Speaker 1: You hear us talk about ways to unlock VIP membership through your Apple account and the Apple Podcast app, and also through Patreon or Spotify. To unlock a full VIP membership with full access to archives and ad free website and customizable podcast feeds that are compatible with the Apple Podcast app and many iOS and Android apps, along with streaming ability right from our ad free mobile site, go to pwtorch dot com slash go VIP. That's pwtorch dot com slash go VIP That'll give you all the details on everything you're missing out on by not being a VIP member, the whole array of VIP exclusive podcasts like The Way Keller News bulletins, our post pay per view Roundtables, The Fix that I host with Todd Martin, Everything with Rich and Wade, and an array of other shows with different hosts and different themes, along with unlocking our archives dating back nearly four decades nearly two thousand. Pro Wrestling Torch weekly newsletters over two decades, a podcast on demand dating back to the mid two thousand, starting with pay per View Roundtables is of fascinating retro radio shows, including many that I hosted in the nineteen nineties and an AD free website. Exclusive content on that website only for VIP members written and audio, and a lightning fast, smooth, AD free VIP mobile site for all of our content. Don't miss out on all the benefits. Treat yourself to a VIP membership. PW torch dot com slash Go VIP go all the Way, Go VIP, PW torch dot com, slash Go VIP.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: PW Torch and Speaker bring you the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling post show. It's time to talk this week's WWE Friday Night SmackDown Albier. I think see them Punk and Cody Rohads showed how you can build up a match between two people who are longtime friends, do so respectfully. We can parse some of the words in actions and still make people think that this is going to be an intense fight that you want to see. Something missing from some of the other builds, including in the lead up to WrestleMania with Punk and Roll. But it's just to focus on the championship. I like Punk going. I want to find out who the better wrestler is and I want to be champion, and Cody wants to be Champion. I mean, I just don't think you should ever stray from that. I mean that's a bold statement. There's times you want to stray from it. I mean there might be a circumstance, but as a rule, that should be the centerpiece of any build to a main event match in a stadium, big pro wrestling event with two big stars fighting, especially for the number one prize. As Test the Tour said at the end of the show, Joe Test Tour, So I like this. I think they've done good work. I didn't think they seemed desperate. They didn't come across as as flailing trying to come up with some sort of internet buzz or social media controversy. They just told a story that feels like it could exist in a real WWE world. So it worked for me. I'm curious to know what you thought.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it didn't. I like to find enough. I just want it, just want to point say something. I basically binged everything from Night of Champions over the last two days. Yeah, so I've got a lot of fresh my head.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say after we talked in the a Black Hair, I'm like eager to talk to you because I know you you were behind and had to catch up, So you were going to turn this into out just a review of some key things on smack Own, but also bigger picture about the overall hype for the weekend for Summer Slam. So everyone stay tuned for basically a Summer Slam previews special here.
Speaker 3: And the reason I bring that up is because I think it was in the last SmackDown promo Cody did try to or to agouh. Cody did try to turn it into something else by saying that, oh, you know, I followed this thing and there's and I hate to give him credit, there was a great line by punkin that where he said, you don't have to complicate things. It just needs to be about It could just be about the belt. So you know, so so that that that did happen. I mean the stuff I don't like and it is just that the stupid, you know, convenient I hit them with the belt accidentally and that kind of stuff. But whatever that that that is what it. You know, it's I'll take that over some other stuff. So but overall, yeah, I mean it's just you know, they're they're they're they played up the whole friendship thing that they get along together, and things has been you know, percolating, and now the lid's off and you know they're they're off of the races. So yeah, I'm interested. I'm definitely interested in the match despite it being involving Punk. But yeah, I'm kidding. I'll lay off on that for a little bit.
Speaker 1: One thing that I like about this angle and and the build might sound an counterintuitive or or I know there's a good there's a good phrase that's not coming to mind selfless, I'll say. So they didn't give us a lot to talk about that I can like be critical of, Like they didn't do anything. I'm like, what are they thinking? Or stop doing this? It's just it's kind of what I like what I said. I wanted Roman and Punk to be more. You can be respectful, you can be grown ups. You don't have to be petty, you don't have to be dicks to each other. But you can also sell a match based on the championship mattering rival a rival read to find out who the best is. Give us a genuine belief that you want that you think you're better or you're not sure and you want to find out. And I like the growing up approach that these two men in their forties had to this, which is will be friends afterwards? Maybe? And I love Punk's line it's up to you, Cody for friends after this implying I'm gonna beat you, so can you be friends with me afterwards? I love the line of Cody saying, you said you came here not to make friends, to make money, and Punk goes, ah, you know, the keyword is make friends, the implication being I don't want to lose friends that I had. I just didn't come here to make new friends. So there's some clever lines in there, but the cadence, the pace, the delivery, it all felt like two stars who are confident and hungry, still talking to each other respectfully but intensely. By the way, when Cody said there's a word bothering me, and he said the word is tomorrow, what went through your mind heavier before he went on beyond that, anything come to mind?
Speaker 3: Not immediately.
Speaker 1: I don't don't know that. I just want to know if you had the same thought idea. I wasn't just yes, I'm not being I'm just say it was yesterday because I want to hit this point. I was curious if everyone had my thought, I thought, and I'm kind of relieved he didn't. I thought he's gonna say, my problem is it's tomorrow, not Sunday. This we should be closing the weekend. This is a top title. And I thought he's going to go into politics about Rome. And I was like, no, don't do that because and again I don't know if anyone else got that. That's why I wanted to find out if it was like obvious and everyone was thinking that, or maybe just me and a few others and I like that it Instead it was like, no, I want to I want to say, what are we gonna do tonight not tomorrow. In my point in bringing that up up here is they didn't stray like there was. I thought maybe that would be a time when they get into politics other than you know, Punk said, you know you're Sammy talks like a starter, but he's a bench player. Thought that was a good line defending the same four people headlining. I don't know if you had to go there, but I get it. It's fine that something Punk's character would say.
Speaker 3: So, and that was actually a point of talk a couple of weeks where Priest was the one complaining about that, so he was talking about that.
Speaker 1: It was a yeah, exactly was he talked to Sammy's complaining backstage priest has these things to say. I like this stuff with Trick earlier because it kind of played up the possibly you know what's gonna happen. You know, they're they're basically telling get having you as a viewer. Imagine like looking past the Summer Slam match but imagining, oh, do I want to see Trick against Cody or Trick against Punk? Do I want to see Sammy against Cody or Samy against Punk? Sammy covered both bases. Aaron Corbyn you know or excuse me, Damian Preesier's name in the mix. Baron Corben's kind of floating out there as a new guy. I don't think. I don't know. I mean, if they can move him to the top. So there were a lot of elements I liked about this. None of them were like desperate or hack or it just came across like I'm Cody, I'm Punk. We haven't had a big singles match. This is for the number one title. We're in a stadium show. Let's let's just talk with confidence and go figure out who's better. I mean, I want that to be enough. It should be enough, and the way to make it enough is to not always be desperately flailing to make it about something else. So I I like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the overall I think it's been a positive thing. I'll have stuff to say about the Roman Rain stuff too, but over overall it's been uh the like again the one if I'm because I like playing the devil's advocate, the other side of the of the equation. If there are a couple of things the things have been like was some of the petty, particularly the you know, the the reaches back because they showed the tape of him you know, uh yeah yeah hitting him in the face and all that stuff, you know, went into obviously scripted, you know, so that that's the kind of stuff I didn't like. The one thing that I have it was a segment where I had a love hate relationship with the whole thing was when Cody was trying to make it personal. He was saying again a couple of days ago, he was saying that he followed Punk what you know, that he was following the pipe bomb promo that Punk laid out, and then that's what he decided to do. And I thought that was the most Cody thing to say, and the most Punk thing because Punk was like agreeing with him throughout the entire thing, because Cody was following, not following Punk's pipe bomb. He was following Drew galloway draw bag and tire that he was following in his footstet, which is what I was hoping that they would make that feud about. And they basically took what they had on that feud and kind of to like forced it into this one, which was like, which was great, because that's what you want to you know, create, you know, Oh, there's there's backstory to this, there's more deepness to this. But I just I was listening to a promo when I was like laughing because I'm like, this is what they could they should have done with the Drew McIntyre stuff, and it's and like, I'm kind of hoping that whatever the next step. I mean, granted Drew macintar has wrestle both of these two like to death by now that when he comes back that he picks up on that. Because I just found it hilarious how like they basically took somebody else's story and applied it to this The other complaint I had is when you start talking about some of the stuff like when Drew sorry Drew, when priests talked about you know, oh, I'm tired of the same people, uh being at the top, and you don't want to that's already something that the hardcore fans are talking about. You don't want to make it like an obvious thing because you're you're essentially drawing an attention to something you don't need to draw attention to. You know, it's like, you know, talking about a rest of us too, you know, oh you're too old or that kind of thing, unless that's part of the story. But you know that's those Those were the the miss I think they had, but those are minor compared to some other stuff we'll probably talk about. So but that, you know, it is probably the I would say, it's the second match I'm most interested in, uh this coming SummerSlam.
Speaker 1: What's number one? And then we'll just finish its short answer well, Ben Brock, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's what I assume. But yeah, we'll get to that. Okay, So you mentioned, uh the line from Cody saying I did what I I executed what people wanted you to do. Punk and when you did the pipe one promo. I love that. I mean, because it's true, you know, I mean, Cody had his checklist with his manicured fingers, with a designer pen on a paper with very good penmanship. I remember, you know, putting on social media. Here's my checklist, you know, check, check check. He did all of it. He didn't say start a new national company a little Aaron tbs so Tony Shavannie announcing again. But you know, he laid out a lot of it. But for Cody to admit in the whole time, because Cody has a little bit of imposter syndrome with his dad being super charismatic and you know, better in almost every way than him in his own mind and in certain in certain categories, Dust he was more charismatic and all that, but and then got more intense crowd reactions. It was more bill up by the fans until he overstays welcome and whatever. That's a whole other story that WI doesn't talk about. But for Cody to admit, like, yeah, I was kind of doing something that, but the whole way, people would have rather had Punk doing it, starting a company and being the anti Evince, the anti w B and all that. I thought that was like an admit, a pretty interesting admission. So we bragg going I did what you said you were gonna do. You said at home was the implication, or you went and dabbled in MMA went to Blackhawks game, and I went out and did it. But I always felt the fans would rather have it be you. I think when Cody says that, I think it's softens and he pushed back against him or booze from people who want to side with Punk over him, because people go, well, I have to boot Cody to let people know I'd rather Punk be on top this whole time, and he's my hero. If Cody sort of acknowledges and seems vulnerable and little insecure and doesn't have a big ego, he doesn't seem delusional, I think it softens any pushback against Cody Bipunk fans, which you can say isn't great in one respect because we didn't get notice tonight. We didn't get let's go Cody, CM Punk, Let's go. We don't have strong crowd reactions right now. We'll get stronger crowd reactions in the mid card. Frost in Theory and Maxine against otis like, that's getting more heat than some of this other stuff because I think fans are just kind of burned out on you know, the ambiguity leading to ambivalence in terms of whom am I supposed to cheer for and who got that in that take team thing too earlier tonight. But that said, I would still vote for it because I think Cody as a character, it builds him up to seem self aware because one of his weaknesses is he not self aware. That showed his self awareness and a callback, and I thought it tied together their legacies, you know, where Cody did what Punk said he was going to do, but he was out. He always felt it fans would rather it be Punk. It talks like that made this match to me feel bigger because they both were renegades and independent figures who took different paths to get to this moment in twenty twenty six. That's my case for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no, no, I I agree, It's it's just that I just found it funny where it's a more maps to the to the because he gave he gave you an interview, right Drew Galloway while he was planning doing too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, when he left when he when he left O Toby and was either in TEENA or going to TNA.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. And and that's the thing because like that, that's one of the that's one of the earlier PW torch stuff I remember. So it's why it struck me so hard. And and throughout the Cody's entire like time in the Indies, I saw he was basically hitting the same place as that that dramaguitar was. You know, he went through TNA just quick quick, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So so that that's why I foind you know, it still stands true that that that you know, that the fact that you know he's he's he's rebelling against the he was rebelling against the machine with the whole you know, throne that he you know, Triple H and Vince McMahon, the more than one row of family. All that stuff is also baked in too, uh you know. But but I enjoyed that. The other thing I liked about it was how he said that he's tired of apologizing for being the top guy. That was the other thing I liked throughout the whole thing, that that he's done too.
Speaker 1: So yep, yep, Okay, let's uh, let's pause and introduce ourselves quickly here. Then we will uh throw some comments from the chat up on the screen and respond to him Javier about Pumpkin Cody in particular. Then we'll also up open up the the color lines. You're welcome to join the show. Derella's on hold already. To find the link to be on the show, by the way, go to my TV report, my written report on SmackDown tonight at the PW Torch website.
Speaker 2: Just go there.
Speaker 1: The link is there. Click it you you'll end up in the waiting room. We can bring you on. You can turn your camera off if you'd just rather be audio only collar just like in our blog talk radio days. But if you want to be on camera, you can be two So you're invited to do that. So that's kind of what's on the agenda. Then we'll talk more about SmackDown and other things that happen on the show, and then we'll broaden it out and I'm excited to get Hobvier's thoughts on seth and Roman and other things. On this show. We will talk a little bit about the division of the matches night one and Night two and how week Night two looks and what to make of that and more. And we'll also check the inbox if we have time for any email, so send those in Weadkeller Post Show at gmail dot com and otherwise just partake in the chat. Did you know that you can enjoy commercial free versions of all of your favorite weight color podcasts and pw torch daily casts on Spotify. Just go to Patreon dot com search pw Torch and subscribe too. Of VP membership tier, you get a seven day free trial by the Way to kick the tires a bit and see if you like the service, and then sync it with Spotify and you can listen to commercial free version of our free shows like the way Keller Post Shows, the Way Keller Podcast, Flagship, our flashbacks and also the pw Torch Day the cast lineup again all commercial free and nice streamline listening experience. But with third tier membership you can also unlock all the VIP podcasts, including Everything with Rich and Wade, The Fix with Todd Martin that I host with Todd every week, the Wadkeller News bulletins, post pay per view roundtables, and an array of other VIP exclusive podcasts with different hosts and different themes. Check out the lineup. Go to Patreon and search PW Torch and subscribe and sync it up with Spotify or stay within the Patreon ecosystem. Either way works. Go to Patreon and start your seven day free trial. This is the way Keller Pro Wrestling Post Show on Friday, July thirty first, twenty twenty six. I'm Waykeller, host of the show, editor, publisher and founder of the long running Pro Wrestling Torch weekly newsletter and the website pw torch dot com, and the host of a variety of podcasts, including some free ones like the way Keller Podcast. Earlier this week, Greg Park's longtime prosing Torch columnist and podcaster, joined me and we talked for hour and a half two hours about wider array topics, a lot of SummerSlam talk, course, and some aw fallout from their pay per view and more.
Speaker 3: So check that out.
Speaker 1: It's our blue logo show. If you haven't subscribed to that yet, especially for finding us on the YouTube side of things, and you're not you haven't subscribed to the podcast feeds, encourage you to do so. Just search Wade Keller in your podcast app and you'll see the blue logo show up and the red logo. Subscribe to both both logos give you access to shows that are podcast only, and while you're at it, search PW torch and that'll bring up our PW torch Daily Cast feed and our PW torch Free samp VIP free sample feed. The PW Torch Daily Cast will include our Summer Slam post shows this weekend format similar to this, Greg Park's hosting Tomorrow Night by the Way and other shows. Different shows each day of the week. The p B Torch Nineties Pastcast Worse or Better shows focused on aw NXT and impact and more so in the NDY scene, so check that out. Search Waight Keller and your podcast s app We'd love to have you subscribe to our shows, and while you're at it, please give us a five star rating on Spotify, ARP or Apple Podcasts. Trying to bring our average up and you can help do that. If you're watching us on YouTube, please give us a thumbs up. Subscribe to our channel, set that alarm so you know when we go live, and feel free to comment on the show whether you're watching us live in the chat or after the fact in the comments area. Jabo Machado is my co host. He is a PW Torch contributor. Right before we went live here on the PW torch YouTube channel, Haveavier you sent me your primer for SummerSlam, so I'm looking forward to that. I didn't have a chance to look at it yet, so I will be asking you questions without knowledge of what you wrote. But I encourage everyone to go read your SummerSlam preview on plew Torch, along with all our other great content. We've got g one coverage. By the way, if you're interested in New Japan, g One getting you the reviews of the matches that you're watching to see what our team is has to say about them, or just keep up on things and see what matches you might want to watch. Those reports are up on the website. Also, how you're welcome that frym me weed.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I had to wait for the results of Julia and Last Legend because I had that was gonna play into what my analysis that was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wasn't surprised by the outcome, but it confirmed, you know, whatever's going on with Julia is not a rocket being strapped tour like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, pretty, I was pretty sure it was gonna be lash, but I didn't want to. Like you guess, the surprising part was the fact how you cheat. It was just a squash basically.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. Yeah, Julia's basically become a jobber at this point. Yeah, all right. Derek Mitchell in the chat says it would be great if the title remained the true centerpiece of the show. Cody emphasized that the Championship is a crown jewel, the King's crown, and it should always be the primary focus. And I mean again, that's you know, Philip, there are things that work to help increase interest in a show or a match that you're promoting, but there are foundational things things that that are important also that paid dividends later. And I think part of what Punk and Cody did here wasn't just sell their match, but it was selling the importance of the championship and selling the notion that this is a competition to try to win a match. It's not a competition to see who can get the most social media buzz or have the most most views of clips that that are that are propagated all over social media, or you know, create outrage or oohs and ohs. I can't believe they went there, you know, Grayson Waller on Tuesday, that kind of thing. This just straightforward that you can drop this promo, you know, pretty close to this versus promo in any era of UH you know, two veterans fighting for a championship and it would work. And and I and I and I like that because I think wrestling as straight from that for dopamine rushes that are ephemeral and don't add up to selling tickets. And this was this was moren track of your's nothing to say to that. Yeah, I didn't know. That's fine. I was looking for the next UH chat comment to UH to to throw up after that.
Speaker 3: I not and I realize that's not good for podcasting.
Speaker 1: It's not good for podcasting. Plus, I wasn't looking at you. I was looking at the UH at the live chat, so I didn't even see you. Not so, But if you want to just do sign language and and and not, I mean I can I can carry it and interpret for you, all right.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Stan Aviation says, By the way, I'll still push back on what you said, Wade. What's the what's foundational about focusing on two world titles? Well, there is that although you know, Carrie van Eric there's only one world to show, will be one World Champion and the lead up to Super Clash a w A SuperClash three. But when he and Jerry Lawler are gonna merge, the merge their titles to champs. The champ matches go way back. But having two championships, two top men singles titles in the same promotion when you don't have a super strong division between brands is still ick, you know. I mean, when when you're doing a house she'll circuit trying to cell tickets, and that's a big part of your revenue. You know, there's an argument to say, you know, we just want to have a world title match on each of those if you're doing brands separate PL's or pay per views, even though we don't want that, there's a rational built into it to have a world champ to headline each of those shows. But yeah, ultimately having a singular champion has massive benefits that they're missing out on. Let's put it that way, all right. Some of the comments on that closing segment paper standard Deviation says, I'm up to just before the main event and so far Punk's closing the line against Trick has been the only highlight of the night for me. It's about time someone made sense of Trick's catchphrase. This plays in tab or what we said earlier that I liked. They didn't just focus on like everyone going I can't wait to face you Punk Orf, you Bee Cody or you know. It didn't give away to finish, but the note the having different challengers talking about wanting to face the winner. This makes this match feel more important because you realize there's all these challengers lined up and you know, punks like I want to face somebody or co I want to face somebody fresh, I want to face new talent, And it makes you realize, Wow, the stakes are big because it's the winner of this match is the veteran babyface champion who has proven he's better. And this is what they're selling. Who knows there could be converse and finished and they do six rematches for six months, But the story they're telling is the winner of this match goes out to face this lineup of challengers, some new names and some names from the past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some people trying to skip in line like goodser.
Speaker 1: Yes, yep, all right, m stand aviation adds, I go into every big Cody match expecting him to turn here this time he lost clean to a Heil and the lead up Sammy, which traditionally suggests he's about to turn any any day now. Yep, any day now, jave Er, what's your what's your inclination in terms of Cody turning Hill? I've been saying for years. I don't think he's turning hill. Don't think he should turn hell. I don't think a few fans booing him because he's been booked against very popular heel opponents or other baby faces, Well, Cody pats him on the head and says, hey, kid, someday you might be a worthy draw. And as I always say, Cody's drawing more crowds over twenty thousand than Johnson ever did. And it's like it's so patronizing and oblivious and insulting all that worked against Cot and then Rock patting Cody on there too, Like all this patronizing stuff to Cody that didn't treat him as QB one, you know, and and the Alpha has undercut him. Let him just have a run of being a baby face being Cody, Like, no, there's no rush, and tonight I mean the crowd was more into Punk, but they didn't boo Cody either a few scattered booths or more cheers. They chanted Cody. Then there was a Punk chance. It was a little louder than Cody. But you know, I mean they're in Green Bay, it's sort of near Chicago. I don't know. I mean, I'm not I just don't think there's any rush. And I think people have read into things that were not Cody on the verge Attorney, what do you think of her?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 3: That's what I was actually think. That was one of my big thoughts to take aways from tonight. I was listening for the reaction on the two of them front of the crowd, right before you're about to go.
Speaker 1: I think they're curious to go home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so so the crowd saying to one hundred percent behind Punk, I would say like seventy five twenty five with Cody, which was you know, because my biggest was Punk. Yeah, well it was under the car was under with Punk. But then there were you know, when when Punk was talking, there were pretty muche hundred percent years. When Cody was talking, it was like a seventy five I.
Speaker 1: Understand, which was which I see as.
Speaker 3: A win on the baby face column because the fact that it's punk he could have. That was my biggest concern going into this feud was you're almost kind of tempting that he has to turn heel because it could do damage to the babyface version, and you know, and and also depending on how the story would would play out, and since they basically kept it as you know, friendly to until like the last moment, I think that ended up. I think they did enough enough of a job there where it's a straight up baby face baby face matchup. I think this is like the least likely because I understand I'm like, I'm I'm too always ready. It's like is this week Thursday?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 3: But this is this is where I'm least confident that Cody's an turn heel, which means it might be when he does so I would actually like, would I mean, consider the fact he's been talking about it online, uh and in interviews? Uh punk has he's been talking about like he can never turn heel again because people are still going to cheer him. So I wouldn't be surprised that those interviews.
Speaker 1: Been very popular. Bay Faced Cogan thought no one had ever I mean that, but never. I mean, Punk is in his late but.
Speaker 3: The fact that he the fact that he brought it up though, you know, in interviews, makes me think that that's you know, kind of priming the other side of the equation. And I could see him after this, because he I could see him turning heel for this in order just to keep the title and to continue the story going on. This is the thing is, I haven't bothered to think about people coming back, so I don't know about Ko. I have a factoring Ko into my thinking. I have factored Randy Orton to my thinking. I have factored anybody just my thinking. Can hear me lose me?
Speaker 1: I said, yeah, and Drew mcintaria.
Speaker 3: Well because I lost my camera, so oh I see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, I've I've heard you the whole time.
Speaker 3: Okay, so yeah so then yeah, so yeah, Drew McIntyre. So all those people coming back, I have a factor of them in this is what happens. But you could just have Punk turned heel and then just have it continue from that point on.
Speaker 1: And you could have both be babyface and split off and face heels. I am. I think Cody's going to be a wonderful heel and if he turns, I'll embrace it. My point, I'll embrace it in a vacuum that I think Cody can be a money making business, a jolt to the business and interest in ww BE, because I think he'll be really good in that role, and I would like to see him go lean all in on it. I'm eager to see it. But I'm in no rush. Is my point all long is I'm in no rush. Let's get the most we can out of baby face Cody before he's heel. I want to see a heel Cody managed by Paul Hayman, maybe against Oba Femi in a year and a half, like you know, like there's some really cool things down on the road. I'm just not in a hurry. And I will stand by my thought that people have read too much into things that made them think they were that they almost feel cheated out of what was almost promised a Cody heel turn, and I just I don't think we were really ever there. I think there were moments there were some pressure on O to turn heel, you know, with the final boss type stuff, and Cody had a chance to decide and made the decision not to and then here we are, and I think we're in a good spot. Another comment from the chat, Tito says, Tito one o two, not to be tilto tilt till. I don't even know it's tilt oh one o two. I can't tell the difference between a one in and out here. Cody taking off his merch jack jacket to reveal his business attire was so cringe it took me out of it. I stand by what I said. The only good thing about today was Nick Aldos's promo stupid go Home show. It is very quintessential Cody to take off his merch jacket, throw it to the crowd. But then have you know a watch chain or mentallion chain, I don't even know what it is in a suit vest underneath it? I mean it's Cody.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I think this is the most casual he's ever dressed, to be honest.
Speaker 1: But to have a to have a like sort of a bedazzled spring jacket that sort of casual you would expect like a running suit under it or a T shirt, and to take it off, and to have a vest that's part of like a very formal three piece suit from like the nineteen you know, early nineteen seventies or something like. That's the part that I think it's just kind of startling, like those just didn't go together, so it drew attention to the fact that that when you see Cody like in a jogging suit, don't rule out that he doesn't have a vest and a watch chain underneath it, you know, or whatever.
Speaker 5: Anyway, longing for some nostalgia or maybe you want to learn some wrestling history, don't miss the nineties Pass cast every Friday on the PW Towards Daly Cast feed. Alex and Patrick will transport you thirty years into the past by taking you through the Torch issue from that very weak follow news from the WWF and WCW and all the happenings from across the wrestling industry in real time as The Torch reported it thirty years ago. That's the nineties Pass cast every Friday or the PW Torch Daily Cast feed.
Speaker 1: Let's see Drell, who'll be joining us as a caller, says, unlike Seth and Roman Punk, Cody did make the title feel important and not make it about other things that really don't matter, like trying to be smart. I agree. I agree. There's a comment from Derek Hubbard, who will be part of our weekend post shows. Also, Cody and Punk raised the tension and heightened the stakes meaning the belt without being unlikable or petty. Absolutely, that's that's that's my uh, that is one of the things that I liked about what they did here. I think they can both come out of this as baby faces. I don't think they crossed any lines where we have to selectively forget what they said and just sort of pretend it didn't happen in order to keep cheering them, you know. I think that this was uh, you know, smart to protect them both or to make a turn more shocking anything that.
Speaker 2: To that have here.
Speaker 1: No, what is your official prediction for this match?
Speaker 3: I don't think Cody can win. I think it'd be a bad idea for him to win because once he's already brought up, he's the golden Boy, and it's the same people at the top, and you've already had people, you know, you know, fans complain about, oh, he's been champion for too long and tired, you know, you were tired of Cody. I think you'd give him a break for the time being, put him in something else and just wet people's appetite for him to get back to somebody, for him to take down. I think that is the best case scenarios. So I'm hoping that Punk wins because I think you could still do some more stuff with Punk, with the other people there that that are in line while you do you know, you rehabilitate is usually used like in the wrong, you know, like like saying that, oh, he's been damaged. I don't mean it that way, but you know, kind of like prime him for something, you know.
Speaker 1: Mhm, all right. Vinnie Quakin says Punk versus Cody had the better build thing Roman seth. But I think this will be the first of many matches between them, which is why it's night one. That might be the rationalization. It also might be true it also they might have been on Night one no matter what, because romans the guy who's going to headline Night two. But there there is I think there could be something to that that they're finished. A Roman death might be more clean, more decisive than what we see with with Cody and Punk. What is what are the options? There is this GTS Cody goes down one, two three, Punk wins, Cody goes away for a few weeks, comes back as an issue with somebody else and we just sort of move on. Or is the only way for Cody to remain a top guy to turn heel or are we going to see Punk versus Cody in multiple circumstances going you know, going into the end of summer and maybe even into fall.
Speaker 3: I think a Punk not necessarily heel turn, but maybe like he does something unsavory to win, you know, takes a cheap shot, takes a you know, not maybe maybe short of a low blow, but you know, takes advantage of something where you know, he could still have plausible deniability, while at the same time, you know, it wasn't really did he really mean to do it that kind of thing?
Speaker 1: Yep? Vinnie Gwakin says also, when he said what do you want to talk about? The fans chant at seem Punk, I'm surprised Cody didn't mention it and get into more of his issue about Punk being the champion and not him. I don't know if Punk, I don't know if Cody wanted to draw attention to that, you know, what do you want to talk about? Although he could have easily said so do I Punk? You know, step Punk, come here, get close. I got some of to say whatever. I mean, it was fine. I don't know if he saw that coming. You know, what do you want to talk about? What did he anticipate a seam punk chant? He kind of pause, He goes, you know, Green Bay, and then he soaked up the crowd reaction, and there's a Cody chant and he goes Green Bay. What don't want to talk about? And then there was a seampunk chant. But again, how do you how do you uh uh, what do you read into or draw from the crowd not being as intense, Like if John Cena was sitting at home watching this, He's like, man, these two guys aren't over because no one's chanting. Let's go Punk, Punk sucks or let's go Cody. Cody sucks in this super intense, loud chant. It wasn't that this was not communal participation crowd. This was a crowd. And I argued this and others did too. Like Punk. What the fans are doing with Cody and Punk is listening. They like both. They're they're paying attention, they're not bored, but they don't have victory all. They don't have like passionately negative feelings that would inspire them to cho and this is it's a pro and a con. I don't think they because I don't think once they booked this match, I don't think you desperately try to get what they don't have here. But it can give the impression that there's not a lot of anticipation for it because they haven't gone for desperate things that would lead to the intense, you know, dueling chance. I don't see it as a negative because I think foundationally they did a lot of good things here. But what do you read into what's your assessment of the crowd response to this segment and the segments you've watched as you were kind of you know, catching up on stuff.
Speaker 3: So basically you okay, so when you want to get when you want to involve somebody in a match, you got three main aspects, right. You have the face, which is the person that they want you to cheer you. So if you have like a strong baby face, you want this guy to wind no matter what at any time. That's when you have a really strong baby face, heal someone you want to boom and sometimes that that that character can carry the can carry the whole thing. Hogan did that for a lot of time. But you know how many people did Hogan beat that were just built as monsters and then disappeared after you beat them once?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Then you have heels or super strong heels that you just want to see somebody beat, right, you don't care, you just want to see them lose. And then you have the story element. You know, am I invested in the story? So those are three things that get you invested. Ideally, you want to hit all three, right, the trifecta. You want a great story with a baby face you absolutely love and a heel you absolutely hate. That's the trifactas was going to get you the most investment in that one specific match. I think that because you're dealing and I say this is what you see across every everything including the Bloodline versus the the Unlikely Trio and and even Sethin and and Roman. Is that because they're not really positioning the the wrestlers as someone you really want to win. You want to see them accomplish their goals or or be prevented from a college of their goals. The stories was carrying the biggest amount of weight. So in this in this one, they it was a straight up story. So you I think what you said, people are sitting down. They're not like cheering and really into it, but they're on the edge of the edge of the They're on the edge of their seats, waiting to see what's going to pop off, what's gonna happen next, who's gonna win. So there, you know, there is engagement there. It's just not you're not engaged with either one because you like both of them, but they're engaged with the story. If they weren't engaged with this, with the story, I think you more likely get a you know, let's go seeing uh, you know, seeing us. It's kind of you know, dueling chant thing or you know, let's go Cody, let's go And you'll probably still end up getting it when the match happens. But you know, it's I think that that's just because that's part of the course. But I think that's ultimately why you're ending up getting some less crowd, you know, anticipation, because they're they're just watching. It's like if you're watching a TV you know, because when you're watching a TV show at home, you're not like cheering for the TV, you know, for the tea. You're not cheering. You're watching a movie, you're not Sometimes you do, but you don't see you're not yelling at the screen. That's kind of think that people are sitting down and watching like a play, watching something, and I think that's transformed them in their mind where they're actually watching what's going on, as opposed to getting really invested in the characters and hoping for one specific personal way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you'd have your drella. In the chat's tonight on SPECDWN, they went back to telling stories and giving stories for after Summer Slam as well. Uh Standardbiation said, because you know, some people brought up and you have the misunderstandings or the inavertent you know, uh collisions and such. Uh Standard Deviation says, I'm fine with the misunderstandings because in the back of my mind, I'm wondering if it's a case of plausible deniability, you know, the punk swinging the belt and Cody taking offense to it. You know, it's a little too convenient, but you know, the adult thing would be for Cody to be like whatever, you know whatever not you know, flip out, and then you know, Cody snapping being a little on edge when Punk put his hands on him, I don't know. I mean, I think you want to have some of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And what they did well with that over the weeks is that when he did snap, he did back up and say, Okay, yeah, I overreacted. Yep, you know from time to time, so so it buys into it. It breaks away from like what w usually does, which is just continue to like stacking as light things. This was more like, Okay, I overreacted. Maybe I overreacted. I'm gonna take you at your word. Those were kind of the conversations that we're having until you know the album in the face. You know, at that point you're like, is it and at some point it's going to blow up? But the fact that you know happened often and yeah, the only possible thing is that they were doing it purposefully to start getting back at each other. Where you start getting to the petty petty not petty in terms of like unrealistic petty, but what's the we're looking for passive aggressiveness basically kind of petty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, petulance.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Would it have been better if Cody and Punk beat up a bunch of security guards and police officers?
Speaker 3: No, But I do it. But speaking of that, one of the thoughts I did have was, man, did it the security take a long time to come out to break them apart? I wonder if Pierce was purposely hoping to sabotage that main event.
Speaker 1: Oh, I see, you know, speaking of which I know if I's the only one. But when Punk was took the bump, the kind of the awkward bump off of the Cody awkward clothes line during the brawl, and then when Cody closed line him over the top rope and he took a bump on the floor, I'm just like, he's gonna blow out his knee, he's gonna sprain his ankle, He's gonna something's gonna happen here, and they're gonna have to call some audible, And I don't know what that audible would be other than Sammy whoever wins Sammy Finn gets a title shot later in the night or something. I mean, I was like, come on, and then they're standing on the table and I'll take to somebody to slip, you know. Anyway, Thankfully, as best we can tell, that didn't that did not happen, all right?
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Mark Bisquetti says, Punk looked younger tonight. Is energy and Aura perked up when he's in the main event of the Big Show. What do you think about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he seemed like he was he's up to it. He seems like he's having Uh. I think he's looking forward to wrestle Cody, So yeah, I thought that goes with what with the funk?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Sean Plitscha says, I was always ready for this match. In the last two weeks have gotten me more excited about it. He also adds Cody turning here more interesting now after the last few weeks interesting. Uh, let's see.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Jac Scooby says Punk was a star smack Down tonight and Sammy was the runner up. Uh, Darrell, who will get to an women? He says, I I like that Punk called out the people in the back who felt like priest and I like that they didn't go like Seth than Roman for sure for sure. Oh Atlas Fear says, I think it's when reference to my comment earlier, He goes, I had the same thought when Cody stressed tomorrow, also meaning oh, he's going to complain about not getting a match on Sunday and Caid Kay says that was my thought to Wade, So thank you. I'm glad I'm not alone, and it's nice when people chime in who aren't normally part of the chat. When when I asked a direct question like that, and and and back me up. Sadler Version three says the final saying was fine, but it didn't leave me antsy to watch this match. All right, let's uh, let's bring uh drella you find if we can take crofton first? Yeah, Derell's I was hanging around it, so crafton, I'm gonna bring you on if you're ready for us, craft and welcome. Good to see you. Good hear from you. Hey, guys, great to hear from you.
Speaker 6: Sorry, I totally expected Torel to go first, so I was not prepared.
Speaker 1: But he always says he's gonna watch the whole show anyway, so put people first. So but I like to ask him because I can kind of see a little box in the corner and he gives me the thumbs up. And sometimes others can't stay up late.
Speaker 6: So that's awesome. I I sometimes it's probably good if I get more sleep, So appreciated Darrell. I would just like right up before changing topics or anything. I did want to talk about the Cody Punk angle because I'm sort of not in alignment. I think with where you guys are. I have found this whole build very boring. And I do get the face versus face dynamic, and I like both those guys, so that is that is the thing. But when there's no strong dislike and there's no heel, you make it.
Speaker 3: You can make it.
Speaker 6: About the championship and and who's the best, And they touched on that a bit, but they often spend a lot of time repeating the same talking points. We've been circling each other forever. We can't avoid this. I'm like, I don't know how many times they've said something like that or stupid dumb misunderstandings, elbow in the face or this, and then like little passive aggressive stuff like they did tonight, and none of it felt big time to me. And and because of that, I felt just kind of kind of bored by this, and the crowd was dead in the main event segment. And I get what you guys are saying. Where they're they're both they like everyone, and there they're on the edge of their seat. I wasn't on the edge of my seat. I was like, this, this seems like they're limping to the finish line. And then of course they threw hands at the end, and people were I think, you know, got a little bit more invested. I'm wondering if this is what Vinnie from the chat mentioned the first chapter of a multi chapter story in which that they they have repeated confrontations where there's now increasing bad blood. But I don't know for a main event of SummerSlam, this has just felt it's just missing some sort of juice. I can't even fully articulate what it is, but it's not resonating with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I get it. I mean I'm not chocked to somebody would feel that way, And you know, I think people have not just every right, but like it is thoroughly understandable that you would watch this and be like, I'm looking for something else. I am advocating not that this is the best way to sell tickets to an event, but it is the best way once you decide to book yet another face versus face match with two people in their forties. I think this is the right way to build it up. Because there wasn't desperation there wasn't a hot shot. People weren't breaking from their normal characters in order to try to grab people's attention. So I respect the restraint, but I also, in addition to that, genuinely like some baseline to situations where you sacrifice a crafton being super energized and engaged in order to focus on two adults acting like adults talking about a championship, having their temper tested and and you know, in reacting to some things and going into a fight. I mean, they did fight in the end. So yeah, I just I will continue to defend this, but I understand, and I'm not shocked, and I don't lose respect for you having watched this, and yeah, it's not it's not for me. Just a reminder. You can reach us at Wade Keller Post Show at gmail dot com if you're interested in contributing to the flagship or Wade Keller Post Show at gmail dot com if you're interested in submitting a question or a topic or even a rant on the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Post shows.
Speaker 6: It's more way that it's the second biggest show of the year ostensibly for the ww and so I hold the main events of these shows to a high standard like this is the culmination of a big story, or this is the blowoff of a big feud, you know, Oba and brock Hell and a Cell. Okay, that makes sense to me. This is on Summer Slam Seth and Roman. Despite my beef with how it's essentially unfolded, it makes sense to me that this be a SummerSlam match. This makes sense in the sense that they're both big stars, but in terms of like the story, it feels like it they you know, quickly rearrange the title situation to get to having their pieces ready to have this match, and then they had a couple of weeks of them saying, well, we can't circle each other forever. So it just hasn't hasn't hit for me as a main event of Summer Slam, as it would be in say, like the main event of I don't know, even the Royal Rumble, as like a main event. The Royal Rumble itself is the match people are therefore and then Ko normally gets whatever against the champion, and so, like, you know, I could see it in that slot, for instance, with the less less high requirement for there to be juiced behind the story. But for me, just for Summer Slam in particular. It feels it feels like I respect all the same things you do about two adults treating each other in a way that adults normally would, although I do feel some of these misunderstandings, blown out of proportion and passive aggressive things aren't exactly the most flattering to these babyfaces. I just for Summer Slam in particular, is I guess.
Speaker 1: What I mean too quick? Check comments and I'll get have Abby respond to what you've said, crofton if he has any to say, or he might just not. Vinnie Watkin says Cody has always been good at emphasizing the importance of the do B championship. Derek Coppert says, I don't think they needed a brawl, but I sympathize with the idea because it gives the live product climactic moment and ending to the show. And I think it was I think it was good they brawled. It's risky, you know, somebody can get hurt. You hate to say that about wrestlers, but just with you know in punk with Oh, I'm not injury prone. It just two freak things. That doesn't make me injury prone, But you know they're not getting a lot a ton of reps. They got some reps last night in a take match, and you know, things can happen. But I thought it was fine to have them fight, you know. I mean, that's that's that's what it's not just for the live crowd. I think it's you want to give people a taste of the intensity, which you don't want to give people the impression of is these do respect each other too much to go at it hard, and obviously we know they're gonna go at at full steam. Have your what do you have to say? If anything about Will Crafton's perspective has spent on this.
Speaker 3: This is probably not gonna be the only time you hear me say this to night. But one of the biggest issues I think w B has with the writing right now is not the storytelling. Is not really the you know, the positioning, baby, because and is the pacing of the storylines that you're telling. I could totally understand what you're saying, because that conversation of we're circling each other happens several times because they're buying time, they're pacing, especially for the stuff that's going on with the Roman rans and bloodline stuff is atrocious, uh, based on the storyline that they're they're that that they're telling. Because I binged everything at once, I was able to you know, crunch it, and I guarantee if you read the pro my primer on particularly the Rand situation and stuff like that, it's going to read a lot better than Magic came out on TV because of the absolute stretch that both you know, big story, both main events had with the Punk situation because it doesn't have the Punkin and Cody Road situation because you know, they're both babyfaces and it's more of a situation of like two guys who are equals and trying to see one who's you know, big brothers little brother's basically what this is, you know, so so that that makes it a lot easier to follow what's going on. But you're right, if you're if this story is it's it was. It's been like what how many weeks it's been going on and you're only getting snippets and every episode is just like a little like you know, move forward, a little move forward, movement. Little.
Speaker 1: They didn't have a ton of weeks, so Hobby, I mean, they just Punk just won the title you know, like it's it doesn't.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, no no, because remember I'm also talking about the Range one.
Speaker 1: But there's there's a difference in pacing between the two that and I think benefits Cody Punk. It's kind of my point, which.
Speaker 3: Which is why I have that when rated higher than that, because you know, because since it didn't it wasn't that much of a stretch, but you still like overlapped a couple of weeks of the storytelling that you're telling. It's worse than the Roman rants and bloodline situation. And I'm putting those together because they're the one feeds off the other. That one's been going on since Wrestlemannia I think, or at least since the Jacob Fatu Bethany uh maybe even before that. So how long has that been? And there's there's a crucial plot plot point there, which is what's caused all the issues for these for these storylines.
Speaker 1: I think it would be interesting, Hobvier to have WWE experiment for a year and do an one or two month max where they even were they're doing any pro it's just we settle it. It's one off. We're feeding wrestlers to other wrestlers. We're not going to the same people on top against each other and see what happens. I mean, just sometimes you just change the pace for the sake of changing pace. You know that in the NBA, sometimes they just go to prevet not prevent his own defense, just for the sake of like kind of shaking up the rhythm of the game because it's not going your way, or you want to throw the other team off, throw the fans off, be less predictable, give them something that feels rhythmically different to grab their attention. Go bang bang bang with feuds and challengers. And because I think there is something this sounds soft, a soft compain, there's something to what you're saying. There's more than something. I think you're onto something in that. There is sort of a feeling right now of you know, especially with the WrestleMania starting later or taking place later in the year between the Rumble and mania that's been going on in recent years, where that's become a thing. Oh, they're stretching things out more so. Yeah, I think I think there's something to that.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like the same thing I get with some less insteller streaming shows where they're making twelve episodes, right, but their budget for like the big special effects extravaganza is you know, set for the last episode, so you basically have almost like eight episodes of like nothing really happening, and then like everything happens in one episode. You know, this is kind of because you know, since they're they're they're they're booking for the for the specific date of the you know, pay per view or Saturday min event. You know, because sometimes you have like one week between those or three or four weeks, you end up stretching, you know, and repeating the same things on your weekly show just to get to the the big points at your PL's and and premium shows.
Speaker 1: I think they would argue what they do with Sammy's title reign was shaking things up, trying to pick up the pace, cram more stuff into a storyline. It's not like Eil Skindl Morgan had been feuding forever. It kind of was a tournament thing, and now they're getting a match for the title. Dan Housen and Dom we saw coming for a while. There's sort of a supporting match. Sammy and Finn just kind of came out of the blue. Trick and Corbin came out of the blue Penton Gable kind of an unlikely match. I wouldn't have expected they would do that. That's not a result of months and months of storyline. My point is kind of picking some of that stuff out, is it's not like this card is full of matches that we knew three months ago were gonna happen at Summer Slam. That said, and I say that sort of in case that's a pushback, I mean, as well, how would doubt if you respond to that. I'm like, that's not the point Hovier is making either. The point is at the top of the card. Let's pick up the pace. Let's make some of the other polysium important. Crafton jumped on in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I appreciate that discussion. And Wade, your appreciation of Sammy is always appreciated as well.
Speaker 3: So I was.
Speaker 6: I was just two last things on this before moving on on the Punk Cody segment. One, In terms of dueling catch phrases, Cody should have gone first when when doing you know, is it great to be alive and get get the crowd into it or just asking people what they want to talk about. I feel like his going second was was not was not helping him.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: And the other thing was that Punk Punk shots at Priest and Sammy in that promo were really cutting, like to the point that, Uh, I understand, he's probably you know, laying the groundwork to set up other feuds and stuff like that. But but Priests in particular is a babyface, you know, like seeing Sammy's a perpetual benchwarm or whatever is brutal. But like, I forget exactly what he said about Priest, but he was. He didn't use his name, but it was clear that it was in reference to what he said last week.
Speaker 1: And I caught him a baby did he Okay?
Speaker 6: So so I I just thought that was you know, it was It was not, I don't know, a good look for a babyface, I thought, But whatever.
Speaker 1: And I mean Punk is the one who was, you know, complain about the same people being on top. It's like, I mean, I don't know, I think you don't want he's in a bit of a glasshouse. When it comes, he's already facing I mean, it's quite a biding comment to say Punk. You know, Sammy says it. Punk's become you know, the corporate champion. What do you call corporate champion? Number two. Yeah, yeah, and you know a dig at Cody and that punk's the same thing. And I mean some people got that impression watching uh wwb unreal. He's gone to Saudi Arabia. He he's monetized. Maybe maybe he tried to boycott or fight it and didn't win. But there's cute little dolls with pipe Bump promo t shirts on there that they're marketing. I mean that's like, you know, people get mad when there's like this anti establishment rock music and then the band sells it for some you know, private equity firm trying to get you to buy some bad insurance or something like whatever. You know, like, oh, you sold out. I mean there's a lot of punk right now that is looking at his bank account and wanting to stay in the spotlight without the leverage to push back while those things and he has. We see what he's chosen, you know, for people who thought punk was authentic and to the hit fight to the end, and he'll be working indie shows before he caves into some company like TKO. Sorry, that's not going to be his legacy. People are gonna like his promos and his body of work, but you know, I mean it brings a little true So then for him to go with big people on top Punk, that's what you were saying decades ago.
Speaker 6: So I don't know, you know, could I'm just like the fact that Sammy and others are calling out the hypocrisy on TV, and I think it's been recurrent from different protagonists over the past few months. I would not surprise me to see Punk be the one that say turns heel in this feud.
Speaker 1: I'm not against it. I mean, so I Paul him imaging Punk again is intriguing, you know. I mean, who knows where the vision was going to go timing wise, if there weren't all the injuries. And I don't know how Olba exploding on the scene the way he has changes any of the calculus, but Paul doesn't have if when Brock's not around, Paul doesn't have a top top guy to manage. I think he's enjoyed managing bron Breakers so far, and that might be where he settles Logan. Paul's fun, but Logan's you know, kind of in a different spot than Oh, can you believe Logan Paul's wresting for us? He's going to be in made events now just kind of you know, when the speed of traffic right now as a top tier guy but not top top Austin Theory's doing fine obviously, but he's not like Paul's not gonna imminently make him the centerpiece of his factions as a heavyweight contender. So you have Punk kind of hanging out there and bron Breaker I think, I mean, w Unreal made him out to be this kind of cool dude, you know, just call him jilt dude who is a good athlete and whatever. So I mean, I don't know, I just you know, the scenario of either Cody or Punk being managed by Haym and it doesn't have to be Hayman managing him, by the way, but both of them intrigue me, and I think both can be great. But you're right Crofton and Javier brought this up earlier. Punk, Oh, I can't turn heal again. It's like, woah, the doth protest too much can be one way you look at that Punk would be in a maybe that's what will excite Punk, you know, I mean, I think sometimes Punk's kind of bored.
Speaker 6: It felt it's felt like that in the build up to this feud at least for me, just moving away from this uh towards Baron Corbin uh quickly because uh I.
Speaker 1: Different Baron Corbyn, says, says the announcers.
Speaker 6: So I didn't watch Baron Corban in a NXT. I know he was paired with Brown Breaker there. I know that. I think that they did quite well. But this might be the longest solo promo segment I've ever heard Baron Corbin deliver. Or maybe maybe there were other ones when he was feuding with Roman over dog food, I can't remember, but but like this was this was one of the longer ones. And uh, I think the contrast with Trick Williams did him no favors here and he he really comes across at least to me. Is I mean it sounds bad to say, like a charisma vacuum in a way like he's he's just he's just he's trying, but I just I don't, I don't feel it, and and then he's This segment felt weird to me because it was highlighting also the fact that he's getting a title shot at again the second biggest show of the year, and I guess returns are big deals kind of no matter who they are you're returning to the company? So, but like, I just felt that this segment felt a bit flat. Trick did well, like as he does. People like Trick. He had the good segment in the back with Sampunk, which I liked as well, sending up you know, possible fresh match. But but how did you guys feel Baron Corbin acquitted himself today and reintroducing himself and did you are you excited for that match at all?
Speaker 3: How do y'all go?
Speaker 1: First?
Speaker 3: I actually liked his presentation today. He does sound different from what I remember because he was like probably one of the most overly scripted wrestlers back then. Uh, and I picked up I know that that, you know, the commentary is a job is to you know, sell you and what they're doing. But it they've they've obviously sent the memo that he is more thought thoughtful, more thinking things through, and I think that the way that he delivered his promo actually worked for in that respect. It's a bit the whole thing's a bit weird because it, you know, it's kind of like the air dropped them in like O don't nowhere in the middle of you know, what was what could possibly be an exciting feed between Carmelo Hayes and Trick Williams. Obviously they want to you know, put that on pause and let other things develop. I'm not gonna say that, I'm gonna you know, any of the money I would quote unquote put down on for the pay per view would be to watch this match. But it's also something I'm not like, you know now, It's not gonna be a bathroom break match for me. So I'm I'm I'm interested in what they're gonna be doing with Corbin because they just you know, just showed up yesterday. So see what the plans are. If he's someone who we take serious, moving away from the you know, dog food days like you mentioned, or the broke ass Corbin, and they stop the cartoonish and just have them be you know, the guy who has uh what was it like cow skulls in front of his house, uh, and then just have him be like, you know, that kind of personality. I'm fine with him not being particular charismatic, just be a beater. And I could also see him like at some point just joining with somebody as there you know, as their beater.
Speaker 7: Basically need an extra dose of positivity in your wrestling podcasts will come join me Alan furrel Over in the Progress Paradise at Pedi Torch VIP as we ask on the bright side of wrestling and focus on some of the great matches and shows from around the world, be it the US, Japan, Europe or Mexico. There's always a place for wrestlings past and the Paradise too, and we've done fun historical shows such as the We Love Liger series celebrating the glorious career of Jusian thunder Lighter and Our Eye Was There When shows where our guests will join me to talk about a classic bout that they were in attendance for. We love variety and you can expect lots of it at the Progress Paradise. Detailed PWO tors VIP subscription information and a list of all the VIP benefits is available at pterwrew Torch vipinfo dot com. And yes, all VIP podcasts are compatible with popular podcast apps on iPhone and Android devices, or you can stream them directly from our ad free VIP mobile site.
Speaker 3: See you in the Paradise.
Speaker 1: I think Trick had do Toby had Dotobe fans not turn Trick baby Face prematurely and Trick was being obnoxious with Lil YACHTI full of himself. If they found a way to take his catchy music and catchphrases and just sort of likability and had managed to just make it too much, like like almost have him watch Willow Nightgale when she's just too much and have Trick like be too much on, you know, like too much on. If they had gotten him, Baron Corbyn could be this like veteran who walks in and goes, what am I looking at? What are in the fans with cheer, Like finally somebody just walks in and a stand up to this trick Williams and and he'd be like and then you would have the announcers going, yeah, this Corbyn's different. He spent a year stacking gold medals in jiu jitsu. He's and and Barrett says he's showing veterans savviness and and Corbyn talks about you need patience, you're part of this generation that he's instant gratification and it's all flash and no substance or flash over substance. Corbyn could have been like the baby face that this era needs is just somebody just flatly, calmly telling the truth to the face of obnoxious youth, and maybe there would have been a part of the audience that would have like come on board for that. It does feel a little backwards coming into tonight. I was kind of not even all that facetiously going, who are you supposed to like here? Because Brick is sort of being more more heelish lately with Li Yachty and and and uh, if you know, the stuff with Carmelo just felt like and then Corbyn gave cut this sound bite that made him sound like he's just gonna be this you know, truth telling stage like veteran. So I don't know, I'll have here.
Speaker 3: It was what Sammy did with Carmelo, you remember, and Trick.
Speaker 2: He did it with Trick too.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's right, Yeah, yep, Sammy.
Speaker 6: That's it feels like Corbyn was cutting that promo. He's cutting what Sammy was telling him earlier this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so, I but do you like to me Baron Corbyn feels like this calm, collected, mature truth teller, not a heel that I'm super excited to boo, Like, I don't. I don't think there was a lot exciting about him or dynamic about him as he is a heel character tonight. It's just, you know, if he's the fuddy duddy, if he's the guy who doesn't want and you don't want him to be like I'm I'm boring, deal with it. But there is something about his lack of charisma that I guess you could parlay into, you know, leaning a little more into like the announcer's going, this guy is like bear going. He's showing veteran savviness and test store celebrating him winning gold medals and master's jiu jitsu. Like why if you want people to boo him, why talk about him like he's matured and grown up and gotten better during his time off, you know, Like I just sometimes I just don't think that would be like has a grasp of you get to choose what you talk about, and you should be emphasizing traits that will make people have a reaction to a match that it's designed to have. And it's not a huge thing, but it's sort of I'm kind of tote my head going, You've just made a case why maybe I want to root for Corbin and Tricks is an immature, overly flashy, full of himself guy who everything's coming too quickly for and and he's you know, getting handed too much too quick. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah you could, you could do you can say that stuff, but yeah, it would have been a smart idea to also tie it into the fact that this makes him dangerous and yeah, he you know, and he's going to and he doesn't hurt people, not to you know, not because he thinks it's a kind of almost make it a tomasco Champa kind.
Speaker 6: Of character, you know.
Speaker 1: And in Corbyn leading with or I mean trick leading with his insult in Corbyn going he's a big, bald headed Baron Corbn. It's like, you got it better than that. Yes he is big, and yes he is bald, but like, neither of those are insults. They're nothing, they're not character flaws. Like there are things in Baron Corbyn's history that you can pull for him if you want to insult him. But insulting him for two things he had no control over. Actually one he did. He finally shaved you know, what was left of his hair, and we applauded that it was a good decision. So I don't know, Yeah, I keep saying I don't know at the end, I don't want to.
Speaker 6: I don't know that he could deliver that line. And until you repeated it right now, I didn't realize that it was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the problem that you you absolutely nailed with. The issue is a trick, is that you can try to be a heal but he's so just delightfully charming in the way that he does it, and charismatic and bombastic, and he's the guy walks into the room and you're like, Okay, I like this guy that w deb didn't know how to deal with that when he first came in, and they turned too early on Sammy and there's and I don't like anyway, and now they've just given up. But I think there is a way to turn him heal. But you got to actually figure out what we'll get fans to boom, and not just kind of what will be will be and a lot of what if he does knows well what will be will be? Baron Corbet ju jitsu and he's he's patient and he's matured, and he's calm, and he's showing veterans happiness. We hope that gets fans to boo him, and it's like, you actually have control over what you say. Why don't you not say things that that make you less apt to boo him and more app to respect him and be in all of him. I just I'm yeah, it's frustrating, all right, crafting what else?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I yeah, No, I appreciate. I appreciate that I have more respect for Corbyn based on what you guys have said in what the chat's saying here as well. It's just for me, he seems still very very vanilla.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: Sammy' zain his promo to open this show with in Balor. I thought both of them did really well, and it was really fascinating to me because they're sort of twisted mirrors of each other in the sense that these are two veterans that have been battling on the main roster. And then Finn's success came early, Sammy's success came later. And it was interesting because Sammy had been positioned against these golden corporate children of Punk and Cody, and here he was against somebody who was in more his position, and I thought this was the most that he came out like a heel since he's been like navigating this character change as the last real good guy, like he's he really the way that he was talking to Finn, saying no, no, it's my time. Now, you can't have this time. This is my time, you know, and and Finn obviously not responding well to it. So I really thought that whole segment was really great. What I did not like was Gunther coming in and essentially beating up both the number one contenders. I thought, not only did that that sort of take away from their match, but when Nick all of this came out and they started brawling, it made me think Gunther was looking past Nick all this as well, so like which is I guess, kind of in his character. But again, it's Summer Slam. You're trying to sell this big match, and Gunther is not concentrating on that big match. Instead, he's concentrating on on Sammy and Finn and in fact making them look kind of crappy. So I did not like that part of it. But but I did like and I like the all this run in, and I like the fact that they were trying to sell all this is offense and the Texas Clover relief. So now at least there's one move that I can look for in the match on the weekend and be like, I know that move, that's nick Alis's finisher.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: But uh but yeah, what did you guys think of the opening segment?
Speaker 1: Javier? What do you think that?
Speaker 3: Those were my notes? The ones I love? The opening segment. I was when I'm writing the Primmery, I'm like, oh god, I don't want to write about this is just throw a match thrown in here. But the way they delivered and the work that they did, all the stuff that Crofts has said like pretty much know what what I what I was gonna say, including the my note here. I didn't like Guther basically big footing them at the end. That's about the only thing. It made. It seem like that match is unimportant, that the important that this match is that that his attack on those two is just to feed the all this which you know it is a more important match, you know. Uh granted all this in Guther, but I didn't like that idea, particularly when they're gonna be the number one contender who will be facing Cody and or or seeing Punk Necks.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: But as far as the yeah them, the back and forth with them, uh, I think this is like the most pretty much solidifies in any question anybody's mind that that same Zan's the heel uh. He's basically put him you know, he's it's because everything he was saying, while true to some extent, he made it all about himself and without understanding he was talking like prophtes side someone who's had similar situations with that. I also liked that Balor never did not go into the you know, oh they did. They didn't let me, they didn't you know, get me. You know, they didn't allow me to compete, and it was you know, you know, management was against me. I liked the fact that he didn't bring that up. So overall, I love I love that that first segment. I think someone said that they wanted like the first segment. I love that first segment was the best part of the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought it was good. I liked Finn saying I've been waiting a long time to get back here. I had this bad injury that derailed me. I've been waiting ten years to for this to come again. I mean used that against him and then had a CounterPunch. You know, you need to if you're gonna you want fans to think there's a chance either guy can win when they're presented as equals fighting for a big thing, which is a title shot. So if you were to put Finn in a position to make his case in storyline and meta that there's a chance he wins. He presented himself with some gravitas as a serious person who seriously is looking at being champion again or getting a title shot.
Speaker 2: And you do it.
Speaker 1: Whether you think it's gonna land with a double digit percentage of people or not, that's the right thing to do. And they did it. And then Finn came across as grounded and reasonable and Sammy came across as unhinged and you know, making some good points but at where you just don't want to be around him. But another way, you're thoroughly entertained by him because it's wrestling and he's a very entertaining heel. And you know, you know, Sammy, no disrespect, but it took ten years and it didn't happen, So maybe take a hint, great line, like I mean, that was just fantastic, And you know, Finn Baller came back he said, well, Sammy, took you more than ten years to even smell a championship, so maybe you should take a hint. Sammy's line was better, but at least Finn had something to come back with. And Ian Valor says, you know I got injured, im My title Rananda, you got injured because you know you got hurt.
Speaker 6: And he didn't kind of get screwed.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 6: When Finn was saying he didn't get screwed, I was like, I don't know, man, like you can make an argument. He gets put on a different show with like no notice, he gets a mystery opponent, like there is you know whatever?
Speaker 1: Anyway, I yeah, yeah, for the sake of the story, Like I say, you get to choose what you talk about, right, I think you want Finn to say I got hurt. That's why I lost the title. Sammy, you'd got hurt. You didn't lose the title because you got hurt or you got screwed, but because you lost. And then the fans chance Sammy sucks. Sammy sucks, and that's what you want from that moment. So they chose the facts that would get them the chant, which was Sammy sucks. They got it and I love Sammy. Gonio Tho's on like fighting words and if I didn't respect you so much, I'd take you down right now, like, yeah, that's just classic, Like yeah, I mean I don't know. I mean that's just Sammy gets it and he's doing a good job. But then, yeah, you know, Grunther, you know, comes out and does make them look less then, and I don't. I didn't. I didn't like that aspect of it. I think they saw it as a conduit to get oldest to run out and brawl and and have an intense fight. But if Cody and Punk are gonna do it, I don't know. I mean it's good to show fans all this can throw a punch and take a bump and has a move, So I get that, And I don't know how else you get there. I mean, there are other ways to get there. It just crossed my mind what it would be that would that would justify it, other than all this as a GM who has in his mind there's a right way to do things. Nunther shouldn't be attacking two wrestlers of a match tomorrow. Let me run out there now. I can't just yell at him, and I don't. I'm not limited to threatening fines and suspensions. I can actually beat them up for doing this. So I get I get the I get the rationale and the logic, but the side effect is Sammy and and Finn kind of look look like they were less then going into a number condemtorship match. That's the downside. And they didn't have a grilling match first. You know, had they had a grilling match would be one thing, but they you know, we're there, go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, have you. One mitigating thing was at least Goother had made it clear that he was going to go after them, that he was not going to abide a number one contender, so you know that that also alleviates things a little bit because like when it first happened, I was like really against it, and then I'm like, okay, well Gother did say I'm going to go after and ruin the match for whoever does it. And I also did like that they do get up and then go after Goother's you know, a particular battle doing the rundown, the you know, getting caught you know, on the camera, running down the ramp. So at least they got there, you know, something back, so they I think they were cognizant of that, and I think they did, you know, did some stuff to mitigate it, but it's still something that sticks in the craw where you know, you know, it does seem like they're lesser than you know, it's a lesser match than all this, and.
Speaker 1: You know that last segment you're just listening to and the next one that you're waiting to listen to, those can be one second apart. With a VIP membership, you can unlock our commercial free versions of our shows. Pw torch dot com slash go vip tells you how to do it. That's pw torch dot com slash Go VIP options exist within the Apple podcast app using your Apple account through Patreon, which, by the way, you can sync up with Spotify or just about any iOS or Android app. With a full VIP membership, you can customize the feed for individual shows and clusters of shows and themes. Go to PW torch dot com slash go vip for full details on all the options to listen commercial free and with upper tier options unlock our v I P exclusive podcast run throughout the week every week.
Speaker 6: And they looked like flies kind of buzzing around him, and he was like swatting, swatting the mob I I didn't. I didn't like that the look there, but I did think that, like before that segment, that Finn Balor looked as great as a babyface as i'd seen him look since in the judgment day. His promo was on point, back and forth. Like Sammy, we've we've he praised on the past few weeks. He's great on the mic. He really believes in his character. He sells his character. Finn has to play off that. I thought he did a great job, so just giving him his flowers there. Wait Waite's kind of thought on this, you're on mute Wade.
Speaker 1: I put my fingers. I don't want you might flow into a final topic or something that I want to throw a couple of check comments up about some about this this segment. First, Derek Mitchell says, of course Gunther thinks he's rightful number one contender. I didn't mind him big footing Sammy and Finn. It should be expected as Gunther's character. It would have been odd if he didn't attack both of them. Sean Plitch just says, I disagree about guntherro attacking it made sense for his character, And Derek said, yeah, I totally gru with you about going Through, you expect him to attack both guys. Sean adds Wade, it made total sense why he did it. They don't look less than at all. It made sense for Gunther's character. So I want to clarify here it makes sense for Gunther's character. That's not our point. I don't think anyone's made that point. Show that it doesn't make sense for him. The ideas doesn't make sense to book him in a segment that does where one guy fresh is beating up two fresh guys who are both fighting to be number contended for a world title. Does that It makes sense for Gunther, But it also wasn't needed. It's not like wait, Sammy and Finn are arguing, where's Gunther? Like no one was thinking that. It's like you weren't. There wasn't an They weren't obliged to do it to protect the integrity of Guntherro's teal character. They hed run out there and attack him. They didn't call him out. So our point isn't it didn't make sense for gun Through. Our point is by doing something that made sense for Gunther, you paid a price that might not have been necessary to tell the story with Gunthro. If you told the stories going through a different way. Is that fair Crofton?
Speaker 6: Absolutely, And like, I totally think it makes sense for the Gunther character. I just think I wouldn't have booked this. I would have booked like also, he's looking past nick All this and I get it, nick All, this is the GM, but that's the book. That's that's the match that's booked for Summer Slam. And I would have preferred, say, tonight had had this segment happened with Finn and Sammy and then following it, you know, nick All, this came out to cut a promo in the middle of the ring to like sell who he is as a wrestler, and and and uh you know you could you could even have that package that they showed backstage as well.
Speaker 1: I don't, Yeah, exactly, Luther can walk out and go enough of the past, enough of the minor league, yeah, and then beat.
Speaker 6: Up on all this, right, Like that's the match that they're trying to sell for the second biggest show of the year. So it's just again I do agree like Gunther is a character, makes sense for him to attack these guys. I just don't think that this is how I would have booked the show. To go because it makes the number one can potential next number one contenders look less than the the The last, just last topic I wanted to talk about was just Haku coming back with the m FTS. And I will be honest, I was concerned for the m f T s. I thought when they split with Solo that it might they might be joining future endeavors like it really it really did not. I'm not sure what what the plan was. And they'd already lost half their crew and and and so they had mentioned the Elders previously, and and to see uh Haku on screen as a character I think is cool and I think is something that really would have I am surprised that they didn't do more of in the first generation of the Bloodline, like have have folks come come on screen like that that were, you know, familiar with in the Greater universe, uh of the of the Bloodline. But I think this, this would be this would be good for them. I'm not sure about his mobility. He looked a little bit like, I don't know, he looks great visually, I'm not sure what his ages and how will he moves in the ring or if this isn't tall ask for him to travel around with them. I thought at first he was just going to be in that segment on the screen and not actually be there. When he was actually there, I was like, oh my god, he is going to be part of this moving forward. But I liked it. I'm wondering what you guys thought.
Speaker 3: How you well, back to the opening segment. The tongue in thing made me happy for Ballort because I'm pulling for Ballad to win on SummerSlam, but because he still has you know, he had been feuding with Tomatonga and Tala. I like, well, you know, Ballert can lose and then just go back to that feud. But because it looks like the Tongueans are moving on, I'm like, hey, now Ballot doesn't have anything, so maybe he might win. So that made me happy because I'd like for them to give him a hard you know, push and see what he can do because I think he's very charismatic. He's still got something. Maybe you know, you could go back to him winning in that you know, and and fix history, so to speak. He might be someone that you know, one of your top guys.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: So I'm hoping gets at least a chance to you know taste that as far as the Tongue is concerned.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: They obviously have. They have belief in Tomatoma. He's got charisma, he fits the stuff that they're doing, and I like that of them just going, you know, just being a straight up tag team with the caveat if they start pushing their tag team division, which has completely vanished off the face of the earth. So yeah, so so I'm I'm looking forward to what they do with them, hoping that the war Raiders get it. Looks like you're trying to do something with the war Raiders too. Only problem is that war Raiders have been around for such a long period of time that that mystique of invincibility. I know they're trying to catch catch that again, but you know it's hard, particularly when the other for on the with the July one, they did the eating thing again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Uh you know, uh a call back to the Turkey leg back during the the the Performance Center. Uh time.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Harby, are we supposed to be cheering the Tongans, attacking the war Raiders or resenting them for attacking Damian priestint our truth or something else.
Speaker 3: Uh, We're just supposed to be afraid of them, so and that and and which, Well, their aggression is supposed to be a negative trade. At the same time, the fact that they're going to stick up, you know, they're going to attack a stronger a stronger team like the Viking Raiders a positive trade. The way they're talking seems it's negative. So I think we're supposed to believe they're they're they're negative. You know they're there's meaning you know, the heels or you know the yeah. So I think I think that's why because everyone and I don't know, I don't know where the war Raiders are.
Speaker 1: I don't know that that always is the real craft in but go ahead.
Speaker 6: No, but I mean in this match specifically, like the Damian Priests and Our Truth are clearly babyfaced unless I've misread comedy. And then the the and the the Viking war Raiders are.
Speaker 1: Don't confuse me.
Speaker 6: Have been presented at as like, you know, honorable challengers. They go backstage, they meet Our Truth and Damien, are you ready to fight for these titles?
Speaker 3: Let's let's do title for title.
Speaker 6: Match, and and like so I don't like they're all good guys, and then these bad guys come in ruin the match and like beat them up.
Speaker 2: I thought they were.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: No, that I think that's the answered my question fairly. Why should we just they're talking about it sort of like carpent Hey, he has all these metals and he's a savvy veteran, Hako dangerous, you know, like he's he's one of the uh one of these these respected veterans and elder who you know, is gonna like what why are we like? Okay, they interferit in a match, like, but why do we dislike them? I mean, Tom Tama hasn't seen they turned on Solo when Solo was a heel. Sola's a face. Now is that right? I mean liked or is it too ambiguous to say when they broke up a solo?
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that. Okay, we get to talk about them. I have a lot of the you know that quite a complicated one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My point is that when they when I don't believe Tama and Tala come have come across as definitive heels, there could be something that's.
Speaker 3: Just well attach valory yeah, oh yeah, ok. Because they did they did the say, uh you know, they that he had been thinking about it and I talked to the elders and then he attacked.
Speaker 1: Them, and yeah, no, you're right, so that that is that is something I forgot I wasn't incorporating in So okay, so hopefully w does their job and doesn't leave me if I forget one angle like looking at them, going, well, they're kind of cool, they're kind of badass, Like right now tonight they were cool and badass with this elder. That's tree kind of my larger point, and so it's like, ah, you know what, I don't know, just like I'm craving them, choosing things that emphasize traits that will allow us that they'll encourage my emotions to naturally move to boo them. And tonight tonight I was like, Oh, how cool. They're bad assets. They're gonna bring the tech division back up and they're gonna shake things up. So anyway, I don't believe that I would say.
Speaker 6: Way that that is almost your reaction. There is testament to how little they have done with the war Viking Raiders, Like they essentially like the fact that you don't know what their alignment is to me makes perfect sense. Like they're barely on TV, and when they are, it's in backstage segments or now they're in triple A or they're not in you know, like so for for me, and this was I'm giving them some grace. The film show before a two night stadium pay per view, so a lot of people are on the card for that, so like, obviously they were gonna have matches tonight with people that might not normally have a match on SmackDown, or I don't think there was any build for this title versus title match, So I'm really like in terms of promotion, So I'm really glad that it was a schmas finished because if they had just given away a title versus title match that had led to the you know, one team having both titles without even advertising it or promoting it previously, I would have been very frustrated by that. But the fact that it ended, you know, it ended the way that it did and is leading to something else I think is better. And I also didn't like the idea of one team having both those those typles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was like, are they really gonna merge them? So a couple of Jack comments and then I have someone to say. Azan says the attack finvalor, Yes, we brought that up to them and give them credit. King of the North p W says, why are they hails for taking the best route to success? If you're talking about the Tongans, it should be the best route to success. Should not be attacking people outside the outside of the ring, Like you that the culture of the presentation is as dull people's senses to the idea that an attack outside the ring is actually should be frowned upon, Like there's a ring, there's ropes, you step in the bell rings and then you fight. You don't sneak attack to you know, two pairs are exhausted. I don't think that's what King of the North was referring to. But Sean Plush says, is on, they've definitely been acting heelis who knows what that would be as a whole though, and Goodfella says, I know the Viking Raiders more from NXT and Triple A, and Durrell says war Raiders are the heel. They've been shown as heels building up to this match, and they are heels in Triple A. They also shove the raft out of the way when they were double teaming, like that was a you know that like that's something generally baby face that don't do they don't. I mean, they can show a temper, but they that felt a little that's felt more like a heel spot than the than the referee was a heel So there's some.
Speaker 2: So did though?
Speaker 1: What's that so did? Priest?
Speaker 2: In our truth?
Speaker 6: They were there, there was two shops to the okay, that's what led to the DQ.
Speaker 1: Was it a double DQ? Or did presearch truth win by DQ?
Speaker 6: I don't know what they just ring the bell wide? How the hell am I supposed to know?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, but my head.
Speaker 6: Yeah I know, I I hear. I totally understand why that would be the case. Thank you, gentlemen, both for your time. Uh and uh I'll let Darell on and whoever else is is calling. Thanks for a great show. Is always great to talk to you both.
Speaker 1: Thanks Rapin appreciate it. Cheers always good. King of the North p W says what happened to the Viking experience? They dropped that name because it sounded like what somebody dressed as a Viking after a few too many drinks would say to a woman at a bar, or guy, hey, would you like a Viking experience like it? Just it sounded so it just was lame.
Speaker 3: Finisher though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's better than it being the team name, because at least it is something it's not left to your imagination.
Speaker 3: Well, you like a ride, so you know.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, all right, let's bring Derell into the conversation. Droll, welcome, good to see you, go to hear from you.
Speaker 2: What's up? All right? How y'all guys doing tonight? Enjoying y'all conversation?
Speaker 1: Good? Thanks, we try.
Speaker 2: Yeah tonight.
Speaker 8: But yeah, the piggyback on which I was just talking about, I think they were just bringing on the MFTs when they brought out Haku, just to bring a new new type of toughness in a direction for them to go into. So right now that we don't know what they are until they show us who they are, but they were just trying to go after go.
Speaker 2: Hopefully they put some emphasis back on the tag team to Bitcheon.
Speaker 1: Maybe my argument is is I don't like that two wrestlers attacking four wrestlers after they just had a match can be seen as neutral and to be determined. I think that should be a heel move unless those teams did something to you. I think that should be built into the culture and embedded and how how fans are expected to interpret things. Number two, that's not the culture of the presentation for twenty years. So the fans, of course are going to be like, these guys are badasses and they're cool. They just are they're asserting themselves. And you know what Michael Cole, like the commentary lately is rewarding heels and baby faces for things that they whatever. So my point is they're coming across as badass doing what they need to do to insert themselves into the title picture. To use Michael Cole's quote about the women's take division. So how about we like figure out what we want fans to think is honorable and dishonorable. And how about if they're gonna be badasses, let's make sure we frame them as heels. If they're gonna be babyfaces by attacking wrestlers, let's make sure that they're attacking heels who have done something wrong and they had a coming instead of just want to be cool if we did this, I want to be cool. If cops got beat up, you know, like, no, it's not cool. If there's no real world ramifications for it. It's just stupid. It's a it's a Looney Tunes road runner cartoon, you know. And Bill hits his head, but he's back in the next scene. It's stupid. This feels like they just want them to be badasses. And I'm an advocate, and almost every circumstance, let's let's give people a reason to either cheer and root for them or root against them. And tonight I didn't see that. And wherever they land, there's going to be things that are contradictory because they're cool badasses who are about to kick ass, and they got Hakku in their corner. To me, it's why the road where's in nineteen In the mid nineteen eighties and the eight wa the fans cheered them because they're cool badasses. They're supposed to be heels, and fans are like, oh, we like these guys. Ho Cogan came in as a hilt at Awa before Hocmenio was born, and fans like, this guy's pretty charismatic. He's a movie star. Let's cheer this guy. So I don't whatever they're trying to do, if they're even thinking it through, they might not have a choice. The fans might cheer them. I don't want to be a baby face opponent to them right now, I'll put it that way.
Speaker 9: Hey everyone, long time PW Torch commist Sean raddikin here to let you know I've rebamped and renewed their Atticant Worldwide podcast for twenty twenty six, a weekly VIP exclusive. Every week, I break down four or five of the biggest trending topics in pro wrestling. I also present my analysis, providing insight that helps you understand the story better or see it another way. Then maybe is the controversial takeout there? Then I bring on a special guest for the second half of the podcast. Sometimes it's a wrestler or someone else who works in the business. Other times it's a guest analyst who brings their specialized point of view at a particular key topic in the news. Recent guests have included Bronson Reid from WWE and PCO. One of my areas of specialty is the Japan wrestling scene, so I often cover a big topic from Japan with PW Torch, his own, Alan Farrell, Kelly Wells, and Chris Lansdell. I don't just cover the news. I don't just riff on the news. Or give a standard hot take. I bring my decades of studying this industry and talking one on one with dozens of wrestling promoters to each week's show so you understand not just what's happening, but the context of why get ahead of the news, get ahead of the pack with radicking worldwide only at PW Torch Vipe.
Speaker 3: I don't think there. I don't think there are any like baby faced teams for really, you know, for you really get to get to them to particularly SmackDown. I mean, uh, Priests and and and Our Truth are just like a tack team of convenience for the time being, long convenience, but that's what they are, you know. I'm I'm already I'm already missing the machine gunsters. Those are people that you could actually have gotten people to cheer for against the Tongans. But I don't see any other group except for maybe uh maybe street profits.
Speaker 8: Yeah, maybe give them to be bad asses and just bring team out the team after them, and like you were saying earlier, way one match, to give people one match, one few and just keep going on until you can build something up that feels like a robbery, because that's a story to be told to see who they who can build up to fight them, to push them to something else in the Northeast.
Speaker 1: As Kenny says, you have to attack people in this company title matchic because you don't earn those by winning matches, and sehn Plitch just says, please just define who they are. Daurren Mitchell points out, by the way that for those wondering how Ku is sixty seven years old while we're at it, just hang out a second, Durell. We had a super chat that I want to honor and get to not too late, Derek said earlier, Thank you Derek for the super chat. Everyone's about a super chat after this weekends to night SummerSlam. There's a Sunday Night main event on September six, Money in the Bank on October tenth, and then Survivor Series War Games on November twenty eighth for the remainder of the year. So things lighten up to a degree after this early Summer Slam. And then was there another super chat? Yeah, Derek Mitchell, thank you again, Derek, super generous, appreciate it. I'd like to see Cody turnheel one day and not wait almost twenty years like Sina did. An elimination chamber, and it fizzled after that. I wish I put that in earlier. Maybe we'll cover that again later, Derek, because yes, you don't want to wait too long, but you know I'm in no rush. But there is something compelling about Cody in his prime being a heel because I think he has an enemy's been resistance, So don't wait too long. Make some money with it, and have it be when Cody's still good and it's not like a desperation move. But I also don't feel there's a rush. Do you want to comment on that and then get back to whatever you're gonna Saylor was.
Speaker 2: Yes, I sure would.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't mind seeing Cody as a heel, but when it comes to just changing him, I need somebody who can feel it in his spot. And once he go here, you need a face or babyface who can rival him to a point. So don't be something quick and then you don't get the fans turning him back babyface, because now you done got it. He seemed more cooler now because he's a heel and stuff like that. I don't want that back and forth. I want them to have somebody who can take his spot, and then when you turn him over, he could be he'll and have somebody to go against and compare contrast will and let him be the only person who turned the whole year. If they go and he's the only person who turned that whole year and it's the only turn their whole year, they'll be good with me.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 1: Another super chat from Derek based on the two world title matches that summer Slam Cody versus punkin Roman versus Seth, I'm fairly certain that neither champion will drop their respective titles. Derek, thank you again for the super chat. Mean not very much, so Punk and Roman retain. I mean, how you I haven't ready your piece, but that's I think we've indicated that's where you're leaning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have Yeah, Punk and Roman. I do have a scenario for Seth winning though.
Speaker 1: In your column. Yes, let's tease that. Read it in the column we got We're running along. There's a reason to read your column beyond that. But that's a good hook. I'm looking forward to reading that later. D You better added it. You better reset a revise copy for that promise. Joe, what do you think?
Speaker 8: M Yeah, I think they both retained right now, you got something with Punk and tonight, you start building stories for after SummerSlam with what you allowed Punk to say in the ring and what he was doing backstage, like when he met up with Trick and stuff like that. He's been building stories for himself and that title also, and I liked that portion of And that's something that I wanted to talk about, was the stories. I think tonight with Punk, they was able to tell a story that for further that match, that made it more appealing. But they also with him told stories for after SummerSlam that you can go into even with if let's say Sammy Win or Finn Wins or something like that or whoever. I liked what they did tonight, and that's what I want them to get back to instead of being all meta and saying the other things. I want to get back to that is not the wrong with that, and making the title feel important, the title feel important that now that match even more feels even more important.
Speaker 3: Javier, I was, yes, Courty, I did write it into sorry because I had to do. I don't want to disappoint anybody good.
Speaker 1: What about Drell's point?
Speaker 3: What was I'm sorry here?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah?
Speaker 1: Reading on peace. I'm trying to let him go first on this.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry it happens. I tried to do two things at once. I can't walk into goms.
Speaker 1: Sean has a super chat hold on Drell. Everyone, GOVI, IP and Derek please call in one of these days. SummerSlam can be very good, and try to truly hope it delivers. Give EO and live enough time. Thank you Sean for super chat. Much appreciated. All right, Drell, you've got your thoughts. Hobber is paying attention. What would you like Hobby Arder respond to? And then I will also ultimately chine in the.
Speaker 8: Story that they were telling tonight, the resetting of the story, how they used punk to increase the story with him and Cody and set a story for that title that he's holding and he probably hold out the SummerSlam and stores going forward with that because he built up stores all night with new challenges and everything.
Speaker 2: How you feel about that, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean particularly since they they've set up I mean seampunk get a good thing where he when he listed all the people he wanted he wanted to face, so that already has your idea that you have the trick Williams crossover particular since he already has a title and they played the whole idea of you know, two boats trick all that stuff, you know, like likes been mentioned before. It makes the title seem as the goal that that's important. They had done that a lot when it was the title on raw, and yeah, it makes it makes the title important, the thing with a raw because you could also have it where the guy is important. So Okada in New Japan for example, he was a champion, and so it wasn't just winning the title, it was also beating Okada, you know, with Roman Rands in his long run, it wasn't just winning the title. It was also beating Roman Rands. So it's one of those cases of like you know, sometimes it's sometimes the title makes the man, sometimes the man makes the title kind kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I talked earlier about it quite a bit drill, but yeah, I like we saw in a w you know, a multiple challenge the champ he them, you talking about multiple challengers lining things up. I think they have made us and think about Cody Punk being important not just because of Cody Punk, but because we have in our mind potential matches afterwards and they're completely different depending on who wins. I don't know that we're for sure going to get a clean finish and move right onto it like good Fella' says Trick versus Punk. I'm here for I think there is an excitement to see fresh matches and fresh opponents, and they're teasing us with it, and I think they ought to deliver on that. Anything else you want to say on Natarrell or respond to.
Speaker 8: Oh no, no, not really, I can go because this transition to the next thing, I think they should go ahead and put the the interim title back on probably Jade because right now that women's division, she has been the division, even though they had Ria off TV. She has been the circuit, the piece that everybody can circle around, the sun that everybody can go around. And also she has made it to a point where you got people who really cheering for Charlotte and want to see Charlotte being do something that they've been trying to do with her for years and make her feel like a babyface. And I think you have a challenger with stories to tell where Charlotte can be chasing her even though if you're gonna do the interim champion versus the champion. If even if you let Jay win and give Grill some time also she can heal completely. You got a ready made story of Charlotte chasing her and then once a Lexa Blizz come back, there going another challenger until you can continue to do challenges in stories.
Speaker 2: That's what was the theme for me tonight.
Speaker 8: That's why I want to see and they gave them a big showcase outside of everybody else who in that match, that ladder match, it seemed like those two were the biggest stories of that match, which I think.
Speaker 1: It made me think watching that would Summer Slant how much stronger woul SummerSlam Field. They didn't just have a five or six person ladder match for some phony title that we don't need. Instead, it was just Charlotte jed, No title needed. That could have been the step no champion Chip needed. It's just an epic match between these two made for posters, superstars in the women's division. Jade's an example of somebody who fans kind of wanted to cheer, but they found a way to get her booed, and Charlott's an example somebody fans kind of wanted to boo but they found a way to get her cheered. You can steer people, and I think the Fabin Mechen have helped in that regard, and obviously Lexa Bliss has helped Charlotte. I think that match in the angle they did tonight, maybe me want to see a one on one match with them. Javier on this topic, Yeah, we're going to get to that.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's gonna be for the championship or the interim Championship. I think they're gonna both take each other out of the match, and I'm thinking that it opens up to either Chelsea for a feel good kind of kind of thing or Lash Legend. That's why I had to wait for this to come out because I think I think that whoever it comes out, I because the I think the reason to go with the interim thing is because I think Ria is gonna come back rather soon. Is she just couldn't make it to SummerSlam. So I'm thinking if with if you know last Legend is someone you know, you can put it on her, see what she can do, and then just have Rea beat her, because I think ultimately we're gonna end up seeing a champion versus champion EO versus versus Reha down the road. So I think it's just gonna be a you know, I think this is just gonna be a whoever it's gonna win. The interim is Legit just gonna be a interim title. And you can see what you got with last legend in that case particular, since Naya Jacks was screwed over twice over the whole situation. That's hero taging partner. So you know you've got stuff you can do there. So that's why I have I have a Green as my number, as Green and Lash as the two most likely to come out of that.
Speaker 1: So in the chat, good Fellaw says, gimme Chelsea please, a short run is fine? Good Fellaw says, yeah, Jaden Flayer take each other out. Sean Plitz just says, yeah, I'm okay with that. Chelsea is just a blast piledriver pizzas. I'd be so happy for a Chelsea Green Toad to run no matter how long. Pilderver petad she could, she could and would break about being a former champion forever. Sean plitchten notes, if Charlotte has a match like that, you better deliver, because her TV matches have not been good. Goodfella says let her be the Queen of handling press, meaning Chelsea give her respect to I'm a big fan of her art, and Mafay says the Chelsea Chat, you all are getting my hopes up. Okay, how do we reconcile all that hope with how they treated her in the tag match of Tiffany against Meechen and Bfab where in seven minutes she was kinda like not treated as a as a serious you know, a serious threat, and Barrett said it was basically a mugging. They're not framing her as like somebody you would expect to be champion. Now, sometimes that can be a feature, not a flaw in how they frame somebody. But I don't know. I mean, haber is is, would Chelsea just seem like a fluke champion and she can't even believe she's holding it and it's just a matter of time before she loses it? And that would be the story because they're not exactly telling a story in the ring of Look she's getting better, look at that move, she's man handling the bigger Beefab like the commentary is and telling that story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it'll be a Fluke, you have drama between her and Stratton because now you know they're they're I don't buy the fact of Stratton as she's her friend, so you can have jealousy there, you know.
Speaker 6: And what is.
Speaker 3: Haber?
Speaker 1: Do you think you missed a chapter there by the way, like in Tiffany suddenly just loving Chelsea as her best friend because feels like I missed the chapter two.
Speaker 3: And yes, because I actually had to go back and fix the primer because I wrote like I wrote that are they you know? They have like sort of like almost a budding friendship kind of cup coming out and they came out and matching, and the commentary was like, oh, yeah, they're best of friends. I'm like, it's something.
Speaker 1: It's like a like a guy asks a some woman out and it's like she's like, I don't know. And then they go to first date and like how was it? I'm not sure? And then you see her the next next week day at work and she's like, oh, here's my wedding invitation, Like where did that come from? You weren't sure about this guy like twenty four hours ago, Like Tiffany wasn't sure about her a week ago, and suddenly they're just playing patty cake and delighted, delighted with each other's company.
Speaker 3: So I'm glad, I'm I'm glad I was not the only one for juses, I binged everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep. Before pushing play on the Waight Keller Pro Wrestling post shows, check out pw torch dot com and our TV review section and skim through a full rundown of the TV show if you didn't see it. That's your way to get an overview of what happened before you dive into our in depth analysis of the key happenings on the show. That's pw torch dot com. You're home for a lot. I have TV coverage every Monday, Wednesday and Friday with my TV Reports, and also check out our NXT and Impact coverage on Tuesdays and Thursdays, our Collision reports on Saturday nights, and of course our live pay per view and PLE coverage on weekends, all waiting for you at PW torch dot com. All right, uh D comment out of that or or move on to whatever you want.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and I think they're going to use that friendship as a story that they're telling with Blake Monroe coming at tiffing and beating both of them up and using that as something that she can use.
Speaker 1: Well, they that was that felt like that was going to lead to a chapter that was missing before they just suddenly were besties. That's the point, Like I get, there's a they definitely were telling that story. And then it's like, I mean, yeah, like I would. Did I put the bookmark in the wrong place in the book the last time I set it down? Is what I thought when all of a sudden they're just best friends, and I'm like, maybe it was online and I'm supposed to have seen like a whatever, No, it not huge deal. It's just kind of I'm to one pointing that out. But I thought, howvier speeding through stuff or not speeding but you know, catching up. People be like, wait, did I miss something because it's all fresh in your mind.
Speaker 3: I thought I did too.
Speaker 8: I'm like, you know, hey, I've been watching it and I and I thought I missed something. I thought somebody took a couple of pages out of the book and I don't. I didn't know it was ever there.
Speaker 1: But maybe it's insincere and that's part of it. And Chelsea's being taken right by the way. Chasey Scooby says Chelsea would win a ladder match and be champed. They'd both uh, they both he and when she didn't win money of the banks several years ago. Not sure what we're just missing there. Pother for Pizze says Chelsea's in ring is not the best, but the people have chosen her and uh. Sadler says, Chelsea's a great character, but is she a top champion material. It'd be like our truth winning the doub to be title, if we're to be honest in okay fabe, Yes, it's it's.
Speaker 3: The interim title, so it doesn't really that's that's how you get away with giving it to her.
Speaker 1: Well, yes and no, I mean I get what you're saying in a certain sense, but it's still Chelsea holding a title that she won. But if you say, well, in a ladder match, you can win by fluke, And the story is she's interim champed because she want to match with the fluke when everyone else just knocked each other down, and she's holding it like I can't believe you, Like you know, like a T shirt gets thrown into a crowd and some lady wasn't paying attention. It's just, oh, I got the T shirt, Like she almost look at it like where did this come from? But I'm delighted by it. And then then the story is, yeah, she's not gonna keep it and and somehow she manages to until Tiffy turns on her or something because Tiffy's jealous. I don't know. Now I'm getting way ahead of myself. Let's see Tiffany. Derek Mischer says Tiffany was putting off Chelsea like Warren Winslow did to Steve Erkele on family matters. That's for other people to uh get, because I don't all right, Sadler says, it's it's still Chelsea being top Champ interim or not. That's kind of my point. It's like you're still you can say the title doesn't matter as much, so it's not part of the lineage, but it's still a story you're telling for somebody that wins. But because of the latter match, she's not beating Jade one on. I don't know. I'm I am not against it. I am more trying to temper too much hope, but I don't know. It could be they're trying to throw you off the scent. Somebody said that, Yeah, Sean Pusher said, taking you away from the scent wade. So there we are, all right, what else for us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so y'all cover really all the topics. I like the thing with Nick. I like the.
Speaker 8: And then with some of them videos from tn A and stuff like that. But I think you and Todd talked about this the moment that Nick all this need. I think we got that tonight when he was able to amp up a little bit and then put the cold leaf on on on Guta. I think that was much needed. Then you've seen the crowd op that and get behind him, and that was needed and they did it at the right time. So outside of Guta coming in there with in trying to big nose the the number one contender, guys that they was needed for him and that made that match even bigger.
Speaker 1: I liked a lot. I liked the video. I liked I liked the video package. I liked the that he showed he can go, he can fight, and I and I like in the in the video. I liked him talking about like I wanted to be the best GM, but it's not. You know, he did cover the base like I am a wrestler and I can still be a wrestler. I thought it was it was Javier, did you speak on that yet, like did the actual words he gave? And did were you craving this? Like I was this moment with all this establishing him in current cannon with current viewers who he is and what he's done. And I thought they did just enough and not too much.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I was because I also listened to Fix earlier that I was actually thinking, wow, way way did Tyner to be happy? Because it filed filled both of the things that they wanted from it, So yeah, I had that fun.
Speaker 1: Did you also want it?
Speaker 3: I didn't need it, but I appreciate it and it does add to the actual to the actual stuff that's going. The only thing was a little bit weird was when they're doing the package the way that all this is. I've won some championships. The way it was it was kind of like very meet Like I don't want to draw tension that I watch championships that were not the WWE one because I don't want to, you know, give any respect to any other company at what championships said that was, that's kind of like where I read into that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, I was, I was. I was fine with it. I mean I I probably would have come up with something slightly more elaborate, but I don't know if it would have served the goal any better than what they did with you know, twenty fourst notice I guess or yeah, so anyway, yeah, go go ahead draw.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I liked it at all. This was needed, he needed this. You can even go back to this match after word, because yeah, yeah, I like that. But that was everything. Y'all talked about everything, and just a preview. Can you give a preview of what y'all think about Night one? Mostly guys, tonight was on its own Night one.
Speaker 1: We're going to that after we're done with your call. We're gonna I'm gonna throw it hoppy air and we'll kind of bounce off each other a bit. So gotcha that's coming up. Yeah, thanks to all, no problem, appreciate it, awesome all right. Sue. By the way, quick comment here, good Fellow says think Nicole the should call his insurance company and see what his policy on chest damage is.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Gene Albert says the only when to ours tonight was a reason for that. They've been to hours for a few weeks. They every six months they switched between two hours and three hours, and it is permanent, uh, permanently until the end of the year, a two hour show. But I understand people being thrown off by that. Yes, it's it's moving along, uh quickly. Seven eleven says Night one is easily the more must see show for me. One might say the only musky show of the two. If you only had budget to go to one night and you had bought tickets for night two because you thought they always make that better, you might be seeing what you can get for it on the secondary market and move into moving to night one. Sean Plush says Night two can be sneaky good, but Night one is definitely way better. Dereck Mitchell says people are gonna be surprised that Nick All this is physique, the way mister McMahon looked jacked against Stone Cold in nineteen ninety eight. Yeah, I'm curious. Does he just show up in boots and trunks. Is he just like Nick Backman, go out there, no frills, just maybe a bring jacket or something, or does he wear a suit because maybe he's not in his the shape he once was, and he's insecure about it. What do you anticipate, how your.
Speaker 3: No, I think he's gonna come in dressed like he usually does, with the long trousers and the.
Speaker 4: You do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah right, I think he has his right. He'll come on as regular get up. Yeah, yeah, let's let himself go. I mean, he looks he feels out that that his his suit off. Well, so I'm assuming he's in He's.
Speaker 1: In good shape, all right, So we'll wrap up just kind of going semi rapid fire. But I know you've got some stuff to say about some things we haven't gotten to on tonight's show. By the way, actually, let me just look on tonight show. I just won't see if there's anything else we didn't cover heavier that you that you want to talk about that we haven't yet. I'm scrolling through as i'm talking, and it does look like we covered everything except Ray Phoenix and jad McDonough and then maybe your quick thoughts on that and also just Julia losing so decisively and kind of being sort of buried or to find down so quick thoughts on those two, and then we'll get to the preview.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the Julia thing. I mean, she they she hasn't really worked on the places that they've given her. I don't think they else haven't given her the same like treatment that they've done some of the people that have issues speaking I I send her to NXC maybe for a bit, and then bring her back. I don't think she's you know, I think she's a good worker. So and you know, give her some time an NXC or something. Let people forget and give her another shot if you can do that. But I don't know, maybe she might be one of the ones in the cunning blocks. How about j d uh and the j D thing? Well, I mean more the Phoenix thing is is like for for about five minutes into the match before I realized that that was Ray Phoenix not Dragon.
Speaker 1: Late it's not because if I think about it, I can tell that it was what brand what Night, But like, they don't do enough to differentiate them where you're just so you just go with your first thought.
Speaker 3: And Lee's mask has become more like Phoenix's mask too. It's not as draconic as it as it used to be. So that's why, you know, because that's what we obviously what you're looking at looking looking at But but yeah, I mean that it was fun. You know, that was that was your your work rate match. Uh, you know, and it was it was fine. But you know, it ultimately means nothing, I hate to say for what we're talking. Yeah, okay, except for the downhouse and stuff, but we'll talk about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, so that'll be built in here. So let's talk about ninety one. I'll steampunk Cody Roads. Anything you want to add to that, the hype or I think that one we spent a lot of time in that.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: So Oba and Brock the match you're looking most forward to, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: It's it's not I'm not looking forward to this as much as it was Winter first encounter. W sometimes says that when they try to go to the well way too too many times. Uh, And I don't think they need hell in the cell for the type of rest as they are. But hey, you know, you know, particularly you're not gonna get really violent, which is something we don't do anymore. But other than that, I mean, it's it's I'm excited because it's gonna be the the crowning of of Oba Fami. It's all about you know, making ob a family, the next massive star, so that's what I'm excited for.
Speaker 1: Yep, is there what what what happens with Brock is Oba beats Brock Brockworth of the Ring Obah's music plays, and that's it? Is there a moment where they transition to something else? And maybe this is a Lesner babyface turned because he's in his hometown, so maybe there's some help. He says, I respect you. He raises his arm. Fans like, oh my god, watch out Ova, and Lesend goes no, seriously, this guy's the next big thing, crowns him. Fans cheer where they have a dual moment together. Paul hmeans like what are you doing? And like, I mean, I'm just there's different scenarios and I wouldn't bring it up except for two reasons. We had the the leverage, fake pseudo retirement thing that sort of Lesner said was like kind of thought I was retired, but then I couldn't let that be the last thing. But it's sort of hiding from what it probably really was a little negotiating hot shot. So you have that, you know, like, okay, are they going to try to have a moment with Lesnar that kind of reframes things. And mostly it's in Minneapolis. It's in his home market. That is not the same stadium, but it is the same spot on on a map where he I was in the Metrodrome and watched him play a preseason game for the Vikings, you know, in a Viking uniform, Like that's there's history here with him and the Vikings and him in Minnesota. If you were going to try to turn him in order to tell it story with somebody else down the line, I've thrown that out there as something that's just in the back of my mind as a possibility. They might think it's so anyway, I'll throw you enough enough of me talking.
Speaker 3: About Yeah, I don't think they're gonna move to to another story. Uh whoever showed the the upcoming pay per views, I don't see him slotting into that. So he'll he'll go back to his farm time being. So I the question, the big question, there's no drama that. I don't think there's any drama that ob family is not winning, you know, you know, so I think that that's fate of complete the The big question is what you're mentioning is like what what what's up with brock Lesner, I do think he'll I think what will end up happening is we're leaving one of those where he leaves and thanks, you know, thanks the crowd and everything. I don't think they'll they'll he'll completely show, like you know, leave the boots and make it like a big dramatic thing. But I think he'll leave you with an in with with a the impression this might be the last time we see it see him, but leaving the door open if he wants to show up on a Saudi show or next year to WrestleMania.
Speaker 1: I think, who do you want to see him against? If or who do you think they think they can market him against either whatever whatever happens this weekend, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, if you could get bron Breaker, I'd look for the who are gonna be your stars for the future. Would brock Lesler, Leather from Breaker? Maybe Trick would probably be the top thir obvious you're putting Oba fem over on this and off chance if you want to get another match with Brandt because I think I know brands I think is kind of like a semi retirement tour.
Speaker 1: Two yeah, Powder of Pizza, Jessico, Oh.
Speaker 3: Goother yeah, goother because Guther would make sense if he's the one who retires them. I don't know if Lesnar is up for LA because altimately could be his decision whether they do.
Speaker 8: That or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, you can't say retired from full time competition because he did that years ago. All right. Uh So going from there, Live Morgan and Eel Sky Women's World title match. I think this will have a huge, genuine baby face pop for el Sky, who who you know, punches above her weight. In terms of the genuine positive reaction she gets is more than daboab is even seems like they're hoping for or planning for people just like her. She's really good. Yeah. Any thoughts on on what you expect here? Does she just win and then we get to like you said, maybe Rhea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh io I have ill winning. Uh The only question mark is if they because I think the care is due back. If they want to go back to Live and the Care with the title involved, they could do it without the title so that Steph you can can get her revenge.
Speaker 6: On on her.
Speaker 3: I was thinking that Lyra because I actually wrote that Lyra could be an opponent for you know, Sky, but it looks like Lyra has been more eyeing the the the interconcent Champion.
Speaker 4: Are you a fan of AW looking to sit back, relax and listen to some like minded podcasters who share your passion. Do you want to be topped off the ledge after a segment that has you wondering what the heck are they thinking? Do you want to join a discussion on what AW is doing right and what they could do to improve? Then join me Joel and me Greg for the All Elite Conversation Club every Friday on the pw torch Live Cast. Fee search pw torch in your podcast app and subscribe to pw torch Daily Cast or streamer shows directly from pw torch dot com.
Speaker 6: Find full details on the pw torch Daily Cast.
Speaker 4: Lineup at pw torchdailycast dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, then, six men l A Knight solo Royce against the Bloodline.
Speaker 3: This was the one. I have some stuff to say because this is the one I was talking about that it's taken forever. And the problem with that is that the piece that is missing is Roman Rains a hill over face because when he reforms the Bloodline, right, the question is, we haven't really seen whether the blood Lines are going to be interfering in his matches or not, which is intrigue wise, the Roman Reigns seth rawlins matches. One's most intriguing to me because of whether the bloodline is going to get involved in that match or not. If it's not and it's fair play, then we can safely say that this is a new version of Bloodline where they're not going to get involved in each other's matches. So in which case they're they're the babyface because Ellie Knight, who's one of the one who's saying, hey, these are the people who screwed us over. He's basing his stuff on the stuff that happened previously. So is he correct? Is his animosity towards Jaye and Jimmy and the rest of the bloodline correct? Or is he paranoid? As they've mentioned before that Domino hasn't dropped right Solo. They're going after Solo to bring him back into the family. Solo's obviously making you know you meant you you had asked, is Solo a babyface or not? Solo is basically manipulating or not manipulating. He's making the enemy of my enemy is my friend with Keys and Ella Knight, where again, depending on where the bloodline Domino drops, I think will solidify whether he is a babyface or a heel. Same thing with Keys, because Key's hole gimmick is that he's from ends with Jacob and he doesn't like seeing Jacob cow tewing to to to reigns in the bloodline. So again, all this stuff that's individual makes sense, but until you get that is the bloodline a heal faction or face faction, It depends on whether Ellie Knight, He's and everybody else involved or right or wrong. So I'm interested in the storyline, but the problem is that I just binged all of that and that's what I got out of it. If I'm watching it across the span, I think it's been three months at least that this has been going on, and you don't have solidified who's on what side, and you're just seeing stuff happen. You're there's nothing going on. So while the story itself for me compacted, I understand and it works for me. Not everybody's gonna binge it over, you know, binge what is it like? Almost twenty hours of wrestling over the span of two days, you know.
Speaker 1: So I mean, you know, and you you are also asking a question that may not be one that they have any interest in addressing, because and I do this has been booked in this you know, it's ambiguity leads to ambivalence. The crowd like selling night, but other than that, they're just looking around, going I kind of want to pop for Solo, but I like Jay, and I kind of want to pop for La, but I kind of liked you. It's just a mess. And then poor Royce Keys is part of this ambiguous situation where he's opposite that USO's and Jacob, who fans actually really like most of the time they love, you know, Jacob's the badass, Jay's the you know, and all of a sudden Royce has to be opposite of them trying to get himself over and he's getting no response because so this has just been a mess. And so I do not have and I'm not saying you have faith, but I believe I have even less confidence in you that there is going to be something that happens that may makes sense and addresses who's the because I don't think there is anything that I can come up with that will look back and go, oh, that was what they were planning all along, and it was a good decision, and now all the cards are in place. I haven't. I haven't. I haven't meditated on a mountain about it. So maybe there is something you know like that I'm not thinking of. And and my my argument is, I'm hopeful that they are cognizant of how unbearably ambiguous and contradictory our emotions are watching this and it's and it is a necessary evil to get to a payoff that will make us go it was worth it. I don't know what that is, but I hope that they don't think this is just good compelling storytelling, because whoa nobody knows what to think. Isn't this great? We're all just yelling at each other, Ela and I's getting genuine Pops. Don't undercut that with a heel turn. Jacobot two people love, Let's get to it, whatever gonna do. He should be your one of your top three baby faces in this company. And I would push him at the expense of of spending Roman reigns as a top babyface act and turning in full fledged heel. But I don't think it's a horrible decision not to turn Roman rains heal. But to me, I think it's juicy. I think Baby Faced Jacoba two haven't enough for Roman. That's a story I want to watch. I don't is it best for business. That's a whole you know, we can have a whole side discussion on that. But and then the USO's it's like they got to choose what they're gonna be. They're just like they're just they're bouncing around. Jimmy was a levelhead of one, then he's not. Jay is happy, go lucky, yeat, and now he's like, yeah, he's kind of petty and and abrasive solo we don't know, but he's kind of entertaining when he's you know, riffing on people. So I kind of like him, but maybe he'll betray night. None of that to me, I'm not sitting here going, Okay, it's one of these two or three scenarios. I don't see any scenario that makes sense of any of the of the journey we've been on hoavier And I think it's it's part of that that issue without to be where there's just too much dismissing of the idea that you know what, maybe we should be a litle more clear about this, because I do think people don't want to dispassionately watch things. I think they want to be in. They want to be invested in in an outcome.
Speaker 3: Well you and you you you mentioned that the faith I have in it. What puts me more on your level is also the fact that they are also changing on the fly too, because I usually, you know, I don't like bringing up rumors when I read online and the social media is unless it's unless the only rumors and stuff that you bring because I know the work that you do. But you know, they they right now they're talking about like how with the baby face reaction that Sola has been getting that they might stretch that they weren't expecting that they might stretch that out. The reason he's getting that baby face reaction is because since people don't have they're not attached to the character. Because the characters are ambivalent, you really can't be attached to Yeah. Well no, I think a building also works because like Elle Knight, he respected Jay, but now that he's back with the bloodline and he thinks that the bloodline is the same thing as bloodline one point, oh, he's afraid the bloodline one point, oh, is gonna be a problem. We don't know if he's if it's true or not, we don't know if he's mistaken. So we don't know whether yeah, you're you know you're right because the bloodline is bad or or no, because you know there's a different there's a different flavor bloodline. So you don't know whether you want to be cheering for Elle Knight to get you know what he what? You know what what he wants to do. You don't know if you know. Because Jacob Fattou is sticking with Roman because he lost honorably. He's doing an honorable thing. That's a babyface thing to do, to follow the honor, even if you're working for a bad guy, because your your words, more is more, more, your your your your your bond, and Key's is trying to take him away from that. Now is gonna is the reality? Rain is gonna be a good influence on Jacob Fatou because you know, he was a technically good influence on Jay J. Became an event because of what Roman did. So is Jacob Fattou getting put under Roman's wing a good thing for him? Well, then Hey's wrong for pulling him out. So again, until we know what it is, people are not going to be invested in whether you want to see Keys succeed in pulling out Jacob or not. So because you don't have any strong feelings on whether you want who you want to succeed. Because you don't know what their ultimate motivations are, you're left with only cheering one of two things, the story, which is muddled, so you can't cheer the story either. So what you're left is who's entertaining Memore Right now, Solo's the one that's most entertaining with his goofiness. So I'm now I'm reading on line. Half of the stuff I get from wrestling Twitter is oh, you got to keep so Babyface. If they turn him back, he'll be stupid. Everyone wants them to be Babyface because he's.
Speaker 1: Charming, like you said, yeah you know, and and I don't go no, go ahead.
Speaker 3: And Elle Knight because La Knight cuts great promos. You know, those are the people they're cheering for.
Speaker 4: You.
Speaker 3: You know, keyses out in the out in the cold because he's not the same love of promos as the other two. Plus we don't know him too well, so that's why he's getting tapid reactions, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So this what this comes down to is you know, I had a YouTube short up on this. It kind of said it like, W should just figure out who do you know? They're fan based enough to know who do they like, and then position them against people who who fans don't like. Amplify without needless contradictions.
Speaker 2: What it is.
Speaker 1: It makes people dislike some of your wrestlers and like other wrestlers. It shouldn't be solo is entertaining. That's kind of the john S and I hope we entertained you tonight, where fans feel entitled to be entertained and they think it's their job to sit in the stands and decide how what entertains them the most, and that's what they're going to root for. And it's a layer removed from that buy in, which is I just want to see Sammy Luz, you know, like I just want to see Sammy win in Montreal. I want to see Sammy Luz. Now that's the peak fan experience and W shouldn't lose their way because they're on Wrestling Twitter constantly and they're thinking what will entertain the fans the most. They're answering what will entertain the fans the most is not option A or B. It's over there behind the curtain, which is something else entirely, which is not what's most entertaining, But it's who are fans predisposed to like, what can we do to amplify and intensify that so that they want to pay money to see them win? And then the opposite with the heels, So that should not be Solo's entertaining. Let's keep on baby face. The story should be what's a good story that we're telling that's going to lead to a heal face dynamic, And that might mean muting some things that are entertaining about solo. Entertainment is not the goal, even though it's in the name of the company.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: It is getting fans to buy in and be emotionally invested in an outcome. That might mean muting some of the things that are entertaining about some of these wrestlers. So anyway, m.
Speaker 3: Okay, moving on, Okay, the goal should have been I think the goal should have been once uh Rams won the title, the goal should have just have been at the blow lack together, you should have gotten the actual fans invested in wanting to get everybody back back back together, and that's been lost because I think, ultimple, that's what you want, you know, uh, you know so so, and that's been lost because now you don't because because they want to complicated. I think to buy time. I think that's what they're doing. They're buying time to get to the position. But the problem is that the one question that had the mystery box is they like calling it in Hollywood the mystery box. It's been an entire season and we don't know what's in that box.
Speaker 1: And I've talked about this. I think that what we're seeing now as a result of bogging backwards from Survivor series and they didn't. They just didn't have enough material or it's not coaching enough in their heads to execute it in a way that that is not just entertaining or interesting, but since and pulls you in emotionally, so you're buying into something and rooting for something and rooting against something that's not happening. It's it is muddled. It's not flailing. Flailing was lead up to WrestleMania. They were flailing to try to spark interest and the McAfee was the most prominent thing, but other things were flailing. This is just muddled, just muddled, going in all right, I want to wrap up Rother Toby soon here, so let's hit going through all this. Any additional thoughts on that.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think we hit that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the Bella is in page against Fatal Influence. Any thoughts on that?
Speaker 3: I don't really care, but it seems to be setting up page and page. The only one I want to talk about Nick and Brie to challenge for the titles so they could win it, because that was what was supposed to happen originally.
Speaker 1: All right, night, Two quick thoughts? Anything more tricking Corbin?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Nope, all right, Sammy and Finn? Anything more on that?
Speaker 3: Samy and Finn. This was when I was writing the primer. This is the one was least interested in, and they made it like probably the second most interesting match on What is a Horrible Night Too?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Bearing the lead as we run through this, the women's five way in ladder match for the interim title. We have Charlotte and Jade. We talked about Chelsea being sort of the dark horse that people are rooting for. Last legend getting a decisive win, which was smart. It's just unfortunate's expensive, Julie if you believe Julia has more potential, and then Tiffany is just Tiffany. So any any thoughts.
Speaker 3: The the what most tempers me, uh with Chelsea Green winning is mainly that the feel good win is going to be gable.
Speaker 1: I think, all right, Dan Housen dom.
Speaker 3: My perdition. I think that a lot of people are to be angry. I think that's what they wrote. Uh yeah, it's gonna be a thing. Basically, everything Dan House has been done doing since since then has been has been between mildly entertaining and just ultra cringe. So that's it's a shame. And by the way, what happened to miss.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah he's he well and and.
Speaker 3: Yeah and uh I will say Kit, but Kit Wilson, Yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, what happened to them? They just they got electrocuted. And I don't think we've seen them since.
Speaker 1: You know, what's fun is I haven't thought about it. Do we care?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: They should? That should maybe they maybe they are involved in this and they're I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't even want to think about it. It really, I don't know. There's something about that the money and you know, you know me, I'm into this crazy stuff, you know, and I'm into the more clown stuff, and I'm just this is just not working for me at all.
Speaker 1: Maybe uh, Miss and Kit steal the money and Dan Houson and Dom unite and it's Dom's baby face turn All right enough. iPhone users, if you're listening to us on the Native podcast app on your iPhone, you can unlock our commercial free versions of our free shows by searching PW Torch in Apple Podcasts. You'll see a charcoal grade logo that says PW Torch VIP on it. Click on that, there's some free samples of VIP shows and you can unlock the entire VIP lineup, which includes VIP exclusives plus commercial free versions of the free shows by searching PW Torch in Apple Podcasts and clicking on the PW Torch VIP logo and then activate your three day free trial and after that you can become a VIP member using your Apple account. It's that easy. Enjoy a streamline listening experience to our free shows and unlock all the VIP exclusives, including our post pay per view roundtables, the wad Keller news bulletins, Everything with Rich and Wade, The Fix that I host with Todd Martin, and a variety of other VIP exclusives. Just search PW Torch in your Apple podcast app. Sadler says, salad version three in the checkos, Kit Wilson another hot character they threw in the ice bath down for no reason. All right, Uh, Penta and Chad Gable one on one, there's a little bit of this minute. Uh. Minnesota Star Tribune, our top newspaper, had a historian Chad Gable today or call him from Grizzled veteran columnist Patrick ROYCEI I saw it, I didn't read it yet, so I got to read that. They did a nice vignette on him on a previous show. What Yeah, what are your what are your what are your thoughts? When they booked this. First of all, it just plays into like, let's not give fans anyone to just one hundred percent root for Let's make it. Let's let's make every every person you cheer for you feel guilty because you like the other guy too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that that does also come up. But I mean it's interesting because when I gave this more thought, because it's a comes full circle because Penta was the whole Grand Americano started when when Penta beat beat Gable, and that's you know, that's when Gable decided that he can't beat the loocha door, so he created the uh, the gimmick. So essentially it comes full circle and he's you know, uh. On paper, it should be like a heartwarming and everything, but you know the issue that most of the most of the stuff happened in Mexico and Triple A. A lot of the drama happened there, and it feels more like you're supposed to these are the emotions we're expecting you to feel. But it's sadly it we just haven't uh, we haven't gotten had enough time with this version of the Gable to really really care for him to Hey, this is he's finishing his story and.
Speaker 1: He's Yeah, Gable's not a great charismatic baby face character. Is there any chance that they booked this because one of the others turning heel?
Speaker 3: I mean, if if Gable turns heel, it's because they gave up on what they're trying to do. Tent to Heel might be interesting.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Yeah, yeah, I know that crossed my mind. I mean, he's popular and you could do that. But if they I could see that elevating him and there's a lot of potential for different matchups that might freshen him up. It might be a chance to move up the card a bit if he's I don't know, I don't know how you I don't have in my mind how you would how you fully fleshed out how you do it. But I'm kind of intrigued with something kind of surprising and if they find a way to make that work.
Speaker 3: If there were if they were doing a heel pens of the way that he was in uh Luca Underground where he was just like breaking people's arms and stuff. You know, obviously don't do that because that's you know, you can't do that, But like something that where he's like an aggressive and not you know, an aggressive fighter. I'd like to see that. I just don't trust that they would do what they need to do with the heel penta.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fair, all right, Seth Roman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean a lot of the stuff I have to say had tied you know, ties into you know, is Ram's heel babyface. You know what, where we're supposed to feel about it?
Speaker 2: It the.
Speaker 3: Overall I you could have just told the story of their history and that's it and leave it at that and not bring up the fact that Romans was a broad promo for most of his career, and don't bring up the fact that management was the one who uh who uh who put him in that position that was completely unnecessary. Uh. I mean I liked uh Seth Rollins talking about how there are different types of wrestlers where it's where he's I mean, he essentially said Roman was the wrestler who does what he does, does what he's told and hopes to get rich. Well, he's the one who cares about the actual art of wrestling. I just don't think they got there the right way, and they got they got that through the meta realm, which is again unnecessary. I mean, seriously, just you know, the the the you've never beaten to me when it counts was just about enough, and we're about to retire. You never be you know, like the moments that you remember are me getting over on you, you know, uh, breaking up the shield that was me getting over on you, cashing in at rest at WrestleMania. That's me getting over on you, you know, me winning the title and the three way with Punk and taking your your your wise man, that was me getting over on you. You might have won, but the big moments that people are been remember of these, you know, the biggest and the most important cash of all time, and this is your last chance to do something about it. You know that that was That's strong enough storyline, you know all the other way you went.
Speaker 1: I am hoping to push the reaction to Seth's promo about you you got you know, your favorite by management, and it wasn't like there's a way to pull that off. And in like my my ideas like Roman, when you when you became nomber contender and magically happened right before big shows that could put you on the poster because they thought you were more marketable and for me I to win money at the bank and sneak in like you can weave it into k fab, You can weave into the storyline to say you got favorite and preferential treatment because people go, well, it's true they perceive you as more marketable, and you go, well, management, Vince wasn't crazy to think that. But you can also make fun of Rains for sort of flailing trying to be something he wasn't, to try to fit a mold, to live in the foot to follow in the footsteps of the people who came before him. Again, you can do that in a way where it feels like it was a choice by Roman, not something scripted for him to do. There is a sophisticated, nuanced way to do what Seth was trying to do. But he was so hacked, so derivative, so tired, so blah with what he did that I hope it is a wake up call. Maybe the Grayce and Waller thing is not encouraging an encouraging sign on NXT on Tuesday, Harve you feel about that, that it's time to move away from that stuff because it's not shocking anymore. It's not like, oh my god, you won't believe what just happened. Seth broke the fourth wall. That's not what people want anymore. It's like the attention economy used to be, oh my god, I can follow people on social media and talk to them, and now it's like the new flex is not being on social media. It's the new flex is not having the latest technology and not being a mark and a victim pulled into the attention economy where they're just giving you this world that doesn't exist but you think it does by feeding you with an algorithm something that they know you're addicted to. Like cigarettes. There was a point where something is novel and new, and then it becomes some derivative, corrupt version that does isn't in the spirit of what originally was, Like social media has become the shoot p almost the same thing. We're way past it, and Seth should know it. And it shows, frankly how unsophisticated he is as a student of the game that he still thinks that's the approach to take. He should have the cloud to say no to whatever writer handed him that stuff, or if he came up with it, he should know better. There's my rant on it. I hope a lesson has learned. I hope Seth's like, WHOA, I didn't realize this stuff was pass so much and people hated it. Now I won't do it anymore because, frankly, since then, Cody and Punke didn't step in it, and Seth was better about it this week, So I am hoping it's all worth it. In the end that Seth did that, Javier, so we don't get it ever again anymore, regardless of whatever Grace did and how you feel about that realm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's retire to the pipe on promost.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's retire talking about anything other than does it pass through the filter of People get pushes because they win. People are champion because they win matches. People are on TV because it's the the powers behind the scenes give TV time to winners. You get on Sunday Night Football because you have a winning record. Is there a bias for New York Giants or the Cowboys? Yes, but you don't get chosen to win because you're the Cowboys. You still have to win. That's why I say there's a nuance, sophisticated way to do what Seth was trying to do and he failed at it.
Speaker 3: SmackDown with samu's Ain. Sam's Ain is complaining that that that Punk and uh and and Cody keep getting all the shots, but he's complaining with something where you know, yes, in the UFC, the guy guy who has a fifty you know, a five hundred record but is super charismatic might get a title shot or who never lost the title.
Speaker 1: Well, like with in Bump's case and Cody as the act champ who didn't get a fair rematch.
Speaker 3: Well, no, but what I'm saying it's like like like you could make a complaint about management screwing you over for for those reasons, for you know, because you're not you're you know, because they want the charismatic guy have a shout at the title. You can make those and and things made those those comments, you know, but when you start talking about because I mean, I think the kicker for me was when he starts talking about you can't cut a promo. And by the way, Knight heads into that direction a few times too, so you know that that's when you start with you know, this was a long time ago. Why are you bringing this back up now? You know you don't want people thinking about that Roman Reigns is still your top draw. Why the hell are you bringing this up?
Speaker 1: That's why I felt that, that's why I didn't like Punkin' Roman. Maybe it's just there was this residual they're both they're both jerks and pricks and ego egotistical, and they all have these these fault lines that just got got amplified and drawn attention drawn to them in the build. Stop doing it. Treat your protect your stars, treat them like big deals. But if you're going to have someone rip on someone, have it be a baby face making good points about a heel that is within the realm of if this were real, that's what would have been said. You've got to filter it through. If this were in actual sport, would this be being said. And if you can pull it off, pull it off. But if you can't, don't go there like if you can't pull that off and make it seem like something that would be said if real. There was storyline justification for Punk and Cody having a one on one match for all kinds of reasons, not all kinds like dozens, but like two or three good reasons. It made sense. And but Sammy also as his character, you understand why Sammy feels he's been overlooked. Now there's a danger that the heat is on management. It's like in dough to Be Unreal or Paul of X like in this By the way, w Unreal backs up my contention that John Cenas has for among the top stars of the last fifty years, bottom ten percent of Wrestling IQ in terms of understanding the industry. He has a completely fundamental different view of the business that does not serve anybody else but him, including calling himself the last world champion while he's retiring and he thinks that's his way to give back. While he's touting himself for putting NXT wrestlers on a show that he's on, not the highest wrestling IQ, not even close, and he's out there saying, yeah, I want to have bad matches despite the fans. And I noticed another showjave here. Terry Taylor used to do that on house shows w h W. House shows, like fans would taunt him and if he they for having arest hoole. This is like circa nineteen eighty seven, and they' give him a hard time at a house show for doing a rest hole and they'd be like, well, I'm gonna sit in the ud shout, I'm going to stay in this for ten minutes to spite you, like you know, like he was a heel, and he was like, you guys are marks two. I'm gonna turn you marts. You think smart, you're not those you know, the emergence of the observer in the torch and and and you know quote so called smart fans and sheet raiders. So that's been done at a house show in front of a couple thousand people. John Cena's idea, Paulaveck responded to by going, I'm sorry, John, but it's the heat's gonna be on us, the company management. It's not gonna be on you as a heel. If you have boring matches, they're gonna blame us for authorizing something really low iq and stupid. It's a bad idea. He put it as nicely as he can, because everyone pussy flips around John seene it because he's a big star and he thinks he knows a lot more than he does. And when he leaves the room, everyone exhales and goes, thank god he's gone, because he's phony and everyone I can't say everyone feels that way, but a lot of people feel that way. So there's bad ideas about how to get heal heat, and then there's good ideas on how to get heal heat. But if you're if you're blaming, if your promo is blaming management for bad decisions, that's not how you sell a match. That's how you pick at scabs in a way that breaks the immersion that you that you want immersion, You want fans to buying, you want that peak fan experience. When you pick up scabs of the past of decisions management made, that's not getting people to care about the match. It's causing scabs to be picked and bleed again. Stop doing it and session no better scene. It should know better. But there's a lot of people with main event matches who don't sit and watch the product, and they're on social media and they have this little bubble that algorithm fed them, and they think that's the whole world, and then we get crap like that promo heavier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the you know, I think you hit one one one now, this particularly talking about like past since those are the ones that are like even worse because like you know, like on a on a like again, you know, goother has had you know, GOOZI can can plame that's manage and screwed them, you know, because they literally they pull them out of the rink or you know stuff like that. You know, so so you from their perspective, you talk about it, but you're talking about it within the actual structure of the show itself. You know, you're not talking about outside of you're not talking about tko is the one who who booked it. You'ren't talking about the bookers. You're talking about like you know, the matchmakers within you know, you're talking about Pierce, You're talking about uh Aldis as as the bad guys, and you're putting you know whatever, you know, your complaints on them, which you know works. But at the same time, I'm putting that with the caveat, don't use complaints that people actually see is real, because then you're actually thinking about, you know, you know what, what's what's going on?
Speaker 1: Being an annoying pest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean you you know, because like because I mentioned that, don't bring up I don't like the idea they're calling uh unless the idea is to turn a meal. I don't like the idea you're bringing up Cody as the golden boy and eating it over and over again, because you're going to start people are gonna start booing him because he's the golden boy, you know. So, I mean I think the ship sailed on Plump being a hypocrite because I think everybody, even his fans, know he's a hypocrite, you know. So I think that that that he's he's tef love when it comes to that. But but don't bring up those kinds of things. Don't bring up you know, Rain's being you know. I'll tell you what. One of the things that I've kind of been lost some interest in Rands is his baby face matches him going back to the Superman punch and he wrestling more babyface style than he used to. And I'm like, no, do what the stuff that he used to do before, keep with the rest holds and the and and those kind of moves. Stopped giving me the flashing moves because you're not cool doing the Superman punch. So that wasn't a side.
Speaker 1: Sorry, that's okay, Hey, we we have Besides, it's baked into the show format, uh seven eleven. So this has it been discussed about the possibility of returns of Randy Orton, Kevin Owner through McIntyre hoavier. Did that into your mind right in the primer as it entered your mind? Or what do you think of the possibility now that I bring it.
Speaker 3: Up, I have learned, don't expect them on the show. Expect them on the day after the show, with very few exceptions, and in this case maybe in Orton, if they're gonna continue the Orton uh uh uh Cody feud. If they're gonna continue that, maybe Orton ends up getting involved in that match, and that that that's nowt I was trying to keep away from too many because one of the things I know is a lot of my primers. But I'm expecting interference in every match. But they've been pretty good not having those in on their on their on the bailey. So i've i've i've I've moved away from that unless something makes obvious sense. So I had a hard time to figure out who between punk and and uh and Cody if they're both gonna stay babyface. One way would be if Orton gets involved or Kay Okay. Also, I had bad blood with with he was Yeah, he was feeding with Cody before he got in. He got injured, right, you know the McIntyre, I don't want to put him in. I think McIntyre, if he shows up, will be later. And I don't even know where you're gonna put him in because I don't don't. I don't see where he fits in right now.
Speaker 1: Heal opponent just about to say that, about to say that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, searching for more great Pro Wrestling Talk, then join me Jason Powell host him the three weekly Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast. Each week he'll hear the latest news and analysis for me and my team at Pro Wrestling Dot need along with other pro wrestling media members. Plus the Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast features long form interviews with notable names in the pro wrestling industry. Subscribe and iTunes, Stitcher, Downcast, and all your favorite secondary apps, or visit us directly at pw boom dot com. Once again, that's pw boom dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, real quicks. I want to wrap up in a minute super chat for Derek Mitchell Wade. Random question. As a lifelong fan, has any wrestling moment ever brought you to tears for me as much a man winning the WF Championship at WrestleMania nine and his nineteen ninety one proposal to Miss Elizabeth. Derek the thank you for the super chat, by the way, dinners on you tomorrow. I appreciate it. These questions get me in trouble because at age sixteen, I started prossing Torch. I did so with the goal to be a journalist, and I enjoy watching wrestling, and I had almost ten years of being just a fan, like eight years of being just a fan and experiencing peak fan experiences and thinking a death match meant someone was gonna die when Matt Dog Vshan and Crusher Jerry Blackwell at a death match, and I got to see Brewiser Brody and Crusher Blackwell have brawls of the century in my eyes, and got to see the rise of Whole Commnia and Bobby Heenan at his absolute best as a manager in my hometown promotion. I got to see the wrestling wars in front of me. I remember where I was when I saw the WrestleMania commercial and realized I was going to get to watch at WDW event live on close circuit, and I was so excited about that. And I got to experience World Class Championship wrestling brought at Dallas, Texas at its peak, being in syndication and planning my weekends around it at five pm on Channel twenty nine every week, absolutely like that. It was so awesome to grow up in the era that I did, getting the tail end of the end of the territories and then being in the midst of the wrestling wars and the territorial the drop off the territories, but also the wrestling blocks where you got to see five shows from all over the country on Saturday morning or Sunday morning, and wrestling blocks in syndication, and I got to experience and see and like on TV almost every territory that I was reading about in the magazines for years but didn't get to see the wrestlers. And then everybody came to town WWF aw a WCW or Jim Crockett and wa Mid South World Class Promise but never did. And I got to be part of seeing the burgeoning indie scene when indie wrestling got really big. All that said, I don't remember ever coming to Tears for sure after I started the Torch, because I just had to cover wrestling and look at wrestling through a different lens being a journalist, and so no I was looking at how am I gonna write about this? Is it best for business? Is this a good angle? Is going to draw ratings? Is it funny? Is it effective? How are other fans reacting to it? It just chained my perspective. I felt a responsibility in that way to do so. And then before that, I don't think as a kid, I teared up, like watching Matt doc Vashan Finally Avenge crushed Jerry Blackwell in a death match. But I might have, but I don't remember that. So there's there's my answer to it. When people ask like that kind of question of me, it does it kind of goes against the lens through which I've watched wrestling since I was a teenager. Because I started the torch so young, kind of shifted me into a different gear. Javier, how about you?
Speaker 3: Well, Uh, I crawl like a little bit. But when it comes to wrestling, I would say top of mine was the match made in uh match made in Heaven? Matchmaker match made in uh in Heaven?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 3: Maybe also the Proposal. I'm not sure about that one. I also cried when Undertaker was killed and that killed him was young.
Speaker 1: It was on your twentieth birthday. I remember that, yep.
Speaker 3: And the most recent was the wasbray Waite's return. Okay, when are you getting back?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Uh? Like, uh, we everybody everybody in the because I think I was watching it with my my, uh my brother and his wife and like at least she and she and I were bowling, so because she because he was her favorite wrestler. So when when he came out and just like the the emotion and like the croad is going nuts for him, and you know, and and you know the stuff that that that that was that was a moment that's not to include like obviously the wrestling fatalities and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So Prink Category seven eleven can sneak this in. I think Kevin Owens sides with Sammy if he sent a program with Punk and he causes and because Punk versus K is something I need to see. So maybe when we're talking about wrestlers coming in, Kevin Owens and Sammy almost have to be aligned or a post but involved in the same story. And obviously see him Punk and Kevin Owens could be fantastic in some form or fashion. I just hope we have a designated heel in a face and if Punk turned heel and Kao's a baby face and Ko comes in and explains why Sammy has been making sense, but let me help my friend get grounded again, and he's he's been hysterical and I can talk him out of it. We'll get our old Sammy back. But in the meantime, I got one more run in me as world champ and see him Punk, You've been pissing me off. I mean, I like, I, let's do.
Speaker 3: It dude for me. Uh see him punk heel and because of the stuff that Punk has been telling uh to to his wife seeing Uh seeing seeing Punk be the motivation that gets Johnny wrestling. It's a stand up that would be you know, and then have as the crowd go.
Speaker 1: Nuts yep salarsion three about crying. By the way, I'm not emotion Salagion three. So I'm not emotional and never cry watching stuff. But I randomly was channel surfing and stopped that hbca versus Flair in the post match almost got me, which is weird because I've watched that match before.
Speaker 2: L L.
Speaker 1: Goodfella says Bray's return was awesome. Sean Puss click to Us says fans are going to cheer Ko one hundred percent, which is why I turned punk Heel for my scenario because yeah, I don't. Yeah, I think as good as Punk is, I just don't. I don't. I don't think he can get cheered against Ko unless Ko is really up for the challenge, really up for the challenge. Derek says, uh, that was great emotional moment for me, but my two moments as a teenager was as a teenager in the eighties with Savage.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: I get that, all right? Go VP everybody sign up. We got our summer some coverage this weekend roundtable reviews after both nights. Rich Fan and Todd Martin joining me for VP exclusive round tables. You get add free access to everything we do on our website. I'll have live coverage of Summer Slam and we'll have post shows. Greg Park's hosting tomorrow night. Derek Cupboard will be co hosting also this weekend, So join us for that. PW Torch v I p info dot com is where you go to support us if you believe in what we do, if you've listened watch this long, and you like our brand of wrestling coverage, it really means a lot if you support us. We are not a big corporate corporation. We're not spamming you with fake headlines and that kind of thing. If you respect that and you want to support a small business that's been doing this a long time, and if you think we have integrity and how we approach it, VIP membership is the best way to show that we appreciate everybody. Obviously, not everybody has another budget or they don't think it's worth I get that, but if you're on the fence, it's good weekend Go vip. You can also catch up on our Roundtable VIP Exclusive round Table podcast after at able these pay per view last Sunday, and also a really fun edition of The Fixed, the longest of the year so far on Thursday night. Rich Vanna had a really good conversation on everything on Tuesday. Plus we give you VIP exclusive after shows on the Flake ships often and Nicky's Club is up VIP exclusive with his previews Summer Slam Weekend Go vip now listened to that before Saturday night. Nikki is just a really really fun friend podcast friend to experience WWE with the way that he presents his show and his memory and his insights and his enthusiasm and and how the high IQ of his analysis that doesn't always march in lockstep with with conventional wisdom, so but often it does, and it'll commit to you why you should be part of that lockstep two. So anyway, I could go on and on great content with vip uh with a VP membership, PW torch VP info dot com. Javier, I'm so glad you were on tonight. I'm so glad you got caught up. It was I love having you on before a big show like this, and you brought it to so thank.
Speaker 2: You for that.
Speaker 3: Thanks always always happy to be here.
Speaker 1: Awesome. All right. You can get by the way, seven day free trial on Patreon if you go to patroon and enter p W Torch VP. Otherwise full VIP membership p W torch vp info dot com. That full VIP membership on locks nearly four decades of archives, customizable podcast for each of our individual VIP shows are clusters of shows on demand, access to our nineties material and the last twenty plus years of podcasts and our newsletter archives. So PW Torch VIPNFO dot com. That's it for me. Thank you everybody. I hope I got to every super chat, and big thanks to those who gave super chats. Obviously king of the super Chats is never in question. Derek Mitchell with that, all right, cool, Thanks everybody, we'll talk to you.
Speaker 2: A lot of.
Speaker 1: Your time is valuable. Go VIP and listen to our show's commercial free A nice streamline listening experience. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP for full details on a commercial free listening experience, and with a full VIP membership, you can create custom feeds for individual shows or groups of shows by theme, and also unlock nearly four decades of archives and access our ad free website with VIP exclusive content. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP. Your time is valuable, and that's one of the reasons we offer VIP membership pw torch dot com slash go VIP. You can participate in the Wadkeller Pro Wrestling podcast by emailing your question or topic to Weadkeller Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also participate in the way Keller post shows by emailing Weadkellerpost show at gmail dot com during or write after rad Dynamite or smackdowne Let your voice, let your opinions be heard on our shows via email. Weightkeller Podcast at gmail dot com for the flag Ship and Wadekeller Post Show at gmail dot com for our post shows. It's next level coverage that you come to expect from the PW Torch brand. No AI, no rookie perspectives, no unfounded rumors, no clickbait, no deceptive headlines, just high quality writing, breaking news, and fascinating flashbacks every day at pw torch dot com. Pull yourself away from the evacuous social media experience that I know many of you regret once you get lost in it for minutes, if not hours at a time, and settle in for high quality pw torch branded wrestling coverage. Admit it, you love Nick Barbatti when he co hosts with me on the Waydekeller Post shows. Well, now you can listen to him every week on The Nicky's Club, a VIP exclusive podcast. Here's Nick to tell you more.
Speaker 11: Hey wrestling fans, It's Nick Barbatty and I'm back with the Nicky's Club, the place where the family of Nicky's comes together for big laughs and Shark takes on WWE for WrestleMania rumors to surprise returns. I got you covered, the Nicky's Club, where the wrestling feels like the coolest club in town.
Speaker 1: Nick Barbatti wants to be part of your pro wrestling life every week, so why not let him go vip pw torch dot com slash go vip for full details on signing up. We're compatible with patreons, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and just about any other iOS or Android app out there. You can also stream directly from our ad free VIP website, The Nikki's Club waiting for you every week at pw Torch VIP. Did you know that you can enjoy commercial free versions of all of your favorite Weight Color podcasts and pw Torch daily casts on Spotify. Just go to patreon dot com search pw Torch and subscribe to a VIP membership tier. You get a seven day free trial by the way to kick the tires a bit and see if you like the service, and then sync it with Spotify and you can listen to commercial free versions of our free shows like the Waykeller post shows, the Weightkeller Podcast, Flagship, our Flashbacks, and also the pw Torch Daily cast lineup. Again, all commercial free and nice streamline listening experience. But with third tier membership you can also unlock all the VIP podcasts, including Everything with Rich and Wade, to Fix with Todd Martin that I host with Todd every week, the Weadkeller News bulletins, pulls, pay per view roundtables, and an array of other VIP exclusive podcasts with different hosts and different themes. Check out the lineup. Go to Patreon and search PW Torch and subscribe and sync it up with Spotify or stay within the Patreon ecosystem. Either way works. Go to Patreon and start your seven day free trial. If you're listening to us on the Apple podcast app, on Spotify, or any other app that allows you to rate our podcast, please take a moment to give us a five star rating. It really helps us in the algorithm and helps them know that you recommend us to others. Just look for a place to rate the show on Spotify, on Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to our shows, and please click that five star rating, and of course thank you so much for listening. A PW Torch VIP membership doesn't just give you add free access to these shows and a ton of other VIP exclusive podcasts throughout the week, but you also gain access to our unmatched vast library of wrestling history, our contemporaneous week to week coverage through our progressing Torch weekly newsletters dating back to the late nineteen eighties, along with streaming and download access to hundreds of retro radio shows from the nineteen nineties, including some of my interviews with wrestling's top newsmakers in the nineties, and also our podcast library dating back to the year two thousand and three. There's no larger, longer spanning pro wrestling podcast library than that that comes with a PW Torch VIP membership. Now approaching twenty years of podcasting, Go VIP and dive into our post pay per view roundtables are covered with some of your favorite eras of wrestling, top name long form interviews, and special format podcasts that we've done throughout the years. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP. We have a streamline sign up for me and you can pay with PayPal or directly with your credit card or debit card. In one or two minutes from right now, you can be a VIP member and diving into our library. Pw torch dot com slash go vip