Speaker 1: Is this Bailey? Hi, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: How are you?
Speaker 1: I am doing great, Bailey? How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm wonderful excited to be chatting with you guys this morning.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you.
Speaker 3: I wanted to get Bailey on. Bailey is going to I want to get into there's a very cool event that is coming up at the Branch Museum and that's a week from this coming Friday. Correct, yep, exactly, all right, So give me the give me the headline of it, and then we'll get into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I work for Cherriff Lennard, who I actually think you've had on the show before. He's the one that did the firewalks they.
Speaker 3: Walked across the calls. I thought it was a scam, but yes, he's cool.
Speaker 1: I liked him. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He let's just do a lot of really cool creative things and so we eat them. Working with the So, I run a program in a jail called HARP where we help innates with addiction essentially heal and recover. And one of the things that we do is we bring nature into them. You know, nature's really healing, and believe it or not, there's not a lot of that in jail. So we've worked with these incredible artists in horticulturists and therapists essentially to bring nature in and photograph it. And so the exhibit on Friday the Branch is going to be showing all of our program participants, the plural design that they've created, and all of their hard work. So we're super excited about it, right.
Speaker 3: So it's called the Floral Therapy Program for Chesterfield County Jail. It'll be showing at the Branch Museum July eleventh, And like you said, it is the Helping Addicts Recover Progressive or Progressively program, or as it's known as HARP.
Speaker 1: Is this the well?
Speaker 3: Two things Number one, if I'm not mistaken, isn't this the program that Jelly Rolls swung by not too long ago?
Speaker 2: This is the program that Jelly Rolls swung by. It's the one too, where our guys actually performed on stage with him in Charlottesville.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Nice. How did you end up running the program?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Gosh, me, I got really really lucky. I'm from a law enforcement family and was told grown up that the people behind bars were the bad guys. You know, Dad's out catching bad guys, and actually ended up going to a jail and meeting a bunch of people and just fell in love with working with this population. You know, there are a lot of people who've had a lot of hard things happen in life, and they're an incredibly motivated group of people to do something different. And HARP has get definitely been a career that it's taken me places I would have never expected, and I love every day of it.
Speaker 1: Would you say taking you places like specifically? Does anything come to mind?
Speaker 2: I mean, We've just gotten to do so many cool things. We've filmed a documentary. I've gotten to meet with politicians that I never thought I would meet with Jelly World Concort backstage. You know, there's a lot of cool stuff, but it's also in the small things too, you know, like my Facebook feed every holiday is actually filled with people who were once in jail who are now moms and dads and getting to be with their families on the holidays. So this some of the big cool things, but it's also in just getting to see people's lives change every day, and that's really like take away all the cool stuff. That's the part that matters to most to all of us.
Speaker 3: Right, So it is I mean, the passion is helping those that are incarcerated so that there is a successful transition once they get out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. The goal is to help them to not come back to jail, right, because that's what you know, everybody wants is for them to be healthy, happy, in some form of recovery, able to you know, be taxpayers and can reach to society. And you know, that's a win win for everybody. When people aren't too many crimes again, you know, they're not doing those things and they're actually able to be the people that they're meant to be.
Speaker 3: Hey, Bailey, can I ask you this. I feel like the and I don't consider us part of the media, but when you when you look at the media, you do hear a ton about you. You hear two words a lot, repeat offender, repeat offender, repeat offender. Would we be shocked at the number of people incarcerated that fall into programs like you've established, that are looking for a very very successful transition once they get out.
Speaker 2: Oh, you'd be stunned. U. Nobody wants to be an addiction. Nobody has chosen to struggle with substance use disorder, and today, for the most part, in my experience, and I've been doing this ten years now, it's people who want to get well but may or may not have all the tools, resources and support to do so. And so that's what hard books to do is to help people. We'll find the tools, find the resources, establish a support network so that they're able to get the helps that they needed so that they can stop coming back to jail. And it doesn't work for everybody. You know, addiction is relapsing, it happens. But I mean, our recidivism rate is about twenty three percent compared to a national a national average you know, in somewhere in the seventies.
Speaker 1: That's awesome, that's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hey, so the event at the at the museum, it'll run July eleventh to July nineteenth. I know, one hundred percent of the proceeds get donated to the HARP Recovery Program. What is the easiest way for people to be able to visit and explore the exhibit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, just so on Friday night, come see us. We will be there from six to nine pm, but the exhibit will run the whole time that we're there until the nineteenth. They're taking donations either through Venmo through whatever you want to do. And it's actually for our nonprofit which just directly supports people who are returning home from incarceration, things like job skill programming, forklift certification, certificate classes, bed fees, all those things that help people to successfully return home. So we appreciate all the support. Thank you so much for everything.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and do me a favor keep us in mind in the future, Like I know that this is a big event that's coming up and it starts next Friday, but just down the road. Yeah, keep us updated on what other events. I love the program. I think it's great.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we'll do. Thank you so much. Got to see you guys are Fridays.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you, Bailey. I appreciate it. Thank you, ma'am. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: I like that. I like that. So again, it's July eleventh.
Speaker 3: Through nineteenth, Branch Museum, the Floral Therapy Program from Chesterfield County Jail. One hundred percent of the proceeds will be donated to the HARP Recovery program.
Speaker 1: That's cool. Yeah, that's very cool. So I like that.
Speaker 2: I was looking at some of the sneak previews of the artwork and the moments they capture that are going to be on display.
Speaker 1: It's very cool. It's really special. Yeah, no, it's really nice. And I like that as a program.
Speaker 3: Do you remember and I remember like when the when there was the news about Jelly Roll going to visit the number of people that we talked to that had gone through that program that called in.
Speaker 1: I thought it was great.