Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Neil is still under the weather and he is not.
Speaker 1: Joining us today and he will be here on Monday. So Neil has a couple of choices. He can come or he can die. Matter of fact, you know, we ought to do. We ought to do like a football pool, alive or not alive?
Speaker 2: What's not and what odds.
Speaker 1: Ooh odds that Neil comes in or Neil survives the weekend?
Speaker 2: And now handle on the news, Ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle. I can't hey, everybody, Bill Handle here.
Speaker 1: It is a Monday morning, January twentieth. It is in inauguration day. So let me ask you. Is my a little bit off in terms of repeating myself?
Speaker 2: Do we have an echo?
Speaker 3: You've got to mute yourself?
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: I can't mute because my computer is all screwed up. I'm trying to mute and my uh.
Speaker 2: It won't load.
Speaker 3: At this point, none of us hear it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean, kno, is that going on?
Speaker 3: We're good?
Speaker 2: Oh, we're good.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, it's and I can't I can't see anybody either.
Speaker 4: So we're all right here for you, Billy.
Speaker 1: A minute, hang on, hang on, we see you.
Speaker 4: You have your flowered shirt on.
Speaker 1: Okay, well I can't see you because I am. What I have to do is I'm broadcasting from home today.
Speaker 2: So here's what's going on.
Speaker 1: Is usually the monitor where I can see everybody, won't be won't load?
Speaker 4: So was it just okay when I was talking to you?
Speaker 1: Uh not when you were talking to me? It's okay a few minutes ago and then it went dark, So I will figure out. I will call Engineering.
Speaker 3: Well, you're you're hiding it beautifully. I don't think the audience.
Speaker 4: No one knows.
Speaker 2: No one knows except I know.
Speaker 1: And so to be a favorite and call engineering and have them straightened out.
Speaker 2: It's about an hour and a half drive down here, so we'll we'll be okay on that.
Speaker 1: I'm going just this, just want load, okay, we'll do it without me seeing you guys.
Speaker 2: But I think the rest of it is okay, right right, No, it's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I don't care about the listener. This is about me being able to see.
Speaker 3: Come on, I understand, yeah, yeah, come on, give me a break.
Speaker 2: That's what this show is about.
Speaker 1: Okay, guys, Uh, until I get your monitor. Uh, we'll still do it, and we'll pretend I have it. And there's really no way for you to know. Oh, hold on, there you go, There you go. It just loaded.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you are, Neil, good morning, welcome back. There you are.
Speaker 1: And behind him he has the American flag and a drawing a line drawing portrait of Martin Luther King because today is.
Speaker 2: Also Martin Luther King Day.
Speaker 1: Indeed, so it is particularly appropriate that we have an inauguration of a president on Martin Luther King Day.
Speaker 2: It's it's a nice combination, it really is. Okay, let's say hello to everybody else. Cono, good morning.
Speaker 3: Also National Championship Day, So happy championship? What college football?
Speaker 2: That's right? When is the games it? Tonight?
Speaker 1: Tonight is gonna be the Yeah, the national football who's playing?
Speaker 3: Even Ohio State want to lose. We want Ohio State to win.
Speaker 1: Okay, Ohio State's there for a zillion times as Notre Dame. I mean, they're both powerhouses, to say the least. Except the people at Notre Dame. They have Jesus on their side. See the rest of the teams don't understand. Did know Pro football they go in and college football they go into the locker room prior to the game, and they all pray to God, depending on which God you believe in or the one Guy, and they know that this game God's on their side. God is an amazing football He's not only a legend in his own time, he's a huge football fan.
Speaker 2: Did you know that?
Speaker 3: Well, they were originally the Fighting Jesus. Yeah, they changed it. Yeah, Irish guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Irish.
Speaker 1: And they're drunk when they go on the field, they stagger, and they still win games.
Speaker 2: Go figure that one out.
Speaker 1: Amy, Oh, Red, white and Blue today, Yeah, very nice, very presidential.
Speaker 2: I like that, very patriotic. All right.
Speaker 1: And finally, Amy, good morning, Amy? You mean an I'm that's sorry, And there you go. My computer is moving people around, so I'm used to that.
Speaker 2: I'm conflating every day.
Speaker 3: What won't Well, now that you can see us, there's certainly no way to make a mistake.
Speaker 2: But really, have you ever listened to this show.
Speaker 3: I actually do the show without headphones on as a way.
Speaker 1: To Okay, let's do it, guys. I mean, today is a relatively important day. We have a historic day. We have a lot of presidential history and Amy just see not add Amy did some inauguration facts, which we're going to do at eight point thirty. Just some great history of inaugurations. By the way, Amy, do you are you where? I don't know if you cover this, because I was preparing that the Bible is not necessary at all. Yes, yep, And you don't have to swear so help me God. That is not in the Constitution at all. And you can say I affirm.
Speaker 4: Only one has done that.
Speaker 2: That's Hoover.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's what changed it, right, Amy, I was listening to you earlier.
Speaker 5: Well, they just added it. So if they want to say affirm, they can. But he's the only one who did.
Speaker 2: Well, they have to say that, they have to say.
Speaker 1: And the first person to say, so help me God, what George Washington. So he started the non constitutional version of the acceptance of the Presidency. And it's only it's like four lines and that's it.
Speaker 3: Is there another book that they put their hand on.
Speaker 2: They can put it on anything. They don't need a Bible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, but I thought there was another something or other.
Speaker 5: But I one of the members, one of the presidents. I just put my cheat sheet away, put his hand on his law book. But and then he had the constitution, had.
Speaker 1: A constitution in there, and it's great fun. And then you don't need a judge to do it. Anybody can do it. Calvin Coolidge, his dad did it. His dad swore him in and his dad was a notary public. It's really interesting. But inaugurations have their own I need their own panoply, and then they have their own version of how it goes.
Speaker 2: And it's now become Deray Gore.
Speaker 1: And by the way, inaugural speech is not necessary at all.
Speaker 2: There's nothing in the Constitution about inaugural speech at all.
Speaker 1: The same thing with the State of the Union. Literally, it's the state of the Union. Literally, the President seal shall address from time to time the state of the Union, and all he has to do is the state of the Union. Is great done, there's the date of the Union. Can be done any time, not after inaugurate and not during the first year. It's great stuff, it really is. We'll do more of that coming up at eight thirty two. Frad Meltzer is joining us eight o'clock. An author we've had a ton of times, and he is a notable historian. And you know how crazy I am about history. And we're going to talk about the assassination of JFK in nineteen sixty the attempted assassination that was close.
Speaker 2: Right after he was elected.
Speaker 1: And I'll go this fascinating stuff. Okay, let's do it, guys, jack you take a shot at him. Well, no, do you know that Jackie spoke fluently now French, Spanish, German and a little bit of English. She was a very interesting lady. Yeah, all right, guys, let's do it.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. Okay, it's noon. That's when he swore it in. Okay, let's move on.
Speaker 1: There's that's it, because a bunch of stuff. Security is insane. Twenty five thousand security personnel, cops and Secret Service and National Guard, I mean, it's insane. Oh.
Speaker 2: Also, they moved it inside.
Speaker 4: So none of those two thousand people who are who.
Speaker 2: Have tickets hotel room yep.
Speaker 1: However, it's in the rotunda, which interestingly enough, is where the January sixth crowd overran the Capitol. And you are going to hear the first time in the history of the Nited States. There will be a quarter of a million people in the rotunda. It will be the biggest crowd you have ever seen in the rotunda, bigger than any other inauguration in history.
Speaker 2: And it's inside.
Speaker 3: Wasn't Obama's the biggest?
Speaker 2: Probably probably, We don't know. You know.
Speaker 1: You get estimates, You get estimates, and that's about it.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Oh, and there'll be a bunch of inaugural balls tonight. There isn't just one. There are bunches of them that the President and the first Lady sort of go five minutes each one, and they do a little dance and they go to the next one. And some people pay to go to the inaugural ball, and some people are in to the inaugural ball.
Speaker 3: Now, is Trump going to come out and say his balls are the biggest and very.
Speaker 2: Strong, very strong.
Speaker 3: Nobody is held balls like kicks ever.
Speaker 1: And he has more balls, not only in terms of his presidency, but in terms of numbers.
Speaker 3: Who we had wait balls?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move on. Okay, we've done that joke. All right, We've sort of stretched that one to the limit.
Speaker 5: Okay, hopefully just the first of many. The first three hostages have been released from Gaza, and the first round of Palestinian prisoners ninety of them were freed from Israeli custody as the ceasefire between Israel and Hamas got underway yesterday following fifteen months of war. Palestinians again across Gaza are now able to start making their way home if there is anything left to go back to. And the first aid trucks, like six hundred of them got into Gaza yesterday.
Speaker 1: You know what's missing with this exchange where the Israeli army came in in an incursion and just kicked the crap out of insert name of Arab or Palestinian army here. You're not hearing mass excitement of thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians screaming we've won, its victory, which has happened every single time. They've always won, no matter what happened, victory parties, because we got rid of the Israelis, none of that. You're not hearing we've won. You've hearing celebration that the ceasefires kicked in, but not massive we won. Because I'd love to see Palestinians screaming with Hamas, screaming we've won, We've won, as they look at miles of debris where they're where their homes and businesses used to be. Oh, by the way, here's another little here's another little point I want to bring up if I can, that for the last ten years, or actually since Ramas took power, they didn't build infrastructure, schools, hospitals, didn't increase their water supply, their ability to water supply. They spent all their money building tunnels, and the tunnels were only for Ramas as militants.
Speaker 2: Do you know. And here's one that when the bombing.
Speaker 1: Took place, when hospitals were being bombed and there were tunnels underneath hospitals, civilians weren't allowed in them as bomb shelters. Only the militants were allowed in those tunnels. If that goes to show you what's going on. All right, let's move on.
Speaker 3: All right. The President Joe Biden has pardoned everyone in the United States.
Speaker 2: Accept us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just wanted to see if i'd get any one's attention. President Joe Biden has partnered doctor Anthony Fauci, retired General Mark Millie, and members of the House committee that investigated the January sixth attack on the Capitol. So that means, you know, you've got GOP folks in there as well. The interesting thing.
Speaker 2: Here is.
Speaker 3: It's at first you can roll your eyes, but actually it kind of protects the oh yeah, the fact that you can go after a president if necessary.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's a former president. You can't go after a president.
Speaker 3: But it was a former president.
Speaker 1: I guess it was, and it was a preemptive. Well, absolutely, you can pardon a former president. That's exactly what Gerald Ford did with Nixon. This is preemptive pardons. Pardons are all usually after the fact, and they're usually for individuals Mark Rich who was a zillionaire and Bill Clinton pardoned him somehow, Mark Rich, who was under indictment for stealing money I mean by the hundreds of millions of dollars. And these pardons are where people who Trump have said we are going to put I am going to put them in prison, those that were my enemies, the January sixth Committee, the people who have come out Liz Cheney. I mean, it's so Biden said, nope, nope, okay, let's move on preemptive pardon. Now would in reality you would see Liz Cheney being put in prison for what treason?
Speaker 2: I have no idea but.
Speaker 3: He's just he's been whittled down to just crank calling her at night.
Speaker 1: I guess, so, yeah, no, But you know, there as far as the enemies list, which I forgot the name of the nominee for is it homeland Security? One of the cabinet positions says, yeah, that there is no or will be no enemies list.
Speaker 2: Okay, and by the way, although the I R.
Speaker 1: S could come down pretty hard on these people, and then the argument is that's your normal audit, they're what Nixon did that? My god, did Nixon do that with the enemy's list? Straight out? Morley Safer, who was sixty minutes, who was in sixty minutes, he was one.
Speaker 2: Of the reporters, the original reporters of.
Speaker 1: Sixty minutes, who, by the way, did the segment on me when I was on sixty minutes.
Speaker 2: Is he had said, and there was a list, There was an enemies list that was part of the Nixon presidency.
Speaker 1: And Morley Safer said that I take that as a badge of honor. Being on that enemy's list was honor. So that's just the way he did it. Okay, just a little bit of is that gerbilish? Is that sort of in the Gurbil department. Also all these useless facts in the meantime. You know, what did I have ten minutes ago for my breakfast? And I don't know, I don't remember.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's a long list of promises. Trump told thousands of fans and an arena rally victory rally yesterday that he would fix every single crisis facing our country. He said, tomorrow at noon, which will be today, the curtain closes on four long years of American decline, and we begin a brand new day of American strength, prosperity, dignity, and pride.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of rhetoric, but a lot of presidents do that.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of promises made.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, okay, American strength. We're pretty strong. We haven't gotten weaker. Of prosperity. We're pretty prosperous. The country is in very good shape now. Dignity and pride arguable. You can look at dignity and pride and look at both sides of that that. I have no question that he could do that. Inflation, he could bring it down from two point three to two point one and wipe out inflation completely. The only thing that I think he can do in terms of how do you bring down prices? What people get less money, hamburgers, cost less McDonald's oil and gas.
Speaker 2: I think he can do something about And.
Speaker 1: Because he is going to push fossil fuels, he is going to push drilling like crazy, eliminate environmental controls on fossil fuels. That disappears anything control that, it will be gone. And if you drill, drill, drill, as he has said, drill, baby, drill, there will be more oil.
Speaker 2: There will be more oil, and.
Speaker 1: More oil means that gasoline will go down. That is volatile. So we'll see you know again. The executive orders are going to be fun. Neil talk about that.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 3: I will tell you that that pen is going to be on fire. It's going to be writing so fast. Donald Trump plans to sign more than fifty executive orders today and possibly some have said more than one hundred.
Speaker 4: Some sources are saying two hundred.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a pretty wide range. We're not sure how many signatures he can do.
Speaker 1: He can say that his hand is going to cramp. I think he was quoted as that some point he's just going to get a big rubber stamp. Yeah, And we we talk a little bit about executive orders at seven point thirty, because there is a lot to say about executive orders, what can be done, what can't be done, And it's very interesting as to executive orders, and there's a whole lot of President can do and a whole lot he can't do.
Speaker 3: Or sh'll be interesting because the first wave of these orders seem to be something that is going to roll out later in the week, but they're expected to include a mix of campaign trail promises, like reversal of outgoing President Biden's policies about Yeah, he's going to do that, restructuring the federal workforce, that's pretty easy.
Speaker 2: He's going to do that.
Speaker 1: Immigration, He's going to come down hard on immigration because he really feels it's not just a campaign promise. He feels immigration as one of the big problems that to him is no joke. That's just not a promise for a campaign. That's part of his psyche. And so you will see that, You'll be seeing environmental programs undone, You're you're going to see some things, but the biggest one that he feels about, from my understanding, is immigration.
Speaker 3: And we have the Delta smelt fishing contest.
Speaker 2: It's going to be it's going to be really and some of those.
Speaker 1: By the way, he's right because when you look at environment, I'm fine with fossil fuels, but stopping a three hundred million dollars damn for the Delta smelt is it doesn't pass the smelt test.
Speaker 3: Malanya is going to come out with her lovely spotted owl coke.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, now, and that's what they're going to serve the first night. By the way, eagle and spotted owl. Okay, let's move on.
Speaker 4: TikTok's ticking again.
Speaker 5: After a blackout that lasted about fourteen hours and people got messages when they tried to open the app saying sorry, we're not.
Speaker 4: Available, TikTok is back.
Speaker 5: The video app was taken offline Saturday night to comply with the new law that was going into effect on January nineteenth that banned the service unless it sold to a US company, But on Saturday, Google and Apple remove the app from their stores, and then on Sunday, President elect Trump effectively reversed the blackout. He posted on truth social and said he vowed to pause the law. He said he would extend a liability shield to tech companies that support TikTok as the app's future has worked out right.
Speaker 2: For ninety days.
Speaker 1: So he's not saying TikTok is back full blast. What he's saying is, let's slow it down and really take a good hard look at TikTok because there are legitimate security nation security concerns at the same time their first Amendment, and I think for him going in favor of TikTok, a lot of Republicans are not happy because of the communist Chinese government. Ability to know everything about us hasn't been proved that yet it's happened, but they'll have the ability, or TikTok has the ability, which it does, all of the major platforms can find out everything there is about us.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know it's sexier than billionaires trillionaires. The first trillionaires are on their way. Five people. Wow, five what are their four hundreds change billionaires? So five people are expected to amass at least one trillion dollars in wealth within the next decade. So the current trends as they stand, if they continue that way, According to oxfam's annual Inequity Inequality rather Report released just yesterday, Tesla's SpaceX CEO of course. Elon Musk, currently the world's richest person worth more than four hundred and thirty billion, should cross the mark in just under five years.
Speaker 1: It's pretty impressive, and because he needs the money. By the way, there's twenty seven hundred billionaires running around there in the world, is it really Yeah, a lot.
Speaker 2: Of billionaires, a lot of billionaires. Trillion dollars is more than the gross.
Speaker 1: Domestic product of many, many countries around the world. Elon Musk, and he's probably richer than the entire product of I don't know, not the Big Five, of course, but well, actually, yeah, you know, I'd like to look that up and see how many how many countries I hit at trillion dollars in GDP.
Speaker 3: Gosh, they wouldn't even talk to you, these guys. Yeah, he'll soon be joined probably by Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and then Oracle founder Larry Ellison, and you've got CEO Mark Zuckerberg and so on. So we'll see if this plays out. But isn't that crazy. It's just going to keep going. At some point, it's gonna.
Speaker 1: Well, it's going to be very good, very good for business under Donald Trump. Donald Trump loves business. Coming from the world of business, and that's who he is. Obama came from the world of what nonprofits. He was an attorney for nonprofits, helping people register to vote and getting government services.
Speaker 2: So it's different worlds.
Speaker 5: Trump's about to take his first trip the president elect soon to be the president, says he'll visit southern California areas affected by the historic wildfires on Friday. California Governor Newsom's spokesperson said last night the governor's office is glad Trump accepted the invitation to come to la He.
Speaker 1: Sort of has to any president when you have a disaster of this magnitude, has to show up and should show up. And he is doing the right thing by showing up, and he'll be talking and he'll talk about the video that he has Gavin Newsom actually igniting the fires.
Speaker 3: Chef Andrew Gruehl and his wife Lauren, I believe on social media invited him out for the world's Best steak if he comes to Calico Fish House well done.
Speaker 4: Yes, doesn't he like to eat his steaks well done or.
Speaker 2: Something crazy and loves die of coke.
Speaker 3: I will tell you something though, if you're going to have a steak. Have chef Andrew Gruhle Okay, cookie that steak, all right. Donald and Malania Trump launched their pair of meme coins ahead of the inaugurations. So these meme coins are basically garbage and it's just basically running off of like current events or pop culture. They're super volatile and now you can get either Millennia one or a Trump one.
Speaker 2: Although to give them credit, they both.
Speaker 1: Contain disclaimers saying the coins are not intended.
Speaker 2: With as an investment at all.
Speaker 1: You're not looking at them like bitcoin, where you're actually investing money. It's not investment, contract any security. It's mainly celebrating Donald and Milania. And of course what two hundred how many two hundred million coins will be circulating?
Speaker 2: Cap to thirteen billion?
Speaker 1: And I'm wondering how many Milania and Donald I have because they need more money. You know, True Social I think his his what is it the amount of money has and True Social is in the billions of dollars he's already made on that. It's interesting stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: Grocery prices are on the rise again, the cost of groceries.
Speaker 4: What Anne, she yelled something at.
Speaker 5: Us groceries in the US increased one point eight percent from a year earlier in December. That's the fastest pace in more than a year and said to be because of several things, including bird flus killing chickens, which is cutting egg supplies. Extreme heat and dry weather in the coffee growing regions have you know, increased the cost of coffee. Chocolate and cereal makers have been raising prices too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and all of this has to do with, for example, eggs. You know, I had no idea. Eggs seem to be the driver here because everybody eat eggs and lots of them, and you have the egg price as well. I just went egg shopping yesterday and I happen to be with somebody lindsay wants happy eggs, not only cage free by free range happy eggs.
Speaker 2: Free range birds nine dollars a dozen.
Speaker 3: I will tell you right before they become chicken food. They're not so happy.
Speaker 1: No, no, they're not happy, but they're they're their eggs or no, you know, they're runnings and they're really hard shell and they're brown and they're more yellow. Are they worth nine dollars a dozen? I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Where you can get.
Speaker 3: Question exact same nutrition there's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I know. It's just you need happy, happy eggs.
Speaker 3: As a kid, we used to throw them at houses.
Speaker 2: That's I know. Yeah, that makes you happy. Those are happy eggs when you egg a house.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, we are done. This is KFI AM six point forty. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.