Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBS Boston's new radio call.
Speaker 2: I thought that was very nice of you to put people's minds at ease on the folks who have lost power because of the wind gusts. Very thoughtful. I've been in that situation and you oh boy, hey, it's New England. But that's okay. We're in good shape here. My name is Dan Ray, and we will keep you as Nicole promised, we will keep you entertained and informed right up until midnight. Tonight. We've a couple of topics which are a little different. One, at nine o'clock, we're gonna be talking with the State Auditor, Diane Desauglia, who I think is doing a great job as a state auditor, and we're going to talk about the legislature's resistance to a ballot question which was passed overwhelmingly that the state auditor should be able to audit both branches of the legislature, the House and Senate. And then at ten o'clock, I'd like to talk about this murder that all of us now are aware of. I believe this healthcare executive in New York City early yesterday morning, and I just wonder if that is going to set a tone in this country. New York has very strict uncontrol laws, and this guy was able to be to shoot and kill. This coward shot the guy in the back. I want to talk about that at ten o'clock. Again, not often, we don't often talk about that sort of crime in other cities, but we'll make an exception today this evening. I should say my name is Stan Ray. I'm the host of the show. As Nicole had mentioned, Rob Brooks our producers back in Broadcast Central. He'll take care of you when we open up the phone lines for calls beginning at nine o'clock, and in the meantime we're going to talk with four I think very interesting guests here. We're going to start off with an author who has quite a background. His name is Robert Charles. Robert, Welcome to Nightside. First of all, i'd like to introduce you properly, if you give me just.
Speaker 3: A moment, Yeah, pleasure to talk to you and a real pleasure to be here with you with your listeners.
Speaker 2: Great. So, you're the author of a book called Cherish America, Stories of Courage, Character and Kindness that celebrates this idea of bravery and grace under fire, even a mid a time, a division of debate in the nation. You're a former Assistant Secretary of State under Colin Powell, and you've held positions in both the Reagan and Bush forty one, which is George Herbert Walker Bush in the White House. An extraordinary background. Tell us about the book. This is this your first book. It looks like it's quite a quite a work.
Speaker 3: Well, let me say, first of all, I grew up in rural New England, and just to be able to publish a book is a thing that was a marvel to me. This is actually my second big book. I did one about six years ago about growing up in rural New England called Eagles and Evergreens, and it.
Speaker 2: Was about growing up the state.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, well little teeny town called Wayne in Maine, of five hundred and seventy people. I said, give or take and believe it or not, I moved away. I did all those things and I came home. That's where I live now. So what happened six years ago? You know, six years ago that book came out, the first one, and it celebrated a kind of a novel idea. The idea that you would remember the influence of World War two vets in your life as you grew up in America. We're the last generation, you and I and your listeners really that will ever know the greatest generation first hand. So that was what that was about. The second book is called Cherish America. As you said, you can get it on Amazon or Tower Publishing. It's called Cherish America. Stories of Courage, Character and Kindness. And what happened is it swept over me that in the course of my really, look, my father never finished college. I had a blessed life. I grew up. My mother raised four kids more or less a and she pushed education. So I ended up at Dartmouth and Oxford University and Columbia Law School and clerked on the Ninth Circuit. And all of a sudden things began to happen in my life that were almost out of a you know, a Harry Potter book. It was crazy. I worked in the Reagan White House in Bush forty one, and then I worked personally and traveled all over the world with Colin Powell. But in that same sequence of events, and the book is divided into four sections. I also bumped into everyday people who had a tremendous effect on me, and actually many of them even on the world without knowing it. We all have stories, all of us, and some of those stories are really really compelling. This book is filled, Cherish America is filled with fifty six stories, and the first section are people who are veterans and teachers and nurses and athletes, and it's just it's kind of like a I'm trying to think of that movie Forrest Gump. It's kind of a remarkable of events that all these people should have crossed my paths. So by way of example, the first three of the first four stories and they're about law enforcement officers, and there's no politics in the book. It's all about the heroic soul all and I'm telling you, you buy this book, Cherish America. It makes an amazing gift because it's all about the goodness of the American heart and the can do spirit of Americans. So many of them are rescues where people save someone's life. The three of the first four are veterans, one from World War Two, one from Korea, one from Vietnam who actually turned into high school teachers or teachers in general, and I'll just give you a couple. One is a guy who was my eighth grade math teacher named Ron Herrick. You can look them up online if you want to, but you get the whole personal story right here. Ron Herrick was one of two twins, identical twins who came back from the Korean War. They'd lost their mother and father during the period of time they were deployed. They got back here nineteen fifties and their names were Ron, my teacher and Richard. Richard ends up with a fatal disease affecting his kidneys, and Ron, my math teacher, goes to Wellman Brigham and Women's right near you. There is where they were in the hospital, and he said, what's going to happen to my brother, Richard? And he said he's going to die in six weeks. And Ron said, why couldn't Never before in the history of mankind had anybody ever put an organ from one body into another body. And Ron said, he was a math teacher. He was very science oriented. He said, I got two kidneys, I only need one to live. Why couldn't I give one to my brother? And the doctor then at the time, doctor Murray said, can't be done I've never done before. Religious objections, it can't be done. That night, and I've talked with Ron and his wife, Cynthia, who just died. The doctor called him at home and said, you know, if this would ever work, it would work with identical twins. And so they did seventeen tests and one of them showed a skin graft held short, long and short of it. Ron gave his kidney to Richard. That stuck. Richard got married, had kid's. Life went well for both of them. First guy ever to give an organ to another person. Last year, I think we had three hundred thousand transplants. Bottom line is.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing that must have been sometime in the early sixties. I'm guessing it.
Speaker 3: Was actually late fifties, but it was.
Speaker 2: It was that Yes, cutting edge, yep, yeah, cutting edge. But I think I've actually heard of him. A good friend of mine was the head of the cardiology department at brighamom Woman for many years, doctor Larry.
Speaker 3: Well incredibly.
Speaker 2: Larry.
Speaker 3: Oh Okay, I don't know him, but I will say it is a great hospital. Interestingly, that doctor, doctor Murray won the Nobel Prize for that operation. So imagine fifty six stories I'm close by chance. Of course, I worked every day with Colon Poll and they're very intimate personal stories about Powell's integrity and good cheer and leadership lessons. In this book, I've worked for twenty five years, three times a week with buzz Aldren. It's an accident of life, but I will there are stories in this book that he has never told before.
Speaker 2: All buzz Aldrin is a character I've never met Aldren. You know, I did want to mention to you Ronald Reagan is my favorite president of my lifetime.
Speaker 3: So I worked with Ronald Reagan and kept up with him and Nancy to the end. And if you love Ronald Reagan, this book is for you again. Cherish America.
Speaker 2: The first time I interviewed Ronald Reagan was here on WBZ. It was what was called the Interregnum. It was nineteen seventy five, the time between he had been Governor of California and President, and interviewed him, met him many times. I will tell you one quick story and then I'm going to let you go. Many people, I'm sure you remember that George Bush upset Ronald Reagan. He was the odds on favorite to be the Republican nominee in nineteen eighty and George Bush carried one Iowa the Iowa Caucus, which had a tremendous influence. He had, you know, the momentum and all of that. And I remember being with Reagan the night after that. He stopped a small little church or a little bit of little events somewhere in New Hampshire. So it would have been the Wednesday night after the Iowa Caucus in nineteen eighty, and he walked through the door and he looked totally dispirited, and I thought to myself, you know, come on, Jeffer, you gotta get up off the mat. And once the Claig lights went on, he became Deronald Reagan. And of course we know what happened to the debate. That's my microphone, mister Breen, and the rest of chistory. So I'm looking forward to getting this book, Robert. How far up is Wayne Maine? I'm familiar with all the I spent a lot of not a lot of time, but spent a good deal of time in me and I'm guessing you're kind of at least halfway up the state.
Speaker 3: I am a about twenty miles northwest of Augusta on Andrewskagin Lake and a beautiful place too. You know, I'll just if I may tell you a brief, quick story about Reagan, and you're absolutely right as you you know, he was a man. What you see is what you've got. He was incredibly authentic every day of the week. And I will never forget being and this story. There are number of stories, personal stories about Reagan, and I kept up with him afterwards and went and visited him. But anyway, one day we're in the Rose Garden and you'll remember Sam Donaldson not a very yeah, not a very not a fan of Ronald Reagan. And so we were standing there and Reagan was talking about cost cutting and Sam, you know, Donaldson, I think was with ABC, had gotten his story and he really kind of rudely dragged his cameraman out of the thing, and of course wanted to go get the scoop. We were out in the Rose Garden, all the other reporters are standing beside behind the court and being polite, and the thing ends and it was just, you know, I'm sorry to say it, but Sam Donaldson was just, you know, he's kind of like one of these modern reporters that do not respect the institution. And so anyway, he went out, ended up filing his story or whatever. And we're going back and Reagan was going back with me, sen Baker and Devers to the Oval, which is right beside the I mean that the oval, the Rose Garden isn't very big, so you know, the Oval is right beside. You can go through French stores into it. And Reagan stopped just and all of that. They're trying to hurry him back, and he looks down in the grass and he finds something. Well, I'm just a junior staffer, and I'm thinking, I mean, he was just curious, what if he finding in the grass. Whatever he found, he picked up and he walked into the press room. Now presidents don't just do that, but he did. He walked into the press room and I followed him. In those day and ages, you know, pre nine to eleven, you could do that. And I walk in and I'm following him. And he goes and find Sam Donaldson's camera. Man, this poor guy that's been dragged across the Rose Garden and he's and he hands him his lens cap and he says, you dropped your lens cap and I thought, you know kindness right true as Ronald.
Speaker 2: Reagan and uh, just a great that's a great story. I hate to do this to you, Robert. We should have a longer conversation some night if you get a chance. Uh google me. I don't know if you listen to my show at all.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I love being on w BZ. Listen. I grew up in Maine. I would like, you know, listen to Rico Petrocelli under my pillow on a on a on a radio was I listened to the Red Sox all the time.
Speaker 2: Rico is a dear friend. And if something you and I'll tell you, uh, the Rico Petrocelli Hoyt Wilhelm story. I can't tell this one over the radio, but I love it. I love it. The book is Cherish America by Robert Charles, available everywhere. Robert, I really do appreciate. I'm going to suggest to my producer that we have you on and maybe we take some phone calls and an hour long version made in the next week.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, all good, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Looking forward to it. When we do get back, we are going to talk with Nicole Yang Boston Globe sportswriter about the Patriots says they head into their bye week, they will not lose this weekend, folks, I guarantee you that you can take that one to the bank or to the bookie. Back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nights Side Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, we are delighted to be joined by Nicole Yang. Nicole, welcome back to Night's aid. How are you good?
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fine. So the Patriots have a bye this weekend, which is I think well timed for a three to ten team. And you wrote an interesting piece in the Globe. It was updated on December Earlier this week on Monday, three up, Free down, and three to watch for the Patriots heading into the bye week. They've had some some nice games, but uh, they just don't seem to know how to finish. You watch these guys, Let's go through who you who you've identified. I think Drake May is the real deal. I'm I'm I'm obviously everyone else feels that same. I am delighted. You know, particularly how uh the prior quarterbacks for the Patriots had done. I see that Zappi just got released by the Browns, and who knows what's going on down and don in Jacksonville. This guy looks like the real deal.
Speaker 4: No. Absolutely. If there's one good thing to come out of this Patriots season, it's that it looks like they have their franchise quarterbacks. So I know there's a lot of questions about Elliott Wolf in the front office, but they definitely nailed their decision with the third overall pick, standing pat and taking Drake.
Speaker 2: Also, you you you identify Christian Gonzalez tough year last year, he got hurt early, but he's played very well this year. Quarterback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, last year he was on the field for four games and he did well, but he was still a rookie and I think it seems like people were maybe a little quick to anoint him as a lockdown, all pro level player. But this year he's definitely proven his value lived up to the first round bill Ing. So the defense has kind of struggled, but Christian has definitely pulled his weight.
Speaker 2: And you've got a couple of good, really good tight ends. Hunter Henry Austin Hooper. I don't know the comparative age and how much wear and tear on each of those big bodies, but at tight ends, it's a really critical position and they have two good ones. Do both of them stay with the Patriots next year.
Speaker 4: Austin Hooper is on a one year contract, so he will be an unrestricted free agent, but Hunter Henry is under contract for two more years, so he definitely seems to be a piece of the puzzle. Even with Max Jones, he was probably Max's favorite receiver. He's even though the team hasn't had much success, Hunter, I feel like, is probably the most important player relatively to the offense outside of the quarterback.
Speaker 2: How old is he is? He still in his twenties?
Speaker 4: He out of twenty nine or thirty, I can't remember off the top of my head.
Speaker 2: And then some players, some people who need to be a little concerned. I guess the receiver Polk who occasionally has looked pretty good this year, but he hasn't really been as consistent as I guess people would like to see what's his story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he started off. His production wasn't there necessarily in any game, Like, he didn't have a breakout game, but he started off showing some promise. There were some catches that he made that You're like, Okay, you can kind of see the potential, But then he had that one game with four or five drops, and ever since then, it's just been downhill. His role has decreased, his playing time has decreased, and he just is not putting up statistical numbers that are impressive or that reflect the value of a second round wide receiver. So Drod Mayo mentioned that he might be dealing with some like a mental hump, but polk like pushed back and said that he wasn't. So it's definitely a tough situation, and I would be surprised if over the next four games we see much else from him, because it seems like the Patriots have drilled in on Kayshaun Boody to Mario Douglas and Kendrick Bourne as their top three receivers.
Speaker 2: It's tough to see them give up on a guy who I think has a lot of potential. And then there's got to be some concern for the defensive coordinator as well as the offensive coordinator.
Speaker 4: Actually, I think the offensive coordinator early on you could say that his job maybe seemed a little bit in jeopardy. But I think Alix fin Pelt has started to show that he's worth sticking around. I just don't think with a rookie quarterback and Drake, you want to have two coordinators in two years. If there's a coaching change with Girad Mao, then you're looking at maybe three coordinators in three years. So I think that they're going to prioritize consistency, and I think if you have to give someone credit for Drake's development and how he's come along, Alex Vanpelt definitely deserves some of that. And he's known for his reputation working with quarterbacks. He's worked with Aaron Rodgers, Baker Mayfield, so I actually am not that concerned about his status. Of course, of the play calling is a little bit head scratching sometimes, but overall, I think he's improved as the season has gone on. Whereas definitely the defense with DeMarcus Covington is a much bigger concern. The defense has regressed in nearly every category this year. I mean, they couldn't get that one stand against the Colts to win the game. You can point to a number of games this year against the Rams. Their strategy with containing Kuka Nakula and Cooper Cup was ineffective and they didn't adjust that halftime. Against the Jaguars, they let them run all over them, I think for one hundred and ninety three yards. So DeMarcus Covington. I would be much more concerned about defense.
Speaker 2: The defenseive corps was pretty good early in the season for the first few games of the season. They they I think, were as responsible as anything for the victory in Cincinnati. I hope they don't get rid of Gerrod Mayo. I think he's done a pretty good job. I know I'm in the minority on this. He's a great guy, and I think that if you at the beginning of the season said hey, this team might might win four games, everybody would have been happy with it. I know they've only won three, but they'll pick up one of these games. I think, you know, they may not beat Buffalo at either of those games, but I think they could beat Arizona or in my opinion, do you think Male's in trouble. It sounds to me like you do.
Speaker 4: I don't think. I don't think he's in trouble after this one year. It's a rookie head coach. Spectations were low, But if things don't really change, next year, I don't expect them to all of a sudden turn into a contender. I think this is a multi year rebuild. But there are definitely some issues that reflect coaching. I mean the number of penalties that they have, that's just the lack of discipline. And gerd is a defensive minded coach, and the defense has regressed. So I think if next year, if there's not some market improvement, then I would imagine that Gerrad is in the hot seat. But right now I do not. I would be shocked if the Patriots was from him after one season.
Speaker 2: Well, to quote Rick Patino, build, Belichick's not walking back through that door anytime soon. Nicole. Let's see what right?
Speaker 4: And I don't think the Patriots. The Patriots don't want that.
Speaker 2: I know, but I'm only joking with you a little bit. Okay, give me your prediction. They're three and ten, How did they finish? What's their final record going to be? I don't see them beating Buffalo in either game. I'm looking at maybe one in three in the last four games. Am I in too much of an optimist?
Speaker 4: I mean I would say yes, personally, I don't think that they've given us any reason to pick them over these next four games. Arizona, Buffalo, the LA Chargers all tough opponents. The three teams the Patriots have beaten our inferior. Like, they say more about the team that they beat, the Jets, the Bears than they do about the Patriots, in my opinion, the Bengals in Week one, So I don't think the Patriots have given us reason to pick them. I think if Buffalo isn't playing their starters for some reason, because they've already walked up their playoff seating and the winners on the table. But if it's starters versus starters, I would need to see a lot from the Patriots to feel comfortable.
Speaker 2: I thought last thing, I watched the two point conversion at the end of the game against Indianapolis, and I thought that was a great play. They called as soon as he face, you know, handing the ball off to Taylor going right, the entire linebacking corps slid slid left and just opened it up for the quarterback to walk into the end zone. So I just thought that was a well designed play. I didn't watch the entire game. I don't know if they had run that play earlier. I suspect they probably hadn't. That was when I guess they kept in their back pocket.
Speaker 4: Just in case the game was in the Patriots defense. It did look like Christian Barmore was held on that play, but oh yeah, this is like to criticize the Patriots. They probably should have never gone to that point because they had three fourth downs on that drive and an opportunity to stop them.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think that you can call holding on every play that I've I've watching in an NFL game. Very really in my opinigure, Nicole, I love your enthusiasm and you're a great guest. So thanks for joining us tonight here on Night Side. And as I tell all my pals in the sports department at the Globe, you are. It's my favorite section. It's the one I go to after a while I finally get around to the to the editorial page, but at the Globe Sports News, one beats the Globe Sports page. So thanks so much and look forward to having you.
Speaker 4: Have a good name.
Speaker 2: We'll talk soon. Good night. All right, we get back with a little longer. We're going to go to the news and then we come back. We're going to talk about an arts foundation down in Cape Corn, as well as Boston's top restaurants, none of which I've ever eaten at, by the way, So that'll give you some idea about my my dining uh pattern. That's monsieur bag of Nightside.
Speaker 1: After this, you're on night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Delighted to welcome Katie Clancy to the program. Katie is a sales vice president. I always mispronounced the name is at revee ravska.
Speaker 5: Oh my god. You know what. I did the same thing when I started working for them.
Speaker 2: It's ravs okay. I I had a little bit of both of it, and two separate ravens okay. Thank you. You are doing a big event. I think it's coming up this weekend. Actually I think it's tomorrow tomorrow small Works art sale and open house presented by the Arts Foundation of Cape Cod. The event is happening tomorrow between four and six o'clock in the afternoon or the early evening. And tell us about it, Katie.
Speaker 6: So this is we're having.
Speaker 5: So I'm a real estate agent. What am I doing? Having an art sale?
Speaker 6: So I'm a real estate agent. I list big properties on Cape Cod and I happen to have a client who is an art collector and we share a passion for the arts. And I'm a donor at the Arts Foundation of Cape Cod and I every Christmas I sponsored their annual small artwork sale, and you know, for this year, I have an actually last year as well. My clients let us host this event at their mansion on the Ocean, eight bedroom nineteen twenty seaside mansion. The place is unfreaking believable, Dan, It is just beautiful and they put their own artwork on their walls.
Speaker 5: But we're also.
Speaker 6: Bringing in well, the Arts Foundation is bringing in about sixty pieces of small, small pieces of arts that people can come and buy, and it all goes back into the Arts Foundation, where I'll tell you, everybody's looking for money, right, everybody's looking for your charity donations and this and that. And when people ask me for money, I get to know where it's going, right, Like, you know, whatever, I throw it all here there. So when I looked at the Arts Foundation and what they were doing, they are getting the money right into the hands of the local artists who create this beautiful stuff.
Speaker 5: It's not just sort of being spread out.
Speaker 6: Maybe it'll get allocated or get apply for a grant or do that? So what this or that they are actually giving it to these artists so that they can make it happen here in Cape Con.
Speaker 2: Well, you're a renaissance woman, then you're not only an entrepreneur in the real estate industry, but you also have an appreciation for heart. So this event is tomorrow. Is it open to the public or is it a ticketed event in invitation only?
Speaker 6: Tell us about I got to tell you, Dan, I wasn't going to take this interview because it.
Speaker 5: Is actually an invite only event. However, since I'm holding.
Speaker 6: The venue, I can put whoever I want on that list, So people would have to contact me and I'll give you my email when the time comes. So people, if you want to come and see these pieces of art in person, you reached out to me and I'll make sure that you get in. And otherwise I'm going to have the.
Speaker 2: Secret password, Katie. This night side, night.
Speaker 5: Side, that's it.
Speaker 2: That's it, just Nightside with Dan Ray. They'll get in. So let's give me your email, because we'll do it twice. Give me your email first and then we'll come back to it in a in a second just let me, let me leave the dance just for a moment.
Speaker 6: What's the email, Katie K A T I E at the Cape House. You got to be able to remember that.
Speaker 5: Dot com perfect.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's my daughter's name. She spells a differently c A t y. But I won't hold that against you. A T I E at the Cape House. Three words all merge together dot com. Okay, Now it's tomorrow, it's between four and six. What town is that on the Cape?
Speaker 6: So this is in Centerville. Yeah, it's in Centerville, and it is it is close to Hyannas. It's actually right over the border.
Speaker 5: From Osterville, right on the Centerville River. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's easy. Yeah, and people can come and if they maybe they'd like to buy a piece of art for it's not an auction. It's basically the pieces of art. Do you get a chance to sort of talk to the artist and and maybe ask them how much it's worth or is it is it a set price and there's no haggling going on or.
Speaker 5: No, it is technically an auction.
Speaker 6: So you're gonna you're gonna need to hang tight there. We've got to we've got a link. What that can share with your team. If people can't make it down here to the actual the CDs in person, you can bid online as well. But the great part about this, this is one of the things that I love about this particular charity is there. They're accessible. You don't need five thousand dollars to buy a piece of this art. They have pieces is low in the two hundreds up to one thousand dollars. These are not meant to be super expensive.
Speaker 2: What's the website for the auction for people who can't get there on the last minute notice? Here, give us the website.
Speaker 6: For the auction Artsfoundation dot org.
Speaker 2: Perfect, okay, So if you want to see the the in advance the artwork and maybe bid on it, just go to Artsfoundation dot org. No Cape Cod in there just Arts Foundation on one word dot org. And if you would like to attend the event tomorrow four to six at this beautiful Cape Cod Home h in Centerville, you just go to Again it's Katie K. A T. I E. At the Cape House Cape the Cape House dot com.
Speaker 5: Correct, that's right, Dan, What are you doing tomorrow night?
Speaker 2: Actually I work Monday through Friday. I'm off you know, from A to midnight, So I'm off tomorrow night to be committed to going to an event in Boston. So other than that, I was off. I know the Cape very well, Katie. I love the Cape. I spent four and a half months down there working remotely h from from the Cape, so I love the Cape. I'll see you on the Cap. I'll look you out. Thanks, thank you, thank you so much. All Right, we come back when we talk about Boston's top restaurants with Axios Boston reporter Mike Dian. I've never eaten any of these restaurants. I have a new list of restaurants to look at. We'll be back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on w b Z, the news radio.
Speaker 2: All Right, we are into the holiday season. A lot of people make traditions going out to find restaurants, and according to Open Table, they have listed one hundred best restaurants in the country, I believe, and Boston has eight of them. With us is Mike Dian. He's a reporter for Axios Boston. Mike Dian. Welcome to Nightside, sir.
Speaker 7: How are you hey, Dan? Good good be with you. How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Nice to talk to you. Very impressed by the folks with axios. So we have these eight restaurants. To be truthful with me, now, I don't even are of them. How many of these before? You probably have gone to a couple of Like in the last two nights, I walked by.
Speaker 7: Them, Dan, Yes, them sometimes. Yeah, the smells are free. It's like Arby's. I know, it's funny when you said before the break that you had better. I honestly I haven't been any of these either. I've tried to go to some of them. I think one of the key features here is because Open Table is of course the online reservation service, and that's how they're deriving these reviews. You book the table and then later on you give them review. All of these places in Boston have a four point nine or four point eight, pretty stellar reviews for the food, for the service, for the ambiance, et cetera. And we're dealing with, you know, either either you know, finer casual dining or really kind of elevated fine dining. But you're absolutely right, it's not everyday neighborhood places. They do some you know Cambridge downtown spots.
Speaker 2: You know, the great American philosopher I'm sure you've heard of him, Lawrence Peter Bearra. Yes, ge Barra, right, Lawrence Peter Barra is a philosopher, said, no wonder, no one comes here. It's too crowded. So exactly why you haven't been to any of those restaurants? You know, you were quick to pick that up as Lawrence Peter Barra. I mean a lot of people would say, who the hell is he talking about there, you know, because it sounds very erudite.
Speaker 7: Okay, so we got it.
Speaker 2: Looks like a couple of Greek restaurants. To the top four, two Italian restaurants and then the Silverdove afternoon Tea. Now, the silver dub is the one that I caught. I have never done afternoon tea. Okay, I have done afternoon course light on weekends, but never afternoon tea. Silver Dove forty eight dollars standard tea service is all the rage. But don't sleep in their classic food options. Sleep on the classic food options cucumber sandwiches. I've never had a cucumber sandwich. And you know what, I have never desired to have a cucumber sandwich. Have you had a cucumber sandwich?
Speaker 7: I don't think so. I don't know if I had any of their savory can.
Speaker 2: They like water Crest to me or something like that?
Speaker 7: It could it could be.
Speaker 2: I think it very much. I mean, how much tea can you drink for forty eight dollars exactly?
Speaker 7: I imagine it's quite a bit. I think this place, this is Downtown's right on the Freedom Trail. I think there's a lot of kind of you know, tourist traffic kind of going into this that day in Boston with the family. You might book, you know, a fancy afternoon tea that I don't think this is something that every day Bostonians are going to. But I'll tell you this. I worked right by there at the State House, and I walked by Silver Dove all the time. And they're still there, you know, whether they survived the pandemic, they're they're doing well.
Speaker 2: What maybe the forty eight dollars standard service is like for a family of six? Could that be possible? Do you think or do you think it's for a person in I.
Speaker 7: Don't really know the menu. It's a bit exactly what I've seen that it could. I think it very well might be per person. It's ninety minute reservations so I think it's a whole hour and a half kind of an endeavor. But yeah, it's it's definitely kind of a standout a lot of these other restaurants you know you mentioned, but the Greek and Italian places that that really is where a lot of the finer cuisine and what a lot of Boston's great chefs are focusing on these days, because you know, it's just it's so hard to get into a place like Crassy or Pam's and Cambridge to get a table.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, I none of them. I mean for me, like fine dining is Davio's, I.
Speaker 7: Mean, yeah, exactly, Yeah, yeah, the ninety nine is an unopened table.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, no, no, no. Davis is good. I remember when Steve d. Filippo opened the original Davio's a Newbury Street. It was really a hole in the wall back in the nineteen eighties. Uh, And it has been good since since it started. You probably weren't born in the nineteen eight so you don't remember it, and it's now, you know, in different in different places. How's the Axios doing here in Boston? How you guys staffing up? I like Axios?
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you, thanks for us. It's where lean mean, two person team right now. We put out a newsletter every day on just basically what you need to know to be an informed citizen in Boston. You know, it's pretty politics heavy. That's my background. I've been coming to the state House for fifteen years. But we dabble in all sorts of stuff, like you know, occasionally undying, occasionally on lifestyle arts, just stuff that you know, we think that the audience will find interesting. So I appreciate you reading there. Dan.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now I got to ask you a question. One of the stories earlier this week, I don't know if it was you.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: It talked about some woman named Zindaia.
Speaker 7: Yes last name, I honestly I forget. I think she shares a last name with her mother. And this is the story is of course the Channel five, and they didn't and so yeah, she's kind of she's a mononym, right, She's like a madonna. She's she's famous enough to have the one name. It is her first name.
Speaker 2: All of these people with the one name. I'm telling you the truth, Mike, I know who share is. I actually met Sonny Bono when he was still alive. He was a congressman. Actually you might remember from California. Yep. I never met Elvis, but he sounded like a great party guy. Uh so we know who el Elvis was. But when I saw when I when when I saw that Zindaia was in town, I got all excited, and then I realized I had never heard of her. What.
Speaker 7: Well, she's an actress. She's been in movies and TV shows. She's on Euphoria, I Belie on HBO, huge hit. So it might be in the kind of ask your grandkid category, but I can assure you she's she's pretty famous and as as viral as that Channel five clip was with people kind of openly mocking they didn't know who she was. But yeah, she's been around, She's in Marvel movies. She's a big deal.
Speaker 2: My great my grandson Benjamin is two and a half years old. I'm going to have to ask him who's entire is and I'll try I will try to find out. Hey, Mike, you got a great sense of humor. I want you back more often here, So please listen more to Night's Side, and we'll get you in some night and we can do something more serious on politics. Whatever you want. My friend Okay, I'm sure I want style. Are you a Boston guy? So sure, well that's a Boston guy. I mean, you know.
Speaker 7: People come out here from like well, well, I don't know. I've been living in Dorchester fifteen years. I say I'm from Dorchester and that won't go over too well.
Speaker 2: Guess what you know most people from Rochester to South Shore. You did the reverence here, Mike Dian of Axios Bosston. I enjoyed this conversation and I thank you for joining us, and we'll look forward to our next chat. Okay, thanks Mike. All right, really he was a fun guy. Okay, we come back. We're going to talk with the Order of the Comalta Massachusetts. Diana's auglio. She is fighting the state House and we need help her. She is she's I think she's the breath of fresh air that this commonwealth needs. Diane is ugly a state Ordit are coming up. Where do you hear what they're trying to do? The fast one that the legislatures trying to pull. We're not going to let it happen back on nights out after this