Speaker 1: We're Tomy Lorenzo and this is the Bitter Kitten Movie Club. Hello Kitten's Welcome back to another edition of the b k MC, a supplemental edition of the Pop Style Opinion Pest podcast where we take a look at one movie per week and unpack everything we can unpack about it. This week's movie is director of Wan car Wise in The Mood for Love from two thousand, starring Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung. And you know, I gotta say, this is the third time I've watched this film. The first time I watched this film, it was only about five or six years ago. I had heard about it, I had seen clips from it, but I had never watched the full film. And I was compiling a book proposal about movie costumes, still working on that, and I knew that her dresses, I knew that Maggie Chung's chungsund dresses were iconic, so I wanted to watch the film to see if I would include them in the book or whatever. Fell in love with the movie. And then I found out that you had not seen it, and I said, oh, you had to sit down and watch this. It's so beautiful, it's so you know about yearning and longing, and you know, the filmmaking is so gorgeous and they're so gorgeous. So then we watched it together and that was the second time I watched it. Then I watched it this week and I had a totally different read on it, and I thought, am I have I changed? Am I become more cynical? Or is this actually not a love story? And that's kind of what I want to unpack today is that it's I went into this this selection for this week, thinking, well, we're just going to talk about romance and longing and yearning and repression and all that other stuff that is in the film. Don't get me wrong, and I wouldn't suggest that those characters, mister Chow and missus Chan are not in love at certain points during the film. But what really struck me watching it this time was they're actually more in pain than they are in love. They share something, you know, they share something. And it was while I was watching them like an act, you know, roleplay their partners, where like they were pretending to confront their partner or pretending to be their partner who while committing adultery. And I'm watching these scenes I'm like, this is kind of fucked up what they're doing emotionally. They are stuck in this hole where they're enacting all of their pain on each other over and over and over again. And I don't know how I come down on this just yet. Maybe we all come to a conclusion by the end of this podcast, but I'm not sure they Well, I did say that they are in love at certain points in the movie. I don't know if that's real love though. Anyway, I'm gonna stop and let you give your impression.
Speaker 2: Well, I had heard about the movie, obviously, because everyone talks about it. I mean, the fashion industry is in love with this movie, rightly. So yeah, you know, people who love movie, they love this movie. And yes, there is this whole thing about including TUCM. I was watching it and they introduced the movie as one of the best love stories you know, in cinema, and so they do play that that, you know, play that out like it's one of the best love stories. I think it is in a way. It's about love, no doubt about it, because you know they're both married and they go through stuff. Yeah, and they meet each other and they have something in common, something they share and they explored that. Yeah, I think that's that's pretty much. The movie is absolutely perfection beautiful. It's one of the most beautiful movies I've ever seen in my life. Yeah, I feel like I'm, you know, looking at a fair May painting or something. It's just one of those gorgeous things produced. I agree that is perfection. I mean, they both look so gorgeous, and.
Speaker 1: I have never seen two people look so beautiful. The only thing I can compare it to is there's a movie called, Oh God, what's it called with Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clipped. I just had it any Place in the Sun A Place in the Sun from nineteen fifty one, and by my book, I have always considered that the most beautiful couple ever captured on film. If you ever have a chance to just google the stills. I'm talking to the audience. I'm sorry, if you ever have a chance, or if you just want to google the stills. They are breath taking. It is Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clipped at the height of their beauty. And it's the same thing here with Tony Leong and Maggot Chunk, Like there are a time story. My god, these two people are breath taking.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, they're dressed so beautifully. He looks stunny, his hair is flawed. It looks like a goddess. I could not stop looking at her the entire time. How can you be that gorgeous and perfection? Perfection? Perfect? You're just perfect?
Speaker 1: You look your hair, you know, the custom the way she fells out those oh my god, the way she moves her arms and reminding the enselessness of her body.
Speaker 2: Reminded me a little bit of a bed feast. With the two ladies. How they move very gracefully. Everything is just gorgeous. She the costumes are beautiful. The costumes were designed by William.
Speaker 1: Chan Yeah, William Chang.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he worked very closely with the director. They had a very clear vision of what they wanted. And it's interesting because it's that Chinese dress that most women wore now, yeah, and it and which is kind of like one the same kind of silhouette and fit, but they they make it specially unique by changing the fabrics and adding details.
Speaker 1: And I mean, the basic dress is exactly the same and it's just changed up by fabrics, the different fabric fabric choices. So her silhouette remains exactly the same and her hairstyle except for when the time period shifts and in a little bit later she has longer hair, but she has that boufont hairdoo absolutely gorgeous, and it just it's just such a it combines so beautifully on her. There are other women in the film who have similar hairstyles that are wearing the same style of dress, but it just doesn't look the same on them as it does on her.
Speaker 2: The story is that it took five hours every day to do the hair makeup alone, because yeah, and you can see that, and I love that it reflects the sixties also it's very Asian but also the sixties, and it's just beautiful. She the designer made the custom designan I believe forty six dresses. She ended up wearing. How many tweets anyone dresses into film.
Speaker 1: She rarely re wears a dress. She does rewear a couple of them, but they're all such blindingly distinct prints and colors that every time she changes a dress, it's extremely noticeable. Like my film, and it's smart because of the style of filmmaking, which has a sort of dreamy it's not nonlinear, but it's not exactly. I mean, I think it all happens in order, but it sort of floats in and out. Things tend to repeat, and the only way you know time has passed is by her dresses bye bye, because they shift from scene to s the.
Speaker 2: Core of the movie. According to director, something I read is that that's what he wanted, repetition. It's pretty much the same emotions played.
Speaker 1: You know, they are people who are stuck in a loose yes, exactly, and so the film very much has that quality. And it's very much whenever the plucking cello strings happens and they go into a slow motion thing, it feels like people, beautiful people who are trapped, but they are trapped.
Speaker 2: I do think they both look incredible, and I think that it's funny because one of the bitch and neighbors I love her, she says, did she go dressed like that to get nudice? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I mean, because she's always perfect no matter where she goes, whatever she does to words, I do think sometimes you know this, this is a time and a place that is completely alien to me. I cannot talk about what Hong Kong in the nineteen sixties was like. Their lives would have been, like, however, one car, why does remember Hong Kong in the nineteen sixties, and he really wanted to recreate that period in that time. So I have to rely on my faith in him as a director that what he has done is faithful to the time and place. On the other hand, I do think it gets into a bit of Hollywood style fantasy when you look at where they're living and what they do for a living. It's kind of hard to reconcile that with the fact that they both look like movie stars throughout the entire movie, Like how does she look like that living in that tiny little aparty? And where does he even keep all those trustes?
Speaker 2: And I think he's aware of that because if you look at the walls, the walls are dirty. When you know the buzzer, everything, it's dirty and old, right, So it's an old building, you know, it's nothing fancy.
Speaker 1: Rainy alleyway that they needed that is gorgeous. It's all crumbling and stare light bulbs. But my god, it looks so beautiful. Meaning at the stairs all the time. I mean, just her, get Jesus Christ, look at her. I do think, uh, director Wong Uh and the cinematographer whose name I don't have in front of me, were very deliberately and how they shot her. They were very aware of how those dresses hug her body. They were very aware of the shape of her body. So, you know, it's weird for me to be sitting here talking about an actress's body in this, but they made it central. And you know, she has a long, thin, sinuous sort of body. And the way she moves on camera, the way they shot her as she moved through, you know, with her her pocketbook in the crook of her arm close up and you're watching her hips way that is just sexy, sexy, sexy as hell without being remotely This is what I'm trying to get at. They centered her body on screen quite a bit, but I did not feel it was lascivious. It's clearly the male gaze at work here. I mean, I wouldn't suggest otherwise, but I didn't think it was a lacibious framing of her body. It was simply the fact that her body looks amazing in those dresses. And they are constantly in very close quarters with each other, so you're getting close ups on her body, their bodies are constantly touching.
Speaker 2: But I also think their beauty makes a point that these two characters are absolutely breathtaking, their gorgeous. Yeah, and yet they're being you know, uh, their spouses are cheating, are cheating on them. So so it has a point there to show that these you know, these people are gor She is absolutely I've seen so many incredibly beautiful actors male and female on you know, on screen, on screen.
Speaker 1: But my god, she'll cut to her face every now and then every Wow, look at that face. Look at how perfect that face.
Speaker 2: She she is. But he is gorgeous as well. He's very beautiful. But she is insane. She Yeah, absolutely, She's like a porcelain doll. She's just incredible. All right.
Speaker 1: Let me say, let me read a quote from one car Wide that he gave to La Weekly around the time of the film. I think it's very interesting that most of the audience prefers to think that this is a very innocent relationship. These are the good guys, because their spouses are the first ones to be unfaithful, and they refuse to be Nobody sees any darkness in these characters, and that they are meeting in secret to act out fictitious scenarios of confronting their spouses and of having an affair. I think this happens because the face of Tony Leung is so sympathetic. Just imagine if it was John Malcobits playing this role, you would think this guy is really weird. And that's the other way I think director Wong uses their beauty is to mask that what's happening here is not really as it's I don't want to say that it's not innocent because it is innocent. I don't think they actually He says in certain interviews that they do not consummate the relationship, and there was some confusion about that because there was a scene where it looked like they had, but then they act throughout the rest of the film as if they've never even touched each other. And he said he has a very loopy, improvisational directing style. So they shot for like fifteen months. Maggie Chung. She gave an interview at the Toronto Film Festival that year where she talks about how pissed off she was working with him because he was just constantly they were improvising things, the story was shifting. He would do take after take after take, and it was very hard. There was no hard script for them to work with. I'm pointing this out because one of the scenarios that he did shoot is that they did have sex. I don't think he shot a sex scene, but they shot a scene where it was clear. It's clear, and then he decided not to use it in the film. He decided not to go in that direction. And that's a very interesting way of doing filmmaking because it leaves the audience with a because he used takes and he said that, he said, I used takes where they were acting as two people who had had sex.
Speaker 2: With each other. I can think of a couple of a couple.
Speaker 1: Of scenes where it seemed like they had and then later in the film it's like, oh no, they've they've never even touched. And I do think that's I guess what I'm trying to get out here is that this film is probably more impressionistic than it appears at first glance, and that even though it is relatively linear storytelling, I think I don't think you can take much of the I don't think you can take the film entirely literally. I guess that's my point. It's impressions of things. It's moods of I think it's very telling that the title is in the mood for love, which doesn't necessarily imply that there's actual love there. It just means you're in the mood for it.
Speaker 2: I think because everything is so secretive, and especially at that time, you can tell, you know, you couldn't share with the rest of the apartment building that you know, their spouses were having an affair. So they they found each other and it happened that they were, you know, in the same situation. And I think they they kind of share that. I do believe that they I think it started because I think their relationship because, like I said, they had something in common that they shared, and also they felt betrayed. I mean, you can tell that they're very hurt by by by what, you know, being cheated. So so they found each other and they had that to talk about and you know, uh and share because they couldn't share with anybody else. But at the same time, I think they were feeling in attraction to each other obviously, I mean it's clear, Uh you can you can see the tension, you know, you can feel the tension. So it's an it's interest. At the same time, they're trying to be mature about it, you know, rational about it. Right, It's conflicting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, why don't we take a short break and when we come back, I want to talk a little bit about why did their spouses cheat on them?
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: We're back talking about in the Mood for Love and one of the things, you know, the thing we're trying to unpack the fact that the idea that this film is darker than it appears at first glance, and that.
Speaker 2: It's a sadder not necessarily you know.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I think there is a darkness there. I do think, and this is kind of what I wanted to unpack. It's not the idea that, you know, if someone cheats on a spouse, well then they must have done something to deserve it. But I mean, this is a film, this is a story, and things are put in the story that are you know, are there to be unpacked. So, and you pointed this out. They're so breathtakingly beautiful, it's a little hard to understand why anyone would cheat on them. And I do think it's an interesting always to not show the spouses.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that was brilliant.
Speaker 1: But I do think it gets gimmicky at times because some of the scenes are staged in a way it's like you're working too hard to obscure a fire here. But I think it adds you want to know, like you want to know what does his wife look like that that's you know, or what does her husband look like that he would cheat on her? She's stunning, you know. And all you're left with is your imagination of, well, are they are these other people even more attractive than they are or did they come together for reasons other than simple attraction?
Speaker 2: And this is my point.
Speaker 1: Both of those characters, mister Chow and missus Chan, they they live at a remove from everybody around them. They are not warm with other people. He has his one friend that he that he takes care of. But she's very cold. She's very cold to her neighbors, she's very cold to her book. She's very removed.
Speaker 2: Never accept an invitation to to have a meal with him, no, you know, she always says no whatever. So she's that side of her.
Speaker 1: And then there is a very clearly a very darkly brooding side to him. So my takee and the other thing about her. I think is interesting is that there could have been a way to play this character as a lot more demure than she actually was. But uh, missus Chan comes off as fairly forceful in terms of her character.
Speaker 2: Fairies.
Speaker 1: I would never call her a bitch, like, That's not how she comes across in the film. But she's she's harsh. I think there's a harshness to her.
Speaker 2: I think she's asserted, you know, like, I mean, she's she's, she's she knows what she wants, she's I think she's yeah, and okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: So she has a sort of a sort of assertiveness to her, and he has a certain sort of dark, brooding aspect to him. Right, And I guess what I'm getting at here is when you look at unrequited love or love stories that don't pan out, which this one is, you kind of wonder, well, would it have worked if they had stayed, if they had made a go for it. And again, my previous two viewings of this film, I would have said, absolutely, it's a great love story. Look at them, They're amazing. But now I watch it and I think I don't know that that's what the film's trying to say. I don't know that these two people would have been any good with each.
Speaker 2: Other, right, but it's very clear to me that they're very hurt by. They were truer because when they do their little rehearsal, which threw me off completely, like the first scene when they're saying goodbye, that the scene is repeated. Yeah, I was like, what's going on my TV?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Right? I thought it was like, all right, they're showing the same thing. There's something wrong with my TV. But then I realized, now they're just rehearsing. And when she cries, I think that she obviously is very hurt by her husband, be true, you know.
Speaker 1: Isn't it interesting how she never has these emotions in front of other people, though she cries when she's alone because or with him. Because that's true, she did cry with him. That's because they share something. They share something, they share the.
Speaker 2: Same emotions, and and so I think that's incredible. I think that's why they're together. They they kind of like, you know, found each other because and.
Speaker 1: So do you think they could have been happy together? Because that's not the part I that's the part I struggle with.
Speaker 2: It's hard to tell. It's hard to tell, but I do think they they they they Yeah, they think about it, they think about being together. I mean that's clear. Uh and and yeah it's And I love how the film, the film kind of like betrays you because when she says, when when they have that scene where she's he says, I didn't think you, you know, I didn't think you're gonna fall in love with me or whatever. I thought it was about them, and then then you find out it's just And that's when you get like, Okay, this is fucked up. What you two.
Speaker 1: What they're doing is not healthy for them emotionally. And I guess that's what I'm getting at most here. It's not like any therapist would have looked at that and said you need to stop doing that. It's bad for you.
Speaker 2: But I understand why they did it.
Speaker 1: It's a very human thing.
Speaker 2: I think it's yeah, it's it's yeah, you you wanna It's not that you. Because even if you don't practice in reality in life, if you if you know, if you have a spouse and you going through that situation, you might not rehearse it, but you think about it in your head all the time.
Speaker 1: Sure you're playing it over and over again, and they're just playing it out exactly.
Speaker 2: So I thought it was fantastic. Actually, I was like, wow, this is really interesting. Not healthy, probably, but interesting.
Speaker 1: So at the end of the film, she is renting the apartment landlady had uh and she has a child.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't know who the father is.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I mean this goes back to I wonder if the director Wong had originally planned that they would, because there was originally a scene of them postcoital, if he was originally going to imply that, but since he opted not to, and he says in interviews that they do not consummate, they don't even kiss. So no, that's not his siety, which means that she stayed with It more than likely that she stayed with her husband and had a kid with him.
Speaker 2: Again, that's not very clear because after that point they never mentioned where.
Speaker 1: This is what I want to point out is that the spouses completely drop out, and this is his He chooses to do this as a filmmaker. You make the point about how you know that's the scene that replayed and you thought there was something wrong with your TV. He he wants that sort of dreamy sort of quality where you can't quite figure out what's going on, and I think that's very much the case. You don't know what happened to their spouses. It's implied that she's still with her husband. No idea what happened to his wife though, I mean he's in Campbell at the end of the film, no idea, no end. Very little is made of what happened, like did he become a writer? Like did he write more of those uh, you know serials that they were working on that. That's the other thing. I did think it was interesting that they they don't consummate their relationship, but they spend all their time trying trying to write these little stories together. And again, it's just this feeling. There's scenes of her, very short brief shots of her just laboring writing something out, and you can tell she's passionate about these these types of stories. Uh, And again it just feels like they're sublimating their own feelings. They're they're they're not really dealing with the pain that they're feeling, so they're just writing out these stories. They're working very passionately on something together, and then it just goes away and you just don't know what happens with any of it.
Speaker 2: I think the movie also does a very good job showing, uh, how you react differently to betrayal, like because her boss is also.
Speaker 1: I know, she's very cold to him, as she would be I think, but she plays along well, she's kind of choice, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what it means. Very interesting. Yeah, it's very interesting that she helps her pretty much helps her boss, you.
Speaker 1: Know, by his mistress.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love the whole thing with the bags and the ties. Oh my god, I love that. Yeah, I just love that whole The movie is so chic, so it's.
Speaker 1: So funny to call it sheek when they're living in like I know, essentially a tenement, the light, in the cinematography, everything about I just love those scenes in that hallway, that tiny, tiny, tiny little with the kitchen at the end of it, where they're all playing with and you can't even really that's the thing. Everything is partially obscured in this film. You never get a full full shot, the whole wide open view of anyone. Everything is constantly obscured. Faces are obscured, body parts are obscured. What's actually happening emotionally or physically in a scene is obscure. So it's all just this very dreamy sort of opague film.
Speaker 2: But it's also playing on the whole not you know, hiding things right, not being one hundred percent true. No, I mean that's certain way.
Speaker 1: I had to spend all night hiding in his Oh my god, yeah, because they were playing my song all night and it was the neighbors couldn't find out that it was so repressive and they were so scared. And she says at one point, you cannot put a single foot wrong. And I love that because again, this is not my culture or my time period, so I have to rely on all right, this, I guess this is what to remember.
Speaker 2: That's the sixties in Asia. Yeah, I mean, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean very traditional culture.
Speaker 2: Right. So yeah, I loved all of that.
Speaker 1: I loved it because it it showed me a world that I am not a part of. It showed me a lifestyle that I have never lived and will never live.
Speaker 2: If nothing else, I she's oh phenomenal. She's such an incredible action. She dropped out of acting. I know she made another thing. That's the thing about great acting is that you create these amazing things, man, and you're just like, my god, I mean, you should be very proud of yourself because you created. Yeah, you created something beautiful, icon of beauty, of fashion and everything. She Oh, her dress is my god, everything one of them.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I don't think those characters could afford to have such impact clothing. But it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: No, she wears a different dress in everything. She doesn't have an apartment big enough to dresses, but it doesn't matter. But it's funny how the neighbors point that out. They talk about her shoes, Oh, a new pair of shoes or whatever I mean they talk about, which I think it's funny.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And it's it's very interesting because there's a hint of of you know, social awareness and political awareness because you know, we're talking about British Hong Kong and then and then the United States. Her daughter moved to the United States. The neighbor and all that stuff. It's just a little hint of things here in there buying things in Japan, like you know they bring the rice, you know, cooker, all that stuff. Yeah. I just think it's very interesting, very much of the time of the period. Beautiful, beautiful movie. My god, it's beautiful and the music is so.
Speaker 1: No the cello, ah playing about.
Speaker 2: Love because you know it doesn't play all the time. The cello doesn't play all the time. But when it does, you're like, all right, we're moving again. Yes, it's like all right, next next move Like it's like the train is moving again to the next station. I just love it, love it.
Speaker 1: It's a great little film. It's it's a film that sticks with you, and I mean it could be frustrating if you're trying to figure something out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of people don't like the movie because they think that, you know, this is it, all right, well, this is it, this is it.
Speaker 1: It's just this dreamy sort of reflection on two people coming together for a very brief period in their lives, right, and not necessarily for the best of reasons, right, And I like, I think I think people might have had an easier time with this film if he had made it clear that he was telling a dark story, not a love story. But he left that to the audience to figure out, and it seems to me very few of them had. And I mean I copto that. I watched that film twice thinking, oh my god, such a beautiful love story. And it wasn't until the third time I watched it, where I was like, oh, I don't know, these two people are kind of fucked.
Speaker 2: Up, right, But again, we're playing into what he I think he wanted. The message that he sends as a director is that you know, are you are we judging these people? Are we defending you?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I'm saying as a viewer, you have all points of view about it, right right right, like the neighbors. So you know, should we judge these people or should we support them and root for them? You know, there's I guess it depends depends on how you see betrayal, depends on how you you know, what you think about it. You know, how much weight you put you know, that kind of thing anyway. Yeah, that's what I love about it. It's up to you as the audience to feel a certain way, to you know, and see things a certain way. I mean, if you think that's a big deal or not a big deal anyway, I.
Speaker 1: We would love to hear your thoughts, yes, whether you think this was a grand love story or whether you thought it was a story about two people in a kind of a screwed up relationship that we're you know, and in pain, or maybe it's not such a binary choice either way, we'd love to hear what you think. We'll be back on Monday or Tuesday, I'm not sure which one, with a look at several TV series and a recounting of our recent trip, and then we'll be back next week for the next b k MC, where we will be watching a film that I did not like much the first time I saw it, which was a Little Miss Sunshine. Until then, take care of yourself, love you mean it.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye, bry