Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of June second, we are continuing with Lost, Season three, episode one, a Tale of two Cities. Don't get the title, but there was a lot going on.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought the title meant you know, the city where the others live and the you know, beachside encampment where the castaways lived.
Speaker 1: So we did not see that that city. We did, but we did see the quaint fifty style village that the others were living in having book club.
Speaker 2: And baking muffins, baking muffins, burning MUDs.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we got to meet Juliette, who it should be no surprise, will see you prominently to now on Yes, laid by Elizabeth Mitchell. So I was happy to see her. It's like, people I remember being on the show such a big part of the show, and it's like for the first two seasons they're nowhere to be found.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wasn't there?
Speaker 1: Wasn't there a blonde here?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I knew she was coming, I forgot that it was the episode. So hey there Juliet, good to see you. Lots of fun ahead, right, So that was something new on this show, something old on this show. Jack kind of a mess.
Speaker 2: Jack and his daddy issues.
Speaker 3: Once again, I don't feel like we learned anything we didn't already know, other than just watching him fall apart and drag his dad down with him.
Speaker 1: So, you know, nothing to see here, move along, perhaps.
Speaker 2: Going back for a couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: She is just to look disgusted. Honestly, you know, there's no reason why she needs to tell him anything. But is there a reason why not to? Does he think? I guess she thinks he's going to come after him, but he's It would not be hard to find him. Yeah, he could pay a private detective to do that. But just the whole thing, like, the more they go into new and exciting things happening on the island, the less you really want to see past Jack again. Got it, we got it.
Speaker 2: We're clear.
Speaker 1: He's a mess. His dad's a mess. We got it. We've been there, We've seen it a whole bunch of times. Thanks done. How about these new people, right?
Speaker 2: Did you know they have a whole little village.
Speaker 1: Kind of wonder how they got there. Maybe there would be an interesting bagstory. Yeah, just yeah, okay, it just feels like well worn ground. But you know, actor has it in his contract he has to have X number of flashbacks a year or so. Yeah, burn it off here at the beginning, and so he's a in a prisoni ise situation underwater. Sawyer is in a cage apparently obviously used for bears, and he he how long have those bear crackers been there in the pipeline?
Speaker 2: I wonder?
Speaker 1: Right? When she eats and h Kate is given a pretty little frock and brought to the beach to breakfast with Ben. Right, So she then later on eats a bear cracker, So I don't know if she still was the yeah to partake?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think she she must have refused, or at least that's the impression we're supposed to get, that she refused Ben's lovely, you know, beachside breakfast that he offered her.
Speaker 1: Yes, I gotta think if she's crunching on the bear cracker, she's thinking, maybe I should eaten something, right.
Speaker 2: I could have.
Speaker 1: I would have ended.
Speaker 2: Right like nothing was going to change, but I would have had a little food in my belly.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yeah, coffee. How long has it been since they've had coffee?
Speaker 2: You would think that that?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think I might have just humored him for coffee.
Speaker 2: I would think there would have been some on the plane, right.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's true. I wonder if there's Darmer brand coffee in those drops? Yeah, like they Dharma brand coffee maker, and uh you.
Speaker 2: Know yeah, in the hatch and the drop and the plane there must have been some options.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not good coffee. No, And now we can finally call Ben ben Yeah. Yeah, Benjamin Linus is his full name, but we all know him for now is Ben.
Speaker 2: Ben, But and he seems to be in charge.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes he does, and of a very odd place. It does not seem to be in its proper time period. But yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Once again, as we've discussed, what we need is more people. And now we have Ben, we have Juliet, we have whatever lady was at the book club. We have Tom we have met before. But he's right getting a little more screen time, like.
Speaker 1: All sorts of people. Yeah, when do we get there flashbacks? We how many more Jack flashbacks do we have to get before? Oh golly, you know, given what was going on in his life before his plane crash, he must have kind of dug being like having a chance to be a respectable person again for a little while. Yeah, for everybody before his personality caught up with him.
Speaker 2: Indeed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's a young man that oh yeah, Thatsy, you're out. Yeah, that's another name at some point, Carl, Carl. Oh yes, Carl, I remember Carl. Let's say about Carl right now the better. But yeah, so he's there and he's looking like he maybe is not with the program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, these.
Speaker 1: These adolescents, they'll they'll buck authority. Also, we need this kid for Kate. So yeah, move on right, right, So there's a underwater station and all sorts of stuff, right, a little bit a little bit of civilization there in the jungle, apparently. So what do we suppose they have in mind for these guys?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I did the idea.
Speaker 2: It was kind of like head scratching, you know, like, Okay, so Jack is in this kind of lock up, and Sawyer's in this other kind of lock up, and Kate's in the getting a shower and locker room, and but then she's put in with so like, look, there's just there's just a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again it's like we would like more information in figuring out what's going on here and not Oh my gosh, Jack is demanding to know things in the past again. Does he really think his dad is her new guy? Yeah? Does he really think that there could be other reasons for her to call him? You know?
Speaker 2: Bye?
Speaker 1: Just just excruciating. Yeah, So move along, creators, move along. You've you've created some interesting things here. Let's let's uh, let's leave those particular flashbacks behind, right spoiler So great, there's definitely some contractual obligations regarding flashbags. Is the only way I can figure it out, because things get quite desperate. Yeah, to come up with more things to do about Jack Jack.
Speaker 2: Jack Jack Jack Jack.
Speaker 1: What else do we have from this?
Speaker 2: We really don't get anything from the rest of the castaways, So mister Echo is still like potentially unconscious or.
Speaker 1: Yes, dead, They can't have just like one look over there. We have Sayid and Son and Jin on a boat. Right, we have a implosion at the hatch. We have whatever is going on. I noticed like at the beginning of the credits there were some names that came up which are of people that we didn't see in this episode, but in particular Kilee Sanchez and Rodriguez Santoro will be figure briefly ahead. But I'm surprised their names were even in the credits at this point because we sure didn't get anything from them. Right, So Rodrigo Santoro having played the handsome coworker that Laura Lenny fails to uh guy. But anyway, so it's it's a new day, it's a new season. We got some old baggage, but we also have all sorts of new sets and all sorts of new characters, and you know, let's move it along, shall we Yeah, I want to get to the good stuff, right, So what what parenting lessons do we draw from this? When somebody tells you, don't do that children, don't do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't push that button, don't push.
Speaker 1: That button, don't open that door.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sometimes don't cracker that fish shaped bear cracker.
Speaker 1: Sometimes the adults are messing with you. Sometimes they're just being authoritarian. But sometimes you open the door in the room fills up with water, So you know, maybe maybe just listen. If somebody serves you a nice breakfast, eat the breakfast, just eat it. Even if you have philosophical objections to things that this person is doing, eat the breakfast. You know you're going to need your strength for later, you know. If you're gonna kids, if you're gonna help somebody get out of a cage, make sure nobody's watching you and kids. Respect your parents and don't yell at them and accuse them of things and cause them to go off the wagon.
Speaker 2: Shove them in the middle of an AA meeting, Shove them to the ground in front of all their counterparts.
Speaker 1: Right right, not good, you know, and then whatever happens is on you. Now he goes back to drinking but after this is when he's gallivanting around Australia with analysia, right, right, Okay, I'm just trying to figure out what comes when. So he's still got some his dad still has some storyline ahead. Yeah, because in the timeline of the show, right, And because in the you'll ever see him again in flashbacks? I don't know. Over again, you're.
Speaker 2: Playing a dead guy, but don't worry, you'll get plenty of screen time.
Speaker 1: Somebody needs to like go through the annals of television and find out what dead person has the most screen time. I think this guy's in. I think this guy's on the running dies in like the first moments of the show. Well, no, you know he dies before the show before, Yeah, yes, and yet cuts quite the face so long, you know. I think there's a good tip here for everybody to remember, parents and kids, which is, put your clothes when you shower and you're in a not not trustworthy place, keep your clothes where you can see them. Rookie mistake, Kate, Come on, how could you not have put your clothes someplace where they could not just sneak out and burn them? And that dress is very attractive, but it's not gonna be good for running through the jungle.
Speaker 2: Not going to be comfortable.
Speaker 1: You're gonna have to get some fatigues or something, some sweats.
Speaker 2: Some kind of crop top and pants situation. Yeah, seems to.
Speaker 1: Be like Kate's already part of a triangle. You guys, you're gonna come on, she's cute, but she got cute. Well. I liked there was a line where somebody says, you think I'm stupid, and the reply is, I don't think you're stupid. I think you're stubborn, which is, uh, sounds like a thing a parent could say to a kid. Yes, because you are stubborn, you keep doing dumb things. Stop it, let it go. Listen to somebody else, even if it is an evil person that you don't trust.
Speaker 2: You know well, And that is what Jack Stade kept saying to him.
Speaker 1: Let it go, let it go, Let it go, Let it go, Let it go. Is a good thing to teach your children as a parenting tip, but on the other hand, an extremely difficult thing to do as a parent. Let me tell you about the people who I had a hard time with when my kids are in school, shall we? You guys got to me. I have names I have dates, I have exact so but yeah, sure sure yeah, water under the bridge. I tell you about this one time this person said this, So yeah, I still can break out into that in a second. So that's what all my flashbacks would be. My flashbacks would all be IEP meetings and uh, you know, tense confrontations in.
Speaker 2: A hallway right good times.
Speaker 1: People would say, why can't she just let it go? I feel you, Jack, you know, you know, maybe you and I are a lot alike.
Speaker 2: We're not so different, you and me.
Speaker 1: Give me the accommodation. You can't have therapy. In the back of the lunch room, people are rolling their eyes and gone, missus.
Speaker 2: Morrow, she's back, she's back.
Speaker 1: Can we arrange for her to be abandoned on an island somewhere? Cul churls would moore see what he could do? Yeah, so it's a whole new season of Lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a car outside my window.
Speaker 1: They're listening to us, apparently will be coming any minute to take us to the island.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh well yep, so here we go.
Speaker 1: Get a nice breakfast there and good coffee and muffins.
Speaker 2: You know, if they were well, they were burned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but I bet, I bet she could try again. I'll make a nice muffin. You know those houses looked cute.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 1: They got a book club, so you're you're in that is?
Speaker 2: Yes, it was a Stephen King book, but I couldn't tell which one it was. It's Ben's favorite, it Spend's least favorite, as his least favorite, Juliet's favorite, and Ben is refusing to read it.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, yeah, we got any flashbacks on Ben? We have not had any flashbacks on Ben, have we? No, there's a lot of where he came from.
Speaker 2: There's a lot to unpack there, I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: First, Kate, did you know she's a fugitive and Sawyer he's a con man? Let's look again at that?
Speaker 2: Yes her? Enough about that?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Come on moving along, we'd like to see some new flashbacks, please, right blaze. So next Tuesday we will continue with season three, episode two of Lost the Glass Ballerina. Okay, I believe.
Speaker 2: We will Sun and Gin, Yes, sar.
Speaker 1: Right, did you know that they had a tense marriage and problems conceding and she had a boyfriend. Let's revisit that again? Shall we? Never mind? All these new people with interesting looking backstories. We got right, We gotta burn off some of these ones for the old people first. Hang on, It'll be fine. So we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss Duster, in which Josh Holloway has pretty much exactly the same haircut. Yeah, thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.