Speaker 1: Around Dodge City and in the territory on West, there is just one way to handle the killers and the spoilers. And that's where the US Marshal and The Smell of Gun Smoke Gun, starring William Conrad, the story of the violence that moved west with Young America and the story of a man.
Speaker 2: Who moved with it. I'm that man, Matt Dillon, United States Marshall, the first man they look for and the less they want to meet. It's a chance, a job that makes a man watchful and a little lone man. Well, hello, matt Illo, Kitty.
Speaker 3: Something the matter? You look like you've lost your last friend.
Speaker 2: And I could use a drink.
Speaker 4: Come on here, see him, bring matter whiskey, William or any see him?
Speaker 2: Nice? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Now what's the trouble?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just got word of a couple of old friends.
Speaker 3: Something happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're dead.
Speaker 3: Oh m s h wish Mark.
Speaker 2: I like, sim Yeah, it's tough when Kitty, they both took the fever U and they left a kid, young boy.
Speaker 3: Ah, that's a terrible thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is boys parents both dying something like that.
Speaker 2: That's kind of funny in a way. Joe and like, I coulda been killed a lot of times. He was in the war. They were on a river boat that was sunk one time. They'd been living on a ranch in Apache country.
Speaker 3: H it was fever that finally killed him. Yeah, were you close friends?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: Uh? Joe and I rode together on the border. But his brother Will, Yeah, we were close friends.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I hope there'll be somebody to watch out after the boy.
Speaker 2: And I don't know about the rest of the time, but I know somebody will be riding hurt only this summer, somebody you know, mm m me you, yeah, Will figures the boy ought to get clear away for a.
Speaker 3: While, So you're gonna take him, and.
Speaker 2: He asked me to in this letter. Doesn't seem like a lot to do. Hold's boy, oh fifteen sixteen, somewhere along there. He won't be any trouble.
Speaker 3: You're certainly changing your tomb.
Speaker 5: Oh how's that seems to me?
Speaker 3: You've always dodged to be in a family man up to now.
Speaker 2: I'm not a kiddy.
Speaker 5: The boy needs help, Matt, course.
Speaker 3: He does, and I think you have it in here to be a real good father. I always have a kiddy. I'm sorry. I couldn't resist it. I think it's fine.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 3: When does a boy come.
Speaker 2: On tomorrow's stage?
Speaker 3: Well, Matt, let me know if there's anything I can do. Huh, who knows? I might be quite a mother if I.
Speaker 5: Had a chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you might, kiddy.
Speaker 5: How'd you have a good trip, David, weren't nothing to do it at all.
Speaker 2: I'd rather roade you. What.
Speaker 5: Well, stagecoach wasn't bad. But my brother rode my own horse in.
Speaker 2: That was kind of a long.
Speaker 5: Way for that, wasn't That's what my uncle Will said. But I could have done it.
Speaker 2: Maybe you could. At that.
Speaker 5: We heading for your office, Marshall.
Speaker 2: That's where your headquarters will be most of the time, and as we'll go there first.
Speaker 5: Well that's fine with me, Marshall. I'd like to be around guns.
Speaker 2: Oh now, we keep the guns locked up in the office all the time. Well, unless we're using them or cleaning them.
Speaker 5: Oh well, then I can help clean them.
Speaker 2: Maybe you can.
Speaker 5: I know how, Marshall. My paw learned me.
Speaker 2: He knew how to teach you, all right. Your Paul was a good man with a gun. Uh. I'm sorry about that day about what happened him. Must miss him a lot.
Speaker 5: Your man, boy, I guess I do. I ain't gonna let it bother me none.
Speaker 2: Though, God a heart not it wasn't you know, A fellow's got to.
Speaker 5: Do his growing up. Marshall can't be thinking on his mad Paul.
Speaker 2: I suppose not.
Speaker 5: I wouldn't have stayed at home much longer anyhow. You know Marshall Paul used to wear two guns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember it. Well.
Speaker 5: Why don't you Marshall wear it two?
Speaker 2: Uh? Guess I figured one was heavy enough to pack around.
Speaker 5: All the real good men with a gun wear too. Why Oh, I just meant you might get where you'd need to wear two sometime. I didn't mean no, that's all right, David so far.
Speaker 2: I've just been lucky enough to get probably with one. Now Here we are go on walking.
Speaker 5: Oh oh, it's done, And I guess this must be the boy.
Speaker 2: Uh Chester, that's Dave Barrett.
Speaker 5: I'm pleased meet today.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's Chester Propfitt. He really runs things around the Marshall's office. Chester, keep an eye on you for the next few days. I'm gonna have to ride up to Hayes City.
Speaker 5: I don't need nobody to watch out for me. Marshall, there won't be no trouble, no trouble Tall.
Speaker 2: You're show him around Chester. I want to say I brought him before.
Speaker 5: I go, Yestra, sure will do that, mister d can't I go along with you Marshall and still staying here with him? And now don't you worry, boy, It won't be nothing tall for me to make you feel the home.
Speaker 2: You better stay here this time day. Maybe you can ride with me another time before you go.
Speaker 5: Sure a nice young fellow like you, you and he'll get along gifts bye ye Chester, all right, David me, I'm always alright.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to hear it. I'll see whether.
Speaker 5: Mm excuse me, boy, I gotta sweep under that cherrier sitting in Just pout your feet on them on.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: You sure do do a lot of sweeping around here out there. As the fact, boy, seems like folks brings mud on their boots all the way from Texas in the territory, just so as I can sweep up after him. But that ain't no job for a law man. Well, a long man got a right and live clean just like anybody else. Well, if I was helping the Marshall I'd do better things than that, and I did. I guess you do just about what Marshall wanted you to do. Well. I reckon, a body has to do what he's fit for. No, just hold on a minute there. I mean, it ain't like you could be no help in the gun fighting or nothing like that. I listen here to me, Dave. You're a nice young fellow, but you need a little straightening out on the way things is around here. The Marshall needs somebody around him that can shoot.
Speaker 2: I can shoot.
Speaker 5: Don't you worry nothing about back? You don't even wear a gun. A man don't need to wear a gun all the time to know how to shoot. Beside them guns on the wall ain't to wearing kind these ways. They look mighty comical on the man. If I know how to wear a gun, ain't no cost you to show off me. Somebody around this office ought to be wearing one, and I'll sit here. I don't want to catch you praying around wearing no gun. I bet the Marshall will let me wear one. It ain't likely. You see how good I can shoot him? Let me well, just don't let me that you're wearing one. But you ain't a marshall, No, I ain't. But he left me in charge of things for the next couple of days. And one of the things he left me in charge of is you. I can draw real fast. I don't want to hear no more about it. I don't want to see you wearing no gun. And that's all we are to it. Now, move awaiting them whin you're so that I can read up the rest of this office. Well, I tell you, Dave, there's no particular trick to taking out a bullet. That's so, Doc. Nope, the trick is keeping the man alive afterwards. Well, how you do that? Well, if I do the answer that, Dave, i'd be the most famous doctor in the West, and the richest too, and throw a would benign. There's so many things to consider, the size of the wound, how much blood has been lost, infection, superation. Uh, Doc, it ain't the short's good idea to go on about things like that.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 5: Well we're eating our dinner. Doc, Oh, what's the matter of chest? You're getting squeamish me? Well, I am as unsqueamish as they come, Doc. I can listen to your talk even though I am eating Rhubarbie. Well, what's the trouble, Well, Doc, it's it's the boy. He ain't used to hearing that kind of loose talk.
Speaker 2: Oh oh well, yes.
Speaker 5: Sure may be right. You don't cost to worry about me. I ain't squeaming. Oh no, no, no, of course. But Chester's right. It's a matter of good man. That ain't no bother to me. It ought to be boy, it offered me Chester. We're incarnation of you being o. I've been right here eating my dinner, Morn trees. I ain't exactly hiding ouch and well. Seems ought to be somebody taking care of things in the Marshall's office. Oh, get ease off more time and taking care of things. What's all the catawaing about? Anyway? Rather want you down the telegraph office? Why I didn't you say so? I had to find you first. They got a message, just got to be answered right away, all right, Morn, all right, keep your braces up. I'm coming. I'll take care of it, all right, I'll see you backward the office, Dave. Shouldn't take me very long to handle this. I have to go right back to the office. You don't know, right if I mose you around a little. Well, now you know if the boy is head, for heaven's sakes, he's no child Chester. I sure ain't. Well. I guess it'll be all right. Come on, Chester, I'm come in, but mind you be back there for supper? Boy here, you're sure I'll be there? Ah? Will you wander around all you like? Dave? Chester gets more like a mother hen every day. I don't need no mother. In course you don't. Sometimes it seems Chester has more talent for that than for Mushman. Yeah it's your Does a horse kick that down for you?
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Hello boy? Ah?
Speaker 6: Some fools over rig right into the side of the door. Some folks rent a rig.
Speaker 5: I just don't care what happens to it.
Speaker 2: Els he just can't drive.
Speaker 5: I can drive.
Speaker 2: And so you new boy in town.
Speaker 5: Ain't you. I'm visiting the Marshall Matt Dylan.
Speaker 2: You better be good boy.
Speaker 5: He'll run you in. I ain't afraid of him.
Speaker 6: You better mind your manners just the same. I wouldn't want to start no nonsense with Matt.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna help.
Speaker 6: Him well now, I bet he's glad about that. I wish I had somebody to help me around his.
Speaker 2: Stable Hello, pheey.
Speaker 5: Oh, marh. Take care of the horse? Will you want to speed him? Yeah? Go ahead and feed him. And I ain't fixing to be back from.
Speaker 2: Him til tomorrow, and to make a night of it.
Speaker 5: Are you feeling? I sure?
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 5: I gotta find the Marshall first though he ain't his office. Ask the boy where he is? He's staying with him on sure you know where he is? Boy? Sure? Now up to Hayes City for two days troubles peely, that's hob Frank. He's out there at the old Prentice place shooting everything inside. You better give Chester then he ain't there either. I ain't seen an he Wasn't you know where he went off to? No, I don't recommend will be back for a while, though. Ah maybe I'll run into him. Somebody ought to get on out there, that's for sure. Uncertain. Yeah, I see you later along. Come on, boy, you know where the Prentice place is? Uh?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 6: It's just south of the river about a mile. I got a big old falling down.
Speaker 5: House on it.
Speaker 2: Nothing to see.
Speaker 5: What do you wanna know?
Speaker 2: For?
Speaker 5: Why? I I wanna be able to tell Chester where it is? That's all church boy.
Speaker 6: Chester knows apprentice place. Everybody around Dodge knows it.
Speaker 5: M She's sure I should have knowed here, boy hold his bridle. Yeah, say, mister, would you leave me have a horse?
Speaker 6: I got only one rule about that, boy.
Speaker 5: I'll leave you have it if you can pay for it. Oh, I can pay for it. I got money. See here, you've got a horse.
Speaker 6: You can have that one in the back stall.
Speaker 5: You can ride him, all right. I can ride him all right, And I can do a lot of other things just as good. A right man, even your standing here, boy, Soon as I see the old man, Frank h take you down for ever for a drink, I could come here. Chose a cooler day to stir up a rucus Bob Bob Frank, alright, I don't you go playing no hiding games, old man. Alright, after I rode all this way out here, and don't you start shooting off again. Neither you are to be ashamed of yourself, all a stirring up things.
Speaker 2: The way you do what.
Speaker 5: And when I might have known it, liquored yourself up to your lost your senses, And come on, gotta wake up, some hobble, wake up so I can ride you back to Dodge. Come on, old man, it's time again for you to spend a night or two in the lock up. And then, oh, my gracious mercy, you been shot. He's dead, Dave. What in the world are you doing out here? I told folks I could help the marshall and had done it. You done what well while you was lollygagging around town. I come out here and I rode right up through the gunshots, and I took care of him. You shot, Hobbed Frank. I knowed you couldn't have done it, not wearing a gun and all. He was shooting something fierce when I rode up, But I just kept on bling, young fool. It was him or me. That's the way it has to be with a gunfighter. Hob Frank ain't no gunfighter. He would What do you mean, hobb Frank never harmed nobody in his whole life. Said maybe itself the shooting. He we used to get his self liquored up regular ever for a few months or so and take his old gun and shoot it off, just hear the noise of it. But he never done to pro folks it around. He never pointed to it nobody, But I thought, yes, sir, you thought you thoughts all carnation, much as you just rode out here and killed a man I didn't miss too late to think about meaning, come on now, help me get him out of here. No, no, I'm on now. Can't even just lay in here. You ain't gonna take me in for no chun going on, man, run away from the old man. You're killed right on around in the rest of your life for all of me, all right, Hob pixture episodis nice and decent for you, nice and decent. I tell you the group miss dull night think gets too good?
Speaker 2: Point, Oh what do you mean by that?
Speaker 5: For that day to tell him that old Hobb didn't die after all? That doc pulled him through somehow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, imebe, you're right.
Speaker 6: There was no thanks to him, and that's a certain fact. It just serve him right to go on thinking he'd killed him.
Speaker 2: If we don't find him, he will go on thinking him.
Speaker 5: I ain't said sure we'd are to find him, spending all his time righting out here in this weather.
Speaker 2: You'll love you, Maybe I will, but I ain't at all sure.
Speaker 5: We ain't just send him good money after bad. You might say that's enough, all right, but what I said.
Speaker 2: That's enough. Chester. You know we gotta find this boy. That's sure.
Speaker 5: I guess we do. Now, let's do it, mister Dolan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what is it?
Speaker 5: Ain't you wearing some off the road?
Speaker 2: I'm heading for that cave up there.
Speaker 5: Do you think he's hit out there?
Speaker 2: I know that if I was a boy running away, a cave would look pretty good to me. Is a place to hide, prick? Besides, it's the way his horse went. Yes, sir, all right, Chester, we'll stop here.
Speaker 5: Want me to come up with you?
Speaker 2: No, you stay with the horses.
Speaker 5: I'd admire to Hell.
Speaker 2: I'll call you if I need you a Chester. Yes, Dave Marshall, dyllon, come on out of there. You might as well come out. Dave ill left the plane trail.
Speaker 3: I ain't coming.
Speaker 2: Come on, Dave, I ain't come out never. I have to come in and get you out, do it.
Speaker 5: I ain't gonna hang, Marshall, I ain't gonna hang.
Speaker 2: Oh you're not gonna hang. You're lucky. What what do you mean the old man doesn't die? Now, come on out.
Speaker 5: You you ain't just trying to trick me.
Speaker 2: I don't have to waste my time tricking a smarter like kid like you, and I come out of that all right, Drag you out, all right, Come on all the way out, not down here? Now, where's the gun?
Speaker 5: No, I've buried it back there ways.
Speaker 2: You'll dig it up. It's one of mine, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, I've seen it hanging there in the back.
Speaker 2: You stole it. I should have known better. I was figuring him to help you better explain that.
Speaker 5: Oh, Marshall. When I heard about that fellow shooting out at the printer's place, I figured I need a gun, so I went back and got one.
Speaker 2: Why didn't you tell Chester about it?
Speaker 5: I didn't think he'd be no good taking care of it. Oh?
Speaker 2: Why not? What Chester?
Speaker 5: He don't even wear no gun?
Speaker 2: I see. I left him in charge of things, didn't I?
Speaker 5: Yes, But Marshall, I didn't never see him do nothing much but just sweep out. I can shoot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I figured I could take care of that fella better than Chester could.
Speaker 2: And the newly killed him.
Speaker 5: Well he was shooting. I had to do something.
Speaker 2: You know what Chester would have done, No, sir, I don't. He'd have walked right after that man, shooting or not, and he'd have talked the gun away from him, and he'd have brought him back into Dodge or he'd be safe.
Speaker 5: Well, I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, sure didn't know. You don't know much. If you think the only way to measure a man is according to whether he wears a gun or not, you don't know much.
Speaker 5: I guess maybe you're right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm right.
Speaker 5: Well, what's you gonna do with me?
Speaker 2: And until his circuit judge comes to town? I'm gonna turn you over to Chester, and I'd get ready to do a lot of sleeping, a lot of sleeping.
Speaker 1: Gun Smoke, but Houston directed in Hollywood line Norman McDonald stars William Conrad as Matt Dylan Us Marshall. The story was specially written for Gun Smoke by Mariam Clark, with editorial supervision by John Meston. Featured in the cast were Sam Edwards, Harry Bartel, Joseph Kerns and Ralph Moody. Harley Baar is Chester, Howard mcneer is Doc, and Georgia Ellis is kidding. This is George Walsh inviting you to join us again next week when CBS Radio presents another story on gun Smoke.