Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M. Six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: What else is going on? Time four? What's happening? Tropical storm?
Speaker 3: Water damage, fire damage, Burglory called public adjuster, abner gas eight one eight nine one seven five two five six.
Speaker 2: One day, A bad word is gonna come out. You know it. You know it's gonna happen. Uh.
Speaker 1: Tropical storm Tropical Storm Raphael is gaining steam near Jamaica and they say probably will grow into a hurricane before hitting at Cuba.
Speaker 4: Headed towards Jamaica the Cayman Islands. Today, a hurricane watch issued for parts of Cuba, and the tropical storm warning in effect for Jamaica and the Florida Keys right now. There is an expectation that this thing, at least as a tropical storm, is gonna make a landfall, probably into northern Florida elsewhere we're in the southeastern United States by the end of the week. As much as three inches of rain forecast for the lower and middle portions of the Florida Keys.
Speaker 1: That Dodgers fan who lost his fingers after the firework blew up and blew up his hand is talking. Did you see they were trying to raise money for this guy? A GoFundMe has been raised for him. He got drunk and blew his hand off with a firework. Come on, apparently he lost two fingers. He's twenty five years old. His name's Kevin King.
Speaker 4: Oh and did you see what his dad said about him? His dad called him out for being a moron. Without calling him out for being a moron, he said he's basically missing his pointer finger, referencing the middle finger the meat portion between the pointing finger and the thumb area. And he said he did have some issues between both his ears. Good Now, I don't know if he means that both ears got punctured or his brain matter that was supposed to be between his ears was not there in the first place leaning over the stupid mortar while he was trying to light it. The surgeon did see the video. They said they don't understand how he's able to walk away with the injuries that he has. He protected ninety percent of his face from the explosion.
Speaker 2: But you want to know how much they've raised?
Speaker 1: No, take a guess for the drunk guy who blew off his finger celebrating in the Dodgers World Series five grand ten thousand dollars ten grand, just below ten thousand.
Speaker 2: What could you do?
Speaker 4: What sort of physical mishap could you get into between this studio and the parking garage that would garner you a GoFundMe page.
Speaker 2: I will set it up for you. I will gladly settled. I doesn't have to do something stupid, do something stupid that results in some sort of injury. Would you lose a couple fingers for ten grand?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, I would not.
Speaker 4: Oh but I'm saying, maybe you try to slide down the band stir at the parking garage stairs and you fall and track your head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would not survive so that your.
Speaker 4: Right eye is permanently crossed like this. Oh oh yeah, see you.
Speaker 2: Can just whip that out and oh my god, parties gift.
Speaker 4: It's fun when you're talking to somebody and you just can't stop ignore, you just want them to just and you just slowly, Oh.
Speaker 2: My god, you have great control over that eye.
Speaker 4: Put that eyeball ouph my god, that's terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is terrifying. Well, maybe you shut up next time I do that way. I can do this with my thumbs.
Speaker 4: What do you do you're putting your thumbs up? Oh, you're bending it back like yeah, I don't know how you do that. It bends like to a ninety degree.
Speaker 2: How do you do that? Yeah, I've got a party trick too, freak.
Speaker 4: Speaking of weird accidents, police in Mississippi say a man died when he was trying to repair a dump truck and ask falt poured all over him. He was underneath the truck working on a hydraulic line when the tail game open and hot asphalt fell on him.
Speaker 2: Out Yeah, no kidding anybody else.
Speaker 1: Amazon got the FAA approval for a new delivery rone.
Speaker 4: You know what, We're done. We're done. We're done doing delivery drone stories. Oh guess who's Walmart's going to deliver, Domino's is going to deliver? No one has delivered anything from any drone period.
Speaker 2: Stop it. It's so stupid, isn't it? Like once a week there's a drone.
Speaker 4: Got a proble to fly a drone over major metropolitan areas?
Speaker 2: Who your mom can't believe? That set you off? Well, that's amazing. I've been holding a lot of it.
Speaker 1: In lately, somebody gave this guy one thousand dollars who anonymous?
Speaker 2: It must have been his dad. His dad feels bad for his.
Speaker 1: His dad wife because because of his genes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, bro, I should never mind. No, you will not finish that s none and I won't.
Speaker 4: This isn't full metal jacket. Alex Caperella is going to join us once again from NewsNation. We talked to him yesterday. We'll talk about what's going on on that big board, the final polls, what it looks like as we get ready for some of these results to start rolling in in a couple of hours from election day.
Speaker 2: I think you've been cheated. That's the last part of the line.
Speaker 4: Yesterday we talked with News Nations Alex Caperello regarding what's going on with election day as we wind things down and start the ballot counting here in just a few hours.
Speaker 2: So Alex, I wanted to follow up. We talked yesterday about.
Speaker 4: The number of mail in and early in person votes that have been cast, and as of this morning, I saw the number eighty three million votes have either been mailed in or people cast their ballots early. Can we glean anything from not just that number? Of eighty three million early votes. But anything that we can glean from the numbers of people who have voted yet, whether you know party affiliations or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it.
Speaker 3: Depends on which campaign you talk to, right, So Democrats will tell you that that is right within their typical margins that Democrats come out early and vote, and it always is in their favor. If you ask Republican campaigns about it, they're going to say this is going to be a landslide for Donald Trump. Given the fact that so many Republican voters decided to use this method of voting. It's one of those wait and see type periods. I think the one thing that you know we can glean from it is that it's going to take potentially a lot longer this whole election and calling of states process, because it just takes longer to count those early those mail in those absentee ballots. Some states have different laws about when they can actually open up the envelopes day or put them through the machines to actually begin to count. So I think that potentially could be one piece of advice I give to the people that are on the edge of their couch watching these results pour in is that some of these states may just take a lot longer to actually declare what their total vote counts are because they are processing so many more early votes than they normally would.
Speaker 1: Pennsylvania's twenty electoral votes put Joe Biden above the two seventy needed took three and a half days in twenty twenty. What's the situation or what's your prediction on Pennsylvania and when we'll know which way that goes?
Speaker 2: For tonight?
Speaker 3: Well, I think that we should get a rather large chunk of Pennsylvania taken care of by midnight tonight. That being said, Pennsylvania election officials say, don't expect us to get the whole thing or get a very clear picture of who the winner will be until tomorrow night. I think what I'm watching for tonight for the people that will be tuning in the news nation to see how our election coverage unfold are the crucial battleground states of North Carolina and Georgia. They are really on top of their game when it comes to counting the votes. We should have calls for those states by midnight tonight, and based on who that winner is, it really says a lot about the direction of the rest of these states in the direction of the election. Right we talk about the East Coast. If Donald Trump can sweep Pennsylvania, Georgia, and North Carolina, he's got right on the money two hundred and seventy electoral votes. So if we see North Carolina and Georgia tonight, since we should have those results tonight go to Donald Trump, then we have a pretty good idea of how the rest of that unbelt might play out and whether or not Pennsylvania could be the very next one to tumble meaning Wednesday night. Now. Conversely, if Kamala Harris is able to steal, so to speak, one of those two states or basically keep it away from Donald Trump, then that's a good indication that this could be a lot longer of a process of vote counting before an official race can be called.
Speaker 4: Listen, we live in a society where we watch condensed NFL games.
Speaker 2: We want all of our.
Speaker 4: Episodes of our favorite series to drop at once.
Speaker 2: We don't like waiting around.
Speaker 4: Is there going to be a push again for states to change their election laws to.
Speaker 2: End up with faster vote counts in the future.
Speaker 3: I think it's an ever moving target. And you know, I think that each and every election that we go through, we learned some things along the way. You know, it's not uncommon for states to look back in retrospect, see what they could have done better, and then amend their laws in order to do so. We're seeing that already in place, you know, say in Georgia, who's significantly improved their election process. The one question I have is why we still have figured out a national standardized way for all of these states to go ahead and count their votes. That's a question for a much smarter mind than me, But to me, that's really the hurdle and probably speaks to what you're talking about, a sense of dissatisfaction with this whole process that we have to wait on several different swing states that have completely different sets of voting standards. But that is the reality that we're dealing with today. So we just know that some states will come sooner than others. We have to be patient with others.
Speaker 2: All right, Alex, good luck today.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much. We're going to need it in of course, much as you can find our unbiased coverage on News Nation.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Thank you Alex. Again, a lot of caffeine from NewsNation now.
Speaker 1: Capital police have arrested a man attempting to enter the Capital Visitor Center with a torch, a flare gun, and smelling of fuel. He was stopped just after one thirty pm at the screening checkpoint there. That is a place that welcomes about three million visitors per year. It is closed for the day as the investigation into the incident continues.
Speaker 2: I want to know more about the torch. What kind of a torch?
Speaker 4: Well, and the way I saw it described is things that he could use to start a fire. That's what That's the more descriptive version of torch. So there have been a handful of again to use this term, small little fires that have cropped up in different states, and obviously the battleground states is where a lot of the attention is being paid to potential computer problems or ballot problems or delay problems in opening polling places. A judge, for example, in two Cobb County precincts in Georgia, has extended voting for twenty minutes because those two polling places opened late today at the request of the county's election board. The superior court judge extended the deadline to vote to seven at Mount Perrin Church of God and Marietta and Kell High School in Kell. Again, some polls will start closing at about four o'clock our time, a big chunk close at five, another big chunk close at six, and then the polls here in California're going to close at eight o'clock. And as we reference well in the video that will soon be posted, we're going to have extended coverage tonight. John's show is going to go a little bit longer. Conway's going to join him for a little while. Conway's going to go for a little bit longer, then Moe is going to join Conway, and then they're going to do the show together, and then Moe's going to go throughout into the deep recesses of the evening to see if, in fact we get some sort of a some sort of resolution, if anything, by later tonight.
Speaker 1: I'm very jealous. I love working election night. There's a buzz, there's an energy. It's America, it's news, it's democracy.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 1: I love going going back to my first year in radio, working election night into the wee hours of the morning.
Speaker 4: One of the first things I did here on election night at KFI was the election of Governor Schwarzenek. I covered that in Sacramento, and I was at the Beverly Hilton, I believe, and that was a very long night.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but it was fun.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's not a lot to do with those those parties, but it's America. I mean you think about you're asking everybody to get on your team, and then when everybody gets on your team, you throw a giant party.
Speaker 2: And that's America.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's a reason why we call it the Democratic Party and the Republican Party, so that you can signify when you do get eighty million votes or eighty five million or nay, ninety million votes is possible today for one of these candidates, then you throw a giant.
Speaker 2: What I'm just gonna party.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna throw in the eagle, the bald eagle, the fierce beauty of the eagle and its feathers, the independence, the strength, the freedom of the eagle, the eagle's place on the Great Seal of the United States.
Speaker 2: And what is that eagle doing. It's holding an olive branch. Gary, It's holding an olive.
Speaker 1: Branch to signify that we can hold an olive branch out to our brothers and sisters. Here in America and in the other there is an arrow, so we can not only come together, but we can kill each other.
Speaker 2: Thirteen arrows?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: Thirteen arrows? Thirteen arrows and his arms, his wings? I suppose you. Most people call them wide open welcoming. Yeah, there's definitely more than one arrow. There's enough arrows to kill thirteen.
Speaker 1: The founding fathers made that choice because of the thirteen original colonies, because of the power.
Speaker 2: And the beauty of America.
Speaker 4: If you are stressed and are having a late night tonight, you can add these five melatonin rich foods to your diet.
Speaker 2: Nuts.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is nature's melatonin fish. Yeah, this is a Mediterranean type situation.
Speaker 2: Eggs, Yep, tart cherries. So the team.
Speaker 1: Has this tart cherry melatonin and magnesium drink.
Speaker 2: It tastes awful. Yeah, I hate it.
Speaker 1: But I can't take melatonin because like everything else that a little bit goes a long.
Speaker 4: Way, makes a five hour cross country flight go by, and a half a blink, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I've only tried it once and I couldn't even finish all of it because don't drink it unless you make it. Oh no, no, they're in pouches. They're like in sil pouch. Also, cow's milk.
Speaker 4: Help you go to sleep, determine how many hours of sleep you need and if it doesn't it doesn't have to be the magic eight, but some some You got to figure out exactly how to do this. Avoid social jet lag. Go to bed and wake up at about the same time you did the day before. It's the most important thing you can do to improve your sleep.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 4: Pick designated times for news consumption and have a hard cut off.
Speaker 2: Figure out what you're going to do and do that? Is that me? Are you I just butt dially from four feet away? No, it was I called our Instagram page. I don't know that makes sense. Scared me. I'm sorry. I was like, who's calling the Instagram? I'm sorry. I didn't even know you could call an Instagram page. What would you have said if our Instagram page?
Speaker 1: I hit the wrong button? I hit the wrong button? Boy, stick your daily health retieve. Oh and then this was this was the good what do you call it? Exercise news that I had for you?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, all right, this is and this is going to make you feel better. I can't wait if you're too busy to exercise during the week, right, If you have a regular schedule, maybe you're a Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
Speaker 2: Maybe you're Monday through Friday. How you do it? Scientists have some good news for you.
Speaker 4: Weekend workouts maybe just as effective at protecting your brain health as regular Monday to Friday exercise.
Speaker 2: That's excellent news.
Speaker 4: So the study tracked over ten thousand adults for sixteen years, and they found that those weekend warriors, those people who exercise just once or twice a week, had a twenty five percent lower risk of developing mild dementia compared to those who didn't exercise at all.
Speaker 1: For me, if I the more I work out, the less I work out, so to speak.
Speaker 2: And here's what I mean.
Speaker 1: If I know I'm working out four days a week, I'm not going to put as much into it four days a week because I know I'll be working out four days a week. But if I know I can only work out two days a week, I'm gonna go I'm gonna go for it, and I'm gonna give it all.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give it up my all. Uh there's anything to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're supposed to do.
Speaker 4: What is it thirty minutes of somewhat strenuous exercises. Not supposed to You don't have to go crazy now all the time.
Speaker 1: You get the blood pumping once a day, walk around, yeah, break out into a sweat once a day.
Speaker 4: One of the stories we didn't get to with Neil was a discussion about the fart walk.
Speaker 2: Have you ever heard about that? No, yes, you have, No, I have not.
Speaker 4: You go and have a big meal and then you go for a walk. Now, I had never heard about I'd never heard it referred to that way. But it's good to help your digestion, it's good to help your blood sugar levels, especially after a big calorie rich meal. You get up and go for a walk, take the dog for a walk, or take yourself for a walk, or somebody like that.
Speaker 2: But do that. I think that's the way to do it.
Speaker 1: I think that's wonderful. I think this is a greatcellent advice, a great great thing. Look at you making America help.
Speaker 4: And if the election anxiety is keeping you awake, you need to turn everything off.
Speaker 2: It just turn off. It's time for True Crime Tuesday. True the story is true. That's true. No, it sounds made up.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Garry and Shannon present True Crime.
Speaker 1: Well, this month marks the fiftieth anniversary of the capture of a serial killer, Paul John Knowles, nicknamed the Casanova Killer. This is a guy who was suspected of murdering at least eighteen people during four month crime spree. That is a high kill count for four months. Eighteen people, more than four people, two people a month. Yeah, And one of the great things about this story, I mean, not that there's a lot of great things about a serial killer story, but I guess the one great thing is that it was a Vietnam veteran who apprehended him and delivered him to authorities in November of nineteen seventy four. He was charming, he was good looking. Paul John Knowles was and he was the target of an extensive man hunt. He bragged his lawyer at one point that he killed up to thirty five people, but that claim remains unverified.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 4: So he meets his girlfriend, Angela Covid. She had lived in San Francisco. They corresponded after he saw her name in the pen pal column of an astrology magazine.
Speaker 2: That's just something the red flag, red flag, red flag, but.
Speaker 4: Still she visited him in prison, eventually hired attorney representative. At a parole hearing in seventy four, he was paroled on condition that he moved to San Francisco, where she had gotten a job gotten him a job with a billboard company, but he never made it to work. He left California just four days later. It goes back to Florida. His first alleged homicide victim was a retired teacher in Jacksonville, Alice Curtis.
Speaker 1: Man living in Jacksonville isn't bad enough. You've got to get murdered too. Imagine that you live in Jacksonville. You've spent your whole career teaching braddy little kids, and you end up getting murdered.
Speaker 4: Over the next four month, they said months. He was believed to have left a trail of victims, most of them women, but there were men and children mixed in there, and it seems like he chose them all at random.
Speaker 1: Chilling, some of them sexually assaulted, including post mortem. Jim Josie was a former police officer in Millageville, Georgia, where this guy appeared before a judge after being captured. He told a local TV station that this guy had no motive for his murdering spree. He had no compunction about killing you. It makes no difference whether he strangled you, whether he shot you, whether he stabbed you, or what. He was a martial arts expert, tough and mean. One of his victims, Barbara Abel, made it out alive after being held captive by this guy in a motel in Fort Pierce, Florida for eighteen hours. She told People magazine this year, I didn't know who he was, but I knew he could kill me. I decided I would do whatever I needed to survive. Another woman who crossed paths with this guy was a woman by the name of Sandy. She was a British journalist who described him physically as a cross between Robert Redford and Ryan O'Neill.
Speaker 2: Wow, that goes to the whole.
Speaker 4: He was a handsome guy and was probably able to get closer to people that way. A twenty so he was eventually chased by law enforcement, crashed his vehicle through a police roadblock, and he escaped on foot and.
Speaker 2: He's in the forest.
Speaker 4: Basically, twenty seven year old hospital mechanic lived near McDonough Georgia and he spent the weekend in the mountains. He was hunting with relatives, unaware of the fact that this man hunt was going on. But on his way back home, he runs into a roadblock about three miles away from his house, and he says, they looked in the truck. They waved me on through.
Speaker 1: He said, I didn't know what was happening. Once I got home, his wife wasn't there. He decided to get back in the truck check on his live stock, so he parked. He starts walking toward the animals and sees a figure in the woods. This guy came out of the edge of the woods, said he'd be been in an automobile accident. He was disheveled and torn up from the brier patches, and he had a shotgun on his hand. This guy says, I put two and two together. I knew was connected to that roadblock. So he goes to his truck to retrieve his shotgun, walks back to the serial killer. He says, he looks like he was going to raise his shotgun, so I pointed mine at him, and I told him to drop the shotgun or I was going to.
Speaker 2: Blow his f and head off, and he complied.
Speaker 4: He dropped the gun and David Clark directed him to walk towards his house. The guy had asked to go in for some water, but David Clark refused. He asked me what my name was, and I told him I didn't ask him who he was. We didn't have any conversation. I was just directing him what to do. So they eventually he walks the serial killer across the street asks the neighbors to call police.
Speaker 2: They talk.
Speaker 4: One neighbor, a preacher, said that he'd seen these two men walking across the street and hustle his wife and kids and a couple of neighboring kids to hide in a rear bedroom and closet. He heard another neighbor yelling at him to leave because he was just scaring people, and he told her to call police. And while they waited, David Clark said that Knowles asked him to tell police not to hurt him. Said he was afraid that they were going to shoot him right there in the front yard.
Speaker 1: Well, it all came to an end for him. In December nineteen seventy four, he was being transported. He was in the backseat alone handcuffs, leg irons. That wasn't a squad car, it was a personal car of the sheriff. And this guy, the serial killer, was able to free one of his hands by picking the lock off his handcuffs. He reached over to grab the sheriff's gun, and the special agent in the passenger seat turned around shot him three times in the chest.
Speaker 2: Dead, just like that, Just like that. That's quite a story heard of the Pasenova killer.
Speaker 1: I hadn't either, but a cross between Robert Redford and Ryan O'Neill.
Speaker 2: Well, good looking guys. Okay, still, I mean I guess, well one of them's dead. Are they both dead? They're not both dead? I don't think so. Wait, who's dead, Ryan O'Neil, Yeah, he's dead. Is that what you were going to say?
Speaker 4: I would have said that of the two of them, I would think that he is the one who has passed.
Speaker 2: Robert Redford's not dead. I don't think so. Not in my heart, he's not. I don't know if that means that he's still walking in the physical world. He's alive. He's alive. Thank you, guys, shaved one today you've been listening to the Gary and Shannon show.
Speaker 4: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app