Speaker 1: The following program is produced by the Tech Talk Radio Network. Hi, I'm Rick Darringer, Rock and Roll hoo Chiku, and you're listening to tech Talk Radio. Welcome to another episode of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm and I'm Justin Lemmey. We have the show that talks about computers, technology and the Internet. How you guys doing doing great? Thanks for joining us. Yeah, it's good. Everybody good.
Speaker 2: Everybody's you know, we're getting to the end of the semester, so I'm just counting the days.
Speaker 1: I loving it because in last week's show we heard how Sean was playing around with the wise bulbs. You're still having a good time with that?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I actually so.
Speaker 2: They came off of pre orders only, and I bought four more to fill out the rest of my basement with four more. I had bought four more to fill out the rest of my cam lights in the basement.
Speaker 1: So how many you have now? Seventeen twelve? Now, okay, I wasn't too far off. Can you control like a set of four or one? How do you control them with the app?
Speaker 3: In the app?
Speaker 2: In the app you can put them into groups, so like I have the ones that are directly behind me over my office, over my computer called my computer desk, right, and I can control just those those four. But then the rest I have on what I call the theater, which I can then control just those ones. I've written to wise already because I'm a little frustrated at some of the UI with the app. Based on how new the bulbs are and stuff. There are scenes you can build, So I can build a scene and I can like have this bullbi dimmed to fifty percent, but this bab seventy five different colors, and I can set up a mood. Essentially, you can't you can't make a rule within the app that says push this button to load this scene. I can load a color or a white balance, but I can't load a scene. So I have to go into the group, pick the group, pick the scene, because I want to be able to make two moods or one mood for both both scene groups down here. So I can hit the button and say go to this mood for the basement, and the basement will be in that mood. But right now I have to go to each group and do it individually.
Speaker 1: Wow, that would be a little confusing, I would think.
Speaker 3: Now I can do a white out.
Speaker 2: So I made one called whiteout, which sets it to the standard white balance that my basement is like, and I can hit white out.
Speaker 3: It doesn't because I can.
Speaker 2: I can pick and make rules based on the white colors, but I can't make a rule based on the scene. They look great and they're bright. They are very functional, and I've had no issues with them. They're super easy to set up. I can make scenes, like I said, I can make these scenes. I can build whatever colors I want and then load, save them, and load them. But I just can't use rules to make them happen. Like I can't say if I had a home assistant or Alexa, I could say, hey, Alexa, load Sean's gaming scene.
Speaker 3: It can't do that because there's no rule involved.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was about to say, why don't you get like home assistant or something? Yeah, that would do that. Yeah, you know. Hector sent us a note because he heard the show last week and he actually wanted to know why isn't Wise available in retail locations? Are they because they hasn't been able to find them?
Speaker 2: Well, there are some select home depots have WISE products.
Speaker 1: Oh really? Now, oh that's kind of cool all right the place, but they wouldn't think about getting smart tech would be home depot. Actually, yeah, they've been you know what, they've been pretty advanced. They've been pretty forward thinking in that stuff, especially with the home thermostats. But I have not been able to see I have not seen Wise technology anywhere in retail. And that's I think what That's what Hector was thinking about that you only had to go online to be able to get it. But if you can get it in retail, that's good.
Speaker 3: You can.
Speaker 2: I saw them at my local home depot here in northern Indiana, and on their website, I can't. I can get the Version three camera, the outdoor camera, the Version two, the pan, the pan and tilt one, the WISE plugs, the WISE light bulbs, not the color ones yet because they're not super available still at the WISE lock, the outdoor plug, the SPRINKLERK controller. I mean, it's all right there on their website.
Speaker 1: What about price? What about pricing though, because I'm wondering are they the same deal? Because what you get when you go online direct through why is it's pretty good.
Speaker 2: The Version three outdoor camera is thirty eight bucks on home Depot. It's about eight or nine bucks more.
Speaker 1: No, that's well, I mean home Depot, yeah, exactly, Home Deepo's got to make some money off it. Yeah, and then but the nice thing about that way is if you do have an issue with it, you could take it back to home Depot. You don't have to worry about shipping and sending it back in that way. So that's going to be that's gonna be real nice. You know. Actually, the verg you know you guys ever go to the Verge. They did a really good article because a lot of people, especially in the last year, let's face it, a lot of people have been ordered online. And you order online and sometimes you don't know what you're gonna get. Like you might go, Okay, I'm gonna go ahead, take a chance. I've seen this ad on Instagram. I'm gonna go ahead and buy this. And then you order and what you get sometimes either take it's way too long, sometimes it's not the right color, not the right product, or sometimes it never arrives. So the big question is what do you do when this happens. You're not always protected depending on who you've bought through, you know, PayPal. When you buy through PayPal, you can get a guarantee, somewhat of a guarantee, and again, how you pay for it when you buy something else, you know, you never want to use a debit card. Never, never, because you're gonna get protected that way. But Verge had a really good article about that which kind of played in well with a product that I there's been two products. So I bought a product. It was about two and a half months ago. I'm online, I'm on. I want to say it was Instagram. I saw it and it talked about this green screen that you can put on the back of your chair and it has the bel coast straps, it's around green screen. It's fifty six inches and I thought, wow, look at that. It's being advertised. You know, you look and you're thinking, that looks like a cool product. And I go. I clicked through and it's was thirty five dollars for this green screen. I know the price has been a little higher for those. Okay, So I ordered two. I'm gonna get two. I get one for the studio and one for my office. Right, and would you know, I finally got it. Now I will say it is well done construction, it's built well, it's got a great green fabric. It is huge. It fits to the back of the chair. But I only got one. I ordered two, So basically I paid sixty nine dollars for one. Well, the company is in China, of course, I didn't know that until I placed that order a company. See did you get it from Amazon? I didn't know. I went through a link and I ordered it directly and paid through PayPal. Okay, yeah, see that's that's a then of the reason why I never buy anything except reputable sellers unless I buy it from Amazon. And then when I do buy it from Amazon, it says shipped and fulfilled by Amazon. Yeah, otherwise you could be paying for something and then it's like, oh, six weeks later. Here it is a month and a half in where I had not received any information as far as this product. I emailed them and I never heard back from them. Suddenly one day I get this one, this one green screen in about now. It's well constructed. But then, so you figure I paid sixty nine bucks for it, I'm probably not going to get a second one. I know that nobody's going to follow through. I know that's going to be the case. You use your credit card to dispute it maybe I could. I don't know, but as you could. I went online to BH Photo, which if you've never been a BH photo video, some great stuff on. There's a company named Bescor. They make them fifty dollars, so they maybe they've fulfilled it from them and you know, made nineteen bucks out. I don't know, maybe, but I mean, seriously, if you pay with a credit card, contact a credit card company, file a dispute, that's the last you're going to hear of it, because what from there, they're going to go after the retailer, and if the retailer doesn't respond, well, then the credit card company just takes care of it, and no matter what, no matter what, you're going to get your sixty nine dollars back or thirty nine dollars or whatever you claim, you'll get that back immediately. But if the retailer comes back and tells the credit card company, hey, no, we sent this blah blah blah, then the credit card company will take back the refund that they gave you, and then you'll go into like arbitration. But normally, if it's something like that, those companies never respond and it doesn't matter because they still get their money. Who gets messed over is the credit card company. Yeah, because they have insurance on it, but they still pay you back yet they've already paid the merchant. The merchant gets their money, you don't get your product. The credit card company gets gets left holding the bag. Did you see this one on Facebook and Instagram a couple of weeks ago? It was ninety nine dollars from a company called by Best. I think that was it. I think it was by Best, and it was for a fifteen inch HP laptop brand new in the box. They had an overstock of him, so they were selling him for ninety nine dollars. You said it was called by Best. I think it was called by Best. I saw, I saw that it was very similar from from Zonoma. I didn't hear about that one. Emma, what is that? Oh it took me a second I thinking about it. He's like, what's that mean? Anyway? So it was for I mean, this is a full on laptop, you know, and it's a it's a double laptops. You fuller over use it as a tablat ninety right, said the edit overstock. Ah, I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I do not know I did. I did I wanted to see if this really if this is going to be some kind of a scam or some kind of a deal, and how this is going to work. I screencapped everything, took photos just just so this kind of an experiment on my part to throw away ninety nine bucks, but to see, really is this going to be fulfilled? And we'll see now what happens. But it doesn't come in if you ordered it with your credit card, yes, and it doesn't come in or it doesn't come in as expected. And it was another one a dispute. It was another one that directed through PayPal, so again so but still you used your credit card, right, So then in that case credit the credit card will go through PayPal as the paintent processor. PayPal will then go after you know, the merchant. But the worst case scenario what's going to happen is that in the future, anybody that tries to buy with that same credit card that you used with this same company, the purchase will get declined immediately, right because they're not willing to take any more chances as a credit card company. Well yeah, it makes sense, but still still was I was like, Okay, this has got to be some kind of a scam. I got to find out where this leads. So again a little investigative reporting there. Did you get anything back in terms of like shipping or no, it said we'll ship in twenty days, So that'll the twentieth day will be about right around the time you forget about it. I think that's what they're hoping for right the time. We've done some we've done some laboratory studies. It's about the twenty day mark when you forget what you purchased, especially if you purchase at like after ten pm right and then or been drinking yeah or yeah, well or both, you know. And then I was thinking, when you buy a technology like this, how do you know what you're getting inside that technology? Are you? Oh, you can accept this, but we're going to be tracking every single thing that you're chasing, visiting, et cetera. P much what all technology is nowadays? I mean, think about why things are so cheap, you know, smart TVs. Let's say they take smart TVs for instance, why do you think you can buy a four K seventy five inch TV for less than two thousand dollars. It's because they track everything you do with that television and sell it to advertisers. This is a proven fact. This is how they make their money on the back end is by tracking everything you do. Now, some people listening will go, oh, come on, that's ridiculous. How try how they get improve it? How are they going to be able to do it with every single person and to know what they're watching. I can prove it because when I got my smart TV, I also have and I've mentioned this on other podcasts, and yes, go ahead and queue up the laughter. But I have a pie hole right, Yes, it's a Raspberry Pie computer that runs a DNS forwarder. So everything that's on my home network I forward to the raspberry Pie first, and then if it's on its blacklist like things like ad tracking, cookies, malware viruses, whatever, it will deny my request to go to that website. It's actually shoving it into like a room. It's a black hole. Yeah, it's a black hole. Boo. I send it down to a black hole and then you never hear you never hear from it again. But I've been monitoring my pie hole for a while and I see all the different DNS requests that come through, and most of them are from my computer. But then the moment. The day that I hooked up my TV and I got it on my network, the DNS requests skyrocketed tenfold, Wow, ten times the amount of DNS requests. And when I looked into it, it was all of the Samsung partners, and it wasn't even just Samsung dot Com, you know whatever. They bought thousands of domains that are just made up of random letters and numbers, and they forward all of your statistics everything you do, from how long did you you spend on the home screen, which app did you choose, how long did you spend on that app? How many times did you skip the commercials? What were your volume settings? What channels did you watch on local television? Everything you do, they forward it onto these providers. Then they correlate this data. Now, whether or not it's personally identifiable, that remains to be seen. But they're tracking what you do, whether it be a herd or just a single user, they are tracking everything you do. So that's just one example. We've seen situations where people have said that, you know, with the home speakers in their homes, they will suddenly talk about needing to buy, you know, a new sofa, a new share and suddenly they're getting ants sped on their computers through Facebook or on the social media for those type of devices. This was This happened to me this last weekend, just Saturday. We were walking through neighborhood and my neighbor pulls up in a brand new Mercedes AMGS Class. I mean, I'm talking top of the line, probably a good one hundred and fifty thousand dollars car. Right, this thing is sweet. And I said to him, and I pulled my phone out and I got my camera open, and I said, dude, that is a nice Mercedes, and I took a picture of it. Not one hour later, I get one of those Google surveys, because I have the Google Survey program where you answer simple questions. You get like ten cents for every question you answer. I get an ad that says, are you interested in Mercedes Benz? What? Really? I said, no, thank you for that ten cents. But no, that's some scary thing is what tech is nowadays. All Right, So you know we were talking about PayPal. You guys had mentioned to me that Elon Musk that's how he made his money. He was the guy behind PayPal pretty much started that right yea out of PayPal and what else did he found? Well, all sorts of stuff. Yeah, he did a lot, but yeah, PayPal was where he initially made his billions. I remember millions. When we were in Palm Springs doing this show, his name started to you would start to hear his name and it would always be associated with something in the you know, Linux world, you know, something along that line. It was something big and grandiose that he was doing. And now you know, he's made a statement this past week that had a lot of people going, wait, wait, wait, what do you say it? Because you know they've been talking about space travel, they've been you know, they've we've seen this incredible success with the launch. Did you guys see John Kraus's photos this past Yes, well, amazing photos of the Crew two launch. I've got a buddy that lives in Orlando, thirty miles from the launch site. He got up at five am or or whatever to watch it and he got to see the rockets come down. He took pictures from his back patio of the rockets launching and then coming back down and thoy were just spectacular. Well, John did some great photos on that. But either way, you know, it was an Elon Musk thing with Crew two going up there in the whole bit. And he made a statement though about space travel because everybody's thinking, Oh, I want to go to the Moon, They're already talking about that. I want to go into orbit. I want to go to Mars. But his comments but Mars have kind of changed the way people are thinking. Yeah, according, I'm looking at this right now. According to Popular Mechanics dot com, they quoted him, yeah, he says, he says here, going to Mars reads a lot like that ad for Shackleton going to the Antarctic. You know, it's dangerous, it's uncomfortable, it's a long journey. You might not come back alive, but it's a glorious adventure and it will be an amazing experience. You probably won't have any food or good food. If an arduous and dangerous journey where you might not come back alive, but it's a glorious adventure sounds appealing. Mars is that place. That's the ad. That's the ad for Mars. Honestly, a bunch of people will probably die in the beginning. It's tough sledding over there. We're not gonna make everyone go it's volunteers only. That's his exact quote. Does that make you guys still want to go? Uh? I'm good, I'm good. I'll let Elon go first. Yeah, Sean, what do you think.
Speaker 3: I would probably still go?
Speaker 1: Really even with a premise of death. Well, you mean, we all got to die at some point, but still why accelerate it though if we don't have to? But but then there's that also, that chance that you might be the first person to ever walk on Mars on Mars, Yeah, exactly, there you go. Yeah, they'll name a crater after you. That's what I was in life, a crater named Maby.
Speaker 3: I'll become a.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so you're becoming your own crater. And if you look out your left window, you'll see the Shonda Weird Crater. Well that's glorious. I wanted to show you something that I picked up this past week. Now. Buddy of mine, Buzz, who works in radio here in Tucson, had told me about this, and I thought, you gotta be kidnaped. It's a transistor radio, right, it's the ritechis V one point fifteen. It has an antenna on it. It's an AMFM radio U and so you think, okay, Well, with this day and age of smart speakers where we can just pull up, tune in and we can listen to our favorite station, our local station, or even a station out of town. You know, Sean's into getting into shortwave radio, which is cool. This also has shortwave capabilities on it for listening. It comes with the headphone jacket, comes to the microphone jack. So with that microphone jack and an SD it's got an SD slot on there. A micro SD you can record audio if you wanted to, Like just you suddenly have something you want to you want to mention and record, you can do that with this. Can you record what's coming over the airwaves? Yes, So if you have a favorite radio station or a favorite show or a song, you suddenly, oh that's the song I want you hit record it'll work. Record it onto the SD card, which is super cool, and that way you can go back and listen to it. You could take that as that micro SD card out, put it into a reader and copy it to your PC. Now, it only records up to one hundred and twenty eight, so you don't get three twenty out of it. But you know which is CD quality. But the quality is still good. And also what I love about this and I'll show you guys, is it has a rechargeable battery, so wow, you don't have to go out and buy you know, triple A batteries. Well can you use triple as though? Like can you use real batteries in it? Like if you're out in like the mountains or whatever. No, it's rechargeable. It's one one thousand mili am battery. Okay, so you're going to get some good life with that. And the quality of the speaker is not too bad. But that's what I love about it is you have the ability to record your favorite radio stations, your favorite radio shows, your songs. I remember doing that as a kid, you know, hit and play record. One of my favorite songs would play in the radio and I would get angry because the DJ would TALKO, yep, something's there. And now you're a DJ DJ and I do that. But we're tack us now. When it first came out, it was seventeen bucks for this. It's got a nice carrying handle, the whole bit. But the popularity of this has gone up and now they're about twenty five bucks on Amazon and not too bad. Yeah, not too bad at all. And again the sound quality is pretty good. The control's a little difficult to figure out, but you will on how to delete a file and you know how to change stations. But the quality is really good. So I like it cool, Yeah for that price.
Speaker 3: So Andy, you brought that up.
Speaker 2: I've actually been studying to get my Amazon radio license.
Speaker 1: Now. Is that a difficult process?
Speaker 3: Really, it's not as difficult as you would think. You can go to the A the Amateur Radio Relay.
Speaker 2: League al dot org and you can get some study materials and stuff. It's a lot of basic electronics and some radio theory and some safety and.
Speaker 3: FCC guidelines stuff. But so far it's not that difficult.
Speaker 2: But what you can do with the base level entry, it's called the technicians level the your amateur radio license is it gives you access to some of the u HF and vhf frequencies that you can transmit and receive on.
Speaker 3: Now anybody can listen.
Speaker 2: That's That's a big thing they like to tell you, is like there's nothing stopping you from buying a radio and listen. Right, So, the amateur radios of something that I've always wanted to do. I have a boofang u V five R transceiver that they call them handy talkies. It's and I just had some fun with it. I followed a couple of tutorials online. There's some really great uh HAM radio tutorials online YouTube channels that are really really great.
Speaker 1: What do you broadcast? If you're using shortwave short wave?
Speaker 2: There's difference, right, shortwave you have you have short the short wave band, you have the VHF bands, you have the UHF bands, and those are the main three that are amateur radio. I'm not super familiar with all of the terminology in that yet.
Speaker 3: I'm getting there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but with the radio that I have, I'll be able to do the VHF and the UHF bands.
Speaker 1: Now is it expensive to get into the radio that I have?
Speaker 3: Is thirty bucks on Amazon.
Speaker 1: Oh that's not bad. That's not bad at all.
Speaker 2: Now, granted they are the bottom of the barrel radios. Now Bowfay's not a non name company. They're very popular. But they're Chinese based.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The restrictions and the sensitivities of the radio and the frequencies in China are much different than they are here in the US. It's not as expensive as you think to get into it, especially.
Speaker 3: If you just want if you see, if you just want to listen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if our listener don't want to get involved in something like that, they want probably want to check out their local radio amateur radio club. I'm sure they have one here in Green Valley as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So there are a couple of websites I can tell you.
Speaker 2: There's one called Radio Repeater Book, which will give you all the repeaters in your area, which is how you can listen to things further away. VHF and UHF don't go the signals don't go very far. Yeah, they go a couple of miles and that's it. But they have repeaters that will pick up your frequency rebroadcast it on a offset that you listen to, so you're transmitting on one frequency but listening on another, and then it can get carried on further, further and further by other repeaters. I have been listening here at home and have picked up people in South Texas, Arizona.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. Nice.
Speaker 2: Based on based on the number of repeaters they're hitting, there are challenges and there are contests based on how far away you can get context from the number of contexts you get in a short period of time that type of stuff.
Speaker 1: When you're listening to this stuff, are you scanning like multiple frequencies or are you dialed into like one particular frequency or what?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so if you go to repeater book.
Speaker 1: What about WebSDR dot org you.
Speaker 2: Can go to that too. Radio Reference is the other one I was looking for. Okay, so Radio Reference will give me. It gives me all of the registered licensed radio stations in my areas. I went through and there is a program called Chirp. It's a radio programming software. I paid for a license on Radio Reference. I paid five ninety nine for a monthly license in I poured all that into this CHIRP programmed into my radio.
Speaker 1: Well, it sounds pretty cool. We'll put us on the links up available on our blog and our website. We do have to take a quick break. Brand new product coming out for your for your tablet, if you got yourself a Samsung tablet. I know Justin's gonna be into this one. We'll be back with more of tech talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean Weird, and I'm Justin. Let me find us on the web at tech talk radio dot com. We'll be right back and now back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to tech talk Radio.
Speaker 1: I'm Seon Weird, I'm Andy Taylor, and I'm Justin Lemme. All right, so I know we know that Justin got himself a brand new Samsung tablet a prize our listeners at which one you purchase the Galaxy Tabt top of the line. How you feeling with it? You only had it for a couple of weeks out right, I love it. It's great. I love it, absolutely love it. Now we were talking, we were talking about the fact you wanted to get a keyboard for it. Samsung's announced this past week the Samsung Smart Keyboard Trio five hundred. Uh. It's a smart keyboard for use with your smart phones or your tablets. Some people have said, wait a minute, you can use a keyboard with your smartphones. Why would you do that? If you think about it, with the size that our smartphones are now, it's actually would be better if you had a little keyboard sitting in front of your smartphone. Sure. I do like the Logitech K four eighty. And if you're looking for a keyboard that is a multi device Bluetooth wireless keyboard which gives you the ability to pair up to three different devices and then I mean pretty much you could switch between them. That's that makes it pretty nice. And the K four eighty isn't that expensive. Generally around thirty five to forty bucks, you're going to be able to find it. But I really do like the K four eighty and the other. The other really nice thing about this keyboard too, the K four eighty is that it has a groove at the top of it, so if you've got you know, whether it's a Galaxy device or an iPhone, you just put it right there in the groove, so it's right in front of you. So you're typing and typing with a like a regular keyboard, but the Bluetooth is banking that connection. But I like that little groove on top of it too. But this this one from Samsung does pretty much the same thing. It connects via Bluetooth and you can connect up to three devices at the same time, and with an easy click, you'll be able to switch back and forth between those devices. Now, some laptops have Bluetooth capability, I know my Lenovo does, so you can actually connect a keyboard instead of using the on board keyboard. So you're more mobile with it, so you can put your keyboard back a little, your your laptop back a little, and you can put this on your your lap and type as you want to. You're looking for a keyboard, and this will work with any device as Bluetooth capable, whether you know, whichever tablet you have, doesn't have to be a Samsung tablet. Just a kind of a nice way to bring tech to your devices. Yeah, absolutely, are you you're thinking about gaining one, aren't you? Ah, well, you know I was. But the tablet keyboard cover is like one hundred and fifty bucks at best, and it's normally one hundred and ninety nine. And I honestly really don't use the tablet for the keyboard functions, Like I've got a laptop. If I need a laptop, I'll use a laptop. I just want the tablet to be a tablet. So I'm kind of kind of shining away from it now, you know, I'm kind of I'm surprised because do you remember when I bought the Leap how fifteen inch external monitor, and I mean, I love it. I use it every day. I plug it plugs via Hdmi into my laptop and I've got a second monitor that I can use. I paid one hundred and fifty nine dollars for it, you know, I got it through Amazon, the company's leapout, but it came with you know that same cover you're talking about. It's magnetic. It helds it back and then it kind of fits into a nice little groove.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: So you've got to stay I got that free with it, and they're charging one hundred Samsum's charging that much for it. It was uh seventy nine. I think this is crazy. Yeah, that's it isy And honestly, I really don't like this particular case all that much because I do find if I'm if I'm using like one hand to try to open up the whole you know, tablet, a lot of times the tablet will slip off the magnetic back, and then I'm like scrambling to you know, put my drink down or whatever I have to so I don't drop my thousand dollars tablet on the floor. I just pictured Dean Martin with his cocktail. Yeah that's pretty much it. Yeah, pretty much it. But yeah, so I mean it's a it's a decent case, but I kind of would rather have like the wrap around case. Yeah, I'll give you that. The wrap around cases are much nicer and they're a little easier to uh to kind of use with the with the tablet, that would be, uh, that would be a lot nicer. Yeah, but you're pretty you're you're happy with that. I am happy with the tablet absolutely. I think it's one of the greatest ones. I mean, honestly, my opinion rivals the iPad Pro. Well, you know, speaking of that, Sean, you had some info on some some stuff from Apple that was announced.
Speaker 2: So last a week, about a week ago, Apple announced a couple of new products. They announced the new iMac, the new iPad Pro, and the new iPad keyboard.
Speaker 1: Oh, don't forget, don't forget the air tracker.
Speaker 2: Also, they in tune the air trackers, which surprisingly were relatively inexpensive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thirty dollars. Thirty dollars when you think about it, that's where you're going to pay for the tile device. And I know it's actually called the air tag, so I want to at least give it the right name. But it's supposed to be from what I understand, the size of a junior Mint. I mean, that's how small they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're not very big.
Speaker 2: They're not very big, and you can get a set of four for relatively inexpensive. I will probably get some just to play around with them.
Speaker 1: What about the battery life though, because I mean you think about it, the smaller they get, the smaller the battery is, which means the less life they have before you have to replace the battery. If you remember the tiles, when those first came out, they didn't have a replaceable battery, so you had about a year, so you would buy a tile for a year and then that is it. I remember one year we got the kids, we got them all tile devices and they're cool, you know, put them on your your keychain ring and everything. But the battery after a year was dead. That was it. Was it. I remember that the following year we didn't get them more tiles, and they were kind of disappointed. It's like, hey, we thought we were going to replace our tile. Now they do have replaceable batteries and the price went up just a little bit, but either way, it's still I don't know if you're gonna be able to replace the battery in this or if it's going to be chargeable. Maybe throwing them throwing them onto a magnetic charger like you you know, like you have with your your iPhones. Okay, that might be nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's they're twenty nine bucks. You can buy them. You can buy them already apparently.
Speaker 1: But Sean, do you have any info on the specs on the air tags? Like, do they are they rechargeable? How does how does the battery work on this device?
Speaker 3: It runs off a CR twenty two coin cell battery.
Speaker 1: Oh cool? Oh so you will be able to change them out? Yeah, twenty thirty two. Yeah, okay, those like here basically here in eight batteries. Yeah, but no, no, no, no, nope, no, no.
Speaker 3: There are CPU bios batteries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, larger than okay, so that's larger than a size of a junior man. Oh okay, well I'm not sure if there's such a thing, but sure, you know, yeah, that's pretty cool. Now, these are going to use the the Imax are using the M one process or not? They're not going Intel in this one right?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 2: This is this is there is no Intel option for these the new Imax and they are offering two different versions from just from their Apple dot com website. They're offering two different versions of them one chip, one with seven cores and one with eight cores. So whatever the differences between those two, I don't know. I haven't done that much research into the M one chips. However, I have had friends tell me that the difference between the Intel processors and the M one scissors. The user experience is significantly increased in terms of functionality and optimization for the mac os infrastructure and architect architecture.
Speaker 1: That's with the M one, so a better the ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had a friend of mine who had bought a iMac with the latest I seven generation and then they announced the M ones for cheaper. He went back to Apple said I want to trade this in for the cheaper one. They traded him, gave him the money back, He got the cheaper one of the M one, and he is way happier with the M one than he was with the Intel, just based on his experience with load times and user experience and stuff like that. So I've heard great things. I don't know more than outside of just some friends that have told me some stuff, but so far it's been so good.
Speaker 1: Now, when when it comes to the actual iPads that they've announced, I know that they're gonna have a twelve what a twelve and a half inch iPad or twelve twelve point one inch I pad. The colors are what everybody's been really happy about because you're gonna be able to get a variance of colors. Rather than that traditional black or steel, gray or white, You're gonna be able to go with different ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the the Imax, you can get it looks like seven different colors on the Imax.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can get blue, green, pink, silver, yellow, orange, purple.
Speaker 1: And that is so worth the extra thousand dollars. He is not an Apple fanboy, that's for sure. I mean, seriously, this is what they do. They release things in various colors, and they charge a premium for it. Like seriously, now, what about I don't.
Speaker 2: Think it's gonna cost you any different to get. Well, So for twelve ninety nine, you can get four colors, right, blue, green, pink, or silver.
Speaker 1: Twelve ninety nine, yep, twelve, okay.
Speaker 3: Then they have a fourteen option and a sixteen ninety nine option.
Speaker 2: Okay, options, you get three more color options.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See, you pay a premium for the other color options for twelve ninety nine I can build a computer. It's a PC that would blow away that iMac. Yeah, well yeah, pretty much. You're not wrong, but that's not wrong, but you just I'm just saying a lot of a lot of Apple Mac users will stable Apple Apple Mac forever. I mean honestly, my first computer was an Apple two E with a Z eighty card and I loved it. It was great. But once I started, you know, playing around with the Windows and an actual PC, we had a Cyrix processor in it, you know, kind of stuck with that.
Speaker 2: The thing that really kind of irked me when I when they announced the new Imax no USB A ports.
Speaker 1: None see they and they say they're doing it and what for recycling efforts or there's no reason. They kind of did the same thing when they put out the new iPhones where you didn't get a charger for it. You wanted a charger, you could use your old one or you would replace it, and you know, it just it kind of irked a lot of people. So what are they doing with this?
Speaker 2: There are two USB C USB three ports right, so they're USBC rated for USB three speeds and then two Thunderbolt USB C rated for USB four speeds.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's it.
Speaker 1: That's all you can.
Speaker 3: You have to buy a USB bridge or USB hub, and now on my MacBook, I don't have those.
Speaker 2: I have to use the hub Twitter and I can't run more than two hard drives off of one one hub.
Speaker 3: So it's frustrating.
Speaker 2: When I want to run more than two drives, I have to buy more than one USB adapter.
Speaker 3: It's it's silly, but.
Speaker 1: Well, let's to be fair though, the PC world has done this as well. I mean I worked on a Dell OptiPlex over the week and they're on the power supply. There's only two power connectors. That's it. So you can run a hard drive, you can run a DVD drive, I mean, that's it, or two hard drives and one of them died. To get the replacement power suppot, you got to go through Dell because it's proprietary and the way connects to the board, which is you know, the Dell system. It just just the way that even even PC manufacturers have done it. If you go back to IBM when they were doing their PCs, all of them did some kind of proprietary We got to take another quick break. Actually, this has been a big subject for Justin this past week wanting to make an upgrade and trying to decide, now which way does he go? Sean, you might be able to help out on this side. I know I talked with him about it too, and I was just as lost. So we'll take a break, come back with more of tech Talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Seandward, and I'm Justin. Let me find us on Facebook, Facebook dot com for slash tech Talkers. Will be right back and now fact to tech talk Radio. Recently, well not recently. You guys know, I have a secret Lab chair, ye, and it's a great, great gaming chair. They're a little bit more expensive. They're bub about about three three and three fifty or so. But I treat my chair with respect and I've noticed that I do. Actually yeah, but I noticed that one of the left arm rest, on the inside of the arm rest, the material is starting to split. The rubber around it is starting to split like it's been compressed, maybe just you know, putting weight on it or whatever, but it's it's splitting. So I contacted how long have you had that? About a year? Actually a little over a year, because it was is basically April of twenty twenty when I bought it, right, so, yeah, so it's been a year. Yeah. So I contacted Secret Labs and I said, hey, this is my sitch. I took a picture of it. I sent it to him. They came back and said, look, I'm sorry, this is actually not under warranty because it's normal wear and tear. However, however, we want to we want to make sure you're taken care of. So send me your address and I'll send you a new uh basically a new a new uh armrest. Oh cool. Yeah, so that's that's awesome. I mean, even though it's not covered under their standard warranty, sometimes they will actually help you out. Sorry, that's a big shout out to Secret Labs. You know, they've done a great job. It's a great chair. If you guys are looking for a new chair, I highly recommend checking out Secret Labs. Really really good products. That's good customer service and you know that's absolutely sells honest.
Speaker 2: And I believe Amanda bought her husband the World of Warcraft one.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, oh wow. They make they do make. They do make a lot of like custom ones too. You can put your you can even pay a lot extra and have your own logo put into the back of the chair, leather stitched. Oh that wouldn't that be great tech talk radio chairs? That would if you're willing to spend five six hundred dollars, I would love that. Right now, one of the chairs that I've got, I'm beginning to feel it. Either that or I'm getting heavier, but I'm beginning to feel it a little more in the seat. And what people have told me about Secret Labs is that they're just all out comfortable. And just to hear that customer service, that's, uh, that's really cool to hear. I like that. This past week, we you and I had a discussion on the phone justin You're yeah, you're in that that you want to upgrade. You've decided where you will go. But now it's a matter of okay, that big question AMD versus Intel. Well, yeah, I mean here's the situation. I just upgraded my computer probably eight months ago, right, but I went from an I seven sixty seven hundred to an I seven eighty seven hundred or eighty seven seventy to be exact, not realizing that even then at that time last year, the eighty seven hundred was way out of date. You know, they're they're already releasing the Intel eleven thousand series. So I'm three generations behind already, And so I'm thinking, gosh, you know, and I got that extra bitcoin money. I'm thinking, well, I want to upgrade. But you're right, like, what do I do? Like, I've heard a lot recently about AMD, and the AMD processors are just just right on the heels of Intel, if not better in certain categories, and their price point is cheaper than Intel. With Intel, you're you're kind of paying for the name. So I started thinking, like, do I really want to go and upgrade? First? Up, I really need to upgrade. The whole situation is I can't play flight simulator with VR. Like everybody talks about how great VR is, and but they're all running you know, the ten thousand or eleven thousand series of Intels, or the Risin nine or the Risin sevens, and I'm sitting here running an eighty seven hundred or eighty seven to seventy. I just can't keep up. So part that problem, though, my friend, is you're also you have to look at the other bottlenecks that are within your system, and everybody runs into a bottleneck, whether it's the the data transfer system, the cooling system, you know it. Well, the speed of your memory all adds up. Well, I've got DDR four thirty two hundred thirty two thousand, so my memories is definitely good on that. I got sixteen gigs of it, So that's you know, suffice. I've got a water cooling system on the CPU, brand new dual dual fan on the CPU, so I don't think cooling is a problem. I don't think rams a problem. Power I don't believe is an issue either because I never have it shut off, so my power supply is okay. I think it's being bottlenecked by the motherboard and the processor. I know it's not the graphics card because I see people that are running a eleven thousand series with a ten series rtr gt X. I have an RTX twenty eighty TI that's a good WAG card, which is a great card. And these guys are telling me they're running a ten seventy and making this no problem. So why am I not able to do it? But again my question goes, do I go a MD or do I go Intel Man? That's you know, that's like telling somebody, Well, I don't know which car to get, you know, I get this accurate, or do I get I go for Chevy. Yeah, you know, it's and it's really kind of unfair because Intel has been around for a long time. I love Intel. I for a time, I started out with a m D processors, but I think they they tend to make a MD seem like a second rate, like a second rate, and it's not. I think that's a marketing tactic by Intel because the thing, let's be fair, let's be fair too, or by users that swear and live and die by Intel, And let's face it, it's marketing. Where marketing works. If you you see ads featuring Intel, you see uh, you know alienware features the Intel processor. You know they they're doing a marketing plan with that. You rarely see a m D advertising systems with the a m D processor. Is that what it's gonna take or do they just say no, we'll target those that are using a MD and that's gonna work. Well, sure, it's the exact same thing with Ford and Chevy. You know, you got your Ford guys, you got your Chevy guys, and they're gonna they're gonna go to bat and they're gonna fight to the death over which one's better. But AMD has been making some amazing progress over the last couple of years and Intel has kind of been staggering a little bit. They're not coming out with the greatest of things, so this gives AMD a chance to catch up. And from all I can tell, the riz In nine processor is better than the eleven thousand series I nines. Well, we heard a lot about it for gaming, for gaming, for gaming because the more clock cycles the whole bit, the more cores, the more clock cycles everything. And then to compare Nvidia against AMD Radion, right the new Radion cards are really looking good too, and they're a little bit easier to find than the the the RTX thirty eighties, thirty seventies, thirty nineties, whatever you have, because right now everybody's buying his graphics cards for for for crypto mining bitcoin. Also, there's a big semiconductor shortage, so the prices are going up for everything, motherboards, CPUs, RAM because there's a semiconductor storage. Sean, what do you.
Speaker 2: Run depends I need to really, I am way way way behind on upgrading.
Speaker 1: Mind okay, never mind me Andy, So no, I'm like joking, I'm like shying. I built I built MYSM. I built my system in twenty fifteen, ok so, and I haven't done any updates since then.
Speaker 3: So mine is kind of a Franken Frankenstein build.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 3: So when when I bought Justin's ten to seventy from him a year and a half ago, yeah, I had.
Speaker 2: I had to upgrade my case because my case was too small, didn't fit, so I graded the case. Well, then I started looking at I had a couple other machines that I had salvage. One of them had a better motherboard at it, so I moved with the motherboard in it had an I seven in it. Right now I'm running don't laugh at me. I'm running an Intel Core I seven thirty seven.
Speaker 1: Seventy really a thirty so wow, okay, but you're able to do what you need to do, right.
Speaker 2: I have no issues with it. I'm able to play flight simulator at medium weddings.
Speaker 3: Do you know all my games?
Speaker 1: Do you know what socket that that that thirty that three thousand stores run fifty one eleven eleven, fifty five fifty five. Okay, if I do end up upgrading, I'll sell you my processor that I just bought six months ago. If you want it, and hey, why not, I'll throw them motherboard deal. You're gonna you're gonna say money there.
Speaker 2: I just want to I just want to shout out about there's a great program that I run called.
Speaker 1: Cpu I d oh love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And this is their CPU Z version and I have the hardware version too.
Speaker 3: But this if you're if.
Speaker 2: You are looking to find a processor that works for your motherboard or RAM that works downloaded from the CPUID website. It'll give you all the information you need to go online and get what you need to work with your machine.
Speaker 1: I have. I have another one that I like to mention. It's goes right along with CPU ID. It's called IDA sixty four AI DA sixty four. I bought the extreme license, so I think it was a one time fee of fifty nine dollars. But it takes CPUID, which is free, and CPID, don't get me wrong, gives you a lot of good information. IDA sixty four takes that to an extreme, and that's why they call it IDA sixty four Extreme. I think it's like fifty nine dollars for the license, but it gives you every detail about your PC. All right, so big question for you justin though, depending on it saves Hey you go with Intel, okay, manufacture motherboard which ones will use? ASRock ASRock as right now? So now ASRock is, from what I understand, a part of asues right, Yeah, it's an it's kind of like a subsidiary. Yeah. I guess the best way probably to explain it is ASRock itself is a standalone company, right, and they kind of spun off into a big group. They're part of a big group which a SUS is also a part of. So I guess that's how you could kind of put it all together. Now ASRock is as ro O c K, and then a SEUs is as US. Now, while a SEUs makes laptops and believe desktops two, they also for years have been making motherboards, great motherboards that I've used in builds that I've done over the years. Why why not stick with a SEUs? I think ASRock is more designed for gamers. I think a SEUs was kind of just trying to be kind of the overall overarching brand, whereas ASRock was kind of like their gaming division. I believe I could be wrong, right, but I think that ASRock was, Yeah, Republic of Gamers, that's their their gaming division. Okay, because I'm thinking I've got a one seventy A, and I know I was thinking about upgrading, and when it came to motherboards, I was looking at the four nine, which is uh yeah, and that has you know, it has the info for me to be able to run the M two's and you know, and do it that way. But then again I was thinking, okay, ROG has a board out that's supposed to be also very good, and would going to a gamer board for some of you does graphics and desktop and video, would that be a better way to go. Well, I mean, I guess if you're trying to utilize for your whatever you're doing with video and graphics, I guess if you're using the video card for your graphics processing or audio processing, sure, yeah, getting getting a gamer board because I believe it has something to do with the front side bus, right that increases the speeds along that and that's where the graphics card sits. So yeah, I mean, if you're using that for that and you can get the benefit, I'd say go with a gamer board, all right. So to be fair too, uh and you know, we're talking about as Rock and of course as Who's. There are other manufacturers of mother boards out there that all have some great benefits, so just want to give them a mention. Uh, you've got Gigabyte. Gigabyte's been around for a while. You've also got MSI which is a pretty good sturdy board. You got Intel boards as well, So again, just a couple of other manufacturers too, and you can look these all up and you know, find out which one is going to work the best for you. Now, before we go to break what I certainly mentioned Have I Been pooned? If you have not checked out that website yet, it's have I Been pwn d. You know, there's been a new report of some harvesting of email addresses, and it's a good way to find out if you're on these lists which could fall into the hands of people that want to try and scam and do all that stuff. So make sure you check out have I Been Pawned? That's p w n ed and see if your email addresses in there. It's you know, it's safe to look that up. You're not going to run into any problems that way. We're going to take another quick break we'll be back with a wrap up of tech talk Radio. I'm Andy Taylor, I'm Sean de Weird, and I'm justin. Let me send us a tweet at tech talk Radio. We'll be right back and now fact to tech talk Radio. Hi, this is Barbo. You're listening to tech talk Radio and you're gonna learn a lot. So, you know, with spring cleaning being here, the question has come up, how do you clean your PC? Oh? Easy, I mean they don't fit too well in the dishwasher. I was just gonna say, take a big tub of water and just dunk it in there. You don't want to do you guys?
Speaker 3: You guys clean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, see, you know you don't want to take it out back and hose it down. But especially if you have a pressure washer, yeah, if you if you don't do anything that we're recommending right there, Tech talk Radio is not responsible for what you do to your PC. But listen, if you have a dog, you have you have cats, you have a beard, you live with somebody that was formerly in zz top, you want to think about cleaning your PC. And you know it's it's not that difficult to do, but it is something that you should do now, whether you take it into you know, whether you carry it in somewhere where they're going to it out for you, or you want to try doing it yourself. There are some things you don't want to do. Somebody once told me that they hit their their PC with the wet drive AC and they would go ahead and use the vacuum to get all the dust out of the computer. Yeah. Yeah, yeah, not good. The thing you electricity, uh huh, number one static. But also you got jumpers that are fit over little connectors that are inside on your motherboard, and you can actually use the vacuum to pull those off and stop your computer from working, and then trying to track them down as to what they do with that. I mean, they're small, little plastic connectors. That is one reason to certainly not use a wet drive VAC inside your computer. The other thing is some people say, well, I just shoot it with the compressed air, which you know, some people say it's good. The problem is if you hit a fan that spins with compressed air and you're causing it to spin, you can actually do some damage to the barings in that fan. The system's not on when you're doing that, So always recommended to do it when the computer's off. Number one, and hold the fan to stop it from spinning. You're gonna do that, but again, be careful of how you're spraying that. Sometimes you get a little actual liquid, you know, that comes out of that. That's one of the things. I don't know any other tips. I mean, I've seen I've seen some really scary stuff inside PCs, especially a PC of a smoker that way really bad. I mean, I guess the biggest tip i'd say is, you know, get one of the get one of those fine brush like you could even use like an artist paint brush or whatever, or just like a keyboard brush. Use it to kind of knock loose some of that hard to reach stuff. But I always just use a can of air. But again, like you said, you do not want to turn that can of air upside down because then you get the liquid it comes out, and it can freeze those components and then it can break off. So try to keep the can of air straight up. But yeah, use a brush to kind of get it out, I guess. Yeah. And if you're wiping down your keyboard, make sure your computer's either off or the keyboards not connected. Yes, I mean you you literally can you can put a keyboard in the dishwasher. No, you can, you can, you can, but don't do it. You Yeah, I would highly recommend you don't do it, but you can do it. You just gotta make sure it is bone dry before you go to plug that thing back in. I spilled water. Put it on the oven at three twenty for twenty five minutes. Don't do that, please, all right? Actually, if you go to PC Gamer's website pcgamer dot com, forward slash spring Dash, clean dash your dash PC, you'll also get some tips there that might might be helpful for you. That wraps up this week's sech Talk Radio. Please don't bake your keyboard. Don't listen anything I say. That's it for me, Hedy Taylor, I'm justin. Let me have yourselves a great week. We'll see you next time.