Speaker 1: Now your host for World Series Dodger.
Speaker 2: Talk sound off Angelinos David Vasse.
Speaker 3: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after Game two of the World Series goes the Dodgers way as they take a two games to none lead in the World Series. After a walkoff grand slam by Freddie Freeman last night in the tenth inning. Tonight, they do it in nine as the Dodgers defeat the Yankees four to two. Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vase with you until ten o'clock tonight right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We'll check in with Jose Moda a little bit later in the show, as we always do. You'll hear from Andre eighth Year, who was reunited with his former teammate Matt Kemp.
Speaker 4: They threw out the first pitch.
Speaker 3: He was as big of a fan last night as we all were when Freddie Freeman hit that walkoff grand slam to give the Dodgers the game one win. We'll give you an update on Jack Flaherty and why he was taken out of the game last night when he was going pretty well despite giving up a two run home run to John Carlos. Stanton we finally found out why Evan Phillips is not on the World Series rosters, so we'll give you an update on that. So between now at ten o'clock a lot to get to and look. I was a little concerned with the Dodgers tonight. I know they held on for a four to h two win, but I felt like there were some opportunities for the Dodgers to be able to tack on runs in this game. Even though they were able to hit three home runs tonight, they were only zero for three with runners in scoring position.
Speaker 4: I felt like they could have been able to at least.
Speaker 3: Tack on one more run in this game, especially in the fourth inning after Will Smith hit a one out double off the wall in center field. He had will Smith at second base with one out, Miguel Rojas, who got his first star in a long time, grounded out to the second baseman, and then show Hey Otani grounded out to the shortstop. I felt like one more run would have made this a little bit more comfortable for the Dodgers, but they were able to wiggle out of it in the ninth inning. Blake Trinen, who has been outstanding for the Dodgers all season, long was a human tonight he was a little erratic and really couldn't get that slider sweeper to appear as a strike.
Speaker 4: It was wide left.
Speaker 3: It hit Anthony Rizzo and Dave Roberts smartly and aggressively, had Alex Vesia warming up behind Trinan and was able to go to Vessia to get the final out of the game. And Vessia secures his first save in the World Series, and the Dodgers are in a great spot right now, headed to New York for three games if necessary, with a two games to none lead.
Speaker 4: Six seven, two, five seventy is.
Speaker 3: The phone number you know, Freddie Freeman if the Dodgers go on to win this World Series, he already has made a strong statement for World Series MVP. After the first two games of this series, Taoscar Hernandez and Freddie Freeman became just the eleventh player or Freddy became just the eleventh player to homer in games one and two of a World Series. He followed Taoskar's go ahead to run home run off of Rodin with a solo home run and no doubter to right field in the same area where he hit his walk off grand Slam last night, and here was Freddy on MLB Network moments ago, a little Harry in.
Speaker 1: The ninth inning.
Speaker 4: What was your thought process watching it all on fold?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the World Series. You're not gonna be easy. You know, they're not just gonna go down easy. They got the blake right there, and luckily we got Bettie.
Speaker 5: To come in and close out.
Speaker 6: You know, Dro this morning said when Freddy goes d he left on left, he's about to get locked in.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like you're getting locked in?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I feel good. I feel good.
Speaker 6: My baying practice has been good, and I've been feeling good at the plate.
Speaker 1: So hopefully Dro keeps saying those good things.
Speaker 8: We saw show Hey, O Tani leave the game leaving some pain.
Speaker 4: Your level of concern about show Hey right now?
Speaker 1: I mean, I hopefully he's okay.
Speaker 6: I haven't heard anything, but when you leave in pain and holding your arm, it's.
Speaker 1: Probably not a good thing.
Speaker 6: But you know, we got a group of guys in here that if he is down, we'll pick him up and we'll get that.
Speaker 1: We'll get going.
Speaker 4: Lastly, mindset going to New York.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know we're up to nothing. I gotta go out there and get a day's rest and go get after it again on the next one.
Speaker 3: Congratulations Ready here ever, all right, there's Robert Flores with Freddie Freeman on MLB Network, and yes, you heard him.
Speaker 4: Ask Freddy about show.
Speaker 3: Heyo Tani who had to leave the game in the seventh inning when he was caught stealing to end the inning at second base. And it turns out, as Dave Roberts told us, it is a left shoulder sublixation that Otani suffered, and he will have an MRI and the Dodgers will determine whether or not he'll be available for Game three of the World Series and whether or not he'll be available for the rest of the World Series. You know, I mentioned this during the Clubhouse Show as soon as they started talking about left shoulder. As Ken Rosenthal first reported during the national broadcast, I instantly thought about Cody Bellinger when his left shoulder popped out when he was celebrating with kek Hernandez during the twenty twenty NLCS Game seven, And I actually sent Cody a text that wondering if he was watching it and letting him know that I instantly thought about his left shoulder popping out for a quick second, and he said, yes, he was watching it, and yes, it looked like Otani's left shoulder popped out for a quick second. And that's basically what a sublexation is. It pops out quickly and then pops back in. Now, Cody was compromised during the World Series, but he was able still to perform and I am getting well. Unfortunately, I had to go through my own PT and wrist surgery a couple of years ago. You may have heard. So I have a few people that have my phone number in that field of a medicine and they've been texting me what their guests is. They believe that Otani has to keep that left shoulder loose overnight. They cannot allow to tighten up. And it's basically a pain tolerance thing. So the Dodgers will know the extent of the injury when they take a look at it with the MRI. But Otani is in great hands with the team. Doctor Doctor Neil elatrosh eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number with or without Otani. The reality is the are two wins away from being World champions. Let's go out to the phones. Bruce, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight? You're on Dodger Talk, Hi, Bruce.
Speaker 9: Hey what a b d V.
Speaker 8: I guess Otani joined in on the Uh I got hurt on a slide club, So you just go make sure that he knows you didn't miss a step afterwards, well at least.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's such a freight train. I'm not sure people realize how big and strong O'tani is. I mean, he is a he is quite a specimen. And the force of him hitting the ground obviously was great enough for his left shoulder to pop out.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I wish him the best, and I just think we have this next man of mentality and he if he can't a post for Game three, he's going to be our biggest cheerleader. And you know, seeing Tae go to right field three times, it looks like you figgure something out, like to see him pick up the offense, and I feel good. I feel confident, but not comfortable rightfully.
Speaker 4: So this World Series is not over.
Speaker 3: As Freddie said yesterday, it's one game and the Dodgers came in and you heard Tommy Edmund tell us thank you for the phone call Bruce say that we had to bottle up that emotion and take care of business tonight, and taking the lead early and getting this crowd involved early certainly helped. Not to mention, I referenced this last night. I know everybody's bringing parallels to Kirk Gibson's home run in nineteen eighty eight, to Freddie Freeman's and rightfully so, there are a lot of similarities.
Speaker 4: But what helped propel the Dodgers to.
Speaker 3: Beat the Big, bad, Mighty A's in eighty eight wasn't just Kirk Gibson's walk off home run in Game one. Yes, that stunned the A's who thought they were going to sweep the Dodgers. In fact, I spoke to the old Dodgers clubhouse manager last night, Jerry Turner, who told me when Dave Parker was taken out of that Game one in the eighth inning, he was chirping in the clubhouse they were going to sweep the Dodgers. So that's how overconfident the A's were, and they were punched in the mouth and never recovered. But part of the reason why is because in Game two, the A's had to face the most dominant pitcher in nineteen eighty eight, and that was Oral Hersheizer, who shut them down in Game two as well. What Yoshi Yamamoto gave the Dodgers tonight was not Herscheizer esque, but it had the same effect. He shut down the Yankees, allowed just one hit in six and the third innings, and I actually believe he could have finished that inning. In fact, he probably should have finished that inning. He only had allowed one hit. And what world do you take a picture out that has only given up one hit in six and a third innings. So the point of the man is without Yamamoto pitching the way he did tonight, the momentum from last night means, I shouldn't say, means nothing, but it certainly is stifled. And that's what reminded me of what Oral Herscheizer did in Game two of the eighty eight World Series after Gibson's heroics in Game one. So this is definitely going the way the Dodgers needed it to go. And quite frankly, the Yankees are not as good of a team as the San Diego Padres. I would make that argument, but the Dodgers still have to execute, They still have to get timely hitting and the Dodgers have done a great job containing Aaron Judge, who was zero for four again tonight. John Carlos Stanton was one for four. He drove in a run in that ninth inning off of Blake Trin And but Juan Soto has been the big problem for the Dodgers. Outside of Soto, the other two guys I guess Stanton last night, but specifically I guess I should say Aaron Judge has not been a factor in this series. And here was Aaron Judge moments ago in the Yankees clubhouse.
Speaker 10: You know, we've been through a lot of adversity through one sixty two and even in this postseason. So guys, you're gonna step up. Guys are gonna do what anything to do. And I got to step up as well. You know I've been you know, especially with what labor and what want to do on the top of the lineup. Man, I got to back them up. So you know they're gonna keep getting getting on base. I gotta drive a man.
Speaker 4: Or move over.
Speaker 11: And when you're having an explanation for why you're expanding, and when you do, you haven't use your who's remedy?
Speaker 1: That really walking on your zone. You know at times you want to.
Speaker 10: I think it's trying to make things happen and so letting the game come to you. I think that's what it really comes down to.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 10: You see labor out there on base one is getting on base doing things. You want to try to make something happen. But uh, you know, if you're not going to get a pitch on the zone, you gotta just take your walks instead. Up for Big G's so playing a sample, I gotta start stringing strike the strikes.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: There's Aaron Judge speaking to reporters moments to go in the Yankees clubhouse, and Olden Gonzalez from ESPN had a very very interesting note. Aaron Judge has taken one hundred and nine swings in this playoffs and has whiffed on forty seven of them. That's a swing and misrate of forty three percent. That's the highest whiff rate during a regular seat. Well, I guess the highest whiff rate during the regular season was by Zach Gehloff, who swung and missed at a thirty six percent clip. Judge is swinging and missing at a forty three percent clip. And the Dodgers are spinning him to death. Flirty did it with the curveball last night. Yamamoto was doing it again tonight with his split fingered fastball. And the other spin that he had at his disposal tonight is slider.
Speaker 4: He was able to use that as a weapon at times.
Speaker 3: And certainly the Dodgers have a great scating report on Aaron Judge because they are exploiting him. Yamamoto with his curveball tonight, with his split fingered fastball tonight, was able to limit the end Thanke's to just one hit and Aaron Judge, oh for for tonight. Let's go out to Felix, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight.
Speaker 4: Hi Felix, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 13: What's going on?
Speaker 14: My man?
Speaker 13: Hey?
Speaker 14: Before I start, I'd like to say thank you to you and everyone at the station for everything you guys do, especially throughout the whole season. You guys have been great. I love listening to you guys after the show, So just thank.
Speaker 4: You, Hey, thank you for listening and being such a great fan.
Speaker 14: So yeah, man, I'm on my way back south to Modre Country, but I wanted to say a couple of things and I'll make it quick. First, If anyone's still on the fence about going to these games and they're kind of weirded out about you know the cost, trust me, folks, it's worth it.
Speaker 13: I splurged. I treated myself.
Speaker 14: I figured, you know what, I only lived once and I'm not taking it with me when when God calls out on me.
Speaker 13: So third base A roads from the field. I loved every.
Speaker 4: Minute of Wow, those are great seats.
Speaker 3: So you had a front row you to not only Dodgers Yankees, but a front row view to ice Cube just freestyling out there by himself.
Speaker 4: That was epic.
Speaker 14: I didn't even know that was happening, man. So it started, and I'm like, hey, I also get a concert out of it. Tommy Edmund that guy is playing his you know what offs and I'm enjoying every second of it.
Speaker 13: I know, Freddie Freeman, you know, possibly MVP of the World series, Tommy Edmund Man maybe.
Speaker 14: And the last thing I'll say is, and it's just an observation. Every person, including myself, if I'm being honest, every person has given Dave Roberts crap about name it.
Speaker 13: Filling the flanks I looked at.
Speaker 14: I would want to give Dodger fans the opportunity to give the man some props for what he is doing.
Speaker 13: I mean, we can all Monday quarterback.
Speaker 14: The man, but right now, everything he has been doing this entire postseason, including tonight. Yes, I second guests and pulling on my motto, but I saw the pitch count.
Speaker 13: And I know, I mean, he has taken half the.
Speaker 14: Season off, so maybe that's why he did it. You know what, I'm not gonna second guess him. God bless him.
Speaker 13: He did it. We won. We're two wins away, man, So I'll take you your comments.
Speaker 4: Off the radio, all right, Felix, thanks for the phone call. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Dave Roberts has been a topic of conversation ever since the Dodgers beat the Padres, which I feel is hilarious. Dave Roberts didn't just become a good manager. Dave Roberts did not just become mister positive. That's who Dave Roberts has been for the last nine years as the Dodger manager, who he is right now obviously more experienced, He's now in his fourth World Series managing the Dodgers. That obviously helps to slow down the game and understand what's coming. At you, and I feel like that is an advantage for the Dodgers. But Dave Roberts didn't just become a great manager overnight. In your mind, he did, but he has managed two really good seasons back to back, and he led the Dodgers to the twenty World Series as well. So I mean, I'm all for it, but I think it's a little comic goal that now, all of a sudden, everybody thinks Dave Roberts is a Hall of Famer when what changed? He beat the Padres, if he lost to the Padres, if the Dodgers lost to the Padres, Is Dave Roberts a horrible manager?
Speaker 4: Absolutely not. But one thing about Dave.
Speaker 3: Roberts is from day I shouldn't say since day one, I would say since day one, before the postseason began.
Speaker 4: I was out here at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 3: Talking to Dave before one of the workouts, and he told me, very candidly, I really believe in this team. And you know, you hear guy managers say that I really believe in this team. But he was really authentic and genuine, and everything that he has done with his actions has really backed up those words that he has believed in this team. And look, if Otani's out for the rest of the World Series, next man up. You know what I would do if Otani was out for the rest of the World Series, I'd make Will Smith the DH and have Austin Barnes catch eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Ray. Who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight? Hi, Ray, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: Holy crab, Holy crab, David, I.
Speaker 3: Say, oh, yeah, so you're in the parking lot. I hurd some horns honking.
Speaker 13: Yep, I'm heading out stuck in traffic.
Speaker 15: Uhated to our first World Series game.
Speaker 9: More wins, two more wins, two more wins.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we mean that off the bucket list.
Speaker 12: You know, we're just so excited.
Speaker 14: Andre Ethier Matt Camp throwing out the first pitch, handing it over to Ice Cuet.
Speaker 3: It was amazing. And I know you're in the Dodgers Stadium parking lot. I'm sure the cell towers got you right there. But happy you guys had a great time at the game. And look, from start to finish, like last night, it was, it was not just a game. It was an event to be at tonight Dodgers Yankees. Yes, but then the Dodgers pull out all the stops and bring out Matt Camp andre Ethier to throw out the first pitch and then ice Cube comes out from center field.
Speaker 4: Come on.
Speaker 3: That was pretty spectacular. And speaking of Andre Ethier and Matt Camp, andre joined us on the pregame show, and he spent his entire twelve year career with the Dodgers and certainly has a lot of passion for this franchise, even though he retired after the twenty seventeen World Series. And he's a big fan of this team and a big fan of what they're doing. And he's a big fan like all of us when Freddie Freeman does something that he did last night. Here was what Andre Ethier had to say about the twenty twenty four Dodgers and Freddy Freeman's walk off Grand Slam.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, one hundred percent invested. Uh you know, I'm you know, all in. I love this team, I love this organization. I wanted to have, you know, the most amount of success that could have. But yeah, when we were getting series in games like this, I'm I'm all for it. I'm sitting there yelling and screaming, probably doing the same reactions that everyone's doing at home, at the same reactions everone's doing.
Speaker 4: At the stadium.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's fun to be here.
Speaker 7: That's why I'm here today and here enjoying World Series baseball back in LA where right rightfully belongs to rightfully should be.
Speaker 3: Andre it seemed like everybody was happy for Freddie Freeman because I know, if you've talked about this, the game rewards you, and it seems like he's put in a lot to this game, and it felt like the game rewarded him last night.
Speaker 7: For sure, one hundred percent. H You know, he's been a guy who's been so stable over the course of his whole, you know, career. I think I saw that stat they pulled up last night all his what he's first and second in and the last like I don't know, it was a five six, seven years or something like pits RBIs, you.
Speaker 4: Know, all that stuff.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's it's unbelievable to see the resume he's put together, and he's quite and let's really be real, he's quietly done it. Everyone knows who Freddy Freeman is everyone and can give his accolades. But you don't realize the level of success he's had, not only the level of success, the elite level of success he's had, because you look at those numbers right there, he's first, not not tenth, not eleventh, not even thirtieth, He's first and second a lot of those categories. And you know it's that that's what makes this line up tough, right Like you you had a batani uh, let's walk, bets uh deep breath. After we got those, you know, we got Otani out, we get we put bets on, and then we have Freddy coming up, who's we know's hobbled, who's always been struggling, and I guess a wounded a wounded animal, wounded creatures. There's some of the you know, some of the most dangerous and Freddie definitely showed.
Speaker 4: It last night. Yeah, there's Andre Ethier.
Speaker 3: He's just says, is as excited as all of us from what he saw last night from Freddie Freeman. And I'm sure he was excited from a game to win over the Yankees. The Dodgers beat the Yanks tonight four to two to take a two games to none lead in the World Series. By the way, Freddie Freeman, and I mentioned this last night. I was remissed in not celebrating his triple. Freddie Freeman now is only the second player in baseball history to have multiple home runs and a triple over the first two games of a World Series. The other Babe Ruth in the nineteen twenty three World Series. So Freddie Freeman and Babe Ruth have something in common. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers owned the Dream eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back.
Speaker 4: More of your phone calls.
Speaker 3: We have two lines open, and we'll also hear from Jose Mota. After the Dodgers defeat the Yankees in Game two of the World Series four to two on a five to seventy LA.
Speaker 2: Sports on air at AM five to seventy online at AM five seventy LA sports dot Com and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Bassam.
Speaker 11: Seven game hitting street batting average four to nineteen for Edmond during the stretch on Rodn's two oh and Ben swings, HiT's a high fly ball left field, carrying toward the corner of Verdugo on the run.
Speaker 1: He's at the wall.
Speaker 16: Hit down, Tommy.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Welcome to the World Series tm ME.
Speaker 3: Edmund gave the Dodgers an early lead leading off the second inning off.
Speaker 4: Of Carlos Rodon.
Speaker 3: They would add three more on back to back home runs by Freddie Freeman and Taoscar Hernandez with two outs in the third inning and go on to beat the Yankees in Game two of the World Series four to two. David Vasse live at Dodgers Stadium. We are taking your phone calls until the top of the hour tonight at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. We'll give you the latest on Jack Flaherty in a moment. We'll hear from Jose Mona in about ten minutes. But I want to go back out to the phone calls tonight. Let's go out to Mark who is at Dodgers Stadium. Hi, Mark, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hi day. Yes, so I really enjoyed the game. I thought Yamamongo, as I had expect him to be, was brilliant. So it was a smooth game. And then you alluded to this the ninth inning was an absolute restless thriller as far as I was concerned. You answered part of to ask you that because I did not know that Evan Phillips was not available.
Speaker 17: Who's our usual closer?
Speaker 5: What was the thinking do you think of having Blake Trinan come in the ninth inning when we all know that last night he was used for I believe two innings. I think he gave up a run, not bad, but he wasn't fresh And I don't know if there's going to be a bullpen game that's at least three days away, there's a lot of fresh arms. What was the thought to use in again after having used him already two innings last night?
Speaker 3: Well, Blake Trinan has been the most dominant reliever they had.
Speaker 4: They already used Michael Kopek.
Speaker 3: They're not going to use Bruce star Graderol back to back night since he's been dealing with the shoulder injury all season long and had him pitched in a month, so he was the guy. And Mark the reason is it's the World Series. It's now or never, you know, back to bags. For a strong guy like Blake Trinan, that doesn't matter. He just didn't have it tonight. And you have to give Dave Roberts credit for having al Zvessia up and ready to go. Now, as far as Evan Phillips goes, yes, he is not on the World Series roster because he has nerve irritation in his right shoulder that really started to irritate itself after or during Game six of the NLCS. That's why he couldn't come back out to pitch a second inning when Dave Roberts motioned, that's when the shoulder just wasn't bouncing back. So they're down having Phillips in the World Series and Trina was the.
Speaker 4: Best option I see.
Speaker 5: Okay, thank you my.
Speaker 3: Pleasure eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. Now, speaking of injuries, it was a little puzzling last night after Jack Flerty made one mistake pitch. In fact, it wasn't even that big of a mistake. John Carlos Stanton just made a great swing on a breaking ball down and ind for a go ahead two run home run, and the following batter, Jack Flherty was allowed to stay in to face during the sixth inning was Jazz Chisholm and Flerity threw one pitch to Chisholm, and that's when Dave Roberts went out to get Flarity and bring in Anthony Banda, and we were all a little confused, like, what's going on? Why are you taking them out after only throwing one pitch? Well today, Dave Roberts explained the reason.
Speaker 7: There's a little his hamstring tightened up a little bit, so I don't think it's going to be a big deal, but that's why he was shaking his leg.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, So that was I believe his push off leg his right leg his right hamstring. And I saw Jack before the game today. He seemed to be in good spirits and doesn't seem overly concerned over his right hamstring bothering him last night. So, in case you were wondering, like we all were, why Flarity was taken out after throwing one pitch to jazzh Chisholm in the sixth inning last night and taken out of the game. That's the reason. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Santa Clarita, Tony, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 18: Hi, Tony, Hey, David Tao and Bets are back and we're They got famous at Yankee Stadium. That's where we're going. They have a lot of experience there. That's where they got famous. And then we got before and we Freeman, Munsey and Lucks. Yankee Stadium is a left handed hitters park, and we get Otani back. We got four left handers, they only got two. And we got the consistent lighting, no sunshine all night time, and we got the Brooklyn fans. We got to close it out over there. We've had enough celebration over here. We gotta we gotta, we gotta end it at their place.
Speaker 3: All right, Tony, thanks for the phone call. It's a real possibility.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: It just feels like the Dodgers are maybe a step or two better than the Yankees, And talking to some of the New York media, they said the Dodgers are the best team the Yankees have faced in over a month, and they're giving them fits.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to say it's going to be a sweep. I'm not going to go that far.
Speaker 3: But the Dodgers are in a great spot to have a three games to none lead with Walker Buehler on the mount in Game three on Monday night at Yankee Stadium. Game four is going to be a bullpen game for the Dodgers, and we'll see where it goes from there. Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Glendale. Aaron, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: Hi erin, Hey.
Speaker 17: David, how you doing man, Thanks for taking my call. I'm kind of in la la land with the Dodgers being up two to zero in the World Series. This has been a magical ride. One thing about this team is the invisible and tangible that they have. They have a level one hundred fight and they have zero back down in them, grit, determination and unity, and through such a troubling season, I think that's kind of they just glue together more tightly with all of the trials and tribulations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure you make it sound like doom and gloom. Trials and tribulations they've had their share of injuries, but what team hasn't. The one thing that I really love seeing from this team and the reason why I've had belief in this team is Number One, they're really talented. Even with some of the injuries they had, they've been able to have one of the greatest collection of talents in Major League history, starting with Otani, Bets and Freeman.
Speaker 4: And also the fact that they.
Speaker 3: Actually started to lock it in in the month of September and not dim the switch. I remember in spring training Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Dwayne Wade's trainer Tim Grover came in to speak to the team, and it wasn't about flipping the switch. It was about not allowing the switch to be dimmed. And the Dodgers never allowed that switch to be dimmed. And when it started to dim Dave Roberts called a team meeting to pick everybody up after Tyler glass Now was shut down for the season. So, yeah, they're a special group of players, Aaron, There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 17: Oh, definitely, I agree on the talent. I do have one question.
Speaker 13: It didn't seem like.
Speaker 17: Blake Trina was throwing his sinker at all, really maybe once, and I wanted to see if knew Whire had an idea and things. For taking my call, go Dodgers.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks for the phone call. You're right, he didn't throw it that often. He threw of his thirty three pitches, twenty of them were his slider slash sweeper. So I don't have the answer for that, except for the fact that it's one of the best pitches in Major League Baseball. He just was yanking it too much tonight eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. Let's take one more phone call before we check in with jose Mota. Nicole, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: Hey, Dave, what's going on. We're finally out of Dodgers State. I am, but I was there tonight with my two kids, my six year old my nine year old, and I just want to say we were very lucky enough. We were there last night, my husband and I, which is amazing, and then today we were there. We were lucky enough to get dugout tickets and four roads behind the Freeman family. And when Fred Freeman walked past us, I stopped and I said, mister Freeman, I just want to say I want to introduce you to my son, my six year old, who plays baseball, and thank you. I tell him every day about how Freddy used to go out take pitches from you for an hour, and I just want to thank you for giving us that work ethic to copy and we're so honored to meet you. So it was just an amazing, amazing time, like something obviously core memories for our kids, something we'll never forget. Last night pandemonium amazing. Just really I grew up in La Sampedro, remember eighty eight, you know, being at home, and so this year it's just it's magical. I feel like this is just a next level, you know, Dodger experience for everybody, and we're feeling it all across La.
Speaker 5: It's just so amazing.
Speaker 4: Love a great phone call, Nicole.
Speaker 3: Fred Freeman a great man, and he raised a great son, the Freeman family from his grandfather to his dad. Obviously I never met his mom, but obviously a great family. And Freddie is really if you had any kids out there and you wanted them to look up to a player, it would be Freddie Freeman. He stands for everything that's right. And here was his home run in the third inning. After ta Oscar Hernandez gave the Dodgers the lead, Freddie poured.
Speaker 1: It on the three two pitch.
Speaker 16: Freddie swings him belts a ball right field, no doubt gone, here's your team.
Speaker 6: What Carlos Rodan in Game two, third home run of the night in LA four.
Speaker 1: What lead?
Speaker 3: Freddie Freeman became just the eleventh player in baseball history to hit home runs in Game one and two in the same World Series. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers own the dream.
Speaker 2: It's tough to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 4: All right, Jose Mota.
Speaker 3: Everybody's freaking out over Sho Heo Tani dislocating his left shoulder or should I say sublization of his left shoulder the way even Cody Bellinger described it, pops in, pops back out, pops out, pops back in. Do you believe that Otani will be able to play again in this World Series?
Speaker 15: I've seen these injuries happen, Dave, and before you know it, you know, somebody says, oh, it's minor, But until you find out how much those ligaments are stressed out, you just don't know. So the best thing that's happening right now is you have a very good ball club. You have a team that's in a very good position. Showey, obviously we want him to do well and finish off the World Series in a successful way, but I think the conversation should lead more into Showhy doing well and knowing that you have a great team behind him, knowing that they've played this year without so many injured star players. Paternity for Showy because of who he is, what he represents. We pray for the very best. But there's no need whatsoever to risk him, and for sure, he's got to be in a good position. I mean, it becomes more of an issue, you know, obviously there's some markelist coming from the Yankees, and then win show going to be back because in I hate it, so hopefully it will not be the case at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's weird. I'm not that concerned about Otani. If he's not able to play the rest of the World Series. It would be just disappointing for him not to be able to play the rest of the World Series. But I feel like the Dodgers, it just feels like they got something where they wouldn't skip too much of a beat. And let's be honest here, the first two games of the World Series, Otani has not had a huge impact and the Dodgers have a two games to none lead, And.
Speaker 15: Even when he hit stretches during the season when he wasn't doing well, the Dodgers, sorry, the Dodgers. Man, It's a deep ball club. Guys have believe in each other and for Showy what he brings, and you know how I feel about him, I know for a very long time. I just I think the moment belongs more to this ball club and the fact that they're so deep. They're playing inspired baseball. Obviously, with his talents, he continue a game in a herd before you in so many different ways. But this team is so deep and running such a wave right now that I'm sure Shoe is a piece, even more a piece, knowing that is not an urgent situation as of right now, But let's wait and see as to how far out that shoulder came out and see how to think, you know, go from.
Speaker 4: There, Jose styles make fights.
Speaker 3: It just feels like Yamamoto style brings out the best of him against the Yankees. This was again the second time this year where he has dominated that lineup. Is it because he had the curveball and the splitter working? What is it about Yama Moto against this lineup?
Speaker 15: Mechanics on time. When I saw ninety eight against Glaber towards in the first thing, I said, Okay, he's on the loosest of the arm. He's a big believer and having a whip with his arm. When his arms is flowing freely as he finishes a pitch, that he gets a lot of life. In fact, a four steaver today was cutting a lot more than he wanted to, so I told it. I actually told Pepa, I say, if he tows it down just a little bit more because his arm is such a good spot, it's going to be better off. So he doesn't get that quick little late break that having the ball pop out from the outer corner strike to be in a ball when the Yankees were taking it. But man, Dave, he's on time with everything. I always have believe that with Austin Barnes catching throughout the regular season is when we saw him implement the curve all more and more. Now with Will Smith catching the last few games with yellow mode, especially when he came back from the injury, we saw that pitch being.
Speaker 13: Incorporated a little bit more.
Speaker 15: It's a big pitch. He's a ground ball pitcher. When he needs to, he can get out against by using the defense. But he is a complete guy who does not make anything look too big. At times it has not been very good. I know for sure that he has been tipping pitches. That issue has been taken care but at the same time and he competes that he just cannot go out there and measure in any computer analytics Ceverra metrics his heart because he's been through big moments, not in the US but in Japad. But the formality of the whole thing is where your mind is and where you go to, which is for young kids to understand. If you've been there before, you perform well, remember those moments. Visualize that you know that it doesn't matter circumstances, you believe in yourself, you execute, you play casualty catcher, and the ball's going to find some good zones.
Speaker 3: A big reason why the Dodgers have a two games to none lead in this series is because they've been able to contain Aaron Judge. Jowan Soto has taken his walks to night. He homerd last night. I was stanton with the go I had to run home run. But it hasn't been all three of them. What are the Dodgers doing so well against Aaron Judge?
Speaker 15: I said before the series, go out there and get strike one on him, because when you're under defensive right now as he is, he's guessing what.
Speaker 13: They're going to be starting with.
Speaker 15: Well, first of all, eagle out there and get a strike. I'm not going to say steal the strike because he's so dangerous. This guy had fifty at home runs, drove in one hundred and forty four runs. But when you have him under defensive as he is, he's talking about feeling for the ball. He's talking about lunging. I mean he's opening up. He actually straightened up his stands a little bit more as I was talking to Alex Rodriguez about this in New York.
Speaker 1: But he also.
Speaker 15: Knows that the Dodgers are challenging him. He's seeing strikes and he's actually seen a couple of hanging brick and balls that you know when he's on they're not going to be around the ballpark at all. But you know what, he's riding this wave and the Dodgers are attacking him, not shine away from the zone and being able to repeat good pitches time after time when it maps the most.
Speaker 3: It felt like the Dodgers needed to tack on maybe one more run tonight. Jose I brought up that one out double by Will Smith in the fourth inning. The Dodgers were not able to cash him in. Did you feel like it was a little too close for comfort as we were getting down to the final three innings tonight.
Speaker 15: You always feel that way when do you see the other team, you know, get a little closer. I mean, the Yankees hit more home runs than anybody in base be for a reason. One mistake and they're back in the game. But you always want to tack on runs. But you got to remember too, is the other teams run prevent runs, and the Yankees are a very good job and executing pitches as they did last night up until the tenth inning. So overall, just glad to have the lead they had, and with the power again, the Dodgers are getting it done. The wat's not a factory again today the Yankees are not walking Dodgers. Think about that too, is how they took advantage of that during the LCS. Yeah, they've capitalized on everything from the top of the order, bottom of the order. And for sure you know that there's a lot of firepower because guys are taking good swings and having very good at bats.
Speaker 3: All right, Jose Motor, Before I'll let you go, if Otani is not able to be in the lineup for Game three, who would be the Dodgers DH? I suggested Will Smith d H get him off his feet behind the plate and have Austin Barnes Catchwalker Bueller.
Speaker 15: That's a very good option. We know what the Austin bars can bring, and we know what the legs could be. If they're a little rusty, not a little rusty, but little tired. For Will Smith, it could be beneficial. The other option is, I mean, hopefully not going to be a case where you have to replace Showhan on the roster.
Speaker 19: But there's some.
Speaker 15: Options with that too. But Amy Pies becomes for you an option too with that. But and then the risk obviously that we know very well with having the two catchers of the game is that if you lose one of them, the other one, as a DH, has to go in the game and you have to go out there and incorporate the pitch. So there's a lot of things to weigh on and chances that you take more during the regular season that I think you're probably not going to take in the World Series when you go close to winning everything.
Speaker 3: All right, Jose, we'll see on the plane tomorrow on the way to the Bronx.
Speaker 15: Zoo Asta Manyana.
Speaker 3: All right, there he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast. And look, it's not that much of a risk to have Austin Barnes and Will Smith in the same starting lineup. For those of us that were in Texas, like I was isolated for three and a half weeks, we saw Austin Barnes catch four of the six World Series games while Will Smith was the DH. That's a combination that has worked for the Dodgers in the past. And if for some reason that Otani is not able to be in the starting lineup for the Dodgers, Buehler is very comfortable throwing to Austin Barnes, the entire pitching staff is, and he has not had one start in this entire postseason. Will Smith at times looks like he's underwater at the plate, especially on fastballs. It might be something to help Will at the plate, and you don't lose anything defensively with Austin Barnes catching. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number if I had to bet on it. I don't see Otani being in the starting lineup for Game three. Whether or not he plays again in the World Series, nobody can predict that because the MRI has not been taken yet. So I just feel like there's an outside chance that Otani starts in Game three, and still a very good chance that he may play again in the World Series. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers win Game two tonight four to two over the Yankees behind a great pitching performance from Yamamoto, who went six and the third innings allowed just one hit. As the Dodgers go to New York now two wins away from winning the World Series.
Speaker 4: Let's go out to George in La. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 19: Hi George, Hey Dave, thanks taking my call. Hey, just a couple of things real quick. You know about Freddie Freeman's home run last night. You know, I love that he's now a part of Dodger lore because I think a lot of us were waiting for that big hit the past couple of seasons. And you know, I just.
Speaker 4: Yet him here.
Speaker 3: Mookie had his signature moment defensively during the twenty twenty World Series, but uh, he really hasn't had a signature offensive moment in the postseason, and Freddy now has his signature moment.
Speaker 19: Yeah, and I feel like he got rid of some of that brave stanch if you will. But you know what about today, you know, you you brought up the fact about needing one another run or two, and it kind of concerned me, you know, And and I just feel not to be mean or anything, but I feel like when Rojas is in the lineup, he doesn't really contribute offensively. What would you how would you feel about putting like Taylor at short? I mean, I know he's had it struggle, but.
Speaker 4: He Taylor a short. No, Tommy Edmon would be at short.
Speaker 3: If Rojas is not Taylor plays second in the outfield, he's not playing short.
Speaker 19: Well, what I'm saying is not Rojas, you know, because I just thought we need we got.
Speaker 3: The spots start today because Rodin was on the mound. And look, I'll be candid with you, a lot of people were surprised that Rojas did get the start tonight because what the Dodgers have been doing with Pajz and Center, Edmund and Keik and Taylor, a lot of people thought that's the way it would be. But look, Rojas is not going to get many more starts in the World Series, but he's been a big part of this team.
Speaker 19: George, I agree with what you say about this team having momentum, whether or not. And for those of us who lived through eighty eight, you know when they were we were doing it with Scotch Tape and Denny Heat and those guys. Once you get going, man, we just got to keep believing going man.
Speaker 4: The next man up, next man up.
Speaker 3: Thanks you for the phone call, George, And look, the Dodgers have a very talented ross. Can you replace Shoe Heotani? Absolutely not.
Speaker 4: His presence alone as the first hitter in the game in New York with the Dodgers being the visiting team, is a presence you can't replace, you can't duplicate.
Speaker 3: He's a guy that takes a lot of attention and energy from the opposing pitcher. I'm not trying to diminish that. But the Dodgers have really good players, and you know right now they are playing really good baseball one through nine.
Speaker 4: It's not just one guy. So the reality is the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Are not going to concede the World Series if shoe Aotani cannot play in Game three, or if he can't play the rest of the World Series. What stinks is if he's not able to play, is that he's hurt. He's been such a big part of the season. You would love for him to be out there on the field participating when I'm gonna say, when the Dodgers clinched the World Series, that's that's the ideal thing for Otani and the Dodgers, considering the impact he's had in his first year. But if it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be. But that's something that even if he's not able to play the rest of the World Series that's not gonna take anything away from his huge, ginormous contributions. Let's go out to Ben, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight. Hi, Ben, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Hey Dave.
Speaker 12: Thanks for taking the call, man, And before my question, I just want to say thanks for keeping us Dodgers fans honest, optimistic, and you know, excited for the team. Keeping our momentum up as a fan base means a lot to me as a as a fan. And I'm sure that that reflects back into the team when they hear us in the stadium and on the media every every day.
Speaker 1: But I don't know about that.
Speaker 3: I don't think they care what I have to say, Ben. But whatever I tell you, I tell them to their face.
Speaker 12: I'll tell you that, Yeah, well we haveppreciate it, man. And I was going to ask you, you know, what do you think one, what do you think game two means after the big moment yesterday, Like, what does this mean in the context of the series for us to take four two.
Speaker 3: To measure off the Dodgers to not have to win two games in New York.
Speaker 4: They they have no pressure going into New York.
Speaker 3: They just have to win one game now in New York, and worst case scenario, I guess, if you want to look at it that way, they bring it home for two games at Dodgers Stadium. So winning the first two games is ginormous for the Dodgers. Ben, it's it just takes it puts all the pressure on.
Speaker 12: The Yankees, Yes, sir, okay. And then I was going to ask you, how does yesterday stock up in terms of big World Series moments for the Dodgers in your lifetime with twenty eighteen as an example.
Speaker 3: Well, twenty eighteen was not one of the greatest World Series moments of my life. They lost to the Red Sox, and the Red Sox were a really good team that year. But in my lifetime, Ben, I would say it's right up there with Kurt Gibson's home run. I obviously was only twelve years old when that took place and I was watching that from my home. But if you're going to rank Freddie Freeman's walk off Grand Slam in Game one of the World Series, it's right there with Kurt Gibson's home run. And after that, I think about Rick Monday's Game five home run in the ninth inning of the eighty one NLCS. I think about Justin Turner's walk off home run on against the Cubs in Game two of the twenty seventeen NLCS. Those are the home runs in Dodger postseason history that I think of. And also I think about Mikesosha's home run in Game four the eighty eight NLCS.
Speaker 4: So those are the top five in my book.
Speaker 12: That's awesome, No love for Monthly twenty eighteen game three.
Speaker 4: They lost the World Series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was game three for I would have said pweeks home run Peaks Grand Slam in Game four would have been up there, but unfortunately they lost that game too.
Speaker 4: They took rich Hill out.
Speaker 3: Yeah all right, Ben, let's not talk about that, Ben, anyway, those are my top five.
Speaker 12: All right, Well, thanks so much. Appreciate you taking the call, all right, Ben.
Speaker 4: Thank you for the phone call. Yeah, that those would be off.
Speaker 3: Those in my lifetime are the top five Dodger home runs. Gibson's home run in eighty eight, Freddy's walk off Grand Slam. I'm thinking Rick Monday's home run Blue Monday against the Expos Game five of the NLCS to send them to the eighty one World Series. I'm thinking Justin Turner's walk off home run against John Lackey and the Cubs in Game two of the twenty seventeen NLCS, which happened to be on the anniversary of Kirk Gibson's eighty eight home run as well. And then fifth would be Mike Sosiz Game four home run off of Dwight Goodin to tie the game in the ninth inning at Shay Stadium. So those are the top five postseason home runs in Dodger history that I've been alive for. So there you go, in case you wanted my top five. All right, that'll do it for us from Dodger Talk tonight. We will be with you from the Bronx on Monday after Game three. Walker Buehler going up against Clark Schmidt. Clark Schmidt in two postseason starts for the Yankees has not gone five innings against the Royals and Guardians. He each pitched or pitched four and two thirds innings in both of those starts, and talking to some Dodger players, I mentioned this during the clubhouse, but I'll mention it again. They said that his style of pitching is similar to Michael King of the Pots, who was formerly of the Yankees.
Speaker 4: He was part of the want Soto trade.
Speaker 3: Our coverage begins on Monday at four o'clock with Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. First pitch from Yankee Stadium with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson at five to oh eight. Thanks to calling ye back at our burd Bank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Stadium, and thanks to you for listening.
Speaker 3: In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Once again. The final score from Dodgers Stadium, Game two of the World Series goes the Dodgers way of four to two victory over the Yankees. We will talk to you Monday night from New York. Have a great rest of your weekend. Dodgers up two to oho in the World Series, two wins away.
Speaker 4: From being champions. We'll talk to you Monday. See ya.