Speaker 1: What is up, fellas that goes I am dan Fa Valley coming at you with the one, the only, the certified refreshed. I can only imagine while he was on vacation, mister Grant Hughes. We're doing NBA Factor Fiction Dds.
Speaker 2: Edition Dog Days of Summer.
Speaker 1: Are going to go through a bunch of topics, some topical, some big picture, some a little inflammatory because I like to throw things at Grant and force him to deliver takes. But we welcome back Grant. I'm so excited to have you back. I apologize for doxing where you were headed on vacation, but I am pleased report you didn't text me, email me saying that paparazzi or anyone bothered you while you were in Parts unknown.
Speaker 2: Now we will call it.
Speaker 1: So thank you everyone for letting Grant and his family just you know, thank you for respecting their privacy. It's just when he goes out in public a lot people recognize him from the show, so it's tough. And I apologize to letting everyone know which state you were headed to for vacation.
Speaker 3: It's hard. It's hard, you know, like you want to live a normal life and just you know, look, nobody's sympathetic to the world famous. I just wanted I'm really I thank you for for that. Just that that intro was refreshing. I feel refreshed by that. I just wanted to get first before we do anything else, your takes on how Lebron's gonna look with the Warriors. Because I was gone, so I didn't see any news. I just I assume that's what happened. I just like, how do you like? What are their championship pods?
Speaker 1: I was actually curious how plugged in you were going to be about the Lebron news while you were away, because you do force yourself to unplug, which is smart. But you were into discord like pretty soon as after the news, which leads me to believe that you were you were really hoping it was the Warriors, so that must have been I mean feeling okay.
Speaker 3: I was hoping that. I was pretty clear to anybody that listened at any point since that possibility kind of over the past five years. Yeah, well, at any point in history. But yeah, how plugged in was I I don't know, Like I told you, I saw, I did not see a single snippet of anything on any social media platform, which is, you know, not that hard for me really, but uh but that was nice.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I got the ESPN app on my phone and I read the headlines there and read articles that are of interest to me and Lebron stuff.
Speaker 1: I said, ESPN, But you meant Bleacher Report, right, just as a company man?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, that too, and I and so I just I consumed it. I feel like the level at which I consumed NBA news on vacation was that of like a seventy five year old that only watches TV, you know, like or maybe like reads a national newspaper, which don't exist anymore, except if you're seventy five, and you still get a physical newspaper.
Speaker 2: So still get a physical newspaper.
Speaker 3: I wish, I wish. I used to love getting a newspaper right to the sports section. Remember that as a kid. Did you get? As a kid? Did you get?
Speaker 2: Do you remember?
Speaker 1: That's how we I followed, Like Kobe Bryant's free agency. At one point when he was considered, the Knicks were trying to sell him on signing for like four million bucks because his Nike endorsement would go through the roof or something. And looking back, I'm wondering, wouldn't that have been salary caps or convention to prom with that pub But you followed that like.
Speaker 2: In the newspaper looking through every day. I was like seven years old or whatever it was.
Speaker 3: I want to take that segue, but I'm not because I want to relate to you my newspaper story from my youth. So this must have been like nineteen ninety two or three where I would watch every Warriors game obviously, but those started at seven thirty and at that age, like, I'm not making it to like ten pm or whatever, so I wouldn't see the end of the game.
Speaker 2: Are I went to ten pm? Now? No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I probably used to be able to stay up later. But I would get the newspaper in the morning and every day go right to the sports section, check the box score to see how many points Latrell's free well scored. And then I would check because they would list like the top ten scorers, rebounders, and assist guys in the league, and I'd be like, he's up to twenty one point two, that's top twelve because he had twenty six last night. And I would just I would just follow what Latrell Spreewell's points per game were in the newspaper every day, and I was like, this, what could be better that we've gone astray? It was a better time when that's how you like learn.
Speaker 1: I also wonder how much of it is like us romanticizing our youth when we didn't really have like we had time to sit. Are you would you have time to sit through a newspaper right now?
Speaker 3: I mean i'd make time. I really wish we still got a physical newspaper. I guess I could, but it's like, I don't know, it's you know what it is a youth. Think we're romanticizing youth because it wouldn't feel the same. It wouldn't feel as incredible to be like I have all this information that it just and it comes every day incredible.
Speaker 2: You would find out things.
Speaker 1: Imagine if you only consume news that way now, though, you would find out especially doing what you do, you'd be like the last to know everything.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm already kind of the last to know most stuff though, so it wouldn't be that different for me.
Speaker 2: It would just be like, hey, when it came to Lebron, you were plugged. I mean, you were in the Discord.
Speaker 3: We haven't really I was. I was surprised, right were you? If you just had to say, like what was your initial emotional up Like it was surprising because like the Sixers didn't make I've now talked myself into like, you know what, I guess it kind of like I think I even said this on Discord, like I sort of get it, like they need a guy at that position, and yeah, maybe they're gonna you know, they're better than the Warriors if everything breaks right, they're better than however, many other teams you want, like of the of the Suitors that like it got narrowed down to I sort of get it, but it was still like, huh, like that's weird. There's like no because there's no like narrative explanation for it to me, And maybe that's what I was focused on.
Speaker 1: I thought the narrative explanation was they have a forty three year title drought, and so if you end that as part of it while winning a title, like your fourth title with a different team, I know people will say Jordan won all his titles with one team, or like switching teams made Lebron a mercenary, winning four titles with four different teams, especially you know, the past two coming in the age of parody, like the Lakers one and then if he won one with Philly.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: If you read the Dave mcmahamon piece about the behind the scenes stuff, the source saying their fan base and like how thirsty they are for a title really factored in. That was the moment I was convinced. I was already a little convinced because Rich Paul had said it. I was thinking, oh, he he was going to the Knicks if they didn't win the chance, he was going to try to go to the Knicks if they do.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna ask you that if the Knicks don't win the title, he goes there, right, Like, I think.
Speaker 1: I think that's and there are probably other changes made at that point by them. So but yeah, that it's confirmed to me, especially because he's living in New York too.
Speaker 2: Now that also confirmed to me that. Okay, so he's doing the JJ Reddick.
Speaker 1: He talked to the Sixers about it, but it was surprising and they look, we have a factor fiction on the Sixers.
Speaker 2: If you want to, we want to start there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, h where's that?
Speaker 2: When I go factor fiction.
Speaker 1: The Philadelphia seventy six ers will have a top fifteen defense.
Speaker 3: So I had to look up what they were last year, and it was seventeenth. And they have lost several guys that if I'm a little skeptical of some of the numbers because they just don't pass the smell test, but like, they've lost several players that were pretty significantly positive plus minus contributors as far as they're like on off defensive efficiency numbers. They also lost Kelly Oubrey, who was like by far one of their worst on off defensive helpful pieces, which is like, okay, it's kind of like that doesn't quite check out either. He's not great, but he's like not terrible. Like Quentin Grimes is gone, I should have I should have left it up. Paul George is gone. He was a hugely positive defensive force. There's another guy who I can't remember. They didn't have like crazy opponent three point shooting luck one way or the other, if you want to say they were, they were a little bit luckier than unlucky in terms of like how accurately opponents shot threes. So I guess, like my response is answer the question with a question like what reason is there for them to be better than they were last year, which was seventeen. So I guess I would have to just say fiction because I don't feel like Jalen Brown plus maybe steps forward from VJ Edgecomb is enough to make some massive difference, especially if you just I think Don Barlow is he gonna play more because he was a huge defensive piece for them last year just based on the numbers, even though he didn't play a ton, I just don't see the reason to be like, yes, absolutely, they'll be above the midline defensively.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it starts with the one question would be does Joel Embiid just play in more games? And if he does, do you think he is still capable of elevating the defense because there were moments during the playoffs, quite a few of them where I think you would come away feeling differently.
Speaker 3: I mean, I I don't feel confident saying Joel Embiid will definitely be a helpful player full like, and you just you can add whatever end of the sentence you want on that, right, like how many you know is he going to be a net positive offensive player? Does he is he going to definitely fit? Is he going to definitely be a good like I don't know. I think if I had to guess, like, I think he's probably not going to be a good defensive player like and and you can get away with you can cheap out and say because he's gonna miss half the games or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's not like a totally fair way to analyze it. But I don't imagine him being consistently more mobile or have or to have greater stamina as he continues to age, right, Like, I don't know anything possible, but I don't see him being being likely to play more or play better than he did last.
Speaker 2: Year, which I think is also fair.
Speaker 1: I look at it as I do think at least as a zero win or have to defend the top guy. A top guy, Jalalen Brown is an upgrade over Paul George defensively.
Speaker 3: Would you say that on well, you can make the same sort of hacky criticism of Paul George as I did of h Beeb's, like, well, how good a defender is he if he's on the bench for half the season, But like, do you think Jalen Brown on balance is a more impactful overall defensive piece than Paul George.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say yes, just because I think that there's value in seid Like you're gonna go up against teams when you look at how many teams or the best teams are trying to assemble like X number of ball handlers, I think it's valuable to who you're gonna trust to, you know, defend at the point of attack or another advantage creator. Are you trusting Paul George or Jalen Brown? I know NBA defense is way more complicated than that. Yeah, if you have to defend a strong link not one of the weak links.
Speaker 3: I think you're probably right that. But that's even more of a playoff thing, right where it's like we have to stop this guy and he's gonna be in space isolated a lot. Jalen Brown's better at that. If you're talking regular season defense, I think the game's played thing is just I don't know what to do with that, but I would say Paul George is a better overall defensive piece than Jalen Brown is over the course of a season. Most of that's off ball, but like, yeah, I don't know. I guess like here's the thing you're asking can they be top factor fiction, will they be a top fifteen defense. They're seventeen last year, and we're sitting here making a case that, like, well they might not be that different, so like it's possible, but like that, if that's an over underline, that's a really good line, because I like, I don't think they're gonna be There's no way their top ten. And I also don't think they're worse than twentieth, So like you're just they're right in that range. But I just to circle all the way back, I don't see enough compelling evidence that the collection of players they have now are meaningfully better defensively than what they had last year. It might be a little bit, but it also might be a little bit worse.
Speaker 1: Well, I think they're backup center situations probably worse. But Drummond wasn't a huge defensive like he hasn't been. This makes me never really been an above average room protector, even when he's had county stats. I think getting Dean Wade probably helps there.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Also Kentavia is called the Pope, have every have anything left? I'm gonna say fact, they will be a top fifteen defense. They feel so talented. I think you could. There's some really fascinating and I trust VJ. Edgecombe defensively at least relative to his position so well that I think that core.
Speaker 2: And what do we say all.
Speaker 1: The time too, They're gonna be a terrible rebounding team. I'm definitely worried about that. But what do we say all the time that if you can get your defense set, So if your offense is good and you can get your defense set, that's a big help under itself. And just even like, can Joelle and Bed be like twenty percent better than he was last year while playing in the same thirty eight games or forty one games probably goes a long way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting. Like I guess even though I'm not as bullish on their defensive potential as you are, I guess.
Speaker 2: We're like if you told me top nighteen, I'm probably like right, yeah, no, we agree.
Speaker 3: It's like we're in the range. Like midpack is is solid, I do think at its absolute best, and Dean Wade is a good guy to bring up, although like, I mean, how how many years are we going to be like Dean Wade? You know, Advanced metric Superstar is like doesn't seem to matter all that much. In the end, I think the defense can be good enough at its best to make this team on a lot of nights look elite because I think the offense is gonna be great. Like I just I just I you know, shocker, Like they have a lot of talent and they have like Lebron isn't what he was, but he's going to make that offense better even if it's just like that dude scores in transition all the time. Now, like that's a fun thing to do in your forties all of a sudden, but like there will be times where you're gonna look at a sixers week or two week long stretch and say, like, is this the best team in the East. I think for all the reasons we've kind of tiptoed around the health, the the the up and down nature of some of their key guys, like they they won't sustain that level. But I think the defense will be good enough sometimes to like pair with an offense that's gonna look great a lot of the time. Right, Like I think there do you agree with that? Like this this team's like top level is very very very high. It's just like, yeah, what percentage of the season. Can they reach that level.
Speaker 1: And can they sustain it or can they be at that level when it matters most because Embiid's kind of a part of that too. And you could also ask the question, this would have been a good factor fiction, like will Lebron play center this year?
Speaker 2: Like factor fiction Lebron spends more than one hundred minutes playing center this season.
Speaker 3: I was like, I was thinking of it in terms of like a percentage, so because that would be pretty small if he plays I don't know who knows how many minutes that guys, well, I think he will play some center.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, let me look at his career high where he's played at center at like the in terms of the share of his minutes, and see, like, so is he ever logged?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: So I guess in twenty four to twenty five, fourteen percent this is Perkeley named Glass of his minutes came at center. Although they're saying in twenty one twenty two forty nine percent of his minutes came at center.
Speaker 3: The basketball reference is a little wonky. On is that Glass?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Interesting? I trust that a little more. This seems impossible they played that much center fourteen and a half factor fiction. Fifteen percent or more of Lebron's minutes will come as the day Facto five with this team. And I think you look at it in that situation, you're going Dean Wade, Jaalen Brown, Edgecombe, Maxi, Lebron right, which is the full lineups.
Speaker 1: By the way, still not enough shooting somehow when your right.
Speaker 3: When you go small, you don't quite I don't know. I mean that's pretty you'd like a little more. But if Edgecombe continues to shoot fifteen percent, I'm gonna go over. Why not? Like I think, I think there are gonna be a lot of nights where it just makes sense. It's almost like you spare him a little bit defensively if he just gets to hang out on the back line and relax, although you probably call him up into pick and rolls in that.
Speaker 1: Case, right, I think he should exclusively play center when he's going up against Yo, Kic and wemb just like all the top guys.
Speaker 2: Don't spare him, don't spare him at all. Yeah, what is up? Fellowsikos you're listening to this episode right now thinking Wow, it would be so cool if there were no ads on it.
Speaker 3: We have the power to make this the last ad you ever hear. And that's not a threat, it's more of a promise. The best way to support the podcast is to join our Patreon, which you can do at patreon dot com. Slash Hardwoodknocks, NBA tons of perks there. In addition to the promise of and not threat. Can't emphasize that enough of no more ads, which is a huge bonus. We're going to do a couple of Patreon subscriber only pods every month. You get access to our discord. You just get to be a bigger part of this community. You get our sincerest appreciation, which really can you put a price on it? If you want to support the pod, that is the best way to do it. Thank you again as always for listening and for watching.
Speaker 2: And now back to the show. Your pick.
Speaker 3: All right, well let's i've let's get through this. There's kind of two here. We can take them together. I guess factor fiction the Clippers did that shit, so.
Speaker 1: I by the way, I'll call fast and it's it's more so like I don't think the latest. A lot of people were angry that Pablotry recorded his latest podcast about the r I f C which I was not lying in discord when they first asked, I don't know if you listened to it. They asked, what do you think r I f C stands for? At this point, I had no idea it was related to the Rhode Island UH soccer Club.
Speaker 2: Uh. I thought it was like rolling in fucking cash money.
Speaker 1: It was just like I thought it was gonna be something like ridiculous, like this is what they found, Like this is like this.
Speaker 2: Is kind of the smoking gun.
Speaker 3: Their bread somehow stood for circumvention, Like yeah, they're just that brazen about it. Really, I fucking circumvented that would be that would be your your acronym for that one.
Speaker 1: I didn't have a pri you had said, and you can relate it now that you just don't have the brain space through any more of this stuff, which I think is fair. But the amount of people, a lot of people who I respect, so not just random people on the internet, who were showing disdain for this follow up reporting the tenth Stallman or whatever it was. I appreciate it in the sense of I don't want to be talking about this, but like this doesn't interest me, But I do feel like the stakes are fairly high because it's just you're a.
Speaker 2: Trained lawyer too, and so like the heat did they did that? Shit?
Speaker 1: To me is like I can be reductive like that, but it really is all a bunch of circumstantial evidence, and you're not. The league's burden of proof is different. But people keep saying like they haven't found the smoke and gun. I'm like, they've yet to reasonably explain anything. And I can't get over. One of the most hilarious lines in podcasting to bring it back to most recent events was like that guy basically answering was it Brett Johnson or whoever it was in Rhode Island. The part of the development program maybe was the mayor saying, Kawhi and Yo, Dennis Robertson and miss frankl they care deeply about affordable housing.
Speaker 2: In Rhode Island.
Speaker 1: I hope they care deeply about affordable housing, but Rhode Island. And then the other thing too is yes, NBA players do invest in these USL teams. There's also in in now Smith that tends to accompany it. And so I'm not saying.
Speaker 2: This proves X, but I would like more information on well, are there other instances of a big name player signing so many like or making so many investments or having so many endorsements, and they're just never mentioned. I would be cured.
Speaker 1: I want to know more information about that stuff. And I also think to wrap up you had said one of the points you made in discord was if the NBA's goal was to try to make people just to be tired of this and hope that it dies out, they succeeded with me. I get that, but just because of what sort of happens here, and you want there to be some semblance of rules when it comes, like tampering happens rampantly already. If Salary caps her convention is now more on the table, that just it creates this, whether it's happening a lot or not, it does like it gives oxygen to the belief that there is. You can't trust the NBA, you can't trust what's happening, you can't trust the result. People already aren't. They say they don't trust the results that are happening on the floor because the refs are being bought off or because of Gambler. So that and that stuff sounds insane, But this only just like I said, lends oxygen to it. So I don't think this revealed anything that.
Speaker 2: Proves, oh, they did this.
Speaker 1: But I'm just at the point where it's I've yet to hear a reasonable explanation.
Speaker 2: And Mark Cuban has.
Speaker 1: Tried, gone on podcasts, gone on Twitter dialogue, I have yet to see a single explanation that makes me stop and say, you know what that makes sense? Like they're they're they're like, so it's not maybe I'm just too invest it already in the public like the court of public opinion. But have you seen anything that makes you say, you know, yeah, they've they've sufficiently explained X.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: No, So, at some point early on in this process, I was under the impression that the sort of the standard here was well, first of all, the burden of proof was on the clippers to provide some rational like basically they were guilty of circumvention if they could not produce a rational explanation for like all this stuff, right, remember that, Remember when that's where we kind of were, And to your point, haven't seen that, haven't seen any like a satisfactory rational explanation for how these different agreements like made sense outside of them being designed to circumvent the salary cap, so like that seems quaint in hindsight, and that this ties to my just general fatigue with all this, like the RIFC stuff is more of the same and whatever, you know, Like it's yeah, it's it's worse because it's more right of the stuff that is seemingly against the rules. But like we're now at a spot where the players Union and David Kelly is saying, what I'm taking away is basically, should the league decide there is a punishment in order here, it's gonna have to be one that we agree with, which is to say, like mild enough for us to agree with, or we're taking this to arbitration and this is gonna like this will be resolved in twenty fifty, Like you know, like this is like give us a punishment that we think is okay, which is like a wild way to put it. It's like if you went to your kid that did something wrong, like what do you think your punishment should be? And me like, I think I should get a bag of oreos every night, and you're like, well that seems reasonable, Like that's this isn't this It's getting kind of like farcical where it's like, so does the NBA have like the ability to punish in a way that it sees fit or is it afraid of having this go to arbitration forever because the players' union is going to make us think of it, and and this just never gets resolved, and so does does it? You know, Like this is where I'm just like I'm kind of checking out now because it's getting to a point where one, like I guess I just don't care anymore. And two it just seems like what's gonna happen here is either nothing or something very far away, or the league will just kind of land on a like a perfunctory kind of punishment that is so lame as to be acceptable, and we just move on and we kind of stop thinking about, like it's kind of wild that like the richest owner in sports basically got away with, you know, spearhead, if not spearheading, allowing to happen like real fucking cheating, like like and you can say, like some version of this happens everywhere, okay, but like this is the one we're dealing with. I will just as a bigger point, like I definitely have defended Adam Silver a lot, and I'm just thinking, like this guy works for the owners, Like he doesn't really have that much power. The league's in a very good place. Twitter and other social media outlets amplify people that think the NBA is in crisis when like I don't know, zoom out and it's doing pretty well, I'd say, and like that's kind of his job. But like this is a mess, and I don't know how much power he actually has to to like clean it up. But this is a bad I even I will concede. Like this feels like it's being either mishandled or sort of like more ne faitivariously dealt with in ways that aren't interested in equity or fairness or whatever.
Speaker 1: It feels like it's trying to, like what is the least controversial ending to this gets the least amount of attention. It almost is are they negotiating a quote unquote plead deal in public with David Kelly saying what he's saying, and that's sort of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, Like you're what you're saying is like it If you really try to drill down and simplify this, you could make a pretty strong argument that what the league seems to want to do is like almost crowd source, like just let's see which way the winds are blowing, let's address this, let's punish this conduct in a way that ruffles the fewest feathers, but we still get to say we did something like that's a cynical reading of this. But now the potential for like the punishment to literally be like negotiated as opposed to just handed down like that seems like what's happened. If that's not what's happening, they're doing a bad job of making it seem otherwise.
Speaker 2: And there does seem to be because the factor fiction here is well, what if I said they did that? Shit? Are you choosing factor fiction on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's what the exercise is, right, fact, it's all circumstantially you know, supported, But there's enough circumstantial evidence for me nothing has changed since we talked about this, Like on day one, it was just like this looks this looks funky to me, and the Clippers have failed to explain it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, fact, do you factor fision that it will leak into twenty twenty seven because of the looming thread of arbitration, But also is it sounds there was the report from the Athletic that the investigation was over, and then Adams Silverman, it'sund like this was all going to be wrapped up before the season. But then the report comes out that this could from Baxter Holme, that this could spill into twenty twenty seven because of arbitration, and so we're gonna have to tackle another There's a transaction that's going to be related to all this, but factor fiction, this.
Speaker 2: Is going to this is going to leak into twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: And I want to ask before you answered, I want to ask you is what is your read on this taking so long? Is it more likely that and all speculation here of course, is it more likely that kind of what you alluded to before, that this has just been improperly handled and unnecessarily drawn out? Or did wash the Lipton find all this nefarious shit? And what we're actually waiting on is they're trying to be thorough because the punishment and the findings are gonna be so nuclear. Or is it the longer it takes, the less you are convinced that anything material is gonna come from this? Because I think there's a strong case to be made for all three of those stances. The only thing I'll say against the one where it's taking so long because they're gonna drop the hammer. I do feel as if, just given the level of detail that the pub that pabloatore and is you know, staff and the crew members that Pabulatory finds out have gone into this, if there was what is the law firm found that Pabulatory finds out as not even sniffed yet, that would lead you to believe the old man they're good to bankrupt the Clippers of Picks until twenty fifty or something.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, there's just like a lot of separate questions here because like whatever they did or didn't find, you know, it's it's material to what the league wants to do punishment wise. But then this the specter of arbitration is like, well, does it even matter how what the league wants to do punishment wise, because they're just gonna have to go to an independent third party and say like, here's what we think, and the players' union will be like, here's what we think, and they got to meet somewhere in the middle. So I would say that, like, I don't know what the nature of the agreement is between the league and the law walk till whatever what the law firm is that that's doing the investigation. They might be like on retainer, they might whatever it. But with that as a caveat not knowing like how exactly the league is paying for this. If you give a job to a law firm, they're going to and you don't say we need this by this date or we like here's the timeline it must be completed, but like this law firm, they're gonna want to bill as many hours as they can. They're gonna want to be as thorough and spend as much time on it as they can because it's lucrative. Like that's you know, that's how it works.
Speaker 2: So if you.
Speaker 3: If the league is not exactly like pressing for a resolution quickly, then like it's kind that like kind of works in tandem with the law firms incentives to be like we're gonna be as thorough as you could possibly and maybe maybe also less cynically. This is just really complicated and there's like a lot of stuff to go over and and you're they're being incredibly thorough. I don't I don't know. I would just say that the pace of things so far suggests to me that this will go into twenty twenty seven, and that's pricing in all the stuff we've just talked about with like there's this whole other section of the dispute to be resolved, potentially in arbitration. So like, I don't know, I I I can totally imagine this continuing to drag on, which takes us to kind of a related factor fiction. Kawhi Leonard will not be a Clipper next season? What say you?
Speaker 2: I'm going to say so.
Speaker 1: Ramona Shelbourne had the quote that the Clippers are prepared to bring him back if for some reason the trade falls through. I'm gonna say fact, he will not be a Clipper next season. I just feel as if I'm also going to claim fiction that this builds into twenty twenty seven. I think there's some type of resolution, whether it's insufficient or the Lee actually does drop the hammer.
Speaker 2: I will say historically, with the exception.
Speaker 1: Of the Donald Sterling Soka, which was like Clippers, excuse me, Silver's first, that was basically like he was right as he took the commissioners, like.
Speaker 3: He's like yeah, he's like, here's your office. Guess what little bit of a problem you're gonna have real with welcome.
Speaker 2: And that seemed like pretty easy. Vell it was like a public.
Speaker 3: Sentiment was like one hundred to zero on one side of that thing. So it was like this was yeah, that wasn't easy. That was like a great like training wheels, here's your job as commissioner kind of task.
Speaker 2: I would argue, I've become more I don't.
Speaker 1: I think Adam Silver is incredibly intelligent to people who think that he's an idiot and just doesn't I dismissed those thoughts, But there is just a level to me of functional impotence here with him as the commissioner where you mentioned before, is he willing to punish teams to the extent or are they negotiating these punishments?
Speaker 2: While you like the new.
Speaker 1: Lottery reformation and I am kind of excited as much as I didn't support it, of what the hell is the league gonna look like next year with all these teams trying and you could already see it reflected in the win totals. Yeah, I still think if he was if he find owners to the maximum of his power, that he was able to find owners, we probably wouldn't have had such a strong tanking discourse anyway, but they selectively enforced it, and the punishments for six figures doesn't sound like it sounds like a lot, But it's not to these owners, to these teams. They could say that it is, but it's not. It's a it's a write off for them, like they'll figure out a way to expense it somehow.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 1: So that's why I'm I'm also just like cynical at this point. But the skeptic me thinks that they're gonna want this to end and the Kawhi trade will go through.
Speaker 2: Could there be a detail that's different?
Speaker 1: I mean, hum would be the I'm gonna I'm gonna say, fact, he's not a Clipper next season. But if this investigation drags on, is there or is not? Let's say the investigation is done but it goes to arbitration. Is there any way that the deal still goes through? Or would you say if this isn't wrapped up as the raptors, you can't can you even talk yourself into giving will you adjust the return because it's a first round swap two first round picks Brandon Ingram and Grady Dick. I like I don't do the Clippers even want to take less?
Speaker 2: Would they take less? Would they rather just bring Kawhi back?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, I don't know what to do with this one because I because I've said I think it's pretty likely that this whole thing does drag well into the season. I feel like I have to say that Kawhi will be a Clipper, right because like, the trade can't I would assume that, like the trade's on pause now because of the uncertainty of the results of the investigation and the punishment stuff. So like, mightn't it just stay on hold? Or I guess I could cheap out and say, like, he won't be a Clipper, but he also like won't play basketball. Does that count? You know, he's got to sit out or something, So I would.
Speaker 2: Say he's still on the Clippers books. Yeah, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: It would be. Would be inconsistent. Wouldn't it be inconsistent for me to say I think this whole thing drags into twenty seven because it also why will be on the Raptors? That feels inconsistent.
Speaker 1: No, because they the Raptors could still go ahead and make the trade anyway. Would the Clippers be willing to yeah, like with.
Speaker 3: The lege allow of the trade, not knowing like what it might do.
Speaker 2: They always did. The reason it got held up is because it was it was.
Speaker 1: It was like a Eureka moment apparently for I just Bobby Webster used to work in the league office. The fact that this wasn't I don't care if he knew it and they thought they had talked about it, like that needs to be ironclad. You understand what's what's going to happen if you're acquiring. Why that is still I have not I've not detached from this trade being walked back or put on hold.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, well then since you since you're giving me the stamp of grant, you're not being inconsistent. I will say that it is fact that Kawhi will not be a Clipper next season. He'll be somewhere else. It'll be Toronto or who knows, Like maybe the Raptors back all the way out and the Clipper send him somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Like that's well, wouldn't the alternative be his con He doesn't go to Toronto's contract gets voided and he signs somewhere else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you do get a couple bites at the Apple this way. So yeah, we gotta go fact on that one.
Speaker 2: I guess this will be my pick. Here's this one.
Speaker 1: Here's a broad one factor fiction grant. The NBA will have under three fifty five win teams next year. Now let me take you on a very brief journey for the inspiration behind this.
Speaker 2: This has only happened.
Speaker 1: The NBA has had two or fewer fifty five win teams just twice over the past twenty years. And if you also go and look at the win totals, now there's only two teams that have win total projections higher than fifty three, and that's the Thunder and the Spurs. So factor fiction on this one.
Speaker 3: So that first of all, that that feels nuts to me that those are the only two teams projected to win or that have over unders of greater than fifty three. This I still have to say fiction. I like, because what this to say fact? I think, like step one, I think it's an acknowledgment, or you'd have to be very convinced that like the East in particular has like twelve teams that could all win fifty games but can't, and so everyone's winning like forty one to forty eight or something like that. Not crazy, just because we may get to affect or fiction on just the general depth of the East, which is fascinating to me. But you're also probably saying that the lottery reform is going to have a pretty wild effect on preventing team really bottoming out, and but in doing so just gifting a bunch of wins to the high end teams all the time, and so that because usually that's how you get a couple in the sixties and some high fifties. I think it's I think the lottery reform will have an effect. I still just where I stop the analysis on this is you is in your first note of it's happened twice in the last twenty years, so there's a ten percent chance of the last over the last twenty years that you know fewer than three teams will will win fifty five. I think there's gonna be plenty of teams that win more than fifty five. I'd go, like, just totally uneducated, guess they'll be at least five six teams that win fifty five.
Speaker 2: Like, I just how many teams won more than fifty five this past season. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I should have looked at that before, I just said five or six? How many was it? Are you looking at it now?
Speaker 1: There was two in the Eastern Conference and two in the West, so there was four or four.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's a good number. Then five or six teams are rich, But I'm still going fiction. I just the historical precedents kind of overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: So to that end, though, then who are you because two is I'm gonna say fiction here too, because we just have to get to a third. But I did find myself thinking, well, what's what teams are guaranteeing win fifty five plus? Let's look at it based on the thunder for sure? Yeah, would you throw the Spurs in there? Again, I think they're young, they'll get better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, I would throw the Spurs in there next. So Detroit one's sixty, is Detroit gonna win?
Speaker 2: They got better? But sixty is a huge threshold to clear.
Speaker 3: Well, they only need fifty six.
Speaker 1: That's what you're right, But it's also just there's what I got into is, so think about we talked about Philly what their ceiling is. They're actively going to steer themselves away from their ceiling during the regular season at points I imagine players are gonna miss time. They'll be maintenance programs. The Knicks even coming off two deep playoff runs, including a championship, Jalen Bruns and just had risk surgery and then yeah, they like, are they gonna get better?
Speaker 3: Give me a couple others. I think Cleveland is a really good bet to win more than fifty five. We've seen them do that, I think. I think, honestly, I think Boston always trusted James Harden led team. Well, yeah, I think the cel Celtics won fifty six last year. I don't see why they can't win at least that many this coming.
Speaker 1: See they could, but there's no I think last year I would have come in and said, you know what, I probably would have said, I'm only guaranteeing the Spurs and the Thunder to win. I might have had the Nuggets and or the Knicks up there last year as well and missed there. I'm gonna say fiction because two is so few, But if we would have said under four, I might say fact. I like, I feel the line is that razor thin to me because so many of these other teams are like, there's just you can't just count on beating the Wizards anymore. That's not a thing that can just happen. Even Memphis is a team that I've looked at their over under it's like super low, and they just have a bunch of real NBA players on their own.
Speaker 3: It will be really interesting to see. You know, you'll need more seasons to get a real answer. But but what we might get some information on. What we will get information on this year is just how much a team is able to steer itself to the bottom. Because we you know, Memphis was egregious last year and some of the rosters that played Utah all all that, you know, the Pacers got in trouble, all these things, like it would seem like eliminating that kind of stuff could swing wind totals by a lot. But like there's just so many variables and so many like organic injuries, and like you know, the Thunder and Spurs are just gonna win every night, So there's you know, it seems like there's gonna have to be some teams with wind totals in the low twenties. Again, I just I'm really interested to see, like, end of the year, what's the what's the record spread look like? Is it gonna be as condensed as as the lottery reforms would seem to be designed to make it. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Can Here's a fun impromptu stat heading question for you. There are two teams that right now public win totals were projected to win fewer than twenty five games. There are win totals over excuse me, under twenty five under which two teams are they?
Speaker 2: Well, the Kings have to be one that oh them, that's correct, there's.
Speaker 3: A lot of so under twenty five.
Speaker 2: You said, yes, so twenty four and a half for a.
Speaker 3: Few last year, I'm there's I got I got some candidates here.
Speaker 2: I would go, I'll.
Speaker 3: Go one strike and you're out on this, by the way, okay, yeah, yeah, it's I'm gonna just throw two out there. I would say either New Orleans or Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: It's Brooklyn, okay, So those are those would be my relegation zone teams, by the way, would be Brooklyn, New Orleans and Sacramento. Those are my three relegation zone teams. Now here's another one there are You're not looking at the win totals right now, are you all?
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm looking at last year's records.
Speaker 1: Just for re there are six teams where their win total is set at fifty and a half or higher.
Speaker 2: You know where two of them are. But can you gave me the other four?
Speaker 3: Yes, first thunder obviously, uh so fifty one plus wins. Detroit's got to be one of those.
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 3: Are the Lakers one of them? Just because they're the Lakers? One good? That would be stupid.
Speaker 2: Let's see, well, Boston that that is correct. Two more, the Knicks that is correct. One more.
Speaker 3: Hmm. I'll say there's like there's I'm just saying the teams I'm considering. I don't think Miami would be thought of that way. So it's like Cleveland and Denver and maybe like the Rockets. I'll just say Cleveland because I said them earlier. Strike two, okay, Denver.
Speaker 2: Strike three? It was the Sixers.
Speaker 3: Oh shift, Yeah, it's from my brain. Yeah, I mean all those other teams could win fifty that I mentioned pretty comfort fifty one.
Speaker 1: I think if I'm looking at so the Raptors being so are forty five and a half right now, which I think if the quadrait goes through, they're a team that could win fifty. The Pacers being at forty four and a half. I look at them as a team that could win fifty. The Lakers, I've not been a fan of their offseason, but they have Luca and Reeves and Walker Castler's healthy.
Speaker 2: They could win fifty.
Speaker 1: The Rockets, the Calves, the Timberwolves, the Nuggets, the Sixers, the Pistons, the Celtics, the Knicks, the Spurs, the thunder myself at all, no that that team is.
Speaker 2: So they're not winning fifty, dude.
Speaker 3: I mean, didn't they win forty eight or did they win fifty two years ago? They won forty five last year? Great all year.
Speaker 2: They won forty five last year, all navigating some pretty gnarly injury issues. So that's fair. It's funny we haven't mentioned Miami. Could you see them winning fifty? I can't mean, I guess.
Speaker 3: I guess, but I wouldn't feel great predicting that at all.
Speaker 2: You want to take us to our next factor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was trying to find a find one. Well, I'm I'm interested in your take on all of these issues, Dan, I want you to know that, but one that jumped out Factor fiction. One of Jalen Duran or Peyton Watson will sign the qualifying offer. Basically unheard of for players, certainly of Duran's level of reput.
Speaker 2: He didn't that's right, he didn't do it. Camp Thomas just did it.
Speaker 3: And Quentin Grimes, like Quentin Grimes was the real like poster boy for like he did what what do you think here? Like the longer this goes on, it's really about Watson because Duran is not There's no chance Duran passes up, like I don't know one hundred and forty, one hundred and fifty on the absolute lowest end, we haven't.
Speaker 2: We've heard nothing though about what are they offering him?
Speaker 3: Right, which, you know what, good good job Pistons and good job Duran's camp because who cares. Let's wake me up.
Speaker 1: I don't know about Durran's camp because they were trying to use the Kings's leverage at one point when the king matters, just like who.
Speaker 3: Who could we put out there that like this would be believable like Sucker Sar Kings. But this really about Peyton Watson, right, Duran's not taking the qualifying offer. What do you think I'm gonna say?
Speaker 1: I'm going to say fiction, because you're right that it is just about Watson and I'm even wondering, as Peyton, I've seen the reporting out there about the five for seventy million. I read that as I read that as that was an offer probably last fall or something that could not have reasonably been even if you don't want to give him a Christian Brown's contract.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what did tar Esan.
Speaker 1: Just get like five for five for eighty one or something like that, And it was just like Peyton Watson just as a ball handler, like what he showed last year. So I think my guess would be that they probably would if he would sign a five year deal, wouldn't shock me if it was one hundred, Like maybe they want to get him for less than Christian Brown was. Sure they're trying to apply pressure the free agency. I think that was Watson's camp, which it seem pretty effective based on what my social media feeds look like of just let's really apply pressure the Nuggets or get the public sentiment going towards our direction, which it probably already was going towards their direction. I just can't envision him even if the offer is less than less than Christian Brown. So you gotta pass up that much guaranteed money.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't think you gotta be sitting here. Liked what did Like?
Speaker 1: I understand he's a different type of player, But the reward for Quentin Grimes signing his qualifying offer was he basically got a mid level type of contract. My guess would be there as a team just because of what Peyton Watson size, what he does defensively, but like Quentin Grimes is the better shooter, Quentin Grimes has a bigger track record of working with the ball in his hands.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: I think I'm going fiction too because Durn's out, he's not signing it and Watson though, like I really did think about it. That's why I wanted to get I was hoping would say fact because I would love the like do you think he should?
Speaker 2: So forget about what we'll actually do you think he should?
Speaker 3: Hmmm, I'm trying to think what I would do, and my like risk aversion is probably far great and level often it a little different than his.
Speaker 1: You wouldn't have been you wouldn't have made it to restricted free agency.
Speaker 2: You would have signed on the dotted line last October.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, yeah, I think should he? So there's a here's the case for and like maybe I'll talk myself into it in the process of making it, like, say, he so the worst, the worst possible outcome is he takes the qualifying offer, God forbid, knock on wood, torn acl right, And so he goes into free agency, certainly not having elevated his profile. But now is like, maybe not even in line to make as much as he that that insulting like five for seventy one offer. That's a possibility, but I I do think it's more likely that if he took the qualifying offer, he would be in line for more than we've seen the Nuggets have reportedly offered him. Don't don't you like, wouldn't you just assume next summer he has a season, Just say he has the exact same season. Again, don't you think just more suitors or whatever? It's just like the the door number two of it all seems like five more than five to seventy one would be out there.
Speaker 1: I want to say yes, but again, look at how many players who didn't sign with the Lakers struggled to get more than one guaranteed season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like and I mean also look at how.
Speaker 1: Much I think perceptions probably veered too far away from Christian Brown.
Speaker 2: Look at how much the feelings on that contract have changed.
Speaker 1: It's viewed as I would say, if if you made a and I might have, but.
Speaker 2: I might have reached one of the worst car Yeah, but that's what it is. You And that was when he signed it.
Speaker 1: We were just kind of like, yeah, all right, that's right, going is what it is. The perception is totally flip flop. So also with Denver, can you get like, part of the reason he had such he had a really good year overall, but part of the reason the ball was in his hands more was because Denver was so banged up. You can assume Denver's banged up again, But what if he just doesn't have the role.
Speaker 2: Or the usage.
Speaker 1: What if the three ball isn't falling and they feel like they can't play him in certain lineups and Cam Johnson's elevated above him if you sign the I think in this instance he I feel as if he.
Speaker 2: Should sign the qualifying offer.
Speaker 1: Because he's worth more to me as a player than five for seventy or even what Tari Easton got. That being said, the market dynamics right now, I know it's different when you get to unrestricted free agency. But man, that would be such a that'd be so tough for me to do, which is maybe why I can't endorse him to it. I also don't doing it. I also don't necessarily understand the logic other than Denver being so cheap. But if you've seen the take of they should like be crossing their fingers that he signs the qualifying offer, and my whole thing is, no, they shouldn't.
Speaker 3: No, that's not a good outcome for them. Yeah, that's a that's a terrible outcome for them. I think. I think. I think Denver's offer will come up and he will sign a deal and will not sign the qualifying offer. That said, if I'm him, I really do think hard about signing it the qualifying offer, because at the if you're just talking pure like upside, there's just so much more upside and signing the qualifying offer becoming unrestricted and like you know, I think, but it's a danger. It's a scary time to be thinking that way because it seems pretty clear that like team's appetites for paying players are changing, right like, so I can sit here and say, well, next summer he'll be unrestricted and there'll be this many more suitors, and they'll be this much more cap space than Like, I don't know is any of that true? Like I would have normally been a given in years past, but now it's it's unclear. It's I don't know for you.
Speaker 1: What's more likely he signs the qualifying offer or gets signed and traded.
Speaker 3: I just I don't know where. So the Calves are kind of looming as a sign trade team.
Speaker 1: I guess they're making like is James Harden signing for the minimum or they making them like a ton of salary dumps to get because they would be hard kept at the first apron.
Speaker 2: If they acquire someone to sign and trade. I guess I'm just not What's more, the Clippers are looming right there. Their rumors still have interest, so there are there are other teams. I'm gonna say I think it's more likely he gets signed and traded than signs the qualifying offer.
Speaker 3: I'll say it's more likely he signs the qualifying offer because I think it's about fifty to fifty, and it's more interesting if we have different answers.
Speaker 2: So, ah, my turn, what do I want to go with here? Okay?
Speaker 1: Grant Factor Fiction, Detroit is having an underrated off season. We're operating under these The one assumption we have to make is that they're playing the jailen durant situation as they should and he will be back. So factor fiction Detroit is having an underrated off season.
Speaker 3: Underrated. Well, this is a tricky one because who's rating you? Would you say that most people think this offseason has like been disappointing, right, Like, I.
Speaker 2: Think they expected a bit.
Speaker 1: It's, oh, you got John Collins, but you dumped Isaiah Stewart and you brought in Isaiah Joe but.
Speaker 3: You didn't Harris.
Speaker 1: Like don't you don't have another ball handler other than Kate Cunningham and Donnis Jenkins. I'm looking at it from thee there's a fact for me, and I'm looking at it from the perspective of, yes, it would have been cool to see them go get Trey Murphy, which in theory they could still do. But I honestly do believe that surrounding Cad A Sar and again Duran with just more capable floor spacing, higher volume, capable force spacing, because Tobias Harris reluctant three point shooter, Isaiah Stewart stretch but low volume when he does it, I think that that space is just going to give so much oxygen. To overuse that word in this podcast to the offense that it's this team just won sixty games. There are at least between Ron Holland, Asar Thompson, Donnish Jenkins, Kate Cunningham himself, maybe even Duran. I know the last taste we have of Jaylen Durnay is the playoffs, and it wasn't good. Probably it probably cost him tens of millions of dollars. Quite frankly it a million percent, absolutely did. I just they have the chance to get better and they're with like if you trust John Collins and Isaiah Joe is putting pressure on defenses as floor spacing, which I do, I think it's going to make a magnitude of difference, and that to me, anecdotally doesn't feel as if it's been pointed out enough at I'm sure not to like what are Pistons fans saying? They might feel one type of way, but nationally I think the Pistons have either been overlooked or what you said, people believe they've had a disappointing or anti climactic offseason.
Speaker 3: Well, I get there a little differently than you do. So the way this is a fact for me has more to do with Duran because I get the theory of Collins and Joe and maybe an improved version of Kevin Herder being better than Harris and the space that they had last year.
Speaker 2: I could see Corey and Prince too. By the way, sorry interject, but like, yeah, you know you're Gary Harris is just oh, those are guys that can make open shots too.
Speaker 3: Right, there's more options whether any of those guys can be on the floor at the end of a playoff game what we'll see like because that you know that was.
Speaker 2: Well, Gary Harris was Do you remember when he was quad two point zero? Remember when that I remember when.
Speaker 3: It was like this guy hasn't He was the I'm sure I've said this before. He was the first guy that was like, you know, who really knows how to play with k Gary Harris? That guy just figures out where to cut and it turns out like no, no, no, everybody looks that good when they play with this guy.
Speaker 1: His extension, I don't remember what it was for. Was it like four or contract four and seventy two or eighty?
Speaker 3: It was like four for eighty in my head something like that.
Speaker 1: His extension was the first time that I recall like sermonizing people I know, like this is this is totally fine.
Speaker 2: You don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: That was before we really truly understood the Yokich effect though. It was just like, no, this, it's how weird. CACP looks incredible with this guy. He's just like, yeah, okay, well it's because he does that. But so I could go one way or the other on the sort of broader roster improvements. I think you're probably right that, at least as a regular season proposition, there's just more spacing here, Like they really do have more this the Durhan thing, though, man, it would have been easy to just like not, I don't think going the full thirty percent or what you know, the crazy number two seventy seven to eighty seven, I'm never going to get it right. Uh, that would have been nuts. But I again, this is purely from a team perspective, because this sucks for Jalen Duran And why are we on the sides of teams, I don't know, but we always view contracts this way, like this is being masterfully handled by the Pistons because they're just they're recognizing the landscape. There's no threats, They're in total control. Duran is someone who it's much harder for him to take the qualifying offer just because a low ball for him is way more money than a low ball for Peyton Watson, right, so like he has more to lose by taking qualifying offer. He's just like it would be insane if you did that. And the Pistons are just like the hardened thing, like comfortable being uncomfortable, like this is they're fine with this and that's like that's not easy to do. I mean, it should be easy for teams, but most teams don't operate that way. So I think that aspect is underrated because I I think maybe most of most people's unhappiness with what the Pistons have done over the offseason has more to do with like the players they didn't go get. But I also think there's some level of unhappiness for like can't we just get a Durham deal done? And it's like no, no, like you there's no rush for the Pistons, like this is you. You hold all the cards here, and so I appreciate that part of their offseason. I can say it's underrated for that reason.
Speaker 2: So we're well, call on fact. What's next?
Speaker 3: Hmmm, what do I want to know? You're no, Oh, here we go. H I want to hear you just your take on this factor fiction. The Hornets trading LaMelo ball makes way more sense post free agency. Explain yourself. I assume you're saying.
Speaker 2: Fact, it's a fact. Here's the thing.
Speaker 1: I still don't like what they got, and I wouldn't have made the move, and maybe time will tell that I'm going to be wrong. When you look at how the East has just reloaded, what is the move that Charlotte could have made to be on the level Kawhi to Toronto. We're assuming that goes through the Knicks just winning the title, the Sixers getting Lebron and Jalen Brown in the same offseason, and by the way, still having first round picks left over. If they need to make trades in the middle of the season to get better, you're then dealing with this like the East we're talking about, like Jiannis to Miami. You and I aren't particularly high on the Heat as they currently stand, But if Yannis is healthy and Bam is healthy, that team is going to be terrifying on the defense.
Speaker 3: E end yep. The floor's high.
Speaker 1: So there's just if you were the Hornets and you wanted to make a massive step forward, it would have probably come at this stark opportunity cost. And you also would have been rushing into something that wasn't actually gonna get you where you were gonna go, because who would What could they have done if all these other moves are happening, what could they have done to meaningfully improve their position in the East. And the argument would be, well, you just need to let it ride. Joanna Steinbach, they draft him, Christian Anderson, and you just move you move forward. I now understand them taking the longer view, especially when you're looking at the Celtics. I still don't buy this as an explanation, but them being afraid of having to extend Jail and Brownie his three years left on his contract, them thinking about LaMelo Ball's next deal and Brendon Miller being extension eligible, and Conkin it Will being right behind them, and trying to understand their long term salary structure. I now get it more. I don't love the return because I think LaMelo Ball is a transcendent offensive player. But I'm looking at it and saying the optics of this trade, And by the way, I don't think from what I saw, read and listened to it, it felt as if most people liked the return they got. And so maybe I'm in the minority here. So if you liked the trade, I think it got better. If you disliked the trade as I did, I think you understand where they're coming from even more, and that was they traded Myles Bridges as well, and so that starts to make more sense too, especially when you're when Phoenix gave up to get him.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess I would join you in calling this a fact, but I have to admit that, like my more positive stance on Charlotte's end of the ball trade, actually like I wasn't like considering because what you're talking about is these other teams in the East at least and are it would have been hard for Charlotte to view itself as on par or better than those teams, right, like thinking like comparatively, And I never really thought of the Hornet's side of the ball trade in those terms, like saying I just viewed it as we won forty four games. We don't view that as good enough. We want to be a different kind of team, built around other types of players. And I, to me, I was just like, that's kind of cool, Like I think, I think that's ballsy. I think like, because there's a good chance they'll be wrong, I think it's more likely they'll be right. But I you know, it's sixty forty or whatever. And I liked it just viewing Charlotte like as an organization in isolation, not compared to not in the sense of like, well, how can we how can we say, going forward with this same team, where any better than the Knicks or the Celtics or all the other teams you listed. That just add that's just another component I didn't really think about that does to me make the trade look better. And I liked it to to start with, certainly more more than you liked it. So yeah, I think it's fact. But I just wanted to get to that one because it was interesting to me to think of it in those terms, because in general, like I feel like like there's another version of this conversation we have sometimes where it's like you can't look at the thunder being so great and say we gotta like the powder dry because we can't beat them, Like there's no point in trying to play at the level of that team. Like the Warriors in the mid teams were, oh, they're prohibitively good, Like what's the point in The Rockets were like fuck that, Like we're gonna try, you know, and they almost beat them. I don't think it's smart to think of to view yourself comparatively that way. It's like, well, we'll just wait out this window because we can't beat that team. Like that's dumb because one windows are six weeks long in the NBA now, and like it's just you never know what's going to happen to that seemingly unbeatable team. But this particular line of it, like where you're just looking at the entire conference and saying like, well, man, like what even are we compared to these teams, that feels a little more justifiable in terms of like logic for a reset or like a like a change like this, Does that make sense that distinction I'm trying to draw.
Speaker 1: I think it does. But when you mentioned that you think they wanted to be different. Do you think they were hoping different meant better or do you believe that they were making this trade let's undo everything that we've witness sensed.
Speaker 2: Do you believe they were making this trade knowing that they were probably going to take steps back in the coming year, or do you think they did it saying we could be different and different might make us better.
Speaker 1: I never viewed it as that. I viewed it as getting out of the mellow ball business and kind of reorienting their direction. That's how I in a way that would make them immediately worse.
Speaker 3: That's it's kind of all the above, Like I would say that the way I looked at it, if I'm just if I'm trying to like understand the Hornets thinking on it. I looked at it at it as them saying we we were pretty good and and and and better than that for good stretches of last season with LaMelo Ball paid at this rate in this role, we think we can be at least as good without him, like oriented differently. And then maybe like it's kind of I don't think you're saying it's like it's an easy either or justification. I think there's elements of all that stuff involved, like the the the the phrase step back like I I don't think Charlotte views trading LaMelo Ball for this return as necessarily taking a step back. I think I think they coued yeah, you know, I don't think they looked at it as we are taking a conscious like we're gonna take a breath, We're gonna we're gonna like, you know, aut a year or two two, or like we're trying to peek at this certain time. I don't. I don't think they viewed it that way. I think they viewed it as this is as good as we can be with LaMelo Ball, given his injury history, given just unseeriousness, all that stuff, with him in a lead role, all those things, and we don't think there's a higher ceiling if we stay the same oriented around this guy. Maybe that and then maybe that's just the health thing. If you want to ditch the off court stuff, in the play style stuff.
Speaker 1: I guess I had with the caveat if we don't know what Conkin Epple and Brandon Miller are going to look like as they continue to increase their on ball usage. I just struggle to see how trading someone who's been for the past half decade in the ninetieth percentile or higher of offensive on off like splits like value as we might be better or the same. I guess if the bar is forty four wins and you could say, well, look what we needed to do to get to forty four, I kind of understand what you're saying. At that time, I only would have listened to and I probably still only will listen to that they made this thinking about the bigger picture rather than we're we're juggling both like immediately, we're gonna be just as good, if not a little better, but we're more set up to if we want to make a gamble long term, or we're just leaner long term and we're gonna be able to make more agile decisions or more investments in other guys, or pay both Canipple and Miller where not that they couldn't have paid everybody, but we know that teams won't do that.
Speaker 3: Would you be surprised if they won forty five games this year?
Speaker 2: Shocked?
Speaker 1: I really, I honestly, And maybe I'm just LaMelo ballpilled, and that's I think Brandon Miller is excellent when he's hell konk nipple was my Rookie of the Year pick last season.
Speaker 2: I just I really don't and the team has to know.
Speaker 1: I really don't think people appreciate how much of an impact of LaMelo has on the offense. And we don't have the sample of what is it with Kobe White, Brandon Miller and Kanka Niple. Sure, but like LaMelo Ball is an offensive player? Is it's he's more complete than Kobe White? Just because of the pat they don't have. Who is the best passer on this roster right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's not anyone who you'd say as a stand like, you're right, like, is it White? Is it Canipple? Is it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Is Brandon Miller gonna add some new dimension?
Speaker 2: And who's the one? Who's the one that is?
Speaker 1: Like defenses are gonna feel inclined or want to throw two at the ball as soon as they're crossing the timeline.
Speaker 3: I'll bet you they hope it's Miller. I think I think that's implicit in this move.
Speaker 1: If this is if trading LaMelo unlocks Paul George three point zero and Brandon Miller, then I'll gladly admit I'm wrong, but I will be taking probably for the first time in a while. I'm kind of a sh Charlotte over guy. So I'll take I'm gonna continue to becausist. I'll take Minnesota over, just to keep riding with Lamello, just to stay on brand.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be fascinating. I mean, like, I totally see your eye. This is this is like so typical of us, where it's like we feel very differently about it, but we're sitting here being like, you.
Speaker 1: Know what, you might be right, but we need to I want neither of us, but you certainly wouldn't remember. I wonder what the most like heated disagreement we've ever had by our standards would be.
Speaker 3: It's it's probably some version of me defending the Warriors for not making a trade and.
Speaker 2: You're a professional. Here we go. That What a segue.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna be able to dip into the nuclear section now for the first time all podcast by going here. But we're gonna start with basic This is topical Grant factor fiction. The Golden State Warriors are catching too much flak for not making bigger trades, for the report coming out that they only wanted to give up all their picks for Giannis. They wouldn't give up two picks for Kawhi. They're they're receiving too much black. This is the natural course of an extended title contention window, of a dynastic window.
Speaker 2: They are not doing wrong. By Steph Curry.
Speaker 1: This is how every legend who wants to spend his entire career with one team goes out.
Speaker 2: Factor of fiction.
Speaker 1: The Golden State Warriors are receiving too much flack. Let me ask you a preliminary question because this interesting. This came up in a text thread with some Warriors fan friends and one of the guys said, like, I kind of love it that I'm paraphrasing that. It makes me like Lake of Moore that everybody's mad at him and he's like holding firm or whatever. And I said, like, is everybody mad at him? And it was like a sincere question because it's like what is that? This is like a social media amplification problem. Like, so I'm asking you, like, do you think it is true that some majority, maybe an overwhelming majority, are looking at the Warriors like you're handling this wrong.
Speaker 3: You're like this steff stuff and like the roster. Do you do you think that's true to say that yeah, like that's the majority opinion, like considerable majority.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I wasn't then like two or three people can say it, and like Kendrick Perkins can say whatever he says, but like, I'm.
Speaker 2: Actually that interested.
Speaker 1: I'm actually more interested in one how you feel, but the sentiment, and you would be more plugged into this. Now, what's the sentiment among Warriors fans? Because nationally, I think you could probably find a ton of people.
Speaker 2: I think Zach Lowe.
Speaker 1: Even just did a like a long, longer monologue on why he thinks that the Warriors are catching too much black.
Speaker 2: I'm curious.
Speaker 1: It's to like, what what is the sentiment among Dubbs fans with this?
Speaker 3: Honestly, like, I think like our media culture is so ruined that I don't know what the answer to that is.
Speaker 2: Well, you'll tell you how the sment in your text.
Speaker 3: I don't think that a consensus arose out of that. The discussion didn't go far.
Speaker 2: They're Hardwood not subscribers, aren't they?
Speaker 3: No, YU some of them are actually I don't know, I don't know how many patreons there are. Bill's on It builds Patreons shout out Bill Patrons scriber turns up yellow in the discord. That's how you know. Uh, I'll tell you how I feel about it. I I I would need you to point me to the trade that they should have made that they didn't that would have given them a championship roster. And like I guess, it's y honest, but apparently everything was on the table for Y honest. And even that I think we talked about it was like, I don't know, it's like they're really good. That's probably as close as it gets. But like the Jalen Brown trade, absolutely not. You don't do that for that price. Like they the what was it, four picks in a swap or something it was.
Speaker 1: They gave up, they gave up, they ended up accepting less. So it's why isn't there were there known to go they just it sounds like we don't know what happens behind the scenes. But if Boston asked for four first round picks, that doesn't have to be the end of the discussion.
Speaker 3: I know, but I can't. You can't speculate on what like I mean.
Speaker 1: Either moves or I guess, and I won't even belong about it. My issue is is that whenever they've been linked to anyone. Kawhi would be a perfect example. Larry Markin is a perfect example. Giannis is the only one that you can say they actually put enough on the table for it would not have cost you everything to get If it cost you everything, if the Jazz said every first round pick you could trade.
Speaker 2: For Larry market In, I get not doing it.
Speaker 1: But where they've aired I think is Pascal Siakam would have made sense. Ojiannaobi would have made sense. And it's an extension of yes, we know about their draft misses, but as soon as it became clear even when they were still a sheene on the James Wiseman or I think, more pointedly Jonathan Kaminga. You held onto them too long anyway, And my biggest issue with them is my two biggest issues is the people missing the draft.
Speaker 2: But is you is this organization has acted like they.
Speaker 1: Are the reason the Warriors are as good as they are, like Joe Lakeuping Crew. Great Stephen Curry is the reason that this team became what it was, right down to the contract that he's signed four years forty four nol we called it in overpay in the moment because of his ankles. My other issue is is that they have done a great job to me controlling the narrative of saying we're in on this guy. We just we didn't want to give up everything to get him. And it's there's a difference between giving up everything and not offering enough. And it's if you're telling me that you have Steph Curry at least one of the picks that you're trading for Kawhi Leonard as an example, Now the whole aspiration thing needs to be factored in. But if you're telling me that you won't give up, you're only giving up two picks and dead salary. And I hate calling anyone dead, Sally, but Jimmy Butler for that, and that's too much. Here's final thing I'll say is the reason you're in this position is because you have no one on the roster of value to including these trades, because you either held on to them too long and now they're gone and or Jimmy Butler's injured. Like this is that you waited for a discounted star and Jimmy Butler, who made such a stink in Miami that you were able to get him for Andrew Wiggins and a f pick and so, yeah, that seemed like good value at the time. But this hedging, you get to hedge if you are the reason that this title window or era existed. Nobody, nobody, not Draymond, nobody in that building is more responsible for what's happened in Golden State than Steph. And so that's why I view this as if he's still playing at the level he was, I've viewed as an obligation to make the most of all left because guess what, you know what happens after he leaves. Anyway, who should trust you to find the next face that you don't think they could carry the franchise? John Brown is more likely to carry the Warrior based on drafting track record, John Brown is more likely to carry the Warriors than whoever the Warriors decide is suited to carry the Warriors post Steph.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then I hear all that, like, and I will admit that, like sometimes I do really feel the argument that like you are and if you're giving them flack, it's because you believe they are doing a disservice to Steph, who they owe, to whom they owe everything. Like, can't really argue with that. All I can say, is like my personal feeling on it is I can understand the hesitations they've shown to put everything on the table in the past, and I don't personally feel like like I don't have any ill will or like even really like frustration with the front office or ownership. And I don't know if I can explain that. I think a lot of that probably comes from, like personally, I'm satisfied I got four championships, you know, like I just and and like I guess maybe built into that is like I like the idea of them having just a full war chest for the post Steph era, and I'm okay with that. And I think, again a piece of another piece of it is I don't think there's a player out there, Like I don't know that Steph is currently a player who can be the best player on championship team. And that's now got more to do with potentially durability than anything else. Like the runners kne thing last year really scares me. That's a degenerative condition. He's got so many miles. He's a small guard. Like I just you know that, I just don't think it's realistic. I think they need someone better than him, and I don't know how you do that without mortgaging everything and probably still coming up short and then having really nothing when he's gone. I also, the last thing I'd say is if he requested a trade tomorrow, there would not be a single like I would. I would understand it, I would, I I wouldn't welcome it. I want him to play his whole career with the Warriors. But like he has agency here too, and and he frankly seems okay with this, and maybe that's all that should matter. So like that that like goes a long way for me. Like he it's not like he's being held hostage.
Speaker 2: He can.
Speaker 3: No one on planet Earth would be upset with him if he just full on demanded a trade. And he's not doing that, And I think that's because he's okay with what's happening here on at least to at least a significant enough degree to to stay, you know, and that counts for something to me. I don't know again full you know, perennial caveat. I only kind of think about the Warriors emotionally, so like I can imagine if you have no skin in the game, I get the take of, like what are they doing? Because like we'll talk about Jokic maybe in a second here, and it's like should the Nuggets trade Jokic? And I'm way more comfortable saying like, yeah, man, he's not going to resign do it? And I bet there's a bunch of Nuggets fans that are like, no, under no circumstances.
Speaker 1: I guess what I find funny is I feel as if I'm looking at this more emotionally than you are, because who I feel for. That's a great point about Steph Curry having agency and by the way, extension eligible in all we're gonna find out, I think how he really feels about.
Speaker 3: The planet one sorry before where you move on? He could take less? You know, like like that's he could do that too, That's.
Speaker 2: That's the possiblity. Why should he take less? When what have they done? Draymond Greene opted out to what did they do?
Speaker 3: I mean they tried to get Lebron and they just didn't have enough. I am saying he could. I'm saying he could, like that that's a possibility.
Speaker 1: To oh he could, And I think most people would argue that you should. Now like that's become the whole thing is you need to take less for these team to build winners. The Warriors have not done anything to earn the benefit of the doubt of Steph since the even like like just post twenty twenty two title, I think it's been an it kind of even started before then. When you're looking at the opportunities and the emphasis on the two timelines, it's to me, yes, it is about an obligation to Steph. But what I feel like we haven't talked enough about, and why I think I'm looking at it more emotionally than you, is the fans. Like I feel as if I were a fan, this would bug the hell out of me because I don't care about the post Steph era because this is so special and what the franchise has shown me is that independent of Steph, they're not equipped not Yeah, And so I'm looking at this and saying I'm rooting for this team. I find it disrespectful that maybe disrespectful was too strong for word, but it seems overly manipulative to say, like, well, we were linked to these guys, we didn't really go in for them. There's no one who's there's no one who's worth going all in for except for Yanna's so your bar for improving is we need one of the five best players alive or bust for improving.
Speaker 3: And my issue there is you're not just improving, it's like improving past a certain point. I think is they have like a obviously a ridiculously high standard for like like getting Butler when he kind of steered himself to you a little bit and only would have cost him one first and like I forget so like they've been I think a fair criticism is they've been like way too measured and honestly, like this is just all of a piece with the two timeline thinking. They want to have it both ways. They want to have Steph and a bunch of vets and stuff, and they'd also don't want to give away future assets they're trying. If anything has been consistent about this, seems that they've tried to have it both ways the whole time and that cost him a little bit. But again, maybe every fan doesn't feel this way, but I'm like, I got everything and more I could have possibly wanted out of this core. I just think it's cool that they still have Steph, and I understand why they don't want to just throw money down the well for no return, for a return that was good enough.
Speaker 1: I think that is a rational way of looking at it, and I think that I think I'm coming at it from more of an emotional perspective than you. I don't even mean that as an insult either, just I would expect a fan to be why don't you want to see them? I get what you're saying about having the bar so that you can sustain being great. I'm more of the mind I would rather the five percent chance of catching lightning in a bottle again, and they have sufficiently even done that. And by the way, with Steph, have as many miles or as much wear and tear on him. Had you gone back through over the court, hit on your draft picks, traded these guys for a Pascal Siaka, and we certainly could have handled the ball.
Speaker 2: I just think the draft is.
Speaker 1: And it's also just I don't understand necessarily the comparisons to like Kobe and the Lakers, because when Kobe signed that two year extension, and it was the Lakers are doing right by Kobe, Kobe was very clearly not a top ten player in the.
Speaker 3: NBA at that point.
Speaker 1: Ste Steph on any given night still is and so but to your point, and this is the spicier factor fiction portion of this grant factor fiction, Steph should not sign an extension this summer with the Warriors. Keep the pressure on the front office to get better. Insofar as there's anyone under the sun who might you know, pass their bar for improvement.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say fiction, and that is because I think he specifically would not want or benefit from a full year of like that would sort it wouldn't make him the this is a weird thing. I feel like that would make him like, would get him the kind of a ten he doesn't want, more so than requesting a trade, you know what I mean, because because that introduces all this uncertainty and questions every night about like you know, what's your future, And he would just like I don't think he wants that at all, right, Like that that a huge distraction. This guy is just like he doesn't want any part of that kind of thing affecting the team, and that would be bad for him, bad for the team. If anything could make him look like a villain, it might be a full year of like doing like wielding this kind of leverage. Does that make sense? Like I just it's hard for me to imagine it. But you're asking should he because because that would apply leverage. I just think there's other ways for him to do that without having to make it. And like and again, just like he's why would he pass up? They'll give him whatever he wants, you know.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm gonna say fact because I think one if he doesn't, it will make him kind of a cult hero among fans, Whereas what you said earlier, if he requestitrate, I think everyone would understand, but they're not go and that there might be people who turn on him. I don't think anyone's gonna turn him for not signing extension because he can play it. I'm just keeping my options open. Maybe he'd be want to take less next summer if they can prove that they are gonna put talent in place at this year's trade deadliner. Beyond, he could also I'm thinking from Steph Curry's perspective, yes, you want to stay with the Warriors your entire career, but if you actually still want to compete for championships and go after ring number five, which, by the way, imagine Steph Curry ends up with a fifth ring, Like what those all time, just like he has to care about that at least a little bit. Yeah, this that keeps your options open without divorcing yourself from the Warriors just yet. And then it's it's just easier if you're a free agent and decide to go to the Lebron route and take a massive pay, Cutch. You know who comes off looking the worst in that, the Warriors, because well, why weren't you the team Steph was willing to take the minimum for I think the Lakers should be asking themselves the same question about Lebron is why couldn't that have been a situation where he took This is different because the Lakers are not It wasn't a one team situation with Lebron. So I don't think he should sign an extension. But we're again, we're clearly coming at this from two ends of the different ends of the spectrum.
Speaker 3: I wonder if, like, could he could he sign an extension that's like ten million dollars a year? Like he could he sign like a two for twenty or something like? Could that happen?
Speaker 2: Right? But right? Like, I don't. Again, I'm not doing that at this point.
Speaker 1: Had he had they gone out and got even got lebron Or did something this summer that would make me want to do that as stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing that before they showed me that I should do that.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what, now that we're talking about it, more like the argument would be that that him not signing an extension gives the Warriors like crazy flexibility, right, like, yeah, next summer. So if he's so insane to be like we're trying to time it up, you're thirty eight, we're trying to time it up. Let's have a gap year and then we'll really go after next season. Like that's insane. But that would be the biggest reason to not sign an extension is so you don't have this like seventy million dollars or whatever it is on the books. Right.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I'm with you there. So did I just get you to say fact?
Speaker 3: I think so sure, you've you've convinced me. I've come around on that one. So how much time?
Speaker 2: Let's do it? Let's do you want to do the Nuggets ones that we have really quick?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, factor of fiction. The Nuggets should trade Nikola Jokic if he doesn't sign an extension.
Speaker 2: I was going to start with I.
Speaker 3: Went big, I'm big fish. Let's either way we could do yeah, stay in.
Speaker 1: The yeah so well so the Jokic one is they should trade factor fiction. The nugget should trade in a cool Yokic if he doesn't sign an extension factor fiction.
Speaker 2: Where are you at at that? As I fixed my light live broadcasting right.
Speaker 3: Now, Oh man, I just said that I would come down a certain way on this. I mean, I think they should right like it because the risk of well, I guess we need to first answer, like, because what the reason you do this is you think he might leave for nothing and it's not because he wants a bigger number or or whatever. And like, as I was thinking about this earlier today, do you find it kind of hard to try to guess what Nicole Jokic actually wants, you know, or actually cares about, because normally you'd say he'll just stay in Denver. He said, I will take him at his word. He seems like a this is a compliment, like a fairly simple guy like he you know, he doesn't need a big market or whatever, and he likes it there. But it's like, are we sure, like do we really know? Like that that's how he would think about it. Might he just leave because he wants to go win and you can't do that in Denver anymore because they got no picks and assets and they're too expensive and all this other stuff. So let's let's first discuss do you think there's a risk he will leave for nothing?
Speaker 1: I feel as if people don't look at him as a competitor, they think he just wants to race horses and he'll stay.
Speaker 3: What I mean, it's hard, right, It's hard to be sure.
Speaker 1: I don't if he's not signing an extension. I know the rationale is that next year he could sign, he could accline his player off and let's say and sign a five year deal. I think that'd be projected to be worth three hundred and fifty three zero point two million, and so you lock in that rather than locking in two hundred and seventy two point eight like the Donovan Mitchell deal. Essentially, I kind of just not that. I don't know that he would ever lead them along to that much. But he's also not the type of person that I think would say I want out. They need to do this. If I'm the Nuggets and he's not signing an extension, is he just so good that you roll the dice anyway and if he leaves for nothing, then so be it. Or maybe you hope you could work out a sign in trade because of how the cap space climate has pronominally been. Because I've said this before, I'm gonna alarm us by trade if he's not. He's had two opportunities to sign an extension the past two summers. Last year it was yeah, makes sense, Like just wait now, I'm sort of just like, well, if he wanted to, if he was concerned about maximizing his earning potential, he would have extended and then like you extend again. Like so, I just if he doesn't sign an extension, which by the way, I've said this many times, I don't think he should. I don't think they've done anything that if I'm Nikola jokicch just as I was with Steph Curry, will least hopefully be consistent about it. I'm not over the moon about anything, especially if if Peyton Watson is gone or if you get Peyton Watson back, but it cause you, Cam Johnson, how is this team better if they duck the second apron without getting better?
Speaker 2: So I I'm gonna say they should.
Speaker 1: Will they the answers probably know because are we in Kevin Durant with the thunder territory where it is, even if you have no idea, you have to see it through. That's what I would ask you if you're the Nuggets, is that how you would view this situation is let's say they really don't know if he would leave for nothing or not. Do you have to see it through anyway? Because it's Nikola jokicch.
Speaker 3: Right, Like it's different than the Steph comparison, right because he's not an undisputed like top five player like night tonight, but Jokic is and Yokicic really in terms of like placing the franchise, it's pretty similar. My first instinct was, and I said this earlier, they probably should trade him. Man, I want to say they should just chance it and keep him because he's that great, but like he's thirty one, Like how much there were tiny signs of decline, Like I if a computer were making this decision, the computer would have traded him, I think, right because given his age, given like the types of teams that are rising in the league, like he is not equipped to play against like the hyper athletic monsters that are growing in San Antonio.
Speaker 2: In particular, Nuggets played San Antonio pretty well last year.
Speaker 3: They they did, but like I just now he's a year older and Aaron Gordon's a year older, and like this current core if you're if you're the Nuggets, like if you're the computer running the Nuggets, you're looking at this and you're saying, like our windows not really like we're not a top tier contender anymore. I don't think may prove me wrong, but I don't think so, like totally cold calculated rational, like yeah you should. I I still think you just you kind of can't. I think you kind of can't trade him even does that, So I'll say it's fiction. He should be traded if he won't sign an extension, while saying like if I could divorce emotion from it and just you know, if if whatever AI client runs the Nuggets in this hypothetical, he's gone because you could just get Imagine the hall, Imagine what you could get for nicoleie K.
Speaker 1: Do you believe him when he says that, because it was basically in the interview, at least when it was translated, he essentially said, I'm going to resign next summer. Do you just take him? I think that's the where it's not. It's not just him saying he wants to retire in Denver. Everyone Kyrie said he wanted to retire in Boston.
Speaker 3: Just want This is a very direct yeah, like affirmation, even though we started with like. I kind of think he's more inscrutable than it seems. I think that's direct enough that you probably take him at his word. But again, the computer is like, what are words? Look at this asset we could trade for a million things.
Speaker 1: I looking at just what the Nuggets have done over the years, especially post title. If he doesn't sign an extension, I'm trading him. It's which is not I wouldn't want to, And I understand where you're coming from, But if you see it through.
Speaker 2: Any leaves, what are you left with A like you?
Speaker 1: The reason you can't improve right now where it feels as if you can't improve is you just don't have any You can't trade a single first round pick, and so what are you supposed to do? And it's even an ironclad guarantee from him without something on the dot and line, you really got to sit here and think, Okay, well, we're.
Speaker 2: Gonna be that.
Speaker 1: Do you even want to give him a five year deal? Going to as like? If if the AI is making that decision, do you want to.
Speaker 3: Get like based on aging curves, We're we're thinking in the like three for one hundred range.
Speaker 2: Right, So I'm trading him.
Speaker 1: If he doesn't sign, I'm gonna say fact they won't though, I think we won't get yeah, Eve anything else?
Speaker 2: Are you ready take us out of here?
Speaker 3: I think that's gonna do it. Thanks everybody for listening for happy to from you, great solid, solid episode. Uh, I just you know, being rusty not you?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 3: You wake up in pod? What do I say? Now? Dan? This is the part I can't remember. If you'd like to support the podcast, you probably already are because this is a is this our Patreon No, that's coming later. This is a regular pod trade. If you want to hear additional content, join our Patreon. Support us to our patreon dot com slash Hardwood Knocks NBA.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: You get all the episodes out free, you get the extra stuff, You get access to our discord. You get discounts on merch all kinds of cool things, and boy do we have some merch Dan's wearing some of it right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's pretty it's like unbiased, it's pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: We've now we've now debuted or unveiled two of them, and there's just there's thirty three.
Speaker 2: Of them for something different designs, and I'm still FLABBERGASTI at one sending each other like.
Speaker 1: We get test first obviously, and one of the ones that draft pickups don't just like so off brand, but.
Speaker 3: Where when I get it, I'm very excited for that. I think I think that's everything. Remember to rate, review and subscribe, Tell your friends selling emy shouts Franklin Kane apologies, Jared Allen