Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome to Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, the Bible teaching ministry that's here to encourage and inspire you every day. And today we're continuing our series called Awesome Relationships. In it, Rick Warren shares practical ways to help you take your relationships with family, friends, co workers, and even God from ordinary to extraordinary. And this is a series you don't want to miss. Now, let's hear what Rick has to say in part two of a message called What Destroys Relationships and What builds Them?
Speaker 2: God has wired the universe that the more unselfish you are, the more He blesses you. Why because He wants you to become like him. God wants you to become like Him, which is unselfish. Everything you have in life is a gift from God because God was unselfish with you.
Speaker 3: And so God says, in.
Speaker 2: Order to help you become like me, I'm gonna give a little reward to this. First, you get real life on earth, and you get eternal life in heaven.
Speaker 3: He says.
Speaker 2: You know what you get a meeting and the way God has wired it. As we give ourselves away, we are most fulfilled. Jesus said only those who learn to give their lives away, we'll ever know what it means.
Speaker 3: To really live.
Speaker 2: You see, if you don't get anything else I say, or Tom says, today, get this. The greatest lesson in life is learning to be unselfish.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's the number one lesson in life, learning to be unselfish. It's also called love. Love your neighbor as yourself. Once you know and love God. God says, now, I want you to learn to love other people, and that means being unselfish.
Speaker 3: And unfortunately, a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Go through life and never learn the greatest lesson, and they waste their life. They waste the whole reason their hair on earth to learn how to be unselfish. Now, notice God also says in this verse its growth process.
Speaker 3: He says, letting God's.
Speaker 2: Spirit do the growth work in him, you'll harvest the crop of real life and eternal life. You see, it's not overnight. You don't learn to be unselfish by being zapped. In fact, you're not gonna learn it in forty days. It's going to take the rest of your life. But it is a growth process, and there's only one way you can do it, and that is with God's spirit in you. God's spiritings you look at the next verse, live freely, animated and motivated by God's spirit. Then you won't feed the compulsions of selfishness.
Speaker 3: Did you know that all of us are compulsive? Every one of us.
Speaker 2: We are compulsively selfish. We think about ourselves first. And if you don't think that, you're really not in touch with the reality. Because you do. You think about you more than anybody else. And he says the only way you can break that cycle is God's spirit inside you. Now, anybody can be unselfish every once in a while. Anybody can do that, okay, just by sheer willpower. Man, Look what I did, And how do you know when it's motivated by you.
Speaker 3: Rather than God's spirit. Pride creeps in. It's that I felt.
Speaker 2: Noble, It's that look at me, what a great person I I did something good for somebody. See, when God's Spirit's in you, then you don't do that. Anybody can be unselfish every once in a while. But God says, I want it to be a lifestyle. I want it to be a lifestyle. And there's only one way, God's spirit in your life. Doing the growth work inside of you motivated. Now here's the second thing that destroys relationships, pride. This is the second big thing that kills relationships. Pride destroys relationships. In Proverbs thirteen ten, it says this pride leads to arguments. Little history here. That was the first verse that Kay and I memorized on our honeymoon, and we needed it on the honeymoon. Pride leads to arguments. Now, pride shows up in a lot of different ways. It shows up first in criticism. If you are critical of other people, If you tend to be judgmental of other people, you tend to look down at other people, you tend to be a picky, picky perfectionist.
Speaker 3: You have a pride problem.
Speaker 2: That's the reason you are critical is you have a pride problem. If you tend to be competitive and you're always comparing, Oh, look at her dress compared to my dress, or look at his car compared to my car. Or you're always comparing salaries, or you're comparing husbands, or you're comparing children, or you're comparing titles or jobs or anything. You know what, you have a pride problem. That comparing spirit of always looking at everybody else and.
Speaker 3: Comparing and judging. That is a pride problem.
Speaker 2: If you have a stubbornness, if you haven't find it difficult to say i'm sorry. If you find it difficult, you choke on apologies. You cannot ever admit it when you're wrong. You have a pride problem. Now you don't say, well, now, if I may have offended you, that's not an apology. That's what politicians say. If I may have offended you, puts it back on you.
Speaker 3: Said, well, really, it's your fault for being offended. That's not an apology.
Speaker 2: An apology is I was wrong, I'm sorry, Please forgive me. That's an apology, Not if I may have offended you. It is I was wrong, I'm sorry, Please forgive me. If you can't do that, you have a pride problem. You have a pride problem. If you have shallow relationships and you keep everything superficial in your life, and you never let anybody get close to you, and you keep them at an arms distance, and you may use humor to keep it all shallow and not let it get too deep, and you keep faking it a lot, and you wear a mask, ask you have a pride problem. You see when you're too shallow to care about others. That is pride. Now, what does pride look like in a small group, since we're all in small groups. Well, one of the ways it looks is when you always have to tell a story that tops the last story.
Speaker 3: Well you did that, yeah, but listen to this one, okay.
Speaker 2: When you are always offering advice and you never ask for it in your group, when you never admit when you've had.
Speaker 3: A tough week. Everybody else's saying, yeah, I've had a tough week.
Speaker 2: And you never admit any problem in your life. The problem with pride is it's self deceiving. Everybody else can see it, but we can't. When I'm full of pride, I can't see it. I can't see them out. Everybody else can see it, but I can't. When you have a problem with pride, you don't see it in your own life.
Speaker 3: It's self deceiving.
Speaker 2: Everybody else can see your being prideful, but you can't see it yourself. And so the Bible says this in Proverbs sixteen eighteen, pride will destroy person. A proud attitude leads to ruin. And I love this verse in the message paraphrase first pride. Then the crash. The bigger the ego, the harder the fall. You had a hard fall, Well, that just shows how big your ego was. Now, pride keeps us from apologizing, and that destroys relationships.
Speaker 3: Tom's going to talk about the next thing.
Speaker 4: Pride destroys relationships. Humility. That's the antecdote to pride. Humility. Humility builds relationships. Listen to these five things that build relationships. Over in First Peter, chapter three, verse eight, the Bible says there, live in harmony, be sympathetic, love each other, have compassion, and be humble. Those five really are built on the fifth one, the ability to be humble. This is really a pretty good model for small groups. If you take a look at these five things, it's what we all want to be doing in our families and our groups and our relationships. We want to live in harmony and pathetic love each other. We want to have compassion and be humble. I want you to notice that first one, particularly, live in harmony. That's what God wants in relationships. He doesn't want this unison where we're all the same. He wants the harmony of us all being different. Why be in a relationship, if you weren't different from the other people. That's what we draw from. But this is important. Harmony and humility go together. You have to have them together in a symphony. The beauty is in all the different instruments. But if you have one flute player who wants to stand on their chair play louder than everybody else, it ruins the whole thing. If you have one person who's saying notice me, and I can't let other people be noticed, it ruins all the joy of the harmony of life, the deepness, the richness that God wants to give into our lives because of that. Now, let me encourage you to do something in your group this week. You to do something that will promote humility and harmony in your group this week. Pair up with a spiritual partner, someone that you can learn from. They can learn from you. You can be encouraged by they can be encouraged by you. You can be friend, they can be friends with you. You can support vice versa as it works together. Guys, pair up with another guy. Women with another women. If you're just starting to learn the Bible or you don't know much about Jesus, pair up with somebody who doesn't. Who knows more about the Bible, knows more about Jesus. That can encourage you. Now, the point about a spiritual partner is this, everybody needs a spiritual partner except me. That's how we tend to think, Oh, this is a good idea, this is a great idea. But about a month ago, one of the guys in my small group called me up and said, hey, can we get together regularly and maybe read threw a book together, talk about the impact that it's making on our lives. It took me a month to get back to him. And you know why I didn't really want to meet because I feel like I'm too busy. Can you relate to that this week? Don't be too busy to connect with somebody else and say can we be a spiritual partner? Your life will be the richer for it. And do not be too busy. If somebody connects with you and says, hey, could we pair up, don't be too busy to say, well, I'll get back to you on that, and then never get back to them on that. If you and I will make this toy, it can change our lives. How are you and I going to grow in humility, because that's the tall order. How does that happen in our lives? It happens by letting Jesus Christ begin to control our thoughts and hearts and attitudes and reactions. He's got to be a part of this. The Bible says over in Ephesians four twenty three and twenty four. This verse on your screen. Let the spirit change your way of thinking and make you into a new person. How do I become a new person? How do I start to think in a different way? Basic law of relationships is this, I tend to become like the people I spend time with. Spend time with grumpy people, you get more grumpy. Spend time with happy people, you get more happy. You want to have more humility. Spend time with Jesus Christ because he is humble. He wants a relationship with you. He wants you and I to spend time with him in prayer and reading his word and talking to him. He is humble. Look at this next verse in the outline Philippians two three and then five and six. Be humble and give more honor to others than to yourselves. Your attitude should be the same as that that Christ Jesus had. Though he was God, he did not demand and cling to his rights as God. No one's ever done anything more humble than Jesus coming from heaven to earth to become a man to live for us, Give his life for us, be a resurrected for us, and I spend time around him. That enables me to begin to become more humble, and that builds relationships. Now on the back of your outline, there's a third struggle we all face, and that is the struggle of insecurity. Insecurity destroys relationships. The Bible talks about this over in Proverbs twenty nine twenty five when it says, the fear of human opinion disables when I'm so insecure that all I have got to think about is your opinion, what you think of me? That disables my life. What's the problem with that fear? What does that problem cause us to disable in relationships? Well, when I'm afraid, it tends to cause us to try to control each other, and that destroys relationships.
Speaker 2: I hate you when people say that in a relationship, it is often a sign that somebody's trying to control somebody else. And what's beneath that control. What Tom talked about, fear insecurity causes us to try to control others, and insecurity causes us to resist the control of others, and that destroys relationships. You know, it's amazing dilemma as human beings we have. We long to be close, but we also fear being close. We want it, but we don't want it. We long to have intimacy with others, but we are also scared to death of having intimacy with others. Would you write this down? Insecurity prevents intimacy. Insecurity prevents intimacy. You can't get close to somebody if there's fear in the relationship, which is why living together it doesn't work in the long run, because you never know when somebody's gonna walk out. There's no lifetime commitment. So I'm gonna hold back because what if it doesn't work. It's only a situation where I say I'm committed regardless of weather we get along or not, We're gonna make this thing work. Then the fear vanishes, and then the intimacy, real intimacy rises. Now what do we fear in relationships? Well, we fear a couple things. First, we fear exposure, We fear that somebody is gonna find out what we're really like. And we fear that, so we hide ourselves, and we don't want people to know what we're really like. And this is man's oldest fear, all the way back with Adam the first Man in Genesis three, verse ten, he says, I was afraid because I was naked, and so I hid. I was afraid because I was naked.
Speaker 3: So I hit.
Speaker 2: When we're afraid, we hide ourselves, we cover up, we wear masks, we pretend to be people that were not. Now it's interesting today we don't have this problem anymore with a lot of people. Many people are not afraid at all of their physical nakedness. They walk around half naked, Okay, they walk around showing off barty parts I don't want to see, and so they're not ashamed of their physical nakedness, but they're scared the death of their emotional nakedness. That's what really scared them. I know a lot of people who flomp their bodies, who are extremely insecure, extremely insecure, and they're afraid of emotional nakedness. What if somebody understands finds out my fears, finds out my faults, finds out my dark side, find out the parts that I don't want anybody to know. And you see, fear makes us dishonest, and it causes us to build up walls, and the result nobody ever gets to know you, and you don't understand one of the things that God puts you on earth to.
Speaker 3: Do, and that is to be fully known.
Speaker 2: Everybody deserves to be fully known and to fully know somebody else, whether you ever get married or not. This is haws to do with soul to soul intimacy, and God designed the family, the church to do this, where we get to know each other on a gut level basis.
Speaker 3: And we fear exposure.
Speaker 2: But there's a fear even deeper than that, and it is the fear of rejection. And this may be the greatest fear in human beings, the fear of being rejected.
Speaker 3: We've all been rejected.
Speaker 2: At some point and we know how much that hurts, and so we feared and we close ourselves off as I'll never let anybody hurt me.
Speaker 3: Again, and we build up walls.
Speaker 2: Now, maybe you have been hurt by rejection by somebody, a boyfriend, an ex, or somebody a parent who said you're never gonna mount anything, or you're not good enough. And you felt the sting of rejection by a teacher or a coach or somebody.
Speaker 3: Maybe you even.
Speaker 2: Felt it by a so called quote Christian, somebody who claimed to be a believer, or maybe you felt it in a church, or maybe you felt then in a small group. And if so, I would say to you, I am sorry. I mean I am really sorry, and.
Speaker 3: God grieved at your rejection.
Speaker 2: In fact, if anybody understands rejection, it's Jesus Christ. Remember they nailed him to a cross. That is the ultimate rejection, so he understands how you felt. But as your pastor, I would beg you, please, please.
Speaker 3: Don't let that pardon your heart.
Speaker 2: Don't build up a wall, a crust, put yourself in an eggshell. That's a self imposed prison you don't want to be in. And when you won't let anybody get close to you, because I'll never let anybody hurt me again. You're making a terrible mistake. You're not living, You're just existing. And it is my job as your pastor, to help you and to encourage you and to say take the risk, have the courage to risk love again, Have the courage because if you will do and you will open up your life, and you will lower the berries, and you will let somebody have the potential to hurt you, you.
Speaker 3: Will come alive again in a way you have never ever experienced.
Speaker 2: Ask God for the courage to take that risk again, to be open, to be vulnerable. Now, let me talk to the guys for a minute, because men, we're the worst about this.
Speaker 3: As guys.
Speaker 2: We wear are We hold our cards close to us and we don't let our feelings be known. We don't let people know what we're really thinking or feeling. And I want to dare you to do a very courageous thing to be openly honest about what you're feeling. Now, you don't have to do it with everybody, but you need to do it with one person. You get in a group and share it with a group, or if that's too hard, get one Person's Tom talked about. I firmly believe in having a spiritual partner in life, one person that you can level with, you can encourage, you can grow, you can support, you can share, and somebody that you tell what you're really like to and they tell back.
Speaker 3: And that's a spiritual partner.
Speaker 1: What a great message from Pastor Rick today. There's something I always take away from his message. Here's Rick to tell you how you can help support this ministry.
Speaker 2: Jesus told his disciples that they should live their lives according to five specific purposes. He said, you've got to love God with all your heart. That's worship, and love your neighbors yourself. That's ministry. That's called the Great Commandment. And then Jesus said, go make disciples. That's evangelism. Baptize them into the Family of God. That's fellowship, a sign of fellowship. And then he said, teach them obey everything I've taught you. That's discipleship. And we call that the Great Commission. We believe it daily hope that a great commitment to the Great Commandment and the Great Commission will produce a great Christian, a great church, a great company, a great community. You know, I started Daily Hope so I could spread the good news about Jesus, not just across America, but all around the world. And we want people to know that God's word is filled with hope and truth, and the power that we need to follow him every day is available to every single one. You know, as well as I do that the Word of God changes lives. It's a live it's active, and it breathes new life and new love into all of our lives. So wherever you listen to this, whether you listen on the website, whether you listen on a radio station, or whether you listen to a podcast, you're a part of the Daily Hope family and I need your help. We could not do this without your support. We're one hundred percent listener funded. Would you continue to pray for this broadcast and would you continue to support us right to me let me hear from you. I absolutely love reading the stories that are sent to me. So write me, pray for me, and support this ministry, and God will bless it, and God will bless you, and we'll get to heaven, and we'll thank God for all the people going to be in heaven because you cared.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you'd like to support Pastor Rick's Daily Hope, just go to Pastorick dot com. That's Pastorick dot com. Or you can text the word hope to seven oh three oh nine. That's the word hope to seven oh three oh nine. And really, from the bottom of our hearts, we thank you so much for your support. Your gift to Daily Hope helps us share the hope of Christ with people everywhere. Hey be sure to join us next time when we look into God's Word for our daily hope. This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support.