Speaker 1: Welcome curious minds to another deep dive. Today. We're taking a bit of a shortcut. We want you to be exceptionally well informed on a topic that's well fundamentally reshaping how we manage technology. That topic is antible automation. We're digging into the Red Hat Certified Engineer Antible Automation Steady Guide by Alex Soda Bueno and Andrew Block. That's a fresh off the press from O'Reilly. Our mission really just to pull out those key insights, those aha moments for you without you having to wade through absolutely everything, whether you're prepping for something, maybe a project meeting, or just catching up, or maybe you're just you know, super curious. Let's unpack it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's a great resource for that, this guide. It gives a really in depth, hands on perspective. The authors Alex Soda Bueno and Andrew Block, they bring like a massive amount of real world experience from red Hat Alex's director of Developer Experience Andrew's distinguished architect. They're involved in everything from app life cycles to cloud native stuff. So this isn't just about the mechanics. The how it really gets into the why answer is so critical. Now.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's start right there. Why should you listening right now care about antsable? I mean it, infrastructures today, they're just sprawling, aren't they. You've got cloud, you've got virtual machines, bare metal servers, networking gear. Trying to manage all that manually, it just feels well, not just slow, but like you're constantly fixing mistakes exactly.
Speaker 2: That's the core issue. The guide really highlights this managing complexity and ensuring consistency. Ansable lets you store your entire infrastructure as code. Think about that, it becomes maintainable, reproducible, you know, version controlled. Even It's not just about speed, though speed is nice. It's about control, consistency, preventing those unintended consequences you get from manual tweaks.
Speaker 1: And you know, for a lot of folks listening thinking about their careers, boosting their skills. The RHC certification, specifically this ansible exam that e X two ninety four. That's pretty big deal, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It really is? And the guide asks, you know, why get certified? It's not just enough line on the resume. This sert proves a deep understanding of antsable It genuinely distinguishes you in the job market. It can accelerate your career, push you towards those senior automation or DevOps roles. Plus, it just makes you better at your job right, equiped to handle complex stuff. And importantly the ex two ninety four exam, it's not multiple choice, it's hands on. You have to perform real tasks using ansible. It proves you can actually do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, practical skills, career boost got it. So let's get into the nuts and bolts. What makes ansable well answable. One of the first things people mention is that it's agentless. What does that actually mean in practice? Why is it significant?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the agentless thing is pretty fundamental. It's a key differentiator. See a lot of configuration tools, they need you to install a piece of software and agent on every single machine you want to manage. Ansable doesn't do that. You set up what's called a control node that could be your laptop, could be a CICD server, maybe even a container that's where ansable lives, and from there it pushes instructions out to the managed nodes you're target, get servers, network devices, whatever.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So no extra software cluttering up those managed machines. How does it talk to them? Then? Securely?
Speaker 2: Yep, securely usually over ssh for Linux or Unix systems, or WinRM sometimes open ssh for Windows hosts, so it uses existing secure pathways and those instructions you mentioned. They're basically small programs called modules. Ansible copies the module over runs it, say to install a package using yum or copy of file with faceyp gets the result and then removes.
Speaker 1: The module, so cleans up after.
Speaker 2: Itself exactly, very little footprint left behind. Ansible comes with tons of built in modules, but you can also write your own, usually in Python or PowerShell.
Speaker 1: That's quite elegant. Actually just sends what it needs, runs it gets out okay. So if someone wants to get started get their hands dirty, what does the setup look like? According to the guide.
Speaker 2: It walks you through it pretty clearly. For your control node, you basically need any Unix like machine with a reasonably recent Python like three point nine or later, or Windows with WSL works two. Managed nodes are more flexible. They can often work with older Python versions like two point seven or three point five and up. Installation itself is straightforward. Usually your OS package manager like DNF or APP or PIP on mac os or from source if you really want to. The book used Ansible two point one five one two. But you know, any currently supported version should be fine.
Speaker 1: And you need machines to manage, right. You can't just manage the control node itself.
Speaker 2: Right, You need targets. The guide suggests using virtual machines, which makes sense for learning. They introduce the idea of the host your physical machine, and the guest the VM running on it, and to make that easy, they recommend using something like Oracle VM virtual box as the hypervisor the software that runs the vms, and then crucially Vagrant. Vagrant is fantastic for managing these development environments.
Speaker 1: Vagrant Yeah, I've used That makes spinning up vms much easier totally.
Speaker 2: You just define your machines maybe a staging server, a prod server in a text file called a vagrant file. Then you just type vagrant up and boom, your vms are running. You can check ips ssh in. It makes the hands on part really accessible.
Speaker 1: Okay, environments set up. We've got antsable on a control node, some vms managed by Vagrant. What's next? How do we tell antsable what to manage.
Speaker 2: That's where the inventory file comes in. This is like ansable's address book. It's just a text file usually I I or yamal format, where you list all your managed hosts. You can group them too, which is super powerful, like put all your web servers in a webservers group, databases and debservers as.
Speaker 1: You can target commands at whole groups exactly.
Speaker 2: Imagine you have fifty back end servers, define a back end group and then run one command to install Java on all of them. That's the power. The default file is usually a cancible host, but you can point ansable to any inventory file you want.
Speaker 1: Can you put other info in there besides just host names or ips?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, You can add variables directly in the inventory, things like the username to connect as antsib, loser, vagrant, or maybe even the SSH password, though using keys is better.
Speaker 1: Right right? Okay, so we have an inventory. What about running simple quick commands not full automation yet, just like checking if servers are up.
Speaker 2: That's what ad hoc commands are for. You use the answerable command line tool directly. For example, to check connectivity, you'd run something like antsable all I inventory rumping.
Speaker 1: All, meaning all hosts in the inventory.
Speaker 2: YEP, or you could specify a group name like webservers. The imping tells it to use the ping module, which just checks if it can connect and run Python on the remote host. You can do lots with ad hoc commands. Use the user module to add a user, use the commander shell module to run arbitrary commands, even reboot servers.
Speaker 1: What's the difference between command and shell modules.
Speaker 2: A good question. The command module is simpler, safer, maybe, but it doesn't understand shell things like pipes or redirects. The shell module runs the command through the nodes default shell, so it understands all that syntax.
Speaker 1: Got it? Before we jump into the big stuff playbooks, the guide mentioned something called gathering facts. What's that about?
Speaker 2: Facts are super important. There are pieces of information about the remote hosts, things like host name, IP addresses, amount of memory, disk space, operating system version, kernel version, loads of stuff. By default, Ansable runs the setup module at the beginning of every play to gather these facts. It stores them in variables, typically under ansible facts, and then you can use these facts in your automation, like.
Speaker 1: Only install a certain package if it's a specific OS.
Speaker 2: Version exactly that kind of thing, or configure an application based on the available memory. It makes your automation dynamic and adaptable.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. Facts provide context, but ad hoc commands, while useful, seem limited for complex stuff. That must be where playbooks come in.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, playbooks are the core of Answable for anything beyond simple one liners. They let you orchestrate complex, multi step processes repeatably. A playbook is basically a list of tasks written in Yamel that Ansable executes against specified hosts from your inventory. A single playbook can contain multiple plays. Each play targets a set of hosts and runs a series of tasks on them. Fundamentally, playbooks are about defining the desired state of your systems, and.
Speaker 1: This ties back to that concept you mentioned earlier, idempotency, right ensuring tasks only run if needed precisely.
Speaker 2: Most built in ansable modules are idempatent. They check the current state first. If the system is already in the desired state, say a package is already installed or a file has the correct permissions, the module does nothing.
Speaker 1: Which saves time and prevents errors from running the same thing over and over.
Speaker 2: Correct It makes playbooks safe to rerun. You're saying, ensure the state exists, not run these commands regardless.
Speaker 1: So what does a simple playbook look like? Can you give an example?
Speaker 2: Sure, it's a yamal file. It might start with three dashes. Then you define a play You give the play a name, specify the hosts, a targets like webservers, maybe set become true if you need root privileges for the tasks. Then you list the tasks. Each task typically has a name and calls a module. For instance, a task might use antsable dot built in dot em with name dot httpd and state latest to ensure the Apache webserver package is installed and up to date. Another task could ensure the services started.
Speaker 1: Okay, yammel. List of tasks calling modules seems logical. What about controlling how the playbook runs across multiple hosts? Does it just blast it out to all of them at once?
Speaker 2: Good question. Ansible has different execution strategies. The default is linear. With linear, Ansible runs the play on a small batch of hosts at a time, often five. By default, it waits for them to finish before moving to the next batch, but you can change that. There's a free strategy where ansable doesn't wait, it just runs tasks on hosts as fast as possible, up to the limit set by forks. Forks control the maximum number of simultaneous processes ansable will spawn to connect to hosts. The default is usually five. You can increase it if your control node can handle it. You can also control batch sizes explicitly using the serial keyword in a play. This is crucial for things like rolling updates where you only want to update say once or maybe twenty percent of your servers at a time to avoid downtime.
Speaker 1: Rolling updates, Yeah, that's a critical use case. What about the order within a batch or running a task just once?
Speaker 2: You can control the order with the order keyword. Options like sorted, alphabetical, shuffle or reverse inventory and yes, run down to stat true tells ansible to execute that specific task only once, usually on the first host in the batch. Useful for things like updating essential database schema during a deploy. You can even make a task run on a different host than the one it's currently targeting, using delegate to maybe run a task on a load balancer while deploying to webnes.
Speaker 1: That's all okay, Lots of control there Now a big challenge in automation is handling differences between environments dev staging PROD. They need slightly different settings. How does ansible manage that? Variables?
Speaker 2: Variables are absolutely key. They let you parameterize your playbooks. A variable can be a simple string, a number, a list, a dictionary, standard data types. You reference them in your playbooks using jingjit to templing syntax which looks like double kurl braces.
Speaker 1: And where do you define these variables?
Speaker 2: So many places? That's both powerful and sometimes confusing. You can define them directly in the playbook using a VARs section. You can put them in separate files loaded with varse files. You can have dedicated directories like host VARs for variables specific to one host, or group VARs for variables shared by a group. You can pass them on the command line with extra VARs. There's a well defined variable precedence order that determines which variable definition wins if the same variable name is defined in multiple places. Higher precedence overrides lower.
Speaker 1: Okay, lots of options, but what about sensitive stuff? Passwords, API keys. You don't want those sitting in plain text in your Git repo.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not for that Ansable provides Ansible Vault. Vault is a built in future that lets you encrypt sensitive data within your gammle files. You use the ansible Vault create command to make a new encrypted file or ansible Vault edit to modify one. It prompts you for a password. Then when you run your playbook, you provide the vault password, either interactively or through other secure means, and ansable decrypts the data on the fly just when it needs it.
Speaker 1: But you really need to keep that password.
Speaker 2: It safe, Oh, absolutely critical. The guide emphasizes this. If you lose your vault password, your encrypted data is gone. There's no recovery mechanism, So manage those passwords carefully.
Speaker 1: Okay. Volts for secrets good. As playbooks get bigger or you start doing the same kinds of setups often, how do you avoid massive repetitive playbook files? Make things reusable.
Speaker 2: That's where ansable rolls and more recently collections come into play. They are all about reusability and structure. A role provides a standard directory structure for grouping tasks, variables, file templates, handlers. We'll get to those, and even custom modules related to a specific well role like setting up a web server or configuring a database. You create this self contained unit, maybe a Java role or an Enginx role. Then in your playbook, instead of listing all the tasks, you just say rolls.
Speaker 1: So bundles all the related logic together needly exactly.
Speaker 2: And roles are distributable, you can share them easily. Antsible Galaxy is the public hub for sharing and finding roles, developed by the community. The ansible Galaxy command line tool helps you install and manage roles from Galaxy or other sources.
Speaker 1: And collections are like roles plus plus arns that fair.
Speaker 2: Kind of yeah. Collections are a newer, more flexible way to package and distribute ansible content. A collection can bundle multiple things roles, yes, but also custom modules, plugins, documentation, even entire playbooks. It's a more comprehensive packaging format. You often see things like the ansable dot poseis collection, which bundles modules and roles for managing common poltestic system things like Cylenix, firewalled mounts, et cetera, or Community dot General, which has a huge range of modules. They help manage dependencies and name spaces better, especially as the ansible ecosystem has grown so much.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. So the guide probably shows how to build your own roles too.
Speaker 2: Yep, it shows you how to use Ansible Galaxy role in it roll name to scaffold the standard directory structure, tasks, VARs, templates, handlers, files, meta defaults, and it touches on developing custom modules too. Explaining the key Python variables like ansible metadata, documentation, examples and return that Ansible uses for self documentation and integration.
Speaker 1: Cool let's shift gears a bit within a playbook. Sometimes you need more sophisticated logic than just running tasks sequentially. What about things like loops or running tasks only under certain conditions.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Ansable has robust flow control for repetition. You use loops, you can iterate over a simple list, say a list of software packages to install or usernames to create the loop keyword makes this really clean. You can also have loops that retry a task if it fails initially. Using until retries and delay lets you handle temporary glitches like a network kickup or a service that takes a moment to start up.
Speaker 1: And making tasks conditional like only run this cast on Fedora systems that's.
Speaker 2: Done using conditionals with the when directive you attach when clause to a task, role, import or even a whole play. The value is a gingitow expression that must evaluate too true for the task to run. So you could have when answible fact distribution a case of a doora to make a task Fedora specific, or when inventory host name in groups webservers very flexible.
Speaker 1: Okay, loops retries conditions. What about handlers? You mentioned them when talking about rolls. What are they?
Speaker 2: Handlers are like special tasks, but they only run if notified by another task. You define a handler, say one that restarts the HTTPD service. Then in a task that modifies the Apache configuration file hggpd dot com f you add a notify restart a patchy directive. If and only if that configuration TAC actually makes a change, it notifies the restart Apache handler. All the notifications are collected, and then at the end of the play ansable runs each notified handler once, even if it was notified multiple times.
Speaker 1: Ah, so you don't restart the service unnecessarily only if the config actually changed.
Speaker 2: Efficient exactly perfect for service restarts reloading configurations. Things like that insures consistency and efficiency.
Speaker 1: Real world automation isn't always smooth sailing though things go wrong? How does ansible handle errors?
Speaker 2: Error handling is crucial, and Ansable gives you quite a few tools. You can simply tell a task to ignore errors true if its failure isn't critical to the overall play. Maybe you're trying to remove a file that might not exist. You can define custom failure conditions using failed when maybe a command return success exit comes zero, but you know it actually failed. If certain text isn't present in its output failed when lets you check for that? Similarly changed when lets you define what constitutes a change for a task, overriding the default behavior. For more critical plays, you can set any errors fatal true. At the play level. This means the first task failure on any host stops the entire playbook run immediately, or you could use max fail percentage to tolerate a certain percentage of host failures before boarding the level of control. Pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: Okay, that covers playbooks in their advanced features. Pretty well, Let's talk about common system administration tasks. Managing files must be a huge part of this.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely. The guide covers a whole suite of modules for file and folder management. There's the file module itself for setting permissions, ownership, creating directories, deleting things, creating sim links, archive and unarchive for handling compressed files like tarballs or zips. A symbol is cool It lets you build a configuration file from smaller fragments or template parts. Copy you for getting files from your control node to the managed nodes. Fetch does the reverse pulling files back. Stat checks the status of a file like whether it exists, its size, etc. Without changing anything, and line and file and block and file are really useful for making targeted changes within existing configuration files, ensuring a specific line exists, or managing a whole block of text.
Speaker 1: Those line block modules sound handy but also potentially fiddly. If they can fig files complex or changes.
Speaker 2: Format they can be, and that's why for managing entire configuration files, templates are often a much better approach. Templates use the Gingitoo templating engine. Just like variables. You create a skeleton config file say engine x, dot COMF dot J two. Inside you mix static text with ginga two placeholders for variables or even logic like loops and conditionals. Then you use the template module in your playbook ansable reads the dot J two file, processes the GINGA two parts using facts and variables available for that host, and writes out the final rendered configuration file on the managed node.
Speaker 1: So instead of editing lines, you generate the whole file based on variables exactly.
Speaker 2: It avoids maintaining dozens of slightly different config files. You have one template and the variables handle the differences between dev staging, PROD or different server roles. It's much cleaner and less error prone.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. What about managing storage discs partitions? That kind of thing?
Speaker 2: Yep, that's covered two. There are modules for managing discs. The filesystem module can create filesystems like X two four XSA fat be fat on a block device. The mount module manages entries and etcetera stab and controls active mount points. The parted module lets you configure disc partitions directly, and importantly, it covers logical volume management LVM. LVM adds a layer of abstraction over physical discs, making storage much more flexible. Modules like LVG for volume groups and elvol for logical volumes let you manage LVM setups, dynamically resizing volumes, adding discs, et cetera. All through ansable.
Speaker 1: Okay, disc management. What about running tasks on a schedule like chron jobs.
Speaker 2: Essential sissudmin task right. The ansable dot built in dot chron module handles that perfectly. You can use it to add, modify, or remove entries in a user's chron tab. Great for automating regular maintenance like backups, log rotation, cleaning up temporary files. You define the job schedule and command write in your playbook.
Speaker 1: And finally, security always critical.
Speaker 2: How does ansable help There several ways mentioned in the guide. For SSH and figuration. You might use line file to ensure specific settings are present in sisash dot config like setting max authrees, though be careful not to lock yourself out.
Speaker 1: Good warning.
Speaker 2: For managing software sources like YM repositories on red Hat systems, there's the RPM key module to import GPG keys for verifying package signatures, and the m repository module manages the actual repository configuration files in etzm dot repos dot d ensuring your systems only pull packages from trusted sources. And then there's ceslnux. Managing selenx can be complex, but it's crucial for security on many Linux distros. The guide points towards using the official Linux system dash rolls dot selnux role, which simplifies things. It helps you set the overall state enforcing or permissive manage selnicx booleans like allowing web servers to connect to the network and handle file security contexts.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so anseble really touches almost every aspect of system management. Now you mentioned earlier this idea of ensuring automation runs consistently everywhere. Let's circle back to that with execution.
Speaker 2: Environment right, Execution environments or ease. These are really central to modern Ansible usage, especially with tools like Ansible Automation Platform, but also valuable for anyone wanting consistency. They solve that classic it works on my machine problem how by packaging everything your automation needs into a container image, everything like what ansable core itself, the Ansible Runner tool which executes playbooks, the correct Python version, any Python libraries, your modules depend on the Ansible collections you're using, like ansable, dot poseis and even underlying OS packages if needed. It creates a self contained, predictable run time.
Speaker 1: And how do you build these ees? Manually? Craft a Docker file?
Speaker 2: You could, but there's a dedicated tool called Ansible builder that makes it much easier. You define the components you need base image collections, Python requirements, system packages, and EAML file typically execution dash environment dot EML. Then you run ansable builder build and it generates the necessary container file or Docker file and builds the container image for you using tools like Podman or Docker. The result is a portable e image that guarantees your automation runs the same way wherever that image can run.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you have these consistent EES, how do you actually use them day to day? Especially for development and running playbooks.
Speaker 2: That's the job of automation content navigator, usually just called ansable navigator. Think of it as the modern interface for interacting with Antsable, especially when using EES. Is both a command line tool ansable Navigator run my playbook dot iml, and a text based UI TUI you can navigate. When you run a playbook with ansable Navigator, it defaults to using a specified execution environment as its run time.
Speaker 1: So it runs the playbook inside the containerized EE exactly.
Speaker 2: It ensures you're using the precise versions of ansable collections and dependencies defined in that EE. The TUI is also great for exploring. You can browse your inventory, look at the configuration, view detailed output from playbook runs, even look up module documentation, all within the context of the EE. It's really become the standard way to develop, test and run ansable automation consistently, and it's a key part of that rhce X two ninety four exam we talked about earlier. You need to be comfortable using Navigator.
Speaker 1: What an incredible journey through ansable seriously, from understanding why it matters that agentless approach, the power of idempotency through building blocks like inventory and ad hoc commands, the core strength of playbooks, making things reusable with roles and collections, managing errors, handling files, disc security. Although these modern concepts like execution environments and Navigator insuring consistency, you listening should now have a really solid grasp on how ansible teams it complexity, that you manage infrastructure as code, and yeah, maybe even gives your career boost in this whole DevOps world.
Speaker 2: Definitely. The authors Alex Odebueno and Andrew Block really drive home that ansable is, and I think they freeze it nicely one of the most powerful yet accessible automation tools available. Their guide truly helps unlock that potential.
Speaker 1: So, reflecting on all this, what does it mean for you? Think about ID and see again. How could truly internalizing that concept knowing your automation will achieve the same state safely every time change how you approach say patging or configuration updates across dozens, maybe hundreds of servers, could it remove some of that fear associated with large scale changes? Or consider execution environments. If your team could package and share automation that always runs predictably, regardless of individual setups or CICD infrastructure nuances, how would that impact your deployment speed and reliability? What new possibilities might that open up? Something to mull over till next time. Keep digging deeper