Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by La Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talking Back, David Basse.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse live at Chase Field. After the Diamondbacks blow the Dodgers out in Game three of this four game series by a final score of fourteen to three.
Speaker 3: Phone lines are open on this Labor Day weekend.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Arizona wins, San Diego wins, and the Dodgers are now five games ahead of both of those teams in the NL West. It was an ugly second inning in the Diamondbacks eight run second for the Dodgers, and Justin Robleski, obviously, when he was allowed to stay in that game, you knew Dave Roberts was trying to get him through that inning and get him as deep into the game as possible. You have to give Robleski credit because even with that eight run second inning, he lasted until one out in the sixth inning. Arizona scored one more in the third inning on a solo home run. By Huguenio Suarez and then another in the sixth inning, but all in all, after that eight run second inning, Robleski was able to hang in there and give Dave Roberts what he was looking for. Not too many times are you going to see in a baseball pitcher's line score five and a third innings, ten hits and ten earned runs. By the time it gets to that point, he is long gone. So a very unusual pitching line for any pitcher in Major League Baseball. You don't see that in games usually. And just to let you know how shocking today was, it's the most run scored against the Dodgers by Arizona twenty fourteen. That was an eighteen to seven win over Kershaw and the Dodgers. And this was the second most runs the Dodgers have allowed all season long. They gave up fifteen in South Korea to the Padres on March twenty first, so basically this is the most runs they've given up all season long here in the United States. And very frustrating day for a number of different reasons, because of the first game of this series, the Dodgers using seven relievers and winning that game, but that compromised.
Speaker 3: The bullpen the last two days.
Speaker 2: Luckily for the Dodgers, nobody claimed Brent Honeywell and he went to Triple A last week he was available to be called up. He pitched yesterday and the Dodgers were able to call up Ben Casparius for his major league debut. He turned out to get his first major league win, pitching in the eighth inning. But this was not something the Dodgers, where I wouldn't say, able to do, but willing to do, to compromise their bullpen, even as Robleski was getting ripped apart in that second inning for eight runs, including a home run by Randall Gritchik to straightaway center field, as that over hang jets out four hundred and thirteen feet away. Eight six six nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. I will say this. I understand where Dave Roberts is coming from. He explained it perfectly clear after the game that we played on the Clubhouse Show. But what I will say is I thought it was too soon to pull Freddy Freeman, Mookie Betts, and Taoscar Hernandez. There were forty six, two hundred and seventy eight here at Chase Field. A lot of you came from Los Angeles to cheer on the Dodgers, and you know, c Otani, see Mookie Betts, and see Freddy Freeman. Taking those guys out in the third inning maybe to me was a little bit too soon. There's no harm in leaving those guys in for at least five innings, six innings at the most, and you still get them off their feet. And don't wave the white flag to the rest of this crowd because yeah, you're down eight to nothing after two innings. But we saw the Dodgers score eight runs yesterday, and we saw the Dodgers score ten runs the day before. You're telling me, if you leave Freddy Freeman, Mooki, Bets, and taoscar Hernandez in there, there's not a chance that you may score at least six or seven runs to make this interesting. So to me, I would have left those guys in for those reasons. Give the fans what they paid for. They want to see Mooky, they want to see Freddy, they want to see Otani. Otani's a dh Freddy and Mooki play out there. I understand Freddie is still dealing with a micro fracture and his right middle finger. But what's two or three innings going to do for him? You could have left him in for at least two more innings. So that's the only thing when you're in a blowout game like this that you know you want to give the fans what they paid for, and that's the superstars of the game. Eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to the phone. Sergio in Azusa. You're on Dodger Talk with David vas Say, Hi, Sergio.
Speaker 4: Hi, David. Uh you know the question I have for you. I totally agree with you that he could have like slowly pulled them out. But when you see these sideway numbers and you hear about these stadiums having humidifier human doors for the balls, I just start to question, does the MLB check that? Is that something that can be askewed? You know, I don't know. I just I'm very suspicious of that. Give me your thoughts.
Speaker 2: Well, what are you saying the base balls were not humidified? There jump out of the ballpark. A lot of that had to do where Justin Robleski was pitching those baseballs.
Speaker 4: I get you, But what if those baseballs are affecting his curveball or the way his breaking ball is breaking, and they're bounding off.
Speaker 3: It's an eight run second inning, Sergio.
Speaker 2: They were tattooing the baseball, and even Jose Motor was telling me he may have been tipping his pitches.
Speaker 3: So that's also part of the equation.
Speaker 2: These days in baseball, it's not whether or not the baseballs were cooked enough in the humidifire or not. I will concede this, Sergio. There have been some players that told me they have noticed the baseball jumping more since the All Star break. I don't know what that means. I don't know if that's their perception or their reality. But there is something to what you're saying. But that's not the reason why Justin Robleski gave up eight runs in the second inning.
Speaker 4: Gotcha, gotcha? Okay, all right, thanks for your input.
Speaker 3: All right, Serge, thank you for your phone call. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look with how ugly today was, and everybody wants to try to win every game, but it is a long season and it was unfortunate Kershaw came out of the game after one plus innings and forced Dave Roberts to use seven different relievers in the first game of the series. But those are the cards the Dodgers were dealt with, and they're trying to manage this series as best as they can. What I will say is the silver lining in all this is the Dodger offense was able to score ten runs in that first game. If the Dodgers lose that first game, I feel like this entire series is much different, and the feeling in that Dodger clubhouse is much different because if they lose that game, not only do they lose the first game of the series, but they also used a lot of their high leverage relievers that haven't been available the last two games. So for me, winning that first game somehow, some way, with the injury to Kershaw and those seven relievers being used, I mean that was monumental with not only this series, but maybe how the rest of the regular season shapes up, because if the Dodgers lose that first game to Yesterday, they're in a tough spot. I mean, that's a real tough spot. If you lose the first game and are limited to Brent Honeywell and Ben Casparius to come in after your starting pitcher, who was Gavin Stone, who was a little rocky early in the game, but did retire the last eight batters he faced. But nonetheless keep in mind how vital that first game was eight six six, seven, two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to La Charles. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I kind of wonder forecast the foreshadow. You know, I really feel like the Dodgers have the pieces, just got to figure out that equation of getting to the seventh innings with some fresh arms. I wanted to get your take of, like, you know, what they could do to intentionally manage that. Staying with your themes of too soon, you know, maybe it might have been too soon letting Yarbrough go. He's the type of person who would be really nice to come out give us those three innings whenever we need it, kind of give people that release, and you know, just using the pieces that we have. You know, I look to that the Royal teams back in twenty fifteen, you know, just getting getting to their fresh arms in the seven days and ninth and I feel like we can get to that recipe, you know, and managing, you know, without Dave Roberts and everybody intervening. And then last thing, have feeling for this front office because it was really supposed to be plug and play with our starting pitchers, you know, Miller Dueller coming back, Dustin May, et cetera, et cetera. So looking at things they can kind of with some to.
Speaker 5: Get this coach.
Speaker 2: Well, I wouldn't necessarily say Walker Bueller and Dustin May were plugging play automatics at the beginning of the year, Charles.
Speaker 3: If Dustin May.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately doesn't have that uh accident with his esophagus, he's not able to pitch and pitch out of the bullpen until today September first, and Walker Bueller's coming back from two elbow surgeries. So to me, those were not automatics. And as far as Ryan Yarborough goes, yeah, it would have been ideal if he could have duplicated his season from a year ago. But the Dodgers were using him that way and he was giving up runs. So that's the reason why they went away from him and brought in Brent Honeywell, who's been much better in that role.
Speaker 3: He did that yesterday.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much for your time and taking the call.
Speaker 3: All right, Charles, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Here's a question for you that I've been asking a few different people around Arizona today. Who is the better matchup for the Dodgers Because the Dodgers are going to play the winner of the Padres Diamondbacks Wildcard Series in the NLDS this year if things remain the way they are right now with the Dodgers being the number one seed in the National League. And I don't see any reason why that wouldn't happen for the Dodgers to finish with the best record in the National League. So I go back and forth on this. The Padre strength is their bullpen. The Diamondback strength is they're starting pitching in their offense top to bottom. To me, they have a much deeper lineup, especially when kateel Marte and Christian Walker and Gabrielle Moreno are in the starting lineup. To me, this is a better team. The Padres are a very emotional team. They can ride momentum and they can shorten the game with their bullpen. But I'm not sure, especially in this ballpark. The diamond offense isn't better than the Padres. And if the Dodgers have Glass now and Yamamoto starting a series, I would say the Dodgers have a very good chance of beating any one of those two teams. But nonetheless, those teams have given the Dodgers the most trouble this season. They have seen the Dodgers more than any other teams. The last couple of years, those two teams, the Padres and Diamondbacks, have each taken the Dodgers out in the last two playoff series. So to me, that's the big question. Who is the better matchup for the Dodgers. And in case you don't know the record, the Dodgers are just three and seven against the Padres this year and are six and six against the Diamondbacks. And Tomorrow's game is a big game in the respect of tiebreaker.
Speaker 3: If for some.
Speaker 2: Reason Arizona wins tomorrow and they make this a very tight race, if they finish with the same record as the Dodgers, they would win the NL West. Let's go out to see me, Valley Jeremy. You're on Dodger Talk with David Vassi.
Speaker 5: Hi, Jeremy, Hey David, thank you for taking my call. But uh, I'm gonna have to disagree with you about taking out those three guys and blaming Dave Roberts for it. Number One, if you're traveling thereson you, you're traveling there to go see the series. Fans have already seen two fantastic games and Seasons's.
Speaker 3: True, Jeremy, the entire at all.
Speaker 2: I know people that came here just for this game, and I know people that only could afford one game of this series.
Speaker 3: That's not true at all.
Speaker 5: And it's not Dave Roberts to win us or to keep fans happy. It's up to Dave Roberts to make sure we're gonna win a world series.
Speaker 3: So you're telling me three was going to make a big differt. You're telling me was going to make a big difference of them.
Speaker 5: If one of them gets hurt, If one of them gets hurt like some one of their relievers gets wild with an inside pitch and Mookie goes down for another eight weeks, then that would be a problem.
Speaker 2: That's probably what he was thinking, But any player can get hurt at any time.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Jeremy, I understand what you're saying, and I appreciate Dave roberts Uh taking those guys out to protect them as far as any pitches getting away from a guy that had a lot of control today and Brandon fought. Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Hey, I'm just speaking for the fans that we're here the forty six two seventy eight. If I made the road trip here and this was the game, I had tickets too. I want to see a little bit more on Mookie Bets and Freddie Freeman than three innings, no matter what the score is. I don't think that's too much to ask. And I understand Dave has to keep in mind the winning and trying to keep those guys healthy. And I understand Freddy has a microfracture in his right middle finger. And I think Dave has done a really good job this year as the manager of the Dodgers. But that doesn't mean I agree with everything that he does or every decision he makes. I'm just pointing that out three more innings, two more at bats would have been fine with me. Let's take a time out here on Dodger Talk either way, the Dodgers lose to the Diamondbacks fourteen to three. When we continue, we'll bring up a player that you may see in September and why it may become a reality, and also show hay Otani threw off the mound again yesterday. I'll let you know how hard he was throwing. A lot more to come here on Dodger Talk Live from Chase Field after the Diamondbacks score fourteen runs and beat the Dodgers fourteen to three on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at amfive seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassa.
Speaker 2: David Bassey live from Chase Field with you as the Dodgers fall to the Diamondbacks today by a final score of fourteen to three. Arizona cuts the Dodgers lead to five games in the NL West. The Padres beat the Rays earlier today, four to three, so both those teams are five games back of the Dodgers in the NL West.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow will be the.
Speaker 2: Final time in the regular season the Dodgers and Diamondbacks will play each other. The Dodgers will see the Padres on their final homestand of the season later this month. September twenty fourth, twenty fifth, and twenty six will be the final three games the Dodgers and Padres play against each other, and those three games can be huge if San Diego hangs around from three to five games back in the NL West. I will say this as far as schedule goes, the Padres have a very easy schedule for totality this month. But for the Dodgers, nine of their last twelve games are against the Marlins and Rockies. After those three games against the Padres the final week of September, the Dodgers close out the regular season with three games at Corsfield. Eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to the OC. Steve, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Chase Field.
Speaker 7: Hi, Steve, Hey, Dave, Hey, thanks for taking my call hey, you know Friday, the first game was a huge win through a kerbas pardon the punt when Kershaw had to leave, and we pulled that game out. Yesterday's game was fantastic. Both of these very highly emotional, really really drown and dirty, great ballgames. And every team has blowouts. I don't care who you are, there's every team in this league has it won two, maybe three blowouts. So I think that if we have to lose one of these games, this is much easier and easier to take losing it than a one run heartbreaker in the ninth dating or something like that. The Dodgers didn't hang their head today. They fought back. I thought it was a good decision taking the three guys out because Dodger luck Man, somebody gets injured something like that. The game was pretty much done, so I didn't have a problem with that. But you know, hats off to the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: You can't live your life, fer Steve, you can't live your life.
Speaker 7: I thought that Dodgers taking the first two was phenomenal.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It's great, and they've put themselves in a position to take three out of four tomorrow. With Jack Flaherty on the mound against Eduardo Rodriguez. The Dodgers are very good against the lefties. You're going to see Keith a Hernandez in there. You're gonna see Tommy Edmond and Miguel Rojas and Will Smith who has torched leftist. So I'm very confident the Dodgers can win tomorrow and take three out of four, and if they leave here six games ahead of Arizona. I know there's still a lot more games to go, but the calendar is working against San Diego and Arizona. They would be in a huge favorable position if they win tomorrow.
Speaker 7: I'm proud of our guys, phenomenal weekend so far. Take this loss, laugh at it, spin at it, and come back tomorrow and be ready to take them down.
Speaker 2: All right, Steve, thanks for the phone call. I like that attitude. Look, I'm not that upset about this loss. You never want to get beat this way, especially to a team that swept you out of the postseason last year and ended year year. But in the big picture of regular season baseball, the Dodgers put themselves in a position to reset their bullpen today and be ready to go tomorrow and take three out of four. Even if they win two to nothing, that is going to be significant as they would have taken three out of four, and like I mentioned, leave here six games ahead of Arizona, and I would definitely take the over tomorrow considering all these games have been very high scoring nineteen runs combined in the first game, fourteen runs. Yesterday and today it was lopsided, but seventeen runs were scored, and this feels like there's going to be a lot of offense and hopefully the Dodgers can return the favor tomorrow in the finale of this four game series. Now, I mentioned today that the rosters expanded by two. Justin Robleski was the pitcher the Dodgers called up. Andy pa Has was the hitter the Dodgers called up to round out their twenty eight man roster in September. I mentioned yesterday the Dodgers have not ruled out the possibility of calling up Dalton Rushing, who has just had a tremendous season. He will be the Dodgers Minor League player of the Year, no doubt about it. And in twenty two games in Oklahoma City since being promoted from Double A, Rushing has five home runs, fifteen RBIs is hitting three toho eight with a five point fifty one slugging percentage. I will venture to say, at some point in time this month, Dalton Rushing will make his major league debut. The Dodgers will see whether or not Rushing has what it takes to be a threat from the left side to change the game with one swing. I could see the Dodgers giving him some spot starts in left field. I definitely feel like Dalton Rushing will get an opportunity at some point in time this September. So that was the player I was talking about that you may see this month with rosters expanded, that you did not see on the first day. Also, I promised to let you know sho He Otani's velocity throwing yesterday for only the second time off the mound. The catcher was sitting down yesterday and the Japanese reporters told me Otani was clocked at ninety two miles an hour throwing ten pitches in the bullpen yesterday here in Arizona. So there you go. The remarkable Otani not only leads off with a home run yesterday, he was throwing ninety two in the bullpen as he still comes back from his second elbow surgery, so pretty insane how good he is, and you know, it feels like he's not from this world, He's from Krypton. It feels like we never seen a player like that. He is just amazing, And I think we all take that for granted as well, that yes, he's still not pitched games, but he is still rehabbing religiously to come back from that second elbow surgery and then playing in games.
Speaker 3: Keep that in mind as well.
Speaker 2: Game four tomorrow Jack Flaherty ten and six with an ERA of three zero seven, going up against Eduardo Rodriguez Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at noon tomorrow with first pitch from Chase Field at one ten. That'll do it for us on Dodger Talk today. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Chase Field, Thanks to Colin Ee back at our Burdbanks Studios, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score from Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona. The Diamondbacks score two touchdowns and beat the Dodgers field goal of three fourteen to three, the final.
Speaker 3: Score in Game three this four game series.
Speaker 2: But the Dodgers are looking to win the series tomorrow and leave the desert six games ahead. Have a great rest of your Labor Day weekend. We will talk to you tomorrow at twelve o'clock.
Speaker 3: See you, j