Speaker 1: We welcome to the podcast, join host hoh as he discusses the riveting Netflix original series Black Mirror. Now Here he is Hoo Hoo for broadcasting from WEAPONI SAWT Production Studio B. Welcome to Black Mirror Podcast and as always I'm your host. Ho ho so HOI y'all doing I hope you're doing good?
Speaker 2: I really do.
Speaker 1: Today we're going to be discussing season six, doing a quick recap on the episodes, and then I'm going to give you my ranking from least to worst on my favorite episodes in this season. Now, before we go any further, I gotta warn you spoiler alert if you have yet to see any of season six, head on over to Netflix watch the season, and then come back over and take a list and see to this episode, because we are going to be talking about the episodes themselves now.
Speaker 2: Whenever, or I.
Speaker 1: Guess I should say, just before season six came out, about the only thing that I heard about the season itself was that they were upping the production value, maybe adding some more depth to the characters, or whatever the case may be. And I can't say as if that really held true, at least my opinion, you know, because season five. I mean, it may have been a shorter season, but it was really packed with everything. I mean, they did a really good job with that season. I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Now that's not to take away from season six, because I did like season six, Don't get me wrong, I really did. And they kicked off season six with an amazing episode Joan is awful. Holy cow. That one was a really cool episode. And I tell you why. You know, because when you you know, look at quantum computing, whenever you look at you know, AI CGI, whenever you are looking at deep fakes and all that kind of stuff. You know, the fact that they can reproduce somebody's voice, you know, a celebrity, somebody whom you know, like my voice, even they can reproduce it accurately to a point to where you wouldn't know if it was me or whether it was AI doing it. I mean, that's just that's that that just brings a whole new leve level of wow to it, you know what I mean. And you know, you look at just just everything, especially now, have you take into account you know that, especially in the city, you know that you are recorded audio visual, so much so often that yeah, I mean they would be able to do something like that, especially with the celebrity with you know, all the times that they're on camera and whatnot. I mean, they can virtually do anything they want to. You know, I seen The Mandalorian where they did the deep fake version of what was his name of Luke Skywalker, you know, making him look young like like as he was in the original series, and it was like, wow, you know, that was just that to me was cool. And you know, thinking about the whole aspect of you know, nobody reads the terms of service whenever they you know, download an app, whenever they start using the app. I mean, you never know what it is you're actually agreeing to. You know, it definitely is a precautionary tale to read that fine print, you know, read that puppy, see what you're actually agreeing to. And before you you make the assumption that, you know, my life isn't interesting enough for them to make something like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, think about it like this.
Speaker 1: You know, how often do we watch quote unquote reality TV? You know, how often do we do that We're we're intrigued by that type of content, And I mean, I mean think about it. You know, the most the best horror movies out there are based off of a true story, and so many of them out there are. I mean, you look at Texas Chainsaw Massacre, you look at you know, even the concept behind Nightmare and Alma Street, you know, the first Friday the thirteenth based off of a Chew episode based off of a true story. I mean, holy crap.
Speaker 2: You know, fat more often than not as stranger than fiction, isn't it. So I mean it's not real far fetched.
Speaker 1: That they may actually end up pulling off something like this, you know. I mean, that's just that to me was just you know, it brought a different level to this episode. It really did, atast at least for me, it did. You know, and this episode, I mean, you're talking a computer generated, reproduced world using you know, I guess quantum computing. I don't know if they really use that or not. They I don't remember them really saying. But even still, it's like, dude, I mean, you know, it's it's the amount of process power that would take all the crap, but they they reproduced it, and it was you know, one of the things that got me in this episode was it was it was layer upon layer. It was world within a world within a world, so many depths. I mean, Leonardo DiCaprio in what movie was that, Oh, I don't remember the movie, you know, where they spend the top and they're in in dream world with with different layers and whatnot. You know, I mean that just you know, Leonardo DiCaprio, each your heart out, so many different layers in this one. Phenomenal.
Speaker 2: Now, the the the portion of.
Speaker 1: This movie that or episode that really got me was you know, you've you've got a gal whom you know, is living her life and then you know, she notices on on Netflix, you know or whatever this the name of the streaming service was. It was Netflix. Come on, let's be real. She seen the title then intrigued her and you know, the similarity of the person on it looked a lot like her. Of course it was you know, Salmahek. It was a different actor. But at the same time, it was like, huh, she kind of looks like me. And she watches the video and it's like, holy crap, this happened. This is the story of my life. Holy crap. You know, I mean, I just I don't like this, you know, I really don't like this. This is ruining my life. She ended up getting fired, she loses her boyfriend, I mean, the whole nine yards. She's like, holy crap, I don't like this. I'm not a fan. And she tried to fight back, didn't she. She went to Netflix. She's like, hey, you know, you guys can't do this, and they were like, well, actually, precautionary tale to you know, read the fine print, you know, read the terms of service agreement, because what she claims she didn't do, she actually did. She agreed to let Netflix use her likeness, use her story to you know, using you know, all this metadata and all the information that they gathered in order to recreate the story of her life, and of which case she wasn't. She didn't like this. She was pretty upset about it. But because she was an individual roughly well basically powerless to do anything to change anything, she she went above and beyond, didn't she. I mean, holy crap, I mean that was just absolutely hilarious to watch this episode play out. It was so funny, very enjoyable to watch on this one. You know, it really was, you know, and she figured that if she couldn't do anything, maybe salmaheat could do something, so she felt that, you know, the best way to go about doing would be to well do some things that Salamahek would not like and get her ticked off in the process. That's where this episode went phenomenal. And then you find out it's a similation within assimilation, within assimilation several layers deep. So the question I got for you is, you know, how close do you think we are to being able to utilize this technology, this type of technology, how you know, with CGI, with deep fake, with being able to recreate accurately and realistically somebody's voice.
Speaker 2: I mean, how far away do you think we are?
Speaker 1: Because I quite honestly think that we're We're probably there more so than what we would want to give credit to that. Yeah, they could do this, if they really wanted to, they could probably do this, you know, I mean maybe not necessarily a full on you know, it looks and acts like reality, but like definitely in an aspect where you're making like a you know, with with CGI, like a live action cartoon type of a thing, you know, like a like a realistic type of a video game, you know, recreating it on that level though that one I can see more so than it actually looking real. But at the same time, who knows, you know, So, how how far away do you think we are something like that?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Do you think we're pretty close to it? How many years away do you think it is? Five years, ten years, I don't know. And if you were in jones shoes, if one day you turned on Netflix, then you've seen a new series that was the story of your life, how would you feel about it? Would you be man? Would you be upset? Would you be ticked off? You know?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 1: Would it ruin your life? And what would you do in retaliation? Would you do what Joan did? I mean, holy crap? I mean I for me, it was like it was like, dude, yeah, I can see me doing that. I know how I am. I've met myself. I'm a little on the cuckoo side. I'm a little crazy, I'm a little unhinged. I would do some crazy stuff to get back and make somebody mad. Absolutely, I could easily see myself doing that. Would you be the same way or would you try to change your behavior to make it more socially acceptable?
Speaker 2: Maybe? I don't know what would you do? Let me know.
Speaker 1: Down in the comments? Send me an email ho at Blackmair podcast dot com. Definitely, I want to know. I want to know your take. The next episode they did was Lock Henry. Now this one okay, okay, look, I'm I'm mid forties. I'm of the generation that you know, we we made the rules, right, you know, and this one it didn't really surprise me. I kind of seen it coming, you know, with the mom being involved in these murders that happened at Lock Henry, it didn't surprise me.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: The twist that I wasn't really expecting was that both parents were involved. I kind of figured that, you know, it would have been you know, the dad died because he found out and the mom killed him. That's what I was kind of expecting. That was the direction. I kind of figured it was going to go. The surprise wasn't that the mom was involved. For me, that the surprise was both parents were involved.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Now again, you know, my.
Speaker 2: Generation were the ones that we had know, uh.
Speaker 1: Oh what movie well, okay, scream, you know where they lay out the rules to a horror movie and of which case. Yeah, you know, whenever you watch enough movies, when you watch enough TV series, you kind of pick up on the rules, right, you know, you because they all follow the same basic pattern, the same basic plot line. I mean, granted, they all put their own spin, they all put their own twist, but it's still a lot the same pattern. You know, A romance follows a pattern, A comedy follows a pattern, A rom com follows a pattern. A horror, suspense, thriller, they all follow a pattern. An action movie, they all follow a pattern. And once you know the genre of the movie you're watching, it's it's really easy to kind of predict what's going to happen. But we had movies like Scream where the whole point was to break the rules. We had a lot of different things where it's like, yeah, it established the rules, the rules were made clear, and yeah, so I mean Lock Henry really didn't do a lot to surprise me, but they still did a pretty good job with it. They really didn't, you know. They they added their little, their little version to it, their little twist to it. You know, because you had a son and his girlfriend, Davis and Pia. You know, they're going back home. They learn or at least the paya pia, however they pronounce it. I don't even remember, you know, they they find she finds out about this story and she's like, oh, we should do a documentary based off of that for their their class, their taking of course they're taken in college and going through the whole thing, doing the research, finding the VHS down in the basement, finding out that the mom and the dad were involved in it. Holy crap. I mean, it was just it was neat what I mean it was. It was a good episode. I liked it, you know, I really did. It was a good episode. Then you had Beyond the Sea, and holy cow, this episode was on a whole new level. Now again, I want to ask you because anymore, like I said, we don't really have science fiction anymore. It's more of science fantasy, you know. I mean with the advancements in robotics, I mean, how far away do you think we are from the aspect of you know, having life size, life like robotics, you know, I mean you look at where where robotics is at what the newest robot that Tesla released, I mean, holy crow, that that thing is. You know, between have you seen the movie I Robot with Will Smith? You know, you have the older robust that they're getting rid of and then the newer robusts that are more you know, the facial expressions, more lifelike, you know, they move a lot better, you know, And you got the new Tesla robot. I don't remember what the name of the robot was, but you had that new Tesla robot and it's kind of in between those two robots on I Robot and it's like, huh, I really hope that that Elon Musk does a much better job with the three laws than what they did in that robot, you know, just saying, just throwing out out there. So how far do you think we are away from actually being able to make robots that move, walk, talk, can do that, you know, replicas like that?
Speaker 2: How far away do you think we are? Five years, ten years?
Speaker 1: That wouldn't me personally? I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I really don't. And then you have the other aspect of the show of being able to you know, transmit one's consciousness and being able to you know, get the tax tile sensations of the robot that you're in. How far away do you think we are from something like that? Because that's the one that would be awesome. I mean, it really would be, especially whenever you're looking at the scenario that they use it, you know, having it to where as somebody who is away from home long periods of time, like space travel, that they can still go back home, transfer their consciousness to a replica, to a robot back home, and still be able to live their life as if they never left, like they're just going to work. How awesome would that be? I mean, the use case on that I thought was just outstanding because you know, I'm a truck driver. You know, it's being away from home, especially whenever you have a family. It's just it throws a thowse are wrenching things, you know what I mean. And it's the toll that it takes. It is not for everybody. But let's say you were able to transfer your consciousness to a replica. Well that just changes the game, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: And this story was.
Speaker 1: Pretty stinking cool because you know, I mean, I the two main characters, Cliff and David transferring their consciousness to a replica back home, still being able to live life with their family, and a let's see David. Yeah, I had to look up the name and read a B David. You know, whenever they're out in about somebody who is totally against this type of technology. You know, they followed them home and they kill his entire family, kill his replica, and holy crap, you know the dark place that David goes into, it's like, holy cow. I mean, did you feel for David's character in this movie episode? I'm sorry I keep calling in a movie. It's a mini movie, it really is, but did you feel for his character? I mean, holy cow? I mean I couldn't even imagine the pain that David was going through. I really didn't. And Cliff and his wife Lena just just trying to help out David by allowing him to be able to still even though it's not his replica, it's not his family, but still allowing him the ability to get off the space station and experienced nature and life back on Earth. And it's like, you know, trying to help him out. It's like wow, you know, no good d goes unpunished, right, you know, no good Ded goes unpunished. And then David just losing his mind, killing his you know, cliffs entire family, and Cliff more or less being stuck now with David up on that space station, no reprieve and let's see and David knowing that whenever he returns to Earth, if he returns to Earth, which it doesn't really make that one clear as to as to how long they're going to be out, or at least if it does. I don't remember knowing that when you get back you're going to jail because of what you did.
Speaker 2: You know that one.
Speaker 1: It was a good episode. It was dark though, wasn't it wasn't it dark man?
Speaker 2: So how far away do you think we are to.
Speaker 1: That kind of technology, you know, from being able to transfer one's consciousness to a replica ten years, fifteen, twenty do you think you'll see it in your lifetime? Because I don't know.
Speaker 2: On that one.
Speaker 1: I'm kinda like, I don't think so. I think that one we might be a little bit farther away from even even having replicas like that one, you know now? That one actually, actually it kind of reminded me a little bit of I think it was what season two, I think it was Season two? Yeah, be right Back, you know, beyond the Scene kind of reminded me a little bit of be right Back, the first episode of season two. But with that one, it was a whole new level of creep. I mean it really was. I mean that one was just trippy. That was trippy. Watch that one again the next episode that it was mazy Day and that one. You know, that one kind of kind of took me for a loop, you know, because I was expecting a precautionary tale on two different levels. You know, I was expecting the whole you know, the toll that it takes on somebody whom is a Papa Rozzi, that your whole entire livelihood revolves around you getting the shot, you know, something that is very important to these people doing anything that they can to get the shot. And then a precautionary tale on you know, somebody whom is a celebrity, and the toll that that would take by having your entire life right there in the limelight, with people following you around taking pictures, you know, to where you have zero privacy. But that's not the story we got, though, is it. Instead we got a monster movie because Mazie Day wasn't like just any celebrities. She was a werewolf. It was pretty stinking cool because Mazie Day, she disappears. I forget how long I'm kind of reading through the thing real quick. I don't see it, but anyway, you know, they're putting out a reward for pictures of her, and then the paparazzi gal she you know, discovers where she's at because she she spent like quite a bit of time, you know, out of the business of being a paparazzi because that happened, you know, her relentless getting the shot or she's seen something. I don't completely remember how it ended up playing out, but she got out of the biz, you know, and and but she still had her contacts. She got out of the biz. She she was going a different route. And then next thing, you know, this huge amount of money for getting the picture, she goes back into it. She tracks down Mazie day. She finds her in a hospital, thinking that it's just a hospital that specializes in rehab, but it's not trying to do the right thing and set her free, coming to find out what Mazie they really is a werewolf. Holy crap. And and you know, I gotta, I gotta, I gotta be honest with you on this. The ending was good, how they ended that episode, it was good, but I was disappointed not in how they ended it. You know that That's not what disappointed me. What disappointed me was, you know, the the paparazzi in the end, with the horrors that had just got done playing out her redirecting her her her life, choices to take a different path after seeing just how how much it can hurt you, how much it can hurt the celebrity, you know, the mental toll that it takes. With her knowing all of this, she still chose to take that picture. That one kind of got me. I was a little disappointed in her. Not in the episode itself. I mean it was it did a good job with that episode, but it was still of a man.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: So with that one, would you have taken that? Would you have taken those same steps? Would you have taken that shot if you were in the paparazzi's place, if you were in her shoes? Would you have been able to take the shot, to take the photo during something like that, in that place, at that time, would you have been able to do that? Because me, I don't know, because I mean, you know, by this time, she already had, you know, the picture that they went there to get. She already had the thirty thousand dollars, you know, I mean, in her team, her friends that went with her, I believe they had already died at this point. So, I mean, it's it was a you're not even in competition with somebody else to get the shot. The thirty thousand's already yours. Would you've taken the shot?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: I mean, I would like to say that I wouldn't have, you know, I would like to say that, But if I was actually put in that situation, I don't know. I can't. I can't answer that one. I can't answer that one. The next one, the last episode of the season was Demon seventy nine. Now, this one again, I really liked this episode. They took it a different direction than what I was expecting, because I was really expecting, you know, considering Demon, I wasn't surprised that there was a demon in this one. But with Demon, I figured that they would balance it out by putting an angel in there, you know, I really did. That's kind of what I was expecting. That's not what I got. And in all honesty, if they would have done it the way, you know, by throwing an angel in there, it just wouldn't have worked. It would have thrown the whole thing out because what was important about this episode was the existential crises that were going on, right, That's the one that was that was wow. You know because now through circumstance, there's no fault of your own. You are put in a position where you have to make a choice, a choice to either do nothing and millions of people die, or you take action and few people die. In the existential threat or the existential crisis being the you know, a crisis of morality that you know, the moral of the of the whole thing is is sacrificing the few to save the many. The moral dilemma that is being played out in this episode. Amazing episode. It really was a very very good episode, just the existential crisis, the the the conflicts that are going on within you know, the main character what was her name, Nita? Just wow, this episode was was really cool. You know, the existential crisis, the moral dilemma. What would you have done if you're in a situation where it is that choice to take action sacrificing the few in order to save the many, because if you do.
Speaker 2: Nothing, the many dies.
Speaker 1: If you if you take action, then it's the few. Which would you do? Would you be able to sacrifice the many in order to save the few, because in this one, you know me, it's an aspect of you know, there's no there's no good You know that there's the lesser of two evils, but there's no good choice because if you don't do anything, you're making the choice to do nothing, and of which case many people die. If you take action, you have to put action to a decision and make a choice, and that choice will end up ending the life of a few or one. However you want to put this dilemma, and in the episode it's a few, Huh would you be able to do that?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Now, again, logically speaking, I would say absolutely, you take action, you sacrifice the few to save the many. Absolutely, logically speaking, that's the only right answer in this. But whenever it comes time to put actions to words, would you be able to do it? Which do you think would be the decision you should make? In which decision do you think you would be able to make? The two questions in on that one. So, now that we've gone through and we've discussed every single one of the episodes through those in there re asking the questions, let me ask you this, how would you rank these episodes, all five of them. Where would you put them?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: For me?
Speaker 2: Number five I had to put in.
Speaker 1: Is lock Henry? All right? Episode what two in this season?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Lock Henry? You know, I just it was a good episode of really was and this okay, let me put this one out there, because every one of these episodes were really good and like in all honestly, I had to start off with number five instead of going from you know, whenever I wrote this list out, instead of going from favorite to least favorite, I just kind of, I mean, it was kind of a toss up in several ways. Lock Henry just ended up being number five because of all the episodes, this is the one that surprised me the least. It was. You know, it was just too predictable.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: That's not to take away from the episode itself, because it was still a good episode. It's worth watching, but there wasn't really any surprises in it. Nothing that just whoa, you know, there wasn't any of that, you know, good episode, but it just wasn't whoa kind of it.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: But that's about it, you know. So number five for me was lock Henry. Number four was Mazy Day. Now, don't get me wrong. This this episode was phenomenal. You know, they really did a good job with it. I liked the storyline, I liked the twist that they threw into it. But I had to rank this one at number four. Maybe you disagree, maybe you agree, but I had to put this at number four because Demon seventy nine, that one was the one that, you know, with the existential crises, with the absolute moral dilemma that they threw in their multiple moral dilemmas they threw in there, that's the one that I mean, that one is truly a solid number three. I really liked that episode, I really did. And the number one spot, we're skipping number two because then it wouldn't be a surprise which one's number one, So the number one position goes to Da Joan is awful because this one, you know, it was more in the realm of science fantasy, not science fiction. With the advancements that we have had in computers, in computer processing, with quantum computing, with deep fakes, with you know, with being able to recreate recordings and and everything else, in order to make something like this, I mean, this one to me just seemed like it was well more within the realm of possibility than what any of the other episodes in season six had. I mean, it's just the possibility in this one, and they you know, just just throwing the you know, the technology into it with with how over the top some of these you know, some of the scenes were it were it had that comedy factor in it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was just it was overall an.
Speaker 1: Excellent episode on multiple levels.
Speaker 2: This one was.
Speaker 1: An easy number one, bringing number two to Beyond the Scene. Now Here's kind of the thing though, I mean, two, three and four on my rankings, you know, two being Beyond the C three Demon seventy nine, and four being Mazy Day. It was really close on all of those. I mean, I gotta be honest, it was a really tough decision.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I think the middle one kind of went to seventy nine, Demon seventy nine. The number two slot was was kind of more of a toss up between Beyond the Sea and Mazy Day because you know, two, three and four was just it was a difficult one, It really was. It really was. You know, So let me know where you thought these different episodes ranked. Let me know, let me know down in the comments. But the best way to do that would be to email me ho Ho at Black Mirror Podcast dot com. Feel free to do that, and also let me know those different questions that we asked throughout the episode. Send me those responses over to ho Ho at Black Mirror Podcast dot com. I want to know what you felt. And yeah, so there you go. Let me go ahead and get a quick drink. Holy crap. Hm, oh that's good coffee. That really is That is good coffee.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: So I've been doing a lot of work on the website.
Speaker 2: I have you know, the.
Speaker 1: I have it set up, it is done, it is finished, you know, uh, Black Mirror podcast dot com. And of course the email because that was shut off there for a while. Something happened with that. I didn't even realize it that the whole thing was shut off, and I, you know, I had no clue. But it is up and going again. So if you send emails to me Hoho at Black Mirror Podcast dot com, I'll get them now. Fantastic And I have gotten some emails and it's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: I'm working on the discussions in there. I've gotten quite a few of them done. I think I am in season. Do do do do no. I got the Waldo moment, I got that, I got no dies, I knows dive. We got plenty of tests. I'm in season three. The last episode that I have in there is San Junapiro. I'm working on Men Against Fire and then moving on from there. So if for seasons one and two, and then the special that they did in twenty fourteen, and then on up to episode four of season three, head on in there to the discussion board. It's worth the read. Let me know the comments are opening all of these so it is an open discussion, it really is. I want y'all to have fun, fun with it, because you know, I do this for you, you know, I mean, granted, I'm I love psychology. I really do the human factor in all of it, you know, because, as I've stated, Black Mirror to me is you know, it's it's interaction, right, It's it's how people interact with people. It's how people interact with technology, and it's how people interact with people through technology. There's so many different things that they throw in here, with the existential crises, the moral dilemma, the you know the possibilities of of us using the technology they are talking about in the episodes. It's it's a Holy Colt kind of thing. But I want this to be interactive, I really do, you know, because it's it's it's interesting to me, and I hope it's interesting to you. And I thank each and every one of you for for stopping by, for taking a listen see with the episode. And I really do appreciate it, you know. I think each and every one of you. You alls are awesome. You know.
Speaker 2: So it just.
Speaker 1: Season seven is coming out. I don't know how far into it they are. There's only a couple things that I've really heard of it. I do have some things that I'm wanting to accomplish with Black Mirror. There really is. I got some things that I'm trying to do. I don't know if I'm going to be able to pull them off. So I'm not even going to tell you what it is I'm wanting to do. But I'm assuming that I'm going to be going through season because I did recaps up to I don't even know, so I don't know if I'm going to do a recap to season six. I really don't let me know what you guys want, you know, if you want me to do some kind of a recap then then let me know, send me an email ho Ho at Black Mirror podcast dot com and we'll do that. You know, we might go through different discussions on it. I don't know. It depends on you. It depends on you Galls's feedback. And yeah, so there we go. All right, that is all I got for you today. I hope, hope you enjoyed the episode. Until season seven, thank you for listening to the Black Mirror Podcast. If you would like to join the conversation, you can comment on this episode at sprinker.
Speaker 2: Dot com or go to the ho host Show dot com
Speaker 1: Forward, slash form, and the discussion board for this season