Speaker 1: Give yourself a reason to look forward to. Go into the mailbox each week with a PW Torch newsletter paper copy. Subscription details at PW torch dot com slash paper Copy. It's twelve pages every week packed with my TV reports, along with exclusive features such as my cover story on the top story of the week, our pay per view roundtable reviews from the Torch staff, exclusive feature length columns from Greg Parks, Rich Fan, Sean Radikin, Alan Coonahan and Zach Hadorn, Torch Talk transcripts, the latest news and more. PW torch dot Com slash paper Copy. Take a break from screen time and settle in every week with the megadosup wrestling news and analysis with a Pro Wrestling Torch Newsletter paper Copy edition. In the year twenty twenty two, you can get a full year of home delivery for just ninety nine dollars, or try us for an eight week trial subscription. PW torch dot Com Slash Paper Copy. Now PW Torch and Speaker bring you the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast five years ago. This week on the flagship Jasonpowfrolprogrestling dot Net joined me and we talked about possible transformative changes in WWB network and pay per views also drew McIntire's rising stock, aw's quality control issues comparing the star power of AW two NXT. How would NXT playing in bigger arenas work, fan reaction, complicating Hangman Page's heel turn xfl anticipation, Roh's twenty twenty changes, and much more so. Let's get to it. This originally dropped on February sixth, twenty twenty, and it is today's Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast five years ago Flagship flashback for Wednesday, February fifth, twenty twenty five. Less than one million Jason less than one million United States subscribers. What are the odds that that would be paired with the largest amount of revenue for WWE and any financial statement? Those two things seem to run contrary to each other, and I went to guested it when the network launched that those two things would go together.
Speaker 2: But here we are, you know, yeah, like it would not have been easy to predict, But when you just kind of see the way things have unfolded, I guess I can't say I'm surprised by this, you know, I do think as much as like the product quality has been an issue for WWE, I do think when it comes to the network subscriber count, but we also I mean, there's so many factors. I've just heard so many. Like one popular theory is that, oh, it's NXT being moved to USA network and I don't subscribe to that.
Speaker 3: I think it's a contributing factor.
Speaker 2: But I do think it's a little bit of that, a very small amount of that, a little bit of the product quality, and by and large, just all the streaming competition that has emerged since WWE Network launched.
Speaker 1: I think that's a big part of it. I think not only that, but you'll notice there's TV commercials now. I know on my credit card apps, it will tell you you have this much money going to subscription services this month, and they're running TV commercials going, let us help you cancel your streaming services you're not using, and I mean they are. You know, that's like a selling point now, is let us help you manage things that you're paying for that you're not using. And there's so much content on the air right now, you know, with Ross SmackDown, NXT plus ae W and then all these other satellite thinks for YouTube and other you know, channels with with impact, and so you have that happening and there's a saturation level being reached with a lot of fans who I it makes sense some people would be like, you know what, I'm gonna watch aw and I'm going to order their pay per views, you know, two three times a year when when you know when they're when they're around, I'll decide if I want to. And that's my one hundred twenty dollars WWE network budget, and it's by definition, I know people who made that choice, you know, so I know it's more than one. I don't know if it's twenty thousand or two hundred thousand people who have made that decision or a mulling it over, But it makes sense that some people would say, this is why I can justify spending on watching wrestling on television. And there's so much WWE, and now I can watch n XT without the network. So I think it's a combination of factors along with yeah, I talked with my family and we need Disney Plus and we have to get Apple TV now for that series, and so I had to make a cutback, and I watched so much wrestling was hard for me to justify to my family that I'm watching WOB network.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 1: I think it's a confluence of all those.
Speaker 3: And let's throw in one more.
Speaker 2: When you look at the overall count, this is not new people just learning about the network and signing up for the first time. This is people who figured out that WWE is desperate to inflate their number and we'll give them a deal of the lifetime to stick around.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I guess some of that works into the paid number, but still, I just don't believe that they're finding all these people that are signing up for the first time.
Speaker 3: I think they're finding deals.
Speaker 2: I think they're you know it just I think there's people signing up under different email accounts to take advantage of free offers and things like that. Because I think their conversion rate, which is something that's not talked about because of the obvious it would be I mean, I think they'd be mocked for all the new people they have sampling the network that never sign up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the numbers are the way that they frame the numbers and the lack of transparency on how many are repeat customers and how many are how are they even tracking how many people sign up with a different email and keep cycling themselves in seasonally. That data just isn't as clear. They aren't mining that, and it doesn't seem like the Financial press is as concerned with that as I would be. I would like to know that, and we're not getting the point in questions that gets that data extracted. Are you frustrated when you listen to the Q and A with n sick Man and whoever the executives aren't joining him. That has switched this week? Are you frustrated by the questions that could ask? Are the ones that don't get asked?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Every time?
Speaker 2: And this time I thought, man, there's so much going on, this is going to be fascinating. And they, I mean, there were some good questions, but my god, are they obsessed with the Indian and Middle East television deals? I get asking about it. It is a factor, but figure it out. Once they give you their prepared answer, you're not getting more out of them. And they just kept asking in different ways the same question and would get the same answer over and over again. Same with the XFL. Now, I mean, that is something that I think Vince McMahon should be very concerned with the perception that this is not separate from WWE. There was a one caller said, Hey, there's people interested in your stock, but there's a couple of main things that are concerning them, and the XFL is one of them. And I mean there's only, I guess, so many ways Vince can say that operated separately, but there's a real perception issue out there that people don't buy that, especially when they're seeing Vince McMahon's first press conference was at a WWE studio. There's WWE email account sending out XFL blurbs, and so even if it is completely financially independently separate, there's still reasons for people to be skeptical of that. And I think, you know, he sent out the message as best he could well as well as he was going to, but it's still there. I don't think, you know, not every person who's afraid of the XFL costing them WWE stock money is listening to this call.
Speaker 1: It's remarkable how little XFL hype there has been through WWE, television and otherwise. I mean, there's there's connections there. I can understand people being concerned if you're the head coach of an NFL team, and suddenly you're also directing a movie during the NFL season. People are going to be like, wait a second, you know, are we supposed to trust your assistance or are you video conference? Like how are you doing both things at once? They can be separate. You can say, well, the NFL team has nothing to do with this blockbuster movie that I'm the director of, but clearly you know your time is split. And Vince has always been a workaholic, so it's not like, oh, I had you know him announced, So I've reduced my hours of b to twenty hours a week the last five years, So I'm just putting in twenty thirty hours of the XFL. But no one will notice. So of course he can say they're separate entities, but it's him. He sells himself more than ever with the departure of George Barrows from Michelle Wilson as the guy you know who holds us all together. So it's a very reasonable question to ask, and it's not a particularly reasonable answer to say their separate entities except for the pure financial aspect of it, which is, if the XFL bombs, it won't affect the bottom line of WWE. Finally, it won't affect wly to be financials. But if Vince is WWE and Vince is involved in the XFL, then that's still a fair question and I'm not sure he's getting that aspect of people's concern.
Speaker 2: He was asked about his workload, I mean, because they didn't really tie in the XFL so much. It's just with Michelle Wilson and George Barrios no longer being with the company, and he went total Vince McMahon mode on it. I have broad shoulders, I can handle a lot, that was his answer. I mean there, yes, they're plugging the idea that they're going to find they're going to recruit somebody or I guess do something from within, but most likely bring somebody in from the outside. And another only Vince moment was when he asked who wouldn't want to work for WWE, it's exciting.
Speaker 1: What what is the number one surprise from the financials today for you or the conference call?
Speaker 2: Well, I think the big one is the caret that he dangled in front of everyone, which is WWE network as we know it may not exist, it may go away entirely.
Speaker 3: It could.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's the thing is what is this deal? And I mean he's talking about how it could be done in the first quarter, and naturally he's going to be non COMMITALSS to what this is. And Jake Barnett and I spent a lot of time talking about this and dot neant weekly and just some of the various approaches they could take with this. It could be all of ww network moves to another streaming service, you know. The one that makes the most sense would seem to be ESPN Plus because they have that deal with UFC. It may not be for the network as we know. It could be for the four major pay per view events, could be for all the pay per view events. So I mean, it really depends on how this is structured. But I think that it was so interesting to hear him kind of drop that in and then make it, you know, and if this gets done, I'm it'll be done in the first quarter. I think even though he tried to make it seem casual, I think that was very much a planned strategy to kind of distract people, which I don't even in retrospect, I don't even know.
Speaker 3: That he needed to do.
Speaker 2: I mean, there were definitely questions about it, but for whatever reason the people that call into these financial reports don't ask I mean there's some, but most just go along for the ride, don't ask him too many tough questions.
Speaker 1: You can support us on Patreon and get these shows with ads and plugs, remove the weight Keller Prossing podcast, Weight Keller Prossing post shows and the PW Torch daily cast throughout the week with ads and plugs remove, plus a few bonus VIP shows throughout the month for just four dollars and ninety nine cents a month. Check it out patreon dot com slash PW torch vip. That's Patreon dot com slash PW torch vip and you can also upgrade to other tiers and receive even more benefits through Patreon. The idea that he gets asked about selling advertising on the network, and he's like, well, you know, if there is a network, I mean it's like he's he's putting stuff out there, and I mean, are you getting the sense at all that they're waving the white flag on the network being the right approach for them to take and they really are looking at moving to another streaming service or as was brought up, just splitting off the pay per view and finding a way to have quote the best of both worlds. Maybe we can still sell WrestleMania in summer Slam and Survivor series the way AW and USC do, but also have a base of subscribers it would drop. Who are who want all this? I guess you know, shoulder content and secondary content including say NXT takeovers. Or is this just the distraction to get the financial world going. Oh, they got a lot of things that could change things for the better. And even though Wilson and Burials are gone, and even though network numbers are gone, man, they never stop thinking and they're nimble and they're looking at all options and it's more of a distraction than a reality.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a distraction in this case, you know, because it's just the confidence that he spoke with about this. It really does seem like something is cooking here. And I do wonder if it plays into the departures of Wilson in Barrios, if they disagreed with this approach, and that is where the divide comes into play. Perhaps even you know that we don't know, but there's been a lot of speculation that some of the executive bonuses are tied into networks and the time of viewer consumption of the network and that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if that's the case, but if it.
Speaker 2: Is and the network's going away, you know, I could see that being a source of frustration for them.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I do think there is something here.
Speaker 2: I don't think this is just you know, dangling the carrot and hoping it distracts people.
Speaker 3: I think there's something going on.
Speaker 2: And I think if you look at UFC's deal with ESPN plus, I mean their pay per view subscriber or you know, just their pay per view by count way down. But they don't have to care. They make their money anyway. Because of the way the deal was structured. They make more money than they did before when their pay per view numbers were actually strong.
Speaker 1: WW has been trying so hard for years now, obviously to get people in the door, and they had very high they have very high hopes. They had numbers that you know, if you check five plus years ago, I were going these are unrealistic. You know, these lapsed fans are not going to come rushing back to spend ten dollars a month every month to watch a few of their favorite wrestling shows and a product with a product that was pretty cold at that point. Otherwise, the idea that we're sitting here now talking about the possibility of them completely shifting strategies is is fascinating. The fact that when pressed, they won't say what the profitability of the network is, although there's a lot of accounting tricks. How profitable was the network? Well, are you counting the talent the wrestler pay for the events or not? Or is that considered a separate how there's base pay for wrestlers that they get, you know, the downsides they get that no matter what. Then they get a bonus check. Is that bonus check based off the gate you know, the ticket sales for the for WrestleMania or network subs If so, is it weighted towards the fact that most people who get the network in February, March, April and may have it almost you know, they have it because they want wrestle Ma. So do you weigh that more heavily or do you go nope, it's just three hours out of a thousand hours they were a subscriber. And so like there's so many ways to wiggle the numbers. It's not an honest question, it's not a fair and there's no way to fairly and honestly and accurately answer how profitable is a network? And Riddick said, well, we don't give that information out, Well, how can you because if you did, you would really need to show the details to get people to understand what that really means. And so we don't really know how profitable the network is. But w B shown with Saudi Arabia with Fox and then USA with the renewal. They're looking for big scores. So if there is a streaming service out there that says, well, you know, let's say Netflix feels vulnerable. They lose a lot of their library to these other streaming services. Disney especially, they are creating their own original movies and original series. But they're like, man, could we add just you know, could we add a million people for X amount of money? And or do we already have those people? And if we pay a lot for Dotamine network, we're just going to be giving people bonus content who already subscribing. And I don't know the math on that. Is it more likely a sports based product like ESPN that then thinks, well, if we get all the rest and fans in maybe they're more likely to buy UOC pay per views, and then ESPN can charge that premiere tier like they do for UFC for pay per views. There's so many ways this could shake out. I don't sense.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, Vince made it sound like, well, if the things that we have in the works come through, it's going to be transformative, and he used that word, but I didn't get a sense of, really, what do you think he's bluffing or do you think he has a very specific idea of a deal that might happen.
Speaker 2: No, when he used like, if he was just speaking generally about this possibility, then I might think he's bluffing. But when he says this, could you know if it's going to happen, it can go down in the first quarter.
Speaker 3: I think something's happening. I really do. And Netflix is one.
Speaker 2: I know you're just giving an example, but yeah, I don't know how much of it they would be in the game because they don't have any type of live opponent to what they do right now, and I haven't I don't follow it closely, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think that they're moving in that direction, But I think I believe Amazon it does have that capability, and I know they've been players for like the NFL package and things like that, so you know, I guess we could add them to the potential mix of you know, just I guess perspective buyers of the network or whoever you want to label this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's it's fascinating. I mean, I think more so than we anticipated. Again, it's a little bit of a distraction from Wilson and Barrios being gone, did you I mean, Vincent Man just kind of framed it as because it's funny, like a week ago when I was talking about the departures of Wilson and Baris and in the cover story too, I was like, well, you know, I mean, there's not a lot left for them to do. You know, they've got their network revenue coming in, They're Saudi Arabia money coming in, their major TV deals. House shields are sort of you know, not what they once were, obviously, but now it's just sort of, you know, where they need to improve is on the creative side. They need to create stars, make the product better, and figure out a way to navigate oversaturation and figure out where there should be synergy and where there should have shouldn't be in all that in terms of all the different ways they distribute their their content through the three major US brands. But now a week later, it does seem as if Baris and Wilson might have had a very different idea that there might be these new frontiers or major changes that there was infighting over, and that might have been going on for a while, and if they were advising for or against something, and Vince was, you know, on the opposite side. It does seem like WWE and six months or a year could be actually in quite a different place in terms of their business setup. And and they're actually the next people who come in as president or coot presidents. They might end up being part of, as Vince said, a transformative era of WWE business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they could.
Speaker 2: I mean when they when the it was first announced, I thought, Man, is this Vince throwing them under the bus for a bad report or just a bad outlook not reaching those television deals that kept coming up today in the Middle East, in India. But the more I thought about, it's like, if you're going to do if you're gonna throw somebody under the boss, you throw one of them under the bus. You know, you pick between the two and then you just held the hell out of the other one. I don't think you would just get rid of both of them. I thought Michelle Wilson was as powerful as anybody in that company, just because of some of the battles that she's won, you know, the power struggles that she's won, and know, just with female empowerment and everything. I thought, if anyone was gonna go, probably Barrios and Michelle would stick around. But to see both of them go, that really surprised me.
Speaker 5: Me an extra dose of positivity in your wrestling podcasts, will come join me Alan four l Over in the Progress Paradise at pedotorch VIP as we ask on the bright side of wrestling and focus on some of the great matches and shows from around the world, be it the US, Japan, Europe or Mexico.
Speaker 1: There's always a.
Speaker 5: Place for restlings past in the Paradise too, and we've done fun historical shows such as the We Love Liger series celebrating the glorious career of Jusian Thunderliger and our eye was there when shows where our guests will join me to talk about a classic bout that they were in attendance for. We love variety and you can expect lots of it at the Progress Paradise. Detailed pw Torch VIP subscription information and a list of all the VIP benefits is available at pterwrew torch vip info dot com. And yes, all VIP podcasts are compatible with popular podcast apps on iPhone and Android devices, or you can stream them directly from our ad free VIP mobile site. See you in the Paradise.
Speaker 1: So what looking at the landscape, what do you think I think a new the legacy of the of the new executives are going to be or do you sense and again it's a sense, it's not hard information that Vince just sort of wants more control right now and the people who come in to replace the departures will have less power. Do you think that Vince is looking for that person to kind of well he puts up a strong front in terms of his leadership and his ideas, that he's actually looking for somebody who agrees with him on strategy but will take will make big changes.
Speaker 2: I get just I think it's a Vince power thing, because I this isn't we're promoting Frank Riddick, who's the interim person handling Wilson Embarius's duties.
Speaker 3: By the sounds of it, I mean.
Speaker 2: That's his title is interroim, and it's not he and I share this vision and therefore I'm promoting him into this position. They're looking for outsiders, you know. I mean, is there a chance the interim title is taken away? I guess, but it doesn't seem to be something that was hinted at today. Didn't seem to be like they're strongly considering. They weren't counting anyone that's already under WWE employment. It really did sound like they're aggressively looking outside the company. And when you do that, I mean, that tells me that, yeah, he's going to want somebody that's going to come in and execute his vision. I think this was a power struggle. I mean, I don't know it, but it's Vince. I wouldn't be surprised to be used as the lingo that he uses in creative It is a hill you want to die on, And they said, yes, we.
Speaker 1: Looking at w STOCK today. There's not a sense that people are impressed with what they're hearing. Despite the idea of a major deal to sell their pay per views or their network content. They're done about eight percent as recording, this to under forty five dollars. And when you look at where they were a week ago on January thirtyeth through at sixty two dollars. This if the strategy here, Evin's going aggressively, wo might announce something in the first quarter was meant to boost stock prices, that is not happening. I mean CNN dot com headline. Things keep getting worse for WWE deadline, WWE earnings woes, stock drop overshadow return of Vince McMahon's XFL the wraps you know, talks about the b in talks to sell pay per view rights to another major quote unquote streaming service, and at New York posts be stock tanks after revenues, mis expectations, on and on. I mean the headlines out there when you do a search of keywords right now online for all, for the industry reaction to this, to the data drop today on the press conference, it's it's it didn't work. If the strategy was, let's hit these bull points, so we see that a lot. I mean, nobody asks meinsick man how's that reinventing a house shills coming that you talked about six monthes ago. You know, there isn't that follow up. But at the same time they're looking at the hard numbers and then they're hearing if you pay attention to things, Vince says, that don't actually come to fruition you you have to go show me. I'm not going to buy stock based on this idea that you're blowing up. Are you're touting something that might happen, that might be good and it also might come across as again them waving the white flag a little bit on those really high hopes upon which some of the stock price was based that they can grow to to you network as they expand internationally and just reach new people.
Speaker 2: What's left after this, and I know you talked about that a little bit with Wilson and Barrios and what would be left for them. But if they do indeed sell off the network and transform that in some way, okay, it's just a struggle to get the next television deal. I mean, they had their deal locked in with Saudi Arabia for a while. They're sat on TV for a little while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but what else? What is there. I don't even know.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it comes back to Bruce Mitchell and I talked about this a few days ago on the Bruce Mitchel Audie Show, and they need to just find a way to do better creative, you know, like actually create stars and get people excited about the actual product. And you know when you watch SmackDown, like I don't actually dread Smacked On. I think some people who like watch Smacked On're like, oh god, you know I'm gonna slog.
Speaker 3: Through this there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, I mean there are weeks. But but I I, you know, I like, I enjoy it. It's it's sort of low stress, you know, it's just it's Bruce Pritchard Vince McMahon sports entertainment with their quote larger than the life characters kind of doing WWE sports entertainment. It's not it doesn't really challenge me. But there's enough people that I, you know, think are doing good work in the ring and good work on the mic. It's it's fine, but I don't get really like it doesn't I don't get really excited going into the weekend about wo B. But and some shows are kind of blah, but like that's not enough, you know what I mean, Like, there's not this sense. So my my I'm setting up the foundation of my baseline is I don't hate smacked on right now. And I know some people like, oh, I fee that's so boring, blah blah blah, Baron Corbyn, this, King Corbyn that, but it is not going to inspire people except for you know, kids who are discovering WWE and want to go and see their those here, those super stars in person. It's not an inspiring product. I think Raw is better, I think NXT is better, but there isn't that breakout star. And I don't think Drew McIntyre, as much as I'm in favor of the Pushy's getting, is going to be to use the word of that transformative babyface for them. I think he's a good choice to be their lead babyface and has a chance to be really good in that position, but he's not gonna be transformative. So to me, what's left and I don't is focusing on that. And it's people in the financial world who are part of these quarterly calls that they don't watch the show. They don't have any sense of whether Drew McIntyre has a chance to be a breakout star or who an NXT might be called up there. They don't even know who Keith Lee is and couldn't pick him out of a lineup. That's what we do. But the next thing for them is to either with a breakout star or just like RAW. I think the last couple of months just piece by piece put out better shows and inch their way up. But wbe's and Vinc mc mann is in the business of that rush from the big deal, yes, and that takes away from the week by week improvement and tending to the product. I don't think Vince is bored by the wrestling, but I don't think he thinks that will make a big enough difference because it used to be house showgates. Oh did we do a million dollars at MSG? Oh no, we did eight and ninety. What are we gonna do to fix that for next time? Now they're making billions of dollars. That stuff a small change, but you eventually pay the price for not being inspired and refreshing that aspect of your business. And I think there's a sense of other than on, you know, like Ron nxta booker's you know, it seems like who are somewhat inspired to trying your things. But SmackDown is on Fox, and I think that the air came out at WWE's image to a certain degree with how sort of mediocre they're doing on Fox. And there's not buzz about the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's I mean, I don't dread it. There was probably the last time I was ONIE. But I was in that mode, right, I really was. It's gotten a little. It's palatable. I guess it's the best word I can use to describe SmackDown.
Speaker 3: Yep. But yeah, I mean, this is Fox.
Speaker 2: This is the one we thought, well, Fox themselves, they had all these great ideas for what they were going to do for WWE, and it was go ahead, please make this more sports like you know whatever. Our everyone's different, everyone has a different vision for improvement. It hasn't changed. It's just okay, there's graphics in an ac DC song. They have two commentators now instead of three. This is the same product and maybe even worse because this is you know, I suspect strongly Bruce Pritchard writing for Vince Bookman or Vince Bmocmann writing for himself. That's what we're getting on this show and that doesn't cut it in twenty twenty anymore. It hasn't cut it in a few years now. Vince has gone down the hill dramatically, which is what's so funny about these quarterly conference calls. The financial people seem to think like he's the solution to everything, and they don't realize, No, he's the real problem here.
Speaker 1: Thanks for downloading today's show. Take it to the next level with a VIP membership. Get you like this the way Keller Prosing Podcast, Weykeller Prosing post show, and the pw Torch daily casts on our pw Torch VIP podcast feed with ads and plugs removed from the shows for a streamlined listening experience. And also hear the VIP exclusive shows that I host with Rich Fan and Todd Martin, Everything with Rich Fan and The Fix with Todd Martin signature VIP series that you're missing out without a VIP membership. So go VIP here in twenty twenty two and enjoy all the benefits, all the bonus content and the ad free listening experience. Pw torch dot com slash go vip. All right, we're deeping the show here, but let's set the table introduce ourselves. This is the Way Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast for Thursday, February six, twenty twenty. I'm Way Keller, host of the program, joined by Jason Powell from Pro Wrestling dot Net. Jason a twenty plus your veteran reporter and analyst covering professional wrestling runs. Progressing dot Net also hosts the Pro Wrestling Boom podcast. Jason, list off the last five or six guests you've had on that on your on your free weekly podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, you're asking me to think, Yeah, that's incredible. It's this week. Court Valuer was the week before. Who did I have on prior to the NWA pay per viewers Alison K Yeah, the week before that. Oh my gosh, Ricky Starks, I believe, And I'm neither missing somebody in between or I don't remember five weeks back.
Speaker 3: I'm impressed I made it this far back.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I was I should. I kind of knew I was putting on the spot when I did that. My point is, you've got a really cool, diverse mix of different people in different roles in wrestling on your show on a weekly basis, so people should check it out. If they have it yet. Plus you talk all kinds of current events too.
Speaker 3: You got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And so you mentioned twenty years. So yes, I'm old, but I'll never be as old as Bruce Mitchel. That's the important thing to remember.
Speaker 1: No, that is that is I believe how how time works. So you are correct? All right? Well, anything else from w Financials before we kind of turn the page with some other stuff here.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm trying to think if anything else really did jump out.
Speaker 2: It's uh, you know, having talked about it with Jake now it's it's starting to turn into a blur.
Speaker 3: But I think we hit kind of the key points on this. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Again, I think it just comes down to the structure, if they do indeed move the network, or it's just you know, it's transformative whatever. You know. However, this changes things, you know, I think naturally think there's going to be some concern with the consumer, you know, and that's the thing that Wall Street doesn't give a damn about. And I really wonder if Vince McMahon gives a damn about. I think there's there's real potential for backlash year Wade, you know, not just the Roman reigns one I'm canceling my subscription and then you know, three people do or something. I think real potential backlash from people bothered by this that you know, hey, you've been selling me on nine ninety nine for how long? That's what your product is worth to me now, but you want me to pay how much for WrestleMania this year. We don't know if that's what's going to happen, but it wouldn't be surprising if that's the approach they're going to take. If it is like UFC, Okay, you got to sign up for ESPN Plus and then they'll deduct that amount from your pay per view purchase. But I mean, that's basically what this is. But it's not traditional pay per view either. So you're asking people who in some cases to struggle to figure out how WWE Network ended up functioning, to now figure out how ESPN or whoever does theirs. I mean, so I think there's I mean, but the thing, if it's structured like the UFC ESPN Plus deal, toywe is not going to have to care because they're going to have their their set money anyway. And then we get back into something you and I spent a lot of time kind of shooting down, which is the notion that, oh, they have the network and so they have their built.
Speaker 3: In money, they're not going to care. No.
Speaker 2: Now when that could come into play If the deal is structured like UFCS, if it's incentive based, great, But if it's here's a boatload of money for the next five years of your pay per view, Okay, it's gonna work like TV where they're gonna worry about it to some extent, but it's they're not living and dying off of each one and trying to move that network number, subscription number up. It's just, you know, okay, we can get through this show and fulfill our obligation.
Speaker 1: They're so far removed from oh we didn't we didn't get this much at MSG this month. What can we what angle can we run or who should we rotate into a main evan spot in order to help business? But that is at the core what drives business, not the model, not a tier, not a slight price change, not a different way of pitching something. It's about getting people to want to see a wrestler beat another wrestler in a match that they have created a scenario that in fans' minds. That matters in terms of a story that they're invested in, and the more removed they get from that, the more all this other stuff matters less. Now it matters if they can strike a transformative deal where their revenue goes up. That's fine. But that's Vince mcmhnon playing the Wall Street game, the profits game, the balance sheet game. He's not a wrestling promoter anymore. He's just playing around with delivery methods and revenue deals. And that's always been part of Vince's business, you know, I mean trying to you know, run buildings and not let others in buildings and buy TV spots and major markets when he expanded. I mean, he's always been a bit on the business side, very aggressive. This isn't like something new, but it was always connected so much to TV ratings, ticket sales, pay per view buys, and you just hear a disconnect now and I think that's to me, that's still the ultimate concern. You know, with the departure Barrows and Wilson matters a lot, but in one respect, it doesn't matter at all for arrest fan because what a wrestling fan cares about. Yes, I mean, I know the ESPN Plus to watch uc pay per view. My head hurt the first time I tried to figure out how to do it. And I'm pretty tech savvy. I'm the one who people go to to figure stuff like this out. And I was like, oh God, I want to watch this pay per view, but oh, what do I have to do now? And I'm like, go side of this and then this gets deducted from that, and then I have to log in and then do this, and then I have to download an app. Is does my Samsung TV have that app? Or do I have to Who got an Apple TV? It was just like a mess, you know, Like so that's not serving the fans if there's that complication. But in the end, fans are going to find a way to watch a match or an event they want to watch. They will overcome that hurdle if they're motivated. But if they're not, I'm like, god, screw it. I'm just gonna put on you know, AW and the DVR, go watch NWA Power on my laptop And so some of that matters, But in the end, you need fans to want the product for it to work. And what we're talking about isn't probably of interest to a lot of people listening to the show, They're just like, I just want to I just want wrestlers. I want to I just want to be invested in good matches with wrestlers I care about, and all this other stuff doesn't matter. And I just don't sense that there's that level of introspection publicly by Vincent Mann or anyone in WWE. And maybe, I mean maybe that's where they spend ninety percent of their time behind the scenes, and it just doesn't come up in these things. And obviously a decision to turned room Ac and tire Babyface and have them win the rumble, and the creative idea pro or con of having Lesnar enter first and doing the storyline with him, they're obviously still doing creative things on a week to week basis. But I just don't sense that they realize that's where that has to be, that has to be fixed, and that's what needs to be transformative for all these other things to matter, other than if you're just you know, playing a game of moving, moving the pieces around in terms of how you distribute the product and the deals you sign, and I get that's the game. There, I now is a public good traded company. That's what excites in Man and his people, and they quote need to do it because he judges himself on stock price now more than TV ratings or ticket sales.
Speaker 6: In twenty twelve, NXT transitioned into the developmental system and ultimately the brand you see today. On the Torch Vip podcast NXT Eight Years Back, we'll be taking a weekly look at this page in NXT's early history.
Speaker 7: Join Kelly Wells and me Tom Stout from PWT Talks NXT every Saturday as we go eight years back to the day to track NXT's rising talents and why they did or didn't work out exclusively for PW Torch Vip members.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean all of that is in play.
Speaker 2: I want to back up the you know, two fans who just you know, want to think more about the booking or what was a good match. They're going to care if they're suddenly asked to go from paying nine to ninety nine to paying you know, fifty bucks for a pay per view for WRESTLEMANNI or whatever that dollar fit would be. And that's where I think WWE there could be some real backlash over that, not that you know, wrestling fins are still gonna watch wrestling, doesn't mean they're not gonna watch Ron SmackDown. But are they going to be quick to pay fifty bucks or whatever that price would be for wrestling?
Speaker 3: Nannia, Do they just decide screw it?
Speaker 2: No, I can watch all these other all these other programs that are available to me for free. Things have changed a lot since WWE's pay per view days, and there's just so much more competition out there just in the wrestling genre alone that I think, you know, some people are going to make that decision to say, ah, whatever, I'll follow along with way Keller's report or Jason Powell's report.
Speaker 3: I don't need to see this, screw them.
Speaker 1: Or I'll find a way to find it online and some other o.
Speaker 3: There is that too, Yeah, And I.
Speaker 1: Mean if the price gets high enough, I mean, if they charged a million dollars for a pay per view, I would resort to that, you know what I mean, Like I would have to, you know, practically speaking, and if you reduce it down there are some people who practically speaking can have four to ten bucks a month. They can't. They'll get kicked out of the house. If there's a sixty five dollars bill on cable for a wrestling pay per view, And so I don't know where they would be right now if they had stuck with pay per view in terms of how the revenue would compare and how you know, what the what the pace of pay per view buys would be, if it would have been, if it would have diminished at the same rate TV ratings have or or what. I mean, we just don't know. That's an alternate universe. And anyone who says they know doesn't. You can look at indicators and try to guess. But you are right to back up and make that point that if they suddenly start trying to charge people thirty or fifty or seventy dollars. I mean, I looked at the Conor McGregor fight. I was like, I kind of, you know, want to see this, and I just looked and I was like, I can't justify paying whatever seventy bucks or whatever for what amount to probably a two minute squash, and that's what it turned out to be. And so I just that's again, but it comes kind of full circle back to even it You're right, even if the product is really good, will people be resistant after the ten dollars flat fee or ninety nin for so long will they be resistant to seeing through McIntyre against brock Lesner, no matter how good of a job they do building that up. And that's absolutely a question that Vince McMahon doesn't know the answer to.
Speaker 2: And the scary part of it's the dealers structor like UFCS, he's not gonna have to care I always right, you know, when it comes to that paper. Now, there could be other effects on his overall product that he would have to care about, but when it comes to the pay per view, he just rugged his shoulders.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And and same with the same thing with raw ratings. There's fewer people watching, and then people shrug their shoulders, and Vince can point to, oh, look we were the number was it? Two three and seven rated? Seventh rated hours a couple of weeks ago in January and all of cable, you know, they were one of the top rated. Even though the ratings are lower than last year and way lower than two and three years ago. They can point to certain things to go yeah, but relatively speaking, my counter argument to that is, yeah, but fewer people are watching your products start to finish live and that reduction in engagement means fewer people being being exposed to your current and new ste fewer people being excited to buy tickets, fewer people and who are even a candidate to buy the network. So you can say, well, we got a flat fee for X number of years, so ratings don't matter. That's just BS ratings matter because that's those are the that's a that is a gauge on not only a gauge on how excited they are now compared to one month ago or a year ago. But if you say, well, but the trend is downward, it's inevitable, Well, you have fewer people who are watching your product. And I don't think watching the top ten moments in w on YouTube is the same thing as a viewer watching raw live in terms of someone being a candidate to buy a ticket or buy the network. So it it still comes back to that, and I am I'm fascinated to see where they go. And then you have aw just kind of doing their thing for two hours a week, much lower budget but high enough to look major league, you know, putting out pay per views. I think it's going to be telling how revolution does the first one I got, you know, in what way do you think.
Speaker 2: Well, just if wwster for pay per view again, you know, does that cut into people's budget for AW?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: You know, I mean in some cases, I think it'll drive people to AW, you know, the more disenfranchised people that are frustrated and that hey, AW has been charging.
Speaker 3: This all along.
Speaker 2: I mean, WWE did this. This is ten dollars. This is what your pay per view and the whole monthly service are now worth. So there could be some backlash with that. I mean, you still you do hear from people when it comes to the price point of AW shows done, this is way too much. Everybody else is charging ten bucks. But they could actually be the good guy to some people because well that's what they've done from the beginning, where WWE is gone, hey, we're taking that back.
Speaker 1: Well, and aw's out running monthly shows and they're giving you two hours a week on cable, not seven. So there's you know, I guess with pay per views it's generally five hours around. SmackDown NXT's not a big part of the of the monthly pay p reviews on network. But nevertheless, yeah, AW can be the good guy, and you know they're going to splinter the market. I mean, if there's a hardware store on a corner and there's a line out the door because so many people want to buy hammers and nails and lawnmowers, and there's an empty location across the street that used to be a Blockbuster, somebody is gonna look and go, oh god, there's a lot of hardware business in this market. I'm gonna open one kitty corner and take forty fifty percent of their revenue underprice them get sixty percent, like OfficeMax, you know, kind of did to drive all the mod pop office supply stores out of business twenty years ago. AW is that is opening up in that empty Blockbuster they're saying, or what used to be WW or whatever. They're filling that void. And by definition, there are people who are progressing fans and they're gonna watch them pro wrestling, and aw's pulling them away from RAW. You know, that's one of the reasons RAW ratings are down from yer ago, even if the product is better, is some people just they only have so many so much time to watch wrestling, and AEW serves them better. So of course that's gonna carry over to pay per view, and of course that's going to carry over to some people canceling ww network because they want to save their money up for the every few months big pay per view with the wrestlers and the just the brand and that AW projects that people identify with and see as the good guy in this fight.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think this potentially Again, it all depends on the structure of the deal and if it goes to fruition, this could be one of the bigger stories of twenty twenty because it's not just WWEAEW all of a sudden, That money that somebody had for an NWA pay per view, Do I want to spend that now because you know WWE is charging me extra and I want to see that show, and you get the trickle down effect on our club all of it.
Speaker 3: I think everyone can be affected by this deal. Yep.
Speaker 1: Anytime you're watching WWE Raw or SmackDown or AEW Dynamite in particular, send us an email if you've got thoughts on the show or a topic you want us to address or a question for us. Wadkeller Podcast at pwtorch dot com. Weadkeller Podcast at petwtorch dot com. If there's anything else going on, in pro wrestling that you want us to address on our main podcast during our mailbank segments. That same email applies Wade Keller podcast at PW toorch dot com. We invite that interaction. Let us know what you think of what we're saying, and let us know what you want us to talk about and ask us specific questions. Wade Keller Podcast at pw torch dot com. All right, Jason, let's take a moment here for you to plug your website and your.
Speaker 3: Podcast absolutely pro Wrestling dot Net.
Speaker 2: I am updating the site way too much, live coverage of most of the major television shows and audio reviews as well. On the members side of things. It is the ad free version of Pro Wrestling dot Net. All the major television shows and pay per views covered in audio form. We also have the dot netweekly audio show where Jake Burnett and I get together and discuss all the news.
Speaker 3: Of the week.
Speaker 2: I host the Q and A show on Monday, answering members wrestling questions and non wrestling questions at the end, which is a lot of fun. And if you are into more just free podcast content, check out my Pro Wrestling Boom podcast. It's available wherever you get your podcasts, just search for Apple Podcasts or anywhere for Pro Wrestling Boom and my recent most recent guests have included just incredible Court Bower of MLW. Very open discussion with Court about all things MLW, at least what he could talk about because they're in some negotiations right now. But again that is Pro Wrestling Boom and if you have any questions about anything, you can always reach out to me on Twitter at Pro Wrestling Net.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about AW for a second. They've had some good things going right now in terms of Hangman Page and Knny Omegan, the Bucks that I think they're all in a better position the last time we talked Jason in terms of creating some buzz and people being invested in the direction that they go in. They've got a good thing going with John Moxley right now in Chris Jericho and just a good thing with Jericho in the Inner Circle and the Cody MJFF angle, and you know, we can it was a little over indulgent, a little long. I understand some of that criticism that's coming in, but overall, you know, they've taken MGF and turned it into a star with their audience, and Cody is a top tier sympathetic babyface to the aw audience, and and so I think they have some some strong pillars to their product right now. And yet on the other side, and I spent a decent amount of time on last night's postial talking about it, there's still kind of a sloppiness to certain things they're.
Speaker 3: Doing and.
Speaker 1: A sense of I mean, like I was ranting about this on the vipway Killer online Tuesday night a bit which is AW Dark in the Road to the City this week, it just feels like a deck of card shuffle of features, Like there's there's no coherent vision right now for what AW Dark is. I don't know how you are, but it's like a struggle to figure out what the announced matches are for aaw Even after I watch Dark and Road two, I still don't know what scheduled for Dark. I kind of remember what they said a week earlier, and then I can go on their Twitter feed and find it, but they don't have it on their website. And like, AW Dark should be hyping and promoting and getting you excited about Dynamite, and they're not doing it. So that's one example of where it does does feel like there's a number of chefs and they're working in different kitchens and they're not communicating with each other, and I just imagine where could they be with the good things, the good things that matter more than anything I just talked about. But if they were doing these other things better and the product was cleaned up a little bit, you know, take the red pen to the script and go, we can tweak this to improve this aspect of it, I think they could be, you know, significantly better off in terms of viewership and engagement to get people to buy their pay per views. And it does feel kind of sloppy. It still feels like a first draft sometimes of what this product I think should should have been by now. So what's what's your take on my sort of overview of where AW stands now?
Speaker 3: I know, I think you nailed it.
Speaker 2: I think watching the show, I do feel like we're seeing different creative visions. And I'm sure, you know, Tony Kahan's signing off on everything, but it does feel like, Okay, there's a different vision for what Cody's doing and maybe Jericho's doing, and then I don't know what's going on in the women's division.
Speaker 3: Happen time. That's a mess. The tag division is a bit of a mess at times.
Speaker 2: There's some better things happening on top now with I do when I went back way up, I think Hangman Page is in a better place, and it's mostly because of the stone cold quality of him boozing.
Speaker 3: I don't even think like that was my design.
Speaker 2: I think they, I agree, bumbled onto this, you know, and that's fine, you know that'll happen. But I don't really know that Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks are in a better place. I think Kenny kind of feels like the peacemaker. And if you're one of those people who is into you know, stone cold Hangman Page and him drinking and you're having fun with that, are you kind of looking at the Bucks going, well, knock it up, you kill Joyce?
Speaker 1: Well, absolutely when I say they're in a better place, and I agree with your kind of qualification on that, which is they're in a better place simply because they're involved in something people care about. But sure, fair enough, and that's all I mean, Because they're not in a better place if the idea is for them to be babyface as opposite of Hangman Page, turning heel. They have bubbled upon something and to extend the Stone Cold analogy, you know, he was supposed to be a heel and the fans started sharing him and they turned a face. Hulk Hogan came in at a w a supposed to be a heel, the fans started cheering him, and Hulkamania was born prior to going to WWF, by the way, for those who don't know that history and should And so now you have Hangman Page. And I'm not saying he's going to be the next Hulk Cogan or Stone Cult because I honestly don't think he will be, but I think he can be more than the next James Storm. And there's something happening here where Aw's audience relates to someone who wants to enjoy a beer and doesn't want the friend nagging them about drinking too much. And at this point, Hangman Page hasn't done anything that actually shows he's he deserves to have the beer he yanked out of his hand, like they've they've approached that line. And there's times where he seemed, you know, disengaged a little bit more than he should be if he's going to be a good friend and a good partner, but it's not I don't think working the way that they intend. So the question is is AW nimble enough to either say, all right, we got some of those Page, let's keep them babyface, and the young Bucks we want to keep them babyface too, So we need them to come to an understanding and kind of pat Page on the back and go, yeah, you do your thing, we'll do ours, and it's cool. We'll still be friends, but we're not. You know, if that's working for you, great, and then just get him into different programs or do you turn the box or do you turn Kenny? They have some options right now, and I'm curious because this is aw's first test of a crowd reaction going I think quite different than there they've envisioned when they booked it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if I've seen the Bucks work Keel since Gosh, what the generation me? Did they work some here? I mean, I've honestly forgotten back to what they did in impact. I'm sure they can so much of their offense. And to their credit, I mentioned last week in one of my hit lists that I don't think they get enough credit for adapting their style to who they're in the ring with.
Speaker 3: I think they do a really nice job of that.
Speaker 2: But so maybe they can go out there and work more of a heel style, eliminate some of the crowd pleasing spots and things like that.
Speaker 3: Can they handle it on the mic?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't mind seeing the Bucks turn heel, but I don't know it's the right direction. I guess I would take the approach of, all right, this is clicking better than we thought. We still have our guys in the elite, and we were going to go with hangman page feuding with Kenny Omega. Let's scrap that. There's other people they can both work with. This page thing is catching fire. There's no need to turn the popular Young Bucks or Kenny Omega right now. So let's just kind of figure it a way out of this if we wanted to. I think they want to have a match between those tag teams, and you can do that, but it can end with mutual respect and you kind of move on.
Speaker 1: That'd be kind of my vote right now. Although I am a trigue by the Bucks's heels, I don't know. I mean, the fans like them, and they aw fan base likes them, but they like other people too. They like Moxley a lot, they like Hangman Page a lot. We can, you know, like Cody a lot. I think they can afford to have the Bucks turned heel and feud with and then line up some some babyface teams to face them. I'm not against that. I think the Bucks could be obnoxious. I don't think being the elite on YouTube is an important enough franchise that you can't that you that you worry about risking what they've built up there. So I'm intrigued by it. I don't rule it out. There's a lot of other factors at play, so I can I can endorse in theory either approach that they take all of that said. I mean I lean a little bit towards keep them babyface and have them just kind of not come to a point in no return and instead just you know, have it out and then let hay Man Page go be a baby face but not be in the vicinity of Omega and the Bucks and let him do his thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, hey, if they if they feel like it's a good direction for the by, wouldn't proach I mean, I think they have proven over the years to be such strong merch sellers and things like that. My first inclination is to keep them babyfaced. But you know, if they're willing to figure out we got others we can sell T shirts with, then we'll be just fine.
Speaker 3: Cool. I'd be interested in that.
Speaker 1: I get merchandise sales. And I don't mean this like I'm saying it's important and it's not. It is important, but it's more important to present your wrestling characters on your TV show in a way that makes the product as good as it can be. And so the idea that while we can't turn this person heel because they're selling T shirts, it's like, I get that's a factor, but you're put the main driver. If you start doing that, you're sacrificing the quality of your overall product and the matches you're promoting. If you think merchandise aside, we should turn this this act heal and you don't do it. I just I'm not Yeah, I'm not a I'm not a believer in that. I think you have to do what's best for the wrestling product itself and let the merch money fallward. It may. I just you know, if they look at their per cat merch sales at live events. I just think people go to the show with fifty bucks or one hundred bucks and go, I'm willing to spend this, and they're going to spend it on you know something, And yes, they might buy a Bucks T shirt, but if it's not available or their heels, they're gonna buy a Mox T shirt or Cody T shirt or whoever.
Speaker 3: So anyway, unless you go to.
Speaker 2: The Awa Easter Spectacular with money to buy a T shirt and like Greg Gania looks like the Hulk in his because it's a weird green T shirt and all of the T shirts are terrible.
Speaker 1: Sorry at a flashback, Wow, that is quite the flashback.
Speaker 2: Searching for more great pro wrestling talk, then join me. Jason Powell host them the three weekly Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast. Each week he'll hear the latest news and analysis for me and my team at Pro Wrestling dot need along with other pro wrestling media members. Plus, the Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast features long form interviews with notable names in the pro wrestling industry. Subscribe and iTunes, Stitcher, Downcast, and all your favorite secondary apps, or visit us directly at pw boom dot com. Once again, that's pw boom dot com.
Speaker 1: So to speaking of some of the slop is something kind of the sloppiness of the product.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Jim Ross is the leader in pointing it out, you know, and he's a contributor to a degree with the mispronouncing the names, although he was a little self deprecating, which was in self aware, which was nice on last night's show about that joking not even I can misidentify the Bundy. But but you know, he's pointing out, you know, the tags and who's legal, and he's pointing out you know, wrestlers more and more worried about striking their signature pose in the middle of a match as opposed to winning a match.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, did I hate the finish of the Best Friends match?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: And Ross did too, and you could tell because he put it out. So there's and you know, I mean, there's just lots of weird little things. And again you can kind of get, you know, down a rabbit hole of doesn't really matter that Adam Page's picture of beer magically appeared out of nowhere when he walked into the hallway with with a with a plastic cup and suddenly you do that, w Yes, I just to me, like they should just pan the camera down, and there's Marco Stump handing it to him like that would I've had.
Speaker 3: To tell my girlfriend that before. I don't know where this came from.
Speaker 1: So there's there's weird sloppiness like and again like last week where Joey Genealogist happened to be sitting in the exact spot that Penelope and Kip Saviian were killed.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I didn't like that at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So they're doing things that are just a little too cute by half when you can explain them away if you put a little extra thought into it. And I'm I'm going to keep pointing that stuff out. Some people think it doesn't matter, or it's nitpicking, or you're taking the fun out of it. I just I just think you've clean up your product. You you want to have a a professional product. And part of it, to me is not that it's in and of itself is a big deal, but it's symptomatic of a sloppiness otherwise. You know, I mean a food analogy, if a chef that you're if you're at a restaurant on the cook er, chef walks out and out of the kitchen and his fly is down and his shirt's on backwards and he's sweating and there's you know, food on his nose. You're just like, oh God, what's going on in the kitchen that I'm not seeing? And do I really want to eat here? And I'm with aw. There's certain just weird things that happen that you would think of and that someone with an eye for the product would would clean up first. And then you just think, what is this symptomatic of behind the scenes in terms of the cohesion and vision and execution of the booking? And I think there are signs there that this product should be better than it is and it should be cleaned up a little bit. And I don't know if it is because they have you know this this weird as Tony contact with me about on the eve of Dynamite's debut, you know, well we just communicate by you know, Bucks are out, Kelly and Kenny's up in Canada, and Cody's over here and we're all just you know, kind of getting together once a week and piecing together a script. It kind of feels that way sometimes that there isn't that one cohesive vision and I don't know. I mean, does that is that a problem Jason? If so on a one to ten scale, real minor or real serious, I.
Speaker 2: Right now to their audience, it's probably well, I mean a three big picture. I think it's something to be concerned by. And I wouldn't be surprised at all. I don't know this, but I wouldn't be surprised if it bothers the hell out of some people who are involved in that creative process and others kind of have a different vision and don't think it matters, you know, I mean, that's going to happen when you have so many different people taking part in this creative process. And I do I mean, I just see. And maybe it's because he's paying more attention to his own stuff, but I don't see this level of clumsiness when it comes to what Cody is doing, for instance, or Jericho is doing.
Speaker 3: And you know, and so, but I don't know who's booking what.
Speaker 2: I think that would be fascinating to find out if is all of this, can you trace all of it back to one or two people or is it no, that's just you know, collaborative and and this is just.
Speaker 1: Happening in my interview Cody year and a half ago, he said, you know, the Bucks have their ironic approach to wrestling style, and it's not my style, you know, he said, He's more traditional. You have Cody saying recently that watching Dynamite should be all you have to watch, you know, the shoulder content.
Speaker 3: It should be.
Speaker 1: It should be and it's not even close. And I don't know who's keeping track to that.
Speaker 2: I mean, what they need to hire someone for quality control in a major way, not just for the shows and the YouTube shows and all of that, but just to clean up some of the things we're talking about. I think the right person, could, you know, I mean the key would be what it matter? Would the people in charge actually go, hey, you're right, let's fix this, or or do they just yeah, we don't care about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, I mean I will just say whether they care or not, they should, you know, they object, I think for the pride of having a better product. I mean, Brandy Rhoads, you watch you know, the Road to Cleveland and there's a session with a therapist. Then you watch a r What No, I didn't, Yeah exactly, Well you're right, and then you watch aw Dark.
Speaker 3: Here here's my approach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if now this week I just simply ran out of time, I will use I'll read reports on Dark because I just don't I mean, there's so much content and I'm not you know, if somebody wants to watch Dark and enjoy it, awesome for me. I just you know, there's something has to give. And I'm covering so many shows. That's not one of them I'm covering. And so if there's something that I feel like, oh, I need to see this, then I'll go back and kind of you know, skip ahead to that part on YouTube. I used to watch The Road Toos. They've not a good job of marketing that. It was like, oh, that's back. I had no idea. So yeah, I mean, I'm kind of that person who buy and law just watching Dynamite and there's so many things I'm like, like the whole Nightmare collective thing, like how has this not been explained on the show? How is Dark not mentioned on Dynamite on a regular basis?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: So I'm kind of that person that is doing what Cody said you could do, and unfortunately he was inaccurate.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the thing, and so they go to the trouble of of you know, Brandy's producing these these segments with her therapist, and I'm like, the amount of time that it took to produce that segment that doesn't get acknowledged on Dynamite for two weeks in a row. And then she comes and then we have the awesome Cang attack and was that referenced on Dynamite No? Nope. So and then you have Brandy showing up as the wife of Cody minus all the hair snippin' spooky stuff whatever she was doing, the cult like stuff, and we don't get an explanation for that either. It's it's I mean, if Vince Russell was doing this, people, there would be way more people mock you know what I mean? Like the aw's in this honeymoon period where there's these things happening and people are like, yeah, but this is cool and that's cool and they've got goodwill and they're cool people and I'm rooting for them, But there I think it's it's not serving them that there aren't people being more critical of some of this, just shoddy continuums of characters. The time it took for Brandy to put those segments together that have amounted to nothing, So far. If instead she read over the script and had an active role behind the scenes being the quality control person like that would be a much better use of Tony Kahn's money for her. Then these segments that are on two different shoulder content shows that end up being contradicted or not acknowledged at least yet. Maybe they'll tie it all together in the next week or two, but so far they haven't. So yeah, it's where in aw dark has been one of the bigger disappointments, you know. I mean, it's just throwing together some matches that they taped the six days earlier, and they're not and they're not hyping dynamite. That should be a vehicle to get an extra fifty or one hundred thousand people to watch on TNT who might skip it or might otherwise be watching NXT, and they're not taking advantage of that. I just it does kind of it blows my mind. It is an option they're reaching a lot of people, and they're not taking advantage of it.
Speaker 2: Take two minutes out of the show to do a quick recap video and in some weeks if there's not enough justify two minutes, fine, dude, ninety second whatever. But just they tell us what's happening on that show if it's supposed to matter, and yeah, they don't do that. It's so rare that they even acknowledge that that show exists on Dynamite. It's strange to me. I don't understand why you wouldn't. I don't understand why you'd run angles on that show and then have no follow up whatsoever on the Actually yeah, I mean, I know they've kind of talked about Dynamite or Dark kind of being like, well, we need to get a lot of people some reps and things like that, because you know they're not letting a lot of their talent work elsewhere. Okay, the then leave it dark. If this is what you're gonna do, thin, just have a bunch of truly dark matches.
Speaker 1: You don't have to wait for the way Keller Pro Wrestling post show to find out what I thought of Monday Night Raw and SmackDown. Each week, you can check out my reports that are updated live throughout Raw and SmackDown at pwtorch dot com. My written report will tell you what's happening in detail in case you missed the show, and it will also analyze key segments and give my random thoughts quips on what I am watching as it airs. So check it out every Monday night and Tuesday night at pewtorch dot com. That also applies to wwepayperviews. I cover those live at pw torch dot com with a detailed written report with star ratings, and of course you can find other TV reports from other contributors to pw torch such as nxt roh, Impact Wrestling and more. Check it out pwtorch dot com your first stop for TV and pay review written records. AW Dark, I mean it's doing, you know, around two hundred and fifty thousand views, give or take. That's down, you know from where they were in November and December. You know they were hitting four four hundred plus five, you know, close to five hundred thousand for aw Dark not long ago. I think people have disconnected because if you watch an episode and you think, oh, you know, something happened here, I'm glad I spent an hour watching this, and then you tune into Dynamite and it gets ignored. You start not thinking it doesn't matter. So yeah, it's it's weird. It just it's it seems like at some point Tony Knicam needs to kind of step back and go, let's just give a fresh look to everything we're doing and try to aim everything in the right direction.
Speaker 2: So, well, have they lost interest maybe already in Dark to some extent because of the new show they're going to be doing for TNT.
Speaker 1: Well, wouldn't that be all the more to making our relevant and build the brand up as important? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I don't know, Like I I mean, where i'd spend the money if I may a w I mean, if there's a difference maker they can hire, you know, yes, do that, uh with with if you have a sort of a in your mind a salary cap But I mean I would hire someone to just be your efficiency expert and look at everything you're doing and have the respect hopefully of the team with power the EVPs, et cetera, and go, hey, let's let's put in and hire another video producer, you know what, Jerry Borish type who is just gonna put the time into put together really good video packages on Dark in the road to because they're capable of it. We see it with Cody, but we don't and to a degree with Brandy. You see this this elbow grease being put in on some of these features, but not it's not happening with enough others. You know, we get Darby doing is sort of you know, handheld what does Darby do when he's not on TV? Stuff which is at you know, interesting window into his life, and those are fine. Those don't always make it out of dynamite either. So this is I enjoy a w This is a fan of the product they're putting out, pointing things out that I think one would make the product better and two that I think from an analyst standpoint, are are are symptoms of something that isn't where it should be four and a half months into their TV run and you know, a year and a year plus into them as a company.
Speaker 2: No, you're doing a disservice to do anything different. Oh, everything is wonderful and let's move on. I mean that that's I hear that on some show and I'm just like baffled by, Like, no, you know, naturally any show. I mean, there's it's rare you find a flawless pro wrestling show. I mean, I really like this week's n XT, but even that, like, okay, maybe the the non title cruiserweight match went a little longer than it needed to. But I mean, there's just a little too much of everything's wonderful because as you said, they're in that honeymoon phase with some people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh, And I was, you know, picking on on AW for some of the you know, nonsense stuff, even just you know, I noticing that WWB does better than AW by watching a double you you know, there's just there's there's things, and it makes the product sometimes more sterile and predictable, but in other ways it makes the product seem more professional and and smooth.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Even the way Britt Baker turned her back in air, the referee in brit Baker turned their back at an awkward angle so she could be attacked by from behind or not Brit who is her opponent, so Brick could attack her from behindak he thank you, yes and and uh. The referee raised her hand and they were standing at an awkward angle so that Brick could attack them sideways and not see it coming. It's like you'll never see another hatch on AW where the rest are celebrate by looking at a forty five degree angle away from the hard camera. But they did it because they didn't think to have Britt actually attack him from opposite the hard camera from behind, and so you see, you know, and whatever Kenny was doing when he set up however many spots he did in last night's match, he's like, here's my hand, here's my hand, here's my foot. Now now kick me on the thigh. Like there's a lot of things where if you're just objectively looking at it, that stuff doesn't happen on double w W product because somebody backstage, including Vince, is gonna yell at them, or Triple H and NX he's gonna yell at him, or Terry Taylor or whomever, gonna go that didn't look good, stop doing that. And nobody's doing that in AW. I feel like there's this bubble insulation to honest criticism because people are buying their own press.
Speaker 3: Yeah well said, yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, as far as the lashing angle goes, I thought it worked really well. It was it a little self indulgent, a little over the top. That's Cody, you know, And I actually think you can say, you know, that's a little too much, but I think it works for Cody, and it's reflective. It is symptomatic of how seriously he takes himself and I'm for that as long as there's some introspection and you know, a willingness to listen to some critiques or criticism. But I think when Cody's out there, it's a major leagu product, and I think it's a result of him being in WWE, frankly for a long time and seeing how it works. And Jericho's segments are really good because he's he's been around long enough to see how this works on a major league level and the other guys haven't been And I think sometimes that shows.
Speaker 3: I think it does. Yeah, I do think.
Speaker 2: I mean I laugh every time he makes his entrance because it is key compared to some of the others, and it's just so over the top. But he's a top guy and you know, if someone's going to have that entrance, it should be him. But it still does crack me up. But the idea of that being self indulgent. If anyone's really critiquing this too much, I just say, go back and look at the crowd. When is the last time you've seen a live crowd not just on the main floor for the first couple of rows, but for a twenty minute angle. People like with good seats and you know, off the first level standing. I mean people were standing throughout that segment. They were into this, and I think that speaks volumes about it. I thought it was really well done. Yeah, I mean there's there's.
Speaker 3: Things I would tweak about it.
Speaker 2: I think they should have done a better job of communicating in advance that it's not a gimme that this match happens, because I had that feeling washing it, you know, going in, like, Okay, Cody's going to take his ten lashes. They were telling the story that Cody's got to get through this in order to get that match, but I never really felt like they told that story in advance.
Speaker 3: They kind of told it as it was happening.
Speaker 1: No, that's a good point because there's a point where Mgf's like, you know, give me your belt. I don't want to waste mine on you, and everyone at home is going, why would Cody listen to this jerk? Tell MGF take off your own damn belt. But he can't because as MGF yelled him, do you want this match or not? And he yelled that as Cody was taking the belt off. But it would have been you know, maybe slightly better for Cody to hesitate, and then MGFF to say do you want this match? And then Cody kind of resigns himself to having to do what MGF says, and then you're right. The announcers in the storyline and MGF shouting at him is do you want this match or not? He had to take all ten lashes for the match to happen, and they could have done a better.
Speaker 3: Job of that.
Speaker 1: I think that's actually the best critique of how the angle was built up and executed is just be a little more clear of that.
Speaker 3: But they really did leave me looking forward to the match, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just it's the guy took ten severe lashes and he's taking him from a really really strong heel. So I mean, and Cody is as over as anyone with that audience. Yeah, I mean, how do you not get into this? I think they did a hell of a job of building this up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I'm Kelly Wells, host of p WT Talks NXT, the longest running NXT podcast Anywhere. Join me along with Nate Lindberg, Bruce Lee, Hazelwood, and special guests live every Tuesday night, just minutes after NXT, where we cover the good, the bad and the ugly on the way to becoming a star in WWE. Check us out live on YouTube or stream later wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Moxley Jericho also a really good grade. I mean I just saying one one annoyance in this. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chris Jericho as good as he's been. So we see his his sidekick Santana gets stabbed in the eye with car keys, and Jericho goes cutesy on it and says, who would do this? That's something that you're going to get laughs with and that I didn't when you're sitting when a guy's sitting there selling that his eye may have been gouged out. I just didn't think that was the time for Jericho to get all cute with it, you know, being hypocritical, because he did the same thing to mox Ley and so he says, who would do this? I didn't care for that. That did irk me watching it. And it's too bad because I've like, damn near everything Jericho has done in a w so far.
Speaker 1: Well, i'd like to hear the announcers just rebut retort, hey, you you who are you to say that? And then it becomes less cute and more. The babyface anouncer calls out Jericho on try to gaslight people with an alternate reality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I don't think he should have went there. I mean, just.
Speaker 2: Counter it went against the tone of that angle, and I didn't care for it for that reason. But I did like the promo that Santana delivered. It's kind of funny just kind of seeing some of the reactions today from people that are so surprised that he cut a good promo. It wasn't even like one of his best promos. He was on you when he was given the mic. An impact wrestling wasn't often, but boy, toward the end there and they were getting the mic more. He was on fire. And Ortiz is a good talker too, and I don't think people realize that. And that's something you know, I've been saying since they signed, like, I don't want to see these guys as henchmen. They can speak for themselves. Yes, con ended a lot of talking, but they can both talk. And so I thought that was a good promo. But if people were impressed by that, sit tight, I mean, you're gonna be a lot more impressed when this guy really has something he could sink his teeth into.
Speaker 1: Early on with AW I think one of the defenses for not letting people show everything they could do we're featuring them was well, hey, we're in this for the long haul. You know, we got to save some things. And I was thinking, oh, you know, they're saving Kenny's signature singles, matches and aren't just walking brawls for you know, at some point, they're saving really introducing the bucks to a national audience and what they're all about. At another stage, and sent Ortiz, You're like, well, maybe they're saving that. There's a time to do it. It's not now, but it'll come, and enough time has gone by where you're I'm starting to wonder are they saving stuff or is it just not crossing their mind that they haven't done this yet and it would be a good idea to do it, you know, in terms of not to be not to get on a Kenny discussion, but you know, have Kenny Omega have two or three matches. So these people who I hear from often who are like, I heard how great Kenny was. Never watched his new Japan stuff, just didn't But now he's on a weekly national cable series with a bunch of English speaking promos in a format that I'm more used to, and I'm absolutely willing to buy all in on this. I don't get him. I haven't seen what he does yet, and so, you know, and then sent ten ortis, let's kind of lead into that is their reputation and their body of work is great, and they're just standing in the background. They are, you know, the new version of Rowan and Harper standing behind bray Wyatt, not getting really any time to, you know, for a harp of to show what he can do, and he's being able to utilize. At some point it's not well, we're saving it for when it matters. At some point you start to worry do they even know what they have or are they too preoccupied with certain things, including themselves and not putting the time and effort into letting these other guys showcase what they can do. And it is nice to see the beginning of that now with last night's show with senten on.
Speaker 2: RTIs definitely you know, I think I can get it with them. I think people know, Hey, they're really good wrestlers. They have these really good matches with the pinting On and Phoenix and all of that. This isn't These guys were all over WWE television. How did you miss this? They did some promos on Impact and I watch it. I don't know how many other people are actually watching it, and so I can see that one got to slipping through the crack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, I think they're doing a nice job setting up the top handful of matches at Revolutions.
Speaker 2: So and by the way, hopefully we'll get that Kenny match now that they've announced the Ironman match, the pack exactly we need to see that. I'm totally with the people who have just kind of been underwhelmed so far by him in aew and I've seen his work in Japan. He's better than this, and we just were waiting for that match, and quite frankly, the first time they had it was underwhelming, and I know they weren't happy with it. They ended up kind of running out of time. So we're still waiting for that real standout match. And I'm hoping with this being framed as a thirty minute Iron Man match, that's what they have in mind.
Speaker 3: I just do.
Speaker 1: Since they sat down with a twenty week chart and said, all right, here's our you know, top six acts, and here's how we're going to make sure that by the time we get to you know, the third, fourth, fifth month, after twenty weeks of programming, that these are all stars because we've deliberately plotted out how we're going to feature them and get them in shine a spotlight on their strengths. And that's just I'm sorry, but pointing a camera at the ring and having the young bucks go out there and do dives and kicks is going to absolutely satisfy a big part of the fan base, but it is absolutely not enough to bring in the maximum possible fan base for that for that team and what they can do. And Kenny, I mean, what do you point to with him as the signature usage of television to get him over as a start to this new audience of a million people? And there's over a million people watching once you add seven day viewership here. That's a lot of people who never watch Kenny in New Japan. And what have they done other than kind of you know, ex caliber saying oh, you know, the regardless of grad he was the rest of the year a couple of years ago, people want to see it. So I just that's it. Justsppoint at AWS. I just don't think they sat down and really plot it out. I think they're just kind of there's a sense of I hear about this long term planning, and I think there's some long term planning with storylines, but not the marketing of the acts and doing so in a sophisticated way with you know, like even the last about on NXT, the finn Baller Johnny Arganda segment, the split screen interview, you gotta find I don't think I should say you gotta, but I think it helps you if you shake up the ways that you present, how your talent talks to each other in front of a match. And NXT has all these different ways in W two, and all kinds of companies have, but there's all these different ways to do it, and I just don't sense there's that visionary in AW who's really excited about that and putting this polished product out every week. I think there's a sense of, you know, we're gonna make this, as Cody said, a two hour party in the ring and aim the camera at the ring, and some weeks are better than others, but there's not enough, as I say, kind of elbow grease to add kind of pizaz and shake up the way the wrestlers are presented, and you know, like a little bit of Darby Allen with a flame thrower. That's sort of what I mean is just show us who these people are a little bit more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can, for the love of a guy, can the best Friends do something beyond Hey? They hugg wants a match and they're just one example of just how thin some of the character development's been. And they've been doing that since Ring of Honor. They've been doing it since before Ring of Honor and nothing has changed. And you know they're maybe they're not going to be, you know, the faces of your company, but they should still have and they're just one example. There should be more depth than that when it comes to their characters.
Speaker 1: Chuck Taylor's got a great Twitter feed, He's got a personality and you have to read into his body language walking to the ring to have any clue what he's all about. Or you can watch you know, the Road to Special and find out you know about his history a little bit. But you shouldn't have to, right is that the thing? You know? You shouldn't have to On the NXT front, what did you, Well, I don't want to some people like you're bearing the lead on the flag ship alveteen dreamas back. What'd you think of his return last night?
Speaker 3: I liked it.
Speaker 2: I thought it was energetic, you know, a little bit alread he's beating up four guys at once, but so be it, you know it was I thought it came off well. I was thinking killer Cross maybe when they started teasing it lest lat week and then and Jake Burnett pointed out, like no with the three and the glasses anywhere, like ah, So I did kind of figure, you know, thanks to Jake, I kind of had an idea of where this was going. So I wasn't surprised by it, but I thought it was well done. I had the crowd seemed to like it. You know, he was kind of all over the place, but it was a high energy return for the Albertine Dream.
Speaker 1: Anywhere worth going is worth going in good boots. Find your perfect pair with Takova's. There's a style for every style. Takovis crafts quality Western boots for everyone from generational ranchers and lifelong cowboys to first time boot buyers. Born in Texas in twenty fifteen, to Covis makes it easy for anyone to find their perfect boot. Everyone at Takovia's boots are handcrafted with over two hundred meticulous steps for broken in comfort right out of the box. Whether it's a long day or a big night, your Tacovas are built to last and impress. That's why Esquire loves them and says there's a reason we keep coming back to Takova's. If you ever wondered if you can pull off boots with your personal style. With Takovias, there's a style for every style. You might be more Sean Michaels, you might be more Dusty Rhodes. Maybe you're brock Lesnar or Cowboy James Storm. Maybe you see yourselves more Hangman Page or maybe the natural dustin Rhads. Tacovis has a style for you. Plus, with Tacovia's best in the West guarantee, you'll get free returns in exchanges for thirty days right now. Get ten percent off at to covis dot com slash wade when you sign up for email in texts that's ten percent off at tacovis dot com slash Wade. That's t E c o v as dot com slash Wade see the site for details. To Covis, point your toes West. When we talk about NXT's ratings compared to AW in September, we were talking about velveteen Dream being a significant player who would factor in, and he hasn't yet and now he's back. Is he somebody who when we Because I think the AW star power at the top has been stronger than NXT's in a kind of an objective way. If you're not already super invested in Tomaso Champa or Cargano, even when you had Finn Ballard to the mix, I think the AW stars and part of it is the setting and the novelty of the new company. But Cody and Jericho and Moxie, I just think their top guys this far in have seemed like bigger stars, and now NXT is closing that gap. You know, Charlotte's sort of a paying a visit. We'll see how how long that is. But Finn Ballard being there and now having velveteen Dream back, I mean, do you agree with that premise, Jason? That aew to the general public who's deciding between two brands, especially if they're WWB loyalists or laps fans to a degree, looks at AW Dynamite and sees Jericho and Moxley and Cody perhaps in that order, and says those are bigger stars than NXT's top stars of Adam cole Or collectively Undisputed Era and Tomasso Champa, Johnny Garcano, even Finn Balor and now velveteen Dream coming on the scene. I just think if you look at the top three, four X and AW, it probably has an advantage.
Speaker 2: In terms of the general public perception probably and I think a really big advantage that it has is those guys are there's that cool.
Speaker 3: Factor with that younger demographic that.
Speaker 2: Those guys, Kenny Omega, the young bucks that those guys have, that they've managed to tap into that younger demographic that NXT just for whatever reason, hasn't quite clicked with. I've talked about this a little bit, my theory on it in part. I mean, there's it's not just any one reason, but I think some of it is every generation kind of wants their own thing and wrestling. You don't really get it with companies per se, because you know, I mean, there's not that many that come and go at least on a national stage. But you see it with wrestlers, you see it with you. If your dad was a big Stone Cold Steve Austin fan, you might appreciate him, but you're gonna want your own guy that kind of thing, and I think AW has some of that going for them where they don't.
Speaker 3: NXT.
Speaker 2: It would be reaching this same audience if there was no such thing as AEW, because that would become their thing. And I think it was for a lot of people. But now that AW exists, it's new. I think people appreciate that. I think they like seeing something start in the beginning that they can call their own that isn't a Vince mcman run company.
Speaker 1: I think that NXT and AW Beach have a cool factor. NXT is handcuffed a little bit by being under the WWE corporate umbrella, but the perception of Triple H and Company having an independence, and frankly Jericho's pushing fifty, Cody's in his mid thirties, Moxley's had a really nice five plus year run on top. You look at NXT, velveteen Dream, Tomaso Champa, Keith Lee, Matt Riddle, Adam Cole, just Undisputter. In general, that's actually kind of more the if you want your own generation of wrestlers, you can make the case NXT has room to grow in that demographic because those are actually wrestlers who haven't made evented WrestleManias in wwepay Produce before, whereas you know, aw IS is built around at least two guys who have in Jericho and Moxley, with with certainly Cody being in that mix two and Pop being an X Doo Twoe guy. So I mean, I think you can make a case either way, which is why it's not a complete slam dunk. I mean, in the male eighteen to thirty four demo last night, n XT to a point one eight aew one point twenty nine. That's not a two to one or three to one margin. And the lead isn't that much better when you add the thirty five to forty nine year olds, or the lead's not that much different point five zero to point three zero. So there's actually a slightly bigger lead for a w among the thirty five to forty nine year old males than there is among eighteen to thirty four, And I think that is because of the age of Jericho when Moxley and Cody, so they have a cool factor in youth with Samy Gavara and Darby Allen and the Young Bucks for that matter.
Speaker 3: Jurassic Express, Orange Cassidy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, so for everyone you throw out from NXT, I think you can go deeper on the AEW card and say, you know, they still they have that same upsick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, I Mike, I guess kind of the point I'm getting at is it's not a clear cut advantage in both ways. There's just differences between the two of them. But if both shows just go forward with what they have, they're not Neither roster looks like it's in risk of being stale in the next year or two. I think aw's perception of pushing their top guys better than WWE did and Jericho when Moxley and Cody are in a better position than they were elsewhere, and NXT just is a really really well put together, well booked show with guys in their prime or entering their prime. So it is a fun matchup in that way. And both shows ratings went up last night, you know, nine hundred and twenty eight thousand, AW up one hundred thousand from the week before in live and same day viewership, and then NXT up from seven hundred twelve to seven seventy, although that seven seventy is tied with two weeks ago and the nine twenty eight is below where AAW was three weeks ago, so it's not like this big boom, but there was a decline for a couple of weeks, and both shows have rebounded in part with obviously NXT pushing Charlotte showing up and AW. What do you think is it attributes to dropping for four weeks in a row at the beginning of the year and then actually five weeks in a row they dropped. They went from nine to sixty seven to nine forty seven to ninety one to eight seventy one to twenty eight. I look at those numbers, it's a little concerning if I'm AAW. They rebounded a little bit or quite a bit in the three day delayed viewership, so that can kind of dampen some of the concern But now a good rebound in live viewership, to me, that's encouraging. What do you think about Is there something about last night show that did that? Was it the ten lashes? Was that the selling point?
Speaker 3: I think people love a good public whippen. I don't even know who else this up too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I ended up.
Speaker 2: I haven't been able to listen to h I know Jake was on the show with you, and I was only able to listen to a portion of it before Jake and I started talking today, so I don't know if he said this on here.
Speaker 3: He labeled it the Passion of the Cody phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, so yeah, I'm curious. I will look at minute by minutes when those become available and see if there was kind of a crescendo at the end. Not that NXT did and deliver a big main event with a nice payoff as we're talking about with Felvetein Dream at the end, but yeah, uhing interesting numbers, And I think for people who just want to see both shows succeed on Wednesday and the networks to be happy. Because as much as we spent a lot of time talking about the business side and business strategies and distribution models for network content and pay per views, I think in the immediate what people listening to us mostly care about is is there good wrestling that they can watch as a pastime on Monday Wednesday And Fridays, and you know tuesdays to a degree too, And I think viewership not dropping another week in a row, but actually going up significantly shows nobody. We're seeing a longer set of data now that makes even a five week downward trend like AW had seem less alarming, especially when you get the plus three numbers and you realize even if people don't watch it live, they tend to catch up within a few days.
Speaker 9: On Chris Maitland and I'm Justin McClelland we host Wrestling Coast to Coast, where we scour the wrestling scene to find the best wrestling from the smallest places.
Speaker 10: There are thousands of matches happening every week, so Wrestling Coast to Coast is here to discover the men and women who could be big time stars in a few years.
Speaker 9: There are plenty of podcasts to voters at w W and AW, but what's happening in the armories and gymnasiums local wrestling hotspots around the country.
Speaker 10: We can't wait to help you find the true hidden gyms of the wrestling world. Plus, you can hear Chris complain about bad referees.
Speaker 9: And justin bemoaning Dog pole Fins.
Speaker 10: Don't forget my feudal search to see a Blue Thunderbomb win a match.
Speaker 1: How can I like?
Speaker 9: The name says we cover the hottest independent promotions from morale the country, so just as Prestige Action, West Coast, Pro Revolver and Beyond Wrestling.
Speaker 10: Actually, Chris, I think we stick pretty much to wrestling.
Speaker 1: No, I mean Beyond Wrestling out of Worcester. Oh right.
Speaker 9: Our show is part of the PW Torch Daily Cast lineup and typically drops on Thursdays, so it's PW Torch in your podcast app. Has subscribed to the PW Torch Daily Cast or stream our shows directly from PW touch dot com. Find full details on the PW Torchdailycast lineup at PW touchdailycast dot com.
Speaker 2: How frustrated do you think Triple H, Shawn Michaels and the Folks are an NXT because I mean, I'm watching that show and almost we get a weekly there. It's very difficult for me to find misses in my weekly hit list. It's a very crisp, well booked show with really good wrestling, and they've given away it seems like, you know, they're not giving away tons of that're giving away enough and they're still behind.
Speaker 1: I think the arena setting is really interesting. If aw went on the road for six weeks and they just they just called it, I'm sorry, did I say, yeah, nxtus on the road for six weeks. If they went on the road and they just said, it's a spring tour. We're hitting you know, six of our favorite you know smart, we're hitting six more. I don't say favorite, you know we're hitting six markets. Uh, We're gonna go on the road for six weeks. But put an end date on it so that you can say face if you don't sell tickets or it takes a lot of papering, But just do a six week thing in March or April. And I wonder what would happen to viewership. You can't do it in one week because people won't know it's coming. It won't matter in two weeks, not enough data. But if you did a six week run. I mean, I was watching you know, Matt Riddle and and uh Pete done last night, and I'm just like, if they were in front of six thousand people instead of six hundred people. You don't give or take in a big arena of versus this awesome in of its setting, you know. And I really like Full Sale, but I liked it on deu B Network as a developmental brand, and it looks just good enough where it's not like a weekly thing for me to you know, it doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the show in a significant way watching on USA, but it's a factor when you imagine people flipping around or sampling the products. Aw even in Huntsville, where they weren't shy about showing the upper deck was empty in certain parts of the building, it just feels bigger. And therefore it's not so much how big the building feels, but how big the wrestlers feel in a smaller venue versus a bigger venue. And I just think it's hard to create a star out of Keith Lee, Tomaso Champa and Riddle and done on what they're doing. I think it's hard to turn them into stars in front of hundreds of people instead of thousands of people.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do think that's a fact. I love the idea of the Spring tour. I think that's great. I think that is exactly the way they should for himness. So, like you say, so you can say face if it doesn't work out out. They're also you know, I mean as much as Triple As just tried to fight this, they're still known to people as developmental brand. Does that play a part that it's somewhat minor league for WWE if you will, as good as it is. And also the notion that, okay, don't get you attached because some of these people are probably going to be called up, even if that's not really I mean, you're going to have movements that that's to be expected, and I think the rules have kind of changed, but it doesn't mean that everyman out there knows this and they're just wondering, Okay, if I get attached to velove a team dream, you know, Grady, He's going to be gone up on the main roster and then I'll just see him on Monday nights or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's I think there It is a collage of factors that leads to different perceptions of n XT compare because I mean, I even have thought, what if they just called it WWE at XT instead of NXT on USA.
Speaker 2: Well, they do label it that way, by the way, if you don't know, they do label it that way now on the like the DirecTV on screen guide. Yeah, because I know there was a week where all of a sudden everybody kind of had to if you had it set up to record weekly and to change that.
Speaker 1: So my my one, what I wonder is did that hurt? And I know it's baffling the people who listen to wrestling podcasts, although you got to know somebody, I mean, everybody knows people aren't is into wrestling and into it enough to listen to podcasts like this, and shame on them those people. But they're people who like to watch for a couple hours a week because they want to see Roman Reigns, or they want to see New Day, or they want to see Daniel Bryan, or they want to see the Fiend or whoever. But it's it's it's about certain stars, and it's about the big arena and it feels like a big deal, and you know, it's it's like going to the arena concert instead of the hotter band that's at the smaller venue. You know, you can you can judge people for having you know, bad taste or going with the mainstream corporate branding, but there's a reason those places fill buildings so I wonder if ending at WWE and doing a little bit more not not taking away triple H in company's autonomy, but the branding itself, blending it a little more, if that went to work ten xc's favor, there's some downside that offsets it because NXT has kind of a niche separate cool factor that comes from not being as much a part of the corporate branding. So I don't know, Jason, but you know, I mean, it's good that they're doing that for like search returns, you know, on on you know the way people search for programs now right, But if they overtly labeled it and had the w B logo and all that. I remember Kevin Dunne was in Paul Hayman. I think Paul Hayman and Kevin dun kind of but it heads on this with ECW. Should that to be logo, that stamp be in the corner of the screen during ECW on on Sci Fi? Or should it really seem like its own brand?
Speaker 3: That was an issue. I do remember that being a factor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, go.
Speaker 2: Ahead, Well, I was gonna say this is kind of an an out there. Well, I'm curious to know you think not that this is going to be a big factor for everyone, but could it be for some people that well, you know, I'm talking about how perfect and polished the NXT product can feel at times. Is there something about aew where you don't feel like you know what you're gonna get and you are kind of tuning in to see, are they gonna make a mistake here, they're gonna make a mistake, what's gonna be good?
Speaker 3: What's gonna be bad?
Speaker 2: Where it's more of a there's a little bit more of an event feel to it, where you don't want to miss it because it's Yeah, I mean, I don't think they should like go out of their way to make it that way. Obviously, they should try to present the best product they can. But I mean, could that be a little bit even without people thinking about that, could that be something in their minds that they're tuning in to c like, all right, the dark Order isn't working, We'll get better this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, I think there is a lot. I won't call it the tune in for the train wreck, because I think that would be overstating it. Although we hear from people who but feel like way, I think those people aren't watching, but the idea of that, yeah, this is and that's been my case too. Why you know, I thought I was going to kind of rotate post shows with Awn NXT. And I mean there's variety of reasons I'm not doing it that I won't get in too, but the major factor is I just think there's more to talk about with AW because you're less sure of what they're less your foot in and what they're doing, and there's more variance. It's a new product NXT. I enjoy people who listen to me talk about it. The last couple of years. No, it was my favorite show to watch on a weekly basis, and takeovers are my favorite, like kind of live special events. It just it checked enough boxes for me to be a product that it didn't have as many irritating things, a little nitpicky stuff that bothers me more than most people. But I will defend that it's important and I will also depend it argue it's symptomatic of things that are disrupted behind the scenes. We don't notice, you know, the dirty the dirty dining room might be indicative of a dirty kitchen and you might get sick eating there. And when you have sloppy stuff on there. There's probably some things that are missing out on behind the scenes that would make the product better. So that is an issue with AW but that gives someone like me more to talk about with it because the high end Jake tit so this dude, the highs are higher, the thowse are lower. NXT is thoroughly enjoyable. I never dread watching the show. I'm always excited to watch it start to finish. But it's not experimental. It is it knows what it is, and the people who make the air almost entirely are polished, and even though it's developmental, they're polished in ways that you can cover up for some of the greenness of some of the people who are younger. And there's less ConA Reeves now than there used to be on the weekly TV show. You know, they are not putting people out there to sink or swim. They're putting people out there they know that can swim. So it just it's a more paulished show. And that's so it's fascinating, but it does give us I mean, I still talk about NXT later in the week on my various podcasts, but in terms of Night of show discussion. Aw is just there's always something I want to see next week that I think is worth analyzing and talking about. That's more newsworthy. Yeah yeah, yeah. So speaking of NXT, what do you think of what they did with Charlotte.
Speaker 2: I like that segment quite a bit. I mentioned in my hit list. I think this was as good for her as it was for them, just to you know, if you're watching all WWE content, at least you know the main shows. She's so stale on Rod's Mackdown. It's not entirely her faults. A lot of it is the way she's booked. They treat her like a star. They book her like to be a star, but she's not a champion, and the only feuds they care about for the women involve titles, so she has no one to feud with, and it's just tiresome. And she's fallen into this trap of being very repetitive in the promos with the clean material. So seeing her in the ring with two very fresh potential opponents who are both very over really jumped out. It helped her, it helped them. It was just good all around.
Speaker 1: We're about to go to a commercial break. Whyles's of the commercial breaks when you can go vip and experience our shows with the ads and plugs removed. Pw torchs dot com slash go viip. That's pw torch dot com slash go vip for full details, or go to Patreon Patreon dot com slash pw Torch. VIP rate start as low as four dollars in ninety nine cents to remove the ads and plugs through Patreon. Full VIP membership starts at nine dollars in ninety nine cents to treat yourself to a streamlined, ad unplug free listening experience with a VIP or Patreon membership. Bianca Belair is a star too, in part because she just presents herself like no matter what's going on, Like even when she got kind of pushed out of in between Charlotte and bel Air and she just stole the scene, like, I can't believe you people just did that to me. And then she's dancing in the background and laughing and creating this whole uproar. And yet it didn't feel like she was stealing the scene in a way that was disruptive, but it was a I can't help myself, but I'm self aware of it that I should be the star of the moment. And then she knew when to dial it back and let let the shift go back to Charlotte and bel Air facing off, and so the dynamic with those three was was really interesting. I think the segment was better for that, in the dynamic of bel Air and ree Rip leaving against each other but also sort of team at XT or twenty twenty n XT versus the person coming back to thinking she's a big deal. I thought there were a lot of things that play there, and it did. It gave Charlotte more to work with and more to play off of, and she seemed less robotic and what she did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was my favorite Charlotte segment in a long I can't even tell you the last time that I've really been into something. Even when she was teaming with Becky in the whole TLC thing, it's like, okay, whatever. So I really like that Bianca I think is really strong. This may seem like a nitpick. I like it the first I like it probably the first handful of times I saw her do the entrance, and now it feels like a ridiculously choreographed WWE entrance.
Speaker 3: I'd like to see them tone down on that a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough, you know like when bel Air though says you standing here, but you don't even go here like that's and then Charlotte come back, this is a conversation for champions, so stand over there and fix your braid. And then you have the crowd, you know, going ooh a, you know, like reacting to everything that. That was a fun segment. That was a fun segment, and then you know they loaded oh yeah, and then they loaded up the main event. I mean, I think they probably finished strong too. I don't think a lot of nxtvs are like I got to go check out the lashing. I think they delivered you know, a really good uh you know, close to the show with the final two segments.
Speaker 2: Well and you know, the overrun was back and so I didn't check the exact time to see when velveteen Dream showed up, but you know.
Speaker 3: It had to be during the over bah. Yeah. Sure at least got a glimpse of that if they were flipping over.
Speaker 1: Good good point. Yeah, and he looks good. He's a star, he I mean he NXT has people who believe their stars, whether they are or not. I mean, and I think in most cases they are. You know, Keith Lee is Bianca bell Air is velveteen dream is they they carry themselves like rising stars who deserve to have your attention. And that's that's half the battle. That's half the battle sometimes.
Speaker 3: So and how good does that take over lineup? Look?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yes, oh I know it's it's it's a fun show and I'm glad it's got it. It just gets the attention that weekend.
Speaker 2: My only concern and it's just a minor one. Yeah, we're close to wrestlemany A weekend. Is this going to be one of those shows where you know, takeovers usually get clean finishes? And could this be more of a set up show? Because you know, if you're looking ahead to Wrestle many A weekend, you're gonna have to create a lot of fresh matchups and different things. And how do you know if you're just gonna give clean finishes, you can do some, you can do a rematcher two. But I do wonder if we may get you disappointing finish here or there on that show to set up the need for a rematch.
Speaker 1: I'm counting. I think we have like seven weeks in between, though, so I think that's enough time to get I know what you're saying, but I mean there's enough time to give finishes and have it seem like a big show, and then you know, hit the reset on a couple things, introduce a couple of things, and rev up things that that they that they you know, might appeared they finished but didn't based on you know, being able to book every week and tell stories. If it was like four weeks, I'd be more worried. Sure, Yeah, but yeah, that's a uh, that's a nice lineup. I mean, Dakota, Kaya, Tigu and Knox. There's such a backstory there. I think they extinguished it a little bit, but hopefully they can rev that. Yes, Yes, and then Keith Lee died. Jakovic. I thought that was, you know, just like the respectful you know, the respectful conversation that stared down two peers, two rivals and when that bell rings, we're gonna go at it. And I like that not everything has to be this this you know, vile, bloody grudge, and they have plenty of them in NXT, but it's nice to have something a little different than that. And this will be a chance for them. I mean, I feel like I've seen them wrestle enough that I was actually you know, I was I'd mixed feelings about them doing it again, but having a chance to have no commercials, uh, plenty of time to tell their story. This can be the cap to their feud. And I think there's such a chemistry between them and the goal is to get both eyes over so in front of a takeover audience. I think it's it's nice that they'll have that chance.
Speaker 2: I agree, Yeah, I've I've been hoping they would get that opportunity. It's good to see them get that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then broserwaits on disputed arificial Riley that's great. Colon Tampa, Wait, Colon Chava is going to be great ballor Gargana's going to be great. Ripley bel Air should be really good. And I mean, I want to go back to a couple those matches. But Ripley is absolutely the breakout star of the last you know, six months or whatever. I mean, she just it's she just has that something special where I actually think she's taken some of the conversation away from SHANEA. Basler going to the main roster and what will that mean because Ripley basically already is you know, she's involved in a storyline that is and involved with Charlotte. Ripley is kind of I mean, as exciting as it is, she I think she's taken some of the shine off of the excitement of what's next for shanea baseil or Shane is going to be fine. But in the moment right now, Ripley has leaffrogged her in terms of conversation piece.
Speaker 3: And so what better time than to send up Shanna?
Speaker 2: You know they now they held off forever, they have the replacement, and it's a different you know, she's a baby face, so it's different, but they have that, you know, that face of the women's division, and it's a strong one, certainly stronger than what we're getting on SmackDown for instance.
Speaker 1: Yes, yep, okay, so it's gonna say, uh what I left there is uh oh yeah, the the browerways. I want to ask about Matt Ryl and Pete Donne in their chemistry and their promo, did Riddle get a little too cute? And and I don't even know z zany is not the word d x or zany And I hate Zanny. I don't know a little too just informal or or did it totally work it? Because I was watching that and I was like, I think it's sort of like the lashing segment, like is this too self indulgence? Going too long? And by the end I was like that worked. And with Riddle and done, I was sort of like, is this getting too cute? And then by the end I was like, that worked.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 1: My concern that I threw to you is it worked, But does it in any way to find down Matt Riddle to have him be so goofy?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. It's not the time for him to be one.
Speaker 2: I think what you saw was, you know, it was probably written for him, but it really tapped into Matt Riddle and his personality, and I just thought it was fun.
Speaker 1: I mean that that was.
Speaker 2: You see attempts at humor like that and not just like that, but I mean the attempts of at humor you get on the main roster just fall flat on their face.
Speaker 3: Where this just worked so well.
Speaker 2: Live crowd was into it, had a lot of fun with it, and yeah, just I think we got kind of a chance to see Matt Riddle's quirky personality. And then when once he I mean he's going for the tag titles. That's nice, but they just won the Dusty Classic. They should be kind of in silly, feel good mode. And then when the time comes for him to either go after the NXT Championship or hell even fewed with that Pete Dunn have done turns on him or something like that, then he can kind of turn on the more serious Matt Riddle. I don't think it's a bad thing to show multiple sides of his personality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I think that is fair. I bring it up because it's I think a valid question. I wouldn't call it a serious concern because in a way, you just got to let Matt Riddle be Matt Riddle.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I wouldn't want to you.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't want to see another attempt at at a humor like, all right, we're onto something here where that becomes like the r Truth segment for n XT.
Speaker 3: But you know, for one night I thought it was fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 12: Are you a fan of AW looking to sit back, relax and listen to some like minded podcasters who share your passion?
Speaker 3: Do you want to be topped off the ledge?
Speaker 1: After a segment that has you wondering what the heck are they thinking?
Speaker 12: Do you want to join discussion on what AW is doing right and what they could do to improve, Then join me Joel and me Greg.
Speaker 11: For the All of the Conversation Club every Friday on the PW torch Live Cast. Fee search pw torch in your podcast app and subscribe to pw torch Daily Cast or streamer shows directly from pw torch dot com. Find full details on the PW torch Dailycast lineup at pw torchdailycast dot com.
Speaker 1: And NXT overall. Is there any like I'm trying to think of an example to give of something where they have some work to do or is this just them doing a good job knowing what they're doing? Like? Is there is you know, because there's areas of concern that I have with AW, and we talked about them. What comes to mind when I bring that up about NXT? What could they other than the arena setting? I guess, which you know is that's if that's a compliment to say this should be these rustlers would be playing in front of a bigger building.
Speaker 3: That's just it.
Speaker 2: I you know, that's why I say, I think I wondered at what level of frustration there is that they're not doing bigger numbers because this is just such a well booked promotion and just such a well booked television series. It's I mean, you know, nothing is flawless, but it's just so consistently strong. I can't point to you can I always say, well, you know, i'd like to see this person challenging with the title instead or something like that, But everything logical, the segments, it's rare now that you see they're just failing some time. I did feel like that a little bit with the Tyler Breeze Jordan Devlin match. I thought it was a good match. I don't know that it needed to go as long as it did, but even that, I mean, it still was very entertaining for what it was. And yeah, so I almost feel bad for, you know, the creative people in NXT because they are doing such a damn good job. And I just hope that Vince isn't being Vince and blowing a gasket because they're losing this battle to aw because I don't know what else they could be doing.
Speaker 1: Who are tell me the Heeled depth chart, I would say that that's that would be the number one conversation piece if you were to look at are they doing enough on the male side with that? Because you've got unisputed Era and then Finn Balor. Who's next, Famian Priest? Who am I forgetting?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have the list in front of me, but that was the name that popped into my head too. I don't know if we're forgetting someone yeah, but yeah, a Killian Dane, but he's pretty far down the list because he tends to lose, you know, more than he wins. Yeah, and that's I do wonder if that's there. They're setting things up as fun as Riddle and Done are together. I could see that being a short term thing and they I didn't Pete Done. It is gonna be a pleasant surprise for people who've only seen him on the us NXT as far as what kind of a heel he can be if they go in that direction. So I think he could be there, But yeah, I'm struggling to think of who else really fits in there, because yeah, they do seem babyface heavy.
Speaker 1: He just he looks like somebody who showed up at the pizza place super hungry and he sits down, looks at the menu and the services. I just like to let you know, we just ran out of mozzarella cheese.
Speaker 3: Like he just his arms are crossed. I'm grumpy.
Speaker 1: There's nothing that can that's nothing can scheer me up. And it is such a contrast with Riddle, and they're playing it for comedy, but there's they're also laying the foundation. These are very different people and it could go it could go wrong at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think it probably needs to now that you point out the lack of heel depth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so I would say that's that's the area. And again they book in a less traditional way because I mean they a Lee Leon Dominic are our faces. Champa and Gargano are faces, but there isn't a scent. There's a sense that anybody can find anybody at any time. You know, it's not as clear cut, but I think we're the most you know in you know Gargano right now, he's not a heel, but the fans are sort of like, where you are our guy. And now some people, at least at full sale, aren't so sure. And I'm curious what the crowd reaction in Portland is for Baler and Gargano. You know, throughout that match, you know it might not be a heel face matchup, even though you know we talk about aw trying to book Hangman Page as a heel and Kenny and the Bucks's faces. This could be a case where the fans end up tearing Baller and Boo and Gargano more because how they feel about Gargano oddly than just because Baler's a star and they love him. I'm curious about that. I don't know how that do you have a sense of that.
Speaker 2: That's you know, that's that's tough to predict, because I think you're right. I don't think Johnny, I've talked about this before. They kind of came in at a downtime for him when it comes to NXT in USA. So there's a lot of people who didn't get to live through the best of Gargana, and then you also have people who have seen it and are kind of like, Okay, but now what And maybe it is a heel run, but I hope it's not. It's a heel run that we're gonna turn Finn Balor. I think Balor needs to start healing on the fans he's such a He's a really good heel, but we're kind of missing that right now. He's heelish toward other wrestlers, but he seems to be content with the fans cheering him, and I'd like to see him just have no redeeming qualities.
Speaker 1: Going a little heavy on NXT Talk than normal for a couple of reasons, because I think it was a good, good news worthy show last night. And also we've, you know, since I've already done a couple hours on SmackDown and Raw and AEW, and so it's fun to get a little more in NXT. If you want even more NXT. By the way, p WT Talks NXT is our Thursday show drops late Wednesday night early Thursday morning with Kelly Walls and Eate Lindberg and Tons Stop and they talked. They talked every week for an hour and a half two hours apout NXT super in depth and so just search PW Torch on your podcast app to to grab that. And that is one of seven new shows a week. But the NXT show, if you're looking for that quick turnaround, in depth weekly discussion even longer than what Jason and are doing here, check that out. One of the things about last night show we haven't talked a lot about you just I think mentioned in passing is how long Jordan Devlin and Tyler Breese was. And I'm it was good, but I was kind of half expecting Devlin to like beat him in like a minute or two. Breese hasn't been featured much. I like Tyler, but when when when he and Fondaga were kind of doing their thing on NXT early on in the in the Wednesday battle, I was like, I'm not sure that's a good idea. You know, you don't want XT to seem like, you know, rests are featured who are just sort of you know, I think I just didn't think that was a great use of time to treat them as competitive competitive tag team as much as I'm a fan of aspects of what they do in the ring and his characters, and so they'd been away for a while and I thought, well, Breeze just going to be kind of like Eric Young and it went really long. Was that good or bad for Jordan Devlin? Or was the match good enough in his projection of his personality and his intensity and his moveset Was that more important than winning quickly against somebody that fans don't see as a top level guy.
Speaker 2: I don't know that it matters this early with him, And part of it is he's the cruiserweight champion and there's only so much appreciation for that title, so you would think it would help make him and I guess it does. You know, it helps him stand out a little bit. It was a good match, and I think people are going to remember that part of it, and so when he you know, whatever he does next, I think the follow up I think will be the key.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was strange.
Speaker 2: I didn't see the match going that way, but I also enjoyed it because I was happy to see Breeze do something other than that awful Breeze on Goo silliness. That would have been something that was an early source of multiple misses in my Hits and Misses section because it just was like, this doesn't fit in. Why are they doing this male stripper routine entrance at NXT and clowning around. I don't like this, But so it was kind of like we had the old Tyler Breeze back. But yeah, I mean, so they're trying to make at the same time, they're trying to make a statement that hey, you know, Tyler Brees can be taken serious. You're doing it with the guy who just won the Cruiserweight title, who doesn't make appearances on your NXT television show. So I don't know that that's really going to send that message either. So yeah, it was I enjoyed the match, but it was one of the I'd love to know the logic behind.
Speaker 3: Yeah, why did they go so damn long?
Speaker 1: I know, Yeah, I was just shocked when they kept going to commercial, coming back and oh it's still I was thinking this will be a time when when it ends during the commercial and they'll establish that can happen, and they just kept going, yeah, Jordan Devlin. I liked the line. I think it was Nigel who said, Jordan Devlin wants to defend this Cruiser White title and NXT UK, NXT and two A five live, the idea that he's a traveling champion and the fact that now they're finding guys who actually are shorter and this isn't meant as a dick, but they're shorter than Adam Cole and Kyler Riley. They're shorter than Finnbaler, guys who in another era would have been the cruiserweights. They're putting the title on guys who look like there would be smaller, smaller than the heavyweights in NXT. So to speak. Maybe I'm a little off on that. Maybe Jordan Devlo would stand next Kyler Riley and be a little taller, or Adam Adam Cole or something, but I don't think so, Like he comes across to me as someone who is a little bit shorter. Do you think I'm wrong on that?
Speaker 2: I know, I God, I don't think so. Yeah, Yeah, I think you're right because certainly established that right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like the idea of having the If you're gonna have the cruiserweight title, make sure it someone who's noticeably shorter or smaller than the top guys you're pushing in the heavyweight division, and then make sure they're really good and they have personality. And then the idea that yeah, it's a traveling champion floating around these three brands. You know that works for me. Give yourself a reason to look for to go into the mailbox each week with a PW Torch newsletter paper copy subscription details at PW torch dot com. Slash paper copy It's twelve pages every week packed with my TV reports, along with exclusive features such as my cover story on the top story of the week, our pay per view roundtable reviews from the Torch staff, exclusive feature length columns from Greg Parks, Rich Fan, Sean Radikin, Alan Coonahan and Zach Haydorn, Torch Talk transcripts, the latest news, and more. PW Torch dot Com slash Paper Copy take a break from screen time and settle in every week with a megadosa wrestling news and analysis with a Pro Wrestling Torch newsletter paper copy edition in the year twenty twenty two. You can get a full year of home delivery for just ninety nine dollars, or try us for an eight week trial subscription. PW Torch dot Com Slash Paper Copy.
Speaker 2: Will two of five live go away if they find if they do, shall you know, basically show off the network.
Speaker 1: You know, it's it's I'm glad you brought that up because going back to our original discussion, and there's so much going on today just in our Top Story of the show. But I think what Doughbe has discovered is there's not a lot of interest in like non essential programs to sustain a network. And again part of that is it's a different landscape now than six years ago, you know, with AEW doing what they're doing with NXT now on USA. Not to mention impact NWA Power aw Dark New Japan having even losing access more more excess access of that through their streaming networking on and on MLW I we shouldn't leave them out for sure, ROH and syndication and online. So it's just the idea of paying ten dollars a month so you can see two five live, that's just not gonna happen. But also, I mean they were excited about you know, Mick Foley in a reality series and Legends House and all that, and they've tried to do the ride a Law in the Table for three and all that, and it's just in the live podcasts, and then they did the Remember the Days of the Renee Young hosted raw pre show. There's so many things they've tried, and it doesn't seem to me anything has stuck where they believe. That's a difference maker, because I know you and I on the flagship when you were like, oh got it, Life's about to change, you know, Before the network launched and I remember having it on my laptop in the kitchen, watching the live stream of whatever they happened to put on the day it launch, and just keeping an eye on it. And that's not you know, that's not how it works anymore, Like I don't think people do that, And so.
Speaker 3: I don't remember the last time I've just turned that thing on, just have it on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's that's not I mean, I'm sure some people do, but I bet it's a tiny number. And so if you know when you say, well two of five live go away, now that NXT isn't on the network and with Takeover going on a Sunday night on its own weekend, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Is that worth reading into it all in terms of can we if we go the paper viato go in ESPN plus route, do we just have Takeovers on a standalone now that they're on USA and give it its own weekend and don't piggyback it necessarily not that they haven't done it before, but it hasn't been the norm. Is that a possibility? Like what will people miss on the network if everything goes away? Especially now when you have Corey Gray's and New Day doing podcasts, the idea of oh, the network gives me this access to wrestlers talking with each other about the business or each other, the novelty factor on a lot of that secondary programming, I just don't think as a difference maker to have or lose.
Speaker 2: No, I will miss the documentary type of stuff. I think they produce some very good documentaries, but it's I mean some of this what I do just work wise makes it difficult to even keep up on all of that. But I think a lot of fans are in that same boat. Unless you're just a WWE only type of fan, If you're trying to keep up on a lot of pro wrestling content from different companies, you just run out of time.
Speaker 3: And so I think that is a factor.
Speaker 2: So as much as I like some of those documentaries and things, Yeah, the big reason I felt the network was going to be a game changer for just what we do. I thought you'd see something like WWE backstage, but on a daily basis for multiple hours. And I think they're kind of doing that with the Bump now, which maybe you tell that they're doing this on YouTube instead of their own network, because then they talked about it that they talked about doing like a morning type of show or an afternoon news show, and it just never materialized. That's what I thought, we're gonna have to be keeping an eye on that sort of thing, and instead it's all just relegated to, you know, one hour show on Tuesday nights, which was what happened to Tuesday being the down night way.
Speaker 1: I know, I was supposed to be hig you had a breath between Raw and you know it used to be ross backdown, back to back. But oh, there'll be a deep breath between Raw and the Wednesday night craziness. And yeah, there's so much on Tuesday nights. You got to pick and choose what you do and also not get completely burned out by the time you know, Wednesday comes around. Right, But let's listen to us. We get all right, let's uh, let's turn the page to what's going on over on Monday night Raw. A little surprise, big picture that the ratings haven't moved in a good direction for the show, because I think it's continued to be a better show, a show that I think people who sample it would go, yeah, I like, I like what I'm seeing.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: What is that your feel to watching the show that you think maybe it should have gained some traction now. I mean it was down to a one point five to seven this week after hitting a one point six seven and one point sixty six the previous two weeks. We're in that post football season and WrestleMania season, and it seems post Rumble there's there's been a drop off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think it deserves better numbers because just based on quality, but it's when you have so much content, if you go through a slump, it's going to be tougher than ever to get people back because for some people, not everybody think you know that, we see the numbers, but for some people, Wednesday's become the new wrestling night, and you know, they they're getting their fixed there and they're not going to be as quick to go back to Raw. It's just, you know, some people are going to try to watch everything, but there are those fans that are going to be more selective and so it's going to take some time. Even though they don't have direct competition on Monday nights from another wrestling company's it kind of does remind me of back in the day when you know, Raw was clearly a better show than Nitro for so long, but Nitro was still winning that ratings battle. I just think people get out of the habit of watching Raw. Going back to watching a three hour show may feel like a chore, and especially when you start thinking about whatever made them give up on it in the first place, and just.
Speaker 3: You know, probably the really bad shows that they were delivering.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I just think it's natural that it's going to take some time to win people over and then let people, you know, just let that word of mouth start to build a little bit that hey, this is a better show.
Speaker 3: He may want to give it another look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So what what do you on a specific character development or feud standpoint?
Speaker 2: Like most about what Raw has done. Oh man, so now we're deep in the show. I mean, you're making me think about the Monday. I know, it's crazy on Thursday.
Speaker 1: How far far? Because you got Randy Orton and he's not really good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Randy had just been really strong.
Speaker 1: Just seeing rand just seeing Randy seemed to be engaged in something that interests him. He seemed so disinterested for so many years, not because he didn't want to be interested. He was the kid in class who was two years ahead on the math lesson and board. He wanted something I couldnot relate to that. He wanted something more what's the square root of for I don't know, Okay.
Speaker 3: Just yes, yes, good Jay, thank you.
Speaker 1: So he seemed like, just give me something, and I it seems like Paul Hayman's given him something and he seems more engaged. So to me, that like obviously that jumps out. But I'll throw candidates at you because you, I mean you were about to when I interrupted. You were about to say someone Drew McIntyre turning baby face.
Speaker 3: There's about damn time.
Speaker 1: Yes, yep, and uh. And I mean they've got the Ray Mysterio Andrade Lumberto now Angel Guards a thing going on, just you know, Ray in general as a character that that is in a good spot. And then you have you know, Becky and Charlotte has two standout characters, and you have Seth the Monday Night Messiah as his thing will leave aside lash Lee and Lana, I just don't want to talk about it this week, but I and I'm probably leaving and then brought you know, kind of brought Lesner and the story of what's going on with him. Although that guys, I guess relates to Drew McIntyre right now. Those are those jump out to me as the top things. I mean, I say this, it's an all star cast of wrestlers being utilized as good as I've seen collectively. Wwe utilize what they have to work with in a long time.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I'm enjoying Raw so much more these days. They're filling that time nicely, and you know, it's I know it's repetitive, but as much as they're filling that time, it is still three hours and they The reason I bring that up is because it's so difficult for them to just leave you going. Man, I wish there was more. I wish we could see this. I do think that still works against them, but yeah, I mean, it's just a much improved show. It's you know, it does give me faith that Vince McMahon is letting Paul Hayman have more creative freedom, whether he's dedicating his time to SmackDown or just signing off in rubber stamping what he's getting on Raw, because it's so much better.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Longing for some nostalgia or maybe you want to learn some wrestling history, don't miss the nineties Pass cast every Friday on the PW Towards Daily Cast Feed. Alex and Patrick will transport you thirty years into the past by taking you through the Torch issue from that very week. Follow news from the WWF and WCW and all the happenings from across the wrestling industry in real time as The Torch reported it thirty years ago. That's the nineties Pass cast every Friday on the PW Torch Daily Cast Feed.
Speaker 1: I mentioned earlier, I don't know that Drew is going to be a transformative babyface. Do you think I'm wrong in ruling in leaning towards ruling that out.
Speaker 2: I will not rule that out. I can't tell you're wrong either. It's I think he so much of it too. Is what does Vince picmahon think. Does Vince Bicman see him as a transformative baby face? Does he see him having that Roman range potential? Is he on board with this or is he just saying, Okay, Paul, go ahead, well we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: I think he's a yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's I don't see him necessarily being stone cold John Cena that.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, you know he is something different.
Speaker 2: I've said for a long time, and I think he has all the qualities that they wish Roman Reigns had.
Speaker 3: I think he has that ability. So I can't say that, you know, no, he can't become that.
Speaker 2: But you know, I don't look at him just think, oh slam dunk, this guy is gonna know he's the next John Cena. I don't necessarily see it that way either, you know, I think they should be very open minded going into the possibility that, you know, he may have that quality to him, and if he doesn't, well, hey, he's still really good at what he does.
Speaker 1: Could Roman Reigns could not get away and seeing what we've seen out of him and the way that he talks with a yawls and and you know whatever, that it's just his persona. He could never get away with saying that he's sexy and not have the fans completely rebel against him. But Drew McIntyre, the women swoon. I think the kids are gonna want to buy merchandise three two to one claymore. But the guys are gonna like him too. He can get away with saying I'm the sexy Scotsman. And I don't think there's anybody who looks at him and goes, he's a badass, But yeah, he thinks he's sexy, and I don't want to cheer this guy. My friends will can't be weird or something like that. Like, I don't think that's I don't think that's an issue with him. There's something there with him that he can be all things tall people and something stopped Roman from getting their same thing, something stop Seth from getting there. I think Drew has a huge upside. I think he's a very valuable heel and even better valuable baby face because he gets to break out of a very narrow lane he was in as the grumpy, uptight heel and you know, destined for greatness, but standing behind other people circumstantially for you know, way too long. This is breakoup. I still but when I say transformative, I just don't think he's Hogan or or necessarily even what Daniel Bryan was for that snapshot of history. That that the glimpse that we got before is kind of muffled a bit by the booking. But I don't I don't know for sure. That's why I bring it up and ask. My inclination is to bet you know, a level down from that, but he's still if they play their cards right and if he beats Brock at Mania, you know, are you set for a few years with a guy who ends up better off than Seth and Rains did as your top in his prime babyface?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think there's that potential, is there? I wouldn't be printing shirts with sexy sexy Scotsman.
Speaker 1: No, but he got I was saying it in kind of a self aware way.
Speaker 2: But I did hear my girlfriend giggle from the kitchen when he said that, So I don't know if she was giggling like, yeah, he is, or just thought it was a funny line.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure, but yeah, I think you know he is. I'd be more.
Speaker 2: Concerned right now if I hadn't seen him an impact wrestling do such an effective job as a baby that. Okay, sexy Scotsman, where is this going? But we have seen that, and we know like he can get away with that because he's such a good talker and he knows how to walk that line. So yeah, I think, you know, there's a lot of upside here. I think this is a really exciting move. That was the most excited I've been about a royal Rumbo winner in a long time. It was just the right move to make. And my fear, even when it was Brock hung around the ringside, like, oh, he's going to pull him over and they're going to split this up and have him win the chamber to get to Brock.
Speaker 3: But they did the right thing. They went all the way. They had him to eliminate Brock and had him go all the way to win, and I think that was the way to do it.
Speaker 2: And if he doesn't win the title at WrestleMania, I'm not going to panic as long as I have some feeling that okay, and they just didn't feel like this was the time. Maybe you do it at SummerSlam and you build that moment a little bit more. It doesn't I mean, Manya is where they like to do those sorts of things to really make somebody. So I'm not ruling it out, but I'm just saying I'm not going to panic either, as long as it's not just oh, Brock beats him and six minutes like Brock beats everybody, that would be a huge mistake.
Speaker 1: One of the odds Drew beats Rock and becomes champion at Mania right now.
Speaker 3: I look at it like at least seventy five eight. I think he does because I don't know what you're looking at.
Speaker 1: You know who else is going to I mean, yeah, I just I think it's the right thing to do. I think it's the right time to do it. I but part of me just I just bet I should say I've been burned by it because I don't know how. I mean, Rain's got his win. Seth got his win with a low blow. You know it's happened. But I just it feels like Drew. I'm still worried Drew as the flavor of the season because Vince doesn't see a better option and he got talked into it by Paul and I. So until I see it, I'm just not I don't want to get myself too up for it. But I think it's the right move. I mean, Drew looks and he's carried himself. He's carrying himself as a guy who is not intimidated by Brock and he does so in a way that I buy into and I didn't with Seth. That's not the story they told his Seth. Sets I think I can meet up. I think I can beat him. Drew's like, I'm kay his ass, you know, through Claymore, He's done. I'm not scared of him. And Rain's just doesn't have that. Rains always felt like that video game reporter or the video game wrestler who pops off the screen and is Vincent Man's vision of the ultimate you know, guy who I'm gonna push. But he didn't seem like a fighter. He was the cool dude who knew his place in the shield and then got over pushed and all that. It's like he had stiff working against him, and those things just aren't there with Drew. So yeah, I think people would buy Drew as as a badass who can beat Brock and he's not shying away from from you know, setting the goal high. So yeah, it's it's fun, It's this is this. So many people are on journeys right now. You know, Edge and Wharton, they're each on a journey. Raymisterio's on a journey. Angel Garza now on a journey filling in for uh Andrade and Umberto was on a journey. They had he wasn't the flavor of the week who's been discarded. They they're investing in him. You know, he's he's a valuable off, you know, kind of bench player to use an NBA analogy or whatever, like they they're and I think there's an upside for him so on and off And we haven't talked about the women's division there. There's some good stuff going on on Raw. The wrestlers are on journeys and I'm invested in them well.
Speaker 2: And one more point on Drew is you know, the last time I was this excited about somebody that was kind of rising the ranks as a baby face was braun Stroman going into his first match with brock Lessner. The difference now is that there's no Roman reigns, you know, Vince chosen one standing in the way. I don't see anyone on Raw that is being built up in that in that fashion. So yeah, that's why I think there's a really good chance that he ends up beating Brock again, whether it's Mania, Summer Slam.
Speaker 3: You know, at some point I think he's the guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, thanks for downloading today's show. Take it to the next level with a VIP membership. Get shows like this The Way Killer Prossing Podcast, Weight Killer Prosing Post Show, and the pw Torch daily casts on our pw Torch VIP podcast feed with ads and plugs removed from the shows for a streamlined listening experience, and also hear the VIP exclusive shows that I host with Rich Fans and Todd Martin, Everything with Rich Fan and The Fix with Todd Martin signature VP series that you're missing out without a VIP membership, So go vip here in twenty twenty two and enjoy all the benefits, all the bonus content and the ad free listening experience. Pw torch dot com slash go vi ip. Okay, let's touch on SmackDown again. Kind of a big macro question. Who would have I guess we talked about it earlier to a degree, but it it's a watchable vincement, you know, quintessential. I can't not think of the quintessential stud Muffin when I say that, but the quintessential vincement Man Brus Pritchard show. And the rating the viewership is fine but not where it should be, but not in a panic state. And you know, you'd say, well, you know, Rhonda and Brock and Roman there clearly, even though it's a little surprising, both Becky and Charlotte, ron raw Sasha and Bailey were hot off turns, You're like, you know, and the Fiend. It's like, this was supposed to be this star studded show. And you know, Danna Bryant's been a pleasant surprise back in the old Daniel Broyn role. But Ron is gone. Brock's gone. The Fiend is sort of part time and you got to use them in a different, non traditional way. And they have no heels, and after you know, Brian and Rains, there's not a lot there. Bron is sort of a special attraction guy. I don't know, it just it does feel like and Todd Martin predicted this, and he said last week he was ready to take his victory lap that ros still despite Roman reigns and The Fiend and Bronz Strowman. Ro's the a show still despite being on Fox. And you know we should whisper that because I don't think Fox executives want to hear that no, And.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's by design. I think that it's what we always see with Vince. The bigger, the bigger the show in his mind, the more he thinks he's loading it up when they do a roster, split, a draft, what have you, and it always works out that the other brand gets all the workers and everyone that people are excited about, and it's just that's the way it go. So I think he when he split the brands up, I think he looked at it and thought, for whatever reason, he had SmackDown laid out the way he needed to. And a lot of it was we got to protect Roman. We can't have all these heels that people actually like. We got to protect the Mighty Roman. And so that's why I think you see kind of a shortage of heeled depth there. You're going to get sham is coming up at some point, you just know you will. Yeah, I mean, so I think SmackDown is in a bad place because of that, And I won't be surprised if they do another draft or shake up at some point soon and start to undo some of the good that's been done on Raw. But I have more faith than Paul Hayman creatively to just make up for it long term anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So on SmackDown, where are we with the Fiend and WrestleMania Roman? Yeah? And good lack with that?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, it's great.
Speaker 2: The WrestleMania crowd, they're going to think the Fiend is kind of cool and they don't like Roman. I mean they booed him when he was coming back from leukemia for the first time in WrestleMania that they don't like him. You know, there's audiences they tolerate him. There's some audience like the family friendly crowds that are going to SmackDown like him.
Speaker 3: But WrestleMania, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, you heard it at the Rumble, there was already there were already a lot of detractors there. Maybe they don't care enough about the Universal Championship at this point because it's just the way it's been booked that they won't be as tough on this. But I don't see like a groundswelve support for Roman reigns. I just think it's going to be one of those Yeah, let's just get this over with matches.
Speaker 1: What could SmackDown do to spark the show?
Speaker 3: Like, is fire Bruse portrait and Vince McMahon steps away?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, idea, that's it to me. Had they made Daniel Brown champion and told that story and had the Fiend off on the side in a very relevant feud, but without the championship and found something for Rains that felt important but didn't involve the world title, which would involve getting some heels on that roster and maybe you know, like again Rains and the USOS against a fresh and truly formidable three man heel team that you can split off and do some singles matches with and go that direction for six months or so with Brian is champ Fiend in the special attraction role, Braun in the special attraction role, Rains in deeply personal feuds and delaying what is still too soon and maybe I'll never be right again with a fan base, you know, him being against the Fiend in a world title matchup Mania, that to me is sort of the the not you know, it's not a complete overhaul like the Timber Miss Timberros did today, right, but a tweak of given what you have and then just trying to find a way to get some heels over there that matter, because I mean, and again a new day, He'll turn would be in the mix. The other thing, and it's it's it's always been enough on the table his Turnarrains he you know, go with Brian as champion and have Reins lose to the Fiend in a non title matchup Mania and then Rains goes heal because a lot of people change after they wrestle with the Fiend. You might have heard that, Jason, Yeah, And then and then use that at Brian fighting for Underneath and you're trying to keep Rains from getting the belt, Like I think there's some things they can do. And then you know, also just you know, strengthening the outer card by doing a better job of Seamus out of the gate than they've done. And by the way, protect Nakamura and Cesarro more than they have, right, you know that lost by Nakamura. I just there's there's so many things that that they're doing that that diminish how important everything but the top one or two programs. Other than the top one or two programs, it doesn't feel important enough.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, and does anyone care that bron Stroman won the Intercondinental title? And it just goes to show they I think they said Knakamura held the title for one hundred and ninety nine days and like there wasn't one memorable moment in that one hundred and ninety nine days, and so Ron beating him to win that title just didn't matter.
Speaker 3: It was like, okay, great.
Speaker 1: When you form a new tag team while you're in anental champion and you're knowing more for that tag team, it's not a particularly memorable trade. So yeah, I mean, I don't know, don't Is there anything more you want to say about Smacdell.
Speaker 3: Shortyg is the worst gimmick in years.
Speaker 2: I feel horrible for Chad Gable and I mean that just tells me everything I need to know about the creative forces that are really running that show.
Speaker 13: Do you remember when Hulk Hogan shocked the world and formed the New World Order or when Stone Cold Steve Austin passed down on the Sharpshooter to break the hit Man heart. I'm Torch contributor Frank petty Any and I've reviewed these shows and many more for my exclusive VIP podcast, Pro Wrestling Than and Now. Together with a rotating chair of co hosts, we go back ten, twenty, even thirty years, review pay per views from top to bottom, talk about where the wrestlers were at the time, and compare what took place then to what is taking place now. You get exclusive access to these and other podcasts as part of your PW Torch vip membership, which is compatible with the Apple Podcasts app. Visit pwtorch dot com slash go vip for details and sign up.
Speaker 1: For Okay, so let's talk about the XFL a little bit. You are a big NFL fan. Where are you on your anticipation for the XFL, both as kind of a curiosity this weekend and the sustainable their ability to to get you invested as a as a sustaining view a viewer who watches on a weekly basis and sustain your interest.
Speaker 2: I'm only watching a quarter because I feel obligated, and I'll go into it, you know, as open minded as I can, like, Hey, if it's good, maybe watch more.
Speaker 3: But I'm going to force myself to watch a quarter this weekend. I have no interest in this.
Speaker 2: This is players I don't know for the most part, players I don't care about for the most part, playing for teams that I have no attachment to whatsoever. And it's all second rate. And I just watched the peak of the NFL season and it was a great game. And I mean, this is just if they can find enough money in television and streaming to keep this afloat, good for them. This is not catching on the idea of doing this right right after the Super Bowl, Like I get the idea. I thought there would have been some buzz for this during the Super Bowl, like Fox advertising their coverage more than they did.
Speaker 3: Nobody's talking about this.
Speaker 2: I finally saw a headline in one of the football sites that I go to, and it's a site that has been kind of pro XFL and believing at different points that this could be successful. This is the first time all week I've seen any kind of an XFL headline on there. They're doing a terrible job with this, he says. They have almost four hundred employees. I don't know what the hell they're doing. It's sure as hell, isn't marketing.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess does that count the people in charge of like carrying the equipment from city to city.
Speaker 3: It must. I think this is just the rollout for this is beyond bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, if you're a WWE viewer, I mean, if you have a house shows. I mean, they've been running ads, like you know, at live events for the XFL, But I don't know if there's concern like if they run XFL ads on TV, does the XFL need to pay WWE for that because of the uproar over you know, the really truly keeping them separate would is part of the lack of hype on WWE television because of concern that investors had that WWE was giving away promotion for this outside company on promotion that they should be selling. And did that actually discourage Vince from promoting the XFL to his own audience.
Speaker 3: It might, but I mean even if he can, I just don't think people care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'll probably watch more than a quarter. But you know, like the original incarnation, the original incarnation was a circus, you know, Jesse vent Turrett, Jim Ross, cheerleaders having affairs with quarterbacks. I mean it was just like, it's just like, you couldn't have come up with a better, a more out of touch, tone deaf way to launch counter to a league that Vince thought nobody had fun watching because it's no fun league, when the truth was it was wildly popular, and the way to launch an alternate wasn't to rip on the product that people loved, but just market it as essentially an extension of it with some fun things thrown in. And you know, I still say the dumbest thing they ever did is the non football people said, we're going to make it more exciting by loosening up on all those defensive rules. And then they wondered why games were six to three because wide receivers are basically being tackled by defenders who because they wouldn't get penalized. Like they loosened up the rules, think you would make it a harder hitting game. And what it did is it prevented passes from connecting to anybody.
Speaker 3: Well, and now they're having all these quirky rules.
Speaker 2: And I mean, some of them may turn out to be good, and if they are, they'll be adopted by the NFL. But I mean it's just now they're trying to reinvent the wheel with football, is what I'm with this rule book.
Speaker 3: I tried to read through and I gave up. It was like, this is dumb.
Speaker 1: What's w's spin a wheel? Make a deal? Give it called? Oh done that in a while, Rolette, Yah, thank you, we need XFL roulette. You know, spin the wheel. Cornerback has to throw with his left hand if he's right handed, for you know, a third down of choosing by the other team right the coach has to go in and play offensive lineman for the opening, you know, for one of the players, like just do crazy stuff. You know, I wouldn't. I wouldn't rule out any of that because with a mistic man running it, even if the football people will scoff if the ratings aren't where they need to be. This is this is Vince trying to fix something that he's embarrassed by.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is uh. I have no hope, no expectation of this doing well at all.
Speaker 1: Rh Are they making a comeback? Are they worth? You know, we talk about Raw being a show on the comeback and people should try to they gave up on it is RHTV in that category yet with you, Jason, with some uh, you know, revitalized format changes on the booking scene and some new names.
Speaker 2: I'd like to tell you, but I mean, you know, they're having their free enterprise show, which is great if you live in Baltimore. It's the big relaunch of their show. But oh, you have to be an Honor Club subscriber to see the big relaunch of a Ring of Honor.
Speaker 3: This is a dumb approach.
Speaker 1: What have you thought of what you've seen so far? Five six weeks into the year, though, there's nothing.
Speaker 2: About television yet because it's so dated, you know, it's so it's rh TV.
Speaker 3: It's just as bad as it's been.
Speaker 2: They're straying a little bit from all the highlights, and they're starting to give you more of the three match approach. But two of the last three weeks have featured Master and the Machine and enhancement matches. I mean, they're giving enhancement guys more time than their stars. There's very little star power on the show. I mean not that RWH has a lot of star power, but even like the stars of the brand, they're not appearing on the show often enough.
Speaker 3: Reck Height has just got to win. It's bad.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hope it gets better, but they if you're really going to do a relaunch and you want people to get excited about it, you find a way to put that show out there for free.
Speaker 1: So I'll put you down for a no on that. Who are Roh's top six guys right now?
Speaker 2: Oh, Pco, Marty Squirrel, Bandido Rouche, and I'm probably forgetting people beyond.
Speaker 1: That, Jeff Cobb and the Briscos and that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how long Jeff Cobb is going to be there. I guess the Brisco's by default. I mean they just they're the Briskos, you know, I mean they they're always around and they would mean more elsewhere, but you know, they seem content being there.
Speaker 1: H we'res Dalton Castle at this point, the precursor to velveteen Dream and a champion for a while with an injury riddled Ron. He's you know, he's he's in the mix now is do they have him moved way down the card in your eye? Or is he someone who you could imagine being top six as a Euro goes forward.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's happening. I think the thrill has kind of gone there. The boys aren't there anymore. Returned to Heel, it didn't go well. Fans didn't want to boo him, but they also aren't that into him either. And now he's in like this comedic tag team that just doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, Flip Gordon, how does he look going into twenty twenty?
Speaker 2: Completely wasted as the fourth member of Villain Enterprises. He was their young pretty boy baby face with the military background and so roh booking being what it is, let's turn him Heel and just make him a bland assassin hype who doesn't say anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, what else?
Speaker 3: Jace?
Speaker 1: So what do you think of the new w signings?
Speaker 3: I like both.
Speaker 2: I think Killer Cross has tremendous upside. I loved him and Impact Russ. I don't know what they'll call him a WWE, so I think that's a great signing. Timothy Thatcher is a guy that AEW should Maybe they did, but they should have made a real play for He would fill a need for them. They need some guys who can work a Matt based style to kind of counter all the more high flying type of stuff that they do.
Speaker 3: They still have a need for that, And I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think he Thatcher strikes me as a guy that's going to probably do well in NX and that's going to be the peak of it, because I can't see Vince McMahon getting into, you know, a thirty six year old Matt based wrestler who doesn't have Kurt Angle's charisma.
Speaker 1: Right, when you think about AW in the free agent market, is not signing Cross us should people read into that as a sign that AW is not going to be a serious bidder for the the I guess the equivalent prior would be Sentent and Ortiz, which they did score.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so, because I mean, you'd have to go back to when Scarlett Bordeaux signed with NXT, and that's his girlfriend. Once that happened, I think realistically, I mean, you know, there's there's some couples who work different places, but for the most I think at that point most of us were just like, ah, he's probably going to follow once he's contractually able, and that's what he did. So I don't I mean, they should have made a play. Hopefully they did. I assume they did, because he's been backstage, like they're events like in Vegas in the past, at least one of them, so they probably made it play.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's he if she wanted to be there and he wanted to to be there, not much you.
Speaker 1: Can do, Yeah, yep, anything else you want to cover?
Speaker 3: Jason, No, I think that takes care of everything.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Cool, All right, So we'll wrap up there again. Check out Jason's website Pro Wrestling dot Net a ton of if you want to get more on the w WB financials and the Vin's conference call. All the highlights are there. We certainly talked about a lot of it, but not everything. And uh yeah you're you're just breaking news and live TV coverage and of course links to all your podcasts too. But people should check out Pro Wrestling Boom. The you know, diverse mix of people, interviews you get are It's always fun to see who's gonna be on this this coming each week when when you drop that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again, if anybody has any questions or just wants to follow me in general at Pro Wrestling Net on Twitter, you got it.
Speaker 1: Yep, cool, Thanks Jason, Thank you. Invite you to email the show with feedback or questions or comments. That email address is Wadekeller Podcast at petwtorch dot com. That's Wadekeller Podcast at pwtorch dot com. Also welcome your feedback on Twitter. Even follow us on Twitter at PW torch and follow me at the Wade Keller That's at PW Torch and at the Wadekeller.
Speaker 2: Searching for more great pro wrestling talk, then join me Jason Powell, host of the three weekly Pro Wrestling Boom podcast. Each week you'll hear the latest news and analysis from me and my team at Pro Wrestling dot need along with other pro wrestling media members, plus the Pro Wrestling Boom podcast features long form interviews with notable names in the pro wrestling industry. Subscribe and iTunes, Stitcher, Downcast, and all your favorite secondary apps, or visit us directly at PW boom dot com. Once again, that's PW Boom.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to our podcast. Did you know we also have a website, pw torch dot com. Daily news updates, editorials, and my live TV coverage covering Raw, Dynamite and SmackDown and my live pay per view coverage for WWE and AEW. Create a tab or bookmark make it a daily stop. Visit us throughout the day every day to keep up on breaking news and more. That's PW torch dot com.
Speaker 5: Meet an extra dose of positivity in your wrestling podcasts, will come join me Alan fourrel Over in the Progress Paradise at Pterbeo Torch vip as we mask on the bright side of wrestling and focus on some of the great matches and shows from around the world, be it US, Japan, Europe or Mexico. There's always a place for wrestlings past and the paradise too, and we've done fun historical shows such as the We Love Liger series celebrating the glorious career of Jusian Thunderliger and our I Was there When shows where our guests will join me to talk about a class bout that they were in attends for. We love variety and you can expect lots of it at the Progress Paradise. Detailed pw tors VIP subscription information on a list of all the VIP benefits is available at pwrew Torch vipinfo dot com. And yes, all VIP podcasts are compatible with popular podcast apps on iPhone and Android devices, or you can stream them directly from our ad free VIP mobile site.
Speaker 1: See you in the Paradise. One way that you can help us sustain our schedule of putting out podcasts throughout the week is by giving us a five star rating on Apple Podcasts. Just go to Apple Podcasts and look for our Weightkeller Pressing Podcast and Weight Keller Processing Post show and give us a five star rating. We hope you think we've earned that score with our fast turnaround times and our quantity and quality of wrestling analysis throughout the week. So take a moment out for us and do us favor and give us a five star rating and Apple Podcasts that helps us on search returns and helps us grow. And if you want, you can add a few comments about what you like about the programs in the comments section. Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: In twenty twelve, NXT transitioned into the developmental system and ultimately the brand you see today. On the Torch VIP podcast NXT Eight Years Back, we'll be taking a weekly look at this page in NXT's early history.
Speaker 7: Join Kelly Wells and me Tom Stout from PWT Talks NXT every Saturday as we go eight years back to the day to track NXT's rising talents and why they did or didn't work out Exclusively for PW Torch VIP members.
Speaker 1: PW Torch VIP membership doesn't just give you ad free access to these shows and a ton of other VIP exclusive podcasts throughout the week, but you also gain access to our unmatched vast library of wrestling history, our contemporaneous week to week coverage through our progressing Torch Weekly newsletters dating back to the late nineteen eighties, along with streaming and download access to hundreds of retro radio shows from the nineteen nineties, including some of my interviews with wrestling's top newsmakers in the and also our podcast library dating back to the year two thousand and three. There's no larger, longer spanning pro wrestling podcast library than that that comes with a PW Torch VIP membership. Now we're approaching twenty years of podcasting. Go VIP and dive into our post pay per view roundtables are covered with some of your favorite eras of wrestling, top name, long form interviews, and special format podcasts that we've done throughout the years. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP. We have a streamline sign up for me and you can pay with PayPal or directly with your credit card or debit card. In one or two minutes from right now, you can be a VIP member and diving into our library. Pw torch dot com slash go vip