Speaker 1: A PW Torch VIP membership doesn't just give you ad free access to these shows and a ton of other VIP exclusive podcasts throughout the week, but you also gain access to our unmatched vast library of wrestling history, our contemporaneous week to week coverage through our progressing Torch weekly newsletters dating back to the late nineteen eighties, along with streaming and download access to hundreds of retro radio shows from the nineteen nineties, including some of my interviews with wrestling's top newsmakers in the nineties, and also our podcast library dating back to the year two thousand and three. There's no larger, longer spanning pro wrestling podcast library than that that comes with a PW Torch VIP membership. Now approaching twenty years of podcasting, go vip and dive into our post pay per view roundtables, our coverage of some of your favorite eras of wrestling, top name long form interviews, and special format podcasts that we've done throughout the years. Pwtorch dot com slash go vip. We have a streamline signup form and you can pay with PayPal or directly with your credit card or debit card in one or two minutes from right now, you can be a VIP member and diving into our library. PW torch dot com, slash go VIP.
Speaker 2: Now, PW Torch and Spreaker bring you the Wade Killer Pro Wrestling Podcast. It's time for the weekly flagship talking current events in pro wrestling.
Speaker 1: All right, Todd, Well, let's begin with a conversation about Sid Vicious, Sid Uty, Sid Justice, Psycho Sid. You can kind of tell when someone became a fan in bart if it was during the nineties, based on how they knew sidbest, what they remember him most as, or at least what wrestling they were watching. When you think of Sid, what name that he used comes to mind? First?
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought you would go differently. I thought I thought you were gonna say based on how fondly they remember them, because I think you had to sort of be there to sort of remember him fondly. I don't know that there's gonna be a big difference in terms of like how people remember him, because I mean, he was you know, I mean people known from Sid Vicious principally from you know, the eighty nine to ninety you know. Then well, I mean, because there's the w he jumped around because the guy, you know, the guy wasn't terribly reliable. But I mean he was said Vicious eighty nine to ninety one, and then you know, said Justice in ninety one ninety two, and then said Vicious ninety three to ninety five, and then you know, Psycho said from ninety five to you know ninety seven, and then you know Sid Vicious again in ninety nine two thousand. So I don't know, that's so much of a generational thing. I The first said I knew was Sid Justice, because as I mentioned from time to time on the show, that when I got into wrestling again was when I moved back to the States from Singapore, where I'd been living. And I was very excited because I've been watching old tapes in Singapore that I didn't realize we're old tapes from like six months in the past. And then I returned to the States and I was back up on live that w television is supposed to like six month three runs. I was like, oh my god, all this stuff happened. It was very exciting. And when that happened, it was the build for Summerson like Tanty one and uh and that was you know, one of the hooks of Summer semin ninety one was the debuting Sid Justice for for the UH for the tag match with with Hogan and and Warrior against the US called the Triangle of Terror, the Sergeant slaudron and and UH and UH General Mustafa Iron Cheek. So that was where I first knew him. But I think he's better known on balance as either Sid Vicious or Psycho said, And I would say Sid Vicious is what I think most people call him, or just Sid, just because he's known under a bunch of different names.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So what do you what do you think of his place in wrestling history, you know, kind of what what tear or category does to kind of fall into in terms of what what he's known for, his level of success, his impact, his UH sort of subjective aesthetic contributions.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't think he'll be like terribly well remembered in the big picture because he didn't ultimately be He didn't ultimately ultimately end up being a difference maker in the way I think people were thinking he might be at one point. But I mean there was the period there where people were thinking that he would be a big deal because I mean, uh, I mean, and and he fit for the He fit the times, you know, like he you know, he's this big, muscle bound dude. Not a good wrestler, but that didn't matter at that point, a bit of a head case outside the ring, which did matter ultimately, And you know, he's the sort of person that the you know that big promotions would you know, would really sort of clamor over, you knows, this guy that just sort of looked the role at that at work, looked the part at that point. What I find interesting about him is that you would think that, you know, with that archetype, that he'd be someone that was not as well received by you know, hardcore fans, who would you know, sort of think this guy isn't very good. But that wasn't the case at all. He was the hardcore fan choice back then. I think it reflects the way one of the ways that wrestling business has changed. You know, I myself gravitated towards better performers most of the time, you know, from the point I was a kid, but I really liked to city to speak myself, and most big longtime fans I talked to did as well that were there through that time. Period because you know, fans at that point cared more about wrestler's coming off is as badasses, and he came off like a total badass. You know, the swagger, the way he talked. You know, he'd come to the ring talking trash, you know, about to murder some porchemo. And there was sort of a Mike Tyson element to his squash matches where you know, he was coming out there to you know, to to cause mayhem, and that was you know, that was appealing. There was an energy to it, and you know, while he could say some goofy stuff sometimes I thought also he was a very effective interview, you know, with the gimmick of speaking softly and then screaming, screaming loudly, and then speaking softly again. You know, it wasn't you know it. It didn't always work, but I thought it it often was was very effective. And you know, from the time he started heating up with you know, with the skyscrapers, you know, the places that he tended to be the big biggest were you know those you know, those Northeast audiences. You know, if you go back and watch those old uh you know it was you wouldn't watch the all VHS tapes now, but you know, you watch those shows from that time period he was coming up. You know, he had the the big reactions in Philly, Baltimore, New York. Those were you know, some of his big cities, and there's an element of danger there.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Power bomb was on the top move that era. All sorts of people have that as a finisher or a variation of it as a finisher, and I would argue that no one's power bomb looked more impressive or more dangerous than sids, you know sometimes because it was often pretty dangerous. You know, he injured some people with that, but it looked, it looked, it looked very impressive, and you know, it made for a you know, an impressive package for you know, shorter explosive matches. In particular. He was not someone to you know, to throw in a you know, in a fifteen minute match and expected to be any good. I can't. I can't even think of a single longer sit match it was good. Yeah, I mean I suppose if it went and looked into it, you know, I could probably find something that I enjoyed those longer but I can't think of one, you know, but it didn't. It didn't matter that much for that time period. But I mean, ultimately, you know, as much at the beginning, he didn't have the career that he could have because he was constantly sabotaging himself. You know, when he got hot with the Skyscrapers and joined the Horseman, he was going to be one of the top stars in the business. But it just, you know, one thing after another. You know, there was using Harvey Wipplman's urine for for a drug test and then getting fired when Vince von am In after you know, a massive push. There was you know, the squeegee incident with with Brian Pellman. More infamous the scissors incident with Arn Anderson when he was going to be WCW champion, which led to Ric Flair taking his place and having what I think was the last you know, really great match of you know, classic match of Rick Flair's career against Vader at starr K ninety three, which would not have happened in that you know particular setting, if if if Sid hadn't gotten the thing with Arn, you know, constantly getting released or fired and bouncing around. You know, I heard you talking about it sort of like as a guy that sort of like was missing something, and perhaps he was, but I don't really think of it that as being born out in the sense that like, there are people that like, you know, like they were given their run, and the promotion was hoping that they'd make it at a bigger level than they did, and they just didn't take as with the fans as the promotion hoped that they would. But with said, the thing was that you know, the periods where he would have been most likely to you know, to succeed h you know, he would get injured or something would come up before we got a chance to see, you know, how well it would have done. And so we never really, I thought, got the sort of the definitive answer on that. And you know, he got world title runs a few times later on, but by that point it was you know, the you know, in ninet ninety seven and nine sinety nine, those are just you know, like measures to get to something else. Those aren't the idea of like, oh, we're going to build around said in the way ww was preparing to in ninety one, in ninety three again, and WF was preparing to in ninety two. But you know, circumstances Uh, circumstances intervened, And that's sort of the way I think of of of Sid Uh principally is Uh is a guy where he just sort of shot himself in his own foot. But in some ways I kind of wish wrestling was more like Sid's wrestling. You know, like, yeah, you get some bad in the ring as opposed to a lot of good in the ring. But I like the feeling that I think people were energized by with Sid, which was wrestlers were you know, dangerous wild cards rather than well behaved art students, and that was, you know, that was the appeal of of of Sid. It was it was much more of an m a fighter thing where you know, like you know, you're you're like, oh my god, this guy's going to kill some people. I would argue it is different than a lot of the sort of the muscle bound types of that time period, although there was, I mean, that was part of the appeal just muscle on people in general. It was the idea that they were like a physical threat from that, but like he was less like the idea of like oh it doesn't need you know, look, you know, looks so impressive though he did, but more the attitude and demeanor, which I think would have translated even if he didn't have the exact same body type. And as you know what I mean, he wasn't his muscle miner earlier in his career like he only you know, he sort of got more jacked up as he uh as he went on.
Speaker 1: How do you think he would have translated to today's wrestling? Where would he fit in or not fit in? And where would you recommend he'd be slotted or how he would be used? If you know, you got kind of his peak, you know, five six years of access.
Speaker 3: I don't think it would translate very well because the the the the key with him was, you know, the the elements I talked about. And you know, now people fans are so much more interested in the quality of work, and if you don't have that quality of the world, people kind of get bored of you over time, even if they become interested for a period, just because there's so much television and if you can't really go very much, you know, it's it's difficult to be like a weekly presence week after week with work as as as bad as sid I you know, I compare it to Wardlow, where like you know, in war there is a better at wrestler than Sid ever was. But like the hook of Wardlow was similar to the hook of Sid, Like just sort of explosive, impressive looking guy in the context of the roster, and you know, would do a you know, a squash match that looked impressive and sort of destroy people, you know, with power bombs. So you know, sort of a similar dynamic there. And you know, Wardlow got over for a time period there, but it was difficult for him to sustain. I think for similar reasons they would be difficult to sustain, and said now, I think, you know, the fan base of today, even some of the people that liked him back then, if a you know version of him came along now, I think the same people, if they've been watching the whole time, would be more likely to turn up their nose at them now than they would back then because the context of everything has changed.
Speaker 1: Thanks for downloading today's show. Take it to the next level with a VIP membership. Get shows like this, the Weaight Keller Prosing podcast, Weightkeller Prosing Post Show, and the PW Torch daily casts on our PW Torch VIP podcast feed with ads and plugs removed from the shows for a streamlined listening experience, and also hear the VIP exclusive shows that I host with Rich Fan and Todd Martin, Everything with Rich Fan and The Fix with Todd Martin signature VIP series that you're missing out without a VIP membership. So go VIP here in twenty twenty two and enjoy all the benefits, all the bonus content and the ad free listening experience. PW Torch dot com slash go VIP all right, A quick introduction here. This is the Waight Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast, a special Thursday flagship edition for August twenty ninth, twenty twenty four. And I am Wade Keller, the editor, publisher and founder of the Progressing Torch newsletter and the website pw toorch dot com and the host of a variety of podcasts throughout the week, including the Wayde Keller Podcasts, the Wadekeller Post shows those are free, and also a variety of VIP shows, one of which is The Fix with Todd Martin. I host that every Thursday. We talk for usually over four hours. First half roughly is current events, the second half is the Fixed mail bag where listeners of The Fix send in an eclectic, wide ranging mix of current events, historical, and just kind of fun offbeat questions that mostly Todd answers, but I join in also a decent amount of the time. And that is a VIP exclusive show, which you can find out more about at Pwtorch dot com slash go VIP. It is a many VIP members look forward to this show on a weekly basis, and now you get a chance to listen for yourself and see if you might be one of those people who wants to hear it. Every week on a semi regular basis, we feature a simulcast of that week's Fixed Current Events show as the flagships. You get a sense of what the show is like, and this is one of those weeks, So let's get back to it. We have so much more to cover, including thoughts on the vincick Mann documentary. The docu series is coming out on Netflix, premiering in about a month, and a lot more about WWE's lead up to Bashion Berlin with a preview of Bashion Berlin, and much more. But first we're going to move on to a discussion about Brian Danielson winning the aw World title. I've got a bunch of thoughts and questions for Todd about where we go from here and the path to getting here. So let's get back to the conversation. I want to start before we get into kind of running down some of the AWTV leading into the pay per view. Is just the way the news about Brian Danielson and now we handled yesterday on Dynamite announcing or clarifying or confirming the way he's gonna handle the title Ragne, which is he's going to defend it, be a fighting champion and then when he loses, he will not be a full time wrestler anymore. With a little tease that he was going to give up the title and not defend it at all. What you think of a way of the way w handled it and uh, and then Danielson's delivery the message and uh and then Jack Perry stepping up and how they how they went about that.
Speaker 3: That is a great segment. I thought. Uh, I thought Danielson was, you know, a strong as the sympathetic guy that you like and a is uh, you know, sort of teasing you a little bit with the idea that maybe you won't get any more of him, which is just you know, there to make you excited that you're going to get more of him and make the what's uh left of his title run feel film, more fuel, more pressions. So so yeah, I thought I thought it was a strong close to the show and a uh good way to you know, a good way to uh to cook coffin Ryan. And I think, you know, Perry's a perfectly fine choice, particularly giving you only have a two week beild as the uh the guy for him to uh to uh you know, go against and presumably go over before they move on to other things.
Speaker 1: Do you think jack Berry and Danielson headlines goes on last?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think I don't think it's going to be the most anticipated match on the show, but I think, you know, they are good enough that I think Tony will trust them too, you know, to have a really good match and it's the world you know, it's the mentoral title, and you know, I think probably the match it'll I mean, we'll see, but I would think that the match it will be the the most anticipator will probably be the hangman uh swerve match. But you know it's not it's not aw'smo or most companies mos to have, you know, the guy that h that they just lost the world title put on last you know after the guy that just won the world title kind of undercuts the world tyler?
Speaker 2: Do that?
Speaker 1: Uh kind of big picture with Danilson right now? What value does he have as the world champion in terms of TV ratings, pay per view, match quality, adding to aw's legacy, their current brand, all of that at this time and relative to what he might have meant if they did this earlier, and would they have really missed out by not doing it at all? How do you feel about that?
Speaker 3: Well? I mean, certainly they could have gotten more out of him than they had. As you've noted, he's and has been evident. You know, they've had him sort of losing a lot and been in sort of position of the other person being the focus and he's sort of there to try to get over other people and you know it, and you know, oftentimes he's sort of been more of the you know, either the subtle hero, more overt heal when people just like him a lot, which doesn't end up being a great role for him. So I don't think they've gotten a ton out of him to this point. Other than he's a great performer and so you get, you know, really good matches out of him, and he's a cool personality. Having your television, he's you know, more of a star than than than most people they have, but it's an ensemble promotion. He hasn't been been a big difference maker one way or another, and I don't expect him to be a big difference maker, uh you know during his titleign because you know, he's already been sort of rained the level he is and you know, over the over the time period, we haven't seen in aw uta, you know, the world champion typically been being a big, a big driver of business anyway. You know, it's sort of the biggest indicator of whether aw pay per views are doing well is it's just sort of how much interest there is in the product generally speaking. And you know, the exceptions the rule have been things like Sam Punk and uh instincts retirement and Danison hasn't been uh presented at that level. Could he theoretically have been a different difference maker at that level potentially, but you know it's it's at this point, it's hypothetical, I think.
Speaker 1: And from a title Wayne state sandpoint, how long do you think he's going to hold the title? Do you have any any inclination?
Speaker 3: I think I'll probably lose it before the end of the year, but I'm not sure exactly how long they'll uh they'll do it. I mean, just more because he's uh, you know, he's been pretty explicit about the idea of of wanting to get out there soon, or rather get out of there, you know, in terms of a full time before sooner rather than later. So it would seem odd after, you know, sort of making a point of that that he then worked for another year in this role. But I mean, I, as we've talked to him many times, I'm expecting you know, him to you know, to lose the title and maybe take three months off and then just you know, it'll it won't be that different than what it is right now. I'm not unexpecting this to be a big, you know, a big change in Danielson's career, even if he's thinking it was more of a change right now. I just there's way, way, way too much history and progressing of everybody you know coming back and wanted to continue to work because they enjoy doing it, and Danielson enjoys doing it more than most of those people, and he's already been less you know, committal on the idea of like stepping aside than most of those people were too. So yeah, I you know, I'm not I kind of grit my teeth a little bit when I hear people talk about retirement, because the idea of that he's going to retire anytime soon just seems farcical to me. Like I you know, we were talking before the before the show about sort of probabilities and like, you know, like barring some sort of you know, serious injury. I mean, the the odds that he's not going to be wrestling, you know, barring injury in twenty thirty two strike me is really really low. I mean, I really think the only thing that would stop him is injury, and I'd be willing to go much later than that, you know. In terms of predicting where this thing ends up, Yeah, I put.
Speaker 1: A pull up on people ge Torch asking for people to say which Danielson match or which Danielson Tittle defense opponent they're most eager to see. Nigel McGinnis is in first place of twenty four percent. Well Last Ray second place fifteen percent. John Moxley, Kazuchikolkata and mjf all in double digits, and then Darby allan Christian Cage at nine percent swerves Strickland in a rematch way down at six percent. Does anything I just throw out there surprise you? And where are you in terms of the matches that on two levels one you'd most like to see happen. I know you think there's eight plus years to go to see him in these matches, but playing out the idea that the odds perhaps go down quite a bit in terms of how frequent he will be wrestling. If you were willing to stipulate to that, what would you like to see him get in in the next several months on that list or anyone that identic glued to.
Speaker 3: The pole, I mean, like it's it doesn't matter that much in the short term because even if you're promised on the eddie, he's not gonna be wrestling very much like when it comes back for big matches. Those the sorts of big matches he's gonna have, so it's not really a hurry. And in any of those, I mean, it makes sense that McGinnis would be would come up high because that's the match, you know, whether intentionally from a promotional standpoint or not, that that is the one that's been built the most with Nigel, you know, doing all the discussion on commentary and reminding people of the program that he had with them back there, along with you know, the fact that he put in a pretty good showing overall it all in that I've got people talking about that. And you know, he had you know, a a great, you know, phenomenal match with with with Osprey last time out, and uh, you know Okada, he had really good matches it as well. Well I think there were two, but yeah, if I'm yeah, I'm pretty sure they were really good as well. So you know, all of those makes sense and and uh and they've got a lot of a lot of good options. I don't think there's any sort of obvious you know, like, oh, this is what you've well you've definitely got to do. And I mean Danielson is also a guy where like he you know, he just wants to work with people that sort of you know, strike his uh his fancy for for you know, for for one reason or another, Like you know, he really wanted to work with with Etchi Sero. You know, he talked about wanted to work with you know, I think I think he's trying to want to work with minors Zuki uh and and uh and uh Atlantis and and I remember talking I wanted to work with with Blue Panther at one point. And so like there's you know, there's a lot of a lot of people that sort of you know, are appealing for formal reason or another. I think that's you know, one of the reasons they're doing the Darby Allen thing, the two you know, the two guys from the Pacific Northwest. I don't think they've had a match, and so, you know, I think, uh, you know, that's another one that you know, sort of jumps out at him as just sort of a fun match from the do. So there's there's tons of options. And danis and is such a fun uh such a fun wrestler to watch, and he has so many different styles that he can work very effectively. That makes him, you know, a good opponent for for pretty much anybody. And and uh, you know, he's he's also a guy that can have different types of matches with different sorts of opponents. There are some opponents who can have a you know, great match with with most people, but it'll be their type of match, and Danisen can have great matches different sorts of people. It'll be different types of matches. So you know, there's plenty of plenty of good options.
Speaker 1: When he hands the belt off to the next guy. Is there somebody that makes the most sense who might benefit the most from beating somewhat of Danielson's stature, or it doesn't really matter if even if it's a transitional champion who loses it on the next pay per view, the Danielson handoff isn't isn't important enough to even worry about who that person is. It's more just what's convenient at the time they want to kind of run out the calendar on his reign.
Speaker 3: The latter I mean, I think I think you just look at whoever you want to see get the next opponent. I mean, I like, as I said, I mean, if you're if the premise of the idea is that people in three years are gonna be talking about the end of Danielson's career and this guy ended Danison's career, then yeah, you'd be thinking on that context. But you know, as I started outline, that's not the way I'm thinking, I'm thinking about it as you know that that it's just going to be it's going to be the end of Dani's the title on and Danis will still be around doing match some time to time, maybe less frequently, maybe not all that much less frequently, And so the idea of like, I'm the person that beat Danielson is not going to stand out in the way that it would wear a different circumstance. So you know, I don't think I don't think it matters so much who beats him from that context and his mortgage to question who you think is is a good choice the next champion, and you know it's I mean, things are sort of up in the air and that in that regard and that you know, aw sort of ram through. I mean, Tony's talked about how he had his plan for who he was going to put the title on for the first you know, so many title ons, and he you know, hit all of those, and you know, from that point they hit other you know, sort of top people, and you know it at this point it's sort of not you know, it's not clear who you know, who's who are going to be the champions moving forward and that's fine. You know, they can sort of map it out to go along. I mean, I'm sure, I'm sure Tony likes the idea of having, you know, put in the title on a cot at some point. But other than that, I mean, I don't, you know, I'm not sure it will jump out in his uh, in his mind.
Speaker 5: Need an extra dose of positivity in your wrestling podcasts, will come join me Alan frel Over in the Progress Paradise at PWOOD Torch VIP as we mask on the bright side of wrestling and focus on some of the great matches and shows from around the world, be it the US, Japan, Europe or Mexico. There's always a place for wrestlings past in the Paradise too, and we've done fun historical shows such as the We Love Liger series celebrating the glorious career of Jusian thunder Lighter and Our Eye Was There When shows where our guests will join me to talk about a classic bout that they were in attendance for. We love variety and you can expect lots of it at the Pro wrest Paradise. Detailed PW Torch VIP subscription information and a list of all all the VIP benefits is available at pterwrew torch, vip info dot com and yes, all VIP podcasts are compatible with popular podcast apps on iPhone and Android devices, or you can stream them directly from our ad free VIP mobile site, see You in the Paradise.
Speaker 1: As a thought exercise, if Danielsen wrestles rarely after he loses a title, it like for years to come, but maybe he comes back in four years and that's a long run, like you know, Adam Copeland, and you do want to hand it off to someone, so three years from now, using your words, we're still talking about it is does that person exist right now in the roster like we're you'd be like, well, okay. As a thought exercise, even though I'm establishing I don't think there's a likelihood of this. Is there somebody on the roster. I'm kind of curious who you'd come up with that that like, yeah, if that's the case, if this is a big deal, it's Danielsen truly the end of his full time career, a couple of matches every few years at most he has Again, is there someone you'd be like, yeah, that should be the person.
Speaker 3: I mean I don't think people fans are that concerned with the idea of, oh, this person beat that person, you know, to close out some specific thing. I think that was a bigger deal during the time period when people thought of it as more real and the sort of the context what's going on to you have, like, oh, you ended this big thing. It was like a bigger deal, like you know, people remembering Ivan Coleo Off being Bruno San Martino for example. I don't think that dynamic is there as much anymore. But I mean with that said, I mean there's a lot of talent on the roster, so I mean you could you could pick a you know, a variety of uh of people that it would be good to give them, you know, sort of an added bump of one sort or another, and you know, you would you would gravitate more I think towards younger people in that role you know that you know you're gonna have for a while. I mean, I wouldn't choose Perry, even though he's on the younger side and the short of potential, I don't I don't see him as being a guy that's sort of going to be a perennial top guy. I've talked in the past about about Tekashtra and uh, you know, you know, thinking of him as a guy that could be a you know, a top guy for a long period of time in in a w and still you know, still under thirty. But I don't know that they they think of him that way. So you know, that's sort of them, it's that But those are those are the you know, those are the people that that uh that that come to mind at first. I mean, I I don't know that, you know, I don't know that it would be sort of the right dynamic with sort of wanting it back from him and then sort of uh, you know, using that as sort of a talking point with him, even though he's a guy that they're gonna, you know, have plans for over the long haul, and uh, you know they already did you know, they already had mg I beat Danielson and you know some memorable and memorable feud you know, a little while back. So I don't know that he would get a lot more out of going back and being in Danielson again. So yeah, there's isn't someone that you know in particular that seems like the one guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 3: Too.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think there's bros and cons to just a handful of names, some of whom you covered, but a lot can happen in terms of how they're portrayed in the next two to three months too. You know, Katta could get ice cold or a little hotter. Garcia could catch fire and you're like, oh, maybe that's the guy, even if he's not long term champion we want him to have on his record he did that. I'm just grabbing sort of random names off, you know, off the top of my head. Those those factors could change. But again, it is under the premise that it would even matter at all, because if Danielson just ends up wrestling, you know, in a way that's not super distinguishable from how often he's been wrestling lately over the last few years in the perception of aw fans, then it's not gonna matter. Okay, well, let's let's just pivot and I'll throw you to run down Rampage and Collision and the lead up to all in this weekend.
Speaker 3: So Rampage Star with Kylo Riley, Mark Bresco and Tomo. Here is she beating Beast, Mortos, buying Cage and Johnny TV when O'Reilly submitted Johnny TV pretty good. And then after that the rest of the show, We're Squashes. Roderick Strong went to squash of Fuego do Soul. I can't remember the last time foeg dol was on AW television, and the answer was twenty twenty two won a squash over Robin Renegade. Karashida did an interview where she was very angry that no one cares Mercedes Money cheated to beat her and angry that she's lower on the card heading into all in. Obviously she wasn't on all in, and you know, uh, basically it was pretty clear that she's turning heel and she wasn't fully heal here, but it you know, it was it was not subtle that that's where this is going. And uh, she's really been working on her English, which is it's quite good. So I was impressed by that. And uh yeah, she cut a uh an angry, indignant promo and is you know, a uh a positive trait. I think of a lot of heel turns. She had a specific reason for why she's presumably going to start acting like more of a jerk, and there was you know, there's you could see your point there. You know, there was a righteous indignation, which you know, then we'll move in UH in the wrong direction presumably. Then we got another squash, gatesw Agony beating the Iron Savages, and final squash was the one Eric's beating the odd Runners in ten minutes. And then at the end of the show they did that thing where a big show's coming up, so a bunch of random people ran out and they fought to UH to close the show. Then Collision started with Mark Briscoe, Kylo Riley in Orange Cassidy beating Roderick Strong, Matt Tavin and Mike Bennett. Match kind of kind of odd that they you know, the show on Friday started with a very similar match the show that started the show on Saturday, and one was in Texas and the other was in England but taped you know, a week apart, but not a big deal. Willow and Nightingale beat Harley Cameron a quick match. They set up a ten man tag with Dustin, Sammy Shabbata and Van Erics for the pay per view. Shabbata beat Jay Lethal. It was okay. They did a training vignette for Stokey Hathaway and Chris Christtlander going into the mixed tag on the pay per view, and I guess in the pre show, I figured they play it for total comedy, and there was some comedy, but they played it more straight than I expected. Then Stokely and Statt beat kidcos two and Nina Samuels in a very quick match in advance of the match with is She and Willow, so nice to get a few, a few uh you know, sort of names from the from the local scene and progress on the show. And up to that point it had been a you know, typical uneventful collision. And then Hook and Big Bill are having a match, and again there's there's not not a ton to it, you know, just a continuation of what had been kind of a sleepy show. And all of a sudden, Big Bill starts mocking Hook and tazzes mannerisms, and the crowd decides, damn it, we're gonna have some fun here, and they start wildly cheering Bill. They're popping for everything he does, they're booing everything Hook does. They're just having fun with it. It was not happening like that at all until until Bill started doing those mannerisms. And I think if I were. You know, I think if I were Hook, I probably wouldn't be very happy with it because, uh, you know it was him sort of doing that that you know, that that that turned the crowd and and uh made it harder for for for Hook, but you know, he know, he's just trying to get some some at some reaction, and uh, you know, it became a very fun atmosphere and hooked one with the contage. Crowd booed, but it was still a fun time there. Then we got Jeff, Jared and Aria Davari in a ten minute match with those suspense and that sounds like an awful way to be wasting time the night before your biggest annual show. Jeff, Jared and Ario Davari for ten minutes. But the crowd again decided they're going to have some fun, and so they pop huge for Jeff. They chanted for Jeff, they sang for Jeff, they cheered for Jeff. He was having a ball. He was like, it's the glory Days again.
Speaker 1: Another another MPE few years ago, more.
Speaker 3: Sore, significantly more so. It was you know, it was you know the Jeff you know, double j rides again. He was thinking, he was he was having you know, having having dreams in there of holding the world title again, and uh, it ended up being really fun time and then the main event was Claudio.
Speaker 1: Is is it an Is it a good thing that the biggest things or one of some of the biggest things getting a reaction in a W would be something like that, Like, is that a sign the crowd is It's like, you know, the acclaimed in Billy Gunn getting the biggest pop Like, is that success? So it validates putting Billy gun there? Or does it mean you're you're not getting people excited about current things? So basically harmless fun or a symptom of something that maybe should be a little a little concerning.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it's definitely not a good sign. I wouldn't put it though in terms of AW promotion in general and more the Collision brand, because you know, this was I don't think specific to to AW in general. I mean perhaps it was in general, but it was more, you know, Collision just doesn't offer you very much and this show did not offer you very much. And so the crowd, which you know, these you know, the crowds you know in Europe love you know, participating and getting exciting and getting excited and whatnot, and so you know, they I think wanted to have a good time, and you know they they got you know again Briscoe, O'Reilly and Orange against Strong, Tavin and Bennett, which is fine, Will Nightingale against Harley, Cameron Shabbat against Jay Lethal, you know, Stokely and Statlander against kid like us Too and Nina Samuels, you know, and then hooking Big Bill and you know, crowd just decided Hey, I mean, which still isn't like that big of a match, but it's like, hey, we want to get into this. So I don't view it as sort of like a you know, sort of we don't care about anything that's going on in AW because you know, MGF was not at there, Osprey was not out there. You know, Danilson was not out there, Swore was not out there. None of these people were on the show. You know. The main event is we'll talk about here was Claudio, Wheeler, Yuda and Pak against Top Fight Leo Rush. So yeah, I mean, it certainly is sort of an implicit rejection of interest in the you know, the the stuff that's on Collision. But I mean Collision is not intended to be like a big show, Like they know what Collision is. I mean, they're not oblivious to that. I'm not justifying it, by the way. I don't. I don't think their approach to Clision is good, but I don't think they'd be shocked that, like their offerings on Collision are getting you know, you know, muted would get muted reactions from most of the fan base because they're not giving you their stuff here though they're over you know, they're overseas. They don't get nearly as many shows there the crowd that really wanted to get into stuff, and so they just picked random stuff because they wanted to get into stuff, and the stuff they were they were getting for that show was not high priority stuff. So yeah, I mean it is you know, it's not a great sign in that sense, But what would be a great sign on the show like that they were bigger into Claudio? I mean, like is that really like, I mean, there's there wasn't you know, there wasn't something that was really significant to aw in general or all in for them to get into, and so they just picked random stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that the good answer in terms of definitely the context of the moment mattering more the Billy Gun pops being bigger than like or you know, being big for Billy Gun during the acclaimed is sort of an ongo thing. But the Jared thing, although he's certainly in other context in AW, has seemed to do pretty well for himself. Where I think, you know, five years ago, people to predicted if Jeff Jarrett got a bunch of DV time in twenty twenty four. My own is AW fans, based on the core mission statement of AW, would groan or be a little nervous or feel like things went went a little awry.
Speaker 3: So I just put them in different categories. I think I think the point that you're making in general is true. Like you know, at times in AW and frankly in B for years when W wasn't doing as well, you'd get reactions to sort of ironic comedy bits or nostalgia at a higher level than the stuff that was presented as the most important stuff on the show, because the people didn't care that much about what was the most important stuff on the show. And so yeah, there are periods where like, yeah, I mean, you don't want Billy gunn to be getting a bigger reaction than the people that you're pushing most the show, and that's a bad sign here. I don't think this was so much like we love Jeff Jarrett more than you know, than than Danielson or you know, sore because we remember him from years back. I think this was just literally like they've reached about the halfway point of the show. There, nothing's happening, and so like, let's get into this hook big Bill match, and then they just start going crazy. And then Jeff Jarrett was the next guy that came out after Big Bill and they decided, hey, you know they're not gonna they're not gonna rally behind Ari Davari. So Jeff Jarrett there's our guy, and uh and uh it was. It was fun stuff. I it was. It was positive because I don't remember whether I made this point on uh on on about another show, but I don't think it was. I think this was the one where when Jeff Jarrett came out and now I'm now questioning myself. Whatever, you know, they like, if it was a different show than than Find whatever.
Speaker 1: I think we should talk a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Wait, I don't like when you do that. I don't like when you do to yourself and I like it even less when you do it with me. So uh so, so you know, he comes out, well, his music comes out right, the music hits, the crowd explodes, and it was there was such a cognitive dissonance between and I'm dinostic because I feel like I had a note here somewhere about this exact thing. Was this on dynamite like that would that would undercut my my my theory that it was just that there were that Jeff Jerrett came out at this point. But one of these shows in last week, the crowd hit and the reaction was so big that I I I had to wonder. I was wondering to myself whose music that was, because my mind would just not connect the idea that this reaction was Jeff Jaerrett, and then once it was Jeff Jarre is like, oh yeah, I guess that is Jeff Jarrett's music. But the the the loud cheers just you know, made it seem like a foreign experience to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, interesting. You don't have to wait for the way Keller Pro Wrestling post show to find out what I thought of Monday Night Raw and SmackDown. Each week. You can check out my reports that are updated live throughout Raw and SmackDown at pwtorch dot com. My written report will tell you what's happening in detail in case you missed the show, and it will also analyze key segments and give my random thoughts quips on what I'm watching as it airs. So check it out every Monday night and Tuesday night at pewtorch dot com. That also applies to wwepayperviews. I cover those live at pw torch dot com with a detailed written report with star ratings. And of course you can find other TV reports from other contributors to pw torch such as nxt roh, Impact Wrestling and more. Check it out pwtorch dot com your first stop for TV and pay per view written reports. Okay, so that covers rampage and.
Speaker 3: No it didn't because the main event was Claudia Wheeler and Hawk beating Top finally a rush to qualify for the ladder match. Pretty good match, and then we got a brawl with Patriarchy and House of Black and the bank banking at the end and that close quession.
Speaker 1: Yep, you brought it up twice. Once I interrupted you and once I think you interrupted yourself and that's what happen. Yeah, so that got me thrown off a little. Okay, very good. So we obviously already reviewed the pay per VIEUS Sunday night on the VIP Roundtable with rich Fans, so we'll jump to last night's Dynamite. We talked length about the closing sitement with Daniel Sin, but we'll march you the rest of the show here. They First of all, did the crowded around two thousand in a big arena stand out out to you? Or do you think a w has gotten actually pretty good at aiming the camera in the right way and producing a show and setting it up acoustically and audibly where it didn't feel minor league And if this is amongst the lowest crowds outside of Jacksonville that they've ever had for Dynamite, I didn't.
Speaker 3: Notice it until I heard other people talk about it later, So yeah, I didn't jump out at me on all. I wouldn't even say that they've gotten good at it. I mean, I think they're good at from the beginning. And you know there's some of those people like sort of like note that as sort of like a problem with aw going on the road an advocate for going on smaller buildings, and like, I'm not saying like one one's better than the other. I'm I think it would be fine from the go to smaller buildings. I think it's fine for them to run larger buildings. So yeah, I just not viewed as being a big deal because I feel like the thing, you know, the shows feel perfectly you know, perfectly professional, the way that they're shot in uh in in in uh with a smaller crowd. Now granted I haven't I haven't ever been one where it was like on the smaller side, but I've definitely been to their tapings where you know, they had you know, they had the camera side filled then and then they had the you know, the mostly empty third of the arena and going to that it didn't it didn't. It didn't feel to me like, oh this is you know, things are struggling here are like, oh, I think loss of the promotion, which I would have seemed the possibility to me before that but didn't for whatever reason while taking in the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's good that the production ability of AW whether they've improved or not, is such where if you can not think about it while you're watching the show. There is when the crowds are this small, the absence of what WWW has as a positive in what AW at times, including Sunday at Wembley have going for them, which is WHOA, this is red hot, wide camera angle, lots of fans up to the last row. That's an extra It's sort of like extra credit. It's just like an extra boost to Oh, this product seems hot. This wrestler is in a featured segment in front of a crowd where the camera's panning every part of the building and they're going nuts. WWE has that more often than not these days. AW has had it at times, especially early on, including the first Dynamite and the weeks afterwards a months after to where we talked about God. One of the biggest assets AW has is this crowd. The crowd week to week to week is just elevating these some of the newer names and some of the free agents that they picked up, but especially the names that were less familiar to those who were were not familiar with them but watching them on national cable for the first time. The AW lacks that. So even if there's you're not noticing a negative, there is an absence of a positive that would be beneficial when you're trying to come across as a hot product and create new stars, or just give a boost to stars that have been around a while and feel a little cooled off. And so I think it's worth differentiating between those two things. Because they were good with the setup of the sound last night where it didn't sound super echoey, But there have been times where they've been in buildings where there hasn't been in a big crowd and there was just something about the echo in the building and it could just be the acoustics of the facility too, more than anything Aw's done. So yeah, whatever the reason is, I think they're at a point where they can have a crowd of two thousand in a major league looking building because their stage looks good and they shoot it well that it's not going to just pull the product down. But the absence of that boost is a bummer, and you would obviously rather have that, You'd rather have ten thousand people.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know. Wait, I'm gonna take the other side on this one. I don't think there are any positives that come with Archer crowds.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, Oh, go ahead, then, no kidding, So let's just speaking of uh, John Moxley.
Speaker 3: It got a refresha How's how's John Moxley speaking of that?
Speaker 1: Because I'd said that when you have a super big crowd, some of the stars who've been around and cooled off can seem like big stars, uh like, it can kind of be the wind in their sails.
Speaker 3: In terms of all And so John Moxley is the guy that's that's cooled off. I mean, I guess that's still more charitable than the way i'd taken it, which was like speaking of people who perform in front of small crowds John Moxley, but it was still kind of uh yeah, I don't I don't know that. And I guess Boxley is cooled off to some of the great that's true, But I mean I don't think he's ever gotten like cold. I think he's been a popular the entire time of the uh his entire time there. Yeah, And as far as the segment goes, I mean, I'm intrigued where it's going. And I don't use that word as liberally as you do, but I'm concerned that it sure felt like he's going heel again and It's frustrating to me that wrestling promotions just don't learn their lesson when it comes to try and turn to turn faces that people just inherently like and have shown no signs of losing their interest in. And you know, we've just seen it flop miserably and hurt the wrestlers involved so many times, you know, from Becky Lynch to Okada to you know the BCC and Danison and Okada that you know just last year. But you know, hopefully they've got a fresh idea that's going to add some energy of the show. And you know, it was, it was an interesting start. I'm curious where they're going with it. And you know, after someone wrote the mail bag about doing more with Marina Shafir a few weeks ago, they're going to get their wish. Hopefully. I'm not wrong that too much damage has been done to or for it to be effective, But certainly, if I'm Marina Shafir and I'm hoping that I can I can get hot here. You know, you you it would be hard to present a scenario that would get me a lot more. A realistic scenario would get me much more optimistic than I'm gonna repair with John Moxley. So that seems like a good spot to be if you're a Marina Shafear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a couple of things to pluck from this. What did you think of him calling out Derby? And it wasn't antagonistic? He said, it's about time you and I had a talk and I won't be hard to find. Do you like the idea of a faction or a team or an alliance or a protege mentorship kind of like Sting Darby had with Sting with Moxley and Derby? And and what do you expect from this? Or is it I'm calling out because I want to beat yep?
Speaker 3: I think he's turning kal and going you got Derby. I mean, it's not what I want, but I think that's really want with it?
Speaker 1: And why do you think there's a storyline reason that in any way is out there why he would aim in particular for Derby. If if it is, I want to I'm going to beat you up? And here's why.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe he views him as sort of like a you know, sort of promotional poster boy for AW, and he's down on the direction AW has taken, and so he wants to sort of beat some sense into Darby and aw By extension something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then what do you make the line this is not your company anymore?
Speaker 3: Same thing?
Speaker 1: But was it aimed at Shabani?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I think the explanation that it's directed at Atu at Tony Kahan would make more sense. But just the idea in general that he's, you know, he's taking over the company and you know, the the what represents, he doesn't like, what aw is going to is become to represent, and he's looking to bring it in a different direction in line with what he wants, and he views Darby as part of that.
Speaker 1: All right. Uh, then we had the congaboration in hook injured by Renee Piquette backstage. Anything stand out there?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Not really, Yeah, just your typical colomeration interview.
Speaker 1: Yes, they are somewhat interchangeable other than on occasion the things they say, but the whole kind of pattern of things. So is she and Hangman went seventeen minutes, hay Man got the win, talk about that match and then the angle with swerve of afterwards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I okay, sorry, I uh, I was confused because I I deleted my note, so which would explain why I didn't have anything there. Yeah, I thought I thought the match was very good, very much enjoyed that hard hitting. As far as the postmatch, I liked the start with the intense showdown. I didn't really like what it turned into though. You know, nobody buys that home invasion nonsense. It wasn't like that got sort of over. Fans just didn't buy it, and they roared it, so move on, Like, he doesn't need to apologize for it, but it sure is in making him likable or cool to lean in on it, just like that affected villain laugh isn't cool and doesn't make him likable either. He needs to drop that. It was like he was trying to be a heel taunting and menacing hangman rather than just being a cool, collected dude who's not going to back down from this crazed monster of his own creation, which to me is what the story should be. And it also that vincent man thing where two people are supposed to be in this blood feud and they just stand there listening to each other talk for a minutes on end. So I didn't think it was it was terribly productive in advancing that story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for so it's hard because of how they've handled this so far to have like faith that they have any idea where they're going, or to assume that they do. But what do you think happens with hang mantes Worth coming out of the cage match? What direction to both characters going?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I think Swerve wins and hanglan Page channels his anger into something else. I think that's the the most likely outcome.
Speaker 1: And Swerve is a babyface and sort a heal.
Speaker 3: Oh no, sorry, I thought you said I think I said hang out. Oh yeah, a baby face hangings to heal. Yeah, I mean I I don't have any doubt about about that dynamic, in spite of like the segment itself trying to create doubt in that. Like if you know, if I if I watched that segment and I knew no context, I would say that you know that that sworb is definitely a heel. And I don't know what's going on with Hangman, but I guess they're doing something weird with him as a baby face. But you know, like I, you know, I do have greater context than just that one angle.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, ah right, So then Jamie Hater got a quick one over Harley Cameron about three and a half minutes.
Speaker 3: What do you think? Yeah, I started out rough but got better as it went on.
Speaker 1: And did they did they frame and do enough to celebrate or or highlight Jamie Hater coming back? And how do you feel about where she fits in in the women's division?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 3: I thought it was fine. You know, it's coming out of paper that a lot of things emphasize. Yeah, they chose to emphasize other things more and nothing that they chose to emphasize seems to me less worthy of emphasis than Jamie Hater's return. And as far as where she's going coming out of this, I mean, clearly she's gonna have the feud with with Soraya. She'll beat Soreya. And you know they got to they got to two of these, these two co equal titles, so presumably she'll go after one of those. Uh, you know, so that's I would I would.
Speaker 1: Think, yeah, all right. Then Renee interviewed the participants in the Heel. Participants in the eight Man taken of later Roderick Strong, Jericho Bill, and Brian Keith and anything stand out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a whole bunch of b style cartoon characters. The one nice thing though, wait, I'm sure you'll appreciate this is they're all five words or less. Guys. You know, Jericho is insincere. Hi, guys, Dude, Big Bill is the chill Redwood. Brian Keith is the ornery bad Apple. Roderick strong strong A screams the first word.
Speaker 7: Guy.
Speaker 3: You know, they've they've got all of you know, they've got it all wrapped up in meat. Yeah. I mean, Jericho's an all time legend. I've you know, been a big fan of his for a long time. But I think he's a dragon on the entire show in this role. I think, you know, just this is not what you want your show to be. Is just you know, gimmicky cartoon you know, derby By characters and a guy that kind of has go away heat, you know, week after week.
Speaker 1: Why do you think, well, actually, step back, what do you think of Jericho's reinventions in the past. How is this different and is it different in and of itself or different because of the context of aw in the timeframeer and in wrestling compared to other sort of representations of himself and reinventions or refreshes.
Speaker 3: I think he's had a lot of very successful reinventions. I mean, not all of them were great, but you know, like you know, when it first returned to he owned w c W and and sort of created that character the first time, it was very you know, he's very effective. When he turned into sort of a main more main event babyface, he was very effective in that role as well. You know, there's a Nick Bockwinkle thing which was also very effective. The you know, the the run with with Kenny Omega and early aw with you know, with singing Judas and all that was was was very effective as well. So he's he's had a lot of very successful reinventions as far as what's going on now here. There just comes time with different wrestlers where fans aren't into them anymore. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, like I you know, like there's so many I've brought this up from time to time, but like they are wrestlers when I got into wrestling, where I watched them in the state that they were in and I just was like, why are they these people even on the show? And I think that's the perspective of the people that aren't longtime fans that know them when they were more effective character, and they just you know, it's like, why not Dick Murdock. You know, I first saw Dick Mark, I was like, what is Dick Murdock doing here? And then later I saw Dick Murdock in his prime, and I was like, Dick Murdock is great. But Dick Murdock in nineteen eighty nine was not great. He wasn't effective anymore. You know, Sean Waltman had a great career, but they've reached a point where, for whatever reason, people were like, I just don't want to see Sean Walman anymore. And you could, you know, you could, you could intellectualize why they shouldn't feel that way, but that was just the way they felt, and having him on the show wasn't terribly effective relative to other people. The Hardys, they you know, they reinvented themselves a million times, you know, Matt Hardy, like he came up with different ideas, came up with different ideas, like he had an nice, long career, and they're just to reach a point where people didn't care that much anymore. It happens. It's just that's the way of the world. And you know, I I get why once people you know, reach that position. They don't want to admit it to themselves and they make rationalizations, but you know, it's you know, just like you know, like when when you know, when when uh, when fighters are at the end, the end of their career, and you know, it's it's evident to them, you know, not not evident to them, it's evident to everyone watching them that they don't have it anymore. They're getting knocked out, they're moving slower, but they're thinking, oh, my training is going so well, and they remember what they had before, and they just don't want to believe that it's it's it's over and something that's changed. And even if they could spot in the in the the the the same fighters like them, but for them, it's different. And you know, that's that's in my opinion, the situation with Jericho. I mean, it's it's unfortunate, but I mean, you know, I'm I'm analyzing this from the standpoint of what's you know, what's good for the show, what's you know, good for the business in general? And you know, you can it's you know, there's sort of it. I mean, I was gonna say, like this sort of an unfairalm, but there's an unfair Amum, that's the way of the world. You know, like we all got old, and it's you know, it's it's sad. I mean, I wish the you know, the human aging process were a lot longer. You know, I'd love to, you know, live five thousand years and do all sorts of stuff and and and you know just feel, you know, exactly as the same that I felt, you know, twenty years ago and in twenty years. But you know, that's that's not the way things are going to go unfortunately.
Speaker 8: Searching for more great pro wrestling talk, then join me Jason Powell, host of the three weekly Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast. Each week you'll hear the latest news and analysis for me and my team at pro wrestling dot Net along with other pro wrestling media members. Plus, the Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast features long form interviews with notable names in the pro wrestling industry. Subscribe and itunices, Ditcher, Downcast, and all your favorite secondary apps, or visit us directly at PW boom dot com. Once again, that's pw boom dot com.
Speaker 1: So talk about people not realizing that their time is expired for what made them relevant in their field outside of the torch in the wrestling analyst journalists field. Let's talk about some names.
Speaker 3: Todd, you go first, Wait, that's like a general joke. That like that, like you know, one could just use in general as like a gag and we laugh. But that that is I'm not even gonna touch that one.
Speaker 1: You think the aggregators wouldn't have fun with that.
Speaker 3: I'm not. I'm not. I'm not touching that one. I'm not even as like a gag. Ha ha, Yeah, let's joke about this one, not touching it.
Speaker 1: What about the silence? What about the silence that speaks?
Speaker 3: Wait, that's move on, speak another time, another setting, and we we we joke. We have jokes like that.
Speaker 1: He says a lot right now, the urgency to want to move away from this topic is really telling.
Speaker 3: Okay, wait, moving on to the next subject.
Speaker 1: I well, no, I have a fallo up on Jericho.
Speaker 3: You know, you're usually nice in that weight. I think glass of you doing that? That was that was That was a mean thing you just did right there.
Speaker 1: Well, I was thinking I can't think of anyone everyone's great who's been around for a while, no one, no one has reached that stage. Wait, moving on all right, Jericho, So you talked a lot about sometimes it's just the time has come. Is it this particular with this particular direction he's gone in with this persona of Jericho and the learning tree? Would it have worked in a different timeframe and would it have to be tweaked? Like I'm general Ker's like, are you thinking there's almost nothing Jericho could do? It's just it's time, you know, no matter what you do, or now it's this choice. This choice is so tone deaf, or it's flopped and they should have adjusted or moved on.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I mean there's a clear point here, and there was that point last year where the thing came out with with uh, what's her name? Uh? Right, I've learned not you know that I get myself into trouble where I start describing people just by like, oh, it's the person who did this, and then I invariably come up with some sort of insulting description.
Speaker 1: So rather than that, many of our listeners grandma's name or daughter's name.
Speaker 3: Is to quickly pull out their name and then uh and then go and then and then move on.
Speaker 1: From there, what's your term behind their name?
Speaker 3: Though? I thought I thought for sure that they were on a specific show, and then it turns out they weren't on that specific show, and that you know that, God damn it, what a disappointment that I turned out to be. Let's try it. Let's try Uh. I've got another idea to figure out this person? Who this person is?
Speaker 1: Uh, just hold hold the phone up to your head and say a I who am I trying to think of?
Speaker 3: I know exactly thinking of? And I could start giving you a bunch of descriptions for it. But like I said, if I, if I, if I, if I do that, it's gonna be a one note characterization of this person. And I am not going to do that. I'm just gonna keep stalling for time until I find the same. Oh my god, Uh, Kylie Ray, there we go. Yes, the the the you know, the you know the little period there where you know the the Kylie Ray voiced some you know, some clear allusions to Jericho having something unpleasant reactions you know, uh, inac interreactions with hr. At some point this the thing was not really spelled out at any point. People tied it into you know, to to speaking out whether that's fair, whether that's not fair, and you know, that broke in a period before an aw pay per view, and there was talk about whether he might be pulled from the pay per view, whether he might be pulled from the company. And you know, the reactions to Jericho have been negative ever since. So I mean, that was the clear point. And you know, I still you know, as we talked, we talked about the show that that night, I wasn't, you know, ready to sort of uh, you know, to to to call for Jericho to be fired or something when we didn't even have explicit allegations, let alone, you know, let alone have confirmation that the allegations were true. But you know, regardless, and I mean, I guess you I guess you could argue, well, you know, well, I don't know. I mean I was I was thinking, like, well, you don't want to like punish someone for something they didn't do. But it's I mean, as Evans by the fact I didn't call from the to you know, to to to to be doing less at that point, and I am now like at this point, he's just not effective as a part of the show. And you know, he created this character specifically to deal with the fact he was getting those sorts of reactions and the character is not in my opinion, I mean, it's not whether the character is working or not working. It's just like as of Tigers, the aw's promotion that really needs its own positive identity. It does not need to come across as debt to be light. And the Jericho thing is just like bad deda Bee. It's just this goofy cartoon guy doing wacky, you know, winking stuff that you can't take seriously. And you know, it's just like this tonal, you know, you know, it's it's just a bad tonally in the context of the show, you know, not unlike you know, the acclaimed, but you know there's a number of characters like that, and you know, Jericho is is the worst of the bunch.
Speaker 1: Is there any value for Chris Jericho if you're Paula Back? What a change of scenery? Erase some of this? Is it in some way tied to the a W fan base and the AW aesthetic and culture or and there's enough history with him in w w B. He'd get a welcoming nostalgia pop and another chance to represent himself.
Speaker 3: If I were bringing him in his Paula back, and I'm not sure bring him in at all. It would be a short term thing, you know, like we're gonna you know, sort of a last you know, last little run, coming to to b one last time, do a program and then do you know, a retirement type deal at at at wrestlemaning and do a Hall of Fame something like that.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, So back to Dynamite and march through the segments here, the m j F promo and then Danny Garcia attacking him. Yeah, your your thoughts on on this thumbs up, thumbs down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thumbstown. Earlier when you were doing you know, when you let into that, you know that that ambush question that you you threw out that we're not gonna go into any further. I thought that you were going to lead Jeff was where you're going here because MGF to me, feels lost as a character. Part of what made him so effective as a heel was it was so easy to buy into him being the jerk that he was portrayed as on television. And then he did that you know, that stupid year long tern where he never really explained why he turned and he's putting over the fans and then he just randomly turns back one week and rather than easing back into it into making you buy him as a jerk again, he just leans into the most contrived, cheap heat every week and it feels so phony. And playing the American patriot for a few weeks because he's wrestling in other countries only to then come back to America and denounce America is the epitome of that. And that was an issue going into this, but like this, like you know, made it even worse. Of like this guy that just comes across like everything he's doing is just he's just doing because he's playing a bad guy, and that's there's not heat in that. Like it's hard to get real heat when you just feel like you're trying so hard to be the bad guy. You know, he you know what, he should have been the one to randomly slap his own mother at the ringside because that was so on brand for what he's doing right now. And he needs to simplify everything and try to feel like a believable human being again. And my big recommendation for him would be for the next year to always be thinking about the reason why he's doing every heelish thing he's doing. You know, not because he's a bad guy and that's what bad guys do, but because there's something in it for him, or he has a specific reason for not liking individual people. There's you know, there's a reason in his head for why he's doing these things. You know, if there's a motorcycle rider who is in an accident and he's you know, the guy's thrown from his vehicle, he's lying on the side of the road and it's you know, it's not a crowded time, and there's a car, you know, there's car driving by. A good person is going to stop and try to help the person who's laid out on the side of the road. After this accent, a bad person might drive on because they don't want to be bothered. MJF and his incarnation would stop, piss on the guy and start making fun of him. And there's less heat in that than the guy who drives on, because it's discordant with basic human experience and it's not relatable. And that's what MGF has become. He's become an implausible caricature of a human being, made all the worse by the fact he was playing a face a few weeks ago and by the way, like Tony Shavanni, like you know, I've been noting you know how I don't think that Tony Siavanni is good in his role right now, but he's that is most awful screaming at MGF because it epitomizes his general insincerity, like no one could possibly be this upset at a cartoon character, and it shows Shavanni as the cartoon character that he is in his own right, the way that he gets so upset over this cartoon character that nobody else is upset at because he's a cartoon character. So yeah, I think MGF needs a lot of refocusing right now. On the plus side, I thought that Danny Garcia was very good on the MIC. I thought it was the best point I've seen him do. And I think it's a very good sign that in what's the most prominent role of his career thus far, that he's carrying himself as a future player from a personality standpoint. So I thought that was a positive sign. Not not high on on what mgf's doing. All right.
Speaker 1: Then we got the eight man tag match with the aforementioned Learning Tree team with Rodert Strong and then Hook Priscal Cassidy and O'Reilly hooking Company one in seventeen minutes. What's stood out here for you?
Speaker 3: Match was pretty good. I don't know about what they did there and the finishes, the build for a title match in pay per view, but it's not like Roderick Strong versus hook is a priority program for for that pay per view or any pay per view. I also don't know why Roderk Strong wants the FTW title anyway, Like why does he care about that thing?
Speaker 1: There is that?
Speaker 3: There is that?
Speaker 1: All right? Then we had the Mercedes Monet quote partey with private party joining because well we don't know why. And then Okada got involved in that skit, t would you?
Speaker 3: Then they turned Okada into an under five word guy too, profane, jokester, jerk, none of that new Japan ambiguity where you couldn't spell it out.
Speaker 1: I want more thoughts on that segment from you.
Speaker 3: I mean it was you know, there's not a lot to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how are you feeling about Mercedes?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 3: Not not not great, but she's at least a he'll know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly all right. Then Schevani stood on the ramp and introduced Mariah Main. She flirted with him a bit and took off a robe with her belt and her neglige, her nightgown whatever. What do you think?
Speaker 3: I mean, not a ton to it, but it was fine for what it was. Yeah, I definitely want you definitely want more coming out of her title win. But I mean I assume that's coming.
Speaker 1: Then grizzled young veterans have Begnette and a promol from that, what do you think? And smitter actually with the.
Speaker 3: Box that's good, little good in the mic like they almost always are.
Speaker 1: All right, And then video package on Tequeshtau in New Japan, uh in the g One tournament and then they announced he'd beyond rampage fighting Morto's commander and Leo Rush. What do you think, Todd, I mean, it's just high using the g One.
Speaker 3: I don't care as much about that stuffs as you do, but you know it seems worth mentioning.
Speaker 1: You don't care about highlighting the g One or the fact that, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, highlighting other things that are going on. Yeah, talking for people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right? Then uh Rick Sha and Kyle Fletcher rickchet one in twelve minutes, what do you think of the presentation of Ricochet and the flow of this match and the choice of Fletcher as an opponent.
Speaker 3: I thought that he you know, I mean, it wasn't package that much. They just sort of came out and had the match. The match itself was pretty good, you know, not as much of a statement as you'd hope for, but you know, there's there's still time for that. I found it interesting he's not using a flying move as a finisher. Seems a clear sign that he's focused on body preservation as he approached his late thirties. Angle afterwards, I thought was good. You know, we got a little tease of the eventual Ospring match as well. Hopefully there aren't fans watching that who expected a three way and end up disappointed.
Speaker 1: Oh right, yeah, anything else from Dynamite, I'm going to skip. Pat that you have no time that you want to bring up.
Speaker 3: Nope.
Speaker 1: Anytime you're watching WWE Raw or SmackDown or AW Dynamite in particular, send us an email if you've got thoughts on the show or a topic you want us to address or a question for us. Wade Keller Podcast at pwtorch dot com. Wadkeller Podcast at petwtorch dot com. If there's anything else going on in pro wrestling that you want us to address on our main podcast during our mailbank segments. That same email applies Wade Keller podcast at pwtorch dot com. We invite that interaction. Let us know what you think of what we're saying, and let us know what you want us to talk about and ask us specific questions. Wade Keller podcast at PW torch dot com.
Speaker 10: Come well.
Speaker 1: By the way, before to the McMahon phitsic Mann series on Netflix, the release state has been announced. What do you anticipate from this and anything stand out in terms of what we do know about at this point.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it'll end up being very interesting because Vince is a very interesting figure and they you know, they talk to a lot of people about a lot of different things over the course of his life that you know, not necessarily been covered with his perspective on things. So I think there's gonna be a lot of interesting stuff in there. I think, you know, morally, it could end up being a bit of a quagmire trying to cover it, because I mean, they did the thing before, you know, before things really sort of broke down with him and the I mean, I don't think that their intention was not to do a fawning documentary, but it was with him. I mean, you know, he's going to be through his lens, and you know it was you know, even if their intention was to be you know, sort of you know, fair minded, this was a thing that I think was gonna end up being more charitable to Vince than he probably merited before the allegations. So you've already recorded this thing and you know it's probably nicer to Vince than than it deserves. And then you've got to try to you know, tackle this, you know, this uh, this situation that you know that that is just a minefield and you've already got this whole thing covered, and I don't know how you do that. I frankly was I frankly was expecting the thing to be shelved all together, even with all the work that they put into it. So yeah, I mean I think I think, uh, I think the odds are you know, not slight that that you that they come out of this thing with people sort of like not thinking very highly of the people producing it. But you know, we'll see what they can do. I mean, it's a you know, it's a it's a total minefield. And you know, I don't think they're going to get very close at all to this most latest situation. And you know, I, yeah, I wouldn't like to be a producer on that thing, because yeah, I think there's going to be a lot of criticism coming their way when the thing's released. Hopefully not I mean, because like I said, there's there's plenty of room for some some interesting stuff there. But yeah, tough, tough deal.
Speaker 1: For those who haven't seen it. The graphic it's called the Netflix documentary series Mister McMahon, premiering in September twenty fifth, if I didn't mention that, and it shows McMahon, an image of McMahon with strings and then controlling with the strings, the image of a smaller McMahon in the ring, and the two words they use only to Todd mastermind Madman, and it says from executi producer Bill Simmons and Chris Smith, executive producer of The Tiger King, the pitch is mis mcmannon documentary series chronicling the rise and fall of w's controversial founder is coming to Netflix since the number twenty fifth, including interviews with McMahon prior to his resignation, his family in some of the most iconic names in wrestling history, as well as the journalists wh uncovered the McMahon allegations. McMahon's allegations, do you does any of that stand out to you as good a matter telling now that I've read that out loud to everybody. And then also, how do you feel about Bill Simmons and his history of covering wrestling and the tone he's taken and the respect do you have for him or don't when it comes to pro wrestling and his lens if he had a big influence on how this is portrayed and framed.
Speaker 3: Okay, a lot to unpack there, a lot of questions, but big done there. So as far as the title, first, I actually think the title is a is a very smart title. You know, like at first glance, it's like, oh, whatever, you know mister like you said, you just said, mister LeAnn. That'shy they call him on television. But and you know, maybe maybe that is there there they intended, but I don't think so, Like like when you like, at first like, okay, that's his TV character name was mister Alan. They called him that. But if you back up and you just think of the term mister McMahon. It's it's a distant term. It's kind of an off putting term, like mister McMahon. It's a little it's a little creepy at a distance, like that's he is, mister McMahon, Like he's not he's not Vince, he's not you know, like someone, he's this person that's framed a certain way, and like that that to me, like there's there's something you know, like if you if you call a bio you know, biped now used term a docucid, and pretty much anyone if you just call them mister whatever, it would be a little off putting, you know, mister Trump, mister Disney, mister Biden, you know, mister.
Speaker 1: Mister Stern, if you're doing an NBA commissioner documentary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean any and obviously mister Rogers is you know, is more friendly. But in pretty much any other context, you know, like the idea of something just calling someone mister something like makes it seem a little unusual. And I think, you know, for the arresting Evan, it's nothing, it's like, oh, mister man whatever. But I think for the person that is not that familiar with him, I didn't follow wrestling, which I think they want to also appeal to that title I think is interesting. Maybe they didn't intend it that way. That that that that that struck me when I saw the name for it. As far as the two things that you highlighted there, that's interesting to me in a different way in the sense that, like you know, I talked to earlier, sort of the the concern about it coming across as uh to uh to fawning, the what are the two names again, rather than pulling them up here the.
Speaker 1: To the oh, the mastermind mad Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so obviously master is a positive term. I would argue mad man is is also a positive term. Like It's like, I don't think of mad Man as like being pejorative. I think of mad Man as being sort of fun and exciting, So, you know, like, at least to me, that's the sort of the one I think of mad Man. I think of of a Bruiser Brodie, you know, or or or the chich or like a wrestling character. I think they're you know, their their character. There are terms that have a more judgmental tone than mad man, and so using up mastermind and mad man, I feel kind of has like a positive slan on it already there as far as you know, uh, Bill Simmons producing it. I mean when Bill Simmons talks about he was a longtime wrestling fan and then he was not one of these people that you know that that didn't follow wrestling very closely for a while and then sort of drops in on it all the things. He's been paying attention to it more and years, and then he got into bed with be and started producing stuff with them while Vince was still in charge and the product was still bad, and he would put over the product as you know, as having improved and being good before it actually got there. I think because of the relationship with them, I think I'm someone is the you know, like sort of the category of people that like know a lot of things about wrestling but don't understand wrestling that well, which is a pretty broad category. There are a lot of people in that category. And so yeah, with that said, well, I don't think that highly of him in terms of his opinions on wrestling. When he's come he's produced a number of documentaries and he's produced a lot of you know, great documentaries. Really, I mean, that's one of you could argue that's like one of the things that's the most successful. It's producing a lot of great documentaries, and he's like, he's been involved in some very good wrestling documentaries. So you know, that's a definite positive for him and would give you more hope in terms of a project like that. You know that that history.
Speaker 6: Are you a fan of AW looking to sit back, relax and listen to some like minded podcasters who share your passion? Do you want to be topped off the ledge after a segment that has you wondering what the heck are they thinking? Do you want to join a discussion on what AW is doing right and what they could do to improve? Then join me Joel and me Greg for the All of THEE Conversation Club every Friday on the pw torch Live Cast feed. Search pw torch in your podcast app and subscribe to pw torch Daily Cast or stream our shows directly from pw torch dot com. Find full details on the PW Torchdailycast lineup at pw torchdailycast dot com.
Speaker 1: Very good, I will thread you for a rundown of NXT and then we'll preview No Mercy.
Speaker 3: Sure, so NXT started with with Fallon Henley and j C. Jane Uh beating lash Legend and Jaka Jackson thanks to help from from Jasmine Nicks at ringside, and they gave them time but it was not good. They did another of those backstage segments where they pack one thing onto another. So first a Chantay, the Adonis and Eddie Thorpe had a conversation where Thorpe was talking to some women and he told Chantey they were just friends and Ashante was looking to get with them and not really thinking about women as being potential friends. So then as that sort of wraps up, you see Brooks Jensen walk across the back of the screen. He attacks a no Fay to set up his match with with with Blade. Uh Uh. Later, Karmen Petrovitch beat is He Dame another week match. Is He Dame is a little distinct from some of the other women because of her height, but she's not coming along very well in the ring. And you know, they've had a lot of women there that have that you've seen a lot of improvement in over the years, and uh, she she's not one of them, unfortunately, So uh that's that.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Jada Parker did a sit down interview, and this Jada Parker interesting storyline development. So this Jada Parker is actually a different person than the earlier Jada Parker, but she's played by the same actress, So you just, you know, you gotta pretend that person wasn't there. New person has walked in here. So the original Data Parker was from the streets, and she did promos and dilapidated buildings and she would scowl, menacing all the time, menacingly all the time, and speak in you know, in in slang. And the new Jada Parker won a gauntlet match, and now she smiles all the time and talks about a college soccer background and how she was getting scholarship offers back when she was a young kid. Despite that weirdness. Uh, she was. The good news is I thought she was. She seemed very natural in the new role, just like she seemed very natural in the old role. I thought she was able to portray a menace when it came to, you know, to the heel role. And I thought she came across as likable and and and a good talker in the in the babyface role as well. So, uh, it was it was an encouraging, encouraging sign. She she's really one of the most talented performers they have in developmental and you know, came out of nowhere and she's been doing very well for herself. Anyway, Uh, Roxane Press came in and started badmouthing her, so she slapped Roxanne and uh Parker then had words with somebody off screen and uh perhaps you know spec Oh, okay, So then because people were speculating it as Juliet, but that's that's that's settled. It is it is not. It is not Julia, it was you. And uh, well maybe I was thinking maybe Julia was going to show up to it to help Roxanne win it no mercy, but maybe you will show up to to uh to help help Roxanne when.
Speaker 1: At I'm signed a n D A okay.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that's that's possibility at uh at no mercy And uh, let's see here the the D'Angelo family beat the now quartercrash Crew when Luca Crusofino pinned Miles Born. It was fine. This is a backdrop for another story which I found amusing. So as the di'angelo family was warming up backstage, two older guys from the family told Tony they needed to tell him something, and he blew them off, and the men are like, you know, we really need to tell you something. Tony blew them off again. So then he goes to ringside for the match. They come out again to talk to him, and this time he immediately leaves, and so he leaves. He never comes back for this thing. Then later on the show, he shows up the D'Angelo family restaurant and first thing he asks is why I was called here? You told me this was urgent. So in summary, if you tell Tony you really need to talk to him, he may refuse to even let you finish your sentence. But if you tell him it's urgent, he'll drop everything he's doing and drive to another location without even asking you to finish the sentence to tell you what in fact it is. But he knows this isn't really important, but it's urgent. So I'm going to drive somewhere else and you can tell me once I get there what's happening here? Perplexing individual as Tony Dean. So anyway, he was told Obafemi was at the restaurant and he's sitting there in a suit mining his own business drinking the glass of wine. Why this was an emergency, I'm not sure. Maybe they're really racist, you know, freaking out at a nicely adress dude sitting at a table in the restaurant. There weren't even other customers at the surrounding tables, Like, I don't know what their problem was with this guy, but you know, he rushes there and he sits down. They have a few polite words about their match on Sunday, and family left. So Tony, I mean, he probably should have just followed his first instinct and just ignored those dudes because they, you know, they were just I mean, yeah, I don't know. Those guys are sketchy. I you know, I don't like calling people bigots, but I think they're biggots. Pete Don did an interview talking about wrestling Trick Williams again Wesley and Zachary Wentz that had an in ring segment another Vincent Man special where you just did this personal breakup angle for a heated feud, and so they stood in the ring together fifteen minutes and took turns talking. Wentz was upset about the portrayal, Lee was more just blowing them off as a cocky heel and a big part of this for Lee was burying TNA and the portrayal of TNA I found interesting because because I figure he wins, but it sure doesn't make TNA look very good if he wins. After he basically you know, called TNA second rate and and uh and you know, made it sound like it's, you know, something bad for Zachary wants to go back to TNA. So that was an an interesting an interesting choice. Colnie Jordan beat Rosemary, who debut as a mystery opponent. It was cool to see Rosemary get a shot on w television because I mean, she does a better job than anyone with her type of gimmick, and I think she's you know, done a on balance, a very good job in in TNA over the years. The idea was Jordan was taking out one spooky opponent before taking on another, and so then afterwards, after she beat Rosemary, they played audio of wee Y Chew laughing and Jordan like, you know, like Seth rollins and and Bray White had to act just terrified, as if anyone could possibly be scared of Wendy Chew with her pajamas and pillow laughing but she, you know, was freaked out. Colnie Jordan was or a mensa go into an argument buying Peman Junior. So they're gonna feud. Chase you was celebrating their title win when Duke Hudson and uh Riley Osborne were sad about having lost, and Axiom Nathan Fraser showed up and did a very scripted promo where they finished each other's sentences. I the thing that's that's so funny, but about about uh And I guess it's sort of a positive in a sense because like, there are all these things that that used to happen all the time on the main roster with Vincent Land there, and so many of them have gone away, not all of them, you know, particularly the finishes, but so many of them have gone away. And I watched NXT and and ryding like, oh yeah, they don't do that on the main roster anymore. Isn't it great? They don't do that anymore in the main roster. I don't need to really need to see on NXT either, But it's you know, it's nice that it's it's less common on the main roster. Brooks Jensen beat Blade in a quick match. It was fine, but Jensen is better as a face and a heel hank a tank on an argument with OTM, so they're gonna wrestle. Joe Coffee beat Javan Evans with the help of other members of GALLAS, so it looks like Evans will be enlisting help and UH and coming back after them. Pretty good match, best match on the show. And the final segment was a Joe Hendry concert and he as He's wanted to do sang a derogatory song about Ethan Page, basically making fun of Ethan Page's wacky past gimmicks and eclectic interests. I thought it made Page more likable, actually, but who knows how the average person is going to take that. And then Page came out he was unhappy and.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: Then Ava came out and she said that because Paige was disrespectful to w a B officials, Trick Williams would be the special guest referee for the uh Page versus Hendry match. And then Henry hit Page with his choke slam and Trick counted the pen So same game they were doing there with Ora Mensa. And then Peter Dunn also made some threatening remarks sort of away from the ring at the close of the show. So yeah, that was n XT this week. A lot going on as uh as usual.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So how does a Norm Mercy look?
Speaker 3: I would say not that great. Hopefully I am wrong about that, you know, in terms of looking at at match quality, because you know, the main event is Ethan Page and Joe Henry and I just don't think they're gonna have your usual main event quality match. Hopefully I'm wrong about that. But neither of those guys are are you know, great wrestlers. I think Ethan Page is a good wrestler. He can have a strong match with a good, good opponent, but Joe Henry's is not particularly opponent. You know, Roxham president Teta park will be probably be pretty good, but they're both you know, well they're not both pretty inexperienced. With Jada Parker is pretty inexperienced, even though she's good, So I wouldn't count on her to have like a you know, a great match. Chase you and Frasier Axiom should be a strong match over me and an Tony DeAngelo should should be good. Colonie Jordan Wendy to probably won't be very good, and Lee and Zachary went so probably be the best mess match in the show. So it doesn't it doesn't feel like a a super show on paper, and it doesn't feel like a uh, you know, terribly anticipated match either. It's also five matches out of sixer titles on the line, and that's not even all the titles, which is pretty pretty stupid for a you know, one week, you know, one show a week developmental to have that many titles. But yeah, also go through the matches that Ethan papers Joe Henry. I could see that one going either way. They seem very interested in Henry, but he is still a teenage guy for now, and Trick Linkers is a Challenger and it would makes more sense for him the Challenge Page than Henry if he's getting the title back. So I think Page retains, but who knows. As I mentioned with ROX and President Data Parker for the woman's title, they teased the mister person getting involved and they love to book an excuse for the finish, so that person costing Jada would make sense, whether it's Julia or Stephanie Vaker or or Wade Keller, Chase You and Nathan Fraser and Axiom, they've been teasing a Fraser Axiom break up for a long time, and them losing here and then splitting makes the most sense. Femi and DiAngelo. Femi's delivered every time in the big match, and I don't expect this to be an exception. I'd be very surprised if if Emi doesn't retain, though, and then Colonie Jordan wenty Chu Jordan will retain. I think they can have a good match if they don't get bogged down in stupidity, but I think they're gonna get bogged down in stupidity. And then Lee and Wentz definitely the favorite to be match of the night is mentioned. Lee just turned and he's the NXT guy and he has the most upside, so I think he wins, although the way that Lee buried TNA and his burial of once gives me pause. And uh yeah, that's the only non title match of the bunch, all.
Speaker 1: Right, give yourself a reason to look forward to going into the mailbox each week with a PW Torch newsletter paper copy. Subscription details at PW torch dot com Slash paper Copy. It's twelve pages every week, packed with my TV reports along with exclusive features such as my cover story on the top story of the week, our pay per view roundtable reviews from the Torch staff, Exclusive feature length columns from Greg Parks, Rich Fan, Sean Radikin, Alan Coonahan and Zach Hadorn, Torch Talk transcripts, the latest news, and more. PW torch dot com slash paper Copy. Take a break from screen time and settle in every week with the Megando suppressling news in analysis with a Pro Wrestling Torch newsletter paper copy edition in the year twenty twenty two. You can get a full year of home delivery for just ninety nine dollars, or try us for an eight week trial subscription. PW torch dot Com slash paper Copy. Let's just smacked out from last Friday as they head towards Bash in Berlin. They were in Washington, d C. At Capitol One Arena, Great Arena, great town, Todd.
Speaker 3: I hear, yes, lovely place. I didn't go to the show.
Speaker 1: Though, Yeah, well, I mean, who would who would brave it?
Speaker 3: So what does that mean, be.
Speaker 1: Brave enough to go to DC? I hear all these terrible things. No that's not true, right, whatever, No, I'm kidding, all right. So yeah, so we're opened with the Grayson Waller Effect and Kevin Owens as their guest.
Speaker 3: What do you think, Yeah, it is kind of it is kind of odd when you're when you're from d C, that like d C has sort of become like this pejorative thing in like political circles, and you know, politicians will always talk about how terrible d C is and I don't have this DC mentality and I want to be these d C people, and you know, it doesn't really matter in the context, Like it's still like a relatively small metro area of relch of other people, but no one ever stands up for it. Isn't like you know, when like Trump allegedly said bad things about Milwaukee and like everyone piled on, like you can just trash d C left and right, and uh and nobody will be bothered by it. So uh, it's too It's it's too bad. And did you ask about the first segment or did we did? Okay, Yeah, I thought it was an effective segment. You know, you had the further teasing of issues between Wallnert theory as well as Cody and Owen's one of the things that that the Triple h has done well to maintain interest during his time running things is he's always doing these weeks week stories, teasing turns, and in the long term that may and issues as far as turning people too often and just watering down the meaning of the turns and feeling too redundant. But for the time being, one of the hooks for fans on every show is there's you know, constant chapters and all these different turns that are going on, and it makes it, you know, like it's wrestling is frequently described as a a soap opera for men, and this is, you know, a sort of a classic example for it where it's just, you know, week to week, you got these you know, little drama things and you know things are you know, moving one one direction or another with all these different characters, and it, you know, it makes sense to flag Owen's history of turning on people and his his defense of himself was amusing.
Speaker 1: I was amused when he asked if he could go punch Grason Waller and you know, you expect all this to be like no, no, now, you know, we have to have decorum, and he goes, just make it quick.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, wait, you were expecting that. I was definitely expecting him to sign off on that.
Speaker 1: Well, oh, you would expect an authority figure to frown on such a thing, as opposed to encourage it unless they are.
Speaker 3: The way the way he set it up here, it certainly seemed like he was gonna sign he was going to sign off on it.
Speaker 1: Well, it was great, great delivery from all this.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, it's just there's a natural setup.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, so you don't have to agree with me. I thought all this His timing was really good here in the way that he delivered the line, and it added a little extra punch to uh, to the punch, so to speak. All right, then Ellie Knight Santos Escobar Night Ones in nine minutes, retaining title.
Speaker 3: What then? I thought it worked for what it was. They did a good job making you think that maybe Santos will win despite it seeming unlikely when the match started.
Speaker 1: All right then, Uh. The promo for the barbershop with Carmelo, Hayes Andreday barged In had some words with him. Hayes complained that the doors weren't locked when he was talking. Any thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: We're getting more on Todi Carmelo matches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right? Backstage segment with Berto and Angel and Electra and Escobar interacting with them, and then we had a baron Corban Apollo Cruz, the Hottest act and pro wrestling. Those two man can't wait to see what they do, are going to do every week getting h interjecting themselves, setting up something for later.
Speaker 3: Any any thoughts on that they need a cheesy tag team name like you know or something like that the Express, Yeah, just you know, chees a lookout of dissension and you know that we're continuing to sue.
Speaker 1: With ac AC dash BC takeoff on a c DC.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 3: You explain it for me. Yeah, thanks, Wayne, I wasn't sure what was happening there.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 3: I like it. I would have liked it better if you didn't have the explanation at the end, but.
Speaker 1: It wasn't for I knew I I figured you'd get it. I was highly confident, but our few fixed listeners based on the mail bank, who probably could use a little help sometimes.
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, come on, now, you tell me I mean that that is not true. That is not true?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Then you're a feisty mood today that that that thing you did earlier and now this Geez.
Speaker 1: Blair Blair Davenport Alpa firelid on against Jay Cargo beyond Blair and nail me, nail.
Speaker 3: Me in fact, in fact, Wade, I'm gonna I'm gonna do you one better. That is their new nickname here on the Fix, A C B C. That's what they're getting called from here.
Speaker 1: Good good. So yeah, what do you what do you think it is?
Speaker 3: The match? I thought it was fun. Yeah, I thought they worked well together, you know, more showcase for the baby Faces, but yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay. Then the Bloodline made their ring entrance and he presented the take team title from Jacob Too to uh Tongala. What do you think of the segment?
Speaker 3: I thought it was fine. There was a better week for Solo as far as fitting into his role than some of the other ones.
Speaker 1: And and on one attense scale like eight, nine to ten being very successful, seven being ah get by or other numbers that you can associate proper terms with, where is he with for you right now?
Speaker 8: Four?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think that's that's probably hde Land Like, okay.
Speaker 3: Sounds like you've more I feel like, even more charitable to him than that.
Speaker 1: But really I feel like I've been hard on him, like I I'll criticize and then I'll and I'll just be like it's it's it's enough to get by. He's okay, but I think the tone sinks. Okay, from a five a little under a five. Okay, I'll be I'll be bold here Todd four point five. Yeah, I know you like that?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Byron Sexton interviewed. Uh, Ellen Night backstage, Any thoughts that no was a lite to it?
Speaker 10: Then?
Speaker 1: Uh, Tongualow and Tomatonga if anything that's profits and uh, the Bloodline won this one in about ten minutes. Any thoughts on that?
Speaker 3: Okay, match week finish and then you know a little bit of action afterwards to make the Bloodline seem uh seem menacing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right? Then Uh they cut to a smiling Cody backstage, which has been a topic of conversation in a couple of places. What was that smile all about? Looked like he was, you know, practicing for a tooth based commercial or something. Kevin Owens walked walked up to him and addressed that people think he's going to turn on him, but he mounked and Cody with very reassuring words for kog. All I can do is take you at your word and prepare for what happens next. If I'm Kevin Owens, I wouldn't consider that a endorsement of his vow.
Speaker 3: No, No, not at all.
Speaker 1: No, not at all. So are they are they leaning so hard into it that it makes you think it's less likely or more likely, or it's a toss up, who knows. It's just kind of a fun way to take the journey to whether Ko turns on Cody or not.
Speaker 3: I still think that they're going to do a turn, and I think that the fact that there, I think that they're leaning into it now because it isn't gonna the turn isn't gonna happen in the way that they're laying it out now. Like the idea here is like Owens can't be trusted, like he's had to get you know that that he might, you know, just turn on Cody for you know, for no reason, because you can't trust the guy. And I think the story is more gonna be like he's sort of put upon and frustrated and feels like he sort of boxed into a corner, as opposed to like you just couldn't trust him from the beginning. With that said, even though I still think that's the direction, does them leaning this hard into it make it seem more likely or less likely that I'm right in my initial reaction that eventually Owens is going to be a heel out of this less likely? I mean, I think they're they are leaning into it hard enough that it does make me wonder whether it's not going to go in that direction. But it being pro wrestling, I always think, like when you start teasing someone is going to turn. They aren't necessarily going to turn, but usually somebody turns. So like I'm thinking and like, okay, maybe if like Owens isn't turning, this is building to like orton turning at the end of this, like with you know, like you know, Cody not trusting Ham or you know, some sort of other tangle, because it's rare in pro wrestling that, you know, someone like they tease all this person's gonna turn and then at the end they're like nope, I'm just a friend, and then they just move on from things. That's that's an you know, it's it's not that common of a scenario.
Speaker 10: I'm Chris Maitland and I'm justin mcclellands. We host Wrestling Coast to Coast, where we scour the wrestling scene to find the best wrestling from the smallest places.
Speaker 9: There are thousands of matches happening every week, so Wrestling Coast to Coast is here to discover the men and women who could be big time stars in a few years.
Speaker 10: There are plenty of podcasts to voters, to w W and AW, but what's happening in the armories and gymnasiums local wrestling hotspots around the country.
Speaker 9: We can't wait to help you find the true hidden gyms of the wrestling world. Plus, you can hear Chris complain about.
Speaker 10: Bad referees and justin bemoaning dog pal fins.
Speaker 9: Don't forget my fetal search to see a blue Thunderbomb win a match.
Speaker 10: How can I like? The name says we cover the hottest independent promotions from around the country. So this just as Prestige Action, West Coast, Pro Revolver and Beyond Wrestling.
Speaker 9: Actually, Chris, I think we sick pretty much too wrestling.
Speaker 10: No, I mean Beyond Wrestling out of Wooster, Oh Right. Our show's part of the PW Torch Daily cast lineup and typically drops on Thursdays. Search PW Torch in your podcast app, as subscribed to the PW Torch Daily Cast, or stream our shows directly from PW touch dot com. Find full details on the PW Torch Daily Cast lineup at pwtrschdailycast dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, then Byron Sex was backstage and said both they and street property are being tended to, and then be Fab walked out and said they're fine, But Candice and Indie ran in and be Fab like, no, they're fine, They're just upset. What was that for? Just to convey the idea, Hey, they got beat up and we're just going to put these two or these three women film them reacting to it, or or did it lay the groundwork for something else going on here? I thought it was a weird segment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought it was a weird segment too. I mean, I you know, going back to turns again, I mean, it seems to me perhaps it's it's about you know, either the street profits turning on Gargana and Champa, or Gargana and Champa turning on the street profits. And given Indie and Candae have already turned and haven't really been associated with Gargano and Champa since turning them being reassociated with Gargano and Champa and their heels, you know, makes one wonder in that direction.
Speaker 1: Then Pretty Deadly were decorating the crown for Nia Jackson. Tiffany Swritten said it was disgusting what Michen did, and jack said, you'll get back at her for touching that crown. Any thoughts on on that segment there in the interaction.
Speaker 3: Oh, you didn't even get to the main event here, so like, I mean, this isn't going to do any harm, But this was one of the dumber segments you ever got to see, just in terms of like watching it at being ridiculous and that Pretty Deadly Tiffany and Nya are loudly talking, and then the premise is Chelsea and Piper are having a private conversation not recognizing Naya is there, and they're literally right next to each other. I mean, they were not four feet away from the original position where these people are standing here, like you could see the original spot in the original spot in the camera as they turned the camera thirty degrees to show Chelsea and Piper standing right next to them, Like you can see Chelsea and Piper in the screen You can literally see the spot where Naya was at the beginning, still in the same shot, and then Nia in the middle of it, standing next to them as they're having their conversation here. It was ridiculous. Again, doesn't matter, but I thought it was comically ridiculous how this thing went. And I mean, it's it's sort of hard to describe, but I feel like if you if you watch that and it didn't strike you, like, watch it again because you just weren't paying very close attention and how ridiculous the whole thing was.
Speaker 1: It is the idea of Green and Piper knew they were being overheard.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so. I think they just didn't want to be bothered, like giving enough. I thought they'd just be it would be quicker and easier to shoot the way that they did, and they were like whatever. People will pretend that they weren't that they weren't. You know, they weren't as close as they were because it wasn't an their interest to do that like they were. You know, she seemed shocked and upset when it was there, because now she's gonna get beat up by Nia Jacks, which she presumably doesn't want to have happened.
Speaker 1: And I bring that up only because it has been brought up as as it's the you''re sort of caught between. Well, that wouldn't make sense. But then the way it was filmed doesn't make any sense either, So we have to maybe consider both as options because it was so ridiculous.
Speaker 3: If EE was just lazy shooting, I think they just didn't want to, you know, they just wanted to shoot it quick and dirty, and rather than sort of walking over to another place and worrying abou shooting back and forth, they wanted to film the two things back to back. And they're like, eh, artistic.
Speaker 1: Liberty, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, as we sometimes say less diplomatically, it's pro wrestling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Cody wrote and Kevin Owans against graysomal or notes and theory. Cody and Ko went in twelve minutes. Yeah what do you think of that? And and then just the celebration afterwards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not much to the match, and you know they're not they're not teasing Owens turning all that hard even if they're you know, still giving you a little bit in that direction.
Speaker 1: Anything else. So what's back down?
Speaker 3: Nope?
Speaker 1: All right, so we'll jump to raw from earlier this week, and are you do you think they did about what you would expect in terms of acknowledging the death of Sid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean what would be the argument against that? Oh?
Speaker 1: Well, sometimes there's a video package, sometimes there is and sometimes they're a mench at the top of the show. Sometimes it's later in the show. So yeah, I don't know. Yeah, I mean it seemed right to me, But I didn't know if anything jumped out to you in terms of because I just don't. Yeah, I just don't know how they view him in their lens of history, in terms of what category he falls in, other than you know, for sure mentioning him.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I think that mattered more under Vince, who was more apt to focus on people that he had good personal relations with. I think Connor is more just like if you, you know, if you were a you know, if you're an important person in the in the business, we're not so worried about the politics, even we'll feature you. And even if it was that wasn't the case, Like I think, I think Vince would have done that too. I my my sense years back was that Sid probably wasn't on very good relations with them based on you know, like the various you know issues with him leaving the company over the years. But then they brought them running back for that episode of Raw and like, you know whatever, it was twenty twelve or so twenty ten, and I was like, oh, okay, so they must be on you know, at least decent terms, because you know, they you know, there are other people where you know, they just never bring them back, and like those are the people I assume have you know, some sort of heat.
Speaker 1: M all right, so raupin with they segment the Judgment Day and uh will turn out to be their opponents in the LWO talk about the segment preceding the match, and then the match that Judgment Day won that went full fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: I thought that the promo segment was weak. You know, you have the heels saying welcome to the show like they're the weekly greaders, and then they throw to the video package like they're the announcers, and then they just drone on forever without really saying anything consequence. So I wasn't a fan of that. I thought Judgment Danieloo is pretty good match, and uh, you know Live helps Dominic beat Ray again to advance their pairing. And then you know we got Rihan and Dominic coming out to redominant Rhian Damien coming out to UH to get some revenge, which you know, I think was appropriate as well. So yeah, I want us to get to the physicality is better?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: Jacob Bridman interviewed Mis backstage. Any thoughts on that?
Speaker 3: Yes, and I wait you you you left out in your report the key line of this whole thing, yeah, which is that the miss still a sensibly insensibly a babas. Did you catch this line? Wade?
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't know yet.
Speaker 3: Oh if you don't, If you don't know you caught this line, you did not catch this line, miss said? He claimed that the Intercontinental title is the title that he made prestigious.
Speaker 1: He said, yeah, yeah, I'm miss set.
Speaker 3: This man needs to write the forward for Steve CRN's next book.
Speaker 1: Yes, who made the icy title more famous than miss Prestigious?
Speaker 3: I would say most most other holders.
Speaker 1: Being a title that's a bit of a soap could could be a long a long answer if you were to be specific. So anything else beyond that, no, okay?
Speaker 3: So yeah, then the man that made the Intercontinental title prestigious the miss.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, Umm, I'm pottering that backstage Jagsabord's warming up when cople Kingston walked in and they talked about how mature they are to talk things out. What do you think?
Speaker 3: Nothing to it, you know, just highlighting their stoke hold despite the continuing issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right then, uh, a pure fusion collective. Shane of Baserons always Stark with Sonia took on Kyrie Sane and Eel Sky did a little segment with PFC before that, and then Kyrine Sky one in eight minutes, which you think.
Speaker 3: It's fine? All right? Uh?
Speaker 1: Is PFC warming up? Are you warming up to the to the name?
Speaker 3: I like the name from the beginning, I mean again, just in sort of the silliness of it, you know, Yeah, I don't. I don't want the abbreviation. I want pure Fusion Collective. It's you know, it's it's something, the pure fusion collective. What does it even mean for sure for us all to consider it to ponder? Yes, I like to think of myself as a pure fusion collective myself.
Speaker 1: They could have done the s C S connection, the s z S or the ZSS express that's got a ring to it. Bs D for their last names BSD express sounds kind of like the bfd BFG. Yeah all right, uh bo Dallas vignette without the uncle Howdy cost him.
Speaker 3: Rolled all books when you were a kid weighed or those getting more popular a little bit later?
Speaker 1: Which books rolled?
Speaker 3: All? No?
Speaker 1: I didn't?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So what do you think of the Bodallas vignette?
Speaker 3: It was fine? You know, it's very much a pretty white style parma.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A bond forged in the tears of the innocent arrogance is like a beast risen from the sea. Okay, then it's just for people who didn't watch, and I want to convey some of the tone of it. They must cut off the head so the blood of the damn washes away the sins of the wicked.
Speaker 10: All right.
Speaker 1: So our two open with Drew McIntyre talking about CM punk and uh yeah, and then Punk attacking Drew from behind at the end. What'd you think.
Speaker 3: That was a good problem? I don't think it was terribly not worthy in the overall, you know, the overall arcude story.
Speaker 1: We're about to go to a commercial break. Why listened to commercial breaks when you can go vip and experience our shows with the ads and plugs removed. Pw torch dot com slash go VP. That's pw torch dot com slash go VIP for full details, or go to Patreon, Patreon dot com slash PW Torch vip ratestart as low as four dollars in ninety nine cents to remove the ads and plugs through Patreon. Full VIP membership starts at nine dollars in ninety nine cents to reach yourself to a streamlined, ad and plug free listening experience with a VIP or Patreon membership. Is the deconstruction of of of Punk's promo through just openly mocking isn't it great to be alive and blank? And then I talk about my and then he talks about himself and then sitting across like it is it like if somebody just like deconstructs a kind of a routine that you have as part of your job or I don't know, or your personality that sort of frames you as unoriginal and following a certain pattern, which is what Drew is getting at there? Is it is it too?
Speaker 3: Does it?
Speaker 1: Does it hurt Punk going forward? Or do you think it was sort of self evidence and harmless.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's been doing that sort of stuff all year, and I think it has had a negative effect on on uh on Punk, although I think, you know, the Punk not wrestling that much and you know, ruining all those matches probably has had more of it. But yeah, I mean it's you know, it's a general consideration. I just feel like, you know, that's sort of baked in at this point, honestly. I mean, it's you know, it's not it's not anything new.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right. Then, uh, Jason made his way to the ring from the concourse and we had our first of the triple threat matches to earn a chance to enter a fatal four way to then earn a chance at the Icy title.
Speaker 3: I had a weird mix of triple threat matches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hope in the context of this that we just get an open challenge where someone just gets to show up on a video screen and get a shot and bypass all of this. So Jay Wednesday eight minutes, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I didn't think I was right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right? Then Sound by Air with Gunther in Europe. Any any thoughts on that promo? It wasn't a big part of the show. No, Yeah, all right. Then Randy Orton's promo covered a lot of ground here, which you think, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was weird, and I don't mean that in a negative way. I kind of enjoy like pandering babyface Orton because it's in such contrast how he usually presents himself. And then he twisted himself into a knot to explain why this random trinket that created a year ago is important to him. Yeah, God, God bless you anymore. You're really You're really trying here, You're really trying. It was different. I I enjoyed it. I don't I don't know how effective it was, but you know, I thought it was. I thought it was fun. It's sort of a little you know, novelty, uh novelty promo that you know is the sort of thing you typically hear from him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, all right. Then Bronson read in Big excuse me, Bronze Strowman and Big Bronson Reid.
Speaker 3: You can call them both big.
Speaker 1: It's fine, that's true. Big ended up in a parking lot with a roof getting caved in somewhat, sparks flying, as happens when people land on roofs.
Speaker 3: I watched that multiple times, Wade, and my first thought was, like, did they gimmick a spark in that thing? Like, what a weird thing to do? Why would there be sparks in the car? I watched it a few times. I think that was legit. I think that was legitimately something weird happening with the wiring there the car is like I would think if they wanted to like do like a big spark thing, there have been multiple sparks going off. It was just one little wire like at that top area, and it was so you know, it was so weird and it was just so small that I thought, I think that's probably legit. I mean, I certainly would not be shocked if that was gimmicked, but like, what a weird thing to gimmick like one spark off in.
Speaker 1: The mid really, you know?
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was it was odd either way.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's like a w the Pyro was supposed to be a lot more spectacular and it just kind of fizzled, And now we're all talking about a little little fizzle, little spark.
Speaker 3: Oh the Eddie Kingston thing, Yeah, yeah, although yeah, explosion, the poor eight one one thing happens a few years another you know, it's like they're known for that. It's a promotion. Yeah, I thought it was that.
Speaker 1: That was the actually a historically significant moment in a w in a certain way because it's I think it's a turning point for some people, like the Tony Khan because of how he handled that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the reaction afterwards, Yeah, that was great. I thought it was a fun brawl. They didn't give you a finish, but I think that's fine. They gave you a lot of chaos. Bronson came out looking strong, and I assume it's building to Bronson getting a pin in another time. So yeah, I thought it was a fun brawl and best thing on the show for you know my book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what's a what's a likely trajectory of Bronz Strowman and Bronson read both coming out of this.
Speaker 3: Stroman is just a you know, guy there to put over other people, and you know you have to. You want to present him strong enough that he can help in putting over other people, which means, you know, showcasing how big and impressive he looks, and the fact he does have some credibility built in from being pushed at points in the past. But yeah, I mean, he's there to help other people at this point. And as far as Bronson read, I mean that's a big question. I mean, you know, it sure didn't feel like Hunter had a lot of belief in uh In Bronson Reid. And you know it's even even when they started, you know that they started to set up this you know, little program with seth Rawlins. I you know, I initially was not sold either that you know, that they were going to do something significant with him. But you know, they they sure seem more invested in him now. So hopefully hopefully they they are. I mean, because I I think highly of the guy, and uh, you know, I think you're seeing you know, I think you're seeing him do well in the role. So yeah, hopefully they're hopefully they're thinking of him that as somebody that can be a you know, player in the in the upper mix for a while.
Speaker 1: All right, then, Uh, Pete Dunn Exavor Woods in the miss and the other uh and other weird match. Yeah, Dun gets to win here in eleven minutes with a bitter end what pinning miss?
Speaker 3: What do you think? It's fine? I don't like Pete Dunn's odds of earning this title shot though, hmm, sorry Pete.
Speaker 1: Then Jack a brown breaker back stage who commented on on the the fight, the fight's going on to try to earn a shot. What'd you think?
Speaker 3: I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed the little callback to the Steiners and the Headshrinkuerds and small and Swat Team, So, I mean, I wasn't even thinking about that Sarah context in uh in this little few but that's little, you know, little historical contexts for people that remember those matches, and you know, they had some fun matches.
Speaker 1: Then Chack Gable and Uncle Howdie and he's right, I don't remember.
Speaker 3: I don't remember the you know, the Fai family beating, the beating the Steiners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wouldn't know either way, but for sure, but yeah, yeah, so Chack Gable Uncle Howdy in the main event. How did Uncle Howdie's debut singles match on Raw as a wrestler go?
Speaker 3: For you? By the way, Before that, they aired a little Damian Priest for of Repley video that I thought it was excellent. I thought they had the perfect time in terms of the way they're sort of carrying themselves and interacting together and sort of having an edge to it, but being baby faces, I thought the match was okay. I do think there's a bit of an Emperor's new clothes issue with the group once you step away the gimmicks, but you know, so it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah anything else from Rock Nope? All right, so let's run through the Bashi in Berlin lineup. There'll be a little bit more hype obviously tomorrow night on SmackDown, Goon through Randy Orton. Is zeem pretty obvious that goes on last? Or is it obvious the undisputed title that Cody Hoads goes on last, because that's the most prestigious title and Cody is still the biggest star on the show.
Speaker 3: I would be I would be surprised if if the Cody match goes on last. I think they're gonna go last with Gun and RTN.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, Guthornton, what do you think? What do you think of this is what happens?
Speaker 3: I'm I'm curious, you know how good it is? I mean, the crowd should be really hot. I never expect a classic out of Randy Orton, but I think this has a better chance of being that than any other match. Orton's had in over a decade because he's in there with Gunter in a great setting and a high profile spot. So you know, here's this chance, you know, to prove that, you know, you know, prove what type of great wrestler he is because he's you know, often labeled a great wrestler, but he you know, and I mean he you know, he obviously has his has his strengths as a performer, but he does he hasn't has produced a lot of classic matches over the years, and this is you know, a uh, you know, a definite opportunity and as far as the finish yet, Gunter will definitely one.
Speaker 1: And as we talked about the production meeting, I take the other side, and I think that's going to be a letdown. I think peop are going to be disappointed. I think people's hopes are too high. The build has actually been too effective and built up expectations and it will be a typical three star Randy Orton special and going through have to prove himself against other opponents.
Speaker 3: Well you say that, I'm not taking a strong stand on Orton having a you know, better than three star match. I mean, like, you know, like there's you know there's a Charlie Brown football element to to doing that, like you know, like, uh, I'll take what comes, but yeah, I'm I'm not you know, like, don't don't watch this show because you know, Todd guaranteed you're getting a uh, you know, a four and a half star on the old scale match.
Speaker 1: You know that goes with your UOC event recommendations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, UFC's are tough to product. It's you know that most of them are very good, but you know, you know, some of the ones you don't expect to be very good or are are good, and some of the ones you uh, you expect to be very good artist good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, So Cody and Kevin Kale other Men's World Tidle Match, what do you think? What do you think happens here?
Speaker 3: Cody will win, and you know the question is whether they're gonna, you know, work an angle into the finish or whether they have Cody win and then do an angle afterwards, either after the match or in the coming weeks. I do not expect this to be a one off with Cody winning and Owen's continuing his a face, even if Owens isn't turning out of this thing. I still think they're going to continue this thing after the show.
Speaker 1: Then Seeampunk your McIntire strap match. What's what's gonna happen here?
Speaker 3: I mean, since you know drew one the last one, I think Punk will get us one back here and he'll get the bracelet, so we can move on from that this particular aspect. But I don't expect the program overall to be over well. I hope that they can have a better match than they did at Summer Sam. And granted I was lower on that than than some people, but you know, the consensus was not like awesome either.
Speaker 1: Right. Does the bracelet end up in a glass case that's some hall of fame or dough to b experience event in Saudi Arabia or elsewhere someday, or I.
Speaker 3: Mean, it's I think it's way too precious to let seem Punk let it out of his hands in an exhibit.
Speaker 1: It would be actually somewhat hypocritical of Punk to it it to be on display because it is so private.
Speaker 3: No, he's gonna have that under his pillow.
Speaker 1: Except for you know, a random week when he says the bracelet doesn't matter. And I don't know if that was reverse psychology.
Speaker 3: Or I think what happened there looking back was they hadn't sort of decided how this thing was going to play out, and they're like, well, let's just you know, like because they're like, this thing isn't working. And then someone's like, hey, you know what, let's just finish it off at the at the next show and we'll have you know, Punk get the bracelet back and then we'll move on from there. So I think I think that was the decision.
Speaker 1: And then Punk said, do I want to speak up and say? This makes me look like an idiot? Because one week I'm saying how portant it is, the next week I'm saying it doesn't matter to me, and then I'm back to caring about it. And I don't think this works for me, but I don't want to be that person who complains, So I'm just going to go with it because the paycheck's clear.
Speaker 3: He's he's done plenty of things this year that undercut him more than caring about a bracelet one weekend, then not carying about the next week, yeah, and then carry about the week.
Speaker 4: Longing for some nostalgia or maybe you want to learn some wrestling history don't miss the Nineties Past cast every Friday on the PW Torch Daily Cast Feed. Alex and Patrick will transport you thirty years into the past by taking you through the Torch issue from that very week. Follow news from the WWF and WCW and all the happenings from across the wrestling industry in real time as The Torch reported it thirty years ago. That's the Nineties Pass cast every Friday on the PW Torch Daily Cast Feed.
Speaker 1: All right, then, Dami Prieston, Rea Ripley against Dominic Masterio and Live Morgan a mixed bag match. What do you think of the build and how anticipated this match is at this point given all the lead up to it.
Speaker 3: I think the bill has been good. I think there's a I think there's anticipation for the match. I think people are are looking forward to it and we'll enjoy it. I'm of two minds in the finish. On on the one hand, Rhea and Priest are so much higher priorities than Domin Live and domond Live just got over on them at Summer Slam, So part of me says, let Rihion and Priests get the win and then you can get the heat back on them on the heels. After that, other part of me says that, like, because Rihei and Priest are so much stronger, you know, give Judgment Day a win, to give them a little credibility at the start of the angle. The thing that tests me towards having Priest and Real win is that Baler isn't in the match, and they presented him as the strongest linking Judgment Day. So you can have them, you know, you can have Priest pin Dominic and then still, you know, move things towards a you know, a ballort priest match.
Speaker 1: All right, and what's the last match? Oh, the women's take title match Fire and Don against Beller and Jade.
Speaker 3: I'd be very surprised if Bianca and Jay didn't win back the titles. But then again, I was very surprised they lost him in the first place. But I don't expect the breakup to come until wrestling any of time, So it makes more sense in the interim to have them holding the titles and not holding the titles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, anything else before we turn away from do to b t UC Nope, all right, so USC, Todd, what's on? What's on the docket?
Speaker 3: For the Fix this week. So we're gonna talk about last week's show, which was a good show, and uh, this is one that that probably should run the road rather than at the Apex because unlike the vast majority of these Apex shows, this had, you know, a bunch of high quality fighters and steakes. Main event was Kyo Baralio and Jared Cannonier. That that named Kyle Borlio. It feels like it's just ready to go off the rails at any point, you know, Like I feel like, even if you get used to saying it, it's you know, you can never feel that comfortable.
Speaker 1: With it, the whole name or the last name, Like what what really all of it?
Speaker 3: It's just it's just a roller coaster of a name. So Bahalio is the upstart, younger guy undefeating the UFC. Cannoneer is the veteran who's been a top contender for years, and as is often the case in M m A, it was a changing in the guard competitive fight earlier early, but Bralio Bohalio took over as it went on. Rock Canyear in the third, Rock Canyear in the fifth, and uh, Cannoneer wasn't reacting all that well to getting hit, which is not a great sign as you uh get into your forties, and Bajolio called for a fight afterwards with the Draycus Duplessy, which he won't get, but he might be maybe two or three fights away if he can keep winning, so uh, you know, he's uh, he's not that far off at this point and this this fight will will help him because he he looked good against Ah, a good opponent. They also had the Ultimate Fighter Finales Our finals. I mentioned last week about how much Robert Valentine had stood out on the show, and unfortunately he lost to a pretty one dimensional Westler. Ryan Loder took him down and Valentine actually went to town with submissions and was controlling most of the fight on the ground, but eventually Vader was able to trap him in a crucifix and it wasn't like he was devastating Valentine with with with shots by any means, but he was just trapped and the referee stopped that because he wasn't able to defend himself. And that I feel like there was a finish more a number of years back, and it's it's not satisfying one because like you're not. You're not really like it's it's it's almost like a loophole finish because like you're not. The crucifix is not a position where you usually can do that much damage from because you have to use you have to control the guy's arms in a way that you can only throw elbows from relatively short distance. And you can do some damage with those short elbows from from from from short distance, but it's, you know, usually it just ends up being relatively light, you know, light punches and elbows. But if you just keep you know, punching an elbow and the guy and the guy isn't you know, isn't able to do anything to defend himself, then you know, referees are gonna stop it, so so it goes. Other final was Myron Santos knocking out Confley with a left hooke in exchange. Beautiful finish, but I don't see either of these finishers winners going far as Dana White Contender Series has become the the dominant entry point for UFC fighters now, and Ultimate Fighter is basically an afterthought kind of a relic from you know, from an earlier days with you know, Dana White Can Series being where they filter you know, pretty much all the top contenders through and put the top prospects through rather and you know, now you know, so many of the uh you know, the top fighters in the UFC roster came through you know, came through the UH through the Contender series. By the way, I there's a funny moment of the Contender Series this week where these two guys had a great fight and they make this big production the Dana White is going to give the loser not only his show bonus, not only his win bonus, but another bonus on top of that, and the announcers are like freaking out, like oh my god, like what a you know, they've never done anything like this. He's getting all these bonuses. And then later you overhear Data White going yeah, you're getting an extra fifteen K, and it's like, I mean, look, I'd like to have, you know, I'd like fifteen K for Data if he wants to give me for fifteen K. But they've made such this production and it's like, you know, fifteen K of this promotion that's you know, like a million dollar company, and uh, you know is uh he is making hundreds of millions of dollars a year anyway. Uh. In addition to the to the to the main event and the Ulti Fighter finale's uh, there is also another up and comer versus veteran fight with Neil Magni and Michael Morales, and up and Comer won there too. Magni was going for takedown on Morales and Morales was defending for a while, and then when he had a moment, he threw a spinning back elbow and it you know, it knocked uh, Magni down and back and down, and he got him down to the ground, got his back, finding him out and pounded him out. So Morales now seventeen to oh and uh, he's only twenty five, so he could have a pretty uh, pretty bright future there given the way his his career started. Edmund Shabbassian and Jerald Miershard this is a hell will come back. So Miershart has always been a one dimensional submission guy and Shabbasian was just lighting him upstanding for pretty much the entire fight. But Meershart survived. He hung in there to his credit and uh and in the second late in the second he managed to take down and grabbed an arm triangle and got the submission, so it was, uh, it was quite the turnaround. And with that submission, Meershart is now the middleweight fighter in UFC history with the most finishes, which boy, I don't know anyone would have been able to guess if they hadn't heard it specifically on this telecast, because that is one, you know, counterintuitive record. But good for uh, good for Meershart and uh for Schabasian. I mean it's you know, it's not the first time he managed to smash smash defeat from the jaws of victory and impressive opener as Wayang Kong knocked out Victoria Leonardo with a two punch combination in a hurry, and Kong has a kickbox background. She wants to beat Valentina Chevchenko and kickboxing. She's on being an MMA and she's confident. After the beautiful k I winning her UFC debut, she said she wasn't happy because she should have been on the main card rather than the opener, which is a pretty badass thing to say. So I enjoyed that and no no show this week so people can enjoy the return of college football on Siduray, although it's starting up starting up now only a few minutes from from North Carolina, Carolina and Minnesota. Wade excited. I no, no, yeah, what what a disappointment?
Speaker 1: When when does? When's the first NFL game next weekend?
Speaker 3: Well, next Thursday on.
Speaker 1: A Thursday night. Okay, yeah, so it's another Thursday night start. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as we're recording next week.
Speaker 1: Yes, what what is the opening game?
Speaker 3: I have it here somewhere I don't remember offhand, but as usual, it's in Kansas City. Yeah, there you go, big game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't even know who the Vikings playing their first game. I'm gonna look this up on NERK Giants. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would say, I would say an easy first Treek, but I don't know that the Viking is gonna have many easy weeks this year.
Speaker 1: No, no, yeah, all right, it's a Sunday new game. All right, Todd. We will wrap up there and come back with the fixed minback.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 1: Invite you to email the show with feedback or questions or comments. That email address is Wade Keller Podcast at PTW torch dot com. That's Wade Keller Podcast at PW torch dot com. Also welcome your feedback on Twitter. Even follow us on Twitter at pw Torch and follow me at the wade Keller. That's at PW Torch and at the Wave Keller.
Speaker 8: Searching for more great pro wrestling talk, then join me Jason Powell host them the three weekly Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast. Each week you'll hear the latest news and analysis from me and my team at Pro Wrestling dot need, along with other pro wrestling media members. Plus, the Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast features long form interviews with notable names in the pro wrestling industry. Subscribe and iTunes, Stitcher, Downcast, and all your favorite secondary apps, or visit us directly at PW boom dot com. Once again, that's PW boom dot com.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to our podcast. Did you know we also have a website pwtorch dot com. Daily news updates, editorials, and my live TV coverage covering Raw, Dynamite and SmackDown and my live pay per view coverage for WWE and AEW. Create a tab or bookmark make it a daily stop. Visit us throughout the day every day to keep up on breaking news and more. That's pwtorch dot com.
Speaker 5: Need an extra dose of positivity in your wrestling podcasts? Will come join me Alan ferel Over in the Progress Paradise at Pterboo Torch VIP as we mask on the bright side of wrestling and focus on some of the great matches and shows from around the world, be it the US, Japan, Europe or Mexico. There's always a place for wrestlings past in the Paradise too, and we've done fun historical shows such as the We Love Liger series celebrating the glorious career of Jusian Thunderliger and our eye was there when shows where our guests will join me to talk about a classic bout that they were in attendance for. We love variety and you can expect lots of it at the Progress Paradise. Detailed pwof Torch VIP subscription information and a list of all the VIP benefits is available at PWW torch vipinfo dot com. And yes, all VIP podcasts are compatible with popular podcast apps on iPhone and Android devices, or you can stream them directly from our ad free VIP mobile site.
Speaker 1: See You in the Paradise. One way that you can help us sustain our schedule of putting out podcasts throughout the week is by giving us a five star rating on Apple Podcasts. Just go to Apple Podcasts and look for our Weight Keller Prossing podcast and Weight Keller Prossing Post show and give us a five star rating. We hope you think we've earned that score with our fast turnaround times and our quantity and quality of wrestling analysis throughout the week. So take a moment out for us and do us favor and give us a five star rating and Apple Podcasts. That helps us on search returns and helps us grow. And if you want, you can add a few comments about what you like about the programs in the comments section. Thank you so much.
Speaker 11: In twenty twelve, NXT transitioned into the developmental system and ultimately the brand you see today. On the Torch Vip podcast NXT eight years Back, we'll be taking a weekly look at this page in NXT's early history.
Speaker 7: Join Kelly Wells and me Tom Stout from PWT Talks NXT every Saturday as we go eight years back to the day to track NXT's rising talents and why they did or didn't work out exclusively for PW torch Vip members.
Speaker 1: PW torch Vip membership doesn't just give you ad free access to these shows and a ton of other VIP exclusive podcasts throughout the week, but you also gain access to our unmatched vast library of wrestling history, our contemporaneous week to week coverage through our progressing Torch weekly newsletters dating back to the late nineteen eighties, along with streaming and download access to hundreds of retro radio shows from the nineteen nineties, including some of my interviews with wrestling's top newsmakers in the nineties, and also our podcast library dating back to the year two thousand and three. There's no larger, longer spanning pro wrestling podcast library than that that comes with a PW Torch VIP membership. Now approaching twenty years of podcasting, Go vip and dive into our post pay per view roundtables are covered to some of your favorite eras of wrestling, top name long form interviews and special format podcasts that we've done throughout the years. Toorch dot com slash go vi ip. We have a streamline sign up for me and you can pay with PayPal or directly with your credit card or debit card. In one or two minutes from right now, you can be a VIP member and diving into our library. Pw torch dot com, slash go VIP