Speaker 1: Welcome back everybody. Today, we're doing a deep dive on something that's honestly kind of creepy. No, root kits. We're going to really try to get into like how they work, why they're so dangerous, and if there's any hope of like detecting them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Our sources this time are excerpts from a from the book root Kits Subverting the Windows Colonel, written by Greg Hogland and James Butler.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, now these.
Speaker 1: Guys are the real deal. They actually teach a black hat course on this stuff.
Speaker 2: So oh wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so buckle up because we're about to get into some serious hacker secrets here.
Speaker 2: It's interesting you say the word creepy. Yeah, there's a line in the book that just stuck with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It says the attacker is the master of his enemy's fate.
Speaker 1: Whoa.
Speaker 2: That's what's so unsettlingly about root kits. You know, they give attackers this power to operate in the shadows and control your system without you even knowing.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a little chilling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so let's back up.
Speaker 1: Okay, what exactly is a root cat? Okay, I mean, we all know it's bad news, but like, how does it actually work.
Speaker 2: So, at its core, a root kit is all about modification. It basically tricks the software on your computer into making bad decisions by changing code or data. So imagine you're driving down a road and all of a sudden, all the signs have been changed to point you in the wrong direction. Oh, that's kind of what a root kit does to your system. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's not just sneaking malware in, it's like manipulating what's already there exactly.
Speaker 2: And they can manipulate a lot. They can hide files, they can hide processes, network activity. They can even make like forensic analysis tools like the tools designed to catch them give false readings.
Speaker 1: Hold on, even the tools that are designed to catch them can be fooled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it's a little unnervous, making me nervous.
Speaker 1: And what makes root kits even more dangerous is that they're often used for long term intelligence gathering.
Speaker 2: So imagine like someone having access to everything you type, Yeah, every file you access for months or even years without you ever suspecting a thing. Oh gosh, that's the level of stealth we're talking about here.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I see why this is such a big deal. But how how do these attackers even get these rootkits on our systems in the first place.
Speaker 2: So think of your computer system like a fortress. Okay, it's got walls, guards, defenses, but attackers they only need to find one single week spot to get in. And these week spots are often like software exploits. Okay, and one of those is called a buffer overflow buffer overflows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds familiar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've probably heard that before.
Speaker 1: It is not like a coding error, it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a vulnerability that occurs in certain programming languages like C or C plus plus. And the scary part is, even if a vulnerability is known, yeah, and a patch is available, it often takes a long time for like everyone to update their systems, So these exploits, they can remain a threat for quite a while. Yeah, and that gives attackers plenty of opportunity.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, they're just kind of like waiting for us to slip up in a wait.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's this thing called a silently patched bug.
Speaker 1: A silently patched.
Speaker 2: Bug, Yeah, imagine a flaw being fixed without any public announcement. So even like security experts might not know about it. Whoa, and that leaves systems vulnerable.
Speaker 1: So vulnerabilities can be fixed without anybody knowing. That seems counterintuitive. Yeah, if we don't know about a flaw, how are we supposed to protect ourselves from it.
Speaker 2: It's a tricky balance.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, like revealing a vulnerability can make it easier for attackers to exploit it before a patch is widely deployed, so it's like a race against time.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm starting to see the complexities here. Yeah, but let's shift gears a bit. Okay, how do these root kits manage to stay hidden once the inside? How do they avoid detection?
Speaker 2: So to understand that, you got to talk about rings rings. Yeah, in computer architecture, you could picture it like a hierarchy of access. So like ring zero is the most privileged level. It's called the kernel level. That's where the operating system has ultimate control. Gotcha, And that's where rootkits aim to operate. Oh wow, above most security tools.
Speaker 1: So they're trying to get like top secret clearance.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Basically they're trying to get the highest level of clearance. Yeah, which makes them almost invisible and really difficult to remove.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, from.
Speaker 2: Ring zero, they can manipulate the Windows kernel in very sophisticated ways. Okay, they're two main techniques we got to talk about, Okay, hooking and DKO.
Speaker 1: Hooking and DKO DKO Okay, those sound like they're out of a spy movie. Yeah right, yeah, break it down for me.
Speaker 2: So imagine intercepting a phone call, okay, listening in on the conversation and potentially even altering what's being said. Oh wow, that's essentially what hooking does. It allows a root kit to intercept system calls. Those are those requests that are made to the operating system, so it can filter information, redirect actions, basically control what the system's doing. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's incredibly sneaky.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. What about DECO, So DECOM stands for direct kernel object manipulation.
Speaker 1: Geez.
Speaker 2: It's about going behind the scenes, changing the script. The Windows kernel uses these data structures called objects to manage things like okay, processes, drivers, and other resources.
Speaker 1: So these objects are like blueprints for the operating system.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it, Okay. Yeah, and DKOM allows root kits to directly modify these kernel objects, essentially like rewriting the blueprint, so they can hide processes from the task manager. They can elevate their own privileges or even falsify information that's recorded in event logs.
Speaker 1: So with DKOM, they're not just spying on the system, they're like changing it at a fundamental level, covering their tracks actively and making it look like nothing suspicious ever happen. Right, that's just mind blowing.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a testament to the ingenuity, albeit malicious, of these rootkit developers. Yeah, and we've only just scratched the surface here. Oh no, there are even more sophisticated techniques, okay that they use, and we'll delve into those next.
Speaker 1: All right, my mind is officially blown. DKOM hooking, manipulating kernel objects like these root kits are playing puppet master with our entile system.
Speaker 2: It is pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: But you mentioned that there are even more techniques, and I have to admit I'm both terrified and like morbidly curious to hear more. What else do they have up their sleeves?
Speaker 2: So remember how we talked about root kits potentially disguising themselves as legitimate drivers, right right, that's a technique called layered drivers.
Speaker 1: Layered drivers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so imagine a root kitkay, masquerading as like a harmless driver, hm, like one that controls your keyboard. It sits there silently recording every single keystroke you make.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, so it's like a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: It looks totally innocent, but it's secretly carrying out malicious activities exactly.
Speaker 2: And these layered drivers can intercept all sorts of requests, not just keystrokes. Wow, they can capture sensitive data, oh, manipulate network traffic, even control other devices connected to your system.
Speaker 1: It's amazing how they can twist something that's supposed to be helpful, like a driver, and into something so malicious it is. Yeah, but you also mentioned that some root kits can even manipulate the hardware itself. That sounds almost impossible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not as common as software based attacks, okay, but skilled attackers can take advantage of vulnerabilities in the hardware or the firmware. Remember how we talked about the BIOS.
Speaker 1: Right basic input output system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that controls the hardware during the boot process. Well, imagine a root kit infecting the BIOS itself. Oh wow, it could execute malicious code before the operating system even starts, jeez, give it complete control over the system. Wow, and make it incredibly difficult to detect or remove.
Speaker 1: Hold on you're saying, even if you completely wipe your hard drive right and reinstall your operating system like from scratch, the root kit could still be there potentially. Yeah, hiding in the bios.
Speaker 2: That's the scary part. Oh my gosh, it's like a virus that infected like the foundation of your house. Wow. And even less common, but equally troubling are attacks that exploit like the physical quirks of the hardware itself.
Speaker 1: Physical quirks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think of it like finding a secret compartment in a piece of furniture. They can hide data or code in a physical location within the hardware. Wow, making it practically invisible to like software based secure tools.
Speaker 1: Okay, now I'm officially creeped out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty well.
Speaker 1: It's like they're finding ways to hide in the shadows, places we don't even know to look exactly. But let's shift gears for a second and talk about those covert channels you mentioned earlier. You compared it to stiganography hiding a message in plane sight. Can you give me some concrete examples of how these covert channels work certainly.
Speaker 2: So imagine a company that has a strict firewall that blocks all out going traffic except for DNS requests. Okay, those requests your computer makes to translate domain names into IP addresses.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the firewalls like a security guard exactly, only letting certain traffic through the gate.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Now, a root kit could manipulate those dnt's requests to sneak data out of the network.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: It could embed hidden information within the domain names being requested. Oh gosh, or like subtly alter the timing of those requests to encode.
Speaker 1: So they're hijacking legitimate traffic. This smuggle data out right under the firewalls. Nose.
Speaker 2: That's one way to do it. Yeah. Because DNS traffic is typically allowed through firewalls, it can be an effective way to bypass those security measures. Wow.
Speaker 1: That's both incredibly clever and incredibly unsettling.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Are there any other covert channel tricks they use?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there are many. They can manipulate the timing of network packets, So imagine subtly delaying or speeding up the transmission of packets to encode data. Wow, it's kind of like setting a secret message in morse code using the timing of those packets.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating how they can twist these like mundane technical details it is, into tools for covert communication.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like they're speaking a secret language. Yeah, that's hidden within the normal flow of data.
Speaker 1: And that's what makes covert channels so difficult to detect exactly.
Speaker 2: They're designed to blend in to look like network activity.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have to admit I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed by all of this. It's like we're dealing with a phantom enemy, you know, constantly shifting, hiding, operating in ways we can barely comprehend. Is there any hope of detecting these things? Or are we just fighting a losing battle. I don't know about you, but after all that talk about you know, yeah, secret compartments and morse code hidden in you know, network packets, I'm ready for some good news.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Is there any way to fight back against these phantom root kits or are we doomed to live in a world where, like our computers are secretly controlled by unseen forces.
Speaker 2: It's not a hopeless situation, Okay, though I understand why you might feel that way. Think of it like this. Okay, we may not be able to see the wind, but we can see the effects it has. Same with rude kits, even if they're invisible, they leave traces, okay, and we've gotten pretty good at spawting thes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what kind of traces are we talking about here?
Speaker 2: So one powerful technique is called integrity checking.
Speaker 1: Integrity checking, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Imagine taking a snapshot of your system when you know it's clean, according like key files, configurations, even the structure of those critical data structures we talked about. Okay, Then later you compare the current state of your system to that pristine snapshot.
Speaker 1: So any unexpected changes could be like a red flag, exact, a sign that a rootkit might have like snuck in and tampered with something exactly.
Speaker 2: And the tools for doing this are getting incredibly sophisticated.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: They can detect even the tiniest modification, Okay, whether it's a file being added, a ridgetry key being changed, or even a single bit flipped in memory.
Speaker 1: That's pretty impressive. Yeah, but I'm guessing these root kits are designed to be like super stealthy, right, are there ways that they can like bypass these integrity checks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So a sophisticated root kit, yeah, might try to tamper with the snapshot itself ouck, or find clever ways to like mask its modifications. It's a constant cat and mouse game, of course. But we're not limited to just looking at static snapshots. There's another powerful technique called behavioral analysis.
Speaker 1: Behavioral analysis, okay, so instead of looking for specific changes, we're looking at how the system is acting.
Speaker 2: That's the gist of it, Okay, Yeah, imagine observing someone's behavior to see if they're acting suspiciously. In the context of rootkits, we're looking for unusual patterns of activity, like unexpected network connections, processes hogging resources, or files being accessed at odd times.
Speaker 1: So if a program starts acting strange, it could be a sign that, like a root kit is pulling the strings exactly.
Speaker 2: And we have these amazing behavioral analysis tools that can learn what's normal for a system and then flag anything that deviates from that baseline.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a digital detective constantly watching for suspicious activity.
Speaker 2: I like that analogy. Yeah, of course, a really clever root kit might try to mimic normal behavior or operate so subtly that it doesn't trigger any alarms. That's why we can't rely on any single technique.
Speaker 1: You keep mentioning this cat and mouse game. It feels a bit daunting, to be honest. Are we just constantly reacting to whatever new trick the attackers come up with.
Speaker 2: Well, there's always that element of reaction, but we're also getting much better at proactive defense. One of the most important things is keeping your systems up to date, patching those vulnerabilities before attackers can exploit them.
Speaker 1: Right, patching, but it seems like there's always a new update, a new patch to install. Is it really worth the effort?
Speaker 2: It's absolutely crucial. Think of it like locking your doors and windows. Sure it's a bit of a chore, but it makes it much harder for someone to break in. Okay, And it's not just the operating system. You need to keep all your applications plug in yea, browser, extensions, everything up to date. Oh gosh, they can all be potential entry points for attackers.
Speaker 1: So patching is like building a strong foundation so that those rootkits can't even get a foothold in the first place. Okay, cool, What else can we do.
Speaker 2: Another essential layer is having strong security software okay, particularly endpoint detection and response solutions okay or EDRs.
Speaker 1: EDRs.
Speaker 2: These go beyond traditional antivirus okay. They monitor your system in real time and use that behavioral analysis we talked about to spot and block malicious activity.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a security system with motion sensors and alarms constantly on the lookout or anything suspicious.
Speaker 2: And a good EDR can also help you remediate an attack. Okay, So like isolating infected systems, cleaning up the malware, yeah, and getting things back to a secure state.
Speaker 1: That's good to hear. Yeah, so we've got patching security software. Is there anything else we can do to protect ourselves? Or are those kind of the main pillars of defense?
Speaker 2: There is one, and it might be the most important of all, user education.
Speaker 1: Oh right.
Speaker 2: Many root can infections start with social engineering tricks like phishing emails, malicious links, downloads from shady websites. We need to be smarter about what we click on and where we download things from.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about technology, it's about being aware, being cautious, not falling.
Speaker 2: For those tricks exactly. Educate yourself and your team about common attack vectors and always be skeptical. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Speaker 1: This has been an incredible journey, to say the least, it has.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Root kits are terrifying. Yeah, but now I feel like I have a better understanding of the threat and what we can do to fight back.
Speaker 2: Good. I'm glad to hear that. Yeah. Remember, it's an ongoing challenge. The cybersecurity landscape is constantly changing. But by staying informed, yeah, keeping our defenses strong, and never letting our guard down, we can stay ahead of the curve.
Speaker 1: Well said. Yeah, and to all of our listeners out there, thanks for joining us on this deep dive into the world of root kits.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: Everybody, Stay safe, stay vigilant, and keep those systems patched.