Speaker 1: You hear us talk about ways to unlock VIP membership through your Apple account and the Apple Podcast app, and also through Patreon or Spotify. To unlock a full VIP membership with full access to archives and ad free website and customizable podcast feeds that are compatible with the Apple Podcast app and many iOS and Android apps, along with streaming ability right from our ad free mobile site, go to pwtorch dot com slash go VIP. That's pwtorch dot com slash go VIP That'll give you all the details on everything you're missing out on by not being a VIP member, the whole array of VIP exclusive podcasts like The Way Keller news bulletins, our post pay per view roundtables, The Fix that I host with Todd Martin, Everything with Rich and Wade, and an array of other shows with different hosts and different themes, along with unlocking our archives dating back nearly four decades nearly two thousand. Pro Wrestling Torch weekly newsletters over two decades, a podcast on demand dating back to the mid two thousand, starting with pay per view roundtables of fascinating retro radio shows, including many that I hosted in the nineteen nineties and an AD free website. Exclusive content on that website only for VIP members written and audio, and a lightning fast, smooth, AD free VIP mobile site for all of our content. Don't miss out on all the benefits. Treat yourself to a VIP membership. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP go all the way, Go VIP. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, welcome back to this week's brand new episode of Worship Better. We have Stephanie Chase back in the house, back on the mike. Stephanie, welcome back.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I'm sorry. I've been mia for for two weeks. I think so apologies as just having me. God, I was just having one of those months. But you know we're getting into August, n so I feel a lot better.
Speaker 2: Good good see. I'd rather you feel better and be on the podcast, and feel bad and not be on the podcast. The good combination for me. So yeah, So I'm excited to get you back today. And for anybody that doesn't know, this show, Worse or Better is where Stephanie and I take a look at a wrestling topic and kind of compare it to its past and see whether or not the current iteration is as you may if you asked, worse or better. Today we are talking AW pay per views, which is a particularly relevant topic because we are one reeker moved from AW Redemption. Stephanie, did you purchase Redemption and watch it for six hours?
Speaker 3: No? Yeah, I was going to say that Initially, if I hadn't gone Mia, we would have recorded this pre redemption, but I think it's best recording it post redemption to add to it. I think this will only add to our discussion. But no, Tony Kaan did not get my money for Redemption.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, leading into it, I had planned when we recorded this episode two weeks ago to'd be like, yeah, this pay per view does not need to exist, and they only proved that with the actual pay per view.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I know we'll get to that Redemption will have its movement.
Speaker 2: It will, and hopefully one day it'll even have its redemption. But for now, if we're gonna be talking aew pay per views, I guess we should start out just kind of we're in SummerSlam era, which is why we were talking about SummerSlam a couple of weeks back. So Summerslam's like the number two pay per view for WW obviously, and wrestle Media is the number one. But my question to you, Stephanie is what do you feel is aw's big pay per view like their WrestleMania, which is a phrase people use.
Speaker 3: So I think it's double or nothing, right.
Speaker 2: I think it's because it's like the original.
Speaker 3: I see that, yeah, because it's original. But I think a problem that we will encounter with AW AW pay per views and Tony Kahan is him being a man of habit right that likes to mark occasions and name things, and he's very married to certain dates and places and stuff. So to me, with double or Nothing being the first one, I certainly would have said in the first you know, four or five years of AW, that that is their WrestleMania. But the problem of constantly holding it in Las Vegas is like, it's not good. You know, it's not good. I don't think you necessarily need to do a gambling theme in Las Vegas. You know, now who happens all over? I think now it seems like it's all in, but that being placed in Wembley, you know constantly as well, I don't actually think there's a definitive answer because they don't follow the WWE model of moving events know as much and like drawing people making it a destination in that way, it's very odd, like as we'll probably come to when we discuss the pay per views. I've been to so many aw pay per views, but I don't feel like I've been to that many different American cities once. Tony is like so consistent and where he holds them. So yeah, I think to me, it's double or nothing. But I know he's pushing all In as being the one and all In obviously has a connection to the original all In that spawned AUW. We've talked about that before. But you know, having like your biggest pay per view of the year should not be this big event that you like, they're an American company, right, so it shouldn't be this huge event that you hold in another country in that country like one of their biggest stadiums. It should be an event that moves around America and you can it overseas, like so move around America, Europe or whatever, and like that's the destination for everyone, is this event. But I don't know, what do you think is the biggest.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing Steffia I asked that question. I'm like, this is a stupid question. She's just going to say all in because that is what I think. So I'm like, so that's what she's going to say. So if I sounded surprised when you said double or nothing, is because I was surprised when you said double or nothing. But I do understand that because it is the original. And it is funny that they keep going to back to Las Vegas with that. Ww went back to back to Las Vegas for WrestleMania's and they saw diminishing returns immediately, and it's it's just odd that w AW just like they feel like like every all out is always in Chicago, like they have burnt Chicago out, like pay per views what everything. They are there all the time, like you know where all out is this your stuff? It's in Chicago, see.
Speaker 3: From like just with the double and nothing like. So I went to the one in twenty twenty two. So that did fourteen, four hundred and fifty nine and Ben Oh and I went and I had a press ticket and we were struggling to get him a ticket because it was sold out, you know, And we eventually got him one and if you go a year later, I went by myself, battle didn't go with me and they only did ten, five hundred and fifty right, And it's like, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Wonder what right part of that is? Going back to the next year again asked ww and their biggest show the year of how that goes? And part of that is like that was like twenty twenty three. The let's face it, the trajectory of the company was kind of on a downswing through that period. But to get back to the actual question you asked, I would say all in, but it's weird to say all in because we didn't have all in until twenty twenty three. Anyway, that's the first all in, So I feel like they do want it to be that now. But again, like you said, they keep going back to Wimbley, and they were in Texas last year, but it sold less than even this year's disappointing sales for Wimbley. So I do feel like all in is where they try to do like big, big matches. So I feel like that is at least what they do. Even though well I will give aw paper credits this, they don't. They usually deliver at least one or two. Like what I can said, like big matches, like they don't save them. They don't, they don't have like a good match in October and then save it till you know, all In in the summer. Usually they'll usually go ahead and run with it if they have it. WW on the other hand, will be known to hold off, like I don't know, Opa Femi and Roman reigns for a year because you've got to get it to WrestleMania. So I don't think they have WrestleMania at all in that way.
Speaker 3: It's funny, like they all in Texas. I've almost completely forgotten about that, but now I've been properly remembered of his existence, and I think if they had done more all ins in different places, in different big places like that, it would work a lot better. But I remember before that all In in Texas them doing like this Texas press conference or something. Oh yeah, I remember that, and I was just like, oh, you know, I felt like I was a mean girls, like stop trying to make all In happen. But it was just funny like that, like after it came out of Wembley that which the first Wembley. I did think they did a dreadful job of promoting, like absolutely dreadful, and they still sold so many tickets because it was so unique. And then to see them like when they go to Texas, thing like let's put on this big you know, effort like at the beginning, which I still don't even think led to it being seen as big a show as they wanted it to. But maybe it's just maybe it just doesn't have a WrestleMania yet. But yeah, I don't know. I do think they are now pushing it being all in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that at this point that's what they wanted to be. But like I said, they've only had it. This is the fourth one, so it's kind of hard to say that's your WrestleMania when you've been around for seven years, so has they've been around half the time, so Stephanie, as you know, in the beginning AEW twenty nineteen, they had the four pay per views, which mister Tony Kahan described as the Big four, which is kind of funny because you know, WW has their Big four pay per views which are kind of spread out across the calendar, and then AW had their Big four, which is funny that he called them that, But those originally those were the only four pay per views.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so Double or Nothing, all Full Gear and Revolution right.
Speaker 2: Right, and out of those four, I feel like maybe Revolution is the WrestleMania, But I think that's just because I think that because that one in the Spring is probably why I think that.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, so Revolution it actually starts in twenty twenty because twenty nineteen they start with Double or Nothing in the May, and that first Revolution, which was guests were in Chicago, Shock Shocking, that ends up being their last show before the pandemic. Oh right, so a great way to to like kill the momentum of that. But I really like looking at their early calendar, Like I really like it because yeah, you know, calling them the Big four and them only having four like is stupid, but I think that how well they were spaced out meant they all seemed like a big deal. Do you think Full Gear will always be one of the absolute strandes pay per view names? Do you remember of the fill Gear name?
Speaker 2: I actually do now. I don't think they reckon do it all. But this was like a BT joke about being wearing like your full gear like and places.
Speaker 3: Pack turned up at the first press conference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that's how I always picture a pack one hundreds of the time is in trunks and just covered in baby oil. That's how I picture pack.
Speaker 3: But on BT, I'm pretty sure Hangman Page was going to like body image issues right.
Speaker 2: Well when he started, he just wore trunks and now he's in pants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there was some kind of like body image issue stuff going on with Hangman Page, and this led to him saying to Pack like, I'll be there, like you know, full gear, like I'll take my shut off and be in my gear or whatever. But it has it has some kind of like weird origin that verges on the on the problematic because of the they hang on Page stuff. But now they like they make you think it's like a kind of a steampunk thing with cogs, you know, like that.
Speaker 2: Whole they act like full gear is just like an accepted phrase that's related to like machinery that people use.
Speaker 3: It's not, it's not at all. But I just wanted to bring that up because I think the other names double or nothing, all out and revolution are are are fine, but full gear is always the one where it's like, why didn't you change that?
Speaker 2: Right? It makes no sense, Like if it was a BT pay per view, sure, but yeah, and yeah, they're just rolling with it like it's a real thing.
Speaker 3: I think, like, what when you're looking back at the time when it was only four, you do have like the you have these great memories. I certainly do of watching like these pay per views when they were on like double or nothing was something I was super excited for to watch. I remember just sitting watching that and not even like moving for the whole time. And then I don't really count the Fighter Fast and Fight for the Fallen stuff.
Speaker 2: Nor should you, as they were free and sparsely attended. Although I was at Fight for the Fallen my first I it was awkward. It was a weird show, like it was very poorly put together. The production was bad. It was not very memorable. I just remember being there. I don't remember anything else about the show.
Speaker 3: I'm not surprised that they had bad production, et cetera, et cetera. God does plague them still at times. Still, Yeah, and the first you know, like the first all out, having the first championship match and everything like that, and then and Full Gear too. But you know, it was a really fun time and the promotion felt extremely hot and we end up, you know, when we go through the pandemic, they still like thankfully in twenty twenty, they they don't add anything, but they had to go through these like zero attendant shows or just having wrestlers in the audience and whatnot. And I think they did a really good job because like they made the choice to do that rather than the mental WWE thunderdome creaziness.
Speaker 1: Did you know that you can enjoy commercial free versions of all of your favorite weight color podcasts and people you Torch daily casts on Spotify. Just go to patreon dot com search pw Torch and subscribe to of EVPP membership tier. You get a seven day free trial by the way to kick the tires a bit and see if you like the service, and then sink it with Spotify and you can listen to commercial free versions of our free shows like the Way Keller Post shows, the Weaykeller Podcast, Flagship, our Flashbacks, and also the pw Torch Day the cast lineup. Again all commercial free and nice streamline listening experience. But with third tier membership you can also unlock all the VIP podcasts, including Everything with Rich and Wade, to Fix with Todd, Martin that I host with Todd every week, the wad Keller news bulletins, post pay per view roundtables, and an array of other VIP exclusive podcasts with different hosts and different themes. Check out the lineup. Go to Patreon and search PW Torch and subscribe and sync it up with Spotify or stay within the Patreon ecosystem. Either way works. Go to Patreon and start your seven day free trial.
Speaker 2: You have to give I don't know, they don't give much credit for this, but you have to give them a lot of credit. They've been around for about a year when they lose all their fans, and up to this point, I would say the fans were like the MVP of the aw experience. They showed up for every show. They were loud, they were into the product, and mean it seemed like some stuff seemed like a bigger deal than it actually was. Like losing the fans and being able to transition into something that wasn't horrible was a win.
Speaker 3: I would say, Yeah, it was really really good. And I think for me being a fan at home, that was sad that I didn't have a chance of attending any of these you know events, with everything travel bands and all that. They really gave me something to look forward to, you know, sitting watching them. I think a lot of time me and Banno would watch them like on zoom, you know, like both watching them at the same time. Like I remember when Matt Hardy nearly died.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yep, that was a classic memory.
Speaker 3: That's a clo classic memory that I'll have forever. But that era of AW really even if you add in like the weirdness of the pandemic, but if the pandemic didn't exist, and those AW shows were like just how they were, there was a certain magic about it and they were so memorable and it was just a nice little you know, four shows a year. That's cool. And yeah twenty twenty one, they keep that they get fans back for double or nothing, but it's just at Daily's Place, right, That's another one.
Speaker 2: I was present for that, and I was so excited to be back at a wrestling show. It was like I remember, for some reason, Wade played the like a replay of the post show for that like a couple of weeks ago, and like it was like gushing, just like everybody was so happy that like live wrestling was back like I don't remember if the show was that good.
Speaker 3: I remember Saber who was left standing tall at the end of the show.
Speaker 2: See, no, I do not. I remember that's where Britt Baker won the title. I remember that it.
Speaker 3: Was Sammy Gabbar because the Inner Circle won.
Speaker 2: But like you're right, Oh my god, what Yeah, no, you're right because they factored in the stadium stampede thing last. Yeah, it's so funny. Yeah. This is also where Cody was the remember when he was feuding with Anti Nagogo and he had to be like the real American against the evil foreign heel Anthony A. Gogo who hadn't done anything before it hasn't done anything since.
Speaker 3: That is like that, that's amazing that you were there.
Speaker 2: I witnessed that. I also saw Brian Cage and like the worst fake plastic terminator outfit that came out. It was like broad Daylight. It was so bad. It was not a good show. Actually I remember it fondly, but it was not good.
Speaker 3: I think that, like some of the there is some really bad stuff in early AW but it has it's almost like that the kind of like early early Attitude era. Still at the end of like New Generation stuff where like there is this stuff that is just objectively shit, but like it's kind of fun too. It's not like a like a fencely bad. You know, like there's something about it where you're like, oh, you're trying. But that Cody and a Go Go feud like that that should haunt Cody Rhoads forever, and.
Speaker 2: It kind of did. For aw he starts sliding downhill like during and after this era.
Speaker 3: I ended up watching a you know what, it might have been the next pay per view, so all Out the next pay per view.
Speaker 2: Right in Chicago. As you might be surprise learned.
Speaker 3: Yes we're still talking double or nothing, but all Out. I watched that pay per view in a bar sat with ANTHONYA Gogo.
Speaker 2: Why why this makes no sense?
Speaker 3: I was hosting a watch party for the event in London and someone there knew ANTHONYA Gogo who was in London, and like text him do you want to come w all Out at this bar? And he said yes, And then the guy who ran the event was like, oh my god, ANTHONYA Gogo is coming and he he's like, when ANTHONYA Gogo comes in, get him on stage. And I was like sure, So Anthony A. Gogo walks in and I like bring him on stage, and I just started like asking him questions on the fly about like what what do you think's going to happen and whatever and yeah. So during that, like he I remember him saying that because you remember Big Show did the.
Speaker 2: Way in yes, saying yes, I remember that that was also bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he said something like that Big Show didn't like him because Big Show misheard something that he said in his English accent, and I think Big Show thought that he'd called that he called him the sea word and he hadn't, or something like that.
Speaker 2: It does be fair if somebody from England calls me the sea word. I can't take offense to that, like I could if like my next door neighbor called me the sea word. It's just I feel like built in.
Speaker 3: I think what it was was like he'd he called him a yank or something in the promo, but like that's not what Big Show hard, but it was like something like that. But anyway, Anthony Gogo is super nice guy. I think I met him like two more times after this when he was he he came to see WEV Pro once and he's a lovely he's a lovely guy, but would definitely love to get his complete uncensored thoughts on this feud with Cody, because there was so much, so much weirdness in it, even that like when Cody like put a weird racial layer onto it and it's like he didn't realize like a Go Go is blag. It was just all so bizarre. And then when they I think when they showed it on the aw like reality show, like Tony was so mad about how the weighan went and everything. This was just it was just one of the most ill conceived feuds I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: It was truly bad. And you know what you say, Go Go's nast dude, I bet he is. He I liked him. I thought he had a good look in interesting kind of style. But it kind of gives you an idea of what happened when he was fighting Cody at double or Nothing, and like three months later all out he was at a watch party watching it from London, So that was kind of, unfortunately the tippy top of his career.
Speaker 3: I think I think you could have done a lot more with a Go Go, like I really do, and it just like it just it just didn't work out, you know, like a tawn and he has a level of fame in the UK. And I would say like three different times in my day job, which is working on an entertainment website, that I have had to write about Anthony Agogo being on a reality show. He's been on a show that I can't even describe, but it's like you go through you know, like sas training, you know, military training, like as a celebrity and they like torture you and stuff and this is like reality TV. Like seriously, he's been on like one of those shows and a couple of others, and he is I have never had to write an article about him or had to edit or correct an article about him that ever mentions that he's in AAW like they always call him like ex boxer. And he also did the the British version of Dancing with the Stars, so they'll mention that too, and that was long before AW. But he's never presented in these shows as a pro wrestler.
Speaker 2: We didn't really talk about that much when he did Our Celebrities episode. But they have never been very good at capitalizing on people associated with their company that could would be used like Anthony Gogo. People apparently know who he is. He's not a big deal over here, I'll be honest with you. In fact, he's probably best known for being an aaw in America, but which is unfortunate.
Speaker 3: I can't believe we had a huge Afterdea Go Go side. But yes, you were at Double or Nothing when the fans came back, you were one of them.
Speaker 2: I just want to add Anthony Gogo is still technically on the roster. It's on the roster page and apparently a member of Shane Taylor Promotions, which means he might be wrestling our age for all I know.
Speaker 3: Wow, Well, you know, good luck.
Speaker 2: To so the pandemic. We're kind of what we were talking about. And it's crazy when we come out of the pandemic into twenty twenty one, we still have the four pay per views. This is good. I feel like this twenty twenty one run, like I said, Double or Nothing, was kind of a celebration of the return of wrestling and then all out. I feel like this was a really good run. These were like all four shows this year were like solid and well received, like they were on an upswing coming out of the pandemic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you get All at which I watched with Anthony at Gogo. CM Punk's first match that CM Punk versus Darby Allen fill Gear Minneapolis, Minnesota. I was this was when I think it was in mid September that President Biden announced the travel band would be lifted, and I booked my flights like immediately, yeah, like immediately, And I mean that that was an incredible experience for me because like, like you were saying, with double or nothing, like, I was so happy to be in Minnesota for this pay per view, Like I really think I have still never had a happier moment in my life than when I arrived at my hotel in Minnesota, because I just never thought I would make it after like two years from Oh my God, it was awful and this I met Wade at the show, and I met like a lot of other people that i'd you know, seen online and stuff like that that you have finally seen in the flash. But this is the show where Hangman Page wins the championship, tears worshiped by myself, like tears worshiped. And I think it was just the build up of everything because the pH story is definitely from the beginning of aw he it much and I know he goes, he goes up and downe and everything. But like his this initial character arc I think was really amazing and well done. But you add into the fact of that, like for me that I was finally out at a pay per view, So this is to me, this is the this is the AW peak and this is the end of the golden era. Is Hangman Page lifting that title at Full Gear twenty twenty one?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And that was a great moment when we were talking about full Gear a minute ago, Like, for some reason, I associate full Gear with Hangman and as soon as we got it, like, oh, this is why, Well, because he is the genesis of the name, the odd name, but also I always associate with Hi because yeah, because that's when he finally wins the title from Omega, which is yes, the very cathartic moment is a good moment. Like you said, and other people have said, like, Hangman is like the main character of AW. So you've been following him at this point for like three years or two years and he finally win a title.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I've always been a big proponent of him being the main character, but I've started to wonder now if it's like he he is the main character of seasons one and two, and have we now entered some kind of season three, or he's not because he can't challenge for the title anymore. And as much as I really do love him, I do feel that he's he likes his time off, and like whatever his reasons are for that, that's personal to him and no judgment on that. But at the same time, your main character like in their time off probably isn't like like a great thing. So it really feels like a golden age for a rousing company. And when he lifts that belt, and then it's no surprise that when we get to twenty twenty two, the next year we have an addition to the Big four.
Speaker 2: Right, So this is, I would is the next era. So twenty twenty one into even Revolution twenty twenty two I consider like part of that run. And during this period, by the way, like buys for and attendance are all coming out of the pandemic obviously, but buys are way up, Like the buyers for Revolution are like one hundred and seventy three. That's like maybe the third or fourth best they've ever done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then we're like, you know, I went to Revolution twenty twenty two as well, so I was back back back in America a couple of months later. Epic match on that card and JF Firsus Sampunk.
Speaker 2: Absolutely maybe match of the year, maybe.
Speaker 3: I think Match of the Year and then a bit of a locked me an event, because I just remember the crowd chatting like, both these guys are called Adam. They're both Adam Adam Paige bosses.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, yeah, yeah, and well, this is another thing we have like during this year. This is where we get this is where we get Sampunk interested company. Before All Out, I had his first match at All Out, and then Danielson and Cole both debut at All Out together, Yes, and then we get Swerve and Regal showing up a Revolution. I'm sure you'd love getting William Regal. You're like, I traveled across an ocean to go to Orlando to see William Regal.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I think I said this year at the time of the William Legal thing. I remember being in the stunts at Revolution and seeing him appear. I'm thinking for Fox it, I have really tied myself to this company. So it looks like I'm just gonna have to accept whatever they do, and I'm gonna have to accept Wlidian Weigel. But I he sure did let me done almost immediately.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there was not a great member run for Willia Regal, although we are still feeling the effects of his brief appearance. Yeah. But okay, So then in twenty twenty two, like you said, they add a show. Now I don't. This is the show they add, just so I'm not feel like I'm building it up. It's Forbidden Door. They add Forbidden Door to the calendar, and this doesn't Initially it doesn't feel like, hey, we're adding an annual pay per view to the show. It felt like we're having this special event pay per view. And if you take in that context, it makes absolute sense that they throw in Forbidden Door. They can hold another pay per view. This. I do remember initially thinking this is a special event and it was awesome. Although of course it was in Chicago. You know that I was there. Here's the question, were you also all out in Chicago? Like it's two months after this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: You to go for three months on the pay per views.
Speaker 4: Searching for more great pro wrestling talk, then join me Jason Powell, host of the three weekly Pro Wrestling Boom podcast, asked each week you'll hear the latest news and analysis for me and my team at pro wrestling dot net along with other pro wrestling media members. Plus, the Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast features long form interviews with notable names in the pro wrestling industry. Subscribe and iTunes, ditcher, downcast, and all your favorite secondary apps, or visit us directly at PW boom dot com. Once again, that's PW boom dot com.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was what I was going to ask you about for Bidden Door was did you think Forbidden Door was going to be an annual paper the first year? And obviously you didn't, and neither did I. When Tony announced Forbidden Door, it did feel like a massive one off, which I'm sure we went through this in our cost promotion thing, but it really did feel special, probably hence me going to Chicago for it. I remember before this show, I was so excited, and I think it still exists, so maybe it doesn't. But myself and Bano and Andrew and sp three, we all meete our own fantasy show and it was amazing putting together all these people and then the card did not turn out like that, right. I'm not saying it was a bad part, but this was not a dream Match card, which should have been the first signal that Tony was planning this to be a yearly event.
Speaker 2: Right, and they've continued to Usually they do deliver like one big like Dreamers match, and then the rest are like very much just tag team matches, multiman matches, or irrelevant matches. Yeah, so you're right, that should have been a tip off that, oh, this is what Forbidden Door is going to be. Well, if you're just going to do this, you can do this every year, and they have. So we get the five pay per views a year if you count Forbidden Door, which again we still thought was only going to be a one off. So if you look at it as the Big four, they're still doing good. Like buys are still up. Forbidden Door actually has the worst buys of the entire year there, Like people were not this first for Ben Door too. First of all, it seemed like a one off, and also like d railed, all the booking everything went sideways. They started bringing people in and everything was like crazy. I remember, it just seemed like a speed bump before you got the all Out is kind of how they presus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it still feels like that to me.
Speaker 2: I agree with that one hundred sep.
Speaker 3: But what's interesting as well about this time, just while we're hear it in twenty twenty two and you're talking about like the by rates are still going up and everything. And I did say that revolution was the end of the golden era, and then we have like the times where things are still good because we don't know that the storm is coming, like we haven't seen the iceberg yet, but we're moving slowly towards it. Because the set the Double or Nothing of twenty twenty two is where Punk wins the championship, and even me and Benno, who has with that year as the two biggest seampunk fans, we were like, this is not right, This is not right at all.
Speaker 2: You would be proven right not a few months later when all Out rolls around. That's this year.
Speaker 3: Well, we hung around for the Dynamite in La where he got injured right immediately after he had to vag hit the belt.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and then we get Injurim title nonsense, Yes, then we.
Speaker 3: Got Forbidden Door. Whatever we've talked about that all Out, I was in Chicago. I was at the show before, so it wouldn't have been a dynamite. It would have been a rampage or something.
Speaker 2: They still did rampage. This is before collision, so it kind of had to be rampage.
Speaker 3: Or maybe it was on the dynamite. But remember him and Moxley had.
Speaker 2: A random Yes, they had a random match where Moxley just beats him in like twenty seconds or something.
Speaker 3: And then he doesn't want to do the big match and then.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're right, and a Steele has to talk him into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was sat beside Zach Hey don't hay on for that show. Great man, great great writer, great podcaster, and we were talking about Punk before the show. My biggest memory of this is like, you know, he like he's he's a Chicago guy and I'm and I'm like a punk fan girl and he's certainly not a fan boy, Like he's way more sensible than me, and it's just like, you know the problem with Punk sometimes is that he does seem really great, but like he'll always let you down. And then he comes out at this show, does his promo and like he turns to some guy in the crowd He's like, shut up, you fat virgin or something. It was something like so blatant like that, it's very punk. I just turned mind to Zac and I say, this is exactly what I mean, like like, no one can teach this man, just like why why are you doing this? But yeah, so I would just want to pint the picture there before we talk about getting even more pay per views than next year of where we were in history as we closed twenty twenty two with now unbeknownst to us, five annual pay per views.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I'm with you, like I'm still riding high. I'm still like, man, aw is really killing it. When they got Punk, I'm like, oh, well, gosh. And then you had Brian Danilson come in and like, oh, oh gosh, things are looking up. And then you have all Out. You have Punk and Moxley and that should be a great match. You had MJF return to win the ladder match and get his shot at the title, and you're thinking, oh man, you're getting Punk and MJF again, but for the title. Holy hell, this should be everything to be great. And then it's far and then nothing happened after the show, right, Stephanie, They just nothing happened. Everything just went smoothly, and full Gear was a couple months after that, and everything was exactly the same as it was before. Obviously we don't have to re litigate Out, but I think it is like a like an inflection point where things start going not as positively for AW. I mean, it splits fans in many ways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we definitely don't have to go through ball Out again. I've certainly told my my own personal story of that. I don't I forget what episode it was I went through that, but we've talked that. I think that ball Out is the iceberg, forgive me. I recently watched listen to a five hour Titanic podcast, So Blolla is probably the iceberg. But I think it took the Titanic like two hours and forty minutes or something to sink and a few terms. That's a few more pay per views right right if.
Speaker 2: You look goes that way. Also, like they were heading towards it the whole time. They just didn't know, like they could have steered away from it. This could have been avoided, but they didn't. They ran right into the iceberg.
Speaker 3: In the situation, they really did, so, Yes, twenty twenty three. Surprise, Surprise, in June, we've got another forbidden door.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and tear comes Forbidden Door. I number for that. Oh you didn't go to Toronto for that. Wait, it was in Toronto that we said. Yeah, okay, well I didn't go to Toronto either. I've never left this country that I'm currently in.
Speaker 3: I did not go to the Double or Nothing before that. I went to the Revolution in Sound Francisco. Oh shit, I did go to the Double or Nothing. Okay, it was in Vegas, shocker. Yeah it was. I went to Revolution and I went to Double or Nothing. And there's nothing that sticks out in my head from either of them. But yes, I did not go to a forbidden Doors. So this forbidden Door in Toronto is the second Forbidden Doors. So now we know it's annual, so now we can call it annual forbid door.
Speaker 2: We know for sure and it has continued, yess.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it is their first pay per view to be held outside the United States of America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it actually it does pretty well in attendance. It's almost fifteen thousand.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, at this point, I mean we're fourst years in, like aw has established a certain quality of pay per view. Even people who don't watch Dynamite, A lot of people are still like check out the pay per view because always delivers for sure, for sure.
Speaker 3: And then so at some point earlier in the year, we got the announcement of All In at Wembley Stadium, which becomes our sixth aw pay per view on the calendar there. So I had heard that they were doing a show in London. Might I'd heard this in the grand vine in the British wrestling scene, and I was living in London at the time, and I'd heard some ideas. So I had of course heard Craven Cottage as an idea, which is the grounds of the Super Bowl team that that Tony Kahan owns, which makes sense, the soccer, sorry soccer team, the soccer.
Speaker 2: Team he owns, the World Cup, Stephanie, you can get away with football for another couple of months in America.
Speaker 3: So that that would have been interesting, right, And then I heard rumors of some other places in London and somebody like I think it was somewhat a British wrestler or maybe like a promoter or something told me that they were doing it, and I forget what they told me, but it wasn't it, Like, wasn't Wembley. And I was like asking their like prs, like is this true, but no answer and then we got the announcement like on that dynamite of Wembley Stadium, which I never would have suspected that they would do Wembley Stadium now, even more than Forbidden Door. This felt like a one off and they end up with like a massive attendance, like Wikipedia says seventy two hundred and sixty five. Will not get into like what the actual number is because there different people have different ideas with the ticket count, turnstile count. Will Osboy got a tattoo, maybe that wasn't correct, et cetera. But this event, for someone, for someone living on that side of the world, it seemed really massive and they did so well with the tickets they sold. But I think that, you know, it kind of doesn't surprise me because this was a big wrestling event in Wembley. WWE had done Clash at the Castle in this September before they did that line the same time as Brailau was WWE Clash in the Castle, but that was in Wales, that was in Cardiff, and I know what they were trying to do, but it wasn't the same, Like it wasn't the spirit of the SummerSlam at Wembley and this seemed closer to it. I did think that they did a terrible job of promoting it in the UK. I think that they're super lucky that people wanted a wrestling show and we're willing to travel. Their promotion of it was terrible, but their promotion is always always terrible, like a die on the way. People that are in charge of this are just bad, and Tony is just bad at making this big deal. But I thought this was like super bad. I thought they did not do a good job of capitalizing on their mind of people that were going to be in Wembley in different ways, you know, like having events to the fans and stuff like that. I think there might have been like one official event and then there were like other you know groups or whatever that put on events, and there was other wrestling shows, like there was a rev Po show that I was at, which I think was the night before and stuff. But they they didn't try and make like the wrestle Minia vibe, and they've never they've never been good at that. But they had like massive success with it, and I thought it would be one off. But I'm pretty sure that it's at the actual show that Tony announces they're coming back next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah they did. I think you're I think he announced it like either at the end of the beginning of the show, which, by the way, as a wrestling show, wasn't actually that great. I mean, you had Adam Cole and MF as best friend in the main event.
Speaker 3: Was I thought that was terrible and I watched I watched this from the press but at Wembley, which isn't the best place to watch the show, to be honest, and to see people like clapping and laughing, and I just felt like the prestige that you were trying to get through doing the show on Wembley and through getting that many people to have this like basically like comedy match as the main event was dreadful. And I remember they wrestled earlier in the night, like in tag team.
Speaker 2: Of course I had to defend those RJH tag team titles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you didn't even have your main champion, MGF coming out, you know, for his last match as the first time you've seen him on that show. But at this time, like the company was under this terrible his off the MJF Adam Cole stuff. Yeah, really, like the iceberg is now ripping its way through every floor of this ship.
Speaker 2: Right ironically, we're kind of recovering from the brolout thing. I think we kind of reached like an equilibrium, like everything was like okay leading into this show. Yes, the same could not be said after the show. Another thing we don't need to religate necessarily, but it's a kind of a thing that happened. This is a Seampunk's last appearance in AW.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I really I didn't enjoy the first all in Like, to be honest, I didn't enjoy being there. It had kind of like every element of an event that I don't like. And I'm not a big fan of stadiums either, So I just fully like there was a lot I didn't like about the show and about the structure of it and stuff like that. I think I was just having a really shitty time in life in general. Then like that week or something, it was like not grea ut for me personally. And I remember Samoa Joe and see him punk coming out for the for the first match, and I remember I don't know at what point, but I and I think this is what happened, but it might not exactly be what happened. Like Sean lost sat getting up and showing day of something and like everyone was talking. And then I saw on X that Punk had had a fight backstage, and my thought sitting there was I am watching his last match.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always forget that that happened. The altercation happened right before the match. In my head, it happened right after the match, but it happened. Punk goes out and wrestled Samoa Joe and then come it's.
Speaker 3: Crazy news is out there when he's wrestling as well, like it's it's really bad. But yeah, I remember just thinking like, okay, well I've seen I've seen his last match now, like if anything, I've seen in his last match, and that's it.
Speaker 2: Yes, And you were exactly right, and I agree with you. Aline was kind of like a disappointing show. It did good bias, It did almost two hundred thousand bias. It was a very popular show. Obviously is well attended, that's well known. You know. It did much worse was because they scheduled this so dumbly. Is that All Out is literally the next weekend in Chicago, of course, but the all the literal next weekend, and they like blew up everything. So like all Out, I didn't have like a world title match. It just had MJF and Adam Cole and this like it was the worst.
Speaker 3: It became like such a such a big problem that you know, there was a six six days or something in between the two shows. So I didn't I didn't go to that All Out obviously because I was just I just done, Like the Wembley thing.
Speaker 2: Great because you were in London a week earlier and were flying to Chicago for a less than show. That makes sense.
Speaker 3: The card was terrible.
Speaker 2: It was a great The main event was Orange Cassidy and John Moxley over the international title. Of course, your idea, what's going on there?
Speaker 1: You know that last segment you're just listening to and the next one that you're waiting to listen to. Those can be one second apart. With a VIP membership, you can unlock our commercial free versions of our shows pw torch dot com slash Go. VIP tells you how to do it. That's pw torch dot com slash go VIP options exist within the Apple Podcast app using your Apple account through Patreon, which by the way, you can sync up with Spotify or just about any iOS or Android app. With a full VIP membership, you can customize the feed for individual shows and clusters of shows and themes. Go to pw Torch dot com slash go vip for full details on all the options to listen commercial free and with upper tier options unlock our VIP exclusive podcasts run throughout the week every week.
Speaker 3: The problem here is this is another big example we get of Tony sticking to traditions because all out is what are you celebrating all that weekend? Is it libor Day?
Speaker 2: I believe that's Labor Day?
Speaker 3: Yes, so he's like, steadfast on that Labor Day in Chicago and double or nothing is what days out?
Speaker 2: Double or nothing is, Yeah, it's whatever I think Memorial Day weekend?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, steadfast on that too. Like for a long time, anyone would have told you if if you've just done like over seventy thousand or whatever in London, you don't need a pay per view the next week in.
Speaker 2: Chicago, absolutely, And you know what else you don't need to do Stephanie is add two more pay per views during the rest of the calendar year, when you've already had more pay per views. At that point, they'd already had four pay per views, and they added two more. They added Wrestle Dream, which is apparently a yearly one. That's another one. I wasn't sure that was going to be yearly, but it keeps happening.
Speaker 3: They add Wrestling Dream. That's a tribute to Antonio.
Speaker 2: Ok, right, yes, in twenty twenty three, when it was still a tribute to Antonio, it was like not mentioned last year at all.
Speaker 3: It was so funny. All I all I remember is I think it. I think it was JP from Grapple, like just making this joke about Antonio and Nochi on its deathbed, being like, you must do an event in Seattle too to honor me.
Speaker 2: That would at least be a good explanation, because right right, right now, we have no explanation.
Speaker 3: But I just thought like it was so so bizarre for him, like that, like Tony's kind of like speech and like Antonio and OK had a wrestled Dream, and he was like the way he tied it to an OK. It did the first year seem like he was just doing some kind of tribute to Anoki. I think Aoki's on like the first poster, like fucking dead in the sky or whatever. And but then like he kept he kept on with this too. But to me, just like full Gear will always be about hang them packet in Full Gear, like whistled Dream will always be the dying wish of Antonio and Nogi was that this pay per view.
Speaker 2: Exists, right, and like they haven't announced it for this year yet, but I assume it's happening October at some point. Yeah, and then they had their normal full Gear which is out. Well, do you want to talk about Full Gear in Los Angeles and why that was an awful show? You remember the where MJF Wrestle They match and got injured in the pre show, I believe, and then goes on to just handily beat Jay White to retain the title even though he's injured.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I actually watched some of this with my mom. It's a bigger Jay White fan than me. Geez, she's not she's not ar wrestling aficionado. And even she didn't believe what was happening. This was this was so bad. Someone needed to make a Citizen's Arrest at that show on. It was really really bad, but they were in They were in such as slump at this point, at the towards the end of Mjfsman after where all the comedy crap that they had gone through with Adam Cole and then Adam Cole at some point getting horrifically injured.
Speaker 2: Right stepping off a stage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and all of that that. It was that full gear was really bad.
Speaker 2: Yes, AW kind of in general is starting to get not great. During this period. You had like some highlights. You had Hangman and the Swerves feud was going starting at this point, yeah, and you had timeless Tony Storm kind of coming around. But otherwise there was not a lot going for AW at all, which makes you wonder why did they add another pay per view to close out the year World's End, which, by the way, there's no apostrophe. It's not the end of the world, it's not World's End. It's more than one world ending, apparently, multiple world's ending.
Speaker 3: I always wonder did he get the title from a bar in Camden and London. I can imagine that he would like that. He maybe saw it, you know, during one of his trips the first iteration of this show. Oh my god, this was okay. Firstly, this was too close to Christmas, right, this was the day before New Year's Eve? Yeah, no, horrible, And I just thought the timing was really bad. I felt, I don't know, like how because I know you guys have you know, Thanksgiving and stuff, so how much you really feel about Christmas? But I was certainly like I would not want to be traveling on December thirtieth, you know, for this show if I was a wrestler or a fan or whatever.
Speaker 2: In America, we a lot of us travel around Christmas, but not to go to a wrestling show to go be with our family. So we're not going to this, We're going everywhere else, and travel is crazy because of that, So you wouldn't want to go travel somewhere else.
Speaker 3: I think this show. To me, I remember this show really really badly. It was. It was marred by controversy with a member of the roster. So but that was the entire discourse the day of the pay per view and during the pay per view and after the pay per view, and you remember that, yes, which now made the pay per view like seem even worse than it was and we got the end of mjf's reign, which Samoa Joe, right, you know, so much love and respect for small I can't say that I was thrilled with him getting the title. I remember I think Ben I was pretty mad at me for my reaction to Samoa Joe winning the title, because he's a big Smoo Joe fan. But I just kind of meant it in like I understand why you put the belt on Joe, but at the same time he might be a bit past it. But yeah, this this pay per view to me was just not worth doing. And it ended like a year in which a w had It felt like kind of gone through some real lows, like yes, you did your show at Wembley Stadium, but everything else it felt like there was it just wasn't as great anymore. There was a lot of bad feeling. It's when we get you know, the Punk final blowout and everything that mars the Wembley show. It's this terrible MJF era of the Adam Cole stuff and all of that, and then to end on this dud of a pay per view at bad publicity was just not.
Speaker 2: Good for the record. If we're talking bias, which is important for putting out a pay per viewer putting a pay per view on to sell it good because after all in they start going down the toilet like the year before it was like one fifty one forty five averaging, and then all in they do one ninety and then all out only one hundred rest dream one hundred, like one twenty five for full gear, one thirty five for this World's in show. Like that's an uptick. That's still much less than the year before. It's like average. They do jump back up, though it is technically the next year when they do Revolution in Greensboro, North Carolina, which they had the benefit of being Sting's retirement. I think that really helped pump that up, although I do remember that being a good, good show, like it was kind of I think people were like, oh aw, so back baby. They they ended up not being so bad, but people thought.
Speaker 3: That this got the opposite vibe to World End, to World End because Sting is loved by everyone, so him getting this big send off what he deserved. The icon. It was beautiful, and you can't say that they mishandled Sting. You can't say they didn't book Sting well or anything like that like they did. Sting is probably one of their greatest successes. If we're talking about like Hangman Adam Paige and his arc up until he wins I had lived for the first time being one of the greatest stories they ever told. This one of the other ones is staying from when he debuts in the company till he leaves at Revolution. Wonderful scenes and my god, they really need it, a rebound like that.
Speaker 2: After they really needed it, and they did luckily get it. And we mentioned several shows we were at. I purchased a ticket for this show because I'm in South Carolina, which traveling from South Carolina North Carolina is not that complicated. I ended up not going for I don't remember why. I just didn't go, but I sold my ticket for like double what I paid for it, so I got that going for me. Oh, but after I saw it, I'm like, oh, she just went because it looked like it would have been awesome to be at.
Speaker 3: But yeah, after the success of Revolution, it's time to add another paper.
Speaker 2: You gotta right. So Revolution kicks off twenty twenty four on a high note, and Tony just like more pay per views please, so we get dynasty, which you know, is that named after the like the eighties soap for a kind of show that we had, or what is I know what a dynasty is? There a was there an actual thing behind this naming.
Speaker 3: There's not a consensus as well on the pronunciation dynasty or dynasty.
Speaker 2: Well people say it, well, the people say dynasty are incorrect. But yes, I'm sure people say it incorrectly all the time.
Speaker 3: I went to this show.
Speaker 2: Oh you were, because you're like, it's the first ever. This has got to be a great show. I'm going to go to Saint Louis, Missouri. At least it's a new city for.
Speaker 3: Him, it is. It's a new city for me too. Okay, I had not been to Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: Oh did you see the big arch thing? That's that's what Saint Louis has.
Speaker 3: Cool, Yes I did. Wasn't a fun of Saint Louis or the show of Saint Louis. But I have to preface a lot of things I say when I'm talking about American cities that aren't like New York and Chicago. Right, Americans do not walk. They do not So for me who walks everywhere, because I don't know, or you.
Speaker 2: Can just walk around Saint Louis. Are you insane? You will get murdered.
Speaker 3: So I think it took me about sixty minutes of walking around in Saint Louis at nighttime. At nighttime, you buy a packet of cigarettes.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, there's things work't risk in your life, for I suppose.
Speaker 3: And I could only end up doing this at like a garage where they just had the window open, you know, and anyway. But when you're you know, like for me, and it's not like I don't live in London anymore, you know. I live in in Belfast, a relatively small town in Ireland, but things like you can you can walk to things here, so I don't like need a car. But sometimes I find myself in American cities and it's so far to find, you know, like a shop or a something. I find this in Florida too, like Florida's I am we will not walk in Florida. So that was my problem with with Saint Louis. But it seemed nice other than that. But I actually walked from my hotel to the to the show, and that walked took about an hour or so, but I don't remember much about this show at all. To be honest, I don't think it was worth going to Oh Freak. It had the lost Brave versus Brian on it.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes it had that. And this is also where Swerve wins his first world title, which was a good moment. I remember I watched the show. I thought it was good, like as a show to watch on TV.
Speaker 3: Coming back to me, Actually, I think it was a really good show. But this is probably when I started to realize something that I should have realized two years prior. Don't go to shows.
Speaker 2: That's fair. I mean, like I said, I watched on TV. It was a very enjoyable show.
Speaker 3: I think it is much better to watch Westley's shows in the confident of your own home. And I think, especially if you don't live near the place that's happening, it's best like not to go. So I don't know why I decided to go to Dynasty, like, I have absolutely no idea, you know what, I do know why. I was living in Toronto, so that was way easier than getting from Ireland.
Speaker 2: That's slightly less insane. It's still crazy to go to Saint Louis from Toronto to see Dynasty, though, I mean, but it's a new pay per view. You never know it might be Aw's WrestleMania someday, because yeah, damn yeah it wasn't. Although guess what it stuck around because we had one last year, and we had one, we had one this year. There was a Dynasty this year, is that right? Yeah? Oh, my notes, it happened that I barely remember. Here's something that happens as we start getting more and more pay per views, they all kind of start blurring.
Speaker 3: Together, really do, because well, like for a start, I wasn't even remembering this stuff that happened at Dynasty one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight nine.
Speaker 2: We're on nine now, yep, yeah, Dynasty. We get night.
Speaker 3: So only through looking at the list are the details of my life coming back to me. So I don't go to Forbidden Door in New York. I'm pretty sure that I don't, or should you? I go to All In because that is when I'm back from Toronto. So I go to All In at Wembley. Didn't like it.
Speaker 2: Either, really, I think it was a better show, but again I watched on TV and less of the very annoying stuff we got on the last year's Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was a better show, but I still didn't like the experience of watching wrestling in Wembley. I still didn't like all that, and I really did not like Wembley until I the next year went to Seaguns and Moses and Wembley and that cured me of my Wembley driver and I vowed to never ever ever go to another wrestling show in Wembley. All right, well into this year is all in because I made a promise to Axelos that I would never go to wrestling show and Rambley.
Speaker 5: On Tuesday nights, the conversation doesn't stop when nxtnds, it's just getting started. I'm Nate Lindberg, and alongside my co host Kelly Wells, we bring you PWT Talks NXT. We go live on the pw Torch YouTube channel about fifteen minutes after the show to break down matches, storylines, and surprises, and we take your questions and comments from the live chat. Miss us live. But you still want to be part of the show, Send your thoughts to PW Torch nxdatgmail dot com and catch the replay on YouTube or on the PW Torch Daily cast feed. Just search PW Torch on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you listen, and of course you can always stream the latest shows at PW torch dot com.
Speaker 2: All right, well you ruined my sign off question whether or not you're going to all End this year.
Speaker 3: But okay, I'm sorry about that. I'm not. I'm not. Guys, all Out happened.
Speaker 2: Now here's what they did. They gave it an extra week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's nice.
Speaker 2: Still, ma'am.
Speaker 3: I didn't go to that. I think it's like, is this the end of me going to things? It could very well be. I think this was it.
Speaker 2: Maybe, yeah, because it's Chicago and then they are in some like Florida, New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Oh you know what I did go to all Out?
Speaker 2: It was in Chicago. Of course you did. We should have known.
Speaker 3: I went to Chicago with my mother at the beginning of September, and then the last day of my trip, I went to all Out and my mom went home. But I was going to Toronto, so we weren't going to same places. And anyway, I cannot remember the paper of you at all. All I remember is I was staying at a hotel where some kind of convention was happening. And Eric Bischoff was sitting in the bar and all the wrestling fans were asking questions. And then the next morning at breakfast, I saw him take more than his first shair. I would say, of the little milks that you get or little creams, whatever they.
Speaker 2: So he was stealing a bunch of coffee creamers.
Speaker 3: Then I didn't say stealing.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean they're free, you can take as many as you want. So I mean I.
Speaker 3: Just remember looking at him going like, this is.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's a weird, surreal moment. To be fair, that show had two very mivorable to me things. You had Hangman and Swerve and a lights out cage match, which I hated because I can't stand needles. Needles really give me the X. So yeah, and this is also Moxley puts a plastic bag over Danielson's head Birth Death Writers and kind of ruins the company for the next year and a half or so.
Speaker 3: I do have something to say about this, and this is such, this is such an annoying like inside Baseball media, Parson point this. I was just done with the press experience after all out because because I think that Tony had always because these these bloody pressers that he does that are streamed on YouTube and everything. They they've always been so difficult and they've never been good unless mad at one of them, because Tony has this thing where one like he wants to tell you that he's more open and honest than the competition, right, and in many ways he is, but he still does so much of these in kfab that they are a waste of time for every every journalist that goes there. And then and the numbers of assay media people going to a w pay per views like dropped dramatically, like they they they had a drop in quality and then they had a full drop. Now I don't know where they are now, but I think most of the people that valued their time realized that these were not valued like good for their time wasn't worth the expense of coming to the show. They were all like so bad, So much of it isn't Tony. I think there's definitely a part of Tony Khan's personality where he wants to be the center of attention or he wouldn't be sitting out there like he wouldn't be because he's unnecessary. But this pay per view, I'm pretty sure it was this one. Tony did not appear at the presser due to the events that had happened on the show. He was like this story they told was like you know whoa that was? That was so bad? I can't I'm dealing with, you know, the fact that Brian was nearly dead or something like whatever.
Speaker 2: Oh, so they really sell it, like we're talking neck bracet like football show.
Speaker 3: The next day, they're really selling it. You've got John Moxley's wife, Renee doing this posting job that she was given because the kind of pr staff were like, Renee gets this hosting job after the fiasco at World's End involving Tony and the questions being asked of him at that first World's End, Right, So after that, Renee is given a hosting job, but she happens to be married to man who is now like has done an.
Speaker 2: Attempt at murder, right, And they never they never addressed that to today, like it's part of storyline. But she never like addresses the horrible things he's constantly doing on TV for the next year a half.
Speaker 3: It's so stupid. They never should have allowed them to be married on stream a screen because it never works. It makes you wonder like what he's like as a character at home. I mean in the case of like she's just terrified. You know, she's married to this madman. So you get Tony not appearing, and I remember speaking to one person at the show and I'll just I'll not name them, but them saying like like how much they spent coming there and everything, and like for Tony to just say he's not doing the presser, I'm pretty sure the real reason he didn't do it was he had to fly to the UK for like a football the next day, and it was just all so shitty, and I think at that point I was just like, you know, this might be my last draw with all of it, with like trying to cover aw and all that other stuff, because it was just it has just gotten too bad. And like that was just really crappy.
Speaker 2: And for those keeping track, buys are now we're down into like one hundred and five or one hundred and five and one hundred and ten for the rest of the years. So but not only is Creative kind of going downhill and the buys are going down, but yeah, things are this is where things start swinging downward unfortunately. Yeah, but they stick with nine pay per views for the year.
Speaker 3: Anyways, Yeah, we I mean we end up we end up finishing the year with Wrestle Dream again in the same kind of area. Am I right, isn't it in this time?
Speaker 2: Is that it's basically Seattle? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, I mean he.
Speaker 2: Loved Seattle apparently. I just don't know.
Speaker 3: It's so adamant about him having to be honored in Seattle. Full Gear they do in New York, New Jersey, at a venue that they had done for Full Gear, either the year before or two years before, because I have been to that venue to see a full Gear.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was twenty twenty two where they had Full Gear there where they had twelve thousand attendance twenty twenty four. I believe it is one we're talking about where they have ten thousands. We're down like two thousand, which is actually not as bad as I would have guessed, but they still have This is crazy because like aew, like we're talking kind of on a downswing. Their numbers are down, they still have like a reputation of still delivering good pay per view, especially pay per view matches.
Speaker 3: I mean, these shows are not bad bad bad bad shows. They can be bad in the context of an aw show. But they always do have, you know, good remutation, and they all their by rates are always pretty good.
Speaker 2: Right, even the bad ones are down like a hundred, they're never under one hundred thousand. And if you figure fifty dollars times one hundred thousand, I'm not a mathematician, but that's like what five million dollars. Yeah, that's not bad. That's not a bad turnaround. Yeah. So of course they end this year with World's End. That's how we end the shows now, even closer to Christmas. I'm twenty eighth this year, like three days after Christmas in Florida. I don't remember any of this. I looked at I look it up. I'm like, okay, this is where o'catta wins the Continental Classic. Not a lot going on there.
Speaker 3: No, So we don't get any additions in twenty twenty five, correct.
Speaker 2: We don't. We remain at nine.
Speaker 3: Yes, and we don't get the all in in London. We get it in Texas.
Speaker 2: That is correct.
Speaker 3: And I did not go to a single wrestling show that year, the first since twenty twenty one. They'd finally broken me and I'd stop. So I don't think I have a great deal to say about twenty twenty five in the year other than we are just looking at a fuller peop of UCAP calendar has now been established, right and even.
Speaker 2: Though a lot of it still runs together, like the year starts with Revolution, which is still a good show. That's where you have the Osprey and Fletcher cage match and Tony Storm and Ryan May's Hollywood ending, which we've talked about it being insane that that was not the main event, but that was I remember that made a good Revolution and then yeah, a lot of these really start to run together, like once we get the twenty twenty five like all the way through. So yeah, Forbidden Door, so you you didn't go to anything. I haven't been any of these. For mid Door was in London in August last year. I assume you didn't go to that. No, not a lot of this is kind of where we landed on our crossover episode, like Forbidden Door unnecessary completely at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was a novelty to doing it in London, but I guess that was just to give the UK something. But like they do it in London, which is the city where they've had the all ans could you have done that in Manchester for the people from the north of the country or Scotland or Wales, or you could have jumped over the water and done it somewhere in Europe like Ireland where I live, or you could have gone to mainland Europe, like France or something. But like, let's just do it in London. Why not?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, they they loved London apparently. I guess they were so mad that they did Ireland. They did all In in Arlington, Texas, that they had to go back to London immediately. All In for the record in twenty twenty five is where Hangman Bey wins the title from Moxley last year, and this is this does really good numbers and then like our by rates start swinging back up from the one tens and one to fifteens to like one twenty All out in Toronto where they actually skipped Chicago last year actually Thered one hundred and thirty seven. And then Wrestle Dream, which is in Saint Louis, so they go back to Saint Louis does one hundred and twenty. So in general last year numbers started going back up right after Moxley finally lost the title. And the death writers were kind of no longer running the show. I don't think that's a concidence. I think that is.
Speaker 3: A creative It's not it's not the show to go into that, but the entire arc of evil Indestructible Moxley with the title and a briefcase No, not for me, but you know.
Speaker 2: I mean that is still going on technically.
Speaker 3: I that man, really I am.
Speaker 2: I like mox I was a big fan. I was excited when he started AW but he is wearing on me at this point.
Speaker 3: I have gone right off him, to be honest, like John Hogan, he is like it's too much. It's too much, and I don't know. I would love to know. I would love to know more about him because I have I have a lot of thoughts. But it feels like that Tony, I know that he's kind of like the one guy that could just be like, f this, I'm going home. So he just lets him do whatever.
Speaker 2: That seems to be exactly how they have their creative around Moxley setup is just yet do whatever you want. Try to stay away from the world title. Now, although we're going into all End this year with Omega and Osprey and Moxley is still a giant part of it.
Speaker 3: Well, shall we get Intoto this year, because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can make it to a modern day, because god, we thought nine was rough.
Speaker 3: So what happens this year? What do they add this year?
Speaker 2: Well? See this year, Stephanie, they add Redemption and that is a news show that they put on in Canada. And the thing with Redemption is, first of all, even though dynasty or dynasty and like some of the names are question but like Redemption is like apropos of nothing. It has nothing to do with anything and sounds like six other things. It sounds like Revolution, which was a couple of months ago, and like I think people like even like out on with Way and he kept calling it something else like retribution or something like it's not a good name for a pay per view and does it relate to anything?
Speaker 3: Can I just jump in there?
Speaker 2: Yes? Please?
Speaker 3: That I what I'm what I'm doing in my free time instead of writing about or talking about wrestling, or attending wrestling or anything like, this is writing writing a novel and it's not about wrestling, but involves wrestling. And while doing this I had to think of event names and Redemption is so close to the name to names that I came up with, but I was doing like just one word things that it makes me worry that Tony's gonna think of some names that I and I'm not going to say how I got the names that I thought of, but like Redemption, honestly, to me, feels like a show that w W should have had, should have after WrestleMania. It's very like backlash, right right, That's what it feels like before the big show instead of after.
Speaker 2: It seemed, and a lot of people have speculated that it was set up to be Kenny Omega's Redemption coming back from his doubt and winning the title, except for they moved that match up two weeks and he wins the title on Dynamite, thereby making this show completely It was arguably already unnecessary, but without the Omega and MJF to like hold it down, it was like maybe the most unnecessary pay per view ever save for maybe a Forbidden Door, which are also irrelevant, but like, well, you didn't order it. I didn't order it, that's too. Forbidden Door and Redemption are the only two of this year's pay per views that I have not watched in the history of AAW.
Speaker 3: I think that now that we have the complete scope of all the AW pay per views and we've built, we've built on the year to year, and we've finally landed on Redemption, the most recent edition that let's hope is a lot edition, but at least for our conversation, it is. I think we can nicely segue this into talking about show length and matches, because I think that that is a good conversation to have when you look at a show like Redemption, because to me, this felt like an extremely pointless show. And that is to say that all the matches were bad. They were not. But this could have been a dynamite. This all a dynamite.
Speaker 2: It's the equivalent of this meeting could have been an email like this could have just been a dynamite. It would have been a good dynamite.
Speaker 3: And I don't want to be constantly saying things that I don't like that Tony Kann does because it feels like I have a personal vendata against him, but it just I don't. It's just he's the owner, so the buck has to stop with him. But the thing that he says and acts like that annoys me the most. Other than his treatment of women is when he calls his pay per views value for money because they're so long, and he has always stuck by this idea of that his pay per views, they give you so much value for money. I find that so offensive, Like that is just like a really rich person's idea of like we will take absolute slop as long as we get lots of it, so it's not a waste of our money because we're so per It's like all these pay per views, I'm pretty sure like the same prize. But it's like like last week I went to see The Odyssey in the cinema. Right now, if I go next week to see some like ninety minute loalm com, I'm not going to be there going, hey man, I want a refund because the film I saw last week was three hours and I've been ripped off, you know, like that's not how people feel. Like the pay per views are our pay per views and giving you over five hours of it instead of like the standard three, which it should be. Right, it's too much, and it makes and those matches, each of those matches were so long, like they were all like hit in like sixteen eighteen.
Speaker 6: Minutes, right, unnecessarily long twenty five of TOMASO and uh also, I know we just said that wasn't a bad show, that was an awful match, that was horrible.
Speaker 2: I would have been so mad if I paid money and watched that for twenty five minutes straight, I would have probably turned the show off and just went the bit.
Speaker 1: Before pushing play on the way Keller Pro Wrestling post shows, check out pw torch dot com and our TV review section and skim through a full rundown of the TV show if you didn't see it. That's your way to get an overview of what happened before you dive into our in depth analysis of the key happenings on the show. That's pw torch dot com. You're home for live TV coverage every Monday, Wednesday and Friday with my TV reports, and also check out our NXT and Impact coverage on Tuesdays and Thursdays, our Collision reports on Saturday nights, and of course our live pay per view and PLEE coverage on weekends, all waiting for you at pw torch dot com.
Speaker 3: But I think that when you say that the shows are too long, like you'll always have people coming back at you saying like no, like, no, they're not and they believe in the Tony Kahn value for moneything. I truly do not believe that anyone that says they're not too long believes that in their heart.
Speaker 2: I really think it's some of the repeat of like aw fantoxic positivity stuff.
Speaker 3: It's and when you're not watching them live, like you know, so I wasn't going to stay up and watch this because I'm over here, so like Beno is in Vietnam right, so he's not watching them live. And the next morning he messaged me and was like, nothing worse than looking at the runtime ahead of you when you love on MIAW after not having watched it live. And I agree, like it's so daunting as well. It's like picking up a massive book that you know you have to read, like a really one. And in saying that, like I mean, I am prone to buy in a lot of books, and usually in my local bookstart store they are all nine ninety nine, no matter how long they are. But Tony just thinks that like per people like us can't deal with that, you.
Speaker 2: Know, it is insane, and also like you know, the reason I haven't been to see the honesty is because it's three hours, and I don't want to sit in there in a theater for three hours, just like I don't want to sit and watch a wrestling pay per view for five hours.
Speaker 3: And what's assuring test like it really is.
Speaker 2: Well, especially in the theater, Like I have to go to the bathroom at some point. It's just that's how the body works. And I'm getting older. But also, like Tony, they started it doesn't matter because you weren't watching it alive, but they started this pay per view an hour earlier, and I'm like, at first, I'm like, oh, that's great, I can get the bet. And I'm like, no, oh my god, I know what they're gonna do. They're gonna think they have an extra hour to screw around with, and damn if, isn't that exactly what they did. And that's what Tony actually said. He said it out in the posto thing. He's like, oh, yeah, we started an hour early so I can make sure I would get out by midnight. I'm like, you weren't sure you were gonna get out by midnight if you started to eat. That's a problem.
Speaker 3: That is an insane And when you look like so for me going to see the Odyssey, just like when I went to see the first Wicked film two. I was actually proud of myself when I left for sitting through it and actually just watching it, right. And I enjoyed both of those movies immensely, but I was quite daunted by the three hours you know before I went to see them. So when I saw them both, and I was like, whoa, I you know, I sat there for three hours because I am a bit like I like to get up up and down, you know, as you know, right, But like I really think that like for all his you know, saying that it's value for money on whatever, he he stole people's money this month like he did because that pay per view was unnecessary and people paid for that. Now is that not just being greedy?
Speaker 2: Right? That's not value for money. That's like, like you said, it's like a really bad buffet. It's like, but you have so much of it, like but no, it's no good. Like a lot of something you don't want is not value. It's just a lot of some it's just too much. And I don't know if he's ever like every single like review of that show, like weighed on the post show roundtable. Everybody's just like this is too long. That is the first thing everybody says about every aw paper you after it. And I agree with you that anyone who doesn't think it's too long is either disingenuous or just loves wrestling more than I could ever imagine in my entire life.
Speaker 3: But Tony has He has no concept of the idea of one of off experiences or rare experiences or something like that. And I think with the show's being too long, you know, that's probably fine if you're a billionaire and you have like every convenience to you, you know, like like you know, like anything like that. And he doesn't understand if you take something like, for example, when Taylor Swift did the Eras Tour and her shows on the Ears Tour were like over three hours long, and that's a really long time for a concert, but no one complained about that because that was a one time.
Speaker 2: Thing, right, That's like a once in a lifetime experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you go to that and you know it's going to be really long, and you're prepared for it and you're getting everything. So the idea was like total servicing of the paying fans. Who spent a lot of money and they got that. If that was every month you were expected to go through that, I think by the end by a couple of months, people for like, please, no, we don't need it for so long. But Tony wouldn't have a concept of that, because when you're someone like Tony Kan, if you wanted to go to like twenty ears tour shows, you could right never have the and if you want it to go to one for like half an hour, go for a walk around, then buy another ticket to get back in like you could. But it's like he probably has no like genuine concept of Christmas or birthdays, like he celebrates them, but he doesn't have the concept like you or I would have of getting gifts and it being like rare. Everything has to be like, let's do it again, Let's do.
Speaker 6: It again, let's.
Speaker 3: Do it again, let's do the same. Please, let's recreate the whole thing again. Oh my god, and let's make.
Speaker 2: It so long, right. He acts like he respects your money, but he doesn't really, and he definitely does not respect your time.
Speaker 3: He does not respect your time. I think it might be too far to say he doesn't respect you, because I know he's not, and he's not like an an evil billionaire. Like he's an evil billion in the sense of that there's no ethical billionaire like at all, and there's no way you can be that and it's just wrong to be that. Right, But he's not like an Elon Musk figure. But at the same time, he's definitely slightly looking down on us, even if it's subconsciously by thinking that we just want to be like fed and fed as much candy as possible.
Speaker 2: Right, Right, he's not an evil billionaire, but he's like a clueless billionaire that doesn't understand the world. Here's what I'll say, though, as dante as it can be, to look at the runtime of some of these, you know it's going to be packed full of mostly good matches. Like if I see a four hour runtime on a WWE pay per view and I'm trying to catch up on guess what, It's going to take me about an hour and a half to watch that whole damn thing. Tops. Yeah, that's and I don't even have to pass forward through matches, but just going through the ads, you're good, You'll be caught up immediately. So I will give him. I'll give aw that's what you can expect that of an AW pay per view is too many matches that go too long, but generally they are all high quality. Some of them are completely unnecessary, sure, but there's a reason, like we said this going into it, like they still have a reputation of like they always deliver on pay per view. They always the wrestlers always bring it, even when the storylines going into them are bad or uninspired, like even this a redemption which was a garbage waste paper view, like most of the matches were still quite good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing, Like, that's why they are able to persuade people to buy the pay per views even when attendance is done. AW does have like the best assembled roster, but there's just too many all this roster, Like they probably have the best roster. Ever, if you got rid of like half of them, like you really need to get rid of a lot of people, and those the pay per views, they would be there's some of them that are absolute all timers, but they'd have more chance of more feeling like that if there was least matches, because they have rewatchability today. I started rewatching Unforgiven nineteen ninety eight for a guest spot I'm doing on the Beno on Halmflet podcast, And I watched the VHS version, and my god, I had to fix this VHS because it like I've had it for like twenty years.
Speaker 2: More than I had to like mess with the tracking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I just had this thought of, like how many times I've watched this show or last time we spoke, I was talking about Sumwher Slam ninety eight, right, And I just can't imagine, especially the way this world is that like any any kid, any version of me that exists now popping in their AW Redemption six hour, loading that one up and watching it on a constant the way that you could do with those three hour or just under three hour Classic Attitude ARA pay per views.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's the thing, Like I it, We're seven years in. I've watched all but the last two pay per views live. I have never once gone back and watched an entire pay per view. I've popped back to watch a match here and there, but I've never like sat through another AW pay per view for a second time. What would be the point of that, I know, because they don't have I don't know, they don't have like a lot of big moments, Like we're mostly talking about big matches, right, really good matches, not even big matches, but they don't have a lot of those like big like memorable moments to stick in your mind. The thing they do get a light or they try to, is they tried to have they try to do the big debuts. So you had like the Brian and Danielson debuts. You remember when they advertised beforehand the mystery signing and it was Christian. That was kind of a flop of a debut. But the concept, it seems like Tony really likes to have his debuts and big returns. Also another kind of thing about aw pay per view. But gosh, I'm trying to think, do they have any of those big returns at Redemption or Big?
Speaker 3: No? And maybe they are switching to doing stuff like that on TV now to help the TV readings, But they did not. They did not at Redemption. Was it the pay per view before that? The j White return? Because he did he wrestled on Redemption, but did he return at the previous pay per view?
Speaker 2: Yeah? If I could, and I don't know if you can keep it up, but it has not been great use of Jye. It's about what you expect.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately it never is. Tony will never understand the greatness.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, he thinks putting him at a feud with other former Bullet Club guys is the ticket. That's it. Everybody love Bullet Club and they want to see old Bullet Club against old Bullet Club and that's what they get. And now they don't know what to do with Jy. It's he is like maybe the worst used wrestler in any major company.
Speaker 3: Well, he had a terrible match of Redemption.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, that's a bad, bad, bad match, which is crazy because him and Juice have had very good tag matches before.
Speaker 3: He was in the ring with pretty much his real life best friends, you know, Finley being one of his genuine like best friends in life and obviously ju Since that's true, and it really didn't go well. The gimmick of it, the concept of it seemed quite ridiculous. With the way the match went. It wasn't didn't need to have it. They didn't. They didn't do any blood or extreme violence. And then later in the night another match went way extreme on the violence, yes, and it just felt like the odds respective against him. He also nearly died taking a bump too, because.
Speaker 2: Well he has not been on TV since, so hopefully he's not actually out again, but he's been off TV.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Hey everyone, long time PW George commis Sean Radikin here to let you know. I've rebamped and renewed the Ratticant Worldwide podcast for twenty twenty six, a weekly VIP exclusive. Every week, I break down four five of the biggest trending topics in pro wrestling. I also present my analysis, providing insight that helps you understand the story better or see it another way. Then maybe is the controversial takeout there? Then I bring on a special guest for the second half of the podcast. Sometimes it's a wrestler or someone else who works in the business. Other times it's a guest analyst who brings their specialized point of view out a particular key topic in the news. Recent guests have included Bronson Reid from WWE and PCO. One of my areas of specialty is the Japan wrestling scene, so I often cover a big topic from Japan with PW Torch his own, Alan Farrell, Kelly Wells, and Chris Lansdell. I don't just cover the news. I don't just riff on the news or give a standard hot take. I'll bring my decades of studying this industry and talking one on one with dozens of wrestling promoters to each week's show, so you understand not just what's happening, but the context of why get ahead of the news, get ahead of the pack with Radking worldwide only at PW Torch VIP.
Speaker 3: And I guess some people were saying that that's that's the worst aw pay per view match ever. I don't think it was. I know what I think was, do you is there a match that stands out for you it's the worst ever?
Speaker 2: Well, because we're talking recent memory, the very bloody match that came shortly after this on Redemption, the Tomaso Jericho Circus of Blood and power Tools was I genuinely hated it. Also, it was way too long. It's so bad. I watched it afterwards and I fast forward through Chucksman. I still hated it.
Speaker 3: I like some people did like.
Speaker 2: That much that killed I don't understand.
Speaker 3: I honestly think it's people liking the weapon spots or like thinking their innovative and then also being like whoa really old, dudet did.
Speaker 2: You see Jericho's face painting looks so awesome. It's not at all like a clown.
Speaker 3: To me, it's like it's so bad and it's so lame. And then you hear certain people be like, well, this was a really good like spoke smoking mirrors match, smoking mirrors. You should not need smoke and mirrors, right, you should not need that. I could handle smoke and mirrors when Sting was doing like a couple of matches a year and he was Sting, but like this this thing. But also, you can't tell me that taking extremely violent spots like this and pushing it more and more is not like a mid life crisis type deal going on or three quarter life crisis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what if you need that much smoke and that much mirrors, what you actually need is retirement. With all the respect senor Jericho.
Speaker 3: I think the worst match in AW pay perview history is I forget what show it was, but it was the aforementioned. It was Jericho versus Adam Cole. Do you remember this match?
Speaker 2: I remember there being very very bad Jericho and Cole. Matt. I don't remember where it was, sure it.
Speaker 3: Was at a double or nothing pretty sure it took place in Vegas. I remember thinking that, I'm honest to God, and I'm not saying they were, because I'm sure they were not. I honest to God, thought they were drunk at the time watching this match because there were so many like misspots fumbling. They were like when two drunks try and fight and they're just hugging each other and falling over. There was something about this match that was so bizarrely bad, and I believe that it got a pretty high rating from Dave, but like higher than women's matches, and I think it got like higher than it might have been like a Jade Cargo match. This might have been where like Jade Cargo had a match and then she immediately lost her title to Christatlander. And I'm pretty sure that this match was rated like higher than like that whole thing. And I was just like, because obviously, I'm not saying like Jad was not the best wrestler, right, but she's going to do like an eight to ten minute thing that is far less offensive than what we saw of these men fall over. And that was when I stopped, like, not even I stopped reading any kind of like star rating type thing, not even to disagree with them, and like, I just stopped completely because that specific match was so bad that it should have been ripped to absolute shreds by anyone objectively trying to talk about pro wrestling. That was I think objectively a wholerend as much with two people who I don't know what was wrong with them, but there was something going on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's probably some stuff there for a worser, better match rating version. Just where we're at with that, it's spoiler alert. It's so much worse it used to serve a I have no idea what the point of these are now, or they're out of control and they mean almost nothing.
Speaker 3: I heard some of Meltzer's Redemption mannings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they should have been mostly like threes and forest tops.
Speaker 3: Some of this stuff, Like my god, I want to know what he's smoking. Yeah, I forget even what point we want, but look, if we won the length point, they're too long, but redemption, yeah, that did not need to exist.
Speaker 2: Wholly unnecessary. Yeah, I mean we were just.
Speaker 3: Kind of talking about about how they were. Actually they are good shows, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: They even the bad ones, like even the poorly built in irrelevant ones usually still deliver solid matches because they always they just always do. That's just kind of like their reputation at this point, which is good for them. That works for them. That's why their by rates even when the product is cold, usually high. Even when they can barely get like three thousand people, and for a Dynamite they're still doing like ten thousand at the pay per view right after, so.
Speaker 3: Really interesting thing that's kind of hard to explain, but they're definitely done with Dynamite attendance and they downscaled that as well as far as venues go. They do do well with pay per view attendants. But they do keep their prices really really reasonable, especially compared to WWE, who were like out of control with the pricing in the For people in the UK on Blue Light, you can get all in tickets for one pound fifty right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw that as a kind of gotcha article about how aw's failing will be on business next week, but yeah, I did see that.
Speaker 3: Well, like the second all in that I went to, Beno bought I think he bought three tickets and they were like two pounds each. So I went to the media bit, I got some snacks, I got some more snacks, and then I joined him and watched it from like from a normal seat maybe that he had bought ones like really far back, and he got moved forward with his with me and his imaginary friend that he'd bought another ticket for. So we had a great time on the cheap tickets. You know, but look cheap tickets. It is a little bit of a you know, you are playing a little bit of a trick there in order to bring up the numbers. But I'd rather people get into shows for one pounds fifty then pay the WWE prices that when WWE came to my city of Belfast earlier this year, those prices were in seeing it was a couple hundred per ticket and I would never pay that to see WWE, WWE, WAW. And I know that when I was a child and when they would come to Belfast and it was such a rare, big deal. I think it only happened twice in my childhood. There's no way like my family could have bought you know, tickets that were it's crazy. So it's really bad. So at least, yeah, they do you keep the pricing low on the tickets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, last week we were talking about wrestling, I guess. But anyway, I considered going to Summer Slam this year, which is tonight and tomorrow night, and I looked at tickets, and I eventually determined it would be cheaper for me in American to fly to London and go to All in just whole cloth to do that than to try to go to SummerSlam, which is like a two hour plane flight from where I'm at, which is insane.
Speaker 3: WWE events now for SummerSlam whatever are more expensive than like when I was going to America from multiple aw pay per views. Obviously, some people were like, oh my god, how do you afford that? Like you can get really cheap flights to America, like I'm talking like two hundred pounds or something if you're smart about it. I think that tickets for SummerSlam and the most recent events, especially Vesmenia, all of those things are way more than I would have ever paid to fly to America, let alone buy a ticket for an event.
Speaker 2: And then also it's a two night Summer Slam, so you're buying tickets twice, and then you also have to you have to stay at least one of those nights to go to both of them. It's I'm sure you saw that they've dropped tickets all the way down to like twenty five dollars at this point for Summer Slam because they were doing so badly. It'll be interesting to see how they end up turning it up. But it was not going well, and mostly I think well product is worse, but also like ticket prices, I think were a big big part of that. So yeah, AW continues to do pretty well on pay per view live because they got cheap tickets and they have a reputation for over delivering.
Speaker 3: Yes, they over deliver in both a good way and a bad way.
Speaker 2: We can say, right, that's a double edged sword, but they definitely over deliver. So Stephanie, how do we feel about them being at ten per year? And do we still consider double or nothing, Revolution, full Gear and all Out to be the Big four? I mean, I assume all In has to replace one of those.
Speaker 3: I think tens too many. I think this sweet spot would be five or six.
Speaker 2: That sounds right, like, I think they can do six, like one every two months. That's perfectly fine, plenty of time to build up a mat. Do you remember when they used to have four and they would still wait till like two weeks before the pay per view to start putting the card together, like it would be like three weeks out you had no idea what was on the pay per view.
Speaker 3: I think that Tony's booking strengths do not like they're not in the planning.
Speaker 2: They are not.
Speaker 3: They're really not. And I actually think he would find it easier if they cut down to six. And I think that there's no reason for there to be one a month, which is what we're clearly heading towards. I mean, that's just a WWE isn't and even that WWE was not always on, you know, one a month, Like, uh, there's no reason for it, and I don't think it suits aw And when you add to this his obsession with long shows and long matches, if you were down to five or six, people would take that a lot better. But if you're going to get to the point where every month, on top of Dynamite and Collision and the Ring of Honor that no one watches, if you're then going to shove in a six hour pay per view like it's a lot, and it makes me think, like no, wonder people don't get interested anymore because the time investment you need to give. It is is God that kind of time.
Speaker 1: iPhone users, if you're listening to us on the Native podcast app on your iPhone, you can unlock our commercial free versions of our free shows. By searching pw Torch in Apple Podcasts. You'll see a charcoal grade logo that says PW Torch VIP on it. Click on that, there's some free samples of VIP shows and you can unlock the entire VIP lineup, which includes VIP exclusives plus commercial free versions of the free shows, by searching PW Torch in Apple Podcasts and clicking on the PW Torch VIP logo and then activate your three day free and after that you can become a VIP member using your Apple account. It's that easy. Enjoy a streamline listening experience to our free shows and unlock all the VIP exclusives, including our post pay per view roundtables, the Wade Keller news bulletins, Everything with Rich and Wade, the Fix that I host with Todd Martin, and a variety of other VIP exclusives. Just search PW Torch in your Apple podcast app.
Speaker 2: And I agree with you and also like from like WrestleMania. You used to put up with like a five hour WrestleMania because it only happened once a year. I mean I would I would take a five hour wrestle Media in SummerSlam over in the two night version now. But yeah, I think you kind of answered. The next question I had was whether or not you think they'll add anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he's gone for twelve.
Speaker 2: You think that's it? Do you have any suggestions for names for him? I think retribution would be a good one, just to keep it confusing.
Speaker 3: Aw overrun over, a out of time, aw value fest, value Fest.
Speaker 2: I like that one. I've got to that one. But that one's like basically you get your money's worth because it goes eight hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Do you think he's twelve?
Speaker 2: Is the it's the that's definitely building that way. My thought was that he would notice that when he kept adding them, that the numbers kept dipping, and the I think at this point, I think I think, like we discussed, if he had six and he had like they were spaced out like evenly, he could like just get like a booking cadence down, like you know, you recover from last one, you start building the next one and just have like a rhythm, whereas now they're just not only are there ten of them, but they're not like evenly spread out. They get like weirdly close to each other, especially all in and all out and forbidden doors always going to be like a speed bump that like distracts from where you're trying to go with your actual booking. But yes, I think he's going to add more and I think it's going to make things worse and more complicated and chaotic. Yeah, an interesting thing with a W. Like when they came around like WW and it pretty much already given up pay per views kind of they weren't they had they had the network, Which is crazy because during this time I was not watching rawers back down, but I was still watching the pay per views because I had the WW network. Why not? So they make a lot of money on their paper dus views. But do you think like AW will ever move? Well, they got my AEW thing overseas. I guess it's you might already know what it's like to have AW kind of on a streaming situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we've got my my a W. And before that, we had fight TV where you could buy the pay per views and you got the Dynamite as well. So I don't, like, I don't know enough about the pay per view business in America or how much Americans are willing to pay or where things are at, but I do feel that the world seems to be moving towards streaming and maybe they would benefit from being on a service. And I don't mean aw, but like, but are they on Is there a Warner Brothers service that they're on too? Like? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, so in America they stream dynam They stream Collision and Dynamite on Hbox, which I have, and that's actually how I watch most weeks, and they this year they started doing the pay per views on there, but they still cost forty dollars. You get like a ten dollars break in the price to watch it, and so fine, yeah, no, I half the time I still just buy it on Amazon because it's not worth like logging into and also because my wife doesn't question Amazon purchases because she makes so many of them.
Speaker 3: She just goes right past her nice tactic. It's always shocked me how much Americans pay for pay per view. That could not be me like that, that those prices don't happen over here.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm pretty sure, like on Fight or whatever, they will always twenty twenty pounds or less, but I would always find a way to get free fight credits, So I would think I ever, like like paid to watch them. But I really I don't know, because I think the factors are hard to predict because it's like, where's the market going, what's gonna happen with the Warner brothers entire situation that's going on there, that's right, you know, like all of that. But it would make sense for them to be on you know, like a stream more onto streaming, But it can't just be my AW because it will end up like the network, because if the network can sustain itself, would and would will my AAW even though they're adding in other shows.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Yeah, I don't think you're that's a good point, like if the WWE network can say itself and it was way bigger than AAW has ever been. Yeah, because at some point WWE moved on two p and though they're on ESPN now like they've been going back and forth too. So yeah, yeah, I don't know. I asked that question because I don't have an answer to that. But in general, pay per views are going away. Even UFC, which used to make most of us money's pay per views mostly streaming. Now almost nothing's on pay per view except for AWS.
Speaker 3: It seems don't I don't know what it's like in America, but over here like it sucks anyone talk about pay per view. I'm not sure young people know what pay per view is. It's not like it used to be.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think young people even know anything about going to the record store and buying an album and listening to twelve songs, Like they don't understand what a single is or anything. There's a whole different thing going on there. So that might be if he wants to look to the future, he might be needing to dump pay per view off because we've got a generation coming up here used to paying a flat rate and getting all that they want of whatever they want. So they should love those six hour pay per views, but they're not going to pay for them individually. In pieces. It seems to be into something.
Speaker 3: Else that is true, like our you know, that's that is not how we operate as a culture anymore. Like it's not as it. You just pay your Netflix, you pay your Prime. Paying for one off things is no.
Speaker 2: Well, all right, Sephanie. I think we've had a pretty end depth discussion on AEW's pay per views. In the pay per view model such as it is, I guess we should do the thing, you know, the thing I'm talking about, Yeah, the thing the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, worse or better?
Speaker 2: So I'm going to say it is now we're talking at aw pay per views. It's worse, especially just coming off of Redemption, which is maybe the worst pay per view they've done. So I think just by too many pay per views, it's worse in that way. I think the quality has dipped, Redemption being a good example, and also Forbidden Door being completely irrelevant and not great. That's a pretty good dip. I think we're much worse. I think we were way better when we had four. I think four, even though you and I decided like successes maybe like the good balance. I think we were better off in twenty nineteen when we had four big pay per views to look to, and I didn't care that it went five hours, because four times a year I can make that kind of thing. But I think ten like six hour pay per views a year. It's too much. It's much much worse. Although I'm willing to listen to your opinion.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think it's absolutely worse.
Speaker 2: I thought maybe I think it's worse.
Speaker 3: I'm a true heater of the length. I don't like that that there's ten or whatever that would get into twelve. I wish it was back to the old days. I wish I could be excited again when an AHw pay per view comes on. So it is worse, and that is not a judgment on the match quality or anything like that. I mean the actual situation of the pay per views and all of the things we've talked about.
Speaker 2: It is worse, right, I think we have said several times like they always deliver on pay per view. They're usually good. Even Redemption, which we have shit all over, basically delivered. So yeah, it's worse. And also I think it's worse in the sense that having the tennis and they are running together, they used to kind of stand out more. You could remember moments better, matches better, and they used to have to put more work into a thing, and they don't do this now. But do you remember, like when wwe used to have like a pay per view and they would have like this crazy stage set up and it was very memorable. Like you'd see a clip from me'd be like, oh, yeah, that was Judgment Day in nineteen ninety seven. I remember the stage. Like. I think if they had less pay per views to deal with, they could like put more like elbow grease into them, like really make them stand out more too. It would also be helpful because they are really running together that.
Speaker 3: First Double or Nothing with the chips and walks on the poker chips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's as it's a visual. I remember it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 2: I have no idea what Double or Nothing twenty twenty three looked like, though they're all out twenty twenty four. All right, Stephanie, it's worse. The pay per views are. The pay per view in a pay per view system is worse. The pay per views are still.
Speaker 3: Good the pay per view.
Speaker 2: I'm looking forward to All in. I think it's gonna be a good show. I'm excited about it almost, and I'm not excited about SummerSlam, which I'm watching tonight and tomorrow night.
Speaker 3: I'm not excited for SummerSlam at all. I'm definitely not staying up for it. I think it starts like half an hour, but I'm not staying up for it. I am not going to all in, even though it would be only a short plan ride for me to London. But yeah, I just like I have no desire to. I don't want to go to Wambley again to watch wrestling, and it's not even like a convenient time for me to be going. So I'm very glad I'm not going because if I had decided to go because my friends were going or whatever, I know I'd regret it as soon as I sat down in the arena.
Speaker 2: I'm the same way. It happens to me like I go to concert sometimes, Like I'll go, I'll sit down and be like it'll start, I'll be into It'll be like I'm really looking forward to this being over it, So I'm gonna be at home thinking about it instead of being stuck at it. That's actually me anytime I leave the house.
Speaker 3: To be honest with you, I totally understand that. I understand that. But you know, I think I only get it at wrestling because there was just too many. I think other things I find more novel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well again, there's so many wrestling things to go to that they're not novel at all, all right, So if we lay it on Worse, I am open to hearing other people's opinions on that is more better, like more pay per views, longer pay per views? Are these better? Are there people that actually believe that? If you're one of those people, email Worse Are Better show at gmail dot com and Stephanie and I will argue with you. And since you next week or the week after. Actually, Stephanie, we have a bulletin. Stephanie is traveling next week. She's not going to be here next week, not to wrestling show.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm off to the great city of Liverpool to celebrate my future sister in law's wedding, so yes, I'll be doing that. So I guess you're going to find another partner, Josh.
Speaker 2: I will track down somebody. But definitely, if you want to listen to the show without commercials, or you want to listen to other shows that you don't want to listen to, you can go VIP with the PW Torch. There you can listen to this show with the commercials, more shows. You get the backlogs and issues on PW Torch. All good stuff, easily worth the ten dollars, like when it comes out every month in my little phone buzzes, I go, oh okay, not like when Netflix comes out, I go oh damn, I need a can. What am I doing with that? But when the Torch comes out, it's like, oh yeah, I made a good purchase one time at least. So I recommend that you can go to PW Torch dot com, slash go vip that's how you do that. Other than that, Stephanie, do you have anything you want to add for these lovely people listening not at home, they're probably in their cars. I listen mostly in my car.
Speaker 3: No, just thank you. I'm going to say good night because I think once again you've seen me go from light to dark.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is dark where you are again, even though it's bright light when we started. Not as bad as the SummerSlam episode because we didn't do every pay per view this time. But we'll talk to Stephanie in two weeks, and you guys are also welcome. Listen next week for a surprise topic with a surprise guest. Until then, Stephanie, thank you once again, have a great night, Thank.
Speaker 3: You, Josh, goodbye everyone.
Speaker 1: Your time is valuable. Go VIP and listen to our show's commercial free a nice streamline listening experience. Pw torch dot com slash go vip for full details on a commercial free listening experience, and with a full VIP membership, you can create custom feeds for individual shows or groups of shows by theme, and also unlock nearly four decades of archives and access our ad free website with VIP exclusive content. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP. Your time is valuable, and that's one of the reasons we offer VIP membership pw torch dot com slash go vip. You can participate in the Waydekeller Pro Wrestling podcast by emailing your question or topic too Weadkeller Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also participate in the way Keller post shows by emailing Weadkellerpost show at gmail dot com during or write after Raw, Dynamite or SmackDown. Let your voice, let your opinions be heard on our shows via email. Weightkeller Podcast at gmail dot com for the flagship and Wadekellerpost Show at gmail dot com for our post shows. It's next level coverage that you come to expect from the PW Torch brand. No AI, no rookie perspectives, no unfounded rumors, no clickbait, no deceptive headlines, just high quality writing, breaking news and fascinating flashbacks every day at PW torch dot com. Pull yourself away from the evacuous social media experience that I know many of you regret once you get lost in it for minutes, if not hours at a time, and settle in for high quality PW Torch branded wrestling coverage. Admit it, you love Nick Barbatti when he co hosts with me on the Wadkeller Post shows, while now you can listen to him every week on The Nicky's Club, a VIP exclusive podcast. Here's Nick to tell you more.
Speaker 8: Hey, wrestling fans, It's Nick Barbatty and I'm back with the Nicky's Club, the place where the family of Nickys comes together for big laughs and shark takes on WWE for WrestleMania rumors to surprise returns. I got you covered, the Nicky's Club, where the wrestling feels like the coolest club in town.
Speaker 1: Nick Barbatti wants to be part of your pro wrestling life every week, so why not let him go VIP PW torch dot com slash go vip for full details on signing up. We're compatible with patreons, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and just about any other iOS or Android app out there. You can also stream directly from our ad free VIP website. The Nickis Club waiting for you every week at PW Torch vip. Did you know that you can enjoy commercial free versions of all of your favorite weight color podcasts in PW torch daily casts on Spotify. Just go to patreon dot com search PW Torch and subscribe to a VIP membership tier. You get a seven day free trial by the way to kick the tires a bit and see if you like the service and then think it with Spotify, and you can listen to commercial free versions of our free shows like the way Keller Post shows, the Weightkeler Podcast, Flagship, our Flashbacks, and also the PW Torch Day the cast lineup again all commercial free and nice streamline listening experience. But with third tier membership you can also unlock all the VIP podcasts, including Everything with Rich and Wade, to Fix with Todd Martin that I host with Todd every week, the wad Keller News bulletins, post pay per view roundtables, and an array of other VIP exclusive podcasts with different hosts and different themes. Check out the lineup. Go to Patreon and search PW Torch and subscribe and sync it up with Spotify or stay within the Patreon ecosystem. Either way works. Go to Patreon and start your seven day free trial. If you're listening to us on the Apple podcast app, on Spotify, or any other app that allows you to rate our podcast, please take a moment to give us a five star rating. It really helps us in the algorithm and helps them know that you recommend us to others. Just look for a place to rate the show on Spotify, on Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to our shows, and please click that five star rating, and of course, thank you so much for listening. A PW Torch VIP membership doesn't just give you add free access to these shows and a ton of other VIP exclusive podcasts throughout the week, but you also gain access to our unmatched vast library of wrestling history, our contemporaneous week to week coverage through our progressing Torch weekly newsletters dating back to the late nineteen eighties, along with streaming and download access to hundreds of retro radio shows from the nineteen nineties, including some of my interviews with wrestling's top newsmakers in the nineties, and also our podcast library dating back to the year two thousand and three. There's no larger, longer spanning pro wrestling podcast library than that that comes with a PW Torch VIP membership. Now approaching twenty years of podcasting, Go VIP and dive into our post pay per view roundtables are covered with some of your favorite eras of wrestling, top name long form interviews, and special format podcasts that we've done throughout the years. PW torch dot com slash go vip. We have a streamline signup form and you can pay with PayPal or directly with your credit card or debit card. In one or two minutes from right now, you can be a VIP member and diving into our library. PW Toorch dot com slash go vip