Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. If you have a comment, email it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, Follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com, slash Radio Detectives, and check out our YouTube archive YouTube dot Great Detectives dot net. Today's program is brought to you in part by the financial support of our listeners. You can support the show on a one time basis support dot Great Detectives dot net. You can also become one of our ongoing Patreon contributors at Patreon dot Great Detectives dot net. Over at Great Detectives dot net. This weekend, check out my review of the first season of Blackjack Justice and you can get all of our articles automatically delivered to your Kindle and you can try that service out free for two weeks. Just search for the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio and the Kindle Store. Now it's time for today's episode of Dragnet. The original air at eight November the second of nineteen fifty two, and this is the big light.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, the story you were about to hear is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. You're a detective sergeant. You're assigned a homicide detail. You receive a call that a fatal accident has occurred at a Hollywood Motion picture studio. Your job investigate.
Speaker 3: Dragnet. The document a drama of an actual crime. For the next thirty minutes, in cooperation with the Los Angeles Police Department, you will travel step by step on the side of the law through an actual case transcribed from official police violence, from beginning to end, from crime to punishment. Dragnet is the story of your police force in action.
Speaker 4: It was Friday, August fifth. It was warm in Los Angeles. We were working to day watch out a homicide detail. My partner is Frank Smith. The boss's captain Mormon. My name is Friday. It was two twenty five pm when we got to the Winton Picture Studios Stage two. Better check the guard over there, you know, yes, helping police officers about the accident. Where do we find mister Adams.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, I should look for you. See. I saw him around here a minute ago. M Oh, there he is over there by that office.
Speaker 6: See him and won the blue suit on with the gray hair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you very much.
Speaker 6: All right, I know all you gonna check with the office that they can come up with an idea.
Speaker 2: I'll go for it.
Speaker 6: All I know is that we got to have this tuck you finished?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so you want yes you Gerald Adam, that's right. Police officers, all right?
Speaker 7: D Card Oh yeah, Friday, huh yes, it's my partner, Frank Smith.
Speaker 6: Hi, how much you know about this?
Speaker 4: Well? Doctor down at Georgia Street told us that Henry Wilson had an accident as.
Speaker 6: A right, Yeah, yeah here was a director?
Speaker 4: What she thought he was? I wonder if we could see where the accident happened.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure, I're on stage one, just across the way. Hold on, man, will you I'd like to talk to Sam for a minute, try to get things organized here, to get things moving in Yeah right here, just wait here on the right back.
Speaker 4: Okay, buy the place, un Joe. Yeah, a lot of room, it's big stage in there. Yeah. You know all this the average person doesn't stop thinking about it. What's that? You know?
Speaker 7: Sal lays out eighty five cents to a movie. Ever thinks about all the people, all the equipment goes into making it possible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's haorry to keep your way.
Speaker 4: Terrible thing.
Speaker 6: We're twelve days behind schedule. Now, this was probably not a couple more days off. Exects gonna scream like an ego when he sees what this hops has cost here right through his story right ones right over there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sir, what if you'd mind filling us in on this thing? Yeah? Sure?
Speaker 6: What can I do to help?
Speaker 4: Well, if you can't tell us how the body was found, who found it, how the accident occurred.
Speaker 6: Well, as near as I can figure, it must have happened about twelve ten twelve fifteen, crowd rug for lunch some more over the commissary I came down from the office and want to talk to Henry about tomorrow's schedule. One try to change some of the shots, you know, make them more simple. He wasn't in the lunch room, so I went ahead and had lunch about let's see, I think he was about twelve forty eleven's a greenery man came in told me he'd found Henry's body. A lamp had fallen on him. John fool yellows all out that everybody in the place hurt him. I see, well, I came right over first, looked like Henry was dead. He'd lost a lot of blood. Called his false found out he was still alive. That's when I had the ambulance called here we are right, yeah, thank you, we're here with the boss said.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: At the time, those big doors were open. The green men were putting in this shrubbery here. After I found out about the accident, I had the doors closed so people wouldn't be roaming in and out.
Speaker 4: All the doors usually left open.
Speaker 6: Usually I when there's no shooting on the stage when we're using it, their closes. All right, here's where he was found. You can see the lamp, but the sun arc must to hit him right about here, poor guy.
Speaker 4: Is that where the lamp fell from up there?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Yeah, there you can see on the scaffolding where it was between the babies and space there.
Speaker 4: Who puts the lamps up there?
Speaker 6: Well, it's in the gaffers department.
Speaker 4: He's in charge of me. What if we could talk to him?
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure, he's over on two alcohol.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 7: Big lamp huh yeah, sure, Spanish step in it. St thing must weigh a couple hundred pounds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look up there. It's quite a job. Figure, it's about forty feet up there. What do you think? Oh? Yeah, that anyway, he's way over. What's your position here, mister Adams, I'm.
Speaker 6: Production supervisor you' and augh manager a lot of names for it. I try to take care of the running of the company as far as this one picture's concerned, to make out the budgets, work on the schedule, and director or things like that. Really hard say just what my job is, so I do a little of everything, Yes, sir, you fos from homicide, Yes, sir, that's right. Do you think that there's something wrong here? Maybe Henry's accident wasn't an accident or something.
Speaker 4: Well, it's just in any death where there isn't a doctor in the tenants at the time of death, we have a look into. It's just routine.
Speaker 6: I thought the manager might think there was some fishy about this. That's all we need. I have murder on us. That might as well fold up.
Speaker 5: Ah, hi, Jerry, you want to see me?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Dick. These officers like to ask you a couple of questions. Sure, this is mister Friday, mister Smith, Dick Patterson our gap.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, mister Patterson, What.
Speaker 6: Do you want to know?
Speaker 4: Well, mister Adams here tells us that you were in charge of installing those lamps. Is that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: Are you trying to say I had anything to do with cousin Henry's death?
Speaker 4: Oh else, you wouldn't say that.
Speaker 5: What are you saying?
Speaker 4: But we're just trying to get the fact straight.
Speaker 6: No need to get upset.
Speaker 5: Well, what are you talking about?
Speaker 6: These cops come in here, Try to make out I didn't put those lamps in Rice, not what they said. Well, won't you think I feel bad enough? Henry was a good friend of mine. We've been together a long time. I don't know how the lamp got loose.
Speaker 4: Wonder if we could look at its mounting?
Speaker 6: Sure I wanted to get up there anyway, look at it myself. Jerry here said not to touch anything till you guys got here.
Speaker 4: Okay, how do we get up there?
Speaker 6: There's a ladder back here at the weirdest stage. I can't understand it, mister Friday. I've been hanging last for a long time. It's going to the years. First time anything like this ever happened. Oh here, it is just going up. Okay, watch your step.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you go ahead, Yeah, okay, Yeah, we can get there down this way.
Speaker 4: These walks to hang the lights on, do they?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You gotta be awfully careful, watch your step. It's a long way down.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Once in a while, if you want a real high shot of scene, we lift the camera up here.
Speaker 5: Mostly though, it's us just for lights. Hear it. I you can see there where.
Speaker 4: The light was, yeah, sir, I appreciate it. If you didn't touch anything, I just stand back there.
Speaker 5: Sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, base of the lamp went through this hole.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's right. Yeah, look at the one over there the same way.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Do you have anything else securing the lights once they're tied down? O, sir.
Speaker 6: Once they're in place the way that the thing itself will hold it.
Speaker 4: In other words, you drill this hole, replaced the lamp in the hole, and it could It doesn't look like a wood is chip, does it. No?
Speaker 6: These scaffolds are pretty new. This stage hasn't been up more in a year.
Speaker 7: Well, from what you see, mister Patterson, can you figure out how the lamp might have fallen, how it could have broken loose?
Speaker 6: I I'll tell you off, sir, Bob. That's my best boy. Bob and I were over here last night checking the lights in the set. Now, I didn't actually get up here myself, but Bob did. He's a good boy, he's been around a long time, doesn't make mistakes like this. He secured this lamp himself, and I know it was right.
Speaker 4: Well, then if you got any idea how it might have fallen.
Speaker 6: None at all. A matter of fact, I don't think it did, sir. I don't think it did fall I think it was dropped.
Speaker 4: Three point fifteen pm, Frank and I went back to stage two. We talked to Bob Murphy, the Best Boy, and got the same story from him. He said that he'd secured the lamp and positioned himself and that as far as he was concerned, it could not have fallen. He agreed with Dick Patterson that the lamp must have been removed from its place and either dropped or was thrown at Wilson. At this point there was the possible that the death was not an accident. We asked the unit manager to assign one of the studio police to guard the scene of the accident, and then we called the crime lab. Dean Bergman lifted several clean prints from the broken lens of the lamp. Bob Murphy's fingerprints were taken and they matched those found in the lamp. There were no other prints on the glass. The men from the crime lab found a small piece of blue cloth on the mounting of the lamp. Lee Jones put it in a no envelope and gave it to me. At four twenty pm, we talked to Gerald Adams in one of the portable dressing rooms.
Speaker 6: I just can't believe it. There were a lot of people in town that didn't like Henry, but I don't think there was anyone that had kill him.
Speaker 4: Was there anyone in the company that he had any disagreements with? Would you know what do you mean? Well? Anyone he had crawls with arguments? Would you know?
Speaker 6: Well, I guess Sam would be the most likely. They argued all the time. Sam, Yeah, Sam Phillips. She's a first assistant director, real talented guy. Been had in a long time. He and Henry worked together for a long time. They were always arguing. I guess you didn't know of You might think they were serious, but here in the company we all knew, we understood, understood what well Sam's been in Hollywood almost since it was. He began as a prop man, where his way up to be a cutter. Then I guess about fifteen years ago he went into directing. He's going to get a picture of his own pretty soon. He'll do well too, real talent.
Speaker 7: Well about these arguments, mister Adams, between Wilson and Phillips, Well.
Speaker 6: I understand him. You'd have to know Henry. He was one of the first directors in pictures, came out here from New York even before Sam did. Really all school. He drove special cars, most of them pure white, had all these clothes designed and made. He wore a cape while he was on the set. You know, referred to himself as Wilson. You know, Wilson thinks this. Wilson thinks that if you didn't know him, you take him seriously. Once you did that, you were in trouble.
Speaker 4: Were you ever present when one of these arguments took place?
Speaker 6: Yeah, matter of fact, they had one yesterday and so yeah, over in the commissary, I thought for a minute was going to be pretty serious, and then I realized there was all a gag. Everyone else did too.
Speaker 4: What was it about?
Speaker 6: Well, like I told you, the pictures twelve days over now a lot of tension on the stage. Everyone's pretty edgy. Well, Sam's a great practical joker, you know. I was trying to cook up something. Most of the time, the jokes do the job. They give everybody a laugh. They all feel a little better. Well, day before yes, today, Sam got one of the set dresses and took a cement deer. You know, the kind people used to have in their front lawns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I know they mean.
Speaker 6: Well, the two of them caught it, this deer down the parking lot and put it in the back seat to Henry's car. Planted it so the deer was looking right at Henry when he get in the driver's seat. I think weighed about two hundred and fifty pounds. Once they got it in, Henry couldn't get it out.
Speaker 4: He tried that night.
Speaker 6: He couldn't make it.
Speaker 4: He didn't think it was very funny.
Speaker 6: No, No, he had to leave it in the car all night, drove home with it next morning when he checked in the lot. He'd tried to get it out again. While he was trying, the horns and the thing tore up the upholstery in his car. Really ripped it up the pieces well, finally Henry got a hammer and broke the thing up, smashed it in the little pieces and threw them all out of the car, left them right in front of the scene dock.
Speaker 4: Was that when he and Philip said the argument no no.
Speaker 6: Yesterday morning, when Wilson got on the set, he wasn't saying anything anybody. All the crew knew about the deer and they were all waiting for him to say something about it, but he didn't. He just drove the crew through the morning setups. The argument took place at lunchtime. Know, Henry went until the whole crew he was having lunch, and then he stormed into the cafe. He walked over to Sam, really read him off, called him a child. He said that if he'd spend a little more time doing his work and less time playing around, the picture wouldn't be so far over scheduled. Really made him look like a fool. Argument went on for about fifteen minutes. What was Sam doing all this time when he just sat there? And then finally he got up and grabbed Henry. He kind of shook him. Said he'd never been talking to like that before, and it wasn't gonna happen again, said he'd kill Henry next time he did it. Well, Henry looked pretty scared. Sam's a big man, you know. I think if he made up his mind to do it, he could have broken Henry in two. Sam looked at Henry for a minute, and then he laughed. Then Henry started to laugh too, and then the whole place. I guess it's like laughing in a horror picture. Anything to break the tension look real tight. Even I wasn't sure it was a joke.
Speaker 4: You know, you said that Sam lifted this deer into the car by himself.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't know if he did it by himself, but I know he could lift it without help. How much did you say that that deer weighed more about two hundred and fifty pounds?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 4: Well, I was just thinking that's about what that big lamp weight, didn't it. Three forty five pm Frank called the office and had Ur and I run the name Sam Phillips and Henry Wilson. Sam Phillips had been arrested once for disturbing the peace. He'd gotten drunk in a nightclub out on Sunset Boulevard and gotten into a fight. The report said that it had taken both of the arresting officers to subdue him and take him into custody. There was no record on Henry Wilson. We continued to talk to the crew. Each one of them told us about the arguments between Phillips and Wilson, but most of the people we talked to didn't share Adam's idea that the arguments were just a joke. The script girl told us that on at least three occasions, members of the crew had had to keep them apart, and that Sam Phillips had said he'd kill Wilson. We asked each of them if they'd seen anyone enter or leave the stage at approximately the time of the accident. None of them had. They explained that Wilson had been trying to pick up time, and that as soon as they'd finished one shot, he was yelling at them to get ready for the next one. Four twenty two pm. We talked to Sam Phillips.
Speaker 9: Sure we had some beefs. None of them were serious.
Speaker 4: So this fight you had in the commisary yesterday, I.
Speaker 9: Mean a thing about the deer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that didn't mean anything.
Speaker 10: Oh, I mean I was pretty sore for a minute, but right away I knew Henry wasn't serious. Yeah, if he was, I guess I can understand it. I must have made him pretty shorre to see his.
Speaker 4: Car ripped up. Did you left that deer into Wilson's car by yourself?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I had one of the set dressers with me. He kind of steered the thing in. Surely kind of funny.
Speaker 4: You sure you weren't over on stage one today? Positive you got any idea of how that light got loose and fell?
Speaker 10: No, I've been in the business a long time. That's the first time I've ever known a lamp to fall. They've been tipped over when on a floor stand, and I've seen him broken when of the set his moved. I've ever seen one drop like that.
Speaker 4: Do you have any idea how that's going to happen?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 4: Not the slightest your first assistant, is that right? Yeah? How long you been in this job? All?
Speaker 10: I guess about fifteen years now? Is a cutter for a while. Took a big cutting salary to go into directing. Figured to be a way to get a picture of my own. A lot of directors come from the cutting department, that's how, Yeah, they do. I didn't care much for it, though. I like to be on the set see things happen.
Speaker 9: I like the activity.
Speaker 4: Did Wilson know that you wanted to be a director?
Speaker 10: Yeah, he said that if I stayed with him, he'd try to get the to give me a picture. Matter of fact, I kind of thought I might get this one.
Speaker 4: Is that right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I was in the pre planning stages. They hadn't assigned a man to it yet, and Jerry and.
Speaker 4: I both wanted it. Jerry, you mean Adams.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he wants to be a director too. It's funny.
Speaker 10: I guess everyone wants to be a director. Jerry's been trying for a long time. I don't think he'll ever make it, though, all right, Yeah, he's too valuable as a unit manager.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Was Adams very upset when he didn't get this picture?
Speaker 9: No, I was pretty sore. I told Jerry about it.
Speaker 10: He just sat back and said that's the way things are, and that doesn't pay to fight the front office.
Speaker 4: Did you say anything to Wilson about how you felt? Yeah? I told him.
Speaker 10: Said I thought I was real unfair, said I thought he could have done something about him.
Speaker 9: What did he say, told me to be patient, my time would come.
Speaker 4: Do you know if there was anybody on the lot who might have wanted to kill Wilson?
Speaker 10: No, oh, there might have been some people who didn't like him very much, But you're run into that in almost every picture, you know, little jealousies, right, Yeah, you really think he was killed.
Speaker 4: Though it could have been? Yeah, sure, hard to believe.
Speaker 10: We've been making pictures about this for a long time, you know, murders. Now that it's really on the set, it makes you feel you can just check ahead in the script and find out who the killer is. Read about the ending kind of seems just like another picture.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I suppose so. Yeah, come in.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know he had somebody here with you.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, mister Patterson. What is it?
Speaker 6: I wonder if I could talk to you? Sure, well, it's kind of private.
Speaker 4: If you're through it with me, I'll get back to where all you just wait, I'll be right back here. We step out here. Okay, now, what is it, miss Peterson?
Speaker 6: I feel like a real idiot. I should have remembered it when you talked to me before.
Speaker 4: What's that, sir?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 6: I remember just before the company broke for lunch. Sam gave me a note, said I should give it to Wilson. Did you see what it was?
Speaker 5: No, it was folded up, had Wilson's name on it.
Speaker 6: I didn't pay much attention to it.
Speaker 4: What did you give it to him?
Speaker 6: Yeah? He read it and then he said he had to leave the set for a few minutes.
Speaker 4: Said to be right back. He left the stage. Then, Yeah, where was Sam at this time?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: You see, he gave me the note just outside the door to the stage.
Speaker 5: I was bringing in some.
Speaker 6: More lights, and right after he handed it to me he left, Uh, headed for stage one.
Speaker 3: You are listening to Dragnet, the authentic story of your police force election.
Speaker 4: We talked to Gerald Adams and had two of the studio police start a search for the note. Frank called Georgia Street Receiving Hospital and asked if the note had been found on the body of Henry Wilson. The doctor told us that he didn't know, and that the dead man's personal effects had been turned over to the coroner. We called them and they told us that there was nothing of that description found. While the search for the missing note went on, we continued to talk to Sam Phillips.
Speaker 10: The whole idea is crazy. I told you I wasn't near stage one at all this morning. How about the note, I don't remember any note. Well, like Apper says, he gave it to him, told him to give it to Wilson.
Speaker 4: He's crazy.
Speaker 10: If I had a note for Wilson had given it to him myself, I'm with him all day.
Speaker 9: I've got no reason to have someone else deliver messages for me.
Speaker 4: Well, then you deny giving him the note, Is that right?
Speaker 9: Well, certainly, Bride.
Speaker 7: We'll let you know just how you stay in. We got a witness who says you were seeing going to stage one. A couple of minutes later, a man is killed on the same stage. You would admit that you've had arguments with Wilson. Seems like you might have had a MODI for killing him.
Speaker 10: I told you I didn't go near the place. Hey, wait a minute, Yeah, I know what's happened.
Speaker 4: What's that?
Speaker 10: Well, when Dick told you he saw me heading for stage one, he probably saw me heading for the office. I have to pass near the stage to get their a matter of fact, I even cut through it once in a while.
Speaker 4: Did you happen to cut through it today.
Speaker 9: No, at least I don't think.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 4: That's pretty important that you remember.
Speaker 10: I'm trying, let's see, I know what you guys think. I don't know how to show you that you're wrong. Can you come up with an explanation for the note?
Speaker 9: Well, I'm trying to tell you. I don't know.
Speaker 10: That's what he's talking about. What I did give Dick a note and told him to give it to Henry.
Speaker 4: What was in it?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 9: I didn't even read it.
Speaker 4: Then you didn't write it.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 10: I found it at my desk when I was up in the office this morning. I figured that someone had put it there, thinking i'd see Henry and give it to him.
Speaker 4: What time did you find it see?
Speaker 10: I guess it was about nine or so, I guess I put it in my pocket and then forgot all about it. Before I went up to the office to tell him that we were breaking for lunch, I remembered it. I gave it to Dick and told him to hand it to Henry. That's what the notes all about. Right after that I went upstairs.
Speaker 4: Do you always tell the office that you're broken for lunch?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Most of the time I phoned, but today I went up myself. I've been kind of expecting a letter from my family back each night. I thought it might be in, so I wanted to check the morning mail.
Speaker 4: Got any idea. Who might have put the note on your desk? No?
Speaker 10: I just found it, you know, tucked away in the corner of the blotter. I really didn't look at it. I was in a hurry, wanted to finish lunch so I could get back on the set. We had a lot of work to do this afternoon.
Speaker 4: Did you see Wilson after you left the stage.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 10: I looked for him at the commissary, but he didn't show up, and the greenery man came in and said that he had the accident.
Speaker 4: Uh huh. You recognize the handwriting on that note?
Speaker 10: No, all I saw was the name that it was for Henry. Kind to think of it, though, I do kind of remember that it was familiar handwriting, thinking I'd seen it someplace before.
Speaker 4: You remember where?
Speaker 9: No, I wish I could have you found it, yet.
Speaker 4: No, Wilson must have dropped it someplace here, though it wasn't on his body. And if you take a look at this, what's that. Well, a crime lab crew found this on the stage, caught on the lamp that killed Wilson.
Speaker 9: Looks like the material he makes suits out of.
Speaker 7: Yeah, from inside the cuff. See see the little zigzag mark where it's been cut. Did you ever see this type of material before?
Speaker 9: Sam, let me see. Looks like it came from a blue suit. Huh good material?
Speaker 10: Sure not color. Yeah, I think I've seen a suit like this. I think I saw it this morning. Yeah, oh yeah, sure, Jerry Adams was wearing it.
Speaker 4: Six thirty pm. We called Gerald Adams into the dressing room. Were you on stage one at all before the body was found?
Speaker 6: N sir, Why do you think I had something to do with this?
Speaker 4: Well, we're just trying to get the facts here.
Speaker 6: Well, I want to help, but it seems to me that you would spend your time a little better. I could talk to Sam than ope, and all still deny giving it to Henry.
Speaker 4: Now he says that he gave it to him.
Speaker 6: Well, then there you are. I guess that argument was a lot more serious than we thought. That's nice looking suit you got on, mister Adams new Yeah, this first day I warn it present from my wife. Pretty blue. I don't usually care for blue, like brown gray. The wife's been trying to get me wear blue. So she got this.
Speaker 4: Suit for me. Yeah, it's like it's made pretty well.
Speaker 6: There, Yeah it is. She had my tailors put it together. I didn't even go down for a fitting. These a few things done doing, like the shoulders pulled in a little. I don't much care for patting on the shoulders, you know.
Speaker 7: M h, you mind if I look at the cuffs. I've always had trouble with the cuffs on my suits. You can see hear how they worn must be in the way they're made. No, I don't think so. That looks like it came from your shoes rumming against it.
Speaker 4: Do you mind if I look? No? Here?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure, it's beautiful material.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, she sure got good taste. Of course it should be. She paid one hundred and eighty bucks for in.
Speaker 4: You got a little tear here on the cuff inside? Have you noticed that?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: Let me see right there?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, how about that. I got to get that fixed, A little piece torn right out.
Speaker 4: What did you do when you found Wilson's body?
Speaker 6: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: What were your movements?
Speaker 6: Well, it'll be kind of hard to explain if you want to walk over there.
Speaker 4: I enjoy it all right, let's go on.
Speaker 6: The company's broken, and I told him wait up in the office. I figured you might want to talk to him some moorre f here. I'll get the door. Sure, beautiful night. H Yeah, it is best time of the day in the valley after the sun starts to go down. Everybody's always kidding about the cool breeze that comes up, you know, really does out here. I know the wife and I practically live out of door during.
Speaker 4: The summer months.
Speaker 6: Is that right, Yeah, we both love the valley. Yeah, here we are. That's the work light. So on yourmum to get the others.
Speaker 4: No, there's not okay, now, if you chose just what happened.
Speaker 6: When you found the body, well, uh, I came in that door, the big one there, it was open.
Speaker 4: Was there anybody on the stage then?
Speaker 6: No, no, not right away. The greenery man came in right after me, and then Jack, the guard from the other stage.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: Like I said, the body was lying about here, and the lamp was there?
Speaker 4: You saw that when you were here, Yes, we did. Did you go near the lamp touch it in any weight? Oh?
Speaker 6: No, I didn't. Only concern was Henry. That's all I thought about. I knelt down to feel Henry's pulse, and then I told Jackie, going for in the ambulance. Yeah, then I had the doors closed. I waited until a lot of policeman got here, and then I went back to the other stage.
Speaker 4: Our crime lab found a piece of cloth caught on that lamp, matches the tear and the cup of your suit.
Speaker 6: I can't understand how I could have gotten there.
Speaker 4: What if we look through your pockets?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 6: What's that going to prove?
Speaker 4: I just want to take a look. It won't hurt anything.
Speaker 6: Well, maybe it won't, But I don't see why you're asking me all these questions. Seems to me that Sam's your killer. Why didn't you talk to him? Make him tell you why I did it?
Speaker 4: All right, come on, let's see what you got in your pockets. Take everything out, put on the table.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: There's no wallet and you better take the money out of it. Okay, now, let me see.
Speaker 6: The wallet all right here, that's a second with Stradams. What'd you drop over there?
Speaker 5: I see.
Speaker 6: That's like the note we've been looking for Joe to say, Well, I have to see you.
Speaker 7: Something's come up. Meet me on one when you break for lunch. It's private, signed Jerry. How about this Adams? No, I don't know anything about it. Well, maybe we better talk.
Speaker 4: Downtown with you watching Joe.
Speaker 5: He's going up that ladder.
Speaker 4: Al right, give it up, Adams. There's no place to go up there.
Speaker 5: Stay away from me.
Speaker 4: Come on, Adams, give it up. It's not coming down, and he can't stay up there long.
Speaker 5: Why don't you shoot me? I'm not gonna do what you say. Go ahead and shoot me. What for?
Speaker 4: You're not going to any place? How about it, Adams? Why'd you do it?
Speaker 5: He had it coming always life step on people.
Speaker 6: This picture was mine that told me I was and he took it away from me just because he wanted to be a big man.
Speaker 7: This was my picture.
Speaker 4: He took it all right, come on down, I'm gonna stay up here. You suit yourself. We've got lots of time. Adams got to just go away.
Speaker 5: Let me alone.
Speaker 4: You know better than that. You killed the man. Now come on you with a come down and will come up. How do you thank Joe? Yeah? Give him a minute. Who wants to be a director? Yeah, let him figure out the ending.
Speaker 2: The story you have just heard was true. The names were changed to protect the innocent.
Speaker 3: On February seventeenth, trial was held in Department eighty nine, Superior Court of the State of California in and for the County of Los Angeles. In a moment the results of that trial, Gerald S. Adams was tried and convicted of murder in the first degree. He was sentenced to life imprisonment in the State Penitentiary San Quentin, California. You have just heard drag met a series of authentic cases from official files. Technical advice comes from the Office of Chief of Police W. H. Parker, Los Angeles Police Department Technical Advisors. Captain Jack Donahoe, Sergeant Marty Wynn, Sergeant Vance Braser. Heard tonight were Ben Alexander wit Connor, Jack Krushan. Script by John Robinson, music by Walter Schumann, Hell Giveney speaking.
Speaker 10: This is NBC, the nation's headquarters for election news.
Speaker 3: This is Andrew J.
Speaker 2: Graham, author of the web surface series Oh and a Man and his Wife. You're listening to the great detectives of Old Time Radio.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. Well, we've already seen the television version of this script. If you've watched on a video theater. Obviously we miss some of the visual visuals, but there's also some expanded dialogue, and I think the episode does a very solid job of establishing a pretty traditional mystery that's actually solved by the officers on site, and it's enhanced by the way that the suspects and witnesses all have their very own unique histories together the way that comes out works to create some question as to who done it. So overall a pretty good episode, all right, listener comments and feedback now, and I received an email from Stanley who said, first, I acquired an Amazon Echo and the Alexa search that comes with it pointed me at your Great Detectives podcast. I appreciate your insightful commentaries on the various shows you.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: First of all, thanks so much. And this is the second person who's contacted me and stated that Alexa has connected them to the program, which means either that we are very popular in Alexa's search algorithm and work with that, or that Alexa has developed the ability to choose and we have our first AI fan. Either way, we appreciate anything that brings people to the program. But he then has a question as you surely know. There are many stations that play old time radio shows. Some play old time commercials that are interesting. It's good to know that lots of doctor smoke Chester Fields and recommend them, for example. But it's a particular series of interstitials that I'm hoping you might have some information on. A voice that I bet a lot of money on, is that of then Scully, recently retired Dodger's announcer, apparently recorded a number of essays, perhaps three minutes on the topics of United States military medals and awards. They're fascinating in Scully's voice, as the enjoyment and listening to them. I wonder if you might have some insight into these pieces. Perhaps suggestion is how one could obtain the set or such of those that are available. Thank you for your great work on gathering and presenting pieces of history. Well, thanks so much for the question, Stanley. It does seem that there was some commercial on yours, truly, Johnny Dollar, that maybe what you were talking about, because they do talk about military history. Not certainly if I'm aware of a specific place to get the recording. If it is like the stuff that was on yours, truly, Johnny dall. I can't remember a specific episode of these would have been recorded by the Armed Forces Radio and Television Services. If any listener out there knows more about this specific recording you might be referring to, I'd love to hear from you. You can email at me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net. And with that, we actually conclude the eight season of Great Detectives of Old Time Radio. Next week we'll cross the line into our ninth year and bring you programs like Rocky Fortune, Rocky Jordan, and Mister King, a Tracer of Lost Persons, as well as revisiting some old favorites where we have some new episodes that have emerged. It's gonna be a great season and season eight's been enjoyable as well. Thank you for everyone's support. And it all starts Monday with not Beat, followed by Rocky Fortune on Tuesday, and Dragnet will carry on and join us back here on Saturday for that. In the meantime, send your comments to Box thirteen at Greatdetectives dot net, follow us on Twitter our Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com. Slash Radio Detectives from Boise Idaho. This is your host, Adam Grahamson and off