Speaker 1: In twenty twenty three, the nation was stunned by headlines calling him the family feud killer. You see, Timothy Bleiefnick had once taken part in a game show and smiled on national television, joking that the biggest mistake he'd ever made was saying I do at his wedding. Now, that same husband stood accused of brutally murdering his wife, the mother of his three children. And this is the story of that case, a case that would turn a harmless game show moment into a massive, abusive and true crime red flag. This is the story of the family feud Killer and the murder of Rebecca Bleefnick. My name's Ben, I'm.
Speaker 2: Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: The following intended your audience. If for whatever reason, you hear a helicopter. There's one been like circling the area for like the last half an hour.
Speaker 2: It's searching for us.
Speaker 1: It might be it might be the FBI has seen our Google searches. They know what we research, and they think you know what they're up to something They're on to us.
Speaker 2: Clearly, Yeah, we've waited for quite some time, but at this point it's like, Okay, we gotta we gotta get going. And it does seem like it's gone quieter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's starting to expand. Its search doesn't know exactly where we are, just the area is going to the outlying areas of that search. So I think we're safe. A fingers crossed.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, the joys, the joys.
Speaker 1: Right, gotta love it. Any audio interference can be a lot noise pollution. It means quite the difference on just the quality of a show. We try to make it as best we can.
Speaker 2: I feel like living in a tiny home doesn't necessarily help with that either.
Speaker 1: That's true, but what.
Speaker 2: We're a lot of the outside environment.
Speaker 1: That's really true. But what does really help the actual quality of our show is signing up on Patreon and getting up behind the scenes and exclusive content.
Speaker 2: It sure does.
Speaker 1: Just like Joline Maynard, Kim Klein, Marie Alaska, Martin Mesquez, Ashley Middlestat, Dina Kost, Shannon Ingram, and Jennifer Workington did they all signed up this week on Patreon, So thank you very much, Dang.
Speaker 2: I mean, last week we had a giant list and this is still pretty large. It is. It's awesome.
Speaker 1: So we got some pretty cool people supporting the show.
Speaker 2: We sure do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you like my pre lootings?
Speaker 2: Real good? Actually, yeah, I'm quite impressed.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I appreciate it. Yeah, we have an interesting show today, the Family Feud Killer.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's not real tay, because I have not heard of this.
Speaker 1: No, it's not very old at all. And uh yeah, we're going to post a little clip on social media of this this guy, let's say, on the game show Family Feud.
Speaker 2: Okay, But I just have to say okay, because in our relationship we're like quite jokey. Yes, like I would say, we probably we easily flip each other off more in a day than we say, like I love you one hundred and ten percent. So if you were on this game show and you were like said that, I don't know if I would really like bad.
Speaker 1: And I kay. But there's a difference between doing it, you know, with your spouse. In his case, he was doing it on national TV when she wasn't even on the game show.
Speaker 2: He was there, I know. But even in public situations, we still kind of joke sometimes.
Speaker 1: But usually with friends or private conversations, not on National television. I get what you're saying, but it is still a bit different.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, yeah, I'd have to kind of see it.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm not saying that a joke like that on national TV is necessarily a red flag on its own or necessarily wrong, because do you're right? It could be the relationship, but there is still a time and place, and with his time and placement, it was definitely pushing the boundaries. Let's say that.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you ready to get into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's hear about this.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, it takes place in Quincy, Illinois, which is a quiet city along the Mississippi River where neighbors still wave across the street. Everybody seemed to know Becky Bleefnick. She was a nurse who stayed late after her shift, the woman who remembered every patient's name, and the mom who never missed a school pickup or a little league game. At forty one, Rebecca or Becky Beef Beleefnick, she built a steady life with a good job, three healthy boys, and a home on Hampshire Street that overflowed with laughter, homework, and of course, the clatter of dinner time. Chaos. I can only imagine how chaotic that would be with having three boys.
Speaker 2: I have to just say too, I love the name Quincy for a town. Oh my gosh, that is adorable.
Speaker 1: It's a very quaint name.
Speaker 2: It's so cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, her husband, Timothy Bleifnick, was outgoing and quick with a joke and proud of his family. In twenty nineteen, he even landed on a national television program, appearing on The infamous Family Feud alongside his brothers and parents. It was the kind of small town moment that made you know, local headlines. He came across on the show as witty and charismatic, a guy who could make anyone laugh, and together the two of them seemed like the picture of perfect middle class happiness. A nurse and a real cycling industry professional raising three boys in a close knit community where crime was rare and scandal was even rarer. Their home in Quincy was a place where people left, you know, the doors unlocked. They trusted their neighbors, and they greeted each other by name at the grocery store even, you know, recognizing people having those casual conversations and carrying on to bump into the person you know. Violence was sure rare, and it usually occurred elsewhere. But now Rebecca Apostle and Timothy Blifnick, as they were first known, they first met each other in university. They were two bright, ambitious students going to Quincy University. She was warm, funny, and fiercely compassionate. He was confident, charming and outgoing, the type of guy who can make you a room full of strangers become friends almost now after graduation. Life led them in different directions for a few years, but eventually they found their way back to each other, and by two thousand and nine they were married, and soon they bought a home in Quincy, the same community where they had met, and from there they began to build a life together. Becky left her career at pharmaceutical sales to raise her children, while Tim pursued his work at the recycling industry. Friends described them as the perfect pair, two people who seemed to have everything figured out. Their social media pages were, of course filled with photos of family outings or barbecues and smiling holiday portraits. They were also raising their three sons, who were born close together in age, and because of that, you know, they became the center of Becky's world. She had always been nurturing by nature. When her boys were old enough for school, that's when she decided to return to the workforce and that nurturing part of her while it reflected in who she truly was, because she went back to school to become a nurse, a decision that to her felt like a calling, and to others who knew her best, this was Becky stepping into her purpose. Then, in twenty nineteen, their marriage would be captured forever in a moment that later felt surreal. That's when Tim and some family members were selected to appear on the long running game show Family Feud. On stage under the bright studio lights, the host Steve Harvey turned to Tim and asked the question, all right, Tim, we talked to one hundred married people. What's the biggest mistake you made at your wedding. Tim smiled and paused just long enough for dramatic effect, and he replied, Honey, I love you, but said I do so I do is apparently the biggest mistake. Now, for clarity, if you do not know the show Family Feud, they interview and pull one hundred people on the streets and you're supposed to guess what the top answers would be from what they said, So not what you necessarily think it is, but what you think other people would say, well.
Speaker 2: Being that the divorce reign and stuff is so high that that might be an answer that's up there.
Speaker 1: It might be, it might be. And like, honestly, in the situation, like everyone started roaring with laughter and Steve Harvey, Harvey, he has this infamous blank stare, which honestly they feed into it on the show. They obviously ask leading questions to get answers like that out of you, and his reaction is supposed to feed the humor in the situation, right, So he kind of gave that classic like are you serious stare? And it also made this clip very memorable, and Tim quickly added, not my mistake, not my mistake. I love my wife. I'm gonna get in trouble for that, aren't I. So he was clarifying not his mistake, but he believed that's how other people would have answered. Now at the time, it was viewed as a harmless television comedic moment, one of the thousands of jokes that passed through that game show that they try and you know, get out of you to make it so humorous.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Sitting here, I'm like, that's not terrible.
Speaker 1: It's not terrible, which is why so many people laughed at the time. Why it was funny at the time. But it's the hindsight that makes it a little bit interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was that one of the answers? Though, I'm like, kind of want to know. Do you even know?
Speaker 1: You know what? I didn't look up to see if it was one of the answers or not. I'm sorry I didn't. I do have the clip. I did watch the clip, but I didn't see the actual result.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I mean they weren't focusing on that, so that's fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, years later, after the headlines and everything that mom would resurface on screens across the country. Millions watched that same clip, no longer with the amusement that they once had, but instead with disbelief, calling it chilling foreshadowing of what was to come. And they could be right, but they could have also just been that an innocent joke. Regardless, the story still goes on now. At the time, their family seemed stable, comfortable, even and ordinary. Becky was building her nursing career, volunteering for animal rescues, and earning respect from patients and coworkers alike. Tim continued his career and was seen by many as an active, involved father. Together they looked like a family in motion, you know, busy, imperfect, sure, but safe and together. The turning point in their marriage, though, well, it wasn't sudden. Instead, it was more slow and quiet. Small disagreements eventually grew into something sharp and unrelenting. Friends would later say that they could see it in Becky's posture, in the way she began choosing her words carefully when Tim was around. To many, they were still a perfect picture of a family life. But when you looked a little closer, there were those signs, those things that had begun to change. When Becky returned to school to become a nurse, Tim well, he told friends and family he was worried about her, stress about her time away from the boys. Even to Becky though, this felt more like a way to hold her back. This was supposed to be a partnership, but now things had seemed to turn into a bit more of a quiet power struggle between the two. Sarah, really Becca's older sister, remembered watching the change happen. She said Tim grew more manipulative and controlling, the kind of subtle dominance that never left bruises specifically, but it left marks all the same. Becky told her sister she felt like she was always walking on eggshells. Now, Tim didn't yell often, but when he did it was sure explosive. He would throw things, shove her, or stand inches from her face, shouting until she went quiet, shut down. But of course for every outburst, Tim had an explanation. In fact, he said that she was exaggerating, that she was the emotional one, and that she actually was, you know, the one with quite the temper.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, of course he did, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: He put all the blame back on her and instead described himself as misunderstood, you know, just a husband trying to protect his family from Becky's erratic behavior. But the reality was she wasn't erratic. In fact, Becky was scared. In September of twenty twenty one, she texted her sister a message that would later become one of the most haunting pieces of evidence in this case. Quote, if something ever happens to me, please make sure the number one person of interest is tim Holy shit. She followed it up with another one, saying, quote, I'm putting this in writing because I'm fearful he will somehow harm me, come after me, or do something that takes me away from the kids or the kids away from me.
Speaker 2: That is actually terrifying.
Speaker 1: That speaks volumes.
Speaker 2: I hate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so with things like this, that makes the appearance in the game show and the thing he said a little bit, you know, it's different context.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean it's one thing to have arguments and stuff, but to actually literally think that this person could kill you or you know, take you away in some manner. Is that's next.
Speaker 1: Level, isn't it. So what do you say when you get a message like that too?
Speaker 2: Right? I think you say that they need to leave.
Speaker 1: Well, that's kind of what she did. She did the best she could, and she told Becky to be careful, to talk to someone, reach out to maybe a domestic violence group. But Becky, like so many others in her position, kind of downplayed it. The next day. Yeah, their marriage continued its slow decline. Becky's career flourished, and Blessing Hospital, where she worked in the emergency department. At home though she faced emotional exhaustion. She was sleeping less, eating less, and confiding to close friends that she was doing everything alone. Tim meanwhile resented her and continued to abuse and control the situation. When she came home late from shifts, for example, he would accuse her of neglecting her family, and by February of twenty twenty one, Tim Bliefnick had filed for divorce, and now their marriage became a war fought on paper. Their issues were typical things like money, property, there are three boys, and who lived where? Who picked them up from school? Who got the house on Kentucky Road, all this sort of stuff. But beneath those logistical battles was something heavier, that control. Becky wanted freedom, but Tim wanted order. It even reached a boiling point when eventually they both even filed restraining orders against each other. Tim first accused Becky of stalking and harassing, even producing a cell phone video of an argument at a parent teacher night as proof. The jud Wish denied his request, though, but Becky fought back, and she filed her own petition soon after, alleging that Tim had entered her home without permission and had repeatedly falsified interactions between the two of them. The judge, though, denied hers as well. In the end, the only agreement the court made was that they must stay away from each other's homes unless they were exchanging the children. Even those boundaries in place, though well, Becky still she still had fear and it was still growing. Tim, you see, was in possession of a nine millimeter handgun, a gift she'd actually once given him when things were still good. The gun, though, was originally hers, and she'd actually asked for it back in the separation, and Tim refused to return it. The judge, even in the divorce filings, ordered him to return it, but he never did. Oh wow, the gun was still in her name that he was in possession of.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Regardless, Becky did her best pick things back up and keep it normal. She worked long shifts at the Blessing Hospital, picked up extra hours when she could, you know, trying to get that extra income and support her boys. She was even nominated for the Daisy Award, an international honor given to nurses for extraordinary care. And this was even in the chaos of all this divorce.
Speaker 2: Oh my, okay, because I have kind of thoughts. She seems like a saint of sorts.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent she does. Her coworkers adored her friend said she could turn a twelve hour er shift into a series of jokes and stories. She was the nurse who stayed late for patients who had no family, the woman who brought baked goods for her kid's school event. She was a mother who showed up no matter how exhausted she was. She was quite literally superwoman.
Speaker 2: Huh. Well, yeah, she sounds.
Speaker 1: Incredible, definitely, But beneath all that surface, she was scared.
Speaker 2: Well, I just have to say too, because being able to be that awesome when you have that much personal shit going on that, you know, it makes it seem even more like.
Speaker 1: It's it's incredible that she was able to help other people so much when she herself was suffering.
Speaker 2: When she herself couldn't need some help, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. By late twenty twenty two, her divorce was still dragging through the courts, and Tim was becoming a little more unpredictable. He seemed to know things he shouldn't, where she'd gone or who she'd seen. Sometimes there seemed to be evidence that someone had been near the house She told her sister about hearing noises outside late at night, her motion lights even flicking on outside without cause. And then Becky even confided in her sister something chilling, she thought someone was watching her. And now around this same time, she had actually started dating again. Friends described her new relationship as light and easy, the first bit of happiness that she'd really had in years for herself, but for Tim Well, it was confirmation that he had lost all control of that relationship. As the date of the divorce trial approached, tensions reached the breaking point. Becky was hopeful it would finally end, that she could close a chapter and move forward in her life. But by early February of twenty twenty three, Quincy, Illinois, while it was still deep in the quiet of winter, snow crusted the edges of driveways, and nights dropped below freezing, with Becky just feeling uneasy. For weeks, she'd been hearing those things, faint noises outside her house, you know, maybe the soft crunches of footsteps that stopped when she listened too closely, And sometimes her dog would even bark at the window, but there'd be no one there. Becky told Sarah she was probably just on edge that the divorce said left her paranoid, but then came Valentine's Day. That evening on February fourteenth, twenty twenty three, Becky's home on Kentucky Road appeared ordinary from the outside, but her neighbor, Taylor Heman, caught something strange on the security camera mounted alongside his house. At around one oh five am, a figure appeared in the frame, a lone person walking down the driveway towards the back of Becky's house. The cameras infra red light washed them in pale gray and their features were impossible to make out. Forty eight minutes later, the same figure returned, walking back in the opposite direction. When Taylor reviewed the footage, she immediately texted Becky. He told her what the camera had picked up and asked if she'd noticed anything strange. Becky, however, didn't respond until the next morning and text back, I didn't see anything, but I did hear voices in my backyard. My motion light came on. It scared me.
Speaker 2: Okay. I was worried that she wasn't gonna text back.
Speaker 1: No, he got a text back.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, like I mean that she was, you know, not alive or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, at the time, they brushed it off as just a prowler, maybe someone checking for unlocked cars looking to steal something. Right, that same camera had actually recorded what appeared to be the same figure a week earlier doing almost the exact same thing.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's that's too unsettling.
Speaker 1: It is. Now, video footage from an nearby home and from the Quincy bus depot just a few blocks away would later also show that a cyclist was heading towards Becky's neighborhood just minutes before that person appeared on that security footage in the driveway. Now that bike had no reflectors on it either. Forensic data would also later show, you know, after an investigation ensued, that on that same Valentine's night, Becky's neighbor, you know, the same time that the neighbor's camera picked up the site, Tim had made over two hundred online searches for a very specific license plate number and VIN number. Now that plate and VIN number belonged to a truck that was parked in Benky's driveway that night, which was her boyfriend's truck.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, what a complete creeper. Yeah, that's the one that initially filed for divorce, So what the hell does he think was going to happen that she wouldn't move on?
Speaker 1: No kidding, right, So it seems as though Tim had biked to Becky's house that night, seen the vehicle, written down the details, gone back home and looked them up. Now Becky, of course, never knew about those searches. All she knew was that she couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched. The nights that followed were quiet, no more movement on the camera, no strange noises outside, and no reason to believe the tension would escalate. From there. She focused on work, herself, the kids, probably assuming that whatever or whoever had been creeping around had finally stopped. Then it was February twenty third, twenty twenty three. Becky's day was just like any other. Her three boys, aged twelve, ten, and five, were staying with their father. Parts of the shared custody agreement that forced her and Tim to remain still entangled, dropping him off, taking him up back and forth. So tonight Becky was alone in her two story home on Kentucky Road outside the town of Quincy, slept beneath the heavy February chill and sometime after midnight, a dark figure appeared near the side of Becky's home. A lawn chair had been drugged to her patio and placed beneath a second floor window one of the boy's bedrooms. In fact, the window screen was pried loose and the latch inside snapped cleanly off, as if almost by practice force. Investigators later reconstructed what happened next from evidence left through the house. The intruder climbed onto the chair, forced open the window of the crowbar, and slipped inside. No lights were turned on. The intruder moved through the hallway towards Becky's bedroom with a nine millimeters pistol in hand. At one eleven am, Becky managed to dial nine to one one. Dispatch logs showed the call connected, then the line stayed open for a few seconds before it cut off. Police would later trace it, but it was too late. What happened inside that house was brutal. Becky was startled awake just after one am by this intruder holding the gun. Now she ran from her bedroom towards the bathroom at the end of the hall, but she was followed and bullets tore through the air of that home as she ran for cover in her tiled bathroom. Some of the bullets struck the walls in the cabinets, but fourteen bullets in total hit Becky that night. Holy shit, none of them were instantly fatal. Forensic pathologist later said that she was conscious for every agonizing moment, bleeding out on the cold tile floor. Her last minutes alive were spent laying there in extreme pain. Blood pooled beneath her body, splattered up the shower curtain, and streaked along the baseboards as the gunmen stood over her and fired the final shots while she was already down. When it was over, he left the bathroom, stepping carefully to avoid tracking any blood across the floor. The intruder exited the same way they came through, through the upstairs window, lowering themselves back onto the lawn chair, and left no fingerprints on the windowsill, only a faint shoe impression in the dirt below.
Speaker 2: That is really fucked up.
Speaker 1: Then they disappeared in the night.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, Well, I mean, we all know who it is, so it just makes it like even more messed up.
Speaker 1: Do we know who it is?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: Okay, just making sure. Well, I think I'm just just asking questions, that's all.
Speaker 2: I mean. Gosh, oh, it just makes it so much worse that someone can do this too, to someone who, like you know, is a mom and has these boys that you know need her.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well and this is someone who well we know who it is. It's obvious I was just throwing questions. Yeah, I was just throwing shade, just confusing you, just trying to keep you off theos.
Speaker 2: Shares these boys with her. He's taking away their mind.
Speaker 1: He built a family with her. They built this family together, they said, I do they live together. This is someone you're supposed to trust, trust the most, and father children with. Yeah, and they're capable of this.
Speaker 2: Honestly makes you never really want to get married in a way because it's so terrifying.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad we're already married then, because you wouldn't be saying I do anymore. Apparently you regret that.
Speaker 2: No, I don't regret it at all. It's just so it's so odd to think that I don't know, getting married because you we hear so many cases like this is honestly slightly putting you at risk in a way.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's well, it's not funny, it's ironic because you're kind of going in the direction that a lot of people are suspicious of Tim being by saying he regrets I do on the Family Feud show. How involved was he in the marriage, because clearly he wasn't. Maybe he didn't actually want to get married. So you're going down that same psychological rabbit hole that people are suspecting he could have been in when he was on the game show.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just saying it's scary because because you're supposed can kill you, which is so messed up.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're on the other side of the reason, but it's the same psycho logical rabbit hole of that regret, of that you know, resistance to take the plunge to say, there's many reasons yours would be. What you're saying is more defensive and protective. His are a little bit different, but it's the same same sort of path psychologically of regret thinking that you know what I wish I didn't say I do.
Speaker 2: I guess. I mean, I just have to for the record, just in case anything ever to happen. I don't regret marrying Ben.
Speaker 1: You sure about that.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I'm going to send a couple of texts tonight to some people just to make sure I have some traces.
Speaker 2: Honestly, though, like just being Devil's advocate is people, could, you know, set other people up kind of like she could, you know, in the heat of the moment, send those and them not really be true because people do send things right when they don't necessarily mean and they're just angry or whatever.
Speaker 1: Could be manipulation, false evidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now we very much so know, but I don't know or like, I'm just saying she could have set him up in a way, but I don't think she did it all, but someone could.
Speaker 1: It's in a situation it's possible for someone to do that in a manipulative manner, is what you're saying. Yes, definitely Becky didn't do it in the manipulated matter. No, And when Dawn broke, Becky's house was still in silent, her phone lay in the bathroom floor, half hidden by the door, and her boys were well, they were across town sleeping at their father's.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I'm like her boys were not in that house.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, Tim had the boys. They were unaware that their mother was already dead. At three point thirty pm that day, Becky's father arrived at her home after she failed to pick the kids up from school. The front door was locked, but he had a spare key, so he let himself in and upstairs he found the horrific scene of his daughter laying dead on the bathroom floor, something no father should ever have to see, and he immediately dialed nine one one.
Speaker 2: That would break him. That is horrible.
Speaker 1: When the first officer arrived at one seven three to one Kentucky Road, they were met with Becky's father, pale, shaking, and still in shock. He assumed he'd find his daughter had simply fallen ill or gotten called into work or something, but that wasn't the case. Detective stepped into a scene that felt both chaotic and eerily still. Upstairs, the narrow hallway was littered with spent nine millimeter shell casings, their brass surface gleaming under the camera flashes. Becky's body lay inside the bathroom door, just slumped up against the tub. Blood had sprayed across the wall and pooled alongside the tiles. Her phone was found nearby. Its screen was cracked, and the nine one one call that had connected briefly at one eleven Am. Now made sense as she tried to reach out for help in her final moments, but was unable to speak. Crime scene technicians documented every inch of that house. A broken window latch on the second floor immediately stood out, as did the patio chin beneath it, dragged from the yard to create a makeshift ladder. On the ground below, they found a partial shoe imprint in the soil, faint but distinct enough to suggest an athletic tread. Downstairs, nothing was disturbed. There was no sign of a robbery, no missing valuables, no forced entry other than the window. It was that whoever had done this knew how to get in, it seemed, and knew how to find Becky inside. The police department, detectives from Adams County Major K Squad were already comparing notes. The intruder had entered through an upstairs windows in the child's bedroom. It was odd unless he knew exactly which window would lead to an empty room that night. Becky's three sons were at their fathers that night. She was alone, so whoever broke in seemed to know that. Neighbors began recalling details too. One mentioned the motion light flicking on in the early hour mornings, and another so they'd heard what sounded like faint pomps but thought it was a car backfiring in the cold. Then came a very crucial detail. The already mentioned security camera footag from Becky's neighbor, just from a week before the same figure was now seen on camera again. That combined with the timeline from Becky's missing nine one one call, it gave investigators a good time frame and an unidentified suspect. Reporters descended on the town of Quincy. The murder of a well beloved e R nurse and mother of three in a quiet Midwestern town, and her connection to a former family feud contestant too quickly drew national headlines. News outlets replayed the clip of Tim's now infamous answer, what's the biggest mistake you made at your wedding? Honey? I love you, but said I do were played over and over on news outlets. It had been a throwaway joke in nineteen but now in the shadow of his wife's murder, it felt more sinister. As detectives processed evidence from the scene, they also found something else, something strange. It was small fragments of an all de grocery bag near the top of the stairs, and throughout it looked torn, you know, with small traces of a residue even on them. Meanwhile, Becky's friends and colleagues gathered at Blessing Hospital to grieve. Coworkers described her as the light of the er, and her sister Sarah posted a message online saying Becky was the kindest, most selfless person I've ever known. She loved her boys more than anything. She should still be here. Within hours, a GoFundMe went live to support her children in the aftermath, and it quickly surpassed one hundred thousand dollars. But while the public mourned, investigators were still zeroing in on the person who seemed to fit every piece of the puzzle at hand. Within twenty four hours of the murder, detectives with the Adams County Major k Squad began piecing together what had happened inside Becky's house. The entry point, the window, the children being away, the precise knowledge of when Becky would be alone at all. It all suggested familiarity, and investigators started with the people closest to her friends, family, and coworkers. Then they circled back to the one person whose name was under the microscope since day one, Tim Bleefnik. It wasn't just the divorce or the restraining order, or the fact that Becky had once told her sister, you know, if something happens to me, make sure he's interests person number one. It was the timing too. Their custody hearing was scheduled for the week following her death, and on paper, Tim had everything to lose in that legal battle.
Speaker 2: Oh seriously, yes.
Speaker 1: So detectives began quietly monitoring his movements as hours passed, trying to get you know, not give away their suspicions before they found anything. They pulled the footage from neighborhood cameras, doorbells, you know, business fronts and parking lots, and in one clip captured at around twelve forty five am on the night of the murder, they spotted something A cyclist riding down the dark, empty streets near Kentucky Road, no reflectors, no visible lights, just a shadow on two wheels cutting through the cold, Quincy night. Another camera, just blocks from Tim's rental home on Hampshire Street caught what appeared to be the same bike, returning roughly forty eight minutes later at around one thirty am, minutes after Becky failed her nine on one call on March first, twenty twenty three, police then executed a search warrant at Timbleefnick's home. Officers in tactical vests swarmed the property, combing through garages and the carrying boxes out with potential evidence. In unmarked vehicles and inside the house, investigators found more than they expected. Among the item sees were a crowbar showing small chips of paint and wood consistent with the broken window frame at Becky's home, all de grocery bags matching the torn fragments recovered from her staircase, and nine millimeter shell casings from Tim's basement that forensic experts later confirmed were fired from the same weapon used in Becky's murder. Now, for clarification, Tim was he was avid with firearms, let's put it that way. So the shell casings they found in his home were not from the murder scene. They were collected shells from, you know, going out to a firing range or something like that. But they were fired from that gun, okay, And they can compare those with the ones found at the scene, and it was confirmed they're from the same weapon. They also confiscated Tim's phone, laptop, and external hard drives, and when digital forensic experts came through the data, the picture grew darker. In the weeks leading to Becky's death, Tim had made a series of online searches that read like a blueprint for what was to come, things like how to open my door with a crowbar, how to make a homemade pistol silencer, how to clean gunpowder off your hands.
Speaker 2: So he was okay, he was probably using that bag as some sort of a silencer.
Speaker 1: Then I'm I assuming we get into it, but yes, because I.
Speaker 2: Was like so confused of these fragments all over the place.
Speaker 1: But that is the leading theory. Yes. There were also the searches that were related to Becky's boyfriend the license plate in the fin number searches, and investigators later determined that he had ran those on February fourteenth, the same night the Prowler was caught outside Becky's home on camera. Now more evidence came from Tim's fitness tracker. Data from his whoop device, which is like a wear role tracker, came to kind of like a smartphone sort of or smart watch sort of thing. Yep, it showed a sudden and unexplained gap in activity the night of February twenty second to twenty third, no recorded heart rate, no sleeplog, no movement data, when all other days it was all present. So it seems like he'd taken it off for going there.
Speaker 2: This guy is just a complete idiot that he thought he could get away with this, No kidding, Just sitting here listening to this all he like, are you fricking kidding me?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Now. Forensics also revealed the residue found on the Aldie bag was sweat and they had recovered a faint trace of DNA from it. Now, it was not a full match, but statistically it was consistent with Tim's profile. Prosecutors believe that Tim had fired the gun through the bag that night, either to muffle the sound like a makeshift silencer, as his search suggested, or to try and catch shell casings before they hit the floor.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see.
Speaker 1: One reason or another. They believe it was used with the weapon. Though they also examined sample evidence from Becky's fingernails and they discovered another partial DNA sample under those fingernails. It was degraded mixed with her own blood. But experts said that Tim or a male relative on his father's side could not be excluded from the sample. So neither DNA sample that they had taken was conclusive. But it was not. It wasn't able to.
Speaker 2: Rule him out right, which right there, Yes, all this other stuff is very leading.
Speaker 1: It was enough to say it's possibly him. Yeah, it seems that there may have been a desperate attempt with that DNA sample found on her fingernails to show that Becky had fought back in the seconds after she died, one way or another. Now, eight nine millimeter casing shells were found near Becky's body. Investigators compared those casings recovered from Tim's basement, which were you know, as he's a recreational shooter, and they were compared those ones to the ones found the crime scene under a microscope, and the markings on them from the firearm were identical, which means the same gun had fired both sets of rounds, the same gun Becky had once gifted Tim during their marriage, which.
Speaker 2: Was actually her gun.
Speaker 1: It was actually her own gun, a gun she tried to reclaim through the divorce. Filings, but he refused to return. Now, that gun, that firearm, that nine millimeter handgun, the murder weapon was never.
Speaker 2: Found, Okay, of course not.
Speaker 1: And when detectives questioned Tim, he denied seeing the handgun in years. But he couldn't explain why the casing that weapon.
Speaker 2: Were in his Yeah, that makes no sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, individually, each piece of evidence might have been circumstantial. You know, DNA evidence, that doesn't rule him out. Shellcasings that sure were fired from the same weapon, but who knows the time gap in between. Sure, a guy on security camera. All this it was circumstantial evidence at best, But together they formed a pattern that prosecutors described as inescapable. By the time officers moved in to arrest him on March thirteenth, twenty twenty three, the entire town of Quincy, Illinois, was holding its breath. The sun had barely risen when unmarked cars rolled up outside Timbleefnek's rental brick apartment. Detectives surrounded the property in silence, their radios crackling softly as they took position, and when the door finally opened to his home, Tim appeared in a sweatshirt and pajama pants, disoriented but compliant, There was no struggle. He was cuffed on the porch, his head lowered, and escorted to an unmarked cruiser while neighbors watched from behind their curtains in their homes. Moments later, the Quincy Police Department released a brief statement confirming the arrest of forty one year old Tim Bleefnick on charges of first degree murder and home invasion in the death of his estranged wife, Rebecca aka Becky Bleefnick, and the news spread like wildfire. Local headlines were immediately followed by national coverage. Family feued contestant charged with wife's murder, they would say. Clips from his appearance in the game show also resurfaced once again within hours, and Tim was soon booked in the Adams County Jail and held without bond. His mugshot with his tired eyes and unshaven face with his overgrown hair, became the image plastered on every single outlet alongside that headline. His attorney, Casey Schnack, stepped into the spotlight that same afternoon. She described the case as entirely circumstantial and accused investigators of tunnel vision, saying that Tim was devastated by Becky's death and that he's cooperating fully maintaining his complete innocence. But prosecutors, on the other hand, well, they were fully confident. Investigators continued to shore up their case. Forensic analysis, double check DNA results, ballistic reports, cell phone data, all of it, and now even a blue shwing bicycle without reflectors identical to the one seen on surveillance footage the night of the murder had been found less than half a block from Tim's home, abandoned. No DNA conclusively tied him to it, but there was a fake Facebook account under the name John Smith that he had on his laptop, and it showed that he had recently viewed a post to purchase that exact same bike for sale, or at least one that looked exactly the same make and model.
Speaker 2: My gosh, not surprising at all.
Speaker 1: For Tim, the reality was sinking in fast. He was facing life in prison without parole. In his first phone call, even from jail, recorded by authorities, he told a family member quote, they're making a monster out of me, but I didn't do this. He's really really saying he's innocent. Still, investigators felt they built a case that spoke for itself. The trial of Timothy Bleefnik began on May twenty third, twenty twenty three, and the Adam County Courthouse. The courtroom was packed with friends, reporters, and family members on both sides that sat shoulder to shoulder. A portrait of Becky was placed quietly near the prosecution table, her smile frozen in the soft light of the family picture. From the start, tension was palpable in the room. The prosecution, led by Josh Jones and Laura Keck, painted the picture of a man consumed by control. In their opening statement, Jones told jurors, quote, he looked down at Becky, pointed the gun and pulled the trigger. It was blunt and deliberate and set the tone for what was to come. The defense took different approach. Casey Snack, the same attorney who had represented tim during his divorce, stood at the podium and told jurors that there was no proof, no gun, no fingerprints, no clear DNA quote. This case, she said, is dripping with sympathy and entirely lacking in hard evidence. The prosecution began by walking jurors through the timeline of the crime, photos of Becky's home were displayed on monitors. The pride open window, the narrow child bedroom where the intruder entered, the blood, the shell casings on the floor, all of it. Then came the evidence that had become the backbone of their case, the all d bag fragments. A forensic analysis testified the small bits of plastic found were consistent with the kind of thin grocery bags found in Tim's home, and when magnified, burn patterns on the plastic suggested a firearm had been discharged through it. When the bag fragments were tested, the DNA came back quote more likely than not end quote to belong to Tim. His attorney countered immediately, saying everyone in Quincy has Aldie bags. She reminded the jury that Tim and Becky had even swamped grocery bags, supplies and stuff like that, you know for kids, whether it's launch or who, who knows, and DNA transfer was not unusual. But next came to ballistic experts. She testified that the shellcasings found in Tim's basement matched those found at the crime scene. Twenty seven casings from his home showed identical microscopic markings. Scrapes patterns, all of it identical to the eight that were recovered from the scene. Quote each gun leaves a fingerprint. These were fired from the same weapon. But the defense argued its own opinion subject to human error. She said, shaking her head. It's not science, it's speculation. When the prosecution turned to digital evidence, the courtroom grew still. On a projector screen, juror saw the list of search terms recovered from Tim's phone. How to make a homemade pistol silencer, how to clean gunpowder off your hands, how to open my door with a crowbar. Each phrase appeared in bold texts on the screen. Jones paused after reading the last one out loud. This, he said, is not curiosity, This is preparation. The jury also heard about the license plate searches, hundreds of them, and all linked to Becky's new boyfriend. The prosecutor suggested it wasn't jealousy but tracking instead. Friends and coworkers of Becky took the stand next, and they described her as loving, generous, and quietly terrified of her estranged husband. One friend said Becky had confided that Tim's behavior was becoming unpredictable, and Becky's sister Sarah. She was the most emotional witness there was. Her voice trembled as she read from the text messages Becky had sent her over a year earlier. Quote if something ever happens to me, please make sure the number one person of interest is Tim end quote And the jury heard that, sitting in silence shocked. The defense subjected calling that text girl talk and claimed it was an evidence of abuse or even danger. They claimed there was no photos of bruises, no police report, or documented violence, and that words don't make a man a murderer. But the prosecution wasn't relying on words alone. They had more to share, and they revealed that on the morning Becky was killed, just hours before anyone else knew she was dead, Tim had stopped by his father's home to drop off eight children's basketball hoop. Now, the prosecutors, they showed that this claimed his demeanor, his calm demeanor, his belief that the problem Becky was now taken care of. Now this is circumstantial at best. Sure he could have just bought in his kids a basketball hoop. But the most dramatic moment came when the jury learned that Becky had planned to reveal something in court. So you remember the upcoming custody hearing, the divorce hearing, and during that she intended to present witnesses alleging that Tim's father, Ray Beliefnik, had a history of perversion and abusing minor children.
Speaker 2: Oh man, now, okay.
Speaker 1: This is important. Ray denied the accusations, and he was never charged with a crime, so we don't know if that is true or false. However, prosecutors argued that the possibility of such a testimony even taking place, regardless of truth or not, pushed him over the edge. He couldn't risk the idea of potentially losing his kids and losing his children over this. Whether it was real or not, it presented a risk just the same, and that was the pushing point.
Speaker 2: I wonder how she had that information or felt like.
Speaker 1: That, you know, Yeah, I'm not sure. As I mentioned, there was no crime officially filed or charged, so I don't know what the evidence was and it never came to court either. Yeah, so I don't know what evidence, what facts anything. Allegedly that's what she was going to talk about in court, Whether true or false, we do not know.
Speaker 2: I get that a lot of this is like circumstantial and stuff, and kind of seems, you know, if they just had one piece of this, it wouldn't really be much. But the fact that they have so many, so much of it, it just really does paint like a full picture.
Speaker 1: It really does.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When it was the defense's turn, many expected a dramatic rebuttal to the situation, but Attorney Stack made a surprising decision. She called no witnesses, no experts, not even tim himself to the stand. In closing, she told the jury, quote, this is not proof beyond a reasonable doubt. It's a story told with emotion but missing the one thing that matters evidence end quote. The prosecution's closing statement was short and devastating. Quote. He planned this murder, Jones said this by pacing in front of the jury box. He researched it, he practiced it. He climbed through the child's window and shot Becky fourteen times while she begged for her life, and then he went home and tucked his children into bed end quote. After six days of testimony, the jury retired to deliberate. Then just four hours after the deliberations began, they reached their verdict. The jury found Timothy W. Bleefnik guilty on all counts.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was like, there's no other They're not going to find him not guilty. There's no way.
Speaker 1: When the word guilty echoed through the courtroom, the air seemed to collapse in on itself. Becky's family clung to one another in tears, and across the aisle, Tim stared forward, unmoving. There was no outburst or visible shock, just a slow, resigned exhale. The judge thanked the jury for their service and dismissed them for Becky's ones. It was a bittersweet victory, justice, but not peace. The man who had once shared her home, her children, her laughter had now been found responsible for ending her life and taking her away from them.
Speaker 2: Well, and also leaving the children with no parents exactly.
Speaker 1: The case entered its final chapter with the sentence hearing on August eleventh, twenty twenty three. The Adams County courtroom filled once again. Tim was brought in in an orange and white prison uniform with his wrists shackled. He didn't speak to anyone, his eyes fixed downward as he was seated at the defense table. His attorney, Casey Snack, leaned close whispered something to him, but gave no response. Before the sentencing was handed down, Judge Robert Adrian allowed Becky's family to speak. It was the first time since the verdict that they would actually address the man responsible for Becky's death face to face. Becky's mother, Bernadette, was the first to stand. Her voice it trembled, but her words were clear. Quote when you murdered Becky, you took from your boys the person who loved them most in this world. You took their mother, the one who held them, comforted them, and fought for them. You left them with an emptiness that can never be filled. Your soul is black with hate, and your heart has love only for itself. You should never be allowed to be free again. There was a long silence after she sat down. Even the judge was shaken, and next Becky's sister Sarah stood up for her statement. She walked slowly to the podium, clutching a paper in her hand, and she took a deep breath before looking directly at Tim and saying, quote, your children's future will be forever impacted by your crime. They're already suffering. You've condemned them to a life of confusion and grief. Maybe you should have googled childhood PTSD in between your searches for homemade silencers and V I N numbers. Finally, it was the judge's turn. Judge Adrian spoke softly at first, but his words carried an unmistakable gravity. Now this quote is very interesting, and I'm gonna read it in a very specific way because it's very important to really really get across the gravity of what he says. Mister Bliefnik, you research this murder, you planned this murder, you practiced this murder. You broke into her house and you shot her one two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen times. He counted it out, his voice raising with each number, and he paused before continuing. Some of those shots were fired while she was still laying on the ground. You did all of that while your children were at home a sleep in their beds, blissfully unaware that their mother was dying alone. The appropriate sentence, in this court's opinion is natural life in prison. Damn, it was the harshest penalty available under Illinois law. Life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, of course, but his the speech there, it's just like, holy shit. Just imagine sitting in that courtroom, hey, and just listening to him count to fourteen.
Speaker 1: Well, that's kind of what I was trying to portray. Shit, why I counted it out to give you kind of that same effect on hearing It's almost like a gunshot each time he said number, It's like it's ringing out, almost playing in real time, and it's heavy.
Speaker 2: God, I feel like I would just be sobbing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now the words were like a final nail sealing the coffin shut. Tim showed little reaction, only a slope and a small nod, as if acknowledging the inevitable, and he declined to make a statement. Becky's three boys went to live with Becky's parents. Sarah and her husband remained closely involved as well, helping raise them together as a family. In the weeks after the sentencing, in the town of Quincy, everyone tried to return to normal life, but the shadow of the belief in the case it lingered over it. The once quiet streets were now marked by camera crews, documentary vans, and visitors stopping by the courthouse just to say they'd seen the place where it all unfolded. Tim, of course, began the process of appealing his convictions, and he maintained his innocence. The irony of his family feud appearance years earlier became a massive stigma in regarding this case. The game show contestant who joked that his biggest mistake was saying I do, only to later stand accused of killing the woman he said it to. Even now, Tim insists that clip means nothing. In an interview, he said it was a joke. It wasn't said with any malice or bad intentions. It was supposed to be funny. But for Becky's family there was nothing to laugh about. They weren't interested in interviews or speculation. They were focused entirely on raising her sons and preserving the memory of who she was. Becky had been a nurse, a friend, a sister, a mother, and the kind of person who made others feel safe. She had earned the Daisy Award nomination for exceptional patient care and had volunteered for an animal rescue group, all while she was going through some of the roughest times of her life. She had cared for strangers as though they were family, and in the end, she had been taken by someone she once trusted the most. As of now, Tim's appeal is still pending. His attorney has filed motions citing insufficient evidence and alleged procedural errors during the trial, though prosecutors remain confident the conviction will stand. For them, the case is closed. But for better He's family, it never truly will be, no matter the appeal results, because honestly, they'll never get to see Becky again. But those who knew Becky say her presence does still linger in the hospital halls where she once worked, and in the stories told by her sister, her mother, her friends, even her sons, and most of all, with her children's laughter as they echoed through the home. But the sound that she loved more than anything. And that's the story of the family feud killer and the murder of Rebecca Bliefnik.
Speaker 2: Oh, it makes me angry that this frickin' guy is of course he would be going for an appeal. I don't know. That just pissed me off right there, because his frickin children are just like having to be put through the goddamn ringer for no reason other than him being a selfish piece as shit.
Speaker 1: You nailed it, that's true.
Speaker 2: He only thinks of himself, really, there's nothing else.
Speaker 1: Well, from day one, that's all he wanted was to control, to have his situation, have his way. People like that are just disgusting. Yeah, And the fact that he would literally murder, not even think about her family, his family, his kids, her well being, her life and all because what because he couldn't manipulate her anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's just unbelievable to even think of his reasoning here or to comprehend it.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't get it.
Speaker 2: It makes no sense. And the fact that he actually thought that he would get away with it is almost comical in this because of all the shit that he did, No kidding, So I don't know, so confidently I guess that he just I don't know. It blows my mind that he thought he would get away with this. Well, even if there is literally no one else that would have done.
Speaker 1: This to her, exactly, even if there wasn't the circumstantial evidence. It's the long list of circumstantial evidence, he would be suspect number one immediately, Yeah, like immediately, not necessarily just because a history and police look at you know, like spouse's first, but because they have a history, they have a bad divorce, all this sort of stuff. He would immediately be suspect number one.
Speaker 2: Even if they were still married, he still would have been.
Speaker 1: Definitely.
Speaker 2: I feel like the ironic thing is too, it's like she needed to be on that show and saying that was her biggest mistake at the wedding was saying I do because it really was, well, it took her frickin' life.
Speaker 1: Well to be true. He did say not me, not me. Maybe he was speaking for his.
Speaker 2: Wife this one. Yeah, this one hurts the fact that she's no longer here. Dang, she just seemed incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, thank you guys for being here. We appreciate you through all these episodes. If you're listening right now, you make a big impact on our show. Staying till the end, going, following us, whoa my voice cracked, going and follow showing us on social media.
Speaker 2: Bens like you know, going through purity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all of it. It makes a big impact and it helps you know what, It helps us grow. So thank you so much for being here. If you wouldn't mind giving us a review, if you haven't yet, that helps us too. Giving us a good review shows other people. You know what, we should probably check this episode, this podcast.
Speaker 2: Out, this awesome podcast.
Speaker 1: Exactly where Researched hosted, produced all of it on our own and our little old tiny home, just us and of course you, so thank you, and until next
Speaker 2: Time, Until next time, stay wicked,