Speaker 1: Well, well, well, welcome back to talking Schmidt Bestie's how are you today? I'll go first. I'm just had a mental breakdown because these chairs that I got for the pod area in my apartment are the same color as the wall, and I cannot fathom a world where I return them. I can't imagine carrying them down three flights of stairs to God knows where to return them to God knows who. And now I just have an apartment that's monochrome. I look like I'm living in a brick and I'm sitting on a brick and I'm just becoming a brick. My pants are brick colored. Everything is brick colored, except for my tears. If you notice, I have under eye patches on now because I was just crying. No, I wasn't crying, but I was very upset because I tried to shoot this and take one. Was me realizing that it looks like I'm floating and my chair is the same color as my wall. And that's a colossal fuck up. And I'm depressed about it because I was excited about these chairs because they're these like luxurious, luxurious, What the fuck is that word? Why can't I say it? Today? That sounds like word solid, luxurious orange color, like a burnt orange color that's so beautiful. But guess what, My floors are burned orange and so are my walls. So I am just living in a burnt orange ball. I'm the burnt orange ball man. Anyway, besties, hope your Monday is off to a better start than mine. All things considered, I'm doing great. I really am. I love New York City. Can we talk about New York City?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Also, before we start talking about how much I love New York City, let's talk about the fact I just booked some dates in Phoenix. I'm gonna be in Phoenix, Arizona at Stand Up Live on July eighteenth and nineteenth.
Speaker 2: I'm doing a quick little.
Speaker 1: Weekend if you guys want to come see my new hour. I'm having so much fun with it. I am a viscerating the situation I was just in, and that is the thing I just want you guys all to know. I want you to know. And while it looks like I am recording from inside of a box under a bridge, I have words of wisdom for you, which is that you can heart a comedian in life.
Speaker 2: You can.
Speaker 1: But I wouldn't. I just wouldn't, uh, because we are going to get the last laugh. And that's what we're gonna do in Phoenix is get the last laugh. So if you guys want to come hang out, go to my website Brittain Schmidt dot com and get your tickets to come see me. I have three shows the on the eighteenth and nineteenth. I think there's two shows the eighteenth, one on the nineteenth. Who knows none of my business. My schedule is never any of my business, you guys. I one time was at a show and I started crowdworking about Texas and I was like, oh, Texas. It's really just fucking strange here, isn't it. You guys, dud da da da da about Texas? Whatever the fuck I was saying. And everyone was looking at me with blank stairs and I was like, what is going on here? And they're like, you are in Oklahoma City. Oh, and I got a delivery one second. That delivery system is going to be the death of me. In case you guys care. They Amazon comes by the way all hours of the night. They come at three am, four am and they ring that bell and I'm just like.
Speaker 2: I don't need my dry shampoo. That bad.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll have another day of greasy hair. Like read the room, the room is asleep, Let me sleep, let me rest. And it's such a startling sound. Right every time I hear it, my cortisol spikes. I just don't. I don't like that aspect of being in New York City. I don't like that I don't have a doorman. That feels like I didn't realize it was gonna be such a problem because I never lived here before. But what that means is if I'm not home to receive a package when the little bell rings, I don't get the package and it just goes back to the warehouse or like the shipping center, FedEx or ups. And it's like, that's fine if it was indeed just dry shampoo all the time, But what's getting shipped right now are like couches and shelves and shit like that. Also, I'm furious about these chairs. The rage that burns within me pretty significant. Not gonna lie. I was really excited about these chairs. Anyway, Listen, nothing matters. We're all gonna die at the end of the day. Am I really going to remember that I even had chairs that matched my walls in New York City. I'm really not. What I am going to remember about New York City is what happened to me yesterday. I had to go to Ramoa. Oh the birds are backing, and I have to feed the birds. Are they're gonna get mad at me? In case you're wondering what codependent relationships have taken the place of the relationship that I was just in, the codependent relationship is the relationship I have made with the New York City birds. All right. When I was laying on my ear mattress when I first moved in, I was just a little like, did I make the right move? Did I is this the right call? And a cardinal landed on my fire escape, And I think cardinals are often spirit animals, like they come from you know. I think there's like some significant research on this. I don't think I'm the brainchild of this. Cardinals are are spirit animals. So I think maybe it was my mom or my grandma, are Big Eye or whoever, just reassuring me that I did the right thing. But I was like, oh my gosh, I should get a bird feeder, and then there's gonna be cardinals here all the time. Wrong. It's now I'm getting bullied by birds. I got a little bird feeder and there's these little shit birds. Little tousled. That's a word I've used before, and it's never been real, and it never will be, but I'm gonna continue to use it with they're tossled feathers like they've just got the shit kicked out of them on the subway. And they come and they stand on my fire escape and they yell at me until I feed their little filled their little bird dish up. And the problem is the bird dish wouldn't keep getting destroyed. But now the puge holes have found out about it. And there's big old battye pigeons. And when I tell you, every bird that comes here looks like they just can't flew out of a homeless shelter. I mean it is the most rough and tumble looking birds there's been nothing even remotely resembling a cardinal. But I love them. I love them. I love these ugly little shitty birds. And you know what, I like the pigeons too. I like all birds. I have reached. I've reached the big olde of I love a bird. There is a there's a turning point in one's life when they start to appreciate birds, and I don't know what it is, you just get captivated by their majesty. And I remember, right after I got divorced, I was dating this guy. He was like a few years older than me, and he was so into birds. He knew the name of every species. He would go bird watching. Wow a species and luxurious or words I cannot say today. He knew every species, he would go birdwatching, and I was like, this fucking dork. But he had a big old dong, so I was like, whatever, I don't give a fucking whatever. Dude, call me a cardinal and fuck me doggie style, like I do not care. But he was just like really into birds, and I was like, this guy's a fucking weirdo. And now I'm really into birds. And look a bird was outside just yelling at me, being like, where's the food, bitch? Because every day I fill up their little jar and little dish and every day it's gone by like four pm.
Speaker 2: It's kind of cool.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's like a little ecosystem of shit birds outside of my my fire escape, outside of my window. I'm obsessed with my windows. I feel like I'm living in the trees. I'm on the third floor of the apartment, so I'm exactly at tree top level, and I'm just obsessed with this place. I didn't even know if I would like New York. I love New York. I am obsessed. So anyway, I was telling you I was going to Ramoa yesterday, which, by the way, what a scam. The scam of all scams is the Ramoa suitcase. They're like, it's the last piece of luggage you're ever gonna have to own because they claim to be unbreakable. I had mine for fucking six weeks and it broke. The wheel busted off it when I moved here, so when I was coming here with four suitcases and I never needed a wheel to move to work more, it broke. When I arrived at LaGuardia, the wheel on my Ramoa was broken. You know what wasn't broken My Samsonite, my swimmy Swammy Samsonite that I've had forever, which is just like an eighty dollars suitcase that is the highest quality suitcase I've ever had, and I could pack a dead body in that bitch. And my toomy that I've had forever. My toomy looks like it went to war. It is lime green, It has more sticker go on it than a fucking one of my trapper keepers in middle school.
Speaker 2: It looks like shit, but it is a great suitcase.
Speaker 1: This Ramoa. We fucking pop our pussy for this luxury suitcase. It breaks in six weeks and then I have to with a broken wheel, I can't wheel it across town. I now have to get an Uber to go to Ramoa, which is a fifty by the way, Uber's here the price couching in this city. I I'm ready to call the cops. Like it's fifty dollars to go anywhere in an Uber. The subway system is fine. I'm figuring it out, but I'm not like so comfortable that I'm like, I'm gonna take my Romoa to Soho. I'm not like there yet emotionally, mostly because I don't want to bother people by having a suitcase on a train, even though I know people have suit on the train. I just like, I don't know. I'm self conscious about like getting in people's way, and like New Yorkers are so intense, I don't want them to get mad at me. Anyway, whatever, long story, long as fuck. I go to Ramoa drop it off. They're like, oh, this is a brand new bag. We don't know how it broke. And I'm like, yeah, gee gee me neither. They're like, are you going anywhere soon? And I was like, yeah, I'm going to France on Friday, which I'll tell you guys that about that later. That was like a last minute decision I made. I'm being like, borderline insane. I don't know if I'm having a spiritual awakening or a manic episode, but either way, it's none of my business. I'm going to Santra pe Bach. Mama's getting a spray tand she's thrown a Bikinian and she's gonna go shake her ass at Nikki Beach, all right, Because I think the keyre for anything is France. Always, It's always France. France is just a nurturing place for my soul. Anytime I'm going through anything, I run away. I usually run away to Paris. I'm only spending two days in Paris. We're gonna go to Nice, as I've been calling it nice, very nice. My friends don't love that we're gonna go to Nice. We're gonna go to Santralpe. We're gonna go to z and then we're gonna go to Paris. And that's that anyway. So I dropped the suitcase off at Remo. I don't worry you, guys. I'm not losing my train of thought.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm gonna walk back.
Speaker 1: It's been beautiful in New York the last couple of days. It is. The weather is perfect. It's like seventy five, seventy six, sunny, little breeze, perfect, perfect, perfect. So I get my little decaf lante. Mama loves a decaf latte, which, by the way, I watched her pour the lante. I've never watched anyone poor a latte before. And this is gonna let you know how stupid I can be. And I will admit to that. It's a latte is pretty much a cup of milk? Did we know this? Did everyone know that? We were just drinking milk? Like I clown my dad because he drinks out of the container like Vitamin D milk every morning.
Speaker 2: I'm like disgusting, but that's low key.
Speaker 1: What I've been doing. I watched her make it and it was just like all milk, and I was like, wait, wait wait, wait, wait wait wait wait wait wait, where's the other stuff. She's like, it's literally one shot of espresso. And I was like, oh not me, just drinking whole fat milk all these mornings, thinking I'm doing something. And here's the thing about me, I'm such an addict, right, I need like the plissy bo effect. I need to feel alive. I need to just feel like I'm a part of something. Like the ritual to me is so important, which is why I quit drinking caffeine a while ago. But I still love the ritual, like I still have my little coffee maker in my apartment. I wake up, I make myself a decaf a lot dae. My lattes are much different than the store bought ones. I do like two shots of espresso and then whipped milk, and it's more of like a half and half situation foamed milk. And that's you know, now that I say it out loud, that's not a lot day. That's something else. I don't know what it is. Again, none of my business. Nothing I do is any of my business. I'm just doing it.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: You guys are like, she's gonna forget the point she's not gonna get there.
Speaker 2: Don't worry. I'm getting there.
Speaker 1: So I'm walking back and I'm feeling myself. I have this cute little outfit on right, this butter colored cream bagt a vest A real lesbian choice of mine, A real don't fuck with me men choice of mine. I was like, strap my tits down like they are right now, and a sports bra, duct tape my tits down, put a little lesbian vest on, and go for a stroll in jorts and a vest I mean, did it look cute when it was together? It did, but it didn't look like I played for the team that would take Dick. I'll be honest. I was like the cutest little lesbian in fucking soho. I was living my best life. And then one of the hottest men I've ever seen in my entire life walks by me, and I was like, certainly he's gonna just pretend I'm dead or not acknowledge me. And he's on a phone call and he turns his head to say in my ear good morning, and I was like, oh, Hi, but he's walking this way. I'm walking that way, and so I was like, Oh, that's just gonna be like oh, a cute, cute little passing. Right, I turn around. I do a double take, which I it's been a long time since mama's done a double take. Like someone's got to be really fucking hot. And he was doing a double take at the same time, and he was like, let me call you back, hangs up his phone call and is like, good morning. He has the most New York accent of all time. He's tall, he's handsome, he has dark hair, piercing blue eyes, just Stonin, just a Stonin man. And I'm like, I love New York City. And he said, I'm going to get a haircut. After I get a haircut, do you want to grab food? And I was like, I'm really busy today, and I am, I was really busy. He's like, I'm really busy today. I'm really busy the next few days and then I leave for France and he was like all right, well, He's like, let me get your phone number. I give him my phone number and he's like, are you sure you don't have time for a slice, Like I'll just just a quick slice. And I was like, I'm slammed. He's like, but I want you to be slammed with something else, and I was like, oh, not this man trying to seal the deal in under forty five minutes. It was a level of testosterone and masculinity I haven't encountered in so long because I lived in La the land of the Soy boys, the land of the is he gay or is he gay? Because he's fucking gay? Like that is what I'm used to. Men being more obsessed with themselves than with women not shooting their shot. Like this city is filled with testosterone and it feels dangerous and exciting all at the same time. And now I just you know, I didn't I didn't have sex with him because I was like, that's not appropriate behavior. That's not something that someone's on a healing journey would do. It feels like a hard detour from a healing journey. And I will tell you that that much is that I'm just not ready and I don't want to, so I'm not going to. I will be ready soon. I was actually talking to THEO about this because I went down to Nashville, which I'm gonna tell you more about this in the Patreon because some of it's tea. But I went down to Nashville and there was this guy that was hitting on me down there, and you know, he's really cool and he's a friend of Theo's. And I was like, I don't think so, Like my heart is still broken, you know, I need to like heal a little more. And he was like, well, don't take the rest of your life healing, honey, And that was such good advice, because I really it's such a different experience having to heal from a relationship that ended that had truly nothing to do with you. Like, I don't think there's a ton of like I need to like reflect, and like, here's the thing I do need to reflect and understand why I why I attracted someone like that, Why I allowed someone like that to I don't want to say, I don't want to say anything negative about the relationship, because it happened for a reason and I know that. But like, the only thing I really need to look at is like why did I Why did my body tell me so clearly that that was not a match and I ignored it and I went full steam ahead, And why did I do? I think that's the healing I need to do. It's more why did I ignore my body? Why did I ignore my gut? Why did I ignore them? Many times he so clearly let me know that was he was not my person, and I let him convince me that he was. That's all. I don't think there's like a ton of like, oh, I'm like some broken, shattered, fucking piece of shit person, Like I don't have like such a heavy heart anymore. Honestly, I feel pretty good about everything. I feel at peace with everything. I feel like it all happens for a reason. Everything happens for a reason. And unfortunately, I think the reason is going to be like some of the best common you've ever written in my life. Unfortunately, it's just really gonna be a banger of an hour. But I just really needed and appreciated that advice of don't spend too much time healing. It's like, you don't want to keep yourself in the misery and the pity and the sadness of a breakup when ultimately in the relationship you didn't do anything wrong, you know. And I think there's different lengths of time and healing for people in different levels of relationships. And I would call that a level one relationship. I mean, I thought it was a level ten. I for sure thought it was a level ten, but I think it was a level one. I think for whatever reason, I got twisted upside down and backwards, and I thought it was a much more impactful and meaningful relationship than it ever was. And I think it was just there for a brief period of time to teach me something. And I think I learned the lessons. And you know, one of the big ones is like do I love myself enough to walk away? And the answer is yes, and so so it's exciting to me because I feel emotionally open to dating, which is like a good place to be in. Am I downloading the apps? No? Am I running? Am I running to that guy's house to fuck him after meeting him on the street. No, I'm not doing insane things. I'm not actively trying to get my feelings hurt again. What I'm doing is going to Sentrope. I'm just gonna go to the south of France and shake my ass, babe. And I think, you know what, in its own sense, that is healing And.
Speaker 2: Is it a good financial decision.
Speaker 1: That's a different conversation completely in one I don't really want to have with you guys, because I did notice someone commented they're like, how do you afford two reds and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. And someone said plastic surgery too. I don't. I don't. I haven't had plastic surgery. I've had injections out the ass and lasers and shit, but I've never had plastic surgery. Not yet. I mean, I'm up into it. But someone was like, how do you afford all this in Trump's economy? And girlfriend, I don't, Bestie, let me sit you down and tell you a secret right now. I fucking don't don't. I don't know anyone who is. I'm so fucking lucky that I had a really big, fat career in advertising before I got into comedy because I was able to save money. And let me tell you, I have decimated my savings. It is in Smitherines in Palm Beach. My savings account is in smytherings in Palm Beach. I'll tell you what. I have spent more money this year than I'm comfortable with admitting, between Biggie's end of life surgeries and moving twice and getting no support financially from the fucking loser bitch I was dating. I mean I just I'm hanging on by a fucking thread right now. But here's the thing. I have faith. I have a ton of faith that something amazing is gonna happen. I keep waking up every day and I'm like, something amazing it's gonna happen. And I'm not even trying to brainwash myself. I really actually believe that. You guys know me. You know, I'm not like misoptimistic, you know. You know I'm not the bubbliest bitch in the bunch. But I just have this feeling energetically of alignment that everything is happening exactly the way it's supposed to. I've had more synchronicity and meetings and opportunities and things come up in the few weeks I have been in New York, then came up in the past year or maybe more, you know, and it's like things that are gonna amount to nothing. Like I got an audition for this TV show and it's a bunch of twenty somethings that live in a one bedroom that has six rooms, like you know, it's like six roommates living in a one giant, one bedroom apartment whatever. And I go to audition for it, and I'm like, literally, I could have given birth to half of the people auditioning here, like, yes, I would have been teen mom, I would have had them at fifteen, but I could actually be their moms. And I took that audition knowing nothing's gonna come of it, and I'm like, why not, Like, let's just go have some fun. Let's go audition for the role we know we're not right for. Let's just energetically like show the universe that we're gonna show up and we want to do this thing. And you know, and here's the thing. At the end of the day, when I was looking around that waiting room, I was like, my injector is going to be thrilled that we got this audition. Doctor Eric Anderson is going to be doing backflips that we even got in this room, because when I tell you, they were all between eighteen and twenty six, maybe at the very very oldest, and then me, me, the big old age of thirty seven. I was sitting there like this isn't gonna happen, but I loved. I love that I'm here and energetically like I'm going to show the universe where I want to be in what I want to do, and there's just been a ton of synchronicity in New York. I'm excited for all the stage time that I'm gonna get. I'm just like so genuinely excited to figure out this new hour. I did it in Raleigh, and I did it in Nashville, and I loved the Raleigh show, like I thought, I blew the fucking roof off Raleigh. We had so much fun. I I just it felt like a tour de force. It was so fun. And then Nashville was fine, but I was I was running on one hour of sleep, so I was exhausted. I did not sleep in Raleigh at all. I was staying at this a loft. The bed was horribly uncomfortable. The pillows felt like a bunch of pebbles. It was like, is someone gonna come beat me with this? Or is there other bars of soap in here? Am I in a prison yard? Are you gonna jump me in I'm get raped in the ass? Is that what's going on here? None of that was going on. It was just a bad bed as shitty hotel and that's all. And so it kind of robbed me of my peace of mind for the Nashville show. Everyone that went loved it so much. I didn't share that experience, but I'm glad everyone else had fun. It's really an interesting thing when you're trying to metabolize heartbreak and pain and trauma and turn it into comedy. And I've said this before where there's audiences are so emotionally intelligent. They can tell if you're okay. And I think in Raleigh, I was okay because I had slept well. I was so excited to be there. I was like, We're gonna fucking We're gonna turn this shit. You know, We're gonna turn this trauma into some fucking great comedy. And I was so excited about it. And then in Nashville, because I was running on no sleep. And by the way, running on no sleep, I know it's a torture technique and it should be, because, oh my god, a lack of sleep is the devil's work. And I have been having a tough time sleeping because I'm on a busy street in Chelsea, and yeah, it's just been it's been a tough adjustment for my body, for my physical body, not to mention my emotional body, not to mention I'm actually going back down on my lexapro. I had gone up when I was in Palm Beach because I was so fucking miserable and I was really handling the situations that were being thrown at me not well, and so I went I went up to ten milligrams when I was in Palm Beach, and then after talking to my therapist about it, I just decided to go back down to five miligrams. And one of the side effects of that of going back down is insomnia and anxiety. And I've been having like this crazy body anxiety where I feel like my soul is gonna pop out of my toes, Like it's like there's like this like pressure of just like this well of anxiety. But I've read into it this is all temporary, this is all part of the process of just getting back down to five. And I just felt like more myself when I was on five. I think ten really kind of numbed me out. Honestly, I just have no idea who the fuck I was when I was living in Palm Beach, Like that version of me I'm not real proud of. I. I don't really know what to say. There's gonna be amends I have to make there's I made a fucking mess emotionally and were some things done wrong to me? Yeah? Absolutely, But does that mean that you get to like go kick a fucking shit fist fit and make a mess and drag people to hell. No, I'm just like not proud of the version of myself that I was there, and I can tell that when I'm here, I'm going to become a version of myself that I'm really excited about. So I think things are trending in the right direction. And then I had a total like aha, god moment in Nashville where Okay, so David Tel was working in the big room and I was in the lab, which is the side room. And Davidtel is an interesting part of my comedy journey in that he is the person who introduced me to stand up comedy. I wasn't super aware it existed. So this was the and this is what I think the gateway, the pipeline for most of us millennials was into comedy.
Speaker 2: Dane Cook.
Speaker 1: Dane Cook. All my friends were like, rah, we loved Dane Cook. I saw Dane Cook and I was like, whoa, this is like crazy, what an electric and cool career. And then I remember I let, I was like, I like Dane Cook, so I was like, I'm gonna see where else Dane Cook is and David Tel had the Insomniac Tour and it was Dane Cook, David Tel, Greg Giraldo. I got my hands on that DVD, and when I say, I probably watched it one hundred times. It was so profound to me, and Dane Cook was on the back burner. I didn't give a fuck about Dane Cook anymore. David Tel and Greg Giraldo were so special to me. I thought Greg Giraldo was a fucking genius. He made me laugh harder than anyone has ever made me laugh. When he died, I was so sad, but I wasn't. I had no idea I could be a stand up right. I just saw these guys doing something that was cool and funny. And I remember there was a darkness about Greg Giraldo and Dave Attel that I really gravitated to. I remember Dane Cook being like light and fluffy and like la la la la la, and Dave and Greg were both Greg was super fucking intelligent. Dave also highly intelligent. But there was just like this darkness to them that I was that I really gwvitated too. And so I was leaving my show in the lab in Nashville and I was talking to these guys outside of the main room and they're like, oh, did you meet Dave? And I was like, no, but I don't know him, so I'm not going to go in there. And they're like, no, he wants to meet you, and so they took me in and he's like, oh, hey, I'm Dave. I love this joke of yours, Like this is so smart, this is so funny. Do you want to do a spot on my show tomorrow night? And I just had a moment where I was like, would you look at God? It was so profound to me. And I'm like getting emotional because I think there's just like a little girl version of me that's sitting on my dad's floor in Waterford, Wisconsin watching the insomniac who are thinking like, these guys are rock stars, their jobs are the coolest jobs in the world. I can't imagine a life like that. And now for this person to have the generosity of spirit to go look at who's performing in the lab, look at my stuff, have a joke of mine to reference when we meet, and to just be so generous and kind was really I felt like a godwink. It was God being like, you're doing the right thing, You're in the right place at the right time, and everything is gonna be good. And then I did his show and it was great, and I felt so bad because he like calls comedians up on stage after a show, and I couldn't stay because I had to go grab THEO from the airport. He was coming back from the Mexico game and he was at like a World Cup game in Mexico, and I had to go grab and like, I just felt bad because I couldn't stay and I couldn't do the thing. And he had invited me to dinner, you know, after the Friday night, like after you know, we did a show, and I just I felt bad that I couldn't show up in the capacity that I wanted to as a comedian. But like, I just felt so deeply honored that he took the time to be so kind, and it was just one of the moments where I'm like, all right, and we're gonna keep going. We're gonna keep going. You know, this this career is so fucking can be dogg eat dog and hard as fuck. And just like when you're on the road alone and you don't know you know where you are or what you're doing, why you're doing it, what's the purpose of all of this? And then there are just little moments of synchronicity that make you realize, oh, no, everything is happening the way it's supposed to do. Everything is happening, Everything happens for a reason, and you're exactly where you're supposed to be. And I think that was just a really nice That was a really nice moment for me to have. I actually saw something the other day that really made me laugh that I want to tell you guys about, which is that the final step of healing is becoming a bitch. And I really resonated with this, right because I have done and I'm by the way, I'm not saying I'm at the final steps of healing. I'm obviously I just had a melt down about the color my chair, and I'm still having a meltdown about it. By the way, I'm looking at the feedback on the camera and I'm like, this is I cannot believe there's share is the same color as the wall, I'm going to cry anyway. I think the final step of healing is being a bitch. I really do, because I think that you have to be so boundaried to be able to accept that you're going to be the villain in people's story. The people who are not willing to admit what they did to you or how they might have impacted you, they need to make you the villain. And I think we all do this, and I, you know, I always try and whenever I'm being accusatory about someone making me the villain, I look at times where I have made other people the villain. And I'm not perfect. My hands are not clean in this either. You know. I think it's human nature to try and rewrite stories so that we're not the bad guy. So I don't think anyone has, you know, a mental disorder or they're a bad person and if they're trying to like rewrite a narrative where they're not the bad guy. But I do think it's it's it's pertinent to understand that you have to be okay with being the villain. You have to be okay with being the bad the bad guy in some people's story because they are not going to have the accountability or the culpability to be the villain. And they're not going to have the growth or the maturity to take accountability and apologize and admit, you know, who they were in the story for real. And I think people are gonna think you're a fucking bitch if you stand up for yourself, if you speak the truth, if you say what's right or what's right in your eyes. You know, it can be wrong in their eyes, right in their eyes or wrong. You know what I'm saying. It can be wrong in their eyes and right in your eyes. There is no real I mean, there's a sense, there's an overall sense of morality right, but there is no real right and wrong. Like we're all varying shades of everything. But but I just do think that, like, you have to be okay with being a bitch, and you have to be okay. And this is something I've been struggling with. This is why I'm saying it to you guys, because every time I say anything out loud, I'm usually struggling with it. I don't like that there's a version of the story where I'm a fucking villain. I don't like that I can't explain my side of the story to people who have painted a different picture of me. But the reality is, if they didn't ask for my side of the story, then the picture that was painted to them is the one that they wanted to accept. So you have to be able to accept that you're the fucking bad guy in a lot of people's stories and you're not the people pleaser in you. Is not going to be able to make everyone love you, care about you, see your side, think you're right. This is something you have to let go of, right and spiritually. One of the most evolved things we can be is not concerned with what people view us as the perception of the outside world is something that is none of our business.
Speaker 2: Oh god, this is It gives me like a fucking heart attack.
Speaker 1: It gives me an actual fucking heart attack every time I have someone at my door. But yeah, all I was saying is you have to be okay with being the bad guy in some some people's stories. You know, like this unhealthy obsession with everyone knowing your truth, your version of events, this, that, and the third. It's none of the It's none of my business. At the end of the day, what you think of me is your business. And you know, the greatest evolution of self is to not care about the perception, to not care about what the fuck people think of you, and to genuinely not care, not to pretend that you don't care, but to genuinely not care and not be bothered, not be concerned by Because I had something plagging me recently where I know a story going around about me is not true, and that makes me furious. But at the end of the day, everyone gets to tell their own story, and everyone gets to have their own version of events, and the people in their circle and in their lives are going to believe to be true their version of events. And that's okay, that's okay. At the end of the day, it all comes out in the wash. And if it doesn't come out in the wash, it comes out in the rinse, bitch, all right, So.
Speaker 2: Just let God take care.
Speaker 1: Of everything, Let Karma do its thing, because like I've said a million times, Karma doesn't miss a fucking doorstep. Okay, Karma does not miss a fucking doorstep. And and that's that. And that's all, folks, that's that's it. On that I think we all just have to be okay with being the bitch. We gotta be okay with being the bitch. And some people start in like people are gonna paint you as the villain because they cannot take accountability, and that's okay, Like what is someone really gonna do? Go around and be like, oh my god, not what they're anymore? Is they cheated on her?
Speaker 2: No, of course not.
Speaker 1: They have to invent a new story. And you know who doesn't participate in reality people with mood disorders. People with mood disorders like narcissism and bipolar don't participate in right reality. So also there's a huge ego component too, Right, there's a huge ego component of us wanting the world to see and perceive us a certain way and knowing that certain information will dam or bastardize the version of ourselves that we want the world to believe we are. So you got a just you just gotta let it roll, Bay, let it roll, besties. I will say this, I didn't think at this big age in my life, I would be using any meany miney mo so much to make decisions. You guys, it is making most of my decisions any meani miney, most of my decisions santrapez yes or no fucking yes, fuck the guy on the street, Nope, what to eat? Yep, like every like, I just it is shocking. How little what's the word I'm looking for? It's a word and it's right there, and it's on the tip of my tongue, but I don't know it because autonomy is not the right word. How little, how few decision making skills I really have. I've just been I think my nervous system is so shocked from all the changes right now that I'm like, I cannot decide between sushi and pizza. That's a crazy thing to ask of a girl. So now a lot of it is Eni media minemo and someone is like, well, you know, that's like formulaic and you can decide it. But I haven't figured out the formula yet. I haven't figured it out, and I don't want to because it's making all my decisions and it's doing a pretty good job. So if you're in a gym, just use Eni media minimo. Tell Alexa to flip a coin, just, do you know, leave it to fate. I think, and I guess Enie meanie Manuma is not fat whatever anyway, I will say going to Nashville really was a big turning point for me. I felt like very healed after that. There's something about my friendship with THEO that just feels so nurturing and special, and he's just so kind and wonderful and caring and also like funny and you know, can make a joke of anything. So I just feel so lucky to have that friendship and to have him to kind of check me, keep me in check. I'm going to talk a little bit more about Nashville on the Patreon because some fun things did happen, but they don't feel like they're for public consumption. Even though I've had the argument that Patreon is public, I will die on a hill that it's not. And then their counter argument was like, are you telling me that Netflix isn't public because you can pay for Netflix? And I was like, you're making a really good point, but I'm still gonna die on this bucket. I'm still gonna fucking die on this hill that people have to pay to hear me talk a dish little shit. It's not just out there. You gotta pay the big bucks. And by the way, all of you who have joined the Patreon, I love you so much. I feel like we're a little family. I'm so grateful for you, and I'm so grateful to have that like portion of our week to just hang out with each other and you know, talk more shit. And I have some like juicy fun stuff for today. But I told you I'm being a heeled bitch and being am I. I'm doing my best to be as healed as possible and not talk shit on the podcast anymore. How am I doing? You guys can tell me later. I will say this. Did I say this already? The price gouging in New York City is out of control. It's absolutely out of control. I was gonna get groceries delivered the other day because I wanted to make this healthy soup before I go to San Trepez. I was like, I need my waistline. I can't find it. I can't find it. Has anyone seen it? Turns out no, nobody's seen it. But I was gonna make this soup, and I was on Instacart shopping at this place called west Side Market. Bay leaves. Bay leaves were thirteen dollars. I'm like, you mean the mythical things we throw in soup and nobody's sure if they actually do anything at all? Those are thirteen dollars. Are you guys on fucking crank? What are you smoking? And can I have some? And then eggs fifteen dollars? And I was like, hey, man, do you want to shit in my fucking mouth? I don't know. This feels illegal. All everything feels illegal. I'm gonna call the police and or Mundani because I probably can get his private line, like this is who can afford to live here? Who can afford this shit? It's crazy? And so I didn't want to, but I you know, I didn't want to schlep again. But Trader Joe's is my saving grace. It is the only reason I'm gonna be able to eat in this town. It's because eggs there are four dollars, and bay leaves are four dollars like they should be like at Like who cranked those prices up ten dollars each? That's crazy, It's fucking crazy. Anyway, I'm doing great. I can't wait to go to santra Pez. The next time you guys see me, I will be in a hotel in santra Pez and we're gonna bootstrap a little episode together. Because you know me, Mom's going on vacation, but I'm taking my besties. I'm taking my babies. Pack your bags, grab your passports. We're going to santrape honeys. Okay, you guys, There's one more thing I want to talk to you guys about before we leave.
Speaker 2: Before we leave, because we're all going together, we're all no.
Speaker 1: I do have to go. I have to go get a spray TN and a blowout and do all of the things before I leave for sant Trope. I'm leaving to Brown Night. I still have to pack. Oh my god, I need a personal assistant. I need someone else to just do my life for me. But there's one thing I want to talk about, and I'm gonna say right now, there's spoilers. Here's there's spoilers here. If you guys haven't watched Maternal Instinct, turn the podcast off if you want to watch it, because I need to talk about this motherfucking documentary. This is the most haunted, fucking documentary ever seen my entire life. And I was trying to tell a friend the other day to watch it. I was like, you have to see this. It's the most unhinged documentary I have ever seen in my entire life, and she's like, isn't that the one where a woman like kills a baby or something? And I was like, yes, but that's not even really the problem, Like that's not even top ten of the problems here. So basically, the documentary starts, and this isn't a spoiler. It starts with this woman getting pulled over. She has a baby in her lap and she's covered in blood. She goes to the hospital. The blood's not hers, the baby's not hers, and she said, she just gave birth to this baby. The baby's dead. Then this whole documentary pops the fuck off about this woman who is basically just this fucking pathological liar, and she couldn't physically have babies anymore. She had already had two, and she had a hysterectomy, and she was with this guy who didn't they they hadn't been together that long, but he wanted her to be in love and he was. She was like, Oh, if I get pregnant with this kid, he'll love me. And then she like buys a fake pregnancy belly and does all this durain shit, like you want to talk about committing to the fucking bit like I think we could all commit to the bit more like this documentary taught me.
Speaker 2: That we could all be fucking crazier.
Speaker 1: We have not been letting our freak flags fly, and we need to a little bit. Like this woman faked an entire pregnancy, And then I won't completely give away what happens, but like this bitch plotted and plotted and plotted, and then.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna say it.
Speaker 1: She fucking murders a woman who's pregnant and cuts the baby out of her and is trying to pretend it's her baby. In what world is that ever gonna work? In what world is that gonna fly? And I think we can all just be crazier. And she had a long history of lying. She had a long history of pathological lying about illness, which which is just something that I think is so interesting because this is something my mom did. My mom would often fake illnesses because I think there's a medical term for it. I could be wrong. This is when it would be nice if Mike was here. I think it's called malingering. I could be wrong, though, When you have a mental illness but you're not getting the attention you want for the mental illness, so you fake a physical illness because what you want is sympathy and attention, and you want that because of your mental illness, but you're not getting it. So you're like, oh, if I have cancer, I will get the attention I need. My mom at one point was saying she had lung cancer. She never had lung cancer. She had and maybe in bacterium infection, which is like a lung disease, but she didn't have lung cancer. And it's just such an interesting phenomenon to me, these people that will just go to such great lengths to get attention instead of just going to therapy. I'm like, hey, babe, take yourself to the fucking therapist, pop your little tush in a therapy chair, and figure out what the fuck is wrong with you before you cut a baby out of a woman to pretend it's yours so guy will say he loves you when he never loved you.
Speaker 2: It really stresses me out.
Speaker 1: The whole documentary gave me nightmares and stressed me the fuck out, So if you don't want nightmares or to be stressed, I wouldn't watch it. And also I just ruined the whole documentary for you. So I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry, but I did tell you to turn the podcast off if you wanted to watch it. Bruh, that documentary gave me nightmares. Like I told you, I'm already not sleeping right now. Insomnia is a motherfucker. I mean, a good night's rest can really cure anything, you know. I was so excited. Last night was my first night where I was like, I'm not gonna take any sleeping pills to sleep. I'm just gonna sleep. I don't have anything to do this morning. I'm just gonna get through the night. I'm gonna fucking raw on it. And I fell asleep on my own, by the grace of God. And then a fly that got into my apartment decided it was fucking on. Like Donkey Kong, this fly kept fucking landing on me. I kept getting think, I was getting thinking I was getting bit by mosquitoes. I forgot about mosquitoes, you guys. I am from Wisconsin. So this weather that's going on in New York right now is very similar to Wisconsin. Like hot Summer's Buggy, Muggy, the whole nine. I'm so spoiled. I'm so used to living in la where it's just seventeen two and seveny all the time. The weather's perfect, there's no bugs, there's nothing going on. Nature's not trying to fuck with you. This whole city's trying to fuck with me. Oh. Another thing I will say is the trash trucks. It feels like an inside job. The garbage trucks, it feels like nine to eleven. I'll be honest, like it feels like an attack. I think they come every night. I don't think they have a night off. And it's like between three and four in the morning, they're just like dorshe doushsh like banging outside of my windows. I'm like, what, I understand that this city is filled to the brim with trash, and I don't know what they're doing with the trash. I think they're just sending it off to sea. I think there's I'm pretty sure there's a floating island of trash shit in the middle of the Hudson. I'm not and I know the Hudson's not the sea, but you know what I'm saying, I'm pretty sure there's a trash island somewhere. I wonder what the rent's like. There. I wonder if it's che to live there, because maybe I'll move to Trash Island and just become one with the trash, return to my roots. You know, wants a trash bitch, always a trash bitch. And uh so, yeah, that's it. That's all I've got for this week. I know it's a short episode. I'm sorry, I'm cramming. I'm struggling to get this shit done. If you are doing the artist's way with me, I'll come on the little journey with me to do the artist's way. If not, besties and you want a little more tea, come to the Patreon because the Patreon is where it's mother the fucking at. And I'm in there and I'm responding to your comments. And if you guys have any questions, if you want to DM me anything, I'm in there. I'll respond. I'll say what's up. I'll kikey with you guys about whatever. I have nothing better to do. The next week I might be a little touch and go because I will be in Santralpe. But after that I am free, like a bird, free like my little trash shit birds that are on my balcony that I love so much. These birds are little spirit animals. And you know what, every once in a while, I'm just ripping a sig talking to a pigeon. And that is what my life is looking like in New York City, babes. But I do have to stop smoking cigarettes. It's getting old, and I'm it's gonna make me old. It's gonna age. It's aging me like the devil, and.
Speaker 2: I'm like wheezing. I'm like, it's not a vibe.
Speaker 1: But anyway, besties, I love you so much, thanks for hanging out with me and my monochrome apartment and chairs. And I'll, you know, have a panic attack about it next week, I'm sure. Okay, Week nine of the Artist's Way, you guys, we are recovering a sense of compassion this week. And you know what, I didn't read this chapter, so I have to do that right now. Bye. All right, you guys. Did I have a nuclear mental breakdown earlier about the color of these chairs? I sure did? But then guess what. I contacted Quints the place I got them from, and they're like, we can just swap them out for the tope ones and we'll come get these. And I was like, would you look at God? That is just another moment, you guys. I had body anxiety earlier. I almost canceled my trip to France because I was like, I can't go to France when I look like I'm levitating, when I look like I'm a Laddin on a magic fucking carpet doing this podcast. So anyway, I gotta blow out. I emailed Quints and now everything's fine, baby girls, going to France. We're not gonna worry about the fucking chairs that match the walls. We're not gonna have a mental breakdown like that again. And that is something that I need to put in my godbox and just remember next time i'm having a fucking freak out, a fucking panic attack. And for those of you who don't know what a godbox is, godbox is a place you put a situation that worked out for you, just find but you freaked out about it in the moment. So this one's going in the godbox. And yeah, soon it's gonna look better. The production on this podcast will be higher quality. I'm very sorry you guys that were in the shit together like this, but you know what, at least we're together and I love that, all right, you guys, come hop on over to the patreon. Mama's got tea for you. I want to hang out with you. And the hill I will die on is that the patreon's not public because you have to pay to get there, you know. And uh so it's not public, it's private. It's just the three of us having a sleepover because we're girls and we're braiding each other's hair. That's what's going on in the Patreon. We're braiding each other's hair and telling each other's secrets and it's a safe space. And I think, oh, I think I got the ops out of there. I think I got the ops out of there. I don't know if I got the ops out of there, But come join us on the Patreon, and I have for those of you doing the Artist's Way with me. I do have the Artist's Way, and we're gonna do that because I promised you that we would. Where's my book?
Speaker 2: Ah, life is so hard? I found it.
Speaker 1: Mike. I know you were so worried about me. I wonder if Mike even watches this. I don't think he does. Anyway, you guys, we are on week nine for the Artist Way. Bestie is recovering a sense of compassion this week is so important. Okay, so we name our behavior incorrectly. If we're an artist that wants to create and we don't, we often call ourselves lazy. But we're not lazy. We're blocked and we have to move through those blocks with compassion in order to get to the other side in order to make anything. So this is not merely an accurate it's cruel saying that that's laziness. It's cruel. Accuracy and compassion serve us far better. Being blocked and being lazy are two different things. The blocked artist spends energy on self hatred, on regret, grief, and on jealousy. Do not call the inability to start laziness. Call it fear, because that's what it is. We're fucking afraid, right. It's fear of failure, fear of success, most importantly, fear of abandonment, fear that we create something from our hearts and people don't like it. I struggled with this immensely when I first started stand up full time. I'm like, I pour my soul out on stage and when people don't like it, it hits different because I'm not like Jerry Seinfeld. I'm like Oh, what I noticed about public restrooms is da da da, You know, Like, no, I'm like, my mom killed hers all three days before my wedding. And when people don't laugh at that, I'm like, I just I feel completely exposed. So there is a fear of putting something out there that people don't like. And if it's so special to you and so you're so vulnerable that if they don't like it right away, then perhaps we could be in a bit of a pickle. Right. Fear has its roots in childhood reality. Most blocked artists tried to become artists against either parents good wishes or their parents good judgment. For youngsters, this is quite a conflict. So this is interesting. My experience is actually different. I didn't become a creative person out of I wasn't rebelling against my parents, right, Like, my dad always wanted me to have a nine to five and to have stability. My mom always was like, you're going to be the most famous person in the world, And there was such a crushing amount of pressure to be good at things that I genuinely was not good at. Like she would drive me to Chicago once a week to go to acting classes, and I stunk.
Speaker 2: I was so bad. I didn't know what I was doing.
Speaker 1: I didn't even feel like literally, for the first thirteen years of my life, I didn't feel like I was even in my body, like I didn't connect to myself. I couldn't connect to people around me. I couldn't connect to an audience when I was on stage.
Speaker 2: I just and I.
Speaker 1: Really had such a complicated relationship with my mom that whatever she wanted for me, I did not want. So I spent my life rebelling against everything my mom wanted for me. My mom worked out twenty four to seven. She ate healthy, she had a bit of an eating disorder, and she wanted me to be a fucking actress. And I was like, I'm going to eat McDonald's all the time. I'm never gonna work out again after I'm done with high school volleyball, and I'm going to get a day job. And I did all those things, and I accidentally found creativity. I didn't think, Oh, I'm some creative person that's like dying to break out of this shell. But what I did find is when I worked in advertising and I was writing, I didn't like that the clients told me what was good and what wasn't good. I liked being I liked being my own north Star. So that's how I found it. I found it by happenstance. But a lot of blocked creatives are people that wanted to be creatives and their parents urged them to not be, and then you know, they do it against their parents will, and then you have to be great, right, And then you have in your mind, I have to be great. I have to be the best singer. I have to be the best writer. I have to be the best director. I have to be the best, best, best, because if I'm going to rebel, I have to be the best. And that is such a high bar that it's hard to get started when your expectation is to be the best, right, because then you're just setting yourself up for this crushing level of disappointment. And I have done that in my life before. Where I launched right after the right before the pandemic, I launched something called Ho to Go, which was this brand. It was like an overnight bag for girls who went out to clubs, went home with dudes, and in the morning you have to like wake up and put dress and your dress and your heels on and you have like crusty makeup on your face and you don't have to, like it's a bad place to be in. So the HO to Go bag was like leggings, t shirt, sunglasses, makeup, wipe, advil, hair tie, little jewelry pouch, a tote for your bag from thee for your clothes from the night before, like flip flops. It was like this whole thing. And I was like, I'm going to be on Forbes list next year. I'm gonna look out Kylie Jenner because I'm going to be on Forbes list. Guess what I wasn't. And then the pandemic hit and hoes were not going, hose were held hostage, and I had to donate all of those bags to a women's shelter. And here's the thing, because my expectations of success were so high that when I didn't hit those marks, it felt crushing. There was no greater failure in my life than How to Go, and I felt so sad. But when your expectations are just to start and just to get in the mix, then all you ever are is pleasantly surprised. And that has been my experience with comedy is I just wanted to get in the mix. I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring and let everyone know that I had one or two things to say. I didn't have expectations to be the best, or to be the greatest, or to be anything.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I have no lofty goals, and not in like an impending doom way, even though that is my brand, just in like a I don't. I do not expect to be the highest paid comedian. I don't expect to be in the conversation of the top ten. I don't have any of those expectations. I just want to speak my truth and whoever it resonates with and whoever it helps heal, those are my people, and that's it. That's the only reason I'm creating in this field, and so I think that's important. So yeah, what I said is the need to be a great artist makes it hard to be an artist. The need to produce great work of art makes it hard to produce any art at all. You need help from your higher power, from your friends, from everyone in order to get anything out. For me and my first special, you know, how to Housewife? I called everyone I knew from advertising, and I said homies were phoned in a favor, can we throw this special together? And I had some friends like bootstrap it, and it it went great. Like I was talk about synchronicity, the universe lined up with that and was like yes, the clips went viral, like the numbers were great. Everything, everything worked way beyond my wildest dreams of how I ever expected it to work. And then here's the other thing. We need. Enthusiasm, right, Enthusiasm is in the short it's talking about discipline here right, Like discipline is important, but enthusiasm is really what you need. By its very nature. Discipline is rooted in self admiration. We admire ourselves for being so wonderful. But over any extended period of time, being an artist requires enthusiasm more than discipline. It's a spiritual commitment, a loving surrender to our creative process, a loving recognition of all of the creativity around us. Enthusiasm from the Greek word filled with God, is an ongoing energy supply. It tapped into the flow of life, itself grounded in play. And here's the thing I will hear people out for the case that discipline is important. I really think it is important. I think if you sit down to write once a week or twice a week or four times a week. However many times you sit down to write, something will come out. You cannot wait to be inspired all the time. You do need to have a bit of discipline, and there does need to be a bit of a schedule. But what needs to come with that is enthusiasm, which is the energy to bring something beautiful to life. And just remember your inner artist is a child and it needs to be treated as such. And the only way to really get kids to do anything is to play. And so you just have to remember to be playful. Even though it might be a little bit structured, there does need to be a sense of play, and just be cognizant for creative U turns. You know, when you're about to reach success or when you're about to put something out and you want to fucking turn around, You want a board ship, you want to burn it to the fucking ground. Look out, because that is that's fear, that that's a blurt, that's something that you you don't want. When I was about to put out How to Housewife, I emailed my manager and said, I don't want to put this out anymore. I'm going through a divorce. I'm not a housewife. None of this is true, and I don't want this to exist, and he respectfully told me to fuck off. He said, respectfully, we have the deal, we have the launch date. It's happening. We're putting it out. And thank god for that, because left my own defenses, I would not have put out How to Housewife. I would have not put out Horney. You guys know how much I fucking hated that special. The only special I would have put out is Sorry Dad, which is the least viewed special. So it's just interesting. Just just remember you do not always know what's best, and if there's if you're getting close to creating something or accomplishing something and you try and steer the show so it crashes onto the shore, just no, just no, that's very normal, but just don't do it. So you got to blast through your blocks right in order to work really on a project, and artists must be at least functionally free of resentment, which is anger, and resistance, which is fear. Remember your artist is a creative child. It sulks, throws tantrums, hold grudges, harbor's irrational fear. Like most children, it's afraid of the dark. The Boogeyman and the Adventure that isn't safely scary. Your artist's parent and guardian. It's big brother, warrior and companion. It falls to you to convince your artists it's safe to come out and play. So, yeah, you guys, it's week nine. We're fucking cruising here. I'm so proud of you guys for doing this. I know there's at least ten of us doing it. Don't forget your tasks, don't forget your artists days dates, don't forget your morning pages. I'm gonna be so honest. I haven't been doing morning pages because no, because nothing. Because I haven't been doing them because I don't know where my journals are in all of my boxes. And I ran out my journal that I was journaling and ran out the second I moved to New York, and so I haven't been doing that. And just because I said it out loud, I'm going to start tomorrow. I'm going to open these last four boxes and I'm going to find it. If you're doing the work, I'm really proud of you. Besties. DM me let me know you're at how it's feeling, what's shaking loose? Some of you have sent me some really cool messages about things that have happened in synchronicity and thoughts, feelings, all the things. So just let me know how it's going. Besties, Okay, I love you so much.