Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: The Park Fire, the one burning up in northern California, is now over four hundred thousand acres four oh one seven forty in terms of acreage. Cooler weather over the weekend did give them the ability. They've contained about thirty four percent of it, they said, which is great news because again it's going to start warming up.
Speaker 1: Mixtape Monday comes your way. In the twelve o'clock hour, Aerosmith officially done touring. Band made the announcement, saying it was a difficult decision, but it became clear that Stephen Tyler's voice is too damaged to perform live. Last year, it was reported that Tyler mangled his vocal chords while on the group's peace Out Farewell tour. Now, Aerosmith says despite having some of the best doctors around him, his voice will never sound the same. They so they're grateful beyond words for everyone's support and thanked fans for making their dreams come true. I saw Stephen Tyler in a flight one time. It looked like an older lady is that long hair and very thin frame.
Speaker 3: He has looked like that for a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm surprised his voice lasted as long as it did, the way he sang.
Speaker 2: Well, him and Axel Rose. I mean, he had this very same overpowering voice that you can't do that for Axel Rose lost it years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: True, I wanted to throw this in there because we were talking off the air about the Olympics and getting back in the game. Rub some dirt on it, Teddy Roosevelt's speech from the Sarbone in Paris?
Speaker 4: Is this what I was referring to April of nineteen ten. The man in the arena, Yes, the man in the arena.
Speaker 2: It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who was actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, whose strive valiantly, who airs, who comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcoming, but who does actually strive to do the deeds, who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's for Bob on his couch in Des Moines, who's throwing stuff at the television saying why don't you make that tackle. I've often thought about getting this tattooed on me, but I lack the surface area.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of words.
Speaker 1: I've seen, like every good lineman, I've seen this tattooed before, and I also want that as a constant reminder of how to just kick ass in your life. And I just don't know how I could fit it on my body. Well, you'd have to eat maybe a little bit on each arm.
Speaker 4: You could do it on your.
Speaker 2: Back, but I mean then you'd never see it, And that point is to inspire you.
Speaker 1: Yes, maybe I get a plaque at home and put it up instead of tattooing it on my body.
Speaker 2: Much better idea, much better idea. A.
Speaker 5: That my husband is in small town off Hey, Gary and Channon, Happy Monday. This is Renee. Renee and I have no specific reason to call except to say that my husband is in small town, Minnesota listening to you guys on iHeartRadio, and I was just kind of hoping you'd play this and give a shout out to him.
Speaker 4: Hi, Bob or Renee.
Speaker 6: You could just call your husband.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's that.
Speaker 6: You don't need us as a conduit, Renee.
Speaker 4: Maybe there's something going on. Maybe she's trying to.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to help a love connection flourish.
Speaker 2: There is some movement in the murder of former General Hospital actor actor Johnny Whackter. Okay LAPD has released surveillance photos of the suspects. They say now they believe killed Johnny Wacter back in May.
Speaker 4: He shot and killed the end of May.
Speaker 2: Police said he and a coworker interrupted thieves trying to steal his catalytic converter. Medical examiner concluded, of course, it was homicide, gunshot wound to the chest. A coworker was with him at the time said that she held him in his final moments. He was killed senselessly. She wrote. Now at this point they said that the guy has like a tattoo on his over one of his eyes, and you know, some pretty distinguishing marks. So it's not it is likely that they'll eventually get him. Someone knows something, Yeah, someone knows something, because they also said that they have the vehicle that they believed to have stolen, vehicle that they believed that he escaped or they escaped in Angels beat the METSI yesterday three to two, and the Dodgers beat Thea's three to two as well. So the Dodgers back in LA to take on the Phillies first place. Phillies first place, Dodgers first pitch is going to be at seven to ten. You can listen to every play of every Dodger's game on AM five seventy LA Sports Live from the Galvin Motors Broadcast booth, stream all the games NHD. On that iHeartRadio app used the keyword AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: I feel like every morning I listen to the news and I listened to Amy King talk about how homes are continually being broken into in La. It's like every morning, Uh, a couple homes and silver leg busted into. Oh, a couple homes and Pacific ballisades busted into this. Is this just our way of life that we're putting up with in Los Angeles that it's a crapshoot at this point?
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's an assumption that there's going to be burglary in place like La There's gonna be burglaries every single day, but it's going to be in those homes where you don't expect to see security systems all. They've become more and more popular because you know, the number of or the cost of things like video doorbells and stuff is much lower than it would have been ten years ago. But the assumption is that it's still going to be in a neighbor it's gonna be in the valley somewhere. It's gonna be somewhere in the west end of the valley maybe.
Speaker 1: But when there's no ramifications, no repercussions for your actions, it is going to be a problem that proliferates. And that's what we're seeing. People know that nothing is going to happen to them. They're gonna get a slap on the wrist. So why not roll the dice in a better neighborhood? Why mess around with Rosita when I can go into the Hollywood Hills.
Speaker 3: Well, and if people are.
Speaker 2: That's the word, people are confident that there is no physical repercussion, not just legal right, but trail. You're going to be in la where not as many people are going to have protection in the form of a weapon and asteria capable of handling. In the event that something like that goes on, you're going to run rough shot over everybody.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what they did at the home of Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson, the guest home of theirs. Law enforcement says the burglars made their way into the estate by smashing through glass. And to make matters worse, it took place in broad daylight. Because of everything that we just said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the security alarm was triggered, but that did not stop them from going in. Now, I don't know if this is an audible alarm that goes off and you can hear the sirens or the tones or the bells or whatever.
Speaker 1: Well, if they're going to break the law to break glass to get into your home, they're not going to stop for the alarm. It's not like me at a defib machine box where I'm going to actually be a law abiding citizen and once I hear that alarm go off, I will shut the door and move away.
Speaker 3: I want to point this out.
Speaker 2: This British tabloid that does this story said that's noah, rest have been made. This is the fourth celebrity to be hit in the last month, including Sarah Hyland. She was on Modern Family Marlon Wayan of course, of the comedy family Fame and Bad.
Speaker 1: Bobby the Who's Bad Bobby?
Speaker 4: That's the uh catch me outside girl?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 1: She she should be robbed at every turn. She robbed me of brain cells for years. Drake also has been hit. Drake has been hit. Goldie Hawn has been hit as well. Is this a ring that targets celebrities? Is this a movie I'm gonna watch in a few years?
Speaker 2: Well, I would assume they probably. Well where did they get Here's the thing is, where do they get the information?
Speaker 4: It's not that.
Speaker 6: Difficult the Hollywood stars tours.
Speaker 4: No, not that part of information.
Speaker 2: I mean the information that the Tom Ranks and Riata Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson are not at home. That's the that's the Are they casing it? Are they watching it over a couple of days? Do they care that they're not at home? Are they that brazen?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: I think, well, because everybody loves Tom Hanks and you wouldn't want to disturb him, and they.
Speaker 4: Don't want to hurt his feelings.
Speaker 2: You don't want to, you know, you would rather that dirty work be done outside of his purview, because all he's going to do is just give you a look, and that's going to be a you know, the bad look. It was March eleventh, twenty twenty, when Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson announced that they had tested positive for COVID March eleventh, and from that point the following two weeks were an absolute tales.
Speaker 1: Tom Hanks has it, March Madness is canceled. I'm just gonna go bear this out there, Rudy Gobert. That the licking of the microphone, My god, I'm just going to throw this out there. If you're listening and you're thinking about targeting celebrities, Richard Dreyfuss, you know, maybe a better target.
Speaker 4: Oh now that's not nice, that's not nice. Nope, you forget.
Speaker 6: You have a short memory.
Speaker 4: What he did to us.
Speaker 2: I am willing to forgive, considering that was seven and a half years as well, I don't forget.
Speaker 3: I get a picture of Richard Dreyfus tattooed.
Speaker 1: On you some right next to the man in the arena right that good speech.
Speaker 7: Helloha for MAUI. We are on our way to go on a stargling excursion to Malakini and we were listening to Shannon Rey the Teddy Roosevelt quote, and my husband was wondering why there is no recording of it, or if you guys could find one. So that's our conversation at seven fifteen in the morning.
Speaker 4: In love you guys.
Speaker 2: There was technology to record, but there's only a handful of recordings of any Teddy Roosevelt speeches, and they're really awful quality. I mean one hundred plus years later, so I mean the Library of Congress has the sum of them, but they're on those old wax drums.
Speaker 1: To be fair, I think that your rendition of it today is just about as accurate of a rendition that we will ever have. I think you said it with great intonation. The pauses were in the correct places, the feeling was there.
Speaker 2: I would have paid big money to have Robin Williams do that speech, because he played Teddy Roosevelt in those Night at the Museum movies.
Speaker 6: Ah, yeah, I wouldn't because I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think about cocaine a lot when I think about Teddy Roosevelt, and I think about it a lot when I think about Robin Williams.
Speaker 4: I don't think about cocaine a lot.
Speaker 1: Just those two are just so it's a weird juxtaposition.
Speaker 2: We'll get into the bear story. We're going to do that after right the next segment. Yes, okay, the RFKJ.
Speaker 1: I wanted to get right to the bear story right now because I'm getting just excited about it. But I will show restraint and I will talk about baby ducks.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, we actually did this story. A couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 2: We heard this story of an order of balute that had come into a warehouse in Orange County. Balute is fertilized but unhatched duck eggs that just before they hatch are then.
Speaker 4: Are they pickled and then eaten?
Speaker 6: Well either way.
Speaker 1: The problem was hundreds of them started hatching, and the distributors like, oh crap, what the hell am I going to do with hundreds of baby ducks? They were meant to be eaten before they were born, and now they're out of their shells and they're ducking around.
Speaker 6: So she gets on the horn.
Speaker 1: She's asking people like where do I put the baby ducks? And she hears about the duck Pond. The Duck Pond is a waterfowl sanctuary for domesticated birds. It's run by Howard Berkowitz, and he says, this is the largest rescue we've been involved with. He was the one who went in and picked up that baby waterfowl fowl. What a hero. He was appalled at their condition. They were starving, they were dehydrated. It was hot here in southern California. Some of them had been alive for one, two, three days and they had no food, no water. So out of the three hundred and fifty ducklings he retrieved, only one hundred and forty were successfully nursed back to health.
Speaker 2: That's a that's still a lot of ducks, a ton of ducks.
Speaker 1: So this is where we picked up the story because he put a call out for foster parents to care for the newborn ducks. I'd like to go on the record as reminding everybody and or a refreshing your recollection, that I wanted to foster one of these ducks, and you all said, no.
Speaker 3: You have the biggest heart of all of us. Got it.
Speaker 1: By the end of the day, people had good friends and were allowed to go pick up a duck to foster. And so by the end of the day only a few of the scraggly dozen were left of the tiny, yellow, fluffy beings. His name is Howard Howie the duck Burkowitz. He's in his sixties. He wears glasses, salt and pepper beard. They say that his gray hair pokes out of the sides of his ball cap, not unlike the flicked feathers of a duck's tail.
Speaker 2: This Howie, Howie, Howie the duck call him Howie Howie has dedicated his life to this. I mean he lost his marriage to this and doesn't have kids, so these are his kids.
Speaker 1: He is a former biochemist, a part time classic car guy.
Speaker 6: But yeah, his life's work is the Duck Pond.
Speaker 1: This is lace less than an acre in rural Winchester in Riverside County. It's home to a motley crew of four hundred ducks, geese, chickens, including a hybrid goose the Hawaiian Nini. He feeds them daily, make sure they're kiddie pools are replaced with clean water every few hours.
Speaker 2: He has a heat out of all of the ones that he takes care of. He has a pet named Gousifer.
Speaker 1: Now that is a good name. Gusifer must be a handful that rides with him. He is.
Speaker 4: Gusifer is his ride or die.
Speaker 6: He says. When they bond with a human, you actually become part of their flock. We have to go here, We have to go here. I need to see this. You may you're not signing off on this, No I am not.
Speaker 3: You know why.
Speaker 2: Waterfowl like this do not have sphincters. Do you ever wonder why there's do deuce, duck and goose crap everywhere? There are ducks and geese.
Speaker 6: Well, they don't have toilets.
Speaker 1: Scary, they don't have, you know, places to go inside a stall and do their business right. If you had to crap outside, you would feel exposed, and you would want people to respect you and the fact that you that's your only option.
Speaker 2: I might find a tree or a corn, or a raw for a bush to go behind.
Speaker 1: If you were born without a sphincter, Gary, you would know that there's no time, excellent argument. I have no I rest my case, your honor.
Speaker 3: Can we just dismiss this case?
Speaker 6: It's all courts out of order.
Speaker 2: He does say that he has been inspected. Some people don't like the property that he runs with the ducks and the geese.
Speaker 6: Oh man, what a nuisance, what a huge But.
Speaker 2: He says, we've had animal control called on us several times. Animal Control comes out, does their due diligence, and we have passed every single inspection.
Speaker 1: On top of water bills and food expenses of up to one hundred and seventy dollars a day, he has a vet bill of three thousand dollars to pay. He estimates spending about one thousand dollars of his own money each month on operations that are not covered by the donations to his nonprofit.
Speaker 2: I think I think Howie, as much as he might enjoy seeing you and showing you the property, would appreciate if you just dropped a couple of ducats, get it into his GoFundMe page, maybe to help you well, because he's talking about buying a larger property. They're talking about twenty acre property that he wants to get where they'll have a bigger plot to roam, of course, and then he needs to build a home for those rescues, and that's going to take a lot of money.
Speaker 1: When did it just be nice to get a baby duck, one of these little baby ducks, these a little yellow furry guys, and wrap him up in something in case his finxtirt, his sphincter, lack of sphincter becomes a problem. So you have like a little diaper on him and just hold a baby duck for like an afternoon, And that sound nice.
Speaker 2: With a diaper, with a diaper, yeah, for the afternoon, like a whole afternoon.
Speaker 6: A couple hours seems like a lot, all right.
Speaker 1: Back to the story of the day and the reason why we know, at least in this moment, that God loves us and wants to give us nice things.
Speaker 3: Robert F.
Speaker 1: Kennedy Junior has posted a video on social media media in which she admits that he dumped a dead bear cub in Central Park ten years ago, and he's talking to Roseanne Barr.
Speaker 2: Which also makes perfect sense. I don't understand the context of the conversation. Are they hanging out?
Speaker 3: Do they?
Speaker 2: Was he being interviewed by her as for her podcast. I don't understand it, but he describes that he was going to go falconing with some people and they were driving up to the Hampton's I think.
Speaker 8: People up in gosh in New York, NY Putts and Valley, and I was supposed to meet them there at like maybe eight or nine. I was driving up maybe you know, really early, like seven, and then woman in a fan in front of me hit a bear and killed it, a young bear. So I pulled over and I picked up the bear and put him in the back of my van.
Speaker 1: Okay, right there, what there's not bears in this number one, there's not bears in Central Park number two.
Speaker 6: That's your reaction.
Speaker 1: It's not to call nine one one and be like, hey, we got bear clean up on Lane five.
Speaker 2: Well, he does go on to say that you can get like a bear hunting tag for eating the meat for New York if it's roadkill. If it's road kill, and that's what he was talking about doing.
Speaker 4: He was going to skin this and clean this.
Speaker 1: He's going to skin the bear and harvest its meat and eat it.
Speaker 6: Was he going to eat the bear?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, but he's going he's not even at home he's on vacation. He's going falconing in Hudson Valley. Where are you going to skin the animal and package the meats, cut the meats open. Don't you have a whole day of falconing ahead of you?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: Go on.
Speaker 2: I had a Chico State professor, I think he was an archaeology professor, who talked about picking up roadkill on a cross country trip one time and wrapping them in plastic because he was going to come home and clean the clean all the meats and juices off of them, and reassemble the skeletons because he was he was that kind of a nerd. That's what this totally reminded me of.
Speaker 3: But he's okay.
Speaker 2: So he's picked up the bear, dead juvenile bear, and it's in the trunk of his car.
Speaker 8: And at the end of the dinner, it went late and I realized I couldn't go home.
Speaker 3: I'd go to the airport and the bear was.
Speaker 8: In my car, and I didn't want to leave the bear in the car. That would have been bad, So that I thought, you know, at that time, this was a little bit of the redneck and me. There'd been a series of bicycle accidents in New York. They just put in the bike lades and so people a couple of people are kind of killing and it was every day, and people have been badly injured every day.
Speaker 3: It was the press, and so I thought.
Speaker 8: I was nurse.
Speaker 6: This is a drunken thing.
Speaker 8: And I said, I had an old bike in my car that somebody asks me to get rid of it. I said, let's go put the park and I'll make it look.
Speaker 4: Like I didn't play it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now I'm not an old bike in my car that somebody had told me.
Speaker 4: To get rid of. Right, it does not.
Speaker 1: None of this makes any sense. This this seems like, you know, we all have a friend that takes a joke too far.
Speaker 4: I do love. I do love. I didn't hear this before.
Speaker 2: I do love that He refers to himself as having a little bit of redneck in him because some of the videos that he has posted on social media that have kind of come to people's attention over this last couple of months. It's him like grabbing a snake out of a neighbor's yard. It's him collecting little fish with one of his grandkids. It's all these very uh, get your hands dirty in nature kind of things that other people would not would not.
Speaker 6: Do, be the man in the arena.
Speaker 1: There There is an image attached to this story in the New Yorker article that shows him grimacing with his hand inside the dead bear's bloody mouth.
Speaker 2: It's a real thing. Now here's the other thing about this, he says. When they did this, he ended up putting the bear in Central Park, and it made news.
Speaker 8: I was worried because prints were all over that bike, the prince were all over The story died after a while.
Speaker 2: But he did say New York Times, all of the TV stations, they all covered it. In fact, the New York Times writer of the article on a dead bear being found in Central Park, Tatiana Schlosberg, his own cousin, wrote the story. Now she didn't know, allegedly at the time, who would have been responsible for this. This became a huge mystery as to where this bear came from.
Speaker 1: Does every Kennedy have a drunken story about hitting something with their car?
Speaker 6: Oh man, Well, it just seems that it's just.
Speaker 3: To be clear, Teddy didn't hit her with the car.
Speaker 4: He just drove into the lake with pint.
Speaker 1: Good point, car, good point. I'm sorry Thank you for corrections and retractions.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app