Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday grind, ever dream of a life of romantic adventure, want to.
Speaker 2: Get away from it all. We offer you.
Speaker 3: Escape, Escape, designed to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You are standing on the bridge of a tramp steamer, a ship captain sailing through the vast emptiness of the ocean, while on the deck below you, the crew, a desperate gang of cut fruits and murderers, are waiting for a signal that will give them your ship and bring you your death.
Speaker 3: Listen now as Escape brings you Anthony Ellis's exciting story The tramp Am.
Speaker 2: What a stinker you can smell a rotten cocks for me? What a stinker?
Speaker 4: You'll sail like a ruddy ace tag You know that, Art, Jesus, what we've been looking for.
Speaker 5: Goudy pet knots with the wind behind it. If she don't blow up, I don't like it.
Speaker 4: There was six thousand tons of the ugliest tramp I'd ever seen. The paint was scaling off her plates, and you could see the patches of rust in the pug and mystery loomed over. It's dark in the night. We stood on the Liverpool Duck Goudy Winkle Jones and me and we sized her up. Yes, that's what we've been looking for, all right.
Speaker 6: Where's she bound? Then?
Speaker 4: Care when you find out that the papa bit a go? She short ended on crew too.
Speaker 7: What's her cargo?
Speaker 4: What we've been waiting for? Scrap go Skipper's name miss bled. He should be easy. He drinks too much all the time. You know the can he was in the pub doo.
Speaker 7: I still say she's too bloody slow, scrap.
Speaker 2: Iron and her old and no, Winkle Winkle, you're a worry of it.
Speaker 6: Sweat you want? Why don't you leave the thinking to Art and me? H? I think? Do you think she'll do art?
Speaker 2: She'll have to do. He might not find another for months and then we'll lose the deal.
Speaker 6: They're all they're all arm with you.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm with you too, but but I don't like the looks her in that straight, ruddy black hippopotamus.
Speaker 2: You'd be safer doing the black than this.
Speaker 6: Hope it choke. You're getting milky, winky Jones.
Speaker 5: I ain't milky, use milky you're calling me milky? But Gary Ross, Eh, God, your little.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: What's the lad, But I'm going back to the pub. You boys wait at the hotel. I'll get things lined.
Speaker 2: Up with a skipper.
Speaker 6: Think o, think you take it home.
Speaker 4: I told you he's short handed. He'll take us on. You get your stuff packed. I'll see you later, rock Jump.
Speaker 2: I walked up the road to a walloper called a jug.
Speaker 4: Inside were seaman mostly and the rest a lot of dirty muck.
Speaker 6: From Knoxst A Dodos.
Speaker 4: I spotted the Captain Blee sitting in a corner, dipping his yellow mustache in a mug, and, after igot my own pime, I.
Speaker 6: Walked over to him.
Speaker 2: It was well cammed, I could see that.
Speaker 4: I'm a little sure, captain, Captain Blee, aren't you skipper of the lace Winger?
Speaker 6: We're at the ducks er he please find if I sit down, don't mind? Who are you?
Speaker 2: Alf r Ginnys Captain? I want to talk to you about shipping on on the lace Wing?
Speaker 6: What for? I need a birth? I heard you were short handed. It's a dirty life for a compliment. Oh oh, I must have made a mistake. What your game me? I don't follow you. You're trying to hop the twig?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm clean with the police, captain, if that's what you mean? Now, they're not after me?
Speaker 8: And why do you want to sign up with a blast of brethren's cow like the lace wing.
Speaker 4: That's like I said, I need a birth got me papers second off is on my last ship.
Speaker 8: Let's see ah Forrginny's.
Speaker 6: You ain't take them?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 6: Well, am I highed? How old are you?
Speaker 2: Thirty four old?
Speaker 6: I am?
Speaker 2: Now I'm sixty.
Speaker 8: I'm sixty and I'm hold around a bill stinking.
Speaker 2: Slush of rubbish like the last wing. Now what that means?
Speaker 8: I might have had a cunader, but I ain't. I'm a failure and I'm drunk. You sign up somewhere else and pillar or jobs at job.
Speaker 6: I'm killing you.
Speaker 8: I need a man like you. I need a first off, second and or third. I need a chief inch of blood in here. And I'm going to settle for scrapings.
Speaker 2: That's what I always get, scrapings.
Speaker 6: Go and clear out.
Speaker 2: I still want to sign on. Are you your band barankuya? No bonus? No bonus in my ship owner doesn't.
Speaker 6: Believe in it.
Speaker 2: Dirty Doug. Oh, that's all right. You'll have leascus and mugs under you.
Speaker 4: I'm used to it. I've been around on the sea. One man's the same as another. Yeah, you a fool, but I need a mate. Yeah you want to hire them in? We shot eighteen and the page not worth a bunnyon.
Speaker 6: I'll get him.
Speaker 8: Sail at six in the morning. All right, he had a fool, don't turn up.
Speaker 6: I gotta have another point.
Speaker 2: Right, you ask you, but you stay and enjoy yourself. I'll take care ofthing's topside.
Speaker 6: What's your name?
Speaker 4: Jennings, Arthur, Jennys, Jenny? All right, Jennings, Tell that steward a man?
Speaker 2: Who you are?
Speaker 8: He's a born in the last wing named setting, sneaking little pig. Don't trust him, yes, sir? All right Jennings, Sir, tell you something. I don't trust you neither. See you're too smooth, but you're not scuffing me. See, don't forget. It was as easy as pie.
Speaker 4: Of course, it had taken her time to find the right ship and the right skipper. Yes, better than four months. We had to be sure. The most tramps these days belong to a big company. The part of a fleet. We couldn't use anything like that. It had to be what it was. The lace wing Panama Registry, a general trader that nobody else would touch, with a skipper to go with her, a ship that.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't be missed for a while.
Speaker 4: We found her. I picked up Jones and Guardian and we went back to the ship. The steward Satin was the only man aboard.
Speaker 6: He was a.
Speaker 4: Nervous little rat who looked all the time like he'd been caught doing something nasty.
Speaker 7: This will be your Kevin, mister Jennings.
Speaker 2: What did you take me for?
Speaker 5: You call?
Speaker 2: There's a Kevin has nothing for a pig.
Speaker 6: Get it cleaned out?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, sir, Sorry sir, ook I said him.
Speaker 4: Mister Gowdy is the new second officer, and mister Jones is chief engineer. That's Captain Bleeese orders.
Speaker 7: See, yes, sir, I'll see their quarters is put to rights immediately, sir.
Speaker 2: You're ready?
Speaker 9: Well better?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's all.
Speaker 7: Shall I clean up in your first set? Yes, sir, will I must say? Nice work? Oh, nice work, it's a starter. All very nice for you blokes. But me, I've got to go down in the bowels of this bucket of boggie.
Speaker 5: Chief engineer. You think I want to blow myself up? I know what their mentionence is like without even looking.
Speaker 4: You've got engineer paper and we need you down there. If you don't like it, you know.
Speaker 2: What you can do.
Speaker 6: Take no needit at winkle, he's angry. No dam What next?
Speaker 4: Well, as soon as the young man comes aboard, we'll see that he's all tucked in bed, nice and comfy, and he doesn't wake up until we're out of here. What about the rest of the crew, Well, what there is? We can manage the ones I'm supposed to. I wouldn't sign up. See that'll be the story. Don't forget it right, You better get on the job now. I'll go ashore and send a cable that we've found it.
Speaker 2: We're shoving off at six.
Speaker 4: The skipper was carried aboard by a couple of crewmen. At three o'clock that morning, he was no trouble without the world. By five the rest of the men had straggled up the gangway, and at six we ease away from the dock. Then after a bit the lace wing was burying a dirty nose in the cross chop of the Irish Sea.
Speaker 6: We were three days out of Liverpool.
Speaker 4: I got off the regular ship lanes as soon as I could, and there was no questions asked.
Speaker 2: The captain b didn't budge from his cabin.
Speaker 4: I hadn't even seen him since putting out, and I made sure that the steward kept him well supplied with whiskey.
Speaker 6: Garrety.
Speaker 4: Jones and me were having grabbed my cabin on that third night, the ship was pitching and evening like a donkey with the itch. Sure, oh what a ship. Smoothed his glass out there and look at it. Oh she'll never make it. The engines runched out a nice we're pushing that?
Speaker 7: You are?
Speaker 6: Never mind that?
Speaker 2: What about the crew?
Speaker 6: Push over usual bunker?
Speaker 2: Any trouble makers in this lot?
Speaker 6: Don't make me laugh? Lot of mugs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we ought to be able to make it. Then. The important thing is to keep the radio man quiet. That'll be your job, that right.
Speaker 5: What about them engines, I tell you I've got to slow down.
Speaker 6: They won't end together. Make evening?
Speaker 2: Captain?
Speaker 6: Who are these bleaders here?
Speaker 4: Oh you were a bit under the weather, Captain. I took him on in Liverpool as you requested. Your second off is a mister Gowdy and chief engineer, mister Jones, what do you think you're doing?
Speaker 2: With my ship. Mister, any complaints I knew I didn't trust you.
Speaker 6: You're blister bleddering god things said and told me we're ten degrees of course.
Speaker 2: Now that that's right, captain, nothing more.
Speaker 6: It's not a set them back. You sail into the Indies. That's right, sir.
Speaker 2: That's where we're going, not.
Speaker 6: On my ship.
Speaker 2: That don't kill us my part. You want to blow us up.
Speaker 6: She's running too fast.
Speaker 2: Close the door, will your birth right, y'all?
Speaker 8: You're relieved, you are, mister the running loddy your fire jack here that.
Speaker 2: I put it to you.
Speaker 4: Captain, either way you lie, you go along with us and you won't get hurt. You make any trouble, then we'll throw you overboard.
Speaker 6: You know what me, I have your irons here. This is good to me. I can't pass your hand for this side. Captain.
Speaker 2: You want to take seconds.
Speaker 4: Now you come in with us and we give you a share or overboard. Now, no arguments this minute.
Speaker 6: Now I'll give you a share of knocking out.
Speaker 4: You have a look outside. See it's clear better this way off. I was afraid he might come in with empty the TV up.
Speaker 2: I didn't think he would all right, come on, breaking.
Speaker 8: Me out.
Speaker 6: To get over to the right of Jonesy.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, yeah, have a nice swim, Captain dear.
Speaker 6: Well, that's that.
Speaker 2: In the morning we'll break the sad news to the crew. Now, let's get this half back off.
Speaker 6: Of course, we.
Speaker 9: Will return to Escape in just a moment.
Speaker 3: But first, tomorrow night, Frank Lovejoy stars in Suspense's production of The Storm on most of these same CBS radio stations. It's a strange story about a man on a dance team who sets out or prove himself greater than a hurricane. And needless to say, it's a tale well calculated to keep you in suspense.
Speaker 9: Don't miss it. Tomorrow night at.
Speaker 3: The Stars address presented by CBS Radio Suspence starring Frank Lovejoy.
Speaker 9: Now back to.
Speaker 2: Escape the next morning.
Speaker 4: I called the crew together in the upper deck, a slip of paper ready in my hand, and when they quieted done, I gave them the speech. Men, I've got a sad duty to perform. Last night, Captain bleeded away with himself. Yes, he jumped overboard. He committed suicide.
Speaker 2: He left a note for me, which I'll turn over to the proper parties. When we reached Paul.
Speaker 4: Also his instructions that we proceed to Dominica instead of Balancia. Now I'm carrying out that order, and until we get to Port, I shall be acting captain.
Speaker 6: That's all you met your work.
Speaker 10: Okay, So what an actor you'd have made off? Lovely epsout You couldn't love me? Keep they swallowed it, I think so.
Speaker 2: I'm not too sure about a couple of them though.
Speaker 4: That's Steward's sudden and the bloke with the bloke with a mouthful of teeth, of the donkey man.
Speaker 6: Him looking this way. We'll all keep an eye on them both.
Speaker 4: You better get a message off to our boy in Dominica.
Speaker 6: Think the radio men will get naughty.
Speaker 2: That no reason he should. Don't you give him any call.
Speaker 6: To be there? Do worthy?
Speaker 2: He looked good. It's all going our way.
Speaker 4: The ship, in a cargo of scrap was going to be worth fifteen thousand dollars to us when we took her into Port.
Speaker 6: That's the way we fixed it.
Speaker 4: Six months before Double Folks I met in Liverpool, we were to find them a ship Hi Jagger and sailor into Dominico with acado squap if possible. Then they were going to sail it out again to China, and Daddy Jones and me, well, we blow down to Argentina with our fifteen thousand and have some fun. That's the way it was, And it looked like it was going to be Stone Ginger from then on. That's the way it looked until we were two days out of port.
Speaker 6: I mean, ah, what do you want to said?
Speaker 9: Night?
Speaker 7: I have a word with you, Captain.
Speaker 6: I'm busy.
Speaker 7: It's important, sir. What it's about Captain Bleaser?
Speaker 2: What about him?
Speaker 7: Well, Sir, I hate to say this, but I don't think he met with no accident.
Speaker 6: You don't, no, sir.
Speaker 7: And seeing as how I know what really happened to him, I was thinking maybe you'd be worth a knicker or so if I kept my face shading. Captain Blee jumped over the sigh And I've got his note that says so could I.
Speaker 2: See the not Sir?
Speaker 7: I know the Captain's writing. Lot me own.
Speaker 2: What makes you think it wasn't an accident? Sid?
Speaker 7: Seeing as how I saw what happened, sir ah, And seeing as ow we'll be import in a couple of days, I wouldn't want to make any trouble for you or any of the other gentleman.
Speaker 2: Did you figure maybe something might happen to you?
Speaker 7: Oh, yes, sir, I did. That's why a friend of mine, mister Austin, he knows about it too, just in case. Now, what you do, sir is your own business, I'm sure. But don't you think it might be worth a little bit of sect to us?
Speaker 4: You're a ready fool, Siddon. You should have waited. You should have waited.
Speaker 7: Yes, ain't it you did?
Speaker 2: Murder?
Speaker 7: You don't want to Now, don't forget us in those two.
Speaker 2: We'll take care of Austin.
Speaker 7: Now look here, nobody to get nasty. I'll keep it exception, I'll mister Jenny's, I'll give you a word.
Speaker 6: Don't let me.
Speaker 2: Explosure and throw us both off our feet. Seven was first up. He got out of the cabin like a whippet.
Speaker 4: The engines had stopped, and I knew that whatever had happened was in the engine room.
Speaker 6: I got up of the bridge guard. He was already there.
Speaker 2: I read anyone down that old.
Speaker 6: Goes below, I think, so give it here here.
Speaker 4: I better get down there.
Speaker 6: Look at the crew go.
Speaker 4: We're in pretty dogs worse orb and they get or in the boats sitting an Austin.
Speaker 6: Know what happened to the captain? Games jumped in heydy, it's me odd? What happened? Does boilers fussy fire?
Speaker 2: He the shipping water like a bloody sieve. You're right, smash me on, help this cord it. They're all done in. I'll send some men. How many do you need to stop the leak?
Speaker 7: You can't stop it.
Speaker 2: There's an all six feet or more, and another behind the boiler.
Speaker 5: I'm coming up.
Speaker 6: We're done.
Speaker 9: We are.
Speaker 2: Get over to the radio, Kevin. Don't let that man send an as.
Speaker 4: Quick he's got you on.
Speaker 6: We might knock at picture.
Speaker 2: Who heard what I said? We've still got a chance after we take care of said in an Austin. If they spit it all up, go on.
Speaker 6: A horse flooding?
Speaker 2: Shall I give the other to a banger, Joe, get the pumps going. There's up of the candle, shifty with the explot and she's going passer. Get on the pumps, but get down there with them. I'll take care of the other.
Speaker 7: Will you listen to me?
Speaker 9: It's to late movie.
Speaker 2: I ran down to the radio room.
Speaker 4: We had to stop the core from going up because if there was a ship in the vicinity and it got to us before we'd put the choir down, setting the Norse and the three of us would hang in the sinking ship with a side less worry. I heard the message before I even opened that door.
Speaker 6: Stop it, I've been sending it.
Speaker 2: Sets already got an answer. I said, stop it. What's sinking? Said my judy, are not under yet? Do you think I want us all in for salvage rights?
Speaker 4: You send out that We're okay? See now you do it now, need no assistance. Sent there's a ship about twenty miles or so. She could stand by, just in case she's on her way. She is your tool, need no Assistance's gonna get.
Speaker 6: Them booked over the side.
Speaker 5: We're done for it five minutes.
Speaker 9: Not even there.
Speaker 4: Come on out here, listen to me, Jonesy. We've got to get the steward and one of.
Speaker 6: The crew men, Austin.
Speaker 2: They've twigged we've got to do it before we leave the ship.
Speaker 9: Now, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 6: Shoot him in front of the crew. We wouldn't stand a chill.
Speaker 2: Or say to us up, let's get off to see your tab.
Speaker 5: The chance out there and I want a boat around until we've taken care of those.
Speaker 2: Now listen, you do what you want.
Speaker 9: So I'm clearing out now.
Speaker 2: I told you them engines wouldn't stand it. Well they haven't.
Speaker 9: Now I'll take me chances.
Speaker 2: With the law, but not here. She bring to the blue hole a little side. Come, I look it out. I'm I bed that shit. There was still a chance I could do it myself.
Speaker 4: Find Austin, find the dirty little rat Sadden, do them boating, And there was still a chance that nobody would know.
Speaker 2: I went looking for them. The tramp was listing and settling lower in the sea, and I ran from one side or the other.
Speaker 7: Then I spotted them.
Speaker 4: The lifeboat was already in the water. I saw Sittin looking up at me, pointing. Then Austin saw me. I jumped for the boat and I missed. She pulled away from the side.
Speaker 6: Wait you wait, what city.
Speaker 2: Is gonna turns it? Freeling? There?
Speaker 7: You know it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Please the lord, Now use a hand with you.
Speaker 6: Oh let's have trown. You're cutting kill me.
Speaker 2: No, don't get me out.
Speaker 4: You'll make a confression seeing all these other psist witnesses.
Speaker 2: You confess, you confess now, or.
Speaker 5: You can swim for it.
Speaker 2: Why I did what that?
Speaker 7: That till what till?
Speaker 6: Before I killed the captain.
Speaker 2: Killing the mother to what something here?
Speaker 11: Yes, all right, I'm very pretty alright thirty.
Speaker 2: Solder along like a tall I'm all smiled.
Speaker 5: And the first time I saw it, the very first time, I knew that tramp was a stinking knew the men were no bloody good Oh.
Speaker 6: Shut it off, shut it off, winkle. Wait, Oh, what lovely grub? Wasn't it.
Speaker 2: All right if you like jail grum.
Speaker 10: Which I had some vile beans my stomach Sir, Yeah, I don't have to worry about that for long.
Speaker 2: It's all right for you.
Speaker 7: Bert Gaddy, ain't your stomach?
Speaker 2: I should have known.
Speaker 7: Better than to strew up to a couple of half white mugs like you.
Speaker 5: Fifteen thousand dollars first time I saw that ruddy scale.
Speaker 2: Come over, Jonesy. I want to get some sleep.
Speaker 6: Always complain, always complain, odd, Ain't it wicked? When you think we're all going down to the same place and you'll be there along with us.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you, Bud, it's helpless. You'll complain. The ropes too tight around his neck When the hangers in the morning.
Speaker 2: What do you bet y?
Speaker 3: Escape has brought You the Tramp, written and directed by Anthony Ellas, starring Ben Wright as Jennings, with Jane of Allo as Goudi and Charlie Long as Winkle. Jones featured in the cast, where Tudor Owen, Alec Harford, Lou Krugman, and Charles Davis. Editorial supervision is by j On Meston and the special music for Escape is composed and conducted by Leith Stevens.
Speaker 1: Next week, you are standing in a darkened room in the heart of Russia's dread Lubianca prison, your mind tortured into blankness, while across the desk.
Speaker 2: From you, happily smiling at you, is the.
Speaker 1: Chief of Russia's secret police, who intends to drive you to insanity, go to death.
Speaker 3: So listen next week when Escape brings you John Dayner's exciting story The Man with a Steel Teeth?
Speaker 9: What's new with Our Gale?
Speaker 3: Sunday following the latest case Perry Mason, Are things more complicated for young Doctor Malone? Confidentially Aunt Jenny's in the midst of a mighty unusual story. There's a world of entertainment awaiting you every weekday in the daytime with CBS Radio's roster.
Speaker 9: Of wonderful dramatic serials.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow, listen in again and follow the latest and lives of these familiar people. This is Roy Rowan speaking, and remember Daytime is a Gaytime with Arthur Godfrey Time every day on the CBS Radio network