn Peeping Tom that's about this sort.
Speaker 2: Of So it was a known it was, and it was a psycho is technically that because like throughout the film he's peeping on her, isn't he? So actually no, we knew damn well even in film that this was not the other problem that Okay, So this starts a problem with George McFly as a character, which is woman to root for George McFly to a certain level because we know that he gives birth to Marty and we want Marty to live, So Marty needs to make sure that George is up to the task of being you know, a little bit at least cool and self aware enough that he can pull the rain. But we get given no positives to George, no from his so we know in the future he's a weak, simpering nerd. We go back to nineteen fifty five, he's still a weak, simpering nerd, which at least that tracks. But then the next thing we see of him is, oh, and he's a perv who is voyeuristic and peeping through her window, and we never we never get a point where's just like, you know, I've got even the bit where we've learned that he's a writer and he's writing science fiction work, which is a cool anger, and you can go, Okay, this is a guy's kind of misunderstood. You could have developed that instead it's just like, yeah, sometimes right, a bit anyway, I'm going to try and spinn the rain and the nickols through the tree in the window. Again, You're like, there is nothing I like about this guy.
Speaker 1: At least Michael J. Fox plays the disgust exactly right ya. He's like, oh god, he's a peeping tom Yeah, because you'd be absolutely mortified if you found out that was your dad. Obviously, Marty ends up being the one who gets hit by the car this time, and that starts us off on this whole comfortable train where he gets taken to Lorraine's house by her dad and he's like passed out, so they let him sleep in the bed. Yes, and she's taken his trousers off Calvin because of the Calvin Kline underwear. Yes, yeah, no, this is just weird that he's his own mum wants. I mean, I know she doesn't know she's his mom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a bit, it's kind of weird. They do pay that off later in the film. Obviously, she's got the hots for him the whole way through the film, and she goes, oh, it's weird. It's like kissing my uncle or my brother, my brother, and but it's weird that it took her kissing him to feel that problem.
Speaker 1: But yes, it's it's a little weird and uncomfortable, and it is not what I thought Back to the Future was when I first watched it.
Speaker 2: Yes, because it doesn't come back in the other two well, actually no, in the second one, there is at least a moment of it when he goes into the future changes the past and comes back to the altered present, and Biff's married to Lorraine in Trump Tower and his mum has had fake boobs put in right, and he goes, bom, you're so so Something that's weird in this that is a callback is com Yeah, even though she wasn't really fat in the present, every single five seconds at the post you're so fit right. Well, in the second one, he sees that she's got these massive fake boobs installed and he goes, Mom, you're so big really yeah? So actually no, to be fair, this is a kind of a theme in the whole trilogy. I can't remember anything in the third film that does it, but who at this point, if I watch it again, I wouldn't be surprised. Was like, Mom, you're so ye haw.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 2: I couldn't think of anything else to go with big and small, so yew was good enough.
Speaker 1: So Marty ends up realizing that what he's got to do is make sure that they go to the prom together. Yes, the problem is and it won't surprise anyone. Lorraine doesn't really want to go to the prom with George McFly on account of the fact that he's a weird and she wants to go with Marty instead. Now tell me the truth. How much did you nerd rage when Marty decides to convince George to ask Lorraine to the prom by putting on his spacesuit, appearing in his bedroom at night with us think a smoke machine and saying, I am Darth Vader from the planet through the he's got a walkman as an age. Yeah, And he says, I am Darth Vader from the planet Vulcan, and he does the I can't do it, but he does the spock Vulcan thing. I can't do it.
Speaker 2: It takes a while to practice. Yeah, make your fingers manually do it. After a while, you'll get used to it and you can be able to do it without it. But where's my weekends?
Speaker 1: Motherfucker double Vulcan. He's achieved a lot in your life. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I don't have a wife, I don't have a relationship, I don't have children, I don't have a career.
Speaker 1: But I can do the on both hands without having to do it. Now I look like a frog.
Speaker 2: I did want to say. Something I do like in this film is us. It's got an almost expert framing in almost every scene he's shot gorgeously.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Dan Kundy is an excellent d P.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And there's several times that before it's even introduced into being relevant to a conversation or to a scene, you'll get glimpses of the clock tower all the way through the film and you'll be like, oh, the clocktails on the back of that piece of paper mart is holding up the dot. Can't see. It's not relevant to this scene. And then about a minute later it'll become relevant to the scene. But Scott the clock tower and the lightning pot, and so it's quite smart in the way that it utilizes its visual language.
Speaker 1: I think has going for it the clock tower because we're on a litteral clock, which is they need the lightning bolt to power the Dolorean, and they know when the lightning bolt's going to strike. So the whole film has this impending clock on it, yes, where they have to be ready by that time. And by keeping the image of the clock ever present throughout the film, yes, not only are you keeping the theme of time but you're also making it this constant looming thing of time is run.
Speaker 2: Out, yes, which is hard to do it a time travel thing that time is running out, but they do a very good job with that last thing I mentioned before we get to back to the diner and start kicking into the last part of the film is basically Marty ends up getting aggressive with Biff and Biff goes to beat him up in school until the principal stairs out and he goes, you're new here, so i'll give you. I'll give you a purse this time, and then he goes, so why don't you make like a tree and get out of here.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, well, they do that line in I wonder if it's a reference. Now, I'll never put that together. That line is in I know your favorite episode of That's TC. That line is in Zombie Strippers. There's a bit where Robert England says to that he's at the end of the day where he's leting all the strippers go home, and he goes, go on, get get out of here, make like a tree and get the fuck out of it. And I always thought, I know this gun has stupid, but I never knew what that meant. So I was always like, I'm guessing. Because this film is supposedly set in a semi apocalyptic future where George Bush has declared himself the forever President. Yes, And I think in that you know that very terrible beginning text spiel that's in Zombie Shippers, where it's basically like Chief Supreme cut Justice Jenna Bush held another Supreme care go and I'm sure it said something in there about global warming, getting Outcatol, all the trees dying. So I was assumed Rob England was doing a reference to the fact that there's no trees anymore, right, because the environment's dying. But you see trees in the scene where in a handful of scenes that are outside, I reckon that's a budget limitation, a bit like when we were split second and London is completely flooded, but there's loads of area shots where you can clearly see it's not. I'm just wondering if it is a back to the future reference.
Speaker 2: Actually could be a bit reference. So something that I find interesting is we return to the diner, and when we get to that point, the diner is incredibly smoky. They walk in and they smoke everywhere across the diner, which is great because it gives you that impression of, like, you know, the fifties were different time you could smoke in the diner even if you were younger. Interesting fact, if you look around, because I did, I was that hang on, not a single person is smoking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I admit I didn't notice that the diner was smoking.
Speaker 2: It was only on this particular scene. But yeah, for some reason, the diner is cut. This is where Lorraine is in the diner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and George McFly goes up to her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the entire diner is filled with smoke. Only on this scene. Now one is smoking. The closest we get is as George approaches Lorraine's table from his POV, the girl opposite her on the table is feigning to smoke a cigarette using a wooden stirer. But that actually doesn't match the next cut when then cuts to the side of the table as Georgia arrived, right, And it's really weird thing. It was like literally notn't smoking, And it's like they wad pretend to smoke with a stirr so people know why it's smoking.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: That's one of those things I think like in the edit edited version of ET, which has now gone back and unedited, Spielberg removed all the shotguns and stunned the guns from the police and replaced them with the walkie talkies.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it looked stupid. Of course it did, because you don't hold walky talkies like that.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, this is where Biff comes in and Marty trips him, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I put here Tom Wilson is brilliant younger bif.
Speaker 1: Oh and this is this the bit that leads into the action sequence where they're chasing around this Marty on the skateboard. Yes, and they end up doing the oh so clever gag where they crash into the manure truck and they're like, oh shit, and then actual shit.
Speaker 2: I have to say I love the chase. The chase was really inventive. The way he defeats Biff throughout the chase or escapes and defeats himself. I really like that. It does come back in the second film on the horror boards. Yes, and he ends up crashing into him on track and get it. But yeah, there was I actually thought it was a really good chase sequence.
Speaker 1: Jokes in Back to the Future three, doesn't he end up in crashed into a wagon full of Yes he does.
Speaker 2: I think it's a thing that happens to Biff in every film. Christoph Lloyd really seems to have developed into the role over the film, so he's much more comfortable in nineteen eighty five again we seem to but then there's a lot more script for him to run by. The only time we actually see Doc Brown before Marty goes back into the past is in the scene where he's explaining the dolor in and he's just basically info dumping, so we actually get a really nice amount of information about Doc as a person and the way he actually works, and then we get to guessing that basically the third act, Marty sets up an idea that he's gonna he's basically because George has been so shit at trying to pull the rain. He goes, right, I'm going to go to the dance with Lorraine, and then what will happen is that I'll basically.
Speaker 1: Make a bad guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, be a bad guy. I'll, like, you know, go to attack her in a certain way. You open the door, go hey, get your hands off her, and punch me in the face and then you look like the big hero. But over the course of events of the night, he gets replaced with Biff because he gets dragged out and Biff finds Lorrain alone in the car, which is a very good reveal by the way, because you see the door open. Yeah, you see the hand grab Marty, and you assume it's George because you've seen George leave the dance, yes, and you're like, okay, well we know this mount and then when he pulls him out, it's actually Biff, and it's the way it's shot is a very good reveal. Earlier in the film, I wanted a little bit more of shades of dark with how he used to bully present day George. What we get here is dark enough for back to the future. I understood they weren't going to go mega dark, and that's understandable. But I'll tell you what, Biff in this sequence where he's clearly going.
Speaker 1: To he's gonna rape Lorraine.
Speaker 2: Yes, during that sing, you you get enough threat from him that you feel you're like, he's gonna get away with it if someone doesn't stop him. You get enough threat for that. Meanwhile, it's light enough that it would still be accessible to a family audience. But yeah, I have to say again that was something else that Biff does very well is yes, he's a comedy villain, but when it comes down to it. It seems like this he is genuinely terrified.
Speaker 1: It caught me off guard because I did not expect it. I was like, okay, yeah, you're you're the villain of the film, but you're just a bully, like it never goes beyond giving wedgies and nouggies and that's the sort of thing. And then you're like, oh no, oh no.
Speaker 2: But then George comes along and saves her. You know, that's cool. But he punch.
Speaker 1: He knocks out Biff in one punch. Yeah, did you know that in a previous draft of the script, after that future George or present George, whatever you want. Adult George in one of Prestress was a champion heavyweight boxer, and the idea was meant to be that that taught him that he's got an amazing knockout punch. Right Luckily, thank god, someone I think it was Spielberg, make the right call of Gwen. No, you've lost the character's relatability now, yeah, because now.
Speaker 2: He's gone from epic nerd to like super strong bubby.
Speaker 1: Have him be a sci fi author instead?
Speaker 2: Well, what so, there's something that it still leaves a problem for me because I said it's easily rectified by giving Georgia a hobby that means he works his arms in some way. Could be fishing, could be panking. Yeah, but he's in the goon is but I mean he was. He wasn't meant to be from a rich family, so he could have been chopping wood for the family fire something like that. So he's got strong arms because he's so afraid, he just never really uses them, which would then give him some sort of heft to knock out Biff in one punch. Anything to suggest how a weedy man with literally zero fight experience is able to spark out the school's biggest bully, it won hit.
Speaker 1: I think maybe it's meant to be one of those things where it's a it's a typical bully trope is they can dish it out but not take it. So actually Biff can go around beating people all he wants, but he's got a glass jaw. And the only reason, the only reason no one knows that because no one's ever been brave enough to actually hit him back.
Speaker 2: Possibly possibly, I'm also put it so blatantly not Michael J. Fox's voice when it's saying Johnny, it's like it's not even a sound alike, Like normally you'd hire a really good vocalist who's not Michael J.
Speaker 1: Foxx, who sounds like they could be.
Speaker 2: Could Yeah, this is just like you might as we have just got Barry White to do it.
Speaker 1: To be honest, is he not? Is it just the actual Chuck Berry song?
Speaker 2: It could?
Speaker 1: Or is it? It's definitely not. It's definitely not Michael J. Fox But this bit's very cool where they're playing like the big band swing music. Yeah, and then he sobs in, isn't it. I don't know if this is a skill. I think some musicians, like really good musicians can do this where they can play a song without ever having heard it. If it's basic enough, they can just.
Speaker 2: Well, usually you'd have to turn around and go, okay, we're playing in CEA. I don't know if you could do that with Johnny be good with their not having been a prior to Johnny, certainly the energy, they probably play it like an old fifty swing band rather than like the rock and roll.
Speaker 1: He says something like he tells him like what key it's in? Yeah, and then he says something about like oh high's at the end. Watch me for the Changers. Let's go.
Speaker 2: I don't know enough about music enough, but I assume it's not.
Speaker 1: No, I would assume not to play it so perfectly. So Biff sticks Marty in the get in the bonnet of another car, doesn't he No, he puts me in the boot bonnet, Yeah, of the well, the trunk of the band's car.
Speaker 2: I skip back.
Speaker 1: I've skip back. We've already moved on to the band, haven't we Sorry, we're doing the band. Yes. I like the fact that he plays Johnny b Good and he's very energetic, like well done to him, and he does the famous I think it's a move Chuck Berry used to actually do where crouches down and sort of duck walks across the stage while he's playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm basically just doing the music video Johnny be Good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good. I do like the bit where he finishes the song. He looks back at everybody. Everyone's just like hair and he's like, I guess you're not ready for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but your kids are gonna love it. It did depress me watching this to realize that if you did a modern back to the future and he went back in time, thirty years. It would be nineteen ninety six, six years after I was born.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they would they would be playing spice skills. Yeah, you're right, ninety six. Okay, So there's so Marty goes back to the car to you know, do the runs, try and get himself back to the future. There's an emotional moment where Marty tries to warn Doc of his best sceneing film. Yeah, that is played brillantly. It's a little let down, not in the scene itself, in the fact that we didn't get enough backstory of these two together in the future, but the scene itself, as you say, brilliant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because dogs told Marty. As we said, Doc gets shot the day that the Dolorean takes off, Yes.
Speaker 2: Because I'm going to be doing so much time travel, and it's just like, you're not.
Speaker 1: And Marty keeps trying to tell him, but Doc Brown's like, no, no, I don't want to know anything about the future.
Speaker 2: You have to tell me. I'll find out myself, yeah.
Speaker 1: In time, And it's like yeah. So Marty decides to write it in a letter and then writes on the letter don't open till nineteen eighty five. But when he tries sneaking it into Doc's pocket. Doc finds it, and obviously Doc knows that he can't even have that because the temptation will always be there. Yeah, to open it.
Speaker 2: And it rips it up, doesn't he. What's interesting about the whence that follows is essentially the idea is that they needed plutonium to generate one point two eight gigawatsigjiga?
Speaker 1: Does that fucking annoys me that he keeps calling it jiggerwatts and you're like, you must know it's giga right well, to be honest, ban in eighty five, they probably didn't, but Doc Brown should. Doc Brown's one of those people would pronounce gift of Jeff, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a new animated Jiff for you, Marty. But yeah, so he They can't get plutonium in nineteen fifty five, but the only thing that could generate it is the bottle lightning, which is why they need to go to the clock tower because they know exactly when that's going to get struck. And during this whole sequence, it's kind of weird because it's all just delaying time. There is no reason that this couldn't just be a quick, short sequence of It's happened Boom for he's going to the future. But I kind of want to get your thoughts on whether or not you think this was worth it. Like there's a lot of things that this this sequence does, where like it kind of references old horror films, like the melodramatic version of Hunchback of Notre Dame, because he goes up the clocktown and then the bell starts chiming, and you just get loads of dock mooning and the camera going ah, the sound of the bells. He does everything but the bow under me, but he's yeah, and then there's him hanging off the actual clock itself and stuff like that. I'm not sure those hands would have held his body.
Speaker 1: Wave what tries to plug the cable in and it's a little bit too short because.
Speaker 2: The amount of times that's happened to me when I've moved my mildier visual equipment and you're just like, give me more fucking gable. Best Marty gets back to the future regardless of all of this, and so they do something I like here, Again, it's a choice. They could have done a lot cheaper by just showing us the chase sequence of doc getting shot and Marty escaping using the shots we saw but at the beginning of the movie. But what we get instead, which is much better, is we see the entire sequence again but from Marty's new perspective, which is from you know, him observing from afar, And that's really cool. It's always nice to see the same events again but from a different angle. And then it's okay, so I've got to talk about this. So Doc isn't dead. It turns out that he basically stapled the fucking message back together and read it and realized that he was going to get killed by the Libyans, so he was wearing a bulletproof veest. So they shoot the crap out of him. But it doesn't matter. He's wearing the bulletproof fest he's safe and.
Speaker 1: I'm just still looking.
Speaker 2: None of them bullets hit his head, Yeah, every single one of them hit his chest, and you're like, one bullet, one bullet in the face, just in the arm would have ruined it, because obviously he's playing dead when he's been shot in the chest. But if they just shot him.
Speaker 1: In the other and we'd be like, oh, yeah, doubt he's good enough to hide that page yeah, exactly, or one in the nut.
Speaker 2: What's weird about the next bit is so Doc survives, and the next we realistically sees Marty wakes up in bed at home and he's just like, oh, it's all a dream, and I'm like a little bit vivid for me to just wake up the next day go oh oh, that was a weird dream. Like he's been living it for like three days, at least a week a week.
Speaker 1: They literally say he's got to be there for a week.
Speaker 2: So like, yeah, I don't believe that after a week you'd be like, oh, what a terrible dream. But anyway, the reason for this is that he walks downstairs and his normal home has been renovated into what was at the time a very stylist looking home. It's quite dating now. And as we mentioned earlier, his brother is a suit he's doing a job where he's wearing a suit. His sister's doing a little bit better for herself as well. And then his parents walk in and his dad is a successful sci fi author, his mum is a lot happier with him. He seems a lot more sure of himself. Now. What's interesting is Biff's entire family line has also been altered. So whereas Biff was, you know, Biff still could have been a dickhead middle management guy, but he's not. This is like just to go go oh though they had for you, mister McFly, polishing up the cars, like doing just general dog's body work, like a lap dog, And it's like, why would Biff?
Speaker 1: That's a message. You're right, that's a message I actually didn't like as a as.
Speaker 2: A younger personally, he had to lose for them to win.
Speaker 1: As a younger person, I could get why you'd make that the ending because as a young person where you're young and you've like been bullied at school, that that is cathartic. Yes, everything works out and the bully gets their come up, and as an adult who's older and supposedly wiser, you kind of look at it and go So Biff was obviously a bad guy as a teenager, but he doesn't get a chance to make up for those mistakes, like it's redmp that's doomed his entire life. But then again, he also did try and rape Thiggy, soh so actually my sympathy, But how does he.
Speaker 2: Go from that to the simpy guy that.
Speaker 1: It doesn't really fit, does it.
Speaker 2: No, he's clearly there.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think I'm guessing they already knew they were gonna do the sequel, because it's it's just set up for the sequel, because if I'm writing the sequel, he's that pathetic version, isn't he. And then he gets the Almanact.
Speaker 2: No souse, it kind of it kind of destroys itself. So according to the Cannon as it would be at this point, he was the rapee jock guy in the in his youth. He then became a simpering guy who just polished the car for George, and then as he gets older in the future, he then sees Martin mc fly by the Sports Almanac and finds this time machine, and he's a grouchy get going hello, and he's back to being a bit of a bully. And then he goes back in time gives the nineteen fifty five self of him the Almanac so that he can become rich. So that which is a great storyline again something we'll discuss more if and when we do the second film, but it essentially means that it's Biff is only a simpling twat in this slither of time in this one timeline, he's not like even in the future of that character. He goes back to being old Biff, which is kind of weird. Something I do want to say is, and that's never mentioned in the entire trilogy. Marty is surprised to find that his family are much more successful. Every other change that's been made in history, Marty has basically been the only reason to know that history is playing out differently, and in this occasion, history is playing out differently. His parents are a success, He's families of success. Biff is different, but Marty doesn't know why. He just knows he's made a change in fifty five and now everything's different. And what I think a third film should have been, rather than The Wild West, because I don't particularly care for that idea, is this this film is about the past. The second film is about the present because it's got the alternate present created by Biff getting the Almanac in nineteen fifty five. The other one is about well and they go into the future. Sorry, And then the third one should have been about the fact that Marty can't really connect with his family anymore, because if you think about it, all the little things you have, if like all the jokes you have with your family are do you remember when we did this?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, and how would that affect?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Yes, his family are doing much better and they're still alive, but they're not really his family anymore, because the entire connecting thread between them and him doesn't connect into any of his memories. And I think that would have been an interesting side to play out. Didn't necessarily have to end in a dark way. You could have found a positive end to it. Essentially, that end would have been this is his coming of age story, and it's as he leaves the home he's become. In this sense, it's exaggerated to the fact that he's a time traveler, but essentially, as he comes of a and becomes an adult, he realizes he no longer fits into the home dynamic and has to go out on his own, which is what the lessons he learns from the dock and eventually becomes a time traveler having the adventures he wants. Right. Number one, that would have been good if you wanted to make sequels or cartoons, spin offs, things like that, which is great for the marketing department. But number two, it's also much better for a story narrative than seeing Wild West Biff. It has a lot more impact because you're actually giving us a story about Marty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, the Wild Way. I've only I've seen the trilogy once and I remember the Wild West one feeling out of place.
Speaker 2: It was meant to be so Back to Future two and three were meant to be one movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that's very much evident when you watch Back to the Future eventually.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest, the Wild Worst bit was unnecessarily regardless, like adding it to two would have ruined two, and having it as his own film wasn't enough to substantiate itself. So I just find it weird that there was this potential better element they could have used that actually impacts the characters, and they just didn't go with it. I've got one last thing I just want to know if there's any because of mine is about the very end. Do you have anything else you've you're not the own before?
Speaker 1: I get no, not really, I yeah, no, not really.
Speaker 2: So my last couple of bits is I love the last line, which is where we're going. We don't need Rhods classic line. But last thing where I'm like, this doesn't really work so Marty finds Jennifer. They're about to go out and do something. Doc pulls up in the Dolorean. Marty, we've got to go back to the fieldal Mardy, kids, Mardy, Jennifer's right there has no idea about the rest of this film. That's no idea what they're talking about. And he's just up the duck. One of our Jennifers. She should come to it. It concerns her future. Quickly, they all just bundle into the car, including Jennifer, with zero questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jennifer has no lines. I don't know a single She's not all like, what this crazy old man doing here driving a.
Speaker 2: Dolore and what's this flux capacitor ship?
Speaker 1: What do you mean time travel?
Speaker 2: Yeah? She just sits in there and he's just like, so where we're going dark? And he just goes where we go we don't need.
Speaker 1: Roads and the car flies.
Speaker 2: Yes, And she's just sat there going, well, I wonder where we're going to day? Give this Jesus.
Speaker 1: I feel like she's the I feel like she's the dog in the house on fire meme. This is fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's just fucking lived it all right, This is fine. But yeah, that's my last road baby.
Speaker 1: Okay, then, Raussam, how do you feel after a second take about Back to the Future. Does it deserve its place in film history?
Speaker 2: I think it does hold up, yes, and no. I think it holds up for the nostalgia sake. If you have been staged for this, it will definitely hold up. And I don't think there's anything anyone could say to make you hate this film. This film has more plot holes than the second one, and the second one is not exactly free of them either, but this one has a lot more holes and I just find the whole Hey, my mum fancies me a bit creepy, so it's not really my gym something I will say, And maybe I might be right wrong. This might be something I'd actually asked the audience to comment on and see what they feel, because my ex used to really like this film, that she thought this was the best one and I didn't. And I after talking to a few people that preferred and didn't prefer this film, the common thread I found with those who really preferred it and thought this was the best of the trilogy was they were what they would say is going, Oh, but don't you think it would be cool to, you know, go and see what your parents were like in school. No, and yeah, for me, the answer is no, I don't. I don't really want to go and see my mum and dad in school. But and I know my dad was doing stupid, pranky things like he used to toilet paper the outside of the building and get away with it because they never figured out it was him. But you also used to get caned quite a lot, which would have been fun to watch. And so but it's one of those things where it's like, I know my parents as they are now. I don't really want to meet them at a point where they would because that's part of their history that they'd want to keep to themselves. There's parts that we all do. Certainly when we've grown up, we make mistakes that you don't then pass on to your children. And yet if you were to go back, you to see all those mistakes. I know my parents for who they are and how they present since I've been born, and that's what I'd like to know of them. And if they tell me anything about their past, that'd be great, But it's I don't want to also remove their narrative because the thing is they've been certainly my dad. My dad tells a lot of stories about himself. Fast to think, actually you got the details wrong, It breaks in because it's his story to tell.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess those people are the target audience though, because I don't know if you've read this. Zamechis uh. I was reading about the production and the pre production of the film, and zamechis like, the thing that inspired him to write this story was he was looking at his dad's school yearbook, Yeah, and saw a picture of his dad, and he just randomly got the thought, I wonder if we'd have been friends. Probably not, Yeah, And he thought, I'm going to make a film about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I mean it's I like, as an idea, it's cool, but it's not something that I've ever been interested in my own family life. I think that's where your line would normally be correct me. If I'm wrong, audience, you know, obviously go into the discord or emailing say your piece. But I think to really think, to really appreciate this film at its best, you would kind of have to be the sort of person that does that question. Would I have been friends or would I you know, how cool? Would it have been to see my parents when they were young. If the answer for you is yeah, that would have been smoking cool, then this is film for you. If not, it's still enjoyable film. It's still a good film, but I don't think it will hit the same beats that it does for the other people. What about you?
Speaker 1: So, like I said at the start, I don't have nostalgia for this in the way that other people know. So I'm not going to see it and claim I loved this film. I enjoyed it. It's a good film. Yeah, it's a perfectly enjoyable film. I can see why it's got the place in history that it's got. It's the highest grossing film of nineteen eighty five. They ended up making three of them. Like you said, they've also done a stage musical that apparently is brilliant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i've heard from what I've seen it, but yeah.
Speaker 1: No, neither of I. But I've heard it's great. Yeah, I don't regret having watched it. I don't regret having given it a second take. Like I said, it's never going to have the cultural grip on me that it has on a lot of people my age.
Speaker 2: But it's definitely one you need to see as a kid.
Speaker 1: I had a good time. There are some weird fucking choices in it. Yeah, but I had a good time, and it's it is. Marty and Dock will be pop culture forever. Like you know, no matter what happens going forward, that image will be pop culture for a very long time. Anyway. That is back to the future, and that is the end of Listener Request month. Thank you everyone for tuning in with us over the last few weeks. We are going to go on a little bit of a break now, but don't worry, it won't be for too long. If all goes to Planet's about a month and a half, about six weeks. We already have the next season planned. We know what episodes we're doing, We've got some guests lined up, and we're gonna be off to a big start. So we'll see you in about a month and a half for season four of Second Take Cinema. Until then, have a great early summer period as wo our guests.
Speaker 2: We would call this now. Yeah, May, May and June is.
Speaker 1: Sort of early summer, early summer, early summer. Peace out