Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by La Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talk. Like that, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Lone Depot Park in Miami where the Marlins defeat the Dodgers by a final score of eleven to nine. David Vaz say with you until the top of the hour on Dodger Talk. After the Dodgers played very sloppy defense in the first four innings of this game to give extra outs to the Marlins and somewhat stunning that the team with one of the worst offenses in all of Major League Baseball. In fact, the Marlins are the second worst run scoring team in baseball with the second worst team ops in baseball, and they put an eleventh spot on the Dodger pitching staff tonight. In the first inning, I thought Gavin Lux made a poor play. The Dodgers could have got it out there. Max Munsey, instead of tagging the runner that was going to third, tried to turn a double play that was a misqueue. In the fourth inning to Oscar Hernandez in left field, let a ball go off his glove that he should have caught routine fly ball from Connor Norby and combined with Bobby Ice melting in Miami, the Dodgers got beat up by the Marlins eleven to nine, and the Padres now are as close as they have been to the Dodgers in the NL West in the last three weeks.
Speaker 3: The Padres are three games back.
Speaker 2: Currently, they are hosting the Houston Astros in San Diego, so we'll give you updates on that game as things go along. Right now, they are scoreless in the top of the fourth inning at Peco Park between the Dodgers and Astros. It would be a huge win for the Astros to help the Dodgers out tonight because after winning those last two games in Atlanta, you would believe the Dodgers were going to come to Miami and carry that momentum. And unfortunately they just woke up too late in this game and they got a poor pitching for performance from Bobby Miller. Look, I still believe in Bobby Miller. I believe Bobby Miller is going to have a really good major league career, but there are no ways around it. It's a lost season at this point in time. For Bobby Miller, he's battled injuries and he is trying to pitch through a left knee issue that, no matter how much he says, isn't bothering him anymore. You have to believe it's affecting everything right now because you can't go from the guy we saw last year to this version of Bob Miller if there is not a physical ailment. And now not only is it physical, it's mental. You see a guy out there that's a shell of himself mentally. His confidence is not where we saw it last year. Where is the guy that was shouting down and staring down Ronald Acunya Junior. You don't see that guy. I haven't seen that guy all year long, and that just makes me believe he doesn't have confidence or conviction in what he's throwing, which is super disappointing. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from Bobby Miller on sports and at LA.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the main thing was just working behind hitters today. I mean, yeah, I finally cut the ball inside the ballpark, but I mean the downside, I mean two innings and a lot of pitches. I mean, the main goal today was keep the ball down and keep the ball on the ground, which I did for the most part. But you know, it was just finding gaps out there. So you know, at the end of the day, I was just falling behind accounts. That's really just the main thing. And I didn't have my best pitch working for me to change up. Yeah, I was leaning a lot more on the two seamer today. I thought that was working out pretty well, getting a lot more ground balls, But yeah, I was finding gaps and working behind the counts.
Speaker 1: No, Mark Cryer was out there kind of chatting with you. What was the conversation just amongst you guys, whether it was to find ways to settle you down or just kind of get out of some traffic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just talking about some sequencing. There's a couple of bad sequencing on my part, a couple of bad pitches that I shook to that I shouldn't have. But yeah, I mean they hit a couple of really good pitches as well. You know, Sanchez had a really good change up that I couldn't have executed any better. It was double down the line that threw above the strikes home. But I mean, at the end of the day, they were looking for a heater and it's pretty easy hit of hitter when you're looking for it, and Amander Lager can really do that. But yeah, at the end of the day, it's just you're not gonna have much success when you're working behind in the count.
Speaker 2: There's Bobby Miller on sports Net LA and look, that's not a good outing when you're working behind in the count. That's not good when you're throwing ball one instead of strike one. And also these pitchers, these Dodger pitchers, like Bobby Miller, they're throwing way too many pitches. And instead of Dodger infielders and outfielders being on their toes, they're on their heels because they're pitchers for the most part, guys like on nights like Bobby Miller's night, he's not throwing strikes and that's not conducive to anything on the field. And he put the Dodger bullpen in a bad spot again, not only tonight, but you need a good start from Landon Nack tomorrow because the Dodgers use quite a bit of their relievers tonight, even some guys that you would use with a lead, guys like Bruce dar Graderol Alex Vesia, Ryan Brasier, Michael Grove.
Speaker 3: And Daniel Hudson came in.
Speaker 2: And speaking of Daniel Hudson, he was taking this loss pretty hard because he gave up a two run home run in the eighth inning to Jake Berger, and with the Dodgers rallying in the top of the ninth inning scoring two of their own, that was the difference between the Dodgers sending this into extra innings and losing by two runs at the end of the game. This game was to me, the Dodgers gave this game away in the first four innings with the way they play defense and Bobby Miller only going two innings. But Daniel Hudson was seen in the Dodger dugout once it emptied in solitude, just obviously thinking about the pitch that he made to Jake Berger that Berger hit to center field for a two run home run which gave the Marlins a four run lead going into the ninth inning. And Berger, by the way, has certainly been an issue for the Dodgers. In only fifteen career games against the Dodgers, Berger has eight home runs eight six, six, two five. Seventy is the phone number you'll hear from Clayton Kershaw and Gavin Stone in a moment.
Speaker 3: But we want to get out.
Speaker 2: To you and uh, let's not overreact too much over this loss.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to Rancho Kuckamonga. Michael, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: How you doing, Michael, Hey, dB doing great?
Speaker 3: Thank you for one to put pressed.
Speaker 5: He sounds impressed, No, not depressed again. You know once again, you and Mona took all my talking points but pretty much touched on everything that I was going to ask. You know, if if it would make sense to uh bring up one of our younger guys and and said Bobby Miller, given that we got you know, eleven games left in the season. Uh, you know, unfortunately, like you said, you know, he just he just doesn't have it. You know, doesn't make much sense to run him out there again. You know, our pennis packs, we can see that, you know a lot of the guys that are high leverage guys quote unquote you know, just didn't perform well today. But you know the amount of innings that they've been pitching as a unit has been a lot lately, and just the mental errors, you know, the mental mistakes. I know, you know, Lux had a you know, a mental mistake. I think are a few in the Atlantic Series. So just you know you are on the Dodgers a lot. What do you think the mindset is with our defense and the attention to detail that's needed headed into the playoffs, given that we have only eleven games left, So just wanted to get your opinion on that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I think part of it is the pitchers, Michael, I mean the Dodger defense. Ever since Mookie Betts came back and they acquired Tommy Edmond and he's been playing.
Speaker 3: It's been solid.
Speaker 2: But these pitchers are throwing way too many pitches and innings and they're not throwing strikes. So the guys are on their heels and not on their toes. It's not an excuse, but that does happen. The Dodgers need strike throwers, They need their pitchers to throw strikes. They need quicker innings because we have seen longer innings with a lot of pitches being thrown in those innings. So if the Dodger pitchers can help themselves, it will help the defense behind them as well.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to Burbank.
Speaker 2: Andrew, You're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse live from Miami.
Speaker 6: Hi Andrew, Hi, Dave. How you doing tonight Beside the loss?
Speaker 3: I'm doing all right. It's an exciting season.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Dodgers have put on a great show this summer, but obviously it's a little bit of nervous time with a Division race as close as it's been for the first time in three weeks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I agree. I agree, And you know that that leads me to my question, you know, I mean, whether or not we see Bobby Miller again. You know that's out of my hands. I agree with you and Jose. I don't think there's any need for the Dodgers to run him out there again. But whether or not starting pitching being what it is, I'm just curious. How confident are you now that the Dodgers do win the Division? I mean, the Padres are playing great ball down South right now. As much as I hate to admit it, but they are. And then we got this series coming up with them where they look hungry, and frankly, we look defeated and tired.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say that on certain nights like tonight. It looks that way, but the Padres, there is no disputing this, Andrew. The Padres are playing the best baseball of their season. They got you Darvish back, they acquired ten Or Scott from the Marlins, and they got Fernando Tatist Junior back along with the guys they already had. So they are hungry. They are playing with an edge, and the Dodgers are going to have to match that intensity next week because you know, the Padres play with a lot of emotion against the Dodgers anyway, and the Dodgers have got to be up to match that to a certain extent next week at Dodgers Stadium. But hopefully between now and then, the Dodgers can get help from other teams to give them a little bit of a wider lead in the division, starting tonight with Houston.
Speaker 6: That's that's such an uneasy feeling, though, when your face is in your own hands like that, you know, I prefer if you know, the Dodgers could just win and you know, put it to bed themselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they they control their own destiny. They're not trailing the Padres. The Padres are trailing the Dodgers. And the calendar's working against the Padres. And right now I got good news for you. The Astros went up to nothing in the fourth inning. So and if the Dodgers, uh yeah, that might tonight might be a mulligan and a blown opportunity for the Padres. And trust me, that puts more pressure on them considering they're the ones trailing the Dodgers. Thanks for the phone call, appreciate it. Let's go out to David in La. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Miami.
Speaker 7: Hi, David, Hey, Dave, pleasures be speaking with you today.
Speaker 8: So the story rotation is very very there bones at the moment, and we don't have a break glass in case of emergency type starter anymore. You could probably argue about Rob Levski, but you know, we've heard, we've seen his his stuff up here, and he's just not ready. And there was a break glass in case of emergency kind of guy would be landing that, but he's already here. So I hope you forgive me for being a little a little crazy out here. Please know that I'm being a little facetious here. But how about we put up the bat signal, you know, we we call up you know, one Richard Joseph Hill, see what he's doing.
Speaker 7: He got de ustared by the Red Sox.
Speaker 8: Let's see if he wants to you know, like.
Speaker 6: Come on, I don't ring.
Speaker 3: I wasn't opposed to that.
Speaker 2: It was kind of strange how the Red Sox deffade him after picking them up. They put him in some weird situations where they put him in a game with the bases loaded after just signing him. A guy that has been throwing a hundred pitches out there in the Cape Cod Little League, and then you know, they brought him in on back to back days. He's forty four years old. I felt like if the Dodgers were going to sign rich Hill, it would have happened by now. But you know, stranger things have happened. But that's a lot to ask rich Hill to do, is to come in at this stage of the season and rescue the Dodgers. A guy that is more realistic David that could possibly make a start before the end of the regular season is Tony Gonsolin, who is going to make his third rehab start for Oklahoma City in five days from now. So I would I would remember that name because you may see Gonsolin before the end of the regular season and maybe even part of the NLDS postseason staff.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, no, of course, yeah no. We love the cat, Matt. We know what he's done. He's an all star, you know, took the back.
Speaker 2: Don't forget about Clayton Kershaw. Don't count out Kershaw either, David, thanks for the phone call. And speaking of Kershaw, you will hear from Clayton. We had a chance to catch up with him earlier today after he threw again off a flat round. He'll let you know how optimistic he is that he's going to return this year.
Speaker 3: So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: We got more Dodger Talk for you from Miami after the Marlins beat the Dodgers tonight eleven to nine on A five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available my podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassan, RG Rojas, swings and hammers. One jeep to left, that's going back. It is God over the wall.
Speaker 2: Ro left fielder Sanchez had it in his glove.
Speaker 3: And it leaped out over the wall.
Speaker 1: Into the bullpen for a home run and Rojas ties the game at fine.
Speaker 2: Miguel Rojas returning to Miami and continuing a great season for him. He just continues to be a big boost, not only with the glove but with the bat. Tonight has only hit a home run for the Dodgers in the fourth inning, his sixth of the season. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers own the dream. Even with Rojas's home run and Otani's forty eighth home run of the year, the Dodgers lost to the Marlins eleven to nine. You know, it's great that o'tani is going for fifty home runs in fifty stolen bases. He's forty eight forty eight. But this team is about winning and right now the Dodger lead is down to three games. It's the closest the Padres have been to the Dodgers in three weeks. So you know this isn't like the Angels. Rodgers are a winning team and have had a winning team since twenty thirteen running. We're not celebrating forty eight home runs on a night the Dodgers lose to the Marlins. I'm sorry, that's not just what we do the Dodgers, and I'm sure Otani at this stage don't care.
Speaker 3: He hit a home run and a loss.
Speaker 2: I thought his biggest at bat was in the sixth inning when he came up with runners at the corners and two outs and struck out. Just not trying to do too much right there. He's got to be able to shorten his swing and you know, bring out, as Dave Roberts likes to say, a different club. We've been seeing wild swings by Otani, and tonight was his first home run of the road trip.
Speaker 3: And look, he's human.
Speaker 2: You gotta know he's thinking about fifty home runs, but certain situations don't call for that type of swing. And in the sixth inning, I felt like there should have been a different type of swing from Otani in that situation.
Speaker 3: But he's not perfect. He is going to make outs.
Speaker 2: But the reality is the second half of the season, yes, he's hitting home runs, but He's only a two point thirty hitter the second half of the year, so you want to see a little more contact from him. But unfortunately, Otani and the Dodgers fall to the Marlins tonight. Eleven to nine eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number we were talking about the Dodger pitching staff as we get closer to October. Right now, my top four Dodger starters to make a playoff start are Jack Flaherty, Yamamoto, Walker Bueller, and tomorrow starter Landon Knack and Clayton Kershaw may be part of that picture if this left big toe.
Speaker 3: Of his cooperates.
Speaker 2: And again today Kershaw was throwing off flat round with his spikes on, and we really haven't gotten an update from him on how much that left toe has improved. So since he came into the clubhouse, I took the opportunity to ask the future Hall of Famer whether or not the left big toe has improved at all, to give him hope that he will be back this season.
Speaker 9: This is making progress, you know. I think able to throw off the mound a little bit now. It's just trying to keep my arm going as best I can you know, the endurance part of it. So I'm throwing a lot of throws, just not at you know, max intensity, just because I can't quite push off the way I want to yet. But there's definitely some improvement. I think it's getting there, not as fast as I like, but it's definitely getting there. And I think the good news is, you know, the rehab part should be short since I'm able to keep my arm going pretty good. And I'm hopeful, you know, I know we don't have a lot of time left, but I'm hopeful that, you know, in these next twelve days, there's a chance that I could get back out there. So it's gonna be close. But I'm I'm I'm not I'm remaining optimistic.
Speaker 2: I guess, is there any medical quick fix or is it just rest and managing it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I don't think. Yeah, some things just take time. Unfortunately, you know, I'm not the most patient person ever, so it's not I wish there's just some miracle thing I could do. But ultimately, yeah, it just needs time and I think we have enough of it, so we'll see.
Speaker 2: Time for a postseason play. Is that what you're talking about? As far as time, I don't know.
Speaker 9: I think time to obviously the postseason, but you never know. I mean, I keep thinking I'll wake up and be able to pitch, you know, so maybe maybe one of these next twelve days that'll happen and we'll see.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Clayton Kershaw earlier today giving us the latest update on his left big toe. I never thought I would be giving you an update on Kershaw's left big toe, but that's where things are at right now. And you got to imagine that it is extremely painful for him to be sitting out this much time, and it seems like it's more than a turf toe. It seems like there is a little bit more extended damage in there, or he would have been back by now. And I think you know, those that are counting Kershaw out are doing so as always a little prematurely. As I have told you, you don't count the great ones out. And that's another reason why getting a bye and not playing in that Wildcard series is even more advantageous to the Dodgers. Number one, they have a very thin starting staff, and number two, you get guys like Kershaw back and healthy by getting five more extra days before Game one or the first game you play in the postseason. So I know in the last two years we have talked about how those five days off may have worked against the Dodgers, but it feels like those five days off this year are more needed than ever before. So hopefully the Dodgers can find a way to secure division lead and also secure one of the top two spots in the National League. The Brewers aren't going anywhere. The Padres are not going anywhere, and that's why the next two games here against one of the worst offenses in baseball, the Marlins, the Dodgers have to come up with two wins.
Speaker 3: There's no way around it.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to backtrack now and tell you, oh, come on, these are no big deal these losses. After telling you for the last month the Dodgers nine of their last twelve were against the Marlins and Rockies.
Speaker 3: They've got to win these games.
Speaker 2: They've got to win these series, especially with the Padres playing so well and the Padres coming into town next week. Eight six six seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Irvine Wendell. You're on Dodger Talk Live from Miami.
Speaker 6: Hi, Wendell, dated in Miami days.
Speaker 3: How you doing days, I'm doing great. What'd you think think about what Kershaw had to say?
Speaker 7: Well, honestly, I think Krishall is a non factor. I actually think he's gonna be a detriment to the team. What. Yeah, he's last postseason and he just doesn't think he didn't have it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his shoulder was hanging by a thread. He had to have surgery. Aren't you going to give him any credit for going on the mound. There's other guys like Max Scherzer, who tapped out in playoff games for a.
Speaker 3: Lot less.
Speaker 6: Kershaw is.
Speaker 5: You know, I I love the guy.
Speaker 7: He's he's like a family member in terms of.
Speaker 3: You know, your family member out of the house.
Speaker 7: Well, I just so I kind of wanted to highlight this point. So although the pitching staff isn't, you know, locked down, I actually think that could be a favorable, uh factor, because it really is going to force the offense to perform. And if you remember twenty seventeen twenty twenty teams, those teams, specifically the twenty seventeen Dodger teams, those were the comeback kids. Those guys were coming back. I think it was fifty games that they came back that season, So that to me and to them says, no big we're down, we know we're going to come back.
Speaker 2: So you saw that tonight the Dodgers almost came back from four runs down in the ninth inning. I'm with you, Wendel. They have the offense to be able to come back. There's no question in my mind about the offense. It's just about getting better starting pitching and not putting yourself in a four to nothing hole.
Speaker 3: Even to the Marlins after.
Speaker 2: Two innings, they've got to get more than two innings out of their starters. There's just such a domino effect in a negative way when you only get two or three innings from your starter and when they leave they've thrown sixty five pitches. It's an hour into the game and your infielders and outfielders are basically using focus out there. Speaking of starting pitching, we had an exclusive conversation with Gavin Stone before the game today and he gave us an update on where he's at with his mind and his shoulder as we are getting closer to the end of the regular season.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think that the plan is to throw at some point later this week. You know, just trying to get that inflammation to go down a little bit, take the pain out of the back of the shoulder. But you know, it feels a lot better. I feel stronger in a lot of positions, and so hopefully, you know, whenever I start throwing again, there's no pain.
Speaker 3: So is that really the biggest check?
Speaker 2: You might be throwing from sixty feet and figure out where you're gonna go from there.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I mean, as long as there's no pain that I'm gonna throw. So that's really the only issue is just cleaning that up in the back of the shoulder and then seeing where that is right now. I really don't have many answers right now, but hopefully, like whenever I start throwing, there's no pain.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: That's Gavin Stone and he was in great spirits. He's been in great spirits on this road trip and we're key up and our fingers crossed for Gavin Stone, who's a great guy. If you want to hear the full interview, find it on the iHeartRadio app. We do have good news at the end of five The Astros are still holding on to a two to nothing lead over the Padres at pet Goo Park.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: It will be landon Nack on the Mound for the Dodgers. He's two and four with an ERA of three seventy, going up against former padre Ryan Weathers, who has made thirteen starts this season for the Marlins. He's three and five with an ERA of three fifty five. Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at two thirty tomorrow with first pitch at three forty from Miami. My thanks to Dwayne McDonald here in Miami, thanks to Colin Yee back at our burd Bank Studios, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it as well on the iHeartRadio app like subscribe, do all that stuff so you don't miss any of the interviews, the shows, the latest news, the exclusive news that you only find right here on Dodgers Radio, and five to seventy LA Sports once again the final score from Miami. The Marlins take advantage of the Dodgers and beat them eleven to nine. We'll talk to you tomorrow. Fox Sports Radio is next. Have a great rest of your night.
Speaker 3: See us