Speaker 1: The time is almost upon us for sailing Fest twenty twenty four. I can't believe it's already here. You know, we've been talking about it on the show for such a long time now, a lot of preparation in the background, but the time is now and your Sailing Fest twenty twenty four coverage begins here. So to help me go through the schedule of Sailing Fest, I'm invited on my longtime friend, friends of the show and the author of The Twilight Zone hi Q, Chad Ellis Boykin. Chads, welcome back, man.
Speaker 2: It's great to be here. Tom, Thanks so much for having me on. This is really exciting. Now.
Speaker 1: When we last spoke, you were just publishing The Twilight Zone high Q. So how's it been now? The book is out, the audio book is how's it been for you?
Speaker 2: It's been really exciting. We've done some really cool things. We had a book launch event where I had an actual cellist do some musical accompaniment to some of the select poems and you know, sort of introduced the shows that they were based on for anybody in the audience that might not be familiar. We've had an art exhibit in Brooklyn. We've done multiple signings and readings. We've done some visual art pieces, and we've worked on some actual haiku comic panels with a collaboration with Weirdo Poetry. So we've done a lot of cool stuff. It's been well received and it's hard to believe it's almost a year. And of course, the the coolest thing is that I got the new Millennium Voice of the Twilight Zone to do the narration for the audiobook, so that makes it really special.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you man, thank you. It was a lot of fun to do that. Now that kind of leads quite nicely into our sailing Fest coverage because sailing Fest itself begins on Friday, the thirteenth of September, and we'll get onto the schedule in a moment, but there's actually a kind of pre sailing Fest thing going on, but I'll just run through my time in Binghamton for anyone out there, you know, who wants to kind of say hello or whatever. I'm actually going to be there from the Thursday now, probably not till late afternoon, early evening, but if there are any early birds about then do get in touch and I'll tell you a way to do that later on. You know, for the early sailing Fest gets together, so we'll be doing that. But then the next day, on the Friday, there's actually a pre sailing Fest thing going on, isn't there that you've organized.
Speaker 2: There is, And until you set it out loud, it didn't occur to me that it's a Friday the thirteenth. Yeah, so I think that's probably a good omen considering this. But yeah, we have put together a collaborative Rod Serling author discussion and book signing. I worked with Barnes and Noble in Vestal, New York. So they're at twenty four forty three Vestl Parkway East and they are hosting a two hour book signing discussion. And we've got some real heavy hitters. We've got Nicholas Parisi, president of the Rod Serling Memorial Foundation, who everyone's familiar with as one of the main organizers of Surling Fest. He's going to be there discussing his book, Rod Serling, his life, work and Imagination, which you know, back in twenty nineteen when we were both at the Surling Fest. It was my first one and the last one I've been to since his book had just come out, And so he'll be discussing his book. I'll be discussing the Twilight Zone Niku. We also have Christopher Benedict who's going to be doing a reading and discussion of the Twilight Rounds, which is all about Rod Serling's work related to boxing, and Coreyn Shadmy will be there to discuss The Twilight Man, which is that fantastic graphic novel. Again, I think that came out around twenty nineteen when we were at that Surling Fest. And then finally Tony Alborella Timeless is Infinity. He'll be discussing his works that collected all of the Rod Serling scripts for the Twilight Zone. So we've got a really nice event lined up for everybody. The idea, you know, people who are arriving early can come and do this extra bonus event, and folks who are in the bookshop and around the area might be sort of a gateway drug into Serling Fest if it's something that they don't know about yet, So it should be a lot of fun. It's going to be from two to four on September thirteenth, or just a couple hours before Sailing Fest starts in Earnest.
Speaker 1: Okay, and how far away from like the center of Binghamton.
Speaker 2: Is that I believe it's about eight miles so it's pretty close.
Speaker 1: Too far then, okay, no, that sounds like a great way to kick everything off and you know, get to see some of these writers and everything before the actual thing starts. So I think that's a great idea. So that's going to be two till four and then on the Friday night that's when the sailing fest begins. So I'll just run through the list of what's on. So at six pm we have Great the Evert for the People. So I think this Friday night is it's going to be all like shows and things that you actually sit and watch. It's not so much panels and so on. But at six pm Grade de Evert for the People. You ever seen that one?
Speaker 2: Chad? I haven't seen that one. So that's one of the things I love about this is getting to see things that are new to me that I haven't seen before.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So that's going to be introduced by Nick Parisi and that kicks off the celebrations. Then at six point thirty five, there's going to be two episodes of The Loner, and they are one of the Wounded and the home the Homecoming of Lemuel Stove. Now I don't recall one of the wounded, but I do know the Homecoming of Lemuel Stove is a very good episode of The Loner, and that's going to be introduced by Tony Alborella. And you've heard them on this podcast on that great Nightmare at twenty thousand Feet episode we did. So he's a really good guy, Tony, and I'm looking forward to check on those outs you watch much Loaner Chad.
Speaker 2: I've watched a couple of episodes, but i haven't seen the whole series. I've listened to a little bit. I think you've covered it a little bit on the show here and there.
Speaker 1: Over on Patreon. Yeah, yeah, Okay. So then seven forty five Night Gallery, the Caterpillar and the Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar, two of the most famous and well thought of episodes, and that's going to be introduced by Scott Skelton and Jim Benson, the co author of Rod Sailings, Night Gallery and After Hours Tour. So I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 2: That one absolutely. I've listened to your coverage on the Patreon show, and I'm really looking forward, especially to the tearing down of Tim Riley's Bar. I think the consensus is that's maybe one of the best Night Gallery episodes.
Speaker 1: So after that, to round the night off nine pm, we have, in praise of Pip and Deaths, had revisited a bit of a down for at the end of the night, boar what are you going to do? And they're introduced by and Sailing, So that's good, you know, always nice to round off the night with a couple of twilight zones.
Speaker 2: I guess absolutely. I expect I'll be weeping on the way back to the hotel.
Speaker 1: So that's going to finish around ten pm. Now what happens after that, I don't know, because I'm not going to be hitting the bars or I mean, i might go out just for a beer, but I've got to be on the stage the next day, so I'm not going out and getting drunk or anything like that. I'm going to have an easy night. But I might if there's a lot of people and they're going to go to a bar or something, then I might come out for a little bit, but I will be taking it easy that night.
Speaker 2: Probably a good plan. Well, we'll make sure to sneak some airplane bottles in for you on Saturday morning.
Speaker 1: So here yeah, yeah, okay, So Saturday is when you know the thing really kicks off into high gear. So ten am at the theater is it the Forum Theater in Binghamton, it's called I believe it is. Yeah, yeah, So ten am welcoming remarks and video tributes by Nick Parisi. So that's going to go on for half an hour. Then a tenth eighty Sailing unscripted with Tony Alborella. And on the website it says, through an array of interview clips, Rod Sailing exhibits his trademark wisdom and insight on topics such as race, politics, the Twilight Zone, writing and television. So there's nothing better than a Rod Sailing interview, is there where he's just dishing out wisdom like so effortlessly. So I like the sound of that.
Speaker 2: One absolutely, And it sounds like they've put sort of a collage together. So I'm really excited to see how they've curated that.
Speaker 1: Now this one eleven forty five, The Twilight rounds Christopher Benedict. Now I met Christopher at sailing Fest last time. Really good guy. Unfortunately I kind of missed his book so he wrote you mentioned it before, like a history of rod sailing and boxing, you know, because sailing he was a boxer at some point and you know, wrote several stories about boxing. I hope he's got some of his books for sale because I wouldn't mind picking one of those up. Have you managed to catch that I have?
Speaker 2: They are a little bit hard to find, so you have to reach out to him. He's actually gonna have some copies both at the at the Serling Fest event and at that Barnes and Noble signing, So he's he's going to have a stack and I'm going to be tabling and well, I think we're gonna split a table and he'll he'll be there and he'll have some on hand. So I've I've got a copy of it. It's really good because Serling there's the famous Serling boxing works that we're on the Twilight Zone, but he also has other works that Benedict has dug up, and Benedict is a real sort of notable boxing historian and scholar, and he's done a lot of incredible stuff.
Speaker 1: So it's it's a really a good piece, excellent. Well, I look forward to catching up with Chris again. And get me hands on that book. So twelve thirty Rock from the Twilight Zone from Gail flug longtime music journalist Gail Fluke discusses the many times that Rod Serling's most famous career crossed over into the dimension of rock and roll. Gail, I believe does a lot of the work on the newsletter from the Memorial Foundation, putting it together, making it look really professional and nice. And I think I met her last time. But yeah, she's a she's a great lady. So this sounds pretty interesting.
Speaker 2: It does. And if I remember from twenty nineteen, didn't they have sort of a music panel where they were talking about maybe the scoring of the show or oh okay, I kind of remember that, and I remember liking it a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, So another good one there for the morning, so that will set us up for the morning. And then at one point fifteen until two thirty, it's a lunch break. And then who's this clown? Who's on a two thirty?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Tom Elliott?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, this is the one point in the show where I thought, man, maybe they made a misstep here. I don't know what they were thinking with this one.
Speaker 1: I know, who let this guy in so, Tom Elliot, as host of the Twilight Zone podcast, dives deep into sailing history, presenting a fresh take on one of Rodd's earliest pieces of work. No Christmas this Year originally produced on Rod Sailing's Antioch College radio series. So I'll just expand on that a little bit. No Christmas this Year. Unfortunately, I don't think a recording of it exists anymore, but the script does exist, And because Rod Sailing was born on Christmas Day, it's one hundred years since as birth on this upcoming Christmas, I thought i'd, you know, tie all these things together. So while unfortunately No Christmas this Year you know, doesn't exist, the script does. And basically I sort of run through some of Rod Sailing's where can we see how? You know, the roots of it are in this kind of lost radio play that he made when he was a young man. So, you know, I've put a lot of work into it. I hope people like it, but it's it's so difficult to not get a tunnel vision on this and you lose all kind of perspective on it, you know. But I think I've put together something that people should enjoy anyway.
Speaker 2: Well, I think You've got an amazing track record to go on, and honestly, how do you get your hands on something like that? Like this is sort of an unpublished piece, right, Like, how do you make that happen?
Speaker 1: Well, one of the Rod Sailing Memorial Foundation gave me a copy of that script a while ago, and it was always a case of, well, what do I really do with it? You know, maybe I could try recreating some of the scenes or so none of that, unfortunately, because the main characters at a child and I can do some voices, but I'm not sure I can do that one. So you know, it's interesting and I will allude to the script quite often. It's it's just a shame that the piece doesn't exist anymore in the actual radio for you know, it's quite interesting anyway.
Speaker 2: That's exciting, And some of the most memorable Twilight Zone episodes right were you know, based set in winter and you had the some of the Christmas episodes, and so it looks like a really great starting point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely so, three forty five odes for episodes. Man, they'll let anyone into this thing. Two poets inspired by the Twilight Zone chat Boykin and Ricky Santa Okay, go on over to you, Chad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're stooping to anything this year to get something to happen. So I don't know if I'll have time to tell the backstory of this. But this came about. I got a message from you that, hey, congratulations, you're on the You're gonna be on the panel, and.
Speaker 1: It was news to me, and they've forgotten to tell you about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had done a live stream saying, hey, we've got this this new panel we're announcing, and he's like, there's a Twilight Zone poetry and it was unbeknownst to me. But in twenty twenty one and Ricky Saner. We've had a conversation since then. She's a very accomplished poet, award winning multiple books, teaches poetry, really a top notch poet. So I don't know what they're doing putting me with her because I'm a hack. But yeah, she did a book called Stopover in twenty twenty one, which was just a couple of years after the serling Fest we attended. You know, the serling Fest kind of kicked off the Twilight Zone haikup because you could put people together on a chat app to say Hey, if anybody is at loose ends you want to meet up with people who listen to the show, here's this app. And I remember it was such a memorable experience being there in twenty nineteen and the carousel and all the great events, meeting people. And so i'd been doing haiku for a while and actually there's a piece coming out in the Serling Memorial Fest newsletter that'll give a little bit more backstory about that. But I threw out a couple of Twilight Zone high coup on that chat app, and people sort of had fun with it and they were doing some of their own and that was sort of the birth of it, you know, around twenty nineteen, And of course took me a long time to finish the piece and put all the stuff together. But twenty twenty one, Santra had done a book called Stopover, and it's a different type of poetry. It's it's a really good book. I finished it recently, and so the idea is, hey, we're going to have these two. You know, when I did the twilets on coup I thought, well, there's been so much amazing work done on the Twilight Zone and research in Rod Serling's life and history and all of the amazing works that he did. You know, I thought, what's something that hasn't been done. Well, I bet nobody's done a poetry book, right for the Twilet Zone. Well I was wrong. Somebody had already done a wonderful poetry book. So again it's called Stopover, and the really interesting thing about it is the Twilight Zone. My coup is Jabra House Press. So if you're familiar with kind of related to boxing but pro wrestling, the term jobra is used to describe the person who loses the match. But really, if you're a fan of it, you know that they're doing a lot of the work, and in some cases most of the work, and they're making the winner look good. And what does a publisher do but they make their creators look good. That's their job. So Jaber House Press is sort of based in sort of the wrestling mythology, and the symbol is a luchador, which is like a Mexican wrestling mask with sort of a punk rock mohawk. Well, when I learned that there was you know, Stopover, and I got it. I looked at the back and who published this book? But the publisher is called Luchador Press and it's literally the logo is like El Santo from the famous Mexican wrestler who's in all the sci fi movies from the sixties. So I thought that was like my twilight Zone moment where it was like, I can't believe this is real. But it's gonna be an excellent panel. We're putting it together. And it's two different types of poetry. So Haiku is like Japanese short form poetry. She does more traditional poetry. So it should be really fun hopefully, And you know, the idea is that these sort of poetry books can be like a gateway drug where if you're a fan of poetry, you can maybe be exposed to the twilight Zone that everybody listening to this show knows and loves. And if you're a Twilight Zone fan, maybe it's the gateway into another world that maybe you're poetry and different types of poetry too. So yeah, hopefully we'll have a little bit of that. We're gonna have a little audio visual presentation and should be a lot of fun. Great.
Speaker 1: Have you have you had a dry run yet or anything or not quite yet?
Speaker 2: Oh of course not no. And you know, the worst part is we have to follow you, which means you know, everybody's going to be on this high from from from your presentation, and then you know it's it's it's gonna be a lot to follow. I don't know that they're really setting us up after you.
Speaker 1: Okay, well i'll tone things down. I won't be lower its onto the stage by cables, or I'll cancel the pirate technics, you know, I'll try and just just pull it down a little before you. So so next up four point eighty PM rod in Ohio, and that's with Mark Dewiziac. Now he wrote the book Everything I Learned I Learned in the Twilight Zone. But he is like a really my goodness, the things he's done. You know, he's like an expert on Colombo, he's an expert on Poe. He's an expert on Mark Twain. You know, he performs as Mark Twain. And he's just really such an interesting man with a really great way of speaking. And you know, he's a great storyteller. If you were sat around the table with him, he could, you know, just really regale you with stuff all night. And so that that should be pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I actually recently just picked up the Death and Life of Edgar Allan Poe. Unbeknownst to me, it was Dewiziac's book, so it was kind of fun and I haven't started it yet, but yeah, I think that's maybe they do know what they're doing, because they're putting him on after us, So you know, he'll he'll save the day. If everybody's ready to riot and throw things, he'll, he'll, he'll save it for us.
Speaker 1: That's a clean up the act. Now five point fifteen High Values, Highly Valued and Sailing Mark all Shaker and Mark Dewiziak. Mark Dewiziak joins An Sailing and Mark Olshaker to discuss Rod Sailing's well known social conscience and how it informs his life and work. Now we spoke about Mark Dewiziak. Obviously we all know Ann Sailing and her wonderful book. As I knew him Mark Allshaker, he was actually on the podcast. We've done a little interview with him at Sailing Fest in twenty nineteen. Again, just a really interesting guy. Was actually friends with Rod Sailing, so I'm sure he'll speak about that. So, yeah, another good panel.
Speaker 2: I think I'm really looking forward to that one. I mean, one of the things that really drew me in into this realm, you know, of Rod Sterling and the Twilight Zone was exactly that sort of morality and social conscience that Rod Sterling had in his day. Probably our day is no less fraught with some of the same problems that he dealt with head on. So I'm really looking forward to that one, Okay.
Speaker 1: And then at six point eighty pm and after I was tour, Scott Skelton and Jim Benson, the co authors of the Definitive Book on Rod Sailing's Night Gallery, provide a guided tour through Rod's Museum of the Macarb. I'm really looking forward to this one because that's an excellent book. And I know, these two guys, when you've got a million people talking about the Twilight Zone, they were kind of flying the flag for Night Gallery for.
Speaker 2: All these years.
Speaker 1: But again just both experienced in their fields, you know. And while maybe the hit rate in Night Gallery isn't as good as the Twilight Zone, there is some great stuff in there, and there's a lot of law surrounding it. And you could ask for two better people to be telling you about Night Gallery than these two guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it looks like the guided tour makes me think maybe they're going to have some nice visuals. And you know, the Night Gallery had all those amazing paintings and everything, so got high hopes for that one for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then seventh thirty raffle drawing and closing remarks and that is your Sailing Fest events. Now that's the Saturday. So that Saturday night I will be out in the bars, restaurants, whatever we end up doing. But that's going to probably be the big night out if you like, you know, so you're going to be along for that.
Speaker 2: Chad, absolutely good. Good.
Speaker 1: So then the thing is we can all take our hangovers to Recreation Park the next day because it's the unveiling of the statue and I think I think it's about twelve o'clock, but yeah, keep an eye on that. But man, it feels like this has been so long in the making and now it's finally here, and you know, there's the bricks that people bought and so on that it surrounds, and I'm so looking forward to seeing this statue.
Speaker 2: Man. Yeah, that's one of the real capstones. They don't have that as part of the official sort of schedule. I'd heard either eleven or twelve, so I'll keep an eye on that. But that's something I'm really looking forward to. They've put some images of the statue online and it's absolutely gorgeous and you know, what a fitting tribute. You know, It's so many statues are sort of questionable. You know, I don't know how it is on your side of the pond, but you know, this is something I don't think anybody's ever going to be compelled to pull down or challenge a statue of Rod Serling. I think this is something that's really well deserved and something that's going to be a real bright spot and probably a tourist attraction for Binghamton. I mean, this is really an amazing thing. It's been in the works for years. There were this multiple kickstart and like you said, the bricks they're going to be at the foundation. It's really going to be exciting.
Speaker 1: Just everyone together there because that, man, that's going to be some crowd, I imagine, because it's not just going to be the festival goers. It's going to be people who live in Binghamton as well, all kinds of people there. So I really cannot wait for that. And then that is that is the weekend really and then it's just a case of you know, whether people go home on the Sunday or the Monday. And yeah, I just you know, I really can't wait for it. I think the podcast turn out people who listen to the podcast is pretty staggering. The number of people who are going. I am you know, the fact that a lot of people who listen to this show have decided to go because of coverage that's been here and so on. I'm just completely humbled by that. And what I would say is this is probably going to be the last time I go to Sailing Fest. Now, I would never say never. There's a very possibility in the future that maybe I'll think, oh yeah, I could go back again, but the likelihood is this is going to be the one. And I think there's a certain poetry of the Twilight Zone. You know, I've got about twenty episodes left to cover it. It probably takes me like a year and a half to do it. But then I think there's a certain poetry and kind of ending here with rod sailing statue, it's like, great, you know, we did it. Not that I'm responsible for the statue, but you know what I mean, it's like it all kind of comes together. So if you are going, please do come over and say hello. You know, I want to meet you. Let me know who you are, and I would love to meet you, you know, because this is the only time this is probably going to happen and at this amazing event, I really do want you to come over and say hello.
Speaker 2: If you want, I'll tell them extra. I mean, I think that people are excited to see you, Tom, because in twenty nineteen that was sort of your first appearance. I remember walking up to the carousel and couple of people came up to me and they said, hey, are you Tom. I think I was wearing something really outlandish or garish, like a purple suit vest, suit jacket or something, and I really wanted to say yes, but I knew as soon as I opened my mouth it was going to be more than clear to even the most casual listener that I was not you. So I didn't try to fool anybody. But no, I think it is a big draw and people are gonna be excited to see you and have this. You know, you're doing the final season of the Twilight Zone on the show, and I think everybody is really looking forward to seeing you.
Speaker 1: So back in twenty nineteen, we had an app that we used to kind of keep in touch with each other when we were there. Now, sadly that app has gone away. Now it doesn't exist anymore. But I have set up a group on an app called Telegram. Now Telegram you can download it in your app store. It's free and if you want a link to join this group, then just email me Tom at the Twilight Zone podcast dot com and I will send you the invite link. Now, the thing is a lot of people go to Sailing Fest on their own, which you know I did in twenty nineteen, and you know, you don't necessarily know people, and it's like, oh, where are people going to be? You'll back me up on this chat that one of the best things about it is sure, the panels are good, and you know, watching the shows is good, but it's the moments between where you're mixing with other Twilight Zone fans and things like that. And I think if you are on your own and it's like, well, I want to kind of go where the people are, but I don't know where they are, then I will be put on where I am on the app or even independent of me. If you're at a loose end and it's like, hey, is anyone getting dinner tonight? Can I join you? I guarantee someone will say yeah, you know, and you will. You will find the group.
Speaker 2: If you like.
Speaker 1: So if you want a link to that, then just email me Tom at the Twilight Zone podcast dot com and I will send it to you. Now you can use the app without revealing your phone number two other people, so there's a level of privacy there as well. So send me a message and I will get that over to you or Chads. I mean, what was your experience like that last time with the people? If you like the people aspect of it.
Speaker 2: In a word, it was magic. It was like I was surrounded by strangers who I knew better than some of my own friends, and you know, you just you. It's a camaraderie. It's like you found your people, all your people are in one place, and uh, I think you were exactly right. It's it's those moments in between, and it's it's it's a They seem to keep this relatively small, you know, like this is limited to the Twilight Zone and to Rod Serling Fantom. It's not like San Diego Comic Con, where there's you know, a million people around and all of that. This is uh sort of like a really small group of friends, whether you know them or not. And I actually, you know, met people at the Curling Fest and twenty nineteen that I've kept in touch with over the years. So it's really one of the best parts of it.
Speaker 1: So it begins here. Next time I speak to you, it's probably going to be from there. Now. Obviously I can't broadcast live from the event, but I will be recording. I'll be talking to people and then when I get back, I will put something together so that Unfortunately, if you can't make Sailing Fest, then at least you can listen to the podcast and get a flavor of it. So I will be doing that. So Chad, I can't wait to see you. Man, can't wait to see you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, same here, and I'm looking forward to it. It's hard to believe it's only a few weeks away, and it's going to be a great time and I look forward to seeing everyone. And you've also got an Instagram thing right.
Speaker 1: Well, the main Twilight Zone podcast Instagram. There'll be stuff on there now. I did set one up as well for people on Patreon. So if you're a patron, then hit me up and I will send you the link to that one as well. But yeah, it's gonna be all over the place. There's gonna probably be a little bit on you know, Twitter. I don't really use Twitter that much anymore, but you know, maybe the occasional picture, but the Twilight Zone podcast. Instagram is probably the place to go, and you know, and things like that or other Patreon. I'll be putting a few things on there as well. So thanks for joining me, Chad. It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 2: Absolutely thanks for having me on. Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks and this is gonna be fantastic.
Speaker 1: I'll speak to you all on the other side.
Speaker 2: Bye for now.