Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services Insure your most Prized possessionets.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Iron the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. You're Blake Eager from the Southern Arizona Sports Tourism and Film Authority. I'm glad you know without you where you're at because I can't say all that stuff. I'd remember my last name, and we have one true last name, Serrano. I think so something like that sounded like this. I'm the Mexican. Oh yeah, definitely not definitely not. Hey, boys, how are you guys? You're lucky your student one am? I yeah, because we'll get to that in a second. Because Blake here is not a student, but he's a fan. And I want to know. Blake. You don't have to tell me the truth. Well, I want you to tell me truth. You don't have to tell me how ever you want to tell me you have deep pockets there, No, you're going to have to dig deep deeper if you want to go see basketball.
Speaker 3: Yeah it looks that way. I mean, you just shared that with me. This is surprising it's it's news. I wasn't expecting to do. Sorry, it's okay. I'm already hanging on by a thread in my life, so you can just throw it in there. Less lot of burger. Yeah, yeah, you're right. Oh yeah, maybe go from the double to the single. Yeah, there you go. That's how we uh yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm trying to in all this conversation, I'm trying to say that the U of A is asking their their loyal ticket holders, and a lot of these different sports they're going to be attached to surcharge kind of I don't know what they called it, searcharge to the tickets that are buying fifty to twenty five dollars per ticket to help with the nil effort. You like it? Are you okay with it?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's so brand new to me right now that I have to I can't wrap my head around it, you know, I don't. I'm a little confused that this is just it's not a understanding of what the future holds.
Speaker 2: It's just this is how it's going to be in this time. We're going to move forward.
Speaker 3: Right where you're not asking the fan base that supports you on a regular basis, you're just telling the fan base. And I think there's a difficult there's a difficult or a sensitive area that you should probably be aware of when you're doing that, because it's the people you're going back. Sure that well only runs so deep. You start bleeding it and bleeding it, you're gonna have some problems moving forward. Yeah, yeah, no question. And I've said this before.
Speaker 2: I think with you, I can't remember all the hosts that I have, but they're already asking the Jim Clicks of the world, and and he's in quotes because he's not the only one. Right, There's a bunch of people out there who give and give and give until probably they can't give anymore because you know, they get what they get in the ROI or whatever. But now they're getting after you and me and whomever. You know what I'm saying, the Joe Blows of the world who loved the university and still love to see them, But now, hey, can you spare time and not just this year?
Speaker 3: Moving forward? Yeah, every year? It looks like, right, I think that the better question. We've had this conversation behind closed doors a little bit, and I guess we're having it on the microphone now, So it's not who I'm not gonna I'm not going to tell you just us, not just us, other people that are very close to the UVE. Right, that's what it's ingrained into our DNA in southern Arizona and Tucson especially that Uh, it has to be a complete partnership that this is going to work. Right, If they're going to help us, you know, rise up to different levels and be more successful as a community, then I can understand this play.
Speaker 2: You've a.
Speaker 3: No, no, you're right, it's it's UVE. So youve as a whole, right, So I mean it's it's a very large entity at the heart of Tucson. It should have Uh maybe we'll want to keep this separate for the time being, but it should have a bigger reach into our community on a whole or as a whole. Right where we're we're allowing for more success in our privateates here, our public industry that's being driven by the U of A that's not a singular entity that's just keeping to itself. So this might be going a little deeper than we probably want to on sports radio, but it's if you're asking us to step up to the plate and give you more money. From an nil standpoint, the plan coming back to us now is how is that going to be reciprocated into our community?
Speaker 2: Fantastic, fantastic point. And that's probably a point that's probably not even thought of right now because their concern is survival and being competitive, and I'm sure they may have thought of that, but you know what I'm saying, that's there, here's another issue, and you wouldn't kind of be on where I wouldn't have gone. However, ex player, good player, naval player making now two hundred fifty three hundred thousand, I've ventured to guess you're not making that. No, you're not making that. How many people in two enter are actually a great point, but they're giving to the dude who's making that much weng. Yeah, it's there's an don't you have don't you think? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: I mean, you're robbing Peter to play Paul at this point, and Peter only has so much money and time and effort and love for the game and sport and university, especially when a large fan base in Tucson didn't go to the University Arizona. We're just twoson ins or Southern Arizona's so Sarah, Southern Arizonans that support the university from a sports standpoint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a tough it's a tough ask. I mean, I think, and this is not a wealthy town. It's not you know.
Speaker 3: And that's when I'm saying that, I mean kids from my neighborhood that grew up where I grew up. Yeah, I'm fine with you going in there and trying to educate and then not meaning that they have to go to the university. But like, here's a path of the direction, here's a direction that you go to for success. But we need to change the culture here that we and it has to start I think at the university level.
Speaker 2: What would you Okay, I assume that you're you're not a grad. Right, you're not a graduate. You went to Denver. Uh, and so, but you have a love for you a right, you have an affinity. You grew up watching them, Yeah, and you love you. Whether it's it's im playing for them or me playing, it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter. You're you're helping that. You want to you want to you to succeed.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: What if you don't get any R or R O I from the money you're giving.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a really good question, Steve. And this is a conversation you and I've had on the show quite a few times. I mean you're talking about what is oro O? I right, what is the expectations now? So, as a fan, I have a vested interest to you? Do I have a vested interest now, especially now on the product you're playing you're putting on the field, right, And that's if that product doesn't meet my expectations. This can this can shatter your relationship between you.
Speaker 2: And a university. It shatters a good word. And rightfully so, I had a friend. I had a friend a few years back. Uh kind of a you know, outspoken voice, just a dude. He just had a regular job, and he would he would complain, Oh, this team sucks and blah blah blah. The football team sucks and the basketball teams underwell, meaning I'm thinking, what you can why you talk about this? Well, I give you know, I support them, and I give them money. How do you do that? Well, my daughter goes there and I says, well, that's not accurate because your money that you pay for tuition doesn't is separate than the University of athletic department. So I was thinking I was told right, kind of not anymore because there's such a big deficit. I could be wrong. Anybody wants to call me, please let me know. And I'm sure that's not true. Your daughter goes and you're happy to center their pay the tuition. It's not connected to the athletic department. Guess what now everything is And now he has every right to say that I think, am I? Am I right?
Speaker 4: One?
Speaker 2: Am I not right? If your money goes to the school, it's part of the u A now with all the delinquency accounts and all that stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm sure money gets thrown around a little bit here, a little bit there, but a large portion of it does get thrown to athletics. So at this point, if you are attending the university, you might as well think you're paying Caleb Love as well.
Speaker 3: But here's the difference of the ROI as a degree, right, they're getting education. So now you're talking about the players, I'm talking about the students are a student, right, So you can say, yeah, I'm paying this money, it's going to these players. I mean, but the ROI for the people that are paying the people that are paying, are getting you're getting a degree from that university US as fans that are paying for either season tickets or just single game tickets.
Speaker 2: Whatever it's going to be.
Speaker 3: Uh, the our ROI better be outcomes on the field, out comes.
Speaker 2: What if? Okay, well sorry, Blake, but you are entertained, aren't you? Are you going to support and you're getting entertainment for some value? Uh? Isn't that enough?
Speaker 3: I mean that I don't want to be considered a fair weather fan when I say this. You can say no, it is to a degree. Let's say that, right, it's a it's an experience, an event. It is to a degree, but it's you're establishing a different route that we've ever been used to.
Speaker 2: But there's so many tentacles for this, right Yeah? And how many other universities are doing this? A lot of them? A lot of them. We've got a call real quick. Who's this here on the air, Yes, Mike Quinn and Mike Quinn. Hey, Mike, Mike full disclosures, my Monday co host. I sent you the thing that I just said, Blake, how do you feel about it? Because you have a few tickets in the hoity toity area of the football stadium.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well, well, first I want to congratulate blank because Steve never asked.
Speaker 2: For my opinion.
Speaker 6: Uh one want I'm on there and and he and he and he lets you finish sentences, so that one.
Speaker 2: Up on me.
Speaker 6: The Uh it's I'll tell you know. I think the thing that I thought was interesting about this whole thing was and they send this out there like, hey, hey, we're not raising ticket prices, Well aren't you. I mean you got this extra fee now, well, I just you know, it's like going, Okay, I understand that we've got stuff that's going to all all our nil contracts and all our obligations there, But I don't know, man. You know, at some point you've got to put a better product on the field, you know, to keep having to pay for something that is they were betting on the com I don't know if that's that's gonna pan out in the long run. You put a good product out there, You're going to have people contribute. That's got to start well.
Speaker 2: So it's not a well to me, it's not a lot of money, but it's still a lot of money. You know. Fifty dollars here, fifty dollars here, not just for four tickets for each ticket. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, well it's it's a little bit of this and a little little bit of that. Yeah, and you know, eventually it turns into real money for for people who are buying this stuff. I mean, you know it's like, oh, yeah, I do sit in the Sands Club. I mean, we have nice seats. But boy, I'll tell you what it's at the you know, I'm at the top end of what I'm going to do, so I don't know. I don't know if I'm gonna buy tickets is here.
Speaker 3: I think the biggest question is is this a sustainable model?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: I mean you're talking about a business plan. If you're putting that pressure and back onto the under the sand experience, this isn't a sustainable model for the long term. And as of right now, we don't see we don't see a change in the anisle where it's moved or how it's gonna move, so it's going to remain the same. There has to be a business thought process when you're going into it where they're creating their own revenue source or additional revenue sourts that's going to go into the nil. They can't be piggybacked on our backs and fans.
Speaker 6: Yeah, eventually it's not gonna it's not gonna it's not gonna work.
Speaker 2: It's gonna collapse.
Speaker 6: I mean, you don't have a fan base like Alabama or Texas A and M or or Texas or something like that that it has its winning tradition. We pretty much have an up and down tradition. So if you start trying to keep Nickel and Diamond people, you're eventually gonna get to the point.
Speaker 2: Where you're at revenue. Your revenue is going to go down. Yeah, you need them to continue. We maybe at that point. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know what this feels like to me is when you go when you go to a stadium and there's a self concession stand and you go up there and you grab your own drink and you grab your own food, and then you go to pay and it goes okay, how about a twenty percent tip? And you're like, I did what I literally I did it all myself. This is what this feels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's absolutely the same way. Same way.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 6: I mean you can sit there and bill it and sit and say it's like listen in order for us, you want a competitive you want a competitive team out there. In order for us to compete, we need to have everybody kick in on this stuff. That's something that you know, that's really realistic right now. But the question is, like, you know, how much of these are we going to be kicking in? We're not a wealthy town. I mean, there's wealthy people here, but to do it, to do it to everybody.
Speaker 7: I think it's going to be a little.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's going to be a little difficult for people to swallow. Yeah, well, I agree with you when I'd.
Speaker 6: Be interested to see if this is a this is a net revenue gain or whether they're going to lose a significant number of season ticket holders.
Speaker 2: I guess we'll see, and if they continue to be mediocre, how many will stick around? That's right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, you have you put a bad product out on the field, people are gonna sit there and go, I mean, what are we three and or four and whatever? And it's like going, I'm paying extra for that? No exactly, you know, yeah, show me something good. So I don't know, uh, well, uh, we'll see how this all plays out. Yeah, I think, you know, I do think that what they should do, they should have made it based on. You know where you're sitting, you know, the people that are sitting in the seats the Sands Club where I'm at, I would have had a bigger surcharge the people that are sitting you know, and you know, you sit there and you look at the scam you got that, You got those three guys that are way at the top, all the way in the back.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if.
Speaker 6: I'd search charge them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true, So yeah, to be fair and equal.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well then then then you kind of spread the pain.
Speaker 2: Yeah anyway, Okay, thanks Mike theif shairing that, good luck. I promise I promise to let you talk more later. The hell you come on in Mondays he talks about this is the like who on Monday Monday. Oh can't even get to my show here. Okay, let's take a break here. We're gonna get ahold of Doug Hollard from the athletic He's been coming the team for a long time. He's been here recently. He was here for the Houston game. He had a very good story on the TJ McConnell's situation with his jersey. So we'll talk a lot about you a basketball.
Speaker 8: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website. Credit that's credit. Enter it right now, Foxsports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 9: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 9: Discover with Casino del Soul the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready Enterprise of Fasco Yuki Try The.
Speaker 10: Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 5: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 11: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else.
Speaker 12: At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you.
Speaker 11: Choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve.
Speaker 12: Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 11: Edge and exercise equipment On twenty second just west of will Not.
Speaker 13: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Recognize your employees.
Speaker 13: Salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products to choose from.
Speaker 2: Don't forget your corporate apparel.
Speaker 13: For a great sharp look twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 14: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Volpe team dot com. That's Volpe Team dot com or called five two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven, arizon A b k Ninez two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity Got to commitment to Lindrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with don't notice.
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 15: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking to start or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 9: As one of the.
Speaker 15: Leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards.
Speaker 2: And trading card games.
Speaker 15: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them on it showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trust Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 13: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bacall five two oh seven to four to Roho twelve thirteen. Broud sponsor of Iye on the Ball Go.
Speaker 16: Cats, got bugs, termites, fees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down.
Speaker 2: Arizona Pest Control is your.
Speaker 16: Complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation. Today, baseball fans, it's time to experience the thrill of the game like never before. The World Baseball Classic Qualifiers coming to Tucson, Arizona, and you don't want to miss this incredible event. For four action pack days, the world's best teams will compete for their spot in the Global Championship. The games are set for March second, third, fourth, and sixth. Each day features two games at eleven am and six pm, with the finale on March sixth at six pm. Join us at Keno Veterans Memorial Baseball Stadium, located at the Kenosports Complex in Tucson. It's the perfect venue to watch your league baseball talent from around the globe feel the excitement. Is powerhouse team from Germany, Brazil, China, and Columbia take the field.
Speaker 2: Whether you're a lifelong fan or just.
Speaker 4: Looking for an unforgettable day out, the World Baseball Classic Qualifier is an event for everyone in Southern Arizona. Bring your friends, your family, and your love for the game to Tucson this March. Tickets are selling fast, so don't wait. Visit World Baseball Classic dot com or SASTFA dot com. That's SASFA dot com to secure your seats today. This message is brought to you by the Southern Arizona Sports Tourism and Film Authority.
Speaker 10: The Window Depot wants to help bring your dream kitchen to life. As a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service you won't find at the big box stores. From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware and sinks, our designers are here to guide homeowners every step of the way, all under one roof. Find a location near you or shop online at the Window Deepot dot com. The Window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 8: Streamy Live on the iHeartRadio while this is High on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to Why in the Ball Hero Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera and with me today is break Eager. Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna say the rest you take it. No, that's fine, and we know who you are.
Speaker 2: Okay. Now on the phone, we have mister Doug Holler from the athletic How are you, Doug?
Speaker 7: I see I'm doing really well.
Speaker 2: How you doing fine? Thank you. Hadn't seen you in a while. I wondered if you had not paid your parking tickets at UA and that's why you couldn't come down.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I have not been I haven't done a lot of college basketball this year. I have been kind of tied up with all the Phoenix Suns drama up here, which was pretty intensive to trade deadline. But given where they are, I think that's probably going to go away here over the next couple of months because I just don't see them making much of a charge.
Speaker 2: So I'm hoping to.
Speaker 7: Do a little bit more college basketball here for these next two months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Well let's go back and circle back to the Suns at the end of the college basketball situation. So I wanted to commend you about the story. I read maybe a month or so, probably longer than that on the TJ McConnell's story for his sign or his Jersey's retirement. A good, very good story. In fact, you went the extra extra mile and you spoke to Sean for a little bit. How was that.
Speaker 17: Good?
Speaker 7: You know, I got to know obviously Sean a little bit during his time here, and and you know, he's been really good about you know, whenever i've you know, I kind of once he left, you know, when DeAndre Aiden was with the Sons, I talked to Sean a few times, so that kind of helped. So you know, I just kind of text him. And it was terrible timing. They had Cincinnati that coming up that week and I think Yukon right after that. But you know, he said he we talked and he said, I got a few minutes and we ended up pocket for I think fifteen or twenty minutes. Because as you know, TJ is one of his that's one of his favorite players all the time. So yeah, I mean the stories from I wanted to do that story because I remember, I mean I always thought that TJ was the pack Fell player of the year that year and they gave it to Joe Young, the guard from Oregon. But you know, just the the presence that he had on the court, and you know, the energy that he brought, just one of those players that he just it's hard to forget just the impact that he made.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no question is a good story because you went a lot of different ways with it, a lot of different sources, and it was it was real good. And he talks to you. I mean you might be the only local guy or you know, Arizona guy that he talks to frequently.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well yeah, and then Stanley Johnson I got a hold of I think I can't remember where he's playing overseas, you know. And then TJ. I wasn't. I was trying to get in touch with him, and I wanted the story to run because they were coming to Phoenix, cluviously to play the Sun but I was going to go out to practice, but the timing didn't because they were flying in too late. And then you know, the Pacers had him reach out in which I wasn't expecting. The story has already written, and then TJ called, so I had to rework some things. But yeah, that was a fun one. To do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no question, and a great guy, one of the better players in the last fifteen years here, a lovable, affable, very good and you wouldn't think that, but he is. And the story, the story that you I think I first heard for you was that, you know, hey, don't screw this up for us, which is a perfect leader situation. I don't care how good you are, don't screw this season up for us, which is a leader.
Speaker 7: To the Yeah, yeah, I guess that was in a practice situation where Stanley wasn't going as hard. You know, Stanley was a freshman that year, and you know, Joe Pasenak told me that story, so that he got in his face and said, hey, look, you know, don't screw this up for us, you know, And then I talked to I think I talked to Sean, and Stanley was great. I mean a lot of players would kind of shy away from that type of thing, but he pretty much said, yeah, that's how it went down, and kind of got him on track. But you know, I mean, as you, I'm sure you got to discuss did you see this with with TJ going to the NBA and playing as long as he has, he has Yeah, no, because I can't. I didn't think back for a second.
Speaker 2: This was twenty fifteen something like that, and in Shaun says, I guarantee you he's gonna play in the league, and we're all like okay, sure, okay, right, and then he then he started playing out of his mind and then he got that contract and got thing it was. It's been unbelievable. Ten years later, he's still there and he's working his ass off.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah, he's a difference maker coming off the bench for sure.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 7: You just love those type of stories as ones that you don't see coming.
Speaker 2: No, no, okay, now let's get to the UFA basketball program. What did you see? You saw him against Houston? I think I think, like me, maybe maybe not. They played well enough to win the game, just didn't And that says a lot and as much as they were close but couldn't pull it off.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, I came away there feeling better about Arizona than I have earlier this season because, as you mentioned, they had a chance to win that game. I mean, defensively, they were tone to toe with Houston for most of that game. You know, I think the difference, as you mentioned, and probably wrote was just the execution in the last five minutes. Houston really did a great job of shutting down Caleb Love there late in the second half. Yeah, And I thought he brought up, you know, a good point there after when he was talking to us and just said like, hey, look, you know, and there was a little frustration in his what I thought, But he said, they've been doing this for ten eleven years. You know, we're still we're just building that and you know we're going to get to that point. We're close. And I think that game kind of proved that they were close, you know that it was a it was a gritty kind of you know, rock fight type of game, and you know, I think it was encouraging to see. I think, you know, Arizona be able to you know, fight in a game like that and have a chance to win.
Speaker 3: Hey, Douglas is Blake, thanks for joining us today. I really appreciate it. I guess I guess the question on my part, I mean, you were at the Houston game. You saw the way we played, right and and Houston's their top let's say, top four program right top five in the nation right now, depending on what you look at from the SEC standpoint. I mean, that's a true test, and I know it's a home game, but the takeaway that you had from you of a does that put them in a category where you wouldn't be surprised if you saw them go as far as like say an Elite eight standpoint?
Speaker 7: That's always hard to say. You know, it's a different u of a team. Obviously, you don't have the star power, uh that you have that you that we've seen on teams from the past, you know, I mean, is there I mean, I don't know. Can you name a guy that you think will definitely you have a long career in the NBA on this team at this point Carter.
Speaker 2: Bryant will find you my best guess and long.
Speaker 7: Long career, I don't know that that would be my guess, uh, And he's, you know what a year or two away from that. I mean, it's not like the one in the obvious one and done player. I always, I always hesitate to say capable of the long run because it's all, you know, dictated on matchups and everything. I don't know. I think they're capable of winning a game or two. I don't know if I could go beyond that right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you were in the press room with us at the end of the game, and you you talked about Tommy being a little frustrated. What did you kind of observe from him, because he he was on Timmy like throughout that whole thing, you know, a little defensive, a little aggressive, YadA YadA. Even you know, he joked with me as he was looking at me, do you think you're gonna lose?
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, No, I.
Speaker 7: Missed the beginning of it because I went out.
Speaker 12: I had to.
Speaker 7: I wrote about Kelvin SAMs on that, so I followed him out and talked to him for a few minutes out of the hallway, and then I went back in. And you know, the biggest takeaway I had from that press conference, Steve, was just what you mentioned, like you think we're going to lose? I mean it was I mean he pretty much said everyone in here things were going to lose and uh, which which was really weird. I mean, I don't know if there was something written, uh, you know, locally that made him that sparked that, or something earlier in the press conference that I had missed, but I thought that kind of came out of nowhere, or did you know, it wasn't like they were going I mean, the short turnarounds, that's not ideal. But you know, Baylor hasn't been Baylor this season, so I mean, I think probably most people in the room thought, well, you know, I have a decent chance to win. You know, they've been playing pretty well. But the exception of the previous that game and the previous game at Kansas State. But yeah, I thought that was a little strange, out of the blue and maybe revealed a little bit of his frustration just to how that game against Houston ended.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it was out of the blue with a little strange for the whole I don't know. We were in there for fifteen minutes and maybe a few of those questions and he was asked a couple of you know, repeat questions. I'm sure he was frustrated after that loss and he just wasn't like Tommy. But you know, hey, winning solves a lot of problems, and he did that on Monday with Baylor. H It's his team. Is hard to compare it to others because it is better than others. In defense, it's a little scrappy, it gets after it, YadA YadA, but it doesn't score like the past one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's obviously the biggest red flag. You know, they might be better built for March. You know, I think at times, uh that we've seen under Tommy. Uh, you know, I don't want to say I'm not I'm not saying they have been thought, but I think they've gotten They've run into obviously in Houston that year in the Sweet sixteen, they run into opponents and and maybe get out toughed a little bit. I don't know if that's going to be a problem with this team because yeah, just from what I saw on Saturday, you know, the shop making, that would be the probably the base concern. You just don't know what Cale Love's going to give you on a night night and night out. Basis Bradley struggled on Saturday. You know, I think he will play better, but you know he's kind of going through it a little bit right now. So when you know, when they need when they need points, especially late in the game, you know, can they get it from Caleb Love. You know, he's he's a guy that I would not want to bet against, but he has birds where Uh. You know, his confidence is obviously his his strong suit. And I thought Kelvin Sampson, I'm sure you guys hurt in his uh leading up before he left Houston summed up really well. He said he has the freedom to miss shots, and you know that is such a huge thing for a player when you can take a shot when you're when you think you're feeling or trying to get into a groove and not have to worry about being taken out. I think that sums up Kailed perfectly. But you know, if he could be a little bit more consistent, I'd feel a little bit better about him.
Speaker 2: You and everybody else in the five to two. Oh, are you coach to switch gears real quick? Because I don't think you've covered the issue all that much. Maybe you have a little what you had in the past.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: What's up with Bobby? I mean it looks like he's saying, you know, scorching the earth with his last season and saying, hell, I'm gonna say whatever I want because it doesn't matter anymore.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's and you're right, I haven't been around as much I pay attention to them. It's going to be I think it will be an interesting decision, uh for Graham Rossini, their new Athletic Directorcity in the year what they're going to do with the basketball program, because you know, they've they feel like they got the football program in the right place, and I know there's a lot of resources and energy going to that. You know, is it time to make a change with the basketball program. I don't know. It sounds like they're going to announce soon a renovation plan for Wells or for Desert Financial Arena, which is long overdue. So sometimes when something like that, when schools start thinking about that, they start thinking about the program and the growth of it, and you know, if they're seeing the progress they didn't need to make. You know, Bobby's been there a while. I know he has some strong supporters inside and outside the program. But you know, they they have some talent this year, some of it's young talent, and they've had some injuries, but the results haven't been there. And then you know they've had some some discipline issues. You know, when you team captain, you know, gets ejected in tight games and you lose those games, that's that's not a very good look at all. So it seems to me when you watch them that they're a team that's kind of like saying Okay, let's let's let's get this, let's get this season over with. I really get interested to see if they can find just another gear just to try to you know, finish this this season out with the you know, just a little bit better effort.
Speaker 2: Right, let's go back. You have question.
Speaker 3: No, I was just going to say, I think that's something you can say about a SU the last four or five years. It's it's kind of the same rhetoric right where they're young, they're talented, but they don't find a way to win, and then you lose composure on a constant basis that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, let's go back.
Speaker 7: So I'm sorry, go ahead, No, I'll just say losing their composure, you know that you know, at the end of the u of a game. You know, Bobby's a part of that. And you know, he was asked us about on the radio local radio up here the other day about whether the fact his sideline demeanor kind of bleeds into his players at times and leads of that, and you know, he said he thinks it's more the frustration of just how the season has gone, you know, entering the season with high hopes in CAA tournament, hopes entering a new conference and then have a kind of spiral like this. But I don't think it's unreasonable to kind of make that, you know, to kind of link those two that you know, one might have something to.
Speaker 2: Do with the other. Yeah. No, And that's a good question and a good point. So maybe lastly, let's talk about what you first brought up with the Suns. We all want to have a good job and go to a job. I'm sure you love your job, but sometimes you have to go to a job that it sometimes is difficult. Has it been difficult covering the Suns team, given they kind of are mediocre with some very good players and it just doesn't seem like anything's getting fixed.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the job part of it. I mean, I enjoy covering the NBA, and you know, when you have like newsmakers like Kevin Durant and Devin Booker and to a lesser extent, even Bradley Beal, there's always something to write about. I mean, for example, you Devin book which, Devin Booker just became the franchise's career scoring leader. Kevin Durand just passed thirty thousand points. That trade deadlight was you know, pretty intense, So there's always been reasons to strong reasons to go out there, strong storylines to follow. Now I am concerned about the second half of the season, with them being two games under five hundred and really just I think for the first time, I think the last just right before the All Star break. And I've talked to some other reporters who cover the team about this. You can kind of tell that they under that they finally realized like, Okay, you know, this isn't us just trying to all get healthy. Uh, this isn't working. So I think it's gonna be really interesting to see, you know, what their motivation is like for the next couple of months, just given the fact that they know that or seem to know that this is not going to work. And there's a really really good chance that some major major changes will have made over or over the off season.
Speaker 2: And then you have a dude who owns the team, who has more money than God and can make something. But but will they happen? Well, he's he's yeah.
Speaker 7: And you know when people ask me about Matespia, I tell them, like, you know, if I had to to guess, I would say that he will bring a title to Scenic Phoenix will win the cent will win the title under his watch because of his you know, mindset, his resources. You know, if something's not working. I don't think there was any anything wrong with trying, you know, to give Kevin Durant. You could argue about Bradley Beal, but it was worth the risk. It didn't work, and you know, Matt's not real patient. If something's not working, he's going to make changes. It'll be interesting to see of what kind of rebuild you know, the censor looking at. But you know he's going to keep making changes, some that you know, big, some small. But that's just the type of owner he is. So I think it's always going to be interesting. But yeah, it'll be I would I really want to know if we'll ever look back and say, like, Okay, we made a mistake. We shouldn't have broken up that that team that went to the final than twenty twenty one and traded for Durant. That'll be interesting see if you ever admit that, because it just.
Speaker 2: Hasn't worked out right, right, and the coach that they had is now doing fairly well in Detroit, I think, right, yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, no, Minny Williams was Uh, yeah, he was fired there. But that's another look. I mean three coaches in three years that haven't been able to figure it out. I mean you go to Monty Williams, to Frank Logel and now Mike Budholder and nothing's changed. They've gotten worse each year. So what more can you change it You look at the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before Williams, there was a slew of coaches before that too, Right, Yeah.
Speaker 7: It's been a revolving door. But yeah, they've changed everything. I mean just the Booker Durant tandem for whatever reason, just has not produced the results that everyone expected.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I appreciate your time. Man, good to hear from.
Speaker 7: You, you too, Steve. Good soon you guys, and hopefully we'll talk again soon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see you again. Thanks, man, appreciate it. That was mister Doug Holler from the Athletic. Just take a break, we might be a little over and maybe take some calls, talk about whatever you want to talk about, basketball ticket prices, stuff like that. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now, take a look back at the Ludolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach, Lessons from Lout is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 18: Hey, Wildcat Nation, Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team. Over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for a lesson two hundred dollars a month. If you want to boid getting gouged on the Exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four AH three five five one four four four four ah three five five one.
Speaker 13: Four four four what's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash Someday, Hey.
Speaker 2: Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today. We're big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three. Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 15: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health of Course to feel better and look better.
Speaker 11: It makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who.
Speaker 12: Know it better than anyone else.
Speaker 11: At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 12: Arizona Health the.
Speaker 2: Leading match and exercise equipment.
Speaker 12: On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 13: Tucson, It's time for the Cola Guard Classic by Exact Sciences March seventh through the ninth at La Poloma Country Club and the Western La Paloma Resort and Spa. Come see some of golf's greatest players competing for the coveted Tucson can Quisador's helmet. It's PGA Tour Championship Golf at its finest. Don't forget to do us Friday and Saturday Night under the Stars to watch Vanilla Ice and co Et Sol live in concert at Rito Park. The Coli Guard Classic by Exact Sciences benefiting colorectal cancer awareness in Tucson youth sports. Get your tickets and more at Colo Guard Classic dot com. This that is brought to you by file Bomb Crowley Investment Group at OURBC Wealth Management.
Speaker 19: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union, we believe less is more, Lis peace need more money in your pocket, lis hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the tuc Sun Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union, where less is More federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 8: This is I on the ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifty want to take part in the ship? Oh call up steam now went five to two oh four, one, six, seventy four, forty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to the ball Hero Fox Sports Sports and fifty I'm see where you're Blake.
Speaker 3: You're from Southern Arizona Sports Tourism and Film Authority.
Speaker 2: And one where are you from? Arizona? Desert swarm, there's a storm. We got everybody in the house. A good interview with Doug. You got to insightful stuff from Doug. Your World Baseball Classic starts soon? Does March second? Are you busy? Am I busy? Are you relaxed? Uh?
Speaker 3: No, not relaxed? Yeah, yeah, this is great. It meit's wild. So in the purview, like kind of the general idea of everything we were talking about it off here, but uh it's it's nerve wracking. I'm excited, right, I'm excited. This is unbelievable.
Speaker 19: Man.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: If you get a chance to look at the Columbian roster, like, you've got some big time players playing in March and Tucson, Like, it's really exciting.
Speaker 2: Would they they they're not in the major League, Yeah, of course they are. You've killed Grio Orchella. You've got currently in the Yeah, so they haven't started. They're not gonna go to.
Speaker 3: They're still going to spring training, so they go. They'll leave early and come down here and play and go afterwards. So you always as a player from an international standpoint, it's the same thing. I know, you don't watch football or soccer depending on you want to call it, but you you for that year. You change your training in the off season, so you probably move it up two to three weeks, maybe a month depending on. Uh So, like a guy like Kintana probably goes for four four four innings, four to five innings. He's probably on a pitch count of eighty eighty five or you can be a little bit more that, depending on where you're at. But yeah, those guys are headed right back to spring training afterwards.
Speaker 2: Okay. So yeah, you're gonna have some people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got Andre Agassi and Steffi Grafs kid playing for Germany.
Speaker 2: They're right up the road in Las Vegas. Hopefully they come down.
Speaker 3: You can, you can announce that, Yeah, the rosters are out. You couldn't do that before. Yeah, I know that now I can. They're officially Outlay he's a pitcher.
Speaker 2: He went to USC he played the back. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then you've got Manny Roomiers and Dante Bachet's kids playing for.
Speaker 2: I'm old for Brazil. I'm old, you're old, looks Listen.
Speaker 3: We don't need to say I'm old on I just told you that I'm so stressed. I don't need you saying now that I'm old as well.
Speaker 2: When I first mentioned you had some nice red hair, no, it's all white. It's going to be gone by the red whatever line's white. Yeah, you get a great hitd of Hairstill. Oh yeah, yeah, what are you ninety two? That's your dude looking great? Yes? Could you move me to it course so cool. So tickets, let's get some of that out of the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's let's let's talk about tickets. So you can go on www dot world Baseball Classic dot com, or you can go on s A s t f A dot com. That's Southern Arizona Sports Tourism and Film Authority dot com. UH fifteen dollars tickets for general emission to twenty five dollars tickets for preferred seating h five dollars parking. We're gonna have tons of specials. You've got Thursday night, you five dollar twenty four ounce modelos for you know, five bucks and dollars hot dogs on our college night Sunday night, you got to beat can't beat that. No, you can't go anywhere and grab that. I was talking to you about this like in August. August really maybe we.
Speaker 2: Were gonna we were probably texting back and for Steve can't talk about you got any think from Steve. Can't talk about September because Steve can't talk about maybe soon, maybe soon. So this is like a seventh month. How long would did this start? Like the talks?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we were we were working on the spring, we were working on the spring training piece, we were working on the A ball team piece, and this all the same time. But this was kind of the ladder of all of those, I'd say probably really started working through negotiations and.
Speaker 2: February last year, February sold this. This is the world of the nine month birth. Yeah, and we're really turning it around. I mean, you think we signed the I think I shared this with you the they were planning on WBC World Baseball Classic and j League Baseball. We're coming out here for a tour of the facility, a site visit, and a press conference. But we had not signed the official contract yet because we we got it back late from their side, and they got it back from late from Martin and it was just going back and forth and going back and forth, and then so we signed the contract on the friday.
Speaker 3: Before they came out on a Monday. We signed the contract on a Friday like they were coming out. Anyway, we would have had to cancel the press four It's November twelfth, oh, you know. So we signed the contract I think on on November ninth, right, So it was like late in the day. We all had to jump on a call. We had to bring legal in sign the contract. They fly in Monday, we do a press conference on Tuesday, and then obviously you know Snoop Dog, Arizona Bole there are you know, they're they're running our operations, they're helping out. There are partners in this whole thing. They had they had the Arizona Bole to prepare for. So we were planning on having this and signed and having some months. So we really have turned this around in like eight to ten weeks.
Speaker 2: So there were two things you said that kind of struck me that I don't know what you mentioned it spring training, spring training, single, Yeah, what's up? What? Yeah? So we went down the road.
Speaker 3: I thought we had this conversation if we went down the road really far, and these are the things that I was telling you that I probably couldn't have talked about. But I think we're still working on the plan right now with Major League Baseball and spring training for twenty twenty six. So we're looking at a modified spring training and Tucson to start from. How So, yes, you've got a couple of different areas here, but the international piece would be we would go we would house hopefully two teams from the Summer League for Mexico. They would be housed out of southern Arizona, similar to what the Mexican Baseball Fiesta does. And there are partners on this as well. And then they you would have teams from the Cactus League come down and play games at Keno and then those teams would go up to Phoenix play.
Speaker 2: Okay, congratulations, and then we'll talk more. This call. We got a call. Okay, perfect, Hello, you're on the air and one of the ball who's this?
Speaker 17: Hey?
Speaker 2: Hi? How would turn off that radio?
Speaker 17: I just did?
Speaker 2: Okay? Cool?
Speaker 17: So yeah, okay, I had to bring it back to we're mature, We're not old, and I'm older than.
Speaker 7: Both of you.
Speaker 17: Okay. Anyway, I got to weigh in on the Suns. Of course with my opinion. We all have opinions. Bull Bowls, he's he's We can't we're not putting our everything on Bull Bull. But he's playing good day. They did a side by side with him and Wemby and Bull Bull Bowls. The recent stats have have have equalled his with everything.
Speaker 2: What do they need to do?
Speaker 17: We need big, big things, just like you have a I'm sure if the next draft class is gonna have a lot more six eight players. Next year, we got to get a few more. But you know, remember well got green on Golden State. You know, he during the weekend, he had to say something, Oh, the Warriors are gonna.
Speaker 2: Win, right. No, he's gonna say whatever he says, right, and I'm not.
Speaker 17: Gonna go that far. But I'm gonna say we're gonna win a first round because we didn't even win one game last year.
Speaker 2: Well, you got to get into the playoffs. I think they're twelve right now.
Speaker 17: Well, I know we will have to be up against a first or second seat at this point. Yeah, you know, I think we're gonna avoid the play in but it is what it is. At least we'll win a game. We're not gonna get swept.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll see what happens. It is, remember this.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I don't want to say. Yeah, I'm not I'm not not going kamikaze yet.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay, Well, well i'll write this down Jebruary nineteenth. You said they're gonna win a game in the playoffs.
Speaker 17: Okay, we'll tuck you later.
Speaker 2: Okay. Thanks. So we're talking about so and then single again Single.
Speaker 3: We went down really really far down that line. So we possibility not in the near future. That got that got put on a hard pause by MLB. But there's a different there's a different play that we're all working on right now and that that might be actually be able to announce here pretty soon with you. Okay, that one is that one's really exciting. I want to come back tomorrow. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, I could lose my job. Let's do that. No, Steve, this is perfect, kid. Let's get me on the radio. Let's get me to say things I shouldn't be saying. I'll get fired and then I'm gonna come to you. Just a great job.
Speaker 2: You just say you have an extra room for me. Yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because my wife's like, hey, you're sorry, you're covering You're not covering your half of the mine.
Speaker 2: I told you. I told you, Blake, that you needed to be quiet. This is your wife talking, Blake. I've always said you talk too much. Yeah, you tell people too much. I'm an open book man. This is how I tell people. I'm gonna come in there, I'm gonna be honest, I'm gonna be vulnerable. You're gonna take me for what I am, right I do take Blue Cross Blue shields couches right there. Yeah, I got United Health. Do you take that? I take that? I need it fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were we were at lunch today with PEMA Health and they were like, yeah, you get your five first five first visits free. I think I said that right for a therapy session. I was like, well, what's the age on it? And they started laughing. I was like, no, I'm serious, like eighteen to twenty four. Then she goes, but it's over the phone, and I got my voice can't even be twenty four years old? Or yeah, what purpose is that? It's by zoom? Yeah, it's by zoom. Yeah, yeah, what the hell?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, anybody else want to call? We have about a few minutes. So much way that well, no, we got two minutes, never two minutes. Two minutes goes by past Howard Triok all that time. Thank you have no but your stuff with the WBC. We'll talk more about that because we continue to move forward. So many things going on this week. It's the rodeo, right, yeah, rodeo, and then we have the color.
Speaker 3: Then we have all you guys, we have you with us, you guys, and then we were all right, into the coltard you got. I mean, like you think about where we're at right now. It's a two month span of just stuff happening all over.
Speaker 2: The right in between that with the men's basketball, women's basketball, all the other UA baseball, you have baseball and softball starting right Tusan. This is why. And then the weather's fantastic. Yeah, it's supposed to be in upper eighties this week next week.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Everybody we talked to that's on the phone in the Northeast is like it's negative eighteen, right, Like it got down to forty eight, but it'll be one hundred and fifteen soon. Yeah, and then we'll because in November. Yeah, Okay, well we good to go.
Speaker 2: Maybe Yeah, let's say let's go come back some break the news that we're gonna have Bruce Pasco off his trip that he went to Baylor, and then more sports