Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI hand KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 4: It's five o'clock.
Speaker 1: This is your wake up call for Monday, September sixteenth.
Speaker 4: I'm Amy King.
Speaker 1: Good morning. Time to stop hitting the snooze and get out of bed. I got my coffee. I didn't get my breakfast this morning. Are you one of those people who you can just go for hours and hours without eating. I have one of my best friends doesn't. She doesn't eat until like noon. I'm like, if I don't eat until at like right when I'm up, my brain gets a little scattered.
Speaker 4: So today could be fun. Do you ever have bugs fly into your house?
Speaker 1: So yesterday I was out watering the plants, came back in, was doing something in the kitchen and this big old something is fluttering around in the kitchen.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what is that?
Speaker 1: It lands it's a praying mantis in my house. It wasn't one of the ginormous ones like because I've seen him where they're like four or five inches long. But he was like a good three inches long and he was flying around. So I was like, okay, great, what am I going to do with that? Well, if I leave him, the cats are going to get him. So I trapped him with a Martini glass, gently placed paper underneath, and took him back out onto the balcony. And then, you know how they look at you. He just sat and stared at me and they kind of tilt their head. They're really kind of freaky. Anyway, I was wondering if that sign of good luck though, because you.
Speaker 4: Know how like it's it a it's not a firefly, it's a oh what's that? What's the bug that's supposed to be a good luck? Not a grasshopper? Ladybugs?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Oh shoot, lady bugs are good luck?
Speaker 1: Well, ladybugs are good I can't remember they made a movie about it. Kevin Costner was in it. Oh, I'll think about it. You guys know what I'm talking about. Though, there's some bug that's supposed to be goodluck. So I was wondering if maybe it was good luck that a praying Mansis came into my house. I don't know Emmy's were.
Speaker 4: On last night.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch it all, but I watched the Big Ones and I have to tell you I just watched Showgun.
Speaker 4: Remember I told you about it on Amy's on It.
Speaker 1: It was great and it cleaned up and was super surprised and super happy that Hacks won for Best Comedy. We're gonna find out all about that, what you missed if you missed it, and get a recap from ABC's Jason Nathanson. That's coming up before the bottom of the hour. Here's what's ahead on Wake Up Call. For the second time in two months, an attempt has been made on former President Trump's life. The Secret Services agents fired at a man with an AK style rifle who was about four to five hundred yards away from Trump. He was playing golf at the Trump International Golf Course in Paul Palm Beach County yesterday. S Yeah, I told you, I got to get my food. The suspected shooter took off in an suv but was arrested in a neighboring county. We're gonna be talking with ABC Stephen Portnoy more about the shooting, what we know about the would be shooter. Coming up at five point twenty. Did you feel it there was some more rumbling in the Southland. A three point six quake shook Malibu this morning. The US Geological surveyces the quake happened at four twenty two, about four miles north of Malibu. That's near where a four point seven quake shook the area last Thursday. We're gonna be talking with US Geological Survey seismologist Susan Huff about what's up with all the shaking we've been having. Some residents on the northern side of Palas Verdi's estates are about to get their power and gas service shut off. The city, says SoCal Edison is cutting city service to Rolling Hills the state's residents no later than Wednesday at six because of the shifting land at six five. It's handle on the news just in time for the Emmys. Disney and Direct TV struck a deal. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Members of Congress have requested a briefing with the Secret Service to learn the details of the second attempted assassination of former President Trump. He was at Trump International Golf Course in West Palm Beach, Florida, yesterday when police say an agent saw a person with a rifle and some bushes.
Speaker 6: That'd immediately engaged that individual.
Speaker 1: Palm Beach County Sheriff Rick Bradshaw says shots were fired and the man took off. A witness told police about the alleged shooter's car and it was stopped in neighboring Martin County.
Speaker 6: In the bushes where this guy was is a eight K forty seven style rifle with a scope, two backpacks which were hung on the fifths that had a ceramic tile in him had a go pro.
Speaker 1: ABC News says officials are looking into whether the guy arrested, Ryan Ruth, had grievances related to Ukraine and was from strated with Trump's position on the war with Russia. News brought to you by Benjamin Moore. Human skeletal remains have been found in running springs in an area of the fire that started in Highland. Investigators in San Bernardino County say the remains were found Saturday afternoon by deputies who were on what they call a proactive patrol of an area that's closed off Highway three thirty. Officials say the bones appeared to have been in the area for quite a while and investigators don't believe the death is related to the fire. Showgun showed just about everyone up. At the seventy sixth Annual Emmy.
Speaker 7: Awards, Showgun won Outstanding Drama and Lead Actor for harro Yuki Sonata and Lead Actress for Anna sa Y. It also broke the record for most wins by a show in a single season at eighteen.
Speaker 8: This show has has changed my life.
Speaker 7: The Bear took home four awards, including Best Actor for Jeremy Allen White. Tony Foster won her first ever Emmy Award, taking home the prize for her role in True Detective Night Country. She expressed her gratitude to the native people in northern Alaska.
Speaker 3: They just told us.
Speaker 5: Their stories and they allowed us to listen, and that was just a blessing.
Speaker 7: Baby Reindeer one Outstanding Limited Series. Greater and star Richard Gadd had some inspirational words in his acceptance speech.
Speaker 2: Take Risks, Push Boundaries, explore the uncomfortable dance have failed in order.
Speaker 7: To achieve, and Hacks beat out The Bear for Best Comedy Series and Best Lead Actress.
Speaker 4: Jeane Smart was taking it all in stride.
Speaker 5: I appreciate this because I just don't get enough attention.
Speaker 4: Heather Brooker, can you find news.
Speaker 1: It's five oh seven on your Monday morning wake up call. Let's say good morning to ABC's Geordana Miller. I'm going to say it right for one time, Geordana. I'm going to get it. Eventually. It's only been a year and I still just gravitate back to Jordana. Yeah, Okay, onto more serious things. Huti's fired a barrage of rockets into Israel.
Speaker 9: Well, the huties fired. They've been firing barrages of rockets, but one actually evaded Israel's air defense systems on Sunday and contral Israel. It appears that an interception. There were several attempts that failed. One hit the rocket that didn't destroy it. It fell at the edge of a forest not far from Tel Aviv, not far from the international airport. Thankfully, no injuries, some fires that broke out from different shrapnel. But now we're in another situation where you know everybody is waiting because he is really Prime Minister and said he will respond to this stripe. And remember last time the Huti's managed to evade the General's air defense system. They fired a drone that hit a building in Tel Aviv actually not far from the US embassy there, the US Consulate building, and killed one Israeli and shortly thereafter, less than forty eight hours later, Israel bombed the port in Yemen how Dada, which is used merely by the Houtis, but for it is still not fully operational since that bombing in July, so we're waiting to see what happens.
Speaker 4: This was a.
Speaker 9: Blunder by the Israeli Army, by their air defense systems, and they're also investigating that.
Speaker 1: Okay, And you say it was a blunder because it didn't catch all the rockets, is that right.
Speaker 9: Well, well, there was one that was fired, only one actually managed to enter Israeli airspace. And the question is why the Israelis didn't pick it up. It had extremely long trajectory. It was flew for over twelve hundred miles and it was in the air for somewhere around twelve minutes, so that it wasn't picked up and intercepted along its flight path Fisher is a major question. And you know, overall Israel and the United States have done a pretty good job of shooting down Yeah, the missiles that have come from the houtis right. This is an Iranian backed group that has been attacking see out of what they call solidarity for the gous of war. They've done a lot of damage, but Israel and the United States have shot down dozens of their missiles and rockets and drones, but this one somehow got through. So it is a failure and Israel is going to They already have opened up the probe.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Jordana, is the system failing or is it getting overwhelmed or that's what the investigation is going.
Speaker 4: To look at.
Speaker 9: I mean, that's what the investigation is going to look at. It looks like it was it was detected, but it was probably some sort of human error that it wasn't It wasn't put in the category of we need to shoot this down now. I mean, sometimes the system will you know, put in input threats and then they have to be watched and monitoring and a decision, a decision has to be made, you know, we'll have to see and look. I think it was a human error that it wasn't detected sooner.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned that both Israeli and US forces have shut down incoming rockets. Are they doing that. Is that just like in the is there the US part of it anyway? Is that just the Yemen part of it, or is the US assisting with shooting.
Speaker 4: Down rockets that are headed into Israel as well?
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's a good question. I mean, the main bad actors who are finding firing into Israel right are the Hasbolah, the Love and you know that's shut on Israel's northern border. Those are not really US forces aren't needed for that. Israel's taking care of that. It's a low grade kind of war already. But the ones that are coming from the Red Sea are primarily shot over by Iranian back level group, the Hutis and in that instance, and they've been firing since. You know, if you go and look at Sencom's Twitter, for example, you'll see probably twice a week. It doesn't make headlines, but often the warships that are there in the Red Sea are shooting down incoming drones or missiles. Sometimes they're fired towards israel southern city of a lot. Sometimes they're fired through the east, you know, you know, coming over for example, heading over towards Jordan to enter Israel, and one drone was fired and came through the west right over the water and hit a building in Tel Aviv and that was that was a deadly strike, right with one civilian killed. So this has been a persistent threat. And again it's not only Israel. The hooties have caused billions of dollars in damage to shipping vessels and to just trade. There have been companies that have stopped trading stuff up or cut that cup back because of the threat of UTI strikes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you're right, we don't hear about those what's going on in the oceans and the waterways anymore. It was we heard about it all the time for a while, but it just sort of it got out of the news cycle. So thank you for you know, updating us that it's still going on and we're still actively making sure that people get safe passage through. Jordana George, Donna Miller, thank you so much. I don't know why I have such a brain lock on your name, but.
Speaker 9: It's all good.
Speaker 4: It's not a lack of respect.
Speaker 1: I promise, I promise it's not a lack of respect because I appreciate everything.
Speaker 9: You don't worry about it. There's so many more important things to get right in the world right now.
Speaker 4: Jordana, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news from. Firefighters have made more progress on the three fires burning in southern California. More than eight thousand firefighters working to stop the fires which started during the recent heat wave. The fire that was sparked in San Gabriel Canyon and has burned into San Bernardino County has burned nearly fifty five thousand acres. It's nine percent surrounded. Evacuation Orders are still in effect in Mount Baldy and right Wood. The fire from that started in Highland is forty two percent surrounded.
Speaker 4: That's good news.
Speaker 1: It's burned nearly thirty nine thousand acres. Most evacuation orders have been downgraded to warnings, but there are still some evacuation orders in place east of Highway three thirty to Summer Trail Place and north of Highland Avenue. The fire in Tribuco Canyon in Orange County that has spread into Riverside County is nineteen percent surrounded. It's burned just under twenty four thousand acres. In Orange County, the areas of Casper Regional Park, San Juan Springs and the Blue Jay Campground remain under evacuation orders. A woman in Long Beach has been stabbed to death by a man police say she was dating. A burglary was reported early yesterday at the Gate community where the woman lived. Police say the woman was found lying in the street. She'd been stabbed several times and died at the scene. Her accused killer, Leonard Rolls Junior, was arrested for murder. He's being held on two million dollars bail. A deal reached over the weekend means DirecTV customers can once again get ESPN, ABC, and other Disney owned channels. DirecTV and Uverse customers lost the programming when contract talks broke down at the start of the month. Thousands of directvs more than ten million subscribers canceled their service during the blackout, and agreement in principle was reached on Saturday. DirecTV alerted subscribers and plans to raise prices on some bundles next month because of higher programming costs. Yeah, I got that notification already. Human skeletal remains have been found off Highway three thirty and Running Springs in an area that has been closed because the fire burning in the San Bernardino Mountains. Officials say they don't believe the remains found are related to the fire. The person hasn't yet been ident The fire burning in Orange and Riverside County has destroyed eighty two homes and other buildings. It's burned more than twenty three thousand acres and is nineteen percent surrounded. Fourteen people have been injured since the fire started just a week ago. Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice is racked up another fifty two million dollars in its second week of release. It tops the box office again this week. Speak No Evil as a Distant second. It brought in eleven and a half million dollars. Deadpool and Wolverine still in the top five at number three. Am I Racist is fourth, and Reagan starring Dennis Quaid, is in fifth place.
Speaker 4: At six oh five. It's handle on the news.
Speaker 1: Jd Vance, running for Vice president, says he doesn't regret spreading the rumor that Haitian immigrants were eating pets in Springfield, Ohio.
Speaker 4: Bill's going to tell you why. Right now.
Speaker 1: Let's say good morning to ABC's Stephen portnoy So Steven. A second attempt apparently has been made on President Trump's life.
Speaker 4: For President Trump's.
Speaker 10: Life, Yeah, the big story of the morning. Yeah, so overnight we learned the identity of the suspect, fifty eight year old Ryan Wesley Routh is his name, of Greensboro, North Carolina, also with ties to Hawaii. He had something of a preoccupation, you might even say, obsession with the war in Ukraine, and so that's a key area of interest for investigators looking at whether he had a motivation based on Trump's position on Ukraine. Maybe maybe not. Lots of questions about how he was able to get a quarter mile from the former president on the perimeter of the golf course while Trump was there, and how he even knew Trump was there, because that was not something that was publicly announced. It was sort of, as far as we are told, a spur of the moment thing on Trump's part to say, hey, let's go golfing today, something he's wont to do on a Saturday. But how did this man even know that Trump was in South Florida?
Speaker 1: That is I mean, like, was he just camping out? Does he have an inside source? Great questions and we don't know I did hear that his son said that his dad isn't a violent person but hates Trump.
Speaker 3: That's Rauth's son. You look.
Speaker 10: Ralth Son did an interview, I think with a Daily Mail in which he said, this doesn't sound like my dad.
Speaker 3: My dad's a peaceful person.
Speaker 10: But also, here are all the reasons why America is an awful place under the constitution we have blah.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah blah. I'm paraphrasing.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Look, there'll be lots of questions about this man's motivation, his mental health state, his interest in Ukraine. To describe him, I've seen photographs white, shock hair, bleach blonde, even he often would appear with an American flag around his neck like a scarf. Those who have spoken to him, and he did a number of interviews over the years, particularly with respect to his interest in Ukraine really interesting there.
Speaker 4: Yes, he was in Kiev a couple of years ago or.
Speaker 10: So well, apparently, yes, and he descried He's described by those who encountered him as something of a character, someone who's sort of a magnet for who would go up to him and find him interesting and talk to him right away because of his appearance and just his nature. He, as I say, was obsessed with the war in Ukraine and tried to aggressively recruit foreigners to travel to Ukraine to take up arms against Putin's forces there, not just Americans, but also interestingly Afghans. He's been trying to get them engaged to travel from their country to fight in another country's war.
Speaker 4: So does he have a military background, Stephen, or do we know.
Speaker 3: Any I'm not aware of one, all right.
Speaker 1: So getting back to what happened, luckily didn't happen yesterday, we heard that shots were fired, but it appears that they weren't fired from his gun.
Speaker 10: There were apparently some shellcasings found nearby from the AK forty seven, but it's not clear whether they were freshly fired or maybe just something he had in his bag.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 10: What we do know is that the Secret Service was able to get forty six rounds off and that was enough to get the man to run away. The most remarkable aspect of the story was something highlighted by the Palm Beach County Sheriff yesterday. The technology that was used to find this man. A passerby took a photograph of a man who jumped out of the bushes and drove away in his car. The photograph of the SUV had the license plate number. They used the license plate readers that they now have along the highways in South Florida to identify and locate the car as it was a heading north on Interstate ninety five.
Speaker 3: Think of that.
Speaker 10: I mean they were able to as the man's going at speed on the interstate, they were able to find him and stop him, and they arrested him without incident. So he survived all this and now he'll maybe be able to ads if he's willing answer questions.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then another question for you about Trump's security, because now everybody's going, oh, the Secret Service failed again. And I'm like, how this one's a a stretch though, because if the guy was hiding in the bushes and they just happened to see a rifle barrel sticking out from the bushes and that's how they spotted the guy, I mean, how do you cover that large of a perimeter. And has his Secret Service detail been increased since the last attempt or is it about the same.
Speaker 10: Well, I don't know about the number of personnel, but I do know that the Secret Service has talked about how it has enhanced security around Trump since the July thirteenth attempt in Butler, Pennsylvania. There is a question about whether the security around Trump should be what it was when he was the sitting president, and there are reasons why you would not want or why the Secret Service would not be positioned for that. One is that Donald Trump is a former president as significant as a figure. He is an American life and our current electoral process is not in the command and control structure of the US military at this moment. He is the prospective future president, but that's up to the voters first. And so there's the idea that, you know, the institution of the presidency itself is worthy of more protection than those who would serve in the role. And beyond that, there is the question of the fact that, look, Donald Trump yesterday didn't apparently have a long standing plan to go golfing. It was sort of a spur of the moment thing. He lives five miles away. He does this from time to time. Maybe that's a vulnerability that has been identified here. But you know, I will tell you that even when he was a sitting president, I used to go to Mara A Lago to cover him there. And I remember he would go to Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach and we would be in the press. We would positioned the pool which follows the president would be positioned at the library which is across the street. And yes, there would be shutdowns of the streets. But I don't know necessarily that while he was on the golf course that the streets around the golf course, which you can see on Google Maps, there are thoroughfares all around it, around the perimeter. I don't know that the streets were necessarily locked down. What I can tell you is that a sitting president would have aerial assets from the military and from the Secret Service that would be overhead. That might be to identify a threat from the air that you could see on the ground. Hey, who's that sub It's pulled over on the side of the road. Here, what's that guy in the bushes? And that is something that may have been lacking yesterday, and it may have been a function of the fact that Trump, at the last minute, decided to go golfing. Nevertheless, there are questions about what the Secret Service can do in a moment like that. What it should be expected to do, and lawmakers are asking whether the Secret Service needs more more not just it doesn't need more authority, it needs more resources. And that's a question that I'm not positioned to answer this morning.
Speaker 1: Okay, Stephen Portinoy, Thanks, We're going to be listening for answers, but you provided several for us, and we appreciate it.
Speaker 4: You bet all right.
Speaker 1: A family in South la is asking for help in finding a missing fourteen.
Speaker 4: Year old girl.
Speaker 1: M Kaya is Surely known as Kaya was last seen Saturday night on First Boulevard near East ninety second Street. Surely is black, five foot two, about one hundred and sixteen pounds, with short red and black hair in a bun, brown eyes, and a scab on her left knee. A man suspected of robbing over a dozen businesses in Long Beach has been arrested. Police say the twenty three year old man would jump over the counter, simulate having a weapon, and order or physically force war workers to open the cash register. Most of the businesses were located near the sixty one hundred block of Atlantic Avenue. Michael Jackson's older brother, Tito, has died. The family announced the death yesterday on a social media post, sons TJ, Taj and Terrell say their shocked, saddened, and heartbroken that their dad was an incredible man a family friends as Jackson died while driving from New Mexico to Oklahoma, possibly from a heart attack. Tito Jackson was of course part of the Jackson Five with his brothers. They had several number one hits in the seventies. Tito Jackson was seventy Michael Jackson was fifty when he died on June twenty fifth, two thousand and nine. Walton Roy, Disney's first West Coast studio in LA has been named an Historic Cultural Landmark.
Speaker 11: Disney Brothers studio operated on Kingswell Avenue and Los Phelis from nineteen twenty three to nineteen twenty six. City council Woman Nitthia Rahman says the landmark designation honors the Disneys and the neighborhood.
Speaker 12: Artists come there to create, to thrive, and this monument is really going to celebrate a very old legacy of this neighborhood as a place where dreams come to life.
Speaker 11: The Disney saw success here and quickly outgrew the space. The bungalow is now home to a skate shop in downtown LA. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Vice presidential candidate jd Vance's former President Trump is in amazingly good spirits following a second assassination attempt in two months. Van says Trump told him he'd be hugging his kids Extra Titan, saying a prayer of gratitude. Firefighters are making slow but steady progress against the fire burning near right Wood and Mount Baldy. The fire has destroyed forty nine homes and buildings and is threatening twelve thousand more. It's burned about fifty five thousand acres and is nine percent surrounded. The Chargers, under new head coach Jim Harbaugh, are two and oh after beating the Carolina Panthers twenty six to three. The Rams, on the other hand, are starting their season at zero to two following a big forty one to ten loss in Arizona. And fifty ABC's Jason Nathanson, we'll have the scoop from the Emmys, the big winners, the big losers, any big surprises, and any big snubs too.
Speaker 4: Right now, let's.
Speaker 1: Say good morning to US Geological Survey seismologists. Susan huffs Susan, thanks so much for getting up early with us this morning.
Speaker 5: Oh you're welcome, and I'm usually up early.
Speaker 4: Oh good.
Speaker 1: Well, then we'll know that we can call you anytime like this morning when we have we had another little shaking this morning in Malibu.
Speaker 3: We did.
Speaker 5: They've actually been fifty five after shock since the four point seven. Most of them are too small to feel, so you don't know about them. You only know about them when they get over three then people start to feel them. Yes, but it was a three point six, and it's having an after shock sequence that has been recorded, and we have actual probabilities of future after shocks which are expected at this point.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're expecting after shots. But I think a lot of the big question that people have been saying is and we I think we've talked about this before, but people say some people say, hey, if you have a bunch of smaller quakes, it could relieve pressure on the fault.
Speaker 4: But that's not really how it works, right.
Speaker 5: Right, the little quakes are too small to be any kind of safety valve. We know that's not true, and little quakes do increase the odds slightly of bigger earthquakes, and that's the statistics that we use to make these after shock forecasts. And even for shock probabilities, what are the odds that one of these earthquakes will be a four shock? We actually can calculate those probabilities.
Speaker 1: Okay, And do we have any probabilities for this round of quakes?
Speaker 5: We do, and they were calculated pretty immediately go down in time. If you don't, if you're going to have something bigger, it's usually very close to the first quake, So the four point seven and over time, the more time to spy, the better it is. So right now, the odds of a five or above are under one in one hundred, so that's obviously a low number. The odds of another four in the next week or so we're about one in twelve, so that wouldn't be too surprising. Okay, yeah, there is a point. You know, we estimate these low numbers one in one hundred. That sounds comforting. It's not zero. And you know, people, we live in a great country and you know it's something bigger could happen. We don't expect it, but people always need to be on their toes and take these little earthquakes as reminders of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, And speaking of the reminders, because you said we are in earthquake country, maybe we need the reminders though, so it can get baked into our brains, Like if you don't have any shaking at all, we kind of just tend to forget things, don't you. So maybe the little quakes are sort of a wake up call to get ready because there's probably going to be a big quate at some point.
Speaker 5: At some point, there definitely will. And yeah, that's an excellent point. But also I saw somebody on Twitter saying, well, I dropped cover hold on what's the point because by the time you take that action, the shakings over. Well, the point is you want to be in a safe place if it gets worse before it gets better, and that's going to be infrequent, but you know, dropping covering if you can get into your table, if you get under your desk, covering your head, if you're disabled, try to protect your head as best you can, moog away from windows. That action can be really important if the earthquake is a larger one.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so you mentioned the shake alert when we had the quake last week, which was on Thursday morning, happened like right when I was starting a newscast, and we're all kind of looking around, going is that someone running in the building or is that an earthquake? And then about five or six seconds later, then I got the shake alert after I already felt to the shaking. So how come I didn't get it ahead of time because the last one, and I think the last time we talked, we got the shake alert before the quake.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so the shake alert really wasn't designed to give people heads up. For a four and a half, it's pretty close to you. Those earthquakes aren't going to be damaging. So what it's really aiming to do is if a bigger earthquake happens, it's likely to happen some distance from you, so the system has a few seconds to record it, get a warning out, and get the heads up to people. If you're very close to a four and a half, or you feel gentle shaking, you know, fifty miles away, that's really not what the system is designed to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So if we don't get ahead, if we get it ahead of time, we should be more worried than if we get it when it starts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if that's a fair statement.
Speaker 1: Okay, super well, thank you so much for the information, Susan. I look, well, let's see, I always look forward to talking to you, but I'm afraid that the next time we talk to you is the next time we're going to have an earthquake. So I hope we don't talk to you for a really long time.
Speaker 5: That sounds great to me.
Speaker 4: That being said, we love talking to you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for making the time to talk to us this morning, Susan.
Speaker 5: Thank yeah, You're welcome.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. More homes on the Palace Verdes Peninsula are set to lose power and gas because of the shifting land. The latest shutoffs will affect people in Rolling Hills. So Cal Edison notified customers over the weekend that their utilities would be turned off indefinitely by Wednesday at six pm. More than one hundred and thirty homes in Rancho Palace Verdi's have already had their services shut off. Governor Newsom declared a state of emergency for the area. Earlier this month, a homeless man convicted of beating and sexually assaulting two women near the canals in Venice, killing one of them. Has been sentenced to life in prison plus one hundred years. Anthony Jones was sentenced on Friday for the attacks that happened in April. One woman's injuries were so bad she was declared brain dead and was eventually taken off life support. The other woman suffered traumatic injuries to her face and chest. Jones pleaded no contest to charges that included murder, forcible rape, and torture. He also admitted to special allegations that he kidnapped the women and killed one while committing rape. Members of Congress say they want to hear from the Secret Service about the second attempted assassination of former President Trump. He was golfing yesterday at Trump International Golf Course in Florida, but it was not on his public schedule. Palm Beach County Sheriff Rick Bradshaw says the would be shooter's rifle was spotted in some bushes along the fence yesterday, not far from the former president.
Speaker 6: Probably between three and five hundred yards, But with a rifle and a scope.
Speaker 3: Like that, that's not.
Speaker 4: A long distance, he says.
Speaker 1: Secret Service agents noticed the assault style rifle and shots were fired. The guy took off, but was stopped and arrested in neighboring Martin County. The sheriff says the rifle, two backpacks, and a go pro camera were found. So you know how everybody's been chained. Not everybody, but a lot of sports teams have been changing names because they say that you know, they're they're disparaging to Native American populations. So like, for example, the NBA, the Philadelphia Warriors dropped their logo, which apparently was featured a Native American, but kept the name. The Cleveland Indians became the Guardians. The Washington Redskins are the Commanders now, the Braves from Atlanta, and the Chiefs Kansas City. They're holding onto their names, at least for now. In twenty nineteen, Little League mandated that all derogatory names, as they called them, had to be removed. Here's but I think is an interesting thing. Like when you talk about a brave or a chief or a warrior, that's not disparaging to me personally, Like I think that that shows toughness and hutsba and fighting and that kind of stuff. But it's become a huge thing. Well, here's an interesting side note to all that. The family of the Blackfeet Chief, who served as the face of the Washington Redskins for forty eight years, you remember the logo, They want his image back in the NFL. The descendants of John two Guns white Calf also want his life story retold to a new generation of Americans who are looking for unity and value multiculturalism. The White Calf family has support in DC from one of their senators, from Montana, and from the NFL franchise itself, of course, now known as the Washington Commanders. But again important not to forget our past. And it's the black Feet Chief and they want him back in the NFL.
Speaker 4: So we'll see what happens with that.
Speaker 1: Biologists are investigating if ash from the fire burning in Orange and Riverside County has caused a fish die off at Lake Elsin or thousands of threadfin shad have died in the lake recently. Biologists say it could be linked to changes in water temperature and oxygen levels. Firefighters have deadlines around thirty six percent of the fire that's burned over. Actually it's up to over forty percent of the fire that's burned in the San Bernardino Mountains. Several neighborhoods remain under evacuation orders. Regulators have issued an air quality advisory until at least eleven tonight for most of the Southland because of the smoke from the three major wildfires.
Speaker 4: A federal appeals court is set to.
Speaker 1: Hear arguments on challenges to a law that would ban TikTok in the US if the video sharing app doesn't divest from its Chinese owner. A group of TikTok platform creators filed the lawsuit to block the law from taking effect. SA it's unconstitutional. Let's say good morning to ABC's Jason Nathanson, who's probably running on fumes at this point.
Speaker 4: Morning.
Speaker 3: Jason, I'm very excited.
Speaker 4: You are running on fumes, aren't you.
Speaker 3: No, I'm good.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: So we got.
Speaker 1: Emmy seventy six Emmys, and as I was just talking to wake up Call listeners, I am thrilled that I watch Showgun because it pretty much cleaned up it did.
Speaker 2: It continued its record of it had won already fourteen at the pre Emmys last weekend and added another.
Speaker 11: Four to.
Speaker 3: To its takeaway.
Speaker 2: So that's eighteen, which is the record for in a single year for any show. We knew that it was going to win, although it seemed a little bit like it could go a different way because at one point Slow Horses won for Best Riding.
Speaker 3: That's an Apple TV Plus show.
Speaker 2: I think it's in its fourth season now starring Gary Oldman. And when as best writing goes, often the major awards will go. So when Slow Horses one, we're like, is there going to be an upset?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: That did not prove to be the case in that category, although we'll talk about later where it did prove to be the case.
Speaker 3: But Showgun did win.
Speaker 2: It was the first non English language show to win the Emmy for for Best Drama. And then you also had royky Sonata who won as well for Lead Actor for that show and an A so y An. So why the first actress of Asian descent to that category. Yeah, she's good to give a great speech last night, So so so did he, so did so did pretty much everybody, including Justin Marks, who's the co creator of the show, who talked to thanked the the executives at FX for even making it in the first place.
Speaker 8: You guys greenlit a very expensive titled Japanese period piece whose central climax was revolves around a poetry competition.
Speaker 3: I have no.
Speaker 8: Idea why you did that, but thank you for your faith in this incredible team.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of indicative. We heard Richard Gadd say something similar. He's the creator of Baby Reindeer Executives. They are taking chances right, and streaming is allowing them to do that, and that's allowing a lot of these shows to be very good and then to win Emmys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so for you, what, what was the best part of the Emmy's last night.
Speaker 3: Hacks winning right Cheer Best Comedy. I was so excited, Yeah, very excited about that.
Speaker 2: So that's the other show that I was talking about where best writing actually did indicate, because at the beginning of the show, I mean, let's set the table. The bear goes into the night with the most nominations ever for comedy twenty three Haven't You Been just not a comedy even though it's not a comedy, having just won in the previous year the Emmys earlier this year, which were last year's Emmys ten which was the most ever in a year by a singer comedy show, and then it started out the night, winning three of the four acting categories, and you're like, okay, here's another route for the Bear.
Speaker 3: And you know, again, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Whether it's a comedy or not. We've talked about on the show. I don't think it is, and you know, but whatever, it's nominated in the comedy category. It's a really good show and they want to celebrate it.
Speaker 3: So fine. They do that with the acting wins. But then.
Speaker 2: Hacks Jeane Smart wins for Hacks for Best Actress over Ioid every from the Bear, which was the first sign. Okay, but Jean Smart is won before for Hacks, and the Emmys do lock onto something.
Speaker 3: When they lock onto something, they usually award it over and over again.
Speaker 2: And then Hacks one for Best Writing over the Bear, and that was the first sign h something might be up here. But still the Bear went on to win eleven, beating its own record of most wins in it for a comedy in a single series a season, so you know it's the Emmy still did show a lot of love for the Bear. But Hacks winning Best Comedy was was really great. And Lucia and Ielo, who's the one of the co creators of the show, talked about the power of comedy during her speech.
Speaker 7: But we really feel like it can bridge divide. When you laugh with someone, you have something in common with them.
Speaker 5: So please support comedy.
Speaker 3: It speaks true to power. And she also said support your local comedian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I hate that they're trying to walk her off. That speech wasn't very long. I mean, I know they've tightened up on that, but when you win the big one, they should plan for it that they get a little extra time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you know, there's three co creators of the show, Paul Downs who's also on the show, Lucia and Ilo and Jenstatski, and Paul spoke first, so he took up the majority of the time. Yeah, and Lucia and Paul are married, so you know, I don't know if she was ma when they got home. They did, and Jen didn't even get a chance to speak at all. Yeah, so you know, but I do. I hate it too, especially since that was the last award.
Speaker 3: Of the night. We've been waiting for that moment.
Speaker 2: If you look at the rundown of the show, they had actually the factor in for thirteen minutes of going long past eight o'clock here in la and they were actually a little early. I think it was like eight oh seven, eight oh eight, something like that. But but again, those are the awards we want to see and we want to see them win.
Speaker 3: And also there was they started to play off the guys behind Showgun as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they smartly decided to stop the music when Hiroyuki Sonata was speaking. He was speaking in Japanese and it had to be translated, and it was a very it was interesting and touching moment. And this is the first series to ever win for a non English language show. And they're cutting off the guy right when he's trying to make his you know, and what are you doing?
Speaker 1: You know, they've been doing this for seventy six years. You think that they would get it. They'd figure it out.
Speaker 2: The Emmys and most award shows are generally not good television, which is kind of like which is kind of like, you're an award show about TV, celebrating TV, but the show itself ain't great television. And you know, as we talked about on Friday, I liked Eugene and Dan Levy. You know, I like them as people. I think they're funny performers. As hosts, they were they were Okay, you know, I would have liked something a little bit better. There's gonna be no, there's no viral moments from them. You know this morning that everybody's watching. And at one point last night when they introduced Katherine O'Hara to give out the Best Comedy, we hadn't seen them in like an hour, and I had forgot that they were hosting. She looked great, Catherine O'Hara. Yeah, yeah, And and she was really funny too. She stole it, just like she stole every scene the Beetle Juice as well.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Okay, Jason Nathanson, go get some sleep, all right, take care, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 1: Tonight, the Dodgers take on the Braves in Atlanta. First pitch goes out at four twenty. Listen to every play of every game on AM five seventy LA Sports, and you can stream all the games NHD on the iHeartRadio app. Two keyword is AM five seventy LA Sports. The best casino on the Southland is Marongo Casino Resort and SPA.
Speaker 4: Good Times.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.